PDA

View Full Version : Harbour owner pursues dream of joining PBA

gameface_one
01-16-2008, 07:30 AM
Harbour owner pursues dream of joining PBA

Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Philstar.com

With nothing more to prove in the PBL, four-time champion Harbour Centre is knocking on the PBA door again.

“That’s what people are saying – that we have nothing more to prove in the PBL. Maybe it’s time to move up to the PBA. But it will all depend on the negotiations,” said team owner Mikee Romero.

The youthful cage patron, who bankrolled the Philippine team that won the men’s basketball gold in the recent Southeast Asian Games in Thailand, is only hoping for the best.

“If only the PBA would allow us to bring in around eight of my players, then maybe we can make the decision to join the PBA,” said Romero in yesterday’s PSA Forum at Shakey’s UN Ave.

“I’d be happy if they allow me to bring in eight players.”

Romero, however, did not say whether he was willing to buy a new franchise worth close to P60 million, or wait for an opportunity to buy an old one at a lesser price.

There are 10 teams in the PBA now, and Welcoat was the last to come in after taking over the Shell franchise two years ago, almost the same time Harbour Centre made its bid to join the pro league.

“We’re willing to talk. And if we can get the right mix, then that’s it,” added Romero, winner of four straight titles in the PBL, a feat that has never been done before.

Romero mentioned the names of some of his players he would like to bring in once they make it to the PBA.

They are TY Tang, Rico Maierhofer, Solomon Mercado, Gerwin Gaco, Jeff Chan and Jonathan Fernandez. – Abac Cordero

mighty_lion
01-16-2008, 09:18 AM
I hope this pushes through. I feel now that PBA needs at least two expansion teams for the next five years. Good luck Mr. Romero.

Dark Knight
01-16-2008, 12:06 PM
I hope they wont become Welcoat Dragons. ;D

nastrans
01-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Pwede ring iretain nila yung Batang Pier na monicker nila.

james_ty
01-16-2008, 01:28 PM
I hope they wont become Welcoat Dragons.* ;D

For that to happen, Harbour has to elevate more than three players from their PBL team and get the top pick in the draft.

If the new PBA commissioner responds to these conditions, Harbour is as good as in.

The presence of the Batang Pier will surely boost the PBA. The league is in hard times now since Noli Eala left as commissioner.

jiggerman04
01-16-2008, 06:57 PM
Sana nga ma elevate sa PBA ang harrbour,, na mmonopolize na kasi masyado ng sanmiguel corporation ang PBA,, kaya minsan nakakatamad manood ng PBA...

gameface_one
01-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Harbour must formally reapply — Barrios

By Waylon Galvez
mb.com.ph

IF HARBOUR Centre is serious in its desire to join the PBA, Sonny Barrios, the league’s Officer-In-Charge (OIC) said yesterday that it has to submit a new application.

This was because Harbour Centre owner Mikee Romero withdrew their application form after he was named godfather of the amateur basketball team that participated and won the gold medal in last year’s SEA Games.

"If it was withdrawn, then technically there’s no application. They have to formally reapply," Barrios said.

"We’re thinking about it, but let us first win our fifth straight PBL title before re-filing our application form," said Romero. "We decided to withdraw because of our duty to the country."

Since helping the RP-Harbour team win the SEABA Championship in Jakarta, Romero has spent at least R25 million.

Prior to the withdrawal of its application, the PBA, under then Commissioner Noli Eala, and Harbour Centre twice had meetings and discussed the possibility of joining the pro league.

With its success in the PBL, many believe Harbour Centre is already ripe for the pro league.

"That’s what people are saying that we have nothing more to prove in the PBL, maybe it’s time to move up," Romero said.

Romero even mentioned that it would be a lot easier for Harbour to decide if the PBA will allow them to bring eight of their players in the amateur team.

Among the names being considered by Romero are Jason Castro, Beau Belga, TY Tang, Rico Maierhofer, Solomon Mercado, Gerwin Gaco, Jeff Chan and Jonathan Fernandez.

A PBA franchise is worth between R60 million to R80 million, although Romero did not mention whether or not to buy a new franchise or buy an old one at a lesser price.

"But before discussing Harbour’s possible entry, there are two things that need to be answered. "Is the PBA open to another team? That’s the first question. Second is if there’s no application, there’s nothing to consider. So they have to reapply, then we can look at their application," said Barrios.

There are 10 teams in the PBA at the moment with Welcoat Paints the last to join the league two years ago.

coreytaylor
01-18-2008, 02:31 PM
I hope they will join the PBA soon because too many good players are getting wasted. They are not given enough time to play or not being utilized in a game at all. There are only 10 teams in the league and in each team, they can only have 12-14 players. Dami talagang nasasayang na magagaling na mga players tulad nila Gabby Espinas, Boyet Bautista, Macky Escalona, RJ Rizada, Mark Andaya, Yousif Aljamal, Jonas Villanueva and even now Larry Fonacier and Willy Wilson in Magnolia, and the list goes on...... Also, don't count out those players who were drafted from the PBL but were not signed at all. I think each team in the PBA right now is a very star-studded team and the problem is, all of the players can't play. Swerte na lang kung mapupunta ang isang player sa Red Bull because they can surely play a lot of minutes under coach Yeng's philosophy of balance scoring and not having a go-to-guy type of player. I hope they can add 2 or 3 teams, or more the better to make the league more competitive. What you think???

james_ty
01-18-2008, 02:37 PM
I hope they will join the PBA soon because too many good players are getting wasted. They are not given enough time to play or not being utilized in a game at all. There are only 10 teams in the league and in each team, they can only have 12-14 players. Dami talagang nasasayang na magagaling na mga players tulad nila Gabby Espinas, Boyet Bautista, Macky Escalona, RJ Rizada, Mark Andaya, Yousif Aljamal, Jonas Villanueva and even now Larry Fonacier and Willy Wilson in Magnolia, and the list goes on...... Also, don't count out those players who were drafted from the PBL but were not signed at all. I think each team in the PBA right now is a very star-studded team and the problem is, all of them can't play because each player is fighting for minutes. Swerte na lang kung mapupunta ang isang player sa Red Bull because they can surely play a lot of minutes under coach Yeng's philosophy of balance scoring and not having a go-to-guy type of player. I hope they can add 2 or 3 teams, or more the better to make the league more competitive. What you think???

Gabby Espinas used to play for Harbour in the PBL pero sandali lang siya tinagal doon.

These players that you mentioned can be placed in the expansion pool and Harbour can easily recruit them and make them stars.

erichubert
01-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Actually there could still be room for the players mentioned without adding a new team as long as teams like Magnolia and Talk N Text don't resort to hoarding star players. I mean why did they trade for Fonacier in the first place if they wouldn't use him at all. Same with Calaguio and Wilson. Meanwhile we see Welcoat signing players like Ballesteros, Mente and Tangkay because they couldn't sign the stars away from the big teams.

glock23
01-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Actually there could still be room for the players mentioned without adding a new team as long as teams like Magnolia and Talk N Text don't resort to hoarding star players. I mean why did they trade for Fonacier in the first place if they wouldn't use him at all. Same with Calaguio and Wilson. Meanwhile we see Welcoat signing players like Ballesteros, Mente and Tangkay because they couldn't sign the stars away from the big teams.

and the thing is, those two teams which you mentioned hoarding superstars are not exactly winning championships! too many stars in one team will never translate to a crown.... ;) Harbour center will be a welcome addition to the PBA and under the leadership of mikee romero will create an impact right away.

abcdef
01-18-2008, 05:02 PM
yeah i agree that they should be included. Bigger league means more money. How I wish Noli Eala never made that boo-boo. I can imagine PBA playing may out of the country games and a resurgence of the PBA back into the limelight.

cub
01-19-2008, 10:08 AM
I wish Reed Juntilla will be included in Harbour's lineup if they join the pros. Reed=Chico Lanete.

erichubert
01-19-2008, 02:07 PM
I agree, Reed in my opinion is the best amateur free agent right now and he is still young. He has lots of potential and can be a sleeper in any team. Harbour doesn't need to elevate 8 players for them to be successful, maybe 3-5 would be enough. TY, Mercado, Castro and Belga would do, Rico will most probably play one more year for DLSU. The 4 plus Robbie Reyes if he comes back would be a good core already. Add Reed, Magpayo and the players from the expansion draft like Wilson, Espinas, Fonacier and Escalona etc and they will easily be better than Coke and Welcoat right off the bat.

james_ty
01-19-2008, 02:35 PM
I agree, Reed in my opinion is the best amateur free agent right now and he is still young. He has lots of potential and can be a sleeper in any team. Harbour doesn't need to elevate 8 players for them to be successful, maybe 3-5 would be enough. TY, Mercado, Castro and Belga would do, Rico will most probably play one more year for DLSU. The 4 plus Robbie Reyes if he comes back would be a good core already. Add Reed, Magpayo and the players from the expansion draft like Wilson, Espinas, Fonacier and Escalona etc and they will easily be better than Coke and Welcoat right off the bat.

Reed Juntilla played for Harbour two years ago bago siya napunta sa Hapee.

I don't know why the Batang Pier let him go.

cub
01-19-2008, 05:51 PM
i think because there's lots of talents in that Harbour team.. like ngayon, babalik na sila Castro, may ibang players na mababangko nanaman..

atong_damuho
01-20-2008, 12:25 PM
they don't need to elevate 8 players, maybe 5 players would be enough. then pick players from expansion draft.

GHRanger
01-21-2008, 10:42 AM
Hopefully, Mikee and Harbour do come over to the PBA.

But realistically the 8 players that Mikee is planning is i think too much -- Especially that a lot of the marquee and sought after amateur players are in that list of 8. IMHO, 5 would be reasonable. A 6th, probably as a concession for Mikee's role in Philippine basketballl. LIke any other team, they'll start from rebuilding again akin to 3-4 years ago. But as mentioned, the free agent pool has a lot of talent in it.

ankle breaker
01-23-2008, 11:56 PM
i think they should just allow the same # of players they grant with red bull and welcoat when they went up to the PBA from PBL.

oca
01-24-2008, 12:13 PM
I have not religiously followed the games for years now. But I always read with interest news on its leadership, closure of a franchise, admission of a new member. This I can say, the PBA is very conscious of "setting precedents".

Hindi sila magiging mapagbigay sa isang nagnanais maging bahagi ng liga.

The PBA corporate members will protect their interest first, instead of allowing a new member have a good start.

Now, going back to "setting precedents". That's the main reason why they would not grant Compton an "outright exemption".

Their reasoning was, this was shared to me by one who is employed by a PBA Governor, sa tagal ng pinamalagi ng US Bases rito at sa dami ng expats (eg businessmen, missionaries etc) na namalagi rito. One can only make a guess how many of these kids of non-Filipino parentage were born here. Well, ang problema nila actually, they have no idea or there is no credible statistics to make a decision.

Since the Bases were closed in the early 90's, one can imagine just how many of these kids were in their late teens or early 20's when Compton asked for an exemption. To give that exemption is to open the floodgates a few years from that point, so to speak.

With so many enterpreneurs* ;D* out there eager to make an easy buck via finders fee or being agents, kinatatakutan nila yung mga dadagsa dito na tulad ni Compton.

Haaaaaaay ewan ko ba...

Kung takot sila sa mga dadagsa, eh di magtakda sila ng mahabang residency requirement. Or limit ang bilang ng "non-Pinoy-Pilipinas born-but not imports" sa bawat line-up.

Kung marami talaga ang magaling, at malinaw na maraming PBA-caliber players and hindi makapaglaro sa Liga ng Bayan, eh di magdagdag ng franchise.

Pero hindi, masyadong elitista ang PBA. Hindi lang mahirap pumasok, ang mahal pa pumasok.

33 years in existence and how many teams do they have still?

To go back to the topic, seeing how successful the Harbour franchise is in the PBL now, and with the financial capability of the corporate entity behind it, these team will easily make the grade.

But gaya ng sabi sa balita, meron na bang silang application?

james_ty
01-24-2008, 04:11 PM
According to Sonny Barrios, Harbour withdrew its application when it decided to support the RP team to the SEA Games.

That means, the Batang Pier may have to apply again.

Joescoundrel
01-27-2008, 04:40 PM
IF Harbor Centre really does apply for the PBA perhaps they should make certain they elevate at least three players right off the bat: Jason Castro, Solomon Mercado and Rico Maeirhofer. These three are easily the best [;ayers on their team now and should be rewarded by ensuring their spots on the PBA team if ever. Castro, only one of two back-to-back PBL MVP awardees, the versatile and very athletic Mercado, and the long, tall, multiskilled Maeirhofer should not find the PBA adjustment too difficult. They may also want to get Beau Belga, since to my recollection he applied for the last draft and didn't get picked, making him an available free agent. That addresses speed and size.

Off the expansion draft they might find themselves with serviceable veterans. It would be best to go for versatile types who can play at least two positions for greater lineup flexibility. They may want to pick up either or both Jun Fernandez and Edwin Asoro from their own amateur players if those two apply for the draft.

Whatever they do though, yes, they will be the Welcoat Dragons. ;D

nastrans
01-27-2008, 10:30 PM
I believe they can also freely acquire Jerwin Gaco if they ever allowed to join the PBA since he was not drafted a few years ago.

stonecold316
02-02-2008, 02:38 AM
Harbour Centre joining the PBA will be a welcome development so to speak.

With regards to why the PBA is just limiting itself to a number of teams, I think its because of the problem with regards to its basketball calendar. Remember guys, ilang beses na nag-adjust and PBA sa calender nila brought about by a number of changes it incorporated through the years. Isa na diyan eh from three conferences, naging dalawa na lang. Pagbabago ng league opening from feb/march to October para may chance makapag form ng team that will compete in international competitions and ofcourse nag-adjust din sila sa calendar ng UAAP/NCAA and PBL.

Kung hahayaan magdagdag ng marami pang teams eh malaking problema ito sa scheduling ng games. Pansin nyo ba na before, the games were usually played three times a week. Pero dahil may 10 teams na, usually may games na ginaganap even on a Tuesday or Saturday ata.

Pangit rin ang masyadong madaming teams kasi hating-hati na ang crowd which means lower gate receipts. Diba noon, ang PBA six teams lang at ang mga sikat nung 80s include Anejo, Purefoods and San Miguel. Grabe, dahil sold ang fans support laging puno ang PBA venues. Pero ngayon, kahit sa Cuneta madaming bakanteng upuan.

Para sakin, ok magdagdag ng teams pero dapat gradual din. Hindi dapat madaliin para in the long run, all parties concerned with benefit from it.

stonecold316

flsfnoeraekadad
02-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Sa PBL sila para may amateur ball barometer ;D

ankle breaker
02-05-2008, 01:14 AM
mas ok yung maraming teams. hindi naman dapat sila mag adjust sa mga amatuer leagues. if the players from NCAA or UAAP has intentions to join the PBA, they need plan in advance.

stonecold316
02-05-2008, 07:38 PM
I think during the time of former PBA commisisoner Eala, may balak talaga sila na dagdagan ang PBA teams sa 12. I guess Harbour will have a chance to join the league basta naayos ng PBA ang calender nila at naayos gusot sa pagdadagdag ng bagong koponan.

stonecold316

coreytaylor
02-07-2008, 10:14 AM
I think during the time of former PBA commisisoner Eala, may balak talaga sila na dagdagan ang PBA teams sa 12. I guess Harbour will have a chance to join the league basta naayos ng PBA ang calender nila at naayos gusot sa pagdadagdag ng bagong koponan.

stonecold316

If only Commissioner Eala is still around, that goal may be achievable.

Joescoundrel
05-04-2008, 10:49 AM
What is the latest on this one? Is Harbour still bent on going to the PBA?

korn666333
05-12-2008, 08:54 AM
hello po,kala ko ba kasali tau sa fiba asian champions?bat wala team phil don?kulang pa rin tau sa international exposure...

GHRanger
05-12-2008, 11:03 AM
^ Correct me if I'm wrong - I believe Indonesia won the right to represent SEA care of the EKWE fiasco in Malaysia.

Please avoid writing in text speak unless your keyboard only has 10 buttons, a hash and a star button.