PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for 2008 Collegiate National Championship

mighty_lion
12-03-2007, 10:34 PM
Thought of creating this thread.

My wishlist:
1. Mother leagues should compel the participation of their respective winners to CNC.
2. Align the schedule to start several weeks after the end of mother leagues.
3. Realign the schedule of mother leauges that it will end somehow at the same time.
4. Pwede ba best of 3 na lang instead of losers go home. :D
5. Realign timing that it will not conflict with PBL
6. No more canned music and lazy sound effects during games. My apologies to the organizers pero parang nagiging inter-baranggay yong laro.

atenean_blooded
12-04-2007, 12:58 AM
In addition to what mighty_lion posted, I'd also like to see:

1. More hype from SBP, etc. about the CNC.
2. Wider coverage (Studio 23?)
3. No more cheesy product jingles. PLEASE.
4. Require teams to wear official, not practice uniforms.
5. Maybe the "season" can be moved toward the holidays, or slightly after the new year starts, so that the season gets more hype, and all teams are rested.
6. Never NABRO ;D

Dumbledore
12-04-2007, 08:00 AM
Major broadsheets of the country can do a lot more hype to the CCL or CNC next season. These broadsheets, I believe, are enough to make the CNC prominent. I noticed this trend help many companies nowadays. Mas effective ang PR talaga. That's the power of literature ;D

As regards the TV coverage, I agree that Studio 23 can give a wider coverage to the CNC than Solar Entertainment. Studio 23's target market kasi is the youth. :)

5. Maybe the "season" can be moved toward the holidays, or slightly after the new year starts, so that the season gets more hype, and all teams are rested.
6. Never NABRO ;D

GHRanger
12-04-2007, 09:40 AM

6. Never NABRO ;D

I agree with these.
The practice uniforms though will still be dependent if the mother league allows the team to wear it... i think. (with all the logos.)
If the league starts mid or late november it should be okay since it's going to be a knock out format. Pero kung round robin type, better to start January.
The CCL was, IMO, too much basketball -- Mali yung timing -- After the UAAP, NCAA, CCL na agad.

SBP shouldn't just give lip service or moral support. But more of a direct hand in this league.

oca
12-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Schedule
The event should retain its schedule of holding it in close proximity to the first semester. Start it immediately after the All Saintís Day break. The semester break allows all teams to rest and reload.

But most important is that all teams are relatively intact at this time. No player would have been away and/or absent from the team over long periods (specifically those who intend to play in the PBL ). The plays are very much fresh in the minds of the individual players, hence, cohesion will be not sacrificed.

Also, every player will still be in competitive shape. To hold this much later, after the Christmas break, with that 2 to 3 month gap in the schedule, we can expect non-PBL collegiate players to be in less competitive form.

Who qualifies
Maintain the current set-up in determining who should or could participate, with a few modification.

In as much as we want to see an expanded Nationals with more than 16 teams competing, the fact is, there is great disparity in the level of play between Manila and Cebu schools as against other provincial teams. Maintain 16 teams until such time when non-Manila and non-Cebu teams make it consistently into the Elite 8. To make room for more non-Manila and non-Cebu teams, it is suggested--

1. Any league with 1 representative whose team advance to the semis must automatically be given a second slot the following year.

A team may win by default in the first round and advance to the Elite 8, but they have to eke out a win to make it to the semis. That win paving their entry to the Final 4 should be considered meritorious. (If we take in one more team from one league, who should lose a spot? None, take it from the wildcard entries.)

2. Limit the NCAA and UAAP to a maximum of 4 representatives.

But if any team(s) declines participation, give the spot to a school who is a non-NCAA/non-UAAP member.

This also effectively disqualify both the NCAA and UAAP from getting a wildcard entry.

This allows for wider participation. But it is imperative that organizers institute a system in determining wildcard entries from which to select teams to fill vacated spots due from withdrawal/ non-participation.

Format
Retain the current knock-out format.

To go by way of a series will be "too much" basketball. But with 16 teams and a maximum of 4 games (if one makes it all the way to the Championship) spread over 3 weeks is NOT basketball overdose. NCAA and UAAP teams can manage to play 2 games between 5 calendar days or at times 3 between 8 days. Why can't they not play a max of 4 over 21 days?

Public Awareness
It is not right that the event will be read about two weeks before it starts.

Organizers must undertake activities to increase awareness early during the collegiate season but not compete in terms of publicity with the various school leagues.

At the very least, periodic press releases be issued by the organizers, published in the broadsheets, informing or updating the general public as to who advanced to the semis --- most likely representative--- of the various leagues. (Of course, the NCAA and the UAAP are never lacking in coverage. But the same cannot be said of other leagues.) Then, as one league after another determines its champions, the organizers can make a countdown of those who have qualified.

jayverns
12-10-2007, 10:18 PM
parang maganda yata kung yung format ng Olympics ang gamitin nila dito, dalawang pool(A & B) 6 teams each tapos yung top 4 teams sa bawat pool sila yung maglalaban sa crossover quarterfinals(losers go home, #1 ng Pool A makakalaban ang #4 ng Pool B, #2 ng Pool B lalabanan si # 3 ng Pool A and so on...). tapos semifinals(single game knock-out) then finals(best of three para maganda, although sa Olympics isang game lang).

true.blue
01-10-2008, 09:56 PM
What I don't like about the current so-called "Champions'" league:

1. scheduling - the various collegiate leagues start and end at different times, with the NCAA usually starting and ending earlier than the UAAP, for example. By the time, the champions' league is held, matagal nang nabakante and NCAA players and may hang-over pa ang UAAP champions from partying. The schedules of these leagues should at least be synchronized.

2. teams invited - if it is truly a champions' league, why are they inviting the top 4 uaap teams, the top 4 ncaa teams, etc. That's why this league is so anti-climactic: tinalo mo na nga yung nos. 2-4, tapos kakalabanin mo nanaman in the champions' league? Thus, the oft-repeated complaint is heard - what do I have to prove again? For me, the champions' league should just invite the champion of each league, period. And of course, it goes without saying that participation is compulsory or else pinahiya mo yung liga mo.

3. media support - the past media support for this post season league have been well below standards. the media should hype this league full blast, promote the teams and the games (ample write ups on each team in newspapers plus features on tv), use the best tv commentators and panelists (if possible the same ones in the ncaa and uaap programs), continue to use court side reporters, feature the cheering squads, etc. Even the name of the league should be thought of with great care. When the league was first known as Bantay-Bata - it was a marketing disaster: it smelled and looked 100pct as an exhibition game series just for the benefit of a good cause. The trophy should even spell out clearly that the winner is the champion among all the leagues of the ncaa, uaap, the visayan leagues, etc.

4. incentive - not much. I don't think monetary prizes count as much as good old pride. The champion should have the incentive of being the core team for the national team going to the SEABA or something. The champion should be automatically the amature basketball team of the year awardee by PSC, Scoop, etc. The league should count in selecting the amature mythical team of the year and the amature MVP fo the year.

mighty_lion
01-10-2008, 10:18 PM
And please lang, take away those echoing sound when someone makes a 3pt shot. :-[

danny
01-15-2008, 05:15 AM
What is needed to have a national collegiate champion that can represent the country in the World University Games?

As far as I know, the CCL will give way to a new league from which a true national champion will emerge who will be able to represent the country in the World University Games.

Any more info?

stonecold316
01-16-2008, 02:00 AM
Maganda talaga palakasin ang CCL kasi dito talaga made-determine kung ano ang school ang pinakamagaling sa basketball. I'm all out for this. Kaya lang, ang problema kaya yung ibang schools (including players) eh haft-heartedly ang pagsali eh ang problema sa pag-aaral. We all know naman na lahat ng players eh students. Kung after ng UAAP at NCAA seasons eh basketball na naman ang aatupagin nila, medyo talo rin sila kasi nga baka mag-suffer ang kanilang studies.

I think dapat ayusin ang schedule ng games ng mabuti para rin may chance makanood ang students. Pansin ko kasi ang CCL were played during weekdays kaya kaunti ang tao. Why not schedule it during weekends para may time makanood ang mga students in order for them to root for their schools.

With regards sa PR, dapat talaga palakasin ito. Dapat maganda ang hype regarding sa CCL para tumaas ang interest ng mga basketball fanatics at students dito. Dapat ayusin din ang TV coverage para mas maraming tao ang makanood.

Usually kasi, ang tingin ng mga tao eh exhibition games lang ang nagaganap sa CCL. Kumbaga, start ng preparations ng UAAP at NCAA schools for next year's basketball tourney. Dapat ipa-realize ng mga organizers na mas prestiguous ang CCL kasi the best of the best ang mga naglalaban dito.

Kapag nagawa nila ito. I'm sure tataas ang interest ng tao sa CCL. I'm in full support sa pag-improve ng CCL in the coming years.

stonecold316

danny
01-16-2008, 02:21 AM
If the winner of this league cannot represent us in the World University Games, why should people really care?

We need to have a true national champion sanctioned by the proper authorities who can represent the country in the global arena.

Those schedules, PR hype, TV coverage are secondary even tertiary concerns.

What is more prestigious than the NCAA, UAAP* and any other local crown? The chance to represent the school and the country in the international front. If people are not excited by that idea, then I guess we are really stuck in our Third World mentality.* Yup, we will just continue planting kamote...

AnthonyServinio
02-20-2008, 03:35 PM
BREAKING NEWS!

* * *THE BAP-SBP has made the Champions League of Mr. Rey Gamboa and Coach Joe Lipa as "THE" true and official National Collegiate Championship starting this year!

* * *This was one of the many items discussed during yesterday's gathering of all BAP-SBP Area and Regional Directors in Pasig City.* Mssrs. Gamboa and Lipa were there to make their presentation and answer questions from the audience.

stonecold316
02-21-2008, 12:59 AM
BREAKING NEWS!

* * *THE BAP-SBP has made the Champions League of Mr. Rey Gamboa and Coach Joe Lipa as "THE" true and official National Collegiate Championship starting this year!

* * *This was one of the many items discussed during yesterday's gathering of all BAP-SBP Area and Regional Directors in Pasig City.* Mssrs. Gamboa and Lipa were there to make their presentation and answer questions from the audience.

This is good news for college basketball. Sana with this decision, matapos na ang gulo at huwag ng makisawsaw ang BAP sa usapan. Move forward na lang kasi. :D :D :D

stonecold316

LETRANISTA!
02-23-2008, 08:43 PM
ok lng nmn ang format eh kaya lng ung mga member schools di seryoso dun sa laro for example pratice uniform ang ginagamit nila tska they did not require their students to watch the game like NCAA and UAAP. Support of the students are the major requirements pra umayos 2 league na 2

danny
02-24-2008, 02:47 AM
BREAKING NEWS!

I will wait and see. This is still an inviational league, just like the other post/pre season games. Some schools can easily skip this league for "academic" or so reasons.

The "true and only" is in reference to the Picahy led BAP national competition. ;D

oca
02-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Pareng danny, huwag kalimutan, when the UAAP rejected the idea of a "merger", they also said they will instead support a "national collegiate" championship. That was an official statement from the league.

Hintayn natin kung may palabra de honor yang mga taga-UAAP.

Baka ang mangyari, when the next CCL comes, now CNC, ay sabihin ng UAAP ay they leave it to the individual members to decide if they will participate or not. Tamaan sila ng lintek!

GHRanger
03-10-2008, 03:28 PM
ok lng nmn ang format eh kaya lng ung mga member schools di seryoso dun sa laro for example pratice uniform ang ginagamit nila tska they did not require their students to watch the game like NCAA and UAAP. Support of the students are the major requirements pra umayos 2 league na 2

One way to look at the uniforms issue is that practice uniforms do not have logos etc. etc. It may be an issue to advertisers and some leagues regarding the use of the logos, either by conflict of interest and adverts.

I agree with the other posters that the sched should be on a Saturday, Sunday, late afternoons or even university breaks if they want the students to attend. It makes sense for schools not to require their students to watch on a weekday.

--- --- ---

May balita na ba dito? I think starting now, they should be drafting up more clearcut guidelines for invitations and bracketing. Ideally this should be released prior to the school year. Pati na rin paghahanap ng sponsors.

Of the top of my head would be (assuming din na knockout.) -

1. Champion Teams -- 1 team only -- from each major league (either # years in existence or number of teams) will be required to attend with 80-90% of their champion team. A second team may be fielded in by the league who's team participated in last year's finals. (i kinda like this idea - puts in a wild card of sorts) Maximum of 2 per league.

2. Bracketing and seeding - from the end of the last year's tournament to the start of the tournament, each team will be assessed points for bracketing... for example, Major Regional (champ/runnerup/participation)- 8/4/2 pts, Developmental - 3/2/1 pts. etc. etc. etc. (there are probably some kinks in my math but the purpose is for illustration only.)

3. Identify participating leagues as early as now to provide an added incentive to the member leagues.

JonarSabilano
03-10-2008, 05:12 PM
I was also thinking of the possibility of setting up an RPI system just like in the US NCAA. However, this will only be possible if the season is longer and out-of-league games are institutionalized and included in team standings. This will then lead to non-champion teams with otherwise outstanding records, e.g., CESAFI's USC, to get at-large bids to the Champs' League.

nastrans
03-13-2008, 09:10 PM
I read somewhere in the Bulletin that the SBP and the CNC will have a larger national tournament with designated zones and regionals.

And of course, some seedings will be given to UAAP, NCAA, NAASCU, NCRAA/UCAA and CESAFI.