PDA

View Full Version : High School Prospects for 2008 College BBall Season

mighty_lion
08-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Post your candidates here. Information regarding height, position, weight, achievements, special skills, best/worst case scenarios, likely school destination* and other basketball related matters are very much welcome.

I'll try to find time later.

oca
08-10-2007, 02:05 PM
No names here, pero I am sure this will be of interest to most. Sa current lineup ng RED CUBS, only 2 are eligible to play next season.

Bahala na kayo sumilip.

Of course not all are "college grade players". Pero malay niyo... if you have an eye for talent and you can see one as a good project... fair game lahat yan!

Btw, the will be returnees for next year and to be excluded from this discussion are Dela Cruz and Ayala.

mighty_lion
08-10-2007, 07:36 PM
Sir Oca graduating na ba si Monteclaro at Panaligan?

erichubert
08-11-2007, 12:37 AM
1. Ryan Buenafe 6'2" College Position: Small Forward; San Sebastian High School
The number one prospect for this batch, he can score in multiple ways, he can post and bang inside and hit the
outside shot as well. A strong rebounder and a good passer as well. Shot selection can still be improved but he can't really be blamed for hoisting alot of shots with his talent and skill. With his versatility, he is expected to easily adjust to the college game next season. Rumored to be going to Ateneo to reunite with former teammate Eric Salamat.

2. Justin Chua 6'6" College Position: Center; Chiang Kai Shek High School
Undoubtedly the best big man in the high school ranks, he has a full set of offensive repertoire with his post moves and good shooting touch from the outside. He has a college ready body that can be developed further to be able to withstand the banging in the UAAP or the NCAA. Good height, high basketball IQ, and very advanced fundamentals for a big man his age. He has the tendency to fall in love with the perimeter game sometimes and forgetting to use his height and heft inside. Also rumored to be heading to Katipunan to replace Arao in the Eagle's roster next year.

3. Vince Burke 6'5" College Position: Center; Faith Academy
A workhorse inside, strong with very solid fundamentals. He lacks the flair and offensive skill but makes up for it with his aggressiveness and willingness to bang inside. All teams need a big man like him who can defend, rebound and hustle for the ball. He teamed up with Kirk Long for a potent outside-inside tandem when they were playing for Faith last year. College plans are still unknown but Ateneo can make a run at him with Long's presence giving them an edge. Of course they can't play together, both being foreigners so that might affect his decision.

4. Vince Fran 6'4 College Position: Center; De La Salle Greenhills
Flatfooted big man with good post skills and a wide body to bang inside. His huge presence helps him get rebounds and putbacks with ease. A little slow and has not played for the NCAA team of La Salle because of disagreements with the coach, so he might lack game experience going into college. Can be headed to La Salle or to UST with his uncle being a former player of the Tigers.

5. Arvie Bringas 6'3 College Position: Center/ Power Forward; San Sebastian High School
The ultimate power player in the high school ranks. Possibly the strongest player in the juniors division this year. He knows how to use his heft and body to get easy points and rebounds. Not exactly the fastest or most skilled big man but he is efficient with his moves and has a nose for the ball. Undersized for the Center position in college and would need to grow 2-3 inches more to become a force in college. Would be better served staying in San Sebastian in college to get more playing time and improve the other facets of his game.

6. David Joshua Webb 6'2" College Position: Small Forward/ Power Forward; De La Salle Zobel
An athletic wing who can slash and play the post. He is currently playing inside for La Salle and is doing a good job at it. He can easily outjump most of his opponents and plays very intelligently. Has the genes being the grandson of Freddie Webb and Nephew of Jason and plays very passionately. His emotions can either help or hurt him in the next level, thought he would really need to channel and control it well in College. A cinch to play for the Archers as his family is known to be connected with La Salle.

7. Nic Salva 6'3" College Position: Small Forward/ Power Forward; San Beda High School
A good scoring forward who is athletic and has good medium range game. One of the leaders of the Red Cubs, Salva is lean and needs to bulk up to play the post in college. He is a good rebounder and a solid defender. He has limited range and needs to improve his outside game to be able to play the Small Forward position in college.

8. Jeric Fortuna 5'7" College Position: Point Guard; De La Salle Zobel
A heady point guard with a potent three point shot, plays a lot like former Zobel star Simon Atkins but is a better shooter. A great passer as evidenced by his being top assist man in the UAAP today. He has good court awareness and is also one of the leaders in three point accuracy. Underrated and not hyped but has the potential to become one of the better players from this batch. A team like La Salle could use him to replace TY Tang next season.

Other top seniors are John Noble, Bon Jovi Cipriano, One of the Alas boys, Thomas Babilonia, Frank Golla etc. I am not too familiar with them so maybe someone can post about them.

jollibeeaddict
08-11-2007, 01:37 AM
UP should really go after the potential 4's/5's of the graduating batch- Chua, Bringas, Fran and Burke- in order to solve its problem in the middle.

to those who are well-versed in UAAP rules: in case of Vince Burke, wouldn't there be any problem with Ateneo just in case they get this kid while they also have two other foreigners, American Kirk Long and Australian Zion Laterre, in the line-up?

irateluvmachine
08-11-2007, 02:07 AM
about the others not in the top 10...

1. john noble/jun alas (CSJL) - the former is putting up monster numbers, over 21ppg and 12rpg, and has easily displaced the latter (close to 12ppg, 10rpg) as the squires' top big man.

2. bj cipriano (JRU) - carlo lituania v2.0, anyone? if jru signs him, expect him to take a backseat to the "veteran rookies" for about a year or two in ariel vanguardia's system...then we can see if he can come close to the huge scoring numbers he's posting right now.

3. thomas babilonia (SBC) - inconsistent. not what i expected from a three-year vet of the red cubs and the son of the late gido babilonia. best-case scenario, he could be a quality role player in the seniors, but not a star.

4. frank golla (ADMU) - a lot of what i've read about him in the BEN isn't too encouraging. chua, bringas, noble, etc. seem to be much better prospects at this point.

other prospects "bubbling under" the top 10 include...

l.a. revilla (SBC) and ian dela paz (LSGH), possibly either agovida or madlangbayan (JRU) for ncaa juniors. not too familiar with the uaap juniors, but i think FEU-FERN has a few good ones. anthony paulino, if i'm not mistaken? DLS-Z has jed manguera and masshi okubo, ADMU has juami tiongson. other than that, dunno much about the other teams...

erichubert
08-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Laterre is playing his final year for Ateneo so Burke can come in and take his place as the 2nd foreigner in the team. Tiongson is only a Junior for the Eaglets, so is Dumrique. I think the only notable senior from the Eaglets is Golla, who appears to be the second coming of Paolo Bugia. Both are big men with good height and shooting touch yet seems to be too soft and afraid to bang inside.

I think UP should focus on Burke, Bringas and Fran. They really need an enforcer down low who can scare those slashers from other teams. They seem to lack a guy who has that "angas" factor.

BLUE HORSE
08-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Scratch Bringas from the list for now.* He is still a junior just like Dumrique and Tiongson of AHS.* Another underclassman getting rave reviews because of his offense is Kevin Alas of Letran. All four are veterans though having made the team as sophomores and received ample playing time.

Another graduating high school senior is Banal of Xavier who is the son of coach Joel and the older brother of Ael Banal of AHS. He was undersized guarding Chua in the post during last years Tiong Lian league. Will need to morph his game as a 2/3 in college. His brother Ael can teach him how to shoot the 3's from the outside. ;)

BigBlue
08-12-2007, 11:31 PM
how tall are Joel's boys?

Sam Miguel
08-13-2007, 11:21 AM
how tall are Joel's boys?

The Banal of Xavier is in the 5'11" to 6'0" range, plays a lot of point forward for the Stallions, seems to have the handles to be a part-time UAAP guard, could use another inch or two in height to be a legit college swingman, has a jumpshot that comes and goes, moves well without the ball though, easy to find slithering through picks on the backdoor and the pick and roll, needs to develop his off-hand and get stronger.

Ael Banal is just shy of 5'8", plays 1 and 2, great outside shot, reckless slasher though, often comes crashing to the floor to the worry of his coaches, for now just an average playmaker, needs to grow another inch or two to be a legit college guard unless he somehow mutates into the second coming of LA Tenorio, should maximize every opportunity to try and do just that under Jamike Jarin.

pio_valenz
08-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Madami pa diyan...

erichubert
08-13-2007, 04:53 PM
Isn't the Banal from Xavier playing Center. I remember he was the one guarding Chua of CKSC in the finals. I think he is around 6'3", but that is only a guess. Ael Banal should only be in his sophomore year, I fully expect him to lead the Eaglets to championships in the near future. This kid has a lot of potential, if only he can grow to around 6'0-6'1, he would be one hell of a wing guy in college. How about the boys from FEU-FERN? I think they are one of the better teams in the UAAP, they should have some pretty good prospects. Also Kevin Batac from NU is also good, does anyone have any info on him?

Mang_Roger
08-13-2007, 05:11 PM
The Alas boys won't be leaving Intramuros after high school---itaga niyo sa bato yan.

Revilla is cat quick and has basketball smarts but he is too small.

Bringas might just end up playing as a Stag.

Nico should never leave the den. The Red Lions is the perfect team for his type of play and position.

batangueño
08-13-2007, 05:35 PM
How about Burke? Hindi kaya magkaroon siya ng problema kapag nag-Ateneo siya katulad nung may mag-question sa ACR niya?

As for Vince Fran, OK lang sa akin kung alin man sa UP o sa La Salle siya pumunta. Pareho naman na schools ko yan eh. ;D

oca
08-13-2007, 06:30 PM
Sir Oca graduating na ba si Monteclaro at Panaligan?

Sa pagkakaalam ko, yes.

At sa pagkakaalam ko rin, sa mga Red Cubs na hindi na makakalaro next season, si Bernas lang ang hindi pa ga-graduate as he is just in third year but would be above the age cut-off by season84.

IMO, at tulad rin ng opinyon ng marami, si SALVA lang ang pwedeng isabak agad next collegiate season. Revilla is just too small (sayang). Panaligan is short to play 2 and is not competent enough to play uno. Lobaton and Babilonia both possess the height and heft for college ball but still needs a lot of learning and maturing to be serviceable. Yung katawan ni Monteclaro mukhang magma-mature pa and he should be worth taking in by any team, pero I wouldn't rush to play him in Season84/71.

At yung iba, sorry, but I don' have the keen eye to say they have what it takes. Yung obvious lang ang mababanggit ko. ;)

oca
08-13-2007, 06:33 PM
The Alas boys won't be leaving Intramuros after high school---itaga niyo sa bato yan.

Revilla is cat quick and has basketball smarts but he is too small.

Bringas might just end up playing as a Stag.

Nico should never leave the den. The Red Lions is the perfect team for his type of play and position.

Oo nga naman. Kung magaling na coach ang tatay niyo, bakit ka pa pupunta sa iba?

Btw, parehong underclassmen ang mga batang Alas ( kaya nakaksindak ang Squires sa season84!).

Mateen Cleaves
08-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Nasa Baste pa ba yung nakatatandang Bringas? ang alam ko senior year niya ngayon, overage nga lang kaya hindi na puede sa NCAA. Puede na din siya sa 2008, di ba?

mighty_lion
08-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Actually pinakagusto ko sa line up ng red cubs si Monteclaro. Si Monteclaro kasi parang Rabbit na pinakawalan sa court. Tipong kelangan batuhin mo ng mabigat na tsinelas para mahuli mo sa court. *;D Sayang nga lang at nakasabayan nya ang final year ni Revilla. Correct me if im wrong but I think he is much a better passer and finisher than Revilla. Mas matured lang ang laro ni Revilla. I havent seen any red cubs game this season pero just looking at the stas as posted in B.com, limited minutes lang si Monteclaro pero mas marami pa syang assist kay Revilla. During nike summer league din mas mataas ang conversion ni Monteclaro.

Masyadong loaded ng PG ang red lions to accomodate him. RL will rollover 7 PGs from its A and B team next year. Monteclaro is worth keeping and I think he can beat out the other 5 kung ma-maximize lang ang potential. Sobrang bagay kasi to sa run-and-gun ni Frankie Lim.

Maiba ako, si Buenafe ba walang problema sa acad?

mighty_lion
08-13-2007, 08:01 PM
As for Vince Fran, OK lang sa akin kung alin man sa UP o sa La Salle siya pumunta. Pareho naman na schools ko yan eh. ;D

OT: Me kilala akong isa, UP at Ateneo combo naman. ;D

batangueño
08-13-2007, 11:04 PM
OT: Me kilala akong isa, UP at Ateneo combo naman. ;D

Off-Topic: Ganun ba, Sir mighty_lion? Typical naman sa UP yung ganyan eh. Some UP students were from Ateneo High, some were from San Beda High, others from a Lasallian high school. Iin my case, I studied high school in De La Salle Lipa in my home province of Batangas before studying political science in UP Diliman.

I am proud to tell everyone here that I have the privilege of being from both La Salle and UP. :)

Ateneo to UP? Si Mike Gamboa, hindi ba? :)

Sam Miguel
08-14-2007, 08:38 AM
Isn't the Banal from Xavier playing Center. I remember he was the one guarding Chua of CKSC in the finals. I think he is around 6'3", but that is only a guess. Ael Banal should only be in his sophomore year, I fully expect him to lead the Eaglets to championships in the near future. This kid has a lot of potential, if only he can grow to around 6'0-6'1, he would be one hell of a wing guy in college. How about the boys from FEU-FERN? I think they are one of the better teams in the UAAP, they should have some pretty good prospects. Also Kevin Batac from NU is also good, does anyone have any info on him?

Banal's skill set is really made more for perimeter play, its just that no one else on his Xavier team has the athletic ability to defend Justin Chua, even that pudgy boy who gets rotation minutes at center and power forward.

Ael Banal has a lot of upside at both guard spots (but yes, could use more height) and will get every opportunity to become a great college guard under the tutelage of Jamike Jarin.

Kevin Batac is a natural athlete who is wiry strong but must get a lot of good coaching or he will wind up as just another great athlete who happens to play basketball like former NU stars Jeff Napa and Gilbert Neo.

Sam Miguel
08-14-2007, 08:41 AM
How about Burke? Hindi kaya magkaroon siya ng problema kapag nag-Ateneo siya katulad nung may mag-question sa ACR niya?

Vince Burke is not a lock for any school just yet, although Ateneo MAY have an inside track with Burke's former teammate Kirk Long already in the fold. However Ateneo does not seem hellbent on adding another foreign player to its lineup unless the UAAP decides its ok to play more than one at a time on the court.

Vince Fran has quite the story OFF the court and it may take a lot of convincing and sweet talk to get him to go to Taft for university. UP could certainly use his size but they already have Cyron Lozano for a project at the 4 and 5 spots. Adding a Fran to that mix would be a crapshoot.

mighty_lion
08-14-2007, 08:43 AM
Any of you guys who can give some information on the Reyes(es) ;D of LSGH? Me graduating ba sa mga ito?

irateluvmachine
08-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Nasa Baste pa ba yung nakatatandang Bringas? ang alam ko senior year niya ngayon, overage nga lang kaya hindi na puede sa NCAA. Puede na din siya sa 2008, di ba?

anthony bringas is supposedly still in his senior year at baste HS, overage nga kaya di kasama sa staglets ngayon.* his younger bro is a far better prospect.

martin reyes (6'2 f/c) is still in his junior year...dunno about miguel reyes (5'8 pg).* not sure about marcus and marsello reyes either, but the latter two are as far as you can get from top prospects...

Sam Miguel
08-14-2007, 11:06 AM
Anthony Bringas brings mainly size and length to both forward spots and can spot at center in a quick lineup. The book on him is that he lacks focus and may be close to maxing out (little upside left) given his age and lack of focused coaching. He can help a college team as far as adding some ceiling to a lineup, but thinking he will be a top prospect for a senior lineup might be stretching things a bit. There is also the question of whether or not he has the academic acumen to make it in a legit college as a legit student.

I agree the younger Bringas in San Beda would be top prospect material. He has gotten good coaching, knows how to play with other good players, works hard, and does not seem to be an academic question mark. If Arvie grows just another inch or two in height, and keeps getting good coaching and personal training, he could become at the very least, a Floyd Dedicatoria-type college forward.

erichubert
08-14-2007, 03:03 PM
Vince Burke is tailor fit for Ateneo to replace Mike Baldos if only he was at least half-filipino. Ateneo needs to someone to replace Arao, specifically someone who is not afraid to mix it up downlow and is a back to the basket player. For all his height and heft, Chua seems to wander outside the paint too often, I think he wants to be a Japhet Aguilar type of player. Frank Golla also seems to be too soft for the college game, but then agen that is what they said about Paolo Bugia and look where he is now. Still, I hope Golla toughens up a little bit and show his mean streak, with his height (6'4) and good shooting skills, he can go places and be the steal of this year's batch.

batangueño
08-18-2007, 05:02 PM
Vince Burke is not a lock for any school just yet, although Ateneo MAY have an inside track with Burke's former teammate Kirk Long already in the fold. However Ateneo does not seem hellbent on adding another foreign player to its lineup unless the UAAP decides its ok to play more than one at a time on the court.

Vince Fran has quite the story OFF the court and it may take a lot of convincing and sweet talk to get him to go to Taft for university. UP could certainly use his size but they already have Cyron Lozano for a project at the 4 and 5 spots. Adding a Fran to that mix would be a crapshoot.

But I would love to see either Vince Burke or Vince Fran to replace Magi Sison, who is a bust to UP's campaign even before he got injured. ;)

Sam Miguel
08-21-2007, 01:09 PM
I would say among all the hotshots RYAN BUENAFE is the best damn baller in the high school ranks today. This kid has it all: great size for a guard, adequate for a small forward, superb athlete, understands the game, plays smart, has superiors skills across the board. He's only 16 or 17 and he still has a lot of room for growth, both physically and as a player. If he ever tops out at say 6-foot-4 (he was last measured at 6-foot-1 and 170 pounds) and retains all of his skill and talent he could be the next Kenneth Duremdes, that kind of player. What he needs to work on now is how to play well with other good players. Over the last year and a half he has been THE star for San Sebastian, putting up Lebron James numbers, and he is able to simply impose himself on any other high school player. That is not something he will be able to do in college, at least not within his freshman year. He will also have to improve on his matador defense. If he wants to play for a top program he cannot just rely on his ability to score.

Next in line would be JUSTIN CHUA, since its easier to play with size and big men do not come along too easily. Chua isn't just any robotic center though, with his ability to run the floor very well at least in one direction (he needs to work on hustling back down on defense when a play is broken). He will contribute immediately in the same way the likes of Don Allado, Enrico Villanueva and Arwind Santos contributed right away as a frontline player. He'll get some rebounds and a few blocks and might even get a play called for him once in a while. He may eventually work out as a Martin Quimson-type center-forward but with good offense, and at 6-foot-6 and 215 pounds in his last measurement, much bigger than the former Ateneo banger. Thanks to this kind of size he will not have to adjust positions in college. The biggest knock on Chua is that he is a big fish in the small Tiong Lian pond where there is really only one dominant team.

Rounding out my Big 3 would be NIKO SALVA of San Beda, the best high school player in this country not named Ryan Buenafe. Salva is slightly taller and heftier at 6-foot-2 and 175 pounds compared to Buenafe, but he is not at the same high level athletically. He does however show more patience and seems to be able to think the game much better than most players this young. He also has a better shot from long range. In this sense Salva could be the new-model Larry Fonacier, that kind of basketball intelligence but in a relatively stronger, faster, more athletic package. His defense is underrated having to mostly defend the post because of the matchups. His big adjustment will be getting used to the strength, speed and gulang of older players, because he also seems too soft-spoken and unassuming, not exactly virtues in the modern college game.

My fourth wheel would be American forward-center VINCE BURKE, a guy a lot of teams could use because of his near-Chua size (6'5" and 210 pounds), solid built, long limbs and great sense of timing off both boards. Burke showed a lot of hustle and strength in the Elite Camp and is proving to be a top priority recruit for the big programs. Of course his citizenship could be an issue for teams already maxed out on foreign players like Ateneo and Lasalle. Still, it is hard to pass up on a guy with size, and even harder when he's actually got skills. One thing recruiters might not know is that he is also a football nut and may want to try his luck with a good football program like Notre Dame, Oklahoma or Texas. No wonder the boy's got good footwork and the strength and stamina of a bull.

christian
08-21-2007, 02:41 PM
Sir Sam Miguel, parang puro prospects yan ng ADMU ha ;D

batangueño
08-21-2007, 05:45 PM
Sir Sam Miguel, parang puro prospects yan ng ADMU ha* ;D

Oo nga, at yung dalawa dyan ay nakatali na daw sa Katipunan. ::)

Wang-Bu
08-22-2007, 09:08 AM
Malay naman natin 'yung taga-Baste at taga-San Beda tumawid na lang sa amin sa UE, heh-heh!

Sa totoo lang bagama't prospects nga ng Ateneo ang mga batang nasabi ni Sir Sam tancha ko lang hindi pa naman sureball lahat 'yan. 'Yung Salva malamang manatili sa San Beda, lalo na kung desidido na kay Buenafe ang Ateneo. Ano pa nga naman ba papel ni Salva kung nandun ng Buenafe at pareho position nila? 'Yung Chua naman may kapit din kay Coach Joe Lipa ng UP, at sa pagkakaalala ko si Long-I ang madalas naka-aligid kay Chua nung Season 30 ng Tiong Lian. Si Burke dahil Amerikano baka hindi din gaano kagandang prospect para sa Ateneo gawa ng hindi rin naman sila mapapagsabay ni Kirk Long.

Tandaan din natin na hindi lang naman Ateneo ang masigasig sa recruitment. Kami nga na-recruit sina James Martinez at Paul Lee na ngayon kumakamada ng husto para sa UE. Ang Lasalle nakuha ang dating Ateneo star na si BJ Manalo ilang taon ng nakalipas. Ang San Beda nakuha ang Season 82 Juniors MVP na si Elvin Pascual. Ang UP halos pakyawin ang buong starting five ng Season 82 Baby Tamaraws, at nakuha din nila ang Season 69 captain ng Ateneo Juniors na si Mike Gamboa.

Kung sa prospect at prospect rin lang maraming maaari pang mangyari, at alam naman natin na marami ng kasalukuyang nangyayari sa recruitment. Wala ng garantisado ngayon. May nababalita pa ngang may isang pamantasan diyan sa na may WON GAME BONUS para sa coaches, players at ultimo utility nila, akala mo PBL o PBA team, pera-pera ang ginagawa. May nagkwento pa sa akin na women's player namin na may nag-alok pa daw sa kanya ng auto para lang mag-transfer sa ibang koponan.

Sa ganang akin mas mainam sigurong unahin natin ang pagsiguro na MAGAARAL na MAG-AARAL ang mga recruit at hindi lamang player ang turing sa kanila. Maawa naman tayo sa mga atletang dinadaan natin sa silaw ng salapi at kung ano-anong pangako sabay pabayaan natin ang dapat na totoong pakay ng pagtungtong sa pamantasan: ang mag-aral at makakuha ng degree.

Gil_Andrews
08-22-2007, 09:25 AM
The purest shooter prospect now from High School is 6'1 guard Clark Bautista from BIS. Sam, he should also be in your list. I heard that UST has the upperhand in getting this kid for college.

oca
08-22-2007, 10:40 AM
Enough of the "obvious".

I am looking forward to a Paul Lee type of a player. Here is a player who hardly merited attention coming out of San Sebastian HS. Teammate Eric Salamat was the sought after. Paul wasn't mediocre. But he wasn't strerling even. He sat one year and allowed his body to mature. Allowed his game to improve.

I was familiar with that Stagtes team he played at. If one was looking for a player who will make an impact right off his college freshman year, that was not Paul Lee. But one could see he could play varsity ball. Pero kailangan pahinugin.

Give credit to anyone at UE who decided to take on the kid. It wasn't a gamble on their part, but was there another team willing to give him an outright Team A spot then?

Wala!

During that one year "lull", the kid worked hard. He was patient. These are virtues one would like to see in any kid. Yang ganyang player ang mas inaabangan ko.

Wang-Bu
08-22-2007, 01:12 PM
^^^ Salamat Sir Oca. Sa totoo lang hindi naman sa pinahinog si Paul Lee, more like BINURO, gawa na nga ni Bon Custodio, awa ng diyos pinulot kami sa kangkungan 'di ba, at naintriga pa ang pobreng Bonbon. ;D

Kung wala si Bon last year si Lee na sana ang ipapasok, may konting kinalaman din sa timing baga, hindi naman maitatatwa na mas matimbang ang beterano at All Star kaysa sa baguhan, lalo na kung perimeter position. Sa lahat ng kanyang mga practise at drills magandang pinakita ni Paul Lee para sa UE, nagkataon lang na ang pwesto niya ay pwesto ni Bon, siempre naman nanaig si Bon nung dumating na sa pilian.

Sangayon ako sa punto ninyo na mas magandang mapanood ang mga hindi masyadong nababanggit tapos biglang pumuputok paglaro. Bukod kay Lee nariyan din ang isang Jeric Canada ng Adamson (hindi nga lang ako 100% sure kung dumerecho galing high school ito o naburo din muna) at ang JR Cawaling ng FEU na pinagkatago-tago ni Don Anton.

bluewing
08-22-2007, 02:01 PM
sang-ayon ako sa mha nasabi nyo.

bagama't nakakakilig nga ang mga usapang buenafe at chua, mas natutuwa ako sa mga tipong GEC CHIA na bigla na lang magpapakilala sa kalaban pag laro na. kadalasan kasi ay pag masyadong mataas ang expectation at sagana sa build-up, baka ma-disappoint ka lang. tignan nyo na lang si soc rivera. sa totoo lang, feeling ko ay overrated masyado ang batang ito. dapat ay nag-team B muna yun.

yungha
08-22-2007, 11:34 PM
Enough of the "obvious".

I am looking forward to a Paul Lee type of a player...

or a japeth aguilar. back in 2004, la salle was celebrating that they got a more college-ready player in mike galinato while ateneo got "only" jap. galinato posted monster stats in high school while jap was more of a specialty player. jap's athleticism was already evident though which is why ateneo saw great potential in him. so college coaches should recruit as much for potential as they should for ready talent.

Ghostrider
08-23-2007, 10:31 AM
Out,

Aside from Clark Bautista, another pure shooter is SBC's James Panaligan.

Aside from the usual suspects mentioned in this thread, other lesser known, but nonetheless, interesting prospects are:

Samuel Marata - UPIS
Vince Fran - LSGH
Jeric Teng - Xavier
Tommy Babilonia - San Beda
Aurelio Clarino II - La Salle Antipolo
Michael Brian Sy - Southville International School

Mateen Cleaves
08-23-2007, 12:33 PM
^Marata is only a junior.

Joescoundrel
08-23-2007, 01:08 PM
What year is the other Babilonia kid, the late Guido's boy, the one in Mapua? Isn't he in his fourth year? How is he as a player?

Or its that the Tommy in San Beda?

irateluvmachine
08-23-2007, 01:57 PM
What year is the other Babilonia kid, the late Guido's boy, the one in Mapua? Isn't he in his fourth year? How is he as a player?

tommy babilonia is the late gido's son, currently one of sbc's graduating juniors. he's got decent numbers, but is being outplayed by niko salva and art dela cruz jr. (who's only a sophomore) in the red cubs frontcourt...

Guardian Angel
08-23-2007, 02:24 PM

tommy babilonia is the late gido's son, currently one of sbc's graduating juniors.* he's got decent numbers, but is being outplayed by niko salva and art dela cruz jr. (who's only a sophomore) in the red cubs frontcourt...

2 things:

1. Gido Babilonia is dead? I remember him recently in UE's coaching staff. Didn't know of his passing...

2. What do you mean by graduating junior?

irateluvmachine
08-23-2007, 02:40 PM
^gido babilonia passed away january this year due to a heart ailment. and "graduating junior" would mean a graduating player from the juniors lineup...sorry for the confusion.

christian
08-23-2007, 03:44 PM
The purest shooter prospect now from High School is 6'1 guard Clark Bautista from BIS. Sam, he should also be in your list. I heard that UST has the upperhand in getting this kid for college.

I read from Bill Velasco's column (future RP players) Clark Bautista a 6'1 sg who can also be a combo guard in college. I think his son is enrolled in Benedictine International School (same school were Foronda of CSJL came from) and the aspiring HS player who died in a car crash in front of Ateneo (forgot his name though) that's why he knows the players of BIS. Coach Beaujing Acot coaches the HS team of BIS (don't know kung sya pa rin ngayon), maybe that's why Bautista is locked with the Tigers.

BigBlue
08-23-2007, 03:46 PM
I read from Bill Velasco's column (future RP players) Clark Bautista a 6'1 sg who can also be a combo guard in college. I think his son is enrolled in Benedictine International School (same school were Foronda of CSJL came from) and the aspiring HS player who died in a car crash in front of Ateneo (forgot his name though) that's why he knows the players of BIS. Coach Beaujing Acot coaches the HS team of BIS (don't know kung sya pa rin ngayon), maybe that's why Bautista is locked with the Tigers.

Actually, I've heard otherwise ;) let's just leave it at that for now.

toti_mendiola
08-23-2007, 04:07 PM

Bautista's asst. coach from bis is a childhood friend. pwede tayong makisawsaw. hehe

mighty_lion
08-23-2007, 10:38 PM
Out,

Aside from Clark Bautista, another pure shooter is SBC's James Panaligan.

Aside from the usual suspects mentioned in this thread, other lesser known, but nonetheless, interesting prospects are:

Samuel Marata - UPIS
Vince Fran - LSGH
Jeric Teng - Xavier
Tommy Babilonia - San Beda
Aurelio Clarino II - La Salle Antipolo
Michael Brian Sy - Southville International School

Si Panaligan okey sanang set-up shooter kaya lang masyadong undersized to play 2-guard spot in college.

Joescoundrel
08-24-2007, 09:22 AM

tommy babilonia is the late gido's son, currently one of sbc's graduating juniors.* he's got decent numbers, but is being outplayed by niko salva and art dela cruz jr. (who's only a sophomore) in the red cubs frontcourt...

Irate, this is not the same Babilonia kid that the Inquirer featured about two weeks after Gido died? Because I recall the feature mentioned that boy is in Mapua high school, I think his name was MIKO Babilonia.

Inquirer must have gotten its facts mixed up?

Ghostrider
08-24-2007, 12:59 PM
You all should look at the De La Paz kid at LSGH.

He's 6'4, mobile, good pivot moves and has a nifty jump hook.

Sam Miguel
08-24-2007, 03:59 PM
You all should look at the De La Paz kid at LSGH.

He's 6'4, mobile, good pivot moves and has a nifty jump hook.

Ghost, that De La Paz is an above-average athlete with good size and length, but unless he's as good as JR Cawaling, I don't think he's a high-impact rookie type, could be a solid player by his third year in college though. He seems to be tweener type at present and has yet to define his game for the college level. Still, this is one player I'd keep for the future if I were Lasalle.

christian
08-24-2007, 05:43 PM

Bautista's asst. coach from bis is a childhood friend. pwede tayong makisawsaw. hehe

Sino sir Toti? Baka kilala ko din :)

toti_mendiola
08-24-2007, 06:15 PM
Bryan E. alum ng peyups.

Mateen Cleaves
08-25-2007, 07:00 AM

Has anybody seen him play? Talaga bang 6'1? It seems that Bill Velasco was quite generous with some of the heights in that article.

BigBlue
08-25-2007, 12:53 PM
bill velasco's article was a look at the team of the future, 5 years from now i think. hence the padded heights.

erichubert
08-25-2007, 02:02 PM
Yes, I think he stated it at the start of the article that the heights are taking into account the player's projected growth from now till 2016 Olympics. I think Bautista should be around 5'10. If he is a real good shooter, I hope he grows to at least 6'2" so that he would have an easier time shooting at the next level.

JonarSabilano
08-26-2007, 12:45 AM
bill velasco's article was a look at the team of the future, 5 years from now i think. hence the padded heights.

Nine years from now. 2016. And Gabe Norwood, he says, will be the senior citizen of the team by then.

Sam Miguel
08-27-2007, 09:48 AM
Another Lasalle guy making a buzz in recruiting circles is VINCENT FRAN, the strong, solidly built forward-center. Fran is big, strong and tough, but is not seeing action in any of the top leagues which might bring his overall basktball quality into question. In this sense he is a lot like Justin Chua, with no one getting an accurate gauge of how he would fare against the top high school athletes. This may prove to be a nonsequitur though since Fran has played in the NCAA Juniors already, against the tough Squires, Red Cubs and Staglets. Also, Fran and a few of his other teammates did not exactly endear themselves to the bascketball coaching fraternity by getting into a very public dispute with his former coach in the Greenhills varsity. This might label him as "uncoachable" or as a "locker room lawyer", thereby lowering his stock albeit not because of anything related to his skill, size or talent.

CLARK BAUTISTA has been compared to King Eagle Chris Tiu by some scouts, but he does not yet possess the mental toughness and court smarts of Tiu. He can play both guard spots although he is more comfortable taking shots rather than setting up plays. His handles are pretty good but not quite flashy, and he is not a willing passer. As with all players at this level, Bautista may or may not grow into a legitimate college size to play his natural off-guard / swing position. If he stops growing at his present size he will need to seriously upgrade his ballhandling, passing and on-ball defense if he wants to make it into the bigger programs. If he is indeed headed for UST he's better figure out how to be fulltime pointguard because he will still have a lot of much taller and more athletic players ahead of him at the swing and off positions. Perhaps he can use James Martinez as his role model just in case he doesn't reach 6-feet in height.

oca
08-27-2007, 03:52 PM
Another Lasalle guy making a buzz in recruiting circles is VINCENT FRAN, the strong, solidly built forward-center. Fran is big, strong and tough, but is not seeing action in any of the top leagues which might bring his overall basktball quality into question. In this sense he is a lot like Justin Chua, with no one getting an accurate gauge of how he would fare against the top high school athletes. This may prove to be a nonsequitur though since Fran has played in the NCAA Juniors already, against the tough Squires, Red Cubs and Staglets. Also, Fran and a few of his other teammates did not exactly endear themselves to the bascketball coaching fraternity by getting into a very public dispute with his former coach in the Greenhills varsity. This might label him as "uncoachable" or as a "locker room lawyer", thereby lowering his stock albeit not because of anything related to his skill, size or talent.

This is not a sales pitch for Fran, but if one would take into account the number of students/players who moved out of LSGH, one could safely say may problema sa loob ng LSGH basketball. Pinagkaiba ni Fran, he decided not to transfer school and at the same time sacrifced that opportunity to play top level junior ball.

I am sure he is coachable, as I saw him as a Passerelle player. As to being a "locker room lawyer" well, magulo nga ang LSGH basketball, kailangan mo talaga ng abogado ;D.

Just consider this.... Salva, Babilonia, Revilla and Lobaton are 4 of the Red Cubs' starting five. Isipin nyo bakit umalis ang mga iyan sa Greenhills at lumipat sa Taytay? Huwag niyong sabihin na may pinagkasunduan yung mga tatay nyan? With these precedents, let us appraise Fran on the merits of his skills.

batangueño
08-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Naisip ko lang, pareng oca. Sa tingin mo, hindi kaya makasama sa chances ni Fran na makapaglaro for a college team yung fact na hindi siya naglalaro ngayon for the LSGH Greenies dahil hindi maganda ang working relationship niya with his coach? Could his absence in competitive basketball have any adverse effect on his capability to show off his skills should a college team decides to take a gamble and have his services?

oca
08-27-2007, 04:08 PM
Naisip ko lang, pareng oca. Sa tingin mo, hindi kaya makasama sa chances ni Fran na makapaglaro for a college team yung fact na hindi siya naglalaro ngayon for the LSGH Greenies dahil hindi maganda ang working relationship niya with his coach? Could his absence in competitive basketball have any adverse effect on his capability to show off his skills should a college team decides to take a gamble and have his services?

Sa sino mang di naglalaro sa top level league, malaking kawalan yun. Pero for one who has the height and heft like he has, ano ba naman paglaanan mo ng panahon para maging competitive. The cliché "you can't teach height", and also heft, applies here.

Again, hindi ko bibigyan ng halaga yung relationshiop niya sa coach niya.

OT na ito, pero with the talents that has left LSGH, and their seemingly ineptness and difficulty in making the semis year after year, dapat yatang ilagay sa microscope yung coach at hindi ang mga players.

Ghostrider
08-27-2007, 06:03 PM
Vince Fran is kind of big and lumbering. My best description would be Cris Bolado. However, he seems to have very soft hands and has a good touch around the basket.

He, together with his lesser "clone" Thomas Babilonia need alot of work on their speed, explosiveness and reaction time. Medyo mabagal ngayon but if they can improve on those aspects, their future will be very bright indeed.

Wang-Bu
08-29-2007, 09:16 AM
Graduating na po ba 'yung GWAYNE CAPACIO ng Lasalle Zobel?

Naaalala ko sa kanya si Allen Glenn Patrimonio, bagama't magaling ng poste si Allen Glenn sa ganyang edad. Mas maliksi nga lang at mas madaling nakakatakbo si Gwayne, mas mabilis din mag-shuffle step at mag-drop step.

Si ANTHONY BRINGAS po ba ay hindi pa naaangat sa college ng Baste? Parang nakita ko na siya sa Team B ng Stags nung nakaraang FMC Summer, unless nanood lang siya sa kanilang bench, pero alalang-alala ko na nakauniporme siya.

gfy
08-29-2007, 09:28 AM
^3rd year pa lang si Gwayne sabi ni Coach Glen.

irateluvmachine
08-29-2007, 09:51 AM
^si anthony bringas 4th year HS ngayon, he's not playing for the staglets cuz he's already 20...

boyscout
08-31-2007, 07:37 PM
^3rd year pa lang si Gwayne sabi ni Coach Glen.

2nd yr

Mateen Cleaves
08-31-2007, 07:54 PM
^si anthony bringas 4th year HS ngayon, he's not playing for the staglets cuz he's already 20...

Puede ba maglaro sa NCAA ang 19? Didn't he play for the Staglets last year?

Howard the Duck
08-31-2007, 10:56 PM
junior pa lang daw si kevin alas... pero baka sa LC din siya matuloy

irateluvmachine
08-31-2007, 11:53 PM

Puede ba maglaro sa NCAA ang 19? Didn't he play for the Staglets last year?

yup. 19 pwede pa.

anthony was actually the more productive of the bringas brothers last year, averaging something like 7 ppg and 8 rpg...

gfy
09-01-2007, 09:21 PM
Checked with Coach Glen again. Yup sophomore pa lang si Gwayne.

oca
09-13-2007, 11:48 AM
Nangapit-bahay kahapon sina Black at Trillo at nanood ng F4 ng NCAA Jrs. kahapon.

My guess is they were there NOT to validate what they know but to see if there are OTHER kids worth considering of inviting to Ateneo.

May nagbulong sa akin kahapon, the 6'4" Babilonia, playing center for the Red Cubs, will most likely enroll at Ateneo for college. Not because he is being recruited. Gusto lang yata ng ina duon mag-aral ang bata and take a particular course.

This kid Babilonia may not be serviceable for UAAP71, but with Black's mentoring skills (to differentiate it from coaching), this kid can be a major contributor to the Blue Eagles 2 or 3 years from now.

Dahil na rin mahaba ang pila sa Mendiola ng mga nagnanais makapasok sa Team A at mahaba pa ang eligibility ng core ng Red Lions, imbitahan na rin sana ni Black yung isa pang Red Cub- si Lobaton. Like Babilonia, hindi pa yan pwedeng isabak next season, but I see him as one who can play at the collegiate level. He has the size to play dos. May tira sa labas, may drive and is a descent passer. Pahinugin lang muna.

mighty_lion
09-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Kitang-kita sa posisyon ko yong pwesto ni Norman Black kahapon. Sabi ko nga dun sa kabilang thread, bakas sa facial expressions ni Black kung sino yong inaabangan nyang players. Kung wala sa court yong players wala masyado ang attention sa court at nakikipag-usap sa kasama. Pero pag-nasa court parang sundalong sinigawan ng ATTENTION! ;D

Nagpang-abot pa sila ni Ekwe sa Patron. Para silang mag-ama. Hehe.

First time ko nakita yong Squires in action at hanga ako dun sa mga da moves nung Noble. Inside-out at kahit saan pwesto me tira. Im not sure with the height but he should be somewhere 6'2-6'3. Deadly pa ang shooting sa tres.

Pinanoud ko na rin mabuti si Bringas. Hindi sya ganung katangkad pero polished lang talaga yong galaw sa ilalim. May be not the prototypical na inside scorer who will take 2 or more steps bago kumuha ng opening pero malakas yong upper body at magaling tumiming sa ilalim.

mighty_lion
09-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Nangapit-bahay kahapon sina Black at Trillo at nanood ng F4 ng NCAA Jrs. kahapon.

My guess is they were there NOT to validate what they know but to see if there are OTHER kids worth considering of inviting to Ateneo.

May nagbulong sa akin kahapon, the 6'4" Babilonia, playing center for the Red Cubs, will most likely enroll at Ateneo for college. Not because he is being recruited. Gusto lang yata ng ina duon mag-aral ang bata and take a particular course.

This kid Babilonia may not be serviceable for UAAP71, but with Black's mentoring skills (to differentiate it from coaching), this kid can be a major contributor to the Blue Eagles 2 or 3 years from now.

Dahil na rin mahaba ang pila sa Mendiola ng mga nagnanais makapasok sa Team A at mahaba pa ang eligibility ng core ng Red Lions, imbitahan na rin sana ni Black yung isa pang Red Cub- si Lobaton. Like Babilonia, hindi pa yan pwedeng isabak next season, but I see him as one who can play at the collegiate level. He has the size to play dos. May tira sa labas, may drive and is a descent passer. Pahinugin lang muna.

Sana mag-team B sa San Beda yong mga cubs na hindi makakahanap ng teams sa UAAP and NCAA. Revilla, Monteclaro, Bernas, Lobaton, Babilonia, Panaligan and Asinas are worth keeping.

Guardian Angel
09-18-2007, 08:02 PM
Good chance to watch some of the best HS players in the land on TV tomorrow in the NCAA finals. This is probably one of the richest HS talent to be seen at one time. Bringas/Buenafe and Alas/Noble on national TV

erichubert
09-19-2007, 03:59 PM
Buenafe sure showed us why he is the no.1 high school prospect in the country in today's game- 28pts, 15 rebs and 10 assists. He outplayed his Letran counterparts easily. What's impressive is that he almost played the whole game, played as a point-forward on offense and played at the post on defense. His strength and athleticism I think is college ready already.
For the others, I think Bringas was also impressive, as advertised, he was no non-sense with his job down low, I think he got 15 rebs too with 20 or something points. For Letran, the Alas boys and Noble were the standouts but they paled in comparison with the stars of the Staglets.

Sam Miguel
10-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Tommy Babilonia at a strapping 6-foot-4 or 6-foot-5 would be a welcome addition to Ateneo's Team Glory B if he is not very keen on making the UAAP lineup. Of course as long as his first priority is studying he would be a welcome addition to the Ateneo community, period.

That being said I believe he has the size and the inclination to be a productive player given the right kind of motivation and training. It does not even have to be Norman Black doing it himself as Ateneo's academy-inspired integrated basketball program is full of excellent coaches across all competitive levels. I'd give Babilonia over to John Flores or Ron Camara of the Lady Eagles and simply watch him blossom. If these two could turn the likes of Rich Alvarez and Paolo Bugia into legit players they can certainly work the same magic with Babilonia.

Arvie Bringas would make an excellent 4/3 in the college game. His built and athleticism suggest he might make an excellent UE Warrior, not a bad idea considering former teammate Paul Lee will still be there if and when he decides to cross Recto. Bringas is a legit 6'4" and also brings a lot of good instincts inside the paint where he gets rebounds and blocks on good timing as much as size and spring. I can see him as being an Elmer Espiritu type, a smallish but athletic and multipurpose forward.

JM Noble of Letran will need to make some kind of transition into a college 3/4 from a high school 4/5. While he may have the size and strength to be a legit college forward at 6-foot-3, he will have to work on getting quicker and more explosive. His defense is also very matador at this point, something he cannot quite get away with at the college level against players who are bigger, quicker, stronger and more experienced at the same position. If he hits the weights and takes more perimeter shots he could become the next Woody Co.

mighty_lion
10-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Sir Sam Miguel, if Bringas is a legit 6'4 then Buenafe is also 6'4. Last NCAA Finals game two nakaupo ako sa likod bench ng Staglets at halos pantay lang si Bringas at Buenafe nung magkatapat sila.

JM Noble if I may add is an all around scorer type of player. He has a good stroke from midrange to 3pt line, medyo underrated jump shooter lang ng konti. May not be that type of guy who shoots a lot of pull-up jumpers but but once's hes open striking those long jumpers, ilista mo na. I do agree he needs to trim down and work on his conditioning. Kung hindi na sya tatangkad, he needs to convert his game to 3 in college.

I really do hope that Noble stays with Letran. He would be an awesome addition to the Knights line up.

Schortsanitis
10-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Anybody heard of this guy?

Rogelio Okulaja Poblador Jr.- 6'6"
- Plays for Marisyl School in Valenzuela City, 25 ppg, 18 rpg, 6 apg
- 15 years old as of 2007
- Being mentored by Mar Morelos
- Plays 3, 4 & 5
- Mother is Nigerian
- Source: http://www.ubelt.com/blogs/viewpost.aspx?id=359

Joescoundrel
10-02-2007, 08:53 AM
^ I'd have to agree with Mighty_Lion on the relative *size of Bringas, perhaps he is actually a shade under 6-foot-3 at best. When Buenafe was last measured at Moro a few months back he was exactly 6-foot-2. The times I've seen Buenafe and Bringas together, Bringas looked a little taller at the shoulder but not by much, maybe an inch.

Still, I would also have to agree that Bringas seems to be a perfect UE-type forward with his natural athletic abilities and instincts on the court. As much as the NCAA would profit from his staying in the league, I think if he wants to really mature and develop as a player he should indeed cross Recto and head over to Coach Dindo Pumaren's program.

As for JM Noble, the Woody Co comparison seems just a bit off. Co adapted quite well to his role as a college 3/4 with some spot duty at the swing position as well. Noble is a natural talent but, again as noted by Mighty_Lion, would do well to work on improving his overall athleticism if he wants to succeed at the college level.

Joescoundrel
10-02-2007, 08:54 AM
^ Isn't there an OKULAJA in the NBA...?

Schortsanitis
10-02-2007, 10:32 AM
^ Isn't there an OKULAJA in the NBA...?

'Meron nga: http://www.nba.com/playerfile/ademola_okulaja/index.html'

So, could this "Rogelio Okulaja Poblador Jr." a hoax? If not, at the very least he's a namesake of an NBA player.

john_paul_manahan
10-02-2007, 01:39 PM
that okulaja is playing for the German national team.

mighty_lion
10-15-2007, 01:37 PM
Balik ako dun kay Arvie Bringas. If there is only one team who will dedicate time to develop this kid as a 3 in college, malayo ang mararating nito. One way or another ganyan ang laro ni Ogie nung juniors. Dribble penetrations from mid-range, post-up, pa-bitin sa ire moves at putbacks. Taon ang binilang para maturuan kung paano magpenetrate mula sa labas ng 3pt line si Ogie. Kung napansin nyo almost pareho ang built ng katawan ni Ogie at Bringas. Pareho ding malakas ang tuhod, paa at upper body. Besides, Bringas is quick enough for his size to play 3. Im not sure kung me tira sa labas si Bringas, pero kung titingnan ko yong shooting form nya sa FTs, pwedeng turuan tumira sa labas.

Schortsanitis
11-14-2007, 10:11 PM
Couldn't find videos of Justin Chua or Ryan Buenafe at youtube, but it turns out there are quite a no. of vids there about Nico Salva.* Compiled a video of all his highlight moves from those videos to come up w/ this:

(See post below w/ the updated video)

From the videos, I can see why a lot of college scouts are excited about him as a prospect.* Even though he plays 4 or 5 in highschool, his game is that of natural 3, as he's very comfortable playing facing the basket.* And yes, some of his moves do remind one of Danny Seigle's moves in the PBA.

Schortsanitis
11-16-2007, 09:55 PM
I just realized that the first Nico Salva video I uploaded was damaged in that at least half of it was corrupted. Managed to upload a corrected file which contains all the videos I intended to upload in the first place:

Nico Salva On Offense (Youtube Vid) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEr0NLJZwZA)

Schortsanitis
11-23-2007, 11:35 PM
I finally was able to find a video of Justin Chua, & this was during Game 2 of the 2006 Metro Manila Tionglian Basketball Association (MMTBA) Championships, courtesy of the Xavier University website.*

Justin Chua version 2006 Video (youtube vid) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_XkwEgJFwI)

I expected to find an athletic, cat-quick on his feet, high-leaping, & highly skilled 6'6" Center in Justin, but instead, I found ..... Giovanni Pineda.* They have almost the same height, the same pear body shape, & flat-footed moves on the floor.

He's not really that quick or fast on the floor, nor is he a good leaper based on the video.* But in fairness to Justin, he does seem to have much better coordination than Pineda, excellent fundamentals, & good work ethic.* His fundamentals & work ethic is evidenced in the way he actively positions himself underneath the boards for those rebounds, while his coordination is evidenced in his good offensive moves.*

Take note that was probably only about 15 or 16 years old in the video, but already quite promising & intimidating on the floor, consistently rebounding & scoring in the paint.*

His lack of athleticism & skillset indicates that he would be most comfortable, & effective playing the no. 5 position.* He's a natural Center, very comfortable playing in the middle of the paint w/ his back to the basket.*

My impression is that Justin seems to be a man playing amongst boys out there in the Juniors in terms of skill & physical gifts.* He easily was the tallest player out there on the floor.* So will he do as well in College playing against men instead of boys?* I think his assets are enough to do so.* W/ the proper guidance & exposure, I think he'll do well in College.* Maybe not exceedingly well, but well enough.

One thing to remember, though, is that the video showed a "Justin Chua version 2006".* It is likely that the "Justin Chua version 2007" is much better, based on the stats as it is in 2007 that he averaged in triple-double during the entire season.

bigfreeze_bibby
11-23-2007, 11:52 PM
If Justin indeed will go to Ateneo, then there's no need to worry on his development since we all know how good coach Norman is in developing big men. But then kung bibilis pa siya, it will be better of course since he'll be more flexible to play both forward and his natural center spot.

bluegirl
11-24-2007, 12:02 AM
in my opinion, Justin has improved a lot since that video was taken. for one thing, his body is more developed na. he also moves faster now and his perimeter shot has also improved.

january, tiong lian season na uli. why not watch him play? and you guys be the judge. :D

Schortsanitis
11-24-2007, 07:19 AM
If Justin indeed will go to Ateneo, then there's no need to worry on his development since we all know how good coach Norman is in developing big men.* But then kung bibilis pa siya, it will be better of course since he'll be more flexible to play both forward and his natural center spot.

If he does end up playing in ADMU, I think Norman is the perfect coach for him, w/ Norman now slowly getting a reputation for developing good Centers & Forwards.

in my opinion, Justin has improved a lot since that video was taken. for one thing, his body is more developed na. he also moves faster now and his perimeter shot has also improved.

january, tiong lian season na uli. why not watch him play? and you guys be the judge. :D

There's a report that says the 2008 MMTBA games will be shown on Basketball TV.* That should be interesting, seeing "Justin Chua version 2008" just before he goes off to play in (fill in the blank) in college.

bluegirl
11-24-2007, 09:43 AM
as of this moment, i'm not sure about the coverage yet. but the games have been covered for the past few years now. di ko lang alam this year kung which channel. rizal memorial daw ang opening ceremonies and i have a hunch na cksc isa sa mga first games. why not watch the game? :D

oh and by the way, CKSC lost to the San Sebastian Staglets by 3 pts in the MMBL. apparently, justin made 30+ points.

Schortsanitis
11-24-2007, 11:02 AM
as of this moment, i'm not sure about the coverage yet. but the games have been covered for the past few years now. di ko lang alam this year kung which channel. rizal memorial daw ang opening ceremonies and i have a hunch na cksc isa sa mga first games. why not watch the game? :D

oh and by the way, CKSC lost to the San Sebastian Staglets by 3 pts in the MMBL. apparently, justin made 30+ points.

I'm only able to watch the games during the weekends, but am definitely looking forward to watching the games live whenever possible. Thanks for the info about the MMBL, I think that's worth looking into.

bluegirl
11-24-2007, 11:15 AM
the opening ceremonies are held on saturdays. as of today, di ko pa sure final date pero ang balita ko, January 12 daw. i'll let you guys know sa MMTLBA thread pag may makuha na akong schedule. :D

laventana
11-28-2007, 01:32 PM
I was able to watch Clark Bautista play in a few games.

That Bill Velasco article about him was pretty generous.

Clark looks like a 5'10- 5'9 shooting guard to me. I am about 5'8, and even standing up near him, my guess is that 5'10 is pretty generous.

He is a natural 2 who camps around gaps in the zone to shoot. Clark is a very good shooter but I think comparisons to Chris Tiu are pretty generous. At Xavier, Chris had better court sense and overall better fundamentals on both eneds of the court. If he is going to be a college one he will need alot of work on passing and ball handling.

Clark is not as effective a scorer when he puts the ball on the floor. When he shot fakes and dribbles to penetrate he would in most cases travel, miss the running jumper, or make a jump pass which I feel coul dbe easily picked off at the college level.. His athleticism is also not so great.

But he can really shoot the ball. Every shot he puts up looks good. If he can grow some inches and work on his game, he could turn out to be a solid college player. He will be a project player for whoever recruits him. What I like about Clark is his killer instinct and the fact that he never shies away from shooting the ball.

bchoter
11-28-2007, 01:48 PM
^ The descriptions are on target. That pretty much describes the legendary (to us at least) Henry Ong of the 4-peat era. Coach Pido honestly told him that he needs at least a year of seasoning (aside from the fact that the guard spot for UST is full with Japs, Vargas and Badua/Crisostomo).

laventana
11-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Watching the Tiong Lian tournament should be interesting. Justin Chua has all the tools to become a a solid college center. But from last year's performances, I projected that his first year playing college ball will be an adjustment.

To me, the Blue Chips who are ready to contribute right away are Buenafe, Salva and possibly Burke (for that banging role). But if Chua improved alot, then I feel he could be a force as early as his first year in college.

hoopster
11-29-2007, 02:33 AM
Insiders says he has not decided yet although he is verbally committed to the Eagles (at least for now)

Saan nga ba sya pupunta? there is an article in quezon city paper that this talented kid might go to

La Salle...paano naman si Bautista?

gambitx
11-29-2007, 04:38 AM
Kindly intoduce this guy...What position is he playing? Sorry I'm clueless... ;D

BLUE HORSE
11-29-2007, 08:55 AM
I smell a 3-way package deal but not enough to rival the multiple package deals engineered by coach Norman.* :o* ;D If it does come to pass, can we call it the men's version of the Kady Wilson story?* *???* Oks lang if history repeats itself.* Kayo naman, yung panalo and not the injury!* Bwahahahah.* *:P

Did the father switch to Globe?* *;)

hoopster
11-29-2007, 11:49 AM
I smell a 3-way package deal but not enough to rival the multiple package deals engineered by coach Norman.* :o** ;D If it does come to pass, can we call it the men's version of the Kady Wilson story?* *???* Oks lang if history repeats itself.* Kayo naman, yung panalo and not the injury!* Bwahahahah.* *:P

hoopster
11-29-2007, 11:52 AM
I smell a 3-way package deal but not enough to rival the multiple package deals engineered by coach Norman.* :o** ;D If it does come to pass, can we call it the men's version of the Kady Wilson story?* *???* Oks lang if history repeats itself.* Kayo naman, yung panalo and not the injury!* Bwahahahah.* *:P

person
11-29-2007, 07:42 PM
Insiders says he has not decided yet although he is verbally committed to the Eagles (at least for now)

Saan nga ba sya pupunta? there is an article in quezon city paper that this talented kid might go to

La Salle...paano naman si Bautista?

isn't it that bautista will go where de chavez is going? i'm not sure if their are any slots for bautista in ateneo, la salle or up..so maybe he should take pido's offer of spending one year with the team b of ust... or ust should maybe relocate badua and basa to team b and give those slots to de chavez and bautista..at least they will have coach beaujing with them at ust...

Joescoundrel
11-30-2007, 10:30 AM
Justin Chua's main difficulty right now is that, being the biggest player on his team, he is expected to go after the rebounds, patrol the paint and intimidate inside, in other words be a fulltime center. Away from the team however he is working on a perimeter game on his own. He has a surprisingly good stroke from the amateur 3-point line and above-average handles from the high post for a post player. If only he'd get more focused training in expanding his game he could be a very good multiple-position frontcourt player. Unfortunately if he starts taking treys regularly with Chiang Kai Shek his coach will kill him.

This is just the latest example of a player with the basic tools and the desire to expand his game and yet is unable to do so, held back really, by his own coaches and his own team. And we cannot even fault the coach for this because at his size he is the best and most logical choice to play the post, which demands both size and strength. I doubt CKS would succeed as a team if Chua started pretending to be say JC Intal in practices and games.

joelex
11-30-2007, 03:28 PM
Justin Chua's main difficulty right now is that, being the biggest player on his team, he is expected to go after the rebounds, patrol the paint and intimidate inside, in other words be a fulltime center. Away from the team however he is working on a perimeter game on his own. He has a surprisingly good stroke from the amateur 3-point line and above-average handles from the high post for a post player. If only he'd get more focused training in expanding his game he could be a very good multiple-position frontcourt player. Unfortunately if he starts taking treys regularly with Chiang Kai Shek his coach will kill him.

This is just the latest example of a player with the basic tools and the desire to expand his game and yet is unable to do so, held back really, by his own coaches and his own team. And we cannot even fault the coach for this because at his size he is the best and most logical choice to play the post, which demands both size and strength. I doubt CKS would succeed as a team if Chua started pretending to be say JC Intal in practices and games.

i totally agree...

bchoter
12-04-2007, 06:56 PM
^^ By your description he looks like a Kerby Raymundo in the HS ranks. And being in HS gives him a head start. If he plays for coach Norman Black and his staff I don't see any reason why he won't be better than Kerby when he gets to Kerby's current level. Mukhang magmumukhang bansot ang mga "tall" wingmen ng UST against Ateneo pag dating ng araw.

laventana
12-04-2007, 10:50 PM
I think Chua has the potential to be even better than Kirby. I think he is a smarter player and with experience and training under a guy like Coach Black, he could really be something special by his 2nd year in college.

I seriously doubt Clark will make the team A of Ateneo or Lasalle. Maybe UP, but then again the maroons are loaded with similar catch and shoot players in De Asis and Reyes. Of the two games I saw Clark play, I was impressed, but the opposing SG's he faced impressed me even more. So it looks like UST is the logical fit as Pido can groom a point guard to shore up the weaknesses of Japs Cuan.

He will be a great Team B project, as I think in 2-3 years he could turn out to be a solid college player. But as of now, he has alot of things to work on. I actually think his teammate, who gets less attention at Benedictine will actually contribute more in the seniors level for the next two years. Very good player but dont believe the hype some people are saying about him being a 6'1 stud who is arguably the one of the best shooters to come around in years...he could very well become that, but only after a few years and alot of hard work and physical maturation on a team like UST that will give him a chance or on a team b of another school..

laventana
12-04-2007, 11:14 PM
When I checked out Clark Bautista, BIS's center or PF impressed me even more. I think this is De Chavez. Bald head kid who sounds like a Fil-Am because he talks to his teammates with a twang.

My guess is that his height is around 6'1-6'2. Already has the moves of a SG and can handle the ball despite playing 3,4,5 for BIS. Pretty athletic..can already dunk the basketball. Has a solid mid range jumpshot and will occasionally burn you with the 3. Pretty strong for his age.

Has a competitive streak..which is good...

Overall, this kid will be a solid college player and is more ready than Clark Bautista for UAAP seniors ball.

bchoter
12-05-2007, 06:49 PM
I seriously doubt if Clark is the solution to the PG "problem" of UST. Milan Vargas is probably closer to a solution. Besides, coach Pido already asked Clark to stay with Team B way before the hype

hoopster
12-06-2007, 02:09 AM
When I checked out Clark Bautista, BIS's center or PF impressed me even more.* I think this is De Chavez.* Bald head kid who sounds like a Fil-Am because he talks to his teammates with a twang.

My guess is that his height is around 6'1-6'2.* Already has the moves of a SG and can handle the ball despite playing 3,4,5 for BIS.* *Pretty athletic..can already dunk the basketball.* Has a solid mid range jumpshot and will occasionally burn you with the 3.* *Pretty strong for his age.

Has a competitive streak..which is good...

Overall, this kid will be a solid college player and is more ready than Clark Bautista for UAAP seniors ball.

I agree de chavez is versatile player I saw him played against La Salle zobel and he exploded, tremendous amount of talent from inisde and outside but what impressed me most is his ability to penetrate and slash to the basket with his long arms and can shoot 3s without hesitation...im not sure kung nakita na sya ng mga scouts....i dont have much info about him...anybody?
meron ba syang stats sa BIS?

bigfreeze_bibby
12-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Is this the same De Chavez who will play for Ateneo next year?

hoopster
12-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Is this the same De Chavez who will play for Ateneo next year?

Actually yes, he is the younger one pero may rumors sa thread na undecided pa yata, although Ateneo recruited him thru Peter Aguilar recommendation sabi nong friend ko sa Ateneo nakita daw ni Peter (Japeth dad) sa U.S. na naglalaro.The older brother daw is already locked-up na sa Ateneo malakas din daw to 2 and 3 yata. Him and Chris arrived here last year and waiting for their residency...actually madalas daw makita sa Marikina yong magkapatid.

laventana
12-07-2007, 06:13 PM
I think he could also be one of the guys recommended to Ateneo via Norman Black's connection with the people who run STEAK Productions (the guys who do the hip hop events). Apparently that production group formed a sports management company that identifies talented US Fil-Am high schoolplayers and helps them out in going to high school here early to establish residency for UAAP or NCAA college ball.

I dont know much about De Chavez. I was just watching games of my nephew and he so happened to face BIS a couple of times. Then I remembered all the hype about Bautista in articles and forums and wanted to see if it was for real. Then that Chavez or De Chavez kid stood out as certified UAAP material. Don't know if he will be good enought o make Ateneo's team A, because alot of talented kids end up on team B due to team needs on team A.

No stats. I guess he scores in the 20s or 30s. Won't be an immediate impact player, but he definitely has the tools to become a very good player in the next level.

hoopster
12-10-2007, 08:51 PM
I think he could also be one of the guys recommended to Ateneo via Norman Black's connection with the people who run STEAK Productions (the guys who do the hip hop events).* Apparently that production group formed a sports management company that identifies talented US Fil-Am high schoolplayers and helps them out in going to high school here early to establish residency for UAAP or NCAA college ball.

I dont know much about De Chavez.* I was just watching games of my nephew and he so happened to face BIS a couple of times.* *Then I remembered all the hype about Bautista in articles and forums and wanted to see if it was for real. Then that Chavez or De Chavez kid* stood out as certified UAAP material.* Don't know if he will be good enought o make Ateneo's team A, because alot of talented kids end up on team B due to team needs on team A.

No stats.* I guess he scores in the 20s or 30s.* Won't be an immediate impact player, but he definitely has the tools to become a very good player in the next level.

Is there pictures or video available for De Chavez from BIS?

oca
01-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Graduating na ba sa hs si Kevin Batac of the NU Bullpups ?

I like the way this kid plays. Needs some maturing stiil, but I like the oncourt character of this kid.

Though it may not be wise to put him at Team A of any UAAP lineup, I'll take him in my Team B anytime. Pahinugin and in due time sakit ng ulo ang ibibigay niya sa opposing teams.

With proper guidance, he can be a very good PG.

mighty_lion
02-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Vince Burke - Had a luxury to watch his game yesterday in MMBTL championship against Red Cubs B so here's my very own scouting report.

1. Should be somewhere 6'5-6'6, average body frame and signature curly hair (ala-Varejao).

2. Plays center, runs well with-out the ball, average athleticism and leaping ability.

3. Settles his offensive game as either set-up shooter or put-back scorer. Havent noticed during that game if he has post-up moves either face-up or back to the basket. The were few occasions wherein he played pick-&-roll towards the basket and pick-&-pop. The nearest comparison I could compare is Robert Kave, parang replica yong laro. Can shoot trey and good shooting form.

4. His defense as a Center is somewhere between decent and excellent for a college game. He had 2-3 blocks I think but most of which are coming from undersized RC-B slashers. Much better as weakside shot blocker than face-up. As to his rebounding its hard to assess since they matched-up with a very small team (nearly 3-4 inches differential in height for every position).

5. For UAAP level of competition seems to me that Burke is more of a project than immediate contributor.

onggok
02-04-2008, 09:37 PM
There is high basketball player here in Anaheim California his name Kyle Pascual (6'5 combo-forward and his slasher)
at kasama siya sa top senior class (2008) ng southern california. Sana ma-convice siyang maglaro ng college basketball sa Pilipinas kung hindi siya ma-recruit dito sa U.S. for more information about him just type his full name.

coreytaylor
02-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Vince Burke - Had a luxury to watch his game yesterday in MMBTL championship against Red Cubs B so here's my very own scouting report.

1. Should be somewhere 6'5-6'6, average body frame and signature curly hair (ala-Varejao).

2. Plays center, runs well with-out the ball, average athleticism and leaping ability.

3. Settles his offensive game as either set-up shooter or put-back scorer. Havent noticed during that game if he has post-up moves either face-up or back to the basket. The were few occasions wherein he played pick-&-roll towards the basket and pick-&-pop. The nearest comparison I could compare is Robert Kave, parang replica yong laro. Can shoot trey and good shooting form.

4. His defense as a Center is somewhere between decent and excellent for a college game. He had 2-3 blocks I think but most of which are coming from undersized RC-B slashers. Much better as weakside shot blocker than face-up. As to his rebounding its hard to assess since they matched-up with a very small team (nearly 3-4 inches differential in height for every position).

5. For UAAP level of competition seems to me that Burke is more of a project than immediate contributor.

thanks for the info

laventana
02-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Vince Burke is likely 6'4.
Rest of the assesment is right on target.

Not very athletic, but can run the floor well and has a well built physique.

He does not have a go to post move yet....he struggles to find his offense against a well coached 2-3 zone or when dfenders do a good job of fronting him...needs to learn how to move himself and gain position..

Scores most of his points either through put backs or jumpshots. His elbow jumper is very nice-good rotation, nice form.

Has to learn to play through fouls as I have seen him get in foul trouble in a few games.

Not as aggressive as other big men. Sometimes he coasts through games

mighty_lion's assesment is right on target..Burke will be a project rather than an immediate impact player on the next level. He won't be another Kirk Long type of player...he has good fundamentals, but dominates in HS because he is bigger than everyone else...I would like to see how he does against competition that is taller, more athletic, and quicker.

mighty_lion
02-11-2008, 04:33 PM
^ Thanks. Tingin ko rin mas effective si Burke if he playing along side with a combo slasher and passer type of player like Long. Mas labas yong laro nya as spot-up shooter and put-back scorer.

batangueño
02-11-2008, 04:35 PM
^ Thanks. Tingin ko rin mas effective si Burke if he playing along side with a combo slasher and passer type of player like Long. Mas labas yong laro nya as spot-up shooter and put-back scorer.

Ang problema, Sir mighty_lion, is that hindi pwedeng magsabay sina Long at Burke dahil labag ito sa rules ng UAAP. Unless there will be changes in the rules of the league, hindi magkakasabay sina Burke at Long sa court.

mighty_lion
02-11-2008, 04:54 PM
^ Yup. I mean combo guard na pareho kay Long yong laro. Eric Salamat is a good option if ever Burke goes to Ateneo.

Maiba ako. Bakit walang kumukuha kay Tommy Babilonia? ;D Sayang yong laki at tangkad nung bata. Nung magkasama pa sila ni Dave sa Red Cubs parang mas malaki at malapad pa yong frame ni Babilonia. As of now mukhang hindi na nga basketball ang priority ng bata kung hindi pag-aaral. Sa napag-alaman ko hindi na ito naglaro nung MMBTL para lang makapagconcentrate sa pag-aaral at maka-graduate.

batangueño
02-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Ang tanong, Sir mighty_lion, is that given those things that you have mentioned, may team ba na nagpapakita ng interes kay Babilonia?

Also, may nabasa ako dito sa gameface na, if I am not mistaken, ay gustong mag-aral nung bata o nung mga magulang ng bata sa Ateneo. Hindi kaya magkaroon ito ng effect sa mga gustong manligaw kay Babilonia?

p.s.: May balita na ba kay Vince Fran? ???

oca
02-11-2008, 05:18 PM
^ Yup. I mean combo guard na pareho kay Long yong laro. Eric Salamat is a good option if ever Burke goes to Ateneo.

Maiba ako. Bakit walang kumukuha kay Tommy Babilonia? ;D Sayang yong laki at tangkad nung bata. Nung magkasama pa sila ni Dave sa Red Cubs parang mas malaki at malapad pa yong frame ni Babilonia. As of now mukhang hindi na nga basketball ang priority ng bata kung hindi pag-aaral. Sa napag-alaman ko hindi na ito naglaro nung MMBTL para lang makapagconcentrate sa pag-aaral at maka-graduate.

Hindi kaya ang tamang tanong ay, "Bakit hindi napag-uusapan....".

Let's face it, ang hilig pag-usapan ay yaong mga pwedeng isabak agad sa labanan. Yung magaling na agad. The kid is definitley a project and even for a Red Cub fan like me, I say he is at least a 2-year project.

I heard he had to drop out of the line up dahil bumababa ang grades niya. From 1st grading to 2nd grading and indications were it was not improving as desired midway the 3rd grading.

Libro muna, itabi muna ang bola.

Abangan niyo na lang yung younger brother, 5'8" and graduating sa grade school this March. This kid knows how to move in the paint and can be the middle guy in a press break formation. He will definitely take up hs at San Beda Rizal. With 4 years under Badolato's program, di malayong pag-agawan yan in the future. Mukhang na-inherit naman yung tangkad ng tatay, pero mas gwapo ito sa tatay... sumalangit nawa.

mighty_lion
02-11-2008, 06:52 PM
^ Sayang nga talaga. I hope Tommy is still considering playing ball in college. Marunong naman pumwesto at kahit papano gumamit ng katawan, medyo malambot at mabagal nga lang. Saan man sya mapunta, I'll cheer for him pagnaglaro sya sa FMC especially pag sa Team Behold. :)

danny
02-12-2008, 02:59 AM

Maiba ako. Bakit walang kumukuha kay Tommy Babilonia?* ;D Sayang yong laki at tangkad nung bata. Nung magkasama pa sila ni Dave sa Red Cubs parang mas malaki at malapad pa yong frame ni Babilonia. As of now mukhang hindi na nga basketball ang priority ng bata kung hindi pag-aaral. Sa napag-alaman ko hindi na ito naglaro nung MMBTL para lang makapagconcentrate sa pag-aaral at maka-graduate.

Hindi kaya ang tamang tanong ay, "Bakit hindi napag-uusapan....".

Let's face it, ang hilig pag-usapan ay yaong mga pwedeng isabak agad sa labanan. Yung magaling na agad. The kid is definitley a project and even for a Red Cub fan like me, I say he is at least a 2-year project.

I heard he had to drop out of the line up dahil bumababa ang grades niya. From 1st grading to 2nd grading and indications were it was not improving as desired midway the 3rd grading.

Libro muna, itabi muna ang bola.

Abangan niyo na lang yung younger brother, 5'8" and graduating sa grade school this March. This kid knows how to move in the paint and can be the middle guy in a press break formation. He will definitely take up hs at San Beda Rizal. With 4 years under Badolato's program, di malayong pag-agawan yan in the future. Mukhang na-inherit naman yung tangkad ng tatay, pero mas gwapo ito sa tatay... sumalangit nawa.

Shhhhhhhhhhh........ ;D

Pero kahit anong pananahimik pa, basta magaling na Red Cub, mapapansin talaga.

King_stag
02-23-2008, 03:49 AM
I saw Arvie Bringas a couple of weeks ago. I think he grew bigger, He's a legit 6'6" now. He'l play another year for the staglets. Hope baste can suit him up for the seniors, because jason ballesteros will be playing his final year.

coreytaylor
02-23-2008, 05:56 PM
^ i heard from other forums that he is already recruited by ateneo since he was still a sophomore in hs together with ryan buenafe ::)

canmaker
02-23-2008, 07:49 PM
I heard from a parent of a San Beda Red Cub that LA Revilla will go to DLSU, Lobaton (likely) to SBC, and that Altamirano will try out for Peyups ...

Di ko naitanong tungkol kay Babilonia ...

mighty_lion
02-23-2008, 08:25 PM
^ Thanks for the update. Sana nga magkatotoo ang balita mo. All these days isa sa mga wish ko kahit man lang si Lobaton sa batch na ito ng Red Cubs ang mag-Team Behold. Lobaton reminds me of Kyle Yulo na mepagkaparallel ang laro nung high school at kapag end game at dikit ang laban sigurado isa yan sa loob ng basketball court sa team ni Coach Ato. One of those unusual guys whose basketball smarts are more advanced than thier basketball skills.

BLUE HORSE
02-23-2008, 09:11 PM
I heard from a parent of a San Beda Red Cub that LA Revilla will go to DLSU, Lobaton (likely) to SBC, and that Altamirano will try out for Peyups ...

You are correct on all three counts. My understanding is that a DLSU supporter who is friends with Eric Altamirano was the go between in bringing Lobaton, Altamirano and Revilla to Taft for a tryout. Revilla was the only player who had the best chance of making the DLSU team because LaSalle needs a backup pg. Revilla is battling the Zobel and LSGH boys together with a PCU player for the pg spot and by all accounts he is holding his own.

According to post in the UP thread, Altamirano made a cameo appearance during the recent tryouts. Not much was expected because he did not have extra ordinary skills for either the guard position and was cut right away.

Babilonia has the size and can be a nice project for a school needing to increase their team ceiling. If reports are correct that his mother wants him to be a student-athlete and not the other way around, he can be a nice fit for UP.

Nike Air
02-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Ralph Lansang I think is out of the running in DLSU's search for another PG that can help Simon Atkins for season 71.

oca
02-24-2008, 09:39 PM

If no other school will take him, malamang nga di na yan aalis ng SBC dahil sa "policy" ng colegio to give full scholarship to any "Red Cub first five" who decides to stay in the Den. The first 5 were Salva, Revilla, Lobaton, Panaligan and Babilonia. Si Panaligan na lang ang di pa nababanggit kung saan most likely mapupunta.

But the Red Army should be glad if Lobaton indeed stays in the Den. That kid can play, just allow him to mature.

Joescoundrel
09-15-2008, 11:06 AM
So where is Tommy Babilonia...?

LION
09-15-2008, 11:22 AM
^ In Mendiola. Taking up Nursing. And madly in love with a lioness.

razor
09-15-2008, 11:23 AM
^ SBC College of Nursing. Ayaw na maglaro. Sayang. We could have used him to shore up our Team Behold front line.

mighty_lion
09-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Nakita ko sya sa entrance ng Araneta last Wednesday. Medyo pumayat.