PDA

View Full Version : 2008 PBA Draft Prospects

Schortsanitis
11-27-2007, 09:24 PM
This early, I just want to try to anticipate which players might apply for the 2008 PBA Draft:

Almost 100% Sure Who Will Apply For The 2008 PBA Draft

* Jason Castro (5'10" Guard) - Long overdue to apply for the draft
* Gabe Norwood (6'4" Guard) - Missed this year's draft, will likely apply next year
* Marc Borboran (6'3" Forward) - No longer eligible next year in the UAAP, will likely apply for the draft
* Marcy Arellano (5'10" Guard) - No longer eligible next year in the UAAP, will likely apply for the draft
* Rino Berame (6'7" Center) - No longer eligible next year in the CESAFI, will likely apply for the draft
* Michael Luga (6'3" Forward) - No longer eligible next year in the CESAFI, will likely apply for the draft
* Jeff Chan (6'2" Forward) - Pulled out of this year's draft, will likely apply for the draft
* Solomon Mercado (5'10" Guard) - Making waves in the PBL, likely to join the draft
* Kevin Dela Pena (6'2" Guard) - Maxed out age eligibility in the NCAA, may apply for the draft
* Larry Rodriguez (6'4" Forward) - Long overdue for the draft
* Tyrone Tang (5'9" Guard) - Graduating this school year, may apply for the draft
* Pocholo Villanueva (6'0" Guard) - Graduating this school year, may apply for the draft
* Jonathan Fernandez (6'3" Forward) - Graduating this school year, may apply for the draft
* Bonbon Custodio (5'9" Guard) - Out of college for 2 seasons by next year's draft, will likely apply for the draft

Maybe Will Apply For The 2008 PBA Draft

* Jervy Cruz (6'4" Center) - Maybe will apply for the PBA Draft
* Ford Arao (6'5" Center) - Graduating this year, maybe will apply for the draft, or try to play well in the PBL first
* Pong Escobal (6'0" Guard) - Graduating next year, may apply for the draft, or try to play well in the PBL first
* Jonathan Jahnke - Graduating this school year, may apply for the draft, or try to play well in the PBL first
* Sean Co - Graduating this school year, may apply for the draft, or try to play well in the PBL first
* Edwin Asoro - Graduating this school year, may apply for the draft, or try to play well in the PBL first

mighty_lion
11-27-2007, 09:49 PM
Maybe its time for Bonbon Custodio to make himself available as well. This draft might actually end up with deeper talent than 2007 draft after all. Fully loaded with quality 1-3 guys.

Kelvin Dela Pena might make himself available also given no rules will be changed by NCAA management. Per Ubelt.com he was born 1/19/84 so that will make him 25 yrs old guy before the start of Season 85. It will be a wise move for him to make himself available in 2008 draft as well.

Schortsanitis
11-28-2007, 10:02 AM
Maybe its time for Bonbon Custodio to make himself available as well. This draft might actually end up with deeper talent than 2007 draft after all. Fully loaded with quality 1-3 guys.

Kelvin Dela Pena might make himself available also given no rules will be changed by NCAA management. Per Ubelt.com he was born 1/19/84 so that will make him 25 yrs old guy before the start of Season 85. It will be a wise move for him to make himself available in 2008 draft as well.

Thanks for the info, will keep updating the list.

Dark Knight
11-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Kinakabahan ako kay Jeff Chan. He didnt make much of an impression in his RP team stint.

Semenelin
11-28-2007, 03:53 PM
marcy and janhke can still play next year. last year ata nila next year. so unless they forego next years collegiate wars, they wont go to the draft yet.

oca
11-28-2007, 06:03 PM
I dont think Pong Escobal is a case of "Maybe Will Apply". I think he will apply. Seeing his demeanor oncourt this past 3 years (including his residency at SBC), this kid is dying to play at the highest level possible. Walang medya-medya sa batang ito. There is no point in staying another year at the PBL when infact he has matched well against college players also playing at the PBL. Unless he becomes part of the non-PBA national team and the calendar for that team excites him.

Schortsanitis
11-28-2007, 08:50 PM
I think Pong needs to play & prove himself in the PBL first. We've seen a couple of collegiate stars who have not ended up playing well in the PBL (Arao being the latest), & I think that is a bit of a bother, sort of like a concern of how well he will do in the PBA.

I'm not aware of Pong's performance the last time SBC joined the PBL, but I think we need to see how he plays on a new team in an intermediate league like the PBL. Same thing w/ Ogie.

gambitx
12-08-2007, 12:58 PM
I Escobal is PBA ready... He's a smart palyer

gameface_one
05-21-2008, 08:54 AM
Door now open for local, Fil-foreign aspirants for ‘08 Rookie Draft

By DAVE COROS
Business Mirror Correspondent

The door is now open for both local and Filipino-foreign players interested to join the 2008 Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) Rookie Draft.

Application is now available at the PBA headquarters at 186 E. Rodriguez Avenue, Libis, Quezon City. Under the league’s admission policies, Fil-foreign applicants are also required to submit essential documents that will attest to their blood lineage.

The documentary requirements are a certificate of recognition from the Bureau of Immigration, an affirmation from the Department of Justice, an authenticated birth certificate from the National Statistics Office, if applicant is born in the Philippines (or equivalent official agency in country of birth other than the Philippines), an authenticated birth certificate of Filipino parent or other valid documents acceptable to the appropriate agency, a marriage certificate of parents (or in the absence thereof due to circumstances beyond applicants control, legal recognition by applicant’s Filipino father or other proof evidencing filiation such as will, record of birth or DNA test results), duly notarized and/or authenticated naturalization papers of Filipino parents and duly notarized affidavits of at least three persons residing in the Philippines attesting to the claim of citizenship of applicant.

Prospective Fil-foreign applicants have until July 8 to submit the requirements. Three days later, the list will be submitted to the 10 team members, which will be given one month to verify and contest (if needed) the documents of Fil-foreign applicants.

The contestability period on the legitimacy of the Fil-foreign applicants will run from July 12 to August 11.

“The process of applying for the draft has been properly scheduled to make it easier for prospective rookie players as well as for the teams themselves. At the same time, we want everything to go smoothly when the league holds its annual Rookie Draft on August 31,” said PBA commissioner Renauld “Sonny” Barrios.

Local players have until August 12 to tender their respective application and requirements, while the final day of deciding the contestability of Fil-foreign applicants is on August 13.

The official list of candidates for the annual draft will be issued on August 15.

To provide the teams an insight of the type of player they intend to select in the draft, the official candidates will be required to take part in the three-day expanded Rookie Camp from August 21 to 23 to showcase their skills and ability.

Among the possible rookie prospects for this year are highly touted Fil-Americans Gabe Norwood and Solomon Mercado, reigning University Athletic Association of the Philippines Most Valuable Player Jervy Cruz, guard TY Tang, the Ateneo duo of Ford Arao and Chris Tiu, University of the East big man Mark Borboran and Harbour Centre’s Beau Belga.

Last year, Welcoat Paints used the No. 1 overall selection on Toyota Otis center Joe Devance.

erichubert
05-22-2008, 05:41 PM
With Castro possibly out of the draft, this early it looks like a very shallow pool to choose from. I see many teams passing in the 2nd round with the dearth of talents available. Outside of Gabe Norwood, I think there are few potential all-stars in this group.

The_Big_Cat
05-22-2008, 09:21 PM
The best four out there would be: Norwood, Mercado, Borboran and Rodriguez.

joelex
05-23-2008, 12:20 AM
if plans dont miscarry, i guess we could add JARED DILINGER to the list, as per the Philippine Star today. At 6-5 and playing the point, he could be a rival of Norwood for the number one spot.

BigBlue
05-23-2008, 10:27 AM
if plans dont miscarry, i guess we could add JARED DILINGER to the list, as per the Philippine Star today. At 6-5 and playing the point, he could be a rival of Norwood for the number one spot.

sino sya? name doesnt ring a bell. doesnt the PBA require a certain number of games played locally in other leagues like the PBL, UAAP, NCAA, etc., before being qualified for the draft?

erichubert
05-23-2008, 10:41 AM
He is a graduate of University of Hawaii and played Division I basketball in the States. I think his game is like that of Danny Seigle although he could play point guard and is a better defender.

The_Big_Cat
05-23-2008, 11:42 AM

If Jared Dilinger plans to apply to the PBA, he needs to suit up 25 games in the PBL.
A requirement for Filipino-foreign players.

erichubert
05-23-2008, 11:50 AM
According to the article in the Star, he will be playing in Liga Pilipinas, I think he doing this so that he could have the needed games to apply for the draft, I think maybe in 2009. With the league starting only in June, I doubt he could have the needed 25 games under his belt before August.

The_Big_Cat
05-23-2008, 12:00 PM
^Yes he could not make it for this year's draft. Next year perhaps, to be able to get the 25-game requirement.
Credit Noli Eala for luring this kid to play in Liga Pilipinas.

erichubert
05-23-2008, 12:09 PM
While he is at it, Eala might want to recruit some of the other Fil-Ams like Adrian Sosa who was rumored to be coming over here to play in the PBL. Another name to watch out for is Jeff Dosado who is a very good point guard in the NCAA. Sana nga these guys can apply for this year's draft already to make the draft deeper.

The_Big_Cat
05-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Is 6'6" Angel Raymundo available in this coming draft?

If Angel is available, I would like to see Purefoods draft him. Another brother combo (Kerby & Angel) in one team since

Yancy & Ranidel De Ocampo (Air21)
Calvin & Arnie Tuadles (Shell)
Harmon & Pat Codinera (Ginebra)
Eleazar & Glenn Capacio (Purefoods)
Joey & Chito Loyzaga (Ginebra)

bchoter
05-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Ingat sila kay Jared. Baka apo no John yan. Jared "the Outlaw" :D

Although they have this uncanny resemblance and they share the same surname I heard before that they're not related daw.

How about the Hugnatan bros?

erichubert
05-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Is 6'6"* Angel Raymundo available in this coming draft?

If Angel is available, I would like to see Purefoods draft him. Another brother combo (Kerby & Angel) in one team since

Yancy & Ranidel De Ocampo (Air21)
Calvin & Arnie Tuadles (Shell)
Harmon & Pat Codinera (Ginebra)
Eleazar & Glenn Capacio (Purefoods)
Joey & Chito Loyzaga (Ginebra)

They are not brothers, they just have the same surnames and look alike. Angel I think is eligible because he backed out of the draft last year I think. He could be a good prospect but I think he could be another Barcellano or Abby Santos in the making, meaning perennial bench warmer.

kerouac82
05-23-2008, 01:37 PM
He can play the 25 games in the Liga Filipina. He's in the Pampanga lineup.

erichubert
05-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Unless they give Jared an exception, he can't finish the 25 games before the draft. He would be better off getting himself acquainted with the local playing styles and conditions before applying next year for the draft.

The_Big_Cat
05-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Dillinger is now 24 years old and will not make it in this year's draft.

He would probably complete his requirements by next year for the 2009 PBA draft. By then, Dillinger would be 25 years old. Jay Washington, Kelly Williams and Joe DeVance were 25 years when they entered the PBA.

whiplash
05-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Who are the best players in the NCRAA, UCAA and the NAASCU that are eligible for the PBA Draft?

erichubert
05-26-2008, 03:48 PM
There are a lot of players from these mid-level collegiate leagues that are playing in the PBL but only a few are really ready for the PBA. The most notable is Chito Jaime of AMA, 6'4 forward, with good shooting touch and above average rebounding skills. Sort of a tweener, but if he can prove that he can play the 4 in the pros, he should make it.

The others are still raw like Leomer Losentes and Celada.

The_Big_Cat
05-26-2008, 04:20 PM
There are a lot of players from these mid-level collegiate leagues that are playing in the PBL but only a few are really ready for the PBA. The most notable is Chito Jaime of AMA, 6'4 forward, with good shooting touch and above average rebounding skills. Sort of a tweener, but if he can prove that he can play the 4 in the pros, he should make it.

The others are still raw like Leomer Losentes and Celada.

Chito Jaime is this year's Most Improved Player in the PBL.

gameface_one
06-10-2008, 07:34 AM
In Huddle
Coloso son ready for PBA

By Beth Celis
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 01:38:00 06/08/2008

IF HE WAS A BIT IRRITATED BY THE interruption, Manny Pacquiao managed to mask this to some degree during the phone-patch interview with the media held at 11 a.m. last Friday at the 17th floor of the GMA-7 building in Quezon City.

No, Manny didn’t sound irritated, but it was easy to tell that he was distracted.

There was so much noise in the background he and the interviewer could hardly hear each other. Manny was in Los Angeles. He did not mention exactly where, but most likely in his apartment. It was 7 p.m. there.

Manny said the pandemonium came from his end of the phone line. His television set was blaring. Manny said he was watching the first game of the best-of-seven NBA championship series between the Los Angeles Lakers and the Boston Celtics.

“Who’s winning?” interviewer Abac Cordero felt compelled to ask.

Manny told him it was Boston. The Celtics eventually won the game.

While no Filipino has ever held a world boxing title in the lightweight division, Manny is not bothered. The legendary Gabriel “Flash” Elorde took a crack at the title twice, but failed.

“Iba naman sila, iba naman ako,” he said, his voice teeming with confidence and promise that a Filipino will at last hold a world lightweight title.

Before the press conference broke up, I asked fellow scribes who were with me in the same table what they think it would take for Mexican David Diaz to beat Manny Pacquiao in their coming WBC lightweight showdown.

Abac said Manny could be defeated only if he is not in good shape.

For Ronnie Nathanielsz, Diaz would have to poison the Pacman in order to win on June 29.

Like most of you, I was not aware that Dustin Coloso, son of former PBA cager Tim Coloso, who is now based in New Jersey, was drafted by Red Bull back in 2003.

Well, yesterday I received an email from Abe King, PBA Legends Foundation USA chairman, informing me that Dustin is now available to play in the PBA.

According to Abe, the main reason why Dustin could not sign up in 2003 was because “his legal papers to travel outside the USA was not yet approved at the time.”

Abe forgot to mention Dustin’s height and age, but he described the boy as a natural shooter who averages 13 points a game.

“He is at his best in the No. 2 position, but he is also proficient in the No. 1 and 3 positions. Dustin played three years for Hackensack High School, and another four years for a Division 3 US NCAA school, from 1999 to 2003.

“Dustin is a high percentage shooter. He can also guard taller and heftier opponents. He is highly recommended by Abet (Guidaben), Yoyoy (Villamin) and Eddie Boy (Mendoza), all former PBA cagers now based in New Jersey,” Abe said.

If we don’t want to take his word for it, Abe said he would personally bring Dustin with him when he flies to Manila next month for the PBA Legends’ first medical mission in Antipolo.

erichubert
06-10-2008, 05:29 PM
Coloso can't be considered for the draft as the article stated he was drafted already by Red Bull.

bchoter
06-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Hence, he is now a restricted free agent.

The_Big_Cat
06-11-2008, 10:02 AM
^And can negotiate with any team he wants.

bchoter
06-11-2008, 10:37 AM
^ Since RB did not offer him a contract or was not able to sign him up and it's more than a years since he was drafted does that mean RB no longer own his rights?

Schortsanitis
06-17-2008, 09:25 AM
http://sports.inquirer.net/inquirersports/inquirersports/view/20080617-143101/3-UAAP-stars-join-PBA-draft-Helterbrand-is-weeks-best

3 UAAP Stars Join PBA Draft; Helterbrand Is Week’s Best

By Jasmine W. Payo
Philippine Daily Inquirer

Posted date: June 17, 2008

MANILA, Philippines—Three collegiate stars hope to make their mark in the Philippine Basketball Association following stellar amateur careers.

De La Salle University’s TY Tang, University of the East’s Mark Borboran and Far Eastern University’s Jeff Chan on Monday submitted their applications to join the annual PBA Rookie Draft set on Aug. 31.

The crafty point guard Tang capped his amateur stint by bagging the finals MVP plums in both the 2007 championship runs of La Salle in the University Athletic Association of the Philippines and Harbour Centre in the Philippine Basketball League.

Borboran, the main cog in the Warriors’ consistently strong UAAP campaign, was a member of the Mythical Team both in the 2007 UAAP season and the recent 2008 PBL conference.

Chan, a member of the Tamaraws’ 2005 UAAP championship squad, also captured the PBL Finals Pivotal Player award last month.

Other highly touted candidates expected to join the draft include Fil-Am guard Gabe Norwood of Hapee Toothpaste, Harbour Centre’s Solomon Mercado, Mapua’s Kelvin dela Peña and Philippine Christian University’s Beau Belga.

Filipino players with foreign roots may submit their application until July 8, while the deadline for local players is on Aug. 13. The league will issue a list of qualified applicants on Aug. 15 before holding a rookie camp from Aug. 21 to 23.

Meanwhile, Barangay Ginebra guard Jayjay Helterbrand earned the Smart/Accel-PBA Press Corps Player of the Week citation for the second straight time, duplicating the achievement of Talk ‘N Text’s Marc Cardona in the 2006-07 Philippine Cup.

Helterbrand shot 17 points, including seven in the final three minutes, to key the Kings’ victory over Purefoods, 89-81, last Wednesday.

Three days later, the 5-foot-11 playmaker came through the clutch again in the Kings’ 91-84 triumph over Coca-Cola.

©Copyright 2001-2008 INQUIRER.net, An Inquirer Company

Schortsanitis
06-24-2008, 08:58 PM
http://www.philstar.com/scripts/article_print.php?PhilStar&id=20080623118&type=2

RP Five Ace, UAAP Stars Join draft

By Nelson Beltran

Tuesday, June 24 2008 (www.philstar.com)

Jonathan Fernandez, a gunner who had provided outside threat for the RP team in several international competitions since the country’s reinstatement in the FIBA rolls, joined the first batch of players making themselves available for the 2008 PBA Rookie Draft.

La Salle’s Cholo Villanueva and University of the East’s Kelvin Gregorio were two other players who submitted draft application yesterday, bringing to six the number of aspirants for the drafting slated Aug. 31 in Market! Market! at the Fort in Taguig.

TY Tang and Jeff Chan, Fernandez’s teammates at Harbour Centre, and Hapee Toothpaste’s Mark Borboran were the first players to apply for the draft last week.

Fil-Am guard-forward Gabe Norwood is expected to beat the July 8 deadline for draft application among Fil-foreign players where he is tipped to be the No. 1 choice whichever team gains the right to pick first in the draft exercise.

This early, Welcoat is assured of two balls in the lottery being the worst performer in the season about to end. Co-team owners Terry Que and Raymund Yu have said they’re very interested in the services of the all-around former US NCAA Division I mainstay.

Solomon Mercado is another highly scouted Fil-Am player, but apparently, he’s still working on his papers.

Fernandez, Tang, Chan and Borboran are homegrown talents who are prospective first-round picks.

Fernandez, Tang and Chan are members of the Harbour Centre team that copped a fifth straight championship in the PBL. The three were also teammates in the RP team that placed second to Indonesia in the most recent SEABA Champions Cup.

Borboran, a 6-foot-5 center/forward out of UE, was part of the Mythical Selection in the PBL Lipovitan Amino Sports Cup.

The team that will pick first will be known in a lottery to be held during the PBA Fiesta Conference finals. The complete draft order will be determined after the conclusion of the tourney.

Meanwhile, the PBA Commissioner’s Office announced that the postponed twinbill at the Araneta Coliseum Sunday will be played on July 6 at the Astrodome.

Red Bull was to take a shot at an outright playoff for the quarterfinals against Sta. Lucia Realty. The other game pits Alaska Milk vs Barangay Ginebra.

Copyright 2007. Philstar Global Corp. All rights reserved. This article cannot be published or redistributed without the permission of the publisher.

Schortsanitis
06-24-2008, 08:59 PM
2008 PBA Rookie Draft aspirants as of Tue., June 24, 2008 are:

1) T.Y. Tang (PG, 5'9", DLSU0
2) Mark Borboran (C-PF, 6'4", UE)
3) Jeff Chan (SG-SF, 6'2")
4) Jonathan Fernandez (SG-SF, 6'2")
5) Cholo Villanueva (SG, 5'10")
6) Kelvin Gregorio (C-PF, 6'4")

CM_Punk
07-07-2008, 08:26 AM
http://www.mb.com.ph/SPRT20080707129197.html

Norwood’s PBA stint in jeopardy

Gabe Norwood may end up playing in Europe than in the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA).

The six-foot-five Fil-American is frustrated that he could not get a clearance from the Department of Justice to play in the PBA and is contemplating on packing his bags for France, according to Norwood’s friend who wished not to be named.

Norwood, who wore the national jersey twice, carries a Philippine passport, but can’t play in the PBA without a DoJ clearance.

He’s required to submit documents that one of his parents has a Filipino blood.

Norwood, who played for Hapee Toothpaste in the Philippine Basketball League, has a Filipino grandmother born in Hawaii, according to Hapee team manager Bernard Yang.

Norwood has until tomorrow to submit his application to the PBA Commissioner’s office.

Norwood played twice for the Philippine team – the first during the FIBA-Asian Championship in Tokushima, Japan last year where the San Miguel-backed pro team finished a disappointing ninth place. He also played for the Harbour Centre-backed RP team that won the SEA Games gold in Thailand also last year.

Welcoat Paints, which is hoping to win the lottery for the No. 1 pick, had earlier signified its interest in getting the former George Mason University standout.

In the event Norwood could not produce the needed papers on time, Welcoat owners Raymund Yu and Terry Que are inclined to get Harbour Centre prolific guard Solomon Mercado.

"If Norwood is not available, then we have two more options. But we have to consult our coaching staff first regarding our plans," said Que. "We need someone who can provide stability to the team."

"We heard so many good things about Mercado. We need a scorer, so if the coaching staff likes him, he’s one of our option," said Yu.

Aside from Mercado, other top PBL players who have already submitted their application forms are TY Tang, Mark Borboran, Kelvin Gregorio, and Kevin Dalafu.

Joescoundrel
07-07-2008, 11:51 AM
If Gabe Norwood gets his DOJ clearance he will definitely be the top draft pick. At 6'5" and 190 pounds and able to play both guard spots he will be a rare commodity in the PBA. His PBL and RP Team numbers may not pop out and grab you but his overall athletic prowess is undeniable.

The more important question is who will be picked from Numbers 2 to 10? Number 2 is especially intriguing: this is reserved for those with big names and known games in the amateurs. I would say this might be UE / Hapee's Mark Borboran or San Beda's Pong Escobal. Borboran brings a lot of athleticism in a 6'5" 190 pound body and has shown a high skill level across the board. Escobal is a PBA-sized combo guard at 6-feet and some 175 pounds; he may not be the superb athlete in the mold of Mike Cortez or Jay Helterbrand, the players he will match up against, but he displays good intelligence, court recognition and a quick trigger. We should also not discount the "pretty boy" factor of Escobal, a surefire fan magnet for PBA teams.

Larry Rodriguez may be overdue for the PBA but his game may or may not translate into the PBA since he is a 6'5" power forward whose game does not extend outside of the power zone. He isn't in the same class as Bitoy Omolon and Leo Najorda because he does not have their perimeter shot nor ability to run the floor, never mind the likes of Danny Siegle, Danny Ildefonso and the other superstar forwards.

Speaking of surprises Arellano's 6'4" forward Orlando Daroya and AMA's 6'5" power forward Chito Jaime may be surprises in the second round. Both are long, lean and athletic and have perimeter shots to complement their low post games and rebounding. Daroya may have an in already given he is Marlou Aquino's cousin and an on again-off again practise player for Sta Lucia realty.

bchoter
07-07-2008, 12:57 PM
What? Gabe can't but Crizano can? The DOJ gods must be crazy.

tigerman
07-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Crisano has the support of SMC. Let's wait till the SMC comes into the picture.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

The_Big_Cat
07-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Gabe Norwood deserves to be in the PBA. He has served his country well last year. Playing for Team Pilipinas in the 2007 FIBA Asia Championships and the 2007 SEA Games.

Gabe will get the "green light" from the DOJ. Ang tanong lang kung kailan?
Remember Joe DeVance had a similar situation in 2006 where he failed to secure the clearance on time and eventually waited another year to join the PBA.

I also heard that Jason Castro might send in his name because he is not sure if he will be resigned after 7 months in the NBL.

joelex
07-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Jared Dilinger has already submitted his application for this year's draft.

What do u guys think of his chances? Has anyone caught any of his games in Liga Pilipinas?

erichubert
07-07-2008, 05:06 PM
I caught some of his games with Pampanga. I think he played more of the wing position with the Pampanga Buddies, whereas he played point in the NCAA so he might still be trying to get used to the new position. He is a little tentative still but he has shown great ability to slash and hit the occassional 3 pt bombs. I think he should be among the first 5 picks taken of this relatively weak draft.

The_Big_Cat
07-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Jared Dilinger has already submitted his application for this year's draft.

What do u guys think of his chances? Has anyone caught any of his games in Liga Pilipinas?

I like his game. He would definitely be in the top 3 of any PBA Draft.
He has not yet fulfilled the 25 game requirement (PBL,NCAA, UAAP, LIGA or any homegrown league), so he is not eligible this year.

joelex
07-07-2008, 05:55 PM
i think he is on pace to reach the mimimun before the draft, IINM, he has 10 games under his belt already..

The_Big_Cat
07-07-2008, 06:03 PM
i think he is on pace to reach the mimimun before the draft, IINM, he has 10 games under his belt already..

I am not aware of that. Well, that's good news for him and the PBA.

Schortsanitis
07-07-2008, 08:52 PM
I think the only solution to Gabe's problem, is for the PBA to extend its deadline. Not sure if somebody with Barrios' mindset will consider that, though.

Those vultures at the DoJ are probably just waiting for somebody to pay them off before they "fasttrack" Gabe's confirmation (shakes head).

Joescoundrel, I think Larry Rodriguez deserves at least a reserve spot on a PBA team, if only for his work ethic and persistence. Who knows, he might click, ala Chico Lanete.

Joescoundrel
07-07-2008, 10:47 PM
^ I've been thinking about it: if Melvin Mamaclay can get drafted why not Larry Rodriguez nga naman? Rodriguez is a stronger and better built forward. I believe though that Rodriguez needs to upgrade his shooting and handling, even just going east-west if not necessarily north-south, that way he can offer more than always trying to post up and/or overpower his man, something he can do easily in the PBL but may not quite work out for him in the PBA. But yes, you're absolutely right - there's no questioning his desire, heart and work ethic.

Bon Custodio is some one for whom Raul Banzon's plyometric training has done a lot of good. He was once just another volume shooter but now he has improved his on-ball defense, overall quickness and explosiveness. This has given him more spring AND control for that pull-up jumper, as well as his drives into the lane. At 6'1" or 6'2" and some 180 pounds he might be the Ronjay Buenafe for the next draft class.

Is former PCU Dolphins and San Mig Coffee center Joel Solis applying for the draft? There's always room for athletic 6'6" 6'7" players in the PBA. Or has he already tried for the draft before...?

erichubert
07-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Joel Solis applied last year but went undrafted. I was shocked he didn't get picked even just in the 2nd round with his good showing in the PBA draft camp. He outplayed players like Philip Butel and Melvin Mamaclay but still didn't get selected. Actually, the draft camp of the PBA really is useless, the coaches have a set of blue-chippers in mind and these are the ones that are selected first, after that palakasan na lang, either the player was a former player of the assistant coach or is friends with this or that coaching staff member.

The_Big_Cat
07-08-2008, 10:49 AM
With a 6'5" frame, it is a no-brainer that PMI's Larry Rodriguez is easily the best skilled (offense & defense) big guy in this year's draft along with PCU's Beau Belga.

BigBlue
07-08-2008, 10:57 AM
will Ford push through with his draft application this year?

erichubert
07-08-2008, 12:04 PM
I read that Ford suffered another ACL injury recently so I think he won't apply yet this year. With or without the ACL I doubt that he would be drafted, he is a little undersized like Enrico yet he doesn't have the footspeed nor the athleticism of Rico.

Larry Rodriguez' game is ready for the PBA, his body is a little frail though and I think he will be measured around 6'3 so I think he should learn to play the 3 spot ala Leo Najorda to stick in the league. The better pro prospect in my opinion is Chito Jaime, 6'4 and versatile, he can translate his game to the pros right away.

cub
07-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Rob Reyes and Jared Dillinger have already applied for the draft.

Schortsanitis
07-08-2008, 04:08 PM
2008 PBA Rookie Draft aspirants as of Tue., July 8, 2008 are:

1)* T.Y. T@ng (PG, 5'9", DLSU)
2)* Mark Borboran (C-PF, 6'4", UE)
3)* Jeff Chan (SG-SF, 6'2")
4)* Jonathan Fernandez (SG-SF, 6'2")
5)* Cholo Villanueva (SG, 5'10")
6)* Kelvin Gregorio (C-PF, 6'4")
7)* Solomon Mercado (6'0", SG)
8)* Rob Reyes (6'4", F)
9)* Jared Dillinger (6'3", SG)

Not too many players joining the draft this year, but I expect the list to increase by tomorrow as some will likely try to beat the deadline this evening

erichubert
07-08-2008, 04:32 PM
All 9 are potential first rounders. I wonder what the PBA will do if only 9 players apply for a particular draft? Will they go on with the show or just hold a private non-televised draft? Just wondering ;D

bchoter
07-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Has Bonbon Custodio applied last season? If he applies this season he should crowd the Fil-Am 2 guards for the top SG.

mighty_lion
07-08-2008, 05:37 PM
All 9 are potential first rounders. I wonder what the PBA will do if only 9 players apply for a particular draft? Will they go on with the show or just hold a private non-televised draft? Just wondering* ;D

Magkakandarapa ang mga team managers.... Sa kung sino ang kukuha ng second rounders nila for future picks. ;D

The_Big_Cat
07-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Its still early and the deadline for locals in on August. Marami pa dyan ang papasok.

Welcoat might do ala-Chicago and draft point guard MVP Jason Castro over a talented left-handed player (like Michael Beasley) in Jared Dilinger.

Joescoundrel
07-08-2008, 07:20 PM
^ Isn't Jason Castro Australia-bound already, or more to the point, Singapore-bound...?

The_Big_Cat
07-08-2008, 08:13 PM
^ Isn't Jason Castro Australia-bound already, or more to the point, Singapore-bound...?

Check out the news articles.

He will join the PBA Draft. His contract with the Slingers is only for 7 months.
It has been said two months ago that he might not get re-signed and opted to throw in hiis name for the upcoming PBA Draft.

coreytaylor
07-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Norwood signs up for PBA draft
Hapee star submits papers, needs only DoJ nod
By Jasmine W. Payo, Philippine Daily Inquirer
http://sports.inquirer.net/

MANILA, Philippines—Gabe Norwood, the sensational Filipino-American who starred for the national squad and for Hapee Toothpaste in the Philippine Basketball League, has applied for the PBA draft, the pro league’s media bureau said Tuesday.

The Philippine Basketball Association Commissioner’s Office had given foreign-raised Filipinos until Tuesday to apply for the draft, which takes place on Aug. 31.

Jared Dillinger, who is currently seeing action for the Pampanga Buddies in the Liga Pilipinas, also beat the deadline for application, along with Charles Water.

Water is a relative of Sta. Lucia Realty top gun Kelly Williams.

Norwood was a last-minute recruit for the national team that played in the FIBA Asia Olympic qualifying tournament in Tokushima, Japan last year. That team, coached by Chot Reyes, finished ninth in the tournament.

The former George Mason U star in the US NCAA then suited up for Hapee, leading the squad to a pair of runner-up finishes in the PBL.

This early, Norwood is a consensus No. 1 pick in the August draft, if he can submit his requirements on time.

Cagers raised abroad must submit several documents to prove their Filipino lineage. Among these documents is an affirmation from the Department of Justice.

“We are asking them to submit their requirements weeks before the draft to give us time to go over their authenticity,” said media bureau chief Willie Marcial.

Norwood has already submitted his Philippine passport, which he used for the Tokushima joust, his birth certificate and auxiliary documents proving his Filipino lineage.

Hapee team manager Bernard Yang said Norwood “is now waiting for his papers from Malacañang,” to make official his application for the draft.

A Malacañang document will cut short the circuitous route to a DoJ affirmation.

Norwood is currently in the United States taking a vacation. He is expected to arrive two weeks before the draft.

Among those who have already applied for the draft are Fil-Ams Solomon Mercado, Rob Reyes and Kevin Dalafu and De La Salle University’s TY t@ng and Cholo Villanueva, University of the East’s Mark Broboran and Kelvin Gregorio, Far Eastern University’s Jeff Chan, National University’s Jonathan Fernandez and Jason Castro.

Castro is set to leave for Australia on Wednesday to fulfill his contract with the National Basketball League’s Singapore Lingers. He will play there until March next year.

He has already left his papers with player agent Danny Espiritu and the PBA board has allowed him to participate in the draft despite his absence. The team that picks him will earn his playing rights just in case Castro won’t play a second season in Australia and decides to fly home.

Expected to also join the draft are Ateneo de Manila University’s Ford Arao, Philippine Christian University’s Beau Belga and Mapua Institute of Technology’s Kelvin dela Peña.

The rookies will attend a training camp before the draft.

OT: Sorry full battle gear, na-double-post ko!

thadzonline
07-09-2008, 10:57 AM
I think the only solution to Gabe's problem, is for the PBA to extend its deadline. Not sure if somebody with Barrios' mindset will consider that, though.

Those vultures at the DoJ are probably just waiting for somebody to pay them off before they "fasttrack" Gabe's confirmation (shakes head).

Joescoundrel, I think Larry Rodriguez deserves at least a reserve spot on a PBA team, if only for his work ethic and persistence. Who knows, he might click, ala Chico Lanete.

Are we even sure he is qualified?

The only way Gabe could have acquired citizenship is either of the following:
1. if one parent was a Filipino at time of his birth
2. if one parent actually re-acquired Filipino citizenship, by virtue of the dual citizenship law, before he reached age 18
3. naturalization

a naturalized player is not considered a local in the PBA, right? So either he satisfies at least one of the first 2 then he probably is eligible

The_Big_Cat
07-09-2008, 11:04 AM

2. if one parent actually re-acquired Filipino citizenship, by virtue of the dual citizenship law, before he reached age 18
3. naturalization

a naturalized player is not considered a local in the PBA, right? So either he satisfies at least one of the first 2 then he probably is eligible

Yes. Gabe Norwood is qualified. Gabe's grandmother is Filipina.
You can relate his roots similar to Rudy Hatfield. Rudy got his certification & clearance because his grandfather is Filipino.
Gabe Norwood has already served his country in the international level twice last year. He deserves to be in the PBA.

thadzonline
07-09-2008, 12:29 PM
We should be aware of the technicalities as mentioned in my previous post. I think one of Hatfield's parents still had Philippine citizenship at the time of his birth. Question is can the same be said of Gabe Norwood. If he did not satisfy the conditions for citizenship set in our fundamental law, then probably something fishy happened when he was allowed to play in the national team

bluetruck
07-09-2008, 03:35 PM
isnt it odd for one to be given a phil passport to play for the country and yet is barred from earning his keep here?

erichubert
07-09-2008, 05:47 PM
I find the DOJ confirmation and all the other stuff the PBA is asking for useless. I know it was meant to prevent Fil-Shams from entering the league but I think that the player must be allowed to play as long as he shows enough proof of his Filipino lineage. The PBA should not pass this process or job to the DOJ or other agencies, do it themselves to stop all this stupid situations. We all know that government agencies are prone to corruption or palakasan systems and this could be the reason why some players like Crisano can get their papers in order while legit Fil-Ams like Norwood can't.

The_Big_Cat
07-09-2008, 06:17 PM
I find the DOJ confirmation and all the other stuff the PBA is asking for useless. I know it was meant to prevent Fil-Shams from entering the league but I think that the player must be allowed to play as long as he shows enough proof of his Filipino lineage. The PBA should not pass this process or job to the DOJ or other agencies, do it themselves to stop all this stupid situations. We all know that government agencies are prone to corruption or palakasan systems and this could be the reason why some players like Crisano can get their papers in order while legit Fil-Ams like Norwood can't.

I think wala na sa jurisdiction ng PBA ang pag determine if you have Filipino lineage or not.

You have to remember when Tanduay "Fil-Sham" Earl Sonny Alvarado's fake birth certificate was discovered, the said document contained the NSO registry number of the son of a staff member of the late Jun Bernardino's office. That staff member since then was banished from the PBA.

thadzonline
07-09-2008, 08:42 PM
isnt it odd for one to be given a phil passport to play for the country and yet is barred from earning his keep here?

question is how did he acquire the passport. It's either there were shortcuts taken or the PBA rules are just too stupid

The_Big_Cat
07-10-2008, 08:39 AM
^He applied for dual citizenship. He applied when Team Pilipinas was still training in Europe early 2007.

thadzonline
07-10-2008, 12:52 PM
^He applied for dual citizenship. He applied when Team Pilipinas was still training in Europe early 2007.

so that means, one of his parents reacquired Filipino citizenship while he was below age 18? If the answer is yes, well and good. If not, then he is considered naturalized technically

Semenelin
07-10-2008, 01:09 PM

3. naturalization

Yes. Gabe Norwood is qualified. Gabe's grandmother is Filipina.
You can relate his roots similar to Rudy Hatfield. Rudy got his certification & clearance because his grandfather is Filipino.
Gabe Norwood has already served his country in the international level twice last year. He deserves to be in the PBA.

serving the country doesnt make you a Filipino. sabi nga ni Thadz, its the technicalities that is making life hard for Gabe.

thadzonline
07-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Chris Viardo? Fil-German and here are some links:

http://www.asia-basket.com/player.as...PlayerID=51744
http://www.allballers.com/news_details.html?id=113

The_Big_Cat
07-14-2008, 01:02 PM
I recall Viardo playing under coach Luigi Trillo for Cebuana Lhuillier in 2006 PBL season.

Joescoundrel
07-14-2008, 01:05 PM
Thadz, are any of your Cebu standouts applying for the draft? I'd love to see Nino Ramirez in the PBA.

As for Gabe Norwood I think the PBA should revise its rules for players who have seen RP Team duty, i.e. when a player has been allowed to play in at least two international FIBA-sanctioned competitions then his citizenship should be assumed as Filipino already, thus allowing him to play in the PBA as a local.

I totally agree with one of the opinions above that having played for flag and country should be enough qualification to play in the PBA as a local.

thadzonline
07-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Thadz, are any of your Cebu standouts applying for the draft? I'd love to see Nino Ramirez in the PBA.

Ramirez personally feels he is not ready yet and would like to go through the PBL. I'm thinking maybe Rino Berame will be more interested.

As for Gabe Norwood I think the PBA should revise its rules for players who have seen RP Team duty, i.e. when a player has been allowed to play in at least two international FIBA-sanctioned competitions then his citizenship should be assumed as Filipino already, thus allowing him to play in the PBA as a local.

I totally agree with one of the opinions above that having played for flag and country should be enough qualification to play in the PBA as a local.

I think the PBA is being more careful with the issue especially that they have been burned in the various fil-shams that saw action in the league before. While Gabe did play for the Philippines, we have very specific laws pertaining to citizenship which I think the PBA is also abiding with. Pero tama ka, why would he be allowed to play for Team Philippines if hindi naman siya qualified? It's possible shortcuts were taken to get him to play for the team. If this is the case, talagang ginamit lang si Gabe

Schortsanitis
07-21-2008, 08:53 PM
* 2008 PBA Rookie Draft aspirants as of Tue., July 21, 2008 are:
1) T.Y. Tang (PG, 5'9", DLSU)*
2) Mark Borboran (C-PF, 6'4", UE)*
7) Solomon Mercado (6'0", SG)*
8) Rob Reyes (6'4", F)*
9) Jared Dillinger (6'3", SG)*
10) Gabe Norwood (6'4", PG)*
11) Kevin Dalafu (?, ?)
12) Christopher Viardo (5'11", SG)
13) Charles Waters (?, ?)
14) Jason Castro (5'8", PG)*

* There are supposed to be 18 draftees, but I can only identify 14. Gad knows who those other 4 are.

* This year's draft are kinda shallow, since most of the local college stars stayed away from it. Lots of unknowns, or projected role players.

* I put an asterisk (*) on projected players I feel are worth drafting, and there are only 7 by my count.

* Some of those unknowns could pull a surprise, though. Then again, they might not. I don't expect a lot of players to be drafted, most will likely end up in the free agent market.

joelex
07-21-2008, 11:19 PM
any news if eligible draftess such as bon custodio, beau belga and pong escobal, kelvin dela pena are applying? they are ripe for the pros already IMO

jordan
07-23-2008, 08:04 PM
* 2008 PBA Rookie Draft aspirants as of Tue., July 21, 2008 are:
1) T.Y. t@ng (PG, 5'9", DLSU)*
2) Mark Borboran (C-PF, 6'4", UE)*
7) Solomon Mercado (6'0", SG)*
8) Rob Reyes (6'4", F)*
9) Jared Dillinger (6'3", SG)*
10) Gabe Norwood (6'4", PG)*
11) Kevin Dalafu (?, ?)
12) Christopher Viardo (5'11", SG)
13) Charles Waters (?, ?)
14) Jason Castro (5'8", PG)*

* There are supposed to be 18 draftees, but I can only identify 14. Gad knows who those other 4 are.

* This year's draft are kinda shallow, since most of the local college stars stayed away from it. Lots of unknowns, or projected role players.

* I put an asterisk (*) on projected players I feel are worth drafting, and there are only 7 by my count.

* Some of those unknowns could pull a surprise, though. Then again, they might not. I don't expect a lot of players to be drafted, most will likely end up in the free agent market.

can i ask bakit nasali c dillinger. akala ko he has to play for pbl or anu ba yung rules mag apply para sa kanya who grew up in the states??

Schortsanitis
07-23-2008, 09:04 PM
can i ask bakit nasali c dillinger. akala ko he has to play for pbl or anu ba yung rules mag apply para sa kanya who grew up in the states??

'Ang inisip kasi nila, by the time mag draft na, e, nakapag 25 games minimum requirement na si Dillinger dito sa Pinas.'

sa_pula
07-24-2008, 11:34 AM
Hindi pa ba magpapadraft si arao?may injury daw sya?...sayang pwede pa naman sana sya sa ginebra as 10th pick (via RB)..

Schortsanitis
07-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Hindi pa ba magpapadraft si arao?may injury daw sya?...sayang pwede pa naman sana sya sa ginebra as 10th pick (via RB)..

With his poor performance in the PBL, I think Ford's stock has been pretty low. Low enough, that he might not have ended up being drafted if he joined the draft this year.

amdgc82
07-25-2008, 06:55 AM
July 25, 2008 08:43 PM Friday* *
Wang’s players join PBA draft*
www.journal.com.ph

FOUR* mainstays* of* *the* multi-tilted Wang’s Ballclub have* *applied* for* this* year’s* Philippine Basketball Associaiton* (PBA)* annual draft* to* be* held* on* Aug. 31 at* the Market* *Market Place in Taguig City.
The* four --* Mark Anthony Cuevas, Adrew* Catigan, Ryan Regalado and* Diomar Facun --* *will* be* *represented* *by* *businessman-sportsman* Alex* Wang and* coach* Loreto* “Ato” Tolentino.
“The* four* players* are* now capable of* playing in the big league,” said* Tolentino, who averaged 15.7* points in five seasons* for* Presto* Ice* Cream in the* PBA from* 1975 to 1979.
Cuevas,* a* 6-6* *Filipino-American* *center,* *played* college ball at the* Los* *Angeles County College.
The power-playing,* slam- dunking Cuevas, who can also play* power* forward,* *is* the* *son of* *former* *MMICAA player Eddie Cuevas, whose* family migrated to* the United States in* the early* 90s.
Catigan, a 5-11, guard who was* born in* Cavite City but was* raised* in Vancouver, Canada was once* named* *Most Valuable Player in the* PBL-Vancouver in 2005.
Drew, as* he* is* commonly called, was also named play-off MVP in the 2006.

Born to Alexander Catigan and Adora Bartolome in 1984,* *Catigan* was* called* *“the* Slasher” and* the* “Finisher” while playing in Langara College.
Regalado,* a 5-10 shooting guard,* is* a* *member of multi-titled* *University of Manila Hawks which* dominated the first five years of* the* National Athletic Association of* *Schools, Colleges and University (NAASCU) from* 2001 to 2005.
Regalado,* the* *pride* *of* Virac, Catanduanes, also named Most Valuable Player in* the* NAASCU in 2005.
Facun, a 6-8 beanpole from Tarlac City,* is* also a member of UM champion* team.
All four* players are* * currently being* *trained* under* the supervision of* Tolentino and Wang. They are also key* members of the* Wang’s Ballclub competing in* various commercial leagues.*

thadzonline
07-25-2008, 12:48 PM
wow, it's the first time i heard of that 6'8 Facun...hmm, could he be just 6'6 and then they padded it? Or is he that mediocre that he had to wait a while to get the chance for the PBA draft. after all, 6'8 guys hardly come along

The_Big_Cat
07-25-2008, 12:53 PM
^^It will be interesting how these 3 new applicants will fare in the draft camp.

full battle gear
07-31-2008, 09:35 AM
Norwood awaits PBA’s verdict
By Joaquin Henson
Thursday, July 31, 2008
www.philstar.com

It’s still not certain if Gabe Norwood will be declared eligible for the PBA draft on Aug. 31 even as Justice Secretary Raul Gonzalez has affirmed his right to Filipino citizenship under a 1973 Constitution provision.

Norwood is now in the US waiting for the decision on his eligibility by the PBA Board of Governors. His local representative Mark Chan said he plans to fly in two weeks before the PBA draft if the Board clears his eligibility.

Last Friday, Chan submitted to the PBA a four-page memorandum signed by Gonzalez and addressed to Foreign Affairs Secretary Alberto Romulo explaining why Norwood has a rightful claim to Filipino citizenship.

Gonzalez’ memorandum triggered the issuance of a Philippine passport to Norwood which he used to represent the country as a national cager at the FIBA-Asia Championships in Tokushima and the Southeast Asian Games in Bangkok last year.

PBA executive director Rickie Santos said the memorandum was forwarded by commissioner Sonny Barrios to league lawyers for review before making a recommendation to the Board.

“I was told that the PBA reserves the right to confirm or deny a draft applicant’s eligibility,” said Chan. “Right now, Gabe’s case is up in the air.”

Chan said he sought Games and Amusements Board chairman Eric Buhain’s counsel and was advised to pursue the case with the PBA on the strength of Gonzalez’ endorsement.

“An option was to get a Presidential Executive Order from Malacañang like Alex Crisano,” said Chan. “But we were informed Crisano’s case is different because he had already played in the PBA and all the PBA needed was a reconfirmation.”

Chan turned in Gonzalez’ memorandum as a document of proof to beat the July 25 deadline the PBA set for submission of papers. The PBA is requiring original copies of birth certificates of Fil-foreign draft applicants and their parents to be given by Aug. 29.

Chan said Norwood’s priority is to play in the PBA. He has offers to play in the National Basketball Development League, which is the NBA’s farm system, the National Basketball League in Australia and the French league. But Norwood is holding out for the opportunity to play in the PBA.

“Gabe is excited to play in the PBA,” said Chan. “He loves the Filipino fans and he considers it an honor to play for the country. He thinks if he plays elsewhere, it will be difficult to rejoin the national team because of conflict in schedules, distance and contract obligations.”

Norwood, 23, was born in North Carolina. He traces his Filipino roots to his maternal grandmother Francine Dora Viloria. Gonzalez said his mother Tiffiney Sainte Hardy is considered a Filipino national under the 1935 Constitution.

Gonzalez pointed out that Norwood’s mother was only 18 when he was born.

“Being a minor who had no chance to elect Philippine citizenship, Tiffiney should be treated as having enjoyed dual citizenship at the time (of Norwood’s birth),” said Gonzalez. “Having been born in the US, she is an American under the jus soli principle. At the same time, she is a Filipino citizen under the jus sanguinis principle as her mother appears to have retained her Philippine citizenship despite her marriage to an (African-American).”

Gonzalez said because Norwood was born to a Filipino mother, he gained the right to Philippine citizenship under Section 1(2) of Article III of the 1973 Constitution declaring as Philippine citizens “those whose fathers or mothers are citizens of the Philippines” at the time of their birth.

Gonzalez said Norwood has the right to be issued a Philippine passport in accordance with Section 5 of Republic Act No. 8239.

“Norwood’s case is a no-brainer,” said a source. “He has played twice for the Philippine team. He paid his dues in the PBL and acquitted himself admirably. He holds a Philippine passport. Surely, he is eligible to apply for the PBA draft as a Filipino citizen. It would be a denial of his human right if he is declared ineligible because after all, he is a Filipino citizen as affirmed by the Department of Justice.”

thadzonline
07-31-2008, 09:48 AM
“Being a minor who had no chance to elect Philippine citizenship, Tiffiney should be treated as having enjoyed dual citizenship at the time (of Norwood’s birth),” said Gonzalez. “Having been born in the US, she is an American under the jus soli principle. At the same time, she is a Filipino citizen under the jus sanguinis principle as her mother appears to have retained her Philippine citizenship despite her marriage to an (African-American).”

is this based on an assumption or an established fact? I believe the US authorities(Naturalization and Immigration Service ba yon?) have records of whether Francine Dora Viloria was still indeed a Filipina at the time of Tiffiney's birth, we should request for access to such records. That way we can clearly establish whether Gabe can be considered natural born.

I too would like to believe he qualifies, but let us also be careful as this case will have implications later on.

The_Big_Cat
07-31-2008, 12:00 PM
Let Gabe Norwood play in the PBA.

paul0220
07-31-2008, 01:14 PM

is this based on an assumption or an established fact? I believe the US authorities(Naturalization and Immigration Service ba yon?) have records of whether Francine Dora Viloria was still indeed a Filipina at the time of Tiffiney's birth, we should request for access to such records. That way we can clearly establish whether Gabe can be considered natural born.

I too would like to believe he qualifies, but let us also be careful as this case will have implications later on.

Since the opinion came from the DOJ it can be construed as based on jurisprudence and not on assumptions. If anybody has any adverse opinion on the matter it can be raised in any competent court of the Philippines.

thadzonline
07-31-2008, 01:45 PM
perhaps they could have been more careful with the choice of words(note the words I boldfaced) ;D

I don't wanna start another politically-charged thread so I reserve my comments for the DOJ and you know who :P

freak
08-01-2008, 03:29 AM
“Norwood’s case is a no-brainer,” said a source. “He has played twice for the Philippine team. He paid his dues in the PBL and acquitted himself admirably. He holds a Philippine passport. Surely, he is eligible to apply for the PBA draft as a Filipino citizen. It would be a denial of his human right if he is declared ineligible because after all, he is a Filipino citizen as affirmed by the Department of Justice.”

Please correct me if I'm wrong but IIRC, only Filipino citizens are allowed to have a Philippine passport. If I'm correct, then Gabe should be allowed to play.

thadzonline
08-01-2008, 10:40 AM

Please correct me if I'm wrong but IIRC, only Filipino citizens are allowed to have a Philippine passport. If I'm correct, then Gabe should be allowed to play.

I suppose so, but both natural-born and naturalized citizens...So I think the issue here is whether he is natural-born or naturalized. I'm assuming PBA rules only allow natural-born citizens to play as locals in the league.

If the premise on letting Gabe play in comparison to the concessions given to Alex Crisano, come on, let Gabe play in the PBA. Compared to Alex Crisano who has had run-ins with the law, has an x-rated video and far from being the role model we are looking for, Gabe deserves to be treated better, he has been a model citizen, had served flag and country by donning the national colors, and has paid his dues in the PBL.

On the other hand, if only as an indication that the PBA has learned from its past, I am for making sure that he really qualifies as a natural-born citizen technically. It will help him in the future as it will set aside with finality questions on his citizenship. It will also help the future national teams if in case he is really natural-born since we can still hire a naturalized citizen to plug up the hole in the middle. It will help the PBA because it will also set aside doubts that many of those playing in the league are actually impostors(yes, I believe there are still quite a few).

So, my opinion is to establish that her grandmother was still a Filipino citizen at the time of the birth of his mom. And if such is true, it is already established that at the time of Gabe's birth, his mom Tiffiney was barely 18 and was not in the age of majority and is therefore considered a dual citizen.

A-boy97
08-07-2008, 12:53 AM

With his poor performance in the PBL, I think Ford's stock has been pretty low.* Low enough, that he might not have ended up being drafted if he joined the draft this year.

Na-acl ulit si Ford Arao. Sad to say, that might be the end of his basketball career :( Sayang...

Joescoundrel
08-07-2008, 02:18 AM
wow, it's the first time i heard of that 6'8 Facun...hmm, could he be just 6'6 and then they padded it? Or is he that mediocre that he had to wait a while to get the chance for the PBA draft. after all, 6'8 guys hardly come along

I remember Yancy De Ocampo's former St Francis and Welcoat teammate Derick Canlas is taller than the 6'9" De Ocampo and yet Canlas never amounted to anything in the PBA. Canlas I believe is listed as 6'10" and can run up and down the court well enough. However he simply doesn't have the skills of De Ocampo and in fact was De Ocampo's career backup. Considering De Ocampo isn't even a dominating big man in the mold of say an Asi Taulava or even an in-his-prime Marlou Aquino, Canlas's mediocrity was an understatement.

I caught Diomar Facun in action a couple times as a UM Hawk quite some time ago and even a couple more times with Wang's and all I can say is that it wasn't even action - he was one of those guys who'd get maybe 15 minutes every other game and basically was a hold-the-fort type of player. He certainly was not in the same class as say UM legend Nelson Asaytono. He did look at least 6'6", and might actually make a good case for 6'8". But unless he pulled a major miracle over the last two or three years he won't have a PBA career. Not to mention Ato Tolentino - he of You Tube assault the players fame - is hardly known as a coach who produces PBA legends. Add to this the fact that Facun played for Wang's and not even the PBL says a lot as to his lack of any PBA-relevant basketball acumen.

sa_pula
08-07-2008, 10:32 AM

With his poor performance in the PBL, I think Ford's stock has been pretty low. Low enough, that he might not have ended up being drafted if he joined the draft this year.

Na-acl ulit si Ford Arao. Sad to say, that might be the end of his basketball career :( Sayang...

hindi pa naman siguro.makakabalik pa yan.bata pa naman si arao.may 1year pa sya para makarecover malay natin baka mas mahasa pa sya ng husto sa amateur.

Schortsanitis
08-07-2008, 10:43 AM
I really like Ford Arao's ability to create his own shots, at least with the Blue Eagles.

But the fact that it took him so long to get his bearings (he only blossomed on his last year with ADMU), and his subsequent poor performance in the PBL I think shows he has some adjustment issues with any new team he goes to, not a good thing for a professional player. I hope he gets over it though.

Sam Miguel
08-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Ford Arao should do himself a favor and get into the working world muna. He was no great shakes in the UAAP, even less so in the PBL, and will likely get eaten alive in the PBA. He does not have enough size, strength, speed or athletic ability to play the 5 and 4 slots in the PBA. He could of course try to get into intensive plyo training with Raul Banzon after he heals and recovers, and then we'll see.

coreytaylor
08-09-2008, 07:31 PM
‘Affirmed’ Norwood gives PBA draft depth
By Jasmine W. Payo, Philippine Daily Inquirer

MANILA, Philippines—The depth of the 2008 Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) rookie draft class is starting to shape up following the affirmation of Gabe Norwood’s Filipino citizenship and the entry of reigning NCAA Most Valuable Player Kelvin de la Peña and San Beda skipper Pong Escobal.

Justice Secretary Raul Gonzalez said on Wednesday that Norwood—the sensational Filipino-American who starred for the national team—could be considered a Filipino, as his mother Tiffiney Sainte Hardy was a minor when she gave birth to him in North Carolina, the Department of Justice told INQUIRER.net.

De la Peña, who averaged 15.7 points, 8.8 rebounds and 5.6 assists for Mapua to capture the top plum in 2007, submitted his application on Tuesday, while Escobal filed his papers last week, the PBA office said Friday.

Despite these developments, coaches gave varying opinions on this year’s freshman pool that also includes three-time PBL Most Valuable Player Jason Castro, Filipino-Americans Solomon Mercado and Jared Dillinger, University of the East’s Mark Borboran and De La Salle University’s TY Tang.

Red Bull coach Yeng Guiao thinks that if declared eligible by the PBA board, the slam-dunking 6-foot-5 Norwood can be the consensus No. 1 pick for the rookie draft set on Aug. 31 at Market! Market! mall in Taguig City.

Sta. Lucia Realty mentor Boyet Fernandez, however, thinks otherwise.

“As I look at the list of draftees, there are four players who can be the No. 1 pick depending on the need of the team,” said Fernandez.

Talk ‘N Text coach Chot Reyes, who coached Norwood in the national team, said there is no doubt in his mind the former George Mason star in the US NCAA will go No. 1.

“He’s the best all-around athlete and at 6-foot-5, he will be a tough match-up for any guard in the PBA,” said Reyes.

Norwood, however, has yet to submit his affirmation documents to the PBA.

Only Mercado, a former Philippine Basketball League Finals MVP, and San Mig Coffee’s Kevin Dalafu have completed the requirements for foreign players with Filipino roots, the PBA office said.

The PBA has extended the deadline for foreign hopefuls. Applicants should submit copies of their birth certificate by Aug. 15, immigration and justice department documents on Aug. 22, and all original papers on Aug. 29.

The_Big_Cat
08-09-2008, 07:59 PM
No brainer na ito.
Its going to be either Gabe Norwood or Jason Castro for the top pick.

joelex
08-10-2008, 01:03 AM
i think bon bon custodio is ripe for the pros now. wondering why he has yet to aplly for the draft.

same thing with beau belga.

nicksy
08-10-2008, 01:35 AM
i think bon bon custodio is ripe for the pros now. wondering why he has yet to aplly for the draft.

the way Belga is playing right now in the NCAA wars, I don't think he will be drafted. any team will think twice and trice on him.

cub
08-10-2008, 02:05 PM

the way Belga is playing right now in the NCAA wars, I don't think he will be drafted. any team will think twice and trice on him.

Belga will be drafted. mark my word. IMO, sumali lang sa NCAA yan para hindi kalawangin ang laro nya and to teach his teammates.

nicksy
08-10-2008, 09:01 PM

Belga will be drafted. mark my word. IMO, sumali lang sa NCAA yan para hindi kalawangin ang laro nya and to teach his teammates.

if Belga show his Stuff on the pre Draft Camp, it will be the other way around, but the way he plays in the NCAA will affect his bid to the pros.

amdgc82
08-11-2008, 07:54 AM
Norwood still 'missing'
from draft list
BY NOLI CORTEZ
www.malaya.com.ph

THERE is no question Gabe Norwood will be the No. 1 pick overall in the coming PBA Rookie Draft.

The only problem is: Will he be eligible?

As of yesterday, the 6-foot-5 guard Fil-American was still missing from the list of players eligible to join the proceedings set on Aug. 31 at the Market! Market! pending his submission of a certification from the Immigration Bureau and a confirmation from the Justice Department.

"Unless we have received his BID and DOJ papers, we cannot consider him eligible to join the draft," said PBA Commissioner Sonny Barrios.

Not even the fact the former George Mason U standout is a Philippine passport holder and has already played for the national team in the FIBA-Asia championship and SEA Games last year can sway the PBA.

"A Philippine passport is not the be-all and end-all piece of document we require," explained Barrios. "He has to submit top us those documents from the BID and DoJ."

Norwood and four other Fil-foreign applicants have until noon of Aug. 29 to submit the requirements and be eligible to join the class of applicants, which as of yesterday stood at 38.

Among the Fil-foreign players who have applied for the draft, Only Solomon Mercado and Kevin Dalafu have submitted the necessary requirements. Aside from Norwood, also with incomplete papers are Jared Dillinger, Rob Reyes, Christopher Viardo and Charles Waters.

The Fil-foreign applicants have already been given a reprieve of sorts when the PBA moved the deadline for their submission of original or certified true copies of their birth certificates and their parents' marriage certificates to Aug. 29.

The original deadline for the Fil-foreigners' submission of the requirements was last July 8. Local players have until 5 p.m. tomorrow to submit their papers.

Among the 31 locals who have already applied are three-time PBL MVP Jason Castro, reigning NCAA MVP Kelvin dela Pena and PBL shooters Jonathan Fernandez and Patrick Cabahug.

But Norwood remains the biggest question mark.

Welcoat and TNT are the two teams bidding to pick first in the draft. A lottery to determine which team picks first was set to be held at halftime of Game 3 of the Ginebra-Air21 best-of-seven finals battle last night.

Already, however, former national tactician and current Talk N Text coach Chot Reyes said Norwood is "the best all-around athlete and at 6-foot-5 will be a tough match-up for any guard in the PBA."

The Dragons' co-owners, Perry Que and Raymund Yu, have also said they will go for Norwood if they pick first. But they are also keeping an eye out for Dillinger, a 6-foot-5 guard from the University of Hawaii.

Schortsanitis
08-11-2008, 08:46 AM
What bothers me about Gabe Norwood's case, is how come is it, that someone like Solomon Mercado and Kevin Dalafu had no such problems applying for the PBA draft, while Norwood is having so many problems? Take note, that I think Gabe has stayed longer in the country than Solomon or Kevin.

CM_Punk
08-12-2008, 08:09 AM
http://www.mb.com.ph/SPRT20080812132335.html

PBA Draft

Phone Pals optimistic

By WAYLON GALVEZ

Although Talk ’N Text failed in its bid to secure the No. 1 overall pick during the lottery the other day, there are other reasons why the Phone Pals should be optimistic in the coming PBA Rookie Draft as well as the coming conference.

Aside from picking second behind Welcoat Paints, which won the lottery for the top overall selection, TNT also owns the No. 4 pick of the Draft set Aug. 31 at the Market! Market! in Taguig City.

After Welcoat and TNT, Magnolia will pick at No. 3. The Beverage Masters also had the right for the No. 8 pick.

The Dragons, according to alternate representative to the PBA Board, Atty. Mamerto Mondragon, are seriously considering Gabe Norwood as its No. 1 pick.

But what concerns Welcoat owners Raymund Yu and Terry Que right now is the status of the 6-foot-5 Norwood.

While there were reports that the former PBL hotshot has already been affirmed by the Department of Justice, Norwood has yet to submit his legal papers to the league to make him eligible for the Draft.

In the event Norwood fails to make it, Yu and Que are inclined to pick Jared Dillinger.

The 6-foot-5 Dillinger, however, is also being eyed by TNT coach Chot Reyes.

"He’s a good player just like Norwood, so we are also interested in getting him," said Yu, who is hoping to land a good guard to boost the team’s backcourt rotation.

"Both Norwood and Dillinger are excellent guards, so anyone of them will be our pick," added Que.

Another bright prospect is three-time PBL MVP Jason Castro.

Castro will be playing for the Singapore Slingers in the coming Challenge Series in Singapore tentatively set next month.

TNT team manager Frankie Lim is playing wait-and-see as they are also interested in getting Norwood. If Welcoat picks Norwood, they will certainly settle for Dillinger.

Despite already having a potent squad, the Beverage Masters hope to make good use of their two picks in the first round. They are likely to pick a shooter in the mold of Jeff Chan and Jonathan Fernandez.

Air21, which is playing in the Smart-PBA Fiesta Cup Finals against Barangay Ginebra, will pick No. 5 if it wins the championship, No. 6 if it doesn’t.

Purefoods’ fate in the Draft also depends on Air21’s performance in the Finals.

If Alaska picks at No. 5, Red Bull selects at ninth and Philippine Cup champion Sta. Lucia Realty at No. 10.

Ginebra and Coca-Cola have no picks in the first round of the Draft.

Last year, Welcoat tabbed Joe de Vance as the top overall selection, ahead of Samigue Eman (Magnolia) and Ryan Reyes (SLR).

m_14
08-12-2008, 04:40 PM
can someone please post the names of the draft hopefuls??

Semenelin
08-12-2008, 04:49 PM
can someone please post the names of the draft hopefuls??

the list of applicants came out and it will only change if the fil-ams do not submit the necessary requirements on time.

joelex
08-16-2008, 01:23 PM
no updates yet on the final list of applicants?

Joescoundrel
08-19-2008, 12:45 AM
Harbour Centre's Fil-Am guard Solomon Mercado is headed for the PBA draft.

I wonder which team would be the best fit for Mercado? He's about 6-feet and maybe 175 pounds, strongly built, can take a good hit having also been a running back in football, can drive and slash very well, passes alright, not really your prototypical pointguard but knows how to run a team.

Barangay Ginebra or Purefoods?

coreytaylor
08-19-2008, 09:08 AM
^^ mababangko lang siya sa BG & purefoods

Joescoundrel
08-19-2008, 09:53 AM
^ So where would his best fit in the PBA be?

Coca Cola, as backup to Alex Cabagnot?

Talk N Text, as backup to Jim Alapag and replacement for Felix Belano?

Alaska, as backup / alternate to LA Tenorio?

The_Big_Cat
08-19-2008, 10:07 AM
^^ mababangko lang siya sa BG & purefoods

Ginebra has already Helterbrand, Artadi, Pacana and Escalona at the point. Loaded na.
Purefoods has Roger Yap and Chico Lanete. Pwede pa si Mercado dito sa Purefoods.

King_stag
08-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Harbour Centre's Fil-Am guard Solomon Mercado is headed for the PBA draft.

I wonder which team would be the best fit for Mercado? He's about 6-feet and maybe 175 pounds, strongly built, can take a good hit having also been a running back in football, can drive and slash very well, passes alright, not really your prototypical pointguard but knows how to run a team.

Barangay Ginebra or Purefoods?

If he's available late in the first round i think he is a good fit for red bull. He can defend and score. this gives red bull another scoring option at the PG spot

coreytaylor
08-19-2008, 12:28 PM

Coca Cola, as backup to Alex Cabagnot?

Talk N Text, as backup to Jim Alapag and replacement for Felix Belano?

Alaska, as backup / alternate to LA Tenorio? they got jeff...

none of the 3 teams. best answer: sa welcoat! but, he will no longer be available in the 2nd round. soo ayun, bangko lang siya kahit saang team! alam naman natin that all teams in the pba are loaded except welcoat who has a lot of insignificant players..and no, he isn't just a pg..

The_Big_Cat
08-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Talk N' Text is looking for a solid shooting forward in either Jared Dillinger or Mark Borboran.

bchoter
08-19-2008, 04:57 PM
Solomon's style of play fits Red Bull. The trio of Coronel, Robinson and the other smallish guard are not that solid and one more won't hurt although I feel Solomon is more comfortable as a shooting guard.

john_paul_manahan
08-19-2008, 05:26 PM
at si coach yeng, he'll figure out a way to maximize the lineup.

stonecold316
08-19-2008, 10:37 PM
Hindi ganun ka deep ang 2008 PBA draft. Pero gusto ko si solomon, mahusay na player.

Sam Miguel
08-20-2008, 02:49 AM
Talk N' Text is looking for a solid shooting forward in either Jared Dillinger or Mark Borboran.

If these are the TNT choices they'll likely go for the guy who comes form their B Team ...

coreytaylor
08-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Solomon's style of play fits Red Bull. The trio of Coronel, Robinson and the other smallish guard are not that solid and one more won't hurt although I feel Solomon is more comfortable as a shooting guard.

diba SLR si coronel?

King_stag
08-20-2008, 03:50 PM

diba SLR si coronel?

yep. christian "baba" coronel plays for SLR. Back to the topic, drafting sol wil give redbull flexibility in their guard rotation. I think they should give up warren ybanez.

Mateen Cleaves
08-20-2008, 04:08 PM

Kung sa katawan lang -- Air 21. Hindi ba mukhang puede maging heir apparent ni Boss Wynne?

The_Big_Cat
08-20-2008, 04:09 PM
Topex Robinson is already 34 years while Warren Ibanez is inconsistent.
Don't be surprised if Red Bull picks a guard in the upcoming draft.
By the time Red Bull picks wala na siguro sila Gabe, Jason at Sol

Ang anak ni Andy Jao (Red Bull manager) at si TY Tang ay HS classmates in Xavier.
Don't be surprised if Red Bull picks TY T@ng.

coreytaylor
08-20-2008, 04:12 PM

whattt?? topex is already 34y.o.?? :o
mukha pa kasing 18y.o. ;D

ty tang would be perfect for red bull.

The_Big_Cat
08-20-2008, 04:18 PM

whattt?? topex is already 34y.o.??* :o
mukha pa kasing 18y.o.* ;D

ty t@ng would be perfect for red bull.

Yes he is. Mas matanda lang ako ng kaunti sa kanya. :D

As for Air21, they have 3 players Santos, Canaleta and Intal sharing the same position but not enough playing time for each. Maybe trade away one of those in exchange for another draft pick?

cub
08-20-2008, 04:30 PM

diba SLR si coronel?

yep. christian "baba" coronel plays for SLR. Back to the topic, drafting sol wil give redbull flexibility in their guard rotation. I think they should give up warren ybanez.

give up warren ybanez and draft either Tang or Cholo. :)

King_stag
08-20-2008, 04:51 PM

diba SLR si coronel?

give up warren ybanez and draft either t@ng or Cholo. :)

Tang is good option. Cholo is quite a long shot, RB still has baguio(if he wont be a redbull giveaway), juntilla, and adriano at the 2 spot. I can sense that RB will trade players to move up in the draft. they need another wide body in the middle.

bchoter
08-20-2008, 05:04 PM
^ Trade Cyrus Baguio away middle-tier big man + cash? And then find a way to get JC Intal in preparation for Jojo Duncil's exit?

cub
08-20-2008, 11:26 PM
KS, as we all know, Cholo can play the point. he's a combo guard. and IIRC, he played the point back in high school.

amdgc82
08-21-2008, 07:06 AM
August 21, 2008 08:02 PM Thursday*
Two-day PBA Rookie camp set*
www.journal.com.ph

PROSPECTSIVE talents in the 2008 PBA Annual Draft get to display their abilities and skills as the league holds the traditional Rookie Camp on August 22-23 at the Emilio Aguinaldo College gym.
All 47 applicants who made themselves available for the August 31 Draft at the Market Market Place in Taguig are required to undergo the two-day activity that showcases both the physical and mental capabilities of the players.
Rookie prospects will go through a series of physical test first thing in the morning of Friday (10 a,m to 12 noon) that includes doing push ups, sprints, sit ups, bench press, pull ups and parallel bars, aside from having their height, weight, wing span and vertical leap being measured.
In the afternoon (1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m.), applicants will be grouped into two (big and small) and will be doing several drills demonstrating their agility (shuttle with passes), shooting (off a screen �" flare screen and ball screen for small players and 1 minute back to the basket/ 1 minute elbow to elbow for the big ones) and dribbling skills (in-out, quick handle, inside) between the legs, behind the back, step back 2 combination, 3 combination, shuffle).
Players are also going through a sequence of drills on fastbreak (2 vs. 1/ 1 vs. 2 / 3 vs. 2/ 2 vs. 3), including 2 man fastbreak (2 vs. 2) and 3 man fastbreak (3 vs. 3).
The big men likewise will be made to play 1 on 1 low post defense and 1 on 1 low post offense (dribble slide, up and under, one dribble pivot, drop step combination).
Capping the opening day is a two-part scrimmage where rookie prospects will be divided into four groups. Group 1 takes on Group 4 from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. while Group 2 plays Group 3 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
“We hope all rookie applicants will take part in this camp since this is their chance to give all 10 teams a glimpse of the kind of players that they are,” said PBA commissioner Renauld* ‘Sonny’ Barrios.
Activity in Day 2 also at the EAC gym is more confined on scrimmage plays beginning with the game between Group 1 and Group 2 from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. and Group 3 vs. Group 4 from 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
The 2008 batch of rookies boast of at least seven Fil-foreign bred players including national team standout Gabe Norwood and Harbour Centre’s deadly guard Solomon Mercado, and a bunch of amateur stalwarts such as two-time Philippine Basketball League (PBL) Most Valuable Player (MVP) Jeffrey Chan, TY Tang, Mark Borboran, Cholo Villanueva, NCAA MVP Kelvin dela Pena and shooters Jonathan Fernandez and Patrick Cabahug.
The final list will be known on August 25, shortly after the PBA Commissioner’s Office completed screening the needed requirements of all aspirants.
The Welcoat Dragons own the no. 1 pick for the second straight year, followed by Talk ‘N Text at no. 2 and Magnolia at no. 3.

Semenelin
08-21-2008, 08:54 AM
^ erm... mali ata yun "bunch of amateur stalwarts such as two-time Philippine Basketball League (PBL) Most Valuable Player (MVP) Jeffrey Chan" si Castro yun d b?

thadzonline
08-21-2008, 09:36 AM
KS, as we all know, Cholo can play the point. he's a combo guard. and IIRC, he played the point back in high school.

I saw Cholo play point for Toyota Otis in the Sinulog Cup sa Cebu earlier this year and in my assessment, masyado siyang kabado, madaling mataranta. I really dont think he'll be a decent point guard in the big league.

joelex
08-21-2008, 09:47 AM
nag apply ba si bon custodio saka si beau belga? larry rodriguez, chito jaime, ronnie matias? hinog na hinog na sila i believe for the pros

myktristan
08-21-2008, 10:00 AM
PBA rookie camp set at EAC gym
http://www.malaya.com.ph/aug21/spor5.htm

PLAYERS in the 2008 PBA Annual Draft get to display their abilities and skills when the league holds its traditional Rookie Camp on Aug. 22-23 at the Emilio Aguinaldo College gym.

All 47 applicants who applied for the Aug. 31 Draft at the Market Market Place in Taguig are required to go through the two-day activity that showcases their physical and mental prowess.

Rookie prospects will go through a series of physical tests on Friday morning that includes doing push ups, sprints, sit ups, bench press, pull ups and parallel bars, aside from having their height, weight, wing span and vertical leap being measured.

In the afternoon, applicants will be grouped into two (big and small) and will be required to go through several drills demonstrating their agility, shooting, and dribbling skills, plus fastbreak plays.

"We hope all rookie applicants will take part in this camp since this is their chance to give all 10 teams a glimpse of the kind of players that they are," said PBA Commissioner Sonny Barrios.

Activity in Day 2 also at the EAC gym is confined to scrimmage.

The 2008 batch of rookies boast at least seven Fil-foreign bred players, including national team standout Gabe Norwood and Harbour Centre's deadly guard Solomon Mercado, and a bunch of amateur stalwarts such as two-time Philippine Basketball League Most Valuable Player Jeffrey Chan, TY Tang, Mark Borboran, Cholo Villanueva, NCAA MVP Kelvin dela Pena and shooters Jonathan Fernandez and Patrick Cabahug.

The final list will be known on Aug. 25, shortly after the PBA Commissioner's Office has completed screening the requirements submitted by all aspirants.

The Welcoat Dragons own the No. 1 pick for the second straight year, followed by Talk N Text at No. 2 and Magnolia at No. 3.

The_Big_Cat
08-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Cholo Villanueva and Kelvin Dela Pena could make a good backup shooting guard after Gary David in Air21.

amdgc82
08-21-2008, 07:01 PM
www.gmanews.tv
It’s a go for Fil-Am Norwood in PBA Draft
08/21/2008 | 06:35 PM

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) Thursday decided to take a soft stand against Filipino-American Gabe Norwood, allowing him to take part in the August 31 Annual Draft.

Commissioner Renauld “Sonny" Barrios, soon after the league’s board meeting Thursday at the PBA office, made the stunning decision only weeks after he himself said that Norwood isn’t still eligible for the PBA Draft because of documents he has yet to submit to the PBA.

Barrios said that Norwood being part of the national team and holder of a Philippine passport were enough reasons to allow him to join the PBA.

“Because of that, and the fact that he was given a Philippine Passport that allowed him to play for the national team, I asked the PBA board to waive several documents Norwood was supposed to submit," Barrios said.

Barrios brought the topic to the Board members, who approved the proposal.

The PBA chief decided to waive special documents Norwood should submit – his birth certificate and the marriage contract of his parents.

The PBA chief, however, remains firm that Norwood would still have to submit his affirmation papers coming from the Department of Justice and a certificate from the Bureau of Immigration before the August 29 deadline for Fil-foreign players.

Norwood, an expected No. 1 pick in the upcoming draft, has by far only submitted a photo copy of a DoJ document that he is a Filipino citizen. That document was signed by Secretary Raul Gonzalez.

“Without the DoJ and BID papers, he would still be ineligible to join the Draft," said Barrios.

Norwood, who is expected to be picked by Welcoat, played for the national team in the Tokushima, Japan FIBA Asia Qualifying championships last year and in the Southeast Asian Games in Thailand. – GMANews.TV

trigun_08
08-21-2008, 07:08 PM
www.gmanews.tv

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) Thursday decided to take a soft stand against Filipino-American Gabe Norwood, allowing him to take part in the August 31 Annual Draft.

Commissioner Renauld “Sonny" Barrios, soon after the league’s board meeting Thursday at the PBA office, made the stunning decision only weeks after he himself said that Norwood isn’t still eligible for the PBA Draft because of documents he has yet to submit to the PBA.

Barrios said that Norwood being part of the national team and holder of a Philippine passport were enough reasons to allow him to join the PBA.

“Because of that, and the fact that he was given a Philippine Passport that allowed him to play for the national team, I asked the PBA board to waive several documents Norwood was supposed to submit," Barrios said.

The PBA chief decided to waive special documents Norwood should submit – his birth certificate and the marriage contract of his parents.

The PBA chief, however, remains firm that Norwood would still have to submit his affirmation papers coming from the Department of Justice and a certificate from the Bureau of Immigration before the August 29 deadline for Fil-foreign players.

Norwood, an expected No. 1 pick in the upcoming draft, has by far only submitted a photo copy of a DoJ document that he is a Filipino citizen. That document was signed by Secretary Raul Gonzalez.

“Without the DoJ and BID papers, he would still be ineligible to join the Draft," said Barrios.

Norwood, who is expected to be picked by Welcoat, played for the national team in the Tokushima, Japan FIBA Asia Qualifying championships last year and in the Southeast Asian Games in Thailand. – GMANews.TV

nice one sir sonny, hope rob reyes can get his clearance 2....... go gabe

tigerman
08-21-2008, 08:12 PM
Cholo Villanueva and Kelvin Dela Pena could make a good backup shooting guard after Gary David in Air21.

Personally, I see the two more of a combo guard.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

m_14
08-21-2008, 10:39 PM
full list of applicants please??

thadzonline
08-22-2008, 09:22 AM
www.gmanews.tv

well in fact redundant na ang requirement na yan because anyway, the DOJ and the BID I believe will still be asking for those documents anyway. So I think, this is really of little value

myktristan
08-22-2008, 10:07 AM
PBA takes it easy on Norwood
http://www.journal.com.ph/index.php?issue=2008-08-22&sec=7&aid=70703

THE Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) yesterday decided to take a soft stand against Fil-American Gabe Norwood, allowing him to take part in the Aug. 31 Annual Draft.

Commissioner Renauld ‘Sonny’ Barrios, soon after the league’s board meeting yesterday at the PBA office, bared this stunning decision only weeks after he himself said that Norwood isn’t still eligible for the Draft because of documents he has yet to submit to the PBA.

“Because of that, and the fact that he was given a Philippine Passport that allowed him to play for the national team, I asked the PBA board to waive several documents Norwood is suppose to submit,” Barrios said.

Barrios brought the topic to the Board members, who approved of the proposal.

The PBA chief, however, remains firm that Norwood would still have to submit his affirmation papers coming from the Department of Justice and a certificate from the Bureau of Immigration before the Aug. 29 deadline for Fil-foreign players.

pachador
08-22-2008, 03:17 PM
how about fil-am 6'6" Rob Reyes ? he applied in this year's draft but the PBA is also giving him a hard time.

thadzonline
08-22-2008, 03:44 PM
actually this news only saved Norwood photocopying expenses because according to Rob, the DOJ and the BID will still ask for one' birth certificate and the marriage contract of parents(Im assuming this is in case the parents are married) before they can issue the certification. So in effect, the PBA only waived its requirement for that additional photocopy..

stonecold316
08-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Tsk, tsk. Poor Gabe Norwood. Sobrang higpit na rin kasi ng DOJ at ng Bi when it comes to the requirements in order for one to play in the PBA. Pag nagkataon, baka next year na siya ma draft.

gameface_one
08-23-2008, 06:32 AM
Mercado, Reyes impress in Rookie Camp
abs-cbnnews.com

Fil-Am players Sol Mercado and Rob Reyes made a big impact during the first of the two-day PBA Rookie Camp yesterday at the Emilio Aguinaldo College gym in Manila.

The 6-foot Mercado, who played a key role in Harbour Centre’s last two championships in the PBL, wowed the crowd that included assistant coaches Alex Compton (Rain or Shine) and Virgil Villavicencio with his speed, quickness and steady shooting.

The 6-foot-5 Reyes, who was part of Harbour Centre team that won the first of its five titles in the country’s premier amateur basketball league, also made an impression along with fellow big man Jared Dillinger.

Other Fil-Am players who showed up were Kevin Dalafu, Christopher Viardo and Michael Waters.

The annual draft is scheduled on Aug. 31 at the Market! Market! Activity Center in Taguig City.

Noticeably absent at the session intended to showcase the skills and strength of the rookies was Gabe Norwood, a probable No.1 pick.

The former national team member and slam dunk artist is reportedly in the US but his agent Michael Chan reportedly said Norwoods’ certificate of recognition and affirmation from the Department of Justice was to be submitted to the PBA Office before the 5 p.m. deadline yesterday.

Among the candidates, Lawrence Bonus, who played for Burger King in the PBL, turned out to be the tallest among Batch 2008 at 6-foot-6.

Reyes, who could be netted in the first round in next week’s proceedings, was measured with the longest wingspan at 201 cm while Mercado submitted the fastest time in the 60-meter sprint run with a time of 7.97 seconds.

Michael Alexander Dizon, who played for various teams in the PBL, recorded the highest vertical leap of 11 feet and 3 inches and made the most push ups with 73.

Aside from the strength and agility tests, the rookies also underwent shooting and dribbling drills before displaying their skills in the afternoon scrimmage.

The two-day rookie camp winds up today at the EAC with a two-game schedule starting at 1:30 p.m.

The PBA Commissioner’s Office will release the official list of candidates for the Annual Draft on Monday.

Rain or Shine, formerly Welcoat Paints, owns the No. 1 pick followed by Talk N Text and Magnolia. Completing the drafting order are TNT (4), Alaska (5), Air21 (6), Purefoods (7), Air21 (8), Barangay Ginebra (9) and Sta. Lucia Realty (10).

Meantime, Anthony Jay Washington remains in the dark whether he will be re-signed by Talk ‘N Text or not.

TNT team manager Frankie Lim said they have yet to discuss the status of the 6-foot-6 Washington in the team although they have already re-signed several star players including Jimmy Alapag, Mark Cardona, Harvey Carey and Ali Peek.

The contract of Washington expired last week but many believe he’s on the way out. —Waylon Galvez

amdgc82
08-24-2008, 06:34 AM
Norwood finds an ally in Danding
Rey Joble
www.manilastandardtoday.com

GABE Norwood, the highly touted Fil-Am tipped to become the top overall pick in this year’s PBA Draft, has found a formidable ally in San Miguel Corp. chairman and basketball godfather Danding Cojuangco.

An unimpeachable source from the Philippine Basketball Association told Standard Today that Cojuangco gave importance to the sacrifice made by Norwood when he represented the Philippine Team that competed in the Fiba Asia Championship in Tokushima, Japan and other Asian tournaments. He also mentioned that the former George Mason University standout is a Philippine passport holder, which is enough to make him eligible for the draft.

“Boss Danding called up Commissioner Barrios during the board meeting and mentioned na payagan na makapasok si Norwood. Although hindi naman daw sa kanila mapupunta si Norwood, his entry would definitely be good for the league. He also suggested that the team which will get Norwood must give a no trade clause to make sure na hindi lang basta gagawing negosyo yung pagkuha sa player,” said the source.

“Kung pwede nga daw na bigyan ng no trade clause na up to 10 years, much better. In Boss Danding’s opinion, Norwood is eligible to play.”

joelex
08-24-2008, 10:40 AM
Bon Custodio was very impressive in the camp and might earn himself at least a mid first rnd selection.

time1513
08-24-2008, 06:36 PM
does anyone have a complete list of the 48 applicants? hehehe

King_stag
08-25-2008, 07:39 PM
^ Trade Cyrus Baguio away middle-tier big man + cash? And then find a way to get JC Intal in preparation for Jojo Duncil's exit?

Sign Anthony Washington, RB needs an athletic Big and he's a perfect fit. Then Trade up in the draft and give up baguio who is rumored that he wants out. Draft Sol Mercado and a Wide body to fill the front. Leo Najorda and J wash will play 3 and 4 respectively. They were quite effective during their stint in welcoat. RB need a fresh start

sa_pula
08-25-2008, 08:20 PM
*Mark Borboran
*Tyrone T ang
*Jeffrei Chan
*Kelvin Gregorio
*Jonathan Fernandez
*Pocholo Villanueva
Kevin Dalafu
Ryan Regalado
Mark Cuevas
Andrew Catigan
Diomar Facun
*Jared Dillinger
*Robert Reyes
*Solomon Mercado
Christopher Viardo
*Gabriel Norwood
Michael Dizon
Charles Waters
Ismael Junio
*Patrick Cabahug
Unik Reyes
*Angelus Raymundo
*John Escobal
Eian Yu
*Larry Rodriguez
*Dennis Concha
Franklyn Nailon
*Jason Castro
Michael Gonzales
*Mark Yee
Rene Cunanan
*Bonifacio Custodio
*Eder Saldua
*Nestor David Jr.
*Lawrence Bonus
*Earn Saguindel
*Kelvin dela Peña
Nizar Kiram
Ferdinand Melocoton
Juan Abad
*Christian Cabatu
*Nathaniel Cruz

nakuha ko lang sa pba.ph 43 lang yan sabi kasi 49, wala si ARAO sayang..hindi ko alam kung sino pa yung nawawala...

eto tingin ko makukuha para sa 1st round.

1. Gabe Norwood--Rain or shine
2.TNT--Dillinger (pero pwede pa magbago baka kasi na sa Psywar lang TNT para maagaw nila si norwood sa welcoat)
3. SMB--Jason Castro--may nabasa akong article na gusto syang kunin ng SMB (balik SMb na sila next confy)
4. TNT--R. Reyes or Escobal ( Reyes kasi need talaga nila bigman miss na nila si Asi kaya siguro alanganin si j.wash or Escobal kasi need din nila ng piontguard kapalitan ni Alapag).
5.Alaska--Sol MErcado (fiL-am kasi ;D good backup kay miller).
6Air21--Custodio or Dela pena (custodio backup kay david or Dela pena back up kay arboleda)
7. PoorFoods--Ty Tang or Borboran ( itrade na nila si Roger "sundotpwet"Yap,mas kelangan nila ng purepoint guard 2 na kasi combo guard nila.)
8.SmB via Air21--Chan or Fernandez ( baka lang kasi may rumor na ittrade si dondon at tugade pwede ding itrade na lang nila tong pick na to. )
9.Ginebra/RB (magulo tong pick nato hindi ko alam kanino sa dalawa)--cllaiford ARAO, kapag wala sya si Gregorio or Rodriguez
10. SLR--Arao (para sa future nila kasi tatanda na ng 2 bigman nila. )

myktristan
08-25-2008, 09:15 PM
SMB likely to pick Castro
by Rey Joble
http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?page=sports3_aug25_2008

JASON Castro is expected to become the most sought-after point guard in the coming PBA Draft.

And San Miguel Beer, a team that needs to shore up its backcourt, looms as the most interested.

With Olsen Racela most likely to retire in the near future, Castro would definitely become a welcome addition to the squad.

Racela is one of the PBA’s elder statesmen. His contract expired last Aug. 15 and has yet to be given a contract renewal. SMB has Mike Cortez as its premier quarterback and Jonas Villanueva as the third- string guard.

The 5-foot-10 Castro was signed up by the Singapore Slingers, who later on pulled out of the National Basketball League in Australia. His agent, Danny Espiritu, is reportedly working on a possible buyout of his contract that would last until February of 2009.

“San Miguel is very interested in Castro because the team is preparing for its future,” said a team insider, who requested anonymity. “Olsen might be only good for a year or two and might end up joining the coaching staff in the near future. The team is also loaded on the wing spots, so Castro looms as the ideal pick.”

San Miguel coach Siot Tanquingcen refused to make comments whether he is keen on selecting Castro. But he was impressed by the former national player’s potential.

time1513
08-25-2008, 10:11 PM
5.Alaska--Sol MErcado (fiL-am kasi ;D good backup kay miller).

FROM WHAT IVE HEARD, ALASKA WANTS A BIG MAN! i dont think they want a fil-am na daw.

amdgc82
08-27-2008, 06:59 AM
‘Special treatment’ for top two?
By Joel Orellana
Reporter
www.businessmirror.com.ph
WITH five days left before the annual Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) Rookie Draft, two players who are projected to go 1-2 have yet to submit the required papers to be able to join the activity this Sunday at the Market! Market! Mall in Taguig City.

Filipino-American Gabe Norwood and half-Pinoy, half-German Jared Dillinger have yet to comply with the requirements set by the PBA despite the extension given by the league.

This has raised doubts if these foreign-born players really have the papers to prove their Filipino lineage.

“I don’t know why they are taking that long to secure their papers. If they have really Filipino blood, then why are they having a hard time to complete the requirements?” a source privy to the issue told the BusinessMirror.

“The PBA has given them extension to submit their papers, which is unfair to other Fil-foreign players who worked hard to comply and beat their deadline. Ang nangyayari tuloy, parang may special treatment na nangyayari,” added the source, who asked that he not be named owing to his relationship with one of the potential draftees.

Originally, the PBA had set a July 8 deadline to submit the photocopied papers of the Fil-foreigner applicants. It was moved to August 15 but up to now, Norwood and Dillinger have yet to meet the requirements.

Before leaving yesterday for a board meeting in Macau, PBA commissioner Sonny Barrios said they are giving all the Fil-foreign applicants up to Friday to submit the authenticated or original copies of their required documents.*

Barrios already released a statement saying the board had agreed to give Norwood special considerations with his papers for playing on a Philippine team that was backed by the league.

Norwood needs only to submit the affirmation of his citizenship from the Department of Justice (DOJ) and the recognition papers from the Bureau of Immigration and Deportation (BID).

But even if the former George Mason University standout manages to secure those two requirements, the BusinessMirror source was questioning his absence from the Rookie Camp, which was a mandatory requirement for any aspirant.

“The PBA required all the applicants to attend the Rookie Camp. Norwood was not there,” the source said.

In the case of Dillinger, a six-foot-five shooting guard from the University of Hawaii who is being eyed by Talk ’N Text, the player had only secured the DOJ affirmation but still lacks the BID paper. Norwood is currently applying for the immigration affirmation as of this point.

Some Fil-foreign applicants were also asked to submit a National Statistics Office certified birth certificate. The BusinessMirror source also doubted if Norwood and Dillinger were able to secure one.

thadzonline
08-27-2008, 09:38 AM
there is no need for an NSO birth certificate if the applicants were born abroad. As Ive been saying before, failure to comply with requirements and special treatments will have its downside and as we see now, there are disgruntled individuals.

coreytaylor
08-27-2008, 10:06 AM
5.Alaska--Sol MErcado (fiL-am kasi* ;D good backup kay miller).

FROM WHAT IVE HEARD, ALASKA WANTS A BIG MAN! i dont think they want a fil-am na daw.

lawrence bonus may fit the bill. 100% pinoy! big na big pa! ;D

bossman
08-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Is there already a final list of draft prospects?

joelex
08-27-2008, 02:03 PM
from the list, here are the notable stars:

Norwood* * * * * * * * * * * *Borboran
Dilinger* * * * * * * * * * * * * Gregorio
Castro* * * * * * * * * * * * * *Saldua
Rob Reyes* * * * * * * * * * *Cabahug
Custodio* * * * * * * * * * * * Mark Yee
Belga* * * * * * * * * * * * * * Saguindel
Larry Rodriguez* * * * * * * *Chito Jaime
Escobal* * * * * * * * * * * * *Marc Cuevas
t@ng* * * * * * * * * * * * * * Jonathan Fernandez
Chan* * * * * * * * * * * * * * Sol Mercado
Bonus Cholo Villanueva

crew15
08-27-2008, 02:53 PM

how about belga?quality bigman good for the aces

Semenelin
08-27-2008, 04:48 PM

Norwood Borboran
Dilinger Gregorio
Castro Saldua
Rob Reyes Cabahug
Custodio Mark Yee
Belga Saguindel
Larry Rodriguez Chito Jaime
Escobal Marc Cuevas
t@ng Jonathan Fernandez
Chan Sol Mercado
Bonus Cholo Villanueva

jaime isnt in the list....

evil_fish
08-27-2008, 09:07 PM
It looks like it will be a boring draft. This years draftees are bound to be benchwarmers in some PBA teams

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
Correction: Thrown out by onion-skinned dictators and his alalay in the tiger's lair.

amdgc82
08-28-2008, 07:02 AM
PBA requirements waived
for Norwood?
www.malaya.com.ph

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MEMBERS of the PBA board have apparently reached an agreement waiving some of the requirements that will enable Fil-American Gabe Norwood to join the rookie draft on Sunday.

A reliable source said the 6-foot-5 Norwood is arriving in Manila on Friday and would be made eligible even without affirmation from the Department of Justice and recognition from the Bureau of Immigration.

"That’s the topic of the board meeting in Macau today (yesterday)," said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

"That’s the reason why Gabe is coming over this Friday."

Set at Market! Market! the rookie draft features some of the best homegrown talents and several Fil-foreigners, with Rain or Shine expected to make Norwood, born in Ohio to a Filipina mother, as the first choice overall.

Talk N Text is next in line and is also expected to choose a foreign-bred cager in Fil-German Jared Dillinger, who apparently also has yet to complete the necessary documents.

The PBA had earlier said the board would agree to waive some requirements since Norwood has played for flag and country. The 23-year-old Norwood saw action with the PBA-backed Philippine team in the FIBA Asia qualifying tournament for the Beijing Olympics in Japan last year where the squad finished ninth and the gold medal-winning squad in the 2007 Southeast Asian Games in Thailand.

thadzonline
08-28-2008, 07:50 AM
trust me, there will be quarters raising questions about this.

myktristan
08-28-2008, 10:12 AM
Can Gabe turn RoS’s fortunes around?
http://www.journal.com.ph/index.php?issue=2008-08-28&sec=7&aid=71240

A NEW name, a new game and a better direction for the Asian Coatings Philippines franchise this time around.

To welcome the arrival of another blue-chip player into its fold who it hopes would help turn its fortunes around, Asian Coatings will carry one of its flagship brands – Rain or Shine – when it resumes its bid in the coming PBA Philippine Cup.

Known before as the Welcoat Paints Dragons, the Asian Coating franchise will now be called Rain or Shine Elastopainters.

Team owners Raymond Yu and Terry Que are both optimistic of the positive impact the team’s new name will have in the pro league, saying the product its is carrying right now is a catch phrase among Filipinos.

“It’s easy to recall, so I hope we can attract more following since the PBA has been a reliable marketing vehicle for our flagship brands,” said Yu. “But we promise to be more competitive this time around.”

With the new name, coach Caloy Garcia hopes to use their No. 1 pick in the annual drafting on Sunday as part of their retooling process as the management is determined to paint a bright image to its company.

“New name means more wins for our team,” said Que. “By owning the top pick, we are certain to do better in the coming conference.”

With the possibility of getting either former PBL hotshot Gabe Norwood or Jared Dillinger, team manager and representative to the Board Mamerto Mondragon expects the team to be more exciting and vibrant for the coming season.

“Either of the two is a good choice, since both players can play small or big,” said Yu. “We really need a guard who is capable of providing stability and firepower to the team.”

Que is also hoping to tab former Harbour Centre stars Sol Mercado and TY Tang.

“If they are still available in the second round, we will get them,” said Que.

Alternate PBA Governor Carlo Quevada further explained that the strategic corporate move is a fitting tribute to all the national business partners and die-hard supporters of the Rair or Shine Elastomeric Waterproofing Paints.

Last year, Rain or Shine selected Joe Devance as its No. 1 pick and also tabbed Ryan Arana in the second round.

Yu and Que also plan to use the free agent market to beef up their team.

time1513
08-28-2008, 12:22 PM
yes i agree... i think Jaime should be in the list... a sleeper in the draft... could go as high as 10th pick to early 2nd round.

Bonus* * * * * * * * * * * * * *Cholo Villanueva

time1513
08-28-2008, 12:24 PM

how about belga?quality bigman good for the aces

haha Belga i think would be a good fit. if they can steal Rob Reyes... ok lang... pero FIL AM hehehe

time1513
08-28-2008, 12:25 PM
does anyone know the complete list of the draft? 1st and 2nd round? :D thanks

Semenelin
08-28-2008, 01:24 PM
yes i agree... i think Jaime should be in the list... a sleeper in the draft... could go as high as 10th pick to early 2nd round.

Norwood Borboran
Dilinger Gregorio
Castro Saldua
Rob Reyes Cabahug
Custodio Mark Yee
Belga Saguindel
Larry Rodriguez Chito Jaime
Escobal Marc Cuevas
t@ng Jonathan Fernandez
Chan Sol Mercado
Bonus Cholo Villanueva

No, i meant Chito did not enter the draft yet...

time1513
08-29-2008, 12:35 AM
oh... haha alam ko kasali sya eh. :D nasa list sya ng applicants... :D

Bonus* * * * * * * * * * * * * *Cholo Villanueva

No, i meant Chito did not enter the draft yet...

amdgc82
08-29-2008, 06:40 AM
http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/0829&302008/images/sports-pic01.jpg
By Joel Orellana
Reporter
www.businessmirror.com.ph
HISTORY has shown that top-rated rookie draftees to a basketball league don’t always live up to their potential—and that lower-rated draftees often pull off pleasant surprises.

The Philippine Basketball Association (PBA), which holds its 24th annual Rookie Draft this Sunday at the Market! Market! Mall in Taguig City, is no exception.

In 1985 the PBA, then under commissioner Mariano Yenko, instituted the league’s first rookie draft after 10 years of existence as Asia’s first play-for-pay loop.

Santiago “Sonny” Cabatu entered the annals of the PBA’s storied history as the first-ever No. 1 pick of the draft—one of the many rookies tabbed by league newcomer Shell, which bought the franchise of disbanded Crispa Redmanizers prior to the 1985 season.

Cabatu, the six-foot-five lefty center from La Salle, joined 22 others on the exclusive list of No. 1 picks in the history of the PBA Draft.

Sadly, many of the players picked first did not become as successful as they should be in their respective PBA careers due to various reasons that only dedicated fans of the league could explain how and why.

Cabatu was beaten by teammate Leo Austria, a fourth-round selection and 10th overall, for the Rookie of the Year (ROY) plum. Austria almost did not get that distinction as the PBA’s first-ever top freshman—as the league thought no one deserved to win the award.

In fact, league records state that out of 23 No. 1 picks, only eight went on to win the ROY award, with Larry Fonacier, then of Red Bull, holding the distinction as the lowest-picked player to win top rookie honors as the 14th overall selection.

Allan Caidic was the first top pick (by Great Taste) to win the ROY in 1987, and Benjie Paras is the only No. 1 pick so far to win both the ROY and Most Valuable Player (MVP) awards in the same year in 1989.

The draft was meant to balance the competition among the competing teams in the league, with the team with the worst record in the previous season getting the best chance to select the best talent available from the amateur ranks.

This Sunday Welcoat, after finishing last for second consecutive seasons, will again pick first.

As of this writing, the list of applicants is not yet out, but for the rookie hopefuls, the draft is the start of what could be a long and, hopefully, fruitful journey in the PBA.

Batch ‘85

UNLIKE in the last 10 years of the draft, when the activity was presented festively and held at big shopping malls in the metropolis, the 1985 draft was just held inside the board room of the PBA office. No colorful programs, no long speeches, no big trades and no PBA players going up in the stage, dressed in formal outfits accompanied by team officials (and sometimes children of team owners).

“Sa newspaper ko lang nalaman na na-draft ako ng Shell,” says Cabatu, now one of the anchors of PBA Radio. “Sa PBA office lang ginagawa ang draft noon, and those who were invited were the coaches and the team managers of the teams.”

Besides Cabatu and Austria, other rookies selected and who played in the PBA were Romy Ang, Menardo Jubinal and Alejandro “Aldo” Perez of Shell; Great Taste’s Teddy Alfarero and Lawrence Merced; Ramon “Onchie” de la Cruz of Tanduay; and Rey Perez of Ginebra.

“Before kasi, kinukuha ng Crispa at Toyota ang magagaling na players kaya ipinakilala ng PBA ‘yung draft,” Cabatu remembered.

He was honored to be chosen No. 1 and admitted that the pressure was there, but managed to keep that in check as he was surrounded by ex-Crispa players like Cezar and Bogs Adornado, who were absorbed by the Shell squad.

Besides playing with legends, Cabatu also recalled that the perks of the 1985 batch were not as substantial compared with what first-round draftees are receiving today.

“Sa pagkaalala ko, the top pick up to the seventh pick, pare-pareho lang kami P10,000 a month. Noong second year lang ako nabigyan ng increase ng P4,000. Ngayon, napakalaki na ang difference when it comes to salary,” says Cabatu.

“Noon, one-fourth lang ang suweldo namin sa mga highest paid noong araw tulad nina Mon Fernandez at Cezar. Ngayon, ’yung top pick halos kalahati na sa maximum ng liga, which is P350,000,” he added.

For the last couple of years, the PBA instituted a fixed monthly salary scale for the top three picks, which would earn them the maximum for a rookie of P150,000 a month, with a stipulated rate of increase based on league rules depending on the length of their contracts.

“Mabagal ang increase noong araw. Malaki na talaga ang difference ng suwelduhan ngayon kaya ang excited diyan ’yung mga rookies na darating,” says Cabatu, who only got a hefty contract when he played with Ginebra for two years where he received P160,000 a month in the first year and P180,000 the following year.

Talent versus need

IS there a cardinal rule in drafting a player? PBA coaches offered different insights, but they all have one common goal—to make their respective teams better.

But if they have the privilege of choosing first, will they go for the best available talent, or go for the missing piece that will make the team a title contender? Purefoods coach Ryan Gregorio says he will always go for the best talent.

“To be safe, you go for the best talent. Either you get that talented player, formulate the system, or you get that player, trade the player for the player you need,” says Gregorio.

This was testified when Gregorio tabbed James Yap second overall in the 2004-05 draft. Shell picked Richard Alvarez as the No. 1 pick in that class and went on to win ROY.

The Giants mentor says he would still select Yap even if his team had the top selection.

“James fell into our lap,” says Gregorio. “Shell needed Alvarez and I thought Rich did a tremendous job for Shell that time, earning him ROY. But for us, on a longer scenario, James is helping us big time and we have formulated a system around him.”

Air21 head coach Bo Perasol shares the same view with Gregorio. “I would always go for the best possible talent. Then, trade for what I need.”

But for Red Bull coach Yeng Guiao, his decision in choosing an aspirant lies on what his team needs.

“I’m system-oriented, so I would go for what the team needs,” says Guiao, who will be looking for big men in the coming draft that could be threats in the low post.

Sta. Lucia mentor Boyet Fernandez, who steered the Realtors to their first All-Filipino crown last season, would also look for players to fill his team’s gaps.

“For me, I look first for what the team needs and next will be the best talent available, then look for a trade,” says Fernandez, who took a gamble last year when he opted for a lesser known Ryan Reyes as the team’s No. 3 overall pick.

Sta. Lucia owner Exequiel Robles had suggested the team get Ateneo’s JC Intal, but team manager Buddy Encarnado and Fernandez batted for Reyes, who eventually won the ROY.

Magnolia mentor Siot Tanquingcen also considers first what the team needs but, “There are cases where the talent is that much better you take the best talent then just decide how best to fit him in.”

Alaska’s Tim Cone says the situation is a case-to-case basis, adding that talent over need would still depend on the team’s situation.

“It really depends on your present situation. I don’t think you can make a hard rule,” says Cone.* “It also depends where you are in the draft order. The higher you are, more for best player, the lower, more for the need.”

But Cone defied that rule in 1993 when his team, holding the No. 3 pick, was looking for a big man and had an eye on Jun Limpot and Victor Pablo. Unfortunately, the two were taken by Sta. Lucia and Ginebra, respectively, so Alaska took Abarrientos.

“We were in great need of a big man in the 1993 draft and we were not really interested in Johnny,” Cone was quoted in the book The First 25, about the PBA’s first quarter-century of existence.

Limpot went on to win the Rookie hardware, but Abarrientos later led the Uytengsu franchise to a rare Grand Slam in 1996—the year he won his MVP award.

Class ‘08

As for the aspirants for the 2008 Rookie Draft, the consensus is that Gabe Norwood will be the No. 1 pick of this batch. The 48 aspirants for this year’s draft are expected to be trimmed down when D-Day comes.

Some are saying this year’s batch is not as talented compared with last year’s class. This year is guard-dominated, led by Norwood, who at six-foot-five called the plays for George Mason University, a US National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I school.

Other guards expected to come out in the first round are three-time Philippine Basketball League MVP Jason Castro, local NCAA MVP Kelvin de la Peña, ex-La Salle guards TY Tang and Cholo Villanueva, and Fil-Am Solomon Mercado, whose style of play is being compared with Jimmy Alapag of the Phone Pals.

Quality big men will be rare this year, with only Rob Reyes, the nephew of former Ateneo star Eric Reyes, expected to create an immediate impact next season.

There are a few good wing men out there, led by University of the East’s Mark Borboran, National U’s Jonathan Fernandez and Adamson’s Patrick Cabahug.

Jarred Dillinger, the six-foot-five shooting guard out of University of Hawaii, could turn out to be the sleeper of the draft, but at present, his citizenship papers proving his Filipino lineage are not yet in place.

The draft order this year is: (1) Rain or Shine (formerly Welcoat), (2) Talk ‘N Text, (3) Magnolia, (4) Talk ‘N Text, (5) Alaska, (6) Air21, (7) Purefoods, (8.) Air21, (9) Ginebra and (10) Sta. Lucia.

With little talent from the pool, teams are expected to dangle trades to other PBA squads.*

Norwood and Dillinger—if the latter manages to comply with PBA requirements—are expected to go 1-2, and it will be interesting to see how the Beverage Masters will use their No. 3 pick.

Unconfirmed reports have it that Magnolia is offering its No. 3 pick and one player to Red Bull for Cyrus Baguio. Of course, rumors will remain so until teams officially give a go signal to that proposal.

For rookies who worked so hard during their college days and in the amateur leagues, draft day is a climactic stage of their careers as basketball players. Being called up the stage is one thing, but being signed by the team that drafted them is the most important thing.

With the PBA Draft going public in recent years, the draft aspirants are now placed in a secluded area, so the public does not see the unlucky unselected ones.

Still, history tells basketball fans that being the No. 1 pick is no longer a guarantee of a successful career in the PBA—and it is also not an automatic assumption that the team that picks first would have a great season ahead.
http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/0829&302008/images/sports-pic02.jpg

amdgc82
08-29-2008, 06:44 AM
August 29, 2008 07:52 PM Friday*
Norwood or nothing for Rain or Shine *
By: Zean Macamay*
www.journal.com.ph

RAIN or Shine has long thought and decided that Gabe Norwood is the player it wants and needs.
The team that will pick No. 1 in the PBA Annual Draft on Sunday has remained firm that it will keep Norwood for good and perhaps make him the cornerstone of the franchise in the near future, closing the door on any trade offers that has reportedly come from two giant ball clubs.* *
“It’s our pick, he’s not for sale,” said Terry Que, co-owner of Rain or Shine, formerly Welcoat.
If everything goes well for Norwood in today’s deadline for Fil-foreign applicants, the Elasto Painters will have in their fold a player polished by international competitions and one could transform Rain or Shine from also-rans into contenders.
“Kung ibibigay namin si Norwood, dapat nuon pa naisip na namin,” said Que.
Norwood is reportedly being sought by Talk ‘N Text and by the San Miguel group of teams. Rain or Shine, however, has emphatically already closed the door on trade talks.
Obviously, Phone Pals coach Chot Reyes is the man seeking the services of Norwood, having mentored him while Norwood played in the national team in the FIBA Asia Qualifying Championships in Tokushima, Japan last year.
The only problem Rain or Shine has at this moment is whether Norwood will be able to beat the deadline at 12 noon today set by the PBA. Norwood has yet to submit any of the two documents the league requires.
Norwood will have to present a Department of Justice (DoJ) certificate of affirmation and a certificate coming from the Bureau of Immigration and Deportation. A reliable source, however, said that the documents are already processed and will be submitted today at the PBA office.
Another Fil-foreign — Jared Dillinger — has yet to complete his documents. Dillinger, a Fil-German who is expected to be picked No. 2 by Talk ‘N Text, still has to submit his DoJ affirmation papers.
The list of 47 applicants, however, is expected to be trimmed down once the Commissioner’s Office has completely screened the requirements submitted by all prospective rookies just before Draft Day.
Of the four Fil-foreign bred players, Norwood, the 6-foot-5 guard out of George Mason University who played for the national team in three international tournaments last year, and Dillinger are considered among this year’s first round draftees.
The Phone Pals will also pick no. 4 followed by Alaska (5), Air21 (6), Purefoods (7), Air21 (8.), Barangay Ginebra (9) and Sta. Lucia (10).
Other noted talents out of this year’s rookie batch include former national players Jeff Chan, Jonathan Fernandez, Beau Belga, Rob Reyes, TY Tang, Mark Borboran, Kelvin Gregorio, Cholo Villanueva, NCAA Most Valuable Player (MVP) Kelvin dela Pena, Kelvin Delafu, Pong Escobal, Larry Rodriguez, Patrick Cabahug, Christian Espiritu and Lawrence Bonus.
Majority of the applicants saw action in the traditional Rookie Camp held at the Emilio Aguinaldo College gym last August 22-23.
Completing the 47-man list approved so far by the Commissioner’s Office are Ryan Regalado, Mark Anthony Cuevas, Andrew Catigan, Diomar Facum, Michael Dizon, Ismael Junio, Christian Reyes, Angelus Raymundo, Eian Yu, Dennis Concha, Frankly Nailon, Michael Gonzales, Mark Yee, Rene Cunanan,* Eder Saldua, Nestor David, Earn Saguindel, Nizar Kiram, Ferdinand Melocoton, Juan Luis Abad, Christian Cabatu, Nathaniel Cruz, Lei Mar Navarro, Jan Coching, Michael Olino, Chito Jaime and Ricky Natividad.

amdgc82
08-29-2008, 06:50 AM
Mercado likely to become top pick
08/29/2008
www.tribuneonline.org

Solomon Mercado is likely to become this year's top pick in the Philippine Basketball Association's (PBA) annual draft pick on Aug. 31 at Market! Market!

It's because Filipino-foreign dribblers Gabe Norwood and Jared Dillinger have yet to produce the original copies of their citizenship papers, according to the league's media bureau.

Norwood could easily be a big lure in the PBA, especially with his enviable credentials that include his stint with the national team in three international tournaments last year.

Norwood and Dillinger, a 6-foot-5 guard from University of Hawaii, were given by the league until today to submit their Department of Justice certification and affirmation from the Bureau of Immigration.

The Commissioner's Office will be forced to drop their names from the list of 47 applicants who applied for the 2008 PBA Annual Draft on Sunday once they fail to comply with the reqyuirements.

myktristan
08-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Gabe gets green light
by Rey Joble
http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?page=sports1_aug28_2008

FINALLY, the Philippine Basketball Association has given the green light to rookie Gabe Norwood.

This was revealed by an unimpeachable Standard Today source, who confirmed that the former George Mason University standout was allowed by the PBA Board to finally join the pro league.

The Board met in Macau until late Tuesday night and the members have reportedly agreed unanimously to let the 6’5”, former national team standout to join the PBA Draft set Aug. 31.

This happened despite Norwood’s pending documents from Department of Justice affirming that he is a Filipino and the Bureau of Immigration granting him to play in the PBA.

“The Board has agreed to approve Norwood’s entry because people would think that there should be something wrong once he won’t be allowed as he has already served the country playing for the national team,” said the source, who requested anonymity.

PBA Commissioner Sonny Barrios earlier last week urged the board to waive the other documents required by the league on Norwood .

Norwood was a member of the national team that competed in several major Asian tournaments like the FIBA Asian Men’s Basketball Championship in Tokushima and the country’s campaign in the William Jones Cup and Las Vegas Summer League. He also spearheaded the RP team’s campaign in the Seaba tournament that won the title.

Norwood earlier got the backing of Danding Cojuangco, chairman of the board of San Miguel Corp. and godfather of Philippine basketball, who mentioned his commitment on the RP team as the main reason why he should be allowed to play in the PBA. DoJ secretary Raul Gonzalez likewise gave an opinion letter stating Norwood as a Filipino.

The Rain or Shine Elasto Painters, formerly known as Welcoat, are expected to make Norwood the top overall pick in the coming draft.

The_Big_Cat
08-29-2008, 11:44 AM
When Alvin Patrimonio was still playing for Purefoods, the Purefoods franchise had a knack for getting Mapua Cardinals from the draft. Albert "Kevin" Ramas (1991), Benny Cheng (1994) and Ruben Dela Rosa (1996). Although marami na silang guards but Patrimonio is now in the front office, don't be surprised if they select Kelvin Dela Pena.

thadzonline
08-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Gabe gets green light
by Rey Joble
http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?page=sports1_aug28_2008

FINALLY, the Philippine Basketball Association has given the green light to rookie Gabe Norwood.

This was revealed by an unimpeachable Standard Today source, who confirmed that the former George Mason University standout was allowed by the PBA Board to finally join the pro league.

The Board met in Macau until late Tuesday night and the members have reportedly agreed unanimously to let the 6’5”, former national team standout to join the PBA Draft set Aug. 31.

This happened despite Norwood’s pending documents from Department of Justice affirming that he is a Filipino and the Bureau of Immigration granting him to play in the PBA.

“The Board has agreed to approve Norwood’s entry because people would think that there should be something wrong once he won’t be allowed as he has already served the country playing for the national team,” said the source, who requested anonymity.

PBA Commissioner Sonny Barrios earlier last week urged the board to waive the other documents required by the league on Norwood .

Norwood was a member of the national team that competed in several major Asian tournaments like the FIBA Asian Men’s Basketball Championship in Tokushima and the country’s campaign in the William Jones Cup and Las Vegas Summer League. He also spearheaded the RP team’s campaign in the Seaba tournament that won the title.

Norwood earlier got the backing of Danding Cojuangco, chairman of the board of San Miguel Corp. and godfather of Philippine basketball, who mentioned his commitment on the RP team as the main reason why he should be allowed to play in the PBA. DoJ secretary Raul Gonzalez likewise gave an opinion letter stating Norwood as a Filipino.

The Rain or Shine Elasto Painters, formerly known as Welcoat, are expected to make Norwood the top overall pick in the coming draft.

talaga naman, baka isipin ni Gabe ginamit lang siya. Dapat kasi when he joined the national team, inayos na nila lahat ng docs

Liga Pilipinas
08-30-2008, 01:40 AM
THE following are the 2008 PBA Rookie Draft prospects who have or are currently seeing action in Liga Pilipinas:

BAGUIO VICTORY
Earn Saguindel

CEBU NINOS
none

ILOCOS SUR BRAVE HEARTS
Christian Cabatu
Eder John Saldua

ILOILO MANG INASALS
Nestor David
Chito Jaime

LAGUNA STALLIONS
Nathaniel Cruz

LIPA-BATANGAS BARAKOS
Bonifacio Custodio
Ismael Junio

MISAMIS ORIENTAL METEORS
Patrick Jan Cabahug
Dennis Concha
Anthony Espiritu
Franklyn Nailon

PAGADIAN EXPLORERS
Mark Yee

PAMPANGA BUDDIES
Jared Dillinger
Larry Rodriguez

QUEZON RED OILERS
Angelus Raymundo
Ryan Regalado

TAGAYTAY-CAVITE HEROES
Lawrence Bonus

TAGUIG BATANG GLOBAL
Mark Anthony Cuevas

ZAMBOANGA AMORES
Unik Christian Reyes

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU!

amdgc82
08-30-2008, 06:32 AM
Norwood, Dillinger cleared for PBA draft
By Nelson Beltran
Saturday, August 30, 2008
www.philstar.com

The Justice Department ruling, in the end, turned out substantial enough for Fil-Am hotshot Gabe Norwood to be eligible for the 2008 PBA Rookie Draft slated tomorrow at the Market! Market! Place in Taguig.

The PBA cleared Norwood and Jared Dillinger for the draft exercise yesterday, pegging at 45 the complete list of players who made the draft pool.

Failing to make the list were Chris Viardo and Charles Waters.

Dillinger, a 6-foot-5 guard out of the University of Hawaii, was able to complete the required documents at the 11th hour.

Norwood no longer needed to satisfy the requirements as the league ruled that a letter of Justice Sec. Raul Gonzalez to the Department of Foreign Affairs declaring the player a Filipino on the basis of his mother’s citizenship was in substantial compliance with league requirements.

“Norwood, through his agent Mark Chan, was told he’s no longer covered by the proceedings (for BI affirmation and DOJ confirmation) because the DOJ secretary has written the Foreign Affairs Department of his ruling,” said PBA commissioner Sonny Barrios.

“We’ve consulted our legal counsel (Melvin Mendoza), and he said it’s right. It would be redundant if he’s subjected to the proceedings,” Barrios added.

Gonzalez made his ruling on the case of Norwood in a letter dated July 21, 2007, paving the way for the issuance of Philippine passport to the former George Mason U stalwart. With the RP passport, Norwood was able to play later on in the Tokushima FIBA-Asia men’s championship and the Nakhon Ratchasima SEA Games last year.

“Having been born on Feb. 9, 1985, of a Filipino mother makes Gabriel Daniel Norwood a Filipino citizen under Sec.1 (2) of Article III of the 1973 Constitution which declares as citizens of the Philippines ‘those whose fathers and mothers are citizens of the Philippines,’ at the time of their birth. As such, he should have the right to be issued a Philippine passport in accordance with Sec. 5 of R.A. No.8239,” Gonzalez wrote DFA Secretary Alberto Romulo, who asked for his opinion when Norwood applied for a Philippine passport.

“Since the DOJ contends that Norwood no longer needs the documents we required him to submit, it’s illogical on our part to insist on it,” Barrios said.

The other six Fil-foreign applicants were required to submit additional supporting documents but Norwood was given some concessions for being a member of the PBA-formed Philippine national team that represented the country in the Tokushima joust.

Rain or Shine (formerly Welcoat) co-team owners Raymund Yu and Terry Que said they would definitely make Norwood the No. 1 choice.

Solomon Mercado, another Fil-Am, and Jayson Castro are the other highly touted players in this year’s draft pool.

Other noted talents include Jeff Chan, Jonathan Fernandez, Beau Belga, Rob Reyes, TY Tang, Mark Borboran, Kelvin Gregorio, Cholo Villanueva, NCAA Most Valuable Player (MVP) Kelvin dela Peña, Kelvin Delafu, Pong Escobal, Larry Rodriguez, Patrick Cabahug, Christian Espiritu, and Lawrence Bonus.

Completing the 45-man list are Ryan Regalado, Mark Anthony Cuevas, Andrew Catigan, Diomar Facum, Michael Dizon, Ismael Junio, Christian Reyes, Angelus Raymundo, Eian Yu, Dennis Concha, Frankly Nailon, Michael Gonzales, Mark Yee, Rene Cunanan, Eder Saldua, Nestor David, Earn Saguindel, Nizar Kiram, Ferdinand Melocoton, Juan Luis Abad, Christian Cabatu, Nathaniel Cruz, Lei Mar Navarro, Jan Coching, Michael Olino, Chito Jaime and Ricky Natividad.

amdgc82
08-30-2008, 06:35 AM
Undrafted rookies could be lucky free agents
By Joaquin Henson
Saturday, August 30, 2008
www.philstar.com

At least 25 rookies will not be picked in the PBA draft at Market! Market! in the Bonifacio Global City tomorrow but the prospect of free agency isn’t as grim as it seems.

As of yesterday, it still wasn’t certain how many in the rookie pool of 45 will be delisted because of incomplete documents. Assuming 45 remain in the eligible roster and no team passes in the two draft rounds, 20 rookies will be selected, leaving 25 out in the cold.

The undrafted 25 rookies automatically become free agents, meaning they may try out for any team of their choice. The 20 draftees are bound to negotiate with the teams that picked them. A drafting team has five working days to tender an offer for a player. If no offer is made within the stipulated period, the draftee becomes a free agent.

The minimum monthly salary for a rookie is P30,000 and the maximum is P150,000 in the first year. A rookie may be signed to a short-term contract (a month or a conference) or as long as three years. The escalation limit in a multi-year contract is 50 percent annually.

Last year, only 17 of 44 rookie applicants were drafted as teams passed on the last three slots. All the draftees, except R. J. Masbang, got to play in the PBA. Undrafted rookies who were later signed as free agents were Reed Juntilla (Red Bull), Chris Baluyot (Air21), Francis Barcellano (Talk ‘N’ Text) and J. R. Aquino (Barangay Ginebra).

In 2006, six of the 27 undrafted rookies wound up playing in the PBA. They were Jonathan Aldave (Talk ‘N’ Text), Ronnie Bughao (Sta. Lucia Realty), Philip Butel (Sta. Lucia Realty), Don Dulay (Welcoat), Chico Lanete (Purefoods) and Robert Sanz (Purefoods). The 20 drafted players, except Ollan Omiping, suited up in the PBA.

“Even if you’re not drafted, it doesn’t mean you won’t be able to play in the PBA,” said a player agent. “Sometimes, it’s better if you’re a free agent because you’re not restricted to negotiate with just one team.”

This year’s draft is a mix of newcomers, veterans, Fil-Ams and college standouts. The youngest is 6-6 Beau Belga, 21, of Philippine Christian University. The shortest is 5-7 T. Y. Tang of La Salle while Rob Reyes of Flagler College, Mark Cuevas of LA Community College, Angelus Raymundo of San Beda Alabang, Lawrence Bonus of St. Francis of Assisi, Christian Cabatu of St. Benilde, Ricky Natividad of PSBA and Belga are the tallest at 6-6.

St. Benilde and the University of the East are contributing four rookies each. The Blazers are Cabatu, Juna Luis Abad, Jan Coching and Unik Reyes. The Warriors are Mark Borboran, Kelvin Gregorio, Bonbon Custodio and Earn Saguindel.* PCU cagers are Belga, Jason Castro and Lei Mar Navarro.

From La Salle are Tang and Pocholo Villanueva.

Struck out of the pool for failing to show up at the recent two-day rookie camp were 6-7 Diomar Facun of the University of Manila and 31-year-old Michael Olino of Rizal Tech.

Rookies with US collegiate credentials include Gabe Norwood of George Mason, Jared Dillinger of the University of Hawaii, Reyes, Kevin Dalafu of Vanguard University, Solomon Mercado of Biola University, Michael Dizon of Florida College and Eian Yu of UCLA.

Welcoat owns the first overall pick and will likely choose Norwood who planes in from State College, Pennsylvania, tomorrow morning. Norwood has played twice for the Philippine team in international competitions and is fresh from leading Hapee to the PBL finals.

amdgc82
08-30-2008, 06:41 AM
Norwood now on draft list
08/30/2008
www.tribuneonline.org

The long wait is over and Gabe Norwood and Jared Dillinger are sure to be made 1-2 by Rain or Shine (formerly Welcoat) and Talk N Text in the PBA Rookie Draft tomorrow at the Market! Market! in Taguig.

Question is: What does Magnolia plan to do at No. 3?

That's exactly what Beverage Masters coach Siot Tanquingcen is asking as of yesterday, still at a loss as he is on which player to choose from the widely perceived short list of talents that will be left after Norwood and Dillinger are gone.

"Maraming options at maraming p'wedeng mangyari," said Tanquingcen after learning Norwood was officially given the green light to participate in the draft by no less than PBA Commissioner Renauld "Sonny" Barrios yesterday while Dillinger submitted the required documents from the BI and the DoJ yesterday noon.

Rain or Shine management is adamant in its stance it will tab Norwood at No. 1 while TNT is opting for Dillinger, another 6-foot-5 and also can play from the point guard position up to the small forward slot.

There's one development within Magnolia that necessitates a very careful study of the remaining applicants and who to pick, however.

Two-time MVP Danny Ildefonso just underwent a foot operation in the US and the 6'5 center-forward is sure to miss at least the first half of the season-opening Philippine Cup.

That means Magnolia can pass up on the likes of Solomon Mercado, a bulky 6'1 guard, and three-time PBL MVP Jayson Castro, another guard, for 6'6 center Rob Reyes.

"Reyes is one option," said Tanquingcen, "pero hindi naman p'wedeng basta saksakan ng rookie ang p'westo ni Danny I."

Magnolia has another first round pick at No. 8 and there are other big men available, but Tanquingcen admitted that necessitates a more thorough study of their decision.

"As of now, we really haven't made up our minds. Pagdating na siguro ng draft day mismo kami mag-de-decide" he said.

Also expected to go high in the proceedings that start at 4 p.m. are Kelvin dela Pena, Beau Belga, Rob Reyes, TY Tang, Mark Borboran and Bonbon Custodio.

Others in the 47-man list who can get picked in the two-round session are Jonathan Fernandez, Patrick Cabahug, Jeff Chan, Fil-Am Charles Waters, Kelvin Gregorio and Larry Rodriguez.

Others with first round picks are TNT again at No. 4, followed by Alaska, Air21, Purefoods, Red Bull (9) and Sta. Lucia (10).

amdgc82
08-30-2008, 06:45 AM
Dillinger beats deadline
By Rey Joble
www.manilastandardtoday.com

JARED Dillinger, the next best available talent outside of Gabe Norwood, beat the deadline and made himself available for the Philippine Basketball Association Rookie Draft.

The 6’5” former University of Hawaii standout submitted to the PBA office the Department of Justice letter affirming his Filipino citizenship as well as certification from Liga Pilipinas that he has already met the minimum required games to join the draft this Sunday at the Market! Market! in Taguig City .

Dillinger has reportedly played a total of 26 games, according to Virgil Villavicencio, team manager of the Pampanga Buddies, the Talk N Text Phone Pals’ farm team in Liga Pilipinas.

“He has played for 26 games and he has two more games here in Liga Pilipinas before he joins the PBA draft. Aside from that, Dillinger is no doubt a Filipino as his mother Gemma Bautista was born in Pangasinan,” said Villavicencio.

Rain or Shine will pick first in the draft and will secure the services of Norwood. Talk N Text picks second and fourth in the first round and will get Dillinger and most likely, Rob Reyes. The no.3 pick belongs to San Miguel Beer and is setting its sights on either Jason Castro or another Fil-Am in Solomon Mercado.

Alaska selects next at fifth, Air21 at sixth and eighth, Purefoods at seventh, Ginebra at ninth and Sta. Lucia picks last.

Meanwhile, Rain or Shine is willing to give a no-trade clause on the contract of Norwood just to show that it has no plans of selling its top overall rookie.

redbragais
08-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Cabatu, the six-foot-five lefty center from La Salle, joined 22 others on the exclusive list of No. 1 picks in the history of the PBA Draft.

correction: Santiago 'Sonny' Santiago Sr. was a Lyceum Pirate not from DLSU, it was his son Jun-Jun who came from La Salle.

redbragais
08-30-2008, 02:07 PM
LIST OF DRAFTEES
1. ABAD, Juan Luis G - College of St. Benilde
2. BELGA, Beau C 6-5 Philippine Christian University
3. BONUS, Lawrence C 6-7 University of Manila
4. BORBORAN, Mark G 6-3 University of the East
5. CABAHUG, Patrick G 6-2 Adamson University
6. CABATU, Christian C 6-5 College of St. Benilde
7. CASTRO, Jason G 5-10 Philippine Christian University
8. CATIGAN, Andrew G 5-11 Langara College
9. CHAN, Jeffrey G 6-2 Far Eastern University
10. COCHING, Jan Anthony G 6-1 College of St. Benilde
11. CONCHA, Dennis F 6-3 -
12. CRUZ, Nathaniel F 6-5 Mapua Institute of Technology
13. CUEVAS, Mark Anthony C 6-6 Los Angeles County College
14. CUNANAN, Rene G 6-0 Jose Rizal University
15. CUSTODIO, Bonifacio G 5-11 University of the East
16. DALAFU, Kevin G 6-1 Vanguard University
17. DAVID, Nestor F 6-3 University of the Philippines
18. DELA PENA, Kelvin G 6-0 Mapua Institute of Technology
19. DILLINGER, Jared G 6-5 University of Hawaii
20. DIZON, Michael F 6-4 Florida College
21. ESCOBAL, John Paul G 6-0 San Beda College
22. ESPIRITU, Anthony F 6-4 Univeristy of Santo Tomas
23. FERNANDEZ, Jonathan G 6-2 National University
24. GONZALES, Michael G 5-9 San Sebastian College
25. GREGORIO, Kelvin F 6-4 University of the East
26. JAIME, Chito F 6-2 AMA Computer University
27. JUNIO, Ismael G 6-0 Letran College
28. KIRAM, Nizar F 6-5 St. Francis of Assisi
29. MELOCOTON, Ferdie G 6-1 Emilio Aguinaldo College
30. MERCADO, Solomon G 6-0 Biola University
31. NAILON, Franklyn F 6-5 University of Cebu
32. NATIVIDAD, Ricky C 6-5 Philippine School of Bus. Admin.
33. NAVARRO, Lei Mar F 6-3 Philippine Christian Univesity
34. NORWOOD, Gabe G 6-5 George Mason University
35. RAYMUNDO, Angelus C 6-5 San Beda College
36. REGALADO, Ryan G 5-10 University of Manila
37. REYES, Robert F 6-6 Flagler College
38. REYES, Unik Christian F 6-3 College of Saint Benilde
39. RODRIGUEZ, Larry F 6-4 Philippine Maritime Institute
40. SAGUINDEL, Earn G 5-8 University of the East
41. SALDUA, Eder John G 6-3 U. of Mindanao / Far Eastern U.
42. TANG, Tyrone G 5-8 De La Salle University
43. VILLANUEVA, Pocholo G 6-0 De La Salle University
44. YEE, Mark F 6-3 San Sebastian - Cavite
45. YU, Eian - - University of California – L.A.

*removed from the list for not attending the Pre-Rookie Draft Camp
Michale Olino
Diomar Facum
**removed from the list but not explained
Chris Viardo
Charles Waters

thadzonline
08-30-2008, 10:30 PM
This year's draft and its drama just exposes how the PBA is elitist and so lacking in integrity by playing favorites and circumventing their rules to accommodate certain personalities putting some at a disadvantage. Oh well, it's a commercial league. But just makes me wonder again, how serious are they about the national team program?

Semenelin
08-30-2008, 11:56 PM
This year's draft and its drama just exposes how the PBA is elitist and so lacking in integrity by playing favorites and circumventing their rules to accommodate certain personalities putting some at a disadvantage. Oh well, it's a commercial league. But just makes me wonder again, how serious are they about the national team program?

not that much, thats why they'll only help until 2010. they are giving consideration to those they know are crowd drawers.

thadzonline
08-31-2008, 12:28 AM

not that much, thats why they'll only help until 2010. they are giving consideration to those they know are crowd drawers.

as ive said, they are a commercial league and crowd drawers matter nevermind if they bend their own rules. But we must also remember many look up to the PBA as the one to take the lead for the national team as we dream of getting back to the Olympic stage. As it looks right now, we are not seeing the very values we expect that Philippine team to carry

abcdef
08-31-2008, 03:03 PM
Wala bang mag live coverage ng draft?

rowdy
08-31-2008, 05:06 PM
3pm at Market! Market!
primetime telecast at C/S Channel 9 at 7pm
replay at BTV at 9pm

cub
08-31-2008, 05:17 PM
1. Rain or Shine - Gabe Norwood
2. Talk N Text - Jared Dillinger
3. Talk N Text (from SMB) - Jason Castro
4. Talk N Text - Rob Reyes
5. Alaska - Solomon Mercado
6. Air21 - Mark Borboran
7. Purefoods - Beau Belga
8. San Miguel - Bonbon Custodio
9. Red Bull - Larry Rodriguez
10. Sta. Lucia - Kelvin Gregorio

2nd round

11. Talk N text - Pong Escobal
12. Rain or Shine - TY Tang
13. Air21 - Cholo Villanueva
14. Sta. Lucia - Chito Jaime
15. Alaska - Kelvin Dela Peña
16. Purefoods - Jonathan Fernandez
17. Red Bull - Jeff Chan
18. Red Bull - Mark Cuevas
19. Red Bull - (pass)
20. Sta. Lucia - Christian Cabatu

i got this from PEx.

nicksy
08-31-2008, 05:58 PM
1. Rain or Shine - Gabe Norwood
2. Talk N Text - Jared Dillinger
3. Talk N Text (from SMB) - Jason Castro
4. Talk N Text - Rob Reyes
5. Alaska - Solomon Mercado
6. Air21 - Mark Borboran
7. Purefoods - Beau Belga
8. San Miguel - Bonbon Custodio
9. Red Bull - Larry Rodriguez
10. Sta. Lucia - Kelvin Gregorio

2nd round

11. Talk N text - Pong Escobal
12. Rain or Shine - TY Tang
13. Air21 - Cholo Villanueva
14. Sta. Lucia - Chito Jaime
15. Alaska - Kelvin Dela Peña
16. Purefoods - Jonathan Fernandez
17. Red Bull - Jeff Chan
18. Red Bull - Mark Cuevas
19. Red Bull - (pass)
20. Sta. Lucia - Christian Cabatu

i got this from PEx.

yan din ang nakuha kong info, TNT got the 3rd pick from SMB) for JWash

kaybee07
08-31-2008, 06:29 PM
^ SMB gave up its rights on Jason Castro for Jay Washington?? Their lineup's already overflowing with bigs as it is!

Dark Knight
08-31-2008, 08:50 PM
Congats to FEU's Jeff Chan.

Hope they let you sign the contract.

ilovedhay
08-31-2008, 09:17 PM
Ginebra doesnt have a pick. I think Patrick Cabahug will be a good addition for their team. Welcoat may former UP standout Nestor David or St.Francis Lawrence Bonus

rowdy
08-31-2008, 09:31 PM
SMB's looking for a big man to fill in for Ildefonso who just underwent a foot operation, according to newspaper reports ... me-thinks they got a respectable replacement getting a veteran in place of a rookie big man ... i guess they were realy intent on passing up on Jason Castro and leaning towards Rob Reyes, by then it was a choice between a rookie Rob Reyes and the veteran Jay Washington for SMB

rowdy
08-31-2008, 09:43 PM
with the entry of Dillinger, Castro, Reyes and Escobal, sino kaya matatanggal sa line-up ng Talk and Text?
Jec Chia, Kalani Ferreria, Egay Billones, Felix Belano and Gilbert Lao may need to update their resumes kung sakali

kailan ba pwede maglaro si Jason Castro sa PBA?

m_14
08-31-2008, 10:09 PM
iba talaga pag may connections ka na before you apply for the draft, big example is escobal.

nicksy
08-31-2008, 10:29 PM
iba talaga pag may connections ka na before you apply for the draft, big example is escobal.
yeah it is an advantage, pero wag nating kalimutan na magaling na player si Escobal at may magandang potential.

joelex
08-31-2008, 10:38 PM

iba talaga. - christian cabatu

abcdef
08-31-2008, 10:51 PM
Looks like talk and text is bent on having a younger front line.

I think there will be lots of trades involving rookies along the way especially by teams needing big men.

Beau Belga and Enrico Villanueva in one team! Oh my. . . . :o Watch out. . . .

joelex
08-31-2008, 10:54 PM
Looks like talk and text is bent on having a younger front line.

I think there will be lots of trades involving rookies along the way especially by teams needing big men.

Beau Belga and Enrico Villanueva in one team! Oh my. . . .* :o Watch out. . . .

add salvador and the returning but still bruising adducul to the list..

puwede na fatal 4-way match... :D

time1513
08-31-2008, 11:51 PM
Draft day winners are....

TNT - DIllinger, Castro, Rob Reyes, Escobal... wow that's going to be really solid and i nice fit to the system of Chot.

Rain or shine - Norwood and tang. Norwood should be more assertive on the offensive end. but i think he will be a good leader. Tang is a good PG could start midway thru the year.

Belga - good fit, will be a big help.

Draft day losers....

ALaska - what were they thinking? they lack big men and they got two point guards... what?

SMB - Custodio is extremely talented.... but... DANNY S? TUGADE? then Custodio? what?

Liga Pilipinas
09-01-2008, 02:45 AM
CONGRATULATIONS to the Liga Pilipinas players selected during the 2008 PBA Rookie Draft held August 31 at the Market! Market! in Taguig City . . .

JARED DILLINGER - Smart-Pampanga Buddies
1st Round, 2nd Overall by Talk 'N Text

BONIFACIO CUSTODIO - Lipa-Batangas Barakos
1st Round, 8th Overall by San Miguel Beer

LARRY RODRIGUEZ - Smart-Pampanga Buddies
1st Round, 9th Overall by Red Bull

CHITO JAIME - Iloilo Mang Inasals
2nd Round, 14th Overall by Santa Lucia Realty

MARK ANTHONY CUEVAS - Taguig Batang Global
2nd Round, 18th Overall by Red Bull

CHRISTIAN CABATU - Ilocos Sur Brave Hearts
2nd Round, 20th Overall by Santa Lucia Realty

The_Big_Cat
09-01-2008, 10:10 AM
Talk N' Text boosted their guard lineup with the young additions of PCU's Jason Castro and San Beda's Pong Escobal.
Remember, Jimmy Alapag is 31 while Ritualo is 29. Castro and Escobal will bring youth and championship experience to TNT's already awesome backcourt. Definitely Ferreira has to go.

Air21 got Cholo Villanueva. An excellent backup for Gary David. What I don't understand is their selection to Mark Borboran. Air21 is already loaded with players in the shooting forward position. You have Arwind Santos, Nino Canaleta and JC Intal. One of them has to go.

Alaska got two versatile big guards in Kelvin Dela Pena and Solomon Mercado. Both are in the same mold as Willie Miller. I guess Alaska has now got a replacement for the aging Jeffrey Cariaso.

San Miguel got even bigger with the acquisition of Jay Washington. They already have veteran big men in Danny Ildefonso and Dorian Pena plus incoming sophomores Sam Eman and Ken Bono. San Miguel also got a flashy guard in Bon Custodio. Custodio could take the place for the aging Olsen Racela.

Sta. Lucia got Kelvin Gregorio, Chito Jaime and Christian Cabatu. Gregorio and Jaime will bring youth and mobility in the aging frontline of Sta. Lucia.

Joescoundrel
09-01-2008, 10:36 AM
Does Purefoods know something we don't? They selected Beau Belga ahead of Christian Cabatu and over Nat Cruz as a 5/4 prospect. Belga may have had a solid career as an amateur but I don't see him as a first round selection ahead of Cabatu and Cruz. Belga may have burnished his resume with championships won with Harbour Centre and PCU but he was never the star on any of those title teams. So if we were to go by sheer skill and talent how could he be better than Cabatu and Cruz? Cabatu is a little bigger than Belga and has a legitimate and consistent jumpshot. Cruz battles for every rebound and is way better operating in and around the low post.

Whoever Belga's agent is deserves to get at least 75% of whatever contract Belga gets as a first-rounder.

The_Big_Cat
09-01-2008, 10:49 AM
^I am not surprised to see Beau Belga in the first round. His style of play fits Purefoods.
In my mind, Belga is a good complementary big guy to another frontline player. Belga complemented well Gabby Espinas in their 2004 NCAA title run and for three straight years they made it to the NCAA Finals. When he was in Harbour Centre, he played extremely well alongside Rico Maierhoffer, Edwin Asoro or Rob Reyes.

Belga is a role player. A good passing big man. Purefoods is uncertain if they will resign Jondan Salvador whose contract just expired. Rommel Adducul will be making a comeback but he's not in condition yet. While Rey Evangelista has retired. The drafting of Belga will give more stability to their frontline. A good pick up for Purefoods.

thadzonline
09-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Belga's jumpshot from 18 feet and in is decent, I think he is a little underrated.

nicksy
09-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Belga is a good role player , he doesn't need to be a star when you got a james Yap in your line-up, Belga just need to rebound and pass the ball, as well post up once in a while.

joelex
09-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Belga has been much sought after by several PBA ballclubs way before drafting, he has the size and body to move around the paint in the pros. He is tough and wont back down on his man. He may not be the most gifted ball player but he has the tools to be a servicable big man in the PBA.

sa_pula
09-01-2008, 01:36 PM
na trade na si mercado+laure for joe devance.

abcdef
09-01-2008, 02:04 PM

Ano!? Nabigla ako dun ah. . . . :o

Biglang lumakas ang welcoat at alaska.

coreytaylor
09-01-2008, 02:25 PM
^^ yeah! im soo happy that mercado went to welcoat! sigurado ako, he will become a star in that team.

so, mercado was just a lure lng pala. galing din ng alaska hehe. pero kung ako ang susundin, mas mabuti siguro if they've traded dela pena rather than mercado. oh well, im sure mababangko lang din naman si kc sa alaska.

pio_valenz
09-01-2008, 02:32 PM
^ SMB gave up its rights on Jason Castro for Jay Washington?? Their lineup's already overflowing with bigs as it is!

I think it was TNT that initiated the move. Since they were drafting Dillinger and Rob Reyes, they needed to let go of one of their Fil-Ams since a team can only have a maximum of five Fil-Ams in its roster.

joelex
09-01-2008, 03:31 PM

they are overflowing with talent on all positions, haha

coreytaylor
09-01-2008, 04:11 PM
^^ overflowing but lacks team work

The_Big_Cat
09-01-2008, 04:35 PM

Caloy Garcia wants a run-and-gun style in Rain or Shine and Solomon Mercado is the guy they desperately wanted to partner with Gabe in the backcourt.

Tim Cone said that Mercado will be in the mold of another Mark Caguioa or a Willie Miller. And with the acquisition of Joe Devance, Cone said that Joe will definitely give them a big lift this year.

Schortsanitis
09-01-2008, 05:58 PM
^^ yeah! im soo happy that mercado went to welcoat! sigurado ako, he will become a star in that team.

so, mercado was just a lure lng pala. galing din ng alaska hehe. pero kung ako ang susundin, mas mabuti siguro if they've traded dela pena rather than mercado. oh well, im sure mababangko lang din naman si kc sa alaska.

I agree. On a weak team like Welcoat, Solomon Mercado has the potential to be a franchise player, or at least a very important player on that squad. He's got a lot of talent, and a lot of heart. Joe Devance is a really more of a softy, a very tall player trying to play SF, but with a mediocre perimeter shot.

joelex
09-01-2008, 06:21 PM
tnt did the best this off season, to date by acquiring Dilinger Castro Reyes and Escobal in the draft. I guess its time to trade ritualo now since I know chot doesnt have much use for except to spell mac mac, which is now uneeded with their draftees. imagine alapag-castro-cardona-dilinger-reyes, that would be really devastating in the open court and the dream lineup of Chot reyes who patterns his system after the USA pressure D run n gun style has come into fruition.

TNT always does well in terms of team roster building but translating it to W's has yet to be seen. Maybe this year?

stonecold316
09-01-2008, 09:56 PM
tnt did the best this off season, to date by acquiring Dilinger Castro Reyes and Escobal in the draft. I guess its time to trade ritualo now since I know chot doesnt have much use for except to spell mac mac, which is now uneeded with their draftees. imagine alapag-castro-cardona-dilinger-reyes, that would be really devastating in the open court and the dream lineup of Chot reyes who patterns his system after the USA pressure D run n gun style has come into fruition.

TNT always does well in terms of team roster building but translating it to W's has yet to be seen. Maybe this year?

I agree sir. Since they arrived in the PBA, laging loaded ng magaling na players ang TNT pero hindi ito nag translate sa maraming championships. Ang hirap rin kasi kung puro magaling ang players sa line-up, hindi kagad makapag adjust sa mga bagong roles na ibinibigay sa kanila. Lahat magaling pero hindi pwede maglaro ng sabay-sabay so sacrifices has to be made.

time1513
09-01-2008, 10:57 PM
i think that belga is way better that cabatu... c cabatu nga nde umabot ng pbl eh...

Does Purefoods know something we don't? They selected Beau Belga ahead of Christian Cabatu and over Nat Cruz as a 5/4 prospect. Belga may have had a solid career as an amateur but I don't see him as a first round selection ahead of Cabatu and Cruz. Belga may have burnished his resume with championships won with Harbour Centre and PCU but he was never the star on any of those title teams. So if we were to go by sheer skill and talent how could he be better than Cabatu and Cruz? Cabatu is a little bigger than Belga and has a legitimate and consistent jumpshot. Cruz battles for every rebound and is way better operating in and around the low post.

Whoever Belga's agent is deserves to get at least 75% of whatever contract Belga gets as a first-rounder.

coreytaylor
09-02-2008, 03:26 PM
^^ he is more better. kahit pangit ipinakita ni beau in the ncaa this season, aasahan kung malaki ma-cocontibute niya sa purefoods kahit limited lang minutes niya.

cub
09-02-2008, 10:34 PM
^^ he is more better. kahit pangit ipinakita ni beau in the ncaa this season, aasahan kung malaki ma-cocontibute niya sa purefoods kahit limited lang minutes niya.

more better? ;D Belga will give purefoods the intensity and the rebounding that it needs. IMO, iniintay na ni Espino at Pennisi tong si Belga. ;D

Get_Blazed
09-02-2008, 10:50 PM
^I am not surprised to see Beau Belga in the first round. His style of play fits Purefoods.
In my mind, Belga is a good complementary big guy to another frontline player. Belga complemented well Gabby Espinas in their 2004 NCAA title run and for three straight years they made it to the NCAA Finals. When he was in Harbour Centre, he played extremely well alongside Rico Maierhoffer, Edwin Asoro or Rob Reyes.

Belga is a role player. A good passing big man. Purefoods is uncertain if they will resign Jondan Salvador whose contract just expired. Rommel Adducul will be making a comeback but he's not in condition yet. While Rey Evangelista has retired. The drafting of Belga will give more stability to their frontline. A good pick up for Purefoods.

But Cabatu was really inconsistent for the CSB Blazers in Season 83, he was not up to our expectations. Di ko lang alam anu performance nya sa Liga.

And Belga was also bad for the PCU Dolphins this year. I dont think he even bothered to play.

Get_Blazed
09-02-2008, 10:54 PM
But with all said, congrats as another Blazer enters the Pro league! Sana masundan pa.

BTW, Welcoat ang biggest winner, no doubt. Mercado, Norwood, and Tang. Enough said.

coreytaylor
09-03-2008, 09:29 AM
more better? ;D Belga will give purefoods the intensity and the rebounding that it needs. IMO, iniintay na ni Espino at Pennisi tong si Belga. ;D

yeah, in my own point of view. if u think c. cabatu is more better than him, then it's fine w/ me. ;)

jet127
09-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Air 21 has a lot of quality wingmen now. Do you guys think JC Intal will be traded soon? Purefoods may have a slot due to rey evangelista's retirement....

bchoter
09-03-2008, 03:44 PM

I totally agree with you Joe. Belga sits back on defense and relies too much on his "gulang" or "scare" tactics which may work with hte young turks in the PBL but will definitely not work in the PBA. Cruz, on the other hand, is a workhorse. His only drawback is his love affair with the 3-point shot. But if he mix it up properly he'll be a good back up.

The good news is Red Bull can now freely negotiate with him.

bossman
09-03-2008, 06:22 PM

I totally agree with you Joe. Belga sits back on defense and relies too much on his "gulang" or "scare" tactics which may work with hte young turks in the PBL but will definitely not work in the PBA. Cruz, on the other hand, is a workhorse. His only drawback is his love affair with the 3-point shot. But if he mix it up properly he'll be a good back up.

The good news is Red Bull can now freely negotiate with him.

Cabatu and Cruz are definitely better than Belga. Its no comparison. It is just that Belga was given so much hyped that he doesn't deserve. All the publicity and winning of Harbour Centre helped him. His tactics would be laugh at PBA. He will not even given that much attention in PBA. I also saw that in his last few games with PCU, he had a very bad attitude. He would yell at his team mates. Threw tantrum to the coaches. With an attitude like that he will not go far. I have seen players like that before and they never took off..

joelex
09-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Dilinger is the real deal. He mocked the whole Alaska D in their tune up game earlier today. Scoring at all angles and versatile enough to play 1 2 3 and 4. Major score for TNT here. Could score in the 20's easily if he wouldve played in star deprived RoS.

Schortsanitis
09-14-2008, 12:41 PM
I remember last year, when during the Pre-Season Tournament, Joe Devance was scoring 30-points game in and game out. Come the actual season, though, he wasn't quite as effective.

As for Jared, I have to say I have been quite unimpressed with his game on local shores, despite his gleaming US NCAA Div. 1 credentials. However, he can always go out and prove himself on the court in the PBA, when the actual season starts.

time1513
09-15-2008, 04:28 PM
I remember last year, when during the Pre-Season Tournament, Joe Devance was scoring 30-points game in and game out.* Come the actual season, though, he wasn't quite as effective.*

As for Jared, I have to say I have been quite unimpressed with his game on local shores, despite his gleaming US NCAA Div. 1 credentials.* However, he can always go out and prove himself on the court in the PBA, when the actual season starts.

i saw jared play in one of the tune up games of TNT.... GALING!!! i think he and gabe has a lot of things to prove. dont base it on PBL or La liga.... i feel that they didnt give 100%.....

as for joe...... zzzzzzzz