PDA

View Full Version : Should Agents Be Banned From Watching Collegiate Leagues?

AnthonyServinio
11-22-2007, 01:29 PM
IT'S a given that some of these people are good friends of mine, but sometimes I think they should not be allowed to watch collegiate leagues live much more hanging around and fraternizing with collegiate players.

Some of these agents even get VIP treatment, being given access passes and choice seating by league or team officials. It can be likened to allowing vultures (in the case of the shady agents) to hover around their next meal. Heck, being good or bad does not matter as long as the person is an agent, he or she must be barred from being there.

In the US NCAA, a player or school can be penalized just for being in the same room with an agent, much more talking (even if it is not about basketball) with an agent. A player who contracts the services of an agent automatically forfeits his eligibility.

It's shocking that as early as high schools, some kids have agents disguised as "advisers" or "guardians"! We must protect the youth from unscrupulous characters

Hope this leads to the cleansing process of Pinoy basketball.

kaybee07
11-22-2007, 02:32 PM
A lot of young basketball players, particularly those from the provinces, are victimized by so-called "managers" who bind them to long-term contracts (I'm talking about 10 year deals!) and do not take care of these kids until it's time to collect their commission!

I'm with you on this, Anthony. I hope there can be ways to protect young players from selfish money-grubbing agents...

bchoter
11-22-2007, 02:38 PM
Agree 100% Anthony. College hoops should be rid of these managers. No matter what they say, in the end it's the "porsiyento" that counts with these agents. The kids' priorities will suffer as a consequence.

oca
11-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Dito sa atin this is a "profession" that is unregulated and informal. May accreditation ba ang trabaho nila, much less licensure? Wala.

You may know a person to be dealing as such, but if a ban is to be made on such grounds, malamang i-challenge yan. Now, would a league or event organizer go to the extent defending their act of banning said persons?

I agree with the "premise" of such ban. These people "corrupt the minds of these young kids".

Maganda pa, mag lagay kayo ng tarpauline sa venues na humihiyaw, "Agents, Salot!"

Pag hindi lumabas walang ban na uubra.* ;D ;D ;D

BedanRoar
11-22-2007, 03:31 PM
I remember during the NCAA mid 80's, there was this guy who would always be present during the Games. You would always see him talking with Patrimonio, Meneses, Alvarez and Other PBA material players. There was even an instance that i saw him handing out a brand new rubber shoes to Meneses, i think the guy was Nap Gutierez.

Yup, they were always around.

LION
11-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Basta pogi ang player andun palagi si Nap Gutierrez. ;D

And because of agents like Charlie Dy, gumulo ang buhay ng maraming players kagaya nina JR Reyes at Ogie Menor.

toti_mendiola
11-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Nap wants to nap with players.Parang me gusto siyang maganap. ;D

thadzonline
11-22-2007, 10:17 PM
bakit, ano ba ang reputation ni Charlie Dy? Siya pa naman sana ang napupusuang agent ng isang fil-for na kilala ko

mighty_lion
11-22-2007, 11:34 PM
I find this topic interesting. Kaya lang hindi ako maka-relate masyado kasi hindi ko alam directly kung paano ang siste ng basketball agents dito sa atin. Sa US, somehow oriented ako ng konti as I am also tracking top NBA prospects from college and high school ranks.

Seriously, banning these agents is not just a matter of saying wag ka dito sa loob ng venue. Sa TV ka lang. The imposition have to come from a legal pronoucements/decree. Dapat merong distinct law that will regulate who care the bonafide basketball agents and kung ano ang boundaries nila. Hanggat wala ito, malabo ang ideyang pag-baban sa mga agents. Much like sa showbiz, kahit me karapatang tayong sabihin wala kang karapatan or sumusobra ka na. Eh ano ngayon? ;D

Pero kung me congressman na nagbabasa dito or SBP member siguro. Baka sakali lang po me paraan.

BLUE HORSE
11-23-2007, 12:57 AM
A law need not be pass by Congress to shackle the so called vultures known as agents, street agents or "family consultants".* It is hard to police the agents from watching the organized games or simply running into the players.* Agents also do not have to go directly through players, they can reach the players indirectly through the parents or other family members, see former USC Trojans running back Bush who now plays for New Orleans.* Unscrupulous school officials and coaches can also influence the athletes.

What is needed is the education of the athletes in the high school level of the perils of street agents.* Secondly, there should be a pronouncement that can be enforced that dealing with agents may lead to suspension from competition and even outright banning from college or high school competition.* Pressure can be put on the school by stating that if proven a school will forfeit all record ; ie. won games, championship, suspension from competition, limitation on recruiting and number of recruits to be signed and shares from proceeds generated in games involving the school and suspected athlete.

In the States, said language is in the NCAA, NAIA and other college organization by-laws.* Each state high school sports organization also have a similar language.* With this in place, athletes and schools are put on notice that if rules are broken, there are consequences to be paid.* In the country, there is no central sports body that have this rule in their bylaws.* If they did, it is not enforceable.

I am not stating that the structure in the States cures all ills brought about by street agents.* We see such cases as Bush, Webber at Michigan and the basketball shoes scandal that involved Maggette and the Rush brothers to name a few.* People will find a way to circumvent the rules if money is at stake but certain safeguards are in place.* An athlete will have second thoughts of dealing with agents if they know that they may loose their eligiibility and they are not ready to hit the big time.* Schools will not deal with recruits if they know that the athletes are tainted.

danny
11-23-2007, 02:07 AM
Can anyone explain their modus operandi? ;D

BedanRoar
11-23-2007, 07:53 AM
Matinding ligawan, sweet talking until the agent gets the trust of the player and signs the player for his exclusive services. Ayun, pera na! Ang lowest take ng agent is something about 30% (commission) above the total income ng player.

LION
11-23-2007, 08:43 AM
bakit, ano ba ang reputation ni Charlie Dy? Siya pa naman sana ang napupusuang agent ng isang fil-for na kilala ko

If the player is still young and intends to enroll in a college or university and play college basketball, then stay away from Charlie Dy.

However, if the fil-for aspires to immediately play in the PBL or the PBA, Charlie Dy is perhaps one of the best agents in town. Your fil-for friend can shout to Charlie - "show me the money!"

toti_mendiola
11-23-2007, 08:53 AM

If the player is still young and intends to enroll in a college or university and play college basketball, then stay away from Charlie Dy.

However, if the fil-for aspires to immediately play in the PBL or the PBA, Charlie Dy is perhaps one of the best agents in town. Your fil-for friend can shout to Charlie - "show me the money!"

Like DYerry Acquired(assets) and not Jerry Mgguire.

thadzonline
11-23-2007, 09:06 AM

Well, I told my friend it's a risky move to jump straight to the pros or the PBL since he was not even scouted so I suggested to him to play at least 1 season of college ball so his game will be seen by scouts. Nagulat nga ako when suddenly nag appear sa kanyang Friendster profile si Charlie Dy..What about Danny Espiritu, is he a better agent?

GHRanger
11-23-2007, 09:22 AM
Agreed 100%. Agents should be banned from even talking to players until they graduate from college. Any agent who signs a binding contract with players should be penalized. But looking at it, anong penalty? Kawawa lang dito yung bata. What can the league do? Ban the player? Kawawang bata.

I think the SBP should deal with matters like this. They could also consider institutionalizing licenses/accreditation for agents. Another way is educating players not to fall for these tactics.

Bottomline, sa ganitong palakad, talo ang bata, talo ang eskwelahan, talo ang liga.

LION
11-23-2007, 11:19 AM
thadz,

Papuntahin mo sa Mendiola yung fil-for na kakilala mo. Tulungan ka namin. ;D

thadzonline
11-23-2007, 11:38 AM
@LION

sa Ateneo sana maglalaro kaso 2 years sit out for residency eh..he will be playing for USC in Cebu's CeSAFI next year..:-D

bchoter
11-23-2007, 12:22 PM
I think Danny Espiritu has a better reputation as an agent and mukhang mas maraming connections. Problem is because magaling siya madami din siyang wards so mejo shared sa marami ang attention niya. But I don't think there was any unsavory rumor or incident that is derectly attributed to him.

thadzonline
11-23-2007, 03:13 PM
di ba may guidelines ang FIBA concerning agents? ang alam ko that applies to international transfers, Im not sure if it should also cover yung local dealings ng clubs..and hindi naman siguro as much as 30% ang agent share, siguro ang standard niyan should be between 3 to 10% lang of the players contracts, grabe naman yung agent na humihingi ng 30%, kapal naman talaga ng mukha pag ganun

BLUE HORSE
11-24-2007, 01:22 AM
Usually, the agents fee is 3-5% of the players salary. Negotiable naman, specially if the player gets the maximum allowable. When the fee to the agent is 10%, the agent is expected to do more for the player like arrrange marketing deals and endorsements, pay the players taxes and bill, and investment advice. The player is risking a lot of his financial wealth if he leaves it to the agent to take care of his finances. The temptation is there for others to dip their hands into the cookie jar of the players.

Sobra talaga ang 30%. The agents are definitely taking advantage of the players ignorance to contract law. Then again, some players expect the agent to advance large sums of money so the players can support their lifestyle and that of his family until he hits the big time.

This is where influential alumni of the schools can help their star players. The alumni should be the support system for the players who are ignorant when it comes to contracts and money. The alumni can steer the players to reputable agents or lawyers to handle contract negotiations beneficial to the player.

AnthonyServinio
11-15-2011, 09:36 PM
In light of the brewing Semerad Scandal at San Beda, this thread has become relevant again. I call on the NCAA, NAASCU, UAAP and all the college leagues to enforce a total ban on agents and ban all athletes who engage their services.

tulf
11-23-2011, 04:54 PM
i agree!

yun semerad ang pinaka kawawa dito at yun agent ang pinaka happy dito!
whats the name of the agent again?
pero yun agent dito sa scandalong eto ay showbiz agent, not a basketabll agent. tama po ba?

maroonmartian
11-23-2011, 04:58 PM
In light of the brewing Semerad Scandal at San Beda, this thread has become relevant again. I call on the NCAA, NAASCU, UAAP and all the college leagues to enforce a total ban on agents and ban all athletes who engage their services.

Would this include those stageparents? Parents acting as agents?