PDA

View Full Version : Gian Chiu Watch : NCAA Div 3 Oberlin College

pachador
11-17-2007, 04:53 AM
There is a game tonight, Nov 16: Oberlin against Swathmore at 8 pm American time(central or eastern time?) then Haverford College versus Oberlin college tommorow , Nov 17:

http://www.swarthmore.edu/x1228.xml

Live statistics will be available here:

http://acadweb.swarthmore.edu/wp/athletics/2007/11/15/2007-equinox-classic/

irateluvmachine
11-17-2007, 05:13 AM
original link:
http://www.oberlin.edu/athletic/varsity/m_basketball/archive/2007-2008/mbb_recruits_082007.html

Oberlin Men's Basketball Program Announces Incoming First-Years for 2007-2008 Season

August 20, 2007 -- Oberlin Head Coach Isaiah Cavaco has announced that the Yeomen’s men's basketball program will be bringing in four new players for the 2007-08 season. The Yeomen's recruiting class includes James Tompsett (Chicago, Ill.), Patrick Bernhard (Sleepey Hollow, Ill.), Ryan Magiera (Louisville, Colo.) and Gian Chiu (Philippines).

"I feel that we are bringing in a very strong class that will fill a lot of our needs,” Cavaco said. "These are very good players that should be able to help us right away. They are all great additions, and I think they fit in well with the campus at large, while collectively being a great core class around which to build a program."

Tompsett has led the Middlesex (Mass.) basketball squad over the past two seasons. A 6-6, 215-pound forward, Tompsett is a very athletic and versatile big man. Tompsett received the Thomas Huckins Basketball Bowl given to the school’s top player and picked up All-tournament honors at the Huckins-Rouse Holiday tournament.

"James (Tompsett) is a tremendous athlete that has the ability to change games,” said Cavaco. "I was very impressed with his ability to block and alter shots on the defensive end as well as get on the glass and run the pick and role offensively. James has only scratched the surface of what he can do, and I look forward to seeing him develop into an all-around force in the NCAC.”

Chiu, a native of the Philippines, will become the only player of foreign descent on next year’s roster. Chiu came to the United States for his junior and senior years of high school in the Palm Desert, Calif. area and led the Christian School of the Desert basketball team to a CIF playoff birth in his final campaign. Standing 6-9, he earned all-CIF second team honors for his division and led his team in scoring, rebounding and blocked shots this past season. Academically, he was named a member of the World Quest Academic team that recently visited the nation’s capital. Chiu hopes to enter medical school after his days at Oberlin.

“Gian (Chiu) is an imposing presence in the paint on both ends of the floor,” Cavaco said. “We haven’t had size like this in the last three years, and he will add a whole new dimension to our team. He is very skilled with both hands, has great balance and is extremely long. I am looking forward to seeing what exactly Gian can do and helping him become a top player in this conference.”

Magiera, a Colorado native, was the catalyst on his Monarch’s team that went 20-7. Magiera led his team in rebounding with seven per game and also contributed 16 points per contest. Magiera was named first team All-Conference, second team All-Region and honorable mention All-State. He holds the record for field goals made in a season at Monarch High School, formerly held by current NBA player, Louis Amundson. Magiera balanced his career with Academic All-State honors.

"Ryan (Magiera) is unique player because of his ability to shoot and handle the ball on the perimeter as well as dominate the boards." said Cavaco. "He will be able to help us right away in several positions and I see him being a real impact in conference play over the next four seasons.”

Bernhard, after a very strong senior season in which he shot a blistering 46% from the three-point line, looks to bring both long-range shooting and solid defense to the 2007-2008 Yeoman squad. Noted for his hard-working demeanor, Bernhard was recognized by the Daily Herald as one of Fox Valley’s Finest “Three-Point Bombers” and “Best Defenders” as a senior. He was also named an Illinois State Scholar, McHenry County Area All-star and Fox Valley All-Conference Honoree.

“I am looking forward to adding Patrick (Bernhard) to our team,” Cavaco said. “I am very excited about having a guy that can really defend against the best guards our opponents have. He can really shoot the ball, but most importantly, he brings an element of toughness to our team. Pat’s a tremendous competitor with qualities you can’t teach.”

The Yeomen, who look to build off last season’s improvements, graduate only one player from the 2006-2007 squad, senior Quinton Spencer.

“I can’t wait to integrate this group with our returning team,” Cavaco said. “This is a quality class full of high-character, hard-working and dedicated young men.”

pachador
11-17-2007, 09:34 AM
game has started na click the 2nd link:

There is a game tonight, Nov 16: Oberlin against Swathmore at 8 pm American time(central or eastern time?) then Haverford College versus Oberlin college tommorow , Nov 17:

http://www.swarthmore.edu/x1228.xml

Live statistics will be available here:

http://acadweb.swarthmore.edu/wp/athletics/2007/11/15/2007-equinox-classic/

irateluvmachine
11-20-2007, 10:42 AM
not a very good debut for gian...0 points in 21 minutes, 0/7 shooting from the field and only one rebound. oh well...sana makabawi sa second game...

JonarSabilano
11-20-2007, 10:47 AM
not a very good debut for gian...0 points in 21 minutes, 0/7 shooting from the field and only one rebound.* oh well...sana makabawi sa second game...

The 2nd game against Haverford was much worse. Oberlin lost, scoring only in the 30's, and Gian played for only 8 minutes, going 0-1 from the field.

They have a home game on Thursday (Manila time) against Thomas More College.

pachador
11-20-2007, 12:47 PM
the only good excuse is if those games were exhibition games - pang-practice lang ;)

Schortsanitis
11-20-2007, 01:41 PM
It would be easier to score in practice games than in actual games.

JonarSabilano
11-26-2007, 09:36 AM
Gian had seven points, one rebound, one steal, and one block in 25 minutes in a 50-78 home loss to Wilmington College earlier.

JonarSabilano
12-15-2007, 09:53 PM
Gian started in a road win against Alma College, 62-57. His stat line: 8 points (4/5FG), 2 rebounds, 2 assist, 1 steal in 27 minutes of play.

Also, he bounced back from a foot injury in a win over Earlham College, 68-59. He had 6 points and one rebound in 13 minutes off the bench.

Both wins came on the road and are Oberlin's first back-to-back road wins since 2004. The Yeomen are 2-7 heading into NCAC play.

thadzonline
01-01-2008, 10:49 AM
January 2, next game ng Oberlin

JonarSabilano
01-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Gian started in a road loss to Kenyon College, 60-70, yesterday. He had eight points, six rebounds, and one block in 23 minutes of action.

thadzonline
01-25-2008, 03:55 PM
that 6 rebs was tied for team high numbers in rebounds along with Mike Loll

animo_mapuan
03-22-2008, 04:47 PM
mukang mhina lng tlga ang team na npnthan ni Gian. :D

gameface_one
05-31-2008, 09:53 AM
Chiu willing to play for RP team
THE GAME OF MY LIFE By Bill Velasco
Saturday, May 31, 2008
Philstar.com

Six-foot-ten Oberlin College center Gian Chiu wants to play for the Philippine mens basketball team. Chiu, a former Ateneo Blue Eaglet, is back in the country for his summer vacation after one season with the Yeomen.

I spoke to my coach about it before the season started, and he said it wouldnt be a problem if we know early enough, Chiu told The STAR. It would be an honor. I got a call to join the FIBA three-on-three tournament last year, but it didnt work out. Chiu, who led Desert Christian High School in California to a winning record in his senior year, was an A+ student before choosing little-known Oberlin, a Division III school, to pursue his dream of becoming a doctor. Ninety-eight percent of Oberlin graduates reportedly get their first choice of medical school, a big plus for Chiu, who was first spotted as a skinny 14-year old who already stood 67.

I know, youll say why Division III when it could be Division I?

Chiu continued. But the games are all basically the same. The only difference is the athletic ability of some of the players.

Gian bulked up this season after realizing that the college game was far more physical than the high school tournaments he played in. He scored a career-high 15 points in a loss to Kenyon College on Feb. 13. The rookie center made five of eight shots from the floor and five of six free throws.

Gian really stepped it up inside tonight against two players who will probably be all-conference at the end of the year, head coach Isaiah Cavaco said after the game. As a team we just need to continue to get better and learn from our mistakes.

Starting 21 of 25 games, Chiu, the only Asian player on the Yeomen, averaged 5.4 points and 2.3 rebounds logging 19 minutes a game, most of them at forward. The team is primarily built around 65 junior swingman Michael Loll NS 511 senior guard Jordan Beard, who combined for over 27 points a game.

Were a young team, and this was the first time we made the North Coast Athletic Conference tournament in eight years, Chiu added. I realized that I have to be more of a presence at both ends of the floor, the kind of player that, when the coach puts me in, the coach of the other team has to change their defense.

Oberlin lost to Wooster, 104-71, in the NCAC quarterfinals on Feb. 26. Not bad for a team that featured five rookies. Chiu, who is working out with Barangay Ginebra while in the Philippines, says he dreams of playing for the country, even while hes studying.

Ive dreamed of wearing the Philippine team uniform, says Chiu, who was discovered by a coach of the Golden State Warriors at a basketball camp in China. Im looking forward to the opportunity.

Given his size and training, Gian knows its a matter of time before he also gets offers to play in the PBA when he finishes his US college eligibility in three years. He still doesnt know, though, if he will put off his study of medicine for long. At Oberlin, they only play basketball five months of the year, and arent even allowed to train the rest of the school year.

I dont know, itll be a tough decision, Chiu admits. Ill have to think about that when the time comes. Right now, Im really just concentrating on my studies.

The question in the next few years will be just how strong the siren call of turning pro will be.

Schortsanitis
06-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Gian is reportedly in town. Anybody know if he's working out w/ any of the local teams here now?

pachador
06-04-2008, 01:58 AM
the article above says Ginebra

Gian is reportedly in town.* Anybody know if he's working out w/ any of the local teams here now?