PDA

View Full Version : 2008 NBA All-Star Game

gameface_one
11-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Sun set to shine on 2009 NBA All-Star Game

Agence France Presse

PHOENIX, Arizona - The National Basketball Association is expected to announce on Thursday that Phoenix will host the 2009 NBA All-Star Game.

The league and the Phoenix Suns have scheduled a news conference for Thursday morning with city officials, club executives and NBA commissioner David Stern on hand amid reports the deal is done.

Arizona's largest city last hosted the NBA All-Star Game in 1995. The desert region known as the Valley of the Sun also hosted the 1975 edition of the all-star showdown.

The 2008 NBA All-Star Game will be staged on February 17 at New Orleans.

yokam
11-08-2007, 12:24 PM
As early as now, here are my picks for the 2008 All-Star Game (discounting any injuries) starters:

East:

C - Dwight Howard (Orlando)
PF - Kevin Garnett (Boston)
SF - LeBron James (Cleveland)
SG - Dwayne Wade (Miami)
PG - Jason Kidd (New Jersey)

West:

C - Yao Ming (Houston)
PF - Tim Duncan (San Antonio)
SF - Carmelo Anthony (Denver)
SG - Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles Lakers)
PG - Steve Nash (Phoenix)

**If Kobe Bryant gets to be traded some time before the All-Star Break, Houston's Tracy McGrady is going to be my bet for the starting SG for the West.

gameface_one
01-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Garnett, Yao set pace in NBA All-Star voting

Agence France-Presse

NEW YORK - Kevin Garnett and LeBron James lead the way among voters for the National Basketball All-Star Game in balloting announced Thursday while Chinese center Yao Ming sets the pace among non-US players.

In the final update before voting concludes January 20, Garnett leads all players with 1,756,251 votes with James joining him in an Eastern Conference forward slot with the second-best vote total at 1,564,974.

Houston Rockets center Yao leads players from outside the United States as well as Western Conference centers with 1,255,263 votes.

Other Eastern Conference vote leaders for starting spots include Orlando's Dwight Howard at center with 1,456,898 and Miami's Dwyane Wade with 1,179,889 and New Jersey's Jason Kidd at guard spots with 868,069.

Kobe Bryant leads all Western Conference players with 1,441,333 votes with Yao's teammate Tracy McGrady next among West guards at 907,639.

San Antonio's Tim Duncan, from the US Virgin Islands, leads Western Conference forwards with 1,246,125 with Denver's Carmelo Anthony second with 1,218,106 votes.

aircanda
01-13-2008, 01:20 PM
my picks are..

EAST:

C - Howard
PF - Garnett
SF - James
SG - Hamilton
PG - Billups

WEST:

C -Yao
PF - Duncan
SF - T-Mac
SG - KB24
PG - Nash

Joescoundrel
01-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Because of the imperatives for the composition of the starting units - two guards, two forwards and a center - there may be some players who will get in mainly on voting strength and not necessarily for All Star-level play. In this case one of the West's starting guards will be Houston's Tracy McGrady. McGardy is still one of the best scorers in the game and is still very much a superstar, but his injuries have made him less than dependable overall as a player, thereby negating, at least in my view, his superstar status. That being said I would much rather have Phoenix's Steve Nash as the starter alongside Kobe Bryant of the Lakers. Nash is putting up numbers this year that are better than his two MVP years.

Reading Sam Miguel's recent column on the homepage, I also disagree with his choice of Baron Davis ahead of Allen iverson. Sure, Davis has matured into one of the best guards in the league and a real leader for the once-pathetic Golden State Warriors, but Iverson is the NBA's second-best scorer and is shooting at *gasp* a career-high percentage, meaning he has actually become a better player than even during his own MVP year.

Out in the East, as much as I myself love the new Big 3 of Boston, Ray Allen has become more of a distant third option in what has developed into a two-man pecking order in Beantown with Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce. And again with due respect to Sam Miguel, I would thus rather reward a player who, at least in my book, is the only real candidate for Most Improved, Orlando's Hidayat "Hedo" Turkologku. Turkologku is giving the Magic the kind of production now that they overpaid Grant Hill for those many years, at a fraction of the price.

Sam Miguel
01-18-2008, 11:55 AM
^^^

I picked Baron Davis ahead of Allen Iverson because of Davis' nearly nine assists per game, and because his team has fared better than Iverson's. Yes, Iverson has become a better player over the years, but the same can be said for Davis, and he is a bigger and stronger guard overall, exactly the type of player to match up against the relatively burly guards of the East like Dwayne Wade, Jason Kidd and Chauncy Billups.

I also wanted to get Hedo Turkologku for the same reasons, i.e. to reward him for his consistently high level of play so far this season. But the All Star game being a fan's showcase, it would not look too good if only two of the new Big 3 of Boston were in the highlight event. The NBA has made a big to-do over the new Big 3 and they are living up to all the hype, so why not bring them all together as well in the All Star game?

cub
01-19-2008, 12:29 AM
from what i've read in some forums, here's the temporary list of the participants in the slam dunk contest:

Dwight Howard (ORL)
Sean Williams (NJN)
Nick Young (WSH)
Jamario Moon (TOR)

i hope Gerald Green(defending champ) and Rudy Gay will be included in the line up..

mighty_lion
01-19-2008, 12:43 AM
Count Gerald Green in. He will defend his crown according to the reports.

cub
01-19-2008, 12:56 AM
yup. he's already in. Green said he has some dunks all ready to go. i wonder who will be dropped from the list..

mighty, do you have any idea on who will be the participants on the 3 point shoot out? will they include Rashard Lewis, Jason Richardson and Boobie Gibson? they are this season's leaders in 3point made..

mighty_lion
01-19-2008, 01:29 AM
^ Kung tutuusin maganda yong line-up sa dunk contest. Una silang lahat tapos gigibain ni D12 yong backboard sa huli. ;D

Wala pa akong nababasa regarding participat for 3pt shooting contest. I think the league is very high on Navarro (Memphis), Dequan Cook (Miami) and Bargnani.

tigerman
01-19-2008, 02:19 AM
I'm still hoping for a slam dunk contest that would feature the present best dunkers (VC, J-Rich, Mason, Kobe etc.)

Let's see if LeBron can compete with the above-mentioned dunkers. I simply hate it when NBA tv consistently puts him in the top 10 plays. Hanggang sa highlight plays eh may hype pa din. Alaga talaga ni David Stern eh.* ;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

cub
01-19-2008, 10:02 AM
^ tama ka jan.. nakakaasar nga kasi kahit one-handed simple dunk ni lebron eh sigurado nasa top 3 plays un of the day.. so much hype..

watch this dunk from Nick Young..
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IdTh1RPIVAU

aircanda
01-19-2008, 11:19 PM
^ tama ka jan.. nakakaasar nga kasi kahit one-handed simple dunk ni lebron eh sigurado nasa top 3 plays un of the day.. so much hype..

sir.. ok lang yun.. with authority naman ang dunk.. sorry na.. lebron fanatic eh.. hehehe ;D :D

john_paul_manahan
01-20-2008, 08:18 PM
people i want to see in the contests:

skills: cp3, tp9, bdiddy, deron, lebron, iverson, roy

3pt shootout: peja, james jones, boobie, shard, rip, nash, kapono, j-rich

rookies - kevin durant, jamario moon, juan carlos navarro, mike conley, yi jianlian, joakim noah, daequan cook, al horford, luis scola

sophomores - boobie gibson, brandon roy, rudy gay, paul millsap, jordan farmar, rajon rondo, kelenna azubuike, lamarcus aldridge, craig smith

dunk - jamario moon, gerald green, dwight howard, nick young

east starters: kevin garnett, lebron james, dwight howard, jason kidd, dwayne wade
east reserves: joe johnson, chris bosh, paul pierce, chauncey billups, rip hamilton, caron butler, richard jefferson

west starters: chris paul, kobe bryant, dirk nowitzke, tim duncan, amare stoudemire
west reserves: carmelo anthony, allen iverson, shawn marion, brandon roy, baron davis, chris kaman, carlos boozer

mighty_lion
01-20-2008, 08:50 PM

sir.. ok lang yun.. with authority naman ang dunk.. sorry na.. lebron fanatic eh.. hehehe* ;D :D

Not necessarily my own point of view pero sabi nila the mere fact that Lebron makes it look too easy makes it more difficult in reality. Kahit kay VC hindi ako agree ganun kaganda yong dunk nya nung 2000 All Star. Sakin the best parin yong kay J-Rich baseline behind the legs. ;D

dark_seid
01-21-2008, 08:26 PM
^^ i still remember 2 dunks by carter vividly. when he dunk coming from the baseline and jumping away from the rim, that was awesome. the catching the ball from a bounce pass from t-mac and going in-between to slam it was a bit okay, but the swagger in the posing after the dunk gave the whole package more oomph.

with lebron declining to join the dunk contest every year he has been in the league, i'm beginning to think he is overly conscious of his image (in the chance that he doesn't win). imo, too much "image is everything" gets a bit tiring.

the best recent dunk is still iggy's skywalking to catch an alley i toss pass off the back of the backboard and do a reverse slam all in one jump (plus running all the way to the tunnel at the other end of the court). it, together with magic johnson repeating ad nauseum (more like obnoxiously) "the slam dunk competition is back", was really a jump-off-your-chair moment.

cub
01-22-2008, 10:00 AM
here are the official participants in the 2008 NBA slam dunk contest

Dwight Howard
Gerald Green
Rudy Gay
Jamario Moon

mighty_lion
01-22-2008, 03:41 PM
May advantage si Dwight Howard in terms of crowd appeal. Dwight is the power dunker. Gerald and Gay are the finesse dunkers amongst the 4. But with all those names I feel this will end up as Jamario Moon's show.

Sayang si Nick Young. He should have been an addition. Last weekend I spent time watching college dunk contests. Meron syang highlight dunk dun na baseline drive 360 behind the rim sabay reverse behind the back and dukot dunk. He made it look too easy as if no effort at all. :o

CM_Punk
01-22-2008, 04:22 PM
I hope Moon wins the dunk contest, or at the very least have the most memorable dunk of the event. His story is an inspiration for all struggling basketball players that they still have a chance to make it to the NBA one day, as long as they keep working hard to achieve their dreams. Of course, in the case of Moon, it sure helped that he can jump really, really high, and he plays decent defense :D

yokam
01-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Jamario Moon is my bet. This guy has been the most surprising thing in the NBA today. This guy can jump, really jump. A Slam Dunk Contest title will be an icing for the spectacular season that he's having.

I'm looking forward for a Jamario Moon and Andew Iguodala showdown soon.

bigfreeze_bibby
01-23-2008, 09:11 AM
Ako rin hehe I'll go for Jamario Moon pero tingin ko papalag si Gerald Green dyan and he needs to really improve his repertoire of dunks since Rudy Gay also has hang time and long arms that might just help him win the slam dunk title. Same ang body structure ni Gay and ni Moon so mukhang may magandang bentahe yung dalawa. I like to discount Howard since he's only a power dunker. I bet if he can create something unless he gets an assistant ala-Amare with Steve Nash football header assist dunk hehe.

mighty_lion
01-23-2008, 10:17 AM
^ Suggestion for D12 for catchy power dunks:
- Break the backboard dunk
- Another sticker dunk similar to what he did last year. This time pasakayin lang nya si Vince Carter (or Spudd Webb) sa likod nya.
- Kiss the rim dunk again with VC at his back.
- Do ala Nate Robinson to Spud Webb dunk. This time si Shaq sa ilalim. No Spud Webb please, baka mapisa sya pagnagkamali.

Anyone of those... Its Ovarrrhhh ladies and gentleman! Its Ovarrh! ;D ;D

bigfreeze_bibby
01-23-2008, 11:02 AM
- Another sticker dunk similar to what he did last year. This time pasakayin lang nya si Vince Carter (or Spudd Webb) sa likod nya.
- Do ala Nate Robinson to Spud Webb dunk. This time si Shaq sa ilalim. No Spud Webb please, baka mapisa sya pagnagkamali.

Okay ako sa dalawang yan. Tingin ko mananalo na nyan si Howard.

john_paul_manahan
01-23-2008, 12:08 PM
speaking of dunks.

fan vote will be added in the mix for judging.

d-12 is said to do the kiss-the-rim routine.

aircanda
01-23-2008, 04:28 PM
- Break the backboard dunk

Anyone of those... Its Ovarrrhhh ladies and gentleman! Its Ovarrh!* ;D ;D

mag-ala michael finley na tumambling tapos magdunk.. ;D (finley ba un? ;D)

RockLobster
01-23-2008, 05:59 PM
^^i still remember 2 dunks by carter vividly. when he dunk coming from the baseline and jumping away from the rim, that was awesome. the catching the ball from a bounce pass from t-mac and going in-between to slam it was a bit okay, but the swagger in the posing after the dunk gave the whole package more oomph.

The 360-degree-against-the-grain slam by Vince was just as sick. The windmill reverse jam off a baseline drive in a game against the Pacers during his rookie year was a jaw-dropper. :)

mag-ala michael finley na tumambling tapos magdunk (finley ba un?).

I think you're right. Bounced the ball high and did a cartwheel before catching and dunking. Not sure though if he got away with it. But I remember it was a terrible cartwheel. ;D

tigerman
01-25-2008, 09:57 AM
TNT tip-off announced the starters for this year's all-star game

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Dwight Howard (Orlando)
Kevin Garnett (Boston)
Lebron James (Cleveland)
Dwayne Wade (Miami)
Jason Kidd (New Jersey)

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Yao Ming (Houston)
Tim Duncan (San Anotnio)
Carmelo Anthony (Denver)
Allen Iverson (Denver)
Kobe Bryant (LA Lakers)

My picks for the reserves

EAST
Chauncey Billups
Ray Allen
Chris Bosh
Caron Butler
Hedo Turkoglu
Joe Johnson
Richard Hamilton

WEST
Steve Nash
Chris Paul
Carlos Boozer
Brandon Roy
Amare Stoudemire
Baron Davis
Dirk Nowitzki

* Too bad VC's 8-year all -star streak ends. Well, he's not playing all-star calibre anyway. ;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

tigerman
01-25-2008, 10:01 AM

I doubt if VC would even attend the slam dunk festivities. Not unless the NBA coaches would vote for him as a reserve for the all-star game.

If only VC had the killer instinct and mental toughness of the Jordans, Bryants etc. He could easily be in the top 10 players of his generation. >:(

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

gameface_one
01-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Yao headed back to NBA All-Star Game

Agence France-Presse

NEW YORK - Houston Rockets center Yao Ming of China was voted into the National Basketball Association All-Star Game by fans for the sixth straight year on Thursday in balloting for the starters announced on Thursday.

Yao, who was unable to play despite his selection last year because of injury, will be joined in the Western Conference frontcourt by Tim Duncan, the superstar of reigning NBA champions San Antonio who will be making his 10th straight appearance in the mid-season showcase.

Boston Celtics forward Kevin Garnett led all players in votes received. Garnett, a 13-year veteran, is averaging 19.5 points and 9.8 rebounds in helping the 33-7 Celtics to the best mark in the NBA, one year after they finished with the second-worst mark.

Garnett will be joined in the East frontcourt by the Cleveland Cavaliers forward LeBron James, who leads the league with 29.5 points per game and will be making his fourth straight All-Star appearance.

Garnett received 2,399,148 votes, the sixth highest total in NBA All-Star balloting history and earned his 11th All-Star selection.

That's second among active players to Miami Heat center Shaquille O'Neal's 14 appearances.

But O'Neal, who is struggling through another injury-filled season with the disappointing Heat, saw a run of five straight All-Star starts come to a close.

Orlando's Dwight Howard, who was a reserve behind O'Neal last year, got the starting nod at center.

While O'Neal could completely miss out on the February 17 event in New Orleans, his teammate, Heat guard Dwyane Wade was named to his fourth straight appearance.

Joining Wade will be New Jersey Nets guard Jason Kidd, who has 10 triple-doubles this season and will be making his ninth All-Star appearance.

Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant, second in the league in scoring behind James at 27.4 points per game, will be making his 10th straight appearance.

Denver Nuggets guard Allen Iverson, selected for the ninth straight time, will also represent the West, along with Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony.

dark_seid
01-25-2008, 11:28 AM
* Too bad VC's 8-year all -star streak ends. Well, he's not playing all-star calibre anyway. ;D

add to that the end of t-mac's also!!!! woohoo!!!

pardon the enthusiasm, but the cousins just downright wasted away their talent and abilities. finally the fans also realized this.

mighty_lion
01-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Corny kasi ni VC. Last year meron syan option to join Orlando hindi pa kinuha. :-X Hindi pa sana naging disaster ang Orlando player contract situation by signing Lewis a pay-out bigger than that of KG. Right now I think New Jersey is working for a player swap deal that will send them Jermaine O'neal for VC. Pambira, kapalit mong player sa trade year-in year-out hirap pang makabuo ng kalahati ng season dahil sa injury. Desperado. ;D

Im a big fan of Tmac kaya lang accepted ko na pang-season games lang talaga sya. :-[

tigerman
01-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Ang iniisip kasi ni VC eh magiging maganda ang kalagayan ng Nets with a new and improved frontline. Aside from that, J-Kidd was coming from one of the best seasons in his stellar career, RJ is healthy and Krstic, well akala nila on the way to full recovery na din siya. Lastly, no offense meant to Dwight Howard but who would not want to play with Jason Kidd right?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

gameface_one
01-25-2008, 03:40 PM
Kevin Garnett tops voting for all-star game

Reuters

NEW YORK - Boston Celtics forward Kevin Garnett topped the voting for the NBA all-star game line-ups announced on Thursday.

Garnett, who will be appearing in his 11th all-star game received over 2.3 million votes, pipping LeBron James of Cleveland who will be the other forward on the Eastern Conference starting team, to be coached by Boston's Doc Rivers.

Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant led the Western Conference voting with just over two million votes.

Bryant became the youngest all-star in NBA history in 1998 and he will team up with Denver Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony, making his first career start in the showcase game.

Chinese center Yao Ming of Houston is the only non-American player named as a starter for the 57th edition of the game, which will be played at the New Orleans Arena on February 17.

Starting teams:

Eastern Conference - Kevin Garnett (Boston), LeBron James (Cleveland), Dwight Howard (Orlando), Jason Kidd (New Jersey, Dwyane Wade (Miami).

Western Conference - Carmelo Anthony (Denver), Tim Duncan (San Antonio), Yao Ming (Houston) Kobe Bryant (L.A. Lakers), Allen Iverson (Denver).

john_paul_manahan
01-26-2008, 06:52 AM
rudy gay has asked people to post their dunks on youtube. the best one will be what he will attempt to do on the contest.

mighty_lion
01-26-2008, 07:12 AM
^ Meron bang Canaleta dunk sa youtube? Bigyan natin.* ;D

Jamario Moon pa rin! ;D ;D

tigerman
01-28-2008, 09:32 AM
Did you see Hedo Turkoglu's dramatic game-winner over the Kg-less Celtics?

I'm not exactly a fan of him but that shot should further justify his inclusion to the reserves of the East all-stars.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

cub
02-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Pistons' Rasheed Wallace replaces injured Kevin Garnett on All-Star team
February 10, 2008

BOSTON (AP) -- Boston Celtics forward Kevin Garnett withdrew from the NBA All-Star game Sunday and was replaced on the Eastern Conference roster by Detroit Pistons forward Rasheed Wallace.

The announcement was made by the commissioner's office after Garnett missed his seventh consecutive game with an abdominal strain. Celtics coach Doc Rivers, who will coach the East in the Feb. 17 game in New Orleans, said Garnett will not play until the team returns from the break.

"He's out until after the All-Star break," Rivers said after the Celtics beat the San Antonio Spurs 98-90 to improve to 5-2 since Garnett was injured.

Garnett was averaging 19.2 points and 9.9 rebounds per game before being sidelined two weeks ago after straining a stomach muscle on Jan. 25 against the Timberwolves. He was the leading vote-getter for the All-Star game, but Rivers said that Garnett would probably not play Tuesday or Wednesday, in Boston's last two games before the break.

Rivers, who will coach the East in the game, said he hoped Ray Allen would be considered as Garnett's replacement.

"He should be (an All-Star) anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't Ray they use," Rivers said. "It would be nice to have Ray on. I would take Ray."

Wallace will join teammates Chauncey Billups and Richard Hamilton for the All-Star game New Orleans. It will be his fourth All-Star appearance.

Wallace is averaging 12.9 points and 7.3 rebounds this season, and leads Detroit in blocks and steals.

johnny_a
02-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Hindi ba mas deserving si Chris Bosh kesa kay Rasheed Wallace sa starter spot?

erichubert
02-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Rasheed replaced Garnett's spot on the team but not on the starting five. The replacement in the starting roster would be decided by the East's coach Doc Rivers. It would be safe to say that Bosh would be the one chosen based on stats. Plus it would be good for Billups, Hamilton and Wallace to enter the game together.

Still, I would much rather Richard Jefferson or Hedo Turkoglu replace Garnett. I think they deserve it more than a guy averaging 13 pts and 8 rebs whose only qualification really is his being on a winning team.

Mateen Cleaves
02-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Rasheed is the anchor of the second best defense (in terms of points allowed per game) in the NBA. He's still one of the smartest and best passing big men in the league. Season stats don't tell the real story with him. Check out his games against Duncan, Nowitzki ("He can't guard me!"), Garnett, etc. and tell me he isn't an All-Star talent. More importantly, Rasheed gives the East a true post defender to back up Howard. Without KG, the other East big men are too slight (Bosh) or too small (Jamison) to go against Duncan, Boozer, Stoudamire, Yao, and Nowitzki down low.

mighty_lion
02-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Contest tayo dito ng kung sino mananalo. Paramihan ng tama incase walang maka-grand slam:

West vs East: East
Rookie vs Sophomore: Sophomore
3pt Shooting: Jason Kapono
Skills challange: Chris Paul
Dunk Contest: Apollo 33

bydpogi
02-11-2008, 09:03 PM
West vs East: West
Rookie vs Sophomore: Sophomore
3pt Shooting: Peja Stojakovic
Skills challange: Chris Paul
Dunk Contest: Rudy Gay
;)

CM_Punk
02-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Looks like that infamous Youtube video of Chris Bosh worked in some weird sort of way, as he's likely going to be a starter for the East, now that KG is out with an injury. The forwards on the Western team though, are really a lot bigger and more accomplished compared to those on the East squad this year.

erichubert
02-12-2008, 04:42 PM
I am not saying he is not an all-star, heck I don't think anybody can say that Baron Davis, Josh Howard and Manu are not all stars yet they didn't make the team this year. The point is regardless of his value defensively or his being the leader of the Pistons, there are players more deserving than him. I just can't put him over Richard Jefferson or Hedo at this point. I understand the need for more bigs for the East but this is a fun game anyway, you can play any 5 on the court and it wouldn't really matter.

erichubert
02-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Rookie vs Sophomores: Sophomores
3 Pt Shooting Contest: Kobe Bryant
Skills Challenge: Chris Paul
Slam Dunk: Jamario Moon

dark_seid
02-12-2008, 05:46 PM
I am not saying he is not an all-star, heck I don't think anybody can say that Baron Davis, Josh Howard and Manu are not all stars yet they didn't make the team this year. The point is regardless of his value defensively or his being the leader of the Pistons, there are players more deserving than him. I just can't put him over Richard Jefferson or Hedo at this point. I understand the need for more bigs for the East but this is a fun game anyway, you can play any 5 on the court and it wouldn't really matter.

david stern just wanted to throw a monkey wrench into sheed's vacation plans and screw him out of a well-deserved break?? ;D ;D ;D ;D

mighty_lion
02-12-2008, 06:05 PM
^ They need someone who can dance well sa introduction ng line-ups (Sorry if your not familiar with Sheed's Tribal Dance). Remember wala si Shaq ngayon. :P

bydpogi
02-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Arenas Doesn't Believe Calderon Was Snubbed
February 11, 2008 - 6:40 pm
Gilbert Arenas/NBA.com -
In a recent NBA.com blog, Gilbert Arenas broke down the Shaquille O'Neal and Pau Gasol trade and also wrote about his thoughts on whether Jose Calderon was a true All-Star snub.

"Some people wanted Jose Calderon," wrote Arenas. "Jose Calderon? Who? Come on man, this is All-Star, people. When Iíve seen some of the names that are being thrown around on the ticker as snubs, itís killing me. I understand Calderon has the best assist-turnover ratio in the league, but you know whatís funny? All back-up point guards have the best assist-turnover ratios. Screw it, Kevin Ollie should be an All-Star then! For like five or six years, Ollie was No. 1 in assist-turnover ratio!

"An All-Star is an All-Star! Heís playing at a high level. That means, if you take him off the team, that team should fall down if heís that one guy. An All-Star means that he is dominating the game of basketball. Itís not even about numbers necessarily, itís about dominating.

"I could probably say that Richard Jefferson got snubbed maybe Josh Smith too. His 18 points, 10 rebounds and three blocks puts him at No. 14. Richard Jefferson is No. 13. Turkoglu is No. 15. But, El Calderon? Come on.

Gilbertology at its best! ;D

john_paul_manahan
02-13-2008, 06:06 AM
Rookie vs Sophomores: Sophomores
3 Pt Shooting Contest: Kapono
Skills Challenge: CP3
Slam Dunk: D-12

mighty_lion
02-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Bakit ako lang ang naniniwalang East ang mananalo? :)

Fun game lang ito kaya ang phasing mabilis at wala masyadong depensa dito. Dwight, Lebron, Wade and Kidd.

erichubert
02-13-2008, 11:48 AM
I feel that Chris Paul wouldn't allow the West to lose in his hometown plus he has Kobe in his side, a guy who wouldn't want to lose any game. In the end, it would really boil down to who would want it more, I think it would be entertaining at the start, but in the 4th quarter, the West will take it.

Nike Air
02-13-2008, 05:51 PM
Wala lang sana "phantom" kill joy calls just like what they did to Kobe in the 2003 all-star game. It was the game wherein Michael Jordan hit a possible game-winner prior to the "phantom" foul on Kobe which sent the game into overtime and the West winning eventually in the end.

john_paul_manahan
02-14-2008, 04:53 AM
people: all-star side events galore here in the philippines

feb 16: ALL-STAR party at the Prince of jaipur
feb 17: all-star sideshow at trinoma
feb 18: viewing party at the NSG

erichubert
02-14-2008, 09:39 AM
I just remembered that MJ joined the 3 pt shootout one year, and he performed terribly scoring only 7 pts before being eliminated, his teammate Craig Hodges won that year. Wonder if Kobe would perform as badly, I hope not, he is my bet to win it.

erichubert
02-14-2008, 09:50 AM
On another note, now that Kidd has been traded to the West, the problem with his all-star status now becomes official. He is slated to start for the East but now he is in the West, how would they settle this? I think they should let him play in the West as the 13th player and add another player to the East team. (Ray Allen maybe?)

dark_seid
02-14-2008, 02:52 PM
ray allen's replacing the injured caron butler for the game.

kobe's iffy with a bad finger.

erichubert
02-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Yes and Kidd to Dallas is stalled so he might remain East at least until the All-Star break. Kobe would most possibly skip the 3 pt shootout to rest that finger. I hope he completely rests even the finger and skip the all star game too. He needs the rest imho.

CM_Punk
02-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Unless they complete the blockbuster deal before Sunday, then Kidd remains a Net, and plays for the Eastern Conference team.

No Butler and KG for the East? The chances for the Eastern team to win the game aren't looking too good, even if Kobe doesn't play big minutes for the West.

tigerman
02-15-2008, 09:57 AM
Its possible that Kobe might not play at all in the all-star game.

Nowitzki in for Bryant in Foot Locker Three-Point Shootout

NEW YORK, Feb. 14 – Dallas Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki will replace Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant (dislocated pinkie finger, right hand) in the 2008 Foot Locker Three-Point Shootout, to be held on NBA All-Star Saturday Night, Feb. 16, at New Orleans Arena.

http://www.nba.com/allstar2008/dirk_kobe_080214.html

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

gameface_one
02-15-2008, 03:12 PM
Kobe plans to play in NBA All-Star Game despite injury

Agence France-Presse

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana - Kobe Bryant will play Sunday in the National Basketball Association All-Star Game but the Los Angeles Lakers guard pulled out of a 3-pointer contest after bad news about an injured finger.

Bryant learned Thursday that he has a torn radial collateral ligament and a plate injury at the first joint in the smallest finger of his right hand and doctors have recommended surgery that would bench the superstar for six weeks.

"My current thinking is to give my finger some treatment and rest for a few days and hope I can still continue to compete at a high level after that rest," Bryant said.

"I would prefer to delay any surgical procedure until after our Lakers season and this summer's Olympic Games but this is an injury that myself and the Lakers' medical staff will just have to monitor on a day-to-day basis."

An NBA statement Thursday said Bryant will play for the Western Conference in Sunday's 57th All-Star Game, but will be replaced by German forward Dirk Nowitzki of the Dallas Mavericks in Saturday's Three-point Shootout contest.

Bryant, last year's All-Star Game Most Valuable Player, leads the Western Conference and ranks second in NBA scoring with 28 points a game. His playing time figures to be reduced because of the dislocated pinky.

The Lakers have won four games in a row and are 35-17 at the mid-season All-Star break, challenging Phoenix and New Orleans for the best record in the Western Conference.

Obtaining Spanish star Pau Gasol from Memphis has helped spark Bryant and the Lakers in recent games but the Suns have countered by swinging a trade deal for former Lakers center Shaquille O'Neal.

The diagnosis and Bryant's desire to delay surgery until after the Lakers are done with the NBA campaign could mean trouble for Bryant's Olympic bid, either surgery before the Games or dealing with the pain while at Beijing.

Bryant figures to be one of the key point producers for the US team as the Americans try to bounce back from a humbling third-place finish at the 2004 Athens Olympics when they play at the Beijing Olympics in August.

Nowitzki, who won the 3-point event in 2006, will compete alongside reigning champion Jason Kapono of Toronto, Cleveland's Daniel Gibson, Detroit's Richard Hamilton, Serbian standout and two-time 3-point contest winner Peja Stojakovic of New Orleans and Phoenix guard Steve Nash, a two-time NBA Most Valuable Player from Canada.

aircanda
02-15-2008, 09:16 PM
Bakit ako lang ang naniniwalang East ang mananalo?* *:)

Fun game lang ito kaya ang phasing mabilis at wala masyadong depensa dito. Dwight, Lebron, Wade and Kidd.

sir.. ako.. malakas kutob ko.. east naten ang mananalo... LBJ pa lang eh ;D

cub
02-15-2008, 10:49 PM
what if Kobe will miss the ASG? who do you think will replace him?

for me, it would be Baron Davis. :)

tigerman
02-16-2008, 03:07 AM
Don't underestimate the East team if the reason is just because they will be no match up front. Remember the 2001 all-star game? The West then had Duncan, pre-microfacture Webber, Garnett, pre-microfracture McDyess, D. Robinsion, Divac, R. Wallace and Malone while the East only had Mutombo, A. Davis, A. Mason and G. Robinson.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

cub
02-17-2008, 11:52 AM
"he's a video game. he's not a real person".. - Kenny Smith pertaining to D12

Congratulations Dwight Howard! :D

coreytaylor
02-17-2008, 08:28 PM
Don't underestimate the East team if the reason is just because they will be no match up front. Remember the 2001 all-star game? The West then had Duncan, pre-microfacture Webber, Garnett, pre-microfracture McDyess, D. Robinsion, Divac, R. Wallace and Malone while the East only had Mutombo, A. Davis, A. Mason and G. Robinson.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

dude, it doesnt matter which team has the most formidable line-up. remember, its an ALL STAR GAME! DEFENSE IS ALMOST NON-EXISTENT in an All Star game! it's the highlights that matters most! its all about PLAYER SHOWMANSHIP and having fun! hehe peace!

coreytaylor
02-17-2008, 08:33 PM
what if Kobe will miss the ASG? who do you think will replace him?

for me, it would be Baron Davis. :)

thats a no brainer men... im a brandon roy fan but honestly, i think it should have been baron davis than brandon roy who should be playing in the all star game..no offense to brandon roy fans! peace!

tigerman
02-17-2008, 09:00 PM

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

dude, it doesnt matter which team has the most formidable line-up. remember, its an ALL STAR GAME! DEFENSE IS ALMOST NON-EXISTENT in an All Star game! it's the highlights that matters most! its all about PLAYER SHOWMANSHIP and having fun! hehe peace!

Re: my earlier statement
I posted that as a caution to those saying that the West will surely be winners tomorrow because of the absence of KG.

You don't have to lecture me about the all-star game. I know what you were trying to point here.

Peace I'm out Mr. Slipknot fanatic.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

mighty_lion
02-17-2008, 09:08 PM
Kadalasan naman sa all star game fun game lang for the first 3 quarters tapos magkakayarian sa 4th. Ang KJ lang na all star na naaalala ko si Ben Wallace dahil pinagbubutata nya si Yao Ming at Gasol pagkapasok. Kung sabagay, ano nga ba naman magagawa mo eh yun yong superstar skills nya. ;D

MonL
02-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Kadalasan naman sa all star game fun game lang for the first 3 quarters tapos magkakayarian sa 4th. Ang KJ lang na all star na naaalala ko si Ben Wallace dahil pinagbubutata nya si Yao Ming at Gasol pagkapasok. Kung sabagay, ano nga ba naman magagawa mo eh yun yong superstar skills nya.* *;D

No greater KJ was there than Kobe when he upstaged Jordan in his final All-star game. Jordan could have gone out with a blaze of glory and be remembered with that dramatic baseline jumper of his, much like Magic Johnson's last second heave in his final All-Star Game.*

But it wasn't meant to be, and that game would just be another "anything-you-can-do-I-can-do-better" pissing contest which is hardly remembered now.

stonecold316
02-18-2008, 12:31 AM
Ang galing ni Dwight 'Superman' Howard sa slam dunk contest kahapon. 6-11 pero ang taas tumalon at powerful ang mga dunks. Kung sana may player tayo na katulad niya baka may chance na ang RP team na manalo sa Asian Games at FIBA Asia basketball tournament. LOL. :D :D :D

Anyway, I'll go for the East to win the 2008 all star game. lamang nila I think will be 10 points or more.

stonecold316

tigerman
02-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Naglaro ng ilang minuto si Kobe. Pero pinalitan na din agad ni Coach Scott.

Mukhang di na siya babalik dahil nakabalot na yung kanang kamay niya.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

tigerman
02-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Highlight of the night:
Rasheed Wallace's using his left hand not once but twice while shooting the 3-pointer. ;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

mighty_lion
02-18-2008, 11:01 AM
Go East! ;D

cub
02-18-2008, 11:02 AM
gustong gusto maging MVP ni LBJ.. BOOOOOO! :)

gameface_one
02-18-2008, 11:12 AM
Orlando 'Superman' Howard wins NBA Slam Dunk title

Agence France-Presse

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana - Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard used a Superman outfit plus great creativity and leaping skills to win a spectacular National Basketball Association Slam Dunk Contest here on Saturday.

The flamboyant 22-year-old American was a runaway winner with 78 percent of the votes from viewers by internet and text messaging to defeat cupcake-aided 2007 winner Gerald Green of the Minnesota Timberwolves in the finals.

"It means a lot to me. This one was really for the big men," Howard said. "People say big men don't look good dunking. I really wanted to win it for all the big men. I love dunking - 90 percent of my shots are dunks."

Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant and Vince Carter were among the high-leaping heroes who excited crowds to win the slam dunk throne in past years but few stars have taken part recently. But the sparkle has returned with a vengeance.

"We decided we were going to1 add as much flair and personality to the dunk contest as we could this year. I think the dunk contest is back," Howard said.

It was the first time a high-tech vote system had been used to crown an NBA slam dunk king, although five former NBA greats such as Julius Erving and Magic Johnson who had judged the first round unanimously saw Howard as the winner.

Howard wore a blue Superman tunic and red cape on a first-round alley-oop dunk after having electrified the crowd by slamming in a left-handed dunk after first bouncing the ball off the rear side of the backboard.

"People like to see that. They don't want to see the same old dunk. People want something with some spice," Howard said. "This year all the guys tried to bring some spice to the dunk contest."

Howard, who will start for the Eastern Conference in Sunday's 57th NBA All-Star Game, received perfect scores of 50 for both first-round dunks to advance while Memphis' Rudy Gay and Toronto's Jamario Moon were eliminated.

"The first one I've been working on it for about two years but I could never really get it down. I had my legs under me and got it down," Howard said.

"The Superman dunk, I wanted to get the crowd into it, put some of my personality in it with the Superman cape. To make the dunk after that was unbelievable. The cape and the Superman outfit, I think it really worked."

Green had a cupcake with a single lit candle in the middle placed on the back iron of the rim in the first round and blew out the candle as he jammed the ball through the hoop.

"I figured he had something like that planned. I thought that was very impressive," Howard said. "At first I thought he was going to take the cupcake and try to eat it then make the dunk. If he had done that he would have won."

Green opened the final with a between-the-legs one-handed slam but Howard answered with a between-the-legs pass followed by a left-handed bounce off the backboard and a right-handed grab and jam move to a thunderous ovation.

"I didn't think I was going to do that dunk but I was getting a lot of calls from my friends and they said I've got to let the world see it," Howard said. "I had to do it."

Green took off his shoes and made a between-the-legs pass and dunk in sock feet but Howard finished by attaching a miniature rim to the bottom right corner of the backboard, placing the ball on the little rim, then grabbing it and making a windmill slam dunk into the real hoop.

mighty_lion
02-18-2008, 11:31 AM
98-87 East leading. 4 minutues to go in the 3rd Q.

Go East! ;D

tigerman
02-18-2008, 12:23 PM
East defeated the West 134-128.

LBJ is the mvp with 27,8 and 9. But it was Ray Allen who made the big plays down the stretch with his 14 points coming in the last 3 and a half minutes of the game.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

stonecold316
02-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Like I said, the East will win the All-Star game. Ang mali ko lang eh ang laki ng lamang. O I predicted 10 points or more pero 6 lang ang lumabas. Anyway, congratulations din kay Lebron for being named the MVP of the game. Sana lang co-MVP na sila ni Rey Allen dahil nung humabol ang West behind Paul's outstanding plays, it was Allen who made three successive three's to put the fire out of the West's bid to win the game.

Ganda talaga ng All-Star game. Ang mga slam dunk sa players parang lay-up lang. Three-pointers maning-mani sa kanila.

stonecold316

mighty_lion
02-18-2008, 02:33 PM
Tama kutob ko East mananalo. Usually kasi pag-mabilis yong laro at wala masyadong depensa mas lamang yung me magaling wing players.

joelex
02-18-2008, 02:53 PM
Naglaro ng ilang minuto si Kobe. Pero pinalitan na din agad ni Coach Scott.

Mukhang di na siya babalik dahil nakabalot na yung kanang kamay niya.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

dapat dyan pinalitan. marketing ploy lang talaga si KOBE.

Mikhail
02-18-2008, 03:13 PM
League policy dictates that if a player is healthy enough to play in the final game before the All-Star break and the first one after, he has too play in the midseason event.

james_ty
02-18-2008, 04:08 PM
I was at the All-Star viewing party at the National Sports Grill kanina.

Lia Cruz was there and she's really pretty!

flsfnoeraekadad
02-18-2008, 10:12 PM
Wala bang picture dyan nung poster dunk ni LeBron kay Dirk? Yung sa Yahoo NBA lang ang nakita ko e.

CM_Punk
02-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Dwight Howard was really going win the NBA dunk contest, as he showed the most creativity and flair of all the participants. I would have wanted to see Jamario Moon advance to the final round, but after a good showing for his 1st dunk, his 2nd dunk wasn't as good, and he got edged out by Gerald Green by only 1 point.

Jason Kapono was simply lethal at the 3-point contest, tying the over 20 year record of 25 points in 1 round. Next year, I want to see Kapono, Ray Allen, and Michael Redd, arguably the three best 3 point shooters in the league right now, competing against each other to see who really is best of the bunch.

john_paul_manahan
02-21-2008, 03:42 AM
james, kwento ka naman dyan...

Nike Air
02-21-2008, 02:07 PM
I was at the All-Star viewing party at the National Sports Grill kanina.

Lia Cruz was there and she's really pretty!

Pictures naman dyan pare ko.

aircanda
02-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Tama kutob ko East mananalo. Usually kasi pag-mabilis yong laro at wala masyadong depensa mas lamang yung me magaling* wing players.

sir mighty.. tama kutob ko.. panalo east naten.. hehehe.. mvp pa bata ko.. hehehe

aircanda
02-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Dwight Howard was really going win the NBA dunk contest, as he showed the most creativity and flair of all the participants. I would have wanted to see Jamario Moon advance to the final round, but after a good showing for his 1st dunk, his 2nd dunk wasn't as good, and he got edged out by Gerald Green by only 1 point.

I also agree that Dwight is a great franchise player.. He has this huge sense of humor and also plays good.. He'll be really a great face for a franchise