PDA

View Full Version : Cheers and Drumbeats

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

gameface_one
07-01-2006, 09:23 AM
The "Indian Yell" of San Beda counts as one of my favorites. Ganda talaga ng dating. Can our Bedan friends share with us a background of this cheer?

I also like the drum beats of "Go Uste!" and "Go Ateneo!" They really pump up the crowd. One can also feel La Salle's "Rektikano's" command of La Sallian tradition.

Can anyone share the basketball cheers of schools outside Metro Manila or the Philippines?

J.B.
07-02-2006, 12:02 AM
Our "Indian Yell" will always count as the favorite NCAA cheer not just by Bedans but it has earned the liking of non-Bedans as well.

Aside from the "Indian Yell" which I like for obvious reasons, my other favorite cheers are . . .

. . . Pogi Kami, Pangit Kayo Cheer and the classic . . .

. . . Iskwater Cheer! :D

but hey...we are trying now to stop the squatter cheer ;)

its a good start sana VS JRU pero everything just got out of hand against PCU :(

atenean_blooded
07-02-2006, 01:02 AM
In my biased opinion, the best cheers, drumbeats, and songs are from the Ateneo de Manila. Count the entire repertoire.

skywalker
07-04-2006, 12:55 PM
For me, it's the DUMDAM BUMALAKA especially the trumphet part.

"DUMDAM BUMALAKA"
Trumphet (3x)
ARRIBA LETRAN (3x)
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8

DOOMDAM DOOMDAM DOOM DARAH
BOOM BAM BUM BOOM BARAH
BUMALAKA BUMALAKA
WOW (3x)

CHIMALAKA CHIMALAKA
CHOW (3x)

L-E-T-R-A-N
Letran (2x)
ARRIBA LETRAN
Trumphet (3x)
ARRIBA LETRAN (3x)

Kid Cubao
07-04-2006, 01:47 PM
oh yes, the ARRIBA LETRAN cheer is a classic :) i remember my grade school days when ateneo was still in the NCAA and the games were held at the loyola center (now the blue eagle gym). the cheers and drumbeats of ARRIBA LETRAN! would resonate well into the prep wing.

Howard the Duck
07-06-2006, 04:43 PM
My top 5
1. SBC's Indian Yell
2. UP's Unibersidad cheer
3. UST's Go USTe cheer
4. Ateneo's Fabilioh cheer
5. Iskawater!!! cheer :p

Offtopic: Sino ba talaga nauna? Go baste o go uste???

skywalker
07-07-2006, 03:35 PM
I might be wrong, regarding the Go Baste cheer, i used to watched the NCAA and the UAAP during the 80's at the Rizal Coliseum. That time naririnig ko na yang Go Baste cheer way back mid 80's whereas in the UAAP walang pang mga cheerers that time. So base on this facts, im sure you will have an idea kung sino ang nauna, Go Baste or Go Uste.

arhtmahn
07-08-2006, 09:00 AM
A few of my choices in no particular order:
1.* "Go USTe!" by UST - fresh and modern. good contrast to the old-school cheers.
2.* "Enveloped Ideas" by FEU - edgy. pity the band doesn't play it anymore.
3.* "Build Me Up (Buttercup)" by DLSU - combined with the wave, brings back good memories of the 80's.
4.* "Strawberry Shortcake" by DLSU - combined with scantily clad cheerleaders also brings back good memories of the 80's.
5.* "Go LaSalle" and "Go Go Lasalle" (am not sure of the titles) by DLSU - easy to modify to suit derogatory purposes.
6.* "When The Saints Come Marching In" (sorry, don't know who has the franchise for this one) - great lilt. puts one in the mood... to march?
7.* "Indian Yell" by SBC - intimidating and oppressive. the ultimate classic.

The best alma mater song:* DLSU - no complicated words. easy to memorize. highly suited for transferees.

The best jeer:* ADMU (don't know what it's called but it goes: "Alsa la pata, LaSalle! Alsa la pata, LaSalle. Mal huevo, mal!") - simple yet elegant. triggered the institutionalization of Translation Studies.* "Manalo, Matalo, Bugbog pa rin kayo!" and "Ateneo de Manila, Basurero ng San Beda!" are close runners-up.

Out_Of_The_Blue
07-11-2006, 10:36 PM
I like UP's "Unibersidad ng Pilipinas." Intimidating ang dating.

5FootCarrot
07-12-2006, 07:34 AM
The "Indian Yell" of San Beda counts as one of my favorites.

In my biased opinion, the best cheers, drumbeats, and songs are from the Ateneo de Manila. Count the entire repertoire.

I like UP's "Unibersidad ng Pilipinas." Intimidating ang dating.
Agreed, agreed and agreed :)

Also - of course I have to represent the ladies - I also like the classic "Aeago" cheer from St. Scholastica's College. This was always the highlight of our pep rallies. And in line with St. Scho's reputation as a good music school, may second voice pa yung cheer. 8)

Alam namin
Alam niyo rin
Nakita niyo ba
Napansin niyo ba
Ang St. Scho ay narito na

Aeago, aea
SSC go, aea

Alam namin (Alam namin)
Alam niyo rin (Alam niyo rin)
Nakita niyo ba
Napansin niyo ba
Ang St. Scho ay narito -- na

ESCALERA JR.
07-12-2006, 10:14 PM
For me, it's the* DUMDAM BUMALAKA especially the trumphet part.

"DUMDAM BUMALAKA"
Trumphet (3x)
ARRIBA LETRAN (3x)
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8

DOOMDAM DOOMDAM DOOM DARAH
BOOM BAM BUM BOOM BARAH
BUMALAKA BUMALAKA
WOW (3x)

CHIMALAKA CHIMALAKA
CHOW (3x)

L-E-T-R-A-N
Letran (2x)
ARRIBA LETRAN
Trumphet (3x)
ARRIBA LETRAN (3x)

oh yes, the ARRIBA LETRAN cheer is a classic :) i remember my grade school days when ateneo was still in the NCAA and the games were held at the loyola center (now the blue eagle gym). the cheers and drumbeats of ARRIBA LETRAN! would resonate well into the prep wing.

There is another cheer which utilizes the trumpets more than the drums (just don't know the title) and accompanied by the clapping of hands in a ryhtmic military cadence... it goes like:

Tantantantararantantan...tantarantantantantan...ta ntaratantantan...tararararaaan...
boomboomboombum...boroom S>>J>>L>>C..SJLC...ARIBA LETRAN...!!!!
tantantantararantantan.....

Nakaka-indak! Sarap sabayan

mangtsito
07-14-2006, 04:13 AM
Could someone please post the words of UP's "Unibersidad" cheer?

I keep on hearing from posts in various fora how it supposedly intimidates opposing crowds ....but I honestly can't remember any distinctly intimidating cheer from the UP side from all of UP's matches I've watched live.

MonL
07-14-2006, 10:54 AM
razor's link allowed me to hear beda's indian yell for the first time. galing.

it's also quite refreshing to know that not all the school cheers out there are ripoffs.

paralusi,

Nothing beats listening to it in its live thunder and full splendor during games, specially when played properly and with full gallery participation.

admuhs_upengg
07-15-2006, 03:02 AM
Could someone please post the words of UP's "Unibersidad" cheer?

I keep on hearing from posts in various fora how it supposedly intimidates opposing crowds ....but I honestly can't remember any distinctly intimidating cheer from the UP side from all of UP's matches I've watched live.

The following is an excerpt from Sid Ventura's article in ubelt.com. Sid's take on it is right on, I couldn't agree more. "Matatalino..." is a sweeping generalization that is far from the truth, especially the varsity athletes. The U-ni-ber-sidad part with the clapping does look impressive when its done in unison by the entire UP gallery, but the rest of the cheer blows.

"That is why I say, from the bottom of my heart: please scrap that Unibersidad ng Pilipinas cheer. At the risk of offending my co-alumni and the current crop of students, I have been wanting to say this for a very long time. I cringe everytime I hear the UP crowd chanting “ma-ta-ta-pang, ma-ta-ta-li-no”, and I cringe even more when everyone puts extra emphasis on “matatalino”, as if they want to make sure the other crowd hears about it. It is pretentious and arrogant, to put it frankly. And it has nothing to do with basketball in any way. I don’t know, maybe I’m just getting old, but this is not the way UP brought me up. "

arhtmahn
07-15-2006, 07:56 PM
The following is an excerpt from Sid Ventura's article in ubelt.com.* Sid's take on it is right on, I couldn't agree more.* "Matatalino..." is a sweeping generalization that is far from the truth, especially the varsity athletes.* *The U-ni-ber-sidad part with the clapping does look impressive when its done in unison by the entire UP gallery, but the rest of the cheer blows.

"That is why I say, from the bottom of my heart: please scrap that Unibersidad ng Pilipinas cheer. At the risk of offending my co-alumni and the current crop of students, I have been wanting to say this for a very long time. I cringe everytime I hear the UP crowd chanting “ma-ta-ta-pang, ma-ta-ta-li-no”, and I cringe even more when everyone puts extra emphasis on “matatalino”, as if they want to make sure the other crowd hears about it. It is pretentious and arrogant, to put it frankly. And it has nothing to do with basketball in any way. I don’t know, maybe I’m just getting old, but this is not the way UP brought me up.* "

This is how I feel about shouting, instead of just singing, the "Win or lose, It's the school we choose." line of our alma mater song.* I understand that there was a time when we wanted to highlight the choosing because we were doing so much losing, but it just feel contemptuous at times.* When we win, it's as if we're rubbing their noses in it, and when we lose, specially when we lose, we shout more emphatically, pump our clenched fists more firmly and stand looking more defiantly rigid, consciously stressing the fact that we are Ateneans and the rest are not.* Sorry to ruffle some feathers, but sometimes it just reminds me of "last word" freaks who just have to get in the final say, regardless.

atenean_blooded
07-15-2006, 11:33 PM
arhtmahn:

It may interest you to know that Blue Eagle Spelling has been described by some (obviously very biased personalities) as "the last word in school cheers in the Philippines." We also make it a point to cheer it after the alma mater hymn. ;D

danny
07-16-2006, 01:24 AM
atenean blooded, tell us more about the Fabilioh? What is it about? Mga "koya" o elders (nyahahahaahaha ;D) lang namin ang nakarinig nito.

atenean_blooded
07-16-2006, 09:24 AM
Fabilioh is said to be the traditional "first volley" among the Ateneo cheers. It's also supposed to be one of our oldest cheers. I have no idea why it's called thhe "Jewish Yell."

The lyrics aren't really supposed to make sense, as far as I know. Do remember that these cheers were created during a time when only the Ateneo had a cheering squad, and was an all-boys school. To the opposing players, the opposing crowd letting out waves of sound that made no sense at all could prove to be disruptive to on-court communication. To the crowd, having to face wave after wave of sound like that was either intimidating or downright intimidating. Just ask Manny Pangilinan.

This cheer is still used today (the idiotic machinations of the Babble leadership notwithstanding... as if we will let tradition die). If you were there during the Ateneo-SBC exhibition match last December (and the other more recent one), we actually cheered this several times.

We actually cheer this cheer rather slowly nowadays, if only to get a slightly more rhythmic cadence. But just in the 80s and back, this cheer was performed much, much faster.

MonL
07-16-2006, 03:26 PM
atenean blooded, tell us more about the Fabilioh? What is it about? Mga "koya" o elders (nyahahahaahaha ;D) lang namin ang nakarinig nito.

Me pinatatamaan yata ang damuhong ito, ah....... :D

ESCALERA JR.
07-16-2006, 05:00 PM
How about the JRC half-time entertainmennt with the cheerleaders dancing while their band is playing that familiar tune. If only the Heavy Bombers were not perennial tail-enders, their cheers would have been nice to watch. I think Leroy Salvador(the actor) and Rosemarie Sonorra has got something to do with this during the late 60's.

LION
07-16-2006, 08:38 PM
atenean blooded, tell us more about the Fabilioh? What is it about? Mga "koya" o* elders (nyahahahaahaha ;D) lang namin ang nakarinig nito.*

Me pinatatamaan yata ang damuhong ito, ah....... :D

Koya wala kaming pinapatamaan. Curious lang talaga kami.

atenean_blooded
07-29-2006, 10:34 PM
I find the Indian Yell nice, but quite long, at least for my taste. I agree that the rendition yesterday was quite good. I think it's still the best cheer in the NCAA, though (unless CSB also uses La Salle's Boomakaya cheer).

The reason why I like the Ateneo's cheers is, aside from my obvious bias, is that they're not too long (the longest thing we have, I think, is the Locomotive Yell). In any case the short, quick yells are pretty effective. Best case in point is "One Big Fight," which is usually enough to stun the opposition, since what it makes up for number of syllables, it makes up in volume.

SIMBA
07-30-2006, 12:05 AM
posted by boredtoday in b.com. pls click the link

San Beda vs Letran Game Highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWqtwTfNvas

bluebruiser90
07-30-2006, 09:22 AM

How about the derogatory cheers of the '80's directed at SSC's Bong Alvarez: Al-va-rez, Al-va-rez, p_ _ _ _g _ n_ mo! (2x)

Of course the Baste crowd will quickly shoot back the same cheer directed at Art Ayson.*

Don't you just miss the NCAA of the early '80's? I tagged along with a couple of friends to wach the championships featuirng the Knights and the Stags and it felt like sitting on a keg of gunpowder ready to explode anytime.

lekiboy
07-30-2006, 11:56 AM

How about the derogatory cheers of the '80's directed at SSC's Bong Alvarez: Al-va-rez, Al-va-rez, p_ _ _ _g _ n_ mo! (2x)

Of course the Baste crowd will quickly shoot back the same cheer directed at Art Ayson.*

Don't you just miss the NCAA of the early '80's? I tagged along with a couple of friends to wach the championships featuirng the Knights and the Stags and it felt like sitting on a keg of gunpowder ready to explode anytime.

Bluebruiser,
From what I recall, this is the real rivalry - BASTE and Letran. I was in grade school then and up to HS, they are still in the battlefield. My batchmates sometimes just ride on with Letran in jeering Baste... Addition : Al-va-rez - g_go! Al-va-rez g_go!

bluebruiser90
07-30-2006, 01:06 PM
It was quite a rivalry. The stands would be smoke filled from firecrackers going off during game time. Rowdy as the crowd were, I don't really recall any untoward post game incident.

atenean_blooded
07-31-2006, 04:24 PM
I think the Ateneo de Manila set the bar for halftime performances yesterday. A classy, non-Wowowee performance featuring the loudest cheering squad, the dancing of our cheerdancers, and the best drumline in local college athletics.

That said, I think it's really disappointing that other schools such as UE, FEU, Adamson, etc. resort to copying cheers and drumbeats. This has been extensively discussed here before, with any of those who insisted that there's nothing wrong with ripping off cheers and drumbeats being unable to adequately substantiate their claims without resorting to any half-baked ad hominems.

I do not see how hard it is to create new cheers and drumbeats. Copying cheers and drumbeats speaks of an obvious lack of any real cheering (as opposed to Wowowee-esque halftime dancing) tradition, as well as a glaring deficiency in terms of originality, as well as a bereftness of delicadeza and respect for the (intellectual) property of others.

The BBB, for example, has confronted UE's squad for their terrible rendition of our "Get that Ball" cheer. The Ateneo gallery (even the La Salle gallery, in one Adamson-La Salle game) has reminded Adamson that they copied the "Go Ateneo" drumbeat by cheering accordingly. During halftime, we've also reminded FEU that their Salikadu is an obvious rip-off of both the Ateneo de Manila's Halikinu and La Salle's Rektikano cheers. FEU and UP have both ripped off La Salle's Zama Zipa Zam (although to be fair, both have adapted the cheer's last part, but that still doesn't cut it in my opinion). UE, aside from copying our Get that Ball cheer, has also copied La Salle's "Go Go La Salle" cheer.

As if that's not enough, UE's also copied UST's "Go Uste" drumbeat and choreography. They also unsuccessfully tried to copy our One Big Fight beat yesterday.

Of course, I do not need to elaborate much on how some UAAP cheers and drumbeats have been copied by schools in the NCAA and the other leagues (although the Lion's Roar of San Beda and S-J-L-C Arriba Letran things are supposedly original).

What makes this even more tragic is that these schools which insist on coyping the cheers of schools like the Ateneo de Manila, DLSU, and UST are actually capable of creating cheers and drumbeats which are, in their own right, quite interesting and original. Take for example, FEU's "Denger denger" cheer and "Less Go Tamaraws Less Go," or UE's "E-A-S-T" thing.

Kid Cubao
07-31-2006, 06:27 PM
you know what they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ;D

tingnan na lang natin kung sino ang magmumukhang engot pag nagharap ang orig at nangopya. that's the biggest argument why we should never give up on our traditional cheers. if we mothball any of them, you can be sure some other school will "borrow" those cheers and shamelessly make them their own. before we know it, certain vapor-brained students will make manifest their utter ignorance of varsity sports and their history by posting in message boards that they were first with this and that cheers. animo, este, ano 'kamo?

bluewing
07-31-2006, 06:54 PM
ang masama dyan, yung mga ignorante, kapag narinig yung original version natin, ang iisipin pa tayo ang gumagaya.

Wang-Bu
07-31-2006, 07:40 PM
E sa masarap gayahin, bakit ba?

ESCALERA JR.
07-31-2006, 08:34 PM
Alam ko maraming kokontra but 'm quite sure about this, the most copied drumbeat cheer is the S J L C Arriba Letran!

This Marching cadence cheer has been an original of the Letran Band eversince way back in the 50's or 60's but unfortunately, variations from other schools using this marching cheer has sprouted all over.

Variations of this marching cheer are: SSCR Bravo Baste; DLSU Animo Lasalle: SBCA...ADMU...UPHR...

Wang-Bu
07-31-2006, 08:38 PM
Alam ko maraming kokontra but 'm quite sure about this, the most copied drumbeat cheer is the S J L C Arriba Letran!

This Marching cadence cheer has been an original of the Letran Band eversince way back in the 50's or 60's but unfortunately, variations from other schools using this marching cheer has sprouted all over.

Variations of this marching cheer are: SSCR Bravo Baste; DLSU Animo Lasalle: SBCA...ADMU...UPHR...

Um, kita niyo na, sabi na kasing masarap gayahin e.

Parang 'yung DEE-FENCE na parating naririnig sa NBA at ultimo sa mga hardcore na liga dito sa'tin.

Parang musika, wawalo lang naman ang mga nota, imposibleng hindi nagkaparehas ang mga ilang tugtugin ngunit orig pa naman sila 'di ba?

OK lang 'yang gayahan.

Tutal mas may-utak naman ang Atenista at Lasalista e di gumawa ulit sila ng mga bagong cheer at tambulan. Para 'yan lang masyado chine-chest...

atenean_blooded
07-31-2006, 09:17 PM

Sige nga, what's the Ateneo version?

ESCALERA JR.
07-31-2006, 10:19 PM
I' ll have to watch your team play again sometime. Para kasi narinig ko din yung familiar drumbeat na yan (or was it the DLSU band i heard) the last time i watched an ADMU-DLSU game not too long ago. Correct me if i'm wrong... no big deal really...halos lahat na ata ng school band tinatambol ito.

lekiboy
07-31-2006, 11:07 PM
I would gladly give back the S-B-C-A to Letran as long as you ALL stop doing the LIONS ROAR... :)

danny
08-01-2006, 01:03 AM

This cheer is of a generic form. Its a traditional American cheer brought to the country by the American Empire and adopted by all the other schools. Letran is surely not the lone inspiration for this one. Unless of course you can prove that it was an organic creation of Letran.

danny
08-01-2006, 01:05 AM
ang masama dyan, yung mga ignorante, kapag narinig yung original version natin, ang iisipin pa tayo ang gumagaya.

Kasama,

Bakit naman magpapaapekto ang Ateneo sa mga iniisip ng mga ignorante. ;D

danny
08-01-2006, 01:13 AM
Um, kita niyo na, sabi na kasing masarap gayahin e.

Parang 'yung DEE-FENCE na parating naririnig sa NBA at ultimo sa mga hardcore na liga dito sa'tin.

Parang musika, wawalo lang naman ang mga nota, imposibleng hindi nagkaparehas ang mga ilang tugtugin ngunit orig pa naman sila 'di ba?

OK lang 'yang gayahan.

Tutal mas may-utak naman ang Atenista at Lasalista e di gumawa ulit sila ng mga bagong cheer at tambulan. Para 'yan lang masyado chine-chest...

Tingan ninyo ang "Indian Yell" ng San Beda, alang pwedeng gumaya .Masyado kasing buking kung gagayahin. ;D

danny
08-01-2006, 01:33 AM
It was quite a rivalry. The stands would be smoke filled from firecrackers going off during game time. Rowdy as the crowd were, I don't really recall any untoward post game incident.

Sa Harrisson kasi ang suntukan at sa Taft ang batuhan. Pockets of distrubance nga lang at hindi yung all out rumble.

danny
08-01-2006, 01:35 AM

Of course the Baste crowd will quickly shoot back the same cheer directed at Art Ayson.

Hindi lang 'yan, Ayson was "baluga" while Quilban was "ita". Tindi di ba?

bluewing
08-01-2006, 04:10 AM

Kasama,

Bakit naman magpapaapekto ang Ateneo sa mga iniisip ng mga* ignorante.* ;D

nakaka-irita lang.

parang lamok.

LION
08-01-2006, 07:19 AM

Escalera,

That cheer is not a creation of Letran. It is a generic cheer which originated from the US. Letran just replaced it with the letters of your school.

Ang obvious na ginagaya is the Lion's Roar.

oca
08-01-2006, 09:43 AM
Meron pang isa, yung..............

Um-baho-baho p3k-p3k.
Um-baho-baho p3k-p3k.

I don't know who would claim that as their's, but I do recall the Letran gallery in the 80s making a rendition of that with gusto. Usually done at halftime, while the opposing schools pep squad would do their routine. That time, Letran still had an all-boys pep squad. Pag kalaban nila ay may coed cheer squad tiyak maririnig mo yan.

Together with the expletive "Alvarez, Avarez, pvt@ng 1n@ mo.", I can still recall how Letran alumnus Freddie Webb and Jack Rodriguez would squirm in their seats upon hearing these "cheers". Napapa-iling na lang na halatang nahihiya.

By next season, di ko na nakita sina Webb at Rodriguez sa mga laro ng Letran.

danny
08-02-2006, 06:34 AM
Hay naku mga katototo, eto na lang ang pagpyestahan ng walang sisihan at turuan. Dito na lang mangopya ang iba ng "drumlines".

http://members.aol.com/Gridit/clips.html

Basta ang tambol ng "Indian Yell" sa amin. ;D

danny
08-02-2006, 07:16 AM
Meron pang isa, yung..............

Um-baho-baho p3k-p3k.
Um-baho-baho p3k-p3k.

I don't know who would claim that as their's, but I do recall the Letran gallery in the 80s making a rendition of that with gusto. Usually done at halftime, while the opposing schools pep squad would do their routine. That time, Letran still had an all-boys pep squad. Pag kalaban nila ay may coed cheer squad tiyak maririnig mo yan.

Together with the expletive "Alvarez, Avarez, pvt@ng 1n@ mo.", I can still recall how Letran alumnus Freddie Webb and Jack Rodriguez would squirm in their seats upon hearing these "cheers". Napapa-iling na lang na halatang nahihiya.

By next season, di ko na nakita sina Webb at Rodriguez sa mga laro ng Letran.

I remember that with the vocal intro of: tan tantan tantantantantantan! hey! Umbaho bahong P3k (squared). I remember both Letran and Baste doing that.

Baste would also sing their rendition of "When the Saints Come Marching In" (Baste first adopted The Saints as the school moniker then replaced it with Golden Stags).

"Poging Baste! Poging Baste! Haba Ti (squared)". With gusto also. ;D

Buti na lang wala nang ganyan.....kakahiya sa madla.

danny
08-02-2006, 07:50 AM
I find the Indian Yell nice, but quite long, at least for my taste. I agree that the rendition yesterday was quite good. I think it's still the best cheer in the NCAA, though (unless CSB also uses La Salle's Boomakaya cheer).

The reason why I like the Ateneo's cheers is, aside from my obvious bias, is that they're not too long (the longest thing we have, I think, is the Locomotive Yell). In any case the short, quick yells are pretty effective. Best case in point is "One Big Fight," which is usually enough to stun the opposition, since what it makes up for number of syllables, it makes up in volume.

It's long because its our rendition of the ceremonial Indian War chant. Imagine a group of face-painted Redskins dancing and chanting around a bonfire for several minutes the night before a battle.

It has its dowside of course which Ateneo's short One Big Fight is able to escape.

We do the Lions Roar during the game when the Indian Yell may not be appropriate.

I have to agree that sometimes short, quick yells are pretty effective. Animo San Beda! Beat ______! was one of our short yell derived from the longer 1950's cheer "Stand on the Grandstand".

That protion of the cheer was banned by our own Rector after you guys left for the UAAP. Masyado daw mapusok...parang naghahanap ng away. Ayan tuloy sabi ng mga bata batuta " Animo _____! Beat _______!" is theirs.

But no no no...the monks cannot stop us now... We will still shout" Beat _____!" like the old times.

;D

blanco
08-02-2006, 02:35 PM
6.* "When The Saints Come Marching In" (sorry, don't know who has the franchise for this one) - great lilt. puts one in the mood... to march?

Digging up its history won't let us put into a nice situation. But, the beat is nice.

It's from DLSU's.

5FootCarrot
08-02-2006, 02:53 PM
Google Search Break

The only time I have heard "When the Saints Go Marchin' In" in a Philippine basketball context is when La Salle turned it into "When La Salle Comes Marchin' In" or something like that.

The song, however, is not an indigenous La Salle tune. It started out as a gospel hymn and staple at Dixieland jazz funerals. I can't imagine how it went from the graveyard to the basketball court. I guess a La Salle fan liked the tune and adapted the least apocalyptic verse to suit the school's cheering needs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_The_Saints_Go_Marching_In

cub
08-02-2006, 06:31 PM
ah ok.. nakalagay naman po dun na correct me if im wrong eh.. :) anyway, thanks..
ndi ko naman sasabihin un kung wala akong source eh.. pero one of the pep told me na na-kopya nga lang daw nila un.. pero sabi niyo nga po na ganun ung history nun, sa inyo ako maniniwla.. :)

danny
08-03-2006, 12:58 AM
6. "When The Saints Come Marching In" (sorry, don't know who has the franchise for this one) - great lilt. puts one in the mood... to march?

Digging up its history won't let us put into a nice situation. But, the beat is nice.

It's from DLSU's.

From what I understand Baste adopted that Americna tune becuase they were formerly know as "The Saints". Kaya nga kinuha nila hook line and sinker ang kanta kasi "When the Saints ......." nga naman.

However, their usage of the Saints as their symbol defeated the purpose of giving Catholic schools non-religious monikers. So when they joined the NCAA, the Augustinian-Recollect fathers adopted the Golden Stags and the students changed the lyics to "Poging Baste, Haba......." ;D

5FootCarrot
08-03-2006, 10:26 AM
Even though it's clear as day that FEU's "Salikadu" is a ripoff an adaptation of Ateneo's "Halikinu," the word "Salikadu" still makes me think of the fairy godmother's song in the Disney version of Cinderella.

"Salikadu la menchkaboo la bibbidibobbidiboo..."

danny
08-04-2006, 01:19 AM
Even though it's clear as day that FEU's "Salikadu" is a ripoff an adaptation of Ateneo's "Halikinu," the word "Salikadu" still makes me think of the fairy godmother's song in the Disney version of Cinderella.

"Salikadu la menchkaboo la bibbidibobbidiboo..."

Ibang klase ka talaga! Naalala ko tuloy ang mga kalog na Kulasa naming barkada. Tinding mang-asar. nyehehehehe...

atenean_blooded
08-05-2006, 09:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT58fCFAxgI

atenean_blooded
08-05-2006, 10:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT58fCFAxgI

lekiboy
08-05-2006, 10:25 PM
Thanks ateneanblooded for the link. The video was clear, shining and new instruments, new uniforms and a lot of participation from your cheerleaders and band. It was my first time to see your half time number.

Though the logistics were awesome, I personally feel that the cheers lacks substance, impact and passion. All I heard very clear and close to very good was "Go Ateneo, ONE BIG FIGHT". It's just a little bit ....hyped. I hope you can share more cheers that we can see and compare with the rest of the other schools. It would be fun to see and hear the alleged copycats... :)

Though the cheers are good, I do not think it is phenomenal if we compare it with the Indian Yell and the Lions Roar. As for the drumline, let me assure you that I have not heard our band played the same beat or even similiar to that of Ateneo.

Again, thanks for the link.
PAX!

atenean_blooded
08-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Thanks ateneanblooded for the link. The video was clear, shining and new* instruments, new uniforms and a lot of participation from your cheerleaders and band. It was my first time to see your half time number.

Though the logistics were awesome, I personally feel that the cheers lacks substance, impact* and passion. All I heard very clear and close to very good was "Go Ateneo, ONE BIG FIGHT". It's just a little bit ....hyped. I hope you can share more cheers that we can see and compare with the rest of the other schools. It would be fun to see and hear the alleged copycats... :)

Though the cheers are good, I do not think it is phenomenal if we compare it with the Indian Yell and the Lions Roar. As for the drumline, let me assure you that I have not heard our band played the same beat or even similiar to that of Ateneo.

Again, thanks for the link.
PAX!

The audio feed's from Studio 23. The placement of microphones was terrible. Notice that volume is often uneven.

Raging Blue
08-06-2006, 12:21 AM
6. "When The Saints Come Marching In" (sorry, don't know who has the franchise for this one) - great lilt. puts one in the mood... to march?

It's from DLSU's.

This is how the repartee between Ateneo and La Salle went when both teams were in the NCAA:

La Salle: "Oh when La Salle (clap and drumbeat 4 times) comes marching in, Oh when La Salle comes marching in...."

Ateneo in response: " Nadapa! Nadapa!"

atenean_blooded
08-06-2006, 12:29 AM
I may be wrong, but isn't "When the Saints Come Marching In" (from which "When La Salle Comes Marching In" was derived) a song that used to be sung by black slaves, as a prayer for death?

5FootCarrot
08-06-2006, 05:49 AM
I may be wrong, but isn't "When the Saints Come Marching In" (from which "When La Salle Comes Marching In" was derived) a song that used to be sung by black slaves, as a prayer for death?

It was a jazz funeral song. I posted some infro from my Google search here (http://www.gameface.ph/forums/index.php?topic=325.msg12223#msg12223).

danny
08-10-2006, 01:34 AM

Would a prayer for death be considered a prayer for salvation? It might be in that context that La Salle and Baste adopted the tune. Any La Salista around here?

atenean_blooded
08-14-2006, 10:20 AM
Ateneo halftime performance vs. UST

AnthonyServinio
08-17-2006, 03:50 PM
When I was still a student, my favorite cheer was* . . .

WALANG PASOK . . . WALANG PASOK!!!

OR

NO CLASSES . . . NO CLASSES!!!

freak
09-12-2006, 09:53 PM
The best cheers come from UE..

.. plagiarized from other schools..
.. compilated from other schools..
.. borrowed from other schools..
.. basta! from other schools un lahat.. ;D ::) ;D

offside
10-04-2006, 01:41 PM
I started watching UAAP senior's basketball in 87. For some reason, I can only remember ateneo and lasalle having cheers at that time. I just want to ask those who remember, is this correct?

AnthonyServinio
10-04-2006, 07:08 PM
I started watching UAAP senior's basketball in 87.* For some reason, I can only remember ateneo and lasalle having cheers at that time.* I just want to ask those who remember, is this correct?
YES, because it was only the two mentioned schools that had a CHEERLEADING tradition to speak off, an offshoot from their days in the NCAA. Cheerleading only became trivialized when the other UAAP had to come up with "instant" cheering squads by harnessing their dance troupes thus prompting the rise of CHEERDANCING.

bluebruiser90
10-04-2006, 07:22 PM
I started watching UAAP senior's basketball in 87.* For some reason, I can only remember ateneo and lasalle having cheers at that time.* I just want to ask those who remember, is this correct?* * *

Pretty much.* The cheering tradition harks back to the old NCAA days.* San Beda College and Letran are two other old schools of cheering.*

How much of an islationist did Ateneo and La Salle feel during the eraly years when cheering was their domain, in the 1987 finals, Ateneo hugged the entire half time as their own with the Blue Babble Battalion leading 3/4's of the Rizal Coliseum in a cheering frenzy.* Same thing happened to La Salle against FEU and UE in '89 and '90.* I remember talking to some of the UE Warriors then and they said that the cheering of the crowd was frightening.*

Ateneo has been cheering in the UAAP since it joined the league but no other school followed suit.* Only after La Salle joined the league in 1986 were the half time battles revived.* The '88 championships was the centerpiece presentation that* pushed cheering into eventual tradition status in the UAAP as well. Other schools soon followed and as Anthony has mentioned, tapped their various dance troupes as the core building blocks.* UST always had the grandest cheerdancing routine in the UAAP courtesy of the Salinggawi Dance Troupe.

However, with the advent of halftime cheering and it's bastardized cousin, cheerdancing, in the UAAP, another tradition unfortunately had to die: the half time heckling of opposing players taking half time warm up shots in front of your team's bench.*

danny
10-05-2006, 01:06 AM
I started watching UAAP senior's basketball in 87. For some reason, I can only remember ateneo and lasalle having cheers at that time. I just want to ask those who remember, is this correct?

That is correct. The UAAP has no cheering tradition prior to the entry of Ateneo. :P

When La Salle finally entered the UAAP, they brought with them some of their own NCAA cheers and then some.....ouch!

Fortunately, many tradionalists are still alive. The traditional cheering schools from the NCAA and UAAP know what was taken from whom. However, sorting out the mess after years of brainwashing and selective memory loss would be a huge challenge. Mahirap gisingin ang gising na nagtutulogtulugan ;D

christian
10-05-2006, 12:57 PM
One retarded innovation that is killing tradition is the playing of the RECORDED alma mater hymn by some schools. No CD can replace an authentic school spirit. Never. You can try to* manufacture the illusion but still its just a bubble that will easily pop.

This is the Bedan Hymn by Sen. Raul Roco.* Long and complicated but every Bedan knows it by heart. Promise. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnpnQsGv0ts

Our face painting tradition? That's from the Sioux Nation as well.

Correct sir, I'm sorry but it is just down right ugly. It's like they're just doing it just for the sake of having one. Can't bame their players if they sing half heartedly.

LION
10-31-2006, 09:00 AM
^^^ The above video link gives the public a glimpse of the mighty Red Army and the expanse of the Red Sea.
This video link is also the best evidence that the Araneta Coliseum is Red Army territory. The more than 3/4 occupancy is not a myth. It is a fact.

danny
11-03-2006, 02:52 AM
^^^ The above video* link gives the public a glimpse of the mighty Red Army and the expanse of the Red Sea.
This video link is also the best evidence that the Araneta Coliseum is* Red Army territory. The more than 3/4 occupancy is not a myth. It is a fact.

;D. This is just the start of the uprising. What more if we can maintain the competitiveness of Team Animo in the succeedng years? What more if we can successfully imbibe the Bedan traditions to an exploding population in the coming generations? I'm Scared. ;D

May the Bedan Fellowship never cease.

danny
11-03-2006, 03:15 AM
Since this thread is about copying of cheers, I find a very clear resemblance between San Beda's Stand on the Grandstand (1950's) and UST's very recent cheer.* How come?

STAND ON THE GRANDSTAND (1950's)

Stand on the grandstand
Beat on the tin can
Who can?
We can!
Nobody else can!

Animo San Beda!
Beat <opponent’s name> !(3x)

Ahhhhhhhhh Fight!
Fight Team Fight!

UST's Version of San Beda's Stand on the Grandstand?

"Who's gonna beat them
stand up and meet them
Who can?
We can!
Go Fight and Beat them!

*Animo Tigers, Beat Ateneo!
Beat Ateneo! Beat Ateneo!"

*Animo Tigers? Since when? Or was this changed to Go USTE, Beat Ateneo?

Clarification from our friends from UST.

Personally, an acknowledgement from the YJ that it was inspired by San Beda's "Stand on the Grandstand" is good enough for me and probably the rest of the Bedan community. Hindi naman kami maramot. Besides it's really not unusual for good cheers to be adopted by different schools. However an acknowledgement is better than denial of the obvious.

As for San Beda, we recognize that Letran started the local version of the* letter cheer in the NCAA which inspired many schools to adopt their own. It's really not that hard to acknowledge the pioneers e.g. Blue Babble Batallion, the first Philippine collegiate cheering squad.
;D

LION
11-03-2006, 08:25 AM
Since this thread is about copying of cheers, I find a very clear resemblance between San Beda's Stand on the Grandstand (1950's) and UST's very recent cheer.* How come?

Stand on the grandstand
Beat on the tin can
Who can?
We can!
Nobody else can!

Animo San Beda!

Ahhhhhhhhh Fight!
Fight Team Fight!

"Who's gonna beat them
stand up and meet them
Who can?
We can!
Go Fight and Beat them!

Personally, an acknowledgement from the YJ that it was inspired by San Beda's "Stand on the Grandstand" is good enough for me and probably the rest of the Bedan community. Hindi naman kami maramot. Besides it's really not unusual for good cheers to be adopted by different schools. However an acknowledgement is better than denial of the obvious.

As for San Beda, we recognize that Letran started the local version of the* letter cheer in the NCAA which inspired many schools to adopt their own. It's really not that hard to acknowledge the pioneers e.g. Blue Babble Batallion, the first Philippine collegiate cheering squad.
;D

----------------------

Tama ka diyan Danny.

Hindi naman tayo maramot. It is enough for us that they acknowledge the origin of their cheers, rather than deny the obvious. Kung sa ganyang paraan tayo makakatulong sa ibang eskwelahan e di maganda. We are just one small community anyway.

bchoter
11-03-2006, 11:17 PM

Stand on the grandstand
Beat on the tin can
Who can?
We can!
Nobody else can!

Animo San Beda!

Ahhhhhhhhh Fight!
Fight Team Fight!

"Who's gonna beat them
stand up and meet them
Who can?
We can!
Go Fight and Beat them!

;D

----------------------

Tama ka diyan Danny.

Hindi naman tayo maramot. It is enough for us that they acknowledge the origin of their cheers, rather than deny the obvious. Kung sa ganyang paraan tayo makakatulong sa ibang eskwelahan e di maganda.* We are just one small community anyway.

I will try to get a clarification from one of the YJ's in USTex. The YJs acknowledge that UST cheer leading tradition is not as deeply-rooted as the Ateneans', Bedans', La Sallians', and Letranites'. Anybody who says to the contrary is probably a newbie in college hoops.

danny
11-05-2006, 01:33 AM
Thanks pare.

danny
11-05-2006, 01:44 AM
A question to all La Sallians.

Since when did you guys started playing the drumbeat of San Beda's Inidan Yell (1940's)?
Bedans heard the beat during your game with LETRAN in the Homegrown Cup.

magnum_motoki
11-05-2006, 08:28 AM
Yeah it sucks!!! I was watching it on tv and then all of a sudden the lasallites were playing the intro of san beda's indian yell!!!! I don't know what got in their minds but i guess the one year uaap suspension brought to a halt any sense of originality and fresh ideas....and to the greater extent...their sense of identity!!! Actually, they look and sound silly.

Animo San Beda!!!
Go San Beda Fight!!!

SIMBA
11-05-2006, 11:17 AM
A question to all La Sallians.

Since when did you guys started playing* the drumbeat of San Beda's* Inidan Yell (1940's)?
Bedans heard the beat during your <a href="http://www.bedista.com/theden/?s=game">game</a> with LETRAN in the Homegrown Cup.

what was even worst, they didnt play it once. they played the drumbeat of indian yell most of the game.

lekiboy
11-05-2006, 01:43 PM
pathetic and desperate.....copycats. >:( >:( >:(

danny
11-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Sige nga. Anong ibig sabihin ng ANIMO? ;D

danny
11-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Indian Yell drumbeat muna tayo bago Animo____ Beat _____ and then Lion's Roar.

Meron o walang Indian Yell?

danny
11-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Seeking apology from elder Bedans and our friends from La Salle.

Let's discuss things objectively to enable us to once and for all be illuminated with the migration of cheers.

:)

LION
11-06-2006, 11:34 AM
danny,

I remember reading somewhere that San Beda and La Salle used to join forces against Ateneo in the 60's and 70's.* If this is true, could it be that the joint cheering at that time is part of the reason for this"migration"?* :)

MonL
11-06-2006, 12:22 PM
danny,

I remember reading somewhere that San Beda and La Salle used to join forces against Ateneo in the 60's and 70's.* If this is true, could it be that the joint cheering at that time is part of the reason for this"migration"?* :)

Not exactly joined forces, just had the same sentiment then. ;D

danny
11-06-2006, 03:58 PM
We can just speculate how things got intertwined or connected.*

The similarity between the rain chant and San Beda's Indian Yell may not have been evident back in the 70s when La Salle was still playing in the NCAA.* Had it been back then, all hell would've broken loose specially during the fight-marred years in the NCAA.* How and when it became alike is anybody's guess.

teka... iba ang Indian Yell sa Lion's Roar. The Indian Rain Chant of Woodstock is supposedly your counterpart of the Lion's Roar.

The Indian Yell is longer with lyrics inspired by the Sioux Nation. The Lion's roar is that derived* portion of the Indian Yell which became "Woohooooho Go San Beda Fight!"

Here's a sample of the Indian Yell.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTuKXLfPWlo

You'e got to hear a clearer copy so you might recognize the "intro" drums of the Indian Yell.

lekiboy
11-06-2006, 04:11 PM
I asked my HS friends in SBC who went to La Salle, they have not heard of the rain chant...as for the Lions' Roar, only the oldies in La Salle know that it's not their original - it's San Beda's......the newer generation would always say that we copied it...hahaha...it's what my friends have heard as DLSU has not corrected it I guess --- within their ranks.

LION is right...since we have the roar and the indian yell way before DLSU left NCAA, the "alleged" imitation could have happened when DLSU were already in the UAAP....kung ginaya nung time na nandun pa sila sa NCAA,,,di lang siguro LEtran ang naka-away nila nun... :)

In the late 80s, I am already hearing DLSu doing their version of the Lions' roar...in the UAAP. I think we just got back to the NCAA after a 3 year vacation... :(

May I know nga pala how you call your version of the ROAR?

shyboy
11-06-2006, 05:29 PM
The Lion's roar is that derived* portion of the Indian Yell which became "Woohooooho Go San Beda Fight!"

Yes, I meant the Lion's Roar. Sorry, di ko pa kabisado tawag sa cheers ng San Beda. ;D

lurkinggood
11-06-2006, 05:39 PM
I asked my HS friends in SBC who went to La Salle, they have not heard of the rain chant...as for the Lions' Roar, only the oldies in La Salle know that it's not their original - it's San Beda's......the newer generation would always say that we copied it...hahaha...it's what my friends have heard as DLSU has not corrected it I guess --- within their ranks.

LION is right...since we have the roar and the indian yell way before DLSU left NCAA, the "alleged" imitation could have happened when DLSU were already in the UAAP....kung ginaya nung time na nandun pa sila sa NCAA,,,di lang siguro LEtran ang naka-away nila nun... :)

In the late 80s, I am already hearing DLSu doing their version of the Lions' roar...in the UAAP. I think we just got back to the NCAA after a 3 year vacation... :(

The three-year "sabbatical leave" of the Red Lions from NCAA might have prompted the cheerleaders of the Archers to adopt their own version of the Lion's roar. They were doing it in another league (UAAP) anyway, so they might have thought that there should be no harm. Now that both are once again crossing paths in a number of amateur leagues, let's listen who roars or chants the loudest.

One suggestion: When these two teams meet, can the cheerleaders of both squads synchronize the rendition of the cheer? Which one will be heard louder kaya... Go San Beda Fight or Animo La Salle? :)

lekiboy
11-06-2006, 05:48 PM

The three-year "sabbatical leave" of the Red Lions from NCAA might have prompted the cheerleaders of the Archers to adopt their own version of the Lion's roar. They were doing it in another league (UAAP) anyway, so they might have thought that there should be no harm. Now that both are once again crossing paths in a number of* amateur leagues, let's listen who roars or chants the loudest.

One suggestion: When these two teams meet, can the cheerleaders of both squads synchronize the rendition of the cheer? Which one will be heard louder kaya... Go San Beda Fight or Animo La Salle?* :)

then after this, we will discuss the use of the ANIMO...hahahaha...am just sticking to the topic...:):):)

anyways, good idea on who can chant the best and the loudest ....

teka....
again, how does la salle call its version??? Animo La Salle??? Name and sound - gaya pareho?* ;D* ;D

shyboy
11-06-2006, 05:49 PM
Di ko rinig yung Lion's Roar sa videoclip of the Indian Yell. *But I did hear the "Go San Beda Fight" cheered similarly with ADMU's "One Big Fight."

lekiboy
11-06-2006, 05:51 PM
Di ko rinig yung Lion's Roar sa videoclip of the Indian Yell. *But I did hear the "Go San Beda Fight" cheered similarly with ADMU's "One Big Fight."

You will not hear it in the Indian yell....the LIONS' Roar is a separate cheer.

shyboy
11-06-2006, 06:13 PM
If you listean carefully, yung "Go...San Beda...Fight" chanted several times towards the end of the Indian Yell is the same as the "One...Big...Fight" of ADMU.

LION
11-06-2006, 06:23 PM
If you listean carefully, yung "Go...San Beda...Fight" chanted several times towards the end of the Indian Yell is the same as the "One...Big...Fight" of ADMU.

The Ateneans are the proper persons to point this out.

We have had 2 or 3 games against Ateneo this year and we heard nothing from them about this. They themselves know the difference between the two, and that is the presumption until we hear from them. Kilala naman natin ang mga Atenista. They are very possessive when it comes to their cheers, and I am not saying that in a negative manner.

LION
11-06-2006, 06:29 PM
Sorry guys, I have to leave and attend to official functions. Good evening to you all.

danny
11-07-2006, 02:47 AM
Since the San Beda's Lion's Roar/La Salle's Indian War whoop is unresolved for the meantime in the eyes our Green friends, let's go to the meaning and usage of "Animo" when cheered.

I believe La Sallians already recognize that "Animo" was never a La Salle original. You guys gave it "commecial" popularity may be true. But your usage is still suspect, at least to us Bedans.

In fact, it was the Spaniards who came here* who used the Spanish Animo* first in Philippine soil. ;D

Shall we call it a Bedan original? Or an Ateneo original? Since the history of who used it first is a non-issue among elder Bedans, I will oblige and take the same position.

Just like the words go and fight in the American language, Animo is a very common Spanish expression in Latin America and Spain. Some Italians also use Animo.

P.S.

After the meaning and usage of Animo, let's proceed with the migration of* Animo San Beda! Beat opponent!.

danny
11-07-2006, 02:53 AM
What does "Animo La Salle" mean?

danny
11-07-2006, 08:14 AM
It is really inevitable that "cross-pollination", migration, and mixing up of SOME cheers will occur in Collegiate basketball. On the first place we only have one ultimate source of inspiration, the American cheering tradition.

We are just one small community of school partisans. Amidst this reality, we can still investigate the differences and commonalities.

It's really inevitable. An acknowledgement of the sources and insipration of our respective cheers is one way of showing sportsmanship. Hey there are only four schools in the country that can speak of cheering tradition, Ateneo, La Salle, Letran and San Beda.

Letran inspired us to make our own letter cheer SBCA in the 1970s. Letran pioneered this American cheer in the 1940s, giving it the Letran "twist and trumpets galore".

JRC's proto-cheerdance was San Beda's motivation to come up with the Little Indians. JRC was ahead of its time with their "cheerdancers".

Ateneo was the pioneer in organized cheering.

La Salle was the first school to sing the alma mater hymn after a game.

Let's not go back to the Dark Ages. Within Bedista.com, and at the risk of being accused of "sleeping with the enemy", some of the more mature Bedans are showing us younger ones( hehehe) that school spirit is not about putting down another school.

Kaya dito sa gameface, palo sa pwet ang mga Bedistang manggugulo ng matinong usapan. ;D

Now back to the discussion.

shyboy
11-07-2006, 08:32 AM
Animo is used by La Salle in the context of spirit or soul. *It's the La Salle fighting spirit being invoked when we cheer "Animo La Salle!" *There's a line in our alma mater song which goes "We'll fight to keep your glory bright and never shall we fail." *I believe chanting the Animo gets its strength from this line.

Yes, we have widely used "Animo La Salle!" in every aspect of the La Salle community. *From cheering members of our community in competitions, to giving praise and respect to our school, even with personal triumphs of La Sallians. *Some even evoke the La Salle spirit in times of death during a wake, that up to the end we give praise and thanks to the school (and to St. John Baptist de La Salle patron saint of teachers) which molded us to who we are.

danny
11-07-2006, 09:01 AM
Animo is used by La Salle in the context of spirit or soul. *It's the La Salle fighting spirit being invoked when we cheer "Animo La Salle!" *There's a line in our alma mater song which goes "We'll fight to keep your glory bright and never shall we fail." *I believe chanting the Animo gets its strength from this line.

Yes, we have widely used "Animo La Salle!" in every aspect of the La Salle community. *From cheering members of our community in competitions, to giving praise and respect to our school, even with personal triumphs of La Sallians. *Some even evoke the La Salle spirit in times of death during a wake, that up to the end we give praise and thanks to the school (and to St. John Baptist de La Salle patron saint of teachers) which molded us to who we are.

Thanks Shyboy.

This is where we differ with La Salle and Ateneo. Any Spanish speaker will recognize the Bedan way. We have remained faithful with the usage of "Animo" the way it is supposed to mean when cheered. Your meaning of course is correct in the context of discussing the "spirit and soul" of a school or even a saint.
Actually we understnd each other when we talk about animo this way.

But when ANIMO is used in a cheer, that's a differens story. In Spanish, when Animo is cheered it is meant to encourage soemone. It is directly translated into courage, have courage, chin up, keep it up.

Could it be that the Bedan way, the authentic Spanish way, was the original meaning of Animo La Salle?

To quote myself :D:

When we Bedans cheer "Animo San Beda!" we actually mean"Courage San Beda!" or "Have Courage San Beda!".

Since the beginning of time , we have remained faithful to this meaning which is consistent with an underlying Bedan theme, COURAGE. Of course the word "animo" when cheered also means cheer up!, chin up!, come on!. But we prefer courage and have courage to have consistency.

The Red banner, the Red Lion, the North American Indian, the Bedan Hymn and many other Bedan tradition speak of courage.

á·ni·mo
m.
1. - spirit
2. (energía) - energy, vitality
¡ánimo! - courage!
caerse los ánimos - to lose heart
dar ánimo a - to encourage
estar ánimos para (tener ánimos para) - to be in the mood to
http://yahooligans.yahoo.com/reference/dict_en_es/entry?lb=e&p=num%3As1510

Ánimo (Spanish m.) soul, mind, courage, intention
¡ánimo!, 'come on!, 'cheer up!'
http://www.dolmetsch.com/defsa7.htm

*ánimo* _m._ courage, spirit
http://www.mi-direccion.com/contigo-pan-y-cebolla/pan-y-cebolla-24.html

II excl ¡ánimo!, cheer up!
http://www.wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp?spen=animo

This is the way we use "Animo San Beda!" .

Animo used as a word of encouragement, in the context of cheering someone up.

Sometimes it is usefull to look for the definition of the words directly in its original languaje instead of a translation. Here are links similar to our usage:

We use ¡animo! to give courage. To encourage you to continue doing what you were doing.
http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2932

"Animo muchachas! Courage women!" Silvia tells her new team, slapping them on the shoulders. "We're going to win!"
http://www.sptimes.com/2002/07/07/Floridian/Away_games.shtml

There were people there cheering, saying “ánimo”, which means “courage” and I went downhill seeing some runners around 200 m ahead. Then, I went on to see some ugly industrial buildings at the entrance of Carboneras, a concrete factory and an electric plant.
http://www.runningcommentary.co.uk/forum/archive/index.php?t-253.html

ANIMO ("courage" en espagnol) est d'ailleurs un mot peint sur la pierre que l'on rencontre souvent sur le chemin. Impossible de rester mal en point au bord du chemin, quelqu'un s'occupera de toi dans les 5 ou 10 minutes qui viennent.
http://galice.net.free.fr/galice.net/camino_santiago_antoin.htm

¡Animo! Take Courage! A Pilgrim's Notes on El Camino de Compostela
http://www.loc.gov/catdir/toc/ecip0512/2005012906.html

People said “Ánimo, que ya queda poco”. “Come on, ( Courage ), it is nearly over”. I remember a boy sitting on a wheelchair, who seemed to have a brain paralysis, saying “Ánimo”.
http://www.runningcommentary.co.uk/forum/archive/index.php?t-1006.html

“Animo. Take courage. Soon we will be together in heaven.” With that I ask you to give you full attention to the following testimony.
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/2964/homily32Sundayc.html

Take notte that we are the only school with a Spanish cheer which goes like this.
El Colegio de San Beda Tiene que ganar! (Spanish Cheer)

El Colegio de San Beda
Tiene que ganar!

Animo, bravo, viva!
San Beda San Beda Arriba Luchar, zumbar, acudir Hasta morir

Adelante, Victoria
San Beda San Beda San Beda
Adelante, Victoria
San Beda San Beda San Beda

danny
11-07-2006, 09:07 AM
In other words:

"Animo San Beda!" means "Have Courage San Beda!"

Animo La Salle! is Spirit of La Salle?

Is this correct?

Thanks.

mangtsito
11-07-2006, 10:32 AM

Dude, huwag mo nang ipilit. Wala talaga eh.

shyboy
11-07-2006, 11:06 AM
That's how it is interpreted as I understand it. *We use it differently from the way you use it.

So you're saying when San Beda encourages someone, you say "Animo San Beda!" *

From my experience, we say "Go La Salle!" as a form of encouragement. *"Animo La Salle!" is used or cheered to call on the spirit of the school. *It is an indirect form of encouragement.

Could it be that the Bedan way, the authentic Spanish way, was the original meaning of Animo La Salle?

This I do not know. *La Salle was formed in 1911, way after the Spanish had left the country. *However, many of the early La Sallians, or La Sallites, were of Spanish decent. *Some in the La Salle crowd, specially several of the elders at courtside, do still converse in Spansih amongst themselves. *Maybe they have an idea how Animo La Salle was used back then, if ever it is interpreted differently from today.

Out_Of_The_Blue
11-07-2006, 11:22 AM

Dude, huwag mo nang ipilit.* Wala talaga eh.*

Agree. malayo talaga. Besides, our "One Big Fight" is often chanted with 2 clap beats. Mas mabagal ang rendition ng "Go San Beda Fight" and walang clap beats.

Out_Of_The_Blue
11-07-2006, 11:28 AM
I agree with danny and Lion. Wala namang masama kung aaminin na ginaya o kinuha ang inspiration ng isang school cheer from another school cheer basta't nagpapaalam ang kumuha o may acknowledgement na dun kinuha para malinaw lang.

Ang tanong: kaya ba nilang lunukin o aminin na gumaya lang sila?

Meron nga kaming narining na yung "Halikinu" raw namin e ginaya ang "Salikidu." - Kakapal talaga ng mga pagmumukha nila.

Sayang lang yung "Buttercup" nawala na sa La Salle. ;D Yan orig yan sa La Salle. Sila lang ang gumagawa ng Buttercup.

mangtsito
11-07-2006, 12:56 PM
^ I-revive nga natin yung "Fundador"

.... pustahan tayo ang kalalabasan niyan sa Morayta - "Emperador". ;D

shyboy
11-07-2006, 01:42 PM
I agree with danny and Lion. Wala namang masama kung aaminin na ginaya o kinuha ang inspiration ng isang school cheer from another school cheer basta't nagpapaalam ang kumuha o may acknowledgement na dun kinuha para malinaw lang.

Ang tanong: kaya ba nilang lunukin o aminin na gumaya lang sila?

Meron nga kaming narining na yung "Halikinu" raw namin e ginaya ang "Salikidu." - Kakapal talaga ng mga pagmumukha nila.

Sayang lang yung "Buttercup" nawala na sa La Salle.* ;D Yan orig yan sa La Salle. Sila lang ang gumagawa ng Buttercup.

Kanino yung Salikidu?

Mang_Roger
11-07-2006, 03:29 PM
^ I-revive nga natin yung "Fundador"

.... pustahan tayo ang kalalabasan niyan sa Morayta - "Emperador". ;D

He he he. Na over-boiled mga pinakukulo kong balut dun ha.

Mang_Roger
11-07-2006, 03:38 PM
Aminin lang kung sino ang tunay na naka-imbento at orihinal na gumagamit ng cheer ay sapat na.
Pagbibigay respeto ang tawag dun.

Huwag naman yung naka-imbento pa ang pagdudahan ang nangopya.

Gil_Andrews
11-07-2006, 04:40 PM
Looks like a healthy discussion here. It sems to me that whoever can prove or show the tradition or origin of the cheer from his/her school is rewarded with the "claim' over the cheer in contention.

Aren't we (young ones) at a disadvantage here? :D

demonyito
11-07-2006, 11:36 PM
actually we have more to gain...

let's all have the humilty to face the truth...

give credit where it is due...

AMDG / UIOGD

ANIMO!

danny
11-08-2006, 03:31 AM
That's how it is interpreted as I understand it.* We use it differently from the way you use it.

So you're saying when San Beda encourages someone, you say "Animo San Beda!"*

From my experience, we say "Go La Salle!" as a form of encouragement.* "Animo La Salle!" is used or cheered to call on the spirit of the school.* It is an indirect form of encouragement.

This I do not know.* La Salle was formed in 1911, way after the Spanish had left the country.* However, many of the early La Sallians, or La Sallites, were of Spanish decent.* Some in the La Salle crowd, specially several of the elders at courtside, do still converse in Spansih amongst themselves.* Maybe they have an idea how Animo La Salle was used back then, if ever it is interpreted differently from today.

When* we say "Animo Shyboy! " it* means "Have Courage Shyboy!" or "Keep it Up Shyboy!"

As the Spanish would say, "Animo muchachas!" that means "Courage women!"

Here's a ]http://www.sptimes.com/2002/07/07/Floridian/Away_games.shtml[/url]

Don't worry shyboy. I will not insist that your present understanding of Animo* when used to cheer is "incorrect".

That is for you guys to find out.* I have posted links on how it is used by Spanish and Latinos alike. Just read them and find out for yourselves . And yes, talk to the* La Sallites of old. The kastila and tisoys especially the pre-war La Sallites. You can also approach the language department of La Salle.

Animo, bravo, viva, arriba, vamos are all Spanish words of encouragement. In English, they mean: Keep it Up/Have Courage! (Animo!); Well done! (Bravo!) ;Long live! (Viva!); Hurray/Well Done! (Arriba!) ;and Let's Go! (Vamos!).* We use to say Vamos San Beda! (Let's go San Beda!) in* the pre-war era.

In the present NCAA:

Animo San Beda!
Arriba Letran!
Viva Mapau!
Bravo Baste!

All these cheers are used to encourage the respective teams. They are DIRECT FORMS OF ENCOURAGEMENT as against La Salle's INDIRECT FORM of encouragement.*

Encouragement. That's what cheering is all about. ;)

Again it is up to you guys to reflect on these things.

Finally, not a question but an assertion.

The stand alone cheer, ANIMO_________! BEAT ____________!, came from San Beda's "Stand on the Grandstand" which goes like this:

STAND ON THE GRANDSTAND

Stand on the grandstand
Beat on the tin can
Who can, we can, nobody else can
Animo San Beda
Beat <opponent’s name> (3x)

Ahhhhhhhhh Fight!
Fight Team Fight!

The cheer was already firmly entreched in the Bedan psyche by the 1950's. This was the decade when San Beda and Ateno were fighting for the Crispulo Zamora Cup.*Of course we got the Cup!

As Bedan verbal tradition goes, when it was* time to cheer the "Animo San Beda! Beat _______! "part, Bedans would raise their fists,then dirty fingers the opponent. This went on until the final years of the old NCAA. The Benedictine monks became horrified with this cheer.* Nagiging mapusok at nanghahamon na ng suntukan and mga Bedista. ;D

The* cheer was eventually banned but Bedans would not allow this. (Its' now back.* And we will force the Bedan administration to use the old form. Aba naman, tinaggal ang Beat_____! from the cheer.* No way.)

Everytime San Beda will meet Ateneo, Bedans insisted on shouting "Animo San Beda! Beat Ateneo!"* even without the cue from the SBCA . Syempre sasagot din ang mga Atenista.. tapos kakanta mga Bedista,"What shall we do when we all go out? Suntukan, bakbakan...." ;D

During times when you guys were battling Ateneo in the 1970s, Bedans would would start cheering "Animo La Salle! Beat Ateneo!".. then the rest was history.

Just to point out that this cheer which* we Bedans gladly shared with you guys* was a line in San Beda's* "Stand on the Grandstand".* ** However, if there is a La Salle cheer with the words "Animo ____! Beat _____!"* please tell us so that we* can rectify our error. ;D

Shyboy,

When our two squads meet, listen to the intro.* drumbeats of the Indian Yell. Judge for yourslef if one way or the other we may have inspired your PEP Squad.

To summarize:

1. Indian Yell drumbeat was heard during the La Salle-Letran match? - I suspend judgement on this one. Not that I do not believe my fellow Bedans but I am giving La Salle the benefit of the doubt.* Just be aware that Bedans will try to record the match and figure out if you are indeed using the Indian Yell Drumbeat.

2. Lions' Roar(Go San Beda Fight!)/Animo La Salle !-* I hope you guys recognize that fact that this is an Indian war whoop. Woooohoooooo....the Wahoooowahooo...It's a romanticized American Indian. Rain chanting is North American Indian inspired. Let us say you guys were indeed solely inspired by the Woodstock Indian Rain Chanting, despite your constant brush with the Bedan War Whoop for 22 years (1947 to 1969)* prior to Woodstock, I still think* it's absurd for a European inspired Green Archer to be doing* a North American tribal chant.

Anyway, ginagawa niyo na, may magagawa ba kami? Just questioning the logic and connection of Indian chanting with the La Sallian tradition. (Take note I am more open minded and would not want to accuse you guys in a neutral public forum of plagiarism).* Just raising doubts..

3. Animo - Our focus is not about who started using it first (Bedan elders prevailed upon as that it does not matter..yes masters.. ;D). Actually if we can qualify the statement , I somehow agree that in the context of an organized cheering (with an official cheering squad), Ateneo may have used "Animo"* first. As atenean_blooded* also pointed out in Bedista.com, this does not discount the possibility that Bedans (even La Sallians and Letranites) were* already using "Animo" * prior to the establishment of the BBB. Just like bravo, viva and arriba, "animo" is a fairly common Spanish word of encouragement.

You guys use it differently from us when cheered. Take note, when cheered. I think the divergence occured when the Kastilaloys were not anymore the dominant race in La Salle. You can research this one. We Bedans are still faithful to the Spanish meaning* of Animo* when cheered. (Read the dictionary links I've posted as well as excerpts on how it is used by Spanish speakers around the word.)

La Salle started using "Animo La Salle!" (with a different meaning and as an indirect cheer) extensively when you entered the UAAP.

4. Animo San Beda! Beat _______! - A line from 1950's Stand on the Grandstand. A line we gladly shared with you when you were up against Ateneo. The rest is history.* We did not copy La Salle as* those newbie La Salistas would say. Rather we gladly shared this line with you guys. As MonL would put it, the reason is that we have the same sentiments back then. Animo_____! Beat _________! originated from San Beda. ;D

Thanks shyboy for discussing these issues with us.

shyboy
11-08-2006, 08:49 AM
Hey, I think you misunderstood my post. I didn't mean to say your way of saying "Animo" is incorrect. All I wanted to impart was that both our schools use it differently. Heck, your way of using it may be the more correct way. Ours could be unorthodox. Like I said, I'm not an expert in Spanish. The La Salle elders are more in a position to discuss how "Animo La Salle!" was intended to be used before, if ever it is different from how it is said today.

As far as I know, our cheers with long gibberish chants like Rektikano, Zama Zipa Zam!, Boom-ma-kaya, are traditional La Salle cheers.

As for the short cheers in question, I am not in a position to say that they're authentic La Salle's or otherwise. For whatever it's worth, my gut feel tells me the "Animo La Salle! Beat _____" is not originally ours. We don't use it that often, except when against Ateneo or when in the Finals.

Other than these, I don't have anything more to lay on the table. It is nice, however, to understand the other cheers of NCAA schools as I'm only familiar with those in the UAAP. Though we didn't hear any when we met Letran, I look forward to hear San Beda's when and if La Salle faces them. It's difficult to appreciate the cheers, specially that famous Indian Yell, when simply written here. ;D

MonL
11-08-2006, 09:00 AM
4. Animo San Beda! Beat _______! - A line from 1950's Stand on the Grandstand. A line we gladly shared with you when you were up against Ateneo. The rest is history.* We did not copy La Salle as* those newbie La Salistas would say. Rather we gladly shared this line with you guys. As MonL would put it, the reason is that we have the same sentiments back then.Animo_____! Beat _________! originated from San Beda. ;D

A first hand account on attempted plagiarism nipped in the bud...

A year or two after Ateneo left the NCAA for the UAAP, some members of the San Beda band and cheerleaders back then foolishly experimented by adapting the brass band play of "One Big Fight" and combining it with "Go San Beda Fight!" in one NCAA game. They were hooted and waved off by senior SBC cheerleaders and enraged Bedan alumni watching that game, and that idea died a quick death. *:D * *Was it respect for other school's traditions or was it sentiments back then that killed that cheer experiment? * *:D * I'd like to lean on to the "respect" side. *;D

Out_Of_The_Blue
11-08-2006, 09:50 AM
San Beda at La Salle naman pala ang magkakampi eh. ;D

Kawawa naman pala kami......pinagtulungan.

Sa mga kapatid kong Bedista...buti na lang pareho padrino natin. ;)

Sana we can have games where the cheers will just be limited to those versions that were chanted during the NCAA years lang para tradition talaga.

Maglalabasan ang mga latin at kastila natin dito.

souljah_boy
11-08-2006, 05:08 PM
^^I share the same sentiments. I think Bedans of today should start practicing (and yelling) by heart the old school cheers. It would definitely be good for the community.

LION
11-08-2006, 05:12 PM
San Beda at La Salle naman pala ang magkakampi eh.* ;D

Kawawa naman pala kami......pinagtulungan.

Sa mga kapatid kong Bedista...buti na lang pareho padrino natin. ;)

Sana we can have games where the cheers will just be limited to those versions that were chanted during the NCAA years lang para tradition talaga.

Maglalabasan ang mga latin at kastila natin dito.

Out, nung panahon na yon ang mga paaralan natin ang talagang magkaribal sa basketbol, kaya pag kalaban ninyo ang La Salle o kahit sino pang team e kampi kami sa kanila. That explains why the Bedans then cheered Animo La Salle! Beat Ateneo! *Nung lumipat kayo ng La Salle sa UAAP, dinala na rin ng La Salle ang cheer na yan, pati ang Lion's Roar.

Dahil sa nag leave kami sa NCAA ng tatlong taon, yung mga sumunod na Bedista e naging ignorante sa cheers ng San Beda. At dahil sa parating kulelat ang team namin nung nagbalik kami sa NCAA, mas marami pang Bedista ang naging ignorante sa mayamang tradisyon ng San Beda sa larangan ng basketbol. Kahit ang publiko nakalimutan na rin ang San Beda sa kanilang kaisipan.

Ngayong pa lang kami nagtagumpay at kaakibat nito ay aming kinukuha ang mga tradisyon na sa kasaysayan ng larong basketbol ay parang dugong pula na nabubuhay sa Mendiola at puso ng lahat ng Bedista. Ang tawag namin dito ay - "Reclaiming the Animo!"

bchoter
11-18-2006, 10:21 PM

Stand on the grandstand
Beat on the tin can
Who can?
We can!
Nobody else can!

Animo San Beda!

Ahhhhhhhhh Fight!
Fight Team Fight!

"Who's gonna beat them
stand up and meet them
Who can?
We can!
Go Fight and Beat them!

;D

----------------------

Tama ka diyan Danny.

Hindi naman tayo maramot. It is enough for us that they acknowledge the origin of their cheers, rather than deny the obvious. Kung sa ganyang paraan tayo makakatulong sa ibang eskwelahan e di maganda.* We are just one small community anyway.

I will try to get a clarification from one of the YJ's in USTex. The YJs acknowledge that UST cheer leading tradition is not as deeply-rooted as the Ateneans', Bedans', La Sallians', and Letranites'. Anybody who says to the contrary is probably a newbie in college hoops.
Pareng LION, a member of the first batch of YJs says they never really knew the origin of that UST cheer. They think it was probably adapated by somebody from IPEA because that cheer was only handed to them. The YJ founder, a certain Michael Flores (not the showbiz has been), is looking into it.

I've already made a post that points to SBC's as the original version. The YJs are doing their part in clarifying this. Some of the older members are not against the dropping of this cheer in deference to San Beda.

fujima04
11-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Since this thread is about copying of cheers, I find a very clear resemblance between San Beda's Stand on the Grandstand (1950's) and UST's very recent cheer. How come?

Stand on the grandstand
Beat on the tin can
Who can?
We can!
Nobody else can!

Animo San Beda!

Ahhhhhhhhh Fight!
Fight Team Fight!

"Who's gonna beat them
stand up and meet them
Who can?
We can!
Go Fight and Beat them!

As for San Beda, we recognize that Letran started the local version of the letter cheer in the NCAA which inspired many schools to adopt their own. It's really not that hard to acknowledge the pioneers e.g. Blue Babble Batallion, the first Philippine collegiate cheering squad.
;D

----------------------

Tama ka diyan Danny.

Hindi naman tayo maramot. It is enough for us that they acknowledge the origin of their cheers, rather than deny the obvious. Kung sa ganyang paraan tayo makakatulong sa ibang eskwelahan e di maganda. We are just one small community anyway.

Pareng LION, a member of the first batch of YJs says they never really knew the origin of that UST cheer. They think it was probably adapated by somebody from IPEA because that cheer was only handed to them. The YJ founder, a certain Michael Flores (not the showbiz has been), is looking into it.

I've already made a post that points to SBC's as the original version. The YJs are doing their part in clarifying this. Some of the older members are not against the dropping of this cheer in deference to San Beda.

Further clarifications lang po, The Animo Tiger is not very recently cheer by UST. I've been in UST since the early 90's and UST have been using that since then.

Although, I'm ignorant also of how it originates or when was first used by UST. Same sentiments I felt when I first came to hear various claims regarding these two cheers.

Sentiments like why only now it is being raised after almost 2 decades from the first time it was taught to me. But these clouds had already been cleared after reading bits of history here as well as hearing the rise of SBC from 28 years of drought that prompts them to claim it back.

Nevertheless, I leave to the IPEA and YJ's to looked over how UST got this cheer and I would be gladly go with their decision as well as acknowledge SBC for the use of it.

zeroskills2000
11-19-2006, 05:01 PM
I think cheers, regardless on how traditional or historical they are, are ineffective unless you get the crowd fully involved.
That's what i like about the Indian Yell: Cheer with tradition, complemented by the Little Indians and the mighty Red Army. As i witnessed in game 3 vs. PCU. Most or all of the lower portions of araneta are red as most of the upper seats as well, while just a few blues are in the upper portions.

J.B.
11-19-2006, 06:12 PM
^See Fujima..easy ka lang bro...huwag mo seryosohin masyado ang PEX...mostly students or young alumni lang ang mga forumers dun while here in gameface, young and older generations of aluminis ;)

fujima04
11-20-2006, 11:32 AM
^See Fujima..easy ka lang bro...huwag mo seryosohin masyado ang PEX...mostly students or young alumni lang ang mga forumers dun while here in gameface, young and older generations of aluminis ;)

Thanks bro!

Yeah! you're right! It's better here!

Thanks again!

danny
11-21-2006, 08:28 AM
Fujima,

With regards to UST, it is only very recently that we noticed the similarity. UST was never on the radar screen of Bedans with regards to cheering since we still have this age-old bias of being pre-occupied with the traditional cheering schools. Our paths never really crossed for us to notice. ;D

Nope. WE are not reclaiming "Stand on the Grandstand" because it has always been part of the Bedan Tradition. It has always been with us. In San Beda, cheering is traditional. Cheering is among the tradition that binds the different generations of Bedans together. "Stand of the Grandstand" happens to be very close to the heart of Bedans, especially the upperclassmen. The last time we introduced a new official cheer on the list was in the 1970s. Pardon. Just to clarify, in the Bedan timeline, the 1990s is still recent history.

Being rooted in tradition also serves its purpose because we have more lyrical and longer cheers. Also, we are few (relative to the bigger colleges and universities) and we cannot afford to alienate one or two generations of Bedans by intorducing new cheers, even if they are short and easy to memorize. Call us old-fashioned but that's the Bedan way.

Not to worry. We are all together in this voyage of discovery..hehe parang Star Trek...Gameface is the best place for all of us to share our school taditions, history and lore.

Hey, we may even discover an older version of the cheer if something like that exists. That would be nice. (Well, pinoy cheering is really rooted in the American cheering tradition. We are all just local and brown version of this great American rah rah. ;D)

See you around.

MonL
11-21-2006, 08:34 AM
"Stand of the Grandstand" happens to be* very close to the heart of* Bedans,* especially the upperclassmen.

You are sooo kind with your words...... :D

danny
11-21-2006, 08:35 AM
Mga lashing na mga koya naten dito pow.. :D

danny
11-21-2006, 08:38 AM
"Stand of the Grandstand" happens to be* very close to the heart of* Bedans,* especially the upperclassmen.

You are sooo kind with your words...... :D

;D nyahahahaha... ;D

danny
11-29-2006, 03:47 AM
Why, of all schools did UST use* "Stand on the Grandstand" against San Beda? :o

It would have* wiser to use that against La Salle or Ateneo, but not against us Bedans.

Nasigawan tuloy kayo ng ilang alumni. ;D*

Unless you have proof that we copied the* 1950s "Stand on the Grandstand" on a Glowing Goldies cheer which is very unlikely. (Truth is, prior to the entry of Ateneo and La Salle in the 1980s, there was no such thing as UAAP cheering.)

Eto... matatandang alumni na nag "Stand on the Grandstand". Take note , matatada na ang mga yan. Matagal nang cheer yan ng San Beda. San Beda-Ateneo days pa na natabunan na ng kasaysayan...That's how ancient it is....simula pa nung three-legged Zamora Cup nung 1950s hanggang Loyzaga days ng 1970s...ngayon 2006 na, Bedista pa din ang cheer na yan.

Respeto naman. Gamitin niyo na sa iba, huwag lang laban sa San Beda. You don't like being copied.....but......

We asked you for the history of that cheer.* You have none to speak so far. If the your cheerleaders themselves have no recollection on the origin of your version; and the only explanation we heard is* that it was simply handed down to you guys, I say that by Occam's razor , it was copied from San Beda. That's the simplest expalantion there is.

To clarfy once and for all, what is UST's version of the history of this cheer? We may be wrong you know. Tao din lang naman. :D

Stand on the Grandstand by our* upperclassmen during a Bedan Powwow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2eLp6HpeNg

danny
11-29-2006, 04:12 AM
Still waiting for* UST's version of the story. Wala ba diyang Thomasian from the 60s, 70s o 80s man lang, na pwedeng mag-share ng kasaysayan ng Animo ________! Beat ________! version niyo. Nung Glowing Goldies days pa as against the new Animo Tigers! Beat _______! days.*

Animo? ;D

You curse those who copy you, but you brush away accusations that you have no originality yourselves.* Those who have no cheering tradition to speak have become the ones who act as if they are vanguards of the UAAP Cheering tradition which only started in the 1990s.

The "Stand on the Grandstand" is between San Beda and UST.* UST* copied San Beda.

You shouldn't have used that against us Bedans.

P.S.

Let's resolve one issue at a time. We will* evenetually touch the topic on DRUMBEATS. Similraties, migration and mutation among schools. ...hehe..drumbeats...hehe. :D Huwag kayong mag-alala, darating din tayo diyan. Malay niyo mabigyan din namin kayo ng pointers kung paano palakasin ang school spirit especially the singing of the School Hymn. Yung walang CD o tape ha..yung talagang kinakanta na galing sa puso...;D

danny
11-29-2006, 07:19 AM
Puso ko. O ayan relaxed na ako... ;D

MonL
11-29-2006, 07:24 AM

Ah, to be an "upperclassman"..... :D

Nyahahahaha!!!!

danny
11-29-2006, 07:30 AM

Nyahahahaha!!!!

But hey. We have Bedan elders around here. The upperclassmen of the now relaxed upperclassman...nyahahahaha..my lips are sealed..hehehe..

MonL
11-29-2006, 07:36 AM

Nyahahahaha!!!!

But hey.* We have Bedan elders around here. The upperclassmen of the now relaxed upperclassman...nyahahahaha..my lips are sealed..hehehe..

Touche' ;D

LION
11-29-2006, 08:19 AM
Still waiting for* UST's version of the story. Wala ba diyang Thomasian from the 60s, 70s o 80s man lang, na pwedeng mag-share ng kasaysayan ng Animo ________! Beat ________! version niyo. Nung Glowing Goldies days pa as against the new Animo Tigers! Beat _______! days.*

Animo? ;D

You curse those who copy you, but you brush away accusations that you have no originality yourselves.* Those who have no cheering tradition to speak have become the ones who act as if they are vanguards of the UAAP Cheering tradition which only started in the 1990s.

The "Stand on the Grandstand" is between San Beda and UST.* UST* copied San Beda.

You shouldn't have used that against us Bedans.

P.S.

Let's resolve one issue at a time. We will* evenetually touch the topic on DRUMBEATS. Similraties, migration and mutation among schools. ...hehe..drumbeats...hehe. :D Huwag kayong mag-alala, darating din tayo diyan. Malay niyo mabigyan din namin kayo ng pointers kung paano palakasin ang school spirit especially the singing of the School Hymn. Yung walang CD o tape ha..yung talagang kinakanta na galing sa puso...;D

Ka danny,

I think the UST cheering squad is not yet aware of the origin of this cheer.* Only a few UST alumni* are aware of it.

I was told that the cheering squad was even surprised when the San Beda crowd shouted about that "gaya gaya" thing last Sunday.* I am positive however that the UST cheering squad will not use that cheer against San Beda if they are enlightened about the history of that cheer.

I suggest that you just have to keep on enlightening our cousins in Espana about it.*

Cheers!* Start na ba ang winter* diyan?

fujima04
11-29-2006, 11:32 AM
Yeah! We apologize for the use of the cheer against San Beda.

Like what Lion said, most of us are really not aware that it traces it's roots from your "Stand on the Grandstand" cheer. Only a few ones who have been enlightened recently knows. It's true, the cheering squad were caught surprised. In other words, "natameme".

Bchoter had informed some of our fellows in ustexchange so we hope there would be no recurrence of such thing in the future.

Again, Our apologies.

mangtsito
11-29-2006, 12:22 PM
Note: I was typing this post before fujima posted his message. Looks like my opinion has already been mooted. ;)

======================

Just an opinion from a disinterested third party:

The popular UST attitude on this issue is avoidance.* Many Thomasians do not wish to make a direct admission nor do they wish to make a strong denial that they copied the disputed cheer.* The Thomasian crowd passes the question to the YJ ---> and the YJ passes the question to ---> an obscure body that supposedly created the cheers before the YJ was created.* In the end, the accountability is effectively killed off because no one wants to own up to the copying allegation.

It's not hard to understand this attitude.* Although UST cheering is quite young, they take pride in their originality.* True enough, with the exception of the disputed cheer, everything else in their arsenal does not show undue outside influence.* As bchoter mentioned in ustechange, it would be the height of irony if, after being vocal against copying cheers, they themselves were found out to have copied a cheer.* Well, the situation is already ironic because of the overwhelming evidence of the Bedans that they came up with the original cheer way back in the 50s.* Avoidance would indeed be a natural reaction in the face of this.

Bedans, on the other hand, are confident that they have the moral high ground on the issue.* This has caused some younger Bedans to become reckless in their criticisms against UST, sometimes resorting to "below the belt" and excessively offending comments.* Some older Bedans do well to rein in these overenthusiastic critics... But they should expect more of these types of criticisms in the coming seasons as Beda continues with the resurgence of its school spirit.* More and more younger Bedans will be aware that their trademark cheer is being used by another university, and it would be too convenient to point an accusing finger against Sto. Tomas.

The solution?*

Even though some Bedans (in this forum in particular) claim that they don't mind UST copying - as long as there's acknowledgement- there will be an obvious dilemma on the part of UST.* If they bite this Bedan bait, they can continue to cheer the disputed cheer (which is already shaping up to be a crowd favorite), but they will lose their moral standing to advocate cheering originality in the UAAP.* It is a crisis of pride for a school that has a lot of pride.

The only clear solution is to stop using the disputed cheer and admit that it was copied.* Pride will suffer for now, but it's the only sensible and honorable thing to do, and future generations of Thomasians will be forever thankful to them for it.*

fujima04
11-29-2006, 12:31 PM
Agree...

pablohoney36
11-30-2006, 05:35 AM
@ mangtsito: good point, though i feel the need to add a couple of things, if i may.

you sound so well-versed with the YJ's history. cool. :) how come?

with regards to the "avoidance" issue, you actually hit jackpot there, and i must credit you for knowing this fact, if indeed you are not a thomasian. cool* ;). just to elaborate on the thought, as you've mentioned already, YJ is quite young, if it is to be compared to SBC's, DLSU's and ADMU's pep squads.

there's a possibility (and this is just my take) that UST may have copied that cheer.based on what i've read here and my personal knowledge, YES, it is a BIG possibility. that being said, we didn't mean to, and (we should have known better) than to use that cheer against the very same institution that pioneered it. my bad. our bad. deepest and sincerest apologies.

@ danny: again, deepest and sincerest apologies, not just to you but to all the proud bedans as well. it was an unfortunate incident, which i believe, could have been avoided, if not for a big (MIS)communication (gap) between the handful of YJs present in that game. ;) .. i understand how you guys are feeling at the moment... we have experienced that many, many times already... what we do, we send a formal letter to the other schools that continue to use our cheers/beats, and we also approach them during the games din just to reiterate... most of them just ignore us,unfortunately.* :( we still believe in diplomacy.. ;)

and we must decline your kind offer to teach us pointers on how to strengthen our school spirit. we are very much proud of what our good school has accomplished, is accomplishing, and will accomplish in the near future, after all, UST as an institution is almost 400 years old already. ;D

also, like the proud bedans, we sing our hymn, win or lose, canned or otherwise after each competition. yun nga lang, brod, personally asar din ako kung sino man ang nagpasimuno na gawing canned music every time UST HYMN is played... i remember when i was more active in watching the games live, kinakanta lang namin talaga ito... we tried to do something about it by preempting the canned music, pero mas masagwa ang dating, mas napapahiya, biruin mo kinakanta mo na then halfway nun eh tutugtugin ang canned music. >:( kaya nga talagang memorable yung UST-SBC game sa fil-oil, dahil it gave me a chance to sing the hymn na walang canned music... :) if you were there, maybe you noticed that the players were already heading towards the dugout, and stopped only when they heard me and a handful of other YJs na nandun to sing the UST HYMN first... the players were sheepish at first, probably because they thought we were just horsing, but when they heard us sing and saw our faces they knew we were serious.

with regards sa game, i think the outcome would have been different altogether if sam ekwe played...* ;) it was still a great game though officiating was terrible for both sides... i didnt see the bump by cruz on that last 3 point shot.. nakatingin ako sa scoreboard because i thought 3 points lang ang lamang ng uste nun, buti na lang apat, at buti na lang, noncall na yun, kundi overtime pa :)

on a lighter note, we want to thank the FEU BAND for playing GO USTE...i still wonder why we just didnt ask the UE pep squad to play GO USTE, since we were on the same side as them.. yun pang FEU talaga ang pinili namin... go figure that hehe

anyway, in behalf of the other YJs, i offer my apologies. to borrow a thought from mangtsito, PRIDE IS NOTHING; HONOR IS EVERYTHING... wala lang.. thought it would make sense.. ;D
good day to all.

VIVA SANTO TOMAS

LION
11-30-2006, 07:36 AM
Pablo, (I don't want to call you honey ;D), UST's honor and pride are intact. There is no shame in admitting a "mistake".* We can say that the act was not intentional and a great majority are not aware that what was passed on to them as a cheer was derived from San Beda's Stand on the Grandstand.*

Welcome to gameface fellow Thomasian!

Viva Santo Tomas!

Animo San Beda!

MonL
11-30-2006, 07:54 AM
Pablo, (I don't want to call you honey ;D), UST's honor and pride are intact. There is no shame in admitting a "mistake".* We can say that the act was not intentional and a great majority are not aware that what was passed on to them as a cheer was derived from San Beda's Stand on the Grandstand.*

Welcome to gameface, fellow Thomasian!

Viva Santo Tomas!

Animo San Beda!

^From the only person in Gameface I know who's celebrated TWICE this past season........ Some guys have all the luck. :D

LION
11-30-2006, 07:59 AM
;D ;D ;D

danny
11-30-2006, 08:17 AM
All is clear, friends from UST. ;D

I am honored to have this *discussion with a fierce , proud and *responsible pack of Tigers.

San Beda can also learn a thing or two from UST. *You guys are pioneers in the modern brand of cheering and cheerdancing. Your adaption of modern drums can and may probably inpsire many to integrate traditional cheers with a Franz Ferdinand beat (hehehe...kung hindi ako babatukan ng mga traditionalist Bedan). ;)

P.S.

Pareng Lion (A Bedan who celebrated two championships in one year. nyahahahaha!),

Obvious ba? *Tumataas kaagad dugo ko dahil alas 4P.M. pa lang madilim na...lintik ,nagkaroon pa ng snowstorm sa ciudad na wala dapat snow. *The worse thing to happen during my Grade 1 son's field trip to a Robert Munsch theater production was this freak storm. *

nyahahahahaha... Blame it on the snow. *;D

LION
11-30-2006, 09:26 AM
Nyahaha. I can just imagine kung gano kakapal ang suot niyo ngayon.

Sayang wala ka dito. Powwow tonight at Dencio's - Rockwell with Atty. Rene Saquisag who already confirmed his attendance.

If the Rockwell guards will allow us, we will do the Stand on the Grandstand cheer for you. ;D

Cheers!!!

lekiboy
11-30-2006, 09:35 AM

Viva Santo Tomas!

Animo San Beda!

^From the only person in Gameface I know who's celebrated TWICE this past season........ Some guys have all the luck. :D

balita ko nagpainom na o nakipag inuman na sa ibang grupo - sa atin di pa... :):):)
o absent lang ako....row 4 pa? katabi ng basura....hehehehe

LION
11-30-2006, 10:14 AM
Malamang absent ka pare koy. :)

Join us tonight, sagot kita. Tska wala namang pasok bukas eh.

Mang_Roger
11-30-2006, 01:22 PM

Viva Santo Tomas!

Animo San Beda!

LION is also an alumnus of UST? Aha! Si Lion ang nagdala ng Stand on the Grand Stand sa UST ;D ;D ;D ;D

LION
11-30-2006, 04:09 PM
Now the cat is out of the bag nyahahahaha!

I enter the plea of not guilty, your honor! ;D

danny
12-01-2006, 05:53 AM
Nyahaha. I can just imagine kung gano kakapal ang suot niyo ngayon.*

Sayang wala ka dito. Powwow tonight at Dencio's - Rockwell with Atty. Rene Saquisag who already confirmed his attendance.*

If the Rockwell guards will allow us, we will do the Stand on the Grandstand cheer for you. *;D

Cheers!!!* *

:D Picture naman o video with Atty. Saguisag with the hand gesture..magagalit si Tito Stardust. Sabi na bawal yang daliri na yan..Baka ma-yakuza ng hindi oras.. .;D

JAYWEE
12-01-2006, 11:45 AM
cool thread. i'm also a LION-TIGER katol.

SBC elem-HS - 95
UST - Commerce '99
now in DLSU Professional School. :D

MonL
12-01-2006, 05:35 PM
cool thread. i'm also a LION-TIGER katol.

SBC elem-HS - 95
UST - Commerce '99
now in DLSU Professional School. :D

OT:
Nako, ewan ko lang kung papayag si Pareng LION na tawagin siyang "Katol." Pag nagalit yan sayo, sigurado kang "Tey-Pok."* *:D* (Sori, Dragon Katol...Back to regular programming...)

pablohoney36
12-02-2006, 11:49 AM

Viva Santo Tomas!

Animo San Beda!

LION is also an alumnus of UST? Aha! Si Lion ang nagdala ng Stand on the Grand Stand sa UST* ;D ;D ;D ;D

Now we know who "leaked" the cheer to UST... ;D
Anyway, there's a move now on our side of the fence to remove that cheer altogether from our roster.. of course it still has to go through the bureacracy present in every organization .. ;D
we got stung by the reaction, we apologized for our fault, got good response, everyone happy.. now its time to move on. ;)

ah.. im looking forward to another UST-SBC basketbal game.... next time, i'll make sure our Yellow Jackets are there... ;)for sure, its gonna be another great match, and as always, im looking forward to your Little Indians as well as your Indian Yell cheer... hands down, the best cheer in the land... im no bedan but it gives me goosebumps just watching you guys cheer it... asteeg.

peace

VIVA SANTO TOMAS

pablohoney36
12-06-2006, 06:01 AM
just wanted to add something not entirely irrelevant, after we cheered our version of STAND ON THE GRANDSTAND, it was posted here as well as in PEX (!) that the "cheering squad" was "natameme".. and was shocked to hear the SBC crowd yelling "gaya-gaya", etc...

just to clarify, we only heard that it caused reactions from the san beda community AFTER logging on to ustexchange (courtesy of bchoter), PEX and here at gameface. ;) it just proves that there was no malice involved when we used that cheer. :)

anyway, this incident has served as a wake up call for the YJs as well, as it has intensified our passion to produce more original cheers ... ;) as what we we've been trying ever since its inception ...

just to add some more info, Michael Flores is not the original founder of UST YJ.. well, actually, he was one of 8 people who started the YJ, or Bangers, as it was originally called, until 1997 when the group started using the name Yellow Jackets , an obvious take from the Georgia Tech (!), if my im not mistaken. also, 1997 was the year the championship drought started, ending only this season 69 of the UAAP (we lost to DLSU in 99, our only championship appearance after that historic 4peat). Buti na lang, because we were beginning to think the name YJ is jinxed eh .. ;D

VIVA SANTO TOMAS

pablohoney36
12-07-2006, 01:01 AM
^^^ The above video* link gives the public a glimpse of the mighty Red Army and the expanse of the Red Sea.
This video link is also the best evidence that the Araneta Coliseum is* Red Army territory. The more than 3/4 occupancy is not a myth. It is a fact.

instead of red, imagine it is yellow... that's what you will see at the Big Dome in the mid - 90's during UST's fabled 4-peat.* ;)

LION
12-07-2006, 07:27 AM

instead of red, imagine it is yellow... that's what you will see at the Big Dome in the mid - 90's during UST's fabled 4-peat.* ;)

I know Pablo. Saw that too. Live. hehehe. ;)

Mang_Roger
12-07-2006, 07:44 PM
I'll start the campaign to revive the 70's Bedan cheer:

What do we do when we all go out....SUNTUKAN! BUGBUGAN!" ;D ;D ;D ;D

Music to my ears!

lekiboy
12-07-2006, 09:57 PM
I'll start the campaign to revive the 70's Bedan cheer:

What do we do when we all go out....SUNTUKAN! BUGBUGAN!" ;D ;D ;D ;D

Music to my ears!

marevive kaya pati yung activities after that cheer! ;D ;D ;D

Out_Of_The_Blue
12-07-2006, 10:15 PM
Sa drumbeats naman sino-sino ang nangongopya?

Meron drumbeat ang Adamson na very similar sa "Go Ateneo." Kaya pag ginagawa ng Adamson sa halftime nila pag kalaban ang Ateneo, gallery ng Ateneo ang nagchi-cheer.

Meron din similarity ang portions ng "rektikano" drum beats sa "halikinu."

Ano naman masasabi nyo sa "Salikidu" ng FEU? Utang na loob Ginoong Montinola. Wag mo naman gawing eksakto sa "Halikinu." Di ba kaya ng mga estudyante nyo gumawa ng orihinal?

Eto, "Go Uste" at "Go Baste." Teka, sino ba ang nangopya dito? Sobra namang lantaran din ang kopyahan ng drum beat.

Sa NCAA, ano-ano at sino-sino ang nagkokopyahan?

bchoter
12-08-2006, 12:31 AM
I cringed as soon as I heard the opening lines to THAT cheer. But then again, hindi it cop out, ignorance is bliss :D. However, we can no longer hide under the saya of ignorance because the cheer's history has been passed on to the YJs. A move to have that cheer dropped is in the works daw. As to getting to the bottom of it, the copycat (pun never intended) may remain safe fdor a while because there is no move to talk with the PE department (IPEA). Sa totoo lang I was never a fan of that cheer because of its antagonistic tone. Everytime that cheer is used the other side reacts with animosity. Mejo irritating for a full time Tiger follower to watch the instant Tiger fans mouthing such lines when they were noweher to be found during our version of the dark years. Instant fans with instant angas.

5FootCarrot
12-08-2006, 07:48 AM
Meron drumbeat ang Adamson na very similar sa "Go Ateneo." Kaya pag ginagawa ng Adamson sa halftime nila pag kalaban ang Ateneo, gallery ng Ateneo ang nagchi-cheer.
IIRC, the Adamson pep squad also tried copying the "Go La Salle" (or whoever's it originally is) drumbeat, and instead of "Go La Salle" the gallery was supposed to cheer "Adamson."

Adamson used this drumbeat at the "Larry" game in 2004 and guess what, there were people in the Ateneo gallery who cheered right along with them. First and only time the words "Go La Salle" came out of my mouth :P Of course, when I got home I made sure I brushed my teeth verrrrry well...

demonyito
12-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Of course, when I got home I made sure I brushed my teeth verrrrry well...

hahaha i would have done the same thing!!!

dunkerslam
12-09-2006, 02:44 AM
I too would like to know what inpsired La Salle to adopt a Red Indian war whoop.

I don't know about the other one. But if you have proof, we will gladly recognize Ateneo as an inspiration. Hindi naman tayo ma-emote pagdating sa ganyan. :D

Download the Animo Primer in Bedista.com. for starters. A Bedan collective undertook the initiative to put into print a few of the most important Bedan symbols , traditions and lore for the benefit of our new borthers and sisters during the PEP rally and Integration.

DLSU copied San Beda's cheer? Oh, come on! That's like saying Ninoy Aquino's speeches were written by Melanie Marquez! hahahaha... totally laughable. ;D

mangtsito
12-09-2006, 08:31 AM
^ Mga kaibigang Bedista, kayo na ang bahala sa isang ito. ;D

*(Ducks for cover)

lekiboy
12-09-2006, 10:06 AM
I too* would like to know what inpsired La Salle to adopt a Red Indian war whoop.*

I don't know about the other one.* But if you have proof, we will gladly recognize Ateneo as an inspiration. Hindi naman tayo ma-emote pagdating sa ganyan.* :D

Download the Animo Primer in Bedista.com. for starters. A Bedan collective undertook the initiative to put into print a few of the most important Bedan symbols , traditions and lore for the benefit of our new borthers and sisters during the PEP rally and Integration.

DLSU copied San Beda's cheer?* Oh, come on!* That's like saying Ninoy Aquino's speeches were written by Melanie Marquez! hahahaha... totally laughable.* *;D

mang tisto,
i will not stoop to this...another perfect specimen of an ignorant and "bobo" poster from PEX. > a shame to DLSU.....

dunkerslam
12-09-2006, 11:18 AM
mang tisto,
i will not stoop to this...another perfect specimen of an ignorant and "bobo" poster from PEX. > a shame to DLSU.....

Duh. I can tell from the way you write that you're really educated yourself. I think a 3rd grader from La Salle will have a difficult time debating with you. 4th graders and up though would cream you easily ;D

brian
12-09-2006, 12:06 PM
a 3rd grader from la salle? do you mean you? he he!.....bro medyo hinay hinay lang ..

i don't have any to say about cheers being copied so sorry for being OT

mangtsito
12-09-2006, 12:15 PM

You are not the only one. DLSU has been largely silent on this allegation. Their camp is probably coming up with a workable spin. If UST tinkered with the avoidance, DLSU's tactic is denial.

Speaking of Thomasians, kudos to UST supporters here who have proven to be real gentlemen by admitting and apologizing for the unfortunate copying legacy that was merely handed down to them.

brian
12-09-2006, 12:20 PM

You are not the only one.* DLSU has been largely silent on this allegation.* Their camp is probably coming up with a workable spin.* If UST tinkered with the avoidance, DLSU's tactic is denial.

Speaking of Thomasians, kudos to UST supporters here who have proven to be real gentlemen by admitting and apologizing for the unfortunate copying legacy that was merely handed down to them.

i am not denying anything or otherwise, i am merely not in the know regarding these certain things period.....call it apathy if you wish..

tactic? you assume too much..

workable spin? funny you should mention this ;D

BigBlue
12-09-2006, 12:27 PM
aha! an ignorant dufus who chooses not to contribute anything intelligent has violated our sanctuary! ::)

all bets are on, my friends! how long before dunkerslam gets banned from gameface...
place your bets! place your bets!

:D

(braces for the bedista onslaught)

(and he really had to use Ninoy for his metaphor, didnt he? how ignorant can you get?)

mangtsito
12-09-2006, 12:36 PM
tactic? you assume too much..

workable spin? funny you should mention this ;D

Oh, seems that the term workable spin is giving them too much credit.

I apologize then for assuming that the DLSU camp is capable of a tactic. ;D

dunkerslam
12-09-2006, 01:17 PM
aha! an ignorant dufus who chooses not to contribute anything intelligent has violated our sanctuary! ::)

all bets are on, my friends! how long before dunkerslam gets banned from gameface...

It's "all bets are "OFF" dumby.

(and he really had to use Ninoy for his metaphor, didnt he? how ignorant can you get?)

"...Ninoy for his Metaphor, "didn't he"?? GOSH. Is that the type of grammar they teach at your school? total DUH.
hahahahahha. Loko lang ha............. ;D

MonL
12-09-2006, 02:21 PM
aha! an ignorant dufus who chooses not to contribute anything intelligent has violated our sanctuary!* ::)

"...Ninoy for his Metaphor, "didn't he"??* GOSH.* Is that the type of grammar they teach at your school?* total DUH.
hahahahahha.* Loko lang ha............. ;D

Yaaaaawnnnnn..... 8)

danny
12-10-2006, 03:22 AM
aha! an ignorant dufus who chooses not to contribute anything intelligent has violated our sanctuary!* ::)

Yaawwwwwnnnnnn na lang....purrrrrrr...;D

BigBlue
12-10-2006, 12:23 PM

"...Ninoy for his Metaphor, "didn't he"?? GOSH. Is that the type of grammar they teach at your school? total DUH.
hahahahahha. Loko lang ha............. ;D

why please, great and all-wise dunkerslam, enlighten my feeble mind on what the correct form should be?
my brain and education cannot handle to do it myself. perhaps you can help me? ...or are you too busy going around the different internet forums and telling people to go watch your stupid id rather be green video?

dunkerslam
12-10-2006, 01:53 PM
why please, great and all-wise dunkerslam, enlighten my feeble mind on what the correct form should be?
my brain and education cannot handle to do it myself. perhaps you can help me? ...or are you too busy going around the different internet forums and telling people to go watch your stupid id rather be green video?

Ok then. You don't say "All bets are ON". It's "All best are OFF". Ok? Bombs go "OFF" not "ON". Alarms "GO OFF" not "ON". Let me know anytime you'd like a grammar lesson. No problem. I won't charge you.

Regarding the topic, i'm just defending DLSU. It's really impossible that we copied San Beda's cheer. That's all. Sorry if i offended anybody :D

full battle gear
12-10-2006, 02:41 PM
dunkerslam,

Consider this a warning. Either you discuss things in a respectful and civilized manner or you don't post at all. I'm giving you a bit of leeway here so tread carefully.

Mang_Roger
12-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Regarding the topic, i'm just defending DLSU.* It's really impossible that we copied San Beda's cheer.* That's all.* Sorry if i offended anybody* :D

Then give your own reason why you believe la salle never copied one of the cheers of San Beda. You cannot just say "it's impossible" bakit nga imposible? This is gameface, not PEX wherein you hurl insults and derogatory remarks at anybody as a form of reasoning.

LION
12-11-2006, 07:36 AM
dunker,*

So as not to reinvent the wheel, start from scratch and waste our time,* why don't you read the thread from the beginning and grasp the discussions concerning the disputed cheers and then please* explain to us in an intelligent manner why "it's really impossible that" your school "copied San Beda's cheer".

BigBlue
12-11-2006, 12:49 PM

Ok then. You don't say "All bets are ON". It's "All best are OFF". Ok? Bombs go "OFF" not "ON". Alarms "GO OFF" not "ON". Let me know anytime you'd like a grammar lesson. No problem. I won't charge you.

Regarding the topic, i'm just defending DLSU. It's really impossible that we copied San Beda's cheer. That's all. Sorry if i offended anybody :D

wow, thank you dunkerslam. i shall yield to your wisdom.
kahit hindi ka marunong gumamit ng quote function.

JonarSabilano
12-11-2006, 04:04 PM
IIRC, the Adamson pep squad also tried copying the "Go La Salle" (or whoever's it originally is) drumbeat, and instead of "Go La Salle" the gallery was supposed to cheer "Adamson."

Adamson used this drumbeat at the "Larry" game in 2004 and guess what, there were people in the Ateneo gallery who cheered right along with them. First and only time the words "Go La Salle" came out of my mouth :P Of course, when I got home I made sure I brushed my teeth verrrrry well...

The Adamson pep also used the "Go La Salle" cheer in Game 2 of the 2004 women's finals. Dinig na dinig sa TV. Tsk.
Also, I heard from a friend that they used "Go Ateneo" in a 2004/2005 game against UE. The UE gallery would shout "Go Ateneo" to that beat. Mabuti na lang at walang nag-aabang na Atenista for the next game.

pablohoney36
12-12-2006, 02:07 AM
I cringed as soon as I heard the opening lines to THAT cheer. But then again, hindi it cop out, ignorance is bliss :D. However, we can no longer hide under the saya of ignorance because the cheer's history has been passed on to the YJs. A move to have that cheer dropped is in the works daw. As to getting to the bottom of it, the copycat (pun never intended) may remain safe fdor a while because there is no move to talk with the PE department (IPEA). Sa totoo lang I was never a fan of that cheer because of its antagonistic tone. Everytime that cheer is used the other side reacts with animosity. Mejo irritating for a full time Tiger follower to watch the instant Tiger fans mouthing such lines when they were noweher to be found during our version of the dark years. Instant fans with instant angas.

Boss:
* There IS a move to remove THAT cheer from our official list of cheers
* IPEA really has no say with regards to what cheer/beat to use. In fact, although you shouldn't be quoting me on this, IPEA may have been the (unwittng) culprit behind all these fracas... if i recall correctly, some of the earlier cheers used were IPEA-produced, with their flair for creating catchy beats and cheers, you can just imagine that .. ;D generic cheers, and all... buti na lang HS pa lang ako nun hehe
* not around during the "dark ages"? ano ba yung dark ages na iyun, after 1997 (the ten year drought) or the pre-four peat? kung yung huli eh musmos pa lang karamihan dito hehe since were talking about the years before 1992.. ;D

pablohoney36
12-12-2006, 02:10 AM

I know Pablo. Saw that too. Live. hehehe.* *;)

oh mehn ... those were the days... hoping na maulit ulit yun.. ;)

LION
12-12-2006, 11:10 AM
dunker,*

So as not to reinvent the wheel, start from scratch and waste our time,* why don't you read the thread from the beginning and grasp the discussions concerning the disputed cheers and then please* explain to us in an intelligent manner why "it's really impossible that" your school "copied San Beda's cheer".

Kailan kaya sasagot ito?

JonarSabilano
12-12-2006, 01:06 PM
dunker,*

Kailan kaya sasagot ito?

Kapag nagkaroon na siya ng "intelligence" at "manners".

Ok then.* You don't say "All bets are ON".* It's "All best are OFF". Ok?* Bombs go "OFF" not "ON".* Alarms "GO OFF" not "ON".* Let me know anytime you'd like a grammar lesson.* No problem.* I won't charge you.

Regarding the topic, i'm just defending DLSU.* It's really impossible that we copied San Beda's cheer.* That's all.* Sorry if i offended anybody* :D

Just a little grammar lesson: dunkerslam is right; one does not say "All bets are ON". However, in this context, it's not correct to say "All bets are OFF". One only uses this phrase when 1) a contest is evenly matched, e.g., "All bets are off as Pacquiao faces Barrera tonight"; or 2) a contest has started, e.g., "The bout has started! All bets are off!"

In this case, "Place your bets now!" would be more appropriate, since a_comm was trying to get people to guess (and therefore, bet on) how long dunkerslam would last in Gameface.

I'm not trying to bash anyone here; I'm just defending the Queen's Language. Sorry if I offended anybody.* ;D

OK, back to topic.

pablohoney36
12-13-2006, 01:11 AM
Eto, "Go Uste" at "Go Baste." Teka, sino ba ang nangopya dito? Sobra namang lantaran din ang kopyahan ng drum beat.

hmmmmmm.. interesting question...
but im sure it was UST who did it first...
as far as i know, san sebastian started using it in the late '90s, when cheerdancing was started to be televised. ;)

just my opinion, and if there's anyone here who thinks otherwise, or better if there's anyone from baste who can contribute something to this topic, please feel free to reply. ;)

lekiboy
12-13-2006, 08:22 AM

as far as i know, san sebastian started using it in the late '90s, when cheerdancing was started to be televised. ;)

just my opinion, and if there's anyone here who thinks otherwise, or better if there's anyone from baste who can contribute something to this topic, please feel free to reply.* ;)

Pablo,
not sure who started this but when I was in San Beda GS ( late 80s), SSC is already using that cheer - aside from their Bravo cheer... I think we may need to backtrack farther... our seniors may probably know more..

Mang_Roger
12-13-2006, 05:25 PM
dunker,*

Kailan kaya sasagot ito?

He will --soon ---but don't expect anything cerebral. He will just snap back.

Back to the topic:

I also hear the intro beat of the Indian Yell being played by the band of La Salle.

mangtsito
12-13-2006, 05:31 PM
I have a stack of issues of Varsitarian from 1994-1998 back at home because of my Thomasian sister. *They sports pages make entertaining reading mostly because UST always won in hte sports reports. *One of the things I always made a point to read about was the development of UST Cheering.

As regards the "GO USTE" cheer, I really wish I could find any scrap of evidence showing that this was a UST original. *As it is, I can't. *In addition, my earliest memories of hearing this cheer was during the so-called dark ages of UST.

Oh man, after the Stand in the Grandstand fiasco, now this one?

lekiboy
12-13-2006, 09:11 PM
dunker,*

Kailan kaya sasagot ito?

Back to the topic:

I also hear the intro beat of the Indian Yell being played by the band of La Salle.

humahaba ang listahan...tsk tsk tsk....nung naglabasan parang binugaw..... kagulo!
OT:
i still admire the UST stalwarts here ( special mention :)) ...with class and respect on how they approached the whole issue on the "stand on the grandstand" cheer... dahil malayo ang taytay, baka sa USt ko pag- aralain mga anak ko. :)

pablohoney36
12-13-2006, 10:00 PM
dunker,*

Kailan kaya sasagot ito?

Back to the topic:

humahaba ang listahan...tsk tsk tsk....nung naglabasan parang binugaw..... kagulo!
OT:
i still admire the UST stalwarts* here ( special mention :)) ...with class and respect on how they approached the whole issue on the "stand on the grandstand" cheer... dahil malayo ang taytay, baka sa USt ko pag- aralain mga anak ko. :)

nice one lekiboy... im sure you wont regret that decision, if ever you decide to enroll your children at UST ;)

pablohoney36
12-14-2006, 12:21 AM

just my opinion, and if there's anyone here who thinks otherwise, or better if there's anyone from baste who can contribute something to this topic, please feel free to reply.* ;)

Pablo,
not sure who started this but when I was in San Beda GS ( late 80s),* SSC is already using that cheer - aside from their Bravo cheer... I think we may need to backtrack farther... our seniors may probably know more..

ganun? well well well.. i reserve my judgement na lang muna... i'll do my homework,a sk my "elders" about this... then i'll post something na lang if i come up with something relevant to the issue... :)

pablohoney36
12-14-2006, 01:08 AM
I have a stack of issues of Varsitarian from 1994-1998 back at home because of my Thomasian sister. *They sports pages make entertaining reading mostly because UST always won in hte sports reports. *One of the things I always made a point to read about was the development of UST Cheering.

As regards the "GO USTE" cheer, I really wish I could find any scrap of evidence showing that this was a UST original. *As it is, I can't. *In addition, my earliest memories of hearing this cheer was during the so-called dark ages of UST.

Oh man, after the Stand in the Grandstand fiasco, now this one?

i see why you are so knowledgable with the cheers... too bad nawala na yung mga kopya ko ng varsitarian.. :'(

anyway, what exactly do you mean by "dark ages"... was that pre-4 peat era or after that? coz lekiboy says he had heard baste doing it (go baste cheer!) in the late '80s...

Kid Cubao
12-14-2006, 06:47 AM
oh well, all i can say is that our cheers and drumbeats will be copped one way or another depending on their catchiness. the important thing is for the athletes to play well enough to deserve the cheers of their respective fans. also, what i'd like to see is for our newfangled cheers to lead, one way or another, toward the development of a distinct line of cheers and drumbeats. from imitation to distinction, you can say that.

tip: it would help a lot to find a good rhythm section to guide in composing new cheers. dyan ako hanga sa mga drummers ng UST. nonstop talaga, hindi bumababa ang energy level. at pulidong-pulido ang paluan, walang sumasablay.

mangtsito
12-15-2006, 02:02 PM
i see why you are so knowledgable with the cheers... too bad nawala na yung mga kopya ko ng varsitarian.. :'(

anyway, what exactly do you mean by "dark ages"... was that pre-4 peat era or after that? coz lekiboy says he had heard baste doing it (go baste cheer!) in the late '80s...

Post-4peat, unfortunately.

lekiboy
12-16-2006, 12:01 AM

Post-4peat, unfortunately.

just thought of this - di ba magkaiba ang beat? GO BASTE, GO GO BASTE!! same chant with their BRAVO..... UST's version is GO USTEEEE!, GO USTEEE, GO GO GO..... I think we are talking about 2 different chants....the only similarity is the last syllable.... ???

pablohoney36
12-16-2006, 04:47 AM
try this one, lekiboy:

GO USTE.... GO USTE... GO USTE.... GO GO GO GO

and then try this one:

GO BASTE .... GO BASTE .... GO BASTE .... GO GO GO GO...

pwede di ba? ;D ;D ;D

lekiboy
12-16-2006, 10:27 AM
try this one, lekiboy:

GO USTE.... GO USTE... GO USTE.... GO GO GO GO

and then try this one:

GO BASTE .... GO BASTE .... GO BASTE .... GO GO GO GO...

pwede di ba?* ;D ;D ;D

pwede nga....pablo.
pero di ko pa narriinig SSC using this chant - particularly last season...i watched almost all the games of the Red Lions except the first 2.... and a lot of games also by SSC... St Scho....nyehehehe

LION
12-18-2006, 07:32 AM
deleted. Merry Christmas na lang sa lahat!

Mang_Roger
12-18-2006, 12:07 PM
During the homegrown game yesterday, I heard the Indian Yell - like beat of DLSU again...and then the copied* LIONS' roar again....Ang sakit sa tenga....Nilipat ko na lang. Baka kung ano pa lumabas sa bibig ko.

My 8 year old dughter and my wife noticed it and called me to check. They usually go with me during SBC games.... Tama nga.. Haay. Even a kid can notice.* >:(

You heard it too pala.

Natakot ako akala ko pumapalya na tenga ko.

It is being used as an intro to one of their cheers.

danny
12-19-2006, 02:54 AM
Deleted..hehehehe

Merry Christmas muna tayong lahat!

Umpa! Umpa! Umpa!

JonarSabilano
12-19-2006, 01:33 PM
^^ Parang commercial ng sabon. May "Brand X" ;D

lekiboy
12-19-2006, 11:35 PM
Sa thread na lang ng "wala lang, walang kinalaman sa basketball thread" i post ulit ang mga ito sa sub forum ng General discussion. wahaha

Back to the topic - so ano gagawin ko sa sumasakit na tenga ko? ;D
Anyways, a game in SBC with DLSU using those cheers will be very interesting. ;D
Mukhang walang dinner after.....hahahahaha

danny
12-20-2006, 06:09 AM
Takpan mo muna tenga mo. ;D

Merry Christmas!

danny
12-20-2006, 06:17 AM
Deleted...

Merry Christmas muna ulit!

atenista_comm
12-20-2006, 01:18 PM
I have to agree with Tito Nel and Jem..., this is a basketball forum.* I apologize for that.* The moderators can delete it. :)

I've said my piece on the issue, no further discussion is needed.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

A_comm:

I mentioned the ads in apcom's top universities in the world thread, the academe forum. You can post your sentiments there instead of bringing it up in an inappropriate thread. Or you can start a seperate thread solely dedicated to your observation.

FGT:

You very well know that the administrators in APcom don't allow me to post in your site.* I can just read what's written in the various threads.

And seriously, no copy and paste. :)

Merry Christmas!

Fried Green Tomato
12-20-2006, 05:17 PM
A_comm:

Correction. I think you still have the capability to post in apcom. It's just that your post always gets deleted. I really don't know who's deleting your posts.

And since you've said your piece and it's the season of joy... merry christmas also.

atenista_comm
12-20-2006, 06:31 PM
A_comm:

Correction. I think you still have the capability to post in apcom. It's just that your post always gets deleted. I really don't know who's deleting your posts.

And since you've said your piece and it's the season of joy... merry christmas also.

Merry Christmas, FGT!

Send my regards to Engwalker and green_minded... pati na rin ang nakikisali na qwerty whatever... hahahah...

LION
12-21-2006, 07:36 AM
A_Comm,

Merry Christmas El Kapitan!

atenista_comm
12-21-2006, 01:05 PM
A_Comm,

Señor LION!!!

Merry Christmas!!!

Kita kits sa January... in Cantina ulit? :)

LION
12-21-2006, 01:53 PM
A_Comm,

Señor LION!!!

Merry Christmas!!!

Okidoks. First week of January.

atenista_comm
12-21-2006, 07:01 PM
A_Comm,

Señor LION!!!

Merry Christmas!!!

Hmmm... Atenista and Bedista gathering na lang kaya... :D

danny
12-22-2006, 02:19 AM
Off-topic na kayo Lion at Atenista.com.

Anong inuman-inuman diyan.. Inuman thread ba to? Ipapalipat ko tong mga posts niyo.

Nagbabasa ba kayo..Look at the topic "STOP COPYING OUR CHEERS "AND DRUMBEATS!
(Sa kulay na yan, kasama ang mga katoto nating Letranista....o di ba Escalera?)

Sige na nga OK lang. Pasko naman eh. ;D :D

Merry Christmas to everyone!*

LION
12-22-2006, 08:22 AM
A_Comm,

Señor LION!!!

Merry Christmas!!!

Hmmm... Atenista and Bedista gathering na lang kaya... :D

Hahatakin ko ang mga pwede kong hatakin pare. kaya lang karamihan sa mga katropa e manggagaling ng south kaya we have to discuss the venue. January would be the best time to discuss this hehehe.

full battle gear
12-22-2006, 12:05 PM
I have deleted off-topic posts here and most of the replies that followed it. Enough already.

I have, however, kept the other OT posts with Christmas and holiday greetings. ;D

atenista_comm
12-22-2006, 04:52 PM
I have deleted off-topic posts here and most of the replies that followed it. Enough already.

I have, however, kept the other OT posts with Christmas and holiday greetings. ;D

Naks naman!

Maligayang Pasko!

ESCALERA JR.
12-22-2006, 06:25 PM

Anong inuman-inuman diyan.. Inuman thread ba to? Ipapalipat ko tong mga posts niyo.

Makikitoma...RED Wine& J.Walker BLUE
[Merry X'Mas to all GAMEFACERS

JonarSabilano
12-22-2006, 06:52 PM

Makikitoma...RED Wine& J.Walker BLUE
[Merry X'Mas to all GAMEFACERS

Jagermeister. Pampainit kahit ice-cold.

Maligayang Pasko sa lahat! :)

pablohoney
12-25-2006, 02:07 PM
lekiboy and mangtsito: i am pretty sure UST was the one that first used the GO USTe beat.. i personally know the one who "created" that cheer, and it is one of the "legends" in our cheering list.. ;) nakakatuwa kase kapag napapagkwentuhan ng mga past and present YJs ang history ng cheer na ito...

some people might ask why it took me a long time to follow up my post.. its because i wanted to double check my information and "cross-reference" it with some of my YJ batchmates as well... :D siyempre, school pride is at stake dito so dapat ingat tayo sa mga pinopost...

and tungkol naman dun sa STAND ON THE GRANDSTAND thing, the move to officially scrap the DOS cheer, as we call it, is gaining ground na ata and more alumni are in favor of totally scrapping the said cheer... ;)

anyway merry christmas to all

LION
01-07-2007, 04:11 PM
dunker,*

Kailan kaya sasagot ito?

Wooooooohooowohhh, Go San Beda Fight!

Wooooooohooowohhh, Animo San Beda! Beat __________!

Mang_Roger
01-08-2007, 03:17 PM
dunker,*

Kailan kaya sasagot ito?

Wooooooohooowohhh, Go San Beda Fight!

Wooooooohooowohhh, Animo San Beda! Beat __________!*

Reminds me of that memorable catchphrase in the movie TopGun ----- "Son your ego is writing checks your body can't cash".

danny
01-19-2007, 05:26 AM
Lion, si Leki nasa China pala .

Matanong nga kung anong matunog na cheer dun.

" Ka-ching! Ka-ching!" (tunog ng cash register). ;D

MonL
01-19-2007, 07:30 AM

Ang bawal doon ay ang "ka-chiching," as in "no sale." :D

lekiboy
01-23-2007, 12:28 PM

Ang bawal doon ay ang "ka-chiching," as in "no sale."* :D

:):):) kakabalik ko lang mga kapatid...wala akong nakita kungdi sangdamukal na mga intsik....As for the cheers, parang nagbasag lang ng mga gamit sa kusina.....you don't want to copy their drumbeats also...lalong nabasag...hahahaha...biro lang.

seriously,,,i got this from bedista.com from alexeryap... ;D

All,

I was just informed by Bokbok from HS 92 that our museum curator, Joseph Renta of HS92 also has already discovered an article featuring San Beda using the word ANIMO in its documented cheering paraphernalia / school organ way before when the other schools started using it or copying it. :)

This is not an effort to claim ownership on the word but this is just to straigthen the facts that we are indeed the first one to use it on our cheers and on our list of school battlecries.

We have not seen the article but I have already requested Bokbok to coordinate with Joseph on the photocopying of the said document.

We will update everyone with the next developments.

kelan nga pala inuman, LIOn, sa EB ba? wala pa yatang 2nd venue e...

LION
01-23-2007, 01:25 PM
SA EB na lang lekiboy. Invite alexeryap ;D para ma interrogate yang damuhong yan sa dokumentong sinasabi niya. Kung 60's and 70's lang, di natin kailangan dokumento dahil marami tayong first person account c/o sitsirya, stardust and MonL ;D

Dapat ang mga dokumentong yan e pre-war (kahit WW II lang) para masaya.

lekiboy
01-23-2007, 01:43 PM
SA EB na lang lekiboy. Invite alexeryap* ;D para ma interrogate yang damuhong yan sa dokumentong sinasabi niya. Kung 60's and 70's lang, di natin kailangan dokumento dahil marami tayong first person account c/o sitsirya, stardust and MonL* ;D*

Dapat ang mga dokumentong yan e pre-war (kahit WW II lang) para masaya.

oki boss....siya nga pala...akala ko 90s sina MonL , sitsirya and stardust...tsk tsk tsk :):):)

ang alam ko pre-war ang document...

toti_mendiola
01-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Meron kayang aamin na pre-war batch nila? hmmm.

danny
01-24-2007, 02:50 AM
Meron kayang aamin na pre-war batch nila? hmmm.

Pare labas na tayo diyan... bahala na utol mong magpaamin sa mga ancients...;D

Pero alam niyo mga 'tol, sa usaping kahulughan ng* " Animo", tapos na ang balitaktakan.

Hindi kung sino ang unang gumamit ang mas importante para sa akin sa kundi sino ang tama ang paggamit simula;t sapul na dinala ang salitang Kastila sa Pinas.

Sa palagay ko kasi si Ferdinand Magellan ang unang gumamit nito sa Pilipinas. :D

Tutal nabanggit na ngang baka tama ang pag-gamit ng mga Bedista kung sa pag-sigaw lang nito ang pag-uusapan, hayaan na nating yang kung sino ang unang gumamit....PALO ang abot natin kay KOYA STARDUST.

(Tandaan sa, salitang kastila, may mga salitang nag-iiba ang kahulugan sa paraan ng paggamit at kung paano gamitin). SA sangkaterbang* " reference" ba naman na pwedeng basahin, makikitang tumpak ang pag-sigaw natin ng animo.. hay salamat sa internet.....at sa gameface. ;D

Aba e, naitanong ko na din ito sa mga kapwa ko magulang dito sa pinapasukan ng mga anak namin tungkol diyan sa* "Animo" na yan.* Isang Espanyol at ang isa naman ay Mehikano na may asawang Pinay.* Aba tumpak daw ang paggamit natin. SA tingin ko naman hindi ako niloloko ng mga magulang na to.* *;D

Maiba lang, tsong sa palagay ko etong paaralan ng* anak ko ginaya ANG MGA pinoy* sa pag-cheer e.. Sigaw ba naman nila dun sa isang Football game ay "GO IRISH FIGHT!"* Mga loko.. ginagaya mga pinoy... ;D

..:D

Mang_Roger
03-14-2007, 04:28 PM
It's been more than 3 months and not a single word from dunkerslam.......

pablohoney
03-14-2007, 06:52 PM

baka nagpalit ng pangalan... heehee ;D

Mang_Roger
03-15-2007, 12:21 PM

Pwede! ;D

danny
03-16-2007, 02:46 AM

Pwede!* ;D

Mga (Ka)tol (Lion-Tiger), awat na.

If our respective positions remained unconteseted for such a long time, then let it remain that way. There is no need to remind the other person. Otherwise, the new posts might be misinterpreted. We don't want that to happen here in gameface. Just my thoughts.

Siya nga pala Pablohoney, a salute to the YJ and to all of you proud Thomasians! A salute to integrity is never late. ;D

Mang_Roger
03-18-2007, 01:51 PM

Pwede!* ;D

Mga (Ka)tol (Lion-Tiger),* awat na.

If our respective positions remained unconteseted for such a long time, then let it remain that way. There is no need to remind the other person. Otherwise, the new posts might be misinterpreted. We don't want that to happen here in gameface. Just my thoughts.

Siya nga pala Pablohoney, a salute to the YJ and to all of you proud Thomasians! A salute to integrity is never late. ;D

Pasensiya na pareng danny pero panay ko pa ring hahamunin si dunkerslam na sumagot.
Again, dunkerslam---tell us what you have gathered from Taft ;D ;D ;D.

atenean_blooded
04-06-2007, 05:15 AM
Wow.

It's been what, five months since I last posted?

It's nice to see that some people have been sorting stuff out here (even taking out the trash aka dunkerslam, etc.).

Back to topic.

STOP COPYING OUR CHEERS AND DRUMBEATS!

pablohoney
04-23-2007, 05:23 PM

Pwede!* ;D

Mga (Ka)tol (Lion-Tiger),* awat na.

CHEERS, sir danny !!!

estudyante
04-24-2007, 09:14 PM
ma-pagaya man ang cheer o hindi, ang mahalaga man rto ay ang suporta ng skul sa team..
school spirit naman ang pinanga2lagahan dto.. masyado atang big deal un sa inyo??

danny
04-25-2007, 01:06 AM
ma-pagaya man ang cheer o hindi, ang mahalaga man rto ay ang suporta ng skul sa team..
school spirit naman ang pinanga2lagahan dto..* masyado atang big deal un sa inyo??

Pasensya kung kakaiba sa iyong panlasa. Suporta sa paaralan, pagtanaw sa tradisyon at pagunawa sa simbolismo ay importante sa madaming Bedista at gayundin naman sa iba pang mga paaralan.

No problema. Kanya kanyang panlasa lang yan. :D

JonarSabilano
04-25-2007, 09:09 AM
school spirit naman ang pinanga2lagahan dto..* masyado atang big deal un sa inyo??

Actually, oo. Kung malakas nga talaga ang school spirit mo, gagawa kayo ng cheer na makikilala bilang inyo at inyo lang.

But hey, whatever works for you, works for you.

oca
04-25-2007, 10:14 AM

Sa isang matandang miron na tulad ko, masasabi kong big deal ito. Be observant when you watch the games of schools with long and rich cheering traditions.

Are you not amazed at the unison of voices of people from across generations?

Men in their 60s and 50s and 40s and 30s and 20s and teenagers and gradeschoolers cheering the same cheers. Individuals, who may be total strangers with each other, using the same language to boost their teams?

From the naka-americana generation, to the low waist, the hippie to the jeproks to the punks to the jologs...at the games they speak the same language - their cheers.

Kid, if you are still that young, the "cheer" is the tie that bind these people across generations. It is at the games that they reunite and rekindle their brotherhood. Their cheers identify them. You hear this cheer from afar, you know which school is playing.

Payag ka bang mapagkamalang maka-ewan kung ikaw ay maka-ano? Dahil ang cheer niyo ay may katulad o kinopya...

Isip, kid, isip.

To a spectator, there should be more to basketball than just being a game. To a student or alumni, there should be more to a cheer than just supporting your team.

At kung di ito maabot ng iyong pag-unawa, walang masama kung manood ka na lang sa TV. ;D ;D ;D ;D

bluewing
04-25-2007, 10:20 AM
eto lang yan.

kung di nyo kayang gumawa ng sarili nyong cheer, wag kayong mag-cheer.

maghiyawan na lang kayo gaya ng mga tambay sa inter-barangay. at least may "flava" kayo na inyong-inyo...

estudyante
04-25-2007, 06:39 PM
Payag ka bang mapagkamalang maka-ewan kung ikaw ay maka-ano? Dahil ang cheer niyo ay may katulad o kinopya...

oca,

dyan sa tanong mo, oo.. pa2yag akong mag mukhang ewan dhl para skin ang "cheer" ay pang boost lang yan sa isang team o kung baga suporta sa kanila at dyan rin nagka2isa ang mga mano2od..
alam kong fanatic ka sa sports pro kung ikaw ang nagla2ro.. ilagay mo ung sitwasyon bilang isang player.. ano ba ang mas mahalaga syo? ung cheer sa inyo ng mga tao o ang ginagampanan mo sa loob ng court?

according pa dito sa sinabi mo "there should be more to a cheer than just supporting your team". :-X
syempre lahat naman tyo gustong manalo..pro d pwedeng 2 mana2lo, syempre may isang mata2lo.
pro wala naman sa mga mano2od ung laro,kundi na sayo.. pag natalo kyo, masisisi mo ba sila dhil kinulang sila sa suporta?

wala naman dag2x puntos na ibinibigay sa school na may magandang cheer.. at ang cheer ay sumisikat pag na3lo ang team ng isang skul. kung kulelat ang team nyo sa palagay nyo sikat ung pep squad nyo??

"you should know that kung naging player ka ng isang sport, katulad nlng ng basketball"

lekiboy
04-25-2007, 06:42 PM

oca,

dyan sa tanong mo, oo.. pa2yag akong mag mukhang ewan dhl para skin ang "cheer" ay pang boost lang yan sa isang team o kung baga suporta sa kanila at dyan rin nagka2isa ang mga mano2od..
alam kong fanatic ka sa sports pro kung ikaw ang nagla2ro.. ilagay mo ung sitwasyon bilang isang player.. ano ba ang mas mahalaga syo? ung cheer sa inyo* ng mga tao o ang ginagampanan mo sa loob ng court?

according pa dito sa sinabi mo "there should be more to a cheer than just supporting your team".* :-X
syempre lahat naman tyo gustong manalo..pro d pwedeng 2 mana2lo, syempre may isang mata2lo.
pro wala naman sa mga mano2od ung laro,kundi na sayo.. pag natalo kyo, masisisi mo ba sila dhil kinulang sila sa suporta?

wala naman dag2x puntos na ibinibigay sa school na may magandang cheer..* at ang cheer ay sumisikat pag na3lo ang team ng isang skul.* kung kulelat ang team nyo sa palagay nyo sikat ung pep squad nyo??

"you should know that kung naging player ka ng isang sport, katulad nlng ng basketball"

mukhang walang patutunghuhan.... di naka relate.... :-\

BigBlue
04-25-2007, 08:57 PM
wala naman dag2x puntos na ibinibigay sa school na may magandang cheer.. at ang cheer ay sumisikat pag na3lo ang team ng isang skul. kung kulelat ang team nyo sa palagay nyo sikat ung pep squad nyo??

nung panahong nahuhuli ang ateneo pagdating sa bakbakan sa basketball court, never kami nahuli sa sigawan sa bleachers ;)

i'm sure bedans here can relate.

Jaco D
04-26-2007, 06:37 AM
Only an Atenista will understand the Fabilioh.
Only a Bedista will understand the Indian Yell.
Only a Lasalista will understand the Rektikano.
Only a..... well, you get my drift.

All a fence-sitter has to show are hollow block markings on his fat butt.

Lundagin mo, Baby!

oca
04-26-2007, 08:09 AM

oca,

alam kong fanatic ka sa sports pro kung ikaw ang nagla2ro.. ilagay mo ung sitwasyon bilang isang player.. ano ba ang mas mahalaga syo? ung cheer sa inyo* ng mga tao o ang ginagampanan mo sa loob ng court?

according pa dito sa sinabi mo "there should be more to a cheer than just supporting your team".* :-X

wala naman dag2x puntos na ibinibigay sa school na may magandang cheer..* at ang cheer ay sumisikat pag na3lo ang team ng isang skul.* kung kulelat ang team nyo sa palagay nyo sikat ung pep squad nyo??

mukhang walang patutunghuhan.... di naka relate.... :-\

lekiboy,

Mukhang ganon nga.

Gaya ng una kong sinabi, "...di maabot ng iyong pag-unawa...", ganoon nga ang siste.

At sa dami ng sumagot sa kanya, ako lang ang binigyan ng rejoinder... dahil ba aminado akong di bahagi ng isang school community na madalas dito?

Hindi ko na susundan yung rejoinder niya sa akin, dahil gaya na rin ng sinabi mo, "mukhang walang patutunguhan".

MonL
04-26-2007, 08:29 AM
He who does not know and does not know he does not know, is a fool. Shun him.
He who does not know and knows he does not know, is a child. Teach him.
He who knows and does not know he knows, is asleep. Awaken him.
He who knows and knows he knows, is wise. Follow him.

;D ;D ;D

( Da Nose knows. Katakataka bang maraming gustong maglaro para sa kaniya?* Pero OT na ito.* :D)

MonL
04-26-2007, 08:31 AM
double post.

kulang sa kape. :P

gameface_one
04-26-2007, 09:34 AM
estudyante, kidnly refrain from using text speak. Pls refer to our rules in the Officials Table Forum. Thanks.

JonarSabilano
04-26-2007, 10:12 AM

Ayuuuuuuuuun.

Ang problema kasi, para sa iyo, ang laro ay laro lang. Para sa amin, hindi lang 'yun laro. Kaya nga may tinatawag na school spirit, 'di ba? Kasi, kung laro lang 'yun para sa amin, kapag natambakan kami ng DLSU, halimbawa, didiretso na lang kami sa bahay at matutulog. Pero hindi. Pagkatapos ng laro, manalo man o matalo, maghahanap ako ng schoolmate sa Araneta. Yayayain kong uminom. At kung nag-champion kami, malamang umikot kami sa campus. Magbubusina sa tono ng mga drumbeat namin.

'Yun ang pagkakaiba namin sa inyo. Sa iyo, laro lang. Sa amin, hindi lang basta-basta larong kanto.

At sa sinasabi mong hindi sikat ang cheer kapag natatatalo ang isang team, bakit kaya sikat ang UP Pep, e ilang taon na rin silang hindi nakakapasok sa Final 4? On the flipside, kahit naka-dalawang kampeonato na ang FEU sa nakaraang 5 taon, bakit hindi sumisikat ang "Salikadu" (na halata namang rip-off sa mga cheer namin)?

Simple ang sagot. Wala kasing originality. 'Yung tipong kapag naririnig mo, malalaman mo agad na "Uy, eskuwela ko ang naglalaro." 'Yung tipong mapapa-sigaw ka rin. Hindi 'yung mga paisa-isang sigaw na "AAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIK!", ha, pero 'yung sigaw na nakakasindak sa kalaban dahil alam nila na iisa lang ang sinasabi ng mga tumatangkilik sa kabilang koponan.

Pero siyempre, halata sa pananalita mong bata ka pa. Hindi mo mauunawaan ito. At malamang, hindi ka rin dadalaw sa eskuwela mo kapag tumanda ka na. At mas malamang na hindi mo dadalhin sa Araneta ang mga anak mo para manood ng laro ng kung-ano-mang-paaralang-pinanggalingan mo.

Ayan, ha, nag-Tagalog na ako.

(At oo, alam ko ang pakiramdam na tinutukoy mo. Track and field ako noon, at naiinggit ako kapag nagdadala ang DLSU ng pep squad nila sa Rizal. Ikaw, nakapanood ka na ba talaga ng laro sa Araneta?)

bluewing
04-26-2007, 10:18 AM
bakit di na lang kasi kayo gumawa ng cheer na katunog ng mga kanta, gaya nung kay bamboo, orang & lemons, ganun...

ok lang naman yun. wag nyo lang gayahin yung sa ibang school. nagmumukha mukha kayong tanga e.

estudyante
04-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Ayuuuuuuuuun.

Ang problema kasi, para sa iyo, ang laro ay laro lang. Para sa amin, hindi lang 'yun laro. Kaya nga may tinatawag na school spirit, 'di ba? Kasi, kung laro lang 'yun para sa amin, kapag natambakan kami ng DLSU, halimbawa, didiretso na lang kami sa bahay at matutulog. Pero hindi. Pagkatapos ng laro, manalo man o matalo, maghahanap ako ng schoolmate sa Araneta. Yayayain kong uminom. At kung nag-champion kami, malamang umikot kami sa campus. Magbubusina sa tono ng mga drumbeat namin.

'Yun ang pagkakaiba namin sa inyo. Sa iyo, laro lang. Sa amin, hindi lang basta-basta larong kanto.

At sa sinasabi mong hindi sikat ang cheer kapag natatatalo ang isang team, bakit kaya sikat ang UP Pep, e ilang taon na rin silang hindi nakakapasok sa Final 4? On the flipside, kahit naka-dalawang kampeonato na ang FEU sa nakaraang 5 taon, bakit hindi sumisikat ang "Salikadu" (na halata namang rip-off sa mga cheer namin)?

Simple ang sagot. Wala kasing originality. 'Yung tipong kapag naririnig mo, malalaman mo agad na "Uy, eskuwela ko ang naglalaro." 'Yung tipong mapapa-sigaw ka rin. Hindi 'yung mga paisa-isang sigaw na "AAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIK!", ha, pero 'yung sigaw na nakakasindak sa kalaban dahil alam nila na iisa lang ang sinasabi ng mga tumatangkilik sa kabilang koponan.

Pero siyempre, halata sa pananalita mong bata ka pa. Hindi mo mauunawaan ito. At malamang, hindi ka rin dadalaw sa eskuwela mo kapag tumanda ka na. At mas malamang na hindi mo dadalhin sa Araneta ang mga anak mo para manood ng laro ng kung-ano-mang-paaralang-pinanggalingan mo.

(At oo, alam ko ang pakiramdam na tinutukoy mo. Track and field ako noon, at naiinggit ako kapag nagdadala ang DLSU ng pep squad nila sa Rizal. Ikaw, nakapanood ka na ba talaga ng laro sa Araneta?)

track and field po pla kyo noon.. ang laking connection naman ata nito sa mga pep squad.. ???
may pep squad tuwing laban nyo? ??? at ba't naman po kayo naiingit sa pep squad ng DLSU?
frustration nyo po ba na sumali sa ganun? sguro nga, kaya masyado kayong naakpektuhan sa mga sinabi ko.. :-X
at tsaka ano naman po kinalaman ng mga sinabi mo pagdalaw ko kung san man ako gra2duate.. connection?? ???
extracurricular activity lang naman ang pag cheering.. para atang dinamay nyo un kung san..
kung fanatic ka man o hindi, wala itong kinalaman sa pagdalaw mo sa skul on the future?? :o duh.

bsta baka pag dinagdagan ko pa ito kung ewan ko na kung saan topic tayo makakarating.. ::)

JonarSabilano
04-26-2007, 01:17 PM
Ayuuuuuuuuun.

track and field po pla kyo noon.. ang laking connection naman ata nito sa mga pep squad..* *???
may pep squad tuwing laban nyo?* ???* at ba't naman po kayo naiingit sa pep squad ng DLSU?
frustration nyo po ba na sumali sa ganun? sguro nga, kaya masyado kayong naakpektuhan sa mga sinabi ko.. :-X
at tsaka ano naman po kinalaman ng mga sinabi mo pagdalaw ko kung san man ako gra2duate.. connection??* ???
extracurricular activity lang naman ang pag cheering.. para atang dinamay nyo un kung san..
kung fanatic ka man o hindi, wala itong kinalaman sa pagdalaw mo sa skul on the future??* :o duh.

bsta baka pag dinagdagan ko pa ito kung ewan ko na kung saan topic tayo makakarating.. ::)

Oo, may pep squad ang DLSU noong panahon namin, at sa lahat ng event, kahit track-and-field man lang, nandoon sila. At oo, nakakaiinggit, dahil at least sa kanila, hindi lang simpleng pagtakbo ang ginagawa nila.

Ang punto ko, kid, ay ang tinatawag na pagmamahal sa paaralan. If you love your school that much, you'll bring your kids to games in which your school team is playing. You'll visit your campus even after you've graduated. And you'll be ashamed to hear comments like "Ano ba itong eskuwelang ito, gaya-gaya lang sa eskuwelang ganoon..."

Oo, pangarap ko ang sumali sa Babble dati. Pero noong nakita ko ang training na pinagdadaanan nila, at kung paano sila umaasa sa audience lang para malaman kung sino ang lamang (dahil hindi sila puwedeng tumingin sa laro), at kung paano pa rin sila nagchi-cheer kahit na tahimik na ang mga tao at halatang natatalo na ang team, na-realize kong "Hindi ko kayang magbigay ng dedication na ganoon."

Oo, extracurricular activity ang cheering. Pero hindi ba extracurricular activity rin ang paglalaro para sa eskuwela mo? Kung babalewalain mo na lang ang cheering dahil extra-curricular ito, e di balewalain mo na rin ang mismong paglalaro.

Duh. You took this position, panindigan mo.

STOP COPYING OUR CHEERS AND DRUMBEATS!

BigBlue
04-26-2007, 02:14 PM
jonar, it's useless to argue with estudyante on this one. tulad nga ng sabi ni pareng oca, hindi talaga maabot ng kanyang pang-unawa. this person will never know what pride and passion is all about.

and because of that estudyante, i pity you.

Jeep
04-26-2007, 02:47 PM
jonar,

this debate is going nowhere. oca and lekiboy are correct. talagang hindi makakarelate si estudyante kahit magkandapihit-pihit ka ng katawan mo para ipaliwanag ito dahil malamang sa hindi ay hindi naman tinuturo ng mga senior at alumni ng escuela ni estudyante ang pagmamalaki (pride) na sila ay galing sa school na yun o sila'y produkto ng school na yun.

malamang ay grade 2 (ngayon nga prep na! just ask my son what they did last school year! hahaha!) sa school nila, hindi tinuturo sa kanila ang mga cheer na yun. malamang ay hindi iginiit sa kanila sa murang edad na yun na sila ang kasalukuyang tagapagmana ng isang malalim at sagradong tradisyon, na ang school nila ang "the best," at dahil dito ay dapat lang na ipagsigawan nila sa buong coliseum, sa buong mundo, na eto ang escuela namin!

at dahil malamang na hindi nadaanan ni estudyante ang mga karanasang ito, talagang hindi tayo magkakaintindihan ni estudyante. it's a lot like explaining jet propulsion to someone who hasn't even ridden a car yet.

JonarSabilano
04-26-2007, 03:04 PM
jonar,

this debate is going nowhere. oca and lekiboy are correct. talagang hindi makakarelate si estudyante kahit magkandapihit-pihit ka ng katawan mo para ipaliwanag ito dahil malamang sa hindi ay hindi naman tinuturo ng mga senior at alumni ng escuela ni estudyante ang pagmamalaki (pride) na sila ay galing sa school na yun o sila'y produkto ng school na yun.

malamang ay grade 2 (ngayon nga prep na! just ask my son what they did last school year! hahaha!) sa school nila, hindi tinuturo sa kanila ang mga cheer na yun. malamang ay hindi iginiit sa kanila sa murang edad na yun na sila ang kasalukuyang tagapagmana ng isang malalim at sagradong tradisyon, na ang school nila ang "the best," at dahil dito ay dapat lang na ipagsigawan nila sa buong coliseum, sa buong mundo, na eto ang escuela namin!

at dahil malamang na hindi nadaanan ni estudyante ang mga karanasang ito, talagang hindi tayo magkakaintindihan ni estudyante. it's a lot like explaining jet propulsion to someone who hasn't even ridden a car yet.

Sige na nga, I'll take your advice and stop replying to estudyante, whoever he/she/it is. ;D