PDA

View Full Version : Norwood sets eyes on NBA, Euro stint

gameface_one
10-24-2007, 11:10 AM
Norwood sets eyes on NBA, Euro stint

By Jasmine W. Payo
Inquirer
Last updated 06:49am (Mla time) 10/24/2007

MANILA, Philippines -- Everybody wants a piece of amateur basketball’s hottest property.

But Fil-Am Gabe Norwood has his own game plan that he intends to follow. And that involves taking it slow despite the slew of offers coming his way.

“I’m taking it a year at a time,” said Norwood. “My ultimate goal is to play in the NBA. I’m still young.”

But it’s a long-term plan that the 6-foot-5 guard hopes to set in motion right here in the Philippine soil.

“Basically this is the beginning of my career,” he said. “Everybody’s been welcoming, helping me out to have an easy transition.”

His body clock has been adjusting -- as well as his brand of play -- since returning to the country last Wednesday to suit up for Hapee Toothpaste in the Philippine Basketball League.

“I’m still trying to get adapted here,” said Norwood, the eldest of five kids of college football coach Brian Norwood and half-Filipina Tiffiney Viloria-Hardy.

“I’m still adjusting to the time, so I’ve been sleeping a lot.”

But on court, Norwood has been giving his full attention.

“Size-wise it’s different here,” said Norwood, who used to start for US NCAA Final Four squad George Mason University.

“I’m also used to play the point, but I’ll play a lot of positions here. I guess I’ll play whatever my coach will tell me, from 1 to 5. The speed is also different. I’ll be running a bit more.”

His stint with the all-amateur national team in the Southeast Asian Games remains uncertain even after suiting up for the all-pro San Miguel-RP squad in the FIBA-Asia championship in Tokushima, Japan last July.

“Of course I would like to play for the national team,” said Norwood. “But since I got back, no one has contacted me from the RP team. So it’s up to the (Hapee) management.”

Philippine Basketball Association teams also previously sounded off their interest for the 22-year-old cager.

“I think I can play in the PBA,” said Norwood, who has been living alone in a condominium in Manila, and whose relatives are from Bohol province.

Aside from the NBA, Norwood, too, remains hopeful to get a crack at the international scene in the coming years.

“I recently got a soft offer from a team in the European league, but they decided to re-sign their player, so it fell through,” he shared. “I also tried out for the Utah Jazz the past summer. But I’m just taking it a year at a time. Right now I’ll just do my best in the PBL.”

Dark Knight
10-24-2007, 01:35 PM
After a sub par performance in his debut game in the PBL, i doubt if he can make it to the PBA. It will take more than tremendous dunks to impress the NBA teams. ;D

gameface_one
10-27-2007, 09:12 AM
Gabe hopes to show real stuff Saturday

Inquirer
Last updated 10:04pm (Mla time) 10/26/2007

MANILA, Philippines--A WEEK of practice may be good enough for Fil-Am Gabe Norwood when Hapee Toothpaste shoots for its second straight win against San Mig Coffee in the PBL V-Go Extreme Energy Drink Cup Saturday.

"It will be a good gauge for Norwood," said Hapee coach Jun Noel of the 6-foot-5 top rookie pick. "We're hoping he'll be able to adjust by then."

The Complete Protectors will vie for a share of the lead with Toyota Balintawak in the 4 p.m. main game, right after the 2 p.m. encounter between the Harbour-RP Team and Bacchus Energy Drink at The Arena in San Juan.

Noel expects more from Norwood, who delivered 10 points and seven rebounds in Hapee's 80-74 victory over Mail and More last Tuesday despite only four days of practice.

"He hasn't shown his real game," said Noel.

Norwood's presence seemed to have boosted his teammates' confidence as Larry Rodriguez, Mark Borboran and Alfie Grijaldo combined for 46 points in their opening-day stint.

"Everyone's motivated," said Noel.

Jasmine W. Payo

yokam
11-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Give Norwood some time. He's probably still be in the process of adjusting here in the Philippines, especially to the climate. A month or two more will do. We'll see what this Gabe Norwood's really made of.

gameface_one
12-12-2007, 11:10 AM
Norwood to pursue NBA dream

Rey Bancod
mb.com.ph

NAKHON RATCHASIMA — Fil-American Gabe Norwood is one guy who loves to dunk – never a layup – but doesn’t want to draw much of the attention if he could help it.

But if and when he makes it to the National Basketball Association (NBA), Norwood should better be prepared for the media frenzy back home.

The six-foot-five former guard of the Greg Mason University has not given up on his dream to play in the NBA after not being drafted this year.

"Certainly, I would love to play in the NBA," Norwood said Tuesday inside the Athletes Village.

"I wasn’t drafted this year because my numbers in college were not that spectacular," Norwood said.

"Technically, I’m a free agent. That’s what I understand. After my stint in the PBL (Philippine Basketball League), I would go back home and see how things unfold," the 21-year-old Norwood said.

Norwood said he’s not discounting the possibility of joining the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) next season while waiting for his chance in the NBA.

He said he was invited once by a scout representing the Utah Jazz, but nothing came out of his tryout.

"It wasn’t even held in Utah," Norwood said.

Philippine Basketball League (PBL) Commissioner Chino Trinidad has nothing but praise for Norwood whom he describes as a nice fellow on and off the court.

"I would love to have him in the team. He completes the team with his selflessness and energy," Trinidad said.

Norwood scored only eight points in the team’s opening game against Cambodia, letting his teammates to shine.

But against Indonesia, the athletic do-it-all player showed a glimpse of what he can do, firing 19 points, including a vicious slam dunk toward the end of the game.

Through it all, Norwood has remained humble.

In an interview with Washington Post sportswriter Dan Steinberg last year, Drew Frank, his coach on the state championship team, said Norwood changed his life.

"Someone told me one time when your best player and your best person are one and the same, you can have a magical season, and that’s what we had with Gabe," Frank said.

He told Steinberg that Norwood helped him understand what’s most important about the game.

"Don’t get wrapped up in wins and losses, enjoy the journey and just have fun," Frank said.

This week, Norwood has been having his share of fun.

"It’s always an honor to represent the country. There’s a little bit of pressure because we’re the favorites, but certainly, we’re having fun here," Norwood said.

amdgc82
12-14-2007, 05:48 AM
http://ubelt.com/blogs/viewpost.aspx?id=583

“Honest Gabe” discusses his RP team stint, future plans
Last Updated: by rpsports_sid on 12/10/2007 1:14:00 PM

By Sid Ventura

Gabe Norwood, the amiable Fil-Am cager, is happy to be here in Nakhon Ratchasima spearheading the country’s quest for a gold in its favorite sport.

“It’s a great honor,” he says. “I’m blessed to have another opportunity to represent the country. A lot of people were disappointed with the way FINA-Asia ended. I’m just getting a chance to redeem myself, so I’m trying to make the most of it, help the team in any way that I can.”

Norwood was all smiles moments after Team Philippines manhandled Indonesia, 75-49. He finished with a team-high 18 points (including a perfect 7-for7 from the stripe), eight rebounds, two assists, two steals and one block. But talk to him for just three minutes, and you’ll realize he’d probably still be smiling even if he had gone scoreless and Indonesia had beaten them by 50. He’s just a naturally happy person at peace with himself.

He’s also a very good teammate.

“He doesn’t want to have the limelight,” says national coach Junel Baculi. “He wants to share the ball with his teammates, he communicates well with them, and I think the others communicate well with each other, so that’s the key.”

His mere presence on the team was enough to boost the morale of the other players, according to team captain Allan Salansang,

“Grabe, pag dating ni Gabe sa team namin, ibang klase,” Salansang relates. “Syempre pag sinabi mong Gabe Norwood, lahat parang excited makasama siya. Tsaka nadadala niya yung team.

“Pwede siyang maging leader sa team namin. Tsaka yung leaping ability niya, pag nakataas siya lahat kami parang nabubuhayan kami. Lalo kaming nanggigigil sa laro. Pag nasa loob siya, lahat naka-focus. Maganda yung communication niya sa amin.”

“The energy that he gives coming off the bench, it’s very important to us,” adds Baculi. “Because syempre, when the first five tires out a little bit, when he comes off the bench, fresh from the bench, and he has accepted that role, he give energy to the team. So it’s very important for players such as him to accept the role that the coach will give.”

It’s been a serendipitous journey for Norwood, a member of the George Mason University team that reached the NCAA Final Four in 2005. His involvement with the sports ministry group Athletes in Action was what first brought him to the Philippines in the middle of last year.

“I actually came over two summers ago, the summer before I joined the national team with Athletes in Action,” he relates. “We came over and played against some of the college teams. We actually played against Jeff Chan and some of these guys here.”

It was through his involvement with the AIA and subsequent interaction with its local counterpart during their visit that Norwood’s Filipino lineage first came to the attention of local basketball people.

“During their visit last year was when we learned that Norwood’s grandfather was a full-blooded Filipino,” said BJ Manalo, an active member of AIA’s local chapter.

That got the discovery process going, and before long, national coach Chot Reyes came knocking on the door. The rest, as they say, is history.

Norwood is candid enough to admit that never did he expect to be asked to play for the Philippines.

“Well, it caught me off-guard, you know. It’s been a long basketball career for me, starting when I was five years old in the States. I didn’t think too much about coming overseas and playing ball. It’s just a wild experience for me, and I’m blessed. Everywhere I’ve gone it’s just been a blessing for me to play basketball and represent this country.”

But despite the warm welcome and royal treatment he has received so far, Norwood is also honest enough to reveal his true plans for the future.

“I’ll see where it (basketball) takes me,” he says. “I love the game of basketball. And the NBA is my ultimate goal, so hopefully I’ll see after this PBL season what opportunities I have back in the States. If not, I’d love to come back over and represent the country once again and play in the PBA.”

For now, though, his focus is winning the gold medal for Team Philippines. They are just two wins away from achieving this goal, but those two games – against Malaysia and host Thailand - may be the most difficult yet.

“Well, the two teams we have to play are very talented. We’ve watched Malaysia play, we’ve watched Thailand play. They’re both bigger teams. Hopefully, we can rebound and basically get back on defense. We have enough scorers on this team. Scoring’s not gonna be a problem. It’s gonna be defense and rebounding. So that’s what we’re gonna need to do.”

That’s “Honest Gabe” telling it like it is.

Special thanks to the Filipino seated next to me at the Main Press Center for suggesting the title “Honest Gabe” while I was writing this piece. You know who you are.

gameface_one
12-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Norwood a perfect teammate

By Musong R. Castillo
Inquirer
Last updated 00:40:00 12/14/2007

NAKHON RATCHASIMA, THAILAND -- Salvador Andrada, the former long-time president of the Philippine Tennis Association, was rushed to the intensive care unit (ICU) of the Bangkok Hospital here late Wednesday night after complaining of chest pains and shortness of breath.

Another sports official, a coach married to a Filipino who refused to be identified so as not to get family back home worried, was also taken to the same facility because of symptoms of a mild heart attack.

The 73-year-old Andrada, who had a successful bypass operation earlier this year, watched tennis action at the His Majesty the King’s 80th Birthday Anniversary courts, getting to and from the venue on foot under searing heat Wednesday afternoon.

That is because there are no vehicles allowed inside the athletes’ village, where he stays, and one would need to walk a long way from his room to the parking lot where rented vehicles are parked.

Officials of the Philippine Olympic Committee, where Andrada is the vice chair for membership, rushed the former tennis president to the hospital after taking him from his room at the Sima Thani Hotel.

The coach, meanwhile, has been given treatment and is now in stable condition, according to some athletes who stayed with Andrada at the ICU center.

They call Gabe Norwood the consummate teammate.

Members of the Harbour Centre-backed Philippine five, which formally won the basketball gold Thursday, are all praises for the former George Mason star in the US NCAA not only because of his skills but because of his attitude as well.

Team insiders told the Inquirer that this was not more evident than in a team-building session in Tagaytay a couple of weeks before the trip to here, when team officials deliberately checked in the team to a run-down hotel.

“He slept on the floor because the beds were too small (for him),” the team official said. “What he did was take the mattress off the bed and placed it on the floor, and we heard nothing from Gabe. He just wants to play.”

Being a team man showed in the Filipinos’ game against Malaysia on Wednesday, when Norwood took just one shot, which he made, to finish with just two points and let the homegrown members do all the damage in the title-clinching game.

gameface_one
07-15-2008, 07:10 AM
Norwood lacks requirements for annual draft

Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Philstar.com

The PBA will not relax or bend existing rules on Fil-foreign players to accommodate Gabe Norwood.

The PBA board agreed yesterday to stick with their old requirements, requiring Fil-foreign players, among others, to submit a Department of Justice clearance to become eligible for the 2008 PBA Rookie Draft set Aug. 31.

Norwood, through his agent Mark Chan, applied for the coming draft, without the assurance he would be able to secure the required documents.

Norwood beat the deadline for application among Fil-foreign players but his agent submitting only his Philippine passport and an immigration certificate showing the player is not in the bureau’s blacklist and watch list records.

The versatile 6-foot-5 player needed only the Philippine passport as his clearance to play for the RP team in the Fiba-Asia Olympic qualifier in Tokushima, Japan last year.

To be able to join the PBA draft pool, Norwood needs to back up his claim to Filipino citizenship with immigration certification and Department of Justice clearance. – Nelson Beltran

Wang-Bu
07-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Hindi ko talaga mawari kung bakit ayaw paglaruin ng PBA si Norwood bilang local samantalang sila itong tuwang-tuwa nung mapasali siya sa RP Team na binubuo ng mga PBA stars. Ano bang uri ng pagka-hipokrito meron ang mga tao diyan sa PBA?

Kawawa naman ang tao, maganda naman ang pinakitang laro, mukhang wala namang toyo, bagkus marami pa ngang nagsasabi na mabuti pa nga siyang tao, pero ayaw pa rin siyang isama ng PBA sa draft nila. Naalala ko tuloy ang ginawa nila kay Alex Compton.

Nag-RP Team na si Norwood, so sa mata ng buong daigdig PILIPINO siya. Ngayon ang lintek na PBA ayaw siyang pasalihin sa draft bilang Pinoy. Ang galing ano?

CrossOver
07-17-2008, 01:04 PM
Nag stick kasi PBA sa rules ang siguro kailangan gawin ay me mabago sa rules nila about sa mga fil-foreign players tama ka gustong gusto din makapag laro ni Gabe sa PBA maging si Alex Compton before kaso dahil sa rules wala silang magagawa sayang ang ganyang klaseng players.

melonade0205
07-31-2008, 07:24 PM
Norwood awaits PBA’s verdict
By Joaquin Henson
Thursday, July 31, 2008
It’s still not certain if Gabe Norwood will be declared eligible for the PBA draft on Aug. 31 even as Justice Secretary Raul Gonzalez has affirmed his right to Filipino citizenship under a 1973 Constitution provision.

Norwood is now in the US waiting for the decision on his eligibility by the PBA Board of Governors. His local representative Mark Chan said he plans to fly in two weeks before the PBA draft if the Board clears his eligibility.

Last Friday, Chan submitted to the PBA a four-page memorandum signed by Gonzalez and addressed to Foreign Affairs Secretary Alberto Romulo explaining why Norwood has a rightful claim to Filipino citizenship.

Gonzalez’ memorandum triggered the issuance of a Philippine passport to Norwood which he used to represent the country as a national cager at the FIBA-Asia Championships in Tokushima and the Southeast Asian Games in Bangkok last year.

PBA executive director Rickie Santos said the memorandum was forwarded by commissioner Sonny Barrios to league lawyers for review before making a recommendation to the Board.

“I was told that the PBA reserves the right to confirm or deny a draft applicant’s eligibility,” said Chan. “Right now, Gabe’s case is up in the air.”

Chan said he sought Games and Amusements Board chairman Eric Buhain’s counsel and was advised to pursue the case with the PBA on the strength of Gonzalez’ endorsement.

“An option was to get a Presidential Executive Order from Malacañang like Alex Crisano,” said Chan. “But we were informed Crisano’s case is different because he had already played in the PBA and all the PBA needed was a reconfirmation.”

Chan turned in Gonzalez’ memorandum as a document of proof to beat the July 25 deadline the PBA set for submission of papers. The PBA is requiring original copies of birth certificates of Fil-foreign draft applicants and their parents to be given by Aug. 29.

Chan said Norwood’s priority is to play in the PBA. He has offers to play in the National Basketball Development League, which is the NBA’s farm system, the National Basketball League in Australia and the French league. But Norwood is holding out for the opportunity to play in the PBA.

“Gabe is excited to play in the PBA,” said Chan. “He loves the Filipino fans and he considers it an honor to play for the country. He thinks if he plays elsewhere, it will be difficult to rejoin the national team because of conflict in schedules, distance and contract obligations.”

Norwood, 23, was born in North Carolina. He traces his Filipino roots to his maternal grandmother Francine Dora Viloria. Gonzalez said his mother Tiffiney Sainte Hardy is considered a Filipino national under the 1935 Constitution.

Gonzalez pointed out that Norwood’s mother was only 18 when he was born.

“Being a minor who had no chance to elect Philippine citizenship, Tiffiney should be treated as having enjoyed dual citizenship at the time (of Norwood’s birth),” said Gonzalez. “Having been born in the US, she is an American under the jus soli principle. At the same time, she is a Filipino citizen under the jus sanguinis principle as her mother appears to have retained her Philippine citizenship despite her marriage to an (African-American).”

Gonzalez said because Norwood was born to a Filipino mother, he gained the right to Philippine citizenship under Section 1(2) of Article III of the 1973 Constitution declaring as Philippine citizens “those whose fathers or mothers are citizens of the Philippines” at the time of their birth.

Gonzalez said Norwood has the right to be issued a Philippine passport in accordance with Section 5 of Republic Act No. 8239.

“Norwood’s case is a no-brainer,” said a source. “He has played twice for the Philippine team. He paid his dues in the PBL and acquitted himself admirably. He holds a Philippine passport. Surely, he is eligible to apply for the PBA draft as a Filipino citizen. It would be a denial of his human right if he is declared ineligible because after all, he is a Filipino citizen as affirmed by the Department of Justice.”

Im still hoping and praying that he makes it. okay honestly I think he's disappointed and frustrated... to think ang dami niyang sinakripisyo...offers to play in some foreign leagues which he turned down... I dont wanna say his exact words pero he said na halos magkasakit na siya sa mga "*******&&&" gym dito sa Pinas etc etc.. (sorry naman kay Gabe kung nasabi ko toh dito, just cant help it, Monkey, sorry)

melonade0205
08-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Waiting for Gabe
By: Zean Macamay
THERE’S no doubt that Gabe Norwood will be the undisputed No. 1 pick when the PBA holds its Annual Draft on Aug. 31.

Problem is, the league as of now doesn’t consider him a Filipino at all.

Commissioner Renauld ‘Sonny’ Barrios yesterday said that Norwood has yet to submit two vital and authentic documents that will back up his eligibility for the Draft despite the Fil-American’s possession of a Philippine passport.

“As of now, he is not eligible (for the Draft),” said Barrios yesterday. “Possessing a Philippine passport is not a be-all and end-all document that enables a player to join the Draft.”

The PBA requires that Norwood submit a certificate of affirmation from the Department of Justice and a certificate from the Bureau of Immigration authenticating his Filipino roots.

What Norwood had presented to the PBA, however, is a ‘position paper’ submitted by DoJ Secretary Raul Gonzales to Department of Foreign Affair chief Alberto Romulo last year.

In that letter, Gonzales said that Norwood ‘can be considered a Filipino because his mother, Tiffiney Sainte Hardy, was a minor when she gave birth to the cager (on Feb. 9, 1985 in North Carolina) in Honolulu, Hawaii.

“Being a minor who had no chance to elect Philippine citizenship, Tiffiney has dual citizenship despite her marriage to an Afro-American,” the letter stated.

Because of that ‘position paper,’ Norwood was able to acquire a Philippine passport, and was chosen as one of the players to represent the country in the FIBA Asia Qualifying Tournament in Tokushima, Japan last year.

The PBA has set a deadline of Aug. 22 for Fil-foreign aspirants to submit photo copies of their documents and an Aug. 29 deadline for the authentic copie of those xeroxed papers.

If the Fil-foreign cagers will not be able to present an authentic copy of their certificates, their applications are considered null.

“Madali naman kasing gumawa ng xeroxed copies of documents,” said Barrios. “Now what we need in order to authenticate those documents are the sealed or genuine certificates.”

A total of 35 players -- seven Fil-foreigners -- have already applied for the Draft set at the Market Market in Taguig late this month.

The number is expected to increase once the PBA closes its doors on applicants at 12 noon tomorrow.

If Norwood cannot comply with the requirements, it could throw the order of picks in the Draft in disarray.

Welcoat and Talk ‘N Text, the two teams with the lowest rankings for the season, will battle if out for the No. 1 pick.

The Dragons have 2 envelopes and the Phone Pals 1 in the lottery held during the halftime break of the Air21-Ginebra Game 3 Finals last night.

According to Barrios, only 2 Fil-foreigners -- burly guard Solomon Mercado and Kevin Dalafu -- have no problems whatsoever in their documents.

Meanwhile, A Noli Locsin-led Pro Stats squad squandered leads of as much 18 points but hung tough in the homestretch to eliminate the Allan Caidic and Samboy Lim-led PBA Press Corps 89-85 and advance to the Finals of the 17th Raffy Japa Cup basketball tournament yesterday (Sunday) at the Xavier Gym.

The PBA statisticians' import in the double knockout tourney sponsored by the PBA Media Bureau, Accel and Air21, Locsin was virtually unstoppable inside, finishing with a game-high 34 points but it was Cris Hernando who knocked in two free throws that gave Pro Stats an 87-82 cushion time down to just 13 seconds remaining.

Pro Stats advances to the Finals against the twice-to-beat SMC All-Stars. The Finals will start on Friday at the Cuneta Astrodome.

After Hernando's charities, the PBAPC's Joel Orellana then missed on a hurried trey that led to a Roy Lopez fastbreak lay-up off a Locsin assist that made it 89-82 for Pro Stats before Caidic pegged the final score with a triple that beat the buzzer.

Ariel Apostol's 16 points, built around four triples, led four other players who scored in double-digits for Pro Stats, the 2003 champion, which won the game despite missing the services of its other import, Vergel Meneses.

Caidic and Lim led the PBA Press Corps with their 27 and 22 points, respectively, while Josef Ramos added 12 and Orellana 10. People's Journal

pachador
08-12-2008, 11:39 AM
barrio mentality ;D

Hindi ko talaga mawari kung bakit ayaw paglaruin ng PBA si Norwood bilang local samantalang sila itong tuwang-tuwa nung mapasali siya sa RP Team na binubuo ng mga PBA stars. Ano bang uri ng pagka-hipokrito meron ang mga tao diyan sa PBA?

Kawawa naman ang tao, maganda naman ang pinakitang laro, mukhang wala namang toyo, bagkus marami pa ngang nagsasabi na mabuti pa nga siyang tao, pero ayaw pa rin siyang isama ng PBA sa draft nila. Naalala ko tuloy ang ginawa nila kay Alex Compton.

Nag-RP Team na si Norwood, so sa mata ng buong daigdig PILIPINO siya. Ngayon ang lintek na PBA ayaw siyang pasalihin sa draft bilang Pinoy. Ang galing ano?

Semenelin
08-12-2008, 04:57 PM
gaya ng lahat ng pinipilahan dito sa pinas, pwede magbayad. ang tanong, sino ang gusto magbayad at may kasiguruduhan ba na sa kanila mapupunta si gabe come draft night? oo, naniniwala ako pwede sila magbayad kung kanino man paa maayus na papers nya.

melonade0205
08-13-2008, 07:22 PM

I guess the reason is ung iniiwasan lang nila na maulit ung nangyari before sa issue sa mga fil-shams...

on the other hand, tama ka eh. kinakawawa si Gabe. laki ng sakripisyo ng tao.. nananahimik siya sa USA, biglang dumating tohng si Coach Chot to ask him to play for the Philippine Flag. niconsider siya na filipino that's why nakasecure siya ng philippine passport... di nga kaya di siya hinigpitan before dahil KAILANGAN siya. attitude wise, wala kang tulak kabigin kay Gabe. he's has the air of sportsmanship! at kahit saan siya pumunta minamahal siya ng mga tao, ng mga fans! attitude on court? need I say the obvious? pati ang laking sakripisyo niya eh. kung matatandaan, before he played in the PBL, he was offered to play in a certain French or Euroleague if my memory's correct! then the Singapore Slingers, actually, first showed interest in hiring his services as an Asian Import in the NBL (yes, before Jason Castro). pero he turned the offer down because he was really intent in complying with the 25 local game requirements! napaka-unfair lang talaga for him!

melonade0205
08-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Norwood a step closer to PBA Draft eligibility
08/21/2008 | 06:35 PM

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) decided to take a softer stand on Filipino-American Gabe Norwood who has been allowed to take part in the August 31 Annual Draft.

Commissioner Sonny Barrios, soon after the league’s board meeting Thursday at the PBA office, made the change of heart only weeks after he declared that Norwood wouldn’t be eligible for the Draft because he had yet to complete his citizenship papers.

But after conferring recently with the PBA board, Barrios gave Norwood the go-signal.

“The fact that he was given a Philippine passport that allowed him to play for the national team, I asked the PBA board to waive several documents Norwood was supposed to submit," Barrios said, referring to his birth certificate and the marriage contract of his parents.

Barrios reiterated, however, that the PBA would wait on Norwood’s other documents, including affirmation papers duly accredited by the Department of Justice (DoJ)and Bureau of Immigration (BI). The PBA set an August 29 deadline.

“Without the DoJ and BI papers, he would still be ineligible to join the Draft," said Barrios.

Norwood, who is expected to be picked by Welcoat as the top overall choice, played for the national team in the Japan FIBA-Asia Olympic qualifiers and the Southeast Asian Games in Thailand last year. – GMANews.TV

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/115254/Its-a-go-for-Fil-Am-Norwood-in-PBA-Draft

myktristan
08-22-2008, 10:04 AM
PBA takes it easy on Norwood
http://www.journal.com.ph/index.php?issue=2008-08-22&sec=7&aid=70703

THE Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) yesterday decided to take a soft stand against Fil-American Gabe Norwood, allowing him to take part in the Aug. 31 Annual Draft.

Commissioner Renauld ‘Sonny’ Barrios, soon after the league’s board meeting yesterday at the PBA office, bared this stunning decision only weeks after he himself said that Norwood isn’t still eligible for the Draft because of documents he has yet to submit to the PBA.

Barrios said that Norwood being part of the national team and holder of a Philippine passport were enough reasons to allow him to join the PBA.

“Because of that, and the fact that he was given a Philippine Passport that allowed him to play for the national team, I asked the PBA board to waive several documents Norwood is suppose to submit,” Barrios said.

Barrios brought the topic to the Board members, who approved of the proposal.

The PBA chief decided to waive special documents Norwood should submit – his birth certificate and the marriage contract of his parents.

The PBA chief, however, remains firm that Norwood would still have to submit his affirmation papers coming from the Department of Justice and a certificate from the Bureau of Immigration before the Aug. 29 deadline for Fil-foreign players.