PDA

View Full Version : Im Confused..........

Dark Knight
10-19-2007, 06:07 PM
Since im just exploring the FMC, i have lots of questions about this tournament. I scanned this section and i found 5th FMC Division II, then theres FMC Summer Tournaments, then* theres the Open Tourament, then theres the 12th FMC........

Here are my questions:

How many times does the FMC is being held each year?

What are the tournament titles? (like Open Tourey, Summer Tourney, Division II etc??)

Can someone post the history of this league? Like the past champions?

Is there an official site?

Who is Father Martin?

Thank you very much in advance and pardon my ignorance.* ;D

AnthonyServinio
10-20-2007, 09:34 AM
Since im just exploring the FMC, i have lots of questions about this tournament. I scanned this section and i found 5th FMC Division II, then theres FMC Summer Tournaments, then* theres the Open Tourament, then theres the 12th FMC........

Here are my questions:

How many times does the FMC is being held each year?

What are the tournament titles? (like Open Tourey, Summer Tourney, Division II etc??)

Can someone post the history of this league? Like the past champions?

Is there an official site?

Who is Father Martin?

Thank you very much in advance and pardon my ignorance.* ;D

* * *THE Father Martin Foundation holds three (3) tournaments every school year:

* * *1.* Father Martin Cup - summer vacation
* * *2.* Father Martin Cup Division II - First Semester
* * *3.* Father Martin Open - Second Semester

* * *The tournaments are named after Fr. Edgar Martin, SJ, a Jesuit priest who handled the basketball and overall sports programs at Ateneo de Manila and later became a ranking official of the old Basketball Association of the Philippines (BAP) when it was still run by men of honor.

Gameface.Ph is the official media portal of the Father Martin Foundation.

gameface_one
10-20-2007, 10:51 AM
^^^There was a recent change in the management of the league. The tournament director used to be Mr. Noel Ascue but Coach Ato Badolato has taken over effective the last 2 conferences.

Brief history of the Fr. Martin was discussed by Mr. Ascue in our interview with him about 2 years ago. you can search the article archive section in the homepage for this.

We are in the process of forging another arrangement with the leage to create a stand alone website. But as of now, the FMC forum section and the first FMC webpage (access thru our homepage by clicking the FMC icon or go to the Leagues menu button). Old photos also of FMC are digitized and available in our Gallery section.

Dark Knight
10-20-2007, 03:18 PM
Thank you very much sirs Gameface One and Anthony Servinio. You helped me a lot. :)

This site is the best when it comes to amateur basketball.

red cub
10-28-2007, 08:37 PM
* *Greetings Dark Knight!
* * * * * * * * I just got to logged-in and I read your inquiries regarding the Fr. Martin Cup. This league is a brainchild of BEST founder and ex-BAP Secretary-General Nic Jorge, together with Mr. Noel Ascue of Ateneo and Mr. Ato Badolato of San Beda 13 years ago. Fr. Edgar Martin S.J. is a Jesuit priest of Ateneo de Manila, and if anyone can correct me, he was the representative of the school when they were still members of the NCAA in the late sixties and early seventies. Then, he was appointed Secretary-General of the old Basketball Association of the Philippines of then Mr. Lito Puyat. Fr. Martin handled the day-to-day activities / tournaments of the BAP, despite his old age I ain't sure if he was still alive, when these three gentlemen I mentioned earlier when they named this newly-formed collegiate/high school league in his honor.
The main purpose on why Fr. Martin Cup was put-up, is to give the collegiate and high school teams in preparation for their school leagues, like the NCAA, UAAP, CUSA, NCRAA a chance to gauge how ready there team is by playing on a pre-season developmental summer league, by playing against the school teams of your own and of the other leagues.
Being an Jesuit priest of Ateneo, it was Noel Ascue of Ateneo who handled the day-to-day activities of the league for the first 12 years. It was only middle of last year, when Mr Ascue requested he be replaced as he was seeking for a leave of absence from his work at Ateneo. The baton was then turned-over to Mr. Ato Badolato of San Beda College to handle the organization of every conference, but appointed multi-titled UST coach Aric del Rosario as Commissioner, to handle every gameday activities.
Fr. Martin Cup holds 3 conferences/tournaments in a year. The main tournament and the biggest in regards to number of particiipants is the Fr. Martin Summer Cup, which is on its 13th year and is held during the summer months (April to May). This year, Arellano University Chiefs, NCRAA current champions, took the collegiate crown, while three-time NCAA Junior champions, San Sebastian Staglets won and defended their secondary crown. The Fr. Martin Division II Cup, which concluded its 5th year just two weeks ago, was put-up to give the collegiate and secondary Team B or farm team to test their mettle against other school teams of the same level or much stronger. It's held every August to October of the year, running along side with the major collegiate leagues, the UAAP and NCAA. San Beda Red Lions Team B and the NCRAA Junior champions, the Arellano Baby Chiefs won the collegiate and secondary crowns respectively. The last and "baby" of the three conferences/tournaments is the Fr. Martin Open Cup. Normally held right after the Christmas break, but 4th edition will open on November 24, a month and a half ahead of time, not to conflict with the HAIL League of Mr. Tanny Gonzalez. As of today, Letran, STI Colleges, MMC, San Beda, La Consolacion College Manila, NCBA Team B and San Sebastian College- Recoletos have signified their intentions of participating.
If you have more inquiries about the Fr, Martin Cup, feel free to call-up Mr. Joey Lim, it's newly appointed Secretary-General at 0917-8100233, and I am sure he will answer all your other inquiries

Dark Knight
10-29-2007, 04:39 PM
Wow, red cub, thank you very much for the info. It was very helpful. :)

I'll just post here something to remember so i can visit this thread when i need to remember something.

The FMC Summer League is on its 13th year this coming summer of 2008.

The FMC Division II will be holding their 6th year in the next staging of the tournament.

The FMC Open is on their 4th year this nov. 24.

Im really researching for the history of this league.

Now im looking for the list of past champions. Thank you very much.

Wait, is there an office where i can visit? ;D

red cub
11-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Glad I was a help to you Dark Knight. I hope what I told you could help you to know the league better, pero correction lang, the FMC Summer League this coming summer will be its 14th season. In regards to the real history of the league, I am at a lost since I have already talked to Mr. Ascue before the holidays and he told me he had already deleted all his FMC files prior to giving a copy to Mr. Henry Abes, (Game Face.ph big boss). We'll get in-touch with him after the holidays.(Calling Mr.Abes, please get in-touch with me, once you are in town)
Since Coach Ato Badolato is the Tournament Organizer, the FMC holds office at the Athletic Office, San Beda College, Mendiola, Manila. Sorry to inform you that there are no FMC materials in that office, except for the invitations we will be sending to all Metro Manila colleges within the week, in regards to the November 12 organizational meeting we are inviting them to attend if they are interested to join. The team line-ups and newspaper clippings of the past two FMC tourneys are with Joey Lim
If you anymore questions regarding the FMC leagues, just write all down and post it, and we will try to answer all.
God bless and have a nice day!

Dark Knight
11-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Maraming salamat po sir Red Cub. ;)

Actually, im just looking for the complete list of champions for each tournament since the beginning.

Thanks in advance if you could provide them. Pasensya na sa abala.

red cub
11-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Walang abala sa akin, in fact, maraming salamat nga for your interest in a league that has been existing for the past 13 years already. I really have to get back to Mr. Ascue, since Mr. Abes had already responded to me last night, and all that was turnover to him are pictures which you may now find in the Gallery section of this website. It's almost near to impossible what you are requesting, but I too am hopeful that we could get those list of previous champions.
Hope you could drop-by one FMC gameday, so we could meet. Para makilala mo rin ang Commissioner, si Coach Aric del Rosario.
Please lang, paki tanggal lang yung "sir" pagtawag sa akin. Kaya red cub, batang lion ako, kaya bata pa kasi ako

Dark Knight
11-27-2007, 02:09 PM
Im hoping to watch the FEU vs SSC game on dec 1, if my schedule permits.

Can anyone post here the past champions of FMC Open?.

AnthonyServinio
11-28-2007, 02:46 AM

Father Martin Open Champions
2005-2006* Ateneo de Manila University
2006-2007* Ateneo de Manila University
2007-2008* ?

Dark Knight
11-28-2007, 09:03 AM
Salamat po sir Anthony. :)

Sam Miguel
01-22-2008, 03:40 PM
Any updated schedules for this weekend's games, times and venues?

stonecold316
01-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Greetings Dark Knight!
I just got to logged-in and I read your inquiries regarding the Fr. Martin Cup. This league is a brainchild of BEST founder and ex-BAP Secretary-General Nic Jorge, together with Mr. Noel Ascue of Ateneo and Mr. Ato Badolato of San Beda 13 years ago. Fr. Edgar Martin S.J. is a Jesuit priest of Ateneo de Manila, and if anyone can correct me, he was the representative of the school when they were still members of the NCAA in the late sixties and early seventies. Then, he was appointed Secretary-General of the old Basketball Association of the Philippines of then Mr. Lito Puyat. Fr. Martin handled the day-to-day activities / tournaments of the BAP, despite his old age I ain't sure if he was still alive, when these three gentlemen I mentioned earlier when they named this newly-formed collegiate/high school league in his honor.
The main purpose on why Fr. Martin Cup was put-up, is to give the collegiate and high school teams in preparation for their school leagues, like the NCAA, UAAP, CUSA, NCRAA a chance to gauge how ready there team is by playing on a pre-season developmental summer league, by playing against the school teams of your own and of the other leagues.
Being an Jesuit priest of Ateneo, it was Noel Ascue of Ateneo who handled the day-to-day activities of the league for the first 12 years. It was only middle of last year, when Mr Ascue requested he be replaced as he was seeking for a leave of absence from his work at Ateneo. The baton was then turned-over to Mr. Ato Badolato of San Beda College to handle the organization of every conference, but appointed multi-titled UST coach Aric del Rosario as Commissioner, to handle every gameday activities.
Fr. Martin Cup holds 3 conferences/tournaments in a year. The main tournament and the biggest in regards to number of particiipants is the Fr. Martin Summer Cup, which is on its 13th year and is held during the summer months (April to May). This year, Arellano University Chiefs, NCRAA current champions, took the collegiate crown, while three-time NCAA Junior champions, San Sebastian Staglets won and defended their secondary crown. The Fr. Martin Division II Cup, which concluded its 5th year just two weeks ago, was put-up to give the collegiate and secondary Team B or farm team to test their mettle against other school teams of the same level or much stronger. It's held every August to October of the year, running along side with the major collegiate leagues, the UAAP and NCAA. San Beda Red Lions Team B and the NCRAA Junior champions, the Arellano Baby Chiefs won the collegiate and secondary crowns respectively. The last and "baby" of the three conferences/tournaments is the Fr. Martin Open Cup. Normally held right after the Christmas break, but 4th edition will open on November 24, a month and a half ahead of time, not to conflict with the HAIL League of Mr. Tanny Gonzalez. As of today, Letran, STI Colleges, MMC, San Beda, La Consolacion College Manila, NCBA Team B and San Sebastian College- Recoletos have signified their intentions of participating.
If you have more inquiries about the Fr, Martin Cup, feel free to call-up Mr. Joey Lim, it's newly appointed Secretary-General at 0917-8100233, and I am sure he will answer all your other inquiries

Thanks for this Red Cub. At least the readers and members of gameface.ph already has knowledge about the history of the Fr. Martin Cup. As far as i know, UST dominated the early stages of the Cup in 1994 and 1995 during the time of future PBA players Dennis Espino, Bal David, Richard Yee, and Richard Melencio.

Anyway, if it will be ok with you, can you post all the schools that managed to win a Fr. Martin crown since its creation some 13 years ago. I hope you won't mind. Ty very much and more power.

stonecold316

technologica
03-02-2008, 02:37 PM

Father Martin Open Champions
2005-2006* Ateneo de Manila University
2006-2007* Ateneo de Manila University
2007-2008* ?

2007-2008 University Of The East Red Warriors
University Of The East 10-0
UE Defeat San Sebastian College 10-0 Knock Out Game in San Beda St. Placids Sports Complex

University Of The East Red Warriors 11-0 Sweep Champions

thadzonline
03-04-2008, 11:08 AM
kailan po ba ang summer tourney? pwede ba ang non-UAAP and non-NCAA teams from out of town?

AnthonyServinio
03-04-2008, 01:58 PM
kailan po ba ang summer tourney? pwede ba ang non-UAAP and non-NCAA teams from out of town?

* * *YES, in fact this year's defending champion is Arellano University of the NCRAA.* A lot of teams from NCRAA, CUSA and NAASCU make Father Martin part of their summer program.

* * *In the past, the Father Martin Cup has drawn provincial entries from as far as the University of Northern Philippines of Vigan City to the University of the Assumption-Pampanga to the University of Nueva Caceres (or was it Ateneo de Naga University?) in Naga City. A current "suki" of the tournament is the San Sebastian College-Cavite Baycats from Cavite City.

Joescoundrel
04-04-2008, 11:12 AM
FMC Sec Gen Joey Lim explained to me that they named the tournament after Fr Edgar Martin SJ so that there would be no politicians or politicking attached to the tournament, such as for instance if they had named it the Fred Lim Cup or Lito Atienza Cup. Notice how awful "Pichay Cup" sounds.

Fr Edgar Martin was also apparently the longest-serving head of the old BAP when that organization was still run by men of sterling qualities unlike the motherf---ers we have now who wouldn't know a pick and roll from a cinnamon roll and who are better off being drawn, quartered, thrown into a kiln, tossed to the dogs ... never mind ...

makotosing
11-12-2008, 12:28 AM
si father edgar martin..sya po yang edgar sa parokya ni edgar:)

Raging Blue
11-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Notice how awful "Pichay Cup" sounds.

I can imagine the shape of the trophy that will be handed out. Berde pa * :D

Dark Knight
04-29-2014, 02:37 PM
Can someone here post the FMC Summer League Champions (Mens Seniors Division) from 1995 to 2006?

Thank you sirs.