PDA

View Full Version : San Miguel Beermen/Magnolia Beverage Masters fans thread

yokam
10-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Magnolia just had an impressive game against the high octane Air21 in their very first game of the season. Enrico Villanueva's 20 points is a message that there should be no problem for Magnolia even though Dorian Peña is out because he can handle such load. Danny Seigle and Dondon Hontiveros on the other one showed and proved why they were included in the RP National Team and never had any difficulties adopting to the new rules implemented by the PBA.

Over all, Magnolia is indeed a team to beat. They've got good and reliable players in each and every position. And the good thing is that these players can still go for about 5 to 6 years. Could be this the start of another SMB/Magnolia dynasty? Will they win it all this season and have another grand slam?

I also hope Danny Seigle won't be having any serious injuries once again and hope that he'll finally win an MVP award.

fer15
10-19-2007, 04:12 PM
yah..that's the team to beat..with dondon and danny s back on the team..they sure will make it big time.. ;D I watch every game they play here in Cebu.. :)

lady_warrior
10-19-2007, 10:43 PM
i love this team so much...heheh

irateluvmachine
10-24-2007, 03:21 PM
BY THE POWER OF (D.I./DYNAMITE/E-VIL/etc.)
WE ARE MAGNOLIA...MASTERS OF THE BEVERAGE!!! :D

sorry...can't help it...i wonder why they bothered with the name change...

...injured din ba si calaguio? i don't think he's suited up in the first 2 games...

yokam
10-25-2007, 07:53 AM
For most part, they changed the name to Magnolia for advertisement purposes. I won't be surprised if they'll be using San Miguel Beermen soon, just like Coney Island and Purefoods before.

Anyway, so far, so good. Magnolia is 2-0 entering their third game of the season, against the pesky Purefoods.

sa_pula
10-28-2007, 09:00 PM
sa sobrang lakas ng magnoLia hindi na ako magtataka kung magdesisyon ang PBA na sa susunod na ALL star event maging PBA selection team vs magnoLia beverage na instead of traditional north vs south. ;D

yokam
11-05-2007, 09:01 AM
With all the hype surrounding Magnolia, they still started 3-2. They lost to early leaders Purefoods and supposedly stats and paper rivals Talk 'N Text.

amdgc82
04-02-2008, 05:55 AM
At home ang mga bagong bata ng Magnolia (http://www.journal.com.ph/index.php?issue=2008-04-02&sec=7&aid=54553)
April 02, 2008 06:41 PM Wednesday*
www.journal.com.ph

INAASAHANG malaki ang maitutulong nina Marc Pingris, Mike Cortez, Kenneth Bono at Chester Tolomia sa kampanya ng Magnolia Beverage Masters sa Fiesta Cup ng Philippine Basketball Association (PBA).
At dito lubos na nagagalak si Danny Seigle.
“These guys are really welcome additions to the team. And just like before, I like what I am seeing. Everyone in the team is talented, and all we need is time to play together and combine our individual strengths,” ani Seigle.
Kinikilalang kapalit ng beteranong si Olsen Racela si Cortez, na iba ngunit naaangkop din ang estilo sa Beverage Masters, na hawak ng San Miguel Beverages Inc. (SMBI) na gumagawa ng Magnolia Healthtea at Fruit Drinks.
“I’m excited to make this team and I know for sure that it’s going to be different. From the start, I already feel that I’m a part of the family,” ani Cortez na maagap na sinabi na marami pa siyang dapat matutunan kina Racela at coach Siot Tanquingcen.
Kung may katulong na si Racela, sina Pingris at Bono naman ang papasan ng rebounding at depensa upang alalayan sina Dorian Pena, Ildefonso a tSamigue Eman.
“Alam ko naman sa depensa at rebounding ang maitutulong ko sa team kahit di pa sabihin ni coach Siot. Panibagong adjustment ito para sa akin at okay lang naman sa akin basta makatulong sa team,” ani Pingris.
Si Bono naman ay matangkad, bukod pa sa kanyang tira sa labas.
“Malaki ang maitutulong ko. Excited akong mapunta sa Magnolia kasi makakasama ko na rin ang mga idol kong sina Danny I. (Ildefonso) at Danny Seigle,” anang dating Adamson Falcon.* *
Idagdag pa sina Chester Tolomia at import Jameel Watkins kina Chris Calaguio, Dondon Hontiveros at Lordy Tugade, at maaaring malayo ang mararating ng Magnolia.

amdgc82
04-02-2008, 06:02 AM
Pingris, 3 others raring to prove true worth (http://www.malaya.com.ph/apr02/spor3.htm)
www.malaya.com.ph

MARC Pingris, Mike Cortez, Kenneth Bono, and Chester Tolomia are all expected to make their presence felt when Magnolia battles Purefoods today in the resumption of the Smart PBA Fiesta Cup at the Araneta Coliseum.

And Danny Seigle, who is expected to return to action after a long bout with injury, couldn't be happier.

"These guys are really welcome additions to the team. Everyone in the team is talented, all we need is time to play together and combine our individual strengths," Seigle stressed.

Brought in to take over from veteran point guard Olsen Racela, Cortez brings a flashier but solid playmaking style to the Beverage Masters, who carry the flag of San Miguel Beverages Inc. brands like Magnolia Healthtea and Fruit Drinks.

"I'm excited to make this team and I know for sure it's going to be different. I already feel I'm a part of the family," Cortez said, adding he has to learn a lot from Racela and coach Siot Tanquingcen on how to run the team.

Pingris and Bono, meanwhile, are expected to make rebounding and interior defense chores easier for regular big men Dorian Pena, Ildefonso and Samigue Eman.

At 6-foot-3, the long-limbed and high-leaping Pingris was a solid defender, rebounder and shot blocker at Purefoods.

"Alam ko naman na depensa at rebounding ang maitutulong ko sa team kahit di man sabihin ni coach Siot. Panibagong adjustment ito para sa akin pero okay lang, basta makatulong sa team," said Pingris.

Bono brings to the Beverage Masters his size and smooth touch from the outside.

"Malaki ang maitutulong ko. Excited akong maglaro sa Magnolia kasi makakasama ko na rin ang mga idol kong sina Danny I. (Ildefonso) at Danny Seigle," said Bono, a former UAAP Most Valuable Player awardee with the Adamson Falcon.

Add veteran forward Chester Tolomia and dependable import Jameel Watkins to the mix that also includes Chris Calaguio, Dondon Hontiveros and sniper Lordy Tugade and the Beverage Masters will surely develop into a title contender soon.

joelex
04-02-2008, 11:12 PM
although they lost, cortez seems to be a better fit in magnolia. he penetrates and is an offensive threat and more importantly has the size to do so.

meanwhile fonacier played well also, going perfect from downtown.

erichubert
04-02-2008, 11:53 PM
Sadly, he also cost the team the game with his numerous turnovers during the end game. LA didn't do too well too with his first game, shooting terribly and committing a lot of turnovers of his own. The jury is still out on this trade.

shyboy
04-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Wow, may fans thread dito sa Gameface. :D

The_Big_Cat
04-03-2008, 01:59 PM
I think Mike Cortez is the right man to quarterback Magnolia. Deliberate, conservative and half-court ang style ng Magnolia ever since pa. He fits the description of what Olsen Racela was to this team. But I feel they should have let go of Dorian Pena. I know Siot values the leaderships of his veterans but they have Bono and Eman to fill Dorian's role.

chocoks77
04-08-2008, 12:00 PM
I think Magnolia should trade Danny Seigle. He is vastly overrated

dark_seid
04-08-2008, 12:24 PM

hmmmm ... so who's more overrated, danny ildefonso or danny seigle?

The_Big_Cat
04-08-2008, 12:38 PM

hmmmm ... so who's more overrated, danny ildefonso or danny seigle?

Danny Ildefonso is not the Danny Ildefonso of old. At least for the last 3 years. He has not posted the same numbers from his back-to-back MVP season of 2000 and 2001.

For Danny Seigle after the achiles injury in 2002. He was not the same person who would dominate the game anymore. And with another injury last year prior to the FIBA Asia Championships in Tokushima, Seigle's health remains to be the factor with his consistency.

They are both over 30 years old and it could be a reasonable if they do trade them while they still have value.

chocoks77
04-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Danny Ildefonso's decline began when he played in the RP national team(forget when though) wherein the coaching staff wanted him to play the 2/3 position. He was made to slim down so he could run side by side with the guards and small forwards from other countries. Remember, he was a force to reckon with underneath the basket. Even Asi could not defend him.

I'm speculating here, but maybe his injuries were caused by this forced-to-slim-down that when they played PBA ball again, his body never did adapt back and thus causing the countless foot injuries he had. He also had to overhaul his arsenal thus now becomng more of a shooting big man.

Danny Seigle for all the firepower he provided was a show-stopper, literally. The show would stop when he had the ball ;D. He does not have any defense whatsoever. He gets irritated when he does not get his hands on the ball often. He does not have spring in his legs anymore and seems to me does not do any strength training for his lower limbs anymore.

The_Big_Cat
04-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Danny Ildefonso's decline began when he played in the RP national team(forget when though) wherein the coaching staff wanted him to play the 2/3 position. He was made to slim down so he could run side by side with the guards and small forwards from other countries. Remember, he was a force to reckon with underneath the basket. Even Asi could not defend him.

I'm speculating here, but maybe his injuries were caused by this forced-to-slim-down that when they played PBA ball again, his body never did adapt back and thus causing the countless foot injuries he had. He also had to overhaul his arsenal thus now becomng more of a shooting big man.

Danny Seigle for all the firepower he provided was a show-stopper, literally. The show would stop when he had the ball ;D. He does not have any defense whatsoever. He gets irritated when he does not get his hands on the ball often. He does not have spring in his legs anymore and seems to me does not do any strength training for his lower limbs anymore.

Yes. Danny Seigle was the prolific scorer of that 2002 Team but sadly got injured in an exhibition game against Qatar at the Araneta Coliseum less than a month before the 2002 Busan Asian Games.

Impressive starting five by then national team coach Jong Uichico. Racela, Cariaso, Seigle, Menk and Taulava. Duremdes took Seigle's position after the injury.

erichubert
04-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Danny I and Danny S are still productive for Magnolia, the problem is they are being counted on to be the main stars, yet their game is already on a decline, hence the problem of Magnolia. Seigle is still good for 15-20 pts a game and around 6-8 rebounds, so he is still good, maybe just not good enough specially with younger guys like Kelly Williams, James Yap and Arwind Santos producing more.

coreytaylor
04-08-2008, 06:35 PM
nah... for me, its bcoz of the star studded line-up. unlike before, there are many offensive options in team (cortez,pingris,tugade). they are getting old too.

The_Big_Cat
04-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Danny Seigle and Danny Ildefonso could use a change of scenery for them to re-vitalize their careers. An example would be Asi Taulava. And more popularly these days, Kevin Garnett in the NBA. Sometmes a change of address could be the solution to a "struggling superstar".

dark_seid
04-10-2008, 02:04 AM
or as shown recently by sta. lucia's dennis espino and marlou aquino, a fresh influx of energy from new blood (rookies, sophomores) can do wonders also. but since management is going/went for the galaxy of stars approach, the possible rejuvenation (or to be more direct -- "passion/love for the game") most probably will not happen soon.

erichubert
04-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Well I don't think the two Dannys are at the level of Marlou and Dennis yet as of now, they have more to offer than just playing leadership roles and backing up the young guns. I agree that maybe there are too many other options right now, but the problem with Magnolia's other options is they are all veterans too, they need a young up and coming player to fire up the team like what Kelly, Omolon and Denok did with SLR. Tugade is 31, Calaguio is 35, Dondon is in his 30s too, only Cortez is relatively young at 28.

untamed
09-16-2008, 10:58 PM
totoo bang lalaro si penisi sa smb? tsk tsk! too much star in the team...

tigerman
09-16-2008, 11:08 PM
This team is one of the exceptions to the salary cap rule.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

joelex
09-17-2008, 12:10 AM
as a coach id rather have yeng guiao's problem rather than siot's. While yeng has little to work with given his bosses other priorities, I dont think having to coach 12 all stars is something to be envious about, its a very very difficult job for siot here.

tigerman
09-17-2008, 10:57 AM
That's why Siot is having a hard time with this team. He's not the type of a coach who can guide a team loaded with stars. Siot is more fit with a team na hindi masyado star-studded.

Si Jong naman kabaligtaran niya, hirap kapag kulang sa stars. But slowly but surely, the latter's proving his critics wrong as shown by the recent championship of Ginebra.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

coreytaylor
09-17-2008, 11:26 AM
^^^ Kung ganun, eh di dapat ibalik ng San Mig Managament si Coach Jong sa San Miguel! Si Coach Siot naman, balik Ginebra! ;D

The_Big_Cat
09-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Again, San Miguel looks strong "on paper". I just hope they would translate their big off-season acquisitions to wins this time around.

durden_tyler
09-17-2008, 12:24 PM
Yeah, and you can call us the paper champions. S^cks to be an SMB fan these days.

And yes, acquiring Pennissi was a despicable move. So was the one for Cortez, and stretching it a little bit with Tugade.

joelex
09-17-2008, 01:50 PM
yes i think this team is the strongest on paper in recent memory, probably since the tanduay 2000 team. Imagine adding J-Wash and Pennisi for nothing since they gave up draft picks.

If I were SMB, id give away both DI and DS.P Or since wala na ring takers yan malamang, give them limited roles like what SLR is doing with marlou and dennis since wala na rin silang market value. Give more time to Eman and Bono para mabigyan ng chance. Bono is a UAAP MVP and Eman is 6-9 with US training.

durden_tyler
09-17-2008, 06:14 PM
If I were SMB, id give away both DI and DS.P Or since wala na ring takers yan malamang, give them limited roles like what SLR is doing with marlou and dennis since wala na rin silang market value. Give more time to Eman and Bono para mabigyan ng chance. Bono is a UAAP MVP and Eman is 6-9 with US training.

The real problem of Siot is those two guys actually.

The_Big_Cat
09-17-2008, 06:26 PM

I agree with this.
Actually, I thought San Miguel would be trading away Danny Ildefonso for Marc Pingris but instead they gave away the much younger Enrico Villanueva.

Pababa na ang career ni Danny Seigle and he is also injury prone. The same goes to Danny Ildefonso. Danny Seigle's best season in the PBA by far was his rookie season of 1999 where he was the number 2 vote getter in the MVP race behind winner Benjie Paras.

coreytaylor
09-19-2008, 04:17 PM
^^ Teka teka! Speaking of oldies..nakalimotan nyo ata sina Olsen at Dorian...Kung ako si Olsen, I should have retired and joined the SMB coaching staff na 2 seasons ago when LA Tenorio came. Badtrip tuloy, na-trade si LA.

tigerman
09-20-2008, 03:22 PM
^^ Teka teka! Speaking of oldies..nakalimotan nyo ata sina Olsen at Dorian...Kung ako si Olsen, I should have retired and joined the SMB coaching staff na 2 seasons ago when LA Tenorio came. Badtrip tuloy, na-trade si LA.

Are you trying to say that Tenorio was traded because Olsen decided not to retire?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

jieun17
09-20-2008, 11:04 PM
i think, olsen is still very much capable of handling the team especially in times that tactics do not work. his experience plus the sense of leadership he shows everytime he steps up in the court is still unmatched. anyway, olsen is still olsen, he may not give the points from his own shooting hands but he will and still will provide the team the plays and the assists they'll be needing to be able to win.

in the case of LA being traded to the aces,olsen still playing has nothing to do with it. LA is supposed to take over the point position of olsen but was still in training even before he was traded.

just look at it in this point of view, if olsen could not retire even when the very capable and "at home" LA was still in the MBM/SBM , how in the world will he retire when cortez, a newbie in the team is set to take over his responsibilities? i am not saying that cortez is incapable of the point position, its just that he's not even a year in the team!* as to what olsen had said, the team is still lacking of "chemistry on court',thus they still need to jive with the other players specially the new ones to be able to play well on the court and reflect the so-called "power on paper"is to the team standings .

coreytaylor
09-20-2008, 11:32 PM

Are you trying to say that Tenorio was traded because Olsen decided not to retire?

No. Badtrip lang talaga na na-trade si LA. ;D

jieun17
09-27-2008, 04:40 PM
i certainly agree with coreytaylor! there is no one as capable as LA is that is very much deserving to take over Olsen's responsibilities in the SMB/MBM roster! even olsen was shocked when LA was traded! >:(
do you think there is a way he could go back to san miguel? ???

coreytaylor
10-06-2008, 04:03 PM
basing on yesterday's game, i think danny seagle and olsen should join the smb coaching staff already. they do really look old in wearing those jerseys. ;D and danny ain't the same old danny the mvp anymore. ;D

tigerman
10-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Bonbon Custodio had a great debut as a pro player last night. Teammates pala sila ni Mike Cortez. opps... ;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

a_ron
10-06-2008, 07:30 PM
both of them..

coreytaylor
10-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Now that's the kind of San Miguel offense I'm taking about! Yeah boy! Kahit sino ipasok ni Kotz Siot, talagang pupukol! ;D

chinito_guy
11-09-2008, 03:00 PM
SMB has a really deep line-up this season, hope they go all the way to the Finals...

jieun17
01-07-2009, 03:14 PM
i think the last two wins of the beermen were heavily relied on its veterans. as we could see in the games against coca-cola and air21 respectively (which they both won) the beermen had used its veterans more often than in their previous games in the two round elims. olsen, which is now just a back up point for 2nd year jonas villanueva, started in both wildcard games, danny seigle also had longer playing time in the court though he did not started. hontiveros, tugade and Pena also played extra minutes alongside with each other which is unusual for me since Tangquincen's mixing of players in the court is usually veterans plus younger players. its rare to see these players who were members of the last SMB roster who won a championship inside the court at once.

and when you just thought most of them should hang up their jerseys and join the coaching staff, seeing the way they play in their last two games , indeed you have to think again! ;)

chinito_guy
01-22-2009, 11:18 PM
sigh... TNT is ripping SMB apart... >:(

coreytaylor
01-23-2009, 12:11 PM
kahit 3-1 na, SMB pa rin! ;)

chinito_guy
01-24-2009, 04:56 PM
3-2 na 2 straight wins to Go!! kapag pumasok SMB sa finals manonood ako ng LIVE! ;D ;D ;D

untamed
01-28-2009, 06:01 PM
another disappointment conference for the beerman, bow ::).

chinito_guy
02-11-2009, 11:25 PM
oh well at least i saved some money by not going the Finals Game this season. nyahahaha (always think on the bright side) ;D ;D ;D

Win28
08-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Thank you for approving my account.

Actually since 10yo and until now, I'm 33, I'm a SMB fan, hahah very loyal isn't, but my first favorite teamwas great taste with ricardo brown . As I remember SMB as time passes by, calma, lim, fernandez, reyes, caidic, agustin, asaytono, abuda, ildefonso, seigle, racela, mente, victoria, hontiveros, tugade, washington and the incoming santos, are the favorites. They said "the SMB all stars" line up, especially when samboy, allan, ato and bong alvarez were all together, but it was a disaster at that time. But asaytono's era was a one-man showdown, still went to finals by the support of abuda and other role players, under coach ron. But the most memorable times, those grandslams are still fresh on my mind, even samboy, hopefully we can discover another samboy, a faster, much taller samboy who can land safely hehe, to beat those tall international defenders. Yeah I made this account not for SMB purposes but for the Philippine team. I am more concern on this, since we watched, we observed and we think, hopefully we learned and we will work on these. I know that our Baskeball mentors are more genius on this, but I would like to express my opinion, since we are really lack of height, the system is also not that competitive as compared to some of our counterpart countries. I also heared of smart gilas, with giles, a 6'11 american will be naturalized soon, and they plan to scout and get one more, actually this is the best idea, our guards are really competitive, but we are lack inside. I hope that this smart gilas project will be a success.

Regarding my observation, I observed that amateur league in the country are now getting famous and famous, I think its because of running games, which is really more exciting to watch. Those young legs are really can run faster and longer as compared to those veterans in pba who are in their 30s. Some of our RP nat'l team are on that age, so I think we have to make some adjustments in PBA rules, mostly, we are getting the national team there, just like a training league for RP team. Also, obcourse those smart gilas players are still dreaming to play in pba. So I think in order for the pba to be more succesful, they have to be flexible, they have to study their international counterparts, they have to adopt the likes of their customers, and they have to be updated systematically, in order for the RP team nor the league will be more exciting to watch.

When I watched Sonny Earl Alvarado, even my friends said, "he will be a big big asset to RP team". then he lost hehe, This type of player who is willing to play in the country, I think he deserved to be naturalized at that time. Now they are looking for naturalized centers in Smart gilas, we don't know how long will it work. My suggestion is why we don't allow 1 naturalized center in every pba team nor in pbl, in order to be more exciting, also our local talents will be adjusted to bigger men inside. Aguilar and Pennisi are exposed to this environment, how about "E." of SMB? Sakit sa mata panoorin si "Y. de O." 6'10 un. Sayang ang height, sana kung nahasa sila nung bata bata pa, also pag ganito ay, ung mga 6'6 young players natin, matututo ng mag small forward like Kelly, Danny S., nde sentro. Si "A. P." nga 6'4-6'5 eh sentro, panu mapapractice those young players sa pba if 6'5 ang nasa sentro? Magaling man sya eh pang PBA lng tlaga.

On system nman, I think PBA must study their rulings, con con ika nga sa lower house, maybe better if they will adopt some amateur rulings, Fiba rulings, parang gagawing semi prof-semi amateur. Also, they must not that strict sa pagpasok ng teams, more teams d better. Mas ok nga if PBA and PBL will merge to a bigger League, possible? Also, if there is a potential player, even sa high school pa lang, ay i-allow to play in PBL or PBA as long as magaaral din naman kahit online studies. Flexibility lang sana po mga sir.. Mix ages, mix talents of veterans and youngs, with bigger/taller centers in the league, and an updated system, will bring success. Even mga coaches must update their system internationally. Since we lack of size, but we have talent, cguro pwede tau magfeasibility study on how to create a system which can counter the europe-style of basketball.

I hope wala po ako nasaktan nor na foul.. This is only my opinion, and I hope that this will help our basketball to many success.

Thanks,
Win28

cobaltinee
10-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Wow, Arwin Santos and Denok Miranda are now in the San Miguel Lineup. Santos, Miranda and Joneas Villanueva are reuniting FEU tamaraws in UAAP days. :)

Jeep
02-10-2010, 09:02 PM
just saw danny siegel's double-handed jam, with the staredown on rico maierhoffer for daring to challenge him up there. "welcome to my poster, maierhoffer" he seemed to be saying.

kawawa naman si maierhoffer. nabulyawan noong college ni nonoy baclao, ngayon pinatiklop ni danny s. :(

but it's great seeing the old danny s. back. :)