PDA

View Full Version : Tang gets La Salle citation

gameface_one
10-13-2007, 08:44 AM
Tang gets La Salle citation
mb.com.ph

LA SALLE basketball team captain Tyrone "TY" Tang received an unprecedented Presidential Medal from DLSU head Bro. Armin Luistro, FSC, "for living up to the ideals of a La Sallian student and athlete" last Thursday during the UAAP champion Green Archers’ victory party at DLSU Taft.

"He is the acknowledged leader of the team, he commands respect from his peers, he reminds his co-players of the sacrifices they need to make and puts his neck on the line to defend them. Most importantly, he showed the La Sallian community, and perhaps the whole nation, that basketball is only a game and there are more lasting values such as friendship and fraternity which transcend competition and rivalry," said Bro. Arm of Tang.

TY received his medal from his grandmother Emilia. His parents, Rey and Alice, were also around during the celebration.

"I’m happy and grateful to school officials, my parents, my teammates and my fans," he said after getting the award, the first ever given by the DLSU president to an athlete.

The DLSU president also praised TY for "finishing his course requirement on time while faithfully fulfilling his responsibilities to the team."

The 23-year-old pointguard, who has been invited to join the RP-Harbour Centre team that will compete in the Southeast Asia Games together with teammate Rico Maierhoffer, played a key role in many of the Archers’ victories, including Game 1 of the championship series against University of the East where he scored 17 points and emerged as the game’s best player.

Kid Cubao
10-15-2007, 07:30 AM
mabuhay ang kapitang :)

batangueño
10-15-2007, 05:35 PM
TY, again, thank you so much for the leadership you have shown in leading the Green Archers to their latest UAAP men's basketball championship title. :)

joelex
05-08-2008, 04:28 AM
A player much maligned thru his first few years in DLSU and one I never thought had the capabilities to excel with the mental and physical aspects asked of a player to play in big games and especially against more veteran PBL players, I have to commend his outstanding play in the current PBL conference and is definitely one of the many reasons why Harbour Center is at the top of the standings. He has matured almost overnight and gone were the days where his tiny frame would deprive him of doing things in college he would easily perform in HS. What we have here is a rejuvenated TY Tang and one where a career playing ball is no longer a pipe dream. 2 PBA teams are said to be greatly interested for his services. Congratulations for proving a lot of doubters wrong. Including me.

bchoter
05-21-2008, 01:03 PM
Every now and then we get players like TY. Easily dismissed, or worse much maligned in their first few years even by their own, and then they make a comeback that will leave the alumning pining. Macky Escalona had a similar experience in Katipunan. Japs Cuan, ok he's still being maligned for his FT shooting, appears to head that way. Even Jonathan Jhanke was dismissed as nothing but a speedster.

I hope TY gets to the next level, the PBA, and prove himself worthy.

oca
05-22-2008, 07:32 PM
I think credit must also be given to the Archer's trainer Dan Ross. Kung hindi ako nagkakamali he was greatly responsible in developing/ transforming TY's physique into what it has become now.

Kahit magaling at may puso ang laro ni TY, yung nipis niya nang dumating siya sa UAAP ay hindi talaga uubra.

But he bulked up without compromising speed and quickness. Napakalaking bagay yun.

At sino ang trainer?

GHRanger
05-22-2008, 11:35 PM
I agree Oca. The first time I saw TY play live -- pag upo niya naka oxygen mask kaagad siya. Since it was Mike Cortez' last year at siya na lang yung point guard medyo alangan ako. And yes he was thin then. But after 1-2 years more with the Archers, he's bulked up physically. Even LA Tenorio mentioned that TY was faster and harder to guard during his 2nd year.

I guess having a lot of point guard mentors in the coaching staff and the team helped him a lot. Dan Rose was also able to pinpoint TY's weaknesses and improve on them. Nung nakuha na niya yung stamina at bulk niya, this was the time na nagmature yung laro niya, attitude niya at role niya sa team.

Isa na ako sa pinakain niya ng salita, and I'm happily eating my words.

nel
05-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Ty was given a special award by the PBL yesterday in recognition of his charitable gesture in donating his player allowances as a scholarship grant to needy students. This is the second time Ty has given to more needy students, as he declined his DLSU athletic scholarship and instead asked the school to give the scholarship to players who did not have the financial resources to enrol on their own.

Ty, you're a true example of a La Sallian, who lives his values. At the end of the day, Ty may be remembered not only for his exploits on the court but for what he did for others off the playing field.

==========================================

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/storypage.aspx?StoryId=119880

Harbour snares record fifth crown

By JOEY VILLAR
The Philippine Star

BATANGAS CITY – Harbour Centre took the fight out of Hapee Toothpaste with an early burst of firepower as the Batang Pier rolled to an 86-73 victory Wednesday for a record-setting fifth straight championship in the PBL Lipovitan Amino Sports Cup.

Three-time MVP Jason Castro poured in seven of his 13 points in a telling second quarter run, giving the Batang Pier a double-digit spread which they held all the way to the finish as they turned back the Complete Protectors in their best-of-five series, 3-1, to clinch their fifth straight crown before some 5,000 fans at the Batangas Sports Complex here.

"It’s a nice feeling winning five straight titles," said Harbour coach Jorge Gallent, who also won four PBL plums as a player for Stag Pale Pilsen in the late 90s.

Harbour Centre thus joined the elite circle of PBL teams with multiple championships, including Stag/Tanduay Rhum and Welcoat Paints, which won seven and six titles, respectively, before moving up to the pro league.

"We made it here because of God and our never-say-die spirit," said Harbour team owner Mikee Romero.

The 5-9 Castro, who will suit up for the Singapore Slingers in the Australia-based National Basketball League in August, also dished off nine assists, pulled down three rebounds and made three steals and a shot block to clinch the Finals MVP plum.

Jeff Chan, a former Far Eastern U stalwart, helped bury the Complete Protectors with three triples to finish with 10 points and capture the Pivotal Player award in the title series.

Two big runs bridging both halves sent the Batang Pier way ahead although the Complete Protectors tried to come up with a counterattack in the final quarter to no avail.

Boyet Bautista, one of the key players in Harbour’s 93-81 triumph in the series-tying Game 2 win, stepped up in the final period and finished with 16 points.

Needing a win to force a winner-take-all match, Hapee engaged Harbour in a tight first quarter game and early in the second period.

But the Batang Pier, with Castro hitting his marks, unloaded a torrid a 19-0 run to post a 41-24 lead before Gabe Norwood snapped Hapee’s spell with a running jumper at the close of the half.

However, an alley-oop slam by Norwood off a Mark Borboran assist at the buzzer was nullified by game officials, who ruled that the time had already lapsed before the shot was made.

Castro fired 11 points after the first two quarters while Chad Alonzo, Chan Jerwin Gaco scattered nine, seven and six points, respectively, powering the Batang Pier to a double-digit cushion going into the final half.

Reed Juntilla paced Hapee in the first half with 11 points but the Complete Protectors turned the ball over 15 times that translated to 18 fast break points for the Batang Pier.

Earlier, the league awarded Harbour Centre guard TY t@ng a special Civic Consciousness citation for donating his allowances as scholarship grants to needy students.

"We’re honoring him (t@ng) with this special award for his unselfishness and caring to others particularly for more needy kids who can’t afford to pay for school," said league commissioner Chino Trinidad.

It was the second citation t@ng, the Finals MVP last conference, received this year after making it to the Second Mythical Team that included teammate Sol Mercado, Hapee’s Jervy Cruz and San Mig Coffee’s Neil Raneses and Bon Bon Custodio.

toti_mendiola
05-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Ty was given a special award by the PBL yesterday in recognition of his charitable gesture in donating his player allowances as a scholarship grant to needy students. This is the second time Ty has given to more needy students, as he declined his DLSU athletic scholarship and instead asked the school to give the scholarship to players who did not have the financial resources to enrol on their own.

Ty, you're a true example of a La Sallian, who lives his values. At the end of the day, Ty may be remembered not only for his exploits on the court but for what he did for others off the playing field.

calp clap clap! Mabuhay ang isang TY Tang!