PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA)

amdgc82
10-10-2007, 04:23 AM
2nd VAAA caging to kick off Nov. 10
The Freeman
Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Everything is now in place for the staging of the 2nd Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) basketball season, which is set to kick off on November 10 at the University of San Carlos-Main Gym.

This was agreed upon by the represantives and coaches of the different participating schools in a meeting presided over by VAAA founder and decorated coach Raul “Yayoy” D. Alcoseba yesterday at Yayoy’s Grill and Resto Bar.

From last year’s 10, the number of entries rose to 12 this time around led by inaugural champion University of San Jose-Recoletos (USJ-R) Jaguars of coach Edito Salacut and runner-up Southwestern University (SWU) Cobras of coach Alejandrito “Dodie” Miego and athletic director Ryan Aznar.

The competing teams are divided into two groups of six, with USJ-R in Bracket A together with newcomer Asian College of Technology (ACT) Cyber Knights, Bohol Institute of Technology-International College (BIT-IC), Dumaguete City’s Silliman University (SU) and Foundation University (FU), and University of San Carlos (USC).

Joining SWU in Bracket B are Salazar College of Science and Institute of Technology (SCSIT) Skyblazers, Asian College of Science and Technology (ACSAT) Lightnings, Ormoc’s Western Leyte College (WLC), Holy Name University (HNU), and Don Bosco College (DBC) Greywolves.

The contending squads in each bracket will play a double round robin, home-and-away format in the elimination. The top two seeds per bracket will advance into the crossover semifinals, with the winners slugging it out for the championship in a best-of-three series.

After the VAAA cage wars, Alcoseba, who is also the Cebu City Sports Commission vice chairman and head coach of the multi-titled M. Lhuillier Kwarta Padala Jewelers, said he will organize another tournament among collegiate varsity cage players this summer.

“During the off season of the CESAFI, there are players who will not have an opportunity to play in a commercial league. This is the reason why I will organize a tournament for them this summer,” said Alcoseba. — EBV

amdgc82
10-10-2007, 04:25 AM
ACT Cyber, Don Bosco joins VAAA
Sunstar Cebu
Tuesday, October 10, 2007

FROM 10 teams, the fledgling Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) basketball tournament grows bigger following the entry of two more schools for the second season, which opens on Nov. 10 at the University of San Carlos Gym.

Newcomers Asian College of Technology (ACT) Cyber Knights and Don Bosco College Greywolves increase the events’ participants to 12.

School representatives and coaches gathered yesterday for an organizational meeting at the Yayoy’s Grill and Resto Bar, hosted by the league founder and Cebu City Councilor Raul “Yayoy” Alcoseba.

The pioneering 10 teams, led by defending champions University of San Jose-Recoletos (USJ-R) Jaguars and the Southwestern University Cobras, are expected to take their game to another level with the other schools, which were also present during the inaugural season last year.

USJ-R is bracketed in Group A with ACT Cyber Tigers, the returning Bohol Institute of Technology-International College, USC Warriors, Silliman University and Foundation University of Dumaguete City.

Group B is led by last year’s runner-up SWU Cobras, with the Salazar Colleges of Science and Institute of Technology Skyblazers, Asian College of Science and Technology Lightnings, Wester Leyte College of Ormoc City, Holy Name University of Tagbilaran City and the DBC Greywolves.

The teams will play a double round-robin, home-and-away elimination round and the top two seeds in each bracket will advance to the crossover semifinal round. The winners in the semifinal will play in a best-of-three championship series.

By summer, Alcoseba is planning to hold another tournament for collegiate varsity players to prepare them for the new basketball season next year. (RCM)

thadzonline
10-16-2007, 11:36 AM
yehey! more basketball action in Cebu

AnthonyServinio
11-06-2007, 04:14 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/anser1123/VAAA2.jpg
UV JOINS VAAA

thadzonline
11-06-2007, 04:16 PM
great, that means tougher competition

yokam
11-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Any game schedules for the opening date?

thadzonline
11-07-2007, 06:34 PM
nov 17 ang first day of competitions sa Cebu Coliseum from what Ive read

amdgc82
11-08-2007, 03:58 AM
Even without cesafi consent: UV Lancers, 3 other schools set to join 2nd VAAA caging
The Freeman
Thursday, November 8, 2007

With or without the consent of the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation, Inc. Board, four CESAFI member schools led by seven-time champion University of the Visayas (UV) Green Lancers will join the second season of the Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) men’s basketball which will kick off on November 18 at the Cebu Coliseum.

The CESAFI Board, in its Resolution No.01s.2007 adopted last October 26, prohibited its member schools from participating in any sports tournament without its approval.

But in yesterday’s launching of the 2nd VAAA season at Yayoy’s Grill and Resto Bar, UV through its head coach Elmer “Boy” Cabahug has confirmed its entry, even as Southwestern University (SWU), University of San Jose-Recoletos (USJ-R), and University of San Carlos (USC) also signified their intent to take part in the Visayas-wide cage league.

So firm with their respective stands that they are ready to face whatever sanction the CESAFI Board will slap upon them in relation to their VAAA participation.

“We are here to support. We are not here to compete (with other leagues). Our focus here is how to develop our younger generation for upcoming international competitions,” said Cabahug.

“We’re allowed by Sir Eddie and Sir Didi Gullas to accept the invitation of coach Yayoy. It’s now the off-season of CESAFI so we have the prerogative as to which league we would like to participate. Depriving us to which league we’re joining is a very un-democratic act,” added Cabahug.

Cabahug clarified though that they’re still a member of CESAFI and is committed to support all its programs. “It’s just the CESAFI season is now over and we have to find other league to give our players further exposure.”

USC chief strategist Mike Reyes echoed Cabahug’s sentiment.

“In our case, we have yet to talk things over with our school president, Fr. Rod Salazar. But my stand ever since is that we’re going to participate in VAAA. If they (CESAFI) suspend us, so be it. I’m just wondering why they’re doing that now when there was no such thing like that when we joined VAAA last year,” blurted out Reyes.

USJ-R assistant athletic moderator Dioscoro Himotas and SWU athletic director Ryan Aznar said they also have to confer first with their school heads although they’re both inclined to see action in VAAA anew. Last year, USJ-R swept SWU in their best-of-three finals to clinch the league’s inaugural championship.

“I have the same stand with USC. If I am to decide, I will join VAAA. But I’m just part of USJ-R and I have to consult first with our school heads,” said Himotas.

“We’ll work things out with or without CESAFI’s support or consent,” said Aznar although he can’t confirm yet their entry.

VAAA founder and multi-titled coach Raul “Yayoy” D. Alcoseba just hope that everybody would unite and work hand in hand for sports development not only in basketball but also in other athletic fields.

“We are not trying to compete with anybody. Our main goal here is sports development. I really can’t understand why there are some quarters who are not cooperative with this kind of project and tend to put us down,” said Alcoseba. “As a sports leader, we should be even happy and thankful if there are more programs. If you’re a true sportsman, you support all sports programs and not close your door on it.”* *

CESAFI commissioner Felix “Boy” O. Tiukinhoy, Jr., for his part, declined to comment on what sanction the league will impose on thee schools that defy its order. “I can’t comment on that without authority from the CESAFI Board because it’s beyond my power. Let the Board decide on that matter.”—EBV

amdgc82
11-08-2007, 04:01 AM
Controversy brews in VAAA, Cesafi
Sunstar Cebu
Thursday, November 08, 2007

EVEN before the first whistle is blown, the Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) promises to be a controversial affair.

This after the University of the Visayas joined the competition despite getting barred by the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. (Cesafi) from doing so.

Three other schools, the University of San Carlos, Southwestern University and University of San Jose-Recoletos are waiting for the final word from their school heads before they could join the event.

The basketball season of the Cesafi has already ended but its other events will have its opening on Nov. 18 at the Cebu Coliseum, while the Partners Cup, another Cesafi event which UV is not a part of, will start next month.

Also on Nov. 18, the VAAA, which is only a basketball contest, will open also at the Cebu Coliseum.

Meanwhile, UV head coach hit the Cesafi for barring teams from joining the VAAA.

“This (barring teams) is an undemocratic act. (Felix) Tiukinhoy (Cesafi commissioner) has no right to deprive any of the Cesafi teams from participating in any tournament because we have the freedom to choose. Once, we were divided but now that we are united they want to divide (Cebu basketball) again,” Cabahug said during VAAA’s press conference yesterday.

Cabahug said since he is a part of the BAP-SBP he has to support any project of the organization and VAAA one of them.

“This VAAA is not a competing organization but this will help develop talents. Before, I was against VAAA because there were some issues that were unresolved but now that all the issues are corrected, I personally want to join and I got the approval of the Gullases. UV is very supportive of the BAP-SBP that is why we joined this tournament,” said Cabahug.

On the other hand, Tiukinhoy said the decision to bar Cesafi schools came from the board, not from him and the decision of the seven-time to join the competition is now beyond him.

“It is already beyond my office. In fact, it is already beyond the coaches’ decision. This ruling (not to allow Cesafi schools to join VAAA), has been discussed and agreed during the board meeting, where representatives of these schools were present,” Tiukinhoy said.

Tiukinhoy said it was Eladio Dioko of UV and Ryan Aznar of SWU, who seconded the resolution.

“With that resolution, the board has clearly spoken. If they choose not to conform with it, that will be in their own judgment,” Tiukinhoy said.

Tiukinhoy also refused to say why Cesafi decided not to allow the teams to join the event.

“They already know the reasons because these have been discussed in the meeting,” he said.

Meanwhile, VAAA founder Yayoy Alcoseba announced yesterday that the league will take care of its players in cases of injuries.

“The league will take care of everything. In cases of injury, we will give P30,000 assistance for major injuries, while for minor injuries VAAA will take care of everything. And since the teams will travel, we are also giving out accident insurance to all the accredited members of the team,” Alcoseba said.

Alcoseba also announced the VAAA is giving out a total of P200,000 worth of sports equipment to the top four teams.

The champion will receive P100,000 worth of equipment, the runnerup will get P50,000, third placer will receive P30,000 and the fourth place will get P20,000.(RCM with MCB)

amdgc82
11-08-2007, 04:13 AM
Participating Teams

Bracket A
Asian College of Technology Cyber Knights
Bohol Institute of Technology-International College Cruisers
Foundation University Greyhounds
Holy Name University Falcons
University of San Carlos Warriors
University of the Visayas Green Lancers

Bracket B
Asian College of Science and Technology Lightnings
Salazar College of Science and Institute of Technology Skyblazers
Silliman University Stallions
Southwestern University Cobras
University of San Jose-Recoletos Jaguars
Western Leyte College Mustangs

thadzonline
11-08-2007, 07:53 AM
politics na naman sa basketball...kailan kaya matatapos yan?

BTW, mag-ooverlap yata ang schedules ng collegiate leagues sa Cebu, for sure VAAA stretches to December where we will also have the Hotel Foruna CUp inter-collegiate(also organized by BAP-SBP) and the CESAFI Partners Cup

AnthonyServinio
11-08-2007, 08:51 PM
THE champion of the Second VAAA season will represent the Philippines in the World University Games (Universiade) to be held in Bangkok, Thailand in the first quarter of next year.

That's another incentive for the schools to fight for!

amdgc82
11-09-2007, 06:47 AM
* * *THE champion of the Second VAAA season will represent the Philippines in the World University Games (Universiade) to be held in Bangkok, Thailand in the first quarter of next year.

* * *That's another incentive for the schools to fight for!

There's no World University Games (Universiade) next year. The next International University Sports (Universiade) will still be in 2009 in Belgrade. The recent 24th Universiade in Bangkok has just concluded last August 18, 2007. This sports events for students is held every two years.

yokam
11-09-2007, 12:24 PM
THE champion of the Second VAAA season will represent the Philippines in the World University Games (Universiade) to be held in Bangkok, Thailand in the first quarter of next year.

That's another incentive for the schools to fight for!

And another reason why CESAFI should not bar it's participating teams to join VAAA. CESAFI and VAAA should work hand in hand and look at one same goal, to further develop and improve the collegiate basketball scene in Cebu and in the Visayas. They've got good and promising players who's got great potential to make it to the other level.

amdgc82
11-10-2007, 05:20 AM
UV will join VAAA unless school officials say no: Boy
Sunstar Cebu
Saturday, November 10, 2007

GIVE us a good reason.

This was the challenge by University of the Visayas head coach Elmer “Boy” Cabahug to the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc (Cesafi) for not allowing them to join the Visayas Amateur Athletic Association.

UV is among the four schools given a warning by Cesafi commissioner Felix Tiukinhoy after they expressed intent in joining the VAAA.

Cesafi had earlier passed a board resolution stating that Cesafi member-schools are not allowed to join the VAAA.

“Give me a good reason not to join. Convince my bosses and when they tell me no, then I won’t. This is already the off season of the Cesafi and we can compete in any tournament that we want,” Cabahug said.

Cabahug said that as far as he and his entire UV squad is concerned, they have the blessing of UV top officials to join the competition.

Cabahug also said that the threat by Tiukinhoy is meant only to scare them from joining VAAA.

“I am not afraid of his threats. I am willing to sacrifice myself. We will join the VAAA and I will accept any sanction that will befall me,” Cabahug said. (MCB)

amdgc82
11-10-2007, 05:23 AM
Unfair: coach on warning by Cesafi official
Sunstar Cebu
Saturday, November 10, 2007

THE stern warning issued by the commissioner of the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. (Cesafi) continues to create ripples in the local basketball scene.

The other day, Cesafi commissioner Felix Tiukinhoy said: “I strongly takes exception to the statements made by coaches Boy Cabahug of UV, Mike Reyes of USC and athletic directors Ryan Aznar of SWU and Dioscoro Himotas of USJ-R. Their statements are uncalled for and place Cesafi in a very bad light not to mention the schools that they correspondingly represent.”

The statement was reportedly made during the launching of the Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA), the league Cesafi schools are barred from joining. The four school officials were present in that launching, representing the top four schools of the recently concluded Cesafi basketball.

Aznar and Himotas admitted they wanted their teams to join for exposure. But they said their respective teams’ participation will depend on school administration. They said Tiukinhoy’s statement was out of line.

“Why include me in that warning when I never said anything in that meeting that could be detrimental to the Cesafi as a whole,” Aznar said. He said Tiukinhoy should have called him up to confirm this.

Tiukinhoy said the other day that the mere fact that Aznar joined the meeting despite the resolution from the Cesafi board forbidding member-schools from joining VAAA was already violating an agreement made among school owners.

“I joined the meeting out of courtesy to the organizers who invited us. That does not mean that we are already joining the competition. Besides, I asked the permission of the administration to join the meeting,” Aznar added. (MCB)

pachador
11-10-2007, 09:51 AM
is there a good reason why cesafi does not want its members to join the VAAA tournament? or is this just politics?

yokam
11-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Boy Cabahug is firm enough on his stand. According to Cabahug, they will be joining the VAAA not unless UV's top official will say no. Indeed Cabahug is really making a very good point, why bar CeSAFI teams in joining the VAAA?

Here's the link:

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2007/11/10/sports/uv.will.join.vaaa.unless.school.officials.say.no.b oy.html

thadzonline
11-10-2007, 10:40 AM
is there a good reason why cesafi does not want its members to join the VAAA tournament? or is this just politics?

at least if there is one good reason as CESAFI claims, it should be made known to the public, the basketball fans at large who just want more basketball without having to be involved in all the politics

amdgc82
11-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Coaches’ turn
Cebu Daily News
Last updated 07:38am (Mla time) 11/10/2007

The fallout from the bomb that was dropped by Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. (Cesafi) commissioner Felix “Boy” Tiukinhoy in his official statement regarding the Cesafi team's participation in the upcoming 2nd season of the Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) continues to send shockwaves all over the local basketball scene.

This after the constituents named in the letter that was printed in yesterday's dailies voiced out their opinions about the matter.

“As a commissioner, that is his prerogative. Just give us a good reason ngano dili mi makaduwa sa VAAA nga offseason na man unta sa Cesafi.” said Elmer “Boy” Cabahug, head coach of the University of the Visayas Green Lancers.

“It's a win-win situation for the teams man unta. On one hand, we are given exposure and then we are given extra motivation since the champion will be sent to Bangkok and will be given sports equipment”

University of San Carlos head coach Jay Ramirez also joined in on the parade, stating that his team's success in the Cesafi this year, can be attributed to their participation in the VAAA last year.

“Naabot mi sa championship sa Cesafi kay tungod sa experience na nakuha sa mga bata from playing in the VAAA,” said Ramirez.

The brewing storm stemmed from the Cesafi's approval and issuance of the Resolution 01s.2007, which resolves that no Cesafi-member team shall be allowed to join the VAAA without the consent of the Board.

The move essentially bars the University of San Jose-Recoletos, Southwestern University, UV and USC from competing in the tournament set to open on Nov. 18 at the Cebu Coliseum.

UNITY NEEDED

“Magkahiusa unta ta sa basketball diri sa Cebu. The VAAA will not gain anything from this nor do they want to. They just want to give the schools the chance to play and dream of bigger things in basketball,” explained Cabahug.

“Dapat putlon na ning iya-iya sa basketball,” added Ramirez.

SWU athletic director Ryan Aznar, who was also named in the statement by Tiukinhoy, defended himself and said that his presence at the VAAA launching meant no disrespect to the Cesafi and the school owners.

“I attended that meeting with the blessings of our president and out of respect for the people who invited the school,” said Aznar.

Tiukinhoy, for his part, said that he does not want to stoke the fires ever further.

“If they want to ask for reasons, they should go to their school's owners and presidents. The people who voted for that resolution knew what they were doing and what they were voting for,” said Tiukinhoy. Correspondent Jonas Panerio

pachador
11-10-2007, 11:55 PM
kung off season ang cesafi then there is no reason why the cesafi teams cannot join the VAAA .binuang kanang reason sa cesafi unless this conflicts with the partners cup?

thadzonline
11-11-2007, 12:33 AM
kung off season ang cesafi then there is no reason why the cesafi teams cannot join the VAAA .binuang kanang reason sa cesafi unless this conflicts with the partners cup?

there is a possibility VAAA will conflict with the Partners Cup. Anyways, it is an established CESAFI rule that teams should seek the approval of the CESAFI board first before joining any tournament, but banning participation in the VAAA outright should come along with a good explanation. The basketball fans at large deserved to be informed about why CESAFI member schools are not allowed to participate in the VAAA.

amdgc82
11-15-2007, 01:59 PM
USJ-R pulls out of VAAA caging
By Jonas Panerio
Cebu Daily News
Last updated 11:14am (Mla time) 11/15/2007

CEBU CITY, Philippines - Much in the same way that the second edition of the Partner's Cup basketball tournament will not have its champion in the competition, the Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) looks to suffer the same fate as well.

This, after the inaugural champions of the VAAA, the University of San Jose-Recoletos Jaguars withdrew from the competition in light of the board resolution passed by the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. (Cesafi), barring Cesafi-member teams from competing in the said tournament organized by multi-titled head coach and Cebu City councilor Raul “Yayoy” Alcoseba.

This development was confirmed by both Alcoseba and USJ-R athletic director Dioscoro Himotas yesterday. According to Himotas, he was called in for a meeting by USJ-R president, Fr. Anthony Morillo, OAR, and was told to withdraw the team’s participation out of respect for the other school owners and the resolution itself.

“Ana siya na naka-commit na siya sa resolution and dapat respetuhon ang mga school heads,” said Himotas yesterday afternoon.

After hearing USJ-R's decision, the councilor himself went to the campus yesterday morning to explain to the president VAAA's concept and intentions so as to clear the air regarding the issue.

“I talked to him and explained to him VAAA's program and that is to give these schools and there teams a venue to play and get more exposure in the second semester since the Cesafi is done by then. I also pointed out that the VAAA is not here to compete with the Cesafi in any way,” explained Alcoseba.

Alcoseba also added that the schools should encourage these types of tournaments and not prevent them. “We are in sports and in this realm, we should all work together. These people who are preventing these teams should be in politics,” quipped Alcoseba.

Cesafi runners-up University of San Carlos is also waiting the final word from school heads as to its participation. Sources within the team said that they were already given the green light to compete in both the Partner's Cup and the VAAA, but were asked to not play in VAAA's opening game. USC is set to face the Asian College of Technology Cyber Knights on Sunday.

The Southwestern University Cobras, according to athletic director Ryan Aznar, said that they will announce their decision on Friday.

thadzonline
11-15-2007, 11:10 PM
an emergency CESAFI Board meeting is scheduled earlier, so hopefully we get some good news tomorrow....basketball fans are too tired of politics in basketball

amdgc82
11-16-2007, 05:12 AM
an emergency CESAFI Board meeting is scheduled earlier, so hopefully we get some good news tomorrow....basketball fans are too tired of politics in basketball

Cesafi changes stand, to let schools join VAAA
By Rommel C. Manlosa
Sun.Star Staff Reporter
Friday, November 16, 2007

IT SEEMS the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. has eased its ban on its members from joining the Visayas Amateur Athletic Associaiton.

A source told Sun.Star Cebu the Cesafi board held a meeting yesterday noon to drop their Oct. 19 resolution that asked its members to seek clearance first from the association whenever they want to play for another league.

Cesafi commissioner Felix Tiukinhoy, however, could not comment on what the outcome of the meeting was as he was not invited.

“I was only informed that the Cesafi board will have a meeting. The meeting was only among the board members, which are the school owners and I was not invited to join. Yes, there was a meeting but on what was going on in the meeting, I am not privy to any of it,” Tiukinhoy said in an interview last night.

Meeting

According to the source the meeting was held to clear things out regarding the restriction with regards to their member schools joining the second season of the Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA).

VAAA is scheduled to open this Sunday at the Cebu Coliseum, supposedly without its defending champion, University of San Jose-Recoletos Jaguars.

Doubts cleared

However, the meeting yesterday cleared all doubts and the Jaguars will be defending their title and will face the Southwestern University Cobras in the main game.

“At first USJ-R backed out because of the resolution but I got a call this afternoon (yesterday) informing that USJ-R will be joining because the ‘ban’ was already lifted during the board meeting,” said VAAA founder and Cebu City councilor Raul Alcoseba last night.

As a sign of Cesafi’s support to the fledgling VAAA, Cebu first district congressman and the University of the Visayas president Eddie Gullas has accepted the invitation of the league to be its guest of honor and keynote speaker.

“Gullas is truly a sports leader… a true sportsman. We would be deeply honored by his presence,” said Alcoseba.

Gullas is a noted basketball leader in Cebu having played then served as coach to the 1954 National Inter-collegiate champions University of the Visayas.

amdgc82
11-16-2007, 05:14 AM
Gullas to grace VAAA opening
By Emmanuel B. Villaruel
The Freeman
Friday, November 16, 2007

Cebu First District Rep. and University of the Visayas (UV) president Eduardo “Eddiegul” R. Gullas will be the guest of honor and keynote speaker in the formal opening of the M. Lhuillier Kwarta Padala-sponsored 2nd Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) men’s basketball tournament this Sunday afternoon at the Cebu Coliseum.

VAAA founder and multi-titled coach Raul “Yayoy” D. Alcoseba said the presence of Gullas is indeed a big boost and an added inspiration to the fledgling league to soar even higher and scale greater heights in the local hoopdom.

“Gullas is truly a sports leader, a true sportsman. Having accepted our invitation to grace the VAAA opening only shows he really cares for sports development. We would be deeply honored by his presence,” said Alcoseba.

Gullas is a prominent figure in RP basketball for several decades now. Feted by* Philippine Free Press as “Coach of the Year” for steering the UV Lancers to the National Inter-Collegiate championship with victory over the University of Sto. Tomas (UST) Golden Bears in late ’50s, Gullas once served as vice president for the Visayas of the Basketball Association of the Philippines (BAP).

Gullas also played a key role towards the creation of the country’s unified basketball body now known as the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP).

Meanwhile, Alcoseba remains upbeat of another successful VAAA season despite the backing out of defending champion University of San Jose-Recoletos (USJ-R). The Jaguars pulled the plug due to the CESAFI Board resolution prohibiting its member schools to participate in any tournament not sanctioned by the league.

Because of that resolution, the entry of University of San Carlos (USC) Warriors and last year’s runner-up Southwestern University (SWU) Cobras also still hangs in the balance.

Seven-time CESAFI champion UV Green Lancers of coach Elmer “Boy” Cabahug, however, stood pat of their earlier decision to join the VAAA cage wars with or without the blessings of CESAFI.

The other schools taking part in the two-month cagefest are the Salazar Colleges of Science and Institute of Technology (SCSIT) Skyblazers, Asian College of Technology (ACT) Cyber Knights, Bohol Institute of Technology-International College (BIT-IC), Holy Name University (HNU), Western Leyte College (WLC) of Ormoc, Foundation University (FU), Silliman University (SU), and Asian College of Science and Technology (ACSAT).

The champion will receive P100,000 worth of sports equipment, while the second, third and fourth will get P50,000, P30,000 and P20,000, respectively. Also, the overall winner will represent the country to the University Games (Universiad) next year in Bangkok, Thailand.

thadzonline
11-16-2007, 10:55 AM
I thought that Bangkok Universiade was concluded already and the next Universiade is yet to be done in Belgrade 2009? any clarifications?

amdgc82
11-16-2007, 11:06 AM
I thought that Bangkok Universiade was concluded already and the next Universiade is yet to be done in Belgrade 2009? any clarifications?

you can check these sites

http://www.bangkok2007.com/en/main/index2.php

http://www.universiade-belgrade2009.org/en/

amdgc82
11-17-2007, 12:47 AM
3 Cesafi teams to join VAAA; games start Sunday
Sunstar Cebu
Saturday, November 17, 2007

THREE member-schools of the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. (Cesafi) formalized their entry to the Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA), which is set to open on Sunday at the Cebu Coliseum.

Reportedly, the ban on Cesafi schools from joining VAAA was allegedly lifted during an emotional board meeting last Thursday. This, however, was neither denied nor confirmed by Cesafi commissioner Felix Tiukinhoy, who decided to inhibit himself from the meeting.

No one present in the meeting would also comment about the discussions to confirm the lifting of the ban.

Yesterday, Southwestern University and University of San Carlos, were given the go signal by their respective university presidents Dr. Eligario Gonzales and Fr. Rod Salazar, that they could join the competition.

University of the Visayas, on the other hand, had earlier confirmed its participation despite restriction given by Cesafi. UV president Eddie Gullas will be the guest in the opening this Sunday.

This will be UV’s first time in the league. It was, however, not given a schedule yet as it is still in Manila competing in the Collegiate Champions’ League.

Despite the reported lifting of the ban, defending VAAA champion, University of San Jose-Recoletos will still not join the competition.

“USJ-R admin already made a decision and want to maintain the stand they gave earlier,” said a source.

With USJ-R out of the picture, the title is up for the taking. Other Cebu teams taking part in the regional event are Salazar Institute of Technology and Asian College of Technology. (MCB)

amdgc82
11-17-2007, 12:49 AM
USC faces SWU in VAAA opener
The Freeman
Saturday, November 17, 2007

Two powerhouse teams will serve as curtain raisers during the opening of the 2nd Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) basketball tournament at the Cebu Coliseum on Sunday.

The University of San Carlos takes on the Southwestern University in the first game while ACT makes its debut against Salazar College of Science Institute and Technology in the nightcap.

New talents are expected to emerge during the tournament as organizers allowed participating teams up to 15 players on their rosters. The teams, however, have until today to submit their final lineups.

The participation of the defending champion University of San Jose-Recoletos and Don Bosco College will also be known today. It has been reported (not by The Freeman) that USJ-R has withdrawn from the tournament.

Other participants in the tournament are the University of the Visayas, Bohol Institute of Technology, Western Leyte College, Foundation University and ACSAT-Dumaguete.

Only two designated areas in the coliseum will be free to the public while students who will watch the games will enjoy special discount.

VAAA founder Yayoy Alcoseba told The Freeman that he wanted free admission to the public but the management of Cebu Coliseum didn’t agree to his proposal.

The lower box seats cost P30 while ringside seats are for P50. Students who want seats in these areas get 50 percent discount provided they present their school identification card.

Rep. Eduardo Gullas will address the opening ceremony where a “Palabas” featuring five schools is expected to add color and pomp to the event.—Caecent No-ot Magsumbol

amdgc82
11-18-2007, 06:50 PM
2nd VAAA hoop blasts off today
Cebu Daily News
Last updated 10:06am (Mla time) 11/18/2007

MINUS its defending champion, the Visayas Amateur Athletics Association (VAAA) unveils its second season today at the Cebu Coliseum.

The brand new season will be ushered in by a simple opening ceremony to be led by guest speaker Cebu First District Rep. Eduardo “Eddiegul Gullas, league founder Yayoy Alcoseba, tournament commissioner Boy Murrillo and BAP-SBP provincial director Lorenzo “Chao” Sy.

Two games will be played today with the University of San Carlos (USC) Warriors playing the Southwestern University (SWU) Cobras in the first game.

The Asian College of Technology (ACT) Cyber Knights look for a successful debut when they face the Salazar Colleges of Science and Institute and Technology (SC-SIT) Skyblazers in the main game.

SWU and USC are two of the three Cesafi teams that will be seeing action in the regional league, which will be using a home-and-away format.

The University of the Visayas (UV), clearly the tournament’s favorites, will also compete in the tournament.

Defending champion University of San Jose-Recoletos (USJ-R) begged off due to a resolution passed by Cesafi, barring its team from joining in any other league without its necessary approval.

Cesafi had reportedly allowed its teams to compete in the VAAA but the Jaguars stood firm on its decision. Correspondent Calvin D. Cordova

amdgc82
11-19-2007, 05:12 AM
SWU Cobras consume USC Warriors
Sunstar Cebu
Monday, November 19, 2007

THE Southwestern University (SWU) Cobras start their bid with a whooping 86-78 win over the University of San Carlos (USC) Warriors at the start of the 2007 Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) Collegiate Men’s Basketball tournament at the Cebu Coliseum yesterday.

In the nightcap, the Asian College of Technology (ACT) Cyber Knights picked on the smaller Salazar College of Science and Institute of Technology (SCSIT) Skyblazers for their first-ever win in the collegiate circuit, 108-79.

The Warriors were leading for three quarters, but suddenly felt its surge denied when the Cobras started to tighten their defense while Eric Zanoria and Alfred Belande lead the offensive charge.

USC’s last hold of the lead was at 67-65 with still six minutes left to play as Zanoria continued to provide clutch baskets for the Cobras to take the led for good.

Behind Niño Ramirez and Enrico John Llanto, USC was able to tie the game at 78 all with 1:17 remaining but Zanoria gave back SWU the lead 25 seconds later.

USC missed the chance on their next position and Lloyd Poligrates was sent to the free throw line with 30.2 seconds, giving SWU an 82-78 lead.

Desperate for points, Sam Jordan Hermosa tried to score a bucket but the defense of SWU was too tough to escape as he was forced to change his shot as the Cobras hauled down the defensive rebound resulting to another Poligrates free throw at the 17.3 mark for an 84-78 lead.

USC still could not cash in a three point attempt and Zanoria punctuated his classic performance with a dunk for the final count.

In the main game, the Cyber Knights played a court trap and a run and gun attack as they rendered the Skyblazers hapless all the way. (RCM)

amdgc82
11-19-2007, 05:14 AM
SWU spoils USC in VAAA cagefest
The Freeman
Monday, November 19, 2007

The Southwestern University Cobras came from behind to whip the University of San Carlos Warriors 86-78 as the 2nd Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) basketball tournament opened yesterday at the New Cebu Coliseum.

The Warriors ruled the first three quarters of the game with two-time CESAFI MVP Rico Llanto, Nino Ramirez and rookie Cid Cortes combining for a 56-63 lead.

However, when the fourth quarter began, SWU made its move. Starring the foursome of Zanoria, Maguate, Belande and Poligrates, the Cobras sailed ahead.

CESAFI slam-dunk champion Eric Zanoria put an exclamation point to the win with a slam.

Zanoria led the Cobras with 19 points while Gianchand and Poligrates combined for 29 points.

Representative Eduardo “Eddie” Gullas, during his address, stressed seven points to basketball success.

*Let us start training our pupils and students as early as 7 years old.

*Let us teach the youth the fundamentals of basketball, and most importantly, in instilling good values towards their teammates or opponents - never play to injure fellow players.

*I will suggest to the President, that any religion in the Philippines will have a basketball czar, because if this happens, basketball will flourish even more.

*We should concentrate on developing our regional tournaments to become a basketball power like the Europeans.

*We should have regional training centers that are capable of training officials, coaches and referees.

*Our coaches should balance the offense and defense strategy they employ because most often coaches only teach offense.

*The profiles of a championship team are: (1.) the team must have a championship play with many variations. (2) Players must be taught how to develop a fighting heart. (3) Players should not forget to practice shooting from the arc.

Rep. Gullas ended his speech by congratulating VAAA founder, Coach Yayoy Alcoseba for promoting basketball not only in the city but in the region as well.

The Scores:

SWU (86) - Zanoria 19, Gianchand 15, Poligrates 14, Belande 13, Maguate 7, Canonigo 6, Jalandoni 4, Armecin 2, Litorja 2

USC (78) - Ramirez 17, Llanto 15, Cortes 13, Hermosa 9, Joven 5, Codilla 4, Padillo 4, Padayao 3, Ferraren 2, Igao 2* — Marigold P. Lebumfacil, Correspondent

amdgc82
11-20-2007, 03:55 AM
SWU shocks USC
By Calvin Cordova
Cebu Daily News
Last updated 04:23pm (Mla time) 11/19/2007

CEBU CITY, Philippines - The Southwestern University (SWU) Cobras sent a strong warning of its serious championship bid as they clobbered tournament-favorites University of San Carlos (USC) Warriors, 86-78, yesterday at the start of the second season of the Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) men’s basketball tournament at the Cebu Coliseum.

The Cobras trailed for most of the way but played with great resolve in the endgame to chalk up their first victory.

Eric Zanoria carried the Cobras on his shoulders by scoring a game-high 19 points, 13 coming in the third period when SWU started to warm up.

The lanky Zanoria capped his gritty performance by scoring seven of SWU’s last 11 points.

It was a good start for the Cobras, who lost to the University of Sa Jose-Recoletos (USJ-R) Jaguars in last year's finals.

Niño Ramirez paced the Warriors with 17 points while Enrico Llanto added 15.

The brand new season was ushered in by a colorful opening ceremony attended by Cebu First District Eduardo “Eddiegul” Gullas, league founder Raul “Yayoy” Alcoseba, BAP-SBP Provincial Director Lorenzo “Chao” Sy and tournament commissioner Boy Murrillo.

BOX SCORES:

SWU (86)- Zanoria 19, Poligrates 14, Belande 13, Maguate 7, Canonigo 6, Gianchand 5, Jalandoni 4, Litorja 2, Armecin 2.

USC (78)- Ramirez 17, Llanto 15, Cortes 13, Hermosa 9, Joven 5, Codilla 4, Padillo 4, Padayao 3, Ferraren 2, Igao 2.

QUARTERSCORES: 14-19, 31-33, 53-56, 86-78.

amdgc82
11-20-2007, 07:29 PM
Good start for ACT
Cebu Daily News
Last updated 02:09pm (Mla time) 11/20/2007

CEBU CITY, Philippines - The Asian College of Technology (ACT) Cyber Knights debuted in the Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) men's basketball tournament with a bang, nailing an easy 108-79 win over the Salazar Colleges of Science and Institute of Technology (SC-SIT) Skyblazers last Sunday at the Cebu Coliseum.

Prospeto Batiancila and Rafael Reyes led the onslaught for the Cyber Knights by firing 18 points each. Three other players scored in double figures for ACT, which joined the Southwestern University (SWU) Cobras at the top of the standings with 1-0 (win-loss) records.

The Cobras opened their campaign in the league's second season with an impressive 86-78 win over the University of San Carlos (USC) Warriors.

The Cyber Knights, owned by Cebu City Councilor Rodrigo Abellanosa, jumped to a hot start and closed the first quarter with a 28-19 lead.

The Skyblazers put up a tough stand in the second and prevented the Cybers Knights from pulling away.

SIT's decent second quarter showing allowed them to stay within striking distance as the first half ended with ACT protecting a manageable 55-44 lead.

The Skyblazers, however, started to give in when the Cyber Knights stepped on the gas in the third, outscoring their opponents, 35-18, that resulted to a huge 90-62 lead with only one quarter left.

Arman Serna spearheaded SC-SIT with 22 points.

BOX SCORES:

ACT (108)- Reyes 18, Batiancila 18, Vistal 16, Dela Pena 14, Nunez 13, Aparice 8, Doy 8, Valencia 6, Paraguya 4.

SC-SIT (79)- Serna 22, Violango 19, Rabaya 17, Calma 10, Sabadan 8, Tampus 6, Gacrama 4.

Correspondent Calvin Cordova

ankle breaker
11-24-2007, 04:49 AM
ACT is somewhat the darkhorse in this years VAAA but don't the bohol teams like BIT and HNU. I think they are also beefing up their roosters to show more this year.

thadzonline
11-24-2007, 05:59 PM
I did not see HNU representation in the opening, there were 9 teams:

1. USC
2. SWU
3. UV
4. ACT
5. SIT
6. ACSAT
7. FU
8. WLC
9. BIT

Silliman U and HNU who participated in the 1st edition are not participating in the 2nd season

AnthonyServinio
11-25-2007, 12:13 AM
* * *FYI: All VAAA games set for this weekend (November 24 and 25) have been reset to a later date due to the unavailability of inter-island transport brought about by the coming super typhoon.* The new schedule will be announced soon.

amdgc82
12-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Rude welcome
By Calvin Cordova
Cebu Daily News
Last updated 09:45am (Mla time) 12/02/2007

The University of San Carlos (USC) and Salazar Colleges of Science and Institute of Technology (SC-SIT) gave their respective non-Cebu opponents a rude welcome as they scored blowout wins yesterday in the 2nd Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) men's basketball tournament at the Cebu Coliseum.

The Warriors showed no mercy in crushing Ormoc City's Western Leyte College (WLC) Mustangs, 106-70, while the Skyblazers scored their own emphatic win by dumping Asian College of Science and Technology (Acsat) Lightnings, 101-82.

Both the Warriors and the Skyblazers improved to 1-1 (win-loss), bouncing back from separate defeats they suffered during the tournament's opening last month.

WLC and Acsat now have similar 0-1 slates.

The Warriors, who had five players in double figures, were too much for the Mustangs as they quickly jumped to a 21-12 lead in the first quarter.

USC extended its lead to 23 points at the bend, 52-29, and further stretched its gap when they outscored WLC in the third, 34-22.

The Warriors headed into the fourth quarter with an 86-51 lead.

On the other hand, the Skyblazers launched a fiery endgame assault to clamp down the Lightnings.

The Skyblazers protected double-digit leads most of the way but the hard-fighting Lightnings launched a mini run in the fourth to threaten at 76-85 with 5:27 left.

SC-SIT doused the rampaging Acsat cagers with a 12-0 run to erect a 97-76 lead, going into the final two minutes.

BOX SCORES

FIRST GAME
USC (106)- Bercede 15, Llanto 14, Ramirez 11, Hermosa 11, Gallarde 10, Padillo 8, Bautista 7, Codilla 6, Cortes 6, Joven 5, Bakker 5, Blanes 4, Igao 2.
WLC (70)- Cadayong 20, Ceniza 11, Dinoy 8, Bejoc 6, Sinara 6, Penalosa 4, Sumila 4, Ballera 4, Gludo 3, Mislang 3, Rae 2.

SECOND GAME
SC-SIT (101)- Calma 26, Amarado 16, Violango 13, Tampus 12, Jabadan 12, Serna 10, Rabaya 6, Tampus 2, Gacrama 2.
ACSAT (82)- Sayon 19, Ganaan 19, Ferraren 13, Catubay 8, Tonada 7, Quinones 5, Selva 4, Vecran 2, Quintao 2.

thadzonline
12-02-2007, 09:21 PM
who is that Cadayong in WLC? Is that ex-Webmaster Zaldy Cadayong or someone related? Zaldy was from Samar I suppose

yokam
12-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Where's Padayao and Ferraren for USC?

thadzonline
12-03-2007, 01:53 PM
they did not play in the last game against WLC I've heard..academics?

amdgc82
12-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Another blowout
Cebu Daily News
Last updated 01:22pm (Mla time) 12/04/2007

CEBU CITY, Philippines - The Southwestern University (SWU) Cobras waxed hot in the final two quarters to dump the Western Leyte College (WLC) Mustangs, 102-59, and earn a piece of the lead in the 2nd Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) men’s basketball tournament last Sunday at the Cebu Coliseum.

With their size and height advantage, the Cobras were heavily favored against the smaller Mustangs, who entered the game fresh from a blowout loss to the University of San Carlos (USC) Warriors.

SWU, however, failed to dominate WLC right from the get go.

The two teams had a dismal offensive showing in the first two quarters as they combined for only 23 points. The first quarter ended with SWU nursing a slim 12-11 lead.

The Mustangs continued to fight gallantly in the second as the Cobras failed to pull away after settling for a slim 36-34 lead at the bend.

SWU, which came from a big win over USC, 86-78, started to flex its muscles in the third, outscoring the Ormoc-based Mustangs, 17-9, that resulted to a 53-43 lead with only one quarter left.

The Mustangs finally ran out of ammunition in the fourth where they could only score nine points against the 36-point explosion of the Cobras.

Five Cobras scored in double figures while four other SWU players finished with at least eight points.

The win allowed the Cobras to join the Asian College of Technology (ACT) Cyber Knights at the top of the standings with identical 2-0 (win-loss) slates.

The Mustangs went winless in their Cebu sojourn and joined Dumaguete City’s Asian College of Science and Technology (Acsat) Lightnings at the bottom with 0-2 records.

BOX SCORES:
SWU (102)- Divinagracia 12, Tubongbanua 12, Maguate 11, Gianchan 10, Belande 10, Polirates 9, Canonigo 9, Zanoria 9, Ceniza 8, Armelin 6, Litorja 2, Django 2, Pacquiao 1, Jalandoni 1.
WLC (59)- Ceniza 16, Cadayong 15, Mislang 7, Penalosa 4, Senara 4, Gludo 4, Dinoy 4, Bejoc 3, Sumili 2. /Correspondent Calvin D. Cordova

MykelV
12-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Games for December 8 and December 9 to be played in Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental

December 8, 2007
5:00pm ACT vs ACSAT
6:30pm UV vs FU

December 9, 2007
5:00pm ACT vs FU
6:30pm UV vs ACSAT

ACSAT was supposed to host it at the Lamberto Macias Sports Complex but its not available because of a concert
that will be happening on the 9th. So instead, games will be played at the Dumaguete City Highschool Gym... Its got a rubberized covered court, electronic scoreboard and shotclock.

amdgc82
12-08-2007, 11:38 AM
UV debuts in VAAA
Cebu Daily News
Last updated 09:48am (Mla time) 12/08/2007

THE MULTI-TITLED University of the Visayas (UV) Green Lancers make their debut in the Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) men's basketball tournament today as they travel to Dumaguete City to face the Foundation University (FU) Greyhounds at the FU gym.

Despite being a newcomer, the Green Lancers are touted as the heavy favorites in the tournament founded by sportsman Raul “Yayoy” Alcoseba.

UV swept the first seven titles of the Cebu Schools Athletic Federation Inc. (Cesafi) and fell one game short of winning its first crown in the National Collegiate Championship recently.

The Green Lancers advanced to the championship round but bowed to the UAAP powerhouse Ateneo de Manila University (AdMU) Blue Eagles in their knockout titular match.

The Greyhounds are also playing their first assignment this season and have to come up with a perfect game to stand a chance against the mighty Green Lancers.

In the first game, the Asian College of Technology (Act) Cyber Knights and the Asian College of Science and Technology (Acsat) Lightnigs cross path anew at 6 p.m.

The Cyber Knights and the Lightnings played each other on Dec. 2 at the Cebu Coliseum with the former scoring a lopsided 101-72 triumph. Correspondent Calvin D. Cordova

amdgc82
12-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Size does matter
Cebu Daily News
Last updated 03:02pm (Mla time) 12/12/2007

The powerhouse University of the Visayas (UV) Green Lancers pounded on the smaller lineup of the Asian College of Science and Technology (Acsat) Lightnings to score a blowout 88-62 triumph last Sunday in the 2nd Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAA) men’s basketball tournament at the Foundation University (FU) gym in Dumaguete City.

The towering combination of Ariel Mepaña, Greg Slaughter and Rino Berami lorded over the paint en route to a combined 43 points. The trio also delivered on the Lancers’ defensive stand, making life miserable for the scorers of the Cyber Knights.

Mepana and Berami are both six-foot-seven cagers, while Slaughter is a hulking 6-foot-11 behemoth.

With the intimidating presence of UV’s stratospheric threesome, only one Cyber Knight was able to score in double figures.

Mepana had 17 points, Slaughter added 14, while Berame had 12 as the Green Lancers pocketed their second straight win for a clean 2-0 (win-loss) card.

The Green Lancers debuted in the league with an 83-55 trashing of the FU Greyhounds last Saturday.

Against Acsat, the Green Lancers had an anemic first quarter where they only scored 11 points but stepped on the gas in the second where they erupted for 33 points resulting in a 44-28 lead going into the final half.

The Green Lancers erected a 71-50 lead after three quarters and were never threatened the rest of the way.

The Lightnings stayed winless in four games.

Box scores:
UV (88)- Mepana 17, Slaughter 14, Berame 12, Villanil 9, Akad 5, Calo 5, Diputado 5, Arda 5, Dennison 4, Lasala 4, Tancongco 4, Lao 2, Sendrijas 2.
ACSAT (62)- Viliran 23, Silva 9, Ganaan 6, Quintao 6, Abejero 5, Nillas 3, dela Cruz 3, Cabarubias 3, Quinones 2, Ferraren 2. /Correspondent Calvin D. Cordova

amdgc82
12-17-2007, 08:20 PM
SWU Cobras turn back WLC in VAAA hoop
Cebu Daily News
Last updated 02:43pm (Mla time) 12/17/2007

The Southwestern University (SWU) Cobras banked on a solid second half kick in repulsing the Western Leyte College (WLC) Mustangs, 90-68, last Saturday in the 2nd Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) men's basketball tournament at the Ormoc Superdome in Ormoc City.

Eric Zanoria, Chris Litorja and Alfred Belande all scored in double figures, leading the Cobras to their third win in as many games.

They are now in second place behind the league-leading Asian College of Technology (Act) Cyber Knights (4-0).

Zanoria scored 18 points, Litorja pitched in 16 and Belande had 12 for the Cobras, who duplicated their 102-59 routing of the same WLC squad on December 2 at the Cebu Coliseum. The Mustangs remained winless in three games.

BOX SCORES:
SWU (90)- Zanoria 18, Litorja 16, Belande 12, Canonigo 8, Maguate 8, Divinagracia 7, Tobongbanua 6, Django 6, Poligrates 4, Paquioa 3, Jalandoni 2.

WLC (68)- Ceniza 15, Penalosa 12, Bejoc 11, Cadayong 9, Rae 8, Ballera 3, Mislang 2, Senara 2, Gludo 2, Dinoy 2, Smile 2.

QUARTERSCORES: 19-15, 33-34, 61-50, 90-68. /Correspondent Calvin D. Cordova

thadzonline
12-17-2007, 09:24 PM
ACSAT at 4-0?

hmmm, ACSAT fell prey to ACT in their first game and fell to UV as well, maybe ACSAT has a 0-4 record and not 0-4

ankle breaker
12-25-2007, 10:14 AM
ACSAT at 4-0?

hmmm, ACSAT fell prey to ACT in their first game and fell to UV as well, maybe ACSAT has a 0-4 record and not 0-4

maybe they are referring to ACT.

thadzonline
12-25-2007, 09:31 PM
that probably is ACT which I heard is an ACSAT sister school

amdgc82
01-13-2008, 07:05 AM
USC aims for third win as VAAA hoop resumes
Cebu Daily News
First Posted 09:45am (Mla time) 01/12/2008

THE UNIVERSITY of San Carlos (USC) Warriors shoot for their third victory when they tackle the debuting Bohol Institute of Technology (Bit) Cruisers today at the resumption of the 2nd Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) men's basketball tournament in Calape, Bohol.

The Warriors are in second place in Bracket B with two wins and one loss, trailing the Southwestern University (SWU) Cobras, who are perfect at 3-0 (win-loss).

BIT and the Western Leyte College (WLC) Mustangs complete the cast in Bracket B.
The Mustangs are still winless after four games.

In bracket A, the Asian College of Technology (Act) Cyber Knights are on top with a clean 4-0 record.

Occupying the second place are the powerhouse University of the Visayas (UV) Green Lancers, who are still unbeaten in two games.

The Foundation University (FU) Greyhounds and the Asian College of Science and Technology (Acsat) Lightnings sport 0-2 and 0-4 records, respectively. Correspondent Calvin D. Cordova

amdgc82
01-14-2008, 06:16 AM
BIT cruises past USC in VAAA stunner
The Freeman
Monday, January 14, 2008

The Bohol Institute of Technology-International College (BIT-IC) Cruisers kicked off their title campaign with a big surprise, gunning down the heavyweight University of San Carlos (USC) Warriors, 86-83, in the resumption of the 2nd Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) men’s basketball tournament last Saturday at the Calape Sports Center in Calape, Bohol.

The BIT-IC Cruisers trailed by five points at halftime, 38-43, but egged on by the cheers of the pro-Boholano crowd, the hosts staged a tide-turning 24-12 rally in the third period to grab the lead for good at the end of the third period, 62-55.

The visiting USC Warriors, who played sans their deadly one-two punch of Enrico Llanto and Niño Ramirez, threatened to pull away several times in the closing minutes of the contest, but the BIT-IC Cruisers held on their ground until the final buzzer.

As of this writing yesterday, the BIT-IC Cruisers are seeking for their second straight victory in as many games as they slugged it out with the undefeated Southwestern University (SWU) Cobras.

The SWU Cobras currently paced the Bracket A leader board with a clean 3-0 slate followed by the USC Warriors with an even 2-2 win-loss record.

In Bracket B, seven-time Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation, Inc. (CESAFI) champion University of the Visayas (UV) Green Lancers are on top of the totem pole with an immaculate 2-0 card.

Foundation University (FU) Greyhounds and Asian College of Science and Technology (ACSAT) Lightnings, both of Dumaguete, and Western Leyte College (WLC) Mustangs of Ormoc, stayed winless in this nine-team field competition bankrolled by M. Lhuillier Kwarta Padala.

The scores

BIT (86) - Lusdoc 31, Lumasag 15, Guillena 10, Damayo 10, Crusado 9, Timtim 9, Martinez 2

USC (83) - Igao 15, Codilla 15, Padillo 12, Cortes 10, Hermosa 9, Gallarde 8, Blanes 4, Baker 3, Joven 3, Bautista 3, Bercede 2

Quarterscores:24-22, 38-43, 62-55, 86-83* *— EBV

amdgc82
01-16-2008, 06:39 AM
SWU Cobras remain unbeaten with victory against BIT
Cebu Daily News
First Posted 15:11:00 01/15/2008

The unbeaten Southwestern University (SWU) Cobras tightened their hold of the bracket B lead with an 86-67 trashing of the Bohol Institute of Technology (BIT) Cruisers last Sunday in the 2nd Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) men's basketball tournament in Calape, Bohol.

Alfred Belande, Eric Zanoria and Clifford Maguate scored 19 points each to lead the Cobras to their fourth straight win in as many outings.

The Cruisers entered the match in high spirits after upsetting the University of San Carlos (USC) Warriors in their debut game last Saturday, 86-83.

BIT, however, failed to match SWU's hot offensive charge in the first quarter that ended with the Cobras sitting on a 27-15 lead.

The Cruisers cut the deficit to just seven at the bend, 44-37, but the Cobras came up with the game-sealing run in the third where they outscored their opponent, 26-13, that led to a huge 70-50 lead with only one quarter left.

The Cobras remained relentless in the fourth and never gave the Cruisers any chance of turning the game around.

The Cruisers slipped to 1-1 (win-loss). /Correspondent Calvin D. Cordova

ankle breaker
01-23-2008, 11:46 PM
what's the latest update of VAAA?

thadzonline
01-24-2008, 12:49 AM
word is VAAA resumes after the La Fortuna Cup II

amdgc82
02-05-2008, 06:55 AM
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2008/02/05/sports/cebu.schools.lead.vaaa.elims.html

Tuesday, February 05, 2008
Cebu schools lead VAAA elims

AS THE competition for the surviving four teams nearly draws to a close in the 2008 Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) basketball competition, four of five Cebu Schools are clearly the top favorites to figure in the semifinal round.

The University of the Visayas, Asian College of Technology, Southwestern University and University of San Carlos Warriors are clearly heading for the tough semifinal round. A fifth Cebu team, Salazar Colleges of Science and Technology, trail the Warriors and could steal the final slot.

League commissioner Jose Murillo is expecting a tough semifinal round with an all-Cebu competition.

UV is currently holding a 3-0 card, SWU has a 4-0 slate along with ACT. USC is 2-2 and SCSIT has a 1-1 mark. UV, ACT and SCSIT are grouped in Bracket A, while SWU and USC are in Bracket B.

After a busy 2007 schedule, where they completed the first round of elimination, VAAA had sporadic schedules on its second round following the various activities that Cebu had in the past month.

But after the conclusion of two events, the resumption of the VAAA is expected to go full throttle to avoid being tangled again by another tournament. (RCM)

ankle breaker
02-06-2008, 05:37 AM
do you have the complete list of the standings?

amdgc82
02-06-2008, 05:33 PM
^

Standings
4-0 - SWU Cobras* * * * *
4-0 - ACT Cyber Knights
3-0 - UV Green Lancers
2-2 - USC Warriors
1-1 - SCSIT Skyblazers
1-1 - BIT-IC Cruisers
0-3 - FU Greyhounds
0-4 - WLC Mustangs
0-4 - ACSAT Lightnings

amdgc82
02-16-2008, 06:30 AM
http://globalnation.inquirer.net/cebudailynews/sports/view/20080215-119076/VAAA-hoop-resumes-today

VAAA hoop resumes today
Cebu Daily News
First Posted 12:12:00 02/15/2008

THE 2ND VISAYAS Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) men's basketball tournament resumes with a pair of games today at the Cebu Coliseum.

The Salazar Colleges of Science and Institute of Technology (SC-SIT) Baby Skyblazers play the Asian College of Technology (Act) Cyber Knights in the first game while the University of San Carlos (USC) Warriors and the Southwestern University (SWU) Cobras face each other in the main game.

The Cobras and the Cyber Knights are leading their respective brackets as they are two of the three unbeaten teams in the league so far.

Act lords it over in Bracket A with clean 4-0 (win-loss) card while SWU sport the same slate to lead Bracket B.

Today's games are actually a rematch since it is the same pairing that played during the league's opening last Nov. 18 also at the Cebu Coliseum.

ACT and SWU came out victorious in those battles.

SC-SIT currently has an even 1-1 record while USC has two wins to show in four games. Correspondent Calvin Cordova

amdgc82
02-16-2008, 06:35 AM
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2008/02/16/sports/act.scores.emphatic.win.against.scsit.html

Saturday, February 16, 2008
ACT scores emphatic win against SCSIT

Games on Sunday:
(Cebu Coliseum)
4 p.m. - UV vs. SCSIT
5:30 p.m. - USC vs. BIT-IC

ELMER Aparice and Dondon Nuñez scored 26 and 25 points respectively to lead the Asian College of Technology Cyber Knights to its fifth win in as many games following a methodical 117-87 victory over the Salazar College of Science and Institute of Technology Skyblazers in the resumption of the 2008 VAAA Basketball tournament held at the Cebu Coliseum last night.

With Aparice and Nuñez going hot early, ACT was quick to build a double-digit lead en route to a 31-14 score after the first quarter.

“They played our game very well and all we can do was to try to minimize the effect of their red-hot game,” said SCSIT coach Giovanni Romarate after the game.

From a 17-point lead, ACT’s lead ballooned to 61-39 at the half and to 92-66 entering the final quarter.

In the presence of its school owner Doroteo Salazar, the Skyblazers were able to trim ACT’s lead down to 81-101 with an open court game and by driving strong to the hoops with still 5:31 to play.

But that was the best they could muster as the next plays were all Cyber Tigers with Aparice and Nuñez and Michael Cadiz leading the charge.

The Blazers will be up against tournament heavyweights University of the Visayas Green Lancers this Sunday.

“If only we had a good ball handler we could have put up a good fight but it will be all for naught at this point. Our next games will be mountains to climb,” Romarate said.

As for ACT head coach Lawrence “Tata” Merced, who is also facing UV soon – they will need to compensate for their height difference against the giant Green Lancers.

“We need more speed and hustle. We can’t take UV man for man all we need to do is to play pressure defense. We have to give them pressure because we know they’re (UV) not very good when the opponent plays pressure game,” Merced said. ACT will play UV on Monday at 5:30 p.m. at the Cebu Coliseum. RCM

amdgc82
02-17-2008, 04:55 AM
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2008/02/17/sports/armecin.lifts.swu.over.usc.html

Sunday, February 17, 2008
Armecin lifts SWU over USC

Games today:
(Cebu Coliseum)
4 p.m. - UV vs. SCSIT
5:30 p.m. - USC vs. BIT-IC

THE Southwestern University Cobras kept their poise in the end game to score its fifth straight win following a scary 74-71 victory over the University of San Carlos Warriors in the 2008 Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) basketball tournament Friday night at the Cebu Coliseum.

The Cobras found their unlikely heroes from the sweet-shooting and reed- thin Eleazar Armecin and the defensive-minded Richard Gianchand, who came off the bench to help SWU stay undefeated and lead Bracket A.

Armecin, who was usually in coach Dodie Miego’s third rotation, waxed hot in the second quarter and delivered two-booming treys that gave the Cobras a slim margin, 36-30, before the halftime ended.

Cesafi MVP Enrico John Llanto suddenly exploded for the Warriors in the second half following a quite performance in the first 10 minutes.

With Llanto’s imposing presence in the shaded lane, the defense of the Cobras collapsed in the middle, opening the perimeter for Niño Ramirez most of the time.

However, despite the huge games of Llanto and Ramirez, the Cobras were able to control the momentum of the game because of the production of Gianchand, Armecin and Ardd Evan Django who all stepped up when SWU’s top scorers were checked by the Warriors.

Armecin scored 19, Gianchand finished with 17 and Django contributed 16 when SWU’s top scorers Eric Zanoria, Alfred Belande and Cleford Maguate were held to just a combined 17 points.

Ramirez led USC’s third defeat in five games with 19 markers, while Llanto added 16 and Joven Cid Cortes finished with 10.

SWU is looking to close the elimination round unbeaten when they meet Bohol Institute of Technology-International College Cruisers on Monday.

SWU (74)—Armecin 19, Gianchand 17, Django 16, Maguate 7, Belande 5, Zanoria 5, Litorja 3, Jalandoni 2.
USC (71)—Ramirez 19, Llanto 16, Cortes 10, Joven 9, Hermosa 6, Padillo 5, Blanes 4, Codilla 2. Quarters: 13-12; 36-30; 53-48; 74-71. (RCM)

amdgc82
02-18-2008, 05:35 AM
http://sports.inquirer.net/cdnsports/cdnsports/view/20080217-119455/Llanto-Ramirez-fail-to-save-Warriors-against-Cobras

VAAA HOOP
Llanto, Ramirez fail to save Warriors against Cobras
Cebu Daily News
First Posted 09:11:00 02/17/2008

THE TANDEM of Enrico Llanto and Nino Ramirez would normally play the hero's role when the game is on the line. But last Friday, the dreaded duo played goat.

Llanto and Ramirez fumbled in two crucial plays that sent the University of San Carlos (USC) Warriors crashing to a painful 74-71 defeat against the surging Southwestern University (SWU) Cobras in the 2nd Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) men's basketball tournament at the Cebu Coliseum.

The Cobras found themselves on top at the end of every quarter but the Warriors found an opportunity to turn the game around in the dying seconds.

Down by two, 70-72, with 26 seconds left, the Warriors went hard on the defensive end and forced the Cobras to commit a turnover.

Ramirez then drove strong to the basket and managed to fish a foul with 15. 1 seconds left.

With SWU in penalty, USC had the chance to tie the game but Ramirez could only make one of his two free throws to make it 71-72.

The Warriors were forced to foul SWU's Clifford Maguate, who coolly made the two gift shots that gave the Cobras a crucial 74-71 lead with only 11.5 ticks left.

SWU had another chance of tying the count but Llanto missed a wide-open three-pointer from the top of the key and the two squads scrambled for the rebound as time ran out, sealing the nail-biting win of the Cobras.

BOX SCORES

SWU (74)- Gianchan 17, Django 16, Armecin 19, Maguate 7, Zanoria 5, Belande 5, Litorja 3, Jalandoni 2.

USC (71)- Ramirez 19, Llanto 16, Cortes 10, Joven 9, Hermosa 6, Padillo 5, Blanes 4, Codilla 2. QUARTERSCORES: 13-12, 36-30, 53-48, 74-71. Correspondent Calvin D. Cordova

amdgc82
02-19-2008, 05:18 AM
http://www.philstar.com/index.php?Sports&p=52&type=2&sec=73&aid=20080218142

Warriors sink Cruisers in 2nd VAAA hoopfest
Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The University of San Carlos (USC) Warriors lashed back at Bohol Institute of Technology-International College (BIT-IC) Cruisers in devastating fashion, 108-88, to keep their semifinals bid alive in the 2nd Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) men’s basketball tournament on Sunday night at the Cebu Coliseum.

Thus, the USC Warriors scored a sweet redemption of their 83-86 setback to the BIT-IC Cruisers in their first encounter.

Now that their paths crossed again, the USC Warriors were so dominant in proving who’s the real boss.

The Warriors opened the game with a 30-19 bang and then unleashed a 28-17 burst in the second quarter to mount an imposing 22-point bulge, 58-36, at the intermission.

The Warriors weren’t done from there where they staged another back-breaking 32-22 rally to further blow the game apart, 90-58, entering the last 10-minute mark of contest.

Flashy guard Niño Ramirez showed the way for the Warriors with 18 points even as three others cashed in double figures.

Jacques Andre “Jabby” Bautista banged in14 markers, ace center Enrico Llanto chipped in 3 and forward Joven Cid “Yao Ming” Cortes had 11 as USC evened its win-loss record to 3-3.

The scores

USC (108) - Ramirez 18, Bautista 14, Llanto 13, Cortes 11, Joven 9, Blanes 7, Padillo 7, Igao 6, Bakker 5, Gallarde 4, Codilla 4, Hermosa 2

BIT-IC (88) - Guilena 18, Damayo 18, Lusdoc 17, Gonzales 9, Cruzado 8, Martinez 8, Araula 6, Bill 5

Quarterscores:30-19, 58-36, 90-58, 108-88 —EBV

amdgc82
02-19-2008, 05:19 AM
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2008/02/19/sports/cobras.sink.cruisers.into.deep.html

Tuesday, February 19, 2008
Cobras sink Cruisers into deep

ELVID Poligrates wreaked havoc in the opening quarter to set the one-sided victory of the Southwestern University Cobras, 107-74, over the Bohol Institute of Technology—International College Cruisers in their second round meeting of the 2008 Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) basketball tournament at the Cebu Coliseum last night.

Poligrates scored 18, including four triples of his 22 points in the first quarter and Eric Zanoria added 10 of his 13 as the Cobras started the game with a 32-18 lead.

Worse for the Cruisers, the Cobras intensified its defense in the second quarter limiting the visitors to score a measly seven points while SWU cruised to a 54-25 lead at the half time.

Mark Guillena and Ferdinand Lusdoc tried to give fire to the game of the Cruisers as they combined 23 of the team’s 26 points production in the third period that cut SWU lead down to 76-51 entering the final period.

However, Rowen Tubongbanua scored all of his 10 points and Alfred Belande sank six of his 11 points in the fourth as SWU again outscored BIT-IC 31-23 for the final count.

The Cobras ended the elimination round unscathed with a record of 6-0 win-loss card while it was BIT-IC’s third defeat in four games, including an 88-108 defeat to the University of San Carlos Warriors Sunday evening also at the Coliseum.

Catching up

Today, the Cruisers will try to regain their winning spirit as they play against the winless Western Leyte College Mustangs in the opening game at 4 p.m., to be followed by the second meeting of the Salazar Colleges of Science and Institute of Technology Skyblazers and the University of the Visayas Green Lancers.

As of press time, UV played against Asian College of Technology Cyber Tigers for the No.1 seed in Group B.

Meanwhile, the University of the Visayas Green Lancers rebounded from a 15-point deficit in the first quarter before pulling an emphatic 106-83 victory over the listless Salazar Colleges of Science and Institute of Technology Skyblazers last Saturday.

The Green Lancers showed a glimpse of its vulnerability in the opening quarter when using the third stringers to start the game.

They paid dearly for it as the Skyblazers quickly jumped to a hot start behind the efforts of Benjie Calma and Gilbert Violango Jr.

SCSIT was in control of the game until the sixth minute mark of the third quarter before UV could grab the lead for good behind the efforts of the 6-foot-11 beanpole Gregg Slaughter, six-foot-five veteran forward Ariel Mepaña and fearless slasher Morsie Akad to reverse the outcome of the game.

Overwhelming

The Skyblazers were ahead 51-48 when Slaughter, Mepaña and Akad mastered a 22-11 blitz that gave the Green Lancers a 70-62 lead entering the final quarter.

From thereon, UV made the game an eventual practice game as the Skyblazers slowly crumbled into pieces to suffer their third defeat in four games. UV meanwhile just picked their third win in as many games.

Ritchum Dennison scored 19 for UV while Akad and Slaughter added 18 and 17 points respectively. Calma lead all scorer with 20 points for the SCSIT squad.

Today, undefeated teams UV Green Lancers and the Asian College of Technology Cyber Tigers will try to stay unscathedf int he main game scheduled at 6 p.m. (RCM)

amdgc82
02-20-2008, 05:59 AM
http://sports.inquirer.net/cdnsports/cdnsports/view/20080219-119846/Warriors-snap-skid

Warriors snap skid
Cebu Daily News
First Posted 15:32:00 02/19/2008

The University of San Carlos (USC) Warriors hit two birds with one stone when they clobbered the Bohol Institute of Technology (BIT) Warriors, 108-88, last Sunday in the 2nd Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) men's basketball tournament at the Cebu Coliseum.

The win served as sweet revenge for the Warriors and at the same time allowed them to snap a two-game slide and improve to 3-3 (win-loss) in the standings.

The Warriors lost to the Cruisers in their first encounter on January 12 in Calape, Bohol, 83-86.

Determined to avenge that bitter loss, the Warriors wasted no time in jumping to a serious business and closed the first period with a 30-19 lead.

The Warriors continued to pound the hapless Cruisers in the succeeding minutes to seal the easy win.

Niño Ramirez topped USC with 18 points while seven other Warriors scored at least seven points.

Meanwhile, after that loss to the Warriors, the Cruisers suffered another beating when they got ambushed by the Southwestern University (SWU) Cobras, 74-107.

With the loss, the Cruisers slipped to 1-3.

The Cobras, on the other hand, firmed up their hold of the solo lead in Bracket A after padding their record to 6-0.

BOX SCORES:
USC 108 (108)- Ramirez 18, Bautista 14, Llanto 13, Cortes 11,Joven 9, Bercede 8, Blanes 7, Padillo 7, Igao 6, Bakker 5, Gallarde 4, Codilla 4, Hermosa 2.
BIT (88)- Damayo 18, Guilena 18, Lusdoc 17, Gonzalo 9, Cruzado 8, Martinez 8, Araula 6, Bill 5.
QUARTERSCORES: 30-19, 58-36, 90-59, 108-88. /Correspondent Calvin D. Cordova

amdgc82
02-20-2008, 06:06 AM
http://philstar.com/index.php?Sports&p=52&type=2&sec=73&aid=20080219173

Cobras keep clean slate in VAAA
Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Southwestern University (SWU) Cobras gobbled up the Bohol Institute of Technology-International College (BIT-IC) Cruisers, 108-74, to stretch their unbeaten streak to six in the 2nd Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) men’s basketball tournament at the Cebu Coliseum.

Flashy guard Eliud Poligrates topscored with 22 points, even as five others submitted twin figures for the Cobras, who assumed the solo leadership in the nine-team field tilt with an immaculate 6-0 win-loss record.

BIT-IC crashed to its third straight defeat after kicking off its campaign with an 86-83 upset of the University of San Carlos (USC) Warriors last January 12 in Calape, Bohol.

Eric Zanoria contributed 13 points for the Cobras, while Chris “The Sniper” Litorja and Alfred Belande chipped in 11 markers as they kept the Boholanos at bay since mounting a 14-point advantage at the end of the opening quarter, 32-18.

Inspired by their hot start, the Cobras of coach Alejandrito “Dodie” Miego detonated a devastating 22-7 bomb in the second period to put the game beyond BIT-IC’s reach at halftime, 54-25. SWU then closed the one-side battle with a 32-23 bang for the 34-point blowout.

Rowen Tubongbania and Clifford Maguate donated 10 points each underscoring SWU’s balanced attack.

The scores

SWU (108) - Poligrates 22, Zanoria 13, Litorja 11, Belande 11, Tubongbania 10, Maguate 10, Tilap 6, Ceniza 6, Armecin 6, Gianchand 4, Jalandoni 4, Divinagracia 4

BIT-IC (74) - Lusdoc 34, Guilinal 17, Timtim 11, Damayo 5,* Ochea 2, Martinez 2,* Gonzales 2, Cruzado 1

Quarterscores:32-18, 54-25, 76-51, 108-74—EBV

amdgc82
02-20-2008, 06:08 AM
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2008/02/20/sports/lancers.breeze.thru.vaaa.group.b.html

Wednesday, February 20, 2008
Lancers breeze thru VAAA Group B

POWERHOUSE University of the Visayas Green Lancers nailed its fourth victory and took away the solo leadership in Group B of the 2008 Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) Collegiate basketball tournament.

The Green Lancers proved too much for the shorter Asian College of Technology Cyber Tigers following a 97-69 win in the battle of unbeaten teams last Monday night at the Cebu Coliseum.

Meanwhile, the Bohol Institute of Technology – International College Cruisers finally scored a win in its first away game handing another visiting squad – Western Leyte College Mustangs a high wired 121-110 win.

The Green Lancers did not do the same mistake that saw them trailing by 15 points against the Salazar College of Science and Institute of Technology Skyblazers last Sunday as they started rolling strong.

The Cyber Tigers however kept the Green Lancers within reach for the first three quarters before rolling the red carpet to the taller opponents in the final quarter.

Von Harry Lanete topped the Green Lancers with 17, 6-foot-11 beanpole Gregg Slaughter scored with 16 before fouling out in the final 3;36 of the fourth and Chad Harlow Villanil scored 10 as UV grabbed the solo leadership in their bracket.

Joel Vistal topped ACT scorers with 22 markers as Elmer Aparice added 16 for the Cyber Knights’ first defeat in six games.

Meanwhile, Ferdinand Lusdoc scored 47 points to lead BIT-IC to its second win in five games while handing the WLC Mustangs its fifth straight defeat.

UV (97)—Lanete 17, Slaughter 16, Villanil 10, Calo 10, Dennison 8, Diputado 7, Mepaña 4, Luga 4, Lao 4, Akad 4, Sendrijas 2. ACT (69)—Vistal 22, Aparice 16, Nuñez 10, Doy 6, de la Peña 6, Cadiz 4, Batiancila 3, Paraguya 2, Valencia 2. Quarters: 21-13; 39-30; 62-54; 97-69. (RCM)

amdgc82
02-21-2008, 06:27 AM
http://www.philstar.com/index.php?Sports&p=52&type=2&sec=73&aid=20080220127

UV overcomes SCSIT scare in VAAA hoop tourney
Thursday, February 21, 2008

Seven-time CESAFI champion University of the Visayas (UV) Green Lancers squandered a 23-point lead but played cool under heavy fire to repulse the upset-seeking Salazar Colleges of Science and Institute of Technology (SCSIT) Skyblazers, 104-94, the other night at the Cebu Coliseum.

Thus, the UV Green Lancers joined idle Southwestern University (SWU) Cobras atop the leaderboard of the 2nd Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) men’s basketball tournament with similar clean 6-0 slates.

The Green Lancers of coach Elmer “Boy” Cabahug appeared to be headed for a one-sided demolition of the Skyblazers when they mounted a commanding 57-34 lead with 1:48 to go before halftime.

The Lancers smoothly maintained a double-digit advantage for most part of the final half until they sailed on rough waters brought by SCSIT’s courageous fight-back that started off when Gilbert Violango completed a rare four-point play to pull the Skyblazers within 81-90 with leff than four minure left to play.

As the Lancers couldn’t get their offense going, the Skyblazers, inspired by the presence of team owner Enrg. Doroteo M. Salazar who acted as their chief cheerleader at the ringside, came up with bigtime plays to further close in at 94-99 on Benjie Calma’s 3-pointer with 1:43 to go.

The big-hearted Skyblazers could have gotten closer, but Accel Rabaya missed a wide-open, but leaning jumper with less than a minute remaining in the game. Had Rabaya made the shot, it could have turned the tide in SCSIT’s favor.

Boniber Sendrijas then doused cold water on SCSIT’s fierce attack by converting* a basket to push UV ahead, 101-94. Seconds later, Ritchum Dennison darted in a long triple to settle the final outcome.SCSIT led only once in the game, 5-2, on a triple by Violango with just two minutes gone by after the opening tip-off. UV never looked back after wresting the driver’s seat, 8-7, on a three-point play by Sylvester Tancongco.

6-foot-11 Fil-Am Gregory Fuentes-Slaughter, who easily ate up the defense of the smaller SCSIT players, topscored for the Lancers with 18 points. His crucial free throws in the closing minutes of the game helped UV dodge from the upset arrow about to be launched by the Skyblazers.

Dennison had 14 points for the Lancers followed by Lanete with 11. Eulogio Lasala and Lao banged in 10 markers each.

Calma topscored SCSIT with 26 points followed by Violango with 13. Jeffrey Tampus and Arman Serna each had 12 points but their efforts went for naught as they slumped to 1-4.

The scores

UV (104) - Slaughter 18, Dennison 14, Lanete 11, Lasala 10, Lao 10, Calo 9, Diputado 7,* Arda 5, Tancongco 5, Luga 4, Sendrijas 4, Villanil 4, Mepaña 3

SCSIT (94) - Calma 26, Violango 13, J. Tampus 12, Serna 12, JP Tampus 6, Jabadan 4, Ong 4, Amarado 3, Aribal 3, Rabaya 3, Tajanlangit 2 — EBV

amdgc82
02-21-2008, 06:32 AM
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2008/02/21/sports/uv.lancers.beat.scsit.html

Thursday, February 21, 2008
UV Lancers beat SCSIT

THE UNIVERSITY of the Visayas Green Lancers got their acts together in time to beat the hard fighting Salazar Colleges of Science and Institute of Technology Skyblazers, 104-94, in the 2008 Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) collegiate basketball action at the Cebu Coliseum Tuesday night.

The Lancers nearly wasted a 23-point second quarter lead to the very determined Skyblazers.

From a 34-57 deficit in the 1:43 mark of the second quarter, SCSIT got back using its patented run-and-gun game that enabled it to cut the lead 94-99 in the final 1:42 of the fourth quarter.

The Skyblazers used sheer determination and their accurate three-point shooting to come back into the game just as when everybody has given up on them.

The blitz started when Jeffrey Tampus sank a buzzer beating triple five feet beyond the back court that closed the third period at 69-85. (RCM)

amdgc82
03-05-2008, 06:35 AM
VAAA gives way to semis for top teams (http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2008/03/05/sports/vaaa.gives.way.to.semis.for.top.teams.html)
Wednesday, March 05, 2008
www.sunstar.com.ph

EXCITEMENT is written all over the upcoming semifinal matches of the 2008 Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) which will be on the last weekend of March at the Cebu Coliseum.

VAAA Commissioner Jose “Boy” Murillo announced that he was forced to cancel all the other games, which are all non-bearing to give way to the semifinal round the top four Cebu teams, University of the Visayas Green Lancers, Southwestern University Cobras, University of San Carlos Warriors and the Asian College of Technology Cyber Tigers.

“Actually, there are still elimination games left for the other teams but it’s all non-bearing since the top teams in each bracket were already known. I had consulted with our league organizer Yayoy Alcoseba, and he has approved it. I also talked with the coaches involved and they are amenable to my idea to save money and efforts,” said Murillo.

The elimination round of VAAA has dragged a long way following cancellation of some games and to give way to bigger and more compelling events that clashed with its schedules.

According to Murillo, teams like Salazar Colleges of Science and Institute of Technology, Asian College of Science and Technology and Foundation University of Dumaguete, Bohol Institute of Technology and Western Leyte College, all still had games left but agreed to cancel them since it would not affect the standings.

The upset victory of SWU Cobras over the UV Lancers last week for the 2008 NSBC Inter-Collegiate title paved the way to an exciting meeting between the two.

SWU (6-0) and UV (6-0) topped their respective brackets and in the semifinals, the Cobras will take on Group B No. 2 ACT Cyber Knights and the Lancers will play Group A No.1 USC Warriors. (RCM)

thadzonline
03-05-2008, 07:13 AM
and their goes USC and UV again in the semis...should be exciting...would have been more exciting to see them face each other in the Finals

ankle breaker
03-14-2008, 04:48 AM
any updates on what happened to the semis games? is this a 1 game semis or a single round robin semis where the top2 squads will battle it out for the finals.

MykelV
03-20-2008, 07:15 AM
just received news that the semis will start after the holy week as coach yayoy is still in the US.

thadzonline
03-21-2008, 03:12 AM
yup, last week of March ang semis ng VAAA...mykelV? kind enough for an introduction?

amdgc82
04-25-2008, 05:10 AM
VAAA crossover semifinals today at Coliseum (http://philstar.com/index.php?Sports&p=52&type=2&sec=73&aid=20080424199)
Friday, April 25, 2008
The Freeman

The battle for supremacy in the 2nd Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) men’s basketball tournament has been reduced to four teams.

And they all fight for dear life in today’s crossover semifinals of the collegiate cage league bankrolled by M. Lhuillier Kwarta Padala and sanctioned by Samagang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (BAP-SBP) at the Cebu Coliseum.

In the first game at 5 pm, strong title contender University of the Visayas (UV) Green Lancers take on the University of San Carlos (USC) Warriors in a rematch of last year’s CESAFI finals.

After the UV-USC collision, inaugural VAAA runner-up Southwestern University (SWU) Cobras will clash with the Asian College of Technology (ACT) Cyber Knights in the main match at 6:30 pm.

In the event of a victory by UV and SWU, a surefire grudge rematch will dazzle Cebuano hoop fans, with the Green Lancers seeking payback of their stunning loss to the Cobras during the final of the 62nd National Students Basketball Championships two months ago at the Cebu Coliseum.

The winners of today’s pair of knockout matches will set up a title showdown at 6:30 pm tomorrow, while the losers will go up against each other at 5 pm for the third place honors still at the same venue.—EBV

amdgc82
04-27-2008, 05:26 AM
New defensive strategy helps UV topple USC in VAAA semis (http://sports.inquirer.net/cdnsports/cdnsports/view/20080426-132837/New-defensive-strategy-helps-UV-topple-USC-in-VAAA-semis)
Cebu Daily News
First Posted 08:05:00 04/26/2008

THE UNIVERSITY of the Visayas (UV) Green Lancers banked on their newfound defense in beating the University of San Carlos (USC) Warriors, 97-86, booking a championship ticket in the 2nd Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) men's basketball tournament last night at the Cebu Coliseum.

The Green Lancers used a 1-3-1 defense to suffocate the Warriors, who crumbled in the second half after dominating the first two quarters.

"It was the first time that we used that kind of defense and we were fortunate that it worked in this crucial game," UV head coach Elmer 'Boy' Cabahug said in a post-game interview.

USC was in control early, banking on the inspired game of Eddie Bakker in the second quarter, where he unloaded 16 of his 21 points in the period.

UV tightened its defense in the third and turned exclusively to six-foot-11 behemoth Greg Slaughter on offense.

The Warriors rallied within three in the final 1:47, 84-87, but Slaughter made a two-handed slam to give the Green Lancers an 89-84 lead with 1:37 to go.

Von Lanete then came up with a steal and completed a three-point play as UV put the game away for good.
Harlou Villanil topped UV with 17 points, while Slaughter added 15.

USC's main Enrico Llanto was limited to just five points as he played despite nursing a hip injury.

The Southwestern University (SWU) Cobras and Asian College of Technology (Act) were still completing their own semis battle as of press time last night with the winner of that match facing the Green Lancers in a best-of-three title series starting today. Correspondent Calvin D. Cordova

amdgc82
04-27-2008, 05:35 AM
SWU faces UV for VAAA title (http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2008/04/27/sports/swu.faces.uv.for.vaaa.title.html)
Sunday, April 27, 2008
www.sunstar.com.ph

THE Southwestern University Cobras nabbed the second finals slot to forge another showdown with powerhouse University of the Visayas Green Lancers in the best-of-three championship series of the 2008 Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) basketball tournament at the Cebu Coliseum last Friday.

The Cobras defeated the stubborn Asian College of Technology (ACT) Cyber Tigers, 82-70, to book the second seat after UV defeated University of San Carlos Warriors, 97-86, in the other semifinal match.

The Cobras were all business from start to finish as the 62nd NSBC Inter-Collegiate champions showed a balanced offensive attack from the inside and outside.

The Cyber Tigers, although shorter and smaller, displayed huge heart as they were able to put a good fight behind the efforts of Elmer Aparice and Joel Vistal. However, the balanced games of center Clefford Maguate, power forward Richard Gianchand, swingman Eric Zanoria and point guard Ardd Evan Django were too much for ACT to handle.

Zanoria topped SWU scorers with 16 markers, Gianchand and Maguate scored 15 each and Django finished with 13 to fill the shoes vacated by starting guard Elvid Poligrates.

Poligrates was resting his sprained right ankle.

Aparice scored the game-high 32 points for the losing Cyber Tigers, while Vistal added 12.

Dondon Nuñez also contributed 10 as ACT aimed for the consolation third place finish against the Warriors at press time last night.

Meanwhile, in the first semifinal, Filipino-American Greg Slaughter and swingman Chad Harlow Villanil each scored 10 points and power forward Michael Luga added six as the UV Green Lancers overcame a sloppy first half with a blistering second half performance to nab the first championship seat.

USC was in control of the game in the first half with forward Eddie Bakker stepping up in the second quarter, scoring 12 of his 16 points to give the Warriors a 47-37 lead at the half.

However, it was quickly erased by the Lancers in the second with Slaughter scoring eight in a 14-2 run that gave UV the lead 51-49.

“Our game plan in the first half was all experimental, we rotated the ball and tried to find our shooters. But their defense was tight, so they were able to lead by that much. But we changed our game plan in the second. I wanted Greg (Slaughter) to get the first position to open our shooters and they delivered. Defensively, we also used our 1-3-1 defense that we never used in previous games. USC failed to solve it,” said UV coach Elmer “Boy” Cabahug after the game.

Jaby Bautista gave the lead back to USC with a three-point play at the 4:22 mark but the Lancers couldn’t be denied as they closed the third quarter with a 69-63 lead. (RCM)

amdgc82
04-28-2008, 05:43 AM
Lancers take Game 1 in VAAA finals (http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2008/04/28/sports/lancers.take.game.1.in.vaaa.finals.html)
Monday, April 28, 2008
www.sunstar.com.ph

THE big men of the University of the Visayas Green Lancers stepped up huge in crunch time to move a game away from exacting payback after winning Game 1 of the best-of-three 2008 VAAA championship, 85-82, over the Southwestern University Cobras last Saturday at the Cebu Coliseum.

Power forward Michael Luga finished with24 points and the 6-foot-11 center Greg Slaughter added 22 to frustrate the Cobras, who are seeking their second title since reactivating their basketball program two years ago.

The Lancers turned to their post players when their wing and gunners failed to out-hustle the stubborn Cobras.

Defensively, however, the Green Lancers were successful in containing SWU’s biggest threats, Elvid Poligrates and Alfred Belande, who were the vital factors of the Cobras’ win over UV during the 62nd National Students Basketball Championship last March.

The Lancers were looking to end the series against the Cobras at press time last night.

Meanwhile, the Asian College of Technology Cyber Tigers nabbed the third place trophy after beating the University of San Carlos Warriors in the knockout game for third place. (RCM)

amdgc82
04-28-2008, 05:45 AM
UV Draws first blood (http://philstar.com/index.php?Sports&p=52&type=2&sec=73&aid=20080427177)
Monday, April 28, 2008
The Freeman

The University of the Visayas (UV) Green Lancers blew away a 10-point lead in the final five minutes of the game, but recovered in time to walk away with a 85-82 victory over the Southwestern University (SWU) Cobras* in Game 1 of the best-of-three 2nd Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) men’s basketball finals the other night at the Cebu Coliseum.

Earlier, the Asian College of Technology (ACT) Cyber Knights upended the University of San Carlos (USC) Warriors, 76-71 to take home the third place honors.

The Lancers were headed for an easy victory as they took a 75-65 edge with still 5:04* left in the game, but the Cobras responded with an 8-0 blitz to pull within two points, 73-75.

With both teams hounded by passing errors towards the last few minutes, the Lancers were a little bit lucky as the Cobras faltered from the foul line as they saved their own free throw points for last in escaping with a three-point victory.

Michael Luga went on a scoring frenzy to topscore the Lancers with 24 points, while Gregory Slaughter chipped in 22 markers.* * * * * * * *

Eric Zanoria paced the Cobras with 15 points followed by Clifford Maguate with 13. Richard Gianchand and Art Diango had 11 markers* apiece.

The scores

First game

ACT (76) - Vistal 22, Aparice 13, Suico 12, Pontemayor 11, Batiancila 6, Cadiz 4, Valencia 2, Paraguya* 2,* Doy 2

USC (71) - Ramirez 16, Hermosa 14, Joven 9, Bautista 9, Bakker 6, Blanes 5, Gallarde 4, Padillo 3, Codilla 3, Igao 2 Halftime: 34-40

Second* game

UV (85) - Luga* 24, Slaughter 22, Akad 6, Diputado 6, Villanil 5, Arda 2, Sendrijas 2, Lasala 2,

SWU (82) - Zanoria 15, Maguate 13, Dioango 11, Gianchand 11, Poligrates 9, Armecin 7, Litorja 6, Jalandoni 6, Canonigo 2, Belande 2

Halftime: 33-38 (GGM)

amdgc82
04-29-2008, 05:51 AM
UV gets even with SWU, takes VAAA title (http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2008/04/29/sports/uv.gets.even.with.swu.takes.vaaa.title.html)
Tuesday, April 29, 2008
www.sunstar.com.ph

THE University of the Visayas Green Lancers completed its payback mission after finishing a two-game sweep to win the Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) title over the hapless Southwestern University Cobras Sunday evening at the Cebu Coliseum.

Eduardo Arda came out as the surprise package for the Lancers as the third year power forward went 9-of-13 from the field and 5-of-7 from the free throw line to lead all scorers with 23 points and help UV defeat SWU, 84-71, in Game 2.

Arda’s splendid performance gave UV’s main man inside the paint, Greg Slaughter, more elbow room to display his dominant game over the shorter Cobras.

Slaughter finished with 16 markers and was unanimously voted as the league’s Most Valuable Player because of his steady performance from the start of the tournament.

SWU started the game with four unanswered baskets but UV came up blazing with 10 straight baskets and never looked back from there.

The Cobras tried to beat the taller Lancers with their outside game but nailing down 10 triples were not enough to stop Arda and Slaughter from scoring at will at the post.

UV’s championship run earned them P50,000 worth of sports equipment courtesy of BAP-SBP regional chief Michel Lhuillier and regional director Raul Alcoseba.

SWU, on the other hand, received P30,000 worth of sports equipment, while third placer Asian College of Technology (ACT) and the University of San Carlos (USC) will split the remaining P20,000.

UV (84)—Arda 23, Slaughter 16, Lanete 12, Villanil 8, Diputado 7, Tancongco 7, Dennison 6, Sendrijas 2, Luga 2, Akad 1.
SWU (71)—Litorja 12, Zanoria 12, Armecin 12, Maguate 10, Django 10, Jalandoni 5, Canonigo 4, Gianchand 4, Belande 3, Poligrates 2. Quarters: 22-14; 38-32; 58-48; 84-71. (RCM)

amdgc82
04-29-2008, 05:53 AM
UV bags 2nd VAAA cage crown (http://philstar.com/index.php?Sports&p=52&type=2&sec=73&aid=20080428186)
By Gabby G. Malagar
Tuesday, April 29, 2008
The Freeman

The University of the Visayas (UV) Green Lancers completed a two-game sweep of the Southwestern University (SWU) Cobras, this time in more convincing fashion, 84-71, to clinch the championship of the 2nd Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) men’s basketball tournament last Sunday at the Cebu Coliseum.

Still smarting from that appalling loss in the National Students Basketball Championship (NSBC) last March 1 in the same venue, the Lancers could call it quits against the Cobras as of the moment although the inter-collegiate was* of higher magnitude.

But for VAAA Most Valuable Player Gregory Slaughter, the NSBC was already thing of the past.* When it was time for him to deliver, he gamely lived up to the challenge and so with rest of coach Elmer “Boy” Cabahug’s chargers.

Slaughter, who was accounted for 22 points in their 85-82 victory in Game 1,* finished with 16 points. It maybe six points lower than his first game performance, but the bigger issue was that he knows how to help his team win during crucial moments.

The other hero for UV was Eduardo Arda, who dished out a season-high 23 points. It was a timely explosion for Arda as Michael Luga was held off to only two points after hitting 24 markers in the series opener. Von Harry Lanete chipped in 12 points.

Defense also mattered most on the part of the Lancers because they succeeded in limiting slippery guard Lloyd Poligrates to a measly two points, Alfred Belande to just three points and Richard Gianchand to four points.

In turn, it was Eric Zanoria, Eliazer Armecin and Chris Litorja who topscored for SWU with 12 points apiece. Clifford Maguate and Art Diango each scored 10 in the Cobras’ losing effort.

The scores

UV (84) - Arda 23, Slaughter 16, Lanete 12, Villanil 8, Tancongco 7,* Diputado 7, Dennison 6, Luga 2, Sendrijas 2, Akad 1

SWU (71) - Zanoria 12, Litorja 12, Armecin 12, Maguate 10, Diango 10, Jalandoni 5, Canonigo 4, Gianchand 4, Belande 3, Ploigrates 2

amdgc82
04-30-2008, 06:22 AM
Revenge at last (http://sports.inquirer.net/cdnsports/cdnsports/view/20080429-133404/Revenge-at-last)
Cebu Daily News
First Posted 13:47:00 04/29/2008

The University of the Visayas (UV) erased the stigma of its previous debacle at the hands of Southwestern University (SWU) as the Green Lancers repulsed the Cobras, 84-71, to bag the championship crown of the 2nd Visayas Amateur Athletic Association (VAAA) men's basketball tournament last Sunday at the Cebu Coliseum.

The Green Lancers became the second team to win the league's crown next to the unseated defending champions University of San Jose-Recoletos (USJ-R) Jaguars, who won the league's inaugural crown at the expense of the same SWU squad.

It was sweet revenge for the Green Lancers as they avenged their championship loss to the Cobras in the National Students Basketball Championship (NSBC) last March.

UV, which took Game One, 87-84, played without head coach Elmer “Boy” Cabahug but the Green Lancers were still able to pull through behind the coaching wits of assistant coach Al Solis.

Cabahug was in Bacolod City last Sunday to compete in a shooting competition of the 2008 PBA All-Star Weekend.

Held to just two points in Game One, Eduardo Arda became UV's surprise package in the crucial game after tallying a game-high 23 points.

Beanpole Greg Slaughter had another big game for the Green Lancers as he scored 16 points, a good follow up to his 22-point output in Game One.

Slaughter was later named the tournament's Most Valuable Player (MVP).

BOX SCORES
UV (84) - Arda 23, Slaughter 16, Lanete 12, Villanil 8, Diputado 7, Tancongco 7, Dennison 6, Sendrijas 2, Luga 2, Akad 1.
SWU (71) - Litorja 12, Zanoria 12, Armecin 12, Maguate 10, Django 10, Jalandoni 5, Canonigo 4, Gianchand 4, Belande 3, Poligrates 2. QUARTERSCORES: 22-14, 38-32, 58-48, 84-71. /Correspondent Calvin D. Cordova