PDA

View Full Version : Looking Ahead - Season 71

mighty_lion
10-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Pasintabi sa inyo mga katoto kong nasa UAAP. Alam ko hindi pa tapos ang Season 70 nangangati akong gumawa ng thread na ito matapos kong makapanoud ng isang magandang laro.

Ito ang aking kasalukuyang Season 71 Power Rankings as of Oct 6, 2007:

1. FEU. You heard me right guys. FEU is my pick. Why? Promising core of Team A + Team B. The future is shining and Season 71 may yet be another start of Arwind Santos era.* The two FEU imports are for real. At 6'4-6'6, both are deadshot perimeter shooters and can slash at will. Both have excellent fundamentals on defense, inside-out. They are both quick and athletic for their size. Dont bother to ask their strength anyway. Kayang magbuhat ng kalabaw nun isa. One of them looks like young Kobe Bryant with the Fro. Yeah baby, Kobe Bryant is in town! ;D Can someone clarify if the two FEU imports can already play this Season 71? If yes, then those 7 teams down below should start thinking how to come-up with Ron Artest caliber defenders next season.

2. Ateneo. Chris Tiu, Noy Baclao, Eric Salamat, Yuri Escueta, Nkemakolam (tama ba?), Mike Baldos, Rabeh and Kirk Long. Kompleto pa rin yan. Lets just hope mag-ala Ford Arao and Kramer ang improvement ni Rabeh. Salva sweepstakes is still open but with Buenafe as lock for the Eagles line-up next season the future looks bright.* 8)

3. DLSU. Buo parin ang core. As long as Franz is in town, DLSU is still a team to beat.

4. UE. Buo parin ang core. Same with DLSU, as long as Pumaren is still in town, UE is at least a final four team.

5. UST. Watch out for another comback of Mr. MVP, Cuan, Mirza, Ababou and et al.*

batangueño
10-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Kawawa naman ang UP sa listahan mo, mighty_lion. No centennial championship for the Maroons?

Well anyway, I am wondering how things will work for UE next year. As far as I know, the Warriors are slated to lose Borboran, Espiritu, Gregorio, Fampulme and Llagas next year. However, as long as Dindo is in Recto and as long as the Lucio Tan machinery is in full swing, I think UE will continue to be, at least, a Final Four contender in the coming years.

I agree with you on your observation that FEU and Ateneo seem to be the teams to beat next year.

flsfnoeraekadad
10-06-2007, 08:47 PM
My personal rankings for next year:

1. FEU
2. Ateneo
3. UST
4. DLSU

tigerman
10-06-2007, 08:57 PM
In no particular order, interchangeable din. ;D
1. Andi
2. Sharon
3. Tracy

Kidding aside, as they say its way too early...

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

paul_tamaraws
10-06-2007, 10:10 PM
Kawawa naman ang UP sa listahan mo, mighty_lion. No centennial championship for the Maroons?

Well anyway, I am wondering how things will work for UE next year. As far as I know, the Warriors are slated to lose Borboran, Espiritu, Gregorio, Fampulme and Llagas next year. However, as long as Dindo is in Recto and as long as the Lucio Tan machinery is in full swing, I think UE will continue to be, at least, a Final Four contender in the coming years.

I agree with you on your observation that FEU and Ateneo seem to be the teams to beat next year.

maglalaro pa si fampulme next year, si arellano yung mawawala...

Dark Knight
10-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Pasintabi sa inyo mga katoto kong nasa UAAP. Alam ko hindi pa tapos ang Season 70 nangangati akong gumawa ng thread na ito matapos kong makapanoud ng isang magandang laro.

1. FEU. You heard me right guys. FEU is my pick. Why? Promising core of Team A + Team B. The future is shining and Season 71 may yet be another start of Arwind Santos era.* The two FEU imports are for real. At 6'4-6'6, both are deadshot perimeter shooters and can slash at will. Both have excellent fundamentals on defense, inside-out. They are both quick and athletic for their size. Dont bother to ask their strength anyway. Kayang magbuhat ng kalabaw nun isa. One of them looks like young Kobe Bryant with the Fro. Yeah baby, Kobe Bryant is in town! ;D Can someone clarify if the two FEU imports can already play this Season 71? If yes, then those 7 teams down below should start thinking how to come-up with Ron Artest caliber defenders next season.

Are you talking about Robert Kave and Pipo Noonduo? I think Kave can play next year. Pipo is still establishing his residency. Walang mawawala sa core ng FEU team except the slot vacated by Gerilla which Kave will occupy. And i do hope Adolfo will not return anymore. *;D

paul_tamaraws
10-06-2007, 10:21 PM

Are you talking about Robert Kave and Pipo Noonduo? I think Kave can play next year. Pipo is still establishing his residency. Walang mawawala sa core ng FEU team except the slot vacated by Gerilla which Kave will occupy. And i do hope Adolfo will not return anymore. *;D

Yah, tama kayo dun Kave will play next year, i already saw them play, magagaling talaga, si Kave yata yung Kobe Bryant look alike na sinasabi ni mighty_lion, as for Pipo, may 1 year residency pa siya kaya sa Season 72 pa siya makakapaglaro...

mighty_lion
10-06-2007, 10:21 PM
^ Yup. Dark sino si Robert at Pipo dun sa dalawa? Sino yong mas hawig kay Kobe? *;D

Dark Knight
10-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Well, as my fellow Tam posted, it looks like Kave is the Kobe look alike.

Have you seen the new thread in the RED lions Den? About FEU vs SBC Team Behold. Mukang marami pang alas na tinatago ang FEU. :)

paul_tamaraws
10-06-2007, 10:27 PM
i think so, malakas kase ang FEU Team B ngayon eh with their imports e... isama mo pa yung mga nasa Team A and FEU will have a championship-caliber team...

mighty_lion
10-06-2007, 10:55 PM
^ Late ko na nakita yong sa Red Lions Den. Number 25 yong Kobe look-a-like. Got it, Robert Kave. Pero mas impressive yong isa, si Pipo. Nag-Tmac of the board bounce pass dunk pa nung round robin. Nasindak yong mga players namin at na-flat out ang laro ;D

gfy
10-07-2007, 12:57 AM
You should watch the FEU-Fern HS team. About 5 guys are around 6'5" and quite athletic. I was told that one of the them will suit up for the seniors next year. The other four will play for their HS team which makes them IMO strong contender next year. There's this guy(#17) in Team B and the young Mangahas(#11) who are good and may also make seniors varsity.

Why do I agree with Fls' final 4 ranking? With Ateneo's recruits, we should not be celebrating losses anymore* ;D. UST is almost intact. DLSU is still DLSU. But UE will lose Gregorio, Canizares, Borboran, Fampulme and another one or two.

batangueño
10-07-2007, 01:17 AM
As far as I know, Noondoo will not see action for the Tamaraws until 2009 when he has finally finished spending his residency. FEU intends to field in Robert Kave and a certain 6'9" chinito guy next year.

For UE, well, I will not discount the possibility that they can still move things next year because Dindo will still be in Recto and the Lucio Tan financial machinery is still working. Who knows if they are hiding something right underneath their sleeves to replace graduating players such as Fampulme, Borboran, Gregorio, Llagas, Espiritu and Cañizares (Arellano still has one more year left to play for the Warriors). ;)

I really feel so sorry for UP. If Lipa was not kicked out from his post, UP would have been able to be a power to contend with next with in 2007 if ever Da Nose will be successful in bringing to Diliman Vince Burke and Nico Salva. Sadly, that will not happen anymore. :(

Lastly, for La Salle next year, uhmmmm... Maaga pa masyado eh. ;D

gfy
10-07-2007, 01:28 AM
^Espiritu has one more year. I'm not sure about Llagas. What's this I heard that, with the departure of Lipa, the varsity players don't have anymore a place to stay at the hostel?

batangueño
10-07-2007, 01:43 AM
^Espiritu has one more year. I'm not sure about Llagas. What's this I heard that, with the departure of Lipa, the varsity players don't have anymore a place to stay at the hostel?

Oh. I see. I thought Espiritu would also be leaving next year. Hindi ba't magkasabay sila ni Borboran na pumasok sa team? ???

As for UP again, I do not know about that except that I have been reading some items here and in other forums about Lipa doing clerical jobs due to a lack of supporting staff. :o

Dark Knight
10-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Actually, Pipo played very briefly at the NSL. He didnt make much of an impression because he was given very limited time by Capacio. Ipapasok lang sya pag last 2 minutes na. ;D

Pipo will be the UAAP's Sam Ekwe.

mighty_lion
10-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Pipo is more of a wing player compared to Sam. His basketball skills is also advanced than average 3 that you see in current UAAP teams. See this guy in your own eyes to judge his bodyframe and strength. ;D Maswerte lang kami at kahit papano kaya syang depensahan ng Magic Singh namin.

Dark pagsabihan mo si Pipo wag i-wawalsham hug si Andi next year. Baka-mapisa. ;D

Pero balik ako dun sa topic, in terms of manpower sobrang lamang ang FEU.

Dark Knight
10-07-2007, 05:23 PM

Dark pagsabihan mo si Pipo wag i-wawalsham hug si Andi next year. Baka-mapisa.* ;D

Makakarating sir mighty_lion ;D

Schortsanitis
10-07-2007, 08:17 PM
As far as I know, Noondoo will not see action for the Tamaraws until 2009 when he has finally finished spending his residency.

Just curious: How come Noondoo needs 2 years to establish residency before he can play in the UAAP?

erichubert
10-08-2007, 03:29 PM
The rule is really 2 years of residency for players who played High School ball abroad. I think Kave came earlier than Pipo that is why he will be eligible by season 71.
I think it would be DLSU, UST, FEU, ADMU and UE in that order next year, and I think DLSU would be favorites to win again, they would lose some players but with the system and Franz around, they should still be there. FEU is still too inexperienced and too young to win it all while Ateneo might not be able to get their rookies to gel with the veterans right away. It would be a toss up between DLSU and UST in my opinion.

tamarawz_14
10-08-2007, 08:33 PM
i think Jonas Paguia will play for FEU next year.

aircanda
10-08-2007, 09:04 PM

magaling ba si Jonas Paguia?ano laro nia?

irateluvmachine
10-12-2007, 01:34 AM
^6'5 center ata.

if the FEU imports are any good, they should be the team to beat...

aside from david webb, sino ba yung mga potential rookies ng la salle for season 71? what about UE? madaming mawawala sa kanila...

sa_pula
10-27-2007, 08:34 PM
hihina UE next season.The team will surely miss the services of borboran,canizares,fampulme and gregorio.i think espiritu has 2 more years same as martinez..last chance na ni marcy magpakitang giLas kasi except for his rookie season WALA na.dont know much about the recruitment pero sana si duran at acibar anjan pa at SANA naman si paul zamar paglaruin na!..

batangueño
11-19-2007, 07:31 PM
Given the kind of situation its basketball program is into nowadays, I honestly think that the UP Maroons will again end up at the bottom of the team standings on the season when the centennial birthday celebrator takes over the chores of being host of the UAAP tournaments. ::)

Teams to watch out for in Season 71: DLSU, FEU, Ateneo, UST and UE

LION
11-20-2007, 04:57 PM

magaling ba si Jonas Paguia?ano laro nia?

Had a small chat with Glenn Capacio last Saturday during the UV vs. Lyceum game. He said that Jonas has not been seen in Morayta and he is not even part of the FEU Team B.

Nasaan na nga ba si Paguia.

batangueño
11-22-2007, 12:37 AM
Had a small chat with Glenn Capacio last Saturday during the UV vs. Lyceum game.* He said that Jonas has not been seen in Morayta and he is not even part of the FEU Team B.

Nasaan na nga ba si Paguia.

Hmmm... Pa-mystery effect pala itong si Paguia, ah? Saan kaya siya pumunta, sa Mendiola ba o sa Diliman? :o ;D

mighty_lion
11-22-2007, 11:42 PM
^ Wala sya sa San Beda Imho. Except na lang kung CEU or La Consolacion and tinutukoy mo. ;)

yellow_we
11-23-2007, 12:00 PM
My Rankings for next season:

1. DLSU - they wanted to get a back to back title for sure. Defending champs are always a tough contender.. This team still has more bullets in their guns though the likes of veterans Cholo and Ty will be out of the team by next season after serving their 5 years of eligibility in the league. Watch out for exciting rookie, Joshua Webb from homegrown - LSGH next year!

2. UST - failed to get their back to back championship yet hungry as ever. This team has already proved their excellence in UAAP Basketball having 18 titles under their belt. The last as you know was in 2006 season when they have beaten for the very first time in the finals - the Ateneo Blue Eagles. The team will still be bannered by 2007 MVP - Jervy Cruz, sophomore slasher Kazim Mirza, vastly improved Mark Canlas, ever reliable Dylan Ababou and the quick Japs Cuan.

3. UE - the mission for the next season for this team will be Vengeance. After the Archers stole two straight games in the recent finals from them, for sure the Warriors will be at its best form again with almost the same roster on its line up. This team has definitely gained the respect of all the teams after achieving that rare 14-0 sweep in the eliminations round.

4. ADMU - struggling for already five straight years, expect this team to outdo their performance last season. Ended at #3, the team will still be lead by Barracoso, Jai Reyes, Al-Hussaini, Baclao and Eric Salamat minus Ford Arao. Rumors state though that mythical selection guard, Chris Tiu may or may not be playing for season 71. Also reported was that former San Sebastian Junior standout and NCAA 2007 Juniors MVP, Ryan Buenafe is set to be the newest addition in the Eagles' line up.

More of my thoughts:

1. FEU - loaded of formidable sophomores, indeed makes them a team to watch as well for next season.
2. UP - no confirmation yet as to who will lead this team. I strongly agree, this team needs a new coach and a new system.
3. UP Pep Squad vs. UST Salinggawi - Either UP gets their back 2 back title or UST will spoil their spot again. Very Interesting!!!!

.. I can't wait for Season 71!

batangueño
11-23-2007, 01:33 PM
^ Wala sya sa San Beda Imho. Except na lang kung CEU or La Consolacion and tinutukoy mo. ;)

Salamat mighty_lion. Akala ko napadaan siya sa Mendiola eh. Hindi daw kasi sumakay ng FX papuntang Philcoa kaya inisip ko na baka sumakay na lang ng jeep na biyaheng Gastambide-Mendiola. ;D

Pwede din siguro na itinatago si Paguia ni Señor Anton katulad ng pagtatago niya kay Cawaling. Ewan din natin. ;)

GHRanger
11-23-2007, 01:46 PM
^^ Just a correction. Joshua Webb is from DLS-Zobel.

yellow_we
11-23-2007, 04:24 PM
If that is true then I stand corrected. I am not a La Sallite, all I thought their juniors in UAAP are from LSGH. Thanks for the info. :)

addikt
12-06-2007, 11:16 PM
My forecast for next season...It will be
End of eliminations
1)DLSU - They're the champs, and they're still intact next year. They'll finish first by the end of eliminations.
2)ADMU - They are always a championship contender year in year out. With highly touted rookies seemingly going their way, They will still be in the thick of the hunt for the crown. they will finish 2nd.
3)FEU - were a bunch of young inexperienced rookies last year, and they still gave the defending champs a hell of a fight for the last final four slot. I think they'll finish 3rd at the end of the eliminations
4)UST - They have this year's MVP, Ababou is starting to play superstar caliber basketball, the explosive Mirza will keep on improving, their core is still intact, and Japs is now making 3 pointers and freethrows. They are a very dangerous team, especially in the final four. However, they usually peak during the playoffs, so expect them not to win that much during the eliminations. It is more or less 4th for them.
5)UE - Nope, they won't repeat that 14-0 sweep this year.. with most of thier key players graduating (or not being eligible for next year?). Still they very capable of getting in the final four.
6)UP - There is nothing to go but up. The same with UE not repeating the sweep this year.
7)NU - I think Asoro would still be playing, but other key players like Fernandez and Lingao-lingao will not be playing in season 71. Again this is what I know.
8)AdU - I don't even know who will be their main man for season 71. I think Hugnatan and Cabahug will not be playing next year.

please just correct me if there is something wrong with the info in my forecast. :)

addikt
12-07-2007, 01:02 AM
Teka mali pala un ginawa kong standings after eliminations...dapat 7th ang UP tapos 6th ang NU...kasi nga pala may gulong nangyayari sa sistema ng UP. Sayang yung players...sayang yun potential recruits..

Tingin ko UST-ADMU ulet ang finals ng season 71...
sana UST na ulet magchamp..

Go USTe!

addikt
12-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Hope NU gets two players that could complement Asoro..siguro shooter na dos that plays calm and collected just like tiu, saka siguro rebounder kahit hindi major scorer. Nakakaawa kasi..he really plays hard each game pero wala laging close games..Last year pang final four yun roster nila with Lingao-lingao, Fernandez,Jahnke and Aguilar. Breaks of the game lang talaga.

I like how the bulldogs play.. and i like their mentality..

kahit wala masyado support...tuloy parin...

can't blame the school...medyo hirap din sila eh...

buti nalang nakakakuha na sila ng sponsors....

Sana this year mgkaron sila ng magandang run...kahit hanggang final four lang..

mighty_lion
12-12-2007, 09:59 AM
In RL Den, I posted about this UE #17 guy in current UE FMC Open Team. I gathered from one UE-hardcore that his name is Acuna. Last Saturday was a hell yah boy game for him. He basically outplayed the SBC-B frontcourt tandem of Udo and Jake Pascual. He can shoot three and mid-range jumpers when left open, penetrate the shaded lane and finish the ball to the basket. Save for 2 block shots from Udo but Acuna had the better game out of it. Inside-outside ang laro. Decent defender. On that game, sya ang naging go to guy ng UE despite having the likes of Paul Lee, Thiele, Martinez and Elmer Espiritu in that UE line-up. There were instances where SBC would go for a scoring run and Coach Dindo would cut Acuna's rest in the bench just to reinforce playing line-up and he was such an effective saving grace for UE's offense. I think he will be a good post player for UE in the coming years especially that Borboran will no longer be with the team starting next year.

He is definetly a must see player next season. Good luck to him.

Schortsanitis
12-12-2007, 11:59 AM
Anybody knows where Acuna comes from? Heck, the fact that he played a good game against Udo should indicate that he really is a promising player for the UE Warriors.

nash_bedista
12-12-2007, 01:43 PM
6-3 , 6-4 wingman Larry Fonacier type player. Can Shoot Ice Cold 3pt Shot. Tsk Tsk. Last Season nasa lineup siya pero hindi nabigyan ng pagkakataon.

Nasa Line up rin sila (notable H.S player)

Duran - Ue Pages

Acibar - Adamson Baby Falcon

Tagarda - Letran Squires

LION
12-12-2007, 05:47 PM
Mahihirapan si Tagarda. Plays off-guard but he has no exceptional skills. The only way he can be competitive in college is if for him to develop a long range shot and work on his dribble penetration moves.

But with guys like Paul Lee and Martinez in the lineup, swerte na si Tagarda na mapasama sa lineup kahit di siya masyadong magamit.

Agree with the assessment on Acuna. May ibubuga ang batang ito.

voltaire_mad
12-13-2007, 03:12 AM
My best estimates for season 71 as at least after the elimination round. The seimi-finals is an all too different atmosphere to make any predictions.

1. DLSU - they are not the defending champs for nothing. Almost intact line up, though graduation ot Tang would be a heavy toll.
2. ADMU- also intact line-up. Though we need to watch out if the team jell's together in time for the start of the season.
3. UST- fairly intact team. JC-JC combination of Jervy Cruz and Japs Cuan a big plus, with the ample support of Ababou, Canlas, Mirza.
4-5. FEU - very very dangerous team indeed. Lots of potential. Still awaiting the new recruit to jell with the rest of the team though.
4-5. UE - lots of graduation. Last year was the best year for them to win the crown, and yet...
6. NU - This is the heartbreak team for me. Lots and lots of potential, under harnessed. Poor facilities to improve training and alumni support. I wish the best for this team.
7-8. Adamson - may contend with UP in sweeping the bottom of the standings, again.
7-8. UP - with the departure of Coach Lipa, system is in turmoil I believe. Start from scratch, again.

sa_pula
12-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Anybody knows where Acuna comes from?* Heck, the fact that he played a good game against Udo should indicate that he really is a promising player for the UE Warriors.

taga ilagan isabela yang si acuna kababayan ni menor at taganas.Yung tatay nya ka team mate ng kuya ko dati sa mga liga liga sa province mataas din around 6'2-6'4.Sabi ng kuya ko nong papasok sa college yang si acuna Ue at San Beda ang nagrrecruit sa kanya.

Schortsanitis
12-17-2007, 02:00 PM
taga ilagan isabela yang si acuna kababayan ni menor at taganas.Yung tatay nya ka team mate ng kuya ko dati sa mga liga liga sa province mataas din around 6'2-6'4.Sabi ng kuya ko nong papasok sa college yang si acuna Ue at San Beda ang nagrrecruit sa kanya.

Thanks for the info. After Menor, Acuna is possibly another impact player in college from the Isabela province.

bchoter
12-17-2007, 06:04 PM
Menor is actually from Roxas, Isabela. Yes, Acuna is from Ilagan, same twon were Don Yabut comes from.

sa_pula
12-19-2007, 12:31 AM
si claiford arao from isabela province din yata (?)..

AnthonyServinio
12-19-2007, 12:36 AM
si claiford arao* from isabela province din yata (?)..

Ford Arao is from Pangasinan.

sa_pula
12-19-2007, 12:04 PM
si claiford arao from isabela province din yata (?)..

Ford Arao is from Pangasinan.

ah ok!thanks for the info.Madami kasing arao sa isabela eh.

bchoter
12-19-2007, 12:32 PM
My ranking:

1. DLSU - their vaunted trap is the great equalizer. And they still have an intact lineup that just won the crown. An intact lineup that complement each other. Mangahas will create match up problems when he gains consistency and confidence while Casio will be the stabilizing factor and their big time player.
2. ADMU - they're still the best coached team (not because they have the most number of coaches :D) in the league. With an intact lineup that came close to barging to the finals there's no way but up for the Eagles.
3. FEU - retaining the core that came this close to the final four, they should benefit from one more off season of honing and getting together and top-notch reinforcement the Final 4 should be a cinch for them.
4/5. UE - like DLSU, their defense will always keep them in the game. But unlike La Salle, they have too many core players leaving. Marcy is still not a big-time player but Paul Lee may just offset this and be their lead player for them.
5/4... 1/8... 2/7... 3/6. UST - Mr. MVP and the best passing PG will always make them contenders. But they haven't achieved any semblance of consistency since the Denis Espino era. They tend to play to their opponents level and rely too much on individual plays. Recipe for greatness or disaster. Their coach can be their biggest asset... or their biggest liability. They can go all the way to the top or keep the cellar-dwellers company