PDA

View Full Version : JR Cawaling is 2007 UAAP Rookie of the Year

batangueño
10-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Congratulations to JR Cawaling of the FEU Tamaraws, 2007 UAAP Rookie of the Year. :)

Dark Knight
10-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Although i have doubts about Cawalings consistency, he is still the best choice for ROY. I hope he becomes more assertive next season.

Sam Miguel
04-07-2008, 09:35 PM
How Cawaling developed over the off-season will be key to how he performs in his sophomore season in the UAAP. Now that he will no longer sneak up on anybody and defenses will be more keyed in on him, he needs to add new wrinkles to his game. One of the things he should work on would be a consistent middle game: driving within 13, 14 feet then pull up and take the jumper. If he can do it as well as Bon Custodio and RJ Rizada used to he'll be tough to stop since no one teaches how to defend a middle jumper coming off a burst-of-speed drive anymore.

The so-called sophomore jinx might bite him in the ass so he'd better find ways to improve. And hopefully he's also hitting the irons more often so that he can put some meat on that rail of a body.

marmand
04-07-2008, 09:45 PM
He would be the best player ( or 2nd best ) of the Tams next year. Book it! When i coached him years ago, I saw a very skilled player. He is a thinking player who loves the driving game. I remember telling him that if he develops a consistent jump shot then he would be very dangerous. His shot then was flat, not arch to it. But he had a somewhat text book form on his jumper. Expect him to bulk up and to establish a post move.

Joescoundrel
04-08-2008, 12:02 AM
How Cawaling developed over the off-season will be key to how he performs in his sophomore season in the UAAP. Now that he will no longer sneak up on anybody and defenses will be more keyed in on him, he needs to add new wrinkles to his game. One of the things he should work on would be a consistent middle game: driving within 13, 14 feet then pull up and take the jumper. If he can do it as well as Bon Custodio and RJ Rizada used to he'll be tough to stop since no one teaches how to defend a middle jumper coming off a burst-of-speed drive anymore.

The so-called sophomore jinx might bite him in the ass so he'd better find ways to improve. And hopefully he's also hitting the irons more often so that he can put some meat on that rail of a body.

As an athlete there is no doubt about it, Cawaling ranks right up there. However therein lies his real challenge: he needs to grow up from being more athlete than baller to more baller than athlete. He is so gifted athletically that I notice there are many times when he counts on his athletic gifts more than he should. This is especially true when he attempts to drive. He seems to not have a counter-move the minute he decides to take it to the rack. This is how he got defended last season. Come the second round last season defenses figured out he made 90% of his production on his strong side, so they showed him the weak side and dared him to beat them. He still tried to outrace and out-quick primary defenders and jump over help defenders, but that didn't help him much when he was forced weak side where he also betrayed his utter one-handedness and poor situational awareness.

Developing that middle game Sam talked about will do wonders for his overall game. He may also want to work on his off-hand. Since he seems to be most effective playing the perimeter he should make both hands work for him in handling, passing, scoring and more so on defense. He may want to experiment with what we call the "broken at the elbow" stance on defending the passing lanes. With his reflexes and long limbs that style will work wonders for him as a defender.

Dark Knight
08-14-2008, 11:56 PM
Thread locked. Thanks for the replies.