PDA

View Full Version : The 2007-08 NBA Season

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

BigBlue
10-03-2007, 02:34 PM
What are we to expect for this year? Will Boston finally return to the upper echelon of the Eastern Conference? Will Grant Hill's career be resurrected with the Suns? Will Rashard Lewis live up to his max-contract? Will Kobe be traded? With Oden out for the season, how far will Portland go with a lineup led by Roy and Aldrige? Is Kevin Durant the real thing? I can go on and on. There are so many questions out there, but we'll get our answers soon enough!

now, here's something for gameface folks: can anyone guess who this is?

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20071002/capt.c5989b763fb94e3fb754351be60659ff.supersonics_ durant_basketball_waet112.jpg

joelex
10-03-2007, 03:49 PM
most intriguing of all teams is of course the revamped celtic squad. From a bunch of late 1st round busts to having 3 legit all stars. KG-pierce-allen makes the KG-spree-CASSEL trio look ordinary. But theres the support question. absolutely unheard of guys, notably only big baby glen davis, then youve got sophomore rajan rondo, streak shooter eddie house. playoff vet big man pollard and defense specialits posey are reliables. This team is a lock for at least a top 3 spot in the east, and if the big 3 can somehow overcome their lack of production from their support crew, which means career years for all 3, then this team are serious contenders for the crown.

cleveland, detroit and chicago along with the celts will again battle for east supremacy.

out west, denver and houston seem to have the most promise for this season. Denver, for one, will start the season with a full healthy roster, and that includes one Kenyon Martin. We have yet to see melo-ai mesh well together, and kmart is said to be excited to play with AI. A low key signing is chucky atkins, and his playoff experience + 3pt shooting will help them tremendously.

As for the rockets, the franchise is back where he truly belongs, and his tandem with yao and tmac looks good. Their signing of Luis Scola is a sleeper; look for him to immediately help this team get over the hump, ala Ginobili.

mighty_lion
10-03-2007, 05:51 PM
^^ Yong sa picture ba ang bagong star sa Prison Break Season 3?* ;D

After all those offseason moves I feel there would be a lot of ups and downs that will happen. Suns, Boston, Chicago, Orlando, Houston and all others did key moves in the offseason but thats just it. They still have to prove something more than that and San Antonio is the team to beat among all pagdating ng playoff.

Maka-Phoenix ako kaso with Marion currently asking for a trade, mukhang magkakahiwalay na talaga ang Big Three ng Phoenix.* :'(

BigBlue
10-03-2007, 06:18 PM
kung matuloy yung marion for kirilenko trade, i'd be very happy with that :D

joelex
10-03-2007, 06:35 PM
IMO, Marion is just as if not more important than stoudemire in that suns team. The guy has no off nights in his D and hustle. Bonus na lang minsan 30pts pa siya. big loss if he will manage to get a trade.

cub
10-03-2007, 07:23 PM
What are we to expect for this year? Will Boston finally return to the upper echelon of the Eastern Conference? Will Grant Hill's career be resurrected with the Suns? Will Rashard Lewis live up to his max-contract? Will Kobe be traded? With Oden out for the season, how far will Portland go with a lineup led by Roy and Aldrige? Is Kevin Durant the real thing? I can go on and on. There are so many questions out there, but we'll get our answers soon enough!

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20071002/capt.c5989b763fb94e3fb754351be60659ff.supersonics_ durant_basketball_waet112.jpg

he's Robert Swift. was not able to play last NBA season due to an ACL injury.

BigBlue
10-03-2007, 07:33 PM
yep, you got it cub. now, compare that picture of his to this:

http://www.nba.com/media/act_robert_swift.jpg

what happened?? epekto ba ng ACL yan?

dark_seid
10-03-2007, 08:55 PM

hmmmm ... addict na nga ako sa nba ... kilala ko yun nasa pic kahit he suck in his rookie year and was out last year with that acl injury. same guy that bob hill said was crucial to the team as their starting center and the reason behind their woeful season.

As for the rockets, the franchise is back where he truly belongs, and his tandem with yao and tmac looks good. Their signing of Luis Scola is a sleeper; look for him to immediately help this team get over the hump, ala Ginobili.

this is not sure. there has to be a legit reason that the spurs never brought him over. this is aside from tim duncan playing the same position (while fab oberto was able to transition to the center slot). i read things from yahoo and espn (not the rumor threads) that he is undersized and he was not effective in the finals of the european leagues when he had to face big guys (the kind he will be facing the nba).

altho lining up beside yao obviously will help him a lot.

cub
10-03-2007, 10:37 PM
im a huge nba fan too. i root for the phoenix suns. the suns are a big man away from being the champions last sesason. i think, this will be the season (07-08)for them. parang UE, it's now or never. i believe aalis na si Marion next summer. Grant Hill is somehow a great addition to the team. he brings defensive toughness and experience. Brian Skinner too. he plays like Kurt Thomas and can intimidate the opponents by his looooooooong beard. ;D

the rockets would be the dark horse this season. they have a new coach in Rick Adelman and new players like Mike James and Steve Francis. but, Yao, Mutombo and Hayes needs help in the frontline. they need to sign Haslem or Varejao to help their bigs.

joelex
10-04-2007, 01:05 AM
actually if not for the silly suspensions stern meted on the suns amare and diaw, the suns wouldve won the crown last season. They had the spurs number and were on track to avenge their loss to san antonio in the previous season's WCF. Stoudemire + diaw is much much > than horry and what horry did to nash and the suspensions that were given ultimately destroyed phoenix's chances.

dark_seid
10-04-2007, 12:40 PM
what i am giddy about is the 3 guys in boston. kg can finally become the greatest 2nd banana of all-time. he can wreak havoc and destroy the opponents for 45 minutes. then come crunch time, he can let pierce and allen take and make the clutch baskets for him. also, he can now really play the high post without being maligned. this is because they can put pierce on the low block and ask him to deliver damage inside.

and if you've noticed, everything i described was on the offensive end. because i have no idea how boston is gonna defend this season. they're a donut team (sorry perkins, but you're really small for the real bigs out west).

erichubert
10-04-2007, 05:05 PM
Joelex, while I agree that the suspensions were silly, I don't think anyone can be sure that Phoenix would have won had Amare and Diaw played in Game 6. That's all speculative and I think it would remain that way forever. Honestly, I think San Antonio would have still won but that's just me. This season Phoenix' chances aren't much better than last year, you have Amare coming off surgery albeit a slight one, Marion asking to be traded, Kurt Thomas the only front court presence being traded, Nash getting one year older and only Grant Hill added to the roster.

Houston is really scary, as long as they get the pieces to mash and gel quickly, they should contend, if they don't get out of the first round, baka may balat na talaga sa pwet si T-Mac ;D

Fearless projection: Lakers vs Knicks in the finals, just kidding, Spurs vs Celtics in the finals :)

CM_Punk
10-04-2007, 09:08 PM
With Greg Oden out for the season, I expect Kevin Durant to run away with the ROY, and might even make a case in going to the all-star game. I watched the team USA practice game a few months ago on BTV, and he was one of the best players out on the court, scoring at will against those experienced NBA stars.

Portland will improve even without Oden (Aldrige, Roy, etc. are a a good core), but I expect them to still finish out of the playoffs in the tough Western conference.

mighty_lion
10-04-2007, 09:27 PM
With Greg Oden out for the season, I expect Kevin Durant to run away with the ROY, and might even make a case in going to the all-star game. I watched the team USA practice game a few months ago on BTV, and he was one of the best players out on the court, scoring at will against those experienced NBA stars.

Portland will improve even without Oden (Aldrige, Roy, etc. are a a good core), but I expect them to still finish out of the playoffs in the tough Western conference.

Portland will suck again in the eliminations and win the 2008 draft lotto. Derric Rose/OJ Mayo prize baby. Kumpleto na sila after that. Me PG kana, SG in Roy, C in Oden, PF in Aldrige) ;D

irateluvmachine
10-05-2007, 04:08 AM
wtf happened to robert swift?!?!? :D all those tattoos in one year away from action...looks like the guy really had a lot of free time on his hands.

i'm excited to see how the celtics perform with kg and ray allen joining paul pierce...but who are they parading at the center and PG positions? rajon rondo is a good defender, but can't shoot if his life depended on it. at center, a platoon of kendrick perkins and glen "big baby" davis isn't going to cut it...they're both too short and too raw to make an impact.

as for portland, at least they're continuing to shed the "jailblazers" tag...a starting lineup with steve francis, brandon roy and lamarcus aldridge should guarantee at least some improvement, though not as much than if oden didn't get injured. mukhang malas talaga ang blazers pagdating sa franchise big men...bill walton, sam bowie, arguably mychal thompson inbetween those two, and now greg oden.

mighty_lion
10-05-2007, 09:29 AM
as for portland, at least they're continuing to shed the "jailblazers" tag...a starting lineup with steve francis, brandon roy and lamarcus aldridge should guarantee at least some improvement, though not as much than if oden didn't get injured.* *mukhang malas talaga ang blazers pagdating sa franchise big men...bill walton, sam bowie, arguably mychal thompson inbetween those two, and now greg oden.

Hindi ba Houston si Steve Francis?

CM_Punk
10-05-2007, 09:31 AM
as for portland, at least they're continuing to shed the "jailblazers" tag...a starting lineup with steve francis, brandon roy and lamarcus aldridge should guarantee at least some improvement, though not as much than if oden didn't get injured.

Stev Francis was cut loose, and he signed with Houston as a free agent. I don't know how that will work, as they already have Mike James and Rafer Alston around. Those guards should remember that T-Mac and Yao are the stars on the Rockets, and not take it upon themselves to score all their points.

irateluvmachine
10-05-2007, 06:40 PM
^oo nga pala 'no...thanks for clearing that up. ;D

CM_Punk
10-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Basketball TV will be showing some of the NBA teams who are starting their pre-season in Europe tomorrow. I think they'll be showing the Raptors-Celtics game, and a Minnesota game as well.

john_paul_manahan
10-07-2007, 08:42 PM
Minnesota will be facing Efes Pilsen, a Turkish team.

They have been holding their training camp in Istanbul.

CM_Punk
10-07-2007, 11:09 PM
Watched the Celtics-Raptors game on Basketball TV. Game was very competitive, as for most of the 3 quarters, the regular rotation of players saw action.

Boston's big three is gonna be scary this year. Ray Allen is still recovering from off-season surgery so he was rusty, but Pierce and KG were playing great. They will be contenders this year in the East. However, if Rondo (their starting PG) goes down to injury or struggles for certain stretches of the season, and they don't get a veteran presence to play the point, then they'll be in trouble in the playoffs. Still, gotta give props to the Celtics for improving their team by getting 2 all-stars to play with Pierce.

As for the Raptors, they sure have a lot of white guys on the team* ;D. Deadly shooters from last year, and they added Kapono and Delfino for more weapons. But, other than Nesterovic and Bosh, they have no decent post presence, who will play defense close to the basket. Still, they are an exciting team to watch on offense.

dark_seid
10-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Boston's big three is gonna be scary this year. Ray Allen is still recovering from off-season surgery so he was rusty, but Pierce and KG were playing great. They will be contenders this year in the East. However, if Rondo (their starting PG) goes down to injury or struggles for certain stretches of the season, and they don't get a veteran presence to play the point, then they'll be in trouble in the playoffs. Still, gotta give props to the Celtics for improving their team by getting 2 all-stars to play with Pierce.

there are some reports out of boston that allen has volunteered to play the 1 if a special need arises. another concern that must be at the back of everyone's mind is ... can doc rivers really coach? he's body of work has not been impressive.

mighty_lion
10-08-2007, 01:04 PM
As for the Raptors, they sure have a lot of white guys on the team* ;D. Deadly shooters from last year, and they added Kapono and Delfino for more weapons. But, other than Nesterovic and Bosh, they have no decent post presence, who will play defense close to the basket. Still, they are an exciting team to watch on offense.

Raptors is going to be the best zone buster in the NBA this season. Forget those double teams against Bosh or anyone else because it would open up Raptors shooters este halos lahat pala sila shooter. Interestingly, Colangelo is bringing a new breed of basketball team in the NBA. Just like when he formed the unorthodoxed Phoenix style of basketball. He is indeed a genious. Anyway, Raptors have yet to prove something come playoff. Lets watch-out.

As to Boston, they can let Pierce do some playmaking. Besides he's more effective on offense when he is the one handling the the ball.

john_paul_manahan
10-10-2007, 02:02 PM
Toronto is the closest thing to Euroball in the NBA.

hmmm... Ray Allen and Pierce can play emergency point.

*calling gary payton....* *calling gary payton...*

mighty_lion
10-10-2007, 05:46 PM
*calling gary payton....* *calling gary payton...*

Ang gusto yata ng Boston yong mga hayok sa championship ring. Si Payton, me championship ring na. ;D

CM_Punk
10-13-2007, 07:53 PM
Kobe Bryant is no longer untouchable, as the LA Lakers admitted that they are willing to listen to trade offers for their superstar player. I doubt he'll be sent to another Western team, so LA will most likely do what they did to Shaq and send him East. Hmmm, where can Kobe go? Chicago? New York?* ???

yokam
10-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Kobe Bryant now seems to be in KG's shoes with Minnesota, their interests doesn't match those of the management. If the Lakers will decide to let Bryant go, then it would be a really big loss for them. Kobe is still in his prime and could still get better and deadlier. If the Lakers will add more able and reliable support for Kobe, then the Lakers will be back to their legitimate title contender status. They no longer need any star players, they need solid contributors and role players to help Kobe.

Rumored deals about the Lakers:

from Indiana: Jermaine O'Neal
from New Jersey: Jason Kidd

Jermaine O'Neal is a solid rebounder and shot blocker and an intimidating force inside the paint. Definitely his presence will take much of the load from Kobe Bryant. As for Jason Kidd, we all know what he can do, he can turn the Lakers franchise around. He's one guy who gets better with age and makes everybody around him better. Kidd and Kobe have played alongside each other during the FIBA Americas and both have expressed their interest of playing with each other in the same team in the NBA. Too bad the Lakers let it slip.

For now, chances are, Kobe might once again get disappointed at the end of the season (another first round defeat against Phoenix perhaps? Heartbreak number 3 for Kobe?) no unless the Lakers makes a major move of sending key players to the Lakers camp. Fisher is not enough, Bynum is still too raw while Kwame Brown has not shown signs of brilliance (maybe he'll just end up this way all through out his career). The Lakers are virtually in the same line-up they had last season plus Derek Fisher and some of the rookies.

But I really do hope Isiah Thomas and the New York Knicks will get over their off court scandals and pull their acts together. They should bring the pride back to the Big Apple city. Stephon Marbury, Jamal Crawford, Quentin Richardson, Zach Randolph, Eddy Curry, David Lee.. the Knicks really look good on paper, hope they bring it to the court.

gameface_one
10-16-2007, 06:49 PM
Cavaliers, Magic lead NBA drive into China

Agence France-Presse

SHANGHAI - The NBA's drive into China moves up a gear this week as the Cleveland Cavaliers and Orlando Magic give fans in Shanghai and Macau a close-up look at the world's best basketball league.

Basketball is hugely popular in China, where an estimated 300 million people play the sport, with Chinese stars such as the Houston Rockets' Yao Ming and Milwaukee Bucks' Yi Jianlian fuelling interest.

Such enthusiasm offers the chance of big bucks for the NBA, through advertising revenue, merchandise sales and television rights.

"China is the number one market for the NBA outside the US," said Matt Bourne, NBA spokesman told AFP ahead of the pre-season games in Shanghai, China's most modern city, and the glitzy gambling hub of Macau.

"We hope the NBA China Games 2007 will give our great fans in China an opportunity to experience the NBA up close and personal."

In recognition of the growing interest, organizers last month set up NBA China, a subsidiary that hopes to move towards an eventual NBA-managed Chinese domestic league.

The Chinese national league is already a major television draw, and the NBA wants to link up with the China Basketball Association (CBA) to further boost fans' love of the US game.

"In the United States the development of basketball has already reached a certain saturation point," Li Yuanwei, chief of the CBA told the Basketball Pioneers, the sport's foremost newspaper in China.

"China is huge and it's a unified market so that's why China has the chance to follow after Europe and develop the world's only newly flourishing professional basketball market."

With Yao selected as the first overall pick of the 2002 NBA Draft, the league has already drawn so much interest that 51 Chinese television networks carry NBA games and a weekly basketball show.

Milwaukee Bucks' Yi, drafted in the first round this year, is expected to further boost its China fan base as he begins his season there.

"There is a lot of anticipation surrounding Yi's NBA debut both in the US and China," said the NBA's Bourne.

While the NBA boasts lucrative advertising partnerships in China with 20 major global brands, it also brings the sport to aspiring young athletes by holding regular basketball training camps throughout country.

Ahead of the China pre-season matches, massive posters of Orlando's Dwight Howard and Cleveland's LeBron James have been hung at the entrance of the hotel in Shanghai where the teams are staying.

James's Cavaliers, who made it to the NBA Finals this year, will face Howard's Magic on Wednesday in Shanghai before travelling to Macau for another match on Saturday.

This year's fixtures will be the third time that the NBA has played pre-season games in China, the first being three years ago when Yao's Rockets met the Sacramento Kings in Shanghai and Beijing.

The Magic will also face the Chinese national team in Macau on Thursday making them only the second NBA team to face China since the Washington Bullets played in 1979 in the league's first Chinese foray.

gameface_one
10-18-2007, 09:08 AM
NBA in talks with China to establish league

Agence France Presse

SHANGHAI - NBA commissioner David Stern said Wednesday he is in talks with sporting authorities in China to establish a world-class basketball league.

Stern said a key goal of his visit to China this week was to increase cooperation with China's basketball league, the CBA, "to really form the second NBA, the NBA of China."

Last month, the NBA announced the establishment of NBA China to be headed by the outgoing boss of Microsoft's China operations, Tim Chen, in what was seen as the first step toward an eventual NBA-managed Chinese domestic league.

Speaking at a press conference Wednesday in the nation's financial hub of Shanghai ahead of a pre-season match between the Orlando Magic and the Cleveland Cavaliers, Stern stressed that the proposal for a league was still in its infancy.

"This is a long-term project where the discussions have just begun and would of course involve the securing of significant financing from capital sources to finance substantial arena development throughout China," he said.

He added that the NBA and China Sports Ministry were discussing how to build more courts in the world's most populous nation to boost the appeal of the sport, which in China is second only to football in popularity.

Increasing cooperation with the national team was also being discussed, he said.

The NBA sees China as a potential gold mine, with an estimated 300 million playing the sport and Chinese stars such as the Houston Rockets' Yao Ming and Milwaukee Bucks' Yi Jianlian fuelling interest.

The NBA, which boasts lucrative advertising partnerships in China with 20 major global brands, also brings the sport to aspiring young athletes by holding regular basketball training camps throughout the country.

This year's three pre-season fixtures in China, two of them in the gambling mecca of Macau later this week, makes it the third time that the NBA has played games in China.

The first were three years ago when Yao's Rockets met the Sacramento Kings in Shanghai and Beijing.

mighty_lion
10-21-2007, 07:55 PM
Lapit na opening.

OT:
I just want to share this one. LOL! ;D ;D ;D

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/10/19/randomyoutube-magic-how-not-to-interview-sam-cassell/

mighty_lion
10-30-2007, 09:12 AM
Malayo pa ang playoff but I feel this season will end in the hands of Miami Heat. Rick Davis is a great pick-up for them. Parang Posey&Kapono in one. I just hope magseryoso si Shaq the whole season. And injury free D-Wade sana boung season.

Okey. I think a better question is ano na naman kayang kamalasan ang darating sa Phoenix Suns ko? ;D

CM_Punk
10-30-2007, 01:05 PM
Watched some parts of the Bucks-Bulls game shown last week. He's still raw, but Yi Jianlian definitely has the potential to be a good starter in this league.

Yi needs to bulk up if he wants to play power forward in the NBA, but he does have some good skills already on display. Even if he's really 22 or 23 years old already, he still has time to develop into a nice big man tandem with Andrew Bogut in the East.

tigerman
10-31-2007, 11:25 AM
The defending champs San Antonio Spurs won over the Greg-Oden less Portland Trailblazers 106-97.

The other games on opening night are the Lakers-Rockets and Jazz-Warriors.

Biased sa West ang NBA booohhhh ;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

john_paul_manahan
10-31-2007, 05:16 PM
wanna see kevin durant?

1030am on btv....

mighty_lion
10-31-2007, 05:38 PM
^ Maganda sana yan against Spurs. Back to the days when Bruce Bowen schooled Carmelo and Lebron during thier rookie year.* ;D I have my reservations against Durant compared to the later two. Simply because Durant is more of a perimeter player and loves to settle the issue outside. Hindi masyado nangangatawan at nang-aararo sa loob compred kay Melo and Lebron.

mighty_lion
11-01-2007, 07:45 PM
wanna see kevin durant?

1030am on btv....

Durant is a real deal. His talent, skills and IQ as offensive player is way ahead of his age. He has better repertoire of offensive moves than Melo and Lebron when the both entered the NBA in 2003. The only setback on Durant's game is his strength, skinny frame and defense. He needs to put-up at least 40-50 lbs of muscles in him to match well against average NBA athletes. Para syang malnourished na Tyshaun Prince sa court kanina.* ;D ;D You will feel worried about this guy playing inside the court. Parang mababali yong katawan. Kahit si Glen Davis lang ang dumagan dito sigurado pisa.* ;D

No wonder if this guy will average 20+ points right on his rookie year. The only problem is he would have to take at least 18-20 attempts to reach that score right now. Anyway, this 6'9 guy with 7'4 wingspan is a player to watch in the years to come.

On the other side that Boston-Minny trade got Kevin Garnett to salvation indeed. Norwest division is so talented and too strong for Minny in the next ten years. Imagine sasagupain nila ang Denver (Melo-Iverson-KMartin), Utah (Deron-Boozer-Kirilenko), Portland (Roy-Oden-Aldrige) and Seattle (Durant-Green-Wilcox) just to secure them a good playoff spot.

mighty_lion
11-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Durant:
22 points against Denver
27 points against PHX

Bumubuga ang batang ito. At tuwang tuwa ang BTV na i-cover ang Seattle. ;D ;D

MonL
11-03-2007, 11:42 AM
wanna see kevin durant?

1030am on btv....

Durant is a real deal. His talent, skills and IQ as offensive player is way ahead of his age. He has better repertoire of offensive moves than Melo and Lebron when the both entered the NBA in 2003. The only setback on Durant's game is his strength, skinny frame and defense. He needs to put-up at least 40-50 lbs of muscles in him to match well against average NBA athletes. Para syang malnourished na Tyshaun Prince sa court kanina.* ;D ;D You will feel worried about this guy playing inside the court. Parang mababali yong katawan. Kahit si Glen Davis lang ang dumagan dito sigurado pisa.* ;D

No wonder if this guy will average 20+ points right on his rookie year. The only problem is he would have to take at least 18-20 attempts to reach that score right now. Anyway, this 6'9 guy with 7'4 wingspan is a player to watch in the years to come.

On the other side that Boston-Minny trade got Kevin Garnett to salvation indeed. Norwest division is so talented and too strong for Minny in the next ten years. Imagine sasagupain nila ang Denver (Melo-Iverson-KMartin), Utah (Deron-Boozer-Kirilenko), Portland (Roy-Oden-Aldrige) and Seattle (Durant-Green-Wilcox) just to secure them a good playoff spot.

About putting on weight, I remember one of the late Red Aurebach's anecdotes he shared with then Celtics rookies Delonte West, Tony Allen and Orien Greene about physical conditioning: Too much strength/bulk/weight will adversely affect your game. He cited a conversation with prolific small forward Adrian (A.D.) Dantley, who was playing in the NBA before these three rookies were born. Dantley told Red that he intended to bulk up to 240 lbs. Red told him no, that added weight for his 6'5" height would slow him down. Red suggested that A.D. maintain his weight at around 215. Dantley listened to Red and for much of his NBA career was known as an undersized but quick forward with a lot of low post moves who made much of his living in the paint.

About the New-look Celtics, it seems pretty much like the KC-Jones era again, if the New Big Three's minutes vs. Washington are to be gauged: KG 39, Pierce 38 and Allen 38. We all know what happened to the original Big three: Bird and McHale prematurely ended their careers due to injuries arising from wear and tear from playing long minutes for several seasons, specially after Len Bias died. There was no frontline player good enough to play long enough to keep the Three well rested. Bias could have been the guy. He was so good that he could have been what Michael Jordan would be later on. Walton was walking wounded in his second season with them. Parish would be an abnormality as he would later hold the record for most games played, but his skills faded as he continued on in spot duty with other teams after leaving the Celtics. Artis Gilmore was just old and picking up a paycheck as his best years were behind him. By the time the Original Big Three had lleft, no other Celtic trio came close to duplicating their accomplishments: not Montross, Radja, Xavier McDaniel , Reggie Lewis or anyone else.

mighty_lion
11-03-2007, 12:42 PM
One of the best anti-double team and zone-buster team in the NBA for years....

2007-2008 Toronto Raptors ;D

john_paul_manahan
11-03-2007, 04:15 PM
all 3 games today...

1. toronto is the real deal. international ball at its nba-level. a lot of interchangeable parts. you can plug anybody and they ball.

2. boston will need to rely on the big 3. however, do take note that james posey did not play. i would think that pierce and allen will only play probably around 30-35 minutes. as for kg.. good luck. then again, boston is the center of the sports universe as we speak.

3. lake show seems to be running well amidst the kobe crisis. amare better stay out of foul trouble.

4. yes, the LA Clippers are on top of the Pacific Division. it may be early, but it is good times... :)

mighty_lion
11-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Suns is not yet on thier running form as a team. Mga after 10 games pa lalabas ang totoong laro nyan.

Expect Toronto at least a 50-win team this season. What I have to imagine early on is how Toronto will fare in the Eastern Conference come playoff. Offensively speaking I think they have what it takes but then defensively, I have to say they will live and die with zone defense. I still cant imagine how they are going to match up against the following in the East:
1. Athletic wingmen and inside scorers of Detroit. Dont forget Billups as well
2. Lebron. Lebron will eat Anthony Parker, Jason Kapono, Carlos Delfino, Jorge Garbajosa, Juan Dixon and J Graham all at the same time.
3. Boston Big-Three.

Funniest thing today is knowing that Atlanta won over Dallas. ;D

CM_Punk
11-03-2007, 07:50 PM
Suns is not yet on thier running form as a team. Mga after 10 games pa lalabas ang totoong laro nyan.*

Expect Toronto at least a 50-win team this season. What I have to imagine early on is how Toronto will fare in the Eastern Conference come playoff. Offensively speaking I think they have what it takes but then defensively, I have to say they will live and die with zone defense. I still cant imagine how they are going to match up against the following in the East

As the announcers said, Toronto are the Suns of the East. Almost everybody in their rotation can hit perimeter shots (did you see that buzzer beater of Bosh from the other side of the court, wow!), and are an offensive juggernaut.

But, the Raptors will have difficulty in going far in the East playoffs, especially when defense becomes the name of the game. That's why Phoenix, for all their regular season success, have never gotten to the NBA Finals, because the Spurs and Mavericks have played better D compared to the Suns. Still, that was an awesome game today for Toronto, as they utterly dominated an awful Nets team.

john_paul_manahan
11-04-2007, 01:39 PM
Suns is not yet on thier running form as a team. Mga after 10 games pa lalabas ang totoong laro nyan.

suns are known to start slow...

yokam
11-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Kevin Durant is indeed the real-deal, he just did once again against the Clippers. Durant finished with 24 points, unfortunately, the Sonics lost, 115-101. Not a really good game defensively for the Sonics to allow the Clippers to score 115 points considering that Elton Brand is not with them. Durant finished with 24 points for the Sonics.

Speaking of the Celtics, they, especially the big three proved their worth once again. Ray Allen drained a winning three to give the Celtics a 98-95 overtime win over the erstwhile Atlantic Division champions Toronto Raptors. Allen finished the game with 33 points while Kevin Garnett added 23.

It's still to early to tell. Take note that both Phoenix and Dallas started last season on a very bad note. I think both of them went 0-4 or 0-5 before Dallas went on to win about 16 or 17 straight, as well as Phoenix.

mighty_lion
11-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Bumalik na naman ang sakit ng Phoenix. 8 man rotation. 3 guys with 40+ minutes, 2 guys 35+ minutes. Lagot na naman sila nyan sa playoff paghindi conditioned maglaro ang bench.

yokam
11-05-2007, 03:39 PM
Phoenix is trying to take it one game at a time. Amare Stoudemire didn't suit up in their game against Cleveland. Rookies Alando Tucker and DJ Strawberry has yet to show up. Strawberry played for 5 minutes in their opening night loss to the Lakers and was never fielded in once again. I think what Mike D'Antoni is doing is to let the new comers Grant Hill and Brian Skinner get used to the system first, then once they gel well with the team, then it's the time to put in the rookies. Marcus Banks is starting to get some minutes actually, but will it last, we still don't know.

So midway through the season, the Phoenix Suns will surely work as a team, no matter who D'Antoni puts in the game. As long as there's Steve Nash, the Suns has nothing to worry about.

mighty_lion
11-05-2007, 04:45 PM
In a way tama ka bro. I hope they peak well pagdating ng March next year. Thier frontcourt is still not enough against tough West Frontliners. Reading on how they plan to beat the likes of Spurs, Mavs and Utah babalik sila sa 2004-2005 Phoenix na takbuhan to the max. No way they will be able to beat Spurs, Mavs and Utah on a half-court game specially pag-series na ang labanan. Malaking kawalan din si Ivaroni sa coaching staff. One thing I noticed after 3 games is, alat pa ang outside shooting ng Suns. Si Banks at Nash pa lang ang consistent sa 3pt shooting. Steve Nash deserves a championship ring too after leading the MVP race for the past 3 years. He deserves it more than KG and Company.

bigfreeze_bibby
11-06-2007, 09:11 AM
Same observation with Phoenix too regarding their three point shooting (which is their main weapon). In the two games I've seen them play (versus the Lakers and the Sonics), sala yung mga pukol nila sa labas pero as we have seen in the previous years, dahan-dahan ang progress ng Suns and sana ma-develop yung shooting ni Grant Hill down the road from the trifecta region. Ang dami niyang open shots courtesy of Nash na hindi niya ma-shoot.

I hope the Suns get to win one pero gusto ko din manalo ang Celtics hehe. The only concern there is the bench as the big three gets to log in major minutes as compared to their shallow bench. Di pa masyadong babad niyan si Posey. Sana he could get more minutes pa to help at least Ray Allen or Paul Pierce. Mas gumaan nga lang trabaho ngayon ni KG since he can focus more on rebounding and he'll face less double teams because opposing teams have to watch out for Pierce and Ray Allen from the outside.

I hope T-Mac's preliminary success will continue as well. Naawa ako when he cried in the press conference after being eliminated by the Jazz last year. Obvious na gumanti siya in their last game hehe. Kailangan lang niya alagaan yung recurring sore back niya. I feel Luis Scola will be a big contributor since hilaw na forward ang laro niya and can play both inside and outside. Magandang compliment siya for T-Mac and Yao.

LION
11-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Celtic pride is back!

Dark Knight
11-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Im a Celtics fan since HS, the Larry Bird era, but its still too early to tell. They still have a shallow bench IMO.

mighty_lion
11-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Im a Celtics fan since HS, the Larry Bird era, but its still too early to tell. They still have a shallow bench IMO.

Very True. Outside of their first 5, si James Posey lang ang next reliable scorer ng Boston. Earlier I thought Ray Allen will do ala-Ginobili and now Jason Terry role. Starter minutes but off the bench.

Besides the much bigger question here is not their bench but how Doc Rivers will lead them. I feel that he is nowhere the level of the coaches in the West. Kahit sila Pat Riley at Detroit tagilid sya.

dark_seid
11-06-2007, 08:29 PM
^ doc rivers won coach of the year honors with the celts a few years back. that must count for something.

mighty_lion
11-06-2007, 09:09 PM
^ doc rivers won coach of the year honors with the celts a few years back. that must count for something.

Medyo vague nga yong sinabi ko. I mean Doc Rivers matching up against playoff and finals tested coaches. Last year Sam Mitchel was heralded as the Coach of the Year but come playoff, New Jersey Nets emerged as the better coached team who eventually eliminated Toronto nung first round.

yokam
11-07-2007, 10:48 AM
The Phoenix Suns has probably was able to read some of the comments about them here and responded with a 115-83 blowout over the Charlotte Bobcats. Raja Bell hit 4/9 3-pt shots, Shawn Marion had 2/3, and Marcus Banks had 2/3. Leandro Barbosa and Grant Hill though had a bad shooting night from the outside, combining for a total of 1/8. Overall, the Suns hit 9/24 3-pt shots, not really that bad. But what's really so good about such Suns win is (1) they did it again without Amare Stoudemire, (2) despite scoring a total of 115 points, no one from the Suns scored at most 20 points. Raja Bell, Shawn Marion, and Leandro Barbosa led the Suns with 16 points apiece who drew double digits from 5 more players. Basically, all Suns players who played for more than 10 minutes managed to get over 10 points, and (3) the Suns were very versatile in the game. Boris Diaw, starting at center, led the Suns with 11 assists, while Steve Nash had 7. That's 18 assists from two players already!! Phoenix finished the game with a total of 31 assists.

Discounting Boston who's steered much hype and attention by acquiring key players Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, and James Posey, and starting with a clean undefeated slate so far, I'm setting my eyes on some teams too.

1.) Houston --> Ever since the season started, I could sense that the Rockets are going to have a breakout season (with the condition that Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming stays healthy) even belonging to the West. Houston has made major upgrades in their line-up too, highlighted by acquiring Argentinian star Luis Scola and veteran guards Steve Francis and Mike James. So far, James and Scola has been playing well with the Rockets. If Steve Francis can get back to his usual self, then Houston is going to be one hell of a team. Plus getting over the first round hump would serve as a motivation for T-Mac, Steve Francis, and Yao.

2.) New Orleans --> The Hornets has always been my wildcard team. Blame it on the major absences of Chris Paul and Peja Stojakovic last season, the Hornets should've barged in the the playoffs for the first time since moving to the West. Now with a healthy line-up playing alongside Tyson Chandler who's been producing monster numbers, the Hornets are scary. A good bench of Rasual Butler and Bobby Jackson won't hurt too.

3.) Denver --> Coming off the offseason, for sure Allen Iverson, Carmelo Anthony, and the rest of Nuggets has really prepared something and is ready to bring it on against any other team. Marcus Camby has been playing like a man possessed so far while Iverson and Anthony's chemistry has been getting better and better so far, highlighted by AI's 14 assists in the opening night. Key person is Kenyon Martin who came off an injury. Just like Steve Francis in Houston, if Martin can get over his hump and regain his old self, then the Nuggets will be out their rolling.

4.) Miami --> Ever since winning the NBA title for the first time in it's franchise history, the Miami Heat were going nowhere but down. Dwyane Wade's injury really did some damage to the Heat, and now without Wade, the Heat are 0-3 (so far). What I wanted to see is that how far could a healthy Dwyane Wade in the midseason bring the depleted and aging line-up of Miami. Shaquille O'Neal is no longer the dominant Shaq, as well as Alonzo Mourning, and the addition of Penny Hardaway made the Heat a lot older, even Ricky Davis and Jason Williams are all over their 30's. The only bright spot so far for Miami that I've seen is Udonis Haslem, who's been a constant double double performer every night.

5.) Phoenix --> Will Steve Nash finally get his very well-deserved NBA title? Will the Suns finally get over the playoffs jinx they had for two seasons (Amare Stoudemire's injury in 2006 and Amare Stoudemire and Boris Diaw's 2007 playoffs suspension)? Now that Steve Kerr is the Suns' new GM, giving Mike D'Antoni the coaching job as his sole responsibility, the Suns could really be up for something. The acquisition of Grant Hill and big man Brian Skinner proved to be so useful for the Suns, along with known shooters and streak scorers rookies Alando Tucker and DJ Strawberry. I'd still expect a lot of 110 or 120 point nights for the Suns, but will it be enough to lead them to victories? Especially in the playoffs where it matters the most? Steve Nash for his third MVP!

LION
11-08-2007, 09:58 AM
I am monitoring the game between the Celtics and the Nuggets in Denver.* Boston is leading 77 - 38 at the end of the first half.* The Celtics finished the 1st quarter with 38 points and made/added 39 points in the 2nd quarter.*

77 points at the end of the 1st half?* This is very rare now in the NBA.Wow!*

For a Celtic diehard like me, happy days are indeed back again.* *:)* * :)* * *:)

Dark Knight
11-08-2007, 10:13 AM
I am monitoring the game between the Celtics and the Nuggets in Denver.* Boston is leading 77 - 38 at the end of the first half.* The Celtics finished the 1st quarter with 38 points and made/added 39 points in the 2nd quarter.*

For a Celtic diehard like me, happy days are indeed back again.* *:)* * :)* * *:)

Count me in.

The question is how log can they sustain their new found power. Looks like Ainge made the right move. Can you just imagine if Miller was persuaded to return?

yokam
11-08-2007, 10:40 AM
What most people expected to be a war turned out to be a blowout. Boston limited the Denver Nuggets to only 16 points in the second quarter, a quarter where most people would expect the Nuggets would come out strong after falling 22-38 in the first quarter. The Big 3 are on the bench already and it's still almost midway through the fourth quarter. Paul Pierce had 26 points, Kevin Garnett with 23 points and 13 rebounds while Ray Allen had 22 for the Celtics so far. Allen Iverson is the lone bright spot for Denver, hitting 22 points with 7:36 left in the fourth quarter. Carmelo Anthony was limited to only 11 points while Marcus Camby had 8 rebounds so far, totally outplayed by KG.

tigerman
11-08-2007, 02:13 PM
I don't understand why on earth Denver is ranked high in the west. Until they can fully understand the word "defense", I just don't consider them a real contender in the West.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

MonL
11-08-2007, 03:24 PM

Count me in.

The question is how log can they sustain their new found power. Looks like Ainge made the right move. Can you just imagine if Miller was persuaded to return?

Last time I saw those kind of scoring stats, they were made ironically by high-powered offensive-minded Denver teams during the Doug Moe and the eccentric Paul Westhead eras when the Nuggets would run their opponents ragged (a strategy used perhaps to take advantage of the thin Denver air-they are from the "Mile High City," remember? :)). The flipside however was that those Nugget teams were dead last in the league in defense. :P

yokam
11-08-2007, 09:42 PM
Denver's defense as a team as a whole is too mediocre, they've got pretty good defenders individually in Allen Iverson and Marcus Camby yet they can't translate it into a team concept. I'd rather think that Denver is really an offensive team, just like the Phoenix Suns. They've got Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony who can deliver big numbers night in and night out, their game revolves around high octane basketball and run and gun game especially between this two. Just like Phoenix, who's got Shawn Marion and Raja Bell who are good players defensively, Denver is one hell of a running and scoring team, what can we expect from an Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony?

77 points at the end of the 1st half? This is very rare now in the NBA.Wow!

I guess history is starting to repeat itself. We now have a lot of high scoring games in the NBA. Teams can easily score 100, 110, or even 120 points per night. Thanks to the Phoenix Suns who changed the phase of the game, and also no thanks to them, defense has started to take a back seat on some teams.

mighty_lion
11-08-2007, 11:34 PM

I guess history is starting to repeat itself. We now have a lot of high scoring games in the NBA. Teams can easily score 100, 110, or even 120 points per night. Thanks to the Phoenix Suns who changed the phase of the game, and also no thanks to them, defense has started to take a back seat on some teams.

^ The decrease in teams output since that era came was when NBA readopted the zone defense. Mas bumagal ang phasing ng laro one way or another. Nowadays teams can cope up with 100+ points average due to the following: (1) Excellent outside shooting (Suns/Utah) and (2) Scoring fast on transition habang wala pa ang depensa (Suns/Denver)

I remember reading in one write-up where Phil Jackson was asked as to possiblity of Kobe replicating or delisting the highest player scoring in a game (100 points by Chamberlain) he answered that its sort of impossible nowadays because of zone defense. I wonder if Chamberlain can score that much nowadays against zone.

CM_Punk
11-11-2007, 08:26 PM
Chicago Bulls was just terrible today, as the Toronto Raptors destroyed another Eastern conference team with their Euro-ball style of shooting. The Bulls aren't going to the NBA Finals with their current roster, and badly need a player who can score in bunches, or else a post player who can score in the paint.

mighty_lion
11-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Chicago Bulls was just terrible today, as the Toronto Raptors destroyed another Eastern conference team with their Euro-ball style of shooting. The Bulls aren't going to the NBA Finals with their current roster, and badly need a player who can score in bunches, or else a post player who can score in the paint.

Deng is not is yet on his form just like how he fared last playoff. Hindi pa siguro nahimasmasan ang bulls dahil sa na-unsyaming trade with Lakers. As of now I can only say they wasted too much wasted in signing Ben Wallace for 16M per year for 4 points and 3.5 rebounds per game.

dark_seid
11-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Deng is not is yet on his form just like how he fared last playoff. Hindi pa siguro nahimasmasan ang bulls dahil sa na-unsyaming trade with Lakers. As of now I can only say they wasted too much wasted in signing Ben Wallace for 16M per year for 4 points and 3.5 rebounds per game.

you can't fault paxson for that. remember in a previous offseason no free agent wanted the bulls' money (eddie jones used the threat to sign as a free agent to get a 7 year sign and trade deal with the hornets). the baby bulls needed the ff: 1) a veteran to show them the way and legitimize them, 2) somebody to hold his own against shaq (who just rampaged thru tyson chandler and the thin frontline) and 3) a way to close the gap with the pistons who ran away with the best record in the regular season. the wallace signing gave them these even at a disadvantage of being past his prime.

and for all the guaranteed money big ben is getting, his deal is structured such that the average per year of the contract decreases annually. this should make it easier to trade during the 3rd and 4th years in the trade-afraid environment of the nba, where expiring deals are in demand.

CM_Punk
11-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Ben Gordon and Luol Deng both turned down contract extensions before the season, so the Bulls have to be careful next summer in determining what their respective values are, although they are restricted free agents, so they can match the offers. I think they should keep Deng, but if someone offers a ton of cash for Gordon, they should let him go, and use the cash on other contracts.

john_paul_manahan
11-12-2007, 09:46 PM
i'd rather keep deng than the new microwave.

mighty_lion
11-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Trade Ben Gordon to New York Knicks for first round pick plus cash and draft OJ Mayo. ;D Ben Gordon-Gilbert Arenas in one. ;D

cub
11-13-2007, 12:05 AM
OJ Mayo is going to the Clippers. yes, they have a good record right now, but come january and february, they will hit the below .500 mark. IMO, Brand will not even play for the entire season if his team is losing. the clippers will tank. just like what Boston did last season. but unfortunately for them, they did not end up getting Oden. The Clippers are in need of a PG. this year maybe is the last for Cassell and there are rumours that he wants to play for George Karl. Livingston is out indefinitely. Knight is aging..

if the Clippers don't get the number 1 pick, they should get Derrick Rose. a high flyer small forward who can create. Maggette is leaving the Clips in summer and Rose will be able to get his minutes.

JonarSabilano
11-13-2007, 01:36 PM
OJ Mayo is going to the Clippers. yes, they have a good record right now, but come january and february, they will hit the below .500 mark. IMO, Brand will not even play for the entire season if his team is losing. the clippers will tank. just like what Boston did last season. but unfortunately for them, they did not end up getting Oden. The Clippers are in need of a PG. this year maybe is the last for Cassell and there are rumours that he wants to play for George Karl. Livingston is out indefinitely. Knight is aging..

if the Clippers don't get the number 1 pick, they should get Derrick Rose. a high flyer small forward who can create. Maggette is leaving the Clips in summer and Rose will be able to get his minutes.

I think it was "fortunate" for them. Instead of getting Oden and his microfractured knee, they ended up with KG.

I think Kansas' Michael Beasley is the better player as of now. Getting Mayo would be just like getting a shorter Kobe.

mighty_lion
11-13-2007, 04:04 PM
I think Derrick Rose is a PG. Played more time as SG in high school. Dwayne Wade type of player.

john_paul_manahan
11-13-2007, 06:58 PM
i dunno... we'll never know... :P

CM_Punk
11-13-2007, 08:05 PM
It's still very early, but 3 teams are still winless this season- Golden State, Seattle, and Minnesota. I can see Seattle and Minnesota fighting for their share of lottery ping pong balls in the 2008 draft, but like what happened with the Grizzlies and Celtics this year, having a lousy season doesn't guarantee you a top 2 pick in the draft.

john_paul_manahan
11-14-2007, 10:59 PM
golden state: remember that s-jax was not around.

the other two... that is another matter...

CM_Punk
11-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Read in some other NBA forums that Detroit had a deal with L.A. regarding Kobe Bryant, but Kobe shot down the trade. Of course, expect both sides to deny that any trade talks ever happened.

mighty_lion
11-16-2007, 09:04 AM
Its was a Kobe vs Hamilton, Prince, Johnson and a first round draft picks trade. Ayaw yata ni Kobe. Not enough talent daw yong matitira sa Detroit sabi ni Kobe. ;D

Its a fair trade for both the Lakers and Detroit. Hamilton and Price are still in thier prime and can be on that level for the next 5 years. For Kobe. At least wala syang kakamping na-iinjured lagi. At ang kanyang magkatotoo ang wish ni Kobe na mapunta sa East.

CM_Punk
11-16-2007, 10:05 AM
^ Kobe probably still wants to stay in L.A., but he's getting impatient with their current cast of players. He would rather the team trade Bynum, and whatever young players they have in exchange for a shot at another championship with veteran stars, like what Boston did.

mighty_lion
11-16-2007, 10:18 AM
How about Boston and Lakers trade. Kobe and Ray Allen + draft picks. Then Boston signs Chris Webber as off the bench addition. ;D

Or maybe, LA signs Chris Webber straight up.

yokam
11-18-2007, 11:09 PM
The Lakers' long term plan doesn't match the plans of Bryant. But personally, I think Kobe Bryant and sending other players away is a good move for the Lakers. If they're not willing to give up Bynum, then they might as well send Lamar Odom away and some of their draft picks. Odom is too inconsistent. Odom + Kwame Brown is not a bad choice either. The Lakers already have Bryant, Bynum, and Derek Fisher, they need at least 2 or 3 more.

dark_seid
11-19-2007, 01:26 PM
i happened to listened in on bill simmon's podcast with marc stein and ric bucher.
so just to throw this in with regards to the kobe trade.

phx offer of marion, barbosa and atl's unconditional 1st round pick in 2008 for kobe is on the table.

this satisfies everyone involved including kobe's no-trade clause powers, except for this one sticking point (the desire of the lakers to trade kobe away from the conference much less the division).

mighty_lion
11-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Natalo na rin ang Boston. They were beaten by Orlando. Lumabas ang weakness ng Boston sa game kanina. So expect every other NBA team to devise a play like what Orlando did earlier. Orlando's strategy... Physical Game to the Fullest.

yokam
11-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Boston is no longer invincible after all. Orlando vs Boston rivaly? Hmm..

The Celtics limited Dwight Howard to only 5 rebounds and outrebounded the Magic 41-27. 27 rebounds is not the kind of stats the Magic used to put every night, even Dwight Howard himself alone can haul down those numbers. Nevertheless, I can't wait for a rematch. For sure Celtics fans back int Boston won't give the Magic much love.

Dark Knight
11-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Well, as Garnett said, you cant win all 82 games ;D

john_paul_manahan
11-19-2007, 09:19 PM
but how many teams do you think have a good physical presence down low that can beat the big 3?

CM_Punk
11-25-2007, 08:21 PM
Chicago needs to initiate trade talks with the Grizzlies about Pau Gasol again, because they still need somebody to score in the paint. Wallace, Thomas, and Noah aren't going to get it done for them in the East, especially against a team like Boston.

mighty_lion
11-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Current Season Battle of Draft Class Honors*;D

2003 Draft Class - LBJ vs. Melo vs. D-wade.
Statswise, no one comes close. Not even Milicic. *LBJ. How about 31 points / 8 assist / 8 rebounds / 1.5 steals and blocks ppg. A favorite winner for MVP honors this year. Anyway.. D-wade edges LBJ for simple reason he already won an NBA title. *:P

2004 Draft Class - D12 vs. Okafor
So far D12 has superexceeded superhigh expectations. 23 points / 15 rebounds / 2.5 blocks / 1.5 assist per game in 38 minutes. Btw, he is just 21 yrs old. This guy is indeed insane post player and a promist of another Shaq Attack. He has Shaq's strength, leaping ability of Vince Carter and cat-like quickness of KG.

Looks like the Shaq-Yao (east-west) rivalry as to the best center in the league will soon be replaced by.... D12 and....... Greg Oden. * :P

2005 Draft Class. Bogut who? This is a D-Williams vs Chris Paul affair.
Skills wise I have to pick Chris Paul. But including durability and tenure, it has to be D-Will overall.

2006 Draft Class - Bargnani vs Aldrige vs Rudy Gay
I think Gay is the best to date. He is in the bridge to meet the expectations as the next T-Mac in the making. Forget about Gerald Green in that category. Nagsisi kaya ang Houston sa Gay-Battier trade? *;D They are better off with Ming-Tmac-Gay trio.

2007 Draft Class - Durant vs. Oden.
No explanations required. Durant.

My pick was Mike Conley as the guy who can give Durant a run for the ROY award. Na injured pa and wala na for the whole season. To bad for the second former Ohio Star (Oden being the other one). As to why Conley.. *His overall per-minute production at the point guard position was only surpassed by Steve Nash, Chris Paul, Chauncey Billups, Jose Calderon, Baron Davis and Jason Kidd. That is despite playing nearly 15 minutes per game behind Damon Stoudamire and Kyle Lowry. Conley also was taking excellent care of the basketball, averaging 5.25 assists per turnover (Billups leads all qualified leaders with 4.56 and the overall winner for several years now). This guy is a ala-Tony Parker in the making in years to come.

mighty_lion
11-25-2007, 09:09 PM
Chicago needs to initiate trade talks with the Grizzlies about Pau Gasol again, because they still need somebody to score in the paint. Wallace, Thomas, and Noah aren't going to get it done for them in the East, especially against a team like Boston.

I think Bulls is a legitimate contender in the east even without a legitimate post player. Phoenix has none either and the best that they have as stand-alone post player is Diaw. Amare has yet to learn legitimate one-on-one post moves. Lahat ng atake ni Amare it has to be with the aid of team play and nash's help. I think the problem with the Bulls lies with the hands of thier thier guards and system. Hinrich, Gordon, Deng, Duhon loves the ball to much that the ball has to be in the hands of these four guys for he first 12-18 minutes. For me Thomas has Amare type of potential. He will try to attack the basket no matter what type defense will be thrown to him. This is one weak link in their system. Wala silang tiwala kay Thomas. Noah is the same type of player. Attack the basket off from a running attack ang laro nyan sa Florida. If they are expecting perimeter shooting from Thomas and Noah similar to that of Nocioni and Co., wala talagang mangyayari sa kanila.

CM_Punk
11-25-2007, 11:07 PM
2003 draft- I wanna see Wade win a title without Shaq around before I even consider putting him ahead of LeBron, who is an MVP candidate already. Draft experts were so wrong about Darko, and the stars of this class are James, Wade, Anthony, and Bosh, all members of team USA.

2004 draft- Howard is indeed a beast. Okafor needs to stay healthy for Charlotte to go anywhere. Too bad Sean May and Adam Morrison are out for the year.

2005 draft- Bogut and Marvin Williams? Not exactly great #1 and 2 picks. Deron Williams and Chris Paul are two of the best young starting point guards in the league already.

2006 draft- not a fan of Bargnani, as his post moves still need a lot of work, as they're making him play center. Thomas, Gay, and Aldridge are other potential future stars.

yokam
11-26-2007, 01:10 PM
Current Season Battle of Draft Class Honors ;D

2003 Draft Class - LBJ vs. Melo vs. D-wade.
Statswise, no one comes close. Not even Milicic. LBJ. How about 31 points / 8 assist / 8 rebounds / 1.5 steals and blocks ppg. A favorite winner for MVP honors this year. Anyway.. D-wade edges LBJ for simple reason he already won an NBA title. :P

How about Chris Bosh?

2004 Draft Class - D12 vs. Okafor
So far D12 has superexceeded superhigh expectations. 23 points / 15 rebounds / 2.5 blocks / 1.5 assist per game in 38 minutes. Btw, he is just 21 yrs old. This guy is indeed insane post player and a promist of another Shaq Attack. He has Shaq's strength, leaping ability of Vince Carter and cat-like quickness of KG.

Looks like the Shaq-Yao (east-west) rivalry as to the best center in the league will soon be replaced by.... D12 and....... Greg Oden. :P

It's a lopsided win for Dwight Howard. Orlando really made a very good and right choice of picking him and passing on Emeka Okafor during the 2004 NBA Draft. Okafor had too much hype during the draft.

2005 Draft Class. Bogut who? This is a D-Williams vs Chris Paul affair.
Skills wise I have to pick Chris Paul. But including durability and tenure, it has to be D-Will overall.

This one could go down as on of the greater point guard rivalries in the future. Should one of them move to the East so they could meet in the finals?

I think Gay is the best to date. He is in the bridge to meet the expectations as the next T-Mac in the making. Forget about Gerald Green in that category. Nagsisi kaya ang Houston sa Gay-Battier trade? ;D They are better off with Ming-Tmac-Gay trio.

Players who play different games. But all of them play support roles, not really a star studded batch. Maybe not yet.

2007 Draft Class - Durant vs. Oden.
No explanations required. Durant.

My pick was Mike Conley as the guy who can give Durant a run for the ROY award. Na injured pa and wala na for the whole season. To bad for the second former Ohio Star (Oden being the other one). As to why Conley.. His overall per-minute production at the point guard position was only surpassed by Steve Nash, Chris Paul, Chauncey Billups, Jose Calderon, Baron Davis and Jason Kidd. That is despite playing nearly 15 minutes per game behind Damon Stoudamire and Kyle Lowry. Conley also was taking excellent care of the basketball, averaging 5.25 assists per turnover (Billups leads all qualified leaders with 4.56 and the overall winner for several years now). This guy is a ala-Tony Parker in the making in years to come.

Kevin Durant will dominate this batch, even if Greg Oden will return. Too bad Durant belongs to a very mediocre team right now. but who knows, maybe he can turn Seattle into something like what Michael Jordan did with the lowly Chicago Bulls. The future looks bright with Kevin Durant, Damien Wilkins, and Jeff Green.

BigBlue
11-26-2007, 01:42 PM
I think Gay is the best to date. He is in the bridge to meet the expectations as the next T-Mac in the making. Forget about Gerald Green in that category. Nagsisi kaya ang Houston sa Gay-Battier trade? ;D They are better off with Ming-Tmac-Gay trio.

bakit parang ayaw nyo pansinin ang reigning ROY? :P the guy is quite underrated. if Portland does become the powerhouse it seems destined to become, methinks Brandon Roy would be the keel that would stabilize the whole ship.

dark_seid
11-26-2007, 02:19 PM
^^ wala kase sya matinding upside? what you see is what you get? solid thinking pro?

personally, mas gusto ko pa rin si bargnani. possibleng dirk nowitzi's career arc with the big game angas. both him and bosh can create so many mismatches.

and dun sa durant vs oden will have to wait until oden actually plays some real nba game. personally, i still go with this bill walton nugget, "shaq and tim has contested for the championship every year since michael retired"

mighty_lion
11-26-2007, 03:00 PM
I think Gay is the best to date. He is in the bridge to meet the expectations as the next T-Mac in the making. Forget about Gerald Green in that category. Nagsisi kaya ang Houston sa Gay-Battier trade?* ;D They are better off with Ming-Tmac-Gay trio.

bakit parang ayaw nyo pansinin ang reigning ROY? :P the guy is quite underrated. if Portland does become the powerhouse it seems destined to become, methinks Brandon Roy would be the keel that would stabilize the whole ship.

Roys progress so far has not been good. I agree with dark_seid question, malaki ang question regarding Roy's upside. Last year, Roy was the run away winner for the ROY award simply among the top 10 picks, si Roy ang pinakamatured na ang laro sa college. Tingin ko rin mas malaki ang upside ni Aldrige.

dark_seid
11-26-2007, 06:23 PM
from what i saw on tv last year, roy has a real solid pro game. he thinks his way throughout and kept in control. and with the no-touch officiating rules of the nba, he can get his way to wherever he wants. the limited upside that i was thinking of was that roy doesn't have that next gear in his game. the next gear that effectively demoralizes the competition. but as noted, he is a tremendous presence in the court to balance the team because he seems to be not easily rattled. so if the dominance of aldrige and oden materializes in the near future, portland needs roy's calming influence in the thick of the playoff battles.

why i like bargnani more? the kid has that nastiness in him aside from the fact that he is a 7 footer that can score in a variety of ways. i saw and read of this scenario involving andrea. after sticking a dagger 3 after another make in a previous possession to squelch an opponent's emerging run, he shouted something in italian to the opposing team's bench. it was that attitude with aptitude that potential great ballers possess. it reminded me of dirk's 2006 western conference playoff run (excluding the finals meltdown) where he wanted/demanded the ball vs bruce bowen and raja bell/shawn marion.

but it is a long season. slumps happens.

mighty_lion
11-26-2007, 10:48 PM
One thing that we cannot ignore is the fact that amongst the four (Roy, Bargnani, Gay & Aldridge), Roy is the one who is heavily guarded by opposing teams. If I am a team who would like to defeat Portland the easiest way is to crample the heart and soul of the team, which is essentially Brandon Roy.

Between Bargnani and Aldrige, i'll have Aldrige as the much better player. While Bargnani is the better shooter, Aldrige has excellent shooting accuracy from almost all side of the court except shooting 3s (I think he is not encouraged to shoot those type of shots but he does in college). Bargnani on the otherhand is an excellent 3pt shooter but has only 2 comfort zones which is the top of the key 3pt area. Try to compare using the link below.

http://www.nba.com/hotspots/

john_paul_manahan
12-01-2007, 04:41 AM
btw, it is important to note that brandon still has issues with his heel.

BigBlue
12-04-2007, 04:39 PM
^he finished today's game with 26pts, 9rebs and 7assts, leading the Blazers to a win over the Grizzlies

dark_seid
12-05-2007, 06:02 PM
tim duncan had a bad slip in their game against portland a few days ago. he stayed down clutching his right knee and had to be helped off the court. mri a few days after shows no ligament damage. he is now currently classified as having a sprained ankle (nothing about the knee) and expected to miss only a few games.

anybody hear the collective sigh of relief from spurs fans? and the little murmur from the rest (especially suns fans)?

gameface_one
12-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Cavaliers forward James still idled by sprained finger

Agence France-Presse

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Cleveland Cavaliers forward LeBron James, the leading scorer in the National Basketball Association, sat out again Tuesday with a sprained left index finger.

His absence from the Cavaliers' contest against the New Jersey Nets marked the third straight game James has been sidelined.

The 22-year-old superstar was hurt in the first half of Wednesday's loss to the Detroit Pistons, when he was fouled by Nazr Mohammed.

He did not play in the second half of that game, which the Cavaliers lost 109-74. Without James, the Cavaliers also lost their next two games.

Through 16 games this season, James is averaging 30.7 points, 7.6 rebounds and 8.1 assists.

mighty_lion
12-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Id like to ask your thoughts on this question: Is Washington Wizards better without Gilbert Arenas?

Napansin ko kasi lately, kaya naman nilang nanalo sila pag-wala si Arenas. Besides mas maganda and fluid ang team play.

aircanda
12-14-2007, 02:47 PM
sir, i think hinde magiging playoff contender ang wizards kung wala si arenas.. kaya lang siguro panget ang start ng wizards date kasi galing from injury itong si arenas.. swerte nga lang din si lebron nuong playoffs last season.. wala si arenas.. parang walang pupuntahan ang wizards nun.. siguro ngaun.. natuto na lang sila na magmove-on na wala ang kanilang star player..

john_paul_manahan
12-16-2007, 06:36 PM
speaking of which... they lose agent zero's back-up for awhile

dark_seid
12-18-2007, 03:33 PM
i found this bit of news recently ...

"My confidence level right now is really low. It's horrible," Darko Milicic told the Orlando Sentinel. "It's weird. I'm with a team now that needs me, and has given me every opportunity to play. I've got a nice contract, but for some reason I can't even do the things I used to do."

... my comment is ... can we now officially label darko as bust and place joe dumars also on the list of worst (aside from the best) nba executive/gm of all time for that 2003 draft?

aircanda
12-18-2007, 03:52 PM
i found this bit of news recently ...

"My confidence level right now is really low. It's horrible," Darko Milicic told the Orlando Sentinel. "It's weird. I'm with a team now that needs me, and has given me every opportunity to play. I've got a nice contract, but for some reason I can't even do the things I used to do."

... my comment is ... can we now officially label darko as bust and place joe dumars also on the list of worst nba executive/gm of all time for that 2003 draft?

for me.. ang dapat sisihin jan ay si larry brown..may reputation talagang ganian si brown eh.. he benched darko in his rookie season.. unlike james, melo and wade.. most all of his batchmates were given playing minutes.. their coaches trusted them.. kaya nabuo ang kumpiyansa sa sarili.. sayang talaga.. yes.. he is a bust.. dahil kay larry brown..

mighty_lion
12-18-2007, 04:41 PM
2 things:
Milicic is younger than Lebron when both entered the NBA in 2003. 1985 si Milicic, 1984 si Lebron.
Milicic is the first NBA title holder in 2003 draft class. Not Wade. Lebron has yet to prove himself and same goes to Melo, Bosh & Josh Howard. His contribution? As a practice player and lucky charm for Detroit. ;D

Milicic was drafted as high as #2 out of potential. Before Bargnani, Milicic was hyped and projected as the next Dirk. That time Detroit is already an above average team if not a championship caliber team and it took the risk of taking a project player. Just take a look at this link. http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/darkomilicic.htm Highly touted si Milicic that time because of his height and game. All of these with the knowledge that he is untested against American type basketball.

Malamang nga kasalanan ni Larry Brown dagdagan mo pa ng sangkaterbang kamalasan. Lets not forget that Detroit ended up as the NBA Champ in 2003-2004 season. At the start of the season Detroit was already one piece away to complete the puzzle. Larry Brown relied on his veterans as they know they are legitimate contender in the East. Dagdagan mo pa, out of nowhere Prince rised to the occasion from seldom used bench to a legitimate star throughout the season lalo pang bumangis nung playoff. Nang makuha nila si Rasheed, that ended it all. Why spend time developing a soft rookie when a serviceable star is already in the team? Besides, wala din naman balak magtagal sa team si Larry Brown after all.

BigBlue
12-18-2007, 04:57 PM
... my comment is ... can we now officially label darko as bust and place joe dumars also on the list of worst nba executive/gm of all time for that 2003 draft?

the guy leads the pistons to a championship the following year, and you still think he's a candidate for worst exec?

dark_seid
12-18-2007, 06:20 PM

the guy leads the pistons to a championship the following year, and you still think he's a candidate for worst exec?

ah, i should have written best AND worst nba executive/gm of all time.

it's just that i wanted detroit to become a dynasty, still running today with the window of more rings wide open. and after the trade of darko to orl, i wanted the double d's to dominate with hi-lo plays that eats everyone alive for years. as per most scouts' take pre-2003 draft, darko indeed has that tantalizing potential of speed, strength and shooting with impeccable timing like the new breed of power forwards roaming the nba.

but yeah, larry brown really is the culprit of the whole thing. that's the actual conclusion to the whole detroit 2003 draft saga. i just wanted to be a bit greedy because of the loss of a potential great nba match-up featuring team-ball for years.

CM_Punk
12-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Detroit is not the place to go for young foreign players. Darko of Memphis, Okur of Utah, and now Delfino of Toronto never really got to play major minutes during their early days with the Pistons. Now that they have moved on to other teams, these players have found expanded roles in the NBA, and are important pieces for their respective national teams in the summer. Can't really fault Detoit for drafting them, as they did win a championship after all.

cub
12-18-2007, 08:08 PM
they got rid of Delfino but they got another Agrgentinian in Walter Herrmann

gameface_one
12-18-2007, 10:22 PM
Suns snap Spurs home win streak

Agence France-Presse

SAN ANTONIO, Texas - Grant Hill scored 22 points and Leandro Barbosa collected 18 as the Phoenix Suns beat San Antonio 100-95 Monday, handing the Spurs their first home loss of the season.

It was the first meeting between the two teams since San Antonio eliminated the Suns in the National Basketball Association quarter-finals last season.

Barbosa and Amare Stoudemire combined to score 14 points in the fourth quarter. Stoudemire also finished in double figures with 17 points.

"It was definitely fun to play the last two minutes. It was high intensity, and a playoff atmosphere," Stoudemire said. "And when you get playoff atmosphere game in December, you know it's fun to play."

Tim Duncan nearly had a double-double in the first quarter alone, with 10 points and eight rebounds. His 36 points and 17 rebounds were both season-highs.

"He got going, and we tried to start throwing some different looks at him. He's the best. He's great," Phoenix forward Grant Hill said.

"We came out tonight and didn't play great basketball, but we were consistent. We weathered their offensive surges and played good defense. They're a great team, and we were just able to prevail there at the end."

Steve Nash was held scoreless in the first half on zero-for-three shooting. His first field goal came with 8:34 left in the third quarter, and he finished with 10 points and 10 assists.

The Spurs trailed after the third quarter, 74-67, but started the fourth quarter on a 10-2 run. They briefly took the lead, 77-76, after a Duncan offensive rebound and layup with 9:19 remaining.

The teams see-sawed for 23 lead changes, 12 in the fourth quarter. Manu Ginobili, who finished with 18 points, hit a three-pointer with 4:34 left in the game that gave the Spurs an 86-85 lead.

Duncan hit two free throws with under two minutes left that tied the game at 90-90, but Steve Nash found Stoudemire for an easy, powerful one-handed dunk on the next possession.

Michael Finley, who finished with 15 points, hit a three-pointer with 1:17 to go that gave the Spurs a 93-92 lead, and Stoudemire committed an offensive foul trying to set a screen for Nash.

The Spurs committed a turnover, though, and Hill hit a 14-foot jumpshot that gave the Suns a one-point lead with 39.8 seconds remaining.

"Tonight, we closed the game out," Suns forward Shawn Marion said. "It was a tight score the entire night. We knew the Spurs would make a run at us late in the fourth, but we just kept our composure and won the game."

Bruce Bowen missed a three-pointer in the corner that would have given the Spurs the advantage, and Phoenix left with a win.

Without France's Tony Parker in the lineup for the third straight game, the Spurs needed Duncan's effort to even stay close, as the rest of the starters combined to score 33 points. San Antonio is 1-2 without Parker in the lineup.

"Of course we miss Tony Parker. He's one of our best players," Duncan said. "We miss him offensively and for the way he attacks and breaks people down. You never know how having him out there and having those things available to us would have changed things tonight."

gameface_one
12-18-2007, 10:23 PM
James passes points milestone in Cavs win over Bucks

Reuters

CLEVELAND, Ohio - LeBron James became the youngest player in NBA history to score 9,000 career points in helping the Cleveland Cavaliers edge the Milwaukee Bucks 104-99 in double overtime on Monday.

The 22-year-old James registered 31 points to boost his career total to 9,028, passing the milestone a year-and-a-half younger than Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers.

Zydrunas Ilgauskas scored the Cavaliers' first six points of the second overtime to assure the win and finished with 24 points and 11 rebounds.

Michael Redd led Milwaukee with 22 points.

* Grant Hill's 22 points led the Phoenix Suns to a 100-95 road win over the San Antonio Spurs.

Leandro Barbosa added 18, Amare Stoudemire had 17 and Steve Nash contributed 10 points, 10 assists and eight rebounds for the Suns.

Tim Duncan powered San Antonio with 36 points and 17 rebounds.

* Dirk Nowitzki had 31 points and Dallas Mavericks held off the Orlando Magic 111-108. Hedo Turkoglu had 26 for Orlando with Dwight Howard getting 22 points and 13 rebounds.

* The Golden State warriors ended a three-game road losing streak with a 125-117 victory over the Memphis Grizzlies behind Stephen Jackson's 28 points and 12 rebounds.

Monta Ellis added 23 and Baron Davis had 22 for the Warriors.

Rudy Gay paced Memphis with 32 points.

* Dwyane Wade scored 30 points despite shooting six of 22 from the floor and the Miami Heat turned back the Minnesota Timberwolves 91-87 in Miami.

Shaquille O'Neal added 15 points and eight rebounds.

Al Jefferson had 22 points and 20 rebounds for Minnesota.

* Joe Johnson had 26 points and Marvin Williams 21 and the Atlanta Hawks beat the Utah Jazz for the first time in five years with a 116-111 home win.

Carlos Boozer had 39 points and 12 rebounds for the Jazz.

gameface_one
12-19-2007, 07:23 AM
Suns snap Spurs home win streak

Agence France-Presse

SAN ANTONIO, Texas - Grant Hill scored 22 points and Leandro Barbosa collected 18 as the Phoenix Suns beat San Antonio 100-95 Monday, handing the Spurs their first home loss of the season.

It was the first meeting between the two teams since San Antonio eliminated the Suns in the National Basketball Association quarter-finals last season.

Barbosa and Amare Stoudemire combined to score 14 points in the fourth quarter. Stoudemire also finished in double figures with 17 points.

"It was definitely fun to play the last two minutes. It was high intensity, and a playoff atmosphere," Stoudemire said. "And when you get playoff atmosphere game in December, you know it's fun to play."

Tim Duncan nearly had a double-double in the first quarter alone, with 10 points and eight rebounds. His 36 points and 17 rebounds were both season-highs.

"He got going, and we tried to start throwing some different looks at him. He's the best. He's great," Phoenix forward Grant Hill said.

"We came out tonight and didn't play great basketball, but we were consistent. We weathered their offensive surges and played good defense. They're a great team, and we were just able to prevail there at the end."

Steve Nash was held scoreless in the first half on zero-for-three shooting. His first field goal came with 8:34 left in the third quarter, and he finished with 10 points and 10 assists.

The Spurs trailed after the third quarter, 74-67, but started the fourth quarter on a 10-2 run. They briefly took the lead, 77-76, after a Duncan offensive rebound and layup with 9:19 remaining.

The teams see-sawed for 23 lead changes, 12 in the fourth quarter. Manu Ginobili, who finished with 18 points, hit a three-pointer with 4:34 left in the game that gave the Spurs an 86-85 lead.

Duncan hit two free throws with under two minutes left that tied the game at 90-90, but Steve Nash found Stoudemire for an easy, powerful one-handed dunk on the next possession.

Michael Finley, who finished with 15 points, hit a three-pointer with 1:17 to go that gave the Spurs a 93-92 lead, and Stoudemire committed an offensive foul trying to set a screen for Nash.

The Spurs committed a turnover, though, and Hill hit a 14-foot jumpshot that gave the Suns a one-point lead with 39.8 seconds remaining.

"Tonight, we closed the game out," Suns forward Shawn Marion said. "It was a tight score the entire night. We knew the Spurs would make a run at us late in the fourth, but we just kept our composure and won the game."

Bruce Bowen missed a three-pointer in the corner that would have given the Spurs the advantage, and Phoenix left with a win.

Without France's Tony Parker in the lineup for the third straight game, the Spurs needed Duncan's effort to even stay close, as the rest of the starters combined to score 33 points. San Antonio is 1-2 without Parker in the lineup.

"Of course we miss Tony Parker. He's one of our best players," Duncan said. "We miss him offensively and for the way he attacks and breaks people down. You never know how having him out there and having those things available to us would have changed things tonight."

mighty_lion
12-26-2007, 07:37 PM
One thing that we cannot ignore is the fact that amongst the four (Roy, Bargnani, Gay & Aldridge), Roy is the one who is heavily guarded by opposing teams. If I am a team who would like to defeat Portland the easiest way is to crample the heart and soul of the team, which is essentially Brandon Roy.

Between Bargnani and Aldrige, i'll have Aldrige as the much better player. While Bargnani is the better shooter, Aldrige has excellent shooting accuracy from almost all side of the court except shooting 3s (I think he is not encouraged to shoot those type of shots but he does in college). Bargnani on the otherhand is an excellent 3pt shooter but has only 2 comfort zones which is the top of the key 3pt area. Try to compare using the link below.

http://www.nba.com/hotspots/

Brandoy Roy and the young Blazers are kidding us. 11 consecutive wins for the Portland now.

One thing though. Im far more convinced that Brandon Roy is a PG than SG.

AnthonyServinio
12-31-2007, 09:15 PM
* * *NOW those were real honest to goodness retro uniforms worn by the Los Angeles Lakers in their loss at home today to the Boston Celtics!

* * *Perhaps the players were too conscious with their VERY short shorts.* Not even a switch to their usual shorts at halftime could save them!* *;D :D

mighty_lion
12-31-2007, 10:11 PM
^ Napamura ako sa sout ng Lakers. @#$%! Heck! Human rights violation yun. :D

dark_seid
01-02-2008, 07:21 PM
a nugget from coach rivers ... that players from the 80's have better bodies than the current generation.

hmmm ... after watching classic nba ... rivers sounds spot on.

aircanda
01-03-2008, 12:41 AM
mga sir.. hindi ko alam kung saan tama dapat ipost to pero gusto ko lang sana magtanong kung...

asang lupalop at ano na ang nangyari kay Darius Miles?

AnthonyServinio
01-03-2008, 03:10 AM
mga sir.. hindi ko alam kung saan tama dapat ipost to pero gusto ko lang sana magtanong kung...

asang lupalop at ano na ang nangyari kay Darius Miles?

* * *Darius Miles of the Portland Trailblazers underwent surgery on his right knee that resulted in him sitting out the entire 2006-2007 NBA season.* Miles has yet to fully recover as of this writing and remains on the Blazers' injured list.

CM_Punk
01-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Just imagine how scary that Portland team will be next year once Greg Oden joins their team. A potential top 4 team in the West for the next couple of years, with the chance to become a great team once Duncan, Nash, etc. reach the end of their careers.

mighty_lion
01-07-2008, 06:33 PM
Just imagine how scary that Portland team will be next year once Greg Oden joins their team. A potential top 4 team in the West for the next couple of years, with the chance to become a great team once Duncan, Nash, etc. reach the end of their careers.

True. I watched thier game yesterday and I would say Portlands' halfcourt game is more stringent than Spurs. Nearly all thier half-court execution ends on somewhere 20th-24th mark of the shotclock. Ganun katagal magset-up ng game. For basketball fan like me who prefers high octain run-and-gun system, they seem to be a bit boring team to watch. Systemwise. But true, they are a championship team in at least 3 years time.

West will always be the better conference. In this years draft, West got Oden and Durant. Next year its seems Minny and Clips (both West teams) are both on track for the Beasley and Derrick Rose lottery.

dark_seid
01-08-2008, 06:54 PM
West will always be the better conference. In this years draft, West got Oden and Durant. Next year its seems Minny and Clips (both West teams) are both on track for the Beasley and Derrick Rose lottery.

so whoever gets out from the east has a puncher's chance to become nba champs if they get hot ala miami vs dallas. 2 straight wins and the east champs, possibly fresher from a less grueling east conf playoffs, might get momentum to carry them towards the championship.

mighty_lion
01-08-2008, 07:27 PM

so whoever gets out from the east has a puncher's chance to become nba champs if they get hot ala miami vs dallas. 2 straight wins and the east champs, possibly fresher from a less grueling east conf playoffs, might get momentum to carry them towards the championship.

True. That is also one of the reasons why Kobe is oozing for a trade that will land him in the East. Swerte ni KG Imho, Detroit and Orlando are the only legitimate contenders for Eastern Conference title this year. Since Boston can finish the season on top most probably isa lang sa Detroit or Orlando ang makakalaban nila sa playoff.

john_paul_manahan
01-09-2008, 04:13 AM
True. I watched thier game yesterday and I would say Portlands' halfcourt game is more stringent than Spurs. Nearly all thier half-court execution ends on somewhere 20th-24th mark of the shotclock. Ganun katagal magset-up ng game. For basketball fan like me who prefers high octain run-and-gun system, they seem to be a bit boring team to watch. Systemwise. But true, they are a championship team in at least 3 years time.

Next year its seems Minny and Clips (both West teams) are both on track for the Beasley and Derrick Rose lottery.

they can run when they want to. i guess that they want to milk the best possible shot. they feed off each other.

lets not forget eric gordon and oj mayo.

aircanda
01-09-2008, 04:05 PM
True. That is also one of the reasons why Kobe is oozing for a trade that will land him in the East. Swerte ni KG Imho, Detroit and Orlando are the only legitimate contenders for Eastern Conference title this year. Since Boston can finish the season on top most probably isa lang sa Detroit or Orlando ang makakalaban nila sa playoff.

sir.. hintayin mo si lebron at cavs ko.. i have this strong feeling na puputok ang Cavs ko at makakabalik ng finals.. well, sana.. peace..

mighty_lion
01-09-2008, 04:58 PM

Next year its seems Minny and Clips (both West teams) are both on track for the Beasley and Derrick Rose lottery.

they can run when they want to. i guess that they want to milk the best possible shot. they feed off each other.

lets not forget eric gordon and oj mayo.

I just realized this afternoon. Memphis and Seattle have fair shots on the 2008 draft as well. Gordon and Mayo are no doubt contenders for the the Top 3 picks. That makes it 4 Western teams for Top 5 picks in 2008 draft. :-[

@aircanada. No problem sir. Cavs have a good shot on the East but until they figure it out whats the problem, mangangapa sila. Its hard to deny that Boston and Orlando improved a lot since last year. Medyo napag-iwanan nila ang Cavs.

BigBlue
01-09-2008, 06:20 PM
it kinda looks like the Bulls will tank this season, and go for Mayo as well.

aircanda
01-09-2008, 07:45 PM
@aircanada. No problem sir. Cavs have a good shot on the East but until they figure it out whats the problem, mangangapa sila. Its hard to deny that Boston and Orlando improved a lot since last year. Medyo napag-iwanan nila ang Cavs.

Agree sir.. :D .. I just hope that both of this teams will play superb ball when playoffs comes.. lalong lalo na si Dwight..

Boston? mga sir, Im not really a fan of this team.. not that naiinis ako sa kanila pero its because sobra na sila magagaling at malakas.. ;D

Go underdogs.. CAvs and GSW.. ;D
peace

dark_seid
01-10-2008, 12:16 AM
I just realized this afternoon. Memphis and Seattle have fair shots on the 2008 draft as well. Gordon and Mayo are no doubt contenders for the the Top 3 picks. That makes it 4 Western teams for Top 5 picks in 2008 draft. :-[

from the east, new york and miami are just .... terrible (worst than memphis?). so this two teams also have a chance at a possibly good 2008 draft.

john_paul_manahan
01-10-2008, 03:54 AM
those who watched the indiana - michigan game on espn can give a thought on what eric gordon can do.

CM_Punk
01-10-2008, 12:14 PM
The only forward who can go #1 in the 2008 draft is Michael Beasley. All the other candidates to go that high are guards- Rose, Mayo, Gordon. Of course, if you're drafting that high, that means your team needs a lot of help everywhere, so just draft BPA.

mighty_lion
01-10-2008, 12:26 PM
^ Sir can you clarify what you meant by BPA?

CM_Punk
01-10-2008, 03:04 PM
BPA = Best Player Available. That's what draft sites always say, but of course, each team has different scouts who rank their prospects in various ways.

john_paul_manahan
01-10-2008, 10:19 PM
hmmm... beasley in memphis? not bad. methinks my clips will go with anyone but beasley.

mighty_lion
01-10-2008, 10:26 PM
hmmm... beasley in memphis? not bad. methinks my clips will go with anyone but beasley.

I think a lot of teams are on the run for Brand specially come offseason. Beasley is also flexible enough to play 3 position. So pwede parin si Beasley kahit papano. But for me the most logical move is to let livingston play come March and have Kaman and Magette an early vacation. Then trade livingston for a possible top 10 pick. Draft Derrick Rose and best swingman available.

LION
01-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Boston got its 4th loss after 33 games. Although Ray Allen and Big Baby sat out this game due to injuries, the Celtics could have easily won this game. Kainis. >:(

tigerman
01-11-2008, 12:04 AM
^ 2 key players for Charlotte were also out (Morrison and May). And if I'm not mistaken they're both out for the rest of the season.

Anyway, this is probably the upset of the year.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

joelex
01-11-2008, 12:55 AM
the bobcats have a really solid core next year with the return of morrison and may. if they can sign a key free agent they should easily be a top 5-6 eastern conference team

john_paul_manahan
01-12-2008, 05:46 AM
I think a lot of teams are on the run for Brand specially come offseason. Beasley is also flexible enough to play 3 position. So pwede parin si Beasley kahit papano. But for me the most logical move is to let livingston play come March and have Kaman and Magette an early vacation. Then trade livingston for a possible top 10 pick. Draft Derrick Rose and best swingman available.*

they just drafted al thornton. kaya i felt that a guard is necessary.

mighty_lion
01-12-2008, 08:07 AM
I think a lot of teams are on the run for Brand specially come offseason. Beasley is also flexible enough to play 3 position. So pwede parin si Beasley kahit papano. But for me the most logical move is to let livingston play come March and have Kaman and Magette an early vacation. Then trade livingston for a possible top 10 pick. Draft Derrick Rose and best swingman available.*

they just drafted al thornton. kaya i felt that a guard is necessary.

Oo nga pala. You have a point there.

Mga Boston fanatics dito mga nakawitness pa ng Larry Bird era. ;D

Before the start of the season I was looking forward for a good run from the Bobcats with Gerald Wallce and Jason Richardson in thier fold. HIndi ko naintindihan nung una kung bakit pilit nilang ginagawang first option si Okafor. Hindi naman sya D12. Its also a good thing that they moved Felton to the SG spot. Just a thought. Buti na lang si Howard ang pinick ng Orlando. Otherwise a D12-Wallace-Richardson combo is damn scary. Giba ang ring. ;D I think the biggest move that they need to do this offseason is to get a full-time PG. Felton is Jason Terry type of PG.

mighty_lion
01-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Id like to ask your thoughts on this question: Is Washington Wizards better without Gilbert Arenas?

Napansin ko kasi lately, kaya naman nilang nanalo sila pag-wala si Arenas. Besides mas maganda and fluid ang team play.

Somebody answered it out of nowhere. Great read.

http://www.realgm.com/src_goaltending/133/20080117/are_the_wizards_better_without_gilbert_arenas/

yokam
01-22-2008, 09:34 PM
I'm looking forward for a 70 win season for Boston. Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen is a big help for Paul Pierce place in Boston Celtics' history.

But I want Steve Nash to win his very well deserved ring. He suffered three straight unfortunate playoffs experiences.

2005 -- Joe Johnson got injured in the playoffs. With Johnson, the Suns has a better chance of challenging the Spurs.

2006 -- Amare Stoudemire was inured for almost the entire season and the Suns were basically running small the entire playoffs. Even the unexperienced Elton Brand is killing them and the Lakers almost finally got a revenge on them.

2007 -- Robert Horry's experience and dirty play got in the Suns way and the result was Amare Stoudemire and Boris Diaw sat out in a crucial game 5 where the series was tied at 2-2. Again the Suns went small against a more established and experienced team. To add more insult to injury, Steve Nash suffered a bleeding nose in the series against the Spurs.

2008 -- Wishful thinking: Long time NBA stars Steve Nash and Grant Hill will finally win an NBA ring. IT will be sweeter to beat San Antonio along the way.

dark_seid
01-24-2008, 02:54 PM
toronto goes 50+% from the field, 70+% from the 3pt area and 100% from the line to beat boston.

wow, you can't play a better game than that.

mighty_lion
01-24-2008, 03:01 PM
Heck! My Phoenix Suns got raped by no more than Minny Timberwolves.* *>:( How about Marion + Atlanta Pick for Big Al Jeferson + Ratliff?* ;D

LION
01-24-2008, 03:13 PM
toronto goes 50+% from the field, 70+% from the 3pt area and 100% from the line to beat boston.

wow, you can't play a better game than that.

Yup. You need a performance like that to beat the Celtics. If it were a different team they were playing, Toronto would have won by a blow-out. But since it was the Celtics, the winning margin is just 2 points despite that near perfect outside shooting by the Raptors.

Die hard pa rin. ;D

dark_seid
01-24-2008, 07:42 PM
^^ oo nga eh. glass half-full ang view natin. ;D

tanong lang .. meron na ba game where in-sync and dominant all 3 guys (kg, pierce, allen)? of course lagyan natin ng qualifier na against a .500 team. because when you look at the numbers/stats medyo deceiving eh.

mighty_lion
01-24-2008, 08:04 PM
Nung mga first 10 games ng Boston halos naka-sentro yong game sa Big Three. Since then, the Big Three has been doing great in involving thier teammates to maximum extent. I guess that is to boost thier confidence and develop thier role players habang nasa season pa.

dark_seid
01-25-2008, 02:49 PM
food for thought.

with its 15th straight loss today by the miami heat, can we still consider d-wade a superstar? aren't superstars supposed to be good for wins in at least a quarter (i'm being generous here, it should be half) of the games that they played in. for a recent historical context, there is t-mac's orlando magic and their 18 straight a few years ago.

bigfreeze_bibby
01-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Tingin ko puede pang consider as a superstar si Wade since we have to take a look at other factors here like Miami's team composition and the style of play Pat Riley is adapting to his team with the current materials that he has right now. I think Shaq should also consider retiring, or sige I'll give him one more season pa hehehe then pag olats ulit, retire na talaga.

mighty_lion
01-25-2008, 04:48 PM
^ In fairness to Miami and Wade in that 15 consecutive losses 3 lang ang double digit blow-out nila. And losing to Spurs with just 1 point fair na rin siguro. Here wishing they get to pick either Michael Beasley or DeAndre Jordan in the coming Rookie Draft.

MonL
01-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Nung mga first 10 games ng Boston halos naka-sentro yong game sa Big Three. Since then, the Big Three has been doing great in involving thier teammates to maximum extent. I guess that is to boost their confidence and develop thier role players habang nasa season pa.

That's a necessity. Tony Allen is already their Sixth Man. Then the talent and consistency drops off from there. Big Baby Davis has shown he can perform when given his chance, but his time on court also depends on matchups. He has been a happy recipient of Paul Pierce feeds nowadays, and he knows what to do when he gets one. :) House can shoot the lights out and can spell a bit on point. Scal hasnt seen much time on court. Only James Posey has a championship ring on this group and his experience will tell later in the playoffs.

I would like to think of the loss toToronto as an aberration, but Boston has to do a better job on defense against the 3. Its the international players and Toronto playing the international style responsible for that 15-21 killer clip from downtown. It's an eye opener for the rest of the teams, and a noticeable chink in Boston's armor.

Early on this season, there were rumors about Gary Payton trying to make a comeback with the C's but Ainge felt that he was happy with this group he had and nixed it. Let's see if this call will tell later in the playoffs when maturity and mental tougness* will make the difference.

mighty_lion
01-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Only James Posey has a championship ring on this group and his experience will tell later in the playoffs.

I definetly agree on this one. In that Championship Series between Miami and Dallas it was Posey and Haslem were the guy who set the tone defensively. While Wade sets the tone on offense it was Posey (and Haslem) who did everything para ma-frustrate si Nowitzki. Naalala ko nun every ball possession ni Dirk kulang na lang kissing scene sila palagi dahil dikit palagi ang panga nila. Piniphysical nya si Dirk tapos paggumanti si Dirk, sabay flop. ;D

Damon Stoudamire should be a good option for Boston kung matutuloy ang buy-out.

CM_Punk
01-25-2008, 08:36 PM
^ In fairness to Miami and Wade in that 15 consecutive losses 3 lang ang double digit blow-out nila.* And losing to Spurs with just 1 point fair na rin siguro. Here wishing they get to pick either Michael Beasley or DeAndre Jordan in the coming Rookie Draft.

Miami is probably hoping to get a really high pick in the lottery. A backcourt tandem of Wade and Rose would be good, or a young frontcourt player like Beasley or Jordan would be great as well. They need to get younger players for next year in order for Miami to bounce back.

aircanda
01-25-2008, 11:38 PM
^ In fairness to Miami and Wade in that 15 consecutive losses 3 lang ang double digit blow-out nila.* And losing to Spurs with just 1 point fair na rin siguro. Here wishing they get to pick either Michael Beasley or DeAndre Jordan in the coming Rookie Draft.

Miami is probably hoping to get a really high pick in the lottery. A backcourt tandem of Wade and Rose would be good, or a young frontcourt player like Beasley or Jordan would be great as well. They need to get younger players for next year in order for Miami to bounce back.

How about a big man? Zo is already done and out. Shaq might leave them next season.? Baka lang..

bigfreeze_bibby
01-26-2008, 07:05 AM
Nabasa nyo na rin pala yung possible buyout kay Damon Stoudamire. How about Sam Cassell? If ever these two PG's are available, who would you choose to get in as an addition for the Celtics?

john_paul_manahan
01-26-2008, 07:51 AM
given the clipper situation, a trade would be preferred

dark_seid
01-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Nabasa nyo na rin pala yung possible buyout kay Damon Stoudamire. How about Sam Cassell? If ever these two PG's are available, who would you choose to get in as an addition for the Celtics?

i'd go for sam if i want the celts to win the ring. problem is, damon is most probably getting bought out sooner (like a month earlier) than sam. does ainge wait that long for sam? can he gamble that the clips actually buy out sam's contract?

*side note - from the rumor mill, david stern is not happy with the spate of buyouts in recent seasons. this issue will be up for negotiation in the next collective bargaining agreement.

tigerman
01-26-2008, 08:29 PM
TNT on Vince Carter:

"Vince Carter is in his decline. He is not the superstar that he used to be. He used to be a player who gave you 3 to 4 highlight plays every single night. When a guy like him who uses his legs as a tool to be successful, and now the knees are gone, its harder for him to have consecutive great nights like he used to years ago. " - Magic Johnson

"Can he still adjust and be an effective player despite not being able to have those highlights like he used to?" - Ernie Johnson

"Can he adjust? Probably not. His best days are behind him. What I mean is for guys who play above the rim and when they can't play above the rim, there's a quick and rapid decline in their playing ability." - Charles Barkley

"He can probably adjust. But in order for him to do so, he must play like the superstar that he used to the Vince Carter of old. He can't do that anymore." - Magic Johnson

Well, Magic and Chucky are looking good with their statements. Last night, VC had a great game vs. Golden State but had an anemic showing the next game vs. Denver.

The Nets lost its 8 straight game. So far this is the worst streak I can remember in the Kidd era.

18-25

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

mighty_lion
01-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Miami just won against JO less Indiana. Wala din naman si Shaq eh kaya patas lang. ;D

abcdef
01-27-2008, 01:19 PM
New Orleans Hornets are number 1 in the West!!!!!! :o :o :o

mighty_lion
01-27-2008, 03:33 PM
^ If Peja can revive his game just like what he was during his tenure in Sactown New Orleans can give west teams a run for their money come playoff. Hornets may seem small and soft in terms of manpower but they are an excellent defensive TEAM.

aircanda
01-27-2008, 05:28 PM
New Orleans Hornets are number 1 in the West!!!!!! :o :o :o

very impressive.. jackpot NO talaga kay Paul..

CM_Punk
01-27-2008, 10:34 PM
Chris Paul is truly an elite point guard in the NBA. Of all the teams in the 2005 NBA draft who had a chance to pick him up, Atlanta probably made the biggest mistake in not getting him at #2.

While Marvin Williams is a nice young, developing player, the Hawks already had a bunch of 6-8 and 6-9 players on their roster, and badly needed a true PG; instead they passed on Paul and Deron Williams. Acie Law might become a good starter someday, but he's clearly not in the same level as the excellent Chris Paul.

joelex
01-28-2008, 07:50 AM
What a great doubleheader by espn shown over BTV today. First was Boston's short lived run at the end against the Magic capped by a corner 3 by Ray Allen to tie the game but was one upped by Hedo Turkoglu's difficult off the dribble 3 of his own in Paul Pierce's face at the buzzer. Incidentally Boston was without KG.

Next up was another come from behind win by the Cleveland Lebrons as they battled back from 9 down in the 4th to snatch the W away from the slumping and Andrew Bynum deperate Laker squad. Lebron as far as this game is concerned looks like has the advantage against fellow star Kobe Bryant. More than his 41 markers, it was the way he got his points, mostly on twisting layups in traffic against the outstreched arms of several defenders. He also scored the go ahead basket, a jumper in an iso against Kobe to strectch the lead to 3, and the sealing FT's after missing 2 crucial ones earlier. Worth noting is his outstanding on the ball D against Bryant. KB24 clearly had a hard time going around King James and his several miscues and forced shots in the homestretch proved costly.

mighty_lion
01-28-2008, 09:04 AM
Chris Paul is truly an elite point guard in the NBA. Of all the teams in the 2005 NBA draft who had a chance to pick him up, Atlanta probably made the biggest mistake in not getting him at #2.

While Marvin Williams is a nice young, developing player, the Hawks already had a bunch of* 6-8 and 6-9 players on their roster, and badly needed a true PG; instead they passed on Paul and Deron Williams. Acie Law might become a good starter someday, but he's clearly not in the same level as the excellent Chris Paul.

To exagerrate it a bit, its like drafting Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan. ;D

dark_seid
01-28-2008, 03:56 PM
^ If Peja can revive his game just like what he was during his tenure in Sactown New Orleans can give west teams a run for their money come playoff. Hornets may seem small and soft in terms of manpower but they are an excellent defensive TEAM.

hmmm. i am not so sure i will count on that during the playoffs. i still remember peja as the clutchless shooter (albeit sac kings had a litter of them anyway).

what the hornets have going for them is that chris paul can get to anywhere in the court with the "new" rules. he's kind of like a more athletic steve nash with the same awesome vision and handle. but will such rules still be "strictly enforced" in the playoffs? nash did get manhandled in game 6 of last year's western conference semis.

abcdef
01-28-2008, 09:07 PM
YEah, Nash had it at the expense of a broken nose and flying off the playing court. Hehehe!

mighty_lion
01-28-2008, 11:53 PM
YEah, Nash had it at the expense of a broken nose and flying off the playing court. Hehehe!

Isipin mo na lang kung paano mo idedeal yong ganitong veteran moves. ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ukde193ivM

On the other side, Chris Webber is reportedly joining the Golden State Warriors. Pwede pa ba sa high octane system si Webber? :)

dark_seid
01-29-2008, 12:48 AM

Isipin mo na lang kung paano mo idedeal yong ganitong veteran moves. ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ukde193ivM

ah i was referring to game 6 and how the spurs flustered nash with the holding and whatever to close out the series. the game 4 (with the infamous hip check) was relatively clean for nash to play in.

with regards to flopping, it is endemic in the nba game already. makes it really ugly to watch when lots of players play defense by flopping. i wonder whatever happened to the proposition to call technical fouls on an acting job (much like yellow/red cards in club/international football)?

i was chatting with my friend (who's also an nba addict) about flopping. we came up to a conclusion for the ruling on one part of the flopping phenomenon. the idea is ... if an offensive player is already off his feet attempting to score, the only allowable contact the defensive player can have with the offensive player is the offensive player's hand. anything else is a defensive foul -- think james worthy in a statue-of-liberty dunk attempt with some dude standing still between him and the basket. this should lessen attempts of big guys like varejao falling down instead of going for the block.

john_paul_manahan
01-29-2008, 03:27 AM
c-webb could sure use the help. i only saw snippets of the LA game. i didn't know they showed the turkoglu buzzer-beater game.

btw, that game was on ABC, not just on ESPN. ESPN (in the states) showed the Denver-Dalllas game.

BLUE HORSE
02-02-2008, 05:05 AM
Newsbreak, muna! It looks like the Memphis Grizzlies have thrown in the towel when it comes to this year NBA Championship when it unloaded Pao Gasol to the Lakers in exchange for Kwame Brown, Jevon Crittenton formerly of Georgia Tech and a first round draft pick in 2008 and 2010.

Memphis gets rid of the large salary cap of Gasol but it does not help the team on the court this year or in the future. Kwame Brown is a bust. Crittenton was buried deep in the LA wing rotation and he is not the star that can help Memphis in the future. Draft picks sucks! The picks from LA will not be lottery picks given that LA will definitely be a playoff team and pick in the latter third of the first round. Same goes for the 2010 pick.

The Lakers definitely picked the pocket of Memphis who wanted to unload the salary. Lakers get the low post offense it sought to go with the overall game of Kobe. When their young big man comes back from injury, expect to see Gasol to slide from the 5 down to the 4. Opponents will have to play honest defense because of Gasol's low post moves and take away the double team Kobe is faced on a nightly basis.

The Gasol trade is a definitely fire sale by Memphis similar to the Timberwolves trade to Boston for KG. The Timberwolves at least got some nice pieces in the trade who are actually starting for the team.

john_paul_manahan
02-02-2008, 05:11 AM
wow. stolen. OMG.

MonL
02-02-2008, 05:34 AM
Hmp. In doing the trade, Memphis "committed to long scale rebuilding effort." Another 'Nuke 'em back to the stone age' deal.

Where's Jerry West when you needed him?

Mateen Cleaves
02-02-2008, 06:22 AM
According to ESPN's Rich Bucher, Memphis is "bleeding money". Remember that the deal to sell the franchise last year didn't push through. Plus, it's no secret that Gasol wanted out already. Best not to let the situation fester. Good deal for them in terms of the expiring contracts of Kwame Brown and Aaron McKie. They like Crittenton as a prospect as well.

BTW, Bucher also said that it looks like Bynum will be out longer than the 2 months that they first estimated. That's why it was a must for LA to get a low post player like Gasol now.

My take: Memphis just wanted to settle once and for all... who's the bigger bust, Kwame or Darko? ;D

mighty_lion
02-02-2008, 05:53 PM
My take: Memphis just wanted to settle once and for all... who's the bigger bust, Kwame or Darko?* ;D

Much as I like to say the trade is too unfair, wala na akong masabi dito. Mas gugustuhin ko pang maging franchise player si Jamario Moon kesa sa dalawang ito.

CM_Punk
02-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Kobe is sure to be happy with this trade, as it shows that the Lakers are serious in contending in the West. Too bad Pau Gasol can't play with his brother, Marc, who was included in the deal going the other way, but they can always play together during the summer months on the Spanish national team.

Fire-sale is now underway in Memphis, and the other veterans i.e. Mike Miller are sure to be dealt for younger players and expiring contracts in the next few weeks. Looks like they're planning on building around Rudy Gay as their premier player, and hope for a high draft pick in the upcoming NBA draft to help him out. Kwame and Darko as their starting front court... yikes! :P

dark_seid
02-02-2008, 09:19 PM
ah .. learning the triangle offense of pjax is not easy. it's a bold move by kupchack (you wonder how the purple and gold always get such trade) but they still got to integrate gasol.

all i can is, suns will hope to high heavens that they absolutely do not draw the lakers (with everyone healthy) this playoffs. they were being out-muscled by kwame brown and lamar odom down low back in 2006, and they were being eaten alive by a young and offensively challenged bynum earlier this season. i guess all-nba 1st teamer stoudemire just doesn't really want to play defense (this is his 6th nba season already!!!!). they really should have baited the wolves for kg using amare.

tigerman
02-02-2008, 09:37 PM
With a good scorer coming to Hollywood, there should be no more reason for Kobe to attempt 30 plus shots. ;D

Let's see how quick Gasol can adjust to the triangle.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

flsfnoeraekadad
02-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Hmp. In doing the trade, Memphis "committed to long scale rebuilding effort." Another 'Nuke 'em back to the stone age' deal.

Jerry West already resigned as the Grizz GM at the end of last season.

This is a very good development. People in ClubLakers.com are going nuts. ;D

MonL
02-03-2008, 01:02 AM

Jerry West already resigned as the Grizz GM at the end of last season.

This is a very good development. People in ClubLakers.com are going nuts. ;D

Yes, I know. Just howling at the moon.* :P* Does anyone at their front office know what they are doing?

Reminds me of* the Cleveland Cavs during the Ted Stepien years. Heck, they could have gotten James Worthy with the #1 overall pick in '82 but they traded away the pick a year before racking up the worst record in the league. A Wall Street Journal article even goes to say that the Cadavers, er, Cavaliers* turned Dallas into a great franchise by trading away their draft picks in successive years in long-term deals,* and then Mavs coach Dick Motta was said to have been anxious to go to lunch because he might miss a call from Cavs owner Ted Stepien.*:D

The series of questionable moves caused the NBA to make major changes in player transaction rules, even to the point of having the unprecedented move to have all Cleveland player transactions approved first by the Commissioner .

Cavs subsequently became a good franchise during the Gund era that followed. And, indeed, perhaps a change in ownership is what's needed to save the Memphis franchise now.

joelex
02-03-2008, 03:31 AM
david west and brandon roy making the team is downright sick.

baron davis not playing in the asg is just criminal.

dark_seid
02-03-2008, 12:21 PM
With a good scorer coming to Hollywood, there should be no more reason for Kobe to attempt 30 plus shots. ;D

ah, kobe was chucking up numerous attempts even with a in-his-prime shaq. i doubt he'll pull back with gasol, who's a lesser star, unless he's out to prove a point again to his critics.

and the lakers have a bunch of tradeable assets with odom and gasol (if they so ever choose). but this is weird due to the fact they are already in luxury tax territory (20M for kobe, 13M each for pau and lamar). so if buss never wanted to go into luxury territory with a hall of famer (shaq) and a higher possibility of winning the trophy, why do it now with unproven stars (pau and lamar)?

Mateen Cleaves
02-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Yes, I know. Just howling at the moon. :P Does anyone at their front office know what they are doing?

They do. Believe it or not.

It was a choice between cap relief and contending for the playoffs. Since the latter wasn't going to happen this year anyway, they decided to bite the bullet now and dumped salaries. Stromile Swift will be next, and probably Mike Miller. They got rid of Gasol's big salary, and Kwame Brown's expiring contract gives them 9M in cap relief that they can use on veteran free agents in the off-season. Iavaroni will try to rebuild the Phoenix Suns model around Rudy Gay, Mike Conley and similar athletes. When Navarro gets over the loss of his best bud, he'll quickly realize that the Euroball style they're trying to build in Memphis fits his game to a T.

At the same time, a more financially stable franchise might be more attractive to prospective buyers.

mighty_lion
02-03-2008, 01:55 PM
Another tanking game for Memphis. :( Heck this time I hope they could land either Beasley or DeAndre Jordan.

john_paul_manahan
02-03-2008, 03:31 PM
beasley will make super sense.

stro will be going to the nets for jason collins.

and pau is a good passer, he will be fine in the triangle.

MonL
02-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Memphis gets the rights to Marc Gasol, rated to be Spain's best big man.

Reminds me of Boston's Dino Radja. He was a very good power forward and was Boston's* best rebounder during the dark years following the dismantling of the original Big 3 frontline of Bird, McHale and Parish. One writeup on him though says that being the best rebounder in Boston then was like being the best swimmer in Death Valley.* :D

BLUE HORSE
02-04-2008, 01:55 AM
Memphis was playing chicken with the other NBA teams and belatedly realized that they were not going to get a blockbuster trade for Gasol. No sane NBA general manager would extend a helping hand to Memphis. Everybody knew that Gasol wanted out, the team was loosing money at the gate and the salary of Gasol was an albatross. The trade of Gasol is the first of the fire sale. Next up will either be Miller who has value and Swift. Management must also decide about their guard rotation because they have to many point guards.

In hindsight, they should have accepted the trade offers from the Bulls if the player being traded was one of their shooting guards, a couple of draft choices and a passel of expiring contracts. The Bulls draft position would have been better than that of the Lakers, best case scenario is that it will be a lottery pick this year if they fail to make the playoff.

After the fire sale, the team will have as much as 18 million below the cap to spend on free agents. But the big question is if any of the top free agents would want to play for Memphis given their track record? In the draft, there are a lot of impact freshmen players coming out after March Madness. Beasley is a demon in the scoring and rebounding department but is he really a 3 or a 4? If a 3, he ends up playing the same position as Rudy Gay. The big man of North Carolina would be a nice fit at the 4 or Kevin Love of UCLA at the 4/5. They can use the Lakers pick on another wing player or a center.

erichubert
02-04-2008, 09:28 AM
Marc Gasol is not really the top rated big man in Europe, but he is continuously improving ever since he was drafted by the Lakers. He would be a useful rotation center, think Rasho Nesterovic, but nothing special or spectacular.

For their draft choice, I think if Derrick Rose is available, they would pick him considering he comes from University of Memphis, that would help drum up fan support in the area, unlike now where their arena is almost half empty during gameday. The only problem is Rose doesn't really feel a need since they have Conley, Lowry and now Crittenton. Beasley would be a better fit so would DeAndre Jordan, both are athletic big men who could run with Conley, Gay and company. The big man of North Carolina is Tyler Hansbrough and he is projected to be a late first round pick so I don't think they would be targetting him.

mighty_lion
02-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Tyler Hansbrough is good but I dont think he is the guy Memphis should draft within Top 5. Nearest comparison I could think of David Lee or Nick Collison. If you will ask me I want Beasley head to Miami and DeAnre Jordan to Memphis.

erichubert
02-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Yes, I agree, Tyler is one of those special college players who would be mediocre at best in the NBA. He has maxed out his potential and is destined to be a role player. I don't really have a preference as to where the top prospects go but I would like the East to get most of them, just to balance the conferences out. I mean the current imbalace is just ridiculous. I don't think a team like New Jersey, Indiana, Chicago or Atlanta deserves to go to the play-off and with the way things are playing out, they at least 2 of them would go while in the west 2 among Houston, Portland, Lakers, Warriors and Nuggets won't be in the play-offs. Just absurd.

CM_Punk
02-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Yes, Tyler Hansbrough of North Carolina is probably going to be a bench player for his NBA career. His career path is probably going to be similar to Shelden Williams of Duke a couple of years ago, who had a nice college career, but struggles against the bigger and stronger players at the 4 and 5 spots in the NBA.

Williams was a mistake to be taken #5 in the NBA draft by Atlanta, which was another drafting blunder by that franchise, similar to their Chris Paul mistake in 2005. The Grizzlies have 3 young point guards on their roster, so unless they really fall in love with Rose and trade away Lowry or Crittenton during the off-season, they will most likely pick up a forward with their high lottery draft pick.

mighty_lion
02-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Seems to me that Crittenton has higher upside than Conley. Lowry can take care of the starting PG role for Memphis and seems to have a lot yet to show. Memphis is better off trading Conley to Portland for McRoberts and 1st round draft pick. Para ganahan lalo si Oden maglaro. ;D

CM_Punk
02-04-2008, 01:58 PM
Speaking of McRoberts, he has fallen so much after being the top rated high school player in America back in 2005. While he was never going to be a dominant star, he was such a treat to watch in the McDonald's all-American high school game, and he also won the dunk contest back then.

Now, after 2 years of decent but not good seasons with Duke in the ACC, he's stuck in the developmental league, and doesn't look like he'll be called up to Portland anytime soon. What a waste of his great talent, and I hope that Josh finds the mental tougness and heart to be able to play and find a role in the NBA sometime in his still young career. All he has to do is look at Jamario Moon for inspiration* ;D

erichubert
02-04-2008, 03:02 PM
I got to watch one of his game in the D-League on BTV and he really looks uninspired. He was being outplayed by players who people haven't even heard of, there was one instance where he got totally posterized by his opponent. I think his problem is that he still thinks that he is one of the top prospects in the nation and because of this, he feels that all he has to do is show up and everything would be fine. He has got to work hard to get back his confidence because if he doesn't we might see him soon.. in the PBA that is :D

MonL
02-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Rumors are out that, pending his passing a physical, Shaquille O'Neal will be shipped to the Phoenix Suns in exchange for Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks.

??? ??? ??? Square peg in a round hole? For either team? Can Shaq be compatible with the Suns' run-'n-gun style? Can Marion be more than just another forward in the Heat rotation?

Puzzling.

bigfreeze_bibby
02-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Rumors are out that, pending his passing a physical, Shaquille O'Neal will be shipped to the Phoenix Suns in exchange for Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks.

??? ??? ??? Square peg in a round hole? For either team? Can Shaq be compatible with the Suns' run-'n-gun style? Can Marion be more than just another forward in the Heat rotation?

Puzzling.

The Suns were threatened with what the Lakers had done recently by pulling off the Gasol trade. Remember that the Lakers are beating the same Suns lineup without Gasol and look at what might possibly happen if these teams face again, malamang talunin na talaga sila ng Lakers niyan. The Lakers were always a good match-up for the Suns sans Gasol and this only increases the chances of the Lakers to beat the Suns out West so this may be Phoenix's answer to at least beef up their chances of winning an NBA championship.

MonL
02-06-2008, 02:24 PM

* *??? ??? ???* Square peg in a round hole? For either team? Can Shaq be compatible with the Suns' run-'n-gun style? Can Marion be more than just another forward in the Heat rotation?

Puzzling.

The Suns were threatened with what the Lakers had done recently by pulling off the Gasol trade.* Remember that the Lakers are beating the same Suns lineup without Gasol and look at what might possibly happen if these teams face again, malamang talunin na talaga sila ng Lakers niyan.* The Lakers were always a good match-up for the Suns sans Gasol and this only increases the chances of the Lakers to beat the Suns out West so this may be Phoenix's answer to at least beef up their chances of winning an NBA championship.

That's well and good if Shaq remains healthy up to the playoffs. But if the Suns lose that gamble if he goes down before that, they will get beat up even more.

Dark Knight
02-06-2008, 02:30 PM
As a numero uno Los Angeles Lakers hater, let 'em get Gasol. Who cares? Remember when they got Malone and Payton? ;D

Celtics will make it.

BLUE HORSE
02-07-2008, 11:27 PM
The original trade that LA wanted was Ben Wallace of the Bulls for Kwame Brown and Radinovich.* The Bulls said no because they are still hoping to make a run for a playoff spot in the East.* Making the trade was definitely one sided and would have signaled that the Bulls have given up on the season.* Both LA players would have been of no use to the Bulls except for their expiring contracts.

The Bulls were involved in the Gasol trade indirectly.* LA then approached Memphis knowing that Memphis needed relief in the cap space, Gasol wanted out and they were willing to overpay in terms of draft choices.* The owner of Memphis, Heisley, lives in St. Charles Illinois, a suburbs of Chicago.* He accepted the expiring contracts and the draft choices because the Bulls would not include Gordon or Deng as part of the trade offer that included the likes of Nocioni, Thomas and the draft choice that turned out to be Noah plus the expiring contracts of PJ Brown and Mike Sweetney.* The Bulls also would have to pay the league a luxury tax which they did not want to do.

Who made the right move, Memphis, Lakers or Bulls?* *

The recent trades may spur other teams to bolster their roster to counter the moves of Phoenix and LA. Will Dallas pull the trigger on Jason Kidd and overpay? Will O'Neill of Indiana find another home? LeBron is pushing Cleveland to make trades but nobody wants to accept the expensive contracts of the Cleveland players being traded by Cleveland.

erichubert
02-08-2008, 11:44 AM
The Lakers get the highest grade in that scenario, they upgraded their potential recruit from Ben Wallace to Pau Gasol while keeping their core together. I don't think Ben would be of any help to the Lakers, he has really aged a lot the past year and his defense and rebounding is not like what they used to be.

Memphis gets a grade of B/C. If you look at it, they are really just dumping salaries before their owners sell the team. But still they could have gotten more in return from other teams, I don't think the Bulls and the Lakers were the only teams in the market for Gasol. Considering the asking price of 2 draft picks, expiring contracts and a young player with potential, I am sure they could have gotten more. Heck I think they should have asked for Marion and fillers for Gasol and they would have done better.

Chicago gets the flunking mark, they know that there season is going no where fast, even if they make the play-offs do they really think that this core can beat Boston, Detroit or Cleveland? Highly doubtful. They should have rolled the dice with Kwame and his expiring deal or tried getting Gasol to give them a post presence they sorely need.

dark_seid
02-08-2008, 12:32 PM
(assuming good health to all)

so are boston fans happy? because there's an arms race over the west which would mean a tough tough road for any potential western conference champion to get out of. only to find the east champ waiting in the finals fresher mentally and probably physically.

i like detroit but they have always found an excuse to lose. while the king in a 7-game series is a handful, the supporting cast is playing poorly compared to last year's east champion squad.

erichubert
02-08-2008, 01:51 PM
that's the biggest injustice of all, eastern teams get an easier time to get to the play-offs and advance to the finals. It's really basically a 3 corner race between the Celts, Pistons and Cavs the way I see it. In the first round, they really get an easy opponent unlike in the West where the teams can't afford to have an off-series or they would be booted out. That is also the reason why the Eastern finalist has a strong chance of beating the West champions. Sort of like how McCain will look fresher when the national campaign comes because he is sitting pretty right now while Clinton and Obama slug it out.

mighty_lion
02-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Sam Cassel is looking forward for a buyout with the Clippers soon. Cassel is hoping for another team up with KG in Boston.

tigerman
02-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Don't underestimate Orlando. They might just sneak in and spoil the projected 3-way corner fight in the East between Detroit, Cavs and Boston.
The difference in this year's Magic team is Coach Van Gundy. We can't also take for granted Turkoglu's improvement and the maturity of the manchild.

By the way, Cleveland will no longer have road games against the West. This can help them jack up their win-loss card.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

dark_seid
02-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Don't underestimate Orlando. They might just sneak in and spoil the projected 3-way corner fight in the East between Detroit, Cavs and Boston.
The difference in this year's Magic team is Coach Van Gundy. We can't also take for granted Turkoglu's improvement and the maturity of the manchild.

problem is ... they simply CANNOT get the ball to the man-child. so it is all hedo pounding the ball with the clock going down and launching a fade away 18 footer.

mighty_lion
02-08-2008, 06:19 PM

problem is ... they simply CANNOT get the ball to the man-child. so it is all hedo pounding the ball with the clock going down and launching a fade away 18 footer.

True. Dwights stats had fallen incredibly since December. Nachecheck yong laro ng Orlando. If they can just pull out Jason Kidd out there that will help them a lot come playoff.

CM_Punk
02-08-2008, 09:41 PM
I can just imagine the Lakers and the Suns meeting in the playoffs later this year- Kobe vs. Shaq, baby!* ;D

Looking at all the good teams from the West this year, it would be hard to predict who will get the chance to play in the NBA Finals. The talent level out West is really strong the past few years.

erichubert
02-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Orlando is good, but you could sense that they are just not in the elite level yet, they are very inconsistent specially at home. They seem to play better on the road.

Cleveland doesn't have road games against the West teams anymore? Wow that is big, I think they will get the 3rd seed eventually as long as they don't get hurt by more injuries.

joelex
02-09-2008, 10:13 AM
orlando has good players but they dont have big time clutch performers who would take over in the clutch just yet. Turkoglu is the closest but i dont think he can carry the team on his back, he isnt even an all star.

i think the spurs will make a strong 2nd half push but as history tells us they will lack the killer instinct or the desire to go for back to back that has eluded them the past decade which differentiates them from the true dynastises we have seen in the Bulls, Lakers and Celtics. I get a feeling that Duncan isnt much of a leader and doesnt have the heart compared to the Jordans Oneals and Olajuwons of the world. The Spurs get their energy mostly from their backcourt duo of ginobili and parker.

erichubert
02-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Its hard to bet against the Spurs because they are 4 time champions but if I have a gut feel that they won't win it this year, I don't think the present make-up of Dallas is good enough too. Dirk has choked every time and I don't find a reason why he won't choke again. They should really try to get Kidd. It is really a fascinating situation in the NBA, there are a lot of good, deep teams, and for the first time in a long while we can truly say there is no true front runners for the championship.

dark_seid
02-13-2008, 02:06 PM
any of you guys heard about ...
"coach Gregg Popovich reacted to the Gasol trade by saying there should be a committee with the power to veto NBA trades that make no sense. Mark Cuban later seconded the motion."

i wonder why :)

mighty_lion
02-13-2008, 02:14 PM
I do. Unfair nga naman kahit saan mo tingnan.

erichubert
02-13-2008, 02:20 PM
Yes, I read about that tirade of Popovich, Mark Cuban seconded the motion. I find it so amusing, the two guys are obviously sour graping, I think they can taste the bitterness of their impending defeat maybe not this year but eventually. Because the trade really makes the Lakers strong in the long run, with a young core and developing players. I could see them, New Orleans, Utah and Portland eventually being the contenders in the next few years.

As for a Popovich trade committee, I don't think its necessary, I think in the NBA, the GMs are knowledgeable people who makes trades with the genuine concern for the well-being of their franchise. What Popovich is implying is that teams have maliscious intentions in getting into trades with other teams and I don't think that is true. Memphis needed to unload contracts and get under the salary cap, they certainly did that with this trade, whether they got the best possible deal or not though is another story.

Nike Air
02-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Sorry but I don't agree with the committee thing being proposed by Popovich. I also see sourgraping on his tirade. E di kung ganun lang din pala usapan, maghanap din siya ng maloloko niya na team wherein he could get a lopsided deal to strengthen his team.

The trade always takes two to tango and just like what erichubert had said, with consent naman ang mga trades e between the two parties, so what's the problem about that? Kung naiinggit ka and you feel threatened, then go ahead and pull off another lopsided trade. In the end, it will all boil down to the character of the GM if one GM keeps on giving out his marquee players and getting a not-so-good commodity in return.

Wala naman sa batas ng NBA na nagbabawal sa ganitong gawain.

joelex
02-13-2008, 05:46 PM
gayahin na lang nila PBA, may RTL ;D

dark_seid
02-13-2008, 09:13 PM
Shaq in all his wittiness after Bill Walton questioned the trade

"Bill Russell is the president and CEO. He'll be there. Kareem (Abdul-Jabbar) is second. Me and Tim Duncan, we're third, because we have four each. The great Wilt Chamberlain, because of what he's done, is second. So everybody else is under me when it comes to pecking order. Him talking about me is like the owner of Atari talking about Bill Gates. Can't do it. Pecking order rules."

I wonder if ESPN or ABC or whoever is doing the playoff telecast in the near future can get the Diesel AND Sir Charles to do halftime or post/pre-game color commentary or analysis. Political correctness gets thrown out the window.

Pecking order rules ... ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D

CM_Punk
02-13-2008, 09:24 PM
What's the next Phoenix game being shown on BTV? I wanna see the Big Diesel in action once he suits up for the Suns after his injury. With Nash, Shaq, and Grant Hill all in their mid-30's, Phoenix is hoping that these players still have it in them for a long championship run this year.

mighty_lion
02-13-2008, 10:14 PM
^ Lately 2 or 3 Phoenix Suns game per month na lang pinapalabas ng BTV. :(

MonL
02-13-2008, 11:55 PM
Sorry but I don't agree with the committee thing being proposed by Popovich.* I also see sourgraping on his tirade.* E di kung ganun lang din pala usapan, maghanap din siya ng maloloko niya na team wherein he could get a lopsided deal to strengthen his team.*

The trade always takes two to tango and just like what erichubert had said, with consent naman ang mga trades e between the two parties, so what's the problem about that?* Kung naiinggit ka and you feel threatened, then go ahead and pull off another lopsided trade.* In the end, it will all boil down to the character of the GM if one GM keeps on giving out his marquee players and getting a not-so-good commodity in return.

Wala naman sa batas ng NBA na nagbabawal sa ganitong gawain.

The problem is whether or not owners know what they are doing. Bad deals give the NBA a black eye.

Intervention by the NBA already had a precedent.

One of the most dreaded phrases uttered to a player in the early eighties was: "You're being shipped to Cleveland."* ;D

To delve more on a previous post,* Ted Stepien's time owning the Cleveland franchise saw the Cavs as probably the worst managed club in pro basketball. His highlight deal was trading the #1 overall pick in 1982 (who turned out to be James Worthy) for Lakers marginal forward Don Ford a year before.* His questionable deals in 1981 for marginal talent gave Cleveland no 1st round draft picks until 1987. Hence the existence of the so-called 'Stepien Rule' instituted by the NBA which prevents the trades of 1st round draft picks in consecutive years.*

He meddled with Cavs coach Chuck Daly and fired him in a fit of impatience for playoff action. Daly hadn't yet gotten rid of the losing mindset of the team. He also let go of Bill Laimbeer and James "Buddha" Edwards, among others, vital pieces for future championship teams (elsewhere, unfortunately).

A fool and his* money are soon parted, so to speak. Cavs went 66-180 during his ownerhip years, had five coaches and lost a ton of money. The best deal he made was to sell the team years later.

john_paul_manahan
02-14-2008, 04:50 AM
here is an update long overdue:

The Nets have agreed in principle to send Jason Kidd to the Mavericks, although final trade details are being worked out. The proposed swap would send Devin Harris, Jerry Stackhouse and other players plus cash to New Jersey.

taken from espn.com

mighty_lion
02-14-2008, 08:50 AM
Kidd for Harris and fillers is a done deal already. Paperworks na lang.

West teams are getting crazy as of late. Who's next? ;D

erichubert
02-14-2008, 09:33 AM
I can just imagine Popovich's face when he heard about that trade. Kidd for Harris and fillers seem like as lopsided as the Gasol deal. Sure they got a young player in Harris but the trade is basically a salary dump for the Nets too.

mighty_lion
02-14-2008, 09:51 AM
Actually parang lugi yong Dallas. Harris, Stackhouse and Diop are all valuable role players for Dallas. Si Harris lang ang consistent na sumugod sa gitna para sa Dallas. Kidd is no doubt the type of PG that every teams would like to have but Dallas has no dunkers nor bigmen who likes attacking the ring. My point is Dallas given up too much on this trade just to acquire someone who will feed thier perimeter players the ball. Who is going to defend Shaq and Amare? Bynum and Gasol? West and Chandler? Duncan and ... nevermind?

There are rumors out there that Nets will buy-out Stackhouse after the trade and then will be resigned by Dallas. Dito dapat magwala si Popovich.

Pasensya na kung medyo negative yong iba, point of view from a Suns fanatic. ;D

tigerman
02-14-2008, 10:16 AM
The Jason Kidd era is over in meadowlands. Just when I thought Mr. Thorn won't pull the trigger on Kidd until the end of the season.

Thanks J-Kidd and good luck.

While the Nets would surely miss Kidd's contributions, the combination of Harris and Marcus Williams is something to look forward to for New Jersey.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

cub
02-14-2008, 10:19 AM
actually, i think this is a good trade for Dallas. they feel that this is their chance para magchampion. Terry can slash to the hoop. Josh Howard too, and he can finish strong. now, who will defend the bigs? you have Dampier. they also have an underrated powerforward in Bass and Allen. Antoine Wright can give help the Mavs in scoring too. so its a pretty good trade for the mavs. but if we are talking on a long term basis, the Suns and Mavs trade really sucks. :)

mighty_lion
02-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Reports had it that George exercised his right to block the trade.

tigerman
02-14-2008, 10:23 AM
Ano ba talaga kuya?

Deal or no deal?

http://www.netsdaily.com/?p=5527

And why give that no trade clause to George?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

reforms
02-14-2008, 10:29 AM
i'm really curious to see the diesel wear that purple and orange uniform and what he can do on the floor. with a new system, he looks energized (just like grant hill) i don't know, but i have a good feeling about it.

might work for them in the playoffs. a MAKE or BREAK deal indeed. this must work for them this year or else... they're not getting any younger- nash, hill, shaq.

and i can't see shaq playing produtive basketball for the coming years. sabi nga ni GM steve kerr regarding the trade, "i'm a genius if it works out, and i'm a moron if it doesn't

sana talaga mag-work. (fingers crossed)

erichubert
02-14-2008, 11:09 AM
In the short term, these moves by the Suns and the Mavs can be seen as negative or positive at the same time, I personally think it could benefit them specially in the play-offs. But a couple of years down the road, I doubt they would love these trades.

Bottom line is Dallas and Phoenix better win now asap, because as time passes and their core age more and more, the hungry Lakers, Hornets, Blazers and Jazz would pass them and be the new leaders out in the Wild West.

joelex
02-14-2008, 11:33 AM
they might suffe the same fate as sacramento 2000-2003. couldnt get past mighty lakers.

erichubert
02-14-2008, 11:55 AM
they might suffe the same fate as sacramento 2000-2003. couldnt get past mighty lakers.

As a lifetime Laker Fan, I certainly hope that is the case. But right now, the West is so strong and deep that I don't think any team can dominate for a long period of time.

CM_Punk
02-14-2008, 07:54 PM
While the Nets would surely miss Kidd's contributions, the combination of Harris and Marcus Williams is something to look forward to for New Jersey.

I was a big fan of Marcus Williams (and Rudy Gay) on that talented UConn team in the Big East a few years ago, so I'm excited to see him finally get a shot at becoming a starting point guard in the NBA. While Devin Harris is more experienced, he's more of a scorer and slasher type, and Marcus has the role of the traditional passer. Besides Deron in Utah, It's time for the other PG Williams to shine in the league* ;)

tigerman
02-14-2008, 09:55 PM
^ You forgot to mention Josh Boone. ;D

Now back to the Jason Kidd topic.

One must notice the lack of "athletes" in the Mavs' roster. Not to take anything away from Kidd's legacy but majority of his career, he had athletic players to pass the ball to (e.g. McDyess, Marion, Martin, Jefferson, Carter etc.). So I wonder how J-Kidd can fit in the style of Dallas.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

mighty_lion
02-14-2008, 10:08 PM
^ Dallas has Erica Dampier. ;D

dark_seid
02-14-2008, 10:21 PM
One must notice the lack of "athletes" in the Mavs' roster. Not to take anything away from Kidd's legacy but majority of his career, he had athletic players to pass the ball to (e.g. McDyess, Marion, Martin, Jefferson, Carter etc.). So I wonder how J-Kidd can fit in the style of Dallas.

they could go to the pick and pop ala dirk and nash (of dallas circa 2003). this gives dirk a chance to shed the physical defense that has stymied his effectiveness this year. this time dirk, the reigning mvp, can add rolling to the basket and possibly get freebies from the line.

the biggest question really is how they plan to match up against spurs, specifically tim, in the playoffs with only 1 legitimate big body. remember that it is all about match-ups come playoff time. if tim (with plantar something in 2006) was still able to do things against dampier and diop, imagine how much damage he'll be able to do with only dampier. and oh, i forgot, who checks tony parker now? the only guy who regularly gives tony parker fits with his defense is harris.

of course, it is again about match-ups. if lakers take out spurs, then mavs are better off. as cuban said in his blog, it's such an exciting time to be an nba fan because the race in the west is so tight even before the all-star break.

CM_Punk
02-15-2008, 08:16 AM
^ You forgot to mention Josh Boone. ;D

Well, I know Boone was on that UConn team, but I was never really sold on him becoming a starter in the NBA, unlike Gay and Williams who I was sure would make an impact. But yes, Boone has turned out to be a solid player for the thin front court of NJ as well. 6 players from that 2004 UConn championship team are currently in the NBA- Okafor, Gordon, Villanueva, Boone, Armstrong, and Williams (but he was suspended during the 2nd half of that year, I think, and did not play in the NCAA tournament).

mighty_lion
02-15-2008, 09:18 AM
I read in other forums that Shaq is not only doing well in practice and has far exceeded Phoenix medical and training staff's expectations. Likewise, Shaq is very happy about the methodology and rehab procedures being given to him. The same training and rehab procedures Phoenix is doing for Steve Nash and Grant Hill. If Grant is playing ball just like what he had during his pre-injury seasons its reasonable to expect the same for Shaq. Besides, when Phoenix signed Grant last offseason they are just expecting Hill to play 20+ minutes for the Suns given the running system. So far Grant is playing 30+ minutes this season and never missed a single game except when he had an appendectomy procedures last month. This is something a lot of Shaq trade critics forgot to include in thier analysis.

Shaq will be back kicking balls!

Again, from a Suns homer. 8)

erichubert
02-15-2008, 11:01 AM
I must agree that Phoenix has the best training and medical staff in the NBA. I think this would help their aging players a lot but I think a big reason why Grant Hill has been healthy so far is the presence of Marion who took the responsibility of defending the big guns of the opposing team. Now that Hill needs to exert more effort on defense, let us see if his body could hold up.

char11
02-15-2008, 12:20 PM
Regarding O'neal's trade to the Suns. I'm not a Suns fan, but I wouldn't have minded it if they won the NBA championship with their small ball, running game. In fact, I seriously would've been happy for Grant Hill because he's one of those veterans who deserve to have a ring in his finger along with Kevin Garnett. But with that Shaq trade, I think they sold their soul to the devil. I feel bad for D'antoni cause this was like a big slap to his face, telling him that his coaching philosophy sucked when in fact it didn't. I personally believed that the one thing the Suns lacked to go all the way was not a post player but mental toughness. The Spurs knew that, Robert Horry acted on that (remember the hip check on Nash) so they tried to out-psyche the Suns by being physical with them. After overcoming that hurdle I think they could've won the championship. So if ever they win the championship this year because of that mercenary they call Shaq and their new offense, I don't think it would be as sweet as it would be if they did it with their running game.

Well if by any miracle they can make Shaq work hard(for the first time in his life) and let him adapt to the running game and not slow it down. Then that would be another story. hahaha

On the upside, it would be amusing to see Horry try to do that hip check on Nash when he'll have 330 lb monster who'll be there for the retaliation. ;D

MonL
02-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Regarding O'neal's trade to the Suns. I'm not a Suns fan, but I wouldn't have minded it if they won the NBA championship with their small ball, running game. In fact, I seriously would've been happy for Grant Hill because he's one of those veterans who deserve to have a ring in his finger along with Kevin Garnett. But with that Shaq trade, I think they sold their soul to the devil. I feel bad for D'antoni cause this was like a big slap to his face, telling him that his coaching philosophy sucked when in fact it didn't. I personally believed that the one thing the Suns lacked to go all the way was not a post player but mental toughness. The Spurs knew that, Robert Horry acted on that (remember the hip check on Nash) so they tried to out-psyche the Suns by being physical with them. After overcoming that hurdle I think they could've won the championship. So if ever they win the championship this year because of that mercenary they call Shaq and their new offense, I don't think it would be as sweet as it would be if they did it with their running game.

Well if by any miracle they can make Shaq work hard(for the first time in his life) and let him adapt to the running game and not slow it down. Then that would be another story. hahaha

On the upside, it would be amusing to see Horry try to do that hip check on Nash when he'll have 330 lb monster who'll be there for the retaliation.* ;D

Bottomline, everything is swept under the rug once you win that championship.

Jerry West and Wilt Chamberlain's greatness didnt have an asterisk because they played their prime in an era dominated by the Boston Celtics, and won later on when that era was over. West even said something to the effect that Wilt got a bad rap by not winning enough championships inspite of his personal stats, and that he would only rank second "behind the great Jerry West."

If it succeeds, Shaq's situation would be a repeat of Wilt's case, a dominant player past his prime performing a specific* but vital role on a star studded team.

The end justifies the means.*

erichubert
02-15-2008, 01:45 PM
It has been reported that Kobe suffered a torn ligament in his pinkie and needs surgery but he is choosing not to. Right now, I don't know what is the best thing to do if I were in his situation. He would be out 6 weeks if decides to have the surgery and in the West that is big, they might slide all the way out of the playoffs if that happens. If that happens Memphis would be the happiest team in the world because they will get 2 lottery picks.

And speaking about trainers and medical staff, maybe the Lakers need to look at their current trainers, I mean they have been the most injury-prone team the past two seasons and they have made all kinds of errors in their diagnosis and handling of injuries. Kobe's injury was supposed to be a dislocated finger and now they found out that it was worse than that afterall. Also the Lakers are the team with most sprain ankle injuries the past few years and see what happened to Chris Mihm after spraining his ankle. Maybe they need to see how they are taping their players.

dark_seid
02-15-2008, 02:53 PM

On the upside, it would be amusing to see Horry try to do that hip check on Nash when he'll have 330 lb monster who'll be there for the retaliation. ;D

nah, 2 things. one, shaq is old-school. that hip check by horry is just a normal playoff foul. nash flopped to make it worth more than it was. two, shaq has always kept himself in check. he only dishes as much as he receives, but never to hurt another player (ostertag notwithstanding). remember how he made sure travis best (2000 finals) was not gonna get hurt. he understands his capabilities.

mighty_lion
02-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Me bago nanamang trade. Bibby to Atlanta for Shelden Williams, Anthony Johnson, Lue and Lorenzen Wright.

cub
02-17-2008, 11:58 AM
good trade for the Hawks. they got a good PG in the person of Mike Bibby. now, they can forget what they did in the 2005 NBA draft where they drafted Marvin Williams instead of Chris Paul, Deron Williams and Raymond Felton. the Hawks are now a playoff team in my opinion and can be #6 or #7 seed easily.

on the other side, it is a bad trade for the Kings. atleast for me. they are having a good job with the starting 5 of Bibby, Martin, Artest, Moore and Miller, so why trade Bibby? now, they will have a sub par PG in Anthony Johnson or shall i call him Antoiny Ohnson simply because he has no J. ;D :P

bydpogi
02-17-2008, 01:08 PM
good trade for both teams, Udrih will rise given more playing time in Sactown plus they get a quality back up forward in shelden williams, and for the Hawks, they will have a legit point guard that will guide them to the playoffs

char11
02-17-2008, 02:32 PM
Bottomline, everything is swept under the rug once you win that championship.

Jerry West and Wilt Chamberlain's greatness didnt have an asterisk because they played their prime in an era dominated by the Boston Celtics, and won later on when that era was over. West even said something to the effect that Wilt got a bad rap by not winning enough championships inspite of his personal stats, and that he would only rank second "behind the great Jerry West."

If it succeeds, Shaq's situation would be a repeat of Wilt's case, a dominant player past his prime performing a specific but vital role on a star studded team.

The end justifies the means.

Personal tastes aside, that's what makes this season so interesting 'cause most of the teams that are capable, are doing everything they can to get to the finals and win it all. This year's level of competitiveness have gone up a few notches compared to a couple of seasons back and that's good for everyone who's into the game. ;D

mighty_lion
02-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Sactown was all about the expirings that they will get from Bibby trade. Anthony Johnson, Tyron Lue and Lorenzen Wright are expiring contracts worth $10 million. That will save them a lot of money next year specially when Kevin Martins new contract will be on. Shelden Williams is off course a prospect to develop for the Kings.

Udrih without a doubt will be the primary point guard for Sacramento not only this season but for the years to come. Cheaper than what they have in Bibby's contract.

mighty_lion
02-17-2008, 03:06 PM

If Suns is on the East undoubtedly they should have been to the finals since comeback to Phoenix. Kerr pulled the trigger as counter to Gasol Trade. No way Suns will be able to beat the Lakers by mere running faster, shooting better and playing smarter. They need a big who can defend the paint and keep Amare out of foul trouble. Marion is one of my favorite player but in a way overated. He may be the best in the leauge in guarding anyone from point guard to center but he is no lockdown defender.

char11
02-17-2008, 03:31 PM
If Suns is on the East undoubtedly they should have been to the finals since comeback to Phoenix. Kerr pulled the trigger as counter to Gasol Trade. No way Suns will be able to beat the Lakers by mere running faster, shooting better and playing smarter. They need a big who can defend the paint and keep Amare out of foul trouble. Marion is one of my favorite player but in a way overated. He may be the best in the leauge in guarding anyone from point guard to center but he is no lockdown defender.

In a way that's the gamble they made. Cause we're not yet sure how effective that Shaq trade would be. At least in the other trades (i.e. Gasol to Lakers) there was no revamp to the playing style of the teams. We'll just have to wait and see how Shaq would be used. In fairness to a marion-less Suns, in their game against the Mavs, they showed that their scoring hasn't slowed down in spite of marion not being there. The big question would be if they will improve defensively with Shaq.

coreytaylor
02-17-2008, 08:20 PM
oh yeah! Atlanta First 5:
PG - Mike Bibby
SG - Joe Johnson
SF - Josh Smith
PF - Marvin Williams
C - Al Horford

not bad at all! good see Atlanta not a spanking team anymore! damn i luv it!

mighty_lion
02-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Maganda ang laban bukas, Suns vs. Lakers. Debut ni Shaq Daddy este, "The Big Cactus" na daw sya ngayon. ;D

cub
02-19-2008, 09:50 PM
^^ the game will be held on friday pa..

ATL vs. LAL muna. :D

flsfnoeraekadad
02-19-2008, 10:28 PM
^^ the game will be held on friday pa..

ATL vs. LAL muna. :D

Sir, thursday ang laban. Back to back ang Lakers. ;D