PDA

View Full Version : The 2007-08 NBA Season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]

The_Big_Cat
05-31-2008, 12:27 PM
I would guess on the Boston defense:

Pierce/Posey/Tony Allen on Bryant with ocassional double teams.
Allen on Radmanovic.
Garnett on Odom.
Perkins on Gasol.
Rondo on Fisher.

Lakers defense:

Odom/Turiaf on Garnett.
Radmanovic/Walton on Pierce.
Bryant on Allen.
Gasol on Perkins.
Rondo on Fish.

Dark Knight
05-31-2008, 12:30 PM
Lakers looks stronger than Boston.

IMO, the only way Celtics can win the title is by protecting their homecourt.

stonecold316
05-31-2008, 12:32 PM
What is it with people and time?

So what if Lakers lost during the time of Chamberlain? Does it mean that Bryant and co are better than the LA of Chamberlain?

Tumpak!
:D :D :D

stonecold316

Ill go for a single Wilt Chamberlain than a million Bryant. ;D

Sige, buhayin mo bangkay niya.
;D ;D ;D

stonecold316

flsfnoeraekadad
05-31-2008, 12:34 PM
Dilemma ngayon kung sinong babantay kay KG but I guess LO is the better guy to defend KG because KG is more finesse than power, and LO is quicker than Pau.

Vlad is on Jesus (I think) and Kobe might guard PP because PP will just torch Radman.

PS. Hanep si stonecold316 a. Enjoy na enjoy ang pagiging fan. 8)

The_Big_Cat
05-31-2008, 12:36 PM
Lakers looks stronger than Boston.

IMO, the only way Celtics can win the title is by protecting their homecourt.

Yes I agree. Boston was 35-6 on the regular season and 11-1 this post season.
The Lakers are 8-0 on their home floor this post season.

This will be fun to watch.

tigerman
05-31-2008, 12:36 PM
also, the Pistons should trade either Rip or Sheed. Rip because he is just a jump shooter (mediocre defense and Sheed because he's getting older and older). Trade one of them for a true big man with good post moves.

I have to disagree with you here. I don't see Joe Dumars trading the backcourt duo of Chauncey and Rip. If he decides to break the core, Sheed is the dispensable guy.

:Re Rip being a mere jumpshooter - I'm not a Rip fan but I've seen the development of his game from being just a shooter to expanding his offensive moves (floaters, drive off-the-dribble, post-up). While his defense is not exactly in the same level as like Kobe or Bowen, calling it mediocre is an exaggeration.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

The_Big_Cat
05-31-2008, 12:39 PM
Dilemma ngayon kung sinong babantay kay KG but I guess LO is the better guy to defend KG because KG is more finesse than power, and LO is quicker than Pau.

Vlad is on Jesus (I think) and Kobe might guard PP because PP will just torch Radman.

Maybe, both teams could adjust their starting lineups? Let Posey and Walton start so as not to tire out Pierce and Bryant on the defensive side and let Radmanovic and Allen come off the bench.

flsfnoeraekadad
05-31-2008, 12:44 PM
LA also has the best road record in the playoffs, if the Celts want to back-track.

MonL
05-31-2008, 02:03 PM
The Lakers will be playing in the finals for the 23rd time since moving from Minneapolis to Los Angeles in 1961 and the 29th time overall. They have won 14 championships — nine in Los Angeles and five in Minneapolis.

Simply dominating.

stonecold316

Still they are second to a certain eastern city in terms of total championships with 16 including eight straight, and winning percentage,* 16 in 19 trips.

They also are tops all time as losing NBA finalists with 13, 1 in Minneapolis and 12 in L.A.(8 courtesy of you-know-who) ;D

Someone else simply is better.* :)

Boston was only good up to 1986, After that they were trash. Anyway, congrats Boston fans for entering the Finals. Enjoy lang kayo kasi after ng NBA Finals, LA ang may hawak ng korona!

By the way:

Yes, mas maraming korona ang Boston compared to LA pero panahon pa ni Bird ang last championship nila and this was in 1986. LA, on the other hand, has 29 Finals appearances while Boston only has 20. Percentage wise, mas mataas ang record ng LA when it comes to winning. When was the last time na hindi nakapasok ang LA sa playoffs? Eh Boston?* Panay kulelet diba? Ainge had to push the panic buttom to sign Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett before the start of the season.

Fact rin na 8-2 ang Boston sa head-to-head match-up nila sa LA sa Finals pero yung eight na yun eh panahon pa ni Bill Russel at ni Wilt Chamberlain. Ngayon, its Kobe Bryant's time na patunayan na mas magaling ang LA compared to Boston.

The big three of Kobe, Gasol ang Odom will do the job for them.

LA, Beat Boston!

stonecold316

29 Finals appearances mean nothing if you dont win most of them.*Unless, you are just a sucker for punishment. :D :D :D

Wilt Chamberlain became a Laker in 1969, already an 11-year pro, and added to the offense that also came by way of Hall of Famers Jerry West, Elgin Baylor and Gail Goodrich. Wilt in his prime played for the* Philadelphia 76ers, and his famed battles with Russell were in the Eastern Conference. The Lakers took him in as a quick fix precisely because Boston was so dominant in the middle at that time, and they had absolutely no one to counter Russell. Russell faced Wilt as a Laker in the finals only in 1969, and LA lost, just the same. ;D
Pushing the Panic Button? Someone in the West did it first.* And they won only in 1972, long after Russell had retired, and Wilt becoming more of a solid support than the main man.;D ;D ;D

Enough of history.

All the regular season records, playoff trends are now thrown out the window. No holds barred na ito. Couldn't ask for more.

Boston fans here being fair weather fans? You are barking at the wrong tree.

We are loyal and ecstatic, though not undignifyingly spillover exuberant. :D

Winning percentage? That's nothing if you fail to win it all. And winning it all is what matters, bottomline.

And may we be rewarded for our patience.

Hoist high Banner # 17!!! ;D

Dark Knight
05-31-2008, 02:19 PM
Yeah! Go tell 'em MonL.

The_Big_Cat
05-31-2008, 02:33 PM
6 is the jersey number of Boston great, Bill Russell.
The Celtics will beat the Lakers in 6. ;)

marmand
05-31-2008, 03:05 PM
^ Yup. Celtics in 6. KG, Paul and Ray finally get their rings. Bad thing is that the East will be the champs again. I was hoping for the west to take it but the Celtics are just too strong.

marmand
05-31-2008, 03:10 PM
The revival of the Chant BEAT LA. ;D ( After 23 years )

batangueño
05-31-2008, 03:46 PM
Congratulations to the Boston Celtics, 2008 NBA Eastern Conference Champions! :)

Finally, the stage is set for the most anticipated basketball event this year: the 2008 NBA Finals between the Boston Celtics and the Los Angeles Lakers.

Natupad na din ang dream match-up! ;D

nash_bedista
05-31-2008, 04:06 PM
I should say

"KOBE WINS GAME, BIG THREE WINS CHAMPIONSHIP" ;D

batangueño
05-31-2008, 04:21 PM
I should say

"KOBE WINS GAME, BIG THREE WINS CHAMPIONSHIP" ;D

Ibig sabihin ba nyan, Kabayan, ay isa ka din sa mga sisigaw ng "Beat LA!"? ;D

cub
05-31-2008, 05:04 PM
^ Yup. Celtics in 6. KG, Paul and Ray finally get their rings. Bad thing is that the East will be the champs again. I was hoping for the west to take it but the Celtics are just too strong.

well for some time now, this has been the trend. after a San Antonio championship since '03, expect an East team to win it all.

2003=Spurs
2004=Pistons
2005=Spurs
2006=Heat
2007=Spurs
2008=?? ;D

coreytaylor
05-31-2008, 06:15 PM
my money is on boston baby!

The_Big_Cat
05-31-2008, 07:32 PM
Boston, after a couple of game 7 series in the East has the time to rest for at least 6 days before the "big dance".
It will be a much needed rest since they are the older team than LA.

Raging Blue
05-31-2008, 08:07 PM
I will keep my post simple:

BEAT LA!

BEAT LA!

BEAT LA!

BEAT LA!

- the number of times the Celtics will win over the Lakers in the NBA 2007-08 Finals

marmand
05-31-2008, 09:55 PM
It would be nice if they can have the Celtics and Lakers of 85 introduced before game 1 or during halftime. Adding some spice to a renewed rivalry. ;D

Dark Knight
05-31-2008, 10:33 PM
great idea marmand. Just like what the UAAP did during the 2001 UAAP Fianls between Ateneo and La Salle. I just cant remember if the following players are already playing for their respective teams in 1985.

Lakers

Jabbar C
Johnson PG
Worthy PF
Scott OF
Green SF

Coach Pat Riley

Celtics

Parish C
Bird SF
Johnson PG
Ainge OG
McHale PF

Coach KC Jones

MonL
05-31-2008, 10:51 PM
great idea marmand. Just like what the UAAP did during the 2001 UAAP Fianls between Ateneo and La Salle.* I just cant remember if the following players are already playing for their respective teams in 1985.

Lakers

Jabbar C
Johnson PG
Worthy PF
Scott OF
Green SF

Coach Pat Riley

Celtics

Parish C
Bird SF
Johnson PG
Ainge OG
McHale PF

Coach KC Jones

Wag kalimutan si Kurt Rambis, Jamaal Wilkes, Michael Cooper at Bob McAdoo sa Lakers, at si Gerald Henderson, Cedric Maxwell, Greg Kite :D at Bill Walton ng Celtics* na lumaban nung* '84, '85 at '87.

Dark Knight
05-31-2008, 10:55 PM
Lakers Luke Walton is the son of Bill Walton right? How ironic. :D

MonL
05-31-2008, 11:10 PM
Lakers Luke Walton is the son of Bill Walton right? How ironic.* :D

Yup. And Bill was Sixth Man of the Year in his first and best year as a Celtic in 1986 when they won against Houston's Twin Towers in the Finals. He wore jersey No. 5 then.

pablohoney
05-31-2008, 11:23 PM
Whew.
Just finished backreading, and I must say parang may bagyo. ;D ;D ;D
First time ko lang magawi dito :D.

So it's going to be a Celtics-Lakers Finals.
Last time this has happened was in '87, I was still in GS then. ;)
My memories of this particular series is as fuzzy as our FEN reception, then. ;D

Anyway, gusto ko lang sabihin:

BEAT L.A.
BEAT L.A.
BEAT L.A.

----------------
I agree with the Posey steal off Prince as the key point of the game.
Very uncharacteristic of him (or for a Pistons) to commit that kind of error.
Anyway, sa body language niya earlier parang pagod na siya/sila.
Though I still feel Rasheed should have been given another Technical Foul for excessively complaining to the refs.
And the possible 4-point play of Pierce should have been the correct call instead of him (Pierce) being called for an offensive foul. Hell, Billups has been doing it all game long.

Ah anyway panalo naman so ok lang. lol

Feeling ko hindi aabot sa Game 7 ang Finals.
Swerte na kapag Game 6.
Either my Celtics win it in 5 games or (God forbid) Lakers in 5 or 6 games.

Afterthought:
Kendrick Perkins looks like an American Indian.
Do I see a ala-"Chief" reincarnation?
Possible if he plays as he did in Game 5. ;D

stonecold316
06-01-2008, 12:40 AM
You can chant all you want but the fact still remains that LA will beat the hell out of Boston.

Asa pa kayo.
;D ;D ;D

stonecold316

MonL
06-01-2008, 01:40 AM
^"Parang?" ;D

Whew.
Just finished backreading, and I must say parang may bagyo. ;D* ;D* ;D

MonL
06-01-2008, 01:47 AM
Lakers Luke Walton is the son of Bill Walton right? How ironic.* :D

I believe they are estranged from each other.

But I am not really sure if before or after Luke went to LA.* :D

pablohoney
06-01-2008, 02:37 AM
Lakers Luke Walton is the son of Bill Walton right? How ironic. :D

I believe they are estranged from each other.

But I am not really sure if before or after Luke went to LA. :D

Hehe ;)

Speaking of Bill Walton, I heard he is/was an advocate for the preservation of the habitat of the endangered Philippine Eagle, and he even went to Manila.

Sorry OffTopic.

Now back to regular programming:

BEAT L.A.!

joelex
06-01-2008, 08:48 AM

KG has had problems with physical big men who would push him out of the paint, i.e., Zaza Pachulia and Anderson Varejao.

Kid Cubao
06-01-2008, 09:18 AM
i would like to see them play the finals in tight jerseys and short shorts ;D it's the 80s all over again!!!

coreytaylor
06-01-2008, 10:51 AM
A position-by-position look at the matchups in the NBA finals between the Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers.
By BRIAN MAHONEY, AP Basketball Write
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news

CENTER: Kendrick Perkins vs. Pau Gasol. The Lakers wouldn’t be here without their midseason acquisition of Gasol from Memphis. He’s a good passer for a big man, making him an excellent fit for the triangle offense, and is shooting 53 percent in the postseason while averaging 17.7 points. Perkins made 61.5 percent of his shots in the regular season and had some strong games in the Eastern Conference finals, including an 18-point, 16-rebound performance in Game 5. Edge: Lakers.

POWER FORWARD: Kevin Garnett vs. Lamar Odom. The Defensive Player of the Year, Garnett increased his offensive production in the conference finals, averaging 22.8 points in Boston’s victory over Detroit. His intensity on both ends of the floor is what makes the Celtics go. The versatile Odom was inconsistent against San Antonio in the Western Conference finals, but rebounded from a poor Game 3 with strong performances in the last two games. Edge: Celtics.

SMALL FORWARD: Paul Pierce vs. Vladimir Radmanovic. Finally in the NBA finals in his 10th year with Boston, Pierce is set to face his hometown team. He has shown in the playoffs he can still be a potent scorer, notably in his 41-point effort to beat Cleveland in Game 7 of the second round, and has become an underrated defender. Radmanovic is a good perimeter shooter who doesn’t do much else, and the Lakers need his jumper to be on to soften a Boston defense that held opponents to the lowest field goal percentage in the league. Edge: Celtics.

SHOOTING GUARD: Ray Allen vs. Kobe Bryant. Allen seemed to break out of his shooting slump in the final two games of the conference finals, averaging 23 points and going 8-of-14 from 3-point range. Bryant, a tenacious defender, will certainly welcome the challenge of trying to get that slump started again. And the league MVP has been at his best in the playoffs, averaging 31.9 points to lead all players in the postseason and shooting 51 percent. Edge: Lakers.

POINT GUARD: Rajon Rondo vs. Derek Fisher. Fisher had a fairly quiet series in the conference finals, but his postseason experience, solid defense and courage to take big shots remain a comfort to the Lakers even when his shot isn’t falling. Rondo’s poor jumper was especially off late in the last round, when he shot 10-of-35 in the final three games. The Lakers will make him beat them from the outside. Edge: Lakers.

RESERVES: James Posey, P.J. Brown, Sam Cassell, Eddie House, Leon Powe, Glen Davis and Tony Allen vs. Sasha Vujacic, Luke Walton, Jordan Farmar, Ronny Turiaf, DJ Mbenga and Trevor Ariza. Posey won a title with Miami two years ago and is a key contributor who will help defend Bryant, but tough to figure out what else to expect from Celtics’ reserves. Minutes greatly fluctuated along with their production for most of them during the postseason. The Lakers counter with a much younger bench that tries to increase the tempo and energy when Bryant is resting. Edge: Lakers.

COACHES: Doc Rivers vs. Phil Jackson. Rivers did a great job molding all the Celtics’ new pieces into a 66-win team. But he’s appeared to lose confidence in some of his role players during the postseason, creating some inconsistent rotations. Jackson, the career leader in postseason victories, did one of his best coaching jobs this season on a team that started with the turmoil surrounding a possible Bryant trade and was never expected to be here. He seeks a 10th title, which would break Red Auerbach’s record. Edge: Lakers.

tigerman
06-01-2008, 11:35 AM
For the first time in 11 years, the East team will have homecourt advantage in the finals. The last team from the east to have it was MJ's Bulls of the 1996-1997 season.

With Boston winning not only once but twice at the Palace of Auburn Hills, I don't see them going winless at Staples. They've solved their road woes.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

tawkytawny
06-01-2008, 02:17 PM
One useless information: The last black coach who won the NBA Championship was K.C. Jones who led the Celtics to their 16th NBA crown. Coach Doc Rivers will try to become the third African-American coach to win a NBA championship.

Hoops McCann
06-01-2008, 02:32 PM
A position-by-position look at the matchups in the NBA finals between the Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers.

CENTER: Kendrick Perkins vs. Pau Gasol. The Lakers wouldn’t be here without their midseason acquisition of Gasol from Memphis. He’s a good passer for a big man, making him an excellent fit for the triangle offense, and is shooting 53 percent in the postseason while averaging 17.7 points. Perkins made 61.5 percent of his shots in the regular season and had some strong games in the Eastern Conference finals, including an 18-point, 16-rebound performance in Game 5. Edge: Lakers.

POWER FORWARD: Kevin Garnett vs. Lamar Odom. The Defensive Player of the Year, Garnett increased his offensive production in the conference finals, averaging 22.8 points in Boston’s victory over Detroit. His intensity on both ends of the floor is what makes the Celtics go. The versatile Odom was inconsistent against San Antonio in the Western Conference finals, but rebounded from a poor Game 3 with strong performances in the last two games. Edge: Celtics.

SMALL FORWARD: Paul Pierce vs. Vladimir Radmanovic. Finally in the NBA finals in his 10th year with Boston, Pierce is set to face his hometown team. He has shown in the playoffs he can still be a potent scorer, notably in his 41-point effort to beat Cleveland in Game 7 of the second round, and has become an underrated defender. Radmanovic is a good perimeter shooter who doesn’t do much else, and the Lakers need his jumper to be on to soften a Boston defense that held opponents to the lowest field goal percentage in the league. Edge: Celtics.

SHOOTING GUARD: Ray Allen vs. Kobe Bryant. Allen seemed to break out of his shooting slump in the final two games of the conference finals, averaging 23 points and going 8-of-14 from 3-point range. Bryant, a tenacious defender, will certainly welcome the challenge of trying to get that slump started again. And the league MVP has been at his best in the playoffs, averaging 31.9 points to lead all players in the postseason and shooting 51 percent. Edge: Lakers.

POINT GUARD: Rajon Rondo vs. Derek Fisher. Fisher had a fairly quiet series in the conference finals, but his postseason experience, solid defense and courage to take big shots remain a comfort to the Lakers even when his shot isn’t falling. Rondo’s poor jumper was especially off late in the last round, when he shot 10-of-35 in the final three games. The Lakers will make him beat them from the outside. Edge: Lakers.

RESERVES: James Posey, P.J. Brown, Sam Cassell, Eddie House, Leon Powe, Glen Davis and Tony Allen vs. Sasha Vujacic, Luke Walton, Jordan Farmar, Ronny Turiaf, DJ Mbenga and Trevor Ariza. Posey won a title with Miami two years ago and is a key contributor who will help defend Bryant, but tough to figure out what else to expect from Celtics’ reserves. Minutes greatly fluctuated along with their production for most of them during the postseason. The Lakers counter with a much younger bench that tries to increase the tempo and energy when Bryant is resting. Edge: Lakers.

COACHES: Doc Rivers vs. Phil Jackson. Rivers did a great job molding all the Celtics’ new pieces into a 66-win team. But he’s appeared to lose confidence in some of his role players during the postseason, creating some inconsistent rotations. Jackson, the career leader in postseason victories, did one of his best coaching jobs this season on a team that started with the turmoil surrounding a possible Bryant trade and was never expected to be here. He seeks a 10th title, which would break Red Auerbach’s record. Edge: Lakers.

please cite your source/s when lifting from an online news organization.

stonecold316
06-02-2008, 01:54 AM
LA in five games.

They will steal one in Boston and will win Games 3, 4, 5 at the Staples Center.
;D ;D ;D

stonecold316

MonL
06-02-2008, 09:06 AM
I will celebrate after it's all over.

Not before. ;D

The_Big_Cat
06-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Players with back-to-back NBA Finals appearances with two different teams:

1. Ira Newble
( 2008 LA Lakers - ?????? )
( 2007 Cleveland Cavaliers - lost to San Antonio )

2. Todd MacCulloch
( 2002 New Jersey Nets - lost to LA Lakers )
( 2001 Philadelphia 76ers - lost to LA Lakers )

3. Steve Kerr
( 1999 San Antonio Spurs - beat NY Knicks )
( 1998 Chicago Bulls - beat Utah Jazz )

4. Danny Ainge
( 1993 Phoenix Suns - lost to Chicago Bulls )
( 1992 Portland Trailblazers - lost to Chicago Bulls )

MonL
06-04-2008, 12:11 AM
i think it's time to fire Flip Saunders. three times you've been eliminated in the ECF. i think he had enough chance to prove himself. also, the Pistons should trade either Rip or Sheed. Rip because he is just a jump shooter (mediocre defense and Sheed because he's getting older and older). Trade one of them for a true big man with good post moves.

hey Flip, after being fired next week, apply for the coaching position at The Desert. ;D

The time has come.

Flip Saunders fired by Pistons
Yahoo Sports

AP - Jun 3, 11:29 am EDT NBA Gallery AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP)—Flip Saunders was fired as Detroit Pistons coach Tuesday, four days after his team was eliminated by the Boston Celtics in the Eastern Conference finals.

President of basketball operations Joe Dumars said it’s “time for a new voice to lead our team.” Saunders had a year left on a four-year deal he signed in 2005. The decision comes three years after Saunders took over for Larry Brown, who led the Pistons to two straight NBA finals.

“Decisions like this are difficult to make, especially with the success we have had throughout the last three regular seasons,” Dumars said in a statement. “However, at this time, I feel it is necessary to make a change.”

A message left for Saunders on Tuesday was not immediately returned.

Saunders could be replaced by assistants Michael Curry or Terry Porter or perhaps former Dallas Mavericks coach Avery Johnson.

In Saunders’ three seasons, the Pistons were 176-70 in the regular season and 30-21 in the postseason, but they lost in the Eastern Conference finals each year.

The Pistons have appeared in six straight conference finals, the first franchise to do so since the Los Angeles Lakers in the 1980s. But they also are the second team in league history to lose in the round before the NBA finals three years in a row, joining the Celtics from 1953-55.

Dumars decided a year ago to bring back key players who have been together since the 2004 championship season, as well as Saunders, while infusing energy with rookies and young reserves. But after the loss in Game 6 of the East finals to Boston on Friday, the likelihood of change grew.

Before coming to Detroit, Saunders was 411-326 with the Minnesota Timberwolves from 1995-05. He led them to eight straight postseason appearances — seven first-round exits and an appearance in the 2004 conference finals. After leading Minnesota to a franchise-high 58 wins, he was fired with a 25-26 mark in the 2004-05 season.

Kid Cubao
06-04-2008, 06:53 AM
it's too bad that flip had to be fired for the lackluster performance of rasheed. now that flip saunders is gone, the pistons organization must now let go of rasheed wallace. elevate jason maxiell to starter, give more minutes to rodney stuckey either as chief reliever to chauncey billups or as backcourt mate, and then offer as trade bait at least three benchwarmers/role players for a full-service big man in free agency. the core of rip hamilton, chauncey, and tayshaun are good for another three years, pero ngayon pa lang pag-isipan na nila kung pano pagpapahingahin sa regular season si rip at chauncey.

i also thought that detroit zoned a bit too much during the flip saunders era. maybe what dumars is looking for is a coaching replacement that shares his defensive philosophy, which is old-school neck-choking man-to-man D. sino kaya?

Mateen Cleaves
06-04-2008, 07:02 AM
Too bad for Flip. He wasn't a bad coach. Just wasn't the best fit for the players that Detroit had. I don't think it had anything to do with X's and O's. Dumars supported the zone schemes. Joe acknowledged that under the new rules, the old-school defense would no longer work. Flip's problem was that he was never able to establish his leadership over the veteran Pistons.

Still, he won't feel bad too long. He's still getting 5M next year. Plus, it's early enough that other teams can contact him immediately, should he want to get back on a bench soon.

Michael Curry is the name most mentioned as the replacement. That should happen soon. Then Joe will find the players to go around Curry. And Dumars made it clear that there will be roster changes this year.

Some interesting names and possible transactions being mentioned in the Detroit community ... Jason Richardson (unhappy Michigan-native) and Emeka Okafor for Rasheed Wallace (to play for Larry Brown), Elton Brand (sign-and-trade with Clips, again for Sheed), etc.

Among the core players, Rasheed is the scapegoat now. But letting him go isn't a simple decision. He still has talent that can't be easily replaced in a trade. Detroit could decide to let him play out 2009 so they have his expiring salary to use on the free agent crop of 2010. IMO, Rip Hamilton is probably the Piston with the most trade value.

Dark Knight
06-04-2008, 07:12 AM
i dunno but when you lead a team to 6 consecutive Eastern Finals, i dont think its ground for termination.

I thats the case, Doc should've have been fired years ago.

cub
06-04-2008, 07:39 AM
i think it's time to fire Flip Saunders. three times you've been eliminated in the ECF. i think he had enough chance to prove himself. also, the Pistons should trade either Rip or Sheed. Rip because he is just a jump shooter (mediocre defense and Sheed because he's getting older and older). Trade one of them for a true big man with good post moves.

hey Flip, after being fired next week, apply for the coaching position at The Desert. ;D

The time has come.

Flip Saunders fired by Pistons
Yahoo Sports

AP - Jun 3, 11:29 am EDT NBA Gallery AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP)—Flip Saunders was fired as Detroit Pistons coach Tuesday, four days after his team was eliminated by the Boston Celtics in the Eastern Conference finals.

President of basketball operations Joe Dumars said it’s “time for a new voice to lead our team.” Saunders had a year left on a four-year deal he signed in 2005. The decision comes three years after Saunders took over for Larry Brown, who led the Pistons to two straight NBA finals.

“Decisions like this are difficult to make, especially with the success we have had throughout the last three regular seasons,” Dumars said in a statement. “However, at this time, I feel it is necessary to make a change.”

A message left for Saunders on Tuesday was not immediately returned.

Saunders could be replaced by assistants Michael Curry or Terry Porter or perhaps former Dallas Mavericks coach Avery Johnson.

In Saunders’ three seasons, the Pistons were 176-70 in the regular season and 30-21 in the postseason, but they lost in the Eastern Conference finals each year.

The Pistons have appeared in six straight conference finals, the first franchise to do so since the Los Angeles Lakers in the 1980s. But they also are the second team in league history to lose in the round before the NBA finals three years in a row, joining the Celtics from 1953-55.

Dumars decided a year ago to bring back key players who have been together since the 2004 championship season, as well as Saunders, while infusing energy with rookies and young reserves. But after the loss in Game 6 of the East finals to Boston on Friday, the likelihood of change grew.

Before coming to Detroit, Saunders was 411-326 with the Minnesota Timberwolves from 1995-05. He led them to eight straight postseason appearances — seven first-round exits and an appearance in the 2004 conference finals. After leading Minnesota to a franchise-high 58 wins, he was fired with a 25-26 mark in the 2004-05 season.

the Pistons management read my post. hahaha. J/K.

Mateen Cleaves
06-04-2008, 08:40 AM
i dunno but when you lead a team to 6 consecutive Eastern Finals, i dont think its ground for termination.

I thats the case, Doc should've have been fired years ago.

Flip led the Pistons to three Finals only. Carlisle got one, Brown got the other two (including one championship).

Just watched the Dumars press con. The way he explained the decision was this. He and Bill Davidson (the owner) decided that Flip was not the long-term prospect for the Pistons. Given that, it would not be in the team's best interest to have a lame duck coach next season. Thus, it was time to go in a different coaching direction... But Joe D's other big point was that he isn't done making changes yet. Now, it's the players who will be held to account.

The_Big_Cat
06-04-2008, 09:03 AM
With Flip gone expect major changes in the player roster to follow.

john_paul_manahan
06-04-2008, 10:51 AM
hmmm.... sheed, perhaps?

need to make room for amir johnson and jason maxiell.

more minutes to stuck. what boobie was last year, stuck was this year.

i agree, michael curry will be the next coach. lindsey will be an asst. but he better get a veteran asst.

The_Big_Cat
06-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Maybe, Isaiah Thomas and Bill Laimbeer could be good alternatives??? ;D

salsa caballero
06-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Hmmm...since Collins isn't OFFICIALLY pencilled in yet as the Bulls' coach, i wonder if Flip might yet make his way to the Windy City...

john_paul_manahan
06-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Maybe, Isaiah Thomas and Bill Laimbeer could be good alternatives???* ;D

bill laimberr, maybe. isiah... never mind. hahaha.

coreytaylor
06-04-2008, 08:04 PM
hmmm.... sheed, perhaps?

i think detroit really needs a new center right now ;)

marmand
06-04-2008, 08:23 PM
They should build around Stuckey and Maxiell. Rip, Prince and Co. will probably be effective for two more years and it is safe to say that their window of opportunity for a championship is basically closed.

coreytaylor
06-04-2008, 09:00 PM
They should build around Stuckey and Maxiell. Rip, Prince and Co. will probably be effective for two more years and it is safe to say that their window of opportunity for a championship is basically closed.

im sorry pare but i disagree. rip(30) and prince(28) should be the players that i think mr. dumars should still build around for the next 4-5 years. and prince, damn he needs to bounce back from this years mediocre and inconsistent performance specially in the playoffs. chauncy(31) will still be their #1 pg and stuckey should still be his back-up and probably be their 6th man of the bench.

hehe i thought sheed and antonio m. are around 35 or 36 but i was surprised when i saw that both of them are still 33 however, both are very expendable right now. well, for me, the window isn't closed yet. they still have a chance to make it to the eastern conference finals for 2 more years or who knows how long. boston at orlando lang kasi katapat nila next year and maybe cleveland. they should also make their bench deeper specially their frontcourt bench players and i expect jarvis hayes to be given a lot of minutes next year. sayang kasi talent niya..ang galing pa naman.

marmand
06-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Maybe Prince and a little of Rip. But Billups is just a step slower. They should try to use Billups and Rip as trade baits to try to get pieces that could deliver in the next 5 years. ( Trade them now while they still have value. ) Sheed is basically a goner. Can not see this team challenging for a Championship if they stick with the same core.

Mateen Cleaves
06-05-2008, 06:33 AM
Based on his recent radio interviews, it appears that there are two players that Joe Dumars considers practically untouchable -- Rodney Stuckey and Amir Johnson. He feels that these two can do things -- from an athletic standpoint -- that none of the other Pistons can. When asked if he was disappointed that Amir didn't get much time in the playoffs, Dumars said that he was disappointed at the lack of PT in the regular season as well. You can be sure that the he will make that point very clear to whomever he hires to coach the Pistons next.

The_Big_Cat
06-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Perhaps, Chauncey Billups can help the point guard position at Denever? After all, he played college ball at Colorado.

Kid Cubao
06-05-2008, 10:35 AM
no, i don't think chauncey is on the trading block, and neither do i think that denver needs additional guard reinforcement. billups is the face of the pistons organization, partly because joe dumars sees so much of himself in him. the way i see it, dumars wants to see some continuity in the way the new players are phased in so that the rebuilding process is as natural and seamless as possible, from strength to strength, from one level to the next. this being the case, chauncey's role is vital in mentoring the young players in the same way that lindsey hunter, who is already being groomed to become a fulltime assistant, has always been there for chauncey.

joe dumars is a true gentleman, one of the very few remaining in the league. i applaud the way he handled the dismissal of flip saunders because he made it clear to the players that they are just as accountable to the team's shortcomings as the head coach. expect him to trade away the coach killers together with the underperformers.

Mateen Cleaves
06-05-2008, 02:48 PM
What Joe said was that there are no sacred cows anymore. That's what you get for losing three straight Finals. That means all the players, including Billups, are in play. It doesn't mean that Dumars is looking to ship Chauncey out. But if a team makes him an offer for Billups, he'll make that deal if he thinks it will make Detroit a stronger team.

By the way, here's Dumars trade history so far. IMO, there isn't one trade here where the Pistons didn't come out with a net gain.

(2000) Chucky Atkins and Ben Wallace for Grant Hill.

(2001) Corliss Williamson for Jerome Williams; Jon Barry for myself ;) ; Cliff Robinson for Jud Buechler; Don Reid and a first-round pick for Rodney White.

(2002) Rip Hamilton for Jerry Stackhouse

(2003) Lindsey Hunter for Michael Curry

(2004) Rasheed Wallace and Mike James for Rebraca, Sura, Atkins, Hunter and two first round picks (Hunter would return one week later)

(2005) Carlos Arroyo for Elden Campbell (who would return to Detroit later in the year) and a first round pick (eventually used by Portland in 2007 on Joel Freeland)

(2006) Kelvin Cato and a first-round pick in the 2007 Draft (Rodney Stuckey) for Milicic and Arroyo; Cheikh Samb for Maurice Evans.

(2007) Walter Hermann and Brezec for Nazr Mohammed and cap space.

tigerman
06-05-2008, 02:57 PM
After having an offensive-minded coach in Flip Saunders, Joe Dumars might consider Jeff Van Gundy as the replacement. I see the similarities in the coaching philosophy of JVG and Larry Brown. They're both known for being defensive-minded.

I wonder what would have been the results if Larry Brown stayed in the motor city.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

stonecold316
06-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Kawawang Flip. He did his best for the Pistons but it was still not enough.
Bawi na lang siya sa ibang teams.

stonecold316

marmand
06-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Why not Flip in Phoenix. He can still run the up tempo game like Mike did at the same time teach some defense.

BigBlue
06-05-2008, 06:47 PM
had the same thought, marmand. pero i think Phoenix is already done with interviewing coaches, and are ready to select. let's see if this Flip's availability would result to changes in Steve Kerr's time table.

was also thinking, why not Avery Johnson for Detroit?

dark_seid
06-05-2008, 06:48 PM
trade away tayshaun prince.

the following ate him alive in the playoffs: manu ('05), wade ('06), lebron ('07), pierce ('08)

he's now officially and totally overrated. the only personnel he can guard are the people who shies away from contact.

cub
06-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Why not Flip in Phoenix. He can still run the up tempo game like Mike did at the same time teach some defense.

why use the up tempo game when you already know that it won't work when Shaq is around. also, it will wear down Nash. the next Suns coach should focus on DEFENSE and half court plays. maybe Kerr should interview Flip and ask Terry Porter to be Flip's assistant again.

marmand
06-05-2008, 07:05 PM
^ True but the up tempo game is Phoenix's trademark. The next coach should try to infuse Shaq in that system. Shaq is not the same old Shaq ( He is just old. ;D ) so the offense does not have to always run through him. Nash's skills are best used in an up tempo game. Slowing down would make his liability more obvious. ( Individual defense )

marmand
06-05-2008, 07:12 PM
had the same thought, marmand. pero i think Phoenix is already done with interviewing coaches, and are ready to select. let's see if this Flip's availability would result to changes in Steve Kerr's time table.

was also thinking, why not Avery Johnson for Detroit?

I like the idea of Avery in Detroit. A defensive minded coach. A coach that can train Stuckey, Maxiell and Amir Johnson to be the next core of the Pistons. Not to say that Rip, Chauncy and Prince are done but they obviously are a bit slower and need the bench to step up.

cub
06-05-2008, 11:50 PM
^ True but the up tempo game is Phoenix's trademark. The next coach should try to infuse Shaq in that system. Shaq is not the same old Shaq ( He is just old. ;D ) so the offense does not have to always run through him. Nash's skills are best used in an up tempo game. Slowing down would make his liability more obvious. ( Individual defense )

Flip is now out for the coaching position for the Suns. it is now down to 4 candidates. Elston Turner (Rockets), Terry Porter (Pistons), Mike Budenholzer (Spurs) and Tyrone Corbin (Jazz).

if i were to chose between this 4 lead assistant coaches, i'd pick Terry Porter. mainly because he is a natural point guard who executes plays and plays decent defense. also, he's the only candidate that has a head coaching experience.

john_paul_manahan
06-06-2008, 01:45 PM
i dont want to break the breen-jackson-jvg in espn combo....

nastrans
06-06-2008, 02:26 PM
I second that. I dont want ABC to have another form of commetating team, by far this is the best trio they have since getting the NBA rights.

cub
06-08-2008, 11:33 AM

Flip is now out for the coaching position for the Suns. it is now down to 4 candidates. Elston Turner (Rockets), Terry Porter (Pistons), Mike Budenholzer (Spurs) and Tyrone Corbin (Jazz).

if i were to chose between this 4 lead assistant coaches, i'd pick Terry Porter. mainly because he is a natural point guard who executes plays and plays decent defense. also, he's the only candidate that has a head coaching experience.

just like what i've wished for. welcome TP. hahaha. hope you could lead the Suns to the Finals.

pablohoney
06-09-2008, 12:57 AM
Just heard that Terry Porter will coach the Suns for about $7M ata. ???

stonecold316
06-09-2008, 02:02 AM
Just heard that Terry Porter will coach the Suns for about $7M ata. ???

Terry Porter? Hmm, hopefully he do wonders for Phoenix.

stonecold316

john_paul_manahan
06-09-2008, 01:12 PM
looks like they will go with someone whom steve kerr can relate.

remember, steve and terry were teammates in san antonio.

The_Big_Cat
06-09-2008, 01:15 PM

And both have winning traditions. Kerr with the Bulls while Terry with the '90 & '92 NBA Finals for Portland.

MonL
06-09-2008, 01:26 PM

And both have winning traditions. Kerr with the Bulls while Terry with the '90 & '92 NBA Finals for Portland.

Bulls, yes. Portland? Mmmmmm....not quite.

OT: Some of the most shouted words in the Blazers huddles in the Detroit-Portland finals series:*

"Will you stop thinking of Laimbeer!!!!" :D

Bill Laimbeer was often able to get away with flopping then, and his willing victim was Kevin Duckworth who couldnt get out of his mind being taken out* by "McNasty" in that manner. ;D

stonecold316
06-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Terry Porter to replace D'Antoni as Suns coach
06/09/2008 | 09:32 AM
Email this | Email the Editor | Print | Digg this | Add to del.icio.us
PHOENIX - Terry Porter will be the Phoenix Suns' next coach, ending the club's monthlong search for a successor to Mike D'Antoni.

Phoenix general manager Steve Kerr said Saturday he had agreed to terms with Porter, who was an assistant with the Detroit Pistons.

The 45-year-old Porter played in the NBA for 17 seasons and teamed with Kerr in San Antonio.

"He's got a great combination of leadership skills," Kerr said in a telephone interview. "He's a great communicator. And his coaching experience, two years as a head coach, is important to me. The fact that he's sat in that chair, that was a key factor. He's very tough-minded."

Porter is expected to sign a three-year deal worth about $7 million, and he likely will be introduced at a news conference early next week. His hiring was first reported by ESPN.

"I'm very excited," Porter said in a telephone interview. "I'm looking forward to getting started."

Porter emerged from an extensive list of candidates interviewed by the Suns. Last week, Kerr said the list had been pared to four — Porter and assistants Elston Turner of Houston, Tyrone Corbin of Utah and Mike Budenholzer of San Antonio.

"We interviewed some great candidates, and we wanted to take our time and make sure we made the right choice," Kerr said. "He's the right guy, and I'm glad to have him on board."

Porter was the only one of the final four with head coaching experience, leading the Milwaukee Bucks. He went 71-93 (.433) from 2003-05, and the Bucks made the playoffs in his first year.

"I knew obviously I had a strong resume," Porter said.

Porter will become the Suns' seventh coach since 1993, when they made their last NBA Finals appearance.

Porter inherits a talented but aging roster that features former MVPs Steve Nash and Shaquille O'Neal, along one of the league's best front-line players in Amare Stoudemire.

The Suns job opened up last month when D'Antoni left to sign with the New York Knicks. Under D'Antoni, the Suns played an entertaining, uptempo style and had four highly successful regular seasons. But the team never made it past the conference finals.

After the Suns were eliminated in the first round by San Antonio this year, D'Antoni decided to leave rather than make some changes that Kerr reportedly wanted, including more emphasis on defense.

Once D'Antoni left, Kerr embarked on a deliberate national search for a successor, working with owner Robert Sarver and vice president for basketball operations David Griffin.

From the start, Porter was viewed as a front-runner because of his long relationship with Kerr. They played together in San Antonio from 1999-2001,

Porter, a native of Milwaukee, graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point. - AP

tigerman
06-09-2008, 10:48 PM
I share the same sentiment :re the Breen-Jackson-Van Gundy trio. They're the only reason why I have ABC/ESPN over TNT right now.

Some memorable lines from Mark Jackson: ;D

On Vince Carter's amazing layup while spinning in the air against Eddy Curry in the 05-06 season:
"Watching this move, if I wasn't on salary I would leave the building."

On Kevin Garnett's facial slam over Theo Ratliff in the recently-concluded East finals:
"Excuse me Mr. Ratliff I have an appointment with the rim."

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

cub
06-10-2008, 12:05 AM
i like the way Mike Breen delivers this particular line of his:

"banks it in, and a foul!" -- when Paul Pierce hit that 3points with a foul from Walton(?)

The_Big_Cat
06-10-2008, 07:40 AM
^You can also add to Mark Jackson's remarks after the KG follow up slam in the dying minutes of game 1.
"Mr. Gasol, welcome to my poster"

And don't forget Mike Breen's famous commentary after a made three: "BANG!".

Jeep
06-10-2008, 09:29 AM
^You can also add to Mark Jackson's remarks after the KG follow up slam in the dying minutes of game 1.
* *"Mr. Gasol, welcome to my poster"

And don't forget Mike Breen's famous commentary after a made three: "BANG!".

told you guys those 3 are a riot! ;D the real BIG 3 on the sidelines.

and mike breen's bang is the US version of jude turcuato's "KABOOM!" :)

cub
06-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Michael Curry tabbed as new coach of the Detroit Pistons

By LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer

DETROIT (AP)—Michael Curry will be the Detroit Pistons head coach next season after only one year as an assistant.

A former teammate is not surprised.

Curry is set be introduced as Detroit’s new coach at a news conference Tuesday, Pistons president of basketball operations Joe Dumars told The Associated Press.

Dallas Mavericks guard Jerry Stackhouse, who played with Curry in Detroit, said Curry was like a player-coach during his career on the court.

“It was just a matter of time,” Stackhouse said a telephone interview with the AP on Monday. “Everybody who knew Michael from his playing days knew this is where he would end up.

“He’s going to do great for Detroit because he already has great rapport with those players, who will give him a different kind of respect because he played in the league.”

Curry was an assistant last season in Detroit under for Flip Saunders, who was fired last week.

The Pistons and Curry agreed on a three-year deal worth $2.5 million a season. The team holds an option for a fourth season.

Before going to the bench, Curry was the NBDL’s vice president of player development following a playing career that started as an undrafted free agent during the 1993-94 season in Philadelphia and ended during the 2004-05 season with the Indiana Pacers.

He averaged 4 1/2 points, 1.6 rebounds and 20 minutes a game over his career, which included two stops in Detroit along with stints in Milwaukee, Toronto and Washington. His defense and leadership kept him in the league despite averaging less than seven points a season.

“I think he has a lot of good qualifications,” Phoenix Suns coach Terry Porter, who was a Pistons assistant with Curry last season, told the AP. “It’s a pretty good jump going from assistant to head coach, but like Stackhouse said, he’s been a player-coach most of his life.

“I don’t know what his staff will be like, but that’s important when you don’t have a lot of experience.”

The 39-year-old Curry played with Dumars more than a decade ago and with current Pistons Chauncey Billups, Richard Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince during the 2002-03 season, when the franchise started its active streak of appearances in the Eastern Conference finals. He also played with Detroit center Rasheed Wallace in Washington.

Curry might not coach all of those players next season because Dumars publicly put his whole team, other than Rodney Stuckey, on the trading block last week when he fired Saunders.

Curry played professionally in Germany, Belgium and France as well as the CBA and USBL after he was a standout at Georgia Southern.

Toward the end of his NBA career, Curry was president of the players’ association and earned a masters degree from Virginia Commonwealth University. The native of Augusta, Ga., is married and has three children, including Deon, a wide receiver at Michigan State.

erichubert
06-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Of the new coaches hired, I like Michael Curry the most, he has been a leader even when he was still playing and I think he will stand up to the Detroit players and snap them out of their arrogant behavior that has cost them the last 3 seasons. Terry Porter is also good and defensively-abled, he should improve the Suns defense, but I don't see him as the one leading the team to the promised land. Del Negro is the wildcard, not much known about his coaching style so this one is hard to judge.

dark_seid
06-10-2008, 05:41 PM
"Mr. Gasol, welcome to my poster"

and in game 2 when powe went 3 quarter-court for that stuff with a laker big challenging, mark jackson went "meet me at the rim"

replayed a quarter later, jackson was telling how it reminded him of dr. j back in the days. this was to which van gundy quickly went out and publicly apologized over the air to julius erving for the big time mental slip of his broadcast partner in comparing powe to dr j.

hilarious!!!!! :D