PDA

View Full Version : The 2007-08 NBA Season

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

The_Big_Cat
04-08-2008, 09:47 PM
It is a pity that the Late Dennis Johnson did not make the Hall of Fame this year. DJ was a consistent player that leads by example. A hard worker. A true gentleman on and off court.

Yes. He was one of the finest defensive guards in the NBA history. A member of the 1984 & 1986 Boston Celtics Championship teams.

marmand
04-08-2008, 09:56 PM
It is a pity that the Late Dennis Johnson did not make the Hall of Fame this year. DJ was a consistent player that leads by example. A hard worker. A true gentleman on and off court.

Yes. He was one of the finest defensive guards in the NBA history. A member of the 1984 & 1986 Boston Celtics Championship teams.

And if I am not mistaken, He was part of the 77 or 78 champion Sonics.

flsfnoeraekadad
04-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Lastly, they do have problem on defense.

With the top defensive player on their team. How ironic is that?

The_Big_Cat
04-09-2008, 11:39 AM

And if I am not mistaken, He was part of the 77 or 78 champion Sonics.

Yes. He was part of the '78 Sonics team.

marmand
04-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Both Nuggets and Warriors won today. So no changes for 8th seed. ( Denver played the Clippers not the Jazz, My mistake ) What is interesting is the race for the number 1 seed. The gap between the Hornets ( 1st seed ) and the Suns ( 6th seed ) is only 3 games. It is still too tight to call the seedings now.

Side Note: The Lakers lost again vs the Blazers. The Blazers seem to have the Lakers number.

coreytaylor
04-09-2008, 06:11 PM
ot: anyone here knows how to play the "ultimate fantasy commissioner at nba.com? Just want you to know that im want to make a private league for next season and i want to invite everyone who knows how to play the game to join. (i dont know where to post this kaya dito ko na lang inilagay. sori to the administrators.)

Mikhail
04-09-2008, 06:37 PM
^
We already have a Gameface FL over at Yahoo: http://www.gameface.ph/forums/index.php?topic=1566.0

cub
04-09-2008, 07:44 PM
ill be making another fantasy league on October. it will mark our 2nd year in playing our FL. mas gusto ko sa Yahoo because nba's FL seems a bit complicated.

Mikhail
04-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Plus may history ;D

coreytaylor
04-10-2008, 10:48 AM
^
We already have a Gameface FL over at Yahoo: http://www.gameface.ph/forums/index.php?topic=1566.0

thats great. lets make a private league! 30 teams para maganda! ahahaha

marmand
04-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Count me in. ;D

marmand
04-10-2008, 11:11 AM
A close game now between Suns and Spurs. 55-51 Suns 3rd Quarter. If the Spurs lose they can drop from 2nd to 5th or 6th. Its that close in the west. Most teams have 4 games left so every game would really shake the standings. No room for errors, if they want home court advantage.

marmand
04-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Suns pulling away. leading 92-75, 3 mins in the 4th. Looks like Spurs drop from 2nd to 5th and half game ahead of the Suns who are in 6th place.

erichubert
04-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Suns seem to have solved the Spurs puzzle, they have beaten them twice in row already. Shaq really gives them something in this play-off type games.

coreytaylor
04-10-2008, 12:10 PM
the washington wizards defeated the boston celtics for the third time this season. no need to worry, the wizards wont go too far in the play-offs anyway.

The_Big_Cat
04-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Phoenix won over San Antonio convincingly. The Shaq trade made the Suns a better half-court team. This win over San Antonio is what Suns GM Steve Kerr is hoping for to happen deep in the playoffs.

erichubert
04-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Washington can still catch Cleveland for the fourth spot and the homecourt advantage, I think that is their main goal right now. If Arenas can play well and blend in with the group, I think they could be a sleeper in the East.

Phoenix looks good lately, Kerr should be smiling and hoping that Shaq's inspired play will continue into the play-offs. Best bet is that they would make a run in the post season but come up short eventually.

The_Big_Cat
04-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Washington can still catch Cleveland for the fourth spot and the homecourt advantage, I think that is their main goal right now. If Arenas can play well and blend in with the group, I think they could be a sleeper in the East.

Phoenix looks good lately, Kerr should be smiling and hoping that Shaq's inspired play will continue into the play-offs. Best bet is that they would make a run in the post season but come up short eventually.

I hope that the Suns would advance further in the playoffs. I think Shaq could help make the Suns a winner.

stonecold316
04-10-2008, 03:12 PM
I would like to see LA and Boston slug it out in the NBA Finals.

Yellow vs Green. Astig.

stonecold316

dark_seid
04-10-2008, 03:54 PM
awesome article about rasheed wallace http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3336339

Most athletes seek praise and recognition; Wallace loathes both. In the 2005 Finals, each player was told to stand on a podium during the pregame intros; Wallace refused to do so before Game 1 and lasted on one for less than a second before Game 2. "Rasheed was totally embarrassed," says Larry Brown. "I had to beg him to do it. I almost had to hold his hand."

marmand
04-10-2008, 04:11 PM

Yellow vs Green. Astig.

stonecold316

With Bynum possibly coming back this Sunday, The Lakers will almost get all its pieces to compete with the best of the west. It would be a media bonanza if both Celtics and Lakers make the NBA Finals. It wont come close to the Magic-Bird era but it will spark the rivalry again.

The_Big_Cat
04-10-2008, 05:32 PM

Yellow vs Green. Astig.

stonecold316

It will be a good match-up if it happens.

A BOSTON-PHOENIX finals could be a dandy also.
Besides Jason Kidd, sentimental favorite din sila Kevin Garnett and Steve Nash to win a ring..
A replay of the 1976 NBA Finals, where Boston won.

marmand
04-10-2008, 05:48 PM
Ratings wise the best scenario is still LA vs Boston. Match- up talent for talent ( experience ) then it would be Spurs vs. Pistons.

But still hoping for the Rockets to make it. ( not likely :( )

flsfnoeraekadad
04-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Swerte pa din talaga ang Lakers kahit hindi sila manalo-nalo sa Rose Garden. They get their second chance to take hold of the second place against the Clippers in a roadie in but virtually it's a home game for us Laker Fans because the Clippers are just nothing.

marmand
04-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Hope the Lakers stay in 3rd place then the Suns remain at 6th place. 1st round Shaq vs Kobe. ;D

cub
04-10-2008, 06:51 PM
^

30teams? wala ng players na makukuha niyan.. :) and, 20teams is the maximum..

CM_Punk
04-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Hope the Lakers stay in 3rd place then the Suns remain at 6th place.* 1st round Shaq vs Kobe.* *;D

Yes, I would love to see this happen in the Western playoffs this year. Lakers vs. Suns- Bynum, Gasol, Odom, Kobe vs. Shaq, Amare, Hill, Nash. That would be must-see TV, indeed.

cub
04-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Bowen just did it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gQYpdOjjQA

marmand
04-10-2008, 10:50 PM
Sus...... Sus....... ;D ;D

dark_seid
04-11-2008, 01:37 AM
listen to what hubie brown was saying as he analyzed it.

if there's a fine or suspension, it's what bowen did to nash in another play. this was amare's and-1 off tim duncan late into the 4th where nash and stoudemire did a dribble hand off and bowen just threw nash down.

joelex
04-11-2008, 02:31 AM
SUSMARYOSEP

WNBA na lang si Amare kung dirty tingin niya dun

erichubert
04-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Bruce Bowen has done that so many times and has gotten away with it mostly. I think he really needs to get fined at least, if not one day he may really injure someone. There is a difference between playing tough and playing dirty.

marmand
04-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Nuggets beat the Warriors and go 1 up for the 8 seed and hold the tie breaker. Looks bad for the warriors. They now have to sweep their last 3 games. ( Clippers, @ Suns and Sonics ) and hope the Nuggets lose 2 of their last three ( @ Utah, Rockets and Memphis) to sneak in the playoffs. Doable? Yes but difficult, Nuggets game vs Jazz and Rockets are not easy but the warriors game vs. the suns is also difficult.

dark_seid
04-11-2008, 11:41 AM
^ 1 up and hold the tie-breaker ... then that means they're actually 2 up.

a nuggets win or a warriors loss (with each having 3 games left) means denver is in.

marmand
04-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Mavs beat the Jazz thus clinching a playoff berth. They basically locked up the 7th seed. What a game by Dirk. A 3pt shot to win the game. Jazz could not tie because with only .9 of a second left, it was a catch and shoot which they missed..

The_Big_Cat
04-11-2008, 12:28 PM
If the Hornets do lock up the number 1 seed in the West, mas maganda siguro if they would go up against the Nuggets than the Warriors. I think the Nuggets have a better chance against New Orleans. They can match-up well with the frontline of the Hornets while the Warriors are just too small for the Hornets.

marmand
04-11-2008, 12:32 PM
Add to that, the Hornets ( most of them ) dont have playoff experience.

The_Big_Cat
04-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Add to that, the Hornets ( most of them ) dont have playoff experience.

Yes if it would be a Hornets-Nuggets in the first round, mas lamang sa experience ang Nuggets but the Hornets are playing more consistent basketball throught the regular season and I think mahihirapan talunin ng Nuggets ang Hornets. The Hornets do have an experienced coach in Byron Scott, who took the Nets in the 2002 and 2003 NBA Finals.

Magandang Match-up.

marmand
04-11-2008, 12:47 PM
Another thing going for the Nuggets is their depth. Smith, Klieza, Atkins among others are way better then Wells, Pargo and Wright.

coreytaylor
04-11-2008, 03:23 PM
^

30teams? wala ng players na makukuha niyan.. :) and, 20teams is the maximum..

sori pare, i didnt know that there are only 20 teams allowed. pwede na rin! ahehe! mas maganda kung tayo-tayo lang maglalaro mga gameface dudes.

marmand
04-11-2008, 03:42 PM
The Wizards and Cavaliers 1st round match up is a toss up. With LBJ suffering back injuries and Agent 0 back, dont be surprise if an upset happens.

erichubert
04-11-2008, 03:47 PM
I don't like the idea of tiebreakers, I really think it is more fair to have a knock-out game if teams are tied for the last position. Use the tiebreakers only when it is for positioning.

The_Big_Cat
04-11-2008, 04:45 PM
How about the current 4th-seed Jazz (Division leader) vs the 5th-seed Rockets. Although 4th seed ang Utah, the Rockets have the better record so if the playoffs would start today, Houston would have the homecourt advantage.

Similar scenario in last year's playoffs, 4th-seed ang Rockets (Division Champs) pero ang Jazz had the better record so the 5th-seed Utah had homecourt advantage in last year's first round match-up.

What a turnaround from last year.

marmand
04-11-2008, 05:28 PM
It would also apply for the Suns. They could end up in 5th place and still have home court advantage vs. the Jazz. The game tomorrow between the Rockets and Suns could decide the 5th place team.

erichubert
04-11-2008, 06:12 PM
It would really screw up the play-off pairings, specially if Utah ends with the 6th best record, instead of maybe a Houston-Phoenix 4th vs 5th scenario, Utah ends up 4th and takes on either of the two. One of them has to face a 3rd seed even if it should not have been the case. Weird rules of the NBA. :D

marmand
04-11-2008, 06:27 PM
They should go by the top 8 records in order. Plain and simple. In case of ties then head to head match ups. If that cant be resolved then higher division record. ( play vs division teams ) Lastly if that dont solve it then Conference records. ( play vs. Conference teams ) ::)

The_Big_Cat
04-12-2008, 10:21 AM
Bottomline is the team should play consistent basketball throughout the entire regular season for them to be awarded a higher seeding and a homecourt advantage.

marmand
04-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Consistent basketball and lots of luck. Key injuries to players of the other team. ;D

marmand
04-12-2008, 11:08 AM
The Lakers can clinch their division and at least the 3rd seed with a win today vs. the Hornets. 1st quarter, Lakers with a 33-18 lead. This assures them Home Court for the 1st round.

marmand
04-12-2008, 01:03 PM
Despite losing a 27 pt lead, the Lakers beat the Hornets at home 107-104 to win the Pacific Division and locked up at least the 3rd seed and guaranteed home court advantage for the 1st round.

erichubert
04-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Great win, the play-off picture is getting clearer. We know the 6th and 7th seeds already more or less, Phoenix and Dallas, both very dangerous teams. Lakers need to get that top seed, and avoid this two teams whether in the first or second rounds.

marmand
04-12-2008, 02:24 PM
Its pick your poison in the Western Conference playoffs. In the Rockets place, Will you go for the 2nd and face the Mavs or stay at 5th and face the Jazz? Tough choice. ( Top seed is far fetched but possible. It entails a lot of "IFs" )

The Lakers, It will be either Denver, ( Currently 8th ) Mavs or the Suns. I say Suns!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

The Spurs- same as the Rockets but with a higher chance of the 1st seed thus drawing Denver.

The Hornets- Its for them to lose the top seed.

The Jazz - No chance for top seed. Will stay at 4th but are not guaranteed Home Court Advantage.

The_Big_Cat
04-12-2008, 03:20 PM
The Lakers can clinch their division and at least the 3rd seed with a win today vs. the Hornets. 1st quarter, Lakers with a 33-18 lead. This assures them Home Court for the 1st round.

The Lakers clinch the Pacific Division for the first time since the 2003-2004 season with Shaq, Payton and Malone. They reached the Finals but bowed down to the Pi-Pi-Pi-Pistons!

marmand
04-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Important games tomorrow:

East : Bobcats @ Pacers
Celtics @ Hawks
76esrs @ Wizards

Hawks lead Pacers by 2 games for the 8th seed in the East.
Wizards lead 76ers by 1 game for 5th seed

West : Nuggets @ Jazz
Clippers @ Warriors
Hornets @ Kings

Nuggets lead Warriors by 1 game in the loss standings and 1 game in the tie break giving them a 2 game lead.
Hornets are 1/2 game ahead of Lakers for the Top seed in the West.

marmand
04-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Coach of the year = Rick Adelman 22 games winning streak. ( 2nd Best in the history of the NBA )

GM of the year = Danny Ainge and Kevin Mchale for giving KG in a sliver platter to the C's ;D
Mitch Kupchak ( spelling?) for stealing Gasol ;)

The_Big_Cat
04-12-2008, 06:31 PM
Coach of the year = Rick Adelman 22 games winning streak. ( 2nd Best in the history of the NBA )

GM of the year = Danny Ainge and Kevin Mchale for giving KG in a sliver platter to the C's ;D
Mitch Kupchak ( spelling?) for stealing Gasol ;)

Maybe we could also consider Doc Rivers (Boston) and Byron Scott (New Orleans) as frontrunners as well for Coach of the Year.

tigerman
04-12-2008, 08:50 PM
Maurice Cheeks should be considered also for the coach of the year award. I know that the Sixers are in the East but who would have thought that they will make a run at the playoffs this season with their young lineup and a 1st trip in the post-AI era?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

tigerman
04-12-2008, 08:52 PM
Top disappointments for this season:
1. Miami
2. Chicago
3. New Jersey

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

flsfnoeraekadad
04-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Why is everyone trying to get to the 4-5 and the 1-8 bracket? ;D

flsfnoeraekadad
04-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Watch this. Kobe jumps over an Aston Martin at speed, but not necessarily full speed. Judge if it's real ot fake. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hWJkdUMiMw

marmand
04-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Why is everyone trying to get to the 4-5 and the 1-8 bracket? ;D
[/

2-7 and 3-6 are harder in the sense that the teams are not that far from each other when it comes to talent.
Ex. in the west at present Spurs vs. Mavs and Lakers vs Suns. Winners of both series will still face a tough team.

flsfnoeraekadad
04-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Do they really think Utah is a push-over? They reached the West Finals last year. ;D

marmand
04-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Talent wise,They ( Jazz ) are considered not as deep as the others except for the Rockets. They also are very inconsistent on the road. You could see the way they play at Home compared to on the Road.

marmand
04-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Nuggets lost to the Jazz and the Warriors are leading the Clippers. If the Warriors win then both Nuggets and Warriors are tied for eight with 2 games to go. Nuggets hold tie breaker.

marmand
04-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Who would have thought with 2 to 3 games remaining in the regular season that 4 teams are still fighting for the top seed in the West. The Hornets just lost to the Kings thus they are tied with the Lakers for top seed at 55-25. Half game behind them at 54-25 are the Rockets and Spurs. Tomorrow's game between the Lakers and Spurs will be huge.

flsfnoeraekadad
04-13-2008, 01:12 PM
Lakers get back to the top of the West via the Hornets loss.

Per NBA quotient rules, Lakers have a larger of margin of victory against the Hornets, who split their series.

Lakers: 29+3 = 32
Hornets: 14+10 = 24
Lakers +8

Also, the Lakers have the better conference record.

Lakers: 35-15
Hornets: 33-17

;D

marmand
04-13-2008, 01:17 PM
They dont go for margin differences. To break tie breakers it follows as follows:

1) Head to Head - If tied they proceed to #2
2) Better Division Record - If tied they proceed to # 3
3) Better Conference Record

tigerman
04-13-2008, 01:22 PM
The Lakers hold the tiebreaker over the Hornets.

Here are the remaining games of the teams battling for the no. 1 seed in the West.

LAKERS 55-25
vs. Spurs
vs. Kings

HORNETS 55-25
vs. Cliippers
@ Dallas

SPURS 54-25
@ Lakers
@ Kings
vs. Jazz

ROCKETS 54-25
@ Nuggets
@ Jazz
Cliippers

Three of the 4 contending teams for the no.1 seed are from the Southwest division. Only Memphis is the weakling in said division. Too bad one team among the Spurs, Rockets and *Hornets will slide in the 5th spot at the end of the regular season and consequently lose a possible homecourt advantage in the 1st round. This is bec. the Jazz are guaranteed of a top 4 seeding due to being a division champ. Am I correct with this one? *

Looking at the schedule, the Lakers seem to have the easiest schedule especially if the reports are true that Manu is injured and will be out indefinitely.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

flsfnoeraekadad
04-13-2008, 01:24 PM
The Rockets must/will lose. Somewhere in Denver or Utah.

marmand
04-13-2008, 01:45 PM
For the sake of the Rockets and Warriors, The Rockets must win at Denver. The Jazz game will determine home court advantage between the 4th and 5th seed. ( Granting Rockets lose at Denver )

flsfnoeraekadad
04-13-2008, 06:48 PM
No. The Nuggets should win. ;D lol

marmand
04-13-2008, 06:57 PM
For their sake they should because if not they really dont deserve a playoff spot.

flsfnoeraekadad
04-14-2008, 06:46 AM
Lakers win vs San Antonio. They lock up the number 2 seed if they win versus Sacramento on Wednesday, no matter what happens to the rest of the league.

But it would help if Denver wins today... A Lakers win on Wednesday would lock up the number 1 slot.

marmand
04-14-2008, 09:18 AM
The whole Bay Area are rooting for the Rockets to win. ;D

erichubert
04-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Lakers win vs San Antonio. They lock up the number 2 seed if they win versus Sacramento on Wednesday, no matter what happens to the rest of the league.

But it would help if Denver wins today... A Lakers win on Wednesday would lock up the number 1 slot.

Actually they could still finish no.3, if they are tied with Houston and New Orleans. In that case Houston get no.1, New Orleans no.2 and LA no.3.

tigerman
04-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Here are the scenarios as explained in the nba website.

1. The Lakers (56-25), who clinched their first Pacific Division championship in four years and at least the No. 3 seed in the West on Friday night, need to beat visiting Sacramento on Tuesday night and have Houston lose at least one of its final three games to earn the conference's No. 1 seed.

2. Should Los Angeles and Houston tie for the conference title, the Rockets get the No. 1 seed because of a 2-1 record against the Lakers. Houston was scheduled to play Sunday night at Denver and Monday night at Utah before finishing at home Wednesday night against the Clippers.

3. Should the Lakers tie for the conference lead with Houston and New Orleans, the Rockets would be first, the Hornets second and the Lakers third based on how the three teams fared against each other.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

marmand
04-14-2008, 10:24 AM
Does not look good for the Rockets and Warriors 61-44 Denver at half time. Battier and Bobby Jackson are not playing for the Rockets. How unlucky can you get after missing Yao.

marmand
04-14-2008, 10:52 AM
82-63 Denver in the 3rd. Cant imagine how the Warrior fans are feeling right now. Tough luck that the Rockets are having an off night and are missing key players.

marmand
04-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Down 23 pts with 1 min. to go, The Rockets has surrendered their chance of getting the 1st seed to the Lakers or Hornets. This also means good bye to the Warriors and Hello to Denver as the 8th seed.

flsfnoeraekadad
04-14-2008, 12:11 PM
With that win, the Lakers have done two things

1. Put themselves in a position to avoid the dreaded 2-7 and 3-6 brackets.
2. Potentially avoid San Antonio until the Conference Finals.

marmand
04-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Whats scary is that the Mavs can fall to the 8th seed and face the Lakers. Wow!

erichubert
04-14-2008, 01:26 PM
I think that is going to happen, Dallas has New Orleans in its last game while Denver only has Memphis at home. If they end up tied, it is going to be Denver 7th, Dallas 8th.

marmand
04-14-2008, 04:15 PM
This is were teams gamble. Will they tank remaining games to choose their opponent or will they finish as high as possible and face whoever they have to.

flsfnoeraekadad
04-14-2008, 06:56 PM
If I'm Dallas, I'd want to face the team who has no veteran savvy or that much playoff savvy

marmand
04-14-2008, 08:20 PM
^ New Orleans Hornets ;D

tigerman
04-15-2008, 12:38 PM
With the loss of Indiana earlier, it gave the Hawks a playoff berth for the 1st time since 1999. Two playoff series are now officially set, both in the East. In the West, the Nuggets got the last spot while Golden State was eliminated from the race after losing to Phoenix earlier.

EAST
Boston (1st) vs. Atlanta (8th)
Cleveland (4th) vs. Washington (5th) - 3rd straight year to face each other

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

flsfnoeraekadad
04-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Melo caught with charges of DUI. ;D

The_Big_Cat
04-15-2008, 02:20 PM

This might be a big distraction for the team psychologically.

marmand
04-15-2008, 02:37 PM

For celebrating their formal entry to the playoffs. ;D

marmand
04-15-2008, 02:58 PM
With one more game left in the regular season, The seedings in the west is not yet set.

For the top spot, only the Lakers and Hornets can attain this spot
For spots 3 - 6, Rockets, Suns, Jazz, Spurs
For the last two spots Mavs, Nuggets

There are so many possible scenarios for spots 3 - 6. While for the last 2 spots, its simple Mavs win vs. Hornets they are 7th but if they lose and Nuggets win vs. Memphis then Nuggets get 7th while Mavs fall to 8th.

For the top spot, If Lakers win vs. Kings then they are number 1 and Hornets fall to number 2. If they lose then Hornets win vs. Clippers and Mavs then Hornets are number 1.

dark_seid
04-15-2008, 03:47 PM
no 50-win team is missing the playoffs. and i thought we were gonna witness nba history.

stonecold316
04-15-2008, 03:53 PM
I know its too early for predictions, but I think it will be an LA vs Boston Finale this year.

Ganda rin kung ma-relive nila ang kanilang rivalry.

Yellow vs Green. Astig.

stonecold316

marmand
04-15-2008, 06:36 PM
no 50-win team is missing the playoffs. and i thought we were gonna witness nba history.

Yes but the Warriors will hold the record for the most wins without making the playoffs. They are at 48 wins now with 1 game left.

The_Big_Cat
04-15-2008, 08:49 PM
In the East, it would probably go down between Boston and Detroit. While for the West, it is wide open since the tougher teams play in this conference. But my picks for the West are Phoenix (Steve Nash), Dallas (Jason Kidd) and New Orleans (Byron Scott). I would love to see them finally get a ring.

flsfnoeraekadad
04-15-2008, 10:07 PM
I know its too early for predictions, but I think it will be an LA vs Boston Finale this year.

Ganda rin kung ma-relive nila ang kanilang rivalry.

Yellow vs Green. Astig.

stonecold316

The Lakers don't have Yellow as their color.

It's PURPLE and GOLD.

flsfnoeraekadad
04-15-2008, 10:08 PM

For celebrating their formal entry to the playoffs. ;D

He celebrated too early though. ;D

dark_seid
04-15-2008, 10:15 PM
EAST

it's set already in the east
1) boston vs atlanta
2) detroit vs philadelphia
3) orlando vs toronto
4) cleveland vs washington

Yes but the Warriors will hold the record for the most wins without making the playoffs. They are at 48 wins now with 1 game left.

according to espn and wikipedia, sonics of 1971-72 didn't make it to the playoffs with 49-33 record.

cub
04-15-2008, 10:25 PM
para maiba naman, i wish the Wizards will beat the Cavs. Wizards has a better chance vs. the Celtics. i think they are the only team who has won a season series against the Celts this year(3-1). :o

marmand
04-15-2008, 10:43 PM
EAST

it's set already in the east
1) boston vs atlanta
2) detroit vs philadelphia
3) orlando vs toronto
4) cleveland vs washington

according to espn and wikipedia, sonics of 1971-72 didn't make it to the playoffs with 49-33 record.

I always thought that the 2001-02 Houston Rockets with a record of 45-37 had the record. Then, the Warriors can tie the record by winning their last game. 49-33 record

flsfnoeraekadad
04-15-2008, 11:02 PM
para maiba naman, i wish the Wizards will beat the Cavs. Wizards has a better chance vs. the Celtics. i think they are the only team who has won a season series against the Celts this year(3-1). :o

There are lot of side stories bet. the Wiz-Cavs:

1. Lebron's Jay-Z vs. DeShawn's Soulja Boy and Stevenson promised to give Soulja Boy courtside-row tickets in Washington
2. Stevenson's overrated comments to Lebron James.
3. Stevenson calling for Lebron to shave his beard and stop copying him
4. Arenas' comments in his blog about everybody wanting the Cavs in the playoffs
5. Joe Smith's retaliatory comments to Arenas.

This is the most colorful series for this first round. I'm definitely watching it! ;D

And before the Wiz... GO ATLANTA! Sige lang kahit malabo. Malay natin eto ang maging Golden State-Dallas of the year. ;D

tigerman
04-16-2008, 11:24 AM
The Hornets just won over the Clippers. They will need a Laker loss to the Kings in order to clinch the no. 1 seed. Otherwise, the Lakers get the no. 1 seed in the West.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

marmand
04-16-2008, 11:41 AM
The Hornets just won over the Clippers. They will need a Laker loss to the Kings in order to clinch the no. 1 seed. Otherwise, the Lakers get the no. 1 seed in the West.

Assuming the Lakers lose to the Kings, The Hornets can not clinch the top seed unless they beat the Mavs. tomorrow.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

tigerman
04-16-2008, 11:43 AM
^ Opppps sorry, forgot to include the Dallas game.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

flsfnoeraekadad
04-16-2008, 11:53 AM
Lakers looking good vs the Kings now.

marmand
04-16-2008, 12:16 PM
Imagine this scenario. Lakers beat the Kings, Hornets beats the Mavs and the Nuggets win tomorrow vs Memphis. Round one 1 vs. 8 Lakers vs Mavs. ;D

The_Big_Cat
04-16-2008, 12:42 PM
Imagine this scenario. Lakers beat the Kings, Hornets beats the Mavs and the Nuggets win tomorrow vs Memphis. Round one 1 vs. 8 Lakers vs Mavs. ;D

Maybe, it would be the turn of Dallas to upset the number 1 seed..?

marmand
04-16-2008, 12:56 PM
^ Poetic justice. ;D Lakers up big vs. Kings 118-93, 3 mins in the 4th. Congrats to the Lakers for getting the Top seed in the West.

The_Big_Cat
04-16-2008, 01:03 PM
^ Poetic justice. ;D

Correct. Wala ng pressure ngayon ang Dallas at the 7th seed compared to last year's playoffs where they were the top seed in the West.

marmand
04-16-2008, 01:20 PM
With the top seed going to the Lakers, The focus tomorrow would be for the 2nd to 8th seed. The East is set while the wild wild west will go down the wire to determine 2 to 8.

My prediction for the seedings

2- Hornets
3- Spurs
4- Jazz
5- Rockets
6- Suns
7- Mavs.
8- Nuggets

1st Round

Nuggets @ Lakers
Mavs @ Hornets
Suns @ Spurs
Jazz @ Rockets

erichubert
04-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Lakers and Hornets have clinched the top 2 seeds. The key matchups really tomorrow is Jazz-Spurs and Hornets-Mavs. I think Rockets and Suns beat their respective ousted opponents easily. I see the Spurs edging the Jazz, so that puts Spurs no. 3, Jazz no. 4, Rockets no.5 and Suns no. 6. The interesting situation would be in the Hornets game, they can technically choose their opponent in the first round, they can tank the game and allow Denver to get the 7th seed and face them or they can play hard and beat the Mavs to face them in the first round. I think they lose this game and get Denver in the first round.

joelex
04-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Lakers and Hornets have clinched the top 2 seeds. The key matchups really tomorrow is Jazz-Spurs and Hornets-Mavs. I think Rockets and Suns beat their respective ousted opponents easily. I see the Spurs edging the Jazz, so that puts Spurs no. 3, Jazz no. 4, Rockets no.5 and Suns no. 6. The interesting situation would be in the Hornets game, they can technically choose their opponent in the first round, they can tank the game and allow Denver to get the 7th seed and face them or they can play hard and beat the Mavs to face them in the first round. I think they lose this game and get Denver in the first round.

you mean if they tank the game and allow the mavs to win, denver gets 7th? ???

Mikhail
04-16-2008, 04:28 PM
If Dallas wins against NO, they face the Hornets in the 1st round. If they lose, they face the Lakers.

As Mavs fan, I'm hoping they win. Kobe eats Dallas alive everytime they play. :D

erichubert
04-16-2008, 04:53 PM

you mean if they tank the game and allow the mavs to win, denver gets 7th?* ???

Oops got the situation reversed, they tank the game, Mavs get 7th and play them, they beat the Mavs, they get Denver. :)

mighty_lion
04-16-2008, 04:59 PM
Suns vs Spurs sa first round? WTF! :-X

CM_Punk
04-16-2008, 05:12 PM
Too bad Golden State didn't make it to the playoffs. They were a fun team to watch, and it would have been interesting to see if they could duplicate the magic of their playoff run last year. I hope their two 1st rounders of 2007, Marco Belinelli and Brandan Wright, get more playing time next season.

marmand
04-16-2008, 07:17 PM
Too bad Golden State didn't make it to the playoffs. They were a fun team to watch, and it would have been interesting to see if they could duplicate the magic of their playoff run last year. I hope their two 1st rounders of 2007, Marco Belinelli and Brandan Wright, get more playing time next season.

J-Rich was a big lost for them. He was their 3rd go to guy and insurance whenever Jackson had an off night.

cub
04-16-2008, 07:28 PM
actually, J-Rich was the Warriors 2nd option last season. he was better compared to Jackson.

Phx-Sas would be a nice match up. i think the team who will win this series will represent the West in the Finals. as a suns fan, i know Phx can beat the Spurs in 6. rememnber, they have the Spurs' number this season. (3-1) :P

marmand
04-16-2008, 07:54 PM
If Dallas wins against NO, they face the Hornets in the 1st round. If they lose, they face the Lakers.

As Mavs fan, I'm hoping they win. Kobe eats Dallas alive everytime they play. :D

The Mavs will erase the stigma of last year's debacle if they go on to upset the Lakers. If they do this, I think they go all the way to the finals. They will have so much confidence that it will carry them in the western playoffs.

Am still hoping the Rockets gets a series this year but with all the injuries ( you can add Alston to Yao and Francis ) it looks bleak. :(

flsfnoeraekadad
04-16-2008, 08:54 PM
Lakers vs Denver

The revival of the Rapist chants. ;D

marmand
04-16-2008, 10:01 PM
Is it a big possibility that the next NBA Champion comes from the East? With the western playoffs being so difficult and every team in the west beating each other up, the Eastern champion will be sitting back and waiting for a tired Western Champion.

tigerman
04-16-2008, 10:12 PM
^ Yes its very possible. Especially since the East is practically a 2-way fight between Detroit and Boston. Sorry Orlando fans, winning 50 games but losing at home to the likes of Minnesota and New York?* :o

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

marmand
04-16-2008, 10:22 PM
I dont see the Cavs doing anything great this playoffs. LBJ is banged up and the new additions are not really contributing. Contributing in a way that LBJ does not have to shoulder Scoring, Rebounding, and others. The trade does not look good. It ties the Cavs down with salaries that would prevent them from adding young pieces to its core for the future. They invested for this season and maybe next but after?

marmand
04-17-2008, 09:57 AM
Mavs just beat the Hornets 111-98. Mavs becomes the 7th seed and face the Hornets in the first round. Looked like they really wanted the Hornets as their opponent in the 1st round and not the Lakers. ;D

The_Big_Cat
04-17-2008, 10:09 AM
Lakers vs Denver

That's was the Kobe thing with the spa girl. ;D

marmand
04-17-2008, 10:13 AM
^ You got your wish. 1st round Lakers vs. Nuggets. ;D

erichubert
04-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Lakers vs Denver

That's was the Kobe thing with the spa girl. ;D

If I'm Denver, I wouldn't want to give Kobe any additional motivation. I think they would throw off Kobe's game more by chanting M-V-P than by chanting rapists.

marmand
04-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Man for man. Denver has enough fire power to take on the Lakers. Its the defensive side of things that would tilt the favor to the Lakers.

Camby vs. Gasol
Anthony vs. Kobe
Iverson vs. Fisher
Martin vs. Odom
Carter vs. sasha or who ever Phil puts at SG/SF

Bench

Klieza vs. Radmanovic ( spelling ? )
Smith vs. Walton

This is assuming that Bynum and Ariza do not make it to the playoffs due to injuries.

tigerman
04-17-2008, 11:51 AM
And Phil Jackson >>> George Karl

Meanwhile, it will be Dallas vs. New Orleans in the 1st round.
A lot of subplots here:
- CP3's 1st playoff appearance
- Can Dirk rebound from his sluggish performance in last season's playoffs?
- How many gas is there left for Jason Kidd? Can he keep up with the new pg sensation in CP3?
- Jason Kidd vs. Byron Scott (There are rumors that Kidd was one of those behind the latter's ouster as NJ coach)

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

marmand
04-17-2008, 12:17 PM
With the victories of the Spurs and Rockets, The cast is set for the Western Conference Playoffs.

Nuggets @ Lakers
Mavs @ Hornets
Suns @ Spurs
Jazz @ Rockets

Lets get ready to rumble! ;D

The_Big_Cat
04-17-2008, 12:39 PM
The Lakers swept the Nuggets in their regular season series, 3-0.
I will say the Lakers in 6 games against Denver in the first round.

marmand
04-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Let the predictions start for the first round. ;D

Nugget @ Lakers - Lakers in 6
Mavs @ Hornets - Mavs in 7
Suns @ Spurs - Suns in 6
Jazz @ Rockets - Rockets in 7 ;D

Hawks @ Celtics - Hawks in 4 ( Joke!!!! ) Celtics via sweep
76ers @ Pistons - Pistons in 5
Raptors @ Magic - Magic in 7
Wizards @ Cavs - Cavs in 6

BigBlue
04-17-2008, 01:31 PM
my fearless prediction is that this year's champion will come from the East, so either Boston or Detroit. I'd go for Detroit. magpapatayan ang mga team sa West, pagdating ng Finals, baka lupaypay na ang kung sino mang umabot galing dun.

But having said that, the Suns fan in me still can't help but scream: THE SUNS WILL BE NBA CHAMPS.

erichubert
04-17-2008, 01:39 PM
My predictions are Lakers in 5, Mavs in 6, Spurs in 7, Jazz in 6. Lakers over Jazz in 6, Spurs over Mavs in 6. In the WCF, Lakers over Spurs in 7. In the east, the first two rounds would not be watchable, unless Lebron comes up with a super human effort and lifts the Cavs again, it would be Celtics over the Pistons in 6. I am still going for the Lakers to win it all.

Dark Knight
04-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Let one of the classic rivalries in the NBA be relive!!!!!!!!!!

Boston Celtics vs the LA Lakers for the 2008 NBA Finals!!!!!!

With Boston winning in 6... ;D

tigerman
04-17-2008, 02:09 PM
WEST
Spurs vs. Suns - Spurs in 7
Mavs vs. Hornets - Mavs in 6
Lakers vs. Nuggets - Lakers in 5
Rockets vs. Jazz - Rockets in 7

EAST
Celtics vs. Hawks - Celtics in 4
Pistons vs. Sixers - Pistons in 5
Magic vs. Raptors - Magic in 6
Wizards vs. Cavs - Wizards in 6

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

mighty_lion
04-17-2008, 02:27 PM
WEST
Spurs vs. Suns - Spurs in 7
Mavs vs. Hornets - Mavs in 6
Lakers vs. Nuggets - Lakers in 5
Rockets vs. Jazz - Rockets in 7

EAST
Celtics vs. Hawks - Celtics in 4
Pistons vs. Sixers - Pistons in 5
Magic vs. Raptors - Magic in 6
Wizards vs. Cavs - Wizards in 6

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

West:
- Lakers path going to the WCF is too easy IMO. Beating the Nuggets, Jazz or the Rockets is as easy as eating cheese sticks.
- I predict a Suns over Spurs and Mavs over Hornets. Then Suns over Mavs. Walang bias yun mga bro. ;D
- WCF between Lakers and Suns.

East
- Celtics over Hawks. But I do think there is a slight percentage for an upset here. JJ, Bibby and Smith are all fit and healthy coming to the playoffs.
- Wizards over Cavs
- Detroit over Sixers via sweep
- Magic over Raptors
- ECF between Celtics and Detroit.

coreytaylor
04-17-2008, 03:05 PM
masyado nyo naman minamaliit ang atlanta ha..... i got a strong feeling that :-X will win this.....

marmand
04-17-2008, 03:11 PM
^ Unlike the Mavs last year where they were number 1 and lost to the Warriors, the Celtics have three veteran players that know how to take charge or be a leader for the Celtics. The Hawks are athletic but VERY YOUNG. ( with the exception of Bibby )

coreytaylor
04-17-2008, 03:17 PM
^ true but they cant underestimate atlanta coz if they do......

The_Big_Cat
04-17-2008, 03:38 PM
my fearless prediction is that this year's champion will come from the East, so either Boston or Detroit. I'd go for Detroit. magpapatayan ang mga team sa West, pagdating ng Finals, baka lupaypay na ang kung sino mang umabot galing dun.

Well said. :)
I really like Boston in the East.
You got to watch that San Antonio vs. Phoenix in the first round. We'll see if the Shaq trade will pay off. Phoenix with Shaq beat the Spurs in San Antonio just almost 2 weeks ago.

flsfnoeraekadad
04-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Spurs vs. Suns. Only one team is coming out alive.

Ayyyyyyyyyylabet.

Our battlecry: GET THAT 15TH TITLE FOR A SWEETER 60TH YEAR ANNIVERSARY.

The Lakers are as dead-serious as the others about winning now.

Game 1 of Lakers-Nuggets @ Staples Center:

Sunday 12PM Pacific Time; 3 PM Eastern Time
Monday 3 AM Manila Time

@ ABC Sports.

marmand
04-17-2008, 04:20 PM
The playoffs start Saturday ( Sunday in Manila )

Washington @ Cleveland
Phoenix @ San Antonio
Dallas @ New Orleans
Utah @ Houston

flsfnoeraekadad
04-17-2008, 04:25 PM
The playoffs start Saturday ( Sunday in Manila )

Washington @ Cleveland
Phoenix @ San Antonio
Dallas @ New Orleans
Utah @ Houston

Sir, wala ho bang mga times? Kahit US time nalang, madali naman i-convert to MNL time e.

marmand
04-17-2008, 04:30 PM
Washington vs. Cleveland 12:30 PM ( Eastern Time )
Phoenix vs. San Antonio 3:00 PM
Dallas vs. New Orleans 7:00 PM
Utah vs. Houston 9:30 PM

Mikhail
04-17-2008, 05:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nUnUi-XMKs <-#6 has gotta be the play of the year ;D

flsfnoeraekadad
04-17-2008, 05:23 PM
Is the guy Gerald Green?

CM_Punk
04-17-2008, 05:36 PM
#22 of Minnesota is Corey Brewer, the number 6 highlight in the video. Gerald Green was traded to Houston last Feb. but was released, and is now a free agent.

Dark Knight
04-17-2008, 07:10 PM
Boston Celtics......DRIVE FOR 17!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its high time for Pierce to win a championship.

stonecold316
04-17-2008, 07:15 PM
#22 of Minnesota is Corey Brewer, the number 6 highlight in the video. Gerald Green was traded to Houston last Feb. but was released, and is now a free agent.

bakit siya na trade punk?

stonecold316

stonecold316
04-17-2008, 07:16 PM
I want to see a Boston vs LA NBA Finals.

This will surely be a classic.

stonecold316

cub
04-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Green was traded for Snyder CMIIW. Pierce once said that Green has a poor work ethic so that would be the reason behind getting traded often.

if the Suns could beat the Spurs, i think they will represent the West and face the PISTONS in the finals.

The_Big_Cat
04-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Since the NBA regular season is finished. The individual awards will be given in the coming weeks. One of the first awards is the MOST IMPROVED PLAYER. Here are some of the candidates that elevated their performance from a year ago.

Hedo Turkoglu (Orlando)
Rudy Gay (Memphis)
David West (New Orleans)

marmand
04-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Green was traded for Kirk Snyder because the T-Wolves had an overload of SG/SF. ( Brewer, McCants and others ) With the Rockets, Green only played in only one game. ( the game vs. the Wizards, the day Yao Ming announced his injury ) People were saying that his basketball IQ was low and that he does not play defense. He was cut by the Rockets three weeks after the trade to make room for Mike Harris. Three weeks ago, the Nuggets were interested in him but he did not sign with them because he refused to sign a two year deal. Odd for a player who has no team to reject an offer.

CM_Punk
04-17-2008, 07:36 PM
I have also been following the career of Gerald Green, who was one of the top prospects coming out of high school in 2005 (along with Josh McRoberts), and there have been reports saying that for all his talents, Gerald has a poor work ethic, and doesn't work hard to improve other aspects of his game besides dunking.

His season stats in Minnesota-- 29 games played, 12.3 minutes per game, 5.1 PPG, 2.10 RPG, 1.0 APG. Houston decided to just cut him instead of keeping him on the roster after only 1 game. If you can't get off the bench and play for one of the worst teams in the league in the Timberwolves, that means that you're not working hard enough in practice. Still, Gerald is only 22 years old, so he can spend time in other basketball leagues, maturing (hopefully) and improving on his game to get another shot in the NBA.

marmand
04-17-2008, 07:51 PM
He will try again with his hometown team, Rockets this summer. Rockets GM Morey likes the potential of Green and knows him so well since he worked with him when both were still working for the Celtics.

aircanda
04-17-2008, 07:54 PM
tie na lang sana si West and Turkoglu.. both guys are essential for their teams and both have really showed great improvement.. sila na lang manalo parang kidd and hill in their rookie year.. ;D

aircanda
04-17-2008, 07:58 PM
im rooting for Phoenix kahit na hardcore LBJ fan ako...

guys.. matanda na si Nash and Hill.. pagbigyan naman naten.. ;D at bigyan naman naten ng championship ang team na nagpabago ng laro sa NBA at linagyan ng konteng twist by running everytime they have the ball.. ;D

marmand
04-17-2008, 08:13 PM
Not the Suns, Shaq has 4 rings na. Why not T-mac or Dirk sa west and the Big three sa Boston. :D

aircanda
04-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Not the Suns, Shaq has 4 rings na. Why not T-mac or Dirk sa west and the Big three sa Boston. :D

kaya nga nanghihingi na si Steve Nash ng tulong kay Shaq eh.. haha.. Imo bro, si Nash ang pinaka deserving to get a ring at this point compared to those guys that you have mentioned.. just look at what happened to him and the Suns in the past 3 seasons.. laging may kasamang malas lang when they are poised to win it all.. unang season, injury ni joe johnson, second season amare naman.. last season.. kalokohang suspension kila amare and boris.. so parang please.. pagbigyan naman.. ;D :D masipag naman eh.. hahaha

mighty_lion
04-17-2008, 09:05 PM
I have also been following the career of Gerald Green, who was one of the top prospects coming out of high school in 2005 (along with Josh McRoberts), and there have been reports saying that for all his talents, Gerald has a poor work ethic, and doesn't work hard to improve other aspects of his game besides dunking.

His season stats in Minnesota-- 29 games played, 12.3 minutes per game, 5.1 PPG, 2.10 RPG, 1.0 APG. Houston decided to just cut him instead of keeping him on the roster after only 1 game. If you can't get off the bench and play for one of the worst teams in the league in the Timberwolves, that means that you're not working hard enough in practice. Still, Gerald is only 22 years old, so he can spend time in other basketball leagues, maturing (hopefully) and improving on his game to get another shot in the NBA.

Green was projected as the next Tmac way back then. Turned out to be a bust.

mighty_lion
04-17-2008, 09:19 PM
WTF again! Atlanta missed the right point guard with thier 10th pick last year. They should have drafted Ramon Sessions instead of Acie Law. ;D

Sessions stats this April after starting for the Bucks. 11 points 11 assists 5 rebounds in 10 games. Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Steve Nash and Jason Kidd hall of fame stint is in jeopardy. Sessions just had 20 points and 24 assists the other day.

marmand
04-17-2008, 09:28 PM

kaya nga nanghihingi na si Steve Nash ng tulong kay Shaq eh.. haha.. Imo bro, si Nash ang pinaka deserving to get a ring at this point compared to those guys that you have mentioned.. just look at what happened to him and the Suns in the past 3 seasons.. laging may kasamang malas lang when they are poised to win it all.. unang season, injury ni joe johnson, second season amare naman.. last season.. kalokohang suspension kila amare and boris.. so parang please.. pagbigyan naman.. ;D :D masipag naman eh.. hahaha

::) ::) ;D

dark_seid
04-17-2008, 11:41 PM
let's put it these way ...
which superstar do you want to go out crying in the 1st round (let's just throw the probability of it happening out of the window ... makes it hard for a sports discussion eh)?

my list
#1 - shaq
#2 - kobe-kidd (tie)
#4 - lebron

marmand
04-17-2008, 11:47 PM
1 - Kobe

thats all. ;D

aircanda
04-18-2008, 06:34 AM
^^
Dirk.. peace sa mga Mavs fan dyan ;D

mighty_lion
04-18-2008, 07:53 AM
1. Tmac +1. Why me lord? Pagbigyan nyo naman ako ng 2nd round playoff sa career ko. ;D
2. Gasol. Very unlikely but to pull another Tmac story (first round exits) will be sweet. ;D

CM_Punk
04-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Green was projected as the next Tmac way back then.* Turned out to be a bust.

T-Mac had culture shock his first year in Toronto, and was considered as an immature kid out of high school who didn't work hard enough, similar to the criticisms against Gerald Green. But by his 2nd year, Tracy started to work harder (maybe because his cousin Vince Carter was now his teammate), and became an NBA star when he joined Orlando after 3 years with Toronto. Green needs someone to kick his butt and get him motivated in order for him to ever become a decent player in the NBA.

The_Big_Cat
04-18-2008, 10:19 AM
The first round match-up between Phoenix and San Antonio will be the most watched among all first round match-ups. "The Big Aristotle" vs. "The Big Fundamental". Personally, I would love to see Steve Nash get past the West Finals.
Go Phoenix!

In the East, Cleveland vs. Washington. This will be their third straight playoff series match-up with the Cavs beating them in the previous two. Cleveland has made a lot of changes regarding LeBron's support crew and that could play a factor in the entire series. Washington has played well without star Gilbert Arenas. A wonderful job by Eddie Jordan, perhaps a candidate for Coach of the Year? Talentwise mas lamang ang Cavs pero as a team I like the Wizards' chemistry.

flsfnoeraekadad
04-18-2008, 11:13 AM
1. lebron
2. lebron
3. lebron

;D

marmand
04-18-2008, 11:15 AM
With a hurting LBJ and a team searching for an identity, The Cavs will not make an impact like last year. Chemistry is not yet there and some of the new guys look lost at times during the games. Look for Agent 0 and Jamison to take advantage of this and steal a game ( or two ) in Cleveland.

erichubert
04-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Lebron, TMac, Shaq and the whole Phoenix team. Pag na-out yang 3 teams na yan, masaya na ako.

aircanda
04-18-2008, 08:37 PM
With a hurting LBJ and a team searching for an identity, The Cavs will not make an impact like last year. Chemistry is not yet there and some of the new guys look lost at times during the games. Look for Agent 0 and Jamison to take advantage of this and steal a game ( or two ) in Cleveland.

maybe they'll peak sa tamang time.. ;D

i believe in you lebron..

The_Big_Cat
04-18-2008, 08:55 PM

Maybe we'll see what the additions of West, Wallace, Smith, etc. will do for the Cavs. I think Washington may take this one away from Cleveland and it may go the distance (7 games).

marmand
04-18-2008, 09:27 PM

Maybe we'll see what the additions of West, Wallace, Smith, etc. will do for the Cavs. I think Washington may take this one away from Cleveland and it may go the distance (7 games).

I agree that if there would be an upset in the East it would be Washington beating Cleveland. I dont see any chemistry among the Cavaliers and Agent 0 has to make up for missing half of the season.

john_paul_manahan
04-19-2008, 02:29 AM
ranking the series in appeal:

(tie) 1. suns-spurs: the storylines from last year. shaq. TD. this is guaranteed 7-gamer. and trust me, bruce bowen will do something.
(tie) 1. wiz-cavs: agent 0 vs. the new 23. hopefully version 3.0 will be even better.
3. hornets-mavs: we all wait in baiting breath as to what cp3 will do in the playoffs.
4. jazz-rockets: hmmm... can the jazz do it again?
5. lakers-nuggets: the glitz, the glam. the DUI. finally, pau gets to win a game.
6. celtics-hawks: hawks end drought. but their stay will be short.
7. pistons-sixers: hmmm.... i thought the sixers were rebuilding? but would it be odd if philly lasts longer than the nuggets?
8. magic - raptors: superman vs nba euroball

w's: it did not help they started 0-5 this season (thanks to captain jack firing his gun in the air back in his pacer days).

however, what if they get the top pick this draft. i can only salivate. then the clips get #2. better yet, what if the blazers get the #1 pick?

marmand
04-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Chances of getting the top pick ( even a top 5 pick ) for both the Blazers and Warriors are very slim to none. Warriors would probably get the 13-14th spot while the Blazers 12-13th spot. The Warriors just did not tale advantage when their schedule was light/easy. They were just unlucky to have a tough April schedule. Blazers will be scary. If they get a break and get a permission on the waiver of Dairus Miles then they can add another piece to the puzzle.

Imagine this for the Blazers:

C- Oden
PF - Aldridge
SF - Outlaw
SG - Free agent or Webster
PG - Roy

Bench - Frye, Rodriguez, Blake, Jack, Joel P.,James Jones, Draft and maybe Rudy Fernandez ( not the Actor ;D )

Calling Agent 0 ;D ;D ;D

The_Big_Cat
04-19-2008, 12:18 PM

C- Oden
PF - Aldridge
SF - Outlaw
PG - Roy

Bench - Frye, Rodriguez, Blake, Jack, Joel P.,James Jones, Draft and maybe Rudy Fernandez ( not the Actor ;D )
Calling Agent 0 ;D ;D ;D

Brandon Roy is not a PG. He is their shooting guard. I think they are set with Steve Blake at the point since he was signed a free-agent from last year. Webster is a shooter, he started many games for them at the SF. They will want shooters to circle around Oden and Aldridge. While Outlaw is the energizer off the bench.

This will be one hell of a team to watch out for next season.

BigBlue
04-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Portland's chances of getting the 1st pick last year were already slim, but they still got it. Same for Milwaukee the previous year. The weirdest things happen in the NBA draft.

The_Big_Cat
04-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Portland's chances of getting the 1st pick last year were already slim, but they still got it. Same for Milwaukee the previous year. The weirdest things happen in the NBA draft.

It would definitely be weird if Portland do wind up again with the number 1 selection. But the NBA has a system that will not let a franchise get the number 1 selection in consecutive years in the lottery process.

The basis for this was the Orlando Magic, they got Shaq at number 1 in the 1992 NBA Draft. The following year, Orlando got again the number 1 selection and picked Chris Webber as the number 1 overall pick in the 1993 NBA Draft. However, the Magic traded Webber to Golden State in exchange for number 7 pick Anfernee "Penny" Hardaway.

BigBlue
04-19-2008, 01:16 PM
may rule ba na ganun? IIRC, Orlando traded for Penny because they wanted a strong guard to play alongside Shaq, Orlando also received three first-round draft picks in that trade. Oh, and Penny was actually drafted 3rd, not 7th. I dont recall anything about the NBA forcing the Magic to do the trade.

AnthonyServinio
04-19-2008, 01:25 PM
may rule ba na ganun? IIRC, Orlando traded for Penny because they wanted a strong guard to play alongside Shaq, Orlando also received three first-round draft picks in that trade. Oh, and Penny was actually drafted 3rd, not 7th. I dont recall anything about the NBA forcing the Magic to do the trade.

NO such rule existed regarding trading top rookie picks, the NBA teams are free to do what they want. What the NBA did after Orlando won the Draft Lottery two years in a row was to revise the system by toughening the odds or probabilities of such an event occuring again.

The_Big_Cat
04-19-2008, 03:01 PM
^Correct. They revised the lottery process.

The_Big_Cat
04-19-2008, 03:09 PM

The Magic already had Shaq on their lineup. They already had a big man and were lacking a point guard. So they dealt Webber for Anfernee Hardaway. The next year they acquired Horace Grant from free agency, thus making their team complete. The starters being: Anfernee Hardaway (PG), Nick Anderson (SG), Dennis Scott (SF), Horace Grant (PF) and Shaq (C). The 94-95 season saw them reaching the NBA finals. They also tied an NBA-best 40-1 home record in the 94-95 regular season.
:)

marmand
04-19-2008, 05:23 PM
^Correct. They revised the lottery process.

Speaking of the lottery process, It will follow this process. The teams entered in the lottery, to be held May 20, 2008, at the NBA Entertainment studio in Secaucus, N.J., are as follows. (Note: The first three picks in the Draft will be determined by the lottery and the remainder of the “lottery teams” will select in positions 4 through 14 in inverse order of their consolidated standings at the end of the regular season):

cub
04-19-2008, 07:40 PM
Chances of getting the top pick ( even a top 5 pick ) for both the Blazers and Warriors are very slim to none. Warriors would probably get the 13-14th spot while the Blazers 12-13th spot. The Warriors just did not tale advantage when their schedule was light/easy. They were just unlucky to have a tough April schedule. Blazers will be scary. If they get a break and get a permission on the waiver of Dairus Miles then they can add another piece to the puzzle.

C- Oden
PF - Aldridge
SF - Outlaw
PG - Roy

Calling Agent 0 ;D ;D ;D

i see Hibachi still in a Wizards uniform next year. he once said that the Wizards organization can lower his salary just to sign Antawn Jamison.

mighty_lion
04-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Whether Roy is a PG or SG has been a subject of many debates. Based on the Portland games that I saw this year and last year, I think Roy is more of a PG than SG.

marmand
04-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Whether Roy is a PG or SG has been a subject of many debates. Based on the Portland games that I saw this year and last year, I think Roy is more of a PG than SG.

Agree, You could see in their offensive patterns that He plays PG.

marmand
04-19-2008, 08:09 PM

C- Oden
PF - Aldridge
SF - Outlaw
PG - Roy

Calling Agent 0 ;D ;D ;D

i see Hibachi still in a Wizards uniform next year. he once said that the Wizards organization can lower his salary just to sign Antawn Jamison.

In that case they can make a run for Richard Jefferson. The Nets want to rebuild and Jefferson and Marcus Williams are possible trade baits. The Blazers have enough draft picks and expiring contracts to make things work.

The_Big_Cat
04-19-2008, 08:20 PM
^ I think the best place for Jefferson is in Phoenix since he played college ball at Arizona. The Phoenix small forward position is badly depleted with the trade of Shawn Marion and the "aging" Grant Hill.

marmand
04-19-2008, 08:25 PM
^ I think the best place for Jefferson is in Phoenix since he played college ball at Arizona. The Phoenix small forward position is badly depleted with the trade of Shawn Marion and the "aging" Grant Hill.

No salary cap and no expiring contracts. Not much picks to offer too.

cub
04-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Phoenix has atlanta's first round pick this year. also, they have the trade exception, CMIIW. RJ might be a good fit for the Suns but salary cap will be the problem. Shaq is getting $20M per year while Amare is like $15M, Nash $12M and Diaw $9M. (this is for 2008-09)

stonecold316
04-20-2008, 04:00 AM
Magiging action pack ang padating na NBA play-offs.

Sa West, favorite ko will be the LA Lakers.

Sa East, it will be Boston.

so LA vs Boston sa Finals sakin.

and LA winning its 15th NBA title.

stonecold316

Dark Knight
04-20-2008, 09:52 AM
Opening games results

Cavs 93, Wiz 86
Spurs 117 , Suns 115 2OT
Hornets 104 , Mavs 92

Rockets, Jazz still playing

marmand
04-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Hack a Shaq still works. ;D

cub
04-20-2008, 11:12 AM
the Spurs did a hack-a-Skinner too. pansin ko lang, they do this after a Duncan missed freethrow. IDK kung nagkataon lang un. pero a nice game for the Suns. they led by as much as 16points in the second q, and controlled the whole game until Finley hit the three to force an OT. i thought the Suns will win after the 1st OT, but of all people, duncan HIT A THREE to send the game into 2OT with stat in the sidelines with 6fouls.

IMO, Bell should force Manu to go to his right side. i think there were two instances wherein Manu went to his right and missed his lay ups.

joelex
04-20-2008, 12:30 PM
as of game 1, kerr=moron. ;D

Dark Knight
04-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Jazz 93, Rockets 82

The_Big_Cat
04-20-2008, 12:55 PM
as of game 1, kerr=moron. ;D

Let's do it this way:

Genius games - 0
Moron games - 1
;D :P

tigerman
04-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Spurs vs. Suns
Tim Duncan's game-tying trey in the 1st overtime was his 1st conversion from beyond the arc for this season. ;D
Malas nga lang ng Suns sa kanila nangyari yun.

Hornets vs. Mavs
Chris Paul is for real. 35 points and 10 assists in his 1st playoff game vs. Kidd and co.? Wow! Can we have co-mvp's for this season? Both CP3 and Kobe are really deserving...

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

marmand
04-20-2008, 03:05 PM
So far no surprises on the first day of the playoffs. Teams that were suppose to win, won. The best game of the day has to be the Suns-Spurs. The Suns led all the way and had chances to close game 1 with a win but a an error by Nash ( surprised that he did not manage the shot clock well. )and a lapse in defense on Finley shifted the game in favor of the Spurs.

cub
04-20-2008, 04:18 PM
actually that 3point shot by Finley was not a result of defensive lapse on the Suns' side. that was a well run play by Pop.

tigerman
04-21-2008, 09:17 AM
^ And Duncan's three-pointer was a result of Shaq underestimating his shooting beyond the arc. ;D

On the 2nd day of the playoffs, an upset was made. Philly won the opener over the Pistons. But I still see the latter winning the series as they're known to be a slow starter.

Lakers defeated the Nuggets 128-114. Gasol almost had a 3-d in his first playoff win while Kobe struggled shooting just 9 for 26. However, given the leech-like defense of Denver, I believe that Kobe would torch them especially if accompanied by rapist chants from the fans at Pepsi Center.

In other games, Magic won over the Raptors 114-100 while the Celtics vs. Hawks game is still playing as of this writing.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

mighty_lion
04-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Ang sakit sa puso ng Suns-Spurs game kahapon. It will hurt more as it will be re-aired lateron as one of Duncan's greatest games. :'( Indeed, great players nail it when it matters. Congrats to the Spurs for the win yesterday.

Dark Knight
04-21-2008, 10:01 AM
76ers shocked Pistons 90 - 86

Lakers bulldozes Nuggets 128 - 114

Orlando beat the crap out of Toronto 114 - 100

The_Big_Cat
04-21-2008, 10:18 AM
I still see the Phoenix Suns winning that series against San Antonio.
:)

john_paul_manahan
04-21-2008, 10:37 AM
sabi nga. spurs-suns game 1 is a really nice way to start the "real" season.

marmand
04-21-2008, 10:41 AM
76ers are really surprising a lot of people. Early December, they were considering just playing with winning the lottery in their minds. They traded their best shooter ( Korver ) and did not use his replacement that much ( Giriciek-spelling? ) Imagine a 76ers team with Korver still there. :o

The_Big_Cat
04-21-2008, 10:54 AM
76ers are really surprising a lot of people. Early December, they were considering just playing with winning the lottery in their minds. They traded their best shooter ( Korver ) and did not use his replacement that much ( Giriciek-spelling? ) Imagine a 76ers team with Korver still there. :o

That would be short-lived.
Hindi kasi nakapag kape ang mga Pistons. ;D
Ayan gising na sila.

marmand
04-21-2008, 11:04 AM
OO nga. ;D But its fun to cheer for the underdog.

King_stag
04-21-2008, 12:55 PM
expect detroit to bounce back strong ;D

nash_bedista
04-21-2008, 01:45 PM
verrrrrrrrrrrrryyyy stttrroonnng i should say... ;D

erichubert
04-21-2008, 02:18 PM
Denver also shocked San Antonio in the first game last year, but they lost 4 in a row after that, so I think Detroit would still pull this out. The Suns-Spurs series will go down to the wire, but I think the Spurs will still win, nothing against the Suns but I say Tim Duncan and Manu will still be too much for them, unless Shaq starts to play better without fouling.

marmand
04-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Its tough to call the Suns-Spurs match-up because both teams are deep in talent and experience. One thing for sure is that its going to be a dog fight every single game. The team that wins this series could really represent the West in the Finals.

The_Big_Cat
04-21-2008, 08:50 PM
The Lakers are now 23-5 since the Gasol trade.

The Suns are now 19-12 since the Shaq trade.

CM_Punk
04-21-2008, 09:50 PM
I still think that there will be no upsets in East, and the top 4 seeds shall advance to the next round. Boston vs. Cleveland, Detroit vs. Orlando in the 2nd round would be more competitive.

marmand
04-21-2008, 10:11 PM
The biggest possibility for an upset in the East would be the Wizards over the Cavs. The question there is can Agent 0 and Caron get back in game shape and make a run at the Cavs.

flsfnoeraekadad
04-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Kung Suns believer ka, medyo nakakapang-hina ang first game result. Panalo na, natalo pa!

erichubert
04-22-2008, 09:38 AM
Cleveland routed the Wizards today, impressive game by Lebron. You really have to give it to him, when play-off time comes, he comes ready to play. A lot of people had the Wizards upsetting the Cavs including me, doesn't look it would happen.

flsfnoeraekadad
04-22-2008, 10:27 AM
The biggest possibility for an upset in the East would be the Wizards over the Cavs. The question there is can Agent 0 and Caron get back in game shape and make a run at the Cavs.

Although the Cavs just held home-court, I really don't think this is a possibility now -- unless the Wiz pull a bag of tricks to stop LeBron.

marmand
04-22-2008, 11:01 AM
Right. Expected more from the Wizards but anything can still happen.

flsfnoeraekadad
04-22-2008, 11:53 AM
The Rockets have to win tonight... or they are going to get swept.

flsfnoeraekadad
04-22-2008, 12:15 PM
The Rockets have to win tonight... or they are going to get swept.

They lost. T-Mac will still be a second-round virgin, eh?

joelex
04-22-2008, 12:24 PM
off season pondering: should the rockets give the yao-tmac one more try? or should they try to find a better complement to surround the great wall and trade tmac, while he still holds some value.

marmand
04-22-2008, 12:38 PM
^ Stick it out for one more year then see if they can do something special. What a call by the ref. It should have been none call. It could have been tied.

The_Big_Cat
04-22-2008, 12:46 PM
Obviously, without Yao Ming in the lineup the Rockets are a weak team. I don't see Houston beating the Jazz in their homecourt.

I think they should start rebuilding this team. Keeping Yao and probably surround him the players suited for his style of play. Tracy McGrady's health again is hurting the Rockets this season again. Back spasms and now strained shoulders. It seems that he cannot get into the right "health form" for Houston to be a competitive playoff team. McGrady hasn't played a complete 82-game regular season since joining the Rockets.It would be their fifth straight playoff series defeat if the Jazz beats them.

marmand
04-22-2008, 01:10 PM
Beating the Jazz was really highly improbable especially without Yao and Alston. ( not to mention Francis ) Next year, should be their last year as a duo, If they cant advance then they might just trade T-Mac. We all know what Yao means to the Rockets, on court and off court. They have the pieces and can just add another one with their MLE. Its a pity that when it matters, bad luck has followed them since 1997. Down 0-2 and going to Utah, The Rockets will be lucky not to be swept.

tigerman
04-22-2008, 01:19 PM
I don't know what the ref was smoking that time but that was not an offensive foul. AK47 was Manuesque on that play.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

joelex
04-22-2008, 01:30 PM
guys, do you think the haywood foul on LBJ in game 2 was an F2 as it was called, or was it overreaction the part of the refs, i.e., superstar call.

marmand
04-22-2008, 01:30 PM
NABRO in the NBA. ;D ;D ;D

The_Big_Cat
04-22-2008, 01:38 PM
guys, do you think the haywood foul on LBJ in game 2 was an F2 as it was called, or was it overreaction the part of the refs, i.e., superstar call.

Probably yes. You have also to consider if the refs didn't call that an F2 perhaps you might see a retaliation from other Cavs player. The ref needed to call that so it would not get out of control.

flsfnoeraekadad
04-22-2008, 04:21 PM

Doesn't matter. They blew out WSH anyway.

cub
04-22-2008, 09:51 PM

should be a flagrant 1. sigurado ako, kung si Devin Brown ang tinulak ni Haywood, F1 lang un. well, iba kasi ang treatment sa superstar.

Joescoundrel
04-22-2008, 11:25 PM
^^^ The NBA is as big as big business can get in the US. ALWAYS protect your bottom line. 8)

tigerman
04-23-2008, 09:30 AM
CP3 is making a mockery of the whole Dallas defense. He will either make plays for his teammates or take it upon himself to score. 32 points and 17 assists in his 2nd playoff game, wow!!!

So much for us fans underestimating him and New Orleans because of the lack of playoff experience.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

tigerman
04-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Where are you Mr. Devin Harris? - Mark Cuban

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

flsfnoeraekadad
04-23-2008, 10:10 AM
www.fireavery.com

;D

tigerman
04-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Another 20-20 game from Dwight as he led the Magic to a 2-0 lead over Toronto.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

marmand
04-23-2008, 12:01 PM
CP3 is making a mockery of the whole Dallas defense. He will either make plays for his teammates or take it upon himself to score. 32 points and 17 assists in his 2nd playoff game, wow!!!

So much for us fans underestimating him and New Orleans because of the lack of playoff experience.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

I agree with you. The Hornets are playing team basketball and are benefiting from their MVP. The test comes when they play on the road. Like the Jazz, If the Hornets can learn to play as consistent on the road, then they could well be on their way to the Finals. Bench production is their main concern.

MonL
04-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Kevin Garnett is voted as the 2008 Defensive Player of the Year. He becomes the first Boston player to win the award. If that award existed during the Russell Era, Bill would have won it every year in his NBA career.

marmand
04-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Spurs now 2-0 vs. Suns. I still see this series reaching 6 to 7 games. The winner will be the S ____.......... ;D

The_Big_Cat
04-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Spurs now 2-0 vs. Suns. I still see this series reaching 6 to 7 games. The winner will be the S ____.......... ;D

I love the Suns but the way they have played today, I'll have to change my sentiments against them.

After a terrific start in the first half. Amare scoring 20 pts while Shaq had 9 points with zero fouls in the first half.
The Suns lost their steam in the third quarter scoring only 11 points while shooting horribly from the floor. The Suns' suport crew (Diaw, Bell, Hill, Barbosa) were all not a factor.

The Spurs were terrific with Ginobili scoring above 25 points off the bench while getting 30points from Parker.

marmand
04-23-2008, 09:26 PM
It is still too tight to call the winner of the Spurs vs. Suns. The Spurs protected their home court and now its for the Suns ( a good home team ) to protect theirs. The pivotal game would be game 5. If the Spurs get one game in Phoenix then game 5 would be the closer for them but if they lose games 3 and 4 then the momentum might push the Suns to get game 5 and finish it off in game 6.

mighty_lion
04-23-2008, 09:52 PM

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

I agree with you. The Hornets are playing team basketball and are benefiting from their MVP. The test comes when they play on the road. Like the Jazz, If the Hornets can learn to play as consistent on the road, then they could well be on their way to the Finals.* Bench production is their main concern.

Most must have forgotten that Byron Scott lead the New Jersey Nets to finals appearance during the Shaq-Kobe Lakers (twice I think). If you will a take closer look, Nets and this Hornets team has one thing in common... a terrific point guard (Kidd and Paul).

jeffjan
04-24-2008, 12:21 AM
NJ Nets
2002 vs. Shaq and Kobe
2003 vs. TD, Manu and Tony

MonL
04-24-2008, 01:08 AM

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

I agree with you. The Hornets are playing team basketball and are benefiting from their MVP. The test comes when they play on the road. Like the Jazz, If the Hornets can learn to play as consistent on the road, then they could well be on their way to the Finals.* Bench production is their main concern.

Most must have forgotten that Byron Scott lead the New Jersey Nets to finals appearance during the Shaq-Kobe Lakers (twice I think). If you will a take closer look, Nets and this Hornets team has one thing in common... a terrific point guard (Kidd and Paul).

But the teams that won it all have that big guy in the middle who dominated the paint, and complemented the shooters and the playmakers. The Hornets and Mavs don't have that one piece that would matter in the end. Their MVPs(Paul and Nowitzki) may not have what it takes to carry their teams all the way. *

A little trivia on the Mavs: Too Early and Too Late

1) Kevin Garnett was drafted by Minnie with the 5th pick in 1995. Thirteen years before that, *Dallas picked a Garnett with the 4th overall pick in 1982 B.C.(Before Cuban :)): 6'9" Bill Garnett of Wyoming. Never did overcome the stereotype about white players. This following player profile says it all about Bill's game, after a bust of a rookie season:

"A schoolboy once remarked that 'The nice thing about Mr. Garnett is that he can unscrew a light bulb without using a ladder...' For the Mavs sake we hope that he can do more than that." :D

2) In 1985, The Mavs, picking 9th, selected Washington's Detlef Schrempf. Utah, with the 14th pick selected Louisiana Tech's Karl Malone. Much later at no. 16 and 17, Dallas picked 7-foot "matching bookends of uselessness" Bill Wennington and Uwe Blab.

In 1989, after missing out on the original Mailman, Dallas with the 8th pick chose Malone's heir at Louisiana Tech, 6'9' Randy White, who was dubbed as MailmanII. Despite the hype, he played five undistinguished seasons in the NBA. :P

The_Big_Cat
04-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Byron Scott has done a terrific job at New Orleans. Who would have it thought the Hornets would take the number 2 seed in the West after the regular season.

He has led the New Jersey Nets to two finals appearance (2002 & 2003). Indeed the common factor there is the point guards (Kidd & Paul). You have also two consider he played shooting guard in the showtime Lakers in the 1980s.

I think Byron Scott is a frontrunner to win this year's Coach of the Year. And
Hedo Turkoglu as the Most Improved Player of the Year.

coreytaylor
04-24-2008, 11:14 AM
leandro barbosa or manu ginobili for sixth man of the year

marmand
04-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Byron Scott has done a terrific job at New Orleans. Who would have it thought the Hornets would take the number 2 seed in the West after the regular season.

He has led the New Jersey Nets to two finals appearance (2002 & 2003). Indeed the common factor there is the point guards (Kidd & Paul). You have also two consider he played shooting guard in the showtime Lakers in the 1980s.

I think Byron Scott is a frontrunner to win this year's Coach of the Year. And
Hedo Turkoglu as the Most Improved Player of the Year.

The coach of the year should go to the coach of the champs. ( BUT this seldom happens ) Bottom line for playing in the NBA is winning it all so if you guide your team to its goal, the ultimate prize, then you deserve to be coach of the year.

Does anyone remember the last coach to win the championship and win the coach of the year?

BigBlue
04-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Pop, back in 2003

coreytaylor
04-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Dirk, Mavs figure things can’t get worse against Hornets

DALLAS (AP)—Dirk Nowitzki has it all figured out.

To snap out of their funk, and start climbing out of an 0-2 hole against the New Orleans Hornets, all the Dallas Mavericks have to do is get on the court Friday night in front of their home fans.

OK, he acknowledged, they also need to “play in attack mode,” which means getting more physical on both ends of the court.

And it would be great if they could play better defense and hit a few more open shots.

Turning to specifics, he mentioned needing to contain Chris Paul, needing to find ways to turn Jason Kidd into the playmaker he’s supposed to be and needing a reliable second option on offense.

But despite all those pesky, basketball-related issues, Nowitzki repeatedly returned Wednesday to the notion that being back in Dallas—where the Hornets haven’t won since January 1998—will cure all that ails the Mavs.

“We’ve got to believe that,” he said. “I think if we win on Friday, then everything will already look a lot better. Right now, it doesn’t look that good. But if we do all the things we did at home all year long—that’s play together, push the ball, make some shots and actually get some stops—we should be all right.”

Dallas led by the opener by 12 at halftime, but it’s been all New Orleans since.

The Hornets wound up taking Game 1 by 12, then doubled the margin in Game 2. The real eye-popping numbers have been put up by Paul, who went from 35 points and 10 assists in the first playoff game of his career to 32 points and 17 assists.

“The last six quarters on both ends of the court have probably been the best six quarters we’ve had all season long,” Hornets coach Byron Scott said.

Nowitzki is right about how much of a different one win could make. Being down 2-1, but coming off a win, is a world apart from being down 3-0 and hearing talk build about blowing up the team, firing the coach and all other doomsday scenarios.

The Mavs are at that kind of a crossroads.

Since being up 2-0 to the Miami Heat in the 2006 NBA finals, Dallas has lost 10 of its last 12 playoff games. The skid includes losing 4-2 to Golden State in the first round last year, wasting a 67-win regular season, and going down 2-0 in the first round this year.

“The guys are not happy with the way they’ve played,” coach Avery Johnson said. “They came in this morning and I saw some angry looks, but I hope we take that disappointment and controlled anger into practice tomorrow and iron out a couple of things and then take it out on our opponents.”

The anger seemed to subside by the time guys reached reporters.

Perpetually upbeat Jason Terry came out smiling “because we are back home where we are loved, away from all of that voodoo down there in New Orleans.” Then he echoed Nowitzki’s themes about the comfort of being cheered by their fans and about a Game 3 win changing everything.

Kidd talked about “taking a page from them in understanding to keep attacking.” The logic is fine, but it’s strange that a team filled with finals-tested veterans would have to learn about playoff poise from a group of postseason novices.

The last time the Hornets played in Dallas was the season finale. They were pulling away in the second half until Kidd and Terry fueled a 32-8 surge.

Although New Orleans was locked into the No. 2 seed, the Hornets went all out to beat the Mavs to keep open the chance of drawing Denver in the first round. Dallas went all out to win and avoid a first-round matchup with the Lakers. Nowitzki even said so after that game.

Oops.

New Orleans players had some fun using those quotes as bulletin-board material coming into the series. Now they can have even more fun by winning Friday and Sunday, then returning home to get ready for the second round.

Paul insists the Hornets aren’t thinking about a sweep. They just want to keep doing all those things on Nowitzki’s list of frustrations.

“The best part about it is we won two games, but at the same time it means absolutely nothing,” Paul said. “It’s the first team to four.”

Center Tyson Chandler, who has dominated Dallas’ big men, also sounded like a grizzled playoff vet, talking about “picking our spots, allowing the game to come to us individually.”

“The thing I like is everybody’s aggressive offensively and defensively,” he said. “I think we’ve gotten in a flow. Everybody’s in rhythm.”