PDA

View Full Version : The 2007-08 NBA Season

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

tigerman
02-20-2008, 10:09 AM
It's official! Kidd is coming back to Dallas. He will have jersey no. 2 and not his previous 5 or 32.

Thanks for the memories Captain Kidd. Finally I have a West team to root for. Go mavs! ;D

I'm quite excited for NJ having 2 young point guards in Marcus and Devin. The question now is, who will have the starting role?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

mighty_lion
02-20-2008, 10:22 AM
Both Harris and Williams are combo guard by nature, kaya okey lang kahit magsabay yong dalawa sa court.

So sino kaya ang susunod sa West na makikipag-trade? Denver? Golden State? San Antonio? New Orleans?

mighty_lion
02-20-2008, 02:10 PM
I know its too early to tell but Atlanta got blown out by the Lakers with Kobe, Gasol and Odom just playing 30 minutes each. 122-93. Hopely hindi nakasama si Bibby sa kanila. From what I read Bibby was saddened by this trade, mas gusto nyang mag-stay sa Sacramento.

King_stag
02-20-2008, 03:00 PM
Have u seen detroit's rookie rodney stuckey? I like the teams development, He can run and orchestrate and he's a fearless scorer

mighty_lion
02-20-2008, 05:46 PM
^ True. Im not really a Detroit fan but Stuckey is quite a nice pick up for Detroit from last years draft.

CM_Punk
02-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Both Harris and Williams are combo guard by nature, kaya okey lang kahit magsabay yong dalawa sa court.

Devin Harris has always played the slashing and scoring guard role in Dallas, so yup, I agree that those 2 can play together at the same time in the NJ backcourt. Marcus Williams had almost 2 seasons of apprenticeship under Jason Kidd, so let's see if he can finally put it together as a potential starter for the Nets.

Also, glad that the Atlanta Hawks finally got a real point guard in Mike Bibby, and are pushing to end their longest drought in the NBA of not making the playoffs, especially since the East spots are wide open. So, another key player from that successful Sacramento team of a few years ago is now gone, as Webber, Divac, Peja, and now Bibby have left, leaving only Brad Miller around from that era.

tigerman
02-21-2008, 12:12 AM
James joked that the MVP-clinching dunk he dropped on Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki in the final minute of the All-Star game was payback. "I was mad at Dirk because he stole my point guard,'' James said, referring to Jason Kidd, whom James was hoping the Cavs would try to get in a trade. "I couldn't get him back no other way.'' ;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

tigerman
02-21-2008, 12:39 AM
Poor New York Knicks tsktsk. When will their misery end?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPwAAn7FiGY

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

mighty_lion
02-21-2008, 08:48 AM
Spurs just got Kurt Thomas as counter to Gasol and Shaq move by the Lakers and Suns, respectively.

It was Kurt Thomas for Elson, Barry and 1st round pick. Elson and Barry are expiring contracts so basicall its all about the pick that Sonics is looking for.

Its looks like the Suns is desperately running for Artest trade and make tomorrows trade deadline. Sarver (Suns owner) made some annoucement* that he is very much willing to pay the luxury tax now for all or nothing run for the ring.

Jezz! West teams are getting crazier While Boston and Detroit are sitting pretty.* ;D

Suns depth chart for playoff may look like this one:

Nash/Strawberry
Bell/Barbosa
Hill/Artest/Diaw
Amare/Artest/Diaw
Shaq/Skinner

erichubert
02-21-2008, 09:41 AM
Stuckey was a steal, he was really projected to be a top 10 pick but dropped all the way to 15. I like what Detroit has done with their roster. Dumars really knows his basketball, despite losing Big Ben, he has re-stacked the roster with draft picks that were not really highly touted but play Detroit basketball like Maxiell, Afflalo and Stuckey.

mighty_lion
02-21-2008, 09:52 AM

Devin Harris has always played the slashing and scoring guard role in Dallas, so yup, I agree that those 2 can play together at the same time in the NJ backcourt. Marcus Williams had almost 2 seasons of apprenticeship under Jason Kidd, so let's see if he can finally put it together as a potential starter for the Nets.

Im interested to know how Harris will carry the Nets from there at the point. Mavs system is dependent on isolations which is entirely different from Nets rotate & pass & pass system. Same goes with the Mavs now that they have Kidd. Mavs since post-Nash era never had a pass first PG who feeds them the ball to shoot.

coreytaylor
02-21-2008, 10:12 AM
I know its too early to tell but Atlanta got blown out by the Lakers with Kobe, Gasol and Odom just playing 30 minutes each. 122-93. Hopely hindi nakasama si Bibby sa kanila. From what I read Bibby was saddened by this trade, mas gusto nyang mag-stay sa Sacramento.

well, all he's got to do now is move on and face the reality that he is already traded to atlanta. anyway, what he needs to concentrate now is trying to know how to play with joe johnson and the rest of his teammates. im sure mike bibby can adjust and surely, if not this season, he will be a big impact to the hawks next season. wishing bibby all the best in his new team. sana magiging all-star siya sa east next season.

tigerman
02-21-2008, 01:02 PM
The post-Kidd era started well for New Jersey. They defeated the Bulls in overtime.

Marcus Williams with 25-4-4 while VC led the way with 33.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

mighty_lion
02-21-2008, 03:07 PM
News had it that Hornets just got Bonzi Wells and Mike James for Bobby Jackson.

tigerman
02-21-2008, 10:44 PM
The Celtics lost for the 2nd straight time since KG's return. Malas ata si KG.* ;D

Anyway here's my top 5 candidates for the 2007-2008 mvp. (in particular order)

1. Kobe Bryant - Yes I don't like him 'till kingdom come but I think its about time for him to be given the MVP award. He's not the best player on the planet for nothing. More than that, he has carried the Lakers most especially when Bynum went down. He has learned to trust his teammates more. The Lakers' record speaks volume of how great Kobe has improved as a leader.

2. Chris Paul - Last year, it was Deron Williams' time to shine. This season, CP3 is on the verge of becoming the 1st player to average 20 points, 10 assists and 2 steals. He's the main reason why New Orleans is still on the top of the very competitive West. He's doing this despite not having the same supporting cast as that of his batchmate Deron Williams.

3. Kevin Garnett - He's the best player on the best team record-wise. He is the main anchor of the interior offense and defense of Boston. I thought the abdominal strain kinda slowed him down but I expect him to return to mvp form soon.

4. Lebron James - Like Kobe, I am not exactly a fan of this guy. I don't like the fact that he is always on the top 10 plays even though he doesn't deserve it anymore. But to give credit to where is due, look at his season averages! He has the most no. of 3-Ds outside Kidd. More than that, his team is still in the running despite all the injuries to his supporting cast.

5. Dwight Howard - In the early part of the season, he was at the top 3 in my list. He kinda slowed down in the last month or so. Not to take anything away from "Mr. Superman" himself but Hedo Turkoglu is slowly but surely getting the leadership role for the Magic. Overall, a breakout season for the player known as "Manchild".

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Mateen Cleaves
02-22-2008, 05:34 AM
ESPN Report of 3-way trade among Cleveland, Chicago, and Seattle:

Cleveland gets Ben Wallace, Joe Smith & future 2nd round pick from Bulls, plus Wally Sczerbiak & Delonte West from Sonics.

Bulls get Drew Gooden, Larry Hughes, Shannon Brown, and Cedric Simmons from Cavs.

Sonics get Ira Newble & Donyell Marshall from Cavs, Adrian Griffin from Bulls -- all expiring contracts (plus, the get rid of Wally World's big contract.

Minor deal for Pistons: Primoj Brezec to Raptors for Juan Dixon.

mighty_lion
02-22-2008, 05:50 AM
Cavs depth chart after the trade makes them an instant contender in the East.
PG: West/Gibson/Snow/Damon Jones
SG: Wally/D. Brown/Palvovic
SF: Lebron/S. Brown
PF: J. Smith/Varejao
C: Ilkaskaus/Ben Wallace

Imho, I like LBJ's chance of making another run for the Finals this time. Good move for the Cavs having the balls to take more salaries to give Lebron a good supporting cast. Takot lang nilang magdemand ng trade si LBJ. ;D

CM_Punk
02-22-2008, 07:20 AM
Considering what they gave up, this deal was decent for Cleveland. While Gooden, Hughes, etc. are decent players, the chance to get Ben Wallace, although getting old, provides Cleveland with somebody who has a championship ring, and who has done a decent job playing defense against the Western bigs in those years he was with Detroit. Plus, he has the Big Z to help him out at the center position. What's interesting is that the Bulls and Cavaliers haven't met all season, and these division rivals shall see each other a lot down the stretch with their new players.

mighty_lion
02-22-2008, 11:02 AM
Good thing the Cavs were able to dump thier scrups for quality players. I always like West when he was still in Boston and good move na rin na malipat sya sa Cavs. I would even think West is a better fit for LBJ than Bibby as West can do typical things Bibby can do + better perimeter D. Ben Wallace might look like a joke on this deal but Cavs needs to gamble on him just like what Suns did for Shaq. In order for the Cavs to make it to the finals they need someone who can dow wonders against KG, Sheed and Dwight. Definetly, Z is no match against these three.

To bad my Suns wasnt able to pull out a trade to fill out much needed wing defender and shooter. False hope. :'(

bydpogi
02-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Sczerbiak is the steal here. with Lebron driving inside his shooting will be more effective, he willl have a rejuvenated career with the Cavs IMO

coreytaylor
02-22-2008, 05:21 PM
Sczerbiak is the steal here. with Lebron driving inside his shooting will be more effective, he willl have a rejuvenated career with the Cavs IMO

^dont expect too much. feel the same way when larry hughes was signed by cleveland. he was an explosive scorer, but he was just behind lebron james' shadows. tsk.

mighty_lion
02-22-2008, 06:33 PM
What I particulary like about the Cavs trade is they got 3 players (West, Wally and Smith) who can create and run Cavs offense everytime Lebron is on the Bench. If they can work on their chemistry early on, lagot ang Boston, Detroit and Orlando nyan.

cub
02-22-2008, 11:27 PM
there is a huge difference between Hughes and Szczerbiak. Wally can hit the threes consistently while Larry is shooting a miserable 29% beyond the arc and keeps on taking bad shots, add to that he is injury prone. :)

this is a good trade for the Cavs but in my opinion, is not enough to be in the NBA finals again.

OT: the Cavs will play tomorrow with just 8players suiting up. LBJ, Z, Snow, damon jones, dwayne jones, d.brown and 2 players from NBDL which i doubt won't play. :P

john_paul_manahan
02-23-2008, 02:44 AM
forget bench play.

lebron plays 45+ minutes now.

btw, gibson is out 4-6 weeks.

King_stag
02-23-2008, 02:56 AM
Not a huge cavs fan but Delonte West is a nice pick-up. A great fastbreak finisher and can complment as a zone buster with his shooting stroke. "Boobie" Gibson is injured, But they can acquire a back-up if detroit buys-out the contract of former cavalier flip murray (which will happen in a couple of days due to the acquisition of juan dixon who will fill the spot of detroit guard who dint attend the recent practices. A roster spot is also needed to add another big.)

tigerman
02-23-2008, 01:16 PM
While the Cavs' backcourt has improved, their frontline is somehow questionable for me. Gooden is their 2nd best big man after Z. And we all know that Big Ben, aside from being a liabilty offensively, is no longer the same defensive demon that he was in Detroit.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

King_stag
02-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Amir Johnson Sparked the pistons in their home win friday. He Showed fans a glimpse of detroit's future (he is locked-down for four seasons more). The 20-year old finished with 13 pts, 6 rbs, 3 ast, 2 blocks, and 2 steals including a rim rattling jam in the break (which was fed by the other half of the "LA kids" Arron Afflalo), All in 22 minutes of action.

tigerman
02-23-2008, 02:20 PM
League-leading Boston lost its 3rd straight. Rayray and Pierce shot a combined 5 of 25 from the field.

They were held to 77 points against the SUNS. :P

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

mighty_lion
02-23-2008, 02:32 PM
The scheduling is somewhat flawed for the Boston. Hindi masyadong malalakas yong kalaban nila during first half of the Season. This second half will be the true test for thier toughness dahil mas marami silang laro na elite West Teams.

coreytaylor
02-23-2008, 06:24 PM
there is a huge difference between Hughes and Szczerbiak. Wally can hit the threes consistently while Larry is shooting a miserable 29% beyond the arc and keeps on taking bad shots, add to that he is injury prone. :)

this is a good trade for the Cavs but in my opinion, is not enough to be in the NBA finals again.

OT: the Cavs will play tomorrow with just 8players suiting up. LBJ, Z, Snow, damon jones, dwayne jones, d.brown and 2 players from NBDL which i doubt won't play. :P

^Larry Hughes cant hit the threes consistently?? have u ever watched Hughes play when he was still playing for washington before he signed with the cavs? if you didnt, well you need to see it. when he played for cleveland, his scoring just disappeared. well, there were those nights were he can score 20+ pts but not consistently though. then he became injured which sidelined him for many months which i think was the main reason he lost his confidence and shooting touch. correct me if im wrong but i think his injury was a broken thumb. I like wally too dude and yes your right that he can shoot consistently.

both of these guys are deadly 3 point shooters and explosive scorers and for me they WERE allstar caliber type of players.

King_stag
02-23-2008, 06:44 PM
His Game totally changed when his brother died. After that incident he never bounced back and suffered tons of injuries and i think he lacked focus.

cub
02-23-2008, 09:56 PM

^Larry Hughes cant hit the threes consistently?? have u ever watched Hughes play when he was still playing for washington before he signed with the cavs? if you didnt, well you need to see it. when he played for cleveland, his scoring just disappeared. well, there were those nights were he can score 20+ pts but not consistently though. then he became injured which sidelined him for many months which i think was the main reason he lost his confidence and shooting touch. correct me if im wrong but i think his injury was a broken thumb. I like wally too dude and yes your right that he can shoot consistently.

both of these guys are deadly 3 point shooters and explosive scorers and for me they WERE allstar caliber type of players.

have you ever watched Hughes play when he was still playing for the Sixers and Warriors?

if you didn't, well you need to see this..
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3251/career;_ylt=Ar3rSufuqwlc0_eH0EUeH86kvLYF

yan ba ang "consistent"??? ::)

flsfnoeraekadad
02-24-2008, 11:52 PM
In other news, the Lakers already have the number 1 seed in the West. And they've got four games (@SEA, POR, MIA @POR) to prepare for their showdown against Dallas. ;D

Mateen Cleaves
02-25-2008, 07:56 AM
Amir Johnson Sparked the pistons in their home win friday. He Showed fans a glimpse of detroit's future (he is locked-down for four seasons more). The 20-year old finished with 13 pts, 6 rbs, 3 ast, 2 blocks, and 2 steals including a rim rattling jam in the break (which was fed by the other half of the "LA kids" Arron Afflalo), All in 22 minutes of action.

Dumars has done a great job of setting up the team's future. Stuckey, Johnson, Maxiell, and Afflalo to go with Prince. They've also got Cheikh Samb (currently in the NBDL) to be the future center that Darko never became. Plus he got Flip Saunders to get with the program and start developing that bench.

For this season, expect the Pistons to bring back Dale Davis as the emergency center to give them an extra 6 fouls against Howard, Shaq, etc. in the playoffs.

tigerman
02-25-2008, 01:53 PM
Speaking of Detroit, they just embarassed Phoenix by 30 points 116-86 right at the latter's homecourt.

I still think that Detroit is the team to beat in the East and not Boston.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

coreytaylor
02-25-2008, 02:43 PM

have you ever watched Hughes play when he was still playing for the Sixers and Warriors?

if you didn't, well you need to see this..
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3251/career;_ylt=Ar3rSufuqwlc0_eH0EUeH86kvLYF

yan ba ang "consistent"??? ::)

^ lol. washington ang sabi ko, hindi sixers. no doubt he was inconsistent when he was still playing for the sixers. i did not recall hughes playing for the warriors?

dark_seid
02-25-2008, 03:40 PM

... what about cleveland?
and even if sam cassell makes his way to boston?

in the playoffs, it still is about match-ups. it is about stopping/containing the opposing team's best offensive option. and first there's lebron, then there's pierce -- bruising forwards that can always lower their heads and charge into the teeth of the defense ala american football running backs. for detroit, you don't anymore see them run the offensive set of rip doing his best reggie miller impersonation.

Mikhail
02-25-2008, 04:19 PM
Hughes only averaged around one 3pt FG a game in Washington, and with a pretty average percentage at that (actually terrible during his last year, lol). He did score well as he was more suited to the higher tempo Washington offense (Arenas, Jamison and Hughes were all 20 pt scorers IIRC). Arenas was the one shooting like crazy from outside.

Those three were also in GSW for a season in the early 2000's. Either Arenas' rookie or second season, I forgot.

tigerman
02-25-2008, 04:38 PM

... what about cleveland?
and even if sam cassell makes his way to boston?

in the playoffs, it still is about match-ups. it is about stopping/containing the opposing team's best offensive option. and first there's lebron, then there's pierce -- bruising forwards that can always lower their heads and charge into the teeth of the defense ala american football running backs. for detroit, you don't anymore see them run the offensive set of rip doing his best reggie miller impersonation.

I partially agree with your statement above. However, it's not all about the match-ups and playing great "d". Sometimes, team chemistry is one factor to consider also.

Detroit's advantage (like San Antonio) is the fact that their core has been playing together for the last 4-5 years already. You cannot say the same for the Celtics, Suns, Mavs, Lakers, Magic and Cavs.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

coreytaylor
02-25-2008, 05:46 PM
^ same here. for me, i think the teams who will meet in the eastern conference finals is detroit and orlando. and for the western conference, its san antonio and los angeles lakers. :D

flsfnoeraekadad
02-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Brandon Roy got injured. Prolly out for a minimum of two weeks. This guy is too good on and off the court and he doesn't deserve this.

Sam Miguel
02-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Going into the critical March schedule of the season NBA action is expected to be hotter and heavier. Shaq and the Suns just got creamed by the Pistons in US Airways Center. The Lakers have gone 9-2 since acquiring Pau Gasol. Tim Duncan has gotten veteran help in Kurt Thomas, with Brent Barry supposedly keen on returning to San Antonio for another championship run. Jason Kidd is quickly figuring things out with Dallas and Avery Johnson, more than Dirk Nowitzki, is very excited about making a return trip to the NBA Finals. New Orleans took in Mike James and Bonzi Wells, a pair of veterans who can contribute consistently right away. All told the West still looms as the premiere conference, where a 50-win team may miss the playoffs for the first time since the 82-game season was instituted.

mighty_lion
02-26-2008, 11:43 AM
Of all the big trades out there in the West, Lakers is undoubtedly the winner of all the winners on paper. Most people may have missed out the minor Jazz-Sixers swap between Korver and Girizek. The Jazz after starting 16-16 is now 20-4 since acquiring Kyle Korver.

Yeah true, my Suns is struggling hard. :-[

flsfnoeraekadad
02-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Sam Miguel, 9-1 ang Lakers after the Spanish Acquisition. Don't jinx their game vs POR tomorrow hehehe peace.

Mighty_lion, what makes it more worrying is that out of the West contenders, the Suns have the most difficult schedule as they will contend with the most teams above .500 and also the team with most games with the West contenders. Swerte na lang nila hindi na nila makakalaban ulit ang Lakers. ;D

On the other hand, the Lakers have the easiest, given the fact that they had the hardest schedule during the first half of the season.

60 wins @ 60th Lakers year. Then let's roll to the championship, LAKERS!

CM_Punk
02-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Only the top 5 teams in the East (Boston, Detroit, Orlando, Cleveland, Toronto) have winning records. The 10 other teams have losing records. Teams 6-8 in the East playoffs could very well have losing records at the end of the regular season. The West currently only have 5 teams with losing records, which means 10 teams are over the .500 mark.*

coreytaylor
02-26-2008, 08:06 PM
^ count portland and golden state out ;D

King_stag
02-26-2008, 09:21 PM
Too bad marc gasol (draft rights) was included in the trade with memphis. It's interesting to see him in Lakers uniform with his brother. hehe.. I think he'l do good in memphis next season.

flsfnoeraekadad
02-26-2008, 11:03 PM
What I'm concerned about is JC Navarro. Hope the Lakers pick him up. He has good skills and Derek Fisher is not getting younger. And seriously BFF sila ni Pau.

coreytaylor
02-27-2008, 03:07 AM
^Navarrro is currently playing SG in memphis. dont know why though. thats why his shooting a lot of 3s.

Mateen Cleaves
02-27-2008, 06:18 AM
Yao Ming's out for the season with a stress fracture. Bad news for the Rockets who were really starting to play well. :(

CM_Punk
02-27-2008, 07:49 AM
There goes any chance for Houston to go deep in the tough Western playoffs. Tracy McGrady has had really bad luck at the end of the season, as he has never advanced beyond the 1st round of the playoffs in his entire career.

Sam Miguel
02-27-2008, 10:49 AM
^ This is where those Yao Ming detractors all disappear. As much as they criticize Yao it cannot be denied that he is the biggest reason that Houston has been doing relatively well the last couple of seasons. Center is the hardest position to fill in basketball and Houston has one of the most skilled centers on the planet, and undoubtedly the biggest one at that. With his injured left foot Houston can kiss its playoff aspirations goodbye.

mighty_lion
02-27-2008, 11:00 AM
At least now is the time for Tmac to prove his detractors too that he can carry this Houston team over the hump. First round hump that is. :-X But considering this is the West, I cant see them getting out of the first round again if ever they make it to the playoff. Tmac is soo cursed. Poor guy. :-\

dark_seid
02-27-2008, 02:18 PM
and i was hoping to see the first 50 game winner (in an 82-game season) to miss the playoffs.

mighty_lion
02-27-2008, 02:20 PM
and i was hoping to see the first 50 game winner (in an 82-game season) to miss the playoffs.

How ironic that could be. Sana nagtank na lang for better draft lottery chances. ;D ;D

joelex
02-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Barring any unforseen circumstances, the 8 playoff teams for the west seems pretty much set, with denver and golden state expected to climb up the standings with a likewise expected downfall for houston...thats an if though, if Tmac finally proves he can carry a team on his own.

CM_Punk
02-27-2008, 06:58 PM
I can't help but feel nostalgic about what could have been, if only Tracy had decided to play a few more years with Vince Carter when he still with Toronto, and not leave for Orlando after his rookie contract expired. A team of T-Mac, Carter, Davis, Oakley, Morris Peterson, Alvin Williams might have had a shot to play in the Eastern Conference finals in 2000-2002, or at least advance beyong the 1st round of the playoffs. Oh well, it was not meant to be* :'(

dark_seid
02-27-2008, 08:06 PM
^^ orlando did present him with a $90M contract (after timmy d went back to san antonio). so it was an offer he couldn't easily refuse. IIRC, toronto was capped out with high-monetary value contracts to vince carter, davis and williams. i stopped enjoying t-mac, then a franchise player, when he pouted through the 18-game losing streak of orlando (the season before they drafted dwight howard).

now with yao out, i wonder when tracy "half-man half-a-season" mcgrady and his famous balky back will start to act up?

King_stag
02-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Too bad. Maybe yao wore the cheap starbury sneakers dat's why he broke his foot* ;D.

mighty_lion
02-27-2008, 10:01 PM
now with yao out, i wonder when tracy "half-man half-a-season" mcgrady and his famous balky back will start to act up?

;D ;D ;D Reality hurts. Too bad for a very talented and fearless player.

King_stag
02-27-2008, 10:09 PM
houston's depth will be tested, Houston can go small with scola and landry in the middle.. Nice to see yao supporting his teammates. The suit he wore made him look like a secret agent hehe. A 7'6" agent. how cool is that? ;D

Sam Miguel
02-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Houston will have to go small now and push the tempo or start a lot of mad outside bombing. With Yao out rebounds will be harder to come by. They may also want to set up various zone looks and motion offenses. T-Mac will have to score 35-plus points per game and Luis Scola better prove he has an NBA game especially off the glass of the Rockets will have another one-and-done playoffs.

mighty_lion
02-28-2008, 11:19 AM
Suns getting raped again by another West Team.* :'(
False hope? I hope not.* :(
Looks like its time for me to switch to another team for the next three years until Shaq is done.* :-[

King_stag
02-28-2008, 02:32 PM
Detroit Lost to utah again. Former piston Okur hitted 3 treys to seal the game. Detroit cant solve the utah puzzle.* >:(

CM_Punk
02-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Speaking of the Pistons, they traded away Slovenian Primoz Brezec at the trade deadline for Juan Dixon. That adds another name to the list of foreign-born players who didn't find much playing time with the Pistons- Okur, Darko, Delfino, and now Brezec.

King_stag
02-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Speaking of the Pistons, they traded away Slovenian Primoz Brezec at the trade deadline for Juan Dixon. That adds another name to the list of foreign-born players who didn't find much playing time with the Pistons- Okur, Darko, Delfino, and now Brezec.

-add cheik samb and walterr herrmann.

tigerman
02-28-2008, 09:01 PM
^ I might be wrong on this but if memory serves me right, Okur was given decent playing time until Rasheed got into the picture and ate most of the playing time reserved for Okur.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

CM_Punk
02-28-2008, 10:03 PM
^ And that's why Okur knew that he wasn't going to be a starter in Detroit anymore with the arrival of Wallace. At least Okur has found a good team in Utah, where he's getting his minutes, and playing in one of the better starting frontcourts in the league, along with Boozer and AK47, with the impressive Paul Millsap off the bench.

tigerman
02-29-2008, 09:20 AM
Great start by the Nets. Devin Harris, coming off the bench, already showing some glimpse of what he can bring to the table for the team.* ;D

So far he has 11 points, a rebound and 2 dimes in 5 minutes.* *:D

And who said he can't shoot the long j?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

tigerman
02-29-2008, 09:25 AM
double post

tigerman
02-29-2008, 09:42 AM
Is Two-Time MVP Steve Nash Overrated?

http://www.emptythebench.com/2008/02/25/is-three-time-mvp-steve-nash-overrated/

It was an ugly performance from the new-look Phoenix Suns on Sunday, a nationally televised 30-point loss and embarrassment that has generated plenty of chatter. The home crowd was booing loudly for much of the second half, something I haven’t seen in US Airways Center for a long while. Mike D’Antoni’s squad was roundly outplayed by Detroit in all facets of the game, but most noticeable was their complete inability to stop the Pistons from scoring at will right from the tip as all five Detroit starters coasted to double-digit points. The acquisition of Shaquille O’Neal sent shockwaves through the basketball community, with most people questioning how adding an overweight, plodding, lazy, past-his-prime center would affect the Suns dynamic offense. Those concerns were all well founded, and in fact floor general Steve Nash has only tallied 8, 5 and 6 assists in the three games since Shaq came over. I still think that’s going to continue to be a problem, but it’s never been their offense I worry about too much. It’s their atrocious defense, which starts at the top.

Opposing teams are averaging 104.2 points per game against the Suns, fifth most in the NBA — only defensive stalwarts Golden State, Indiana, Memphis and Denver allow more points. This season’s numbers are actually an improvement over last season and the year before, when the Suns allowed 110.2 and 108.4 points per, the most in the league both seasons. So why is Steve Nash never called out for being one of the worst defensive point guards in the NBA?

There’s the obvious caveat here: Steve Nash is a great player. He’s unquestionably the catalyst which has transformed Phoenix’s offense into the best and most exciting in the NBA over the last four seasons. In terms of smooth passing skills, court vision, ball-handling and pure shooting Nash is the best player in the league. I’m not taking any of that away from him. The fact remains, however: on the defensive end of the end of the floor Steve Nash is one of the worst liabilities in the league. Nash simply cannot contain penetration; he is routinely beat off the dribble and he struggles to get back on open shooters.

Sunday’s game was a prime example, with Chauncey Billups able to get anywhere on the floor he wanted to at any time. Mr. Big Shot put up a nice line of 14 points, 11 assists and only 2 TOs… in 20:19 minutes! And it’s not like Billups is one of the quicker points in the NBA, he’s a cagey vet with below-average speed and athleticism. The young guns in the West regularly make Nash look even worse. So why does nobody talk about it?

More Steve Nash bashing that’s sure to angry up the blood after the jump…

In February alone Baron Davis has torn him up for 27 points and 13 assists on 12-of-23 shooting, and closed that game out by hitting three straight baskets. A couple nights before that Chris Paul went off for 42 points and 9 assists on 18-for-33 shooting. These are the types of point guards Phoenix will have to go through on their way to the NBA Finals. And those aren’t freak occurrences, opposing points routinely put up their best numbers against Nash and the Suns. According to 82games.com opponent’s point guards average an All Star line of 21 points and 7.4 assists on 49.8% FGs. That’s killing Phoenix night in, night out.

Now, we should also point out that statistics of all varieties are inflated in dealing with the Phoenix Suns. They are consistently among the league leaders in total possessions per game simply because they run so much. But that doesn’t let Nash off the hook for his complete inability to stop anybody, especially in late-game situations. He’s gotten so bad in the final minutes that it seems prudent to sub him out of the game on key defensive possessions. Does that sound like an MVP? Again, he’s a great player, but an MVP to me is a guy with a complete game who does it on both ends of the floor — not a guy who consistently hurts your chances of winning with his play on one end. A player like Chris Paul, LeBron James, Kevin Garnett or Kobe Bryant (who was better than Nash in each of his MVP seasons).

To be fair, the Suns have also been a weak defensive team as a whole. A big part of that has been Amare Stoudemire, a sub-par defender. But this year the Suns have been strong on the wing, with Raja Bell and Shawn Marion playing well all year and even Grant Hill being serviceable. On average this season, the only player in the Suns’ regular rotation to cause a higher opponent’s scoring average per minute is Leandrinho Barbosa.

The Phoenix Suns made the trade for Shaq because they didn’t think they could keep up with low-post teams in the West without a true center. And Steve Kerr may be right, perhaps it’s not possible to win the West without a presence in the paint. But Phoenix currently leads the NBA with 49.2% FGs, and they finished fifth in the NBA last season with 43.8 points in the paint per game. Amare Stoudemire’s 23.7 points per game are the most among all power forwards and centers. The trade for a center wasn’t so much to address scoring inside as it was for defense, which has been the major concern with the team since Nash came to town. Maybe it’s time to question the other end of the key: can they win an NBA title with such porous defense from their point guard?

In a Western Conference playoffs featuring offensively talented points of all ilks, bulls who excel at penetration like Deron Williams, Chris Paul, Tony Parker, Jason Kidd and Baron Davis, I don’t think they can.

Addendum: Some people in the comments below have asked for stats which show a more direct correlation between Nash and defensive inefficiency, so here’s something else to consider: The season before the Nash came to Phoenix in 03-04 the Suns held opposing teams to 97.9 points per. They’ve given up over 102 points per in each season since.

Meanwhile, the Dallas Mavericks gave up 100.8 (second-most in the NBA) in 03-04, Nash’s last season. In the four seasons since his departure they’ve given up only 96.8 per, 93.1 per, 92.8 and 95.1 per while climbing into the NBA’s top ten in defensive efficiency. They also made it to the NBA Finals in 2006, something they never did before Nash left as a free agent. The Suns haven’t made it there with Nash either.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

MonL
02-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Hmmm....According to Boston.com, Sam Cassell is expected to sign buyout papers within the hour with the LAClippers and will sign up with Boston once he clears waivers. Plus the Celts signed up PJ Brown.

dark_seid
02-29-2008, 01:24 PM
Is Two-Time MVP Steve Nash Overrated?

author must have a deadline with his editor. article's a reach or a rehash of already known stuff.

flsfnoeraekadad
03-01-2008, 01:00 AM
Celts to sign Cassell this weekend or next week siguro.

CM_Punk
03-01-2008, 12:27 PM
With Cassell leaving, the point guards for the LA Clippers are currently Dan Dickau and Brevin Knight. Shaun Livingston is still in rehab with his major injury, so LA might consider picking up a guard who can play some minutes at the point with their high lottery pick in the 2008 draft.

Mateen Cleaves
03-01-2008, 01:30 PM

-add cheik samb and walterr herrmann.

Nationality doesn't matter. If Maurice Evans, Smush Parker, Nazr Mohammed, etc. were any good they'd still be in Detroit today. If you can play AND you want to stay in detroit, the pistons will find a place for you -- at the right price. Of the ex-Pistons listed above, only Okur would have a chance of making the rotation, let alone starting, today. Detroit liked him a lot, but not at the price Utah paid for him.

Samb is definitely in Detroit's long-term plans. In fact, he's ahead of schedule, making the roster one year ahead of expectations.

Hermann is basically auditioning for next year. He knows that he's in Detroit this year because of his expiring contract. If he wants to re-sign with Detroit, he has to convince them that he's a better fit than Jarvis Hayes (also with an expiring contract). In the limited time that he's seen this year, he's been quite productive. That's why Detroit kept him and traded Brezec instead.

King_stag
03-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Detroit wanted mo evans to stay, but they have to pay the price to get a project player (samb). He is detroit's legit sixth man. An underrated guard who has a lot of hops. Between herrmann and jarvis? i think herrmann is more efficient, he is battling his way into the rotation. But it's quite a long shot because dumars said that hayes is detroit's designated "Gunslinger".

tigerman
03-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Suns lost to the Sixers. Former Arizona Wildcat Andre Iguodala led the way for the visitors.

What's happening to the once unbeatable against the East Suns?

They are 2-4 since the Shaq trade.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

tigerman
03-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Kobe scored 52 and delivered another mvp-type performance against a contender in Dallas.

I hate to say this but he is a lock for the mvp. No disrespect to the other mvp candidates.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

bigfreeze_bibby
03-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Houston had a big win earlier. New Orleans dropped their game against the Wizards and Dallas lost to L.A. Lakers which means the Rockets move to fourth in the Western Conference playoff race. Di natin napapansin ang Spurs masyado but they are now in the summit of the West with a 40-17 record. Parker with a superb performance against the Nets earlier as well.

With Yao out, it's Scola's turn to help in the front court of the Rockets. Maganda pinapakita niya ngayon.

mighty_lion
03-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Phoenix Suns...set :(

LION
03-03-2008, 04:15 PM
^........ only to rise again. :)

Why did Boston sign up PJ Brown? How old is he, 38?

BigBlue
03-03-2008, 04:27 PM
^........ only to rise again. :)

Why did Boston sign up PJ Brown? How old is he, 38?

they're in dire need of a mature bigman who can help sustain their momentum going into the post-season. Perkins has been a tad bit inconsistent, Powe and Davis are a bit undersized for the slot while Scalabrine.. well, he's Scalabrine.

Kid Cubao
03-03-2008, 04:36 PM
yes, i think that's the reason. PJ brown has the battle scars playing in all those knock 'em down, drag 'em out playoff series as pat riley and jeff van gundy's most loyal foot soldier in the last 12 years or so. besides, brian scalabrini plays like he's 6'5, so he's not really a big man ;D

flsfnoeraekadad
03-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Buti na lang Kobe clicked. Most of the team had their bad games on (I'm looking at you Fish and Jordan).

Lamar provided good defense but he also bricked free throws. Kobe bailed the team out from all endgame miscues that they had. Nothing more I can ask for.

LION
03-03-2008, 04:58 PM
^........ only to rise again.* *:)

Why did Boston sign up PJ Brown?* How old is he, 38?

they're in dire need of a mature bigman who can help sustain their momentum going into the post-season. Perkins has been a tad bit inconsistent, Powe and Davis are a bit undersized for the slot while Scalabrine.. well, he's Scalabrine.

Baka naman pwedeng si Karl Malone na lang. The old man retired without a ring.

dark_seid
03-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Houston had a big win earlier. New Orleans dropped their game against the Wizards and Dallas lost to L.A. Lakers which means the Rockets move to fourth in the Western Conference playoff race. Di natin napapansin ang Spurs masyado but they are now in the summit of the West with a 40-17 record. Parker with a superb performance against the Nets earlier as well.

the seedings are actually (it's best to usually just look at the loss columns)
1. spurs (17)
2. lakers (18)
3. hornets (19)
4. jazz (22)
5. rockets (20)
6. suns (20)
7. mavs (21)
8. warriors (22)
9. nuggets (24)

but yep, the 15th straight win for houston is also big because they got their W versus nuggets.

flsfnoeraekadad
03-03-2008, 08:42 PM
The Lakers and Spurs are tied for the best record in the West but the Lakers have more losses so automatically, SAS gets the nod at the top. 9 in a row for them. There's no stopping them as they are facing East opponents over the next 5, afaik.

Scola's improvement and emergence is the reason for the streak continuity. Also, there's Deke for the blocks and the finger wag. Good thing T-Mac still has two big men to rely.

CM_Punk
03-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Kobe scored 52 and delivered another mvp-type performance against a contender in Dallas.

I hate to say this but he is a lock for the mvp. No disrespect to the other mvp candidates.

Yup, looks like Kobe is well on his way to an MVP-type of season, with the great success of the Lakers this year. Only other candidates to challenge Kobe for the MVP award would be Chris Paul and Lebron James, but since Kobe is the most veteran of that group (and plays in a major city market), looks like he is indeed the favourite for the MVP.

john_paul_manahan
03-04-2008, 04:02 AM
i would not lock that yet.

you can put the king, the ticket, and cp3 in ther same conversation.

CM_Punk
03-04-2008, 08:46 AM
Yeah, I said favourite, not lock. I'm no Kobe fan myself, but I didn't say put it into writing already that he's winning the MVP. What he has in his favour is the major market of LA, compared to Cleveland and New Orleans. His team gets plenty more publicity and coverage compared to everyone else, which is a big influence for the voters.

erichubert
03-04-2008, 10:40 AM
The only reason Kobe hasn't won the MVP is because of the media's bias against him. If he doesn't win it this year, I wonder what excuse they would use again. The last couple of seasons, he wasn't named MVP despite single handedly leading a terrible Lakers team to the playoffs because they said his team wasn't good enough. Now that his team is one of the best in the league, he should win it period.

The only player who has a legit chance against him is Lebron, but using the reasoning against Kobe before, he shouldn't win it because his team is not among the leaders in the standings. But I am not discounting the fact that Lebron might win it this year despite of the reason I stated, after all the NBA is pimping Lebron to be the King.

Dark Knight
03-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Is Cassel already with the Celtics?

If this is true, they will be one of the 'oldest' teams in the NBA. ;D

erichubert
03-04-2008, 01:50 PM
He hasn't officially signed yet but it is given that he would eventually sign with the Celtics. I don't like this signing because Sam's game seems not to fit Boston's game. But I think he would be a slight upgrade to Rajon Rondo come playoff time since he is a veteran with playoff experience.

mighty_lion
03-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Is Cassel already with the Celtics?

If this is true, they will be one of the 'oldest' teams in the NBA.* ;D

Naalala ko tuloy yong joke sa Big Three ng Minny dati. The ET (Cassel), Alien (Garnett) and the Predator (Sprewell). They should have traded for Wilcox or Haslem during the trade deadline. ;D

cub
03-04-2008, 10:45 PM
seattle won't trade wilcox. he's their only big man with a decent post moves. now, if miami did trade haslem to boston, the celts have no one to offer. they don't have a big man to trade and a first round pick for the next years. so they end up signing the aging PJ Brown and cassell :)

CM_Punk
03-05-2008, 12:11 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AspxJw8LFWuuBoQ3ElwaDHK8vLYF?slug=ap-heat-hawksreplay&prov=ap&type=lgns

Mike Bibby and Shawn Marion can play in the NBA’s first replay since 1982, with the Hawks and Heat scheduled to play this Saturday, who must complete the final 51.9 seconds of their Dec. 19 overtime game. The NBA said that both teams can fill out any openings on their 12-man active roster with players acquired since the disputed game.

Miami will have the ball when the game resumes, trailing 114-111. After the replay is completed, the teams will get a 15-minute break, then return to the court for their regularly scheduled contest in Atlanta.

King_stag
03-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Seattle scorched hot in the first quarter against the pistons, they scored 41 points. They are now behind by 10 with 5 minutes left. hehe ;D. The usual sonics, cant close out quarters and runs out of gas in the 4th

mighty_lion
03-05-2008, 11:15 AM
^ Sir napansin ko lang Detroit fanatic kayo. I always ask this question to Detroit die-hards i know. Ben Wallace's game declined by mile since he transferred to the Bulls. Now that he is with Cleveland I can see some reawakening but still not on the level he once had in his Detroit days. Mas nakabuti ba sa Detroit ang pagkawala ni Ben Wallace?

King_stag
03-05-2008, 11:46 AM
^ Sir napansin ko lang Detroit fanatic kayo. I always ask this question to Detroit die-hards i know. Ben Wallace's game declined by mile since he transferred to the Bulls. Now that he is with Cleveland* I can see some reawakening but still not on the level he once had in his Detroit days. Mas nakabuti ba sa Detroit ang pagkawala ni Ben Wallace?

Sir, Die hard detroit fan. Big Ben Wallets? Hehe, i Think it's better that he left, I question his intensity sometimes. He is a good 1 on 1 and a help defender but he's a liability on the offensive. I thought the fans embraced him too much, however there is jason maxiell to fill the void. Not as big but is tenacious at D and finishes better. The Only thing i liked about ben is the baller band "No fly Zone". nothing else. hehe* ;D

*Ben Added another reason for detroit fans to hate Cleveland. hehe

dark_seid
03-05-2008, 02:30 PM
if you check the current west standings, you'd see utah at the 4th seed with 22 losses and denver at 9th with 24 losses. so assuming every other team stays at their current pace, the reward for the division winner is a top 4 seed and the punishment for the other is a trip to the lottery. what drama being played out for this season with over 20 games per team to be played before the playoffs even begin and only 2 games separating both!

* let's disregard the same instance from the east a few years back in the atlantic division since they were playing .500 ball.

mighty_lion
03-05-2008, 03:50 PM
^ Sir napansin ko lang Detroit fanatic kayo. I always ask this question to Detroit die-hards i know. Ben Wallace's game declined by mile since he transferred to the Bulls. Now that he is with Cleveland* I can see some reawakening but still not on the level he once had in his Detroit days. Mas nakabuti ba sa Detroit ang pagkawala ni Ben Wallace?

Sir, Die hard detroit fan. Big Ben Wallets? Hehe, i Think it's better that he left, I question his intensity sometimes. He is a good 1 on 1 and a help defender but he's a liability on the offensive. I thought the fans embraced him too much, however there is jason maxiell to fill the void. Not as big but is tenacious at D and finishes better. The Only thing i liked about ben is the baller band "No fly Zone". nothing else. hehe* ;D

*Ben Added another reason for detroit fans to hate Cleveland. hehe

Hehe. On the otherside I think Big Ben is better fit for Cleveland than Chicago. But then again paying $15 million a year for a guy who puts up 8/10 per game (more or less) is ridiculous.

bigfreeze_bibby
03-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Ang maganda lang dyan sa West is that pagdating ng playoffs, hindi malayong mangyari na manalo yung mga lower seeds sa mga top seeds since most in the running for a Western Conference playoff spot have winning records.

Yeah, kailangan ng Cleveland si Big Ben right now especially that Ilgauskas is injured. Silang dalawa lang ni Varejao ang tumatayong sentro sa ngayon at hindi pa 100% si Andi.

tigerman
03-06-2008, 07:53 AM
While Kobe is getting some mvp chants in arenas not named staples center, this lady would probably move for his disqualification from the mvp race. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB1jNJN81zE

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

MonL
03-06-2008, 09:50 AM
And strange things keep happening to the Mavs. Nowitzki gets tagged with a Flagrant 2 against AK47 and is suspended for one game. AK got hurt but managed not to break any bones. You just hate to see that happen to both of them. :(

LION
03-06-2008, 11:13 AM
And Boston defeated Detroit once again, 90 - 78. Ray Allen had an off night. Monster games from the Big Ticket and Perkins who registered a double double, 10 points and 20 rebounds.

Mateen Cleaves
03-06-2008, 11:30 AM
And strange things keep happening to the Mavs. Nowitzki gets tagged with a Flagrant 2 against AK47 and is suspended for one game. AK got hurt but managed not to break any bones. You just hate to see that happen to both of them. :(

Flagrant-1 lang pala nung una. Later, in-upgrade to flagrant-2 after the league reviewed the play. Kung dito nangyari 'yan, baka magreklamo pa si Cuban at mag-pull out ng advertising sa TV coverage. ;D

King_stag
03-07-2008, 03:21 AM
Awful game for detroit. The Zoo Crew contributed total of 5 points. ???

flsfnoeraekadad
03-09-2008, 02:27 AM
The see-saw battle for the control of the West is on. Lakers and Spurs.

Take your pick. ;D

john_paul_manahan
03-09-2008, 11:25 PM
heck. the west's top 8 is 5 games apart from each other.

mighty_lion
03-10-2008, 08:30 AM
Suns won against the Spurs. They got what they want from the Shaq-Marion trade. I just hope they make it to the playoff. A win against the Spurs offsets the 3-6 win/loss card since Shaq trade.

cub
03-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Kings stuns the Lakers. 114-113. Udrih made 2 clutch free throws to give the lead for the Kings. does anybody know why Reggie Theus did not field in Artest for the last 15minutes of the game? he's done that for the last 2 games for the Kings.

Mateen Cleaves
03-10-2008, 04:03 PM
heck. the west's top 8 is 5 games apart from each other.

Who could have predicted that, at this point in the season, the Mavs would be the 7th seed in the conference -- only half a game ahead of 8th place GSW? ???

dark_seid
03-10-2008, 05:38 PM
^ look at the bright side, mavs will not be meeting warriors in the 1st round anymore :D

john_paul_manahan
03-10-2008, 08:47 PM
btw, nuggets are two games back of the w's.

tigerman
03-10-2008, 11:12 PM
What a great show of athleticism from Shaq!!! I thought it would be impossible for him flying into the stands and avoiding the 2 kids at the same time! ;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

dark_seid
03-12-2008, 09:08 PM
^ same circumstances happened, but this time in front of the suns bench. everyone, from the players to the coaches, jumped out of their seats and scrambled away with lightning quickness as shaq chased the loose ball out of bounds.

mighty_lion
03-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Isipin nyo na lang sa roster Suns si Amare na ata ang pinakamabigat at 245lbs. Shaq is 330 lbs.

cub
03-12-2008, 09:50 PM
better watch the new video from Shaq. the game vs. grizzlies. ;D

bluegirl
03-12-2008, 10:05 PM
ahaha kung andun ako, matatakot din ako at tatakbo eh :D

tigerman
03-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Paano na yan wala na si Wade, out for the season na eh 3 pa ang laro ng Miami na may national tv coverage.

March 27 @ Detroit TNT
Dec. 6 vs. Detroit ABC
Dec. 13 @ Cleveland ABC

;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Mikhail
03-12-2008, 11:36 PM
Tanking mode na Miami eh ;D

john_paul_manahan
03-13-2008, 12:42 AM
when the coach decides that scouting the tournaments is a good idea instead of coaching, that is a bad sign.

cub
03-13-2008, 10:15 AM
the Heat obviously wants to get Michael Beasley. but, it has only happened twice wherein the worst team got the number 1 pick. the cavs in '03 and Magic in '04.

coreytaylor
03-13-2008, 02:35 PM
there's nothing much they (miami) can do. for me, i think they should let their bench play to let the players gain more experience. they should start cutting marion's minutes too to avoid sustaining any kind of injury like what happened to wade just to prepare him next season. if they wont get beasly, they can get a athletic center (jordan) or a pg (rose). anyway they still have haslem at pf.

dark_seid
03-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Paano na yan wala na si Wade, out for the season na eh 3 pa ang laro ng Miami na may national tv coverage.

March 27 @ Detroit TNT
Dec. 6 vs. Detroit ABC
Dec. 13 @ Cleveland ABC

;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

i've heard that the networks have a clause where they can pick games to be telecast beginning the 2nd half of the season. so i guess these match-ups can get replace with something else for national tv coverage.

mighty_lion
03-13-2008, 03:31 PM
Houston now with 20 consecutive wins. Tmac for MVP. Hehe. ;D

flsfnoeraekadad
03-13-2008, 08:40 PM
They [HOU] will surely be tested after their game vs Charlotte. vs. Lakers on Monday and vs. Celtics on Wednesday.

flsfnoeraekadad
03-13-2008, 08:43 PM

March 27 @ Detroit TNT
Dec. 6 vs. Detroit ABC
Dec. 13 @ Cleveland ABC

;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

i've heard that the networks have a clause where they can pick games to be telecast beginning the 2nd half of the season. so i guess these match-ups can get replace with something else for national tv coverage.

Yup, the best example of this happening recently is ABC's decision to hand-pick the LAL@HOU game on Monday. Instead of it being played at around the typical Monday morning (Sunday night in US), the game is scheduled on Sunday 3:30 PM ET/12:30 PM PT/4:30 AM Manila Time.

Just because ABC handpicked it to be the match-up of the day

tigerman
03-13-2008, 10:42 PM
Well it's about time for TMac to be on a winning team. I remember vividly his Magic team that lost 18 or 19 straight games under Doc Rivers after winning its opening game of the season. I think it was back in the 2003-2004 season before Dwight Howard's arrival.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

tigerman
03-13-2008, 11:43 PM
Bruce Bowen is the dirtiest player in the game!

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=w8WXVJQ06Sk

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

tigerman
03-13-2008, 11:59 PM
What about a 5 on 1 handicap hell in a cell match?

Amare Stoudamire, Steve Francis, Steve Nash, Ray Allen and Wally Szcrzerbiak vs. Bruce Bowen

Vince Carter and Kobe Bryant as special guest referees. ;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

mighty_lion
03-14-2008, 12:09 AM
^ You can include Anthony Parker and Rip Hamilton as well. Hehe.

reforms
03-14-2008, 01:13 AM
lupit ng houston ngayon ah. di ko nga napansin na may winning streak na sila e. tapos nainjure pa si yao ming. kala ko magtatatalo na. si t-mac ang nagbitbit.

sana lang magkasabay na sila yao at t-mac na healthy. parating injured ung isa e.

*bruce bowen patay malisya pa pag nanggugulang. parang di obvious na naninira ng player. mas-nakakaasar.

cub
03-14-2008, 10:08 AM
after houston's game versus the bobcats, i doubt if they can win atleast 2games. swerte na nga kung makaisa pa sila. :) Mon vs. Lakers
wednesday vs. Boston
thur @ New Orleans
Saturday @ Golden State
Sunday @ Phoenix

marmand
03-14-2008, 10:20 AM
One game at a time for the Rockets. The next three are at home and the last home game vs. the Celtics will be a back to back for the Celtics. So. they have a good chance to take all three. The problem starts when they play New Orleans after the Celtics on the road. It would be a back to back for them then they play the Warriors and Suns on the road for a back to back. 5 games in 7 nights I still Believe!!!!! Go Rockets!!!!!!

john_paul_manahan
03-14-2008, 08:29 PM
everybody's playing well... and they have maintained the JVG defensive toughness. the key would be how scola, hayes and landry will help deke replace the numbers yao provided.

marmand
03-14-2008, 09:25 PM
Dont forget the importance of the outside shots. If Alston, Head, Jackson and Shane help T-Mac outside then I dont see them ending their streak. They have to open the lane for T-Mac and Scola ( and Landry when He gets back ).

cub
03-15-2008, 11:07 AM
As NYPinoy said in our fantasy league, injuries can change everything. muka atang magkakamali ako sa aking prediction na hindi mananalo ng isa ang rockets sa next 5games nila. mukang matatalo nila ang lakers on monday because Pau will likely be out for this game.

marmand
03-15-2008, 11:34 AM
21 and Counting!!!! Go Rockets. ;)

CM_Punk
03-15-2008, 04:39 PM
21 straight wins for Houston, now that's impressive! These guys just keep on winning. Looks like T-Mac and company are determined to show the rest of the league that they can be contenders even without Yao.

Dark Knight
03-15-2008, 06:47 PM
Rockets with 21 wins and counting but they will not win the championship. ;D

mighty_lion
03-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Rockets with 21 wins and counting but they will not win the championship.* ;D

Goodluck kay Tmac sa Western Playoff first round. This is it! ;D

abcdef
03-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Ewan ko pero I have the feeling na hindi impressive yung 21 or more game winning streak nila; maybe because I dont want to keep my hopes up kasi pag dating ng playoffs first round exit sila;D

aircanda
03-15-2008, 07:34 PM
21 straight wins for Houston, now that's impressive! These guys just keep on winning. Looks like T-Mac and company are determined to show the rest of the league that they can be contenders even without Yao.

wag lang talagang 1st round booboo cla.. kung ma-out man talaga.. talagang may jinx itong si Tmac.. I hope Im wrong..

marmand
03-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Winning a round in the playoff or not, This season will be memorable for the Rockets. It has been 36 years since a team won 21 games in a row. To think, Jordan did not accomplish this. Winning in the playoff would be great but let no one take away anything from what they did.

dark_seid
03-15-2008, 10:12 PM
stats don't lie.

props to the rockets for proving lots of people wrong. 21 straight wins (and counting) is hands down an awesome achievement.

Dark Knight
03-15-2008, 10:21 PM
Yep, impressive run, even without Yao.......but how long can they sustain it? Law of average coming Houstons way. But the important thing is, they are already embedded in NBA history.

Sure, MJ never experience this run, and so did Lew Alcindor, but can T-Mac win 6 championships before he retires? 6 titles is not necessary. 1 will do and you're better than Malone or Ewing. ;D

mighty_lion
03-16-2008, 03:52 PM
Suns is on the rise! Giricek is the missing piece after all. ;D

cub
03-16-2008, 04:28 PM
mighty_lion, im a diehard phx fan too. pero wag muna tayo matuwa masyado. baka ma-jinx. hahaha. ;D
Grant played only 11minutes against the Kings to rest his sprained wrist which he suffered in their previous game vs. the Warriors.

next week will be tough for our Suns. they will play the Pistons, Celtics, Sixers and Nets. a 2-2 record is pretty good but im hoping a 3-1 for the 4game east trip. :)

Mateen Cleaves
03-17-2008, 06:00 AM
Looks like it will be 22 straight. Fitting... because they made Kobe miss 22 field goals today. :)

mighty_lion
03-17-2008, 08:25 AM
I still doubt if Houston will make it to the second round with that line-up.

bigfreeze_bibby
03-17-2008, 09:33 AM
JVG also said earlier in the game (since he's one of the commentators) na malabo manalo ng championship ang Rockets. But they have to relish the moment now since they're on top of the West.

marmand
03-17-2008, 10:32 AM
The real test starts now. 4 games in 5 nights. 3 road games, Celtics, Hornets,Warriors and Suns. Enjoy. Go Rockets!!!!

dark_seid
03-17-2008, 01:02 PM
yeah ... i'm rooting for the rockets to get pass the next 4. because after that, their next few games will be against non-playoff-bound teams. 12 more games to go for the record.

now there's ray ray, david west and grant hill possibly out. who else from phx and gsw can miss the scheduled game vs the rockets? :D

mighty_lion
03-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Nuggets won against Seattle. Season high 168 points.

CM_Punk
03-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Denver is still in 9th place, a game and a half behind Golden State for the last Western playoff spot. That should be quite the interesting battle down the stretch, the race for the 8th spot.

Can't say the same for the East, though, with the current 8th place teams, New Jersey and Atlanta, 10 games below .500 level, ouch.* :-X

cub
03-17-2008, 10:27 PM
here's hoping that the Hawks would enter the playoffs. kawawa naman sila eh. kahit ma-sweep ng celtics, ok lang. :D when was the last time they entered the playoffs? a decade ago? ???

Mateen Cleaves
03-18-2008, 06:29 AM
I can just imagine the crowd reacting to this block in the last Hornets-Pistons game -- probably similar to how we all jumped up and roared over Pacquiao's 3rd round knockdown! ;D

Jason Maxiell smacks down Tyson Chandler (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEFNHxWwBws)

P.s. after reviewing the video, the other thing that struck me was the lack of reaction from any of the Pistons. No finger-wagging, chest bumping, or anything of that sort. Stunned, maybe? :D

Dark Knight
03-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Pistons just downed the Spurs. They're probably the best team that can end the Rockets streak. But Boston will be without Allen.

LION
03-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Pistons just downed the Spurs. They're probably the best team that can end the Rockets streak. But Boston will be without Allen.

It was actually the Celtics vs. Spurs which played this morning (Manila Time). Boston woke up just in time to come back from a 22 point deficit in the second quarter. Cassell, Pierce, Garnett and Rondo all conspired to make a spectacular comeback. Final Score was 91 - 87. Ray Allen did not play.

CM_Punk
03-18-2008, 04:07 PM
here's hoping that the Hawks would enter the playoffs. kawawa naman sila eh. kahit ma-sweep ng celtics, ok lang. :D when was the last time they entered the playoffs? a decade ago? ???

The Atlanta Hawks have the longest non-playoff appearance streak of all active NBA clubs, with the Hawks last making it way back in 1999, as the 4th seed. Yes, their fans have been through a lot of suffering already the past decade, so just making it at the 8th spot is already an accomplishment for that team.

cub
03-18-2008, 07:19 PM

It was actually the Celtics vs. Spurs which played this morning (Manila Time). Boston woke up just in time to come back from a 22 point deficit in the second quarter. Cassell, Pierce, Garnett and Rondo all conspired to make a spectacular comeback. Final Score was 91 - 87. Ray Allen did not play.

actually, the final score was 93-91.

Dark Knight
03-18-2008, 09:36 PM
Thanks LION for the correction. It was indeed the Celtics, not the Pistons. What the hell am i thinking that time? ;D

bigfreeze_bibby
03-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Nakakatakot pa yung huling play ng game wherein Garnett gave the ball to Horry from an inbound pass. Horry had a chance to win the game by attempting a three point attempt pero nagmintis na ito. It was a good game by the C's coming from behind to beat the Spurs. Two more big games in the texas triangle.

Dark Knight
03-19-2008, 10:54 AM
This promises to be good.

Celtics and Rockets tied at 40. Halftime. :P

Dark Knight
03-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Celtics end Rockets winning streak at 22, 94 - 74!!

Two sides ofthe Texas Triangle down. One more to go. Take down Dallas!!! ;D

Fearless forecast. Boston will win at Dallas and lose against New Orleans.

marmand
03-19-2008, 12:18 PM
The steak ended at 22. :( It was a good run for the Rockets. Now, It is time to see how they react after this lost. Time to start a new winning streak ;)

cub
03-19-2008, 12:42 PM
a losing streak maybe?? hahaha. phoenix fan here.. :)

john_paul_manahan
03-20-2008, 04:52 AM
rockets are on a big 3-game road trip with NO, GS and PHO.

CM_Punk
03-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Ouch, the Miami Heat just got blown out 96-54 against the Toronto Raptors. Miami's total score, according to the sports websites, tied for the third-lowest mark in NBA history since the league began using a shot clock in the 1954-55 season. No Wade, no chance whatsoever. Full tanking mode, indeed.

Dark Knight
03-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Houston lost their 2nd consecutive game against NO.

tigerman
03-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Vinsanity turning back the hands of time with 39 pts. 10 rebounds and 8 assists. It's been a while Vince.

The Nets are now tied with the Hawks for 8th spot in the East at 29-39 but the good thing for NJ is that they have the tiebreaker by virtue of a 3-1 season series against the latter.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Dark Knight
03-21-2008, 11:08 AM
The dreaded Texas Triangle was finally broken by the Celts, defeating the Mavs 90-94.

Now the team i fear the most. New Orleans... ;D

Trivia, no team has beaten the Lone Star Teams 3 in a row since the Sacramento Kings last November 2001.........until now.

stonecold316
03-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Hopefully the Boston Celtics and the LA Lakers meet in the NBA Finals to renew their decades old rivalry.

I'm very sure all the stars from showbiz and even in sports will come out just to see the two teams clash for the richest prize in pro-hoops.

stonecold316

aircanda
03-21-2008, 09:32 PM
Hopefully the Boston Celtics and the LA Lakers meet in the NBA Finals to renew their decades old rivalry.

I'm very sure all the stars from showbiz and even in sports will come out just to see the two teams clash for the richest prize in pro-hoops.

stonecold316

sir.. me on the other hand.. still hoping that LBJ would redeem himself from last years sweep... ;D bigay ko na lang kay KB24 MVP award.. hehehehe.. championship kay LBJ hehehehe

Dark Knight
03-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Celtics end Rockets winning streak at 22, 94 - 74!!

Two sides ofthe Texas Triangle down. One more to go. Take down Dallas!!!* ;D

Fearless forecast. Boston will win at Dallas and lose against New Orleans.

Talk about being Nostradamus or just plain tsamba. ;D Boston lost to NO 113 - 96.

cub
03-23-2008, 02:18 PM
its 113-106

john_paul_manahan
03-23-2008, 02:35 PM
top 8 in west just 5.5 games from 1-8th.

denver is 1.5 games back (ata)

Sam Miguel
03-24-2008, 12:20 PM
(From Los Angeles, CA...)

In the last 24 hours I just saw the top two teams in the NBA lose to relatively younger and less talented teams. Boston and its Big 3 lost 113-106 to the New Orleans Hornets behind the 4th quarter scoring binge of Brazilian guard Janero Pargo a couple nights back. This evening the Detroit Pistons just got walloped 95-83 to the still shorthanded Washington Wizards. So it seems even the best in the NBA are mortal after all, and are not as invincible as once thought.

David West scored a career-high 37 points in leading a comeback by the Hornets against the Celtics. Antawn Jamison scored 24 points and pulled down 12 rebounds, his latest double-double effort, to keep the Pistons at bay and give the Wizards the W.

In both instances the underdog teams got a big lift off the bench. Pargo and Bonzi Wells came off the pines to provide scoring and energy. Andray Blatch and Roger Mason stepped up for the Wizards.

As good as the Celtics and Pistons may be, these two games exposed the limitations of their respective benches. Although they may have solid starting units, getting consistent production from their reserves will be a key issue in the championship drive of the two teams. In the playoffs bench production often spells the difference between those who just made it and those who will take home the crown.

mighty_lion
03-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Kawawa naman si Dirk. Hopely his injury isnt that serious otherwise baka hindi na nga umabot sa playoff ang Dallas. On the positive side this mean more playing time for Brandon Bass.

dark_seid
03-24-2008, 01:18 PM
^let's hope cuban and the mavs do not rush dirk back unless he's really healthy

or if they do, let's hope avery is tough enough to resist letting dirk play

marmand
03-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Wont be surprised, if Dirk comes back after missing only one game. He did it before wherein people thought He would miss a substantial amount of games but He just missed one!

Kid Cubao
03-24-2008, 01:52 PM
^^ that was the time he hyperextended his knee. don nelson (his coach at the time) didn't expect him to be back until the following month, but to the surprise of everyone, he was back after a few days' rest.

dark_seid
03-24-2008, 03:19 PM
in the 2003 playoffs where dirk got his knee hyperextended against the spurs, dallas doctors cleared dirk to play after sitting a game or two. since this was the conference finals (with a weaker east opponent waiting at the finals), dirk also wanted to play. nellie denied everybody's wish including cuban's. the only way dirk will play was if nellie was fired as head coach.

all this info was made public after nellie and cuban had that very public spat over money. dirk even acknowledged that nellie saved/extended his career by not letting him play.

avery should also have such experience when the then defending champion spurs held out duncan, an impending unrestricted free agent, totally in the 2000 playoffs. pop refused to even consider using timmy in whatever situation as they fell to the "small-ball" playing suns in the opening round.

mighty_lion
03-24-2008, 05:46 PM
When I saw the headline the first thing that came to my mind was Bruce Bowen kicked Dirk's leg.

My bad. Mali. ;D

tigerman
03-25-2008, 12:24 AM
Dirk's akward landing earlier kinda reminds me of Shaun Livingston's akward landing last season. :o

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wbpAh6U91kQ

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2F2B796QeFk

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Sam Miguel
03-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Something form the folks over at Yahoo sports. I fully agree with this proposal.

Age minimum has already benefited players, NBA

By Kelly Dwyer, Special to Yahoo! Sports 5 hours, 23 minutes ago

NBA commissioner David Stern is already discussing raising the league’s minimum age from 19 years to 20, and you can hardly dismiss it as a nothing bit of saber-rattling because the question came up in a random Q&A with TIME Magazine two weeks ago.

The change won’t happen anytime soon. The collective bargaining agreement between the NBA and Players’ Association won’t lapse until after the 2010-11 season. But it’s safe to say Stern has already decided his expectations for the next round of bargaining.

The initial reaction is a sound one. Not only have a whole host of players (role players, stars and even future Hall of Famers) made a nearly seamless transition from high school to the NBA, but failures like Korleone Young and Leon Smith have been, almost exclusively, the exception.

On top of that, the current rule, which was established in 2005, forced high school players to wait at least one year after graduating – whether they stayed home, rocked off to Ohio State or took an overseas gig for a year – appears to be working quite well. The sporting fandom embraced players like Greg Oden and Kevin Durant as they worked through one year of college ball while the NBA received a free year of in-game training from the NCAA, which had no problem borrowing these talents on CBS’ dime.

So why change, now? Well, to Stern, if a little of one thing is great, a little more has to be a lot better.

And, you know what? He’s right.

It doesn’t mean he’s being fair, and it doesn’t mean that the idea of denying someone gainful employment at a job he is more than qualified for isn’t abhorrent to the very core, or a bit of an affront in the face of all that seems, well, American.

Stern is right, though. The first trial balloon was a complete success. Take Durant. Had he gone straight to the pros after high school, he would have become just another high-school star that rabid NBA fans would have to wait years to see the best from. General sports fans would take years to truly understand his gifts or even remember his name.

Instead, one year of hitting 18-foot jumpers for Texas changed that. While the NBA’s devout followers will still have to wait for his prime, the fair-weather fans are going to check box scores and tune into the odd ESPN game just to “see how Durant’s doing.” That wouldn’t be happening had he not spent that year in Texas.

Two years could not hurt any more than it could help. Ardent NBA observers aren’t exactly waiting with baited breath for O.J. Mayo or DeAndre Jordan to go in the June draft and then spend next season strapped to a lousy team’s bench. They don’t mind waiting as either player develops in a December game against Stanford or Missouri, just as long as it doesn’t have to be the second quarter of a game against the Grizzlies or Mavericks.

This rule change would not be designed for future Hall of Fame players. It would be for Mayo and Jordan, Shawne Williams-types who are just starting to come into their own at this level. It’s for guys like Mike Conley Jr., an All-Star in waiting, but also a clueless rookie at the game’s toughest position. Conley would have benefited more from another season at Ohio State than the 51-loss rebuilding campaign he’s endured with the Grizzlies.

If this means a couple of Odens and Durants have to slug it out another year with Dick Vitale behind the microphone, so be it. Durant is a once-in-a-lifetime star, and yet he’s still struggling mightily with any aspect of the NBA game beyond the hanging 19-foot jump shot.

So while the idea of limiting employment to those who have earned it makes our skin crawl, we also have to remember that this is a private league, and that its management and union get to choose who wears the uniform and who doesn’t. There is nothing that’s stopping a high-school senior from jetting off to join Tau Ceramica or Efes Pilsen for two years or hooking up with any one of this country’s minor-league outfits.

Who wouldn’t be the first in line to cheer a McDonald’s All-American as he spurns the NCAA’s money-making outfit in favor of playing better basketball for actual money in Europe? That would be fantastic.

In reality, Stern is essentially echoing the feelings of a whole host of people, from executives to coaches to scouts to fans, that he’s charged with representing. He’s telling these kids, “We don’t want you here, yet. We don’t need you here and you don’t really need to be here this soon. We’re doing just fine without you and we’ll just have to see you in a few years.”

This has nothing to do with the intellect, worldliness or maturity of these potential draftees. The 18- and 19 year-olds drafted over the last decade-plus, with a few exceptions, have proven to be sound in those areas.

This has everything to do with game.

tigerman
03-25-2008, 01:41 PM
The Lakers defeated the Warriors thanks to a crucial but dubious call by veteran ref Bob Deleaney. With the Lakers up by 2 with 4 seconds remaining and Golden State inbounding, he called an offensive foul on Monta Ellis who was clearly pulled down by Derek Fisher.

Last time I checked, the game should be decided by the players and not by the referees.

Bob Deleaney did not even have the angle to make that crucial call. If he can't really stop his whistle, he should have either; a) called a double foul on Kobe and Baron who were both hugging each other like lovebirds, b) double foul on Monta and Derek or c) an off-the ball foul on Derek. Of course, a no-call is the best call.

And I wonder why the referees did not stop the play at around 50 something seconds left in overtime. As seen from the camera, there was blood on Kobe's left cheek.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

erichubert
03-25-2008, 02:05 PM
That was sweat flowing from his head, it just looked like blood because it was near the cut he suffered earlier in the game. As for the foul, well that's how it is, you win some, you lose some. I think Golden State would really have a hard time getting to the playoffs now with the schedule they have coming up.

dark_seid
03-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Something form the folks over at Yahoo sports. I fully agree with this proposal.

Age minimum has already benefited players, NBA

By Kelly Dwyer, Special to Yahoo! Sports 5 hours, 23 minutes ago

i think that's a rebuttal to henry abbott's article
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-31-79/NBA-Players-Need-College--Prove-It-.html

basically it is summarized as

So why would the NBA want to ban these players who have done so well? My best guess is that the NBA is more profitable if they do not have to pay these players while they are still developing. The rookie scale keeps players cheap for their first three or four years in the NBA. If you can start that clock at age 19 or 20, instead of 17 or 18, then you are getting a year or two of at the end of those contracts when players like Dwyane Wade are superstars, winning you titles and the like, while still on cheap contracts. That's a great bargain for owners.

and oh, i read somewhere that ncaa rules state that practice time must never exceed 20 hours per week. so there's not really that much coaching and teaching as previously held as the advantage of going to college.

*anyway, both bloggers are colleagues. kelly dwyer has taken over for henry abbott sometimes. so i guess these ideas are being debated between them as well privately.

cub
03-25-2008, 04:44 PM
The Lakers defeated the Warriors thanks to a crucial but dubious call by veteran ref Bob Deleaney. With the Lakers up by 2 with 4 seconds remaining and Golden State inbounding, he called an offensive foul on Monta Ellis who was clearly pulled down by Derek Fisher.

Last time I checked, the game should be decided by the players and not by the referees.

Bob Deleaney did not even have the angle to make that crucial call. If he can't really stop his whistle, he should have either; a) called a double foul on Kobe and Baron who were both hugging each other like lovebirds, b) double foul on Monta and Derek or c) an off-the ball foul on Derek. Of course, a no-call is the best call.

And I wonder why the referees did not stop the play at around 50 something seconds left in overtime. As seen from the camera, there was blood on Kobe's left cheek.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Deleaney should experience this.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GUqqGp28OI&feature=related

it's a close game and you are going to make a crucial call to think that you have no clear sight on what really occured. BS!

CM_Punk
03-27-2008, 08:24 AM
Chris Webber didn't last too long in his NBA return, as his injuries have forced him to retire from Golden State. With Rose and Webber gone from the league, that leaves Juwan Howard as the only active player still left (with Dallas) from the Michigan Fab 5 of the early 90's.

mighty_lion
03-27-2008, 10:57 AM
Shaq is shooting 13/17 or 76% from the FT line in the last 3 games. Are you kidding me? ;D

Dark Knight
03-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Shaq is shooting 13/17 or 76% from the FT line in the last 3 games. Are you kidding me?* ;D

Kung kelan tumanda................ ;D

BTW, the great Kobe committed his 15th technical foul of the season asthe Lakers lost to Charlotte. 1 more and he will be suspended for 1 game. Go Kobe!!! ;D

dark_seid
03-28-2008, 11:43 AM
wow. dallas lost to denver (and the subsequent tie-breaker in head to head by 2-1). that means the mavs (ahead by 1 game in the loss column) have no more margin for error versus the nuggets in their playoff chase.

kidd is going to get a lot of hate if his current team misses the post-season while his former team makes it (nets, down by 1 game in the loss column, owns the tie-break in head to head by 3-1 to the hawks).

cub
03-28-2008, 05:37 PM
IMO, Kidd won't get much hate if the Mavs will miss the playoffs. i think the hate will go to Avery Johnson. Here's a proof.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilnYIcKemnk

marmand
03-28-2008, 05:45 PM
There seems to be a chemistry problem with the Mavericks. It starts with the coach and the owner which is rubbing off to its players. I still think they make the playoffs but it will really be close. The game to decide their fate would be on Monday vs. the Warriors.

cub
03-29-2008, 11:07 PM
so who do you think will be the MVP, ROY etc..??

my prediction:

MVP: Kobe (Lakers)
ROY: Kevin Durant (Sonics)
MIP: Hedo Turkoglu (Magic)
6th Man: Manu Ginobili (Spurs)
COTY: Byron Scott (Hornets)
Defensive Player: Marcus Camby (Nuggets)

All NBA 1st team:
Amare Stoudemire (Suns)
Kevin Garnett (Celtics)
LeBron James (Cavs)
Kobe Bryant (Lakers)
Chris Paul (Hornets)

All NBA 2nd team:
Dwight Howard (Magic)
Tim Duncan (Spurs)
Dirk Nowitzki (Mavs)
Paul Pierce (Celtics)
Steve Nash (Suns)

john_paul_manahan
03-30-2008, 06:22 AM
MVP: Kobe, CP3, Lebron, KG - interchangeable si Kobe or CP3 depending on where they place in seeding
ROY: Kevin Durant - but do not discount Al Horford.
MIP: Hedo Turkoglu - no complaints. he is what Grant Hill would have been when healthy.
6th Man: Manu Ginobili - no brainer
COTY: Byron Scott - another no-brainer
Defensive Player: Marcus Camby - CP3 would be my darkhorse

All NBA 1st team:
G - Kobe Bryant
G - Chris Paul
F - Lebron James
F - Kevin Garnett
C - Dwight Howard

All NBA 2nd team:
G - Steve Nash
G - Baron Davis
F - Tim Duncan
F - Dirk Nowitzki
C - Amare Stoudemire

All-NBA 3rd Team
G - Deron Williams
G - Allen Iverson
F - Carmelo Anthony
F - Antawn Jamison
C - Chris Bosh

tigerman
03-30-2008, 10:14 AM
Dirk Nowitzki, the NBA's reigning MVP, thinks it's time for Kobe Bryant to finally take home the trophy, according to ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

"He's the best player in the game and he's never won it before. He's had his injuries, his team [has] had injuries and they're still right up there in the West. They just beat us without [Pau] Gasol and [Andrew] Bynum. I think this is his time," Nowitzki said.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/51663/20080329/dirk_kobe_should_be_mvp/

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

tigerman
03-30-2008, 10:21 AM
The Nets just lost to the Suns a while ago. Their record is now at 31-43 while Atlanta is at 32-40. With a 3-loss advantage and a relatively easier sked, I guess NJ's streak of playoff appearance and Atlanta's playoff drought would be both over.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

dark_seid
04-01-2008, 09:56 PM
this is it. 16 days to decide which western teams will head where to begin the playoffs. i forgot who first mentioned this, but it has been high quality battles in the west since march started. it almost is like the 2008 playoffs started ahead of the actual schedule. it's a definite treat for all nba fans. ;D

tigerman
04-02-2008, 12:21 AM
The race for the 8th spot in the West.
'Langya sa east, wala pa sa .500 ang record ng mga contenders doon for the 8th spot.* ;D
Sa west, puwede nang maging division champ.

Remaining games:

Denver (45-29)
vs. Phoenix
vs. Sacramento
@ Seattle
@ LA Clippers
@ Golden State
@ Utah
vs. Houston
vs. Memphis

Dallas (46-28)
vs. Golden State
@ LA Lakers
@ Phoenix
vs. Seattle
vs. Utah
@ Portland
@ Seattle
vs. New Orleans

Golden State (45-28)
@ San Antonio
@ Dallas
@ Memphis
@ New Orleans
vs. Sacramento
vs. Denver
vs. LA Clippers
@ Phoenix
vs. Seattle

Looking at their remaining games, Golden State seems to have the most difficult sched among the 3. Out of their 8 remaining games, 5 are against playoff teams and 4 are on the road.

Dallas still has 5 remaining games against playoff teams with 3 at home and 2 on the road.

Denver also has 5 remaining games vs. playoff teams with 2 at home and 3 on the road.

Let's see... Anything can happen especially in the NBA where amazing happens.* ;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

marmand
04-02-2008, 12:56 AM
The top 6 spots is also so close that the 6th placed team ( Rockets, as of 3/31/08 ) is just 1.5 games behind the number one seed. ( Tied at the moment between the Spurs and the Hornets ) Its April and No Western Conference team has clinched a playoff berth. Now thats Amazing! :o

marmand
04-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Dirk is playing already. Lucky for Mavs fans because without him I doubt they make the playoffs.

The_Big_Cat
04-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Dirk is playing already. Lucky for Mavs fans because without him I doubt they make the playoffs.

I think its too early for him to play. With a mild knee and ankle sprain at least they should have kept him for another 2 games. But considering that they are in dire straits, what the hell, ALL-IN! :D :D

JonarSabilano
04-03-2008, 02:52 PM
Dirk is playing already.* Lucky for Mavs fans because without him I doubt they make the playoffs.

I think its too early for him to play. With a mild knee and ankle sprain at least they should have kept him for another 2 games. But considering that they are in dire straits, what the hell, ALL-IN!* :D :D

Eighteen points. Not bad.

marmand
04-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Its just so surprising that He ( Dirk ) heals so fast. He did it before and look what happened now. Mavs fans must be thanking their lucky stars that they ave a player that seems to be ( you can say ) durable.

erichubert
04-03-2008, 07:00 PM
That is true, compared to Pau Gasol who missed 9 games because of a diagnosed moderate sprained ankle, Dirk missed what 3 games? Even if he supposedly suffered not only a sprained ankle but also a sprained knee. I think Dallas should make it as the 7th seed, and they would probably be the best 7th seed ever in the NBA.

marmand
04-03-2008, 07:30 PM
^ Hoping they dont catch the Rockets for the 6th seed. ;)

aircanda
04-03-2008, 10:08 PM
GSW lost today.. what would happen to them.. hoping that they would still make it in the playoffs..
underdogs rules!! ;D

nice game for dirk nga.. he may not be one my fave player but he impressed me especially ang bilis nia mag-heal..
siguro masipag sa stretching to? ;D

The_Big_Cat
04-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Its just so surprising that He ( Dirk ) heals so fast. He did it before and look what happened now. Mavs fans must be thanking their lucky stars that they ave a player that seems to be ( you can say ) durable.

Just by Dirk's mere presence in the court was enough to energize his teammates and eventually their crowd. Dirk did a "Willis Reed". Avery Johnson played Dirk few minutes off his regular playing minutes due to his injury.

The pressure is on Dallas (especially with the KIDD TRADE) to perform well right now, if not they might dismantle this team two years time.

marmand
04-04-2008, 01:18 PM
As of today, No Western Conference team has clinched a playoff berth. That is really amazing. No position from 1 to 8 has been locked up by any team. :o

CM_Punk
04-04-2008, 05:58 PM
With Donnie Walsh becoming the new president of basketball operations for the New York Knicks, the struggling franchise might finally be able to rebuild properly, and get back their once proud image around the league. I think Walsh should follow the Portland blueprint for success, and first get rid of the bad attitudes on the team, and then draft young good players who are hungry and eager to learn. Considering how weak the Eastern conference is, he can get the team back on track in 2 years if he does a good job of fixing up the roster.

mighty_lion
04-04-2008, 08:37 PM

Just by Dirk's mere presence in the court was enough to energize his teammates and eventually their crowd. Dirk did a "Willis Reed". Avery Johnson played Dirk few minutes off his regular playing minutes due to his injury.

The pressure is on Dallas (especially with the KIDD TRADE) to perform well right now, if not they might dismantle this team two years time.

Dallas after acquiring Kidd now have a legit answer against box and 1 defense of Golden State. Funny thing is they have to prove that the Kidd trade is worth of what they have given out to New Jersey by taming other West contenders.

The_Big_Cat
04-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Contrasting fortunes for Dallas. Last season they easily took the number 1 seed. Now they are fighting just to stay at the 7th or 8th spot.

stonecold316
04-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Contrasting fortunes for Dallas. Last season they easily took the number 1 seed. Now they are fighting just to stay at the 7th or 8th spot.

Mas mabuti na ang ganito kaysa Number 1 sila. Less pressure ika nga. I think they have a chance with Kidd around. Nag-iiba ang mama kapag play-offs.

stonecold316

marmand
04-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Its a matter of who is peaking at the right time.

The_Big_Cat
04-05-2008, 01:22 PM

Mas mabuti na ang ganito kaysa Number 1 sila. Less pressure ika nga. I think they have a chance with Kidd around. Nag-iiba ang mama kapag play-offs.

stonecold316

Even without the number one seed this season, there is still pressure on Dallas because of the Jason Kidd trade. Jason Kidd is already 35. He's no "spring-chicken" no more. If not this year, their last chance would be next season or else dismantle the team.

The same goes for Phoenix, Shawn Marion felt that Phoenix will not go beyond the Western Conference finals. That is why Marion was asking to be traded and eventually got it. With Shaq at 36 and Nash at 33, Phoenix needs to perform well right now.

As Steve Kerr would put it regarding the Shaq-Marion trade:
"If it works, I am a genius. If it doesn't, I am a moron"

marmand
04-05-2008, 01:56 PM
With only one game separating the Mavs, Nuggets and the Warriors, The team that reaches 51 wins will make the playoffs outright and the 7th seed while 50 wins might go down to a tie-breaker

Dallas 47-29 Games left: @ Suns, Sonics, Jazz, @ Blazers, @ Sonics and Hornets. Possibly 4 wins = 51-31 Denver 46-29 Games left: Kings, @ Sonics, @ Clippers, @ Warriors, @ Jazz, Rockets and Grizzlies Possibly 4 wins= 50-32
Warriors 46-30 Games Left: @ Hornets, Kings, Nuggets, Clippers, @ Suns and Sonics Possibly 4 wins = 50-32

Mavs and Warriors have the lighter sked but since the Mavs are 1 up as of today they will take 7th while the game between Nuggets and Warriors on the 10th shall be pivotal for tie breaker. Nuggets lead season battle 2-1 If Warriors win then it will depend on the conference record. As of today, Denver has a 27-18 record compared to the Warriors of 26-20. If this holds Nuggets get 8th seed.

The_Big_Cat
04-05-2008, 02:02 PM
People would want to see Jason Kidd again in the finals. Sentimental favorite si Kidd ngayon but time is not on Jason's side.

marmand
04-05-2008, 02:07 PM
^ Who knows they might just peak at the right time. Although, as the 7th seed they might have to play the Spurs in the first round then the Lakers in the 2nd round and maybe the 1st seed Hornets in the West Finals. Though Road but doable.

cub
04-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Should the Mavs finish 7th, they will face either the Spurs or the Lakers. IMO, they have a better chance against the Spurs compared to the Lakers. i think they can beat the Spurs in 7games but they CANNOT beat the Lakers in a series. 3 times this season, Mavs with Kidd, they end up losing to the Lakers. and oh, all of those were close games--just like what we'll witness in the playoffs.

stonecold316
04-05-2008, 10:40 PM
76ers top Hawks, wrap up playoff spot
04/05/2008 | 02:09 PM
Email this | Email the Editor | Print | Digg this | Add to del.icio.us
ATLANTA - Andre Iguodala scored 30 points and Andre Miller had 23 to help the Philadelphia 76ers wrap up their first playoff spot in three years with a 109-104 victory over the Atlanta Hawks on Friday night.

Philadelphia, which stopped the Hawks' five-game winning streak, never trailed after Miller's layup made tied it at 67 with 3:09 left in the third.

Joe Johnson led Atlanta with 32 points, but he fell down and lost the ball on what appeared to be a damp floor while dribbling with 1:36 remaining.

Iguodala, who also had 10 assists, drove the length of the floor for a layup banked high off the backboard that put Philadelphia up 103-96.

The Sixers have won two straight and 21 of 28. The teams will play again Saturday in Philadelphia, where the Sixers are 13-2 in the second game of back-to-backs.

Atlanta never got closer than an 88-all tie on Josh Childress' 8-foot runner with 6:36 remaining.

The Hawks were down 91-90 after Childress dunked in a putback at the 5:25 mark, but Miller pulled up for a 16-footer against Marvin Williams that started another Philadelphia run.

Iguodala, who hit a 3-pointer in the final second of the third to make it 77-74, came within three of his season high.

Mike Bibby had 11 assists, but he was just 1-for-11 from the field for Atlanta. Childress finished with 20 points in a reserve role.

Notes:@ The Hawks dropped to 7-34 when entering the fourth quarter with a deficit. ... Philadelphia improved to 9-6 against the Southeast Division, 3-4 on the road. ... Atlanta was just 4-for-13 on 3-point attempts. - AP

stonecold316
04-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Lakers clinch NBA playoff spot
04/05/2008 | 03:00 PM
LOS ANGELES - Lamar Odom scored a season-high 31 points, Kobe Bryant added 25 points and 10 rebounds, and the Los Angeles Lakers clinched a playoff berth Friday night with a 112-108 victory over the Dallas Mavericks.

The Lakers have qualified for the playoffs in 55 of their 60 seasons as a franchise, winning 14 NBA championships and 27 division titles — hoping for a 28th with a magic number of five.

Phil Jackson has made the playoffs in all 17 seasons as an NBA head coach — eight with the Lakers and nine with the Chicago Bulls. Jackson, whose nine NBA titles are tied with fellow Hall of Famer Red Auerbach, also holds the all-time mark for postseason victories with 179.

Pau Gasol had 25 points and seven assists for the Lakers, and Odom grabbed 10 rebounds. It was the sixth time this season that they have had three players with 20 or more points — all victories.

Gasol and reigning MVP Dirk Nowitzki both were playing their second game with their respective clubs since returning from ankle injuries. Gasol was 11-for-20 from the field and Nowitzki was 13-for-19.

Nowitzki led the Mavs with 27 points, Jason Terry scored 25 and Josh Howard added 23. Jason Kidd had 10 points, eight assists and seven rebounds. This was the Mavericks' 10th loss that was decided by four points or less.

The Lakers won three of the four meetings with Dallas, reversing last year's results when the Mavs won the season series for the first time since 1986-87 and only the second time overall.

The Mavericks led 106-103 with 1:29 to play, but the Lakers ended the game with a 9-2 spurt that included a three-point play by Gasol and two free throws each by Bryant and Sasha Vujacic in the final 18 seconds.

Nowitzki, who was a last-minute replacement for Bryant in this year's All-Star 3-point shooting contest due to Bryant's dislocated right pinkie, did not attempt a shot from behind the arc until he connected with 8:51 left in the game to give Dallas a 94-89 lead. He did not go to the free throw line the entire game.

Los Angeles trailed by as many as 14 points midway through the second quarter before narrowing the gap to 68-64 on Bryant's layup with 8:17 left in the third. But the Mavericks responded with a 12-5 spurt that restored their double-digit lead to 80-69 with 4:32 left in the period. - AP

stonecold316
04-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Okur gets 17 as Jazz crush Spurs 90-64
04/05/2008 | 04:52 PM
SALT LAKE CITY - Mehmet Okur had 17 points and 16 rebounds and the Utah Jazz ended San Antonio's eight-game winning streak, beating the Spurs 90-64 on Friday night.

San Antonio matched its lowest point total in franchise history, set in a loss to Cleveland in March 1997. The Jazz held the defending NBA champion Spurs without a point for almost the first 4 minutes of the fourth quarter.

Utah dominated the Spurs the same way San Antonio controlled the Jazz in the Western Conference finals last spring, winning easily in five games.

Deron Williams had his 50th double-double of the season with 16 points and 11 assists, opening the fourth quarter with a high alley-oop to Andrei Kirilenko to start a 13-0 run for the Jazz. Kirilenko finished with 10 points and six assists, and Carlos Boozer added 16 points and flustered Spurs star Tim Duncan all night.

Duncan finished with 15 points and 10 rebounds, but sat most of the fourth quarter as the Jazz ran away with it.

Tony Parker had 17 points for San Antonio, but only four assists.

Unlike last year's playoffs, the Jazz never let the Spurs get too far ahead. San Antonio never led by more than eight and Utah easily overcame that deficit and took command in the third quarter.

Kirilenko, who has missed 10 games this season with injuries, went hard to the floor while going after loose balls in the third quarter. He tied up Michael Finley on one play early in the third quarter and forced a jump ball, which Utah won. Boozer broke the tie on two free throws, starting a 6-0 run for the Jazz.

Later in the period, Kirilenko hit the floor again in almost the same spot when he stripped the ball from Manu Ginobili to start a fast break for the Jazz. Kyle Korver, who scored 11, was fouled on the layup attempt and made both free throws to give Utah a 64-53 lead. Fabricio Oberto got the two points back for San Antonio when he took a forearm from Boozer in the lane and made both free throws, but Utah still led by nine entering the fourth quarter and had the Spurs scrambling.

Williams opened the fourth quarter with a high alley-oop pass to Kirilenko, who came out of nowhere to grab it and slam it in to the delight of the Utah fans, who got even louder when San Antonio turned over the ball and Harpring scored on a back-door layup to put Utah up 68-55.

Kirilenko added a three-point play, Williams made two free throws and Harpring got behind the defense for another easy layup to put Utah up 75-55 and force San Antonio to call a second time out in the fourth quarter.

San Antonio didn't score in the fourth until Damon Stoudamire, in after coach Gregg Popovich emptied the bench, hit a 19-foot jumper with 8:11 left in the game. That got the Spurs within 20 again at 77-57.

Notes:@ Williams left the game in the first quarter to have his ankle re-taped. ... Duncan and Parker were the only Spurs who scored in double figures. ... The Jazz close the regular season April 16 at San Antonio, where they haven't won since 1999. ... The Spurs did not score for the final 2:04 of the second quarter. - AP

marmand
04-06-2008, 03:12 PM
The Kings played the spoiler's role again. This time they beat the Nuggets thus creating a tie for 8th place between the Nuggets and the Warriors. Above them in 7th place are the Mavs who are only one game ahead. 6 games left for all three teams. It will be a race that might go down to the last game to decide who is in or out.

coreytaylor
04-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Should the Mavs finish 7th, they will face either the Spurs or the Lakers. IMO, they have a better chance against the Spurs compared to the Lakers. i think they can beat the Spurs in 7games but they CANNOT beat the Lakers in a series. 3 times this season, Mavs with Kidd, they end up losing to the Lakers. and oh, all of those were close games--just like what we'll witness in the playoffs.

no offense dude but i dont think they will have a better chance against the spurs too. san antonio, for me, is the team to beat in the western conference when it comes to the playoffs. they are proven winners in the playoffs. they also defend excellently against teams with offensive prowess.

marmand
04-07-2008, 12:07 PM
:o Denver losing again to a non playoff bound team. 151-147 2 ot to Seattle. This opens up the door for the Warriors, who lost to the Hornets. These losses helps the Mavs increase their lead by 2 games with 5 games to go for the 7th seed. BIG game on thu or fri., Warriors vs Nuggets.

The_Big_Cat
04-07-2008, 12:55 PM
:o Denver losing again to a non playoff bound team. 151-147 2 ot to Seattle. This opens up the door for the Warriors, who lost to the Hornets. These losses helps the Mavs increase their lead by 2 games with 5 games to go for the 7th seed. BIG game on thu or fri., Warriors vs Nuggets.

Yes. It will benefit Dallas. Big break for them considering how they are struggling after the Kidd trade and Nowitzki injury. If they stay at #7, they will be probably face either the Lakers or Spurs.

marmand
04-07-2008, 01:15 PM
I good question was posted in another forum, Should the Mavs rest Dirk until the playoffs? This is a legitimate question that also applies to T-Mac. The only reason not to is seeding but looking at how deep the western conference is then anything can happen even without home court advantage.

The_Big_Cat
04-07-2008, 01:27 PM
It is safe to say that Dallas will not hold a home court advantage in the playoffs consdiering they are in the bottom half of the draw.

LeBron James is also bothered by a bad back. Cleveland is currently the 4th seed in the east. Perhaps, they might need to rest James.

marmand
04-07-2008, 01:34 PM
^ Yes. Dallas will not have home court advantage! It will take a miracle for them to have it. The Jazz, Suns and Rockets must go like 1-4 in their last games in order to even think about the MAVS having Home court advantage. If by some fluke this happens, I cant even imagine the tie-breaker scenario wherein the Mavs might not still have home court advantage.

mighty_lion
04-07-2008, 02:23 PM
:o Denver losing again to a non playoff bound team. 151-147 2 ot to Seattle.* This opens up the door for the Warriors, who lost to the Hornets. These losses helps the Mavs increase their lead by 2 games with 5 games to go for the 7th seed.* BIG game on thu or fri., Warriors vs Nuggets.

Denver has always been like that throughout the season. They can blow any NBA team with 20 points or more and then the following day sila naman ang tinatambakan ng 20 points. ???

The_Big_Cat
04-07-2008, 02:40 PM

Denver has always been like that throughout the season. They can blow any NBA team with 20 points or more and then the following day sila naman ang tinatambakan ng 20 points. ???

May tawag diyan. INCONSISTENT.
But they are one of the highest scoring teams in the NBA along with Golden State (NBA Best).

dark_seid
04-07-2008, 03:44 PM
both denver's and golden state's defense need to exist first eh.

but my hope of seeing a 50-win team miss the playoff is shrinking by the day with all these losses to non-playoff bound teams (both gsw and den have 31 losses already and they're slated to meet up in the next few days).

oh and 9 pts by phx in the 4th playing at home ... i wonder if shaq daddy will start throwing those glib one-liners of the team not giving him touches and yada yada. maybe he'll hold off until they actually do that in playoffs and lose the series (hopefully to the lakers and kobe ;D).

marmand
04-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Nuggets fans blame coach Karl for the inconsistent play of the Nuggets. His timing for substitution ( and lack off at critical times) are one of the reasons that the team is under performing. They even said that if they had a coach like Popavich ( spelling ? ) that the team would contend for the title. Hard to say if this is true but I believe its their defense that needs to improve. It is a shame because they have the probable defensive player of the league in their roster, Marcus Camby.

mighty_lion
04-07-2008, 08:08 PM
List of points allowed by Denver since mid-March. ;D

136pts to Det
115pts to Philly
114pts to New Jersey
112pts to Golden State
132pts to Phx
120pts to Phx
118pts to Sacramento
151pts to Seattle (Double OT)

marmand
04-07-2008, 08:21 PM
^ There you go! Defense, Defense, Defense. Unless they solve this, Its hello Warriors in the Playoffs. They should have gone for Ron Artest before the trade deadline. Heard it was Karl who vetoed the deal and Linas Klieza was the deal breaker. Imagine a line-up of:

C - Marcus Camby
PF - Kenyon Martin
SF - Carmelo Anthony
SG - Ron Artest
PG -Allen Iverson

:o :o :o :o :o What a line-up both defensive and offensive.

dark_seid
04-07-2008, 09:16 PM
Nuggets fans blame coach Karl for the inconsistent play of the Nuggets. His timing for substitution ( and lack off at critical times) are one of the reasons that the team is under performing. They even said that if they had a coach like Popavich ( spelling ? ) that the team would contend for the title. Hard to say if this is true but I believe its their defense that needs to improve. It is a shame because they have the probable defensive player of the league in their roster, Marcus Camby.

this one i have to disagree with. camby always goes for the block or the steal, basically the stats people use to gauge defensive capability. i thought charley rosen was exaggerating when he pointed this out until i saw how tim duncan was just having his cake and eating it too versus the camby-led frontline in a spurs-nuggets game a month ago.

marmand
04-07-2008, 09:34 PM

this one i have to disagree with. camby always goes for the block or the steal, basically the stats people use to gauge defensive capability. i thought charley rosen was exaggerating when he pointed this out until i saw how tim duncan was just having his cake and eating it too versus the camby-led frontline in a spurs-nuggets game a month ago.

If I had to choose a Defensive player of the year, it would be Shane Battier. ;D

cub
04-07-2008, 10:13 PM
being the DPOY doesn't necessarily mean that you must belong to the top in rebounding, blocking and stealing department. it is how you defend the best player of your opponent, how you limit his points or make his fg% worse and how you intimidate shots. just look at the players who were in the defensive team last year. Raja Bell, Kobe Bryant, Bruce Bowen and Kirk Hinrich. all of them are not included in the top5 or maybe top10 in steals, blocks and rebounds, but they defend very well.

anyway, i hope Phoenix gets the 5th seed and have a better record than the Jazz. though being 5th seed, they will have homecourt advantage against the Jazz. as we all know, Jazz is miserable at other's court but are dangerous at home. so homecourt advantage will really play a big role here.

mighty_lion
04-08-2008, 09:14 AM
Defense is not only Denver's problem. Denver is 12-2 if Iverson has 10+ assists this season. Somehow they have to accept the reality that they will go nowhere in the Western conference if Iverson keeps on averaging 20+ FG attempts per game. Not that that Iverson is a stupid scorer but somehow they need to involve thier teammates.

Believe it or not but Camby is one of the best when it comes to stats stuffing. The motivation? Camby's contract contains a bonus clause wherein if he average certain number of rebounds and blocks, he gets additional $2 million every season. :P

Artest will do no good for Denver. Defensively they wont until Karl trains them on how to become a defensive team. Also, its hard to imagine a team with 3 guys who wants the ball every posession.

marmand
04-08-2008, 09:48 AM
^ Do you think the Andre Miller-Iverson trade was a bad trade? They really miss a legitimate point guard. Basketball fans know Iverson is not your typical point guard, in fact He is a shooting guard, a shoot first type of a player. Had they kept Miller and traded for Artest then they could have addressed their problem defensively and leadership.

Sharing the ball, I have to agree with you but if you get Artest to focus ( like what he did with the Kings three years ago ) then only Carmelo and JR Smith demands the ball frequently. ( Assuming the Miller-Iverson trade did not happen )

Again, it starts also with coaching, Karl is an offensive minded coach. They should get Jeff Van Gundy to help establish some defensive patterns.

All in all, its defense and floor leadership that the Nuggets seem to lack.

mighty_lion
04-08-2008, 10:34 AM
^ Nope. Iverson-Miller trade is a good one. All I meant was Iverson is a known scorer in the leauge. One of the best if not the best. The problem is that Denver tolerates Iverson's game as a volume scorer. It wont work especially if you have Melo, another volume scorer on the same team. Teams like Hornets, Suns, Spurs and Utah have all scoring point guards, but what separates them from Iverson is that they "efficient" rather than "volume" scoring point guards. Iverson is one of the best passer in the NBA but Denver aint using it that way. George Karl should be the first one to tone it the right way. This is one of the reason why I dont like Denver despite being a "high-octane" offensive team. Kung hindi si Anthony ang titira si Iverson. Boring.

Lastly, they do have problem on defense.

tigerman
04-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Everytime I see LBJ in the daily top 10 even when he's not deserving, I can't help but wish that the pre-injury Wade and Miami would be back soon... At least, most of his highlights are deserving to be included therein.

I won't be surprised at all if the daily top 10 would include clips in different angles of Lebron biting his fingernails...

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

The_Big_Cat
04-08-2008, 12:48 PM
That is just the make up of Denver, a high scoring system because of its high scoring players of Anthony and Iverson. Kenyon Martin is also a scorer. The only role player in that starting five is Marcus Camby (last season's Defensive Player of the Year).

I think they have to change the make-up of the team in order for them to be a good defensive team. Not enough role players.

Like San Antonio, they have Ginobili, Duncan and Parker as their main scoring threat and the rest are secondary or role players (Bowen, Oberto, Horry, Finley,Thomas). San Antonio has players willing to sacrifice their offense to make their team more formidable. That is why San Antonnio and New Orleans are the teams to beat in the West. They have excellent bench production.

marmand
04-08-2008, 06:10 PM
The sprint for the 8th seed in the west continues tomorrow with the Nuggets at Utah and the Clippers at the Warriors. Looks bad for Nuggets fan. A harder match up before their duel with the Warriors. In the East, the 8th seed seems to be locked up by the Hawks. The Nets streak of consecutive playoff appearance is all but done. 4 games below the Hawks with 5 games to go. The other disappointing club in the East is the Bulls. One more win by the Hawks or one more lost by the Bulls ends their playoff hopes.

marmand
04-08-2008, 07:22 PM
It is a pity that the Late Dennis Johnson did not make the Hall of Fame this year. DJ was a consistent player that leads by example. A hard worker. A true gentleman on and off court.