PDA

View Full Version : IS IT THE GREEN OR RED??? SEASON 7O's "The PUMAREN's Clash"

liu yang
10-01-2007, 03:08 PM
red or green???
though my favorite color's green doesn't matter coz i'll be wearing red... though i'm finding it hard coz i dnt have red shirts... :)
Go Fyt RED and WHITE!!!
Its UE's ballgame of the Season 70 of UAAP

Dark Knight
10-01-2007, 03:34 PM
This is the second time the sibling rivalry between coaches will happen. The first one was during the 2003 championship series. The Holy War as many called it was between Joel Banal (Ateneo) ad Koy Banal (FEU).

Lets face the reality. 90% UERedWarriors will win. So its UE. ;D

GreenArrows
10-01-2007, 03:49 PM
UE is highly favored to win this one. The best we can hope for is not to be blown out by UE the way FEU blew ADMU away in 2003.

mighty_lion
10-01-2007, 04:21 PM
This series is favored to end with RED side no matter how you want to view it. UE has the manpower and the system. The only thing that they dont have is Finals experience. This game will be the best measure on how the hot warriors will finish.

Ako simple lang. For an inexperienced team like UE, the most important thing right now is to bag game ONE at all cost. Anything shorter than that, malaki ang effect dahil magkakaroon ng psychological advantage ang DLSU. If they can win game one, I dont see any reason na hindi pa matatapos ang series sa game two. Pakibantayan na lang ang mga bata against Binondo gangsters. Totoo man o hindi yong kay Bonbon last year, sana hindi na maulit.

Kung ako La Salle, forget the historical sweep and focus all the best to win Game One and shake up UE's confidence. DLSU showed they can stay close with UE during thier last meeting. If not for that missed free throw by Casio, it may have a different story. Composure/Poise - mag-baon ng madami nito. Yesterday, Ateneo was still able to rally nung closing game. They were able cut down the deficit to 2 points kahit dying seconds. Its a good thing DLSU had a double digit margin nung last two minutes. Sa UE kailangan at least 15 points ang lamang nyo pagdating ng last 2 minutes sa fourth kung wala yan ---> Composure/Poise. Isipin nyo na lang si James Martinez nag-mainit ang kamay nyan pagpatapos na ang oras regardless lamang man sila or hindi.

oca
10-01-2007, 04:28 PM
The way Dindo watched and monitored the games of its possible opponent starting with the UST-FEU tie break for 4th, this series is for UE to lose.

Dindo took notes, literally. (That diligence must be rewarded.) Equally important to what he noted down, he has the manpower to counter what DLSU has demonstrated on court so far.

As DLSU was pushed to the limit, Franz has probably pulled every card he has under his sleeves. Imo, wala na talagang itatago ang DLSU. But nothing beats "execution". If the Archers can play top-level basketball for full 40 minutes, pwede silang maka-isa and nobody can tell for sure what will happen in a game 3 setting.

But DLSU has not played consistent on a game to game basis and even on a game long basis. Also, just as he commented that Chris Tiu and the Eagles bench looked tired, I hope his boys will not be suffering the same entering the finals.

Lamang ang UE sa bawat posisyon and DLSU's cause is aggravated with the loss of Ilad. Maaaring pagod na rin ang Archers, pero pwede namang off ang rhythm ng Warriors due to the long waiting period.

If DLSU can make game 1, as it progresses, to be an emotional game, they can steal it. But if they can't, I just don't see them stopping UE in ending the 22 (22 na nga ba?) year drought.

For UE, all it needs to do is play level headed and sensibly.

Fried Green Tomato
10-01-2007, 05:18 PM
We accepted the fact that after a La Salle-ateneo series, it is very hard to elevate the team's performance to a higher ground. Ateneo suffered the same predicament after the final 4 series in 2003 and to many La Sallians, yesterday was already the culmination of the season (they do not care anymore about the finals). Well, the reactions yesterday were just normal after experiencing a hard-fought victory. But after a day or two, things are going back to normal and eventually, we still want to win the crown.

Winning the UAAP crown against UE is easier said than done. All season long, they have played well and even a notch or two higher than any other teams. The sweep is for real and even when they had 3 weeks of rest (or rust), we still have to live with the fact that they are still the team to beat.

All the odds are truly against us but our team is going to play and we are going to cheer! Years ago, we could easily say "never underestimate the heart of a champion" but now, i don't know anymore if the heart could still go all the way and not look at the reality of life.

As said here, everything is about game 1. If we win game 1 then we have a 50-50 chance of bagging the crown. We're just happy where we are and bahala na sa finals!

easter
10-01-2007, 05:40 PM
This could be the most crucial game 1 in UAAP history. About 60% of how the series will go will hinge on Game 1.

If La Salle wants to shock UE, game 1 is the most appropriate time. Due to rust, UE will be most vulnerable during the 1st quarter so DLSU must get a good lead at this point. UE will adjust in the 2nd and 3rd but they will be hindered again by the rust effects in the 4th. They could be easily tired for not playing this long. DLSU is a superbly conditioned team.

Another going for DLSU is they know this territory. For UE nobody has been here before except for their coach and that was when he was still playing for the opposite side.

mighty_lion
10-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Nafocus si Dindo sa TV kahapon. Me dala-dalang notebook at nagsusulat. Suplado. Deadma lang sa camera.

Ganun ka seryoso ang tao. ;D

Howard the Duck
10-01-2007, 11:04 PM
the only way the greens can win is:

1) the format will be a knockout game
2) they win game 1 ;D

john_paul_manahan
10-01-2007, 11:46 PM
imperative: dlsu better win game 1. if not, ue will take this. i agree with everybody here. no one questions the warriors' hunger.

p.s. i just got to meet tracy abad in person. she's so hot... ;D

flsfnoeraekadad
10-01-2007, 11:52 PM
We will win.

Mark my word.

I'll come back by Sunday night after the victory party. ;D

mabelle_dj
10-02-2007, 01:28 AM
My bet is on UE. Think about it. A twice to beat advantage for a team that has been unbeaten all season are pretty good odds.

aircanda
10-02-2007, 02:10 AM
My bet is on UE.* Think about it.* A twice to beat advantage for a team that has been unbeaten all season are pretty good odds.

im sorry, im lost.. twice to beat ba ang UE?paki confirm..plz... anyone?

shyboy
10-02-2007, 06:39 AM
My bet is on UE.* Think about it.* A twice to beat advantage for a team that has been unbeaten all season are pretty good odds.

Yes, UE is twice to beat. So is DLSU. ;D

gameface_one
10-02-2007, 06:46 AM
Game One key to UE’s stab at history

Tuesday, October 2, 2007
Philstar.com

For University of the East coach Dindo Pumaren, sweeping the elims is one thing. Winning championship games is another.

In fact, Pumaren said at this stage he is still figuring out how to win Game One of their keenly awaited best-of-three series with La Salle at the Araneta Coliseum on Thursday.

“We’re not thinking of anything else right now except how to win in Game 1,” said Pumaren, whose Warriors will not only be facing a fired-up Archers but also likely to fight off rust brought about by a three-week rest.

That’s their bonus, or minus, for winning all 14 games in the double-round elims with the Warriors now two wins away from becoming the first team to sweep its way to the UAAP crown since University of Santo Tomas did the trick 14 years ago without the Final Four format.

Unlike the Tigers’ romp, however, the Warriors will need to complete the feat by winning the best-of-three series.

That means UE would need to win two more over La Salle, which needed a pair of highly emotional Final Four games to bring down arch rival Ateneo, to complete the sweep, end a 22-year long title drought and rewrite history.

To date, the Warriors are tied with the Tigers with 18 titles and a victory this year would push them in a tie with the Far Eastern U Tams, the league’s most successful team with 19 crowns.

The upcoming title series will also mark the first time that the Pumaren brothers – Dindo and Franz – will clash for a crown. It is also the first between UE and La Salle since the two last met in 1990, the year the Archers nailed their first title of a back-to-back. – Joey Villar

LION
10-02-2007, 08:31 AM

Yes, UE is twice to beat.* So is DLSU.* *;D

Come on guys. Let go.* *;)

If this were a best of 5, mahirap matalo ang UE.

But since it is a best of 3, malakas ang tsansa ng DLSU. Like what people say, the Finals is DLSU territory. UE may have the advantage in manpower but in a best of 3 series where a lot of intangibles come into play, that manpower advantage can be neutralized.

For DLSU to have a good chance, it must keep the game close going into the final minutes.

UE on the other hand must have enough cushion going into the last 3 or 4 minutes of the game to withstand a DLSU onslaught.

GHRanger
10-02-2007, 12:28 PM
^ I agree LION.

DLSU needs to keep it close (or lead) to stand a chance.

At the same time, kailangan di malagay sa foul trouble ang DLSU. In the last game, 2 DLSU key players -- Rico and JVee -- fouled out in the last minutes of the game. I think the key here is ensuring fresh legs all the time, para hindi maging sloppy yung depensa ng players dahil sa pagod.

Ika nga, bilog ang bola.

Dark Knight
10-02-2007, 01:28 PM
If you will think of it, Law of Probability might come UE's way come Game 1. UE had 14 straight wins and they might taste their first defeat against La Salle. They havent played for two weeks now and their momentum came to a halt.

We'll ever know. ;D

gameface_one
10-03-2007, 06:49 AM
Pumaren brothers: We’re the same, we’re different

By Jasmine W. Payo
Inquirer
Last updated 03:59am (Mla time) 10/03/2007

MANILA, Philippines -- More than just a family feud, the 2007 UAAP Finals will be a testament to the winning system of this band of basketball brothers.

The Pumaren siblings -- Franz of De La Salle University and younger brother Dindo of University of the East -- will go to the best-of-three championship series toting similar game strategies that have revolutionized local collegiate basketball.

“If you’re going to dissect the team profile, one thing you’ll notice that ... there’s discipline,” said Franz of his Green Archers. “We [place] emphasis on defense. The players have their respective roles. There are no superstars in our team.”

“We’re always well-prepared and well-organized,” said Dindo of his Warriors. “Our defense creates our offense. The emphasis in college basketball is to have the most number of possessions. Our trademark is [giving the enemy] 40 minutes of hell.”

Franz and Dindo may try to outwit each other using familiar plays, but both plan to throw in surprises of their own.

“If you scrutinize it, there’s a difference [in style],” Franz said during the PSA Forum Tuesday at Shakey’s UN Avenue. “Looking [from] outside, you will say what we’re doing is almost the same. We have different philosophies lately. We adjust [according] to the materials that we have. There’s a variation, I guess. But what’s always the same is the aggressive pressing defense.”

On his “loaded lineup,” Dindo said: “We have a balanced team. Even our second group can start. Our players’ playing minutes are well balanced. No one plays more than 22 or 23 minutes. Unlike La Salle, their key players average about 29 to 30 minutes.”

Yet both credit their successful systems to their father Pilo and elder brother Derick, who also steered Talk ‘N Text to the PBA Finals in the last conference.

Before Franz took over in 1998, Derick mentored the Archers from 1986 to 1991, a stint highlighted by back-to-back titles in 1989 and 1990.

And three decades before Dindo steered UE back to the spotlight, Pilo called the shots for the Warriors, who bagged the UAAP championship in 1975, 1976 and 1979.

“Modesty aside, I think the program that I put up at La Salle -- whether the other schools will agree or not -- became the barometer of college basketball,” Franz said in the forum sponsored by the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. (Pagcor) and Shakey’s UN Avenue.

“The mere fact that we’re consistently in the top four every year is already a validation of the program.”

gameface_one
10-03-2007, 06:50 AM
Franz wants it short; Dindo the full route

Wednesday, October 3, 2007
Philstar.com

Given what his team had gone through the past few days, it’s understandable if La Salle coach Franz Pumaren is hoping that the coming UAAP men’s basketball finals will be a short series.

And given what his team had gone through the past few weeks, it’s also understandable if University of the East coach Dindo Pumaren could hardly care if the best-of-three title series will go the full route or not.

That the two coaching brothers couldn’t agree on the issue alone already speaks about the kind of passion they will be bringing on the court once Game 1 of Season 70’s finals gets going at the Araneta Coliseum tomorrow.

A day before La Salle and UE tangle in their first championship showdown since 1990, Dindo and Franz appeared together in the weekly PSA Forum at the Shakey’s United Nations Avenue branch and gave their thoughts about their first ever head-to-head coaching showdown.

“If you’ll ask me, of course it’s going to be a tall order so we wanted it to be a short series. It’s been a grueling season for us. In fact, this has been the longest season for me in terms of weeks of preparations because of the typhoons, playoffs and the number of games,” said Franz, the elder of the two brothers.

Back after a year of suspension from the league for unintentionally fielding two ineligible players, the Archers are back in the finals – their eighth under Pumaren and 12th in the last 14 years – after ousting bitter rival Ateneo Blue Eagles, 65-60, in a thrilling playoff Sunday before the biggest basketball crowd ever to watch at the Big Dome.

In contrast, the Warriors had been dormant for the last three weeks after clinching their first finals appearance in the last 17 years on Sept. 13 when they completed a rare, 14-game sweep of the elimination for an outright berth in the title series.

“We’ve been off for the past 20 days. But the morale of the team is still very high and we’re all excited to be in the finals. We want to take it one game at a time. Right now, all we’re thinking about is the game on Thursday. Very crucial ‘yung first few minutes nun, dahil doon talaga namin malalaman kung rusty kami,” Dindo said.

The Warriors swept the Archers in their two meetings this season – the first a 96-76 rout followed by a hard-earned 92-84 overtime win that clinched for UE a finals ticket.

Easily, Franz, also a Quezon City councilor, said that makes his Archers the clear underdog in the series.

“It’s a good thing we’re the underdogs right now. Kasi kahit sabihin nila na we’re coming from an emotional victory (against Ateneo), 14-0 is still 14-0. We didn’t beat them the last 2 games, so definitely we’re the underdogs. And I think the more we have to push ourselves and strive harder,” said the La Salle mentor.

Again, Dindo couldn’t seem to agree with his older brother.

“La Salle has the championship experience. Even their coach, si Franz proven na iyan. Definitely, ang momentum nasa kanila. I just hope na pagod na sila, especially coming from a very emotional game againstAteneo,” said the 42-year-old Dindo.

The two prominent members of the closely knit basketball family, that also includes father Filomeno Pumaren, the former multi-titled UE mentor, and brother Derick Pumaren, the two-time La Salle champion coach who is now consultant of UE, admitted not being on speaking terms since the UE-La Salle tiff-off was sealed.

“We make it a point not to talk dahil minsan may slip of the tonque e, baka masabi mo na ganito ang gagawin mo, di ba,” said Franz.” And lately, I try to make sure not to pass through my parent’s house, baka one way or the other, I might leave my playbook there, ‘yung scouting reports. Mahirap e.”

Dindo, smiling, added, “Actually, I’m planning to borrow ‘yung kotse niya kasi normally nandun ‘yung mga playbook niya. But seriously, we don’t talk about it ‘yung tungkol sa game.”

By the end of the hour-long session, Franz was bold enough to make a vow in which Dindo readily agreed 100 percent.

“I assure you, it’s gonna be a Pumaren who will win the championship,” he said.

cub
10-03-2007, 10:40 PM
meron ako 2 upper a tickets for this game. PM me if you're interested.

gameface_one
10-04-2007, 10:03 AM
Warriors eye perfect end to dream UAAP season

By Jasmine W. Payo
Inquirer
Last updated 03:44am (Mla time) 10/04/2007

Most Read Other Most Read Stories x
News
NBN deal probe in limbo?
Barrera vow: ‘The Philippines will be shocked’
Pacquiao on threat: I love surprises
Pasig lawyer charged with double murder
Razon breaks silence, says too busy for ZTE deal
NBN jokes: Broadband, husband, etc.
‘Supt. Garcia didn’t commit suicide’
De Venecia: I’m watching my back
Warriors eye perfect end to dream UAAP season
Senate to summon Inquirer reporter
NBI gives doc’s son one week to show up
Pacquiao could win by repeating himself
News Most Read RSS
Close this GAME THURSDAY (Araneta Coliseum)
3 p.m. -- UE vs La Salle (Game 1 of best-of-three Finals)

MANILA, Philippines -- University of the East tries to supply a glorious ending to what started as a dream UAAP basketball season when the Warriors shoot for the championship against the De La Salle University Green Archers starting Thursday at the Araneta Coliseum in Quezon City.

The best-of-three title playoffs gets going at 3 p.m. with the Warriors, who won the last of their 18 titles way back in 1985 behind a team led by the now retired Allan Caidic and Jerry Codiñera, the prohibitive favorites following their 14-game sweep of the eliminations.

Aside from the motivation of ending a long title drought, the Warriors are hoping to become the first team to pull off a 16-game unbeaten championship romp and tie the record 19 titles the Far Eastern University Tamaraws hold.

And the Warriors go into the championship series well-rested against the Archers, who had to go through an emotional and strength-sapping two-game encounter with their blood rivals, the Ateneo de Manila University Blue Eagles, last week to clinch the second finals slot.

It is actually the first UE-La Salle title confrontation since 1990 and there’s an equally interesting sub-plot as the Warriors will be setting out under Dindo Pumaren whose elder brother Franz is coaching the Archers.

“We had a long break, but we’ve been practicing hard,” said Dindo of his Warriors, who will be coming off a 20-day rest after clinching the first finals berth as a bonus for winning all 14 assignments in the elimination round.

“The morale of the team is still high. Even during practice, I can see that the boys’ aggressiveness and intensity are still there,” the younger Pumaren added.

University of Santo Tomas was the last team to score a 14-game sweep of the eliminations which automatically rewarded the Tigers the championship in 1993.

The tournament format was changed since then.

And the well-rested Warriors remain a concern for the wornout Archers, who actually played three extra games -- all against arch rival Ateneo -- to reach the finals.

“We’re the underdogs (in the series),” said Franz. “We went to the usual process and it wasn’t a breeze.”

The Archers fought for the twice-to-beat bonus against the Eagles in a playoff for the No. 2 spot, then disposed their rivals again in the second game of their semifinal series, 65-60, last Sunday.

“Even if we’re coming from a very emotional victory, 14-0 is still 14-0,” said Franz. “We didn’t beat them (Warriors) in the last two games.”

But Dindo noted that even if the Archers took the longer route, the finals is a familiar spot for their seasoned opponents.

“I don’t think they’re the underdogs; we are the rookies in the finals,” said Dindo. “La Salle’s players have championship experience. Franz has a proven record. They know how it’s like to be in the finals.”

Dindo also acknowledges the possibility that his older brother’s squad is capable of stopping the Warriors’ rare streak.

“Every game there’s pressure,” said Dindo. “I’ve been telling the players that 14-0 will mean nothing if we don’t win the championship.”

mighty_lion
10-04-2007, 12:05 PM
tatlong oras na lang mga kapatid!

yungha
10-04-2007, 12:53 PM
i'd want nothing more than for our bitter rivals from taft to share in our failed title bid misery, but my gut tells me the archers will win 2 close games.

Dark Knight
10-04-2007, 01:11 PM
Whoever wins, i hope they will face San Beda in a 1 game battle. ;D

Tagal pa ng CCL eh. ;D

mighty_lion
10-04-2007, 01:49 PM
1 hour and 15 minutes to go.

Red side muna ako ngayon. Aasarin ko yong officemates ko na mga Lasalista. ;D

Mang_Roger
10-04-2007, 02:40 PM
All la salle has to do is win game 1.

LION
10-04-2007, 02:48 PM
Actually, my gut feel says that there won't be a game 3. whoever wins game 1 will close the series in the 2nd game.

oca
10-04-2007, 03:05 PM
It seems the "Archer Mystique" is back.

With no bench to rely upon against a team who is numero uno in almost all statistcal dept. getting fair odds to win the series.

UE may come out flat to start this game one, but I don't think they will be flat for the whole game or for two games in the scheduled 3-game series.

UE just need to play full 40 minutes of level headed and sensible basketball, sa kanila na ito.

simba52
10-04-2007, 05:35 PM
La Salle 64 - UE 63

Final

mighty_lion
10-04-2007, 06:12 PM
1 hour and 15 minutes to go.

Red side muna ako ngayon. Aasarin ko yong officemates ko na mga Lasalista.* ;D

Pambihira naman. Ako pa tuloy ang alaskado.* *:-[

Except probably nung the first quarter, UE played flat the whole game. 63 points in 40 minutes? Hindi yan ang laro ng UE. Ang daming hesitations sa tira, pinabagal ang phasing, matagal ang bola sa sa labas, nagtatagal ang bola sa kamay ng isang tao at hindi focused ang UE sa galaw ng depensa ng DLSU. Just like what I am saying before kalawang ang isang factor na papatay sa UE dahil matagal silang nabakante.

La Salle did the most important thing to win this series which is to win Game ONE. Somehow me effect ito sa confidence ng UE especially coming into the series without finals experience.

Pero kayanin kaya ng La Salle talunin ang UE ng dalawang sunod? While I agree that this game will test the character of UE, I still think this series will extend to Game 3. Sa lakas ng UE this year, I doubt kung meron makakadalawang sunod na panalo dyan. Last year siguro oo, pero this year I still think malabo.

Anyway, after nong huling tira ng UE naalala ko tuloy yong huling tira ni Belga nung Game 3 ng SSBC-PCU last year.

Congrats DLSU!
Bawi UE!

gameface_one
10-04-2007, 07:00 PM
UPDATE) La Salle takes Game 1
abs-cbnnews.com

The De La Salle Green Archers bagged Game 1 of the UAAP championship series by pulling an upset against the formidable UE Red Warriors, 64-63, Thursday at the Araneta Coliseum.

The Warriors barely led against the Archers during the first two quarters with their use of the boards. They closed the first half at 39-37.

The Archers tightened their defense in the third and forced the Warriors to commit critical errors and close the quarter at 50-47.

La Salle continued to apply pressure during the fourth quarter with their stepped up scoring. They tied the Warriors at 58 during the last four minutes.

The Archers took the lead inside the last minute of the game at 63-60. Warrior Mark Borboran, however, scored a three-pointer to level the game with 34 seconds left.

A foul during a scramble for the boards sent Archer Rico Maierhofer to the free-throw line with 14.1 seconds remaining. He sank one of his charities to put La Salle ahead at 64-63.

Borboran’s last ditch attempt failed when his three-pointer bounced off the rim.

UE, which swept all 14 games in the double round eliminations, is bent on ending a 22-year long title drought.

The Recto-based dribblers were fighting off rust brought about by a three-week rest after waiting for the winner of the UAAP’ step ladder format.

La Salle, meanwhile, is trying out to redeem itself from the one year suspension it received over a highly-publicized player eligibility scandal by going for the UAAP crown.

Game 2 is on Sunday at 3 p.m., also at the Big Dome.

Dark Knight
10-04-2007, 11:23 PM
If you will think of it, Law of Probability might come UE's way come Game 1. UE had 14 straight wins and they might taste their first defeat against La Salle. They havent played for two weeks now and their momentum came to a halt.

We'll ever know.* ;D

It happened!! ;D

gameface_one
10-06-2007, 08:19 AM
That was not UE basketball – Dindo

By WAYLON GALVEZ
mb.com.ph

UNIVERSITY OF the East coach Dindo Pumaren is confident that the Red Warriors will level the UAAP Finals on Sunday despite a sloppy performance against the La Salle Archers Thursday.

"It was not UE basketball, I told the boys," said Pumaren after emerging from the UE locker room, an hour after the match.

For a few moments inside the locker room, Pumaren sat frozen on a chair, staring at a piece of paper – the statistics sheet.

The Warriors, showing rust after three weeks of inactivity, committed 31 turnovers against a tenacious La Salle defense.

"We committed a lot of turnovers. The boys were so tentative," said Pumaren. "Pero hindi pa rin excuse ‘yun."

Still, Pumaren saw something positive from their 64-63 defeat, their first this season.

"Ang positive na nakikita ko even though we committed 31 turnovers, but still nanalo lang sila ng one point. I’m still confident, kaya pa rin namin," Pumaren said.

After Rico Maierhofer split his foul shots with 14 seconds left in the game, the Warriors actually had two chances to steal the series opener, but Mark Borboran missed a three-pointer and Marcy Arellano’s tip-in failed to find its mark as the final buzzer sounded.

After breezing through the double-round elimination round without a defeat, the Warriors now find themselves in a hole as the Archers try to clinch their fifth title in nine years.

While pleased with their Game 1 effort, La Salle coach Franz Pumaren is not about to write off the Warriors

"We really prepared so well (for Game One). Our defense was really excellent. Though we were out-rebounded (60-31), we forced them to commit turnovers," said Pumaren, 44, a councilor in Quezon City.

The Archers, who only had 15 turnovers, scored 25 points off UE’s 31 errors.

The La Salle mentor said they succeeded to pressure the UE guards, making special mention to his backcourt, TY Tang, Cholo Villanueva, and JV Casio.

Tang orchestrated the Archers’ offense with aplomb while scoring 17 points on top of four rebounds and two assists. Casio added 12 and six rebounds, while Villanueva had 11 with five rebounds, three assists and five steals.

"It was really my veteran guards. They’re experienced players. They showed a lot of character playing in the finals," said Pumaren who nevertheless warned the Warriors are capable of bouncing back.

"It’s jus a one win, we still have to be wary of them. We know for a fact that they can beat us two straight," he said.

Pumaren said it would be a mistake to underestimate UE.

"I don’t think they’re a pushover team if you’ll again look at their record during the elimination, 14-0, that’s a clear indication they’re a strong team," he said.

"I don’t believe in momentum, especially in a championship series. Momentum could work both ways. UE will be coming out firing come next game. They’ll use it as a rallying point."

LION
10-08-2007, 08:17 AM
Actually, my gut feel says that there won't be a game 3.* whoever wins game 1 will close the series in the 2nd game.* *

;D ;D ;D

mighty_lion
10-08-2007, 08:25 AM
Actually, my gut feel says that there won't be a game 3.* whoever wins game 1 will close the series in the 2nd game.* *

;D* * ;D* * *;D*

Me mala-madam auring powers ka pala sir LION. :)

patupup
10-08-2007, 08:50 AM
just curious, meron bang post game interview ke Dindo Pumaren? para kasing ala akong nababasang comments from Dindo sa mga newspapers e :)

gameface_one
10-09-2007, 07:34 AM
Vindication for Archers, pain for Warriors

By Jasmine W. Payo
Inquirer
Last updated 03:31am (Mla time) 10/09/2007

The UAAP basketball season brought vindication for Franz Pumaren’s De La Salle University Green Archers and heartaches for younger brother Dindo’s University of the East Warriors.

Rebounding from a scandal with a championship, the Archers proved yet again that they’re tough when it really mattered.

“Experience was glaringly in our favor; my players are veterans of many wars,” Franz beamed after his Archers completed an upset sweep of the top-ranked Warriors to capture their seventh crown Sunday at the Big Dome.

The Warriors almost had it all -- overwhelming talent, sound program and a perfect 14-0 record in the eliminations. But the Warriors couldn’t finish what they started.

“We’re disappointed of course,” said Dindo. “But this is just another learning experience for us. The Finals is different -- the atmosphere, the pressure. We had a 20-day break (after clinching an outright Finals spot) and I think it affected our fluidity. For La Salle, Ateneo (de Manila University) pushed it to be at its best (during the semifinals).”

And the Archers did gain momentum at the right time after an unimpressive start that included a blowout loss to the Warriors and back-to-back setbacks to the Ateneo Eagles.

“It was a roller-coaster season for us,” said Franz of his Archers, who rose from a one-year suspension resulting from a harrowing eligibility scandal.

JV Casio, Cholo Villanueva and TY Tang -- who all played in the Archers’ previous title campaigns -- primarily keyed the Archers’ successful run.

“It was the first time for the UE Warriors and they looked so tight; we capitalized on that,” said Franz.

For Dindo, the Finals only showed his Warriors need more polishing.

“We’re putting things in perspective,” he said. “We were frustrated but when we went out (of the coliseum), so many people still cheered for us. We realized that reaching the Finals is still something we should be thankful for. It’s an improvement from last year. We had the talent, but in terms of experience, we’re just not there yet.”

And like any older brother, Franz had comforting words for Dindo.

“I think they will mature quickly and they can use this series as an experience for them next year.”