PDA

View Full Version : Stepladder Series Game 3: Ateneo vs. La Salle KO Match

Jump_Shooter
09-28-2007, 03:26 PM
This is it. The winner earns the right to face UE in the finals. The loser will be left wondering what could have been. Who will emerge victorious this Sunday? Does Ateneo now have the momentum? Can La Salle put the last game behind them quickly?

mighty_lion
09-28-2007, 07:58 PM
Pag ang score dikit na naman sa last two minutes (for God's sake! awa nyo sa mga), ito lang ang kailangan ng bawat isa:

DLSU - Poise/Composure
ADMU - Agitation and Execution

gameface_one
09-29-2007, 01:47 PM
Fallen Archers to rise and pull thru – Pumaren

By JOEY VILLAR
The Philippine Star

Despite dropping what had appeared to be a won game, La Salle remains confident of its chances against arch rival Ateneo as it looks forward to facing University of the East in the final of the 70th UAAP men’s basketball championship.

“If you notice, it took us just a few minutes in the dugout to talk things out after the game. It showed we’re still confident of our chances of advancing to the finals,” La Salle coach Franz Pumaren on Friday told The STAR.

The Archers, who nipped the Eagles, 70-69, last week to clinch the No. 2 spot in the Final Four and the twice-to-beat advantage, blew a six-point lead in the closing minutes and dropped a 64-65 decision to the Eagles last Thursday.

That gave Ateneo a new lease on life and a clear shot at a second final appearance, thanks to Chris Tiu, who scored five of the Eagles last seven points while helping hold the Archers scoreless down the stretch.

That also ensured a fifth Ateneo-La Salle game this season although Sunday’s do-or-die clash, set at 3 p.m. at the Araneta Coliseum, is expected to surpass the previous four meetings in terms of suspense, excitement and intensity.

“It’s going to be another exciting game, I’m sure of it,” said Pumaren, who never lost in a series when La Salle has the twice-to-beat advantage in the Final Four since taking over the coaching reins a decade ago.

But momentum could be on the Ateneo side with coach Norman Black vowing to correct some mistakes while hoping La Salle would come in with little energy left in its tanks.

“We had a lot of mistakes in our last game, I must watch the tape and see what we can do,” said Black, who owns 10 titles in 17 seasons as coach in the PBA.

“La Salle came out with a lot of energy and gave us a lot of problems, I hope they had little left on Sunday,” Black added.

The Sunday blockbuster marks the first time the Eagles and the Archers are meeting five times in a season since playing the same number of games five years ago when the former toppled the latter in a three-game finale for the crown.

The only other time the two met five times was in 2001, the year the Taft-based school reigned supreme.

The winner will advance to the best-of-three final against the well-rested UE Warriors, who swept the elimination round with 14 wins.

tigerman
09-29-2007, 03:12 PM
In my humble opinion, there are two things that should worry Coach Franz right now:
1. Ateneo committed a lot of turnovers last Thursday (majority of which came from DLSU's vaunted press) and yet the latter still came out as the winner.
2. Inability of this year's team to deliver during crunchtime - Eversince the QC councilor got the head coaching job in 1998, I've noticed the transformation of the Taft-based cagers from mere chokers (I based this on their 4 straight runner-up finishes from 94-97) to being 4-peat champs (capable of delivering the goods especially during the clutch). However, this season we've seen the breakdown of his team to pressure (most notably the 2nd round vs. UST and last Thursday vs. ADMU).

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Howard the Duck
09-29-2007, 04:48 PM
The only for LS to win is if they lead by 20+ at the last 2 minutes ;D

urzafailure
09-30-2007, 07:34 AM
No idea if you guys have seen this yet:

http://bleachersbrew.blogspot.com/2007/09/breaking-news.html

"De La Salle forward Rico Maierhofer reportedly has a stress fracture in his foot. But it is said that he will be playing tomorrow but with limited movement."

nel
09-30-2007, 10:36 PM

Think again. The margin never went beyond 10 pts in the entire game.

GreenArrows
10-01-2007, 03:42 PM
In my humble opinion, there are two things that should worry Coach Franz right now:
1. Ateneo committed a lot of turnovers last Thursday (majority of which came from DLSU's vaunted press) and yet the latter still came out as the winner.
2. Inability of this year's team to deliver during crunchtime - Eversince the QC councilor got the head coaching job in 1998, I've noticed the transformation of the Taft-based cagers from mere chokers (I based this on their 4 straight runner-up finishes from 94-97) to being 4-peat champs (capable of delivering the goods especially during the clutch). However, this season we've seen the breakdown of his team to pressure (most notably the 2nd round vs. UST and last Thursday vs. ADMU).

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

And who has Franz Pumaren brought to the FINALS in 8 or the past 10 seasons? I mean, inspite of yearly loss of players and not exactly the best in recruitment, just how could Coach Franz continue to do this? Breakdown to pressure? In the regular games or in the games that matter? Just asking my friend.

Howard the Duck
10-01-2007, 11:18 PM

Think again. The margin never went beyond 10 pts in the entire game.

Well the lead was pretty much insurmountable by the last 2 minutes... Ateneo isn't that well known in rallying from behind if the deficit is more than 3 possessions :P

john_paul_manahan
10-01-2007, 11:48 PM
they managed to put that lead to 11 in the 4th.

however, we managed to cut that into 2 in the final minute.