PDA

View Full Version : 2008 dlsu basketball team

Pages : [1] 2

rbin888
09-19-2007, 03:53 PM
guys,im an alumnus...im constantly following dlsu basketball particularly in the uaap,im quite impressed with the way the guys have been playing, considering that the big men of lasalle,with the exception of rico maheirhofer have been unimpressive...hopefully we can still go all the way...

but looking forward, is there any of you on how the composition of our team be like next year? i mean, aside from batricevic, is there any other prospects who most likely will for us... are there still players being hidden by franz that can really bolster our team next year...

im probably excited, but i just happen to have an officemate who is a hardcore fan of ateneo, and i think based on the infos that he's getting, they still have guys who will be in next years lineup and maintain their competitiveness next year...

aside from cholo villanueva and ty tang, who else is on their last year...

aside from from rico and batrecivic, are their any incoming big men coming, because honestly, kasi feeling ko si kish co and ferdinand is not talented enough to be of big help in our team in the future...

animo la salle...

davrub2003
09-20-2007, 07:30 AM
ilad will not be playing anymore and i heard casio may go pro.
but the likes of atkins, ferdinand, malabes may step up to fill in the shoes of those who left.
these guys have talent. ferdinand is good. he just coulldn't get into the groove yet probably because there are others who are put in to play his role.
and we hope batricevic can play na next year.

Angas
09-20-2007, 11:54 AM
kelan po ang try out for 2008?? ???

Angas
09-20-2007, 11:59 AM
kilala ko po si kish co.. high school pa lang siya prospect na agad yun because his very tall at his age and champion team lagi. pero noon pa man ay napapansin ko na ang foot work nya. mabagal talaga. parang mukhang laging matatapilok. :)
maraming filipino-chinese players from tiong lian basketball ang gustong mag try out sa DLSU team this coming 2008.
hindi lang nila alam kung anong petsa sila mag try out. ???kelan po ba?

rbin888
09-20-2007, 04:12 PM
not quite sure,on when will the tryouts be,right now,i dont think may sched na for that kasi season 70 is still ongoing,pro if in case i hear something il definitely post it, for your info...

pro im sure,anytime, any player can approach or probably proceed to the school athletics dept, kung pano and when ang tryouts... kasi i dont think every summer lang yan, i think everytime na may prospect,ineevaluate nila kagad...

its good to hear na marami from tiong liang league ang gusto lumaro sa lasalle,kasi madami din magaling dun...justin chua is one,i heard... sana lasalle cya maglaro...

nel
09-20-2007, 07:48 PM
Next year is a looooong way from now. Let's just focus on the 2007 edition of the Green Archers. They're still in contention for this year's title. Next year will work itself out.

Fried Green Tomato
09-21-2007, 12:55 AM
So-called recruits from now till next year's enrollment time are all speculations.

Usually there is the wish list but majority of those in the wish list are highly touted and known recruits that we have seen and other scouts have seen also.

It has been our practice not to divulge our potential recruits... not until we're very sure. But 2007 has been a lean year for us, we recruited nobody.

kingky
09-21-2007, 10:57 PM
yup! madaming talented players from tiong lian ang gustong mag try out..
so, pupunta na lang ba sila sa dlsu?

GHRanger
09-25-2007, 10:15 AM
I would recommend that the prospective student-athletes would meet up with our Office of Sports Development (OSD) and inquire about the tryouts. Do this after the UAAP para di masyadong hectic yung sched. I think there are a couple of rounds of tryouts from "by invites only' and open tryouts for the whole student population.

Good Luck to your buddies.

olracybab
09-29-2007, 08:22 PM
will ryan buenafe join dlsu? ... wat about si acibar ng adamson juniors ... san mapunta un? .... magaling ung batang un ...

la ba bago recruit/s dlsu? ...

nel
09-30-2007, 10:22 PM
Nobody's looking at recruits now. We have the finals to prepare for before even thinking of next season. First things first.

shyboy
09-30-2007, 11:53 PM
will ryan buenafe join dlsu? ... wat about si acibar ng adamson juniors ... san mapunta un? .... magaling ung batang un ...

Heard news that Ateneo announced this evening Ryan Buenafe as their recruit for next year. Ewan ko lang kung nag-entrance exam pa yan sa kanila.

Basta La Salle will always be competitive even if we don't get the best talent available.

bigfreeze_bibby
10-01-2007, 07:41 AM
Acibar is now with UE.

Fried Green Tomato
10-01-2007, 03:42 PM

Heard news that Ateneo announced this evening Ryan Buenafe as their recruit for next year.* Ewan ko lang kung nag-entrance exam pa yan sa kanila.

Basta La Salle will always be competitive even if we don't get the best talent available.

There is always the President's prerogative in Ateneo. A player can take the acet even when he's already studying.

La Salle will always be competitive given that we have the right materials for our system. The "system" could only do so much and It's always give & take thing.

We are looking at some good prospects but it's still too early to discuss it now.

shyboy
10-02-2007, 07:12 AM
Joshua Webb. He's definitely way better, in more ways than one, than recent blue recruits and the future look of Ateneo Basketball Kokey Salamat, Nonoy BacUlao, Sumalinog and Ryan Buenafe.

bigfreeze_bibby
10-02-2007, 01:33 PM
shyboy, let's tone down a little bit since we're "offshore". Regarding recruits we have to get good players as well since as what FGT posted, the system can only do so much for us. Kung kulang sa materyales ang team, kahit anong ganda ng system bibigay at bibigay din yan.

I am confident with what the team management is doing as of the moment regarding possible recruits for next season. Alam naman nila kung ano ang kulang and kung ano yung dapat i-address for next year's team.

shyboy
10-03-2007, 08:23 AM
shyboy, let's tone down a little bit since we're "offshore".*
Ok, paminsan-minsan lang naman ako bumanat dito eh.* Tutal "bahay" naman din natin itong GAR. ;D

batangueño
10-03-2007, 01:00 PM
Masyado pang maaga para pag-usapan ito. Besides, there is always something good in being silent, hindi tulad ng iba dyan. Right, folks? ;D

gameface_one
10-09-2007, 06:46 AM
Archers ready to rebuild for back-to-back bid
By Joey Villar
Tuesday, October 9, 2007
Philstar.com

With a talent-laden pool to choose from, newly-crowned UAAP champion La Salle remains confident of putting up a championship caliber squad when it goes for back-to-back next year sans two of its top players.

Cholo Villanueva and TY Tang, two of the vital cogs in the Archers’ stirring sweep of the University of the East Warriors in the finals Sunday, will not be around next year after playing out their final year of eligibility.

“TY and Cholo are one of the main reasons why we’re UAAP champions right now, losing them would be a big blow to us,” said La Salle coach Franz Pumaren after La Salle copped its seventh title overall.

“But we’ve been in this kind of situation before. This is college basketball, your players come and go. We just have to start somewhere,” he added.

Villanueva and Tang played a crucial role the whole season, leading a team that reeled from a season-long suspension and over a rival that looked invincible in the elims.

The two shone the most in the finals with Tang firing 17 points in a pulsating Game 1 victory, 64-63, while Villanueva did almost everything – from taking and making the clutch shots, rebounding and even defending.

The 24-year-old Villanueva, whose future work involves working with special children, in fact, was named co-Finals MVP along with another clutch player in the sweet-shooting JV Casio.

Actually, La Salle is losing a third player in Brian Ilad, whose last playing days with the Archers were spent under suspension after punching another graduating player Mark Fampulme of UE.

But despite Villanueva and Tang’s departure, Pumaren said some high school players would want to fill in the void.

That includes David Webb, the grandson of former senator and basketball great Freddie Webb who led La Salle-Zobel to another surprise title conquest over rival 2006 titlist Ateneo in the high school division.

“His style suits the team pretty well, he’ll be a great addition to the team,” said Pumaren of the 2007 UAAP juniors Finals MVP.

Pumaren also expects some members from La Salle-Zobel to join the squad next season.

“I expect the Zobel boys to try out, I’m waiting for them,” he said.

La Salle is also bent on luring high school phenom Ryan Buenafe into its fold ahead of competitors like San Beda and Ateneo.

Buenafe powered the San Sebastian Staglets to a three-peat feat in the NCAA while copping the season and Finals MVP plums in the process, making him the most sought-after high school player in the country today.

“Of course we want him to play for us but in the end, it would really be up to the players if they want to play for La Salle, the decision is on them,” said Pumaren

Leeanna20
10-09-2007, 06:33 PM
when is the open try out??

eaglekiller
10-15-2007, 06:33 PM
gs2 ko na mag try out. heheh.

Angas
10-24-2007, 07:44 AM
ang pagkaka alam ko.. you have to pass the entrance examination daw muna before you try out. ;D

oca
02-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Nababalita na ang former LSGH turned Red Cub LA Revilla will don the green and white again in college.

With Atkins as the remaining PG from last year's line-up, the addition of LA doesn't make the Archer PG rotation less vulnerable. For all the basketball IQ of LA, he is short and still lean for the college game. DLSU can work on his body mass just as they did with TYTang. But even that didn't happen overnight.

JV Casio should be expected to do more minutes at PG. If he can be effective over long minutes, then it should solve Franz's problems. If not, maraming heartbreaking games ang mararanasan ng mga taga-Taft.

But with how DLSU has conducted it's recruitment these recent years, who knows whom else they have added to that pg rotation. Besides, Franz is still the best collegiate coach in the country. He will adapt and he will improvise as needed.

But when you play 14 games, all your weakness will be exposed before the F4 comes. Come playoff, an Atkins/ Revilla pg rotation will not scare anyone.

Nike Air
02-24-2008, 11:25 PM
Revilla's decision making in the PG spot will surely help the Archers for season 71. Mautak na PG at alam talaga kung pano laruin ang pwesto niya. He needs to add a little bit of offensive arsenal para panakot na rin sa babantay sa kanya. Medyo di naman maganda kung mas madalas e papasa siya than to shoot the basketball. Pero wala akong masabi sa tempo dictating ng batang ito. Marunong mag-control ng laro. Alam kung kelan tatakbo at kung kelan dapat mag-set ng half court play. Mabilis din sa arangkadahan which is very good in the fastbreak game of DLSU. Pero ang bali-balita e pinagtatalunan pa rin ata ang PG spot between Revilla and Fortuna.

LightningMan
02-25-2008, 09:57 AM
out of curiosity, why did LA Revilla leave LSGH for San Beda?

02-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Nababalita na ang former LSGH turned Red Cub LA Revilla will don the green and white again in college.

With Atkins as the remaining PG from last year's line-up, the addition of LA doesn't make the Archer PG rotation less vulnerable. For all the basketball IQ of LA, he is short and still lean for the college game. DLSU can work on his body mass just as they did with TYTang. But even that didn't happen overnight.

JV Casio should be expected to do more minutes at PG. If he can be effective over long minutes, then it should solve Franz's problems. If not, maraming heartbreaking games ang mararanasan ng mga taga-Taft.

But with how DLSU has conducted it's recruitment these recent years, who knows whom else they have added to that pg rotation. Besides, Franz is still the best collegiate coach in the country. He will adapt and he will improvise as needed.

But when you play 14 games, all your weakness will be exposed before the F4 comes. Come playoff, an Atkins/ Revilla pg rotation will not scare anyone.

^^ you're right, but if it'll be JVee Casio finishing the game, then an Atkins/Revilla/Casio triumvirate isn't going to be a pushover.....

GHRanger
02-25-2008, 10:52 AM
I think JVee will be playing extended minutes in (1) this coming year, but will probably finish as a (2) and play the assassin's role.*

What I actually look forward to in the next 2-3 years is that unlike the previous years where DLSU lived and died at 1-2, the coming years will actually have a lot of other offensive/defensive threats coming from Bader, PJ Barua, Fedinand, Rico, James, Marko and some prospective recruits.

boyscout
02-25-2008, 11:03 AM
Is LA revilla already a sure thing for DLSU? *How about Jeric Fortuna? From what I know he's also practicing with the DLSu team.....

coreytaylor
02-25-2008, 02:35 PM
I think JVee will be playing extended minutes in (1) this coming year, but will probably finish as a (2) and play the assassin's role.*

What I actually look forward to in the next 2-3 years is that unlike the previous years where DLSU lived and died at 1-2, the coming years will actually have a lot of other offensive/defensive threats coming from Bader, PJ Barua, Fedinand, Rico, James, Marko and some prospective recruits.

^isnt rico graduating after S71?

GHRanger
02-25-2008, 02:48 PM
5 years eligibility would mean season 72 ang last year ni Rico, unless he decides to forego his last year of eligibility.

He redshirted for 1 year (2003), Played (2003-2005) and the team didn't play at season 69 (2006), played (2007). So following the 7 years out of HS rule and 5 year eligibility, that would mean he still has 71,72.
As far as age is concerned, at most he'll be 24 when he plays his last year.

Nike Air
02-25-2008, 07:56 PM
Rico Maierhoffer is still eligible until season 72 unless he jumps over to the PBA where I think he is already ripe to play after season 71. It's actually all up to him at this point. The PG race for DLSU I guess is between Revilla and Fortuna right now. I don't see Tumlos, Liwag, or Guiao making a fight in that position battle especially with what DLSU observers had seen on Tumlos in the FMC Open games.

glock23
02-26-2008, 10:14 PM
revilla and fortuna are both very good point guards, but in the long run the kid with natural point guard skills will be better under the system of coach franz and between the two, LA is the pure point guard. so in my opinion, its advantage LA ;)

toti_mendiola
02-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Konting buhat lang ng mga mabibgat okay na yan si LA. Pang giyera ang karakas niyang batang yan eh. Ready for battle.

boy2hog
02-26-2008, 11:24 PM
revilla and fortuna are both very good point guards, but in the long run the kid with natural point guard skills will be better under the system of coach franz and between the two, LA is the pure point guard. so in my opinion, its advantage LA ;)

Fortuna na yan ; hopefully.hehe. Iba kasi yung advantage ng isang "pure point guard" na subok na sa end game at nag pa champion pa ng isang team ;)

madskillz
02-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Hindi naman masyadong ginamit ang mga baguhan or rookies sa FMC, That's why I don't think it's fair for the rest to judge how the rookies played. Had they been given playing time, maybe they could have shown their worth.
I'm not very impressed with both LA or Fortuna. Give them another year to bulk up and let them get used to the system of Coah Franz. Make them train a year or so first, by then they might just be ready to join the team. These boys are fresh from high-school, i would give them another year...Ibang-iba ang High school games sa college.

kuzma1313
02-27-2008, 12:54 PM
animo!

any new players for the dlsu basketball seniors team.
thanks..

glock23
02-27-2008, 01:45 PM

Fortuna na yan ; hopefully.hehe. Iba kasi yung advantage ng isang "pure point guard" na subok na sa end game at nag pa champion pa ng isang team ;)

jeric is more comfortable playing the 2 which was his natural position. LA is the epitome of a pass first point guard and can really dictate the tempo of a game. He should fit the mold of a pumaren type PG to the max!

Dont get me wrong, i like fortuna too especially since he is homegrown but we are talking about PG skills here and LA is by far the superior one! ika nga ni toti_mendiola eh konting buhat lang laban na yan si revilla.

boyscout
02-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Just an observation...had we had a pure point guard since franz took over? I think the last pure point guard La Salle had was Dino Aldeguer. Cortez, Tang, Casio and sometimes Villanueva are what I might call scoring pt guards. Most of them led La Salle in terms of points per game. In other games, franz would even let Cardona and Yeo to play point. IMO, Jeric Fortuna would fit the system more since he is a point guard who can score, assist and hit the three with high accuracy.

LA Revilla is a good ball handler but given the system we have now, he might have to work on his outside shooting to crack a spot at the line-up.

My devalued two centavos worth.

oca
02-27-2008, 05:10 PM
Just an observation...had we had a pure point guard since franz took over? I think the last pure point guard La Salle had was Dino Aldeguer.* Cortez, t@ng, Casio and sometimes Villanueva are what I might call scoring pt guards. Most of them led La Salle in terms of points per game.* *In other games, franz would even let Cardona and Yeo* to play point. IMO, Jeric Fortuna would fit the system more since he is a point guard who can score, assist and hit the three with high accuracy.*

LA Revilla is a good ball handler but given the system we have now, he might have to work on his outside shooting to crack a spot at the line-up.

My devalued two centavos worth.

That, imo, is the genesis of Franz's press.

If you don't have the ideal PG, you cannot allow your team to play a half-court game for the greater part of that 40 minutes. You have to use the whole length of the court for your offense, and that would start with forced turnovers and transition offense.

Any team can do a half court set in short stretches of the ball game even with an average PG, but if you are forced to do the same for most part of the ball game with that same PG, you are doomed.

glock23
02-27-2008, 05:43 PM
We'll just have to wait for coach franz to announce his line-up for s71. There could be another one or two being eyed to back up simon at point. ;) but, im pretty sure revilla has the advantage over the others as of the moment...at point! jeric could be used as a 2.

Scout
02-27-2008, 06:26 PM
Wow a very small back court..... Revilla and Fortuna together ???

kuzma1313
02-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Can i know the height of Fortuna and Revilla?
Who are also the prospect for the team for 2008 DLSU/
Thanks alot..

irateluvmachine
02-27-2008, 08:59 PM
^pareho ata silang 5'6...now that IS a small backcourt!

madskillz
02-28-2008, 09:14 AM
Parehong maliit at payat. Dapat siguro patabain at palakihin muna sila. It takes a while din for boys to bulk up. They have to be prepared physically, since basketball is a VERY physical game.

coreytaylor
02-28-2008, 04:07 PM
5 years eligibility would mean season 72 ang last year ni Rico, unless he decides to forego his last year of eligibility.*

He redshirted for 1 year (2003), Played (2003-2005) and the team didn't play at season 69 (2006), played (2007).* So following the 7 years out of HS rule and 5 year eligibility, that would mean he still has 71,72.
As far as age is concerned, at most he'll be 24 when he plays his last year.*

thanks for the info

boy2hog
02-29-2008, 11:16 AM

jeric is more comfortable playing the 2 which was his natural position. LA is the epitome of a pass first point guard and can really dictate the tempo of a game. He should fit the mold of a pumaren type PG to the max!

Dont get me wrong, i like fortuna too especially since he is homegrown but we are talking about PG skills here and LA is by far the superior one! ika nga ni toti_mendiola eh konting buhat lang laban na yan si revilla.

Oh well kanya kanyang opinion lang yan mga brah. ;) I think jeric played PG from the start. When he palyed gs bball he was already a pure PG . Bonus lang that when he played hs basketball na develop nya yung offensive skills nya(ex.outside shooting). I guess kaya lang pina pa 2 cya sometimes in hs because naka zone ang defense and malas ang outside shooting ng teammates nya. May "shooting" kasi yung bata. Which is very important if a pg wants to make it to the next level. Iba kasi yung may outside threat ang pg, hindi siya basta pwede iwanan ng defense niya para makapag sag or double team (look what happened to japs cuan) ;D. As a matter of fact, wala pa kung nakitang pg na umasenso d2 sa pinas na walang outside shooting. I hope I'm wrong. ;) Good luck nalang to LA and Jeric!

glock23
02-29-2008, 09:00 PM
not to worry people. we will know very soon! ;) Our line up for S71 will look very good but S72 will be impressive! the future looks very bright!

ANIMO LASALLE!!!

Angas
03-03-2008, 12:15 AM
kelan po open try outs? para dun sa mga gstong mag walk in po? ???

bigfreeze_bibby
03-03-2008, 04:26 PM
kelan po open try outs? para dun sa mga gstong mag walk in po? ???

There was an open tryout last February 23 at the Razon Sports Complex but I don't think if there will be another set in the near future.

marmand
04-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Can LA Revilla be as good as LA Tenorio?

The_Big_Cat
04-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Can LA Revilla be as good as LA Tenorio?

They have the same first name. But Tenorio is the better outside shooter among the two but i think Revilla is a better half court, deliberate point guard similar to Mike Cortez. Revilla is not a run and gun point guard like Tenorio but he gets the job done.

Good for DLSU. Wala na talagang ibang magandang pupuntahan siya kungdi sa taft. Magaling pumasa yung bata na yan especially sa pick and roll.

marmand
04-10-2008, 11:45 AM
Any Archer fans care to share how your team is doing in their tune up games? ( If they have? )

glock23
04-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Any Archer fans care to share how your team is doing in their tune up games? ( If they have? )

dlsu will play jru this sunday at the ultra for the fil-oil flying V tournament. Watch the games and judge for yourself. :)

dy1jaw
04-10-2008, 01:19 PM
televised po ba?
thanks

marmand
04-10-2008, 05:43 PM
televised po ba?
thanks

BTV will show the games but I dont know if they will show it live. I have not seen any TV Schedule yet from BTV.

batangueño
04-10-2008, 09:57 PM
LA Revilla is definitely a welcome addition to the Archers. What the team needs are players who do the job well and not merely being heavily recruited due to their "star quality." ;)

marmand
04-11-2008, 01:20 PM
LA Revilla is definitely a welcome addition to the Archers. What the team needs are players who do the job well and not merely being heavily recruited due to their "star quality." ;)

You think he will back up Atkins at the point position? Who do you think plays "better" he or the player from Zobel. ( Fortuna )

mighty_lion
04-11-2008, 08:57 PM
I read in Pex that JM Noble of Letran Squires joined the Archers. Can someone confirm?

marmand
04-11-2008, 09:11 PM
^ Monteclaro also is reportedly missing from the UST practices. Can He also be on his way to Taft? ;D

glock23
04-11-2008, 09:42 PM
I read in Pex that JM Noble of Letran Squires joined the Archers. Can someone confirm?

confirmed! :)

batangueño
04-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Matagal ko nang hinahanap yang si JM Noble, yun pala ay papunta na siya sa Taft. Sana hindi siya matulad kay OJ Cua. ;)

mighty_lion
04-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Like what I posted in Pex I see him as a clone of Aljamal. Undersize skilled PF with scorers mentality who can shoot from the outside and bang all-out inside. Height deficiency is obvious but I but his timing and coordination will offset that. Im interested to see on how DLSU will transform his game to a legit 3 guy.

marmand
04-11-2008, 10:49 PM
Base on the report in PeX, Archers have 5 rookies. ( Baka 6 pa daw ) With the exception of Villanueva due to residency if he falls under this ruling, 4 spots will be taken by the rookies. The Archers are losing 4 players for various reason so are there any spots left for the Zobel boys? Noble will have to compete with Webb, Mangahas and Cua for the SF position.

BLUE HORSE
04-11-2008, 10:56 PM
There is still one more player that has not been identified. *Another guy standing at least 6' 2". *They are waiting for his papers to be completed but they hope to play in the summer league. *I expect the guy to be a 2 /3 in college with Noble being a 3/4.

There will be 6 new players being considered excluding the Youth team players by the coaching staff for the 4 open slots. *The new players being considered are Bagatsing, Webb, Revilla, Villanueva, and now Noble. *On Villanueva, DLSU seems confident that he can play this coming season despite his stint in Japan. *Let's wait and see.

DLSU has filled their needs for the coming year. *Villanueva takes the place of Ilad, Revilla for Tang, Noble for Co, and Webb for Villanueva but this does not necessarily mean the final line-up. *Bagatsing for one has paid his dues while completing his residency so he is probably a shoo-in.

The other Zobel boys are either out of the running or in the case of Manguera and Banal and Golla, on layaway for season 72.

marmand
04-11-2008, 11:07 PM
As I see it,the line up of the Archers would be something like:

Walsham, Ferdinand, Betricevic
Rico M.
Mangahas, Cua, Webb, Noble
Casio, Malabes, Bagatsing, Lee, Barua
Atkins, Revilla

Am I missing anyone? Thats 15 players.

glock23
04-12-2008, 12:10 AM

You think he will back up Atkins at the point position? Who do you think plays "better" he or the player from Zobel. ( Fortuna )

La should be the back-up to simon at point. IMO Revilla is way better than fortuna and in the long run will be one of the better PGs in the league under the tutelege of franz pumaren. :)

blueatheart
04-12-2008, 01:02 AM
isn't bagatsing a PG too?

joelex
04-12-2008, 01:05 AM
what school did bagatsing come from since he served residency i assumed he played college ball already?

BLUE HORSE
04-12-2008, 02:52 AM
He is considered a Fil-Am. He previously played for SBC but went to the States for a couple of years before coming home for college.

blueatheart
04-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Horse, what position does he play?

glock23
04-12-2008, 10:53 AM
isn't bagatsing a PG too?

He's a guard who can play both 1 and 2 with ease! With his offense though he might be used primarily as a shooting guard.

marmand
04-12-2008, 11:05 AM
^ DLSU may be crowded in the shooting guard position. Look for Franz to utilize Bagatsing at point especially if their opponent has a small point guard. ex. Jai ;D

Joescoundrel
04-12-2008, 11:38 AM
I am a little amazed that Letran let John Noble go considering he is best friends with Coach Louie Alas's two boys and Coach Louie told me during one PBL game day that they would elevate Noble to the Knights lineup for NCAA Season 84.

In any event Noble is a smart pickup for Lasalle considering his versatility as a frontcourt player. Hopefully het gets a chance to strut his stuff. He could, with the right kind of individual coaching, be as productive as UP's Woody Co.

JVC
04-13-2008, 02:51 AM
^
^
^

Until the start of the first trimester, he can still change his mind.

shyboy
04-13-2008, 08:53 AM
As I see it,the line up of the Archers would be something like:

* Walsham, Ferdinand, Betricevic
* Rico M.
* Mangahas, Cua, Webb, Noble
* Casio, Malabes, Bagatsing, Lee, Barua
* Atkins, Revilla

Am I missing anyone?* Thats 15 players.
Add Maui Villanueva to the list if he gets the GREEN light to play in Season 71. There are also a few other unnamed recruits. No one is assured of a slot yet. But to those who won't make it, no worries as many will be leaving next year and the year after. DLSU might be the youngest, but not necessarily the weakest, team come Season 72. ;D

marmand
04-13-2008, 09:55 AM
How many are leaving next year? Casio, Walsham, Cua ? With the influx of the RP youth ;D, will they have enough roster spots?

flsfnoeraekadad
04-13-2008, 10:22 AM
Casio
Walsham
Cua

That's it.

TruVerde
04-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Maierhoffer, still eligible for Season 72, may opt to apply for the PBA draft, after Season 71.

shyboy
04-13-2008, 11:20 AM
Casio
Walsham
Cua

That's it.

Actually, only Casio and Cua will use up their 5 year eligibility after Season 71. *

Walsham and Maierhofer are also Batch 2003. *If I remember it right, Walsham skipped 2004 when he took a leave and went to Australia. *Thus, he's still eligible up to Season 72. Maierhofer was varsity only from 2004 onwards. *So he too is eligible for one more year. *From what I heard, both are graduating this coming school year. *If both do well in Season 71, it is a possibility they might skip their final year and apply for the PBA draft.

flsfnoeraekadad
04-13-2008, 05:32 PM
Amazing. We have a strong core for this season and a pretty strong core for Season 72.

marmand
04-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Betricevic, Malabes and Ferdinand are not playing? ( Delayed telecast ) Strategy or Injuries?

erichubert
04-13-2008, 10:07 PM
Impressive game by the Green Archers, the rookies are really good specially Revilla. Quite impressed with Noble too, kind of like Gaco, undersized but very good down low.

nel
04-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Betricevic, Malabes and Ferdinand are not playing? ( Delayed telecast ) Strategy or Injuries?

Injuries. They were watching the game from behind the Archer bench.

Sam Miguel
04-14-2008, 12:38 AM
DLSU will successfully defend their UAAP crown, take that to the PNB of your choice. Every one speaks of Ateneo's recruiting class and how they will contribute to the return to glory of Ateneo.

Maybe DLSU got the real cream of this year's recruiting class.

nash_bedista
04-14-2008, 12:50 AM
as long as franz and the system... ;D

LightningMan
04-14-2008, 07:34 AM
DLSU will successfully defend their UAAP crown, take that to the PNB of your choice. Every one speaks of Ateneo's recruiting class and how they will contribute to the return to glory of Ateneo.

We shall find out when the season opens in July. It's hard to make predictions at this time. Aside from ADMU, the other teams that worries me are FEU, UST and UE. The Archers have to also prepare for them.

shyboy
04-14-2008, 07:56 AM
Wag naman.* Wala munang ganyang predictions.* It's one game at a time for DLSU and the rest of the UAAP teams.* TY and Cholo were valuable components in last year's title run.* We're not yet sure if those left behind are ready to take over their spots while the rookies accustom themselves to Seniors play.

erichubert
04-14-2008, 09:55 AM
Based on what we saw in the JRU game, DLSU is definitely one of the favorites, if not the favorite in the UAAP. Say what you what about Franz, but the guy sure knows how to recruit, the players really fit his system well specially Revilla. I am predicting that Revilla will win the ROY if he gets the minutes he got yesterday.

marmand
04-14-2008, 10:07 AM

Maybe, Maybe not. Its just one game and lets just see how all the rookies, all schools, fare when the real tournament starts. ( UAAP ) Playing in front of a big crowd is a factor that these rookie might not experience until the UAAP. The tension is also different when the games ( some say that really count ) start.

bigfreeze_bibby
04-14-2008, 10:54 AM
Based on yesterday's game, maganda ang energy and effort shown by the rookies. I have to agree with what others have said in here that medyo gamay na sila at alam na kung paano gagalaw sa mga patterns ng sistema in both offense and defense. I love the way Villanueva and Noble deny the post passes. Parang mga hindi na talaga rookies nung sinabak sa loob.

Webb, on the other hand, e may gigil pa sa ibang plays kaya nawawala ang ball possession but his energy is still there (I wonder kung nawawala ito hehehe). Revilla had to take out that rust in the 1st quarter before going alive in the 3rd quarter to lead the Archers in their breakaway. He's the vital rookie I should say as he'll get his minutes as back up to starter Atkins.

Joescoundrel
04-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Maui Villanueva's footwork and arms-length box out tactics are very refined for some one that young, it served him well in rebounding and defense even against tough customers like Mao Pradas and Marv Hayes.

By the way just as a point of reference, what high school class is Villanueva? Is he Jai Reyes's batch mate?

nel
04-14-2008, 11:07 AM

Maybe, Maybe not. Its just one game and lets just see how all the rookies, all schools, fare when the real tournament starts. ( UAAP ) Playing in front of a big crowd is a factor that these rookie might not experience until the UAAP. The tension is also different when the games ( some say that really count ) start.

Agreed. The rookies were given some pt, and this helped them shake off some of the jitters as they got a better feel of the game(and how, with some of them kissing the floor against the Heavy Bruisers, oops Bombers). What was apparent was that they can fit into Franz's system, and this early, they have a good idea of the roles they are expected to play. Villanueva showed a lot of maturity in his game, and LA exhibited the talent and all-court skills that will help him become a good pg. Bagatsing will help out with the ball handling, and Webb and Noble will probably help man the paint. However, it's too early to even say that this crop is among the best, because the recruits of the other schools have better credentials and track records in junior play.

marmand
04-14-2008, 12:55 PM
What happened to Cua?

Kid Cubao
04-14-2008, 03:46 PM
there is a big difference in quantity over quality, and i guess the green archers chose the latter. way to go guys, you just set the bar a little higher again. now it's time for the rest of the field to catch up with the defending champs.

nel
04-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the kind words, kid cubao, but that was just one game, albeit with good results. Last year, the Archers did well in the pre-season tourneys, but come UAAP time, gave many of us the beginnings of a heart attack with their inconsistent play. The rookies got a lot of pt yesterday, and this allowed them to shake off the jitters, but yesterday was a pressure-free game. There's a world of difference between yesterday and an actual UAAP game.

On the other hand, the blue-chip recruits of the Blue Eagles didn't get enough floor time to show anything. They can't be discounted, and once they get used to the collegiate game, will probably show why they were highly recruited in the first place.

It's probably the other contenders like FEU, UST, and UE who have been relatively quiet that we should watch out for. They've been operating under the radar these past few months, and could conceivably spring a couple of nasty surprises once the tournament starts. For sure, it will be a very competitive UAAP season.

CM_Punk
04-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Maui Villanueva's footwork and arms-length box out tactics are very refined for some one that young, it served him well in rebounding and defense even against tough customers like Mao Pradas and Marv Hayes.

By the way just as a point of reference, what high school class is Villanueva? Is he Jai Reyes's batch mate?

Maui graduated from UPIS in 2005, I think at the age of 16. That makes him around 19 years old right now. Would have liked to see him in maroon for college, but DLSU is also a good place for him as well.

marmand
04-14-2008, 05:20 PM
He would have been perfect for UP. Probably their main big man. Sayang talaga, but well life goes on for the Maroons.

cub
04-14-2008, 07:11 PM

Maui graduated from UPIS in 2005, I think at the age of 16. That makes him around 19 years old right now. Would have liked to see him in maroon for college, but DLSU is also a good place for him as well.

pwede rin maglaro siya sa San Beda because his brother was a former Red Lion. pero sa La Salle siya napunta. :)

batangueño
04-14-2008, 07:53 PM
He would have been perfect for UP. Probably their main big man. Sayang talaga, but well life goes on for the Maroons.

He would have been in Diliman if only Coach Joe Lipa did not fall prey to the dirty and unforgiving politics of State U. :(

Well, now that Maui is with La Salle, I wish him the best of luck. I know that he is in good hands down there in Taft given the kind of basketball program that La Salle has under Coach Franz. :)

As for LA Revilla, well, the kid seems to be enjoying his new home at 2401 Taft Avenue. He has quite a big shoe to fill as TY T@ng's replacement so I wish him the best of luck. :)

glock23
04-14-2008, 08:30 PM

He would have been in Diliman if only Coach Joe Lipa did not fall prey to the dirty and unforgiving politics of State U. :(

Well, now that Maui is with La Salle, I wish him the best of luck. I know that he is in good hands down there in Taft given the kind of basketball program that La Salle has under Coach Franz. :)

As for LA Revilla, well, the kid seems to be enjoying his new home at 2401 Taft Avenue. He has quite a big shoe to fill as TY T@ng's replacement so I wish him the best of luck. :)

LA will act as back up to simon atkins first bro! But without a doubt, the kid's got game! :)

batangueño
04-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Kabayang glock23, I know that Revilla will be Atkins' back-up this coming season. Pa-hinog muna siguro siya bilang alternate point guard pero alam ko na kayang-kaya niya ang magiging role niya sa La Salle by taking over the slot vacated by TY. :)

oca
04-14-2008, 08:58 PM
LA Revilla got a lot of good reviews. Not to take anything from the kid, I think JRU didn't play him right.

JRU was outright stupid in banging the kid from the backcourt. Akala ba nila magugulat at matatakot nila ang bata. Nakita lang manipis ang katawan, ayun "pinisikal". The Staglets contained him. So did the Squires. Those were smart teams. Pero itong Bombers. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaay naku!

LA doesn't have a reliable outside shot, even open jumpers. So why stick close to him? Hindi mo rin naman basta-basta maaagawan yan.

Pag dinikitan mo yan sa front court, you open up passing lanes in front of him. That he will exploit. Guard him from an arms length distance and cover passing lanes infront. Force him to pass to the sides. If he fakes, don't bite. Let him take as many outside shots as he wants, the percentages will not work to his favor...not yet.

For two seasons I followed this kid, the lack of a consistent perimeter shot/ open jumper is, imo, the only thing missing in his game. When he acquires that skill, ewan ko kung paano pa yan dedepensahan.

Simply, the key in defending him NOW is to cover the passing lanes infront of him.

LA, better spend more time in developing that open jumper. Ang tagal ko nang hinihintay yan.

But the transformation I am waiting to see in the kid, now that he is in DLSU, is for him to bulk up the way TY did. That may take one full season or longer, maybe two. Pag kumapal na ang katawan niya mas marami pa siyang magagawa at both ends of the court.

Then, he will be more exciting and more fun to watch

glock23
04-14-2008, 10:05 PM
Kabayang glock23, I know that Revilla will be Atkins' back-up this coming season. Pa-hinog muna siguro siya bilang alternate point guard pero alam ko na kayang-kaya niya ang magiging role niya sa La Salle by taking over the slot vacated by TY. :)

Without a doubt bro! Our future PG had an awesome debut yesterday but the true acid test will be the UAAP. He has as mentor the best coach in college basketball in franz pumaren, but lets also not forget his foster parent here in manila is coach eric altamirano so this kid will be under the best coaches. I really wish this kid all the best and we'll see how it goes. :)

blueatheart
04-15-2008, 12:26 AM
if oca is correct, then the only down side of LA is his perimeter/outside shots. it has to be consistent. once he gets this thing going, I see another LA making waves in the UAAP

flsfnoeraekadad
04-15-2008, 01:32 AM
Dapat bumili si LA nung libro ni Triple H. Yung pampalaki ng katawan. Effective yun siguro sa kanya, kahit man lang lumapad ng kaunti ang katawan nya.

blueatheart
04-15-2008, 02:03 AM
hehehe bawal ata yun ah... :D

joelex
04-15-2008, 02:12 AM
LA Revilla is plain and flat out a playmaking, pass first point guard who will set up the offense, make right decisions and find the open man, as well as excellent ballhandling skills. Only downside is size, not only in bulk which he can work on, but also height. And a little more practice on his outside shot, but with the kid's work ethic, working on it may not be a problem.

bigfreeze_bibby
04-15-2008, 11:31 AM
But the transformation I am waiting to see in the kid, now that he is in DLSU, is for him to bulk up the way TY did. That may take one full season or longer, maybe two. Pag kumapal na ang katawan niya mas marami pa siyang magagawa at both ends of the court.

oca, yan ang magiging trabaho ni Dan Rose. For sure, LA will bulk up at the right time. As you can see, Barua's body structure has been improved from last season. Si Jvee, lumaki na rin katawan since he entered La Salle in 2003. But the bulk up must be in proper places so as not to diminish his speed, which is his primary asset. Sabi nga namin nung game last Sunday, from a freshman Ty Tang in the first quarter to a Tony Boy Espinosa in the second half.

Kid Cubao
04-15-2008, 11:37 AM
OT: the way to bulk up is to add muscle, not fat, weight. if his weight gain results in a gain in his waistline, mukhang nasobrahan sa isnak yung bata ;D

for me, though, just let him grow out his skeletal potential, kasi mukhang di pa maxxed out yung itataas ni revilla. evidence: the torso hasn't caught up with his limbs yet. and yes, he's a great find.

pooty tang
04-15-2008, 01:30 PM
but lets also not forget his foster parent here in manila is coach eric altamirano so this kid will be under the best coaches. I really wish this kid all the best and we'll see how it goes.* :)
Haha, that explains a lot. Kaya pala very fundamentally sound yung bata.

batangueño
04-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Mga Kabayan, ano nga palang status nung potential recruit from Cagayan De Oro? Solera yata ang apelyido niya. Is the kid assured of a slot in Team A this coming season?

Fried Green Tomato
04-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Solera had his debut game with the Green Archers this morning at the NIke Summer League.

No assurance given to all players vying for the DLSU UAAP team slot.

nash_bedista
04-15-2008, 10:14 PM
Dpat Maiimprove ni LA yung outside shots nya

kung hindi ....

"NEXT PAUL ARTADI" na sya..

oca
04-16-2008, 10:30 AM

kung hindi ....

That won't happen.

Imo, what prevented the kid from really developing a "ilista mo na" open jumper is there was no compelling reason to do so.

Given that he is a "pass first..." PG, in all his years as a Red Cub, spent 3 years there, he was surrounded by many talented offensive players. All he really needs to do was orchestrate.

Pero sa level na ito, pag pulos bukol ang bitaw niya, his man will sag and cover the passing lanes. Then, he will be rendered ineffective.

His most potent offensive skill was to drive to the basket. Pero parang decoy na rin. Pag may sumalubong or may may switch sa depensa, napakadali sa bata ang gumawa ng pasa. But that won't be effective here given his size. Last game alone vs JRU he did tried to drive and draw, pero talagang mahina pa ang katawan. He would lose control of the grip on the ball pag nabangga o matapik sa loob.

Sabi ni bb, from TY to Tony ang laro ni LA from 1st to 2nd half. Imo, he is better than both TY and Tony as a college freshman baller, by a mile. Mas steady itong si LA sa dalawa at this same stage of their careers.

But it is a given this kid will be scouted. I wouldn't be surprised if every game from hereon will become more difficult for him and we will see him having less contribution to the team. Kung bata pa ang katawan mo at hindi reliable ang outside shot, and it is only the open jumper that he has to be good at really, your options oncourt becomes less and less.

But nandyan pa naman sina Atkins and Casio who can to play uno, okay lang nasa dulo ng rotation si LA habang nagpapakapal ng katawan at natututong maging consistent sa open jumpers niya.

batangueño
04-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Most probably, LA will be the third point guard in DLSU's rotation, with JV most probably being the starting point guard, followed by Atkins. At least, by being at that position, LA will be given the chance to develop himself further while seeing the minutes that he deserves in a UAAP game. LA is in good hands in a good basketball program so there is nothing much to worry about his development as a player. :)

The_Big_Cat
04-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Most probably, LA will be the third point guard in DLSU's rotation, with JV most probably being the starting point guard, followed by Atkins. At least, by being at that position, LA will be given the chance to develop himself further while seeing the minutes that he deserves in a UAAP game. LA is in good hands in a good basketball program so there is nothing much to worry about his development as a player. :)

I don't think Casio will spend time carrying the ball. He's their number 1 scorer right now and you don't want him to tire out by carrying the ball. Casio will be their shooting guard. Pumaren likes Atkins, he their starting PG and Revilla as the reliever off the bench. Maybe, in some situation, Casio might be a PG and Malabes as SG and Mangahas as SF.
:)

batangueño
04-16-2008, 10:51 AM
I don't think Casio will spend time carrying the ball. He's their number scorer right now and you don't want him to tire out by carrying the ball. Casio will be their shooting guard. Pumaren likes Atkins, he their starting PG and Revilla as the reliever off the bench. Maybe, in some situation, Casio might be a PG and Malabes as SG and Mangahas as SF.
:)

I agree. :)

JV could see more time as a shooting guard rather than as a point guard unless Bader and Mangahas have improved on their shooting. Given that, Atkins will most probably be the starting point guard while LA will be Atkins' reliever. :)

greencm
04-16-2008, 11:18 AM
I definitely agree that LA Revilla is a great find. I was also hoping for Nico Salva to return to the 'green' side along with LA but that didn't materialize.

It's still too early to tell if he's better than TY during the latter's freshman year. Majority saw Tang fumbling several times during his inaugural UAAP stint while Revilla has had a wonder game during a pre-season tourney. Heck, I can't even remember the names of the JRU PG's.

Also, I'd have to disagree though that he's better than Tonyboy in the fateful '91 season (at least at this point). If I remember correctly, Espinosa was the only PG who could go toe-to-toe with the great (then senior) Johnny Abarrientos. If not for injuries, Espinosa would have led the Archers to several UAAP titles.

marmand
04-16-2008, 12:11 PM
With all this fuzz about LA, people are forgetting that the best point guard ( now ) for the Archers is Atkins. Good ball control, passing and perimeter shot.

flsfnoeraekadad
04-16-2008, 12:14 PM
That is a given already. The fuzz, I think, are evaluation for the rookies. You could also hear about Webb and Noble, but reality is Rico and Ferdinand still have a better edge over them.

The_Big_Cat
04-16-2008, 12:50 PM
.It's still too early to tell if he's better than TY during the latter's freshman year. Majority saw t@ng fumbling several times during his inaugural UAAP stint while Revilla has had a wonder game during a pre-season tourney. Heck, I can't even remember the names of the JRU PG's.

Also, I'd have to disagree though that he's better than Tonyboy in the fateful '91 season (at least at this point).

JRU's PG is Cagoco, the Crocodile. ;D

Yes. Sayang nagkamali lang ng pasok si Espinosa nun '91.

pooty tang
04-16-2008, 12:53 PM

kung hindi ....

That's actually not bad. Paul Artadi is a very good PG despite his limitations as a shooter.

pooty tang
04-16-2008, 01:12 PM
That is a given already. The fuzz, I think, are evaluation for the rookies. You could also hear about Webb and Noble, but reality is Rico and Ferdinand still have a better edge over them.

Speaking of rookies, technically it will be Batricevic's rookie year this coming UAAP season will he qualify for the ROY award?

The_Big_Cat
04-16-2008, 01:19 PM

Speaking of rookies, technically it will be Batricevic's rookie year this coming UAAP season will he qualify for the ROY award?

I think not. UAAP rules states that he must not come from Team B. And must be legit freshman as in fresh HS graduate.

2006 we saw the rookie season of Jervy Cruz (he came from Team B). Cruz had better statistics than Woody Co. Co eventually won the ROY while Cruz was part of the mythical five.

marmand
04-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Batricevic was part of the the UAAP team of La Salle. This season will be his 2nd year in the UAAP. He got injured when he was named to the UAAP team thus La Salle could not take him out or replace him with another player.

The_Big_Cat
04-16-2008, 01:32 PM
Batricevic was part of the the UAAP team of La Salle. This season will be his 2nd year in the UAAP. He got injured when he was named to the UAAP team thus La Salle could not take him out or replace him with another player.

I think Batricevic will be playing his third year at Taft. He started playing in 2006 in the FIL-OIL Homegrown tourney. Obviously did not play in 2006 UAAP bcoz of the suspension. He got injured 2007. But he will be playing his first legitimate UAAP season come July.

marmand
04-16-2008, 01:38 PM
The suspension year does not count in the number of playing years.

The_Big_Cat
04-16-2008, 01:40 PM
The suspension year does not count in the number of playing years.

Yes it doesn't count.

greencm
04-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Batricevic was part of last season's UAAP line-up and, in fact, played a game.

The_Big_Cat
04-16-2008, 03:18 PM
Batricevic was part of last season's UAAP line-up and, in fact, played a game.

So, technically now he will be playing his 2nd year at the UAAP.

shyboy
04-16-2008, 05:51 PM
This is Batricevic's second year in the UAAP and fourth year in school. If I remember it right, he was already in DLSU in 2005 but had to finish a year of residency. Then tough luck we got suspended in 2006. And then another misfortune, he got injured before the UAAP began last year. Sobrang gigil na gigil na siguro maglaro si Marko this year.

mltan
04-16-2008, 07:00 PM
This is Batricevic's second year in the UAAP and fourth year in school.* If I remember it right, he was already in DLSU in 2005 but had to finish a year of residency.* Then tough luck we got suspended in 2006.* And then another misfortune, he got injured before the UAAP began last year.* Sobrang gigil na gigil na siguro maglaro si Marko this year.

marko should be ready to play by the end of the pre season tournaments

The_Big_Cat
04-17-2008, 10:28 AM
This is Batricevic's second year in the UAAP and fourth year in school. If I remember it right, he was already in DLSU in 2005 but had to finish a year of residency. Then tough luck we got suspended in 2006. And then another misfortune, he got injured before the UAAP began last year. Sobrang gigil na gigil na siguro maglaro si Marko this year.

marko should be ready to play by the end of the pre season tournaments

I hope he gets healthy so he could showcase his talents.

GHRanger
04-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Though I believe JVee will be one of the top archers this season, *I still see him coming off the bench during a couple of games. *This is a strategy i've noticed for a couple of years now with coach Franz. *JVee quickly fills in the gaps between the 1-2 positions (which he plays so well). *So mismatches/adjustments are made. *He also provides leadership for the second team-- this i believe is one of the most important roles. *

Pero summa total, you'll still see JVee finishing the game and taking that last shot. * *

marmand
04-17-2008, 10:45 AM
The strongest five of the Archers would probably be:

C - Walsham
PF - Rico
SF - Mangahas
SG - Casio
PG - Atkins

Malabes or Bagatsing as 6th man.

nel
04-17-2008, 10:57 AM
Bader may start in place of JV. Bader is a streaky shooter, and if he gets hot early, could pose some problems for the opponents. JV could come off the bench a la Ginobili, a super sub who gives instant offense and leadership off the bench.

marmand
04-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Who do you think is a more complete player? ( better player ) Bader or Bagatsing? I see more potential in Bagatsing then Bader.

Kid Cubao
04-17-2008, 12:10 PM
as far as being a complete player is concerned, the only one i know is the part-owner of the carolina cougars.

here is a brief scouting report on the two: bader is a better shooter than bagatsing. on the other hand, bagatsing is a better overall defender and rebounder than bader. to sum it up, bader malabes is more of a go-to guy, while hyram bagatsing is the classic go-get-it fellow.

nel
04-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Bader is probably the better shooter, and Hyram's ball handling skills are probably a bit better. However, both are capable of playing the point when required, and can take it strong to the basket as well.

marmand
04-17-2008, 12:35 PM
as far as being a complete player is concerned, the only one i know is the part-owner of the carolina cougars.

here is a brief scouting report on the two: bader is a better shooter than bagatsing. on the other hand, bagatsing is a better overall defender and rebounder than bader. to sum it up, bader malabes is more of a go-to guy, while hyram bagatsing is the classic go-get-it fellow.

Then Bagatsing would be a better fit in the final minutes of a game because the Archers have Casio, Rico and maybe Mangahas or Atkins as their scoring option. They would need others to play defense and at offense to go-get-it. ;D

The_Big_Cat
04-17-2008, 12:46 PM
hyram bagatsing is the classic go-get-it fellow.

A hustle player indeed.

glock23
04-17-2008, 01:46 PM

kung hindi ....

He will be surprising some people soon. Steady ka lang bro! ;D

bigfreeze_bibby
04-17-2008, 02:46 PM
I think Bader is an underrated defender and can defend pretty well the opposing shooting guards or forwards just like what he did last season. Hyram is the better ball handler as he can fill in the gaps for the PG position from time to time. Mas may flexibility lang right now si coach Franz in picking his lineup depende sa situation at hand due to the players that he got this season. Lahat puede maging gap fillers from the 2-3-4 spots at ease. Chemistry na lang kulang and this team is all set and ready to go.

marmand
04-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Thats whats good about Franz's system, He makes sure that the rookies get enough exposure together with the veterans. Chemistry is develop through getting exposure. Franz shows so much confidence in his rookies. Regardless who they are playing, Franz uses his rookies even during the crucial moments of the game.

nel
04-17-2008, 06:15 PM
I agree with bfb, Bader is a two way player who can act as a hard nosed defender when the need arises. Bagatsing brings a different fluidity to the ball handling and distribution. What's nice about the lineup as it is now is the flexibility the coaches have in shuffling the combinations on the floor. The Archers can now man the 3-4-5 positions with enough tall players who can operate inside and outside, and they'll no longer be at a disadvantage against the taller frontlines unlike in the past seasons.

Franz uses the pre-season tournaments as a good gauge of how the rookies will react to in-game situations. The coaching staff are able to see where they need polishing, and what role they can play when a situation arises. It's also an excellent opportunity for the rookies to blend in with the veterans and develop the kind of teamwork that will be crucial in tight situations. By the time the UAAP comes around, he knows more or less what to expect from them since they will have had enough exposure to the system.

Still, this team is a work in progress, what with the number of rookies who could potentially make the team. It's too early to say that they will be a serious contender. There are still mistakes that will be committed as they learn to play together as a team, and adjustments will still have to be made. The final 4 is probably what we should target for now.

Fried Green Tomato
04-17-2008, 07:28 PM
I expect a revival of the old (& very effective) DLSU nightmare press as this time we have the necessary tools to make it work.

As the summer leagues progress, expect franz to experiment with different varieties of the press but i don't expect him to reveal all his plays for the uaap season.

And this is true also with the others teams as we may see glimpses of what they have but not the complete package.

Although we're still in the initial stage of preparation for the uaap season, what is suprising, unlike the past seasons, is that our present rookies (not including hyram) have easily adapted to our system. For sure, we're still going to see rookie mistakes being committed every now & then, but they have earned high marks from our coaching staff for their aggressive (if not yet confident) performance. Gone were the days when tentativeness was usually associated with the rookies playing in a summer league.

I"m not saying that this batch has a higher basketball IQs than our previous batches... aill i'm saying is that this batch is ready & eager to play a typical La Salle game... the way it should be played.

Also, i'm no longer concern whether we win these summer leagues or not... or even making it to the finals as we know very well that the uaap is still our foremost concern.

The_Big_Cat
04-17-2008, 07:39 PM
James Mangahas reminds me of Alvin Magpantay of the mid '90s team.

Same built, same shooting form, deceptive but deadly from the perimeter.

nel
04-18-2008, 09:59 AM
I expect a revival of the old (& very effective) DLSU nightmare press as this time we have the necessary tools to make it work.

As the summer leagues progress, expect franz to experiment with different varieties of the press but i don't expect him to reveal all his plays for the uaap season.

And this is true also with the others teams as we may see glimpses of what they have but not the complete package.

Although we're still in the initial stage of preparation for the uaap season, what is suprising, unlike the past seasons, is that our present rookies (not including hyram) have easily adapted to our system. For sure, we're still going to see rookie mistakes being committed every now & then, but they have earned high marks from our coaching staff for their aggressive (if not yet confident) performance. Gone were the days when tentativeness was usually associated with the rookies playing in a summer league.

I"m not saying that this batch has a higher basketball IQs than our previous batches... aill i'm saying is that this batch is ready & eager to play a typical La Salle game... the way it should be played.

Also, i'm no longer concern whether we win these summer leagues or not... or even making it to the finals as we know very well that the uaap is still our foremost concern.

The one thing that is very apparent is that this team is exciting to watch. As you said, doing well in the pre-season tournaments is nice, but the coaches keep their eyes firmly focused on the championship that really matters, the uaap. Though this is still a developmental activity for them, don't expect them to pull their punches, as they tinker and experiment with the various combinations. I wouldn't be surprised if the rookies are fielded in game-winning situations, just to see how they respond to that kind of pressure. The best way to develop them is to expose them to the collegiate game and hope they learn quickly. The vets will probably not get as much playing time as they usually do in the uaap, because they already know the system, and still have to gradually work themselves into uaap shape.

The rookies bring a sense of novelty, being new and relatively unknown before they made their debut in a tournament last Sunday. They also have that youthful energy, exuberance, and eagerness to fit in and be accepted into the team, probably because no one is certain of making the lineup, so everyone still has that "try out" mentality. But, as with most rookies, they still have much to learn. The team looks good, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it yet.

Rektikano
04-18-2008, 06:26 PM
James Mangahas reminds me of Alvin Magpantay of the mid '90s team.

Same built, same shooting form, deceptive but deadly from the perimeter.

But James is more athletic and is the better rebounder what with his higher leaping ability that Alvin. Alvin though is the better shooter with the triple being his specialty.

By the way, Alvin Magpantay and OJ Cua were former Letran NCAA junior mvps that made it to the La Salle UAAP lineup.

stonecold316
04-20-2008, 04:35 AM
Base sa mga nabasa ko dito, It looks like DLSU will be a strong contender this year.

stonecold316

Dark Knight
04-20-2008, 09:40 AM
Base sa mga nabasa ko dito, It looks like DLSU will be a strong contender this year.

stonecold316

Stonecold.....DLSU is always a contender every year. They're the defending champs for Chrissakes.* ::)

flsfnoeraekadad
04-21-2008, 01:58 AM

stonecold316

Stonecold.....DLSU is always a contender every year. They're the defending champs for Chrissakes. ::)

You just said what I wanted to say that I did not dare to post.

marmand
04-21-2008, 10:50 AM
Whatever happen to Lansang? He was mentioned a couple of times in this forum.

sanlo
04-21-2008, 12:24 PM
Napako! hehe

The_Big_Cat
04-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Napako! hehe

Literally in ilonggo. ;D

madskillz
04-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Are revilla, maui, sorela enrolled already? Have they passed the DLSUET already? I know Bagatsing is, how bout the rest?

CM_Punk
04-22-2008, 09:58 AM
Looks like Maui Villanueva is indeed eligible to play this year from DLSU. According to this article from Sidney Ventura (http://www.ubelt.com/uaap/mbb/story.aspx?id=1501):

"... But I was able to get hold of a copy of the eligibility rule covering cases like this. Ironically, it appears it was proposed by UP’s Board representative in 2005, former CHK Dean Gilda Uy. Check of 4c (bold fonts mine):

4. Except as provided in these Rules, the residency requirement for students who have studied abroad in order to be eligible to play in the UAAP, shall be two (2) consecutive years having duly enrolled in the Philippines, and having satisfactorily met the academic requirements by passing the minimum number of units required (for transferees please refer to rules on transfer students).

Further, the following cases are exempted:

a.* * children of parents assigned abroad due to the nature of their jobs;
b.* * children of parents who are OFWs; and
c.* * Filipino students who had their 2nd high school graduation abroad, provided the 1st graduation was from a high school in the Philippines.

I guess that pretty much settles it. I’m pretty sure Maui graduated from UPIS in 2005, so that would count for his “1st graduation from a high school in the Philippines."

Maui should make a solid impact with the Green Archers this year. Best of luck to him.

marmand
04-22-2008, 11:27 AM
In the case of Maui, do you mean he graduated high school in 2005 ( UPIS )then graduated again high school in Japan? ??? You would think that after graduation here that if a student goes abroad he will go for college.

erichubert
04-22-2008, 02:18 PM
Yes that is exactly what happened, in essence he graduated twice in high school. I am pretty sure he played high school ball in Japan, not college ball so he is eligible.

marmand
04-22-2008, 02:45 PM
In that case, good for him and the Archers. He will be an asset and most probably be an important part of the rotation. They found a bruiser to replace Ilad and bang inside the paint. The plus factor with him is that he has a perimeter game.

CM_Punk
04-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Maui was only 16 when he graduated from high school here in UPIS. In other countries, the students are around 18-19 years old for their 1st year in college. So, when Maui was recruited to play in Japan back in 2005, he was considered as a transfer student due to his young age, and graduated from high school (a second time) this past school year in Japan.

04-22-2008, 05:21 PM
In that case, good for him and the Archers. He will be an asset and most probably be an important part of the rotation. They found a bruiser to replace Ilad and bang inside the paint. The plus factor with him is that he has a perimeter game.

He is hardly a bruiser ::)

erichubert
04-22-2008, 05:39 PM
From what I remember, he is not really a physical presence down low, but he is long and athletic plus he has a knack for the ball, and really hustles a lot. With La Salle, he could be their Arana or Wilson type of a player but I think his skills are way better than the latter two.

marmand
04-22-2008, 06:09 PM

He is hardly a bruiser ::)

He might not fit the typical mold of a bruiser but when he plays he fights hard inside for the rebounds and goes for the put backs. His advantage is really his perimeter game.

stonecold316
04-25-2008, 03:34 AM

stonecold316

Stonecold.....DLSU is always a contender every year. They're the defending champs for Chrissakes. ::)

Alam ko naman na every UAAP season eh contender ang DLSU when it comes to basketball. Pero ang pinag-uusapan natin eh SEASON 71. Bakit, Are you sure na next year contender kayo? Anything can happen sa UAAP basketball. Sana naman kaunting humility on your side.

Yes, you're team are the defending champs but I don't think DLSU will win the crown this year. Again, this is just my observation. Goodluck na lang sa team ninyo.

stonecold316

shyboy
04-25-2008, 07:14 AM

stonecold316

Stonecold.....DLSU is always a contender every year. They're the defending champs for Chrissakes.* ::)

Alam ko naman na every UAAP season eh contender ang DLSU when it comes to basketball. Pero ang pinag-uusapan natin eh SEASON 71. Bakit, Are you sure na next year contender kayo? Anything can happen sa UAAP basketball. Sana naman kaunting humility on your side.

Yes, you're team are the defending champs but I don't think DLSU will win the crown this year. Again, this is just my observation. Goodluck na lang sa team ninyo.

stonecold316

Stonecold, yes I think Dark Knight's team may still be contenders next year. His team is FEU if I'm not mistaken. :P

As for DLSU, we always try to be competitive. It's the observers' and analyst's job to say if the Archers are contenders or otherwise. :D

marmand
04-25-2008, 11:26 AM
As long as the "forces" surrounding the team stays in place then La Salle will always be a force to reckon with. History speaks for itself. Since the Final 4 format had been implemented, I do not remember them missing a spot. Throw everything in, good scouting, good coaching and OTHERS that makes the Archers the power house of every UAAP season and all other leagues that they join.

Kid Cubao
04-25-2008, 11:33 AM
kahit atenista ako, tanggap kong maluwag na pag DLSU ang pinag-uusapan, hindi na itinatanong kung papasok sila sa final 4 kundi ang kampeonato. don't ever count them out this season, or next season, or the season after next. ganyan talaga.

coreytaylor
04-25-2008, 11:48 AM
la salle is competitive and will always be competitive as long as coach franz pumaren is still around.

Fried Green Tomato
04-25-2008, 02:12 PM

stonecold316

stonecold316

In Season '69, FEU (the defending champs then) failed to make the Final 4 cast despite the presence of only 7 teams (with La Salle under suspension). Since the inception of the Final 4, i think it was the first time that the defending champs failed to even make the final 4 round. And even last season, UST (the defending champs then) had to go through a do-or-die match vs feu for the 4th Final 4 slot. Given what transpired in the last two seasons, all teams are equal and considered as contenders until they play the game --- there we separate the real contenders and the pretenders.

Definitely, we are going to do our best making the final 4 round. Season after season, the a final 4 slot has always been our primary target and for this season, though we're the defending champs, the goal remains the same. For Season '71, we expect 5 teams contending for the final 4 slots - ateneo, ust, ue, feu & dlsu. Although we are the defending champs and we have not missed a final 4 playoff since its inception whenever we got the chance to play, we see 4 other teams with the capability to bump us out of the final 4... and for that reason, we are going to try very hard to make the final 4 and from there, take our chances in defending our crown.

Also, when we say a certain school is a potential contender this season or in seasons to come, we look at the progress of their build up program --- it's actually based on historical facts. For the past few years (since the late 90s), Ateneo has been consistent in making the final 4 bec. of the changes they implemented for their basketball program. FEU is always a powerhouse bec. they too have a basketball program. Even last year, when they almost make the final 4, we expect them to be a force come season '71. UE is still hungry for a crown and eventhough their magical 14-0 run was cut short in the end, we still expect them to be a contender this season bec. the key components of the team are still in place and intact despite the departure of some key players. And lately, UST is on a rebound after being off-target for a couple of years. Winning Season '69 crown was the key in making ust very competitive again.

As for La Salle, nobody's going to believe us if ever we say that we're not going to be a contender this season or in seasons to come - we're not going to fool anybody by saying so! This is not about humility or even to some extent the adage "never underestimate the heart of a champion" as it more about the historical facts debunking whatever we might want to say or spin just to be perceived as just another team. Since 1988, we've always been a contender --- a consistent contender. We may not win all the times but we've always been there. We have seen other teams downfall and even ressurection but during those years, we have remained constant.

As for the years to come, there's no assurance that we're still going to be a contender but one thing is for sure --- we are working very hard to have a brighter future!

glock23
04-26-2008, 12:00 PM
As long as the "forces" surrounding the team stays in place then La Salle will always be a force to reckon with. History speaks for itself. Since the Final 4 format had been implemented, I do not remember them missing a spot. Throw everything in, good scouting, good coaching and OTHERS that makes the Archers the power house of every UAAP season and all other leagues that they join.

May i know what you meant by "forces" surrounding the team meant?

marmand
04-26-2008, 12:50 PM

Things that are known to be unknown. ;)

glock23
04-26-2008, 03:27 PM

ergo, a fragment of your malicious imagination. ;D

marmand
04-26-2008, 04:49 PM

There are things better left unsaid. ;)

glock23
04-26-2008, 05:26 PM

more so if it's not your "house".....unless of course breeding is not one of your strong suits. ;)

marmand
04-26-2008, 05:34 PM

more so if it's not your "house".....unless of course breeding is not one of your strong suits. ;)

My friend do not go there. Breeding? I belong to a family of La Sallians ( although I am proud to be from Ateneo ) so what I said is not to mock La Salle but just to state some facts. I can not elaborate for obvious reasons. Chill. :)

glock23
04-26-2008, 06:05 PM

My friend do not go there. Breeding? I belong to a family of La Sallians ( although I am proud to be from Ateneo ) so what I said is not to mock La Salle but just to state some facts. I can not elaborate for obvious reasons. Chill. :)

As long as everything is clear then no worries.....chill pill taken! peace bro! :)

coreytaylor
04-28-2008, 03:11 PM
now that you have your sights on norbert torres and jerome ramos, huwag nyo ng kunin si solera. puro lang kasi porma ang batang yan. lagi kasi namin yang kalaro dito sa cagayan de oro. malaki nga pero puro lang porma.

stonecold316
04-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Personally, DLSU will always be a contender. Sa track record pa lang ng team kita na kung bakit laging kinatatakutan ang DLSU. Pero para sakin, mukhang may chance na ma bump sila this year. Pero pananaw ko lang iyun.

Ateneo, UST, FEU and UE are also strong. Kaya dapat mag galingan pa ng DLSU ngayon lalo na sila ang defending champs. I'm sure may bulleye sa likuran nila at gusto talaga sila talunin ng seven other teams.

stonecold316

flsfnoeraekadad
04-28-2008, 06:55 PM
Ateneo, UST, FEU and UE are also strong. Kaya dapat mag galingan pa ng DLSU ngayon lalo na sila ang defending champs. I'm sure may bulleye sa likuran nila at gusto talaga sila talunin ng seven other teams.

You do really want me to call Captain Obvious for you? ;D

Dark Knight
04-28-2008, 08:31 PM

You just said what I wanted to say that I did not dare to post. :D

stonecold316
05-02-2008, 04:32 AM

Easy tol. Kung ganyan ang hirit mo, might as well huwag na lang natin i-discuss ang mga teams dito gameface.
I'm just expressing my point of view kung anong UAAP teams ang teams' to beat for UAAP Season 71.

Obvious kasi we all know na NU, UP and Adamson is off the radar with regards sa mga UAAP team's na may malakas na line-up.
Well, para sakin may shot din ang mga to makapasok sa Final Four what with UP and Adamson having new coaches and players in their line-ups and of course maganda rin ang training/practices nila in the course of summer. Pero siyempre long shot pa rin sila.

Anyway, wait and see na lang tayo. Basta bilog ang bola and anything can happen. Kahit malakas pa ang team, pag nahaluaan ng kamalasan pwede pa rin matalo sa laban.

stonecold316

stonecold316
05-02-2008, 04:42 AM

You just said what I wanted to say that I did not dare to post.* :D

Nakakahiya at too obvious ang predictions ko kung anong teams ang papasok sa UAAP Final Four. Nakakahiya din kasi too obvious na DLSU ang gustong talunin ng mga teams sa UAAP season 71. My bad.

;) ;) ;)

Anyway para maiba, sino po ba sa tingin ninyo ang mananalo ng championship sa UAAP season 71? Sana po hindi obvious ang makuha kong sagot sa inyo katulad na na-post ko.

;D ;D ;D

stonecold316

shyboy
05-02-2008, 07:22 AM
^ Sa puso ko La Salle ang mananalo dahil alumni ako. Sa utak ko di kami nakakasiguro. Yan ang obvious na sagot na makukuha mo dito. ;D

Ang di obvious na sagot, ang gusto kong pumasok sa Final Four is DLSU, NU, Adamson and UP. ;D

Kid Cubao
05-02-2008, 08:59 AM
^^ off-topic: hmmmm. kung yang tatlong team ang makakasabay ng la salle sa final 4, tyak back-to-back na para sa green archers ;D

seriously, though, sa tatlong yan, mukhang adamson ang lumakas dahil magbabalik si coach leo austria at si marc agustin. mahihirapan ang NU dahil mawawala si joseph lingao-lingao at jonathan fernandez. at mahihirapan ang UP, period.

The_Big_Cat
05-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Since Tang and Villanueva have graduated, may I ask who are the team captains for this season? ???

coreytaylor
05-02-2008, 12:26 PM
^ malamang si maierhoffer or casio

glock23
05-12-2008, 07:27 PM
The Uaap is now allowing a 16 man line-up for each team. That means all 6 of our rookies can play for S71! We're going to be the team with most number of rooks, interesting season this will turn out to be. ;D

Kid Cubao
05-13-2008, 09:32 AM
glock, mukhang pinaguusapan pa ata ang mungkahing ito, kaya hindi pa final, sabi ng aming board rep.

bigfreeze_bibby
05-13-2008, 02:23 PM
Yup glock. Suggestion pa lang ito. Nothing is definite yet until the next board meeting for rule amendments and changes.

glock23
05-13-2008, 08:12 PM
thanks kid and bfb :)

batangueño
05-15-2008, 09:36 PM
On Rico: Sana lang ay medyo bawas-bawasan niya yung pagiging pikon niya. I have no problems as far as his talent and contribution to the Archers' campaign are concerned. However, when things get rough, it seems that Rico loses his temper, which can cause some serious problems for him and the team.

The_Big_Cat
05-16-2008, 12:57 PM
On Rico: Sana lang ay medyo bawas-bawasan niya yung pagiging pikon niya. I have no problems as far as his talent and contribution to the Archers' campaign are concerned. However, when things get rough, it seems that Rico loses his temper, which can cause some serious problems for him and the team.

Not a Team Captain trait.
The mild-mannered JV Casio is the more diplomatic choice to be the Captain.

GHRanger
05-17-2008, 12:12 AM
Jvee and Rico will be co captains i believe.

arrow_head
05-17-2008, 08:37 PM
yup, seniority rule in effect. Last season, I believe that Ty and Cholo were co-captains of the squad.

I don't mind Rico (or any of the Archers) having their tempers flare during a match, as that speaks of their enthusiasm and passion about the game. Besides, hoops is a damn physical game, so it couldn't be helped if one would become animated after a wayward elbow hits one's mug. The point is, they should channel these emotions to hustle better, rebound harder, set crushing picks, defend like there's no tomorrow and score on the hoop like throwing a ball into the ocean.

jeffjan
05-17-2008, 11:46 PM
basta huwag aalis ng bench kapag may altercation sa court. ;D

GHRanger
05-18-2008, 03:03 AM
basta huwag aalis ng bench kapag may altercation sa court.* ;D

Lessons Learned. Hopefully. :)

ArcherAdictant
05-18-2008, 11:48 AM
I heard that Webb is going to LaSalle this season. I bet that he will fit good with Rico in his side.

flsfnoeraekadad
05-18-2008, 11:55 AM
I also heard that the sun always rises in the east.

The_Big_Cat
05-18-2008, 06:14 PM
I also heard that the sun always rises in the east.

What else did you heard? Did you hear the chickens while the sun rose? ;D :D

bigfreeze_bibby
05-26-2008, 11:26 AM
To clear things up, JM Noble is not anymore with the team. He transferred to UE already. Don't count in Sorela anymore. So at present, these are the players listed in the Green Archers' line up:

Casio
Atkins
Barua
Mangahas
Malabes
Ferdinand
Batricevic
Webb
Villanueva
Revilla
Walsham
Bagatsing
Lee
Maierhoffer
Mendoza

15 players for now but that will depend if the UAAP board will allow a 16-man lineup for season 71 as I am not sure if this will push through. Feel free to correct me on this one.

izon
05-26-2008, 06:42 PM
To clear things up, JM Noble is not anymore with the team.* He transferred to UE already.* Don't count in Sorela anymore.* So at present, these are the players listed in the Green Archers' line up:

Casio
Atkins
Barua
Mangahas
Malabes
Ferdinand
Batricevic
Webb
Villanueva
Revilla
Walsham
Bagatsing
Lee
Maierhoffer
Mendoza

15 players for now but that will depend if the UAAP board will allow a 16-man lineup for season 71 as I am not sure if this will push through.* Feel free to correct me on this one.

Medyo marami rami rin naging "transient players" ang La Salle ah.

izon
05-29-2008, 07:02 PM
To clear things up, JM Noble is not anymore with the team.* He transferred to UE already.* Don't count in Sorela anymore.* So at present, these are the players listed in the Green Archers' line up:

Casio
Atkins
Barua
Mangahas
Malabes
Ferdinand
Batricevic
Webb
Villanueva
Revilla
Walsham
Bagatsing
Lee
Maierhoffer
Mendoza

15 players for now but that will depend if the UAAP board will allow a 16-man lineup for season 71 as I am not sure if this will push through.* Feel free to correct me on this one.

UAAP board has approved a 16 man lineup for each team. Read this in a thread. Correct me if I am wrong. If true then who would be the 16th player of La Salle ?

bigfreeze_bibby
05-29-2008, 08:34 PM
As of now, there are no news as to whoever gets that 16th spot for the Green Archers. Hopefully, in the next few days, we will be able to determine or find someone who can fill this spot. It might be too late though as I cannot see someone from the training team that can be elevated to team A action for season 71. If you'll ask if there's a possibility that the Green Archers will stick to this current lineup? My answer would be yes for now.

Unless of course, there's a ruling which stipulates that a team will be penalized for non-compliance of the maximum lineup requirement.

robie
05-31-2008, 08:35 PM
As of now, there are no news as to whoever gets that 16th spot for the Green Archers. Hopefully, in the next few days, we will be able to determine or find someone who can fill this spot. It might be too late though as I cannot see someone from the training team that can be elevated to team A action for season 71. If you'll ask if there's a possibility that the Green Archers will stick to this current lineup? My answer would be yes for now.

Unless of course, there's a ruling which stipulates that a team will be penalized for non-compliance of the maximum lineup requirement.

Any news on noble? I heard he didnt pass the test.

Kid Cubao
05-31-2008, 08:50 PM
^^ please backread reply no. 200.

izon
06-03-2008, 08:19 AM

Casio
Atkins
Barua
Mangahas
Malabes
Ferdinand
Batricevic
Webb
Villanueva
Revilla
Walsham
Bagatsing
Lee
Maierhoffer
Mendoza

Malamang eto na ang official basketball team ng La Salle.

Joescoundrel
06-09-2008, 10:51 AM
It pains me to say this. With what I've seen so far in the off-season every one might as well hand Lasalle the Season 71 UAAP championship.

Lasalle has this incredible mindset: when they are down they do not see it as "we are down" but rather as "we haven't won YET". They seem to know that victory is inevitable, they simply need to keep playing. No other team has that mindset, at least not at that level.

Franz Pumaren - and again it pains me to say this - has turned his team into a US Navy SEAL Team and his players into Special Force commandos who will complete their mission come hell or high water.

This is a team and a program built to win, whether it is recovering from big deficits, running opponents clear out of the stadium, or even getting through the pressure of win-or-go home games.

nel
06-10-2008, 09:41 AM
It pains me to say this. With what I've seen so far in the off-season every one might as well hand Lasalle the Season 71 UAAP championship.

Lasalle has this incredible mindset: when they are down they do not see it as "we are down" but rather as "we haven't won YET". They seem to know that victory is inevitable, they simply need to keep playing. No other team has that mindset, at least not at that level.

Franz Pumaren - and again it pains me to say this - has turned his team into a US Navy SEAL Team and his players into Special Force commandos who will complete their mission come hell or high water.

This is a team and a program built to win, whether it is recovering from big deficits, running opponents clear out of the stadium, or even getting through the pressure of win-or-go home games.

Thanks for the nice words, coming from someone who is truly experienced in the game, but unfortunately no one's going to give us the championship on a sliver platter.

There are so many strong teams in the UAAP this season, from your Blue Eagles, UST, UE, FEU, and even Adamson. The Tams are intact and have the benefit of one year together. Last year, they were already a handful, and this year they will most probably show their true capabilities. We split our pre-season games with the Falcons, and we had to sweat before we outlasted them in the game we won. UST will come back strong, with their core intact. Ateneo, well you have the cream of the recruiting crop, and with Tiu, Salamat, Rabeh, Baclao, and the other holdovers, your team will figure prominently in the final 4. NU is no pushover, and UP is capable of pulling some surprises.

Man-for-man, our lineup is relatively weaker than other teams', and with the loss of our guards Ty and Cholo, two thirds of our back court last year is gone. Remember, our back court was our biggest strength last year. Our middle is still suspect, and Marko still has to get into UAAP condition. Our guards are relatively untested: Simon and Bader are sophomore guards, LA and Hyram are rookies. Only JV can be considered a consistent threat, and he's sure to be marked closely this season.

One plus in our team is that the rookies were recruited based on how they would fit into the system. That's been the one constant over the years - the system. Everyone who wants to play has to accept their roles within the system, and since it's been successful, the newcomers are willing to buy into it. The only thing we can say about the Green Archers is that the system will be in play come July, and they will be competitive.

bigfreeze_bibby
06-12-2008, 09:33 PM
With the injuries hampering our backcourt, who do you guys think should be our 16th man in the lineup? Is there any possible recruit that we can get at this point to beef up our backcourt?

Joescoundrel
06-13-2008, 09:46 AM
^ Whatever happened to that Randy Soriano fellow who was Bader's teammate on your B Team a season or so ago Bibby? That guy was pretty sharp as a combo-guard, good size too, around 5'10" and sinewy. He could run plays, shoot almost as well as Bader, slash and was masterful in the drive and draw. I recall he was an average defender but an above-average to superior athlete. If there was ever a time to promote him to the UAAP this should be it. You guys will need insurance in the backcourt.

Is he the selfsame Randolph Soriano now on the Mapua lineup...?

GHRanger
06-13-2008, 10:12 AM
^ Whatever happened to that Randy Soriano fellow who was Bader's teammate on your B Team a season or so ago Bibby? That guy was pretty sharp as a combo-guard, good size too, around 5'10" and sinewy. He could run plays, shoot almost as well as Bader, slash and was masterful in the drive and draw. I recall he was an average defender but an above-average to superior athlete. If there was ever a time to promote him to the UAAP this should be it. You guys will need insurance in the backcourt.

Is he the selfsame Randolph Soriano now on the Mapua lineup...?

Joe,
Randolph Soriano and Allen Mangahas moved to Mapua last year.

batangueño
06-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Guys, how are the boys doing, most especially JV and Rico and the rookies? I am not able to catch most of their off-season games due to a mismatch in schedules. ???

I know that this is not the Tsismis thread but I could not help but ask this question here. Is there truth about rumors that JV might be having some physical troubles nowadays? The team really needs him if the Archers wanted to aim for a back-to-back title.

GHRanger
06-13-2008, 11:02 PM
Batangueno, JV is injured and undergoing therapy. He hasn't played for more than 2 weeks.

Yagami_Light
06-14-2008, 01:15 AM
You can consider the Green Archers a dead team when you take away their backcourt players. This was evident in an NSL game against Adamson where the lone point guard at that time is Simon Atkins who got injured. During the NSL Semis against Ateneo, LA Revilla proved to be a good recruit but as a lone court general took its toll on him and lose steam at the end stretch. It was also evident against San Beda during the Filoil-FlyingV Semis where in La Salle was toe-to-toe with the Red Lions until Revilla, the lone capable ball handler, got injured. It was downhill from that point for the Green Archers.

La Salle may be back at 50% ready for the UAAP wars with all the injuries that the team collected during the summer leagues. The success of the Green Archers greatly depend on how good the ball handler they are playing with. The next important thing is to have a bunch of good ball handlers. For La Salle to win, they can't afford to have only one decent point guard. Casio's injury is crucial. If he gets to play in Season 71 (1st rd, 2nd rd, final four, finals <--anywhere here) then the Green Archers will have a crack to defend the championship. If he will sit this season out then the Green Archers are at least a final four contender if Revilla, Atkins and Malabes stays healthy.

The good thing about the Green Archers is that despite the left and right injuries they suffer is that the wingmen and front court steps up. James Mangahas and PJ Barua are phenomenal during the summer leagues. Both players showed maturity and ready to step up for the team. Rico Maeirhofer is as dominant as he wants during the summer leagues. If only he can concentrate more on putting the ball inside the basket first than making the shot look good then he will be more dominant. PJ Walsham is like a diesel engine. He needs to be sloppy at the beggining then get scolded by Coach Franz before he struts his stuff. Impressive is Maui Villanueva. He plays like a veteran and have good basketball IQ.

La Salle needs to fill-up one more slot (MJ Mendoza is the 15th man). Who ever that may be, he should be one helluva player to keep this team on track in their bid for another back-to-back championship. La Salle can't afford to fill the slot for the sake of filling it. With their injuries and Casio's uncertain future, they need someone who can provide instant offense plus great defense. I hope the team grabs the chance to get this kind of player. The question is if there is still available players with this description. Definitely!

batangueño
06-14-2008, 03:52 AM
Batangueno, JV is injured and undergoing therapy.* He hasn't played for more than 2 weeks.

Kabayan and fellow Lasallian GHRanger, how is JV doing? Any development on his therapy sessions so far? ???

Apart from Rico, JV is one key player for the Archers just in case the team is aiming for a back-to-back championship title in Season 71. I just could not imagine how La Salle is going to operate without the leadership and the stability of JV Casio.

nightowl
06-14-2008, 07:31 AM
Team insiders have confirmed that JV just needs a little rest and therapy on his hand. There was no serious injury from the very beginning.

All the point guards of La Salle will be ready come July.

izon
06-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Team insiders have confirmed that JV just needs a little rest and therapy on his hand. There was no serious injury from the very beginning.

All the point guards of La Salle will be ready come July.

Mabuti naman ! So this coming UAAP games La Salle will be having 15 players in its line-up.

cub
06-14-2008, 11:33 AM
i thought 16 is the required players for each school? how about including Ralph Liwag?

Fried Green Tomato
06-14-2008, 06:47 PM
Under the new uaap rule, 16 players per team has been approved as the maximum for a team. But nothing is going to prevent a school for fielding below the required maximum limit,

As of now, we only have 15 players ready for the uaap. Looking at what's happening now, it's becoming apparent that we may have 15 players only come uaap season.

While there maybe some players coming from lsgh & dlsz now studying & from time to time as practice players of the team, there's no decision yet if we're going to elevate 1 player to our uaap team.

Next year, we're going to have a real "Team B" team composing of around 6 to 8 players... it has already been approved and fortunately to be funded by DLSU & Alumni.

izon
06-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Though this is good news, hope some of the aspiring team b players would consider playing for the Blazers.

The_Big_Cat
06-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Though this is good news, hope some of the aspiring team b players would consider playing for the Blazers.

Not a bad choice either.

Galing ni LA Revilla kahapon. If there's one kid who is taking advantage of the team's current injuries, it has to be Revilla. I like his alley-up passes to Rico from time-to-time. Like what he has done with Salva when they were in HS.

Schortsanitis
06-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Hyram Bagatsing, LA Revilla, mukhang suki na ng La Salle ang SBC, a. ;D ;D ;D

Of course, not because SBC missed out on those talents, but because there are also other good players in the pool.

izon
06-15-2008, 03:28 PM
Hyram Bagatsing, LA Revilla, mukhang suki na ng La Salle ang SBC, a.* *;D ;D ;D

Of course, not because SBC missed out on those talents, but because there are also other good players in the pool.*

Hindi naman. Ateneo din.

cub
06-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Mike Baldos, Yuri Escueta, Nico Salva. hmmmmm??? ;D

wesley canlas
06-16-2008, 03:58 AM
Perhaps those kids think they have a better future (in basketball or otherwise) if they transfer.
Who wouldn't want to play in the uaap or study in one of the top schools anyway?
Not everything is all about basketball to everybody.
Just ask Yuri's parents or Nico's mom. :)

Any news re who'll fill the 16th slot?
Dlsu's small guys are injury-prone. Your coach should get either a '1' or a '2'.

Walmart
06-16-2008, 09:08 AM
Bakit ba bigla na lang naglabasan yung mga maaangas na asungot bigla rito?* Kung wala kayong mai contribute na matino kundi mang flamebait, e, mabuti pa mag PEx na lang kayo.* Di uubra kalokohan ninyo rito.

oca
06-16-2008, 09:38 AM
Buti na lang at tapos na ang pre-season. I feared that another 2 or 3 highly competitive games and LA would have been hurt very seriously.

He has been scouted well by now, mas mahihirapan na siya sa pagsimula ng UAAP.

Kid, you got to do something with your open jumpers. Yang katawan mo, I am sure, made-develop din yan and you will eventually have the maskels to match up with most of your counterpart. Pero yung tira sa labas, kahit medium range lang, paglaanan mo nang oras sa lalong madaling panahon.

erichubert
06-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Actually suki na ng UAAP ang San Beda :D

dose
06-16-2008, 12:46 PM
That should be expected because 5 years ago, only San Beda and Ateneo had excellent HS basketball programs. Since the tendency of the eaglets is to stay in Ateneo for college, the rest of the college programs had to scramble for the San Beda graduating HS players.

The situation is very different today. With the advent of televised HS tournaments, a lot of HS basketball programs have improved and became alternative destinations for HS talents, outside of Ateneo and San Beda. LSGH, DLSZ, BIS, Xavier, CKSC, St Stephen, Baste, Letran just to name a few. Now, San Beda no longer has a monopoly of HS talents in the country.

coreytaylor
06-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Actually suki na ng UAAP ang San Beda* :D

sama mo na ang san sebastian ;D

JONAS HAO
06-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Perhaps those kids think they have a better future (in basketball or otherwise) if they transfer.
Who wouldn't want to play in the uaap or study in one of the top schools anyway?

Dlsu's small guys are injury-prone. Your coach should get either a '1' or a '2'.

Your team should get a new coach.

glock23
06-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Buti na lang at tapos na ang pre-season. I feared that another 2 or 3 highly competitive games and LA would have been hurt very seriously.

Kid, you got to do something with your open jumpers. Yang katawan mo, I am sure, made-develop din yan and you will eventually have the maskels to match up with most of your counterpart. Pero yung tira sa labas, kahit medium range lang, paglaanan mo nang oras sa lalong madaling panahon.

Pareng Oca, LA has showed in the game against adamson that he has an outside shot and trust me he practices those even on his own. The kid works extremely hard on his game and come UAAP will be a legit back-up to Atkins at the point. Gaya nga ng sabi mo in a post in another thread...kapag na develop ni la ang tira sa labas eh papaano pa babantayan ang bata....yan ang makikita natin sa july 6. ;)

glock23
06-18-2008, 04:54 PM

Nico's mom only wanted a school close to where they live in cainta. their choice was either UP if eric altamirano was the coach or ateneo. If Nico or his dad Mando had their way alam naman natin kung saan papunta yan. Sayang lang at si misis ang nakasuot ng pantalon sa bahay ng mga Salva. ;D

oca
06-18-2008, 06:25 PM
Para sa akin, wala pa yung game-to-game consistency sa tira niya. Pero I am confident he will have developed that by next season. Kung maipakita niyang nandyan na yan sa July 6, eh di swerte niyo! ;)

Pareng Oca, LA has showed in the game against adamson that he has an outside shot and trust me he practices those even on his own. The kid works extremely hard on his game and come UAAP will be a legit back-up to Atkins at the point. Gaya nga ng sabi mo in a post in another thread...kapag na develop ni la ang tira sa labas eh papaano pa babantayan ang bata....yan ang makikita natin sa july 6. ;)

glock23
06-18-2008, 06:32 PM
Para sa akin, wala pa yung game-to-game consistency sa tira niya. Pero I am confident he will have developed that by next season. Kung maipakita niyang nandyan na yan sa July 6, eh di swerte niyo! ;)

crossing my fingers boss :)

sanlo
06-18-2008, 07:54 PM

Nico's mom only wanted a school close to where they live in cainta. their choice was either UP if eric altamirano was the coach or ateneo. If Nico or his dad Mando had their way alam naman natin kung saan papunta yan. Sayang lang at si misis ang nakasuot ng pantalon sa bahay ng mga Salva.* ;D

I do not mean to intrude but I take offense at the last statement made. The salvas are a family friend and the last statement is not nice at all. Whats done is done. The families have decided where to enroll their children for whatever reason and lets just leave it at that. Time to move on and look forward to the new basketball season.

glock23
06-18-2008, 08:27 PM

Nico's mom only wanted a school close to where they live in cainta. their choice was either UP if eric altamirano was the coach or ateneo. If Nico or his dad Mando had their way alam naman natin kung saan papunta yan. Sayang lang at si misis ang nakasuot ng pantalon sa bahay ng mga Salva. ;D

I do not mean to intrude but I take offense at the last statement made. The salvas are a family friend and the last statement is not nice at all. Whats done is done. The families have decided where to enroll their children for whatever reason and lets just leave it at that. Time to move on and look forward to the new basketball season.

hey who told you life was fair?! the truth hurts and everyone knows that the decision maker in nico's career is the mom! from him bolting out of LSGH to his going to ateneo. If you know them well enough you know how much nico wanted to stay in greenhills and how much mando wanted his son to play under franz pumaren in DLSU. I will only apologize because you took offense to what i said, but you and i know the truth.

sanlo
06-18-2008, 08:47 PM

Nico's mom only wanted a school close to where they live in cainta. their choice was either UP if eric altamirano was the coach or ateneo. If Nico or his dad Mando had their way alam naman natin kung saan papunta yan. Sayang lang at si misis ang nakasuot ng pantalon sa bahay ng mga Salva.* ;D

I do not mean to intrude but I take offense at the last statement made.* The salvas are a family friend and the last statement is not nice at all.* Whats done is done.* The families have decided where to enroll their children for whatever reason and lets just leave it at that.* Time to move on and look forward to the new basketball season.

hey who told you life was fair?! the truth hurts and everyone knows that the decision maker in nico's career is the mom! from him bolting out of LSGH to his going to ateneo. If you know them well enough you know how much nico wanted to stay in greenhills and how much mando wanted his son to play under franz pumaren in DLSU. I will only apologize because you took offense to what i said, but you and i know the truth.

I see...Yes, life is not fair. But didnt our parents try to guide us when we were teenagers? Not everyone knows the truth. And now we know the source of your frustrations. OK lang. Or lets say OK na ako since its not my family you are talking about. I dont want to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

glock23
06-18-2008, 11:36 PM

I see...Yes, life is not fair. But didnt our parents try to guide us when we were teenagers? Not everyone knows the truth. And now we know the source of your frustrations. OK lang. Or lets say OK na ako since its not my family you are talking about. I dont want to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

yes my parents guided me but i was made to make my own decisions. If the decision turned out to be wrong then i was taught to learn from it, thats how to build character. Well nico is in good hands at the ateneo, but my point was that i wished that his decision to have stayed in LSGH and eventually play for dlsu was heeded to by his mom.

madskillz
06-19-2008, 11:20 AM
With the injuries hampering our backcourt, who do you guys think should be our 16th man in the lineup?* Is there any possible recruit that we can get at this point to beef up our backcourt?

I really like Guiao to be included in the team. He has the determination, discipline, perseverance, and dedication to play for DLSU. This kid never stopped practicing on his own. Give him a chance to show his worth, and i'm sure he'll deliver.

Fried Green Tomato
06-19-2008, 11:55 AM
^

I'm very sure that the lsgh bloc within the inner sanctum of DLSU basketball is doing its best to promote one of their own... in the same way the dlsz bloc is doing its best also.

Be it 16 or 15, the final decision is still with coach franz.

bigfreeze_bibby
06-23-2008, 07:45 AM
These are the names that were submitted by the coaching staff to the UAAP eligibility committee. These are 17 names but will be trimmed down to sixteen sometime this week.

Maui Villanueva
Jvee Casio
Simon Atkins
Bader Malabes
Daivd Webb
Rico Maierhofer
PJ Walsham
LA Revilla
Ferdinand
Jovet Mendoza
PeeJay Barua
Hyram Bagatsing
James Mangahas
Marko Batricivic
Rejan Lee
Paolo Rodriguez
Manoj Chandumal

The_Big_Cat
06-23-2008, 08:29 AM
These are the names that were submitted by the coaching staff to the UAAP eligibility committee.* These are 17 names but will be trimmed down to sixteen sometime this week.

Maui Villanueva
Jvee Casio
Simon Atkins
Bader Malabes
Daivd Webb
Rico Maierhofer
PJ Walsham
LA Revilla
Ferdinand
Jovet Mendoza
PeeJay Barua
Hyram Bagatsing
James Mangahas
Marko Batricivic
Rejan Lee
Paolo Rodriguez
Manoj Chandumal

Who are Paolo Rodriguez & Manoj Chandumal?

LION
06-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Manoj Chandumal is Ajeet Singh's teammate in the Fil - Indian Basketball league. Manoj is the reigning MVP, I think.

GHRanger
06-23-2008, 09:39 AM
Manoj Chandumal is Ajeet Singh's teammate in the Fil - Indian Basketball league.* Manoj is the reigning MVP, I think.

Correct.
Manoj also played for DLSZ in 2005.
Paolo is part of DLSU's Team B and comes from LSGH.

kuzma1313
06-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Can i know the height and position of the 2 new players, rodriguez and chandumal?
Thanks alot..

bigfreeze_bibby
06-23-2008, 02:23 PM
Paolo Rodriguez is around 6'2" I guess and plays the small forward and power forward position. I don't have much an idea though with Chandumal since he was not that used when he was playing for DLSZ. But from what others have told me is that he is playing the wing position.

GreenArrows
06-24-2008, 05:12 AM
Manoj is a 6'0" off guard. However, should he make the team and with both Jvee and Simon still out on injuries, it is possible Manoj may play some pg.

glock23
06-24-2008, 05:13 PM
Manoj is a 6'0" off guard. However, should he make the team and with both Jvee and Simon still out on injuries, it is possible Manoj may play some pg.

Guess, with the absence of simon, LA will be our starting PG! Wow thats going to be an awesome baptism of fire for LA to be starting his UAAP career against ateneo!