PDA

View Full Version : Stepladder series Game 1: Ateneo vs. UST

Jump_Shooter
09-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Last year's finals protagonists will have to settle for a 3rd vs. 4th pairing this year, with the winner facing a twice-to-beat La Salle. Ateneo is coming off two tough losses and will only have a day's rest. UST, on the other hand, is always a dangerous opponent.

Both teams split their two elimination-round games, with UST drubbing Ateneo in the first round by 13 points and Ateneo winning at the buzzer thanks to Kirk Long in the second.

So who's your pick? My gut feel tells me it will be UST.

Scout
09-18-2007, 09:36 PM
check

Howard the Duck
09-18-2007, 09:42 PM
Kelan ba talaga ito? ???

aircanda
09-18-2007, 09:52 PM
UST..

bananafrap
09-18-2007, 10:50 PM
may nabasa akong Sunday na daw yung game eh..

a_ron
09-18-2007, 11:24 PM
is it on thurs na..or in da weekend pa..

a_ron
09-18-2007, 11:27 PM
UST will win..for 1 reason Jerby Cruz..

cub
09-18-2007, 11:41 PM
UST will win.. by 4points.. :)

scqg
09-19-2007, 11:06 AM
ateneo has lost 2 straight. i think their moral is down after heartbreaking losses to nu and la salle.

ust is a very scary opponent especially with its monster big guys inside the paint and long armed defenders. ateneo should forget about losing the 2nd spot and focus on beating ust for the right to face la salle.

go ateneo! one big fight!

oca
09-19-2007, 11:17 AM
If Norman Black will be smart and quick enough to make the necessary substitutions, Ateneo can win this one.

In the last two defeats of Ateneo, Black kept Arao too long on court, kept Baclao and Salamat too long on the bench.

Ateneo thrives on execution. But if Black himself can't think smart and straight quick enough, the players don't have much to execute.

As for UST, it is mostly about motivation- of the Jarencio kind.

Pido has an uncanny way of keeping his players calm and loose. Pido can smile and laugh and giggle right in the midst of the action. Ibang klaseng coach. Pero if their's one technical aspect of the game that should favor UST it is Beaujing Acot. This assistant coach is quick to read and react to situations. Mabilis bumulong kay Jarencio and adjustments are immediately signalled to the players without the need to call for a timeout.

fujima04
09-19-2007, 12:10 PM
my gut feel says..it would be UST.

rbin888
09-19-2007, 02:16 PM
this sunday na 23sep ang playoffs ng ust-admu...

i think ust will win this one...

Fried Green Tomato
09-19-2007, 03:02 PM
It depends on who wants it more.

There's always pride in being the defending the crown. UST, whether they ended up last among the finalists, is still the defending champions and they have the momentum going into this game. UST is one tough team when they have the momentum. We have seen it last season and we experienced it during our bridesmaid years.

There's no doubt that Ateneo is hurting after their 2 losses but i do have great respect for the Ateneans when it comes to motivating their players and they have proven it time & time again this season (and in the past).

It's gonna be momentum vs revenge. It's not about the team with the bigger heart but i think the breaks of the game are going to be the difference.

UST has the edge but going into this game, i think ateneo prefers to be the underdog.

But no matter what, we're gonna closely watch the game.

yuck_UE
09-20-2007, 05:22 AM
i'd go with UST. Ateneo has no match with the wingmen of UST. The only Ateneo player I've seen that plays with a lot of heart are Salamat & Baclao. here's my prediction on this seasons outcome

Season 70 Champ
UST or DLSU or Ateneo

robin1212
09-20-2007, 08:44 AM
UST will be tough to beat on Sunday. But Ateneo will go all-out after losing 2 important games in a row. It will be a close game. But whoever wins though, it will just be the first of 3 very tough games on the way to the finals. Waiting for them is the well rested and undefeated UE Red Warriors.

Go USTE!

radonc
09-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Ateneo has been known to pull off near impossible feats (remember Jec Chia)? I think AdMU thrives in these situations with their backs to the wall and being branded as underdogs. It's going to be a toss up and a joy to watch.

eightyfiver
09-22-2007, 05:56 AM
^they are ranked 3rd while UST is 4th. UST is the underdog. Although the ability of this UST is an open secret.

radonc
09-22-2007, 10:05 AM
^they are ranked 3rd while UST is 4th. UST is the underdog. Although the ability of this UST is an open secret.

This time, rankings is thrown in the rubbish bin. UST underachieved in the elims. We know what UST is capable of and Pido has this knack of motivating his players at crunch time ;)

Bossenteng
09-22-2007, 05:50 PM
i think it's UST... they are peaking at the right time... whille on the other hand Ateneo is slowly losing grip of their game. Coach Norman will have to do a lot in motivating his players to play their game and not to lose focus for 40 minutes or more... the leadership factor of Chris Tiu or Ford Arao must also come in during the game tomorrow... as for UST they have the ingredients to go all the way to the championship... it's just a matter of pushing the right buttons at the right time... they are at the peak of their game and they know how it feels to be in this situation... but hey nothing is impossible in the game of basketball... let's all watch the game tomorrow and goodluck to both UST and Ateneo...

eAgLemAn
09-23-2007, 12:46 AM
ANIMO ATENEO

dapat tlaga Ateneo ang manalo dito 4 d ryt 2 face la saLLe,
mganda n rn ang situation pra mkabawi tau s USTE

1bigfayt!

scqg
09-23-2007, 10:38 AM
this game is all about heart and pride. i hope ateneo can overcome the gang rebounders of ust. i'd like to see lattere spend more minutes as we need his rebounding skills. good luck to our boys later! it's now or never! forget about the losses to nu and la salle, it's time to win again!

danabluenana
09-23-2007, 11:28 AM
USTakot. But what the hell. Best of luck to the two teams.
animo ateneo :-*
this game will be won by heart and pride.

canmaker
09-23-2007, 06:00 PM
Revenge is a dish best served cold !!!

Great poise by Ateneo today !!!

scqg
09-23-2007, 06:11 PM
great game by ateneo. we played DEFENSE very well! unbelievable blocks the entire game.

baclao, tiu, salamat stepped up. baldos also surprised us. :D

it's ateneo-la salle all over again!

aircanda
09-23-2007, 11:12 PM
great game kanina..
congrats sa ateneo..
lahat nagstep-up..
great defense dn..
lalo na kay mirza and cuan..

eightyfiver
09-24-2007, 06:02 AM
Congrats Ateneo! Great team effort.

Nothing to be ashamed Tigers. We know you did your best.

Good luck to all the remaining teams.

Bossenteng
09-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Someone wrote on this thread that Ateneo is the best coached team in the UAAP... the game yesterday just proved that point. Ateneo stuck to its game plan and Norman Black did a masterful job of motivating the players from the tip-off to the final buzzer. The players responded well to the call of their coach to stay focused for 40 minutes. UST surprised Ateneo with a 2-3 zone at the start and Norman adjusted the offense quickly by putting in the shooters in Chris Tiu and Kirk Long. Ateneo employed the same defense (2-3) to UST and the Tigers were not able to respond that is why Jervy Cruz's points were limited especially with an unforgiving zone emplyed by the Eagles. The shooters (Mirza and Espiritu) of UST had a hard time getting off the man-to-man defense of Ateneo. The boys of coach Pido Jarencio did not respond well to his call of toughness during the playoffs - a mark that they have left after they won the championship last year.

Chris Tiu and Ford Arao were superb in their leadership on and off the court. Their focus and hard work on the court have inspired their teammates (Salamat, Escueta, Lattere, Baldos, Baclao) to perform to their level of play.

Congratulations to Ateneo! Beat DLSU!

pablohoney
09-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Congratulations to the Ateneo Blue Eagles.
They showed more compusure and toughness in the stretch.
Kudos to the coaching staff as well, for making the necessary adjustments.

To my beloved UST Growling Tigers....
The season may be over for us. We hae a full year to get ready for next season.
There is time to lick our wounds, and our wounded pride.
This should make you stronger, tougher and better.
There are a lot of lessons learned here.

We will be back.
We shall be back.

Thank you, Blue Eagles, for a wonderful game.
Truly, a worthy opponent.

PS: The game brought the amongst some of us... sadly, it could not be said the same for some of us Thomasians...
My apologies for that unfortunate incident.
We sure looked like sore-losers there.

Good luck to the Eagles, the Archers, and the Red Warriors.
Sadly, we will just be mere spectators as the battle rages on.
Well.. there's always next season. ;)

toti_mendiola
09-24-2007, 05:58 PM
Great basketball yesterday by both Ateneo Blue Eagles and the defending champs UST Growling Tigers.

There will always be next year for bchoter et.al.'s boys. Lintik ang balik ng mga iyan panigurado.
Congratulations Ateneo, may yesterdays win over the defending champs carry you to this years UAAP championship.

a_ron
09-24-2007, 06:35 PM
TSAMBA lng yun.................Go USTE............

Howard the Duck
09-24-2007, 07:33 PM
TSAMBA lng yun.................Go USTE............

tsamba nga eh panalo naman... eh di wala rin :-\

shyboy
09-25-2007, 12:27 PM
From the Philippine Star:

Host urges schools to police ranks

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Host University of Santo Tomas yesterday called on the last three member schools vying for the UAAP men’s basketball championship to observe proper decorum and order their fans to behave during the conduct of the remaining games.

Secretary-treasurer Felicitas Francisco, alarmed by off-court incidents of late, is appealing to the leaders of the University of the East, Ateneo and La Salle to ask their supporters to show “good behavior in the last two weeks of the tournament.”

Commissioner Ed Cordero and an Ateneo fan had to be extricated at the end of the Ateneo-Santo Tomas knockout game last Sunday after the Ateneo alumnus taunted Cordero while he and his crew were leaving the playing court.

“There are some alumni who really don’t behave the way they have been educated,” Francisco said. “Let these (basketball) games be an avenue for further camaraderie among schools, their alumni and students, not for hooliganism.”

Cordero had identified the heckler and will write the UAAP board this week to ask that the person be banned from sitting near courtside. Francisco believes that Cordero has a case.

Francisco was also infuriated when some Santo Tomas faculty members who had purchased tickets belonging to Ateneo’s side of the Big Dome were asked to “leave by fans of the other school when the game had started.”

Incidentally, Francisco’s call comes on the heels of the technical committee’s reminder to La Salle officials to address this problem after La Sallites were seen applauding Brian Ilad after he was ejected after punching UE’s Mark Fampulme last week.