PDA

View Full Version : WHY I WATCH THE GAMES LIVE

Out_Of_The_Blue
09-12-2007, 01:44 PM
Got this from Cackler's column, Crab Mentality, in the Gameface.ph homepage link: http://www.gameface.ph/columns/cackler_column.htm

Interesting read. Cack, mukhang may patama ka dito ah! He he he!

To LaSallite T.A. Sr.: OUCH!!!!!!*

WHY I WATCH THE GAMES LIVE

by Cackler for Gameface.ph (9/12/07)

“Why do you watch basketball games? For that matter why do you watch them live? Isn’t it more comfortable to watch on your wide screen plasma-thing HD TV at home where you can have a beer, grab a snack, yell and curse and scream all you want? Heck you could even watch it butt-naked?”

These and other inane questions have often been asked of me by many people, both the dumb and the dumber. I tell them the same thing: nothing beats the experience of watching a ball game live, especially UAAP basketball, and most especially the legendary Ateneo-Lasalle encounters. Why even non-Ateneo and non-Lasalle people are drawn to this, the most celebrated of Philippine sports rivalries.

There is just something so electric, so primal about being in the din and roar of a UAAP game. Being among some 20,000 fans, every one cheering, jeering, heckling and hackling is truly a life-defining experience. For some, especially those who have to live most of the week with the pollution, the congestion, the traffic and the grime of downtown Manila, they say it is even better than sex.

Kidding aside, ask any true basketball fan in our country and they will all say the same thing. Given a chance, would you watch an Ateneo-Lasalle game live or on TV? 11 out of 10 times they would say “LIVE!” No hesitation, no stammering, not even the hint of a doubt. Ask them again, “Even if you are neither Atenista nor Lasalista?” Same answer; the game is the thing, the feeling of being right in the middle of another chapter in a storied rivalry.

Iba ang nandun ka mismo. Damang-dama mo ang pressure, at siempre ang lulutong, ang lulupit ng murahan, kantiyawan at alaskahan.

Any true blue basketball fan would know precisely what I am talking about. All of the murahan, kantiyawan and alaskahan are part and parcel of any great game, as much as the game itself. If you do not have the constitution to stomach the pressure, the taunts, the heckling and jeering, then I suggest you really do just watch at home. Or better yet, don’t watch at all, basketball is so obviously not your thing. Do you think Toyota-Crispa and Ginebra-Tanduay games became legend because they were like cotillions? Of course not! They were down and dirty affairs from the action on the court all the way to the fans in the stands!

How on earth could you credibly call yourself a true basketball fan, or worse, a true Ateneo or Lasalle fan, if you cannot take the action in the stands? This is not Wimbledon, not the Augusta Masters; there aren’t any umpires or minders telling the spectators to be “quiet please, thank you.”

And it isn’t just verbal tussles we speak of here. Fans across the decades have even gone to the extent of using the printed word, on t-shirts, posters, flags, tarps and banners. Sometimes they say the most off-color things. Sometimes they remind the other side of certain embarrassments. If you cannot stand this, if this is something that raises your hackles, then you obviously should not be watching these games.* *

Take for example this guy who is supposedly so into varsity basketball. This LaSallite writer, in his column in another website, seems to have a very thin skin. Part of the fun of watching games live is the highly charged atmosphere that includes (surprise!) cheers, jeers, heckles and hackles. To single out this particular incident, this so-called "Suspended Banners" episode, as if it was the height of boorishness and churlish behavior, highlights only one thing: his inability and immaturity to take them. But then again, coming from the Christian Gentleman's school that has been directly involved in things which can be kindly described as un-Christian (oops, there's that word again)* such as fielding ineligible players and having one of its other players arrested on game fixing and gambling, his word especially on proper behavior carries little currency.

Last I looked at the 1987 Constitution was still in full force and effect, and its Article III still protects and guarantees the right of those people carrying that banner to carry and display it. If he thinks that he has a justiciable action then by all means sue these people, sue Ateneo itself, for defamation or whatever else he thinks is right and proper. I highly doubt if any court will even give him the time of day.

Everything, as they say, must be in proper context.

Raucous and rowdy behavior is not something tolerated in golf and tennis for obvious reasons. But in football, soccer, boxing, and yes, basketball, standing up, cheering wildly, and yes again, hurling the vilest of insults and heaping the most egregious scorn upon the other side is par for the course.

There is such a thing as too much, and enough being enough; but again, context. In a crowd of 15,000-plus fans, all roiling like some tumultuous ocean, (as is often the case in my northern fishing grounds) where exactly do we draw the line? What constitutes “too much?”

Honestly I feel the pain of those on the losing side, especially with all the effort they expend finding the best high school equivalency failures to play for them. It takes a special kind of philanthropist to give kids like that a chance to get a diploma that is almost as good as the real thing given to those who actually attend class.

Let us please get real though: being thin-skinned in a basketball game is akin to taking a dive in shark-infested waters when you know you have a bleeding wound; or like walking around with a solid gold Rolex in Central Park at 2 AM; or building a $10 million mansion along the San Andreas Fault.

Or perhaps accosting some one just because they waved a banner stating a widely-known fact after your side lost a basketball game… *

Ghostrider
09-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Aray!

Yan kasi, turo ng turo, di naman nililinis ang sariling bakuran. :-X

Sabi nga ni Pareng Joey, "Explain before you complain"

Mga issues na wala pang linaw: PEP test, gamefixing scandal, low graduation percentage of players and why some players have diplomas from a sister school.

pablohoney
09-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Curious lang ako.
Sino ang writer na tinutukoy sa article?

Sam Miguel
09-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Obviously Tony Atayde.

mabelle_dj
09-15-2007, 06:48 PM
I watch the games live because of the loud constant cheering! Mas masaya pag maraming kasabay mag-cheer.* At home, my folks just look at me weird and try to shush me every 15 minutes. :p

Out_Of_The_Blue
09-17-2007, 08:55 AM
Part 2 of Cackler's article which was published yesterday in the Gameface.ph homepage: http://www.gameface.ph/columns/cackler_column2.htm

Crab Mentality

WHY I WATCH THE GAMES LIVE (Part 2)
By Cackler for Gameface.ph (9/16/07)

It could have been a crime scene, one of those things you see on the cop shows or lawyer shows on TV.

Officer: “Can you tell us what happened?”
Player in Red: “My teammate got taken down by that *&^%$#@”
Officer: “Just the facts please.”
Red: “He hampasized my teammate!”
Officer: “Then what happened?”
Red: “I am giving him facial, making angas in his face.”
Officer: “I see. Then what happened?”
Red: “One of his kakampi who is hugot made sapok me from the behind.”
Officer: “Did you see who it was?”
Red: “No…”
Officer: “How did you know it was one of them then?”
Red: “Basta! Because he is hugot only, not really from their school, in their school they have DIGNITY. Hugot do not DIGNITY, not counted!”
Officer: “But I thought the guy who hampasized your teammate is also hugot? So he has no dignity either?”
Red: “Ah ewan! Basta someone wrote they have DIGNITY in that school, so only those that school, hugot not counted!”
Officer: “Anything else?”
Red: “Yes, some people in green make sigaw to me that I am squakking and jologs during our laro, so I guess they are also hugot, only wearing green kunwari but no dignity din.”

I mentioned in a previous column that a big part of the allure of watching basketball games live is “Iba ang nandun ka mismo. Damang-dama mo ang pressure, at siempre ang lulutong, ang lulupit ng murahan, kantiyawan at alaskahan.” Of course all of this murahan, kantiyawan at alaskahan sometimes has led to actions not totally unrelated to the game of basketball, i.e. fights on and off the court.

But since I am of course a typical Filipino basketball fanatic and hardcore hoops junkie (to borrow Sam Miguel’s favorite baller phrase) I look forward to a little bit of basketball-related fisticuffs. Honestly now, for those of us who grew up playing the game, whether it is just at the lowly barangay liga or even at some varsity or professional level, fights are not something out of the ordinary.

Contrary to popular belief, basketball is indeed a highly physical and very rough sport, and the higher the level of play the more physical, rough and tough it gets. Ask Manu Ginobili of Argentina or Yao Ming of China which is rougher, a FIBA tournament or an NBA playoff game, and they will tell you its FIBA hands down, regardless of the ML Carrs and Dennis Rodmans of the NBA. UAAP stars who make it to the PBA learn the hard way: never set a back pick.

On the other hand, I only hope that the other fans who were watching the game were not offended by this incident. If that guy who is easily offended by a banner making a statement of fact was watching he must have had a nervous breakdown. After all, what could be a more telling manifestation of a breakdown in dignity then hitting a player in the back like some common thug? It was, in the language of lawyers, pregnant with treachery and malicious intent.

No matter from what angle it was replayed, it was clear that the punch was not just thrown, it was thrown with a full intent to inflict mayhem and pain from behind. In the words of the TV panel “Bumwelo pa!” And to think the player who threw the punch was not involved in the play that led to the incident, was not even on the floor at the time, and was just sitting on their bench.

I certainly hope if he ever runs into the guy who puts such a high premium on dignity in their school that he apologizes sincerely and wholeheartedly for such a vehemently undignified act.

Otherwise Mr. Dignity might start a petition to have him removed from the lineup for lack of dignity.

jayverns
09-17-2007, 10:00 PM
I watch the games live because of the loud constant cheering!* Mas masaya pag maraming kasabay mag-cheer.* At home, my folks just look at me weird and try to shush me every 15 minutes. :p

i agree! iba pa rin talaga yung feeling kapag nandun ka mismo sa game, mas exciting at mas nakakakaba.

Howard the Duck
09-17-2007, 10:13 PM
parang labanan ng college hoops websites ito ah :D

gameface_one
09-26-2007, 09:18 AM
Passion very high in college leagues

ED PICSON
mb.com.ph

The stories rivalry between Ateneo de Manila and De La Salle University goes back a long way.

No one seems to remember how it started or why, but students and alumni of both schools reserve their most venomous comments for each other.

Now comes the NCAA championship series between two other revered institutions of learning, San Beda College and the Colegio de San Juan de Letran. This is also a story that had its beginnings many decades back.

Inevitably, as the rivalries involve raging hormones of students and athletes, it could sometimes degenerate into mayhem. However, alumni of all these schools are just as passionate when cheering for their teams.

But in board rooms, coffee shops and barber shops, or any other place where alumni of different schools congregate, there is bound to be arguments as to whose school is better, who has the more prominent alumni, and of course, the better basketball team. Most of it is good-natured, but some people have not gotten rid of those nasty hormones and at times the ribbings take on a sour note.

In recent times however, it has been observed that the following of the UAAP and the NCAA has transcended school loyalties and has infected even those not involved in any of the schools who are vying for honor and glory.

It seems the collegiate leagues have captured the fancy of the ordinary basketball fan, owing perhaps to the infectious intensity of the people involved, as well as the non-stop action and tireless grit of young players who go at it as if family honor was at stake. And perhaps it is, in some cases.

In an overheard conversation recently, a group of middle-aged gentlemen in a golf clubhouse were animatedly discussing the recent UST-Ateneo game where the Blue Eagles defanged the Tigers, 69-64, to earn the right to face their arch-enemy De La Salle for a chance to play in the Finals against undefeated University of the East.

The names Baclao, Arao, Tiu, and Salamat flew around together with Cruz, Canlas, Ababou and Mirza as if the discussion was of players who are established veterans of the sport.

One gentleman, who professed his inclination towards Ateneo even though he traces his educational roots to Mapua, even went as far as to offer a bit of trivia which he claims gives one a sense of déjà vu.

"Remember the year 2002?", he starts dramatically. "The Ateneo team which had Rico Villanueva, Rich Alvarez, Larry Fonacier, Jec Chia et al, had to get past the UE Warriors (James Yap, Paul Artadi, Nino Canaleta, etc.) twice to get to the finals. There they faced La Salle (Mike Cortez, Mac Cardona, Carlo Sharma among others) whom they eventually defeated. Ateneo was UAAP champion that year, after a long hiatus. This year, the Blue Eagles have to get past the Archers twice to face the Warriors in the championship. Déjà vu, di ba?"

Quite the theory but the Ateneans still have to beat the Archers twice. And if they succeed, they will have to stop the 14-game undefeated streak of Dindo Pumaren’s boys.

The San Beda-Letran tiff has been revived after it languished in some now-geriatric minds for over 50 years. The last time the two schools met was in 1950 when Letran, led by the legendary Lauro Mumar, demolished the Red Lions for the NCAA championship. The Bedans are one up in their current best of three series, but the Muralla boys have a tradition to uphold and cannot be counted out.

This time however, there is more than just school pride and tradition at stake. The general public has gotten into the thick of things and they hunger for more of the kind of lung-busting action that the collegiate leagues dish out. Throw in the orgiastic frenzy of the crowd made up of beautiful young people of either sex, and the formula is complete for an afternoon of nail-biting and wild bravado in front of the boob tube.

Letran-San Beda, Ateneo-La Salle, UE-Ateneo or UE-La Salle, the public has decided it will lap it up. But what happens after the college leagues are done for the year?

Could the professional and other leagues pick up the slack and learn a thing or two from the kind of raw entertainment that the collegiate leagues serve up? They certainly can use it.

And so can the basketball fans.

bluestorck
09-26-2007, 04:58 PM
mas exciting pag live nanunuod ....its great cheering with people you hardly know,and then swap high fives after a good game!.at iba ang school spirit!.... ;D

mabelle_dj
09-26-2007, 08:05 PM
- watching the game brings me back to my college days. it's like being a student all over again. for two hours I don't have to worry about work/money/deadlines. that's two blissful hours of pure unadulterated basketball fun!

- ang daming beautiful people sa ateneo side when you watch the game live. so feeling ko beautiful din ako. :D

- nothing beats singing Song for Mary at the end of a game. it's just not the same when you're doing it from your living room.

nastrans
09-27-2007, 08:46 PM
Buti pa sa UAAP and NCAA madaming sumusuporta talaga, I guess tradition na rin and yes television can speak for it.

Unlike sa amin sa minor leagues like UCAA, NCRAA, and even NAASCU konti talaga, walang paki, binibigyan ng plus sa attendance, o minsan overshadowed na mga sister schools sa main school (tulad namin :() kaya medyo simple ang buhay sa mga ligang ito. Anyway, it's still a nice thing to see some EAC, STI, ACSAT fans posting in forums like this to support their teams.

gameface_one
10-01-2007, 06:53 AM
Ateneo-La Salle: Too big for Philippines
THE GAME OF MY LIFE By Bill Velasco
Monday, October 1, 2007
Philstar.com

On Sept. 23, the New York Times published an article on the rivalry between Ateneo de Manila and De La Salle, written by Fulbright scholar Raphael Bartholomew, a graduate of Northwestern who earned a grant to come to the Philippines in November 2005, to write a book about basketball. Almost before he was off the plane, he was bombarded about comments on the most compelling rivalry in Philippine sports.

“People said, ‘You haven’t seen anything untIl you’ve seen La Salle-Ateneo,’” explains the 6’4” Bartholomew, who played basketball for Northwestern. “They said that the games were so intense, and people from all levels of society were so loud, they were just losing it, and the stadium would be packed beyond belief.”

According to Vic Sison of the Ateneo Sports Hall of Fame (ASHOF), the rivalry began even before the 1930’s, when members of high society studied at what were considered the best schools in the country.

“You became a La Salle alumnus, and your children will go to school, and your grandchildren will follow,” explained Sison, who himself is enshrined in the ASHOF as an outstanding football player. “The same with Ateneo.”

The good-natured ribbing that followed defeat of one school at the hands of the other school pricked the pride of the members of the alta sociedad, and it became increasingly unacceptable to lose.

“The competition became very strong because these people were very close together,” he adds. “They belonged to the same social strata. They mingled with one another in business and other affairs. And when it came to sports competition, it was the best against the best.”

In the 1950’s, things picked up a notch, as both schools used their intellect to craft cheers that played up their school’s attributes, while subtlely (or often not so subtlely) degrading the other’s.

“It was building competition, not only on the playing floor, on the playing field, but in the stands,” Sison elaborates. “Every time Ateneo and La Salle would play each other – in whatever sport – where there was an audience represented by both schools, there would be that build-up of intense emotion.”

Despite the absence of the rivalry for over a decade when Ateneo left the NCAA to join the UAAP, today’s game has actually amplified the one-upmanship. Now, every Ateneo-La Salle game is on the evening news, in the morning papers, and bannering Internet headlines round the clock. After a year of waiting, Rafe Bartholomew finally got his first taste ot the blue-green war this July.

“Senators, foreign diplomats, Cabinet ministers, a smattering of Forbes’s 40 richest Filipinos, movie stars and enough professional basketball players to play five-on-five. They are the elite of Philippine society, and they all gather at Araneta Coliseum in Quezon City to watch the men’s basketball rivalry between the universities Ateneo de Manila and De La Salle,” Bartholomew wrote in the New York Times. He also characterized the teams’ contrasting images: the Green Archers with their shaved heads, tattoos and attitude, and the Blue Eagles with their clean-cut, good boy image, which also fueled the animosity between them.

“I think it has exceeded expectations,” Bartholomew gushed. “The noise, the crowd, everybody moving together, and at the end of the games, pumping their fists and singing the school songs. Nothing could have prepared me for it. There’s really no way to explain it without experiencing it. People are so passionate, they’re screaming for every pass, every tip. Not just every score. They’re celebrating possessions. It’s something I’ve never seen before anywhere.”

And with the first four games having been decided by a total of just seven points, the quality and unpredictability of the games has been heightened.

“The games have become more physical, faster and more technical,” Sison says. “The players are bigger, and the quality has improved. And when the quality of the games improve, the passion in the rivalry improves with it.”

“It doesn’t matter if one team seems weak on paper,” Bartholomew reflects. “Even if one team doesn’t have its usual squad. You can throw all the records out the window. If it’s a La Salle-Ateneo game, you don’t know what’s going to happen.”

And according to Sison, it’s a passion that will never die out.

“When you leave an Atenean and a La Sallite in a room together, one will always think that he is number one, and the other is number two. They simply refuse to lose to each other. It’s as simple as that.”

Truer words were never spoken