2:30 PM EAC VS DLSU-D

SEPTEMBER 10 MONDAY OLIVAREZ SPORTS COMPLEX

10:00 AM PSBA VS ACSAT
11:30 AM UCN VS LPC
1:00 PM SFAC VS EAC
2:30 PM DLSU-D VS OC

anghusay
07-13-2007, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the info. Where is the Aguilar Sports Complex? 2 playdates at The Arena in San Juan, the UCAA is moving up. Do you have lineups for the teams?

nastrans
07-14-2007, 05:39 PM
Aguilar Sports Complex is located in Pilar Village in Las Pinas City. Kung bababa kayo sa SM Southmall, you will have to walk inside the mall at lalabas kayo sa likod pwede kayong sumakay ng jeep at sabihin nyo sa Aguilar Complex kayo.

At quite surprising may LPC na sa UCAA, may Battle of Las Pinas na pala kung nagkataon.

AnthonyServinio
07-15-2007, 12:49 AM
At quite surprising may LPC na sa UCAA, may Battle of Las Pinas na pala kung nagkataon.

* * *IF I'm not mistaken, newcomer Universal College of Nursing (UCN) is located along Sucat Road and very near Olivarez College so there will also be a war for Paranaque.

MykelV
07-17-2007, 07:40 AM
Watch out for the ACSAT Lightnings this year!!!

LIGHTNINGS RULE!!!

anghusay
07-17-2007, 05:33 PM
the lightnings will practically have the same team as last year plius another year of experince. they will be however minus welland munoz who has used up his eligibility. acsat finished a respectably 3rd place last year considering it is only their second year in the league.

other teams to look out for will be the eac generals who have 6'9 indonesia transferee from perpetual, plus old reliables nico hubalde, manansala and the comebacking bong melocoton. the sfac doves are always perennial contenders. dark horse teams for me are las pinas college, psba, and olivarez college.

lets wait for anthony severino to post the complete lineups.

Opening Day for the 6th UCAA season is on August 25

nastrans
07-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Can General explain as to how the Indonesian guy from UPHDS moved to EAC?

gameface_one
07-17-2007, 08:20 PM
^^^^better if you post this on the specific thread in the EAC forum.

anghusay
07-18-2007, 07:24 AM
i'm also wondering why there are no games scheduled at the EAC gym. Also what is the exact address and how do you get to the aguilar gym by car?

The General
07-18-2007, 04:34 PM
Can General explain as to how the Indonesian guy from UPHDS moved to EAC?

isman thoyib was not allowed to play in the ncaa this year after completing his residency requirements. according to the by laws of ncaa, if an athlete played in any commercial league prior to the ncaa will be banned from playing.

the ucaa and ncraa rules, states that no athletes should have played in the pbl or afp prior to playing to the ucaa or ncraa.

thoyib can play in our league.

nastrans
07-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Pero tanung papano ninyo kagad napaenroll at papano siya nalipat from UPHDS to EAC? I think this should be discussed as to how easy Isman was transfered in one fell swoop, there has to be a detailed information about this.

anghusay
07-19-2007, 04:40 AM
correct me if i'm wrong but thoyib was not allowed to play in the ncaa because he played in a commercial league in indonesia? ncaa rules does not allow playing in a commercial league prior to joining the ncaa. i think that the same goes with the ucaa.

MykelV
07-19-2007, 10:18 AM
Yes the Lightnings will be without welland munoz but i hear they have 4 new additions and all 4 are pretty good. Ive watched them in the Fr Martins Summer league and i think they have a good chance of taking home the trophy this year. Lets just wait and see.

yes the rules in the UCAA also do not allow players who have played in commercial leagues prior to joining the UCAA.

Lightnings all the way.

anghusay
07-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Yes the Lightnings will be without welland munoz but i hear they have 4 new additions and all 4 are pretty good. Ive watched them in the Fr Martins Summer league and i think they have a good chance of taking home the trophy this year. Lets just wait and see.

yes the rules in the UCAA also do not allow players who have played in commercial leagues prior to joining the UCAA.

Lightnings all the way.

who were the Lightnings' opponent in the FMC when you watched them play?

Any news about SFAC? Coach Gabby is still suspended for the whole of the 6th season.

nastrans
07-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Yes, two-year ban si Coach Gabby thanks to an attempt punch at an official after a game in DLSU-D, nasa malayuan pa ako nung nakita ko. ;D

The General
07-20-2007, 02:51 PM
Pero tanung papano ninyo kagad napaenroll at papano siya nalipat from UPHDS to EAC? I think this should be discussed as to how easy Isman was transfered in one fell swoop, there has to be a detailed information about this.

due to an extended stay in jakarta, isman thoyib will enroll in the 2nd semester.he was not able to accomplish the requierements to enroll in eac. he will be coming back middle of september.
his uphr papers are still pending.... so there you go.. isman will not play in the ucaa

MykelV
07-21-2007, 10:33 AM
I saw acsat play against arellano U and Letran. They lost by less than six points on both games if m not mistaken.

anghusay
07-25-2007, 09:23 AM
The EAC Generals will go up against UCAA and NCRAA rival the ACSAT Lightnings on Saturday July 28, 2007.* This is a tune up match but expect both schools to go all out for the win and a psychological advantage going into the UCAA season next month.* Game time is 8pm at the EAC sports complex.* Good luck to both teams.

anghusay
07-29-2007, 06:20 AM
ACSAT prevails over EAC in pre-season tournament

It was supposed to be a pre-season tournament. However, with the way the ACSAT Lightnings and the EAC Generals played one would think that it was game three of the UCAA finals. Leading most of the way during the game, the Asian College of Science and Technology Lightnings defeated a hard fighting and very physical Emilio Aguinaldo College Generals squad 76-67 at the EAC sports center.

The Lightnings started very strong leading 20-10 as the Generals were assessed 3 flagrant fouls in the first quarter, with ACSAT guard Angel Quilaquiga scoring on all 6 free throw attempts. However, the Generals tightened their defense in the second canto which allowed them to score 10 straight points to tie the score at 20-all. Come backing Bong Melocoton scored heavily in this decisive run wherein he used his veterans smarts to outplay whoever was guarding him. Hallftime score was 33 to 28 in favor of the Lightnings.

The third quarter saw the Generals take the lead for the first time however ACSAT big man(don't know his name yet) number 5 scored 9 straight points including a three point basket to put the Lightnings ahead. This was further punctuated by a buzzer beating 3-point basket by ACSAT reserve point guard Nelson Nuñal to peg the score at 58-50.

The fourth quarter was very physical as both teams were call for flagrant fouls. A free for all almost broke out during the dying seconds of the game when ACSAT forward DR Contreras was punched in the mouth. The Generals have slew of new players which included very athletic guards and wingmen notably number 7. They also paraded an Iranian player(number eight) who can drive or post up, grab rebounds and hit free throws. This season EAC will definitely rely heavily on Bong Melecoton as he is the only veteran on the team with the departure of Ronjay Buenafe, and Gester Ebuen.

MykelV
08-02-2007, 08:05 AM
I hate to say this guys but i told you ACSAT got good new recruits... Did you see their new 6'7" player Saguitan... And ACSAT wasnt even with their main point guard Harvey Igtos.

I know its too early and the season hasnt started but ive said it before and ill say it again... i really think ACSAT has a good chance of going all the way this year.

Go Lightnings!!!

christian
08-02-2007, 09:31 AM
Eric Suguitan?

anghusay
08-02-2007, 09:14 PM
I wonder why Bong Melocoton didn't see action last year for the Generals.* Hubalde and Manansala didn't play for EAC last Saturday versus the Lightnings.

Opening Day for the 6th UCAA season is on August 25 at the Arena in San Juan

anghusay
08-02-2007, 09:55 PM

It was supposed to be a pre-season tournament.* However, with the way the ACSAT Lightnings and the EAC Generals played one would think that it was game three of the UCAA finals.* Leading most of the way during the game, the Asian College of Science and Technology Lightnings defeated a hard fighting and very physical Emilio Aguinaldo College Generals squad 76-67 at the EAC sports center.

The Lightnings started very strong leading 20-10 as the Generals were assessed 3 flagrant fouls in the first quarter, with ACSAT guard Angel Quilaquiga scoring on all 6 free throw attempts.* However, the Generals tightened their defense in the second canto which allowed them to score 10 straight points to tie the score at 20-all.* Come backing Bong Melocoton scored heavily in this decisive run wherein he used his veterans smarts to outplay whoever was guarding him.* Hallftime score was 33 to 28 in favor of the Lightnings.

The third quarter saw the Generals take the lead for the first time however ACSAT big man(don't know his name yet) number 5 scored 9 straight points including a three point basket to put the Lightnings ahead.* This was further punctuated by a buzzer beating 3-point basket by ACSAT reserve point guard Nelson Nuñal to peg the score at 58-50.

The fourth quarter was very physical as both teams were call for flagrant fouls.* A free for all almost broke out during the dying seconds of the game when ACSAT forward DR Contreras was punched in the mouth.* The Generals have slew of new players which included very athletic guards and wingmen notably number 7.* They also paraded an Iranian player(number eight) who can drive or post up, grab rebounds and hit free throws.* This season EAC will definitely rely heavily on Bong Melecoton as he is* the only veteran on the team with the departure of Ronjay Buenafe, and Gester Ebuen.

anghusay
08-02-2007, 09:56 PM

It was supposed to be a pre-season tournament.* However, with the way the ACSAT Lightnings and the EAC Generals played one would think that it was game three of the UCAA finals.* Leading most of the way during the game, the Asian College of Science and Technology Lightnings defeated a hard fighting and very physical Emilio Aguinaldo College Generals squad 76-67 at the EAC sports center.

The Lightnings started very strong leading 20-10 as the Generals were assessed 3 flagrant fouls in the first quarter, with ACSAT guard Angel Quilaquiga scoring on all 6 free throw attempts.* However, the Generals tightened their defense in the second canto which allowed them to score 10 straight points to tie the score at 20-all.* Come backing Bong Melocoton scored heavily in this decisive run wherein he used his veterans smarts to outplay whoever was guarding him.* Hallftime score was 33 to 28 in favor of the Lightnings.

The third quarter saw the Generals take the lead for the first time however ACSAT big man(don't know his name yet) number 5 scored 9 straight points including a three point basket to put the Lightnings ahead.* This was further punctuated by a buzzer beating 3-point basket by ACSAT reserve point guard Nelson Nuñal to peg the score at 58-50.

The fourth quarter was very physical as both teams were call for flagrant fouls.* A free for all almost broke out during the dying seconds of the game when ACSAT forward DR Contreras was punched in the mouth.* The Generals have slew of new players which included very athletic guards and wingmen notably number 7.* They also paraded an Iranian player(number eight) who can drive or post up, grab rebounds and hit free throws.* This season EAC will definitely rely heavily on Bong Melecoton as he is* the only veteran on the team with the departure of Ronjay Buenafe, and Gester Ebuen.

anghusay
08-04-2007, 09:07 PM
MBL: Lightnings strike again

ACSAT rode on the heroics of Nicholas Pupos to edge Rusty Lopez, 70-68 and join 3T Corporation in the lead in the 2007 MBL Open basketball tournament at the UM gym.* Pupos, a 6-0 find from Cagayan de Oro City, drove to the basket against four Rusty Lopez defenders and hit the marginal basket as time expired.

Pupos' basket came after two-time PBL MVP Jason Castro was whistled for a traveling violation with 34 seconds left and the score tied at 68-all.

The win enabled ACSAT to tie 3T Corp. for the lead with identical 4-1 win-loss slates in this tournament sponsored by Dickies Underwear, Wild Man Sandals and Slippers, PRC Couriers, Big Boy Restaurant and Boulevard Mansion.

Pupos finished with 24 points and two other players also scored in double figures for ACSAT of coach Ricky Alcantara and Chad Mallari.

Rey Burgos added 11 and Allan Recla contributed 10 for the Lightnings.* Ramon Retaga carried the fight for Rusty Lopez with 17 points, followed by Beau Belga with 10 and Castro with nine.

Retaga nailed back-to-back triples as Rusty Lopez of coach Daniel Espaldon and manager Gil Flororita rallied from a 56-63 deficit to threaten at 63-62.* A short jumper by Castro later tied the score at 68-all with only 40 seconds remaining.

ACSAT (70) -- Pupos 24, Burgos 11, Recla 10, Bularon 8, Suguitan 7, Jabaybay 6, Lapuz 2, Dela Pena 2, Contreras 0, Poblete 0, Casil 0.

Rusty Lopez (68) -- Retaga 17, Belga 10, Castro 9, Flores 8, Diaz 6, Pinera 6, Khalili 5, Alforque 4, Jimenez 3, Manabat 0, Villarta 0.

Quarterscores 21-13, 35-33, 51-47, 70-68

Opening day for the 6th UCAA season in on August 25 at the Arena in San Juan

The General
08-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Eric Suguitan?

Eric Suguitan once played for UE warriors in 2003. he moved to san beda and played in pre season tournaments like the nike summer league last 2006.

moving to acsat would require him to undergo residency based on the general requirements and qualifications # 4 a transferee student who is officially listed in the official line-up of the uaap , ncaa, cusa, wncaa, naascu and ucaa shall be allowed to play in the ucaa provided that he or she has established a one year residency.

i wonder if acsat knows that eric played for ue warriors in 2003. or does management of acsat knows that despite eric played 4 years ago for ue warriors he can just get away with the residency requirements....

:'(

The General
08-05-2007, 08:56 PM
I wonder why Bong Melocoton didn't see action last year for the Generals.* Hubalde and Manansala didn't play for EAC last Saturday versus the Lightnings.*

bong played in the ucaa 2006 last year, he didnt play in the ncraa for exhausting his 5 years in the league.
hubalde and manansala didnt play due to injuries. gester ebuen (of sista)is in brunei to play briefly in brunei. ::)

anghusay
08-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Eric Suguitan?

Eric Suguitan once played for UE warriors in 2003. he moved to san beda and played in pre season tournaments like the nike summer league last 2006.

moving to acsat would require him to undergo residency based on the general requirements and qualifications # 4 a transferee student who is officially listed in the official line-up of the uaap , ncaa, cusa, wncaa, naascu and ucaa shall be allowed to play in the ucaa provided that he or she has established a one year residency.

i wonder if acsat knows that eric played for ue warriors in 2003. or does management of acsat knows that despite eric played 4 years ago for ue warriors he can just get away with the residency requirements....

:'(

what's the rule on transferees from other leagues in the UCAA? If you were in the Team A lineup the previous year and then you transfer you would have a one-year residency period before you can play. Does the same rule apply if you were in the Team A line up but not from the previous year? Team A means that you were in the lineup of your school that competed in the UAAP, NCAA?

MykelV
08-06-2007, 03:21 PM
if im not mistaken... the rule states that only transferees from member schools of the UCAA are given 1 year residency... and since UE and Sn Beda are not members of UCAA... then saguitan can play.

Im not 100% certain on this though... pls correct me if im wrong.

The General
08-06-2007, 04:55 PM
if im not mistaken... the rule states that only transferees from member schools of the UCAA are given 1 year residency... and since UE and Sn Beda are not members of UCAA... then saguitan can play.

Im not 100% certain on this though... pls correct me if im wrong.

transferees from uaap, ncaa, naascu, cusa , ncraa and ucaa will require 1 year residency. in the case of robert solon of the up maroons who played in UP in 1996-1999 and became inactive till he moves to ncba in 2001, the ncba forfeited its all their games in the ncraa 2001 for failing to undergo the residency rule.

the rule of the ucaa and ncraa are almost the same. the only difference is that in the ucaa a team can play another tournament while the ucaa is on going. while the ncraa does not permit any team to field the same line -up in any other leagues on the duration of the ncraa.

MykelV
08-07-2007, 07:24 AM
i see... thank you for updating me with the rules. :)

if this is the case then i think the lightnings will have a problem with this.

but anyway... i still think they can go all the way without saguitan... Burgos, Jaybaybay, and Gerard the big guy is still there... i also hear nico pupos is back... that should be an interesting addition.

go lightnings.

codiak
08-07-2007, 12:57 PM
galing nga yan sa UE.

pag bigyan nyo na si Eric Suguitan para maka pag pakita ng talent at mag karoon ng playing time sa ASCAT kc hindi saya nagamit sa UE.

Go Eric Go UE hehehe

MykelV
08-07-2007, 02:18 PM
I just found out that he never played for UE. As i heard... he was only a team-b player back then. So he never saw action in the UAAP, at least thats what i heard.

The General
08-07-2007, 02:41 PM
I just found out that he never played for UE. As i heard... he was only a team-b player back then. So he never saw action in the UAAP, at least thats what i heard.

check the line-up of ue warriors in 2003-04......you can even ask him. malamang di na nagamit masyado.

anghusay
08-07-2007, 03:45 PM
he was in the lineup of the 2003 UE Red Warriors.* You can check it out at ubelt.com.

codiak
08-07-2007, 04:30 PM
nag laro yan si Eric Suguitan sa UE team A natuwa nga ako kasi meron higante ang UE mga 6'8" ang ht kala k malakas na ang ue nun yun pala wala din un 6'8" nagagawa sa loob ng court sayang yun ht niya... pero kong ngyn nagagamit na niya baka nag improve na c eric suguitan... kaya pag bigyan nyo na makapakita ng laro... hehehe
share ko lng po yun alam ko. ;D

MykelV
08-08-2007, 11:44 AM
ic... thanks for the heads up... i dont think acsat knows about this... i have a friend in the admin there... i will inform him right away.

MykelV
08-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Just a thought... Saguitan played for UE in 2003... but he transferred to Sn Beda and was never team A there. So when he transferred to ACSAT, he came from a school where he was not a team A player. So in my opinion.. he will not serve the 1 yr residency. If he transferred from UE to ACSAT then thats the time he would serve the 1 yr residency.

However this is just my opinion... what do u think?

I would hate to see my team forfit its games due to technicalities.

Go Lightnings!!!

The General
08-08-2007, 03:39 PM
Just a thought... Saguitan played for UE in 2003... but he transferred to Sn Beda and was never team A there. So when he transferred to ACSAT, he came from a school where he was not a team A player. So in my opinion.. he will not serve the 1 yr residency. If he transferred from UE to ACSAT then thats the time he would serve the 1 yr residency.

However this is just my opinion... what do u think?

I would hate to see my team forfit its games due to technicalities.

Go Lightnings!!!

whether he moves to another school after ue prior going to acsat, saguitan cannot escape the residency rule..... despite not being A team for san beda, playing in the uaap would require 1 yr. residency.

MykelV
08-09-2007, 07:28 AM
whether he moves to another school after ue prior going to acsat, saguitan cannot escape the residency rule..... despite not being A team for san beda, playing in the uaap would require 1 yr. residency.

Well, if this is your interpretation of the rules then i cannot argue with that... just as you cannot argue with my interpretation... however it is the interpretation of the officers in the UCAA that matters the most and its up to them to decide wether he can play or not... so lets just wait and see what their decision will be. But never the less, wether saguitan can play or not... I still think that ACSAT will come out as champs in this tournament.

Go Lightnings!!!

anghusay
08-09-2007, 07:40 AM
I would like Eric Suguitan be given a break and allowed to play this season in the UCAA and NCRAA. The kid rode the bench the whole season during the time he was in the line-up of the Red Warriors and was languishing in the Team B of the Red Lions afterwards. The kid just wants a chance to play and show his stuff. Hopefully, he will be given a shot with a PBL team and then who knows?

The General
08-09-2007, 11:51 PM
I would like Eric Suguitan be given a break and allowed to play this season in the UCAA and NCRAA. The kid rode the bench the whole season during the time he was in the line-up of the Red Warriors and was languishing in the Team B of the Red Lions afterwards. The kid just wants a chance to play and show his stuff. Hopefully, he will be given a shot with a PBL team and then who knows?

lets just wait for the final say of the UCAA board..

The General
08-09-2007, 11:53 PM

Well, if this is your interpretation of the rules then i cannot argue with that... just as you cannot argue with my interpretation... however it is the interpretation of the officers in the UCAA that matters the most and its up to them to decide wether he can play or not... so lets just wait and see what their decision will be. But never the less, wether saguitan can play or not... I still think that ACSAT will come out as champs in this tournament.

Go Lightnings!!!

Thats fine with me.... Good luck to you and the lightnings!!

anghusay
08-14-2007, 07:43 AM
I would like Eric Suguitan be given a break and allowed to play this season in the UCAA and NCRAA.* The kid rode the bench the whole season during the time he was in the line-up of the Red Warriors and was languishing in the Team B of the Red Lions afterwards.* The kid just wants a chance to play and show his stuff.* Hopefully, he will be given a shot with a PBL team and then who knows?

lets just wait for the final say of the UCAA board..

When will the UCAA board decide?

MykelV
08-21-2007, 07:46 AM
Has the board decided yet? Will there be live coverage on the opening games?

anghusay
08-21-2007, 08:30 AM
No word yet on the status of Suguitan.* No TV coverage on the UCAA games whether live or delayed.* I guess you have to watch the games live at The Arena in San Juan.* Ticket prices are around 20-30 pesos.*

UCAA opening is on August 25, 2007 at The Arena in San Juan

anghusay
08-21-2007, 06:08 PM
Definitely the team to beat this season will be the reigning 3-time UCAA champions the Emilio Aguinaldo College Generals.* Gunning for an unprecedented 4th straight title, the Generals will have to do it without top gun Ronjay Buenafe who was recently drafted by the Coca-Cola Tigers in the PBA.* Also no longer with the Generals, are slotman Mark Anzures and shifty guard John Valderama who played a vital role in last season's finals.* Key returnees for the Generals will be high flyers Jaime Manansala and Nico Hubalde, veteran players Alain Musni, Gester Ebuen and the comebacking Bong Melocoton who are all on their last tour of duty and would like to end their collegiate careers with nothing less than a championship.* *The Generals also have a slew of fresh talent waiting in the wings for coach Nomar Isla.* Most noticeable was an Iranian big man who can post up and drive to the hoop and a very athletic point guard who is quick both on offense and defense, can also direct plays and create opportunities for his team mates.

The Saint Francis of Assisi Doves have a practically intact lineup from last year.* This will be a big plus if the Doves are to improve their 2nd place finish from last season.* Streak shooter Chris Concepcion will not be suiting up because he has used up his eligibility with the team.* However, the Doves will still be depending on their big men rotation consisting of Raymund Ilagan, Michael Jan Rabor and William Malalo-an all standing at least 6'4 or better.* Completing the lineup will be wingmen Andee Ticzon, Rex Leynes and the physical Leomer Losentes.* SFAC hardly made any noise during the summer but expect the team to pull off a couple of suprises when the season starts.* One major disadvantage though is Coach Gabby Velasco will be serving his suspension for the entire 2007 UCAA season for punching a referee last season.*

Most experts say that the Asian College of Science and Technology (ACSAT) Lightnings are a big man away from a UCAA championship. They finished a respectable third place last year despite joining the UCAA only in 2005. Team statistical leader Welland Munoz has already graduated, while Jerome de Guzman and Ralf Banquerigo will be sitting this season due to injuries. The team will be relying heavily on big men Ruel Jabaybay, Rey Burgos, and Gerald Lapuz, shooters Nico Pupos, Lito Casil, Angel Quilaquiga and Chris Bularon will open up the middle while point guard duties will be divided between Harvey Igtos, Allan Recla and Alec dela Pena. ACSAT is still uncertain whether their prized catch in 6'7 slotman Eric Suguitan will be allowed to play or be required to sit out this season for residency. If allowed to play, Suguitan could be the final piece of the Lightnings championship puzzle.

UCAA opening is on August 25, 2007 at The Arena in San Juan

nastrans
08-22-2007, 10:28 AM
I'm not sure about this but I got a revised copy of the UCAA schedule and it seems that in the later part of the tournament, there will be games played at the San Dionisio Gym in Paranaque.

MykelV
08-22-2007, 10:57 AM
Definitely the team to beat this season will be the reigning 3-time UCAA champions the Emilio Aguinaldo College Generals. Gunning for an unprecedented 4th straight title, the Generals will have to do it without top gun Ronjay Buenafe who was recently drafted by the Coca-Cola Tigers in the PBA. Also no longer with the Generals, are slotman Mark Anzures and shifty guard John Valderama who played a vital role in last season's finals. Key returnees for the Generals will be high flyers Jaime Manansala and Nico Hubalde, veteran players Alain Musni, Gester Ebuen and the comebacking Bong Melocoton who are all on their last tour of duty and would like to end their collegiate careers with nothing less than a championship. The Generals also have a slew of fresh talent waiting in the wings for coach Nomar Isla. Most noticeable was an Iranian big man who can post up and drive to the hoop and a very athletic point guard who is quick both on offense and defense, can also direct plays and create opportunities for his team mates.

The Saint Francis of Assisi Doves have a practically intact lineup from last year. This will be a big plus if the Doves are to improve their 2nd place finish from last season. Streak shooter Chris Concepcion will not be suiting up because he has used up his eligibility with the team. However, the Doves will still be depending on their big men rotation consisting of Raymund Ilagan, Michael Jan Rabor and William Malalo-an all standing at least 6'4 or better. Completing the lineup will be wingmen Andee Ticzon, Rex Leynes and the physical Leomer Losentes. SFAC hardly made any noise during the summer but expect the team to pull off a couple of suprises when the season starts. One major disadvantage though is Coach Gabby Velasco will be serving his suspension for the entire 2007 UCAA season for punching a referee last season.

Most experts say that the Asian College of Science and Technology (ACSAT) Lightnings are a big man away from a UCAA championship. They finished a respectable third place last year despite joining the UCAA only in 2005. Team statistical leader Welland Munoz has already graduated, while Jerome de Guzman and Ralf Banquerigo will be sitting this season due to injuries. The team will be relying heavily on big men Ruel Jabaybay, Rey Burgos, and Gerald Lapuz, shooters Nico Pupos, Lito Casil, Angel Quilaquiga and Chris Bularon will open up the middle while point guard duties will be divided between Harvey Igtos, Allan Recla and Alec dela Pena. ACSAT is still uncertain whether their prized catch in 6'7 slotman Eric Suguitan will be allowed to play or be required to sit out this season for residency. If allowed to play, Suguitan could be the final piece of the Lightnings championship puzzle.

very well said... i totally agree...

anghusay
08-22-2007, 08:32 PM
UCAA 2007 season opens Saturday

The Philippine Star

A tough field is in store for the Emilio Aguinaldo College Generals when they gun for an unprecedented fourth straight Universities and Colleges Athletic Association (UCAA) men's basketball title beginning this Saturday at The Arena in San Juan.

Vastly improved Asian College of Science and Technology(ACSAT), Olivarez College, St. Francis of Assisi, La Salle-Dasmarinas and Philippine School of Business Administration(PSBA), along with two new other schools are out to thwart the Generals' bid to stretch their domination of the league now on its sixth season.

Making the campaign even more challenging for the Generals is the absence of hotshot guard Ronjay Buenafe, their high scoring stalwart who played a key role in the school's three straight championship reign.

With Buenafe no longer around for EAC, UCAA executive Tisha Abundo of PSBA said the season is definitely going to be a wide open race, with the rest of the field expected to give the Generals a run for their money.

"ACSAT is a contender here since they have branches in the Visayas and Mindanao, so they have a reliable network where to get good players," said Abundo in the PSA Forum yesterday at the Shakey's United Nations Ave., branch.

"Of course, you can't discount the other teams like PSBA, St. Francis and Olivarez College.* We also expect our two new members to come up with surprises.* We're actually in the dark right now on who their players are," added the former Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) official.

Universal Nursing College and Las Pinas College make its respective league debut, bringing to eight the number of teams seeing action in this year's tournament hosted by ACSAT.

EAC mentor Nomar Isla, who also appeared in the forum along with UCAA president Raoul Sia of ACSAT, Teddy Talens of Olivarez, admitted the absence of Buenafe may be a big loss foss for the school, but maintains the Generals still have a reliable unit, bannered by veterans Bong Melecoton and Nico Hubalde, capable of winning a fourth straight title.

"Mahirap but we'll be fine, We're still optimistic about our campaign," he said.

As its way of paying tribute to Buenafe, the school is set to retire the cager's No.8 jersey.

Buenafe was selected first in the second round by Coca-Cola in last Sunday's* Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) Rookie Draft.

A heavy four-game bill is in store in Saturday's opener.

UCAA opening is on Saturday August 25, 2007 at The Arena in San Juan

anghusay
08-26-2007, 03:07 AM
EAC defeats ACSAT in UCAA opener

The Emilio Aguinaldo College Generals began their campaign for a fourth straight title with a hard-earned, come from behind victory over the vastly improved Asian College of Science and Technology Lightnings at the jam packed Arena in San Juan to start hostilities in the UCAA men's basketball competitions.* The final score was pegged at 67-62. The Lightnings playing in only their third season in the league started out the gates very quickly, leading by 7 points 23-16 after the first quarter with Lightnings team captain Nico Pupos leading the attack with 10 points.* The lead ballooned to 29-17 midway through the second quarter before veterans Gester Ebuen, John Valderama teamed up with rookie Roldan to knot the score at 29-all.* Halftime ended with the Generals on top with a 35-33 lead.

The Lightnings took control during the third with point guard Harvey Igtos connecting on 2 three-point baskets and slotman Eric Suguitan scoring on several putbacks.* It seemed that the Lightnings would coast the rest of the way after posting a double digit lead at the end of the third quarter 54-44.* However the Generals started the fourth with a furious 12-2 blast to knot the score at 56-all time down to 4.54 led by Bong Melocoton and Valderama.* The Lightnings were held to just 8 points in the fourth quarter due to the tight defense of the Generals.* Both teams are projected to make the final four this season.

In the second game the PSBA Jaguars defeated UCAA newcomer Universal College of Nursing.* The opening ceremony was graced by San Juan Mayor JV Ejercito and the current PBA commissioner(sorry don't know his name).

anghusay
08-26-2007, 09:24 AM
Generals defy Lightnings in UCAA opener

Philippine Star.

The defending champion Emilio Aguinaldo College Generals defied the intimidating presence of 6-foot-7 giant Eric Suguitan as they frustrated the Asian College of Science and Technology Lightnings, 67-62, yesterday at the start of the sixth Universities and Colleges Athletic Association (UCAA) basketball tournament at The Arena in San Juan.

John Valderama intercepted Suguitan's inbound pass to Nico Pupos and scored on a decisive drive with 6.1 seconds left, allowing the Generals to grab the opening-day leadership.

Valderama tallied 16 points and helped shatter a 62-all deadlock with a layup following his steal off Pupos with 9.9 ticks to go, putting the Generals ahead, 65-62.

Earlier, Philippine Basketball Association commissioner Sonny Barrios made the ceremonial toss and was joined by San Juan Mayor JV Ejercito, ACSAT president and chairman Constancio Sia and other UCAA officials in the tournament backed by Molten as the official ball.

The Generals, who are shooting for their fourth straight UCAA title, actually came charging back from as much as a 44-54 deficit at the end of the third period.

The Lightnings got double digit figures from Pupos, Harvey Igtos and Suguitan, who used to play for the University of the East Warriors.

nastrans
08-27-2007, 08:21 AM
LPC also won their first game last Saturday via a 77-68 win over DLSU-Dasmarinas in the third game. The Huskies also had two african-born players on the roster.

LightningMan
08-27-2007, 09:06 AM
What was the result of the SFAC-Olivarez game? TIA.

anghusay
08-28-2007, 07:17 AM
SFAC won the game against Olivarez College. It was a double digit margin for the Doves. However, suspended SFAC coach Gabby Velasco was seen seated directly behind the bench of the Doves and league officials might sanction the volatile coach for this. Would anyone know the rule on suspended coaches regarding the proximity to his team's bench? May certain distance ba dapat from the bench or seating position? Gabby Velasco was suspended midway through the 2006 and the entire 2007 season for punching a referee last year.

nastrans
08-28-2007, 08:01 PM
Yes, I could confirm that Coach Gabby was indeed behind the SFACS bench during their game versus Olivarez.

The Velasco incident occured September 7 (or 8) in a game at DLSU-Dasmarinas.

nastrans
08-28-2007, 08:09 PM
BTW, it seems that the UCAA schedule was rescheduled again, anu ang bagong sked nila?

anghusay
08-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Yes, I could confirm that Coach Gabby was indeed behind the SFACS bench during their game versus Olivarez.

Will there be a sanction for that? I wonder why Coach Turo Valenzona or Olivarez Board rep Ted Talens didn't notice Coach Velasco being seated directly behind his team's bench.

anghusay
08-28-2007, 08:36 PM
BTW, it seems that the UCAA schedule was rescheduled again, anu ang bagong sked nila?

Maybe the General could post the revised schedule. I heard that there will also be 2 games that will be played in DLSU-D. Halos lahat ng games sa south, except the opening and the September 8 games which both will be played at the Arena in San Juan.

nastrans
08-28-2007, 08:42 PM

Will there be a sanction for that? I wonder why Coach Turo Valenzona or Olivarez Board rep Ted Talens didn't notice Coach Velasco being seated directly behind his team's bench.

Unless there are certain complaints from member schools or if the technical committee (if there's any) sees this as a usual occurrence during the season then Coach Gabby will likely be behind the bench during the games.

nastrans
08-28-2007, 08:46 PM

Maybe the General could post the revised schedule. I heard that there will also be 2 games that will be played in DLSU-D. Halos lahat ng games sa south, except the opening and the September 8 games which both will be played at the Arena in San Juan.

Yes, puro sa South ang games but the problem is that usually the league at the last minute would modify the schedule of the games and the venue without prior notice which is hard to know.

And yes, the games at DLSU-D will be on September 6 and 12 pending changes.

anghusay
08-28-2007, 08:48 PM
Will there be a sanction for that?* I wonder why Coach Turo Valenzona or Olivarez Board rep Ted Talens didn't notice Coach Velasco being seated directly behind his team's bench.

Unless there are certain complaints from member schools or if the technical committee (if there's any) sees this as a usual occurrence during the season then Coach Gabby will likely be behind the bench during the games.

What's the rule regarding sitting directly behind your team's bench if you're the suspended coach? *Mayron ba yan certain number of meters away from the bench parang restraining order na binibigay sa isang stalker? ;D

AnthonyServinio
08-29-2007, 02:20 AM
LPC also won their first game last Saturday via a 77-68 win over DLSU-Dasmarinas in the third game. The Huskies also had two african-born players on the roster.

* * *Las Pinas College seems to change its nickname anytime at the snap of a finger.

* * *I first heard of this school's varsity team around ten years ago, they were known as the Cavaliers.* Then, they became the Huskies.* When LPC joined the CUSA in 2005, they were called the Scorpions.* Now as a new member of the UCAA, they are now called the Blue Lions!

CAVALIERS
HUSKIES
SCORPIONS
BLUE LIONS

AnthonyServinio
08-29-2007, 02:35 AM
What's the rule regarding sitting directly behind your team's bench if you're the suspended coach? *Mayron ba yan certain number of meters away from the bench parang restraining order na binibigay sa isang stalker? ;D

* * *THE standard rule is that the suspended coach (or player or team official) must not be in the immediate vicinity of the playing court.* The area covers the playing area, the bench and anywhere within the audience area including aisles and entrances and exits.

* * *However, the suspended coach may be present in his team's locker room before the game and may stay there for as long as he does not enter the playing area during the game.* This is subject to the house rules of the league, which can also impose a total ban on the coach wherein he cannot enter the playing venue during his suspension.* With the advent of new technology, the league may also draft rules that prevent the suspended coach from communicating with his bench via mobile phone.

LightningMan
08-29-2007, 10:14 AM
Team Standings as of August 28, 2007

* * * * * * * * * W* * * * * *L
PSBA* * * * * * 1 ** 1
DLSU-D* * * * 1 * 1
ACSAT* * * * * 1* * 1
Olivarez* * * ** *0* ** * 2
UCN* * * * * * 0* * 2

nastrans
08-29-2007, 08:19 PM
DLSU-Dasma defeated UCN in a cliffhanger 89-84.

Big come-from-behind victory for ACSAT, Pupos went nuts from the three-point arc after the Lightnings were down by 14 points entering the final period to beat SFACS and a partisan crowd 83-81.

LightningMan
08-29-2007, 08:31 PM
EAC, LPC still unbeaten; ACSAT escapes Saint Francis

Emilio Aguinaldo College and Las Pinas College remained as the last two unbeaten teams as both schools turned back separate rivals in the elimination round of the 6th UCAA men's basketball tournament held at the Aguilar Sports Complex in Las Pinas.* The Generals had a relatively easy time in disposing of the Olivarez Sea Lions while newcomer the Las Pinas College Blue Lions needed a strong finish to defeat the PSBA Jaguars 82-73.

In the following game, the ACSAT Lightnings relied on a hail of three-pointers in the fourth quarter to pull the rug from under the St. Francis of Assisi Doves. The Doves started the game like a house on fire by holding the Lightnings scoreless in the first seven minutes 13-0 led by Raymund Ilagan, Leo Losentes and Michael Jan Rabor. It was at 2.35 left in the first quarter when ACSAT team captain Nico Pupos finally scored for the Lightnings with a 3-pointer.* The quarter ended with the Doves holding a 20-7 lead.

ACSAT scored on 8 straight points to start the 2nd canto with rookie Mike Sanchez accounting for 4 points.* The Doves held off repeated rallies by the Lightnings this time led by ACSAT off guard Lito Casil who hit 2 three-point baskets.* Score at halftime was at 40-34 Doves still ahead.

The Doves started to get hot again with Leo Losentes scoring 6 straight points to start the 3rd quarter.* Providing the supporting role were again Ilagan, Rabor and Tan who repeatedly scored on penetrations and drop passes.* This padded the lead to 14 points 64-50 at the end of the third quarter.

The outside shooting of the Lightnings suddenly found their mark with Lito Casil and Nico Pupos* combining for a total of 5 three point baskets plus a free throw from slotman Eric Suguitan for a 16-0 blast which allowed ACSAT to take the lead 66-64 for the first time.* Ilagan then scored underneath to tie count however ACSAT swingman Chris Bularon and Pupos each hit a three pointer for a 72-68 lead. ACSAT looked to be in control of the game with an 80-73 lead time down to 1.27, but were in for the final push of the Doves.* Final score was 83-81 when the last heave of Tan fell short.*

In the nightcap, the DLSU-Dasmarinas Patriots defeated a hard fighting UCN squad 89-84 to barge in the win column.* The UCN Dragons remained winless after two starts.

anghusay
08-30-2007, 08:22 AM
Before the start of the game, Coach Gabby Velasco of SFAC had to be told not to sit at the back of the bench of his team like he did last time. Initially he refused stating he wasn't doing anything there and would just be watching. UCAA board member Ted Talens of Olivarez College reminded him that the league is following FIBA rules. Eventually, Coach Gabby was given an ultimatum that if he didn't transfer within a time period of 15 minutes, the Doves would had to forfeit the game.

nastrans
08-30-2007, 09:26 AM
Before the start of the game, Coach Gabby Velasco of SFAC had to be told not to sit at the back of the bench of his team like he did last time. Initially he refused stating he wasn't doing anything there and would just be watching. UCAA board member Ted Talens of Olivarez College reminded him that the league is following FIBA rules. Eventually, Coach Gabby was given an ultimatum that if he didn't transfer within a time period of 15 minutes, the Doves would had to forfeit the game.

Coach Gabby was sitting on the deep left baseline away from the SFACS bench.

LightningMan
09-02-2007, 06:02 AM
SFAC over DLSU-D

The St. Francis of Assisi College Doves got back on the winning track by venting their ire against the De La Salle University Dasmarinas Patriots 72-58.* Old reliables Raymund Ilagan, Leo Losentes, Micheal Jan Rabor led the attack for the Doves who now sport a 2-win 1-loss card while the Patriots dropped to 1-2.

PSBA edges Olivarez College

The PSBA Jaguars had to rely on the steady hands of Vic Manuel to defeat the Olivarez College Sea Lions 83-80.* *Manuel connected on 2 pressure pack free throws with 19 seconds remaining to seal the win for the Jaguars.* PSBA improved to 2-1 while OC remained winless after 3 starts.

ACSAT defeats UCN

The ACSAT Lightnings put on a shooting clinic to defeat a hapless UCN squad 124-80.* ACSAT shooters Nico Pupos, Chris Bularon combined with reserves Lito Casil, Allan Recla, Angel Quilaquiga in coverting around 15 three-pointers to lead the attack for the Lightnings who have won two straight after losing on opening day.* The Universal College of Nursing Dragons joined Olivarez College at the cellar with a 0-3 mark.

EAC wins againast LPC

The Emilio Aguinaldo College Generals won against the Las Pinas College Blue Lions in a battle of undefeated squads.* The Generals remained spotless at 3-0 while the Blue Lions fell to 2-1.* LPC is making some noise in only their maiden season in the UCAA by giving the defending champions a hard time.

The General
09-02-2007, 07:32 PM
The EAC Generals survived a fierce battle against the Las Pinas College recently at its home court with a score of 84-74. It was only the last two minutes where the Generals piled their lead as the LPC missed all their perimeter attempt to get back at the game.

It was all physical , as the Cameroon Player Bikonte held his own at the post kept the LPC at bay.

Bong Melocoton, Gester Ebuen, Marc Roldan, and John Valderama combined its effort to sustain and keep the lead in favor of the Generals.

Experience kept the Generals to a commanding 3 wins and 0 loss in the elimination round. The only remaining team unbeaten.

As the Generals go thru its next assignments (UCN, PSBA and DLSU-D), they will playing minus Head Coach Nomar Isla who is scheduled to attend and conduct a basketball coaches clinic in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia this week.

GO GENERALS!

whiplash
09-03-2007, 04:35 PM
so the team will be playing without the head coach?

who are the rest of the coaching staff for the Generals and what are their backgrounds?

whiplash
09-03-2007, 04:37 PM
do we have box scores for these last 3 events? thanks guys!

The General
09-03-2007, 11:30 PM
coach gino manuel will take over, ably supported by asst. mike viado, consultant pba legend mr cool gerry esplana and veteran harmon codinera.

coach manuel was the former assistant of ex ue head coach boyzie zamar, also with the rp national team, the pbl sunkist, mba socsargen, and many teams.

LightningMan
09-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Results for September 4 games.

ACSAT defeats Olivarez College 93-84; Pupos(ACSAT) 29pts.
EAC defeats UCN 77-73; Ebuen (EAC) 9pts.
PSBA defeats DLSU-D
SFAC defeats LPC

LightningMan
09-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Team Standings as of September 4, 2007

* * * * * * * * * * *W* * * * * *L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EAC* * * * * * * * 4* * * 0
PSBA* * * * * * * 3* * * 1
SFAC* * * * * * * 3* * * 1
ACSAT* * * * * * 3* * * 1
LPC* * * * * * * * 2* * * 2
DLSU-D* * * * * *1* * * 3
Olivarez* * * * * 0* * * *4
UCN* * * * * * * *0* * * *4

nastrans
09-05-2007, 04:25 PM
Pupos for MVP?

Or unless ACSAT wins the UCAA title I guess.

anghusay
09-06-2007, 07:50 AM
Pupos for MVP?

Does the UCAA award a season MVP? If yes, who is the reigning MVP?

LightningMan
09-06-2007, 07:54 PM
September 6 results
Olivarez upsets Las Pinas College 82-75
EAC defeats PSBA 89-83
DLSU-D upsets ACSAT in overtime 99-95
SFAC over UCN

Team Standings as of September 4, 2007

W L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EAC 5 0
SFAC 4 1
PSBA 3 2
ACSAT 3 2
LPC 2 3
DLSU-D 2 3
Olivarez 1 4
UCN 0 5

The General
09-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Pupos for MVP?

Does the UCAA award a season MVP?* If yes, who is the reigning MVP?*

2006 UCAA MVP - Gester Ebuen of the EAC Generals

LightningMan
09-09-2007, 05:35 AM
September 8 results

Olivarez College defeats UCN 88-79
St. Francis defeats PSBA 79-65
ACSAT defeats Las Pinas College 82-71 (LPC 4th straight loss)
EAC defeats DLSU-D (game had a bench clearing free-for-all)

Team Standings as of September 8, 2007

EAC* * * * * * * * 6* * * 0
SFAC* * * * * * * 5* * * 1
ACSAT* * * * * * 4* * * 2
PSBA* * * * * * * 3* * * 3
LPC* * * * * * * * 2* * * 4
DLSU-D* * * * * *2* * * 4
Olivarez* * * * * 2* * * *4
UCN* * * * * * * *0* * * *6

joelex
09-09-2007, 01:42 PM
EAC defeats DLSU-D (game had a bench clearing free-for-all)

what exactly happened? who were the players involved?

nastrans
09-09-2007, 04:06 PM
DLSU-D's Leo Pelayo drew a foul on Nino Lapuz with 5:40 left in the second quarter, there was said to be a slight physica retaliation then after a verbal exchange punches were thrown both benches almost cleared which resulted in six players from the Patriots thrown out while eight from EAC's side were sent to the showers.

A 30 minute lull occurred as there were some complaints from both sides, most especially on the Generals bench, about the ejection, some frustrations from interim coach Gino Lapuz and a UCAA official (and an Olivarez representative) and as to whether the game is supposed to continue.

But the Generals were fortunate as the key players Gester Ebuen, Bong Melocoton, etc. were not ejected unlike the Patriots who saw Lenon Lasin, Jun Salado (although he is bound to be ejected for entering the court), being disqualified in the incident.

nastrans
09-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Ito pala yung mga naeject:

EAC

Ryan Borja
Sherwin Caling
Jaime Manansala
John Valderama
Raymond Pasaol
Nico Hubalde
Lowell Yaya
Nino Lapuz
Jorell Josen

DLSU-D

Jon Marc Aranza
Lenon Lasin
Jun Salado
Paolo Alcaraz
Lian Alejandro
Kater John Licudine
Leo Pelayo

anghusay
09-09-2007, 05:00 PM
What's the rule on ejections? Automatic suspension for the next game ba ito? EAC will be playing St. Francis tomorrow.

nastrans
09-09-2007, 05:43 PM
For sure Pelayo and Lapuz I think are going to be suspended but it would depend on the FIBA rules they use or if they have their own separate rules.

whiplash
09-10-2007, 01:59 PM
i dont get the cause of the free for all.. mostly a fight between two players?

also who is Gino Lapuz?

so are these players suspended?

anghusay
09-10-2007, 04:46 PM
i dont get the cause of the free for all.. mostly a fight between two players?

also who is Gino Lapuz?

so are these players suspended?

Gino Lapuz is a forward from EAC. He is also the older brother of Lightnings forward Gerard Lapuz.

LightningMan
09-10-2007, 04:53 PM
Game Results for September 10, 2007

ACSAT defeats PSBA* *106-74
LPC defeats UCN* *(LPC snaps 4-game losing streak)
Olivarez College defeats DLSU-D* (DLSU-D suited only 7 players)
SFAC defeats* EAC (EAC 1st loss in 7 games, suited only 6 players)

Team Standings as of September 10, 2007

EAC* * * * * * * * 6* * * 1
SFAC* * * * * * * 6* * * 1
ACSAT* * * * * * 5* * * 2
Olivarez* * * * * 3* * * *4
PSBA* * * * * * * 3* * * 4
LPC* * * * * * * * 3* * * 4
DLSU-D* * * * * *2* * * 5
UCN* * * * * * * *0* * * *7

whiplash
09-12-2007, 05:21 AM
so DLSU_D only had 7 players and EAC only had 6? who has info on who were allowed to play? thanks guys!

gameface_one
09-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Doves tie dour Generals in UCAA caging

Inquirer
Last updated 06:44am (Mla time) 09/12/2007

GAMES WEDNESDAY (DLSU-Dasma Gym)
10 a.m. -- ACSAT vs EAC
11:30 a.m. -- UCN vs PSBA
1 p.m. -- Las Piñas College vs DLSU-D
2:30 p.m. -- SFC vs Olivarez

MANILA, Philippines -- The Saint Francis of Assisi Doves brought down the undermanned Emilio Aguinaldo College Generals, 74-61, Monday to gain a share of the lead with their victims in the 6th Universities and Colleges Athletic Association (UCAA) men’s basketball tournament at the Olivarez College gym in Parañaque City.

The Doves posted their sixth win in seventh matches after the first round.

Meanwhile, eight Generals, including key men John Valderama and Nichole Hubalde, were suspended for one game following Saturday’s fight-marred clash with La Salle-Dasmariñas.

Other matches: Asian College of Science and Technology (5-2) d. PSBA, 106-72; Las Piñas College (3-4) d. Universal College of Nursing, 70-64.

LightningMan
09-13-2007, 05:33 AM
ACSAT evens the score with EAC

It was payback time as the ACSAT Lightnings defeated the defending champion EAC Generals 98-89 at the DLSU-D sports complex in the continuation of the UCAA men's basketball tournament. The Lightnings avenged their opening day defeat at the hands of the Generals, and at the same time improved their standing to 6-2 for a tie with second place with EAC who fell to their second straight defeat.

The Generals missing the services of several key players notably Bong Melocoton who is in sick bay, and Mendoza who was benched for disciplinary actions. ACSAT was very quick out of the gates led by the three-point shooting of Lito Casil, Chris Bularon and Rey Burgos who combined to hit 5-three pointers. ACSAT was up 26-17 after the first canto.

The Lightnings continued the pace in the second quarter by drawing timely hits from Ruel Jabaybay, Gerard Lapuz, Harvey Igtos and rookie Mike Sanchez. Slotman Eric Suguitan scored on several inside baskets as he asserted his height advantage over the Generals. Halftime score was Lightnings ahead 54-38.

ACSAT posted several 20 point leads in the fourth and headed to what seemed as a blowout win, the last was at 91-71. However, Generals had a last ditch stand with Gester Ebuen, Nico Hubalde and John Valderama combining for an 8-1 blast to cut the lead 92-79 with 3.29 left. Lightnings head coach Ricky Alcantara sued for time but the Generals with Valderama again leading the attack by scoring 7 straight points to further cut the lead to 94-86 with 1.39 left. This was the closest the Generals got in the second half and the Lightnings just ran out the clock for the final tally. ACSAT led throughout the game.

nastrans
09-13-2007, 01:25 PM
EAC suited up almost 10 or more players yesterday and from what I've heard it seems that the school has issued their own suspension on the players involved while assistant coach Gino Manuel was also suspended yesterday by the UCAA board.

nastrans
09-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Other results saw LPC beating DLSU-D in a low-scoring affair 51-41. The visitors pulled away around the start of the fourth quarter to put their lead into double figures.

LightningMan
09-15-2007, 07:31 AM
September 12 Results and Team Standings

ACSAT defeats EAC
PSBA defeats UCN
LPC defeats DLSU-D
SFAC defeats Olivarez College

W L

SFAC 7 1
EAC 6 2
ACSAT 6 2
PSBA 4 4
LPC 4 4
Olivarez 3 5
DLSU-D 2 6
UCN 0 8

nastrans
09-15-2007, 04:56 PM
Dont be fooled by the 0-8 (or 0-9) record by the UCN Dragons. It seems that most of the teams in the current UCAA campaign has been finding these new team a hard time to play with as they rely more on their outside shooting and their usual run-and-gun offense.

Unfortunately, since they are still new in a competition such as the UCAA they lagged in the waning moments as seen in their previous games against DLSU-D and PSBA.

LightningMan
09-17-2007, 08:04 AM
September 14 results

SFAC defeats DLSU-D (SFAC 7th straight win)
PSBA defeats Olivarez College 95-78
ACSAT defeats UCN 88-70(ACSAT 4th straight win)
LPC defeats EAC by 2points(EAC 3rd straight loss)

* * * * * * * * * *W* * * **L

SFAC* * * * * * * 8* * * 1
ACSAT* * * * * * 7* * * 2
EAC* * * * * * * * 6* * * 3
PSBA* * * * * * * 5* * * 4
LPC* * * * * * * * 5* * * 4
Olivarez* * * * * 3* * * *6
DLSU-D* * * * * *2* * * 7
UCN* * * * * * * *0* * * *9

mighty_lion
09-17-2007, 12:31 PM
September 14 results

Okey yong ACSAT ah. Eric galingan mo pa. ;D

LightningMan
09-17-2007, 08:40 PM
September 17, 2007 results

ACSAT edges Olivarez College 81-76 (ACSAT 5th straight win)
EAC defeats UCN (EAC 1st win in 2nd round)
PSBA defeats DLSU-D (PSBA tied with LPC for 4th place)
LPC upsets SFAC (SFAC 7-game winning streak snapped)

Team Standings as of September 17, 2007

W L

SFAC 8 2
ACSAT 8 2
EAC 7 3
PSBA 6 4
LPC 6 4
Olivarez 3 7
DLSU-D 2 8
UCN 0 10

anghusay
09-18-2007, 04:17 AM
Teams in the upper half are starting to break away from the rest of the field.
LPC is on a four-game winning streak dating back to the last playing date of the first round and have yet to lose in the second round.* They have also beaten two of the top three teams in the second round namely EAC and St. Francis.
ACSAT and St. Francis will be disputing the top spot when they clash tomorrow at the Olivarez Sports Complex.* Should be a very good game.
LPC and PSBA will dispute solo fourth place tomorrow at the Olivarez Sports Complex.* Both teams are tied for 4th with a 6-4 mark
PSBA has yet to lose in the second round (3-game winning streak) however, they still have to play 4 teams who are above .500 namely LPC, EAC, SFAC and ACSAT

LightningMan
09-19-2007, 07:13 PM
September 19, 2007 results

PSBA defeats Las Pinas College (PSBA ties EAC for 3rd place; LPC drops to 5th place)
Olivarez College upsets Emilio Aguinaldo College 73-65 (EAC 3rd loss in the 2nd round)
Asian College of Science and Technology repeats over St. Francis of Assisi College 94-82 (ACSAT grabs first place)
DLSU-D defeats UCN

* * * * * * * * * *W* * * * L

ACSAT* * * * * * 9* * * 2
SFAC* * * * * * * 8* * * 3
EAC* * * * * * * * 7* * * 4
PSBA* * * * * * * 7* * * 4
LPC* * * * * * * * 6* * * 5
Olivarez* * * * * 4* * * *7
DLSU-D* * * * * *3* * * 8
UCN* * * * * * * *0* * * *11

LightningMan
09-20-2007, 05:53 PM
September 14 results

Okey yong ACSAT ah. Eric galingan mo pa.* ;D

Eric Suguitan has steadily been improving ever since the season started. Don't know his stats but I'm pretty sure its close to a double-double. Also, he averages around 3 blocks per game. His team mates highly respect him and even calls him 'kuya' ;D

joelex
09-20-2007, 09:20 PM
to the UCAA spectators, could you post the 5 (or more) best UCAA players this season? Those whose games have reached a higher level and could compete with the best of the other collegiate leagues. Thanks!

mighty_lion
09-20-2007, 09:26 PM
September 19, 2007 results

PSBA defeats Las Pinas College (PSBA ties EAC for 3rd place; LPC drops to 5th place)
Olivarez College upsets Emilio Aguinaldo College 73-65 (EAC 3rd loss in the 2nd round)
Asian College of Science and Technology repeats over St. Francis of Assisi College 94-82 (ACSAT grabs first place)
DLSU-D vs. UCN (game result to follow)

DLSU-D* * * * * *2* * * 8
UCN* * * * * * * *0* * * *10

Yes. Go ACSAT! Sir Lightningman may possibility kayang mag-MVP si Eric dyan?

LightningMan
09-21-2007, 04:16 AM
Below is a list of the best players per team in the current UCAA season, IMHO of course. ;D

ACSAT
Nico Pupos, Rey Burgos, Chris Bularon

SFAC
Leo Losentes, Raymund Ilagan

EAC
John Valderama, Bong Melocoton, Gester Ebuen

Las Pinas College
Bikonte, Cunal (not sure sa spelling)

PSBA
Vic Manuel

Olivarez
John Panganiban, Sammy Isidro

DLSU-D
Lennon Lasin, Jun Salado

UCN
Mac Montilla, No.7(can't clearly see his name)

LightningMan
09-21-2007, 04:30 AM
Team Standings as of September 19, 2007

Possible siguro since there are still 3 games left in the elimination.* Although Suguitan has a lot of catching up to do in terms of statistical points.* But with Eric's personality, he is not after any individual award, he just wants ACSAT to win the championship.* He is too much of a team player.* Why don't you watch him play when the semis start and hopefully in the finals ;)

mighty_lion
09-21-2007, 09:35 AM
Team Standings as of September 19, 2007

Possible siguro since there are still 3 games left in the elimination.* Although Suguitan has a lot of catching up to do in terms of statistical points.* But with Eric's personality, he is not after any individual award, he just wants ACSAT to win the championship.* He is too much of a team player.* Why don't you watch him play when the semis start and hopefully in the finals ;)

Hopely kung weekends sana yong schedules. Anyway, Im planning to take a long vacation next week para sa NCAA championship series. Pa-post naman sir ng skeds and I'll try to catch up kung free..

whiplash
09-21-2007, 11:00 AM
no box scores or newspaper links guys?

nastrans
09-21-2007, 06:40 PM
I received a text message saying that DLSU-D scored an upset win over ACSAT earlier today.

LightningMan
09-22-2007, 05:41 AM
September 21, 2007 results

LPC defeats Olivarez College
The Las Pinas College Blue Lions got back at first round tormentor the Olivarez College Sea Lions.* The Blue Lions improved to 7-5 and are still in contention for a final four seat going into the last 2 playdates of the elimination.

EAC escapes PSBA
The Emilio Aguinaldo College Generals narrowly escaped the upset axe anew by defeating the hard fighting PSBA Jaguars 75-74.* Jaguars veteran guard Joebert Manguerra had the opportunity to send the game into overtime when he was fouled while attempting a three point basket.* Time down to 1 second, EAC up 75-72.* He calmly sank the first two shots but wildly missed on the third which could have tied the game.

DLSU-D repeats over ACSAT
DLSU-D upset the erstwhile standings leader the ACSAT Lightnings.* DLSU-D guard Jun Salado hit a short jumper to give the Patriots the lead 76-74 with 6 seconds left. This proved to be the marginal basket since ACSAT wasn't able to get a decent shot off which could have tied the game. The Patriots are the only team to sweep their season series with the Lightnings.*

UCN finally scores its first win in the UCAA
The Universal College of Nursing finally nailed its first win with a 77-74 overtime win over the St. Francis of Assisi College Doves.* Dragons top gun Mac Montilla had a chance to put the game away in regulation with two freethrows time down to 6 seconds UCN up by two.* He flubbed both free throw attempts and in the ensuing play Doves point guard Leo Losentes was fouled and hit both free throws to send the game into overtime.* Montilla redeemed himself in the extra period by drilling in 7 points to finally get the 'W' for the Dragons.

Team Standings as of September 21, 2007

W L

ACSAT 9 3
SFAC 8 4
EAC 8 4
PSBA 7 5
LPC 7 5
Olivarez 4 8
DLSU-D 4 8
UCN 1 11

nastrans
09-22-2007, 09:48 PM
What is going on in the UCAA? ;D

Medyo madaming upsets ang nangyayari ngayon.

The General
09-22-2007, 11:36 PM
this is what you call competition. the 2nd round will allow the other teams to perform better or become complacent.

the EAC Generals was not the same team after the suspension as a result of bench clearing vs. dlsu dasma. losing to ACSAT, OC and LP in the second round should be the wake up call for the defending champions. now that there is no RJ BUENAFE to rely on. its up to veterans Ebuen, Valderama, Melocoton and Roldan to get their team back to its winning ways.

should they regroup, the possibility of getting # 1 position is not remote, considering the standings:
ACSAT* * *9-3
SFACS* * * 8-4
EAC* * * * *8-4
PSBA* * * *7-5
LPC* * * * *7-5

two playing dates will determine the FINAL FOUR:

sept. 24 @ eac gym

eac vs. dlsu-d* * 10am
sfac vs. psba* * *1130am
lpc vs. acsat* * * 1pm

sept. 26 @ oc gym

psba vs. acsat 10am
eac vs. sfac* 230pm

WATCH OUT!

gameface_one
09-24-2007, 08:22 AM
Montilla stars as greenhorn UCN Dragons destroy Doves

Inquirer
Last updated 01:27am (Mla time) 09/24/2007

MANILA, Philippines -- League newcomer Universal College of Nursing turned to Mac Montilla in the endgame to score its first victory in the sixth Universities and Colleges Athletic Association (UCAA) men’s basketball tournament at the Emilio Aguinaldo College Sports Complex in Manila.

Montilla scored 14 points, including the winning jumper with 12 seconds left that gave the Dragons a 77-72 overtime victory over the heavily favored St. Francis of Assisi College Doves.

Montilla’s heroics ended the Dragons’ losing skein at 11. His jumpshot finally put UCN ahead to stay, 75-72. Lester Reyes capped the Dragons’ win with two free throws with four seconds left.

The loss kept the Doves from joining the Asian College of Science and Technology Lightnings at the top and allowed the defending champion Emilio Aguinaldo College Generals to gain a share of second with St. Francis.

Jeff Ompad led the Dragons with 21 points, with Reyes scoring 14 points.

The La Salle-Dasmariñas Patriots, behind a drive by Angel Salado with 28 ticks left, prevailed over the Lightnings, 76-74.

The Lightnings will try to secure the top Final Four semifinal seat when they battle the Las Piñas College Blue Lions at 1 p.m. on Monday at the EAC Sports Complex.

anghusay
09-24-2007, 07:40 PM
Sept 24 results

EAC defeats DLSU-D
SFAC defeats PSBA
LPC defeats ACSAT
UCN defeats Olivarez College

LightningMan
09-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Team Standings as of September 24, 2007

ACSAT* * * * * * 9* * * 4
SFAC* * * * * * * 9* * * 4
EAC* * * * * * * * 9* * * 4
LPC* * * * * * * * 8* * * 5
PSBA* * * * * * * 7* * * 6
Olivarez* * * * * 4* * * *9
DLSU-D* * * * * *4* * * 9
UCN* * * * * * * *2* * * *11

nastrans
09-24-2007, 08:03 PM
Tough loss for the Patriots, that's a huge lead that they squandered talagang sakit na nila and EAC managed another comeback although I think sometime having a slow start could be a problem for the Generals though.

It's going to be an interesting final day of the eliminations on Wednesday, the EAC-SFAC match will decide who will take a twice-to-beat assuming ACSAT secures a win. And possibly, even LPC can snatch even a second spot if they win, now would depend on either quotient or head-to-head matchups though.

The General
09-25-2007, 06:25 PM
thats a good point in describing the eac generals tendencies to start the game slow. like in the game versus olivarez, when the sealions erected a 12-0 lead at the 1st quarter, which ended oc sealions upsetting the generals.

from what i gathered, todays practice, the coaching staff addressed the slow start of the team. they will try to keep the 1st quarter close or even dominate from start to finish.

defense will be the key here, to beat sfacs doves, the generals will have to shot down losentes and ilagan.

the final four cast this season is far different from the early seasons wherein SFACS and EAC had a clear advantage to the other teams.this time, everyones is at equal footing.

the stronger, the healthiest and the mental tested team will prevail.

whiplash
09-26-2007, 02:10 PM
what is the EAC sports complex like? why are there so many games there? sorry if out of topic...

nastrans
09-26-2007, 04:14 PM
Are there any early results of at least the three games scheduled today? :)

LightningMan
09-26-2007, 11:36 PM
Game Results for September 26, 2007

ACSAT defeats PSBA (ACSAT snaps 2-game losing skid)
LPC defeats UCN (LPC 6-1 in the second round)
Olivarez vs. DLSU-D (bench clearing brawl, game was stopped)
SFAC defeats EAC (EAC 3-4 in the second round)

Team Standings as of September 26, 2007

W L

ACSAT 10 4
SFAC 10 4
EAC 9 5
LPC 9 5
PSBA 7 7
Olivarez 4 9
DLSU-D 4 9
UCN 2 12

ACSAT clinches 1st place by virtue of winner over the other(ACSAT defeated SFAC twice in the elims).
SFAC gets second twice to beat slot.
EAC and LPC will have a knock-out match to determine 3rd place. Loser slides to 4th place.
LPC has been very dangerous in the 2nd round. Losing only to a PSBA in the second round.

LightningMan
09-27-2007, 08:11 AM
Lightnings clinch top UCAA spot

Inquirer
Last updated 06:01am (Mla time) 09/27/2007

MANILA, Philippines -- The Asian College of Science and Technology (ACSAT) Lightnings overcame a bad start and clobbered the Philippine School of Business Administration Jaguars, 101-70, to clinch the top Final Four slot in the Universities and Colleges Athletic Association (UCAA) men’s basketball tournament at the Olivarez College Sports Center.

Chris Bularon led the Lightnings with 25 points, enabling ACSAT to finish the eliminations with a 10-4 record.

Their victory arrested a two-game slide by the Lightnings, who ended the Jaguars’ semifinal aspirations and completed the Final Four cast.

The Las Piñas College Blue Lions emerging as the last qualifier.

The Blue Lions (9-5) formalized their entry into the Final Four, crushing the Universal College of Nursing Dragons, 81-58, with RJ Terez and Cameroon standout Ben Bikonte delivering 12 and 11 points, respectively.

The St. Francis of Assisi College Doves (9-4) and the defending champion Emilio Aguinaldo College Generals (9-4) are fighting to earn the second semis seat as of presstime.

“In our last in the elimination game, we just wanted to win convincingly so the boys can have a lot of confidence going into the Final Four,” said Lightnings coach Ricky Alcantara.

mighty_lion
09-27-2007, 09:49 AM
Is it true that Las Pinas College Blue Lions is bannered by a "nigerian" point guard?

nastrans
09-27-2007, 09:54 AM
Yup, they have two Nigerians, Ben Bikonte and a certain St. Yves Iroung.

BTW, sinung may blow-by-blow account nung bench clearing kahapon?

mighty_lion
09-27-2007, 10:04 AM
Yup, they have two Nigerians, Ben Bikonte and a certain St. Yves Iroung.

BTW, sinung may blow-by-blow account nung bench clearing kahapon?

Thanks pare.

whiplash
09-27-2007, 11:21 AM
that bench clearing from before and the suspension of the players of EAC the following game cost them their chance to be in the finals... tough luck

hope the players learn more sportsmanship in the future.. good luck to the remaining schools...

nastrans
09-27-2007, 08:08 PM
Ito daw ang blow-by-blow account ng brawl:

Lenon Lasin of DLSU-D was triple teamed by Olivarez, yung isa daw dun si Mike Juico ay sinikmurahan daw si Lasin. Bumawi si Lasin sabay sugod ang bench ng Sea Lions kaya nagkaroon na ng bench clearing. Si Teddy Talens, yung OIC ng technical committee dineclare na panalo La Salle Dasma.

This was what some of the players said nung nakausap ko sila sa school.

The General
09-27-2007, 11:50 PM
that bench clearing from before and the suspension of the players of EAC the following game cost them their chance to be in the finals... tough luck

hope the players learn more sportsmanship in the future.. good luck to the remaining schools...

you may have been confused.... EAC still has the chance to make it in the finals.... the suspension affected the chances of EAC to top the elimination round after 3 straight losses.

this will not stop the Generals in putting up a gallant stand to face one of the biggest challenge in the UCAA, that is to make it in the finals the hard way....

anghusay
09-28-2007, 07:44 AM
PSBA Jaguars head coach Philip Cezar is questioning the eligibility of Generals off guard John Valderama. Coach Cezar says Valderama is overaged(25 years old). Based on the NCRAA yearbook from last year Valderama's birthdate was on January 14, 1982. If this will be proven by PSBA, will all the games wherein Valderama played be forfeited? PSBA will be given a free ride to the semis if this happens and the three-time defending champions will be dethroned.

nastrans
09-29-2007, 08:30 PM
I was told by a UCAA personnel that EAC won yesterday to take third spot.

Final Four begins Monday at The Arena (the designated "home" of the ACSAT Lightnings?).

LightningMan
09-30-2007, 03:21 AM
Games on Monday October 1, 2007

The Arena in San Juan

ACSAT(1) vs. LPC(4) 1pm
SFAC(2) vs. EAC(3) 2.30pm

MykelV
10-01-2007, 03:56 PM
I just received news that ACSAT has won over LPC. They won by just 2pts. Dont have the details yet. But a win is a win. They are now waiting for the winner between SFAC n EAC.

Go Lightnings.

nastrans
10-01-2007, 07:14 PM
Congratulations to ACSAT for making their finals appearance in history.

As for whoever wins the EAC-SFACS tilt, it would be very devastating for SFAC if they lose this one as they have to win it on EAC's home grounds, which the Generals appear to be unbeatable or close to unbeatable in their building while also having lost a few crucial games along the way over the last few years.

nastrans
10-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Lightnings in finals

ERIC Suguitan fished a foul from Sereno Cunial and sank the winning charities which carried the Asian College of Science and Technology Lightnings to an 85-83 overtime beating of the Las Piñas College Blue Lions yesterday in their Final Four semifinals of the sixth Universities and Colleges Athletic Association men’s basketball tournament at The Arena in San Juan.

Suguitan’s free throws found their mark with 4.5 ticks to go and sent the Lightnings into the best-of-three final series, against either St. Francis or Emilio Aguinaldo College, which were still playing as of press time.

The 6’7” Suguitan, who had 15 points, shattered an 83-all tie and prevented the Blue Lions from sending the game into another extension period as they ran out of time with their final play.

“Na-test ang character ng mga bata sa game na ito, na kahit lamang na ang kalaban ay may ibubuga pa,” said Lightnings coach Ricky Alcantara.

Nikko Pupos showed the way for the Lightnings with 36 points and six 3-pointers, while Chris Bularon contributed 15. Kenny Bullo sank 24 points for the Blue Lions.

The Blue Lions were ahead, 70-62, going into the last 3:17 of the regulation period, and after two triples from Bullo kept them in front by five.

They lost steam in the final minute after their Cameroon cager Carlos Iroung left on five fouls.

The Lightnings then charged back to a 70-all deadlock after Harvey Igtos and Bularon connected with their charities, and Pupos unloaded a trey with 40.8 left. Peter Atencio

http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?page=sports3_oct2_2007

mighty_lion
10-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Go Eric! Your da Best! ;D ;D

LightningMan
10-02-2007, 01:35 AM
St. Francis dethrones EAC to complete finals cast

The 3-time defending champion Emilio Aguinaldo College Generals have been dethroned yesterday by the St. Francis of Assisi Doves in overtime 76-69 at The Arena in San Juan.* The Doves clinched the second finals seat and will face finals newcomer the ACSAT Lightnings.

Spitfire Leomer Losentes teamed up with big man Raymund Ilagan to lead the charge for the Doves who are again in the finals after losing last year to the Generals.* EAC yesterday was fortunate enough to have forced overtime when John Valderama hit a corner pocket three pointer to even the score with 7 seconds to go.*

During the extra period Ilagan and Losentes stamped their class on the Generals by scoring 7 straight points.* Reigning UCAA MVP Gester Ebuen was uncharacteristically off yesterday.* He went below fifty percent from the free throw line, committed several crucial turnovers before eventually fouling out during the extra period.

ACSAT makes UCAA finals

Inquirer
Last updated 06:55am (Mla time) 10/02/2007

MANILA, Philippines -- Eric Suguitan canned two free throws with 4.5 seconds left in overtime to carry the Asian College of Science and Technology to an 85-83 win over Las Piñas College and hand the Lightnings the first finals berth in the sixth Universities and Colleges Athletic Association (UCAA) men’s basketball at The Arena in San Juan.

The 6-foot-7 Suguitan fished a foul from Sereno Cunial and sank the winning points while the Blue Lions failed to convert in the return play.

Acsat’s best-of-three final foe would either be St. Francis or Emilio Aguinaldo College, which were still playing as of press time.

“The boys’ character were put to a test,” said Acsat coach Ricky Alcantara.

LightningMan
10-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Game One of the Best-of-three finals for the UCAA men's basketball crown

October 6, 2007 The Arena in San Juan

1.00 pm Las Pinas College vs. Emilio Aguinaldo College (Battle for 3rd place)
2.30 pm Asian College of Science and Technology vs. St. Francis of Assisi College (Championship)
Tickets are at P30 only.
Go out and support your schools/teams

The General
10-02-2007, 04:15 PM
PSBA Jaguars head coach Philip Cezar is questioning the eligibility of Generals off guard John Valderama. Coach Cezar says Valderama is overaged(25 years old). Based on the NCRAA yearbook from last year Valderama's birthdate was on January 14, 1982. If this will be proven by PSBA, will all the games wherein Valderama played be forfeited? PSBA will be given a free ride to the semis if this happens and the three-time defending champions will be dethroned.

for clarification, John Valderama submitted his philippine passport which clearly indicates his date of birth jan. 12, 1983.

LightningMan
10-02-2007, 08:44 PM
PSBA Jaguars head coach Philip Cezar is questioning the eligibility of Generals off guard John Valderama.* Coach Cezar says Valderama is overaged(25 years old).* Based on the NCRAA yearbook from last year Valderama's birthdate was on January 14, 1982.* If this will be proven by PSBA, will all the games wherein Valderama played be forfeited?* PSBA will be given a free ride to the semis if this happens and the three-time defending champions will be dethroned.

for clarification, John Valderama submitted his philippine passport which clearly indicates his date of birth jan. 12, 1983.

Thanks for clearing that issue. Let's move on to the games on Saturday.

nastrans
10-03-2007, 10:56 AM
It seems after a 6-0 start, the Generals never recovered since. The "civil war" type brawl at The Arena against the DLSU-D Patriots probably turned the tide on EAC's season, they simply lost steam and were seriously threatened not only by those Final Four teams but also those lowly squads like the Patriots in the second half of the season.

But I think what stems here is that EAC didn't have anymore of those main catalysts like Buenafe and Musni playing for them this year, Ebuen and Valderama aren't those players that while are effective they dont have the consistency or take-over style that Buenafe brought in the last couple of years. The loss of Musni affected them on the inside game as well.

It was a good run for the Generals, that three-peat is quite an accomplishment that started in an unbeaten (?) 2004 season, followed by a back-to-back when they came back from a 13-point fourth quarter deficit to beat La Salle Dasma in Game 3, and their third title last season against SFACS.

But now, it's going to be ACSAT and SFACS. ACSAT is trying to assert themselves as a new league power while the Doves are trying to recapture the old UCAA glory when they won the initial two seasons of the tournament when they were led by Ranidel de Ocampo and Al Vergara, it's going to be an interesting championship series.

The General
10-03-2007, 10:39 PM
It seems after a 6-0 start, the Generals never recovered since. The "civil war" type brawl at The Arena against the DLSU-D Patriots probably turned the tide on EAC's season, they simply lost steam and were seriously threatened not only by those Final Four teams but also those lowly squads like the Patriots in the second half of the season.

But I think what stems here is that EAC didn't have anymore of those main catalysts like Buenafe and Musni playing for them this year, Ebuen and Valderama aren't those players that while are effective they dont have the consistency or take-over style that Buenafe brought in the last couple of years. The loss of Musni affected them on the inside game as well.

It was a good run for the Generals, that three-peat is quite an accomplishment that started in an unbeaten (?) 2004 season, followed by a back-to-back when they came back from a 13-point fourth quarter deficit to beat La Salle Dasma in Game 3, and their third title last season against SFACS.

But now, it's going to be ACSAT and SFACS. ACSAT is trying to assert themselves as a new league power while the Doves are trying to recapture the old UCAA glory when they won the initial two seasons of the tournament when they were led by Ranidel de Ocampo and Al Vergara, it's going to be an interesting championship series.

thats true.... the Generals finally ended its long run. a fourth straight could have given the generals its right to eternal glory. the words, you cant have it all. the 3peat champions became the barometer of all the teams in the ucaa. the brawl versus dlsu dasma was the turning point.

now its quite a giant lesson learned by the former champion. nobody really took charge. it seems valderama and ebuen were not born to lead.

the final 4 versus sfacs showed how vulnerable the generals to pressure. mental toughness was not visible in the team. sfacs doves defense shot down the great generals.

well its time to face the reality that we are no longer champions. the challenge is to bounce back hard. to look forward in reclaiming its title and bring back the fire in the eyes of the generals.

to get your first championship is hard. to retain it back to back is much harder. and to go 3 straight is one for the records.

its time to heal the wounds after the battle.

the EAC Generals will be back..............

anghusay
10-04-2007, 05:27 AM
Preview of the finals

The ACSAT Lightnings and the SFAC Doves met twice during the eliminations. ACSAT scored a hard earned 83-81 come-from-behind win during their first meeting last August 29, 2007 and repeated over the Doves with a more convincing 94-82 win last September 19, 2007. However during the second meeting, St. Francis lead point guard Leomer Losentes was not 100% since he was discharged from the hospital that same day.

The Doves attack is anchored on big men Raymund Ilagan and Micheal Jan Rabor who both are smooth operators inside the paint and have a decent short to medium range jumper. Leomer Losentes is a versatile point guard capable of hitting the 3-point shot, slashing to the hoop or giving the assist to a wide open team mate. Shooters Tan and Rex Leynes could also help open the middle and break the opponent's zone defense. It seems the key to stopping the Doves' offense is by taking Leomer Losentes out of his element.

The ACSAT Lightnings rely on their guard rotation for most of their offense. Nico Pupos, Harvey Igtos, Lito Casil are some of the major contributors. However, slotman Eric Suguitan has shown a lot of improvement in both his offense and defense towards the end of the eliminations and has a major height advantage over the opposing teams 'bigs'. Also, ACSAT has a suffocating full court press if executed properly could result into easy points off turn overs.

St. Francis is in the finals for the second straight year. The lost to the EAC Generals last season but have gained valuable championship experience. The ACSAT Lightnings are in the big dance for the first time. They extended the Doves to two games in their final four matchup last season but was eventually defeated in the knockout game. ACSAT placed third last year by defeating the Olivarez College Sealions in the consolation round. This could serve as extra motivation for the Lightnings against the Doves.

This should be an exciting championship series. The St. Francis Doves trying to regain the crown they held during the first two years of the league and the Asian College of Science and Technology Lightnings hoping to win their first UCAA title in only their 3rd year in the league.

Good luck to both teams.

joelex
10-04-2007, 08:35 PM
when and where are the games s
cheduled?

LightningMan
10-05-2007, 05:19 AM
when and where are the games s
cheduled?

check out the top of this page

LightningMan
10-06-2007, 05:50 PM
Lightnings draw first* blood in UCAA finals

The Asian College of Science and Technology (ACSAT) Lightnings drew first blood by edging the St. Francis of Assisi College (SFAC) Doves 65-63 in game 1 of the 6th UCAA finals at the Arena in San Juan. Point guard Harvey Igtos calmly sank two free throws with 14.7 seconds left to extend the lead to 4 points 65-61.* SFAC slotman Raymund Ilagan easily scored in the ensuing play for the final count as time ran out on the Doves.

SFAC led by as much as 8 points in the third quarter, the biggest lead by any team before ACSAT hotshot Nico Pupos scored 6 straight points to cut the deficit to 2 points.* SFAC guard Tan then split his charities before Igtos knotted the score with a booming triple.* 3rd quarter ended with the score tied at 44.* The Lightnings can capture their first ever UCAA title with a win on Thursday.* Expect the Doves to go all out to extend the series.

Earlier, the Emilio Aguinaldo College Generals escaped with a 77-76 squeaker over the Las Pinas College Blue Lions to win third place.* EAC shooters, Bong Melocoton and John Valderama scorched the hoops to lead the scoring attack for the Generals.

joelex
10-07-2007, 03:41 AM
meron ba mythical 5 sa UCAA? kung meron, sino sino? eric suguitan-alain musni-ramond ilagan, how do they rate amongst each other?

nastrans
10-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Pressumably after ng may magchampion dun na sinasabi yung Mythical at MVP.

Eric Suguitan is a possibility, Musni I believe is no longer with EAC, and Ilagan is another one who could enter that elite list.

The General
10-07-2007, 10:14 PM
Pressumably after ng may magchampion dun na sinasabi yung Mythical at MVP.

Eric Suguitan is a possibility, Musni I believe is no longer with EAC, and Ilagan is another one who could enter that elite list.

correct, musni is not in the line up this season.

i bet on pupos as mvp should acsat gets the title otherwise losentes of the doves , mythical will be:

pupos off guard
suguitan center
ebuen small forward
losentes point guard
ilagan power forward

LightningMan
10-08-2007, 08:01 AM
UCAA Men's Basketball finals Game 2

October 11, 2007
EAC Gym

1pm* ACSAT vs. SFAC

Goodluck to both teams!

LightningMan
10-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Lightnings take Game 1

Manila Standard
October 8, 2007
http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?page=sports2_oct8_2007

THE Asian College of Science and Technology Lightnings leaned on their free-throw shooting late in the game to turn back the St. Francis of Assisi College Doves, 65-61, in Game 1 of the Universities and Colleges Athletic Association men’s basketball tournament at The Arena in San Juan.

Nikko Pupos, Rey Burgos and Harvey Igtos drilled in six of eight free-throw attempts down the stretch as the Lightnings took a 1-0 headstart and move a win away from bagging their first crown.

The Lightnings, who joined the league three years ago, will attempt for a sweep when they meet the Doves anew in Game 2 on Thursday, 1 p.m., at the Emilio Aguinaldo College Sports Complex.

The Doves, meanwhile, will try to bounce back and force a winner-take-all Game 3.

Pupos, a hotel and restaurant management student playing out of Cagayan de Oro City, scored a game-high 24 points, including 11 in the final period.

The Lightnings were forced to a 55-all deadlock in the game’s final three minutes with the clutch baskets of Doves Leomer Losentes and Rex Leynes.

A trey from Igtos with 2:57 left shattered the deadlock and the Doves ran into foul trouble afterwards.

After Doves big man Michael Rabor drove in twice to keep the Doves within range, 59-62, Pupos and Igtos split their freebies to keep the Lightnings afloat.

“Good execution of plays. ’Yung free-throw shooting namin ang bumuhay sa amin nu’ng huli. Kasi, kung sablay kami, talo kami. Ngayon, balik kami sa preparations namin, may isang game pa,” said Acsat coach Ricky Alcantara.

Earlier, the dethroned champion Emilio Aguinaldo College Generals relied on a 3-point play by Niño Lapuz to escape with a 77-76 victory over the Las Piñas College Blue Lions to clinch third place.

Gester Ebuen had 28 points for the Generals while Bong Melocoton and John Valderama scored 19 and 13 points apiece, while Lapuz chipped in five.

The Generals tried their best to protect a 77-73 edge following Lapuz’s heroics with 1:10 left. Peter Atencio

toti_mendiola
10-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Eric made good on his decision to transfer to ACSAT. The former Red Lion is doing good.
Animo Eric!
Animo ACSAT
Animo San Beda!

nastrans
10-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Too bad the Aguilar Sports Complex is a horrible place, it's a good use for high school games but not the UCAA, SFACS needs some home crowd to bolster their finals campaign.

Anyway, good luck to both teams in Game 2.

LightningMan
10-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Isn't the Olivarez Sports Complex a venue nearer the St. Francis Las Pinas campus? I'm wondering why SFAC chose to play game 2 at the EAC gym.

nastrans
10-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Yup, it's a few kilometers away from St Francis and it could have been a better alternative for the Doves to flock their students.

BTW, is The Arena the "home" court of the Lightnings?

LightningMan
10-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Everytime the Lightnings 'host' a game usually its at the Arena in San Juan. The ACSAT campus wherein our players are enrolled is in Quezon City. Proximity to the school is the reason for this. Another alternative would have been the ULTRA. I heard that when the NCRAA opens, host school PSBA will either be having the opening ceremonies at the Blue Eagle(Loyola) Gym, San Juan Coliseum(former home of the San Juan Knights) or the Arena in San Juan.

nastrans
10-08-2007, 09:53 PM
A trip to Ateneo would be a killer for the Patriots if PSBA opts to open the tournament at Loyola. I think back in 2003 when PSBA hosted the second season, the opening was held at the Blue Eagle Gym with a delayed coverage on NBN 4.

BTW, it's good that ACSAT considers the Arena as their "home" court, sa ganda at laki ng venue sinong di gaganahan maglaro doon? :)

Howard the Duck
10-09-2007, 11:54 PM
ano nang nangyari dito ???

nastrans
10-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Game 2 will be tommorow 1PM at EAC Sports Center.

nastrans
10-11-2007, 02:57 PM
St Francis wins Game 2 69-59

nastrans
10-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Leomer Losentes scored 20 points on a number of threes. The Doves led by 25 before ACSAT fought back behind Mike Sanchez by pulling closer to five points with 1:43 to go before Losentes fired a jumper to silence the Lightnings.

Game 3 is on Saturday at The Arena at 9AM YES AT 9AM kaya maagang gising ito mga UCAA followers.

LightningMan
10-12-2007, 07:39 AM
Doves even the series

Tje St. Francis of Assisi College Doves used a decisive run in the middle quarters to defeat the ACSAT Lightnings 69-58 in game 2 of the UCAA men's basketball finals held at the EAC Sports Complex in Manila. Guards Leomer Losentes, Tan, Rex Leynes hit several three point baskets in the second canto and the Doves never looked backed.

The Lightnings had a miserable day from the field because of the Doves pesky defense. Shooters Nico Pupos, Lito Casil, Chris Bularon and Harvey Igtos only had 2 three point baskets among themselves.

The championship series in now tied at 1 game a piece and the decisive Game 3 will be held on October 13, 2007, 9am at the Arena in San Juan. Expect both teams to go all out.

mighty_lion
10-12-2007, 08:31 AM
Doves even the series

Tje St. Francis of Assisi College Doves used a decisive run in the middle quarters to defeat the ACSAT Lightnings 69-58 in game 2 of the UCAA men's basketball finals held at the EAC Sports Complex in Manila.* Guards Leomer Losentes, Tan, Rex Leynes hit several three point baskets in the second canto and the Doves never looked backed.

The Lightnings had a miserable day from the field because of the Doves pesky defense.* Shooters Nico Pupos, Lito Casil, Chris Bularon and Harvey Igtos only had 2 three point baskets among themselves.

The championship series in now tied at 1 game a piece and the decisive Game 3 will be held on October 13, 2007, 9am at the Arena in San Juan.* Expect both teams to go all out.

Id like to watch this game. Pwede bang hindi na lumabas sa Arena pagkatapos para Bantay-bata naman. ;D

gameface_one
10-12-2007, 08:42 AM
Assisi forces rubber
mb.com.ph

ST. FRANCIS of Assisi College System beat Asian College of Science and Technology, 69-59, to force a rubber match in their best-of-three title series in the Universities and Colleges Athletic Association at the Emilio Aguinaldo College Gym in Manila.

The Doves held ACSAT to just seven points in the second quarter while connecting almost at will to post a commanding 50-25 lead.

But ACSAT fought back gallantly, closing in at 59-64 following a three-point play by Michael Sanchez three-point play, 59-64.

It proved to be their last gallant act as the Doves evened the series at 1-1.

"We played outstanding defense and made our three-pointers," said St. Francis assistant coach Luis Monfort. —JP ABCEDE

LightningMan
10-12-2007, 04:25 PM
St Francis Pulls Even To Force Rubber Match
Ubelt.com
http://www.ubelt.com/tourney/evt/story.aspx?tourney=ucaa&evt=mbb&id=1443

St Francis of Assisi College System blew a big lead but held on in the final minutes to defeat Asian College of Science and Technology, 69-59, in Game 2 of the 6th UCAA basketball championship series at the Emilio Aguinaldo College Sports Center in Manila last October 11.

The Doves built a commanding 25-point lead in the third quarter before ACSAT stormed a comeback to pull within five points with 1:43 to play.

But, Leomer Losentes answered back for St Francis with a jumper from the right wing for a seven-point spread and St Francis pulled away further after Tan recovered the ball and later scored one of two free throws off an unsportsmanlike foul from Nico Pupos with 1:10 left for a 67-59 count.

The win tied the best-of-three championship series at a game apiece with a rubber match set on a later date while denying the computer-based school's chance of claiming its first league plum.

"We played our heart's out and did our best for this game," said St Francis interim head coach Luis Monfort, who temporary replaced suspended head coach Gabby Velasco for the 2007 season.

Losentes topscored with 20 points while Lex Leynes and ES Santos had 16 and 10, respectively, for St Francis, who last won the title in 2003 with Ranidel de Ocampo steering them to back-to-back crowns.

ACSAT began the match with an early 8-0 lead as Rey Burgos scored five points in that run. However, the Doves outscored the Lightnings, 13-5, to claim their first lead on a Tan three from the right side before ending the first quarter with a 20-16.

St Francis exploded in the second quarter as the torrid shooting of Losentes, Rex Leynes, and ES Santos plus the defense held the Lightnings to a four-minute scoring drought and seven points in the period for a 41-23 halftime lead.

A Losentes triple gave the Doves its biggest lead, 50-25, with 5:12 in the third period.

"We played better in the second quarter because of our tough defense and outside shooting," Monfort recalled.

Trailing 56-42 entering the final canto, Michael Sanchez and Pupos led an ACSAT attack to chop the lead to single digits, 60-52, with 3:43 left before Losentes drilled another three for an 11-point spread 19 seconds later.

But the lefty Sanchez scored seven of the Lightnings' key 7-1 run in a span of one minute to cut closer at 64-59 on a three-point play off Leynes setting up Losentes' heart-breaking jumper on the following possession.

Pupos, ACSAT's leading scorer, had a quiet 17 points while Sanchez scored 12 off the bench.

(By Jonas Terrado)

Box Scores:

SFACS (69) – Losentes 20, Leynes 16, Santos 10, Ilagan 10, Tan 6, Rote 4, Martin 2, Rabor 1, Castanedez 0, Bulawan 0

ACSAT (59) – Pupos 17, Sanchez 12, Burgos 9, Lapuz 6, Igtos 5, Suguitan 3, Bularon 3, Quilaquiga 2,* Jabaybay 2, Casil 0, Recla 0, Nuñal 0

Quarterscores: 20-16, 41-23, 56-42, 69-59

nastrans
10-12-2007, 04:56 PM
Id like to watch this game. Pwede bang hindi na lumabas sa Arena pagkatapos para Bantay-bata naman. ;D

Madami namang pagtataguan sa The Arena e ;D

Anyway, enjoy the games tommorow, a St Francis win would tie EAC for the most titles in the UCAA with three while ACSAT would become the third UCAA school to win a title if they beat the Doves.

nastrans
10-12-2007, 05:14 PM
I hope next time the league institute a rule regarding the number of drums a team can bring. Parang sobra kasi magdala ang St Francis kahapon, kaliit liit na nga ng venue anim pa ang drum na dala wala naman tayo sa Ninoy o sa Araneta e.

Buti sa Arena ang laro bukas.

LightningMan
10-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Doves even the series

Tje St. Francis of Assisi College Doves used a decisive run in the middle quarters to defeat the ACSAT Lightnings 69-58 in game 2 of the UCAA men's basketball finals held at the EAC Sports Complex in Manila.* Guards Leomer Losentes, Tan, Rex Leynes hit several three point baskets in the second canto and the Doves never looked backed.

The Lightnings had a miserable day from the field because of the Doves pesky defense.* Shooters Nico Pupos, Lito Casil, Chris Bularon and Harvey Igtos only had 2 three point baskets among themselves.

The championship series in now tied at 1 game a piece and the decisive Game 3 will be held on October 13, 2007, 9am at the Arena in San Juan.* Expect both teams to go all out.

Id like to watch this game. Pwede bang hindi na lumabas sa Arena pagkatapos para Bantay-bata naman.* ;D

Hahaha! Mura lang naman ticket sa UCAA P20 lang ata.

mighty_lion
10-12-2007, 08:19 PM
^ Hehe. Nagbibiro lang ako. Kelangan lumabas kasi walang kainan para sa lunch na malapit sa Arena. ;D

nastrans
10-12-2007, 08:58 PM
Pwede din sa Flying V kung may mga tinitinda silang pagkain at drinks kaso baka literal na maging drink yung gaso nila dun ;D

Anyway, the key for ACSAT in this game is if they could keep their shooting on a consistent level. The problem in Game 2 was that everyone including Nico Pupos was really off from the outside. If Pupos is really a perennial MVP contender then Game 3 is the perfect time for him to put on a show or else ACSAT's tempo is going to be in trouble.

Another issue is that cut some of the useless physical contact, Gerald Lapuz's fouls were one of those useless ones which could eventually insinuate a fight. Good thing it never happened, but a big body would be a necessity in the crucial stages if Suguitan plays an off game.

For SFACS, if they had the same shooting as in Game 2, they are poise for a shootout with the Lightnings. I also believe that they have been able to stop ACSAT's press last time maybe because the Doves, whether it is their high school team in Las Pinas or Taguig or their main squad, is very reliable on the press as well. Maybe the thing is to set the tone on defense especially in the interior and also by hounding Pupos and the Bolts.

Here's a hope that Game 3 would be a good down-the-wire contest to decide the championship.

LightningMan
10-13-2007, 04:08 AM
The key for SFAC's game 2 victory was IMHO their defense.* ACSAT shooters had a miserable time from the outside.* Pupos even had a 3-point attempt blocked. Dove's shooters also found their mark.* As a team they hit around 7-8 3-pointers.*

The Lightnings' offense usually emanates from the outside or their wing men slashes inside.* Players such as Casil, Igtos, Bularon, Sanchez should give support to Pupos on the offensive side.*

This game will definitely be a down the wire affair. Good luck to both teams.

nastrans
10-13-2007, 06:29 AM
Mukhang excited na si LightningMan sa aga ng kanyang pagpopost :D

Anyway, good luck to both teams alis na ako punta pa ako ng Arena :)

LightningMan
10-13-2007, 06:45 AM
Hahahaha! Maaga talaga magising ang matatanda. ;D

nastrans
10-13-2007, 12:02 PM
St Francis wins the UCAA crown with a 66-65 win, may disputed call in the final seconds more on that later.

LightningMan
10-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Congratulations to the St. Francis Doves! Hopefully makabawi kami sa NCRAA. ;)

LightningMan
10-13-2007, 04:04 PM
St. Francis Wins In A Thriller For 3rd UCAA Title

http://www.ubelt.com/tourney/evt/story.aspx?tourney=ucaa&evt=mbb&id=1445

St. Francis of Assisi College System flew away from a four-year drought to capture the 6th UCAA basketball crown with a pulsating 66-65 victory over Asian College of Science and Technology in the third and deciding game of their series at The Arena in San Juan on October 13.

View Full Article at http://www.ubelt.com/tourney/evt/story.aspx?tourney=ucaa&evt=mbb&id=1445

Reliever Jay Tan put the Doves on top for good with a go-ahead triple while the Doves put on a defensive stop in a disputed call in the final seconds to seal their third league crown, and the first since the 2003 season.

Tan, who had 11 points, waxed hot when needed it most for the Las Piñas-based dribblers as he uncorked a left-corner three for a 64-62 lead with 3:36 in the contest. Most Valuable Player Raymund Ilagan, who was held to only seven markers, scored on a jumper 43 seconds later for a four-point spread, 66-62, ending a 7-0 blast.

Harvey Igtos sliced SFACS' margin to a point on a three-pointer with 1:59 left. After a series of botched plays from both ends, the Lightnings recovered possession with 11.7 ticks left.

On the succeeding end, Nico Pupos was called for a travelling violation with 4.2 seconds as he failed to release the ball from a wall of St Francis defenders sending a dejected ACSAT bench, who believed that Pupos was hacked while in mid-air, in protest.

The Doves ran out the clock after a series of fouls by the Lightnings sending the St Francis side celebrating in unison. A frustrated ACSAT bench, meanwhile, went to the referees and officials to contest the non-call on Pupos.

"Winning my first championship is very overwhelming, I can't put it into words. The boys really deserve to win the title." said St Francis interim coach Luis Monfort.

ES Santos topscored with 16 markers while Mike Rabor had 15, as Ilagan played limited minutes due to foul trouble while Leomer Losentes was limited to only five points following a 20 points outburst in Game 2.

"It was good to see our second stringers showing up a great game, especially Jay [Tan] who made that big three-pointer," Monfort said.

Pupos scored 15 to lead ACSAT while big man Eric Suguitan and Rey Burgos tallied 14, respectively.

After winning the first two editions of the UCAA crown with Ranidel de Ocampo, Ervin Sotto, and Al Vergara parading the team, the Doves failed to enter the finals in 2004 and 2005. Last season, they were swept aside by a three-peat winning Emilio Aguinaldo College in the finals.

Entering this season, Monfort was tasked to handle the team as their head coach Gabby Velasco was banned for a year following a post-game incident with an official last season.

"Malaking pressure talaga sa akin ang maghandle ng team this year dahil wala si coach Gabby," he quirked.

ACSAT took the lead for most part of the second quarter as Suguitan, a former UE Red Warrior, scored 14 points in the said period. However, the Doves closed the last four minutes on a 10-4 advantage with Tan drilling a three-pointer with 17 seconds for an even 33-33 score at the half.

The Lightnings, took another lead as Pupos scored off an inbound for a 41-36 count with 6:39 in the third before Tan and Rabor tied the knot, 41-41, a minute after.

Rookie Michael Sanchez later scored five points, two of those coming from a driving layup for their biggest lead, 55-48, with 40 seconds left, before St Francis rallied in the fourth quarter to set up the crucial moments of the game.

The Doves though went on a 9-1 tear with Tan scoring the last five points to claim the lead, 57-56, 8:22 in the final canto.

Pupos put ACSAT with six straight points for a 62-59 edge with over six minutes to go before starting that big run in the next four minutes.

The Lightnings took Game 1 last Saturday, October 6, with a 65-63 win but the Doves forced a third game with a 69-59 decision four days later.

St Francis ended the elimination round in second place with a 9-5 win-loss record behind the 10-4 Lightnings. In the final four, the Doves dethroned EAC to secure a slot in the finals.

EAC's Gester Ebuen joins Ilagan, teammate Rex Leynes, Pupos, and Suguitan in this year's Mythical selection.

nastrans
10-13-2007, 06:27 PM
Lightning, anu tingin mo may foul ba talaga yung kay Pupos o wala?

And congrats to SFACS for their third UCAA title.

LightningMan
10-15-2007, 03:18 PM
Lightning, anu tingin mo may foul ba talaga yung kay Pupos o wala?

And congrats to SFACS for their third UCAA title.

Judgement call made by the refs. Pupos drove in for the potential game winner and 3 Doves' collapsed on him and Pupos was called for travelling. Anyways, we are a no excuse team. We'll just use this experience to be better prepared if ever the Lightnings are able to get another shot a championship. Better preparation for ON COURT and especially OFF COURT battles.

Congrats to the Doves

nastrans
10-16-2007, 05:53 AM
I thought on my end it could have been a foul on either one of the three Doves players.

But I'm surprised to hear your comment, with the way some of your players complaining after the game (except for coach Ricky) you still end up as a good sport. Anyway, ACSAT will be back I think they be a championship team in a few years to come.

As for St Francis, the crucial thing was that their reserves stepped-up for them when Ilagan and Losentes didn't put up a big game for them. Santos was a usual suspect but Tan's shooting was great while Rabor recovered from Game 2 scoring slump.

Congrats to the Doves.

LightningMan
10-16-2007, 07:42 AM
I guess our players saw that a foul was made by at least two of the Doves players. If not for the cooler heads, malamang may nabugbog na referree dun.

I felt there was a foul when Lightnings point guard Harvey Igtos drove in for a layup midway through the 4th quarter and none was called. The ACSAT side complained to the officials and they sort of made 'bawi' by calling a ticky-tack loose ball foul on Doves center Ilagan in the ensuing play. Two wrong calls made by the refs on two consecutive plays. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Like I said We are a no excuse team. If I may borrow a quote from a UAAP member school 'Win or Lose, we have no excuse'

MykelV
10-16-2007, 08:17 AM
Im a lightning fan myself and although i wasnt there to see if there really was a foul or not... i heard that indeed there was... but if u really look for an excuse on loosing then theres always an excuse for something, better to accept defeat and try to prepare for the battles ahead, so i agree with lightning man... and as i always say myself... "All excuses are equal"

We'll be back.

Go lightnings!!!

gamephase
10-16-2007, 02:52 PM
The father of one of the players of SFAC even approached Lightnings coach Ricky Alcantara and said "The Lightnings didn't lose the game, the referees won it for SFAC."* Bad call made by the referees in game 1 of the 2006-2007 NCRAA finals and now this.* Also, why were the referees who called game 2 of the UCAA finals were also the ones who called game 3? di ba dapat may rotation of referees? Is someone pulling strings here?* Observation ko lang. ???* Calling on commisioner Ted Talens, UCAA board member Tisha Abundo kindly enlighten us. ???

bchoter
10-16-2007, 05:41 PM
Dito na pala napunta si Eric. Sayang tong batang 'to. Masyadong loaded lang talaga ang San Beda. He could have been a contributor on the right team. I could even say that he'd be part of the main rotation of UST if he moved over to Espana. I'm sure coach Joe would have more use for him in UP.

nastrans
10-17-2007, 07:39 AM
I believe the league has the BARECOM as their officials, they have some history of calling some questionable calls in both the UCAA and NCRAA.

Sometimes, it's really a shame that games are deciding by disputed calls but I guess that's why we play the games, bawi na lang sa susunod and hopfully the league officials can make some improvements on the officiating as well through evaluation.

coucou
11-03-2007, 12:00 AM
They got Ben Bikonte and Carlos iroung, But how long they will stay there? Do LPC will Keep them or they will leave LPC? , There are also a camerounian player from patts. How come LPC did not joined the NCRAA ::)

anghusay
11-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Dito na pala napunta si Eric. Sayang tong batang 'to. Masyadong loaded lang talaga ang San Beda. He could have been a contributor on the right team. I could even say that he'd be part of the main rotation of UST if he moved over to Espana. I'm sure coach Joe would have more use for him in UP.

Eric Suguitan is now the leading scorer for the Lightnings in the NCRAA. He has developed a legit post up game to complement his medium range shooting. Moreover, he has learned to control his temper during the game. He will probably make a run for next season's MVP plum. And according to him he made the right move in transferring to ACSAT. Good luck to Eric!

izon
04-11-2008, 08:55 PM
I wonder why Bong Melocoton didn't see action last year for the Generals.* Hubalde and Manansala didn't play for EAC last Saturday versus the Lightnings.*

Correct me if I am wrong, did the players Hubalde and Manansala play in the UAAP?

nastrans
04-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Nico Hubalde is one of PBA legend Freddie's son, its Derrick who played for UST.

As for Manansala, I'm not sure though.

amdgc82
04-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Nichole "Nico" Hubalde and Jaime "JR" Manansala Jr. did not play in UAAP.
Only their brothers played, Dean Paolo Hubalde (UE), Frederick Hubalde (UST) and Jinino Manansala (UST).

izon
04-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Nichole "Nico" Hubalde and Jaime "JR" Manansala Jr. did not play in UAAP.
Only their brothers played, Dean Paolo Hubalde (UE), Frederick Hubalde (UST) and Jinino Manansala (UST).
[/quote

ah ok. thanks for info]