PDA

View Full Version : Face Off! The Hockey Thread

Howard the Duck
09-10-2007, 06:04 PM
Since may NBA, NFL at MLB threads na, might as well start an NHL thread. :D

Will the ducks defend the crown? Will detroit choke at the playoffs? Will Canadian teams breakthrough?

jkad
11-23-2007, 09:56 PM
Hey 5FootCarrot, don't look now but our Rangers are leading the Atlantic division, in spite of its still sputtering offense. We're being carried by Lundquist, "the best goaltender in the world right now" as many experts say. Thing is, we're 0-for-the-Islanders this year ;D

5FootCarrot
11-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Hey jkad, it's good to know that the Rangers are doing well, but of course it's early in the season and they've got to sort out that offense if they want to keep the top spot! (Never mind the Islanders, the Rangers are still cooler than them overall. 8) ) If they do that, I wouldn't be surprised if the team does better than last year. The pieces are gradually falling into place, with a good mix of vets who deliver (Jagr and Shanahan definitely seem to be earning their paychecks, yay) and promising young talent.

And sppeaking of promising young talent, Henrik Lundqvist rocks. I haven't been this confident about the team's goaltending since Mike Richter left the team, and God willing we'll have Henke for a good long time. (He's cute, too :-* Hihihi!)

Howard the Duck
11-29-2007, 11:37 AM
ducks... cooler than the rangers :P

5FootCarrot
11-29-2007, 01:25 PM
ducks... cooler than the rangers :P

Not with their base in Anaheim, which is in the much warmer south compared to the colder northeast. And certainly not with the 11-10-4 card the Ducks are currently holding, compared to the Rangers' 13-9-2. ::)

It's the likelihood of comments like the one I just quoted by the thread starter that has prevented me from replying to this thread for a long time. Howard, if you aren't going to let hockey fans discuss their favorite teams and the sport in general in an intelligent manner on this thread and plan to just keep barging in with unsubstantiated comments like the one above, you should probably get used to talking to yourself here.

Sorry, mods. I'll go back to minding my own business and ignoring what should be ignored now.

jkad
11-29-2007, 01:31 PM
5FC, my brother's Christmas gift to me is a Slingbox connected to his Satellite tv in LA so I can watch Rangers games live, tomorrow AM is the 4th installment of Rangers vs Islanders this season (0 - 3 tayo so far ;D)

5FootCarrot
11-29-2007, 01:42 PM
Congratulations, jkad, what a cool Christmas present :) I still wish hockey games were more accessible on cable, though. Medyo may pagka-engs din ang marketing ng NHL.

Good luck to our Rangers against the Isles.

5FootCarrot
02-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Eeewwww!!! :o

Richard Zednik severs carotid artery in freak skate accident (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080211/ap_on_sp_ho_ga_su/hkn_panthers_sabres;_ylt=AsPoCBOQ9Qj3ArbgACjVj5w1y 7QF)

(But don't worry, folks, latest news is that doctors have upgraded his condition from stable to good.)

BLUE HORSE
02-13-2008, 08:39 PM
They showed the replay on tv. The teammate of Zednik and an opposing player collided with the teammate falling face down and his left leg up in the air. Zednik apparently ducked to avoid the high sticks and in doing so the skates of his teammate brushed the side of his neck. It looked liked the beginning of a "Colombian" necktie. Zednik did not panic and skated to the bench and was helped by the trainer of Buffalo when the blood started squirting from his neck. The doctors were able to connect the severed carotid artery but he lost a lot of blood on his way to the hospital.

Then there was another accident the next night, again involving a falling player. This time, the player was nicked by the skates of the fallen player just above the eye. The trainer was able to stitch the wound and the player returned to the bench for additional shift time.

john_paul_manahan
02-14-2008, 04:57 AM
shades of the macawarchuck (?) injury.

i couldnt bear myself to watch the replay. just like the shaun livingston injury,

CM_Punk
02-15-2008, 08:19 AM
NHL trade deadline is later this month. Expect to see veterans sold off to the highest bidders again, in exchange for prospects and draft picks. Lots of good teams in the West who could make a deal to bolster their roster.

CM_Punk
02-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Peter Forsberg is coming back to his original NHL team, as he has signed with the Colorado Avalanche. It remains to be seen if he can provide a big impact down the stretch as he gets back into game shape, compared to his forgettable stint with Nashville last year.

The team to beat is still Anaheim, with the return of Scott Niedermayer and Teemu Selanne to bolster their roster for another shot at repeating as Stanley Cup champions.

Howard the Duck
04-02-2008, 08:44 PM
i wonder if a canadian team can bring the cup back to canada ;D

CM_Punk
04-10-2008, 10:14 PM
I'm rooting for Montreal to win the Stanley Cup, led by their new franchise goalie, Carey Price. Go Habs! Bring the Stanley Cup back to Canada!* ;D

Jaco D
04-11-2008, 06:08 AM
Though I bleed Leafs blue, I'm rooting for their bitter rivals the Habs. It's been quite a while since the orinola moved up north.

jkad
04-11-2008, 07:43 AM
The Habs are due, they haven't won a Stanley Cup in 15 years (1993 being the last versus the LA Kings of Wayne Gretzky). This by far has been the longest winless streak of the winningest franchise in NHL history.

Howard the Duck
04-12-2008, 01:36 PM
WTF happened to the ducks? 0-4 at the pond?

CM_Punk
04-22-2008, 09:47 AM
Montreal wins their 1st round series, soundly beating Boston 5-0 in their game 7, Carey Price with the big shutout. After a tough series against the Bruins, the Habs moves on to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

CM_Punk
05-19-2008, 12:13 PM
The Penguins advance to the Stanley Cup Finals after beating the Flyers, their first finals since the post-Mario Lemieux era. Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin are the new Jagr-Lemieux combo of the new generation.* ;)

john_paul_manahan
05-20-2008, 01:15 PM
it's redwings vs penguins for lord stanley's cup.

danny
05-28-2008, 03:01 AM
Penguins resort to whining.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/red-wings--penguins-game-2-52608-penguins-whining/3229655013

Frustrated Penguins resort to whining

By Ross McKeon, Yahoo! Sports 12 hours, 48 minutes ago

And here’s about when you figure I trash the Pittsburgh Penguins.

They don’t have a goal since the Eastern Conference finals. Monday night they didn’t have a shot until they trailed the Detroit Red Wings 2-0. All the line juggling from the 4-0 loss in Game 1 to the 3-0 loss in Game 2 amounted to zilch in the Stanley Cup finals. And their coach, Michel Therrien, stooped to whining about the officiating afterward, as if anyone is going to buy that commentary for the reason his team is halfway done for the season.

But no, this is not a time to rag on the vastly talented team that is happy to be heading home after two games in Detroit. This is what would be happening if the opponent was the Philadelphia Flyers, New York Rangers or Montreal Canadiens.

This was exactly what happened when the opponent was the Dallas Stars, Colorado Avalanche and Nashville Predators.

It’s simple: The Red Wings are head and shoulders above everyone in an otherwise parity-filled league, and time is running out to be proven otherwise.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=rm-cupgametwo052608&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

King_stag
05-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Canucks’ Luc Bourdon killed in motorcycle crash

AP - May 29, 2:55 pm EDT NHL Gallery SHIPPAGAN, New Brunswick (AP)—Luc Bourdon, a promising rookie defenseman with the Vancouver Canucks, was killed Thursday when his motorcycle struck a tractor-trailer in a crash near his hometown. He was 21.

His death was confirmed by sister Eve Bourdon and stepmother Maryse Godin. Both declined further comment when reached at the family’s home in Shippagan.

Police wouldn’t confirm the identity of the victim but said a motorcyclist was killed in the early afternoon on a road between Shippagan and Lameque.

“Luc was an extremely talented player with a bright future,” Canucks general manager Mike Gillis said in a statement. “He brought great passion to the game and was a valued team member on and off the ice.”

Bourdon’s agent, Kent Hughes, called his client a winner and a competitor.

“There was no quit in him,” said Hughes, who knew Bourdon since the player was 15. “He persevered through a lot. He was a great guy and a great teammate.”

Bourdon was the first-round draft pick of the Canucks in 2005, selected 10th overall. He split time this season with the Canucks and the Manitoba Moose of the American Hockey League. In 27 games with the Canucks, he scored twice and had no assists.

“Through hard work and perseverance, Luc was able to realize his dream of becoming an NHL player,” Paul Kelly, executive director of the players’ union. “Luc had a promising life and career ahead of him and he will certainly be missed.”

Bourdon played on the Canadian team that won the gold medal at the 2006 world junior hockey championship in Vancouver and made the tournament’s all-star team. He helped Canada win another gold at the 2007 tournament in Sweden.

Bourdon played for Val d’Or, Moncton and Cape Breton of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League before turning pro.

john_paul_manahan
06-02-2008, 04:44 PM
3-1 series to the red wings.

5FootCarrot
06-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Red Wings win the Cup. Ho-hum.

CM_Punk
06-05-2008, 09:34 PM
With the NHL season over, time to focus on the upcoming NHL draft. Tampa Bay will surely select Sarnia's Steven Stamkos with the #1 pick, but the rest of the lottery slots are wide open. Good draft for defensemen, but a shallow pool of top forwards available.

CM_Punk
06-10-2008, 04:32 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/hockey/nhl/06/09/bc.hkn.redwings.hasekre.ap/index.html

Hasek announces retirement
Posted: Monday June 9, 2008 11:34AM; Updated: Tuesday June 10, 2008 1:42AM

DETROIT (AP) -- The passion that made Dominik Hasek great is gone.

So, the goaltender known as the Dominator said goodbye to the Detroit Red Wings and NHL.

"Physically, I'm felling great -- as well as ever," Hasek said Monday as he announced his retirement. "I just don't feel that I'm ready to compete on the highest level.

"I need motivation. Right now, I don't feel it's there and I don't want to disappoint anyone."

Hasek rarely did disappoint during his 16 seasons, becoming the first goalie to be a two-time MVP. He won six Vezina Trophies, trailing only Jacques Plante's total by one.

Hasek's announcement came five days after the Red Wings won the Stanley Cup over Pittsburgh.

Detroit general manager Ken Holland said Hasek's place in history is secured, calling him not only one of the greatest goalies of his era -- along with Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur -- but also one of the best in NHL history.

"He's a first-ballot Hall of Famer," Holland said.

Former Red Wings great Steve Yzerman agreed.

"You're splitting hairs if you pick one between Dom, Roy and Brodeur because they all had different styles," said Yzerman, a team executive and former teammate of Hasek's. "It's like comparing Mercedes, Ferrari to Porsche."

Hasek lost his job during Detroit's run to the Cup, getting benched for good during the opening-round series in favor of Chris Osgood. The 43-year-old from the Czech Republic insisted he would've retired even if he stayed in net throughout the playoffs.

"I am leaving this game feeling very, very happy," he said.

Holland didn't try to persuade Hasek to return for another season.

"There was nothing to discuss," Holland said. "Dom was completely at peace with the decision that he had made."

Holland said minor league goalie Jimmy Howard might get a shot to be Osgood's backup next season, but didn't rule out adding a veteran via trade or free agency.

Hasek won 389 games with the Red Wings, Ottawa Senators, Buffalo Sabres and Chicago Blackhawks, who drafted him in the 10th round in 1983 and had to wait until the 1990-91 season to get him on the ice. Chicago kept him just two seasons, then watched him become one of the game's greats in Buffalo.

Hasek ranks 10th in NHL history in wins and goals-against average and is tied for sixth in shutouts, according to STATS.

He won 65 playoff games, including 16 in 2002 when he won his first Stanley Cup with Detroit.

"It was our goaltender who made the difference that year," Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch said.

Hasek led the Czech Republic to gold at the 1998 Nagano Olympics, was injured while playing for his country in 2006 and laughed when asked if he would come out of retirement to play in 2010 in Vancouver.

He plans to return to the Czech Republic soon with his wife and daughter, leaving his son behind to attend Michigan State University.

During this past regular season, Hasek won 27 games and had a 2.14 goals-against average while alternating with Osgood in net.

Detroit coach Mike Babcock chose to start Hasek in the playoffs -- saying "Dom's not going to struggle" -- then pulled him in favor of Osgood during Game 4 of the first round against the Nashville Predators.

Osgood won his first nine games as a starter in the postseason and finished with a 14-4 record and a league-low 1.55 goals-against average, keeping Hasek on the bench.

After an injury-shortened season with the Senators, Hasek returned to the Red Wings two years ago.

He signed a one-year contract worth $750,000 in 2006 and made $900,000 in bonuses. He chose to stick around last summer with a one-year contract worth more than $2 million in base salary with a chance to earn an additional $2 million in bonuses.

Detroit acquired Hasek the first time in 2001 in a trade with Buffalo, where he had been since 1992. He backstopped the Red Wings to the championship during his first season in Detroit, then retired.

Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom, who helped gather about 20 teammates to Joe Louis Arena for Hasek's news conference, said the Dominator's competitive streak made him special.

"He hated to get scored on -- even in practice," Lidstrom said. "If you got one past him, he would yell at you, 'Shoot again!' Of course, that didn't happen very much because he was so good."

Howard the Duck
06-16-2008, 01:47 AM
Congratulations Red Wings!

not :p

CM_Punk
06-18-2008, 07:00 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/hockey/nhl/06/17/bc.hkn.nhl.halloffame.ap/index.html?eref=T1

Larionov, Anderson elected to Hockey Hall of Fame

Posted: Tuesday June 17, 2008 6:14PM; Updated: Tuesday June 17, 2008 9:07PM

TORONTO (AP) -- It was only a few weeks ago that Igor Larionov and Glenn Anderson were playing exhibition games together in Europe and had a discussion about how nice it would be to enter the Hockey Hall of Fame at the same time.

Turns out it was more than just wishful thinking.

The Russian center and former Edmonton Oilers winger were elected to the Hall on Tuesday along with former linesman Ray Scapinello and junior hockey builder Ed Chynoweth.

Larionov and Anderson were recently in Russia to play during a celebration for Slava Fetisov's 50th birthday and traveled to Belarus to help open an arena on the invitation of Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko.

"Igor and I were kind of talking about this," said Anderson. "We were thinking if we do get in, it's going to be -- I don't know if we can compare it to what the party was like over in Moscow and in Belarus.

"We'll try our hardest to make it a good one."

It's hard to blame them. They each had to wait.

Many were surprised that Larionov was passed over after first becoming eligible last year. He was graceful in complimenting the 2007 inductees and indicated that it was no less special to receive a call 12 months later.

"I was really overwhelmed by the news," said Larionov. "It's a big, big honor."

The call was even longer coming for Anderson. He's been eligible since 1999 and had to watch as 23 players were enshrined before him during that time.

A 17-man panel is currently responsible for making the Hall selections and at least 75 per cent of those men must endorse a candidate for him to gain election. This was probably Anderson's last really good shot because the NHL lockout kept any new players from playing their last game three years ago and becoming eligible.

Anderson was nervous in recent days and ended up getting a little choked up after finding out he'd be joining several former Edmonton teammates in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

"It's very emotional," he said. "This is right up there with one of the great things I've done in life."

The induction ceremony will be held on Nov. 10.

Larionov had already won two Olympic gold medals and was considered one of the top players in the world when he joined the Vancouver Canucks in 1989. He was 29 at the time and among the first wave of Soviet players to come to North America.

Success was slow to come and Larionov found himself battling with San Jose Sharks management after they claimed him on waivers from Vancouver.

The turning point in his NHL career came early one morning in October 1995 when he received a call from Scotty Bowman and found out he'd been acquired by the Detroit Red Wings. Larionov soon found himself playing on a five-man Russian unit with Sergei Fedorov, Slava Kozlov, Vladimir Konstantinov and Fetisov.

He ended up winning three Stanley Cups in Hockeytown.

"Finally I had a chance ... to play the style I was taught to play in Russia," Larionov said. "Puck control, possession, skating and creativity.

"Those eight seasons in Detroit I played for the Red Wings ... that was success, that was fun, that was unbelievable support from the fans and the coaches and all the staff who was putting the team together. It was incredible."

Anderson won six Stanley Cups during his career and ranks fifth in HL history with 93 career playoff goals.

He was known as a big game player and became a key part of the Oilers dynasty. Anderson will now be enshrined with former teammates Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, Grant Fuhr and Jari Kurri.

"It's definitely well deserved and long overdue," Gretzky said. "I don't think there was a better playoff pressure player other than maybe Rocket Richard. His championships and statistics speak for themselves and, more importantly, he was an unselfish teammate."

Scapinello began his career as an NHL linesman in 1971 and didn't retire until 33 years later. In the meantime, he worked almost 3,000 career games -- 2,508 in the regular season, 426 in playoffs -- and never missed an assignment.

Chynoweth was a longtime president of the Western Hockey League and helped found the Canadian Hockey League in 1973. He ended up being in charge of both leagues for two decades before stepping down in 1995 to purchase the expansion Kootenay Ice, who went on to win the Memorial Cup in 2002.

Chynoweth died in April at the age of 66 of cancer.

The Hall will also honor former Canadian Press hockey writer Neil Stevens with the Elmer Ferguson Memorial Award and broadcaster Mike (Doc) Emrick with the Foster Hewitt Memorial Award.

5FootCarrot
06-19-2008, 08:37 AM
The things I remember most about Glenn Anderson are his Ned Flanders mustache and Wayne Gretzky's stories about him being an eccentric genius.

Oh, and the story about him trying to take on an entire opposing hockey team all by himself ;D

Jaco D
06-19-2008, 10:35 PM
Darn, overall nice-guy Dougie Gilmour didn't get the nod to the Hall.* :(

5FootCarrot
06-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Oo nga pala, eligible na rin siya. It's too bad he hasn't been named to the HOF yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before he gets there :)

I like Doug Gilmour a lot, too - honestly, I like him more than either Anderson or Larionov :P

CM_Punk
06-20-2008, 12:31 PM
Yes, Doug Gilmour should have been included in the Hall of Fame this year. I read somewhere that up to 4 players could have been selected for the 2008 inductees, but only Larionov and Anderson were taken. I would argue that Gilmour is a more well-known and popular player compared to Anderson, although both players actually played on the same Toronto team in the early 1990's.

5FootCarrot
06-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Yes, Gilmour and Anderson were teammates, but before their paths crossed in Toronto, Glenn Anderson was (as stated in the article posted earlier on this thread) a member of the Oilers dynasty team that also had Gretzky, Messier, Kurri and Fuhr. For his part, Larionov IIRC was a member of the Big Red Machine that was the Soviet superteam of the 1970s and 80s (the one that got beaten by the US Miracle Team in Lake Placid).

Gilmour's own hockey resume is pretty good, especially in terms of individual achievements, but maybe not as eyecatching as the others.

Is Adam Oates already in the Hall of Fame? Because according to Wikipedia, Gilmour is the second highest scoring player in history still eligible for induction, second to Oates.

CM_Punk
06-20-2008, 02:45 PM
It will be tougher for Doug Gilmour and Adam Oates to get inducted next year, as the "new" players eligible to be included in the Hall of Fame in 2009 include Steve Yzerman, Brett Hull, Luc Robitaille, Brian Leetch and Dave Andreychuk. Since up to 4 players maximum are allowed each year to be included, a bunch of players are gonna get left off the list again next year.

5FootCarrot
06-21-2008, 07:58 AM
Naku patay! ;D Of those five, I'd say the first four are the most likely to get the nod. Maybe Big Dave will join his former Toronto teammate in the waiting list.

I'm sure they'll eventually get inducted into the HHOF, if not right away. And it won't be a posthumous honor ;D

CM_Punk
06-21-2008, 12:12 PM
As expected, Tampa Bay selects Steve Stamkos with the #1 pick in the 2008 NHL draft. The next four picks #2-5 made by LA, Atlanta, St. Louis, and Toronto are all defensemen (Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo, Schenn), followed by the first European taken, Filatov going #6 to Columbus. Of course, since ESPN stopped showing NHL hockey over here a few years back, the only time I'll be able to see these guys play is on Internet highlights :(

5FootCarrot
06-24-2008, 10:25 AM
"Just know that you may get your ass kicked by a very expensive pair of shoes—and that they'll probably match both my belt and my shirt." - New York Rangers left wing Sean Avery, daring people to make fun of his love for fashion

You can read more on mensvogue.com - http://www.mensvogue.com/magazine/articles/2008/06/sean-avery

CM_Punk
07-06-2008, 12:07 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/hockey/nhl/07/04/bc.hko.jagr.avangard.ap/index.html

Jagr signs with Avangard Omsk

Posted: Friday July 4, 2008 9:17AM; Updated: Friday July 4, 2008 8:16PM

MOSCOW (AP) -- Jaromir Jagr signed with a Russian team a day after his split with the New York Rangers, leaving the NHL after nearly two decades and returning to the club he joined during the 2004-05 lockout.

The Russian League team Avangard Omsk announced the signing of the 36-year-old Czech winger on its Web site Friday.

"It was the toughest decision in my life, hockeywise. ... No question about it. I hate making changes," Jagr told The Canadian Press.

Jagr's agent, Pat Brisson, confirmed the signing in an e-mail. He and Jagr, as well the team, wouldn't comment on contract terms. However, the deal is believed to be for two years plus an option for a third, and will pay Jagr about $7 million tax free, the equivalent of about $11 million a season in the NHL.

"It was a very difficult but personal decision to make in light of the many NHL teams interested in his services," Brisson said. "He is grateful to the NHL and especially the Rangers in recent years."

Jagr enjoyed his experience in Omsk during the lockout.

"Don't forget I'm from Europe," Jagr told the CP. "Russia is nothing new for me. It's close to the Czech Republic. It would be different for American or Canadian players. But for me, I enjoy it. The people love hockey and I had a great time out there."

Pittsburgh, Edmonton and the Rangers are believed to have had the most interest in Jagr. All offered one-year deals.

"I want to thank all the teams that still believed in me and still made an offer," Jagr said. "Edmonton was probably the biggest offer I got. It was a great offer, to be honest with you."

Jagr had long been reported to be considering lucrative offers from Russia. Rangers general manager Glen Sather grew impatient waiting for serious negotiations with Jagr's side and went in another direction Thursday, signing former Vancouver Canucks captain Markus Naslund and making Jagr's return unlikely.

"I'm thankful for the three years I had in New York," Jagr said. "They were great years. I understand that I'm older and the team decided to go in a different direction because they couldn't get the deal done."

If Jagr had reached 84 points or won a major NHL award this season, his expiring contract would have been automatically extended for one year.

He just missed being league MVP two years ago when he was the runner-up after breaking Rangers records for goals (54) and points (123) in a season.

Though Jagr finished with 71 points this past season, his inspired play over the final weeks of the regular season and his five-goal, 10-assist outburst in 10 postseason games showed he has plenty of game left.

Jagr began his NHL career in 1990 and played for Pittsburgh, Washington and the Rangers. In 1,273 NHL games, he had 1,599 points on 646 goals and 953 assists.

The Rangers reached the playoffs each of the last three seasons -- the past two with Jagr as captain -- but didn't get past the second round. After the season ended, Jagr indicated he planned to eventually return to the Czech Republic to play for his hometown club in Kladno.

"I don't think I would sign longer than two years, just because of my dad," Jagr said in May. "He asked me to come home in two years. He's helping to build a new arena there and he wants me to be there."

Jagr noted that this might not be the last time he plays in North America, pointing toward the Winter Olympics in two years.

"Maybe," he told the CP, "I will see you in Vancouver in 2010."

CM_Punk
07-14-2008, 07:57 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/hockey/nhl/07/13/bolts.lecavalier.ap/index.html

Bolts' Lecavalier inks $85M deal

Posted: Sunday July 13, 2008 5:33PM; Updated: Sunday July 13, 2008 5:33PM

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- All-Star center Vincent Lecavalier signed an 11-year, $85-million contract extension that he hopes will keep him in a Tampa Bay Lightning uniform for the remainder of his career.

"Not only is Vincent one of the most dynamic players in the NHL, he's one of the classiest people you'll ever meet off the ice, as well," Lightning vice president of hockey operations Brian Lawton said Sunday in a team statement.

"With this deal, our ownership has made it clear that he is the cornerstone of the Lightning, and Vincent has shown his dedication to the franchise and the Tampa Bay area by signing for less than he undoubtedly would've received on the open market."

New owners Oren Koules and Len Barrie will join Lecavalier at a news conference Tuesday that will be followed by an autograph signing for season ticket holders and a town hall meeting featuring the owners, Lecavalier and new coach Barry Melrose.

The 28-year-old forward, who helped Tampa Bay win its only Stanley Cup championship four years ago, had one season left on a four-year, $27.4 million contract. The new deal begins after next season.

"I'm proud and honored to be committing myself ... for the rest of my NHL career," Lecavalier said. "It's no secret how I feel about the organization, the fans and the Tampa Bay community, and there's no place else I'd rather be.

"Combine that with the enthusiasm and commitment to winning that has been shown by owners Oren Koules and Len Barrie, and signing this long-term deal was an easy decision."

Lecavalier scored an NHL-leading 52 goals during the 2006-07 season, then added 40 goals last season while hiking his franchise-best career totals to 273 goals and 602 points. The three-time All-Star was the first pick in the 1998 draft, and the new deal extends through the 2019-20 season, when he turns 40.

CM_Punk
07-17-2008, 12:51 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/hockey/more/07/15/2009.draft.ap/index.html

Canadiens to host 2009 NHL Draft

Posted: Tuesday July 15, 2008 10:29PM; Updated: Tuesday July 15, 2008 10:32PM

MONTREAL (AP) -- The Montreal Canadiens will host the 2009 NHL draft in their new home for the first time.

Canadiens general manager Bob Gainey and the NHL announced Tuesday that the Bell Centre will host the draft June 26-27, coinciding with the club's centennial celebration.

"In December 2009, the Canadiens will become the first professional hockey team to celebrate a century of history," Canadiens president Pierre Boivin said in a statement. "Thanks to the NHL, the Entry Draft is back in Montreal after 17 years. We are excited about this occasion, knowing the past history of the Draft and its origins in Montreal."

The draft has grown significantly since it was held in a hotel ballroom in Montreal in 1963. After 17 years of being conducted in hotels and the league offices in Montreal, the draft was held at the Montreal Forum, the Canadiens' old home, in 1980 in front of more than 2,000 spectators.

In 1985, the draft was held outside Montreal for the first time as a crowd of 7,000 filled the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.

Montreal also hosted the draft in 1986, 1988 and 1992.

CM_Punk
08-01-2008, 10:18 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/hockey/nhl/07/31/bc.hkn.blackhawks.bowman.ap/index.html

Bowman leaves Wings for Blackhawks

Posted: Thursday July 31, 2008 2:20PM; Updated: Thursday July 31, 2008 2:24PM

CHICAGO (AP) -- Hockey Hall of Fame coach Scotty Bowman is joining the Chicago Blackhawks as a senior adviser for hockey operations.

Bowman has won nine Stanley Cup championships as a coach. He's to be introduced at an afternoon news conference at the United Center.

The 74-year-old Bowman has been a special consultant with the Detroit Red Wings, a team he coached to three Stanley Cup titles.

He also won five championships with the Montreal Canadiens and another with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Red Wings general manager Ken Holland says he's going to miss Bowman "personally and professionally" but that he's "earned the right to pursue whatever opportunities he thinks will make him happy."

CM_Punk
08-01-2008, 10:20 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/hockey/nhl/07/31/bc.hkn.oilers.gm.ap/index.html

Oilers promote Lowe, name Tambellini GM

Posted: Thursday July 31, 2008 2:21PM; Updated: Thursday July 31, 2008 2:58PM

EDMONTON, Alberta (AP) -- The Edmonton Oilers promoted general manager Kevin Lowe to president of hockey operations and named Steve Tambellini to replace him Thursday.

Kevin Prendergast, the team's longtime vice president of hockey operations, is the new assistant general manager.

Lowe had been general manager since 2000 and helped guide the team to the Stanley Cup final in 2006.

Tambellini takes over the Oilers after 17 seasons in a variety of management roles with the Vancouver Canucks.

He served as their vice president and assistant general manager the past three seasons.

CM_Punk
08-13-2008, 09:18 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/hockey/nhl/08/12/hull.us.hall/index.html

Hull, Leetch, Richter, Granato make U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame

Posted: Tuesday August 12, 2008 4:40PM; Updated: Tuesday August 12, 2008 4:40PM

EVELETH, Minn. (AP) -- Brett Hull and longtime New York Rangers Brian Leetch and Mike Richter are members of the 2008 class of the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame.

The four-member group announced Tuesday also includes Cammi Granato, the all-time scoring leader for the U.S. women's hockey team with 343 points in 205 games.

Hull, one of the leading goal scorers in NHL history with 741, recorded 1,391 points in a 20-year career that included Stanley Cup titles in Dallas and Detroit.

Leetch was an 11-time All-Star in 18 NHL seasons, all but one with the Rangers. He won two Norris Trophies as the league's best defenseman and was a Stanley Cup playoff MVP.

Richter was a three-time All-Star in a 14-year career as goalie with the Rangers.

CM_Punk
09-02-2008, 11:11 PM
Avs sign Sakic to new contract

Posted: Wednesday August 27, 2008 3:45PM; Updated: Wednesday August 27, 2008 9:30PM

DENVER (AP) -- Patience paid off for the Colorado Avalanche, who signed Joe Sakic to a one-year, $6 million contract Wednesday after he decided to play a 20th season in the NHL rather than call it a career.

"Ultimately it came down to the fact that I still enjoy playing and competing," the 39-year-old captain said in a statement released by the team. "I'm comfortable with my conditioning and my overall health. I'm ready for the start of camp and am looking forward to the upcoming season."

Because the Democratic National Convention is taking place this week at the Pepsi Center, the Avs' home, the team said it wouldn't hold a news conference until next week.

Sakic's teammates had started to fear he wasn't coming back, and the announcement was a relief.

"Everybody was starting to worry what Joe was going to do," forward Ian Laperriere told The Associated Press. "It's great news for more than one reason. What he brings to the ice, everyone knows, Joe is Joe. But what he brings to the locker room, the respect, everybody's so calm when he's around. That's what he brings that people don't see."

Read full article here-- http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/hockey/nhl/08/27/bc.hkn.avalanche.sakic.ap/index.html

jkad
10-06-2008, 08:04 AM
Hey 5FC, our Rangers are now 2-0 to start the NHL season. This time we're gonna try to do it without a high-priced marquee player. The "C" will be worn by quiet and unassuming Chris Drury this year, the "A"s by Scott Gomez and by the oldest man on the team, 35 year old Markus Naslund.

CM_Punk
10-14-2008, 09:50 AM
R.I.P. to Cherepanov. Jagr must feel terrible...

Rangers prospect Cherepanov dies during game in Russia

NEW YORK (AP) -- Alexei Cherepanov, a 19-year-old first-round draft pick of the New York Rangers, died Monday during a Continental Hockey League game in Russia.

Former Rangers captain Jaromir Jagr played a shift with Cherepanov and was talking to his young Avangard Omsk teammate on the bench shortly after they left the ice, when Cherepanov suddenly collapsed, said a Rangers spokesman who talked to Jagr.

There was no collision that preceded the collapse, the spokesman said, but no other details were available. Cherepanov scored the first goal of the game and had eight in 15 contests this season, his third with Avangard Omsk.

Read full article here- http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/hockey/nhl/10/13/bc.hkn.rangers.prospect.ap/index.html

CM_Punk
02-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Slumping Pens replace coach Therrien with Bylsma

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer

PITTSBURGH (AP)—Only Scotty Bowman and the late Bob Johnson were more successful as the Pittsburgh Penguins’ coach than Michel Therrien was, and both of them are in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

No Penguins coach engineered a turnaround like Therrien did. No Penguins coach, it can be argued, got more from his teams than Therrien did.

None of that mattered in a league where no coach is likely to keep his job long when a team expected to contend for the Stanley Cup is in danger of missing the playoffs.

Therrien paid the price for the Penguins’ post-Stanley Cup slump, getting fired Sunday night with more than two seasons left on a $1-million-a-year contract he signed shortly after coaching them to the NHL finals last season. He was replaced by minor-league coach Dan Bylsma, a former NHL forward who was given only a few hours to prepare for Monday afternoon’s game against the New York Islanders.

“I owe it to the franchise and the organization to take the steps necessary that I think are best, and that’s what led me to do what I did,” general manager Ray Shero said.

Therrien wasn’t a players’ coach—no, he was always the boss, a disciplinarian who demanded that his stars play both ends of the ice—but his rebuilding effort was unequaled in the franchise’s 42-year history.

In December 2005, Therrien inherited from the ousted Eddie Olczyk a team that averaged only 25 wins over four seasons. In barely a year, Therrien transformed it into one that won 47 games each of the last two seasons and made the franchise’s first Stanley Cup finals appearance in 16 years.

Even with world-class forwards Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin atop Therrien’s lineup and Marc-Andre Fleury in net, not much has gone right with this team since it opened the season 12-4-3. Since mid-November, the Penguins are 15-21-2 during a slide that has dropped them into 10th place in the Eastern Conference, five points out of the last playoff spot with a 27-25-5 record.

Read complete article here-
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AgfiuElDvVQdzmmv6SP8.6N7vLYF?slug=ap-penguins-coachfired&prov=ap&type=lgns

Outlander
10-04-2009, 11:54 PM
For those with Sky Cable, you can subscribe to the new sports channel being offered, All Sports Network (ASN) channel 158 to catch NHL games live on television. We just subscribed last Friday, and I'm looking forward to watching NHL games again this season ;D

danny
06-02-2011, 03:48 AM
Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

The puck drops at 5:00 P.M. Pacific.

http://media.mmgdailies.topscms.com/images/3f/5b/f06b2fb34ecb8a1e8c6f5895c509.jpeg

Go Canucks! ;D

danny
06-02-2011, 08:43 AM
Wahoooooo!!!!! Just in time for the puck drop!

Watch it live!

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hockeynightincanada/allaccess/

bigfreeze_bibby
08-02-2011, 02:27 PM
For those with Sky Cable, you can subscribe to the new sports channel being offered, All Sports Network (ASN) channel 158 to catch NHL games live on television. We just subscribed last Friday, and I'm looking forward to watching NHL games again this season ;D

Sobrang sulit itong channel na ito. Aside from NHL, I can now watch NFL games as well. I got subscribed just in time for the Stanley Cup playoffs.

It was just unfortunate to see Vancouver fans rioting after their loss to the Bruins. I actually thought that the home team will win every series match so even if I was rooting for Boston, I somewhat expected Vancouver to gain an advantage in Game 7.

Naisip ko na lang and analogy na parang Smart-Gilas ito na natalo ng Indonesia ng tambak sa SEABA or SEA Games tournament. Siguro magwawala din ang mga Pinoy about it. Hockey is considered as "Canada's" game, that's why they are very, very passionate about it.

Outlander
08-02-2011, 03:57 PM
^ Yup, we've been subscribing to ASN since October 2009, and sobrang sulit nga ang channel na ito, as my Dad and I are big NHL and NFL fans as well. I root for the Canadian teams, so I was disappointed that the Canucks lost in the Stanley Cup Finals last season. I'm also looking forward to seeing the reborn Winnipeg Jets (check out my avatar, heh), as that team has some young, promising talent who will finally get appreciated after leaving Atlanta, where people there don't really care much for hockey.

bigfreeze_bibby
08-03-2011, 06:24 PM
^ Yup, we've been subscribing to ASN since October 2009, and sobrang sulit nga ang channel na ito, as my Dad and I are big NHL and NFL fans as well. I root for the Canadian teams, so I was disappointed that the Canucks lost in the Stanley Cup Finals last season. I'm also looking forward to seeing the reborn Winnipeg Jets (check out my avatar, heh), as that team has some young, promising talent who will finally get appreciated after leaving Atlanta, where people there don't really care much for hockey.

Actually pati Phoenix franchise sana ibigay na lang sa ibang city na suitable for hockey market.

Yeah, I'd like to see how Winnipeg performs on their return stint in the NHL.

danny
01-08-2012, 02:48 AM
Boston sucks! All thugs just like Fascist America!

Hail Canuckistan!

jkad
03-29-2012, 12:11 PM
5FootCarrot, unbelievable that it's been 18 years since the Rangers glorious Stanley Cup season...now they're vying for the President's trophy and are serious contenders for the Cup. Let's Go Rangers.