PDA

View Full Version : Basketball TV and Solar Sports wala na sa Skycable starting January 1, 2008

james_ty
09-07-2007, 12:06 PM
HERE is some bad news to all of us hoop junkies.

In the Philippine Star this morning, Skycable announced in its ads that it will launch a new sports channel called Balls on Channel 33.

This new channel is currently airing the US Open Tennis championships.

Because of this new channel, Skycable has also announced that beginning January 1, 2008, Basketball TV and Solar Sports will no longer be seen on the said cable provider.

This shows how selfish the Lopez family is slowly trying to monopolize the cable TV industry.

Not only that, the Lopez family is still under fire because of the Wowowee controversy and they also put up a men's magazine -- MAXIM -- because they are envious of FHM.

If you still want to watch BTV and Solar Sports, switch to Destiny Cable -- which is what I'll be doing next year.

What are your reactions? Post them here!

Raging Blue
09-07-2007, 03:57 PM
ABS CBN ain't got the COJONES >:( >:( >:(

Paano naman yung mga Skycable subscribers next year?

Sasaya naman mga Destiny subscribers like Jeep :)

Jeep
09-07-2007, 04:13 PM
^raging, natumbok mo! you are a prophet, indeed!* ;D

actually, destiny subscribers can already have basketball TV on their channel listing. but we have to shell out an additional amount (not so sure how much). for that amount, destiny will bundle an HBO premium channel, ESPN, and one more (which i now forget).

i'll just wait for destiny to offer basketball TV as a regular feed once the channel's relationship with sky is cut. aside from ESPN, i don't see any need for the other two channels. yun nga lang regular na HBO, hindi ko na napapanood, dadagdagan ko pa?! ??? although, once the UAAP season is over, i guess i'll have more slack time then.

pero teka, may CCL pa, may HAIL, may FMC, etc., etc. ;D

flsfnoeraekadad
09-07-2007, 04:46 PM
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?! :( ::)

dark_seid
09-07-2007, 04:58 PM
for that amount, destiny will bundle an HBO premium channel, ESPN, and one more (which i now forget).

the additional lineup is espn, star sports, btv, s2 (mostly european sports), hbo (with chinese subs), an indian (hopefully i got the nationality correct) channel

sorry but i forgot how much is the additional you have to shell out per month and also for the black box

easter
09-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Is there any confirmation on this news? BTV has exclusive rights to the NBA so if this happens, it means that there will be no more NBA games on Skycable?

bluewing
09-07-2007, 05:37 PM
SKY SUBSCRIBERS!

LIPAT NA TAYO!!!

;D

seriously, lilipat na ako sa december. para happy new year!

easter
09-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Sino taga Laguna dito (San Pedro)? May iba pa bang choice besides Sky Cable? :D

aircanda
09-07-2007, 07:55 PM
mga sir..magi2ng reg. channel ba ang btv sa destiny?

Howard the Duck
09-07-2007, 09:08 PM
sa probinsya na lang kayong magpunta nang walang sky at solar pero may mga matitinong channels ;D

rclionheart
09-20-2007, 11:07 PM
Below is the "allegedly" true reason for the BTV pullout from the sky cable channel programming...

http://spankyenriquez.blogspot.com/2...ng-ina-mo.html

Howard the Duck
09-21-2007, 11:00 AM
Below is the "allegedly" true reason for the BTV pullout from the sky cable channel programming...

404 error ;D

MonL
09-23-2007, 07:22 AM
Sino taga Laguna dito (San Pedro)? May iba pa bang choice besides Sky Cable?* :D

Royal Cable serves Sta. Rosa, where I live, as well as Calamba and Cabuyao. Dunno if they are serving San Pedro already.

Wala nga lang silang Studio 23 late evening replays ng NCAA and UAAP games at ng Nickelodeon. :P

toti_mendiola
09-23-2007, 09:12 AM

Oo nga easter wala ng iba. pero nakaka miss yung panahon na mga local cable providers ang me hawak ng cable operation sa laguna dahil madaming movie channels. at me wowow channel pa. ;D

james_ty
09-23-2007, 09:25 AM

Let me ask .. Is Spankly Enriquez the former PBA courtside reporter who worked for STI for a while?

Whoever you are, please post your blog entry. All of us Skycable subscribers want to know the real truth.

vickster
09-25-2007, 05:36 PM
the spanky enriquez blog is here:

http://spanx.multiply.com/journal

it's right below the blog on the eagles beating the archers in their 2nd round meeting.

really awful news if this is true.

james_ty
09-26-2007, 12:55 PM
"The inside story here is that Sky Cable
wanted to put in their own channels Velvet and Maxx.

In the process,
they informed Solar that they were going to drop ETC and Jack TV
since the new channels were going to have similar programming.

Solar responded by pulling out all their channels
as they probably felt they were being bullied."

Thanks for the information, Spanky.

As I've asked, is he the same Spanky Enriquez who was once a PBA courtside reporter and who later worked for STI?

Please reply.

Anyway, let's all boycott the Lopez-owned companies.

Remember, it was the Lopez network who pirated Angel Locsin away from GMA.

And it was also the Lopezes who put up MAXIM Magazine to compete with FHM.

easter
09-26-2007, 02:47 PM

Oo nga easter wala ng iba. pero nakaka miss yung panahon na mga local cable providers ang me hawak ng cable operation sa laguna dahil madaming movie channels. at me wowow channel pa. ;D

Toti meron pang isang cable which is HM Cable. Problem though is that kung Skycable na din ang may-ari nito. :D

tigerman
09-29-2007, 03:43 PM
Sino nakapanood ng hardball kagabi?

Isa sa main event nila yung 3 new channels na balls, maxxx at velvet.

Since hardball is a sports-related show, the hosts (Bill, Jino and Boyet) along with that Sky Cable official concentrated more on the balls channel. The trio asked the lady official what's in store with the balls channel and the latter replied with "american football, cricket, tennis, collegiate basketball etc." and NBA was never mentioned.

And being the obedient employees that they are, the trio exaggerated the balls channel as if they were not disappointed that BTV (arguably one of the best channels in Philippine Cable TV) will no longer be around come 2008. Jino was oozing with excitement with the sports mentioned as if he won't miss the NBA at all. :P

;D C'mon Mr. Velasco, Mr. Rufino and Mr. Sison. I'm a big fan of hardball but please you can do better than that.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Howard the Duck
09-29-2007, 04:54 PM
maybe they're big fans of cricket, they'd watch for the full 3 days :P

gelaibabydoll
10-11-2007, 01:05 AM
... and I've been bugging my brother to switch to sky because of Btv... oh well... I guess I'll just call my local cable operator (cablelink) to get that channel... :-\

CM_Punk
11-09-2007, 08:54 AM
http://www.mb.com.ph/SPRT20071109108102.html

NBA games out of SkyCable beginning ’08 by Tito Talao

SOLAR SPORTS, the local outfit that brings close to 300 NBA games to Metro Manila living rooms via ‘Basketball TV’ is signing off from SkyCable network by the end of the year and turning up elsewhere.

Other than Basketball TV, Solar Sports and four entertainment channels — 2nd Avenue, ETC, Jack TV and Crime/Suspense — will be stricken off the SkyCable lineup by Jan. 1 and will be transferred to other direct-to-home cable TV subscriptions, notably Global Destiny and Cablelink.

... so now it's official, BTV will be moving to Destiny Cable next year. Time for everyone to change their cable providers!!* ;D

tigerman
11-09-2007, 11:36 AM
Damn! And the dilemma for us Sky subscribers is starting to unfold... If only I have the control in our household I'd definitely switch to destiny. The solar channels are way, way better than the Balls, Maxxx, Velvet, Fox-crime and Axn and beyond. The problem lies with the fact that my sister is an AXN fanatic and my father is a follower of ANC. Another thing to worry with is the replays of UAAP basketball games which can be seen on Sky only.

Argghhhhhh!!!

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

gelaibabydoll
11-09-2007, 11:49 AM
http://www.mb.com.ph/SPRT20071109108102.html

NBA games out of SkyCable beginning ’08 by Tito Talao

SOLAR SPORTS, the local outfit that brings close to 300 NBA games to Metro Manila living rooms via ‘Basketball TV’ is signing off from SkyCable network by the end of the year and turning up elsewhere.

Other than Basketball TV, Solar Sports and four entertainment channels — 2nd Avenue, ETC, Jack TV and Crime/Suspense — will be stricken off the SkyCable lineup by Jan. 1 and will be transferred to other direct-to-home cable TV subscriptions, notably Global Destiny and Cablelink.

... so now it's official, BTV will be moving to Destiny Cable next year. Time for everyone to change their cable providers!! ;D

FINALLY... We've been Cablelink (Las Piñas Cable) subscribers since forever & I've been trying to convince my brother to switch to Sky because of BasketballTV... I guess I don't have to anymore... :)

james_ty
11-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Tito Talao's story is already news for most of us since before.

As I've mentioned in my past post, this only shows that Sky is already monopolizing the cable industry.

Let's switch cable providers by next year. That's what I plan to do.

aircanda
12-31-2007, 04:33 PM
naiiyak ako sa tuwa.. may btv na ang destiny.. nakapanood na ako ng game ng WKU kanina :D

hindeng-hindi na talaga ako lalabas ng bahay.. hehe

sana for good na to.. sana...

Ghostrider
01-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Sarap, gumising na may btv! ;D

jiggerman04
01-01-2008, 04:20 PM
yahooo!!! may BTV na sa destiny!!! muntikan pa naman din ako mag switch sa skycable!!!

james_ty
01-02-2008, 09:38 AM
I just applied for Destiny Cable this morning. I already informed SkyCable that I cut off my subscription with them already.

My Destiny Cable service will be connected at 1 pm today.

dioning
01-02-2008, 11:04 AM
I just applied for Destiny Cable this morning. I already informed SkyCable that I cut off my subscription with them already.

Ang tsismis e nagka-bad tripan etong sina tieng ng solar at lopez ng abscbn/sky. Ang una e dahil dun sa isang laban ni pacman. Di daw nagka-sundo ang dalawa sa pag-cover sa tv. Hawak kasi ng solar ang tv rights pero dahil wala naman silang tv station, sa abscbn nila ito pinabro-broadcast. Amicable naman ang di nila pagkasundo. Tapos, nag-request etong si lopez kay tieng na kung puede e wag ipalabas sa gma ang laban ni pacman. Kahit anong estasyon ok lang wag na wag lang sa gma. Pumayag naman daw etong si tieng ngunit di niya eto tinupad at nakipagsundo pa siya sa gma na ipalabas ang laban ni pacman. Dun na pumutok ang butse ni lopez at ratbung ratbu daw eto kay tieng.

Ang pangalawa naman e sa bidding ng rights to show the NBA and the olympics on local channel. Tinalo diumano ng solar ang abscbn dito at napikon daw ang lopez sa pagkatalo. Kumbaga na-double whammy kaya nagasgas ang pride chicken nitong si lopez.

Dahil sa tinding pagkakalampaso ni tieng kay lopez, tsinugi ng huli ang lahat ng mga solar channels sa sky at pinalitan ito ng balls, velvet, maxxxx at foxcrime.

Sana ipalabas nalang ang btv at solar sports sa free tv. Sa IBC 13 at UNTV nalang ipalabas para mapakinabangan naman ang mga channels na ito. Chika Mo Chika Ko (with Pete Ampoloquio and Peter Ledesma) lang naman ang ok panoorin diyan sa UNTV e. Sa IBC naman wala kasi wala na yun Chow Time Na! nila Angelica Jones, Michael Tan at Hyubs. Baduy ko no?

james_ty
01-02-2008, 11:09 AM

Ang tsismis e nagka-bad tripan etong sina tieng ng solar at lopez ng abscbn/sky. Ang una e dahil dun sa isang laban ni pacman. Di daw nagka-sundo ang dalawa sa pag-cover sa tv. Hawak kasi ng solar ang tv rights pero dahil wala naman silang tv station, sa abscbn nila ito pinabro-broadcast. Amicable naman ang di nila pagkasundo. Tapos, nag-request etong si lopez kay tieng na kung puede e wag ipalabas sa gma ang laban ni pacman. Kahit anong estasyon ok lang wag na wag lang sa gma. Pumayag naman daw etong si tieng ngunit di niya eto tinupad at nakipagsundo pa siya sa gma na ipalabas ang laban ni pacman. Dun na pumutok ang butse ni lopez at ratbung ratbu daw eto kay tieng.

Ang pangalawa naman e sa bidding ng rights to show the NBA and the olympics on local channel. Tinalo diumano ng solar ang abscbn dito at napikon daw ang lopez sa pagkatalo. Kumbaga na-double whammy kaya nagasgas ang pride chicken nitong si lopez.

Dahil sa tinding pagkakalampaso ni tieng kay lopez, tsinugi ng huli ang lahat ng mga solar channels sa sky at pinalitan ito ng balls, velvet, maxxxx at foxcrime.

Sana ipalabas nalang ang btv at solar sports sa free tv. Sa IBC 13 at UNTV nalang ipalabas para mapakinabangan naman ang mga channels na ito. Chika Mo Chika Ko (with Pete Ampoloquio and Peter Ledesma) lang naman ang ok panoorin diyan sa UNTV e. Sa IBC naman wala kasi wala na yun Chow Time Na! nila Angelica Jones, Michael Tan at Hyubs. Baduy ko no?

We all know that.

The Sky Cable people are very SELFISH.

Nike Air
01-02-2008, 01:24 PM

Ganun kabilis ang service nila? Hmmm, I might switch cables na rin. I really can't live without Solar Sports and Basketball TV e. NFL playoffs pa naman and most of the games are shown in Solar.

Pare, paano naging process mo ng pag-switch? Nagpadisconnect ka muna ng Sky before connecting Destiny? Pardon my ignorance.

RockLobster
01-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Guys, I just need to confirm. So walang ANC at AXN sa Destiny? How about Studio 23? Aside from being a sports fan, eh, I'm also a CSI and Hardball viewer, apart also from being a follower of news and current affairs programs on ANC.

Tama 'yung isang post. Dilemma ito para sa tulad ko. Do I switch so I can continue to enjoy the NBA games on cable TV, or do I wait for June/July to be able to relate to the discussions on gameface? ???

A-boy97
01-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Mga pards, pa-disconnect muna kayo sa sky para official na yung end ng contract. *Call Global-Destiny or call 09286104743 and look for Dennis. Within 24 hours, kakabitan kayo! Bayad lang kayo ng 3-months advance, then sa 4th billing na mag mail ng billing ang Global-Destiny. *450 pesos per month so 1350 yung initial payment. *I'm not sure if they will change their rates since there might be a rampant switching again of subscribers. *Peace! :)

Yup, walang ANC and AXN in Global-Destiny but there is Studio 23.* It's really a dilemma if you are in to current affairs.* ANC kasi is really one of the best channels if you want to be up-to-date with local news.* What I did is have Global-Destiny in my room then sa sala namin, sky pa rin! :D

Nike Air
01-02-2008, 01:40 PM
Guys, I just need to confirm. So walang ANC at AXN sa Destiny? How about Studio 23? Aside from being a sports fan, eh, I'm also a CSI and Hardball viewer, apart also from being a follower of news and current affairs programs on ANC.

Tama 'yung isang post. Dilemma ito para sa tulad ko. Do I switch so I can continue to enjoy the NBA games on cable TV, or do I wait for June/July to be able to relate to the discussions on gameface? ???

Meron Studio 23 pare pero I dunno kung merong AXN and ANC. A-Boy, why is it sa Global Destiny website may 450 and 500 rate charge depending on the area? Or is it general for all yung 450? Sorry for the questions bro. Thanks.

jiggerman04
01-02-2008, 01:41 PM
walang ANC at AXN sa destiny... try to browse their website,, andun yung channel listings nila...

A-boy97
01-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Meron Studio 23 pare pero I dunno kung merong AXN and ANC.* A-Boy, why is it sa Global Destiny website may 450 and 500 rate charge depending on the area?* Or is it general for all yung 450?* Sorry for the questions bro.* Thanks.

I paid 450 and i'm in the qc area. i suggest you call the number i left in my previous post. Legit cable man yan ng destiny! :) Commission basis kasi sila kaya agawan din sa client! ;D

RockLobster
01-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Thank you for the information guys. I'm gonna have to make consultations and come up with a collegial decision... with my wife. ;D

Nike Air
01-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Thank you for the information guys. I'm gonna have to make consultations and come up with a collegial decision... with my wife. ;D

Sa akin naman, sister ko may problem. She wants AXN, Star Movies, and Star World, e lahat yun wala sa Destiny hehe.

aircanda
01-02-2008, 08:51 PM

Sa akin naman, sister ko may problem.* She wants AXN, Star Movies, and Star World, e lahat yun wala sa Destiny hehe.

guys.. ang destiny, meron zone reality, panapat sa axn pero mas maganda pa ren ang axn, meron ding Hallmark Channel, pwedeng panapat naman sa Star Movies pero liyamado pa ren ang star movies.. sa star world? ang mapapanapat ko lang jan eh either jack tv or etc..

gelaibabydoll
01-02-2008, 11:35 PM
sana magkaroon na rin ng BTV sa CABLELINK... kasi naman, best of both worlds... May AXN na, may Zone Reality pa... BTV na lang ang kulang... Meron namang mga Solar channels sa Cablelink eh...

pablohoney
01-03-2008, 12:16 AM
Nakakatuwa magbasa ng mga posts dito.
Originally, isa akong Sky Cable.
When I had an apartment at Manila, I subscribed to Destiny naman, for a change.
Then after a few months, nangyari ang Star Channels pull-out from Destiny.
Marami ang nagswitch sa Sky/Home Cable because of this.

Sa bahay naman, nag-switch ako ng Destiny dahil eldest daughter ko eh hardcore Disney Playhouse fanatic (nung time na yun).

450Php/monthly ang sa Destiny. Plus 50Php for every additional TV, so kaya lalabas 500Php siguro.
Plus OK din ang internet connection din ng Destiny, yung MyDestiny -999Php lang, unlimited broadband.

So ayun, Destiny ako simula nun, and enjoyed the Midnight Hot portion of Fashion TV [FTV] (Channel 90) eversince. ;D

Tama ang iba, walang ANC sa Destiny as this is a Sky exclusive.
AXN dati meron sa Destiny pero tinanggal at ngayon ata ay Sky exclusive rin.
May Studio 23 din pero halo-halo ang shows dito like Myx, PBB, UAAP-NCAA games, Rush TV etc.

Ang gusto kong malipat din (ulit) sa Destiny is National Geographic Channel.
Meron nito dati sa Destiny until the Star Channels issue.
Yun na lang at Wowow, TOTAL PACKAGE na ang Destiny Cable subscription, for me... ;D

aircanda
01-03-2008, 12:27 AM
450Php/monthly ang sa Destiny. Plus 50Php for every additional TV, so kaya lalabas 500Php siguro.
Plus OK din ang internet connection din ng Destiny, yung MyDestiny -999Php lang, unlimited broadband.

So ayun, Destiny ako simula nun, and enjoyed the Midnight Hot portion of Fashion TV [FTV] (Channel 90) eversince.* ;D

Yun na lang at Wowow, TOTAL PACKAGE na ang Destiny Cable subscription, for me...* ;D

* mabilis ba broadband nila?

* sir.. i think you can avail your viewing pleasures of wowow by subscribing dun sa parang special package ata ng destiny.. but of course may additional charge..

mac04
01-04-2008, 12:29 AM
meron din bang wowow sa destiny? ;D

tigerman
01-04-2008, 01:39 AM
You want a concrete example of redundancy, eto para sa 'yo.

And the most irritating part of SKY's "to avoid redundancy of programs" statement, most of the shows in their new channels, which replaced the solar channels, were either shown already before (re-runs) in other channels or included in one channel and in another channel as well.

Here are some of the examples:

AXN Beyond
1. Lost (shown in AXN)
2. Andromeda (shown in AXN)
3. Ripley's believe it or not (shown in AXN too)
4. Supernatural (shown in AXN already)
5. Buffy The vampire slayer
6. The X-Files

FOX Crime
1. Law and Order (shown in C/S)

Maxxx
1. The 4400 (shown in AXN before)
2. Cheat (shown in JackTV before)
3. American Inventor (shown in STAR world)
4. International Fight League (shown in STAR world)

Velvet
1. Medium (shown in C/S)
2. Crossing Jordan (shown in C/S)

Balls
1. Should I expound on this piece of crap? I don't think so.

Now Bill Velasco, Jino Rufino and Boyet Sison care to show to us your new-found excitement with the sports to be shown in this channel? The last time you discussed in your Hardball show the arrival of this channel, you displayed O.A. enthusiasm in such a way as to make it appear to us that you were not at all saddened by the impending departure of BTV in the SKY lineup.

Kids and co.
1. Sorry kids but enough of the kiddie channels pls.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

mighty_lion
01-04-2008, 06:13 AM

Sa bahay naman, nag-switch ako ng Destiny dahil eldest daughter ko eh hardcore Disney Playhouse fanatic (nung time na yun).

So ayun, Destiny ako simula nun, and enjoyed the Midnight Hot portion of Fashion TV [FTV] (Channel 90) eversince.* ;D

May Studio 23 din pero halo-halo ang shows dito like Myx, PBB, UAAP-NCAA games, Rush TV etc.

Yun na lang at Wowow, TOTAL PACKAGE na ang Destiny Cable subscription, for me...* ;D

Pareho tayo dre. Im also using Destiny as my DSL cable subscriber bago lang. Nakaka-badtrip kasi ang PLDT, Globe and Bayantel, ang daming requirements at ang tagal magprocess ng DSL subscription. Okey naman. Upload speed is 384-531kbps but most of the time I always get the max. Download speed ranges from 1000-2558kbps. I think its the best package among all plan 999. Yong sa PLDT kasi me-top up pa ng phone. Kakalipat ko lang din from Sky to Destiny mid-December. Imo ang hirap maContact ang customer service ng Sky lately. Dami siguro nagrerequest ng disconnection. ;D Poor Sky. Hindi ba nila alam na basketball crazy country tayo.

You can also avail of 1 year promo sa cable ng destiny. Its P3,600 advance payment so patak P300 ka lang per month. BTV and Discovery lang naman ang habol ko kaya okey na.

dark_seid
01-04-2008, 03:07 PM
* sir.. i think you can avail your viewing pleasures of wowow by subscribing dun sa parang special package ata ng destiny.. but of course may additional charge..

are you referring to the premium channels?
as of jan 1, the lineup of the premium channels are

ch 82 - espn (asia)
ch 83 - star sports
ch 84 - golf c/o a japanese network
ch 85 - super sports 2
ch 86
ch 87 - hbo (with chinese subs)
ch 88 - programming c/o an indian network

aircanda
01-04-2008, 03:13 PM

are you referring to the premium channels?
as of jan 1, the lineup of the premium channels are

ch 82 - espn (asia)
ch 83 - star sports
ch 84 - golf c/o a japanese network
ch 85 - super sports 2
ch 86
ch 87 - hbo (with chinese subs)
ch 88 - programming c/o an indian network

yeah, yan nga ang tinutukoy ko sir dark.. pero ang premium channels ay merong additional fee di ba? bakit kame meron kameng espn and starsports na libre? pero channles 84-88.. ala kame? so nakatsamba ba kame ng libre? ;D

mighty_lion
01-04-2008, 03:27 PM
^ Makikisabat. From what I understand one-time fees lang yong mga premium channels sa Destiny.

tigerman
01-04-2008, 03:34 PM
@ aircanada - San ba ang area mo? Kasi kung either sa Manila, Pasay, Makati, Mandaluyong o San Juan Area ka talagang kasama sa basic package ng destiny ang star sports at espn. Kaya 500 ang monthly fee ng destiny sa mga areas na yan. Unlike sa QC, Camanava, Pasig at South areas 450 ang fee pero nasa premium ang espn at star sports.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

aircanda
01-04-2008, 03:49 PM
@ aircanada - San ba ang area mo? Kasi kung either sa Manila, Pasay, Makati, Mandaluyong o San Juan Area ka talagang kasama sa basic package ng destiny ang star sports at espn. Kaya 500 ang monthly fee ng destiny sa mga areas na yan. Unlike sa QC, Camanava, Pasig at South areas 450 ang fee pero nasa premium ang espn at star sports.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

sir tigerman, its aircanda.. ;D
yeah.. taga manila ako.. akala ko libre lang ako kasi ang kausap ko na may destiny eh taga QC.. so akala ko jackpot ako.. nung wala pang BTV nagtyatyaga na lang ako ng NBA sa espn at star twing fridays and sundays.. hehehe.. thanks sir..

Kid Cubao
01-04-2008, 03:54 PM
the reason why i didn't switch cable providers is that my gut feel tells me skycable will bring the solar sports channels back sooner or later, especially now that many loyal subscribers have switched to rival firms. this has happened twice in the past--first, when they dropped discovery channel and then not long ago, when they delisted the star channels (start world and star movies). in both cases, skycable saw their subscription cancellations spike dramatically almost overnight. bowing to the pressure of cancellations, they eventually brought those channels back in the lineup. there's a catch, though: malamang itaas nila ang singil sa subscription, kasi yan ang naging aftermath nung ibinalik nila ang discovery channel/s at star channels.

dark_seid
01-04-2008, 04:15 PM
the reason why i didn't switch cable providers is that my gut feel tells me skycable will bring the solar sports channels back sooner or later, especially now that many loyal subscribers have switched to rival firms. this has happened twice in the past--first, when they dropped discovery channel and then not long ago, when they delisted the star channels (start world and star movies). in both cases, skycable saw their subscription cancellations spike dramatically almost overnight. bowing to the pressure of cancellations, they eventually brought those channels back in the lineup. there's a catch, though: malamang itaas nila ang singil sa subscription, kasi yan ang naging aftermath nung ibinalik nila ang discovery channel/s at star channels.

but there might be a difference this time if the rumors of a row between the owner of skycable and solar entertainment is true. AFAIK, previous pullouts of favorite channels from skycable were due to pricing and package schemes (i.e. star wanted cable providers to subscribe to their whole lineup of shows). if the rumor (as posted earlier) is true, will the owners of skycable really bite their tongue and go back to carrying solar entertainment's programming again?

anyway meron naman nba sa free tv ah. mon and thurs @ 730pm, sat @ 1130am and sun @ 1030am

@ aircanda - may additional fees on top of the regular cable fees yun premium channels. pasensya na sir medyo hindi ko maalala exactly how much yun monthly.

Ghostrider
01-04-2008, 04:22 PM
^^

To add to the discussion, the "return" will not come in 2008 because solar will have paid (yearly?) blocktime fees to SBN 21, RJTV and RPN 9.

I think they've also spent a nice sum upgrading the RJTV transmitters so they will have an at least passable signal.

The cold war between the Lopez and Tieng groups has been brewing for a long time. I don't think there'll be a sudden change of heart because with all the press releases, someone will lose face. In short, amor propio will prevent an early settlement of the case.

james_ty
01-04-2008, 04:31 PM

I agree. But I doubt kung magkakaroon ng change of heart ang Skycable. I have a feeling na Sky and Solar won't settle things because of business matters.

Remember Pacquiao? When he left ABS, the Kapamilya Network felt bad.

james_ty
01-04-2008, 04:40 PM
You want a concrete example of redundancy, eto para sa 'yo.*

And the most irritating part of SKY's "to avoid redundancy of programs" statement, most of the shows in their new channels, which replaced the solar channels, were either shown already before (re-runs) in other channels or included in one channel and in another channel as well.

Here are some of the examples:

AXN Beyond
1. Lost (shown in AXN)
2. Andromeda (shown in AXN)
3. Ripley's believe it or not (shown in AXN too)
4. Supernatural (shown in AXN already)
5. Buffy The vampire slayer
6. The X-Files

FOX Crime
1. Law and Order (shown in C/S)

Maxxx
1. The 4400 (shown in AXN before)
2. Cheat (shown in JackTV before)
3. American Inventor (shown in STAR world)
4. International Fight League (shown in STAR world)

Velvet
1. Medium (shown in C/S)
2. Crossing Jordan (shown in C/S)

Balls
1. Should I expound on this piece of crap? I don't think so.

Now Bill Velasco, Jino Rufino and Boyet Sison care to show to us your new-found excitement with the sports to be shown in this channel? The last time you discussed in your Hardball show the arrival of this channel, you displayed O.A. enthusiasm in such a way as to make it appear to us that you were not at all saddened by the impending departure of BTV in the SKY lineup.

Kids and co.
1. Sorry kids but enough of the kiddie channels pls.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Thanks for noticing the comparisons. As I've said, the SkyCable people are very selfish so much so that they want to monopolize the cable industry, like what they did to Meralco, BayanTel and Maynilad Water.

Pati magazines, pumasok na rin ng mga taga-Lopez. Gusto nilang gayahin ang FHM by putting up Maxim.

aircanda
01-04-2008, 04:59 PM
^^ sir, kung sa magazine mapagbibigyan ko sila.. mas madameng chix ata ang magkokompetisyon sino pinakasexy.. hehehe.. sorry OT.. ;D

RockLobster
01-04-2008, 08:13 PM
^^Sorry, OT din ito... Yung Meralco, I can agree with na monopoly siya. Yung Maynilad, it was a venture presented to them by the government/MWSS--dalawa silang concessionaire ng Manila Water. Nag-iisa lang naman talaga ang MWSS na provider ng water utility sa Metro Manila. Yung BayanTel, malabong sabihing monopoly yun kasi it was put up precisely to compete against the "monopoly" that was PLDT.

Sorry ulit, back to regular programming...

eightyfiver
01-04-2008, 10:49 PM
As I've asked, is he the same Spanky Enriquez who was once a PBA courtside reporter and who later worked for STI?

Please reply.

Yes sir, siya iyon. Nag-Bio iyan dati sa UST at naging presidente ng student council sa College of Science, tapos iyon nga nakita na lang sa PBA as courtside reporter.

Ngayon ko lang nabasa itong thread na ito. Nagulat tuloy ako noong may BTV na dito sa bahay.

pablohoney
01-07-2008, 10:02 AM

* mabilis ba broadband nila?

@ aircanda: Ok naman ang broadband nila. Nung una, kapag umuulan, pumapalya. Pero naayos na nila (hopefully, for good). If bago-bago ang PC mo, mas mabilis ang conenction since sabi sa akin hindi nila kina-cap ang speed (exact words ng nagkonekta). ???

So may wowow ang Destiny? Wow.Thanks. Ganun pa rin ba ang Wowow channel? ;D
Before BTv was made available on regular channel line-up sa Destiny, kasama ang BTV sa "special package" ito, you pay an additional 2K+ to have BTV and some other channels as well, baka isa na nga ang Wowow dito.

pablohoney
01-07-2008, 10:22 AM

Pareho tayo dre. Im also using Destiny as my DSL cable subscriber bago lang. Nakaka-badtrip kasi ang PLDT, Globe and Bayantel, ang daming requirements at ang tagal magprocess ng DSL subscription. Okey naman. Upload speed is 384-531kbps but most of the time I always get the max. Download speed ranges from 1000-2558kbps. I think its the best package among all plan 999. Yong sa PLDT kasi me-top up pa ng phone. Kakalipat ko lang din from Sky to Destiny mid-December. Imo ang hirap maContact* ang customer service ng Sky lately. Dami siguro nagrerequest ng disconnection. ;D Poor Sky. Hindi ba nila alam na basketball crazy country tayo.

You can also avail of 1 year promo sa cable ng destiny. Its P3,600 advance payment so patak P300 ka lang per month. BTV and Discovery lang naman ang habol ko kaya okey na.

@ Sir Mighty Lion:Halos pareho lang pala tayo..I started with Globe, then nag Smart Bro pa ako.. pero palaging down, lalo na sa Smart Bro.. konting hangin lang, "systems upgrade" na agad ang irarason ng mga Tech Support nila hehe.
Dati 2 weeks akong walang connection, pero hindi sila gumagawa ng adjustments... Kaya I tried MyDestiny, since ito rin ang cable TV provider ko... so far, so good naman... kahit umuulan hindi na pumapalya... hehe

@Tigerman: Thanks for pointing it out, akala ko nakalibre na ako sa Star Sports at ESPN hehe. Pinoy nga naman, basta libre eh hehe ;D

@james_ty: Palalampasin ko na ang Maxim...hehe

@ Kid Cubao: Yan din ang unang pumasok sa isip ko, baka bumalik din ang BTV sa Sky. And then ang Sky magtataas ng presyo... lumang tugtugin na yan ng Sky. I remember whe I was with Sky pa (many years ago), ang singil pa lang nila nun IIRC was 450Php, pero lumalabas sa monthly bill ko is MORE than 450Php... one reason kung bakit nagpallit ako ng TV Cable provider...
Ang pagkakaalam ko rin, may isang area sa Pasig kung saan pinapatupad nila ang pagkabit ng "BOX'' to help totally eliminate cabe piracy... subscribers in that area will pay a one-time fee to ahve the box.. without the box you won't be able to watch kase you need it to decode the signal... parang ganun ang ginagawa sa Dish Network / Direct TV sa States ata eh. From analog to digital ang decoding ng reception box...

Since pilot area ang Pasig, kapag naging successful, ipapatupad na sa lahat ang ganitong set-up.

RockLobster:Yung BayanTel, malabong sabihing monopoly yun kasi it was put up precisely to compete against the "monopoly" that was PLDT.

Agree.
Looking back, Lopezes made a big blunder when they chose to concentrate on the land-line business instead of going the "cellular way". IMHO, they wanted to drive the Gongkongwei (Digitel, kanila ito di ba? ???) down the landline business, only to find out they lost billions by not riding on the mobile phone technology. At that time, alam nila mahirap tibagin ang PLDT sa landline, since pati sila nakikigamit ng mga equipment ng PLDT for their landline venture, IIRC.

james_ty
01-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Off topic: You read FHM more than Maxim, I'm sure.

A-boy97
01-07-2008, 02:12 PM
The main problem with our cable providers today is that they think consumers have company loyalty. What they fail to see is that the consumers loyalty is based on the programs they watched. Any Pinoy even with half a brain know that PINOYS LOVE BASKETBALL!!! Basketball IS our national sport. Basketball may not love us back the way we want to but inspite of that, we choose basketball. In Pinoy list of sports, basketball is number 1, a far number 2 is boxing, and number 3 is billiards. Kahit ang ating pambansang kamao, basketball ang hilig!!

With that said, I don't know what went inside the heads of the people from Sky. ??? I maybe wrong but I personally think what they did is company suicide. If by the end of the year wala pa silang NBA, I won't be surprise if Destiny becomes the number 1 cable provider in Metro Manila. Exclusive ang NBA to Solar Sports and 2 or 3 years pa ata yung contract nila with this exclusivity.

OT: I just love the ad of BTV when they mentioned that they have the only balls that matters! ;D ;D

tigerman
01-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Earlier our subscription with sky has been finally terminated and on this very same day we got connected with destiny. I concede that sky's signal is way better thanks to its digibox and they have more channels than destiny. But as I've pointed out in my earlier post, the new channels they have introduced exemplify redundancy of programs.

On the bright side, I got my BTV and JackTV back. Two channels which are way, way better than most of the cable channels today. The bad thing though is that I won't have replays of the UAAP.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

james_ty
01-07-2008, 03:36 PM
May cold war kasi ang Sky and Solar. It all started when Manny Pacquiao left ABS and moved his fights to GMA and Solar.

Kasalanan ito ni Gabby Lopez. He wants to monopolize the local cable industry and make the smaller cable operators suffer.

james_ty
01-07-2008, 05:51 PM
The main problem with our cable providers today is that they think consumers have company loyalty.* What they fail to see is that the consumers loyalty is based on the programs they watched.* Any Pinoy even with half a brain know that PINOYS LOVE BASKETBALL!!!* Basketball IS our national sport.* Basketball may not love us back the way we want to but inspite of that, we choose basketball.* In Pinoy list of sports, basketball is number 1, a far number 2 is boxing, and number 3 is billiards.* Kahit ang ating pambansang kamao, basketball ang hilig!!

With that said, I don't know what went inside the heads of the people from Sky. ??? I maybe wrong but I personally think what they did is company suicide.* If by the end of the year wala pa silang NBA, I won't be surprise if Destiny becomes the number 1 cable provider in Metro Manila.* Exclusive ang NBA to Solar Sports and 2 or 3 years pa ata yung contract nila with this exclusivity.

OT:* I just love the ad of BTV when they mentioned that they have the only balls that matters! ;D ;D

I hope that is true. I want to see all the Star channels move back to Global Destiny if Sky collapses.

pablohoney
01-07-2008, 07:28 PM

True. ;D
Pero ang mga ABS-CBN star''lets", hindi lumalabas sa FHM ata... again "exclusivity" ang fave word ata ng mga Lopezes.

@tigerman: Yun nga lang talaga... walang replay ng UAAP. Don't know kung til when ang contract ng UAAP with ABS-CBN...

franz_inwurdz
01-07-2008, 10:58 PM
hhmm. pwede kaya mag prepaid nalang ako sa sky then get destiny as my regular tv. I'll just use sky pag replays ng NC games, at pag may maganda sa star channels.

magkano ba kaya ang prepaid ng sky. meron kaya silang parang sulit piso per minute parang yung commercial ni cesar montano. ;D

gameface_one
01-08-2008, 08:14 AM
The switch is on
SPORTING CHANCE By Joaquin M. Henson
Tuesday, January 8, 2008
Philstar.com

If you’re a Skycable subscriber and an NBA fan, you’ll be glad to know switching to Global Destiny for your daily dose of pro hoops is now as easy as surfing channels on your remote.

That’s the word from Solar Sports vice president for marketing Jude Turcuato who predicts the exodus from Skycable to Global Destiny will change the complexion of the cable network wars within two or three months.

Turcuato estimates Skycable and Global Destiny dominating close to 80 percent of the Metro Manila subscribers market. Skycable leads the race with Global Destiny a close second, he notes. But Turcuato expects a tied ball game within the first quarter as more and more viewers make the switch because of Solar’s solid content in Global Destiny.

Solar pulled out of Skycable at the turn of the year, bringing BTV, Solar Sports and Jack TV to Global Destiny in a transfer that is particularly significant in the Metro Manila market.

“Solar continues to be the most widely distributed cable channel in the country, more than even HBO,” says Turcuato. “Solar has between 450 to 500 cable affiliates all over the Philippines and Global Destiny is just one of them. Of course, we know Skycable and Global Destiny are the two biggest cable providers around, like PLDT and Globe in telecommunications and ABS-CBN and GMA in free-to-air TV. Switching from Skycable to Global Destiny is a matter of preference and I think the market that matters most to us at Solar is making the switch.”

Turcuato says with BTV, Solar Sports and Jack TV moving out of Skycable, the sports block in Global Destiny is suddenly formidable and unbeatable.

“Now, Global Destiny offers NBA everyday on BTV, ESPN, Star Sports, Eurosport and World Wrestling Entertainment on Jack,” continues Turcuato. “Then, Solar is bringing in PGA Golf, the NFL, the Z Gorres-Vic Darchinyan title eliminator fight, the Manny Pacquiao-Juan Manuel Marquez fight for the WBC superfeatherweight championship, Eurocup soccer, the Philippine 9-Ball Open and of course, the Beijing Olympics. You won’t get any of that on Skycable.”

Curiously, Turcuato recalls that some seven or eight years ago, when Star Sports left Skycable, it was Solar that came to the rescue by bringing the NBA to the ABS-CBN cable network.

“Subscribers were switching out of Skycable at the rate of 300 a day for at least a month until Solar stopped the bleeding,” remembers Turcuato. “It’s ironic that now, Solar is leading the charge out of Skycable and we’re anticipating a switch of a much higher rate than 300 a day. Global Destiny is prepared to handle the switch with more cable guys, trucks and wiring equipment.”

Turcuato says Global Destiny will not carry the Skycable staples of ANC, Balls, Lifestyle and Cinema One but counters with CNBC, Fox News, Philippine Box Office, the Al Jazeera network, Discovery Travel and Living and Disney playhouse.

“Some of Global Destiny’s channels like Disney playhouse and Fox News are available through platinum or more expensive subscriptions with Skycable,” says Turcuato. “But there’s a major difference in price. The basic Global Destiny monthly rate is P450 while Skycable is P770 and platinum subscribers pay over P1,000. Even if you’re not an NBA or sports fan, you’ll make the switch because it just makes more economic sense. But if you’re an NBA or sports fan, it’s obviously a great deal.”

Turcuato says his father-in-law’s golfmates in Makati are now linked to Global Destiny because of Solar’s PGA rights. And since ESPN isn’t covering the NFL this season, Global Destiny has become the exclusive home of American pro football, too.

Even the popular “Jay Leno Show” – where Pacquiao is scheduled to appear in drumming up interest for the Marquez rematch – is now exclusive to Global Destiny because its home is Jack TV.

Clearly, the key is the NBA. It’s destiny that interest in the NBA today is sky-high, what with the unpredictable season. According to Turcuato, Solar’s commitment in terms of ratings and market reach to the NBA remains as strong as ever, if not even stronger, with the switch from Skycable to Global Destiny.

Turcuato says Global Destiny has put up a direct hotline, 894-5714, to support the trunkline of 810-2828 so every subscriber is attended to without delay. Joining the bandwagon to Global Destiny couldn’t be easier.

tigerman
01-08-2008, 08:45 AM
Sana tuloy-tuloy lang ang pag-switch from Sky to Destiny and the hope that the latter can cope up with the increase in quantity of their subscribers by upgrading their facilities and adding more channels to their lineups. ;D

The Lopezes should feel the hatred of us former subscribers.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Nike Air
01-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Solar should prepare for their biggest bid war that might just kill the competition, which is the renewal of their contract with the NBA because for sure, the Lopezes will fight back (like The Empire Strikes Back ba kamo? Hehehe) to get exclusive rights of the NBA. Di din naman tanga ang mga Lopezes to let this slip away na ganun ganun na lang. Sana mapaghandaan ito ng Solar ng mabuti.

tigerman
01-08-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm not in any way connected with solar but I think they wil be ready. Lalo't bread and butter nila ang NBA.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

irateluvmachine
01-08-2008, 11:15 AM
ganito lang yan. it's like trading two superstar players for five roleplayers.

on MAXXX i can fulfill my guilty pleasures and watch the old WWF programs from my elementary school days, and on Balls i was able to watch some pretty updated UFC (liddell vs silva) and they do show the US NCAA, but i miss my BTV...and Jack TV (mad tv, family guy, american dad, etc.), and with only one major cable provider in our area that ii know of (Cavite Cable), my hands are unfortunately tied. >:(

Balls apparently caters to EVERYTHING except the NBA. tsk. kung taga-manila lang sana ako...

james_ty
01-08-2008, 12:34 PM

True.* ;D
Pero ang mga ABS-CBN star''lets", hindi lumalabas sa FHM ata... again "exclusivity" ang fave word ata ng mga Lopezes.

@tigerman: Yun nga lang talaga... walang replay ng UAAP. Don't know kung til when ang contract ng UAAP with ABS-CBN...

Last year, Michelle Madrigal, Angelica Panganiban and Jamilla Obispo -- all ABS-CBN stars -- posed for FHM.

But Michelle moved to GMA shortly after that.

Angelica and Jamilla are the exceptions to this "exclusivity."

As for the UAAP contract with ABS-CBN, it's for two more years. The league signed a new contract with the network just last year.

yungha
01-09-2008, 10:15 AM
with solar sports now gone from skycable, will subscribers like myself be able to watch the pacquiao-marquez fight on march 15? will the fight be shown on gma or abs-cbn perhaps?

james_ty
01-09-2008, 01:24 PM
with solar sports now gone from skycable, will subscribers like myself be able to watch the pacquiao-marquez fight on march 15? will the fight be shown on gma or abs-cbn perhaps?

It will be shown on GMA-7. May tie-up kasi ang Siyete at Solar since Pacquiao has a TV show for them, Pinoy Records.

Jeep
01-09-2008, 04:05 PM

It will be shown on GMA-7. May tie-up kasi ang Siyete at Solar since Pacquiao has a TV show for them, Pinoy Records.

...which, incidentally, is co-hosted by blue eagles captain chris tiu. click on the link below for info on this show, which i have yet to see myself. ;D

http://www.igma.tv/shows/pinoy-records/cast

john_paul_manahan
01-10-2008, 03:38 AM
pac-man vs marquez will probably be shown on free tv (with the matching pinoy feed). remains to be seen which channel.

btw, the head honcho of solar entertainment (wilson tieng) will be the guest on heard on thursdays with rafael reyes tonight, 9-10pm on rx 93.1

Jeep
01-10-2008, 09:11 AM
just an observation -- mainly off-topic but a bit on it (since the "greed" of the lopezes was frequently referred to above):

the way the lopezes, particularly this present generation leading the clan, have been running their show (pardon the pun) has gotten me scratching my head and asking "WTF?" ABS-CBN, to begin with, climbed out of its sea of red only last year, after it borrowed heavily from the international capital markets in the late 1990s (talk about timing, 'no?, as bitter memories of the '97 asian financial crisis remain fresh) to finance an aggressive capex drive to ensure its presence in every nook and cranny of these islands -- never mind that they had to pay through the nose to do that (a loss leader in the words of strategic management).

then there's bayantel, which dived headlong into the landline niche of telecoms, when others like PLDT and globe (and later digitel) were exploring the brave new world of mobile. of course they have a geographical niche, largely in quezon city, but just imagine the possibility that their bottomline would have grown geometrically (compared to what it is now) had they gone into mobile ahead of digitel.

then there's their biggest bonehead move, bidding for the west sector of the MWSS concession under maynilad water. who did they consult about doing a due diligence on that sector before they even started to write out their bids? because whoever did it overlooked the fact that the west sector is the older one, with pipelines and sewers that date back to the spanish era. with the huge capex they had to undertake to bring the west sector into the 21st century, they could have asked for higher rates or submitted a justifiably lower bid.

the only thing that's been working for them thus far has been their participation in the NLEX consortium, which has turned out to be a cash cow. and there's meralco of course, which they've managed to turn around with pass-on distribution fees and a free cash flow position that's enviable (as retail customers' accounts are kept current and accounts receivable are kept low, limited only to as they are to government accounts, hehehe!* ;D ).

so with this latest flight from skycable of the solar group, it just kinda confirms what i've thought about the lopezes and the way they've been building -- more like dismantling -- their businesses. sure, they can probably afford to take losses, sitting as they do on a huge cash pile they've inherited. but if they continue to make one meathead decision after another, that pile isn't going to last long. i appreciate the fact that the family continue to be diehard blue eagle supporters for the longest time, but business is business, and a win-loss card of 2-3 leaves much to be desired.

back to topic. and thanks for indulging me.

Kid Cubao
01-10-2008, 09:45 AM
... and the migration toward destiny and rival cable TV companies continues apace. almost everyone i know who used to be loyal skycable subscribers have all canceled their subscriptions and opted for destiny, dream, or the local community cable networks. yes, it's turning out to be another corporate fiasco from the benpres group ;D

yungha
01-10-2008, 10:22 AM

thanks james. assuming the fight starts at 12 noon and goes the distance, i'll set my recorder from 12pm-6pm. kahit early knockout yan, maniwala kayo aabutin pa rin ng 4pm ang telecast.

james_ty
01-10-2008, 02:05 PM
pac-man vs marquez will probably be shown on free tv (with the matching pinoy feed). remains to be seen which channel.

btw, the head honcho of solar entertainment (wilson tieng) will be the guest on heard on thursdays with rafael reyes tonight, 9-10pm on rx 93.1

As I've said, it's GMA-7.

I will listen to RX tonight. That should be a good show.

eightyfiver
01-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Sayang ang air time for covering WKU games.

Mateen Cleaves
01-11-2008, 04:23 PM
... and the migration toward destiny and rival cable TV companies continues apace. almost everyone i know who used to be loyal skycable subscribers have all canceled their subscriptions and opted for destiny, dream, or the local community cable networks. yes, it's turning out to be another corporate fiasco from the benpres group ;D

Eventually, I'll probably switch as well. But maybe after the Big Ten basketball season is over on the Balls channel. Sulitin ko muna ang MSU basketball habang meron! ;D

stat
01-11-2008, 09:13 PM
tapos na po talaga yung promo sa kahit saang branch ng destiny. dahilan po nito ay ung pagigiging indemand destiny dahil sa solar sports, jacktv at btv.

eto po yung rate sa cities ng manila,pasay,san juan, makati and mandaluyong:

advance po for 3 months which is 1500. every month po nun ay 500/month

sa di po nabanggit na lugar:

advance payment for 3 months which is 1350. every month po nun ay 450/month

in demand na in demand ang destiny.

pm me for application para mabilis at maasikaso agad kung gusto nyo mag switch.

SAKIM NA MASYADO ANG SKYCABLE

LUMIPAT NA!

NAMBOBOLA NA!

MALULUGI NA! ! !

spirit65
01-14-2008, 04:16 PM
is there destiny cable in antipolo?

Kid Cubao
01-15-2008, 07:48 AM
is there destiny cable in antipolo?

yes there is.

pablohoney
01-15-2008, 09:17 AM
Was surprised to see a leaflet perched on my gate that says Destiny Cable is now charging 500Php each month.
An increase of 50Php. Pero wala pa dun sa flyer ang Basketball TV, etc.

Wala lang, I was expectiing an increase in fairness, it's still relatively cheaper than Sky or DreamTV... pero sana wag na silang magtaas pa. ;D

james_ty
01-23-2008, 02:56 PM
Do you want to know how SkyCable is totally monopolizing the cable industry?

Well, they own 12, that's right, 12 channels.

They are:

ANC
Myx
Cinema One
DZMM Teleradyo
Lifestyle Network
Velvet
MAXXX
Balls
Knowledge Channel
Sky Chinese Entertainment Channel
Hero (anime channel)
KidsCo

And they're feeding us stupid shows for close to P900 a month.

Good thing I changed cable providers.

I hope Destiny will get some of the Star channels to show na kaya nilang tapatan ang SkyCable.

RockLobster
01-23-2008, 06:47 PM
Nyek, teka, eh di pati ang PBL hindi na rin mapapanood ng mga Sky Cable subscribers? :o

danny
01-24-2008, 03:13 AM
just an observation -- mainly off-topic but a bit on it (since the "greed" of the lopezes was frequently referred to above):

The Lopezes may appear greedy in the local scene, but internationally, they are trying to build a reputation for charity. They actually belong to the Global Philantrophists Circle, a small elite group of international philantrophists founded by the Rockefellers.

Ok back to cable television.

gfy
01-24-2008, 06:00 AM
What is the NTC doing about this? A cable company can't just drop programs without any justification.

danny
01-24-2008, 06:09 AM
What is the NTC doing about this? A cable company can't just drop programs without any justification.

Pre, the NTC, just like many public offices, is beholden to big business. I learned that when I was working with the Department of Trade under the office Ernesto Ordonez. ;)

james_ty
01-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Nyek, teka, eh di pati ang PBL hindi na rin mapapanood ng mga Sky Cable subscribers? :o

As far as I know, RPN-9 is still the PBL's free TV carrier because of the station's ties with Solar.

AnthonyServinio
01-24-2008, 01:09 PM

Pre, the NTC, just like many public offices, is beholden to big business. I learned that when I was working with the Department of Trade under the office Ernesto Ordonez. ;)

* * *THE LAW mandates that cable companies are required to carry ALL VHF and UHF channels on "Free TV" (2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 21, 23, 29, etc.).

* * *An issue raised against Sky Cable before was that it was deliberately giving out a bad signal for GMA-7 and QTV-11.

* * *Now that Solar has moved some of its channels and programs to Free TV, Sky Cable cannot do anything about it and they have to show it because it is the law!* They are afraid that these Solar channels will upstage and out-rate their own trash channels.

oca
01-24-2008, 01:57 PM
This is a bit OT, pero pagbigyan niyo na, sa Solar Sports pa rin naman ang usapan pero hindi patungkol sa basketball.

I look forward to Solar being capable of doing what Vintage did before and better.

Vintage owns no TV station. But they did a good job of marketing and producing the games of the PBA on TV. Before the financial crisis of 1997 forced Vintage to fold up, they were into producing other events at hindi lang basketball.

With Solar's recent and current tie up with RPN and GMA they can buy the airtime to broadcast collegiate events other than basketball.

Eto and pinakagusto kong mangyari----------

I hope Solar acquires the TV rights on the UAAP when this league's contract with Studio23/ABS-CBN expires (the NCAA just signed a new 5-yr deal with S23 last year, aside from the fact that the NCAA has fewer events,* kaya yung sa UAAP ang magandang gawan ng bid in the very near future, ).

This is more than just a basketball concern for me.

Consider this:

How many events are there in the UAAP calendar?

How many events get full coverage, meaning, games shown in its entirety, either live or delayed ?

Only men's basketball and women's volleyball.

TANONG:

Does S23/ABS-CBN have the airtime for full coverage of other events ?

Why should we be contented with the full coverage just 2 events and make do with summaries on others?

These recent years,tumaas na ang level of competition sa collegiate sports of tae kwon do, badminton, football, even fencing. Alam ba ito ng public?

Bringing these events to the homes of the regular TV viewer will make the events popular. Just look at what Shakey's V-League did to women's volleyball. (Sila ang nagpunla nang popularity ng women's volleyball and S23 is now trying to cash on it.)

S23 popularized UAAP basketball. But basketball itself was already popular even before. What then has S23 contributed in making other events popular?

They haven't done anything these past 7 or 8 years, we expect them to do something in the future?

Kayo kung ako sa UAAP Board, I will allow interested parties to bid for the coverage of UAAP events when its contract with S23 expires.

james_ty
01-24-2008, 04:08 PM
This is a bit OT, pero pagbigyan niyo na, sa Solar Sports pa rin naman ang usapan pero hindi patungkol sa basketball.

I look forward to Solar being capable of doing what Vintage did before and better.

Vintage owns no TV station. But they did a good job of marketing and producing the games of the PBA on TV. Before the financial crisis of 1997 forced Vintage to fold up, they were into producing other events at hindi lang basketball.

With Solar's recent and current tie up with RPN and GMA they can buy the airtime to broadcast collegiate events other than basketball.

Eto and pinakagusto kong mangyari----------

I hope Solar acquires the TV rights on the UAAP when this league's contract with Studio23/ABS-CBN expires (the NCAA just signed a new 5-yr deal with S23 last year, aside from the fact that the NCAA has fewer events,* kaya yung sa UAAP ang magandang gawan ng bid in the very near future, ).

This is more than just a basketball concern for me.

Consider this:

How many events are there in the UAAP calendar?

How many events get full coverage, meaning, games shown in its entirety, either live or delayed ?

Only men's basketball and women's volleyball.

TANONG:

Does S23/ABS-CBN have the airtime for full coverage of other events ?

Why should we be contented with the full coverage just 2 events and make do with summaries on others?

These recent years,tumaas na ang level of competition sa collegiate sports of tae kwon do, badminton, football, even fencing. Alam ba ito ng public?

Bringing these events to the homes of the regular TV viewer will make the events popular. Just look at what Shakey's V-League did to women's volleyball. (Sila ang nagpunla nang popularity ng women's volleyball and S23 is now trying to cash on it.)

S23 popularized UAAP basketball. But basketball itself was already popular even before. What then has S23 contributed in making other events popular?

They haven't done anything these past 7 or 8 years, we expect them to do something in the future?

Kayo kung ako sa UAAP Board, I will allow interested parties to bid for the coverage of UAAP events when its contract with S23 expires.

Solar has experience covering the Collegiate Champions League. And with this, they hope to get the UAAP.

They also plan to get the PBA next season.

dark_seid
01-24-2008, 04:17 PM
Solar has experience covering the Collegiate Champions League. And with this, they hope to get the UAAP.

??? you mean they are going to go against abc sports from whom they are currently buying airtime for their nba games? and that also mean that they will really invest in the broadcast equipment/resources that are needed? ???

james_ty
01-24-2008, 04:43 PM

??? you mean they are going to go against abc sports from whom they are currently buying airtime for their nba games? and that also mean that they will really invest in the broadcast equipment/resources that are needed?* ???

From what I heard, Solar will tie up with ABC for the PBA broadcast. If they win the bid, then Solar will assist ABC in upgrading the broadcast equipment needed.

keempee
01-24-2008, 11:28 PM

yes, they can. ang required lang nila ipalabas are the free, local channels.

aircanda
01-25-2008, 12:15 AM
its fine with me if solar will have UAAP.. basta please.. please lang talaga.. wag na silang mawala sa destiny.. ;D

gfy
01-25-2008, 09:13 AM

yes, they can. ang required lang nila ipalabas are the free, local channels.

Then there should be some regulation. I am going to switch to Destiny and I don't want subscribers like us to be switching back and forth because the Lopezes for example were mad at Solar for business or personal reasons.

bigfreeze_bibby
01-25-2008, 09:15 AM
To our fellow Destiny subscribers in this forum, nagpapalabas pa ba ang Solar ng UFC? We're still connected via SkyCable as of the moment and I saw Balls' commercial of UFC 81 that's why I asked the question.

Ghostrider
01-25-2008, 10:56 AM
To our fellow Destiny subscribers in this forum, nagpapalabas pa ba ang Solar ng UFC?* We're still connected via SkyCable as of the moment and I saw Balls' commercial of UFC 81 that's why I asked the question.

They're still showing the old UFC fights at Solar sports, though I heard na-nasulot na ang UFC ng Skycable.

In response, I think the Solar guys are bringing in either K-1 or Pride FC.

john_paul_manahan
01-26-2008, 06:41 AM
btw, NBA will be shown now every weekend on RPN. if i am not mistaken at around 930.

bigfreeze_bibby
01-26-2008, 06:57 AM
btw, NBA will be shown now every weekend on RPN. if i am not mistaken at around 930.

Wala na sila sa ABC 5?

john_paul_manahan
01-26-2008, 07:56 AM
Wala na sila sa ABC 5?

yup. they just moved it.

james_ty
01-26-2008, 11:09 AM
Wala na sila sa ABC 5?

yup. they just moved it.

Mahina kasi ang signal ng ABC.
But House of Hoops will still be aired on that station every Monday and Thursday.

Jaco D
01-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Sorry for the medyo tangent question, but are all premium (basta yung "non-antenna") TV programming services in the Philippines delivered to subscribers via cable?* No one uses satellite transmission or some other method?* Been away from Inang Pinas for the better part of two decades, but when I left cable-TV was still a luxury then.* i would have thought that the price of the service would have gone down by now or other alternative ways of delivering premium programming would have already been availalbe.

pablohoney
01-26-2008, 12:20 PM
@Sir oca: Very interesting post. I too am keeping my fingers crossed about S23 NOT being able to extend their coverage/contract to cover UAAP. Basketball sila nagconcentrate, and yet even their coverage isn't exactly top-notch. And then now that volleyball, particularly women's volleyball, is becoming increasingly popular, they are now airing SOME of its games. Until 6:30 PM nga lang, kaya kung 5-setter ang 4PM game, hindi na matatapos. Like what happened to the UP-ADMU (?) WV a few weeks back. Parang na-flaashback ako during the Silverstar days. :D

S23 has this penchant of airing too many commercials and when they get back on air, action has already resumed. Telly viewers tend to miss out on a lot of actions.

james_ty
01-26-2008, 12:46 PM
S23 has this penchant of airing too many commercials and when they get back on air, action has already resumed. Telly viewers tend to miss out on a lot of actions.

I also noticed this too during the UAAP last season. Ang daming ads before the announcement of the first fives, especially during the Ateneo-La Salle games and the UE-La Salle finals.

oca
01-27-2008, 04:16 PM
@Sir oca: Very interesting post. I too am keeping my fingers crossed about S23 NOT being able to extend their coverage/contract to cover UAAP. Basketball sila nagconcentrate, and yet even their coverage isn't exactly top-notch. And then now that volleyball, particularly women's volleyball, is becoming increasingly popular, they are now airing SOME of its games. Until 6:30 PM nga lang, kaya kung 5-setter ang 4PM game, hindi na matatapos. Like what happened to the UP-ADMU (?) WV a few weeks back. Parang na-flaashback ako during the Silverstar days. :D

Kaya dapat lang, the UAAP Board, on the expiration of the league's contract with S23 should invite bids for the coverage of the UAAP GAMES. With GAMES I mean, hindi lang basketball and volleyball, but to include other events.

Tae Kwon Do and badminton are two events with a wide base of followers. Pwede agad yan isama sa line-up ng events na ipapalabas sa TV.

The UAAP Board should start thinking "progressively".

They should not wait for what S23 can offer. The Board should demand for the coverage of other events.

Regardless if S23 can meet such demands, bids from other entities should be accepted. Only in fair and open competition can the coverage of the UAAP will improve.

bigfreeze_bibby
01-28-2008, 08:21 AM
To oca, I agree pati football dapat televised din. I think this is one sport that has following as well in the country.

easter
01-28-2008, 08:33 AM
Wala na sila sa ABC 5?

yup. they just moved it.

Meron pang House of Hoops on Monday Nights. Malamang Yung Thursday nights meron pa yan sa ABC 5.

Kid Cubao
01-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Sorry for the medyo tangent question, but are all premium (basta yung "non-antenna") TV programming services in the Philippines delivered to subscribers via cable? *No one uses satellite transmission or some other method?

the biggest non-network entertainment providers in the philippines use cable, like skycable or destiny cable. however, there is also dream TV, which transmits via satellite. dream TV is popular in the provinces and among marine vessels like passenger ships. *

i would have thought that the price of the service would have gone down by now or other alternative ways of delivering premium programming would have already been availalbe.

in theory the price should really go down because of economies of scale and an overserved market. kaso, ang ginagawa nilang dahilan bakit patuloy na tumataas ang singil sa end-user ay ang patuloy ding pagtaas ng singil sa kanila ng mga premium channel providers gaya ng discovery network at star network.

batangueño
01-28-2008, 08:03 PM
Kumusta pala ang Balls? :D

john_paul_manahan
01-29-2008, 02:55 AM
that's why solar should ponder on the possibility of bidding.

CM_Punk
02-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Once a week na lang yung NBA game on ABC-5, and that's every Thursday. It's not even the full game, only 1st half highlights, and then they shown the full 2nd half. Monday is only a recap and highlights show, no NBA game. Weekend games are shown on CS/ RPN channel in the mornings.

james_ty
02-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Off topic: Congrats to Solar Sports for their unforgettable Super Bowl telecast this morning.

As for BTV, the Detroit vs. Dallas game was shown at 1 am while the Lakers-Wizards game followed at 3:30 am.

Replays were at 8:30 am and 11 am.

Primetime replays at 7 and 9:30 pm.

Highlights on House of Hoops tonight with Vitto and Lia!

jiggerman04
03-24-2008, 06:35 PM
is it true, babalik na daw ang Btv sa skycable..?

aircanda
03-24-2008, 08:32 PM
is it true, babalik na daw ang Btv sa skycable..?

really sir? pero it does not mean na ipupull-out ang btv sa destiny?

cub
03-24-2008, 08:38 PM
last week, nagpakabit ako ng destiny cable just for btv. the man who installed our cable said 5years ang kontrata ng btv sa destiny..

anyhoo, puro Lakers ang pinapalabas sa btv. nakakabwisit na. tapos papalabas din sa C/S,ESPN o star sports ung iba nilang laro. 3 to 4times ata per week pinapakita ang Lakers eh. bukas, Lakers vs. Warriors ang papakita, ok lang. pero sa thursday, Lakers vs. bobcats. WTF?? hindi ipapalabas ang suns vs. celts?? >:(

jiggerman04
03-24-2008, 10:31 PM
is it true, babalik na daw ang Btv sa skycable..?*

One of my friend told me na ibabalik na daw ata ang btv sa skycable bago mag nba playoffs,before april or may i guess,, due to public demand ang reason.. ni fflush daw kasi sa channel 5 ng skycable ung advisory regarding dun... YUn nga din ang concern ko nung narinig ko yun na baka i pull-out sa destiny...

@Cub...
thanks for the info bro,, ayos kung ganon! No need to worry anymore.. Tuloy ang ligaya!

stat
03-24-2008, 11:06 PM
is it true, babalik na daw ang Btv sa skycable..?*

One of my friend told me na ibabalik na daw ata ang btv sa skycable bago mag nba playoffs,before april or may i guess,, due to public demand ang reason.. ni fflush daw kasi sa channel 5 ng skycable ung advisory regarding dun... YUn nga din ang concern ko nung narinig ko yun na baka i pull-out sa destiny...

@Cub...
thanks for the info bro,, ayos kung ganon! No need to worry anymore.. Tuloy ang ligaya!

its a lie. solar and destiny have exclusive contracts. maybe not now but next year. pero no chance to dahil. galit sina lopez at tieng sa isat isa

marmand
03-25-2008, 12:20 AM
BTV showing too much Lakers is annoying. There are other teams that deserve to be shown but BTV seems to Favor the Lakers. Hope they can amend this priority and balance the exposure of all teams. :(

stat
03-25-2008, 08:44 AM
BTV showing too much Lakers is annoying. There are other teams that deserve to be shown but BTV seems to Favor the Lakers. Hope they can amend this priority and balance the exposure of all teams. :(

sakin ok lang. basta dikit yung laro. that a quality nba game to watch. download sopcast too. im watching suns vs pistons

cub
03-25-2008, 09:08 AM
hey stat, would you mind if you teach us here how to download sopcast..

jiggerman04
03-25-2008, 05:38 PM
familiar yang sopcast, pero clueless din ako kung pano.. how does it work? paturo din... thanks!

stat
03-25-2008, 06:14 PM
familiar yang sopcast, pero clueless din ako kung pano.. how does it work? paturo din... thanks!

download sopcast here:
http://mmshare.co.uk/en/download.php?id=00BC66FB7

to view different sports schedules:

http://myp2p.eu/index.php?part=sports

pindot nyo nalang yung basketball

or

you can watch the nba broadcast:

channelsurfing.net

or

http://www.justin.tv/alleytv

http://www.justin.tv/jayrntv

or

http://www.zhibo8.com/flacob.htm

or

http://www.janeironation.5gigs.com/rntv.html

pag hindi pa kayo nakapanood sa sobrang dami ng link na binigay ko. ewan ko nalang!!!!

OT: yung pacquiao-marquez match ay live sa sopcast kaya 12:30 pm plang alam ko na yung panalo. bensports yung channel.

you must have valid account for sopcast. kasi limited lang yung channel viewing pag anonymous user. free naman mag register sa website nila.

Bruticus
03-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Bad trip talaga. Now hindi ko mapapanood yung March Madness, Final Four and the National Title game. Unless i-air ng Balls. Yung sa ESPN naman puro replays.

cub
03-25-2008, 10:22 PM
just checked out btv's sked for the week. as what ive said, 3times pinapalabas ang Lakers. ok lang sana kung playoff team din ang kalaban eh. kaso they will show lakers vs. bobcats on thursday and AGAIN, lakers vs. GRIZZLIES on saturday. why not show celts vs. hornets or maybe even the uprising team in Sixers vs. Suns. para akong nasa LA nito eh. lahat ng games ng lakers napapanood ko. ang masama nito, Phoenix fan ako.

tigerman
03-25-2008, 10:37 PM
Kaboom of PEX (a.k.a. Jude Turcuato) had explained already in PEX that it is the NBA who decides what games are to be shown here in RP and not BTV.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

jiggerman04
03-25-2008, 10:56 PM

download sopcast here:
http://mmshare.co.uk/en/download.php?id=00BC66FB7

to view different sports schedules:

http://myp2p.eu/index.php?part=sports

pindot* nyo nalang yung basketball

or

you can watch the nba broadcast:

channelsurfing.net

or

http://www.justin.tv/alleytv

http://www.justin.tv/jayrntv

or

http://www.zhibo8.com/flacob.htm

or

http://www.janeironation.5gigs.com/rntv.html

pag hindi pa kayo nakapanood sa sobrang dami ng link na binigay ko. ewan ko nalang!!!!

OT: yung pacquiao-marquez match ay live sa sopcast kaya 12:30 pm plang alam ko na yung panalo. bensports yung channel.

you must have valid account for sopcast. kasi limited lang yung channel viewing pag anonymous user. free naman mag register sa website nila.

THanks man.. masubukan nga...

john_paul_manahan
03-26-2008, 04:51 AM
Bad trip talaga. Now hindi ko mapapanood yung March Madness, Final Four and the National Title game. Unless i-air ng Balls.* Yung sa ESPN naman puro replays.*

yup. puro replay ng Pac-10 tournament at ACC tournament. then again, they might show the CBI (the new tournament set-up this year, since Fox is the one showing it).

i doubt they will show the tourney since BTV has control over the tournament.

Jaco D
03-27-2008, 01:08 AM
Uso ba ang FTA (Free to Air) Satellite systems sa atin?* During the old days TVs had "rabbit ears" or those roof-mounted airplane looki-alike antennae to pick up broadcast signals from the air.* Perfectly legal.* Similarly, FTA systems pick up signals from the air only this time they pick them up from geocentric satellites revolving around the earth.* *The system is perfectly legal as far as I know.

However, anyone who has hot-rodded a car knows what you can do with a screwdriver.

canmaker
03-27-2008, 08:23 PM
'ala nyan dito, Bro. Padalhan mo naman ako galing sa Ontario !!!

Howard the Duck
04-02-2008, 12:27 PM
it sucks to be in sky in the following weeks :P

stat
04-24-2008, 11:19 AM
gud am sa skycable!!!!

sa mga gustong lumipat ng destiny at walang linya sa area nila, meron nang solusyon jan!!!

g-sat ng global destiny ang sagot jan!!!

6688 annual fee at meron kanang btv jack tv at solar sports.

kaya lipat na!!!

pm me for details

CM_Punk
10-30-2008, 12:10 PM
http://www.gmanews.tv/story/129869/BasketballTV-NBA-games-return-to-SkyCable

Basketball TV, NBA games return to SkyCable

10/28/2008 | 03:37 PM

MANILA, Philippines - Local fans of the National Basketball Association can start rejoicing.

A popular local-cable provider has decided to broadcast NBA games again after it cancelled their airing earlier this year.

And the timing couldn't have been more perfect.

The return of BasketballTV (BTV), the exclusive broadcast partner of the NBA in the Philippines, to SkyCable officially started Tuesday, coinciding with the opening of the NBA season on Wednesday Manila time.

But only SkyCable's subscribers outside Metro Manila can avail of BTV for free.

Its subscribers within Metro Manila still have to shell out P100 per month to receive BTV, apart from purchasing a requisite "digitalized box" worth P1,500.

Only the cities of Caloocan, Malabon, Navotas and Valenzuela are exempt from the charges in the Metro Manila area and can get BTV for free.

Nevertheless, with the SkyCable comeback more Filipinos can enjoy their steady diet of NBA action which was limited to Destiny Cable in Metro Manila beginning January 1 2008, the day SkyCable cut BTV from its roster of channels.

Jude Turcuato, the vice president for marketing of Solar Sports, BTV's mother company, said the clear winners are the fans.

"It was about pleasing the fans. Their demands have always been there and the clamor [for] NBA basketball has just been too high," he said.

- GMANews.TV

MaD CoW
10-31-2008, 04:56 PM
But only SkyCable's subscribers outside Metro Manila can avail of BTV for free.

Its subscribers within Metro Manila still have to shell out P100 per month to receive BTV, apart from purchasing a requisite "digitalized box" worth P1,500.

Only the cities of Caloocan, Malabon, Navotas and Valenzuela are exempt from the charges in the Metro Manila area and can get BTV for free.
Why did we have to move to QC?!?

Kid Cubao
10-31-2008, 05:11 PM

sabi ko na nga ba ibabalik din ng mga ungas sa skycable ang BTV, at sabi ko na nga ba na magtataas sila ng singil pagbalik nito. yun nga lang, lumipat na ako sa destiny, na hanggang ngayon ay wala pang star channels.

Raging Blue
11-01-2008, 01:30 AM
Mukhang pera pa rin mga Lopez* >:(

My apologies for the ranting.