PDA

View Full Version : DLSU vs Ateneo part 2

flsfnoeraekadad
09-03-2007, 11:53 AM
This is the all important game between bitter rivals.

Gamfacers, your opinions (and predictions) please. ;D

Howard the Duck
09-03-2007, 12:55 PM
sana manalo ateneo ;D

mighty_lion
09-03-2007, 03:59 PM
Malamang DLSU and Ateneo na ang match-up sa F4. Kung sino mananalo dito would carry over some psychological advantage pagdating ng F4. Goodluck to both teams.

cmq23
09-03-2007, 04:08 PM
Sana talaga manalo Ateneo. Just so nobody can ever say that the last game was just chamba.

aircanda
09-03-2007, 06:38 PM
ateneo.. simply because they need this game more than la salle.. well, for sure this will be very exciting..
sana nga magno. 4 na lang ang ateneo..para makaharap nila UE.. na sa tingen ko, ay mas magandang laban sa F4..
finals na lang un ADMU vs. DLSU..hehehe

Pizza Guy
09-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Forget about the #1 position. Ateneo needs the #2 position. Stepladder or Final Four, winning games would always give the boost.

Howard the Duck
09-03-2007, 09:40 PM
If La Salle wins, they're automatically #2 at the Final 4.

tigerman
09-03-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm hoping for an Ateneo win for the simple reason that it will benefit UST. ;D

Anyway, good luck to both teams.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

pablohoney
09-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Magandang laban ito.
I'd cheer for the team na mas kakaonti ang supporters sa loob ng Araneta. ;D

UST na iyun siyempre.
Araneta will be covered in blue and green, with a little yellow-gold in between. ;D

Seriously, now, I'd go for ADMU, too, for the same exact reason as tigerman has stated. :)

joelex
09-04-2007, 12:05 AM
what are the complications of this game on the final 4 scenario? Why would it be beneficial for UST if ADMU wins this one?

Howard the Duck
09-04-2007, 12:34 AM
what are the complications of this game on the final 4 scenario? Why would it be beneficial for UST if ADMU wins this one?
If Ateneo wins, UST has a chance at the #2 berth provided UST wins their last 2 games (vs. ADU and FEU) and ADMU wins at most 1 game and LS never wins again. ;D

animoateneo
09-04-2007, 02:46 AM
If Ateneo wins, UST has a chance at the #2 berth provided UST wins their last 2 games (vs. ADU and FEU) and ADMU wins at most 1 game and LS never wins again. ;D

that's quite a long shot... ;D

davrub2003
09-04-2007, 07:15 AM

that's quite a long shot...* ;D

very, very, very long shot

Howard the Duck
09-04-2007, 08:42 AM

that's quite a long shot... ;D

UST can win their last 2 games, I dunno if ADMU can lose theirs ;D
Kung panalo na rin ang la salle, sana manalo na rin sila sa laban nila vs. UE nang may final four semis pa :P

davrub2003
09-04-2007, 11:42 AM

Kung panalo na rin ang la salle, sana manalo na rin sila sa laban nila vs. UE nang may final four semis pa :P

how sure is it that UST can win their last 2 games?* and ateneo losing theirs?*
i think you got it all wrong.*
any team can intentionally lose a game, if they want to and that's for sure.*
but to win a game, that is anybody's guess.

Howard the Duck
09-04-2007, 02:37 PM

English: UST can win their games
Tagalog: Kayang ipanalo ng UST ang mga natititrang mga laro

English: UST will win their games
Tagalog: Mananalo ng UST ang mga natititrang mga laro

Wala akong sinasabing mananalo ang UST, ang sabi ko, kaya nilang ipanalo ang last 2 games nila.

davrub2003
09-05-2007, 06:31 AM

English: UST can win their games
Tagalog: Kayang ipanalo ng UST ang mga natititrang mga laro

English: UST will win their games
Tagalog: Mananalo ng UST ang mga natititrang mga laro

Wala akong sinasabing mananalo ang UST, ang sabi ko, kaya nilang ipanalo ang last 2 games nila.

i said, "ust can win games" is still anybody's guess, meaning, how sure is it that they can win their last two games. wala akong sinabi na hindi kaya ng ust. ang sinabi ko lang kung na nothing is sure on this matter.

and we were not talking about ust winning its games. we were talking about ust's chances in occupying the #2 slot (you started this) and you based your so-called analyses on the outcome of the other teams' games, which is not under the control of ust.

and because that is the basis of the discussion in this thread, your statement "ust can win..." is aimed at that premise. that statement should not be taken in isolation, which is what you did in your last post.

anyway, maybe i just misunderstood you or you misunderstood me. being the defending champions, we also hope to see you in the final 4. and la salle, even if it was not around last year's season, just being in the final four is something else.

but if la salle does get in the finals (i hope), i'd rather that we face UST because they are the defending champions. but of course, we cannot take UE out of the equation and it is always fun and more exciting to see a La Salle-Ateneo finals being bitter rivals as far as anyone can remember. this is just my opinion.

Dark Knight
09-05-2007, 08:49 AM
From a Tamaraw point of view, the scenarios look very very bleak for us. The most FEU can win is 8 games. UST and ADMU already have seven. Id rather see Ateneo lose para magka pag asa kami. The same with UST. Sure na ang 8th win ng UST against AdU and Ateneo against UP.

So were hoping that Ateneo, UST and FEU will all end up at 8 wins. Samahan nyo naman kami. ;D

gfy
09-05-2007, 10:16 AM
^You have to beat UST. And if both of you end up having 6 losses, there will be a knockout game.

Howard the Duck
09-05-2007, 07:21 PM
ah basta, UST can win their last 2 games. yun na ;D

PointForward
09-06-2007, 04:58 PM
Ateneo must win...if only to ensure that in the DLSU vs. UE game, both teams will play to win, or more importantly, DLSU will play to win.

If Ateneo loses, there is no incentive for DLSU to go all out against UE, with the Archers more or less assured of the 2nd slot, and the twice to beat advantage that comes with it. With the 2nd a lock, Franz will not jeopardize bunso Dindo's sweep and the outright finals berth. Baka maging usapang pamilya na lang to get one team to the finals outright.

But if DLSU loses -- and with the last Ateneo game played after DLSU vs. UE -- it doesn't want a scenario where its placing is out of their hands.

UE doesn't want to face UST in a semis match-up, because they know that they can lose that series to a host school and all that comes with it.

UE wouldn't want to face Ateneo either that early, because though it beat the Blue Eagles twice, only Ateneo has played them consistently close.

Whatever the case, its going to be a helluva exciting game with both teams peaking.

Unless naka-kasa mga ibang player diyan...

mabelle_dj
09-06-2007, 07:57 PM

Ateneans: "We'll do our best to win this game. But if we don't... basta wag lang La Salle."
LaSallians/LaSallites: "Kami panalo... at kung talo kami... protest!"

Hahaha.. joke lang!

pablohoney
09-06-2007, 09:35 PM

Nakataga na ba sa bato yan, pards? ;D
Will watch the game sa TV na lang.
Yung naiskor kong tickets, pinaubaya ko na lang sa mga kabataan...

Interesting kase parehong may gigil (as always) ang maglalaban, plus yung placing (and bragging rights) na halo.... = umaatikabong bakbakan!! ;D

Howard the Duck
09-08-2007, 06:09 PM

Nakataga na ba sa bato yan, pards? ;D
Will watch the game sa TV na lang.
Yung naiskor kong tickets, pinaubaya ko na lang sa mga kabataan...

Interesting kase parehong may gigil (as always) ang maglalaban, plus yung placing (and bragging rights) na halo.... = umaatikabong bakbakan!! ;D

If La Salle wins pala, they're automatic #2 na, so theoretically, there's no reason for them to beat UE on their last game.

cobym
09-08-2007, 08:21 PM

Ateneans: "We'll do our best to win this game. But if we don't... basta wag lang La Salle."

Hahaha.. joke lang!

Nice one mabes.

For me, just throw out all the statbook and simply enjoy!

jembengzon
09-09-2007, 06:30 AM
good luck to both teams, and may they play hard, clean and may God keep all the players safe from injuries

irateluvmachine
09-09-2007, 07:40 AM

Ateneans: "We'll do our best to win this game.* But if we don't... basta wag lang La Salle."

Hahaha.. joke lang!

got us there... :D

seriously, i hope both teams could make it a good, clean game...without the controversies of previous ateneo-la salle matchups...

ANIMO LA SALLE!!!

hannah17
09-09-2007, 09:35 AM
I hope Ateneo will win this game.. ;D

One Big Fight!

irateluvmachine
09-09-2007, 04:24 PM
almost halfway thru the first quarter, ateneo leads 7-3...

irateluvmachine
09-09-2007, 04:42 PM
end of first quarter, la salle 18, ateneo 15...15-2 run by la salle, triggered by villanueva, maierhofer and malabes.

ANIMO LA SALLE!!!

irateluvmachine
09-09-2007, 05:17 PM
end of first half - la salle 44, ateneo 38.

good game by rico, but again...needs to cut down on those useless fouls. casio is 0-8, but cholo villanueva has played quite well off the bench.

james_ty
09-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Ateneo won by two points, 89-87.

Chris Tiu hit a triple with 17.8 seconds left to put the Eagles ahead.

Rico Maierhofer's last-second putback at the buzzer was nullified because the referees ruled that it came after the buzzer sounded.

Overall, it was a dramatic game.

By the way, Mike Enriquez was there, as well as Cheska Garcia (with Doug Kramer), Rica Peralejo and Jaymee Joaquiin.

The ABS-CBN TV host was so SEXY that night!!!

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Howard the Duck
09-09-2007, 07:54 PM
great game.

it'll even be better if UE and NU wins on their next games :p

bluewing
09-09-2007, 08:01 PM
;D

pablohoney
09-09-2007, 08:39 PM
WOW!
What a ballgame.

Nullified ang tira ni Rico M. (can't spell the last time eh ;D). Sayang yung asta niya nung nashoot niya.
I thought there was even a foul called... Pressure-packed FTs yun sa kanya. Sayang.

Hope the game will not be marred by another protest. Sana may inoffer na closer angle/view ang camera, medyo malayo kase yung view ng last-second shot ni Rico eh.

Galing ni Yuri.

radonc
09-09-2007, 08:54 PM
so are we expecting a protest to be filed tomorrow ;D

se7en
09-09-2007, 10:04 PM
i know hindi counted yung tira ni rico... pero dba may foul? nag signal un bseline referee ng foul eh... so ang ibig sabihin tinawag un foul nung ubos na ang oras?

dba dapat may freethrow? pls enlighten me.. ???

mabelle_dj
09-09-2007, 10:44 PM
i know hindi counted yung tira ni rico... pero dba may foul? nag signal un bseline referee ng foul eh... so ang* ibig sabihin tinawag un foul nung ubos na ang oras?

haha.. and there lies dlsu's basis for a potential protest. Funny enough, when I texted a friend that ateneo won by 2 points, her immediate reply was: is there basis for a protest? :D

radonc
09-09-2007, 10:50 PM
i know hindi counted yung tira ni rico... pero dba may foul? nag signal un bseline referee ng foul eh... so ang* ibig sabihin tinawag un foul nung ubos na ang oras?

The other referees and the technical committee reversed the call of the ref. Besides, unless the foul was obvious, they aren't usually called in the dying seconds of a game.
Also, I guess it would be higly appreciated if textspeak is not used? Unless your keyboard isn't fuctioning right... ::)
Can't wait to see if protest rumours will circulate again... ;)

whitehotsoul
09-09-2007, 10:50 PM
Wala ba 'tong replay?

mabelle_dj
09-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Wala ba 'tong replay?

meron on sky. tagabundok na ako ngayon so I don't remember on w/c channel the replay is shown.

flsfnoeraekadad
09-09-2007, 11:02 PM
GADDEMET SOMEBODY FORGOT TO CHECK ATENEO'S 1-4 PLAY!!! ::)

Howard the Duck
09-09-2007, 11:28 PM
i know hindi counted yung tira ni rico... pero dba may foul? nag signal un bseline referee ng foul eh... so ang ibig sabihin tinawag un foul nung ubos na ang oras?

The other referees and the technical committee reversed the call of the ref. Besides, unless the foul was obvious, they aren't usually called in the dying seconds of a game.
Also, I guess it would be higly appreciated if textspeak is not used? Unless your keyboard isn't fuctioning right... ::)
Can't wait to see if protest rumours will circulate again... ;)
maybe the foul happened when time expired?

Scenarios:
If UE, Ateneo and UST wins:
* UE will advance to the Finals.
* Ateneo will advance to the semifinals.
* La Salle and UST will face each other at the first round.

If UE, Ateneo and FEU wins:
* Ateneo will advance to the semifinals.
* La Salle advance to the first round.
* UST and FEU will face each other at a knockout game.

If La Salle, Ateneo and UST wins:
* UST will advance to the semifinals.
* La Salle and Ateneo will face each other at the first round.

If La Salle, Ateneo and FEU wins:
* UE will advance to the semifinals.
* Ateneo and La Salle will have a playoff to determine which team gets the twice to beat advantage.
* FEU and UST will face each other at a knockout game.

If La Salle and UST wins:
* UE and Ateneo will face each other at the semifinals, with UE having the twice to beat advantage.
* UST and La Salle will have a playoff to determine which team gets the twice to beat advantage.

If La Salle and FEU wins:
* UE and UST will face each other at the semifinals, with UE having the twice to beat advantage.
* La Salle and Ateneo will face each other at the semifinals, with La Salle having the twice to beat advantage.

If only UST wins:
* UST will at least have berth for the semifinal berth, or clinch the semifinal berth outright.
* Ateneo will at least have berth for the semifinal berth, or face La Salle in the first round.

reastern
09-10-2007, 12:06 AM
after watching the replay, you can clearly see that the hand of the ref went up after the time expired... :)

pablohoney
09-10-2007, 12:20 AM
Yup, the baseline ref indeed blew his whistle.
Pero it was overturned since wala nang time.

Again, this is where DLSU's basis lies kapag nagprotesta sila. ;)

tigerman
09-10-2007, 12:31 AM
@ Howard
I have some corrections with your scenario no. 3 (If DLSU, Ateneo and UST wins)
DLSU and Ateneo will battle in a knockout match to determine no. 2 seed in the final four and will slug it out in the semis.
Meanwhile, UST will be at no. 4 and will face UE in the other pairing for the semis.

Back to the topic:
One of the best games for this season. This is how basketball should be played with all the stars stepping up (except Casio who had a relatively quiet night) for their respective teams.

As to the drums:
It was quality over quantity as the Babble Band had the upperhand all game long.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

joelex
09-10-2007, 01:01 AM
great great game. the last 3 minutes of the game was a seesaw battle. Tiu's 3 answered by ty's own version, escueta and salamat also contributed, casio scores first FG with a minute left, Classic ballgame.

This year's DLSU team is a far cry from their teams this past decade. As far as talent is concerned this team is notches below from the previous ones. That's why i thought they were overrated coming into this season, come to think of it, after rico casio ty and cholo, the rest are just fill ins and rookies (not impact rookies even). They lack the cardona / yeo type who singlehandedly killed their opponents and would possess a killer instinct which made la salle a very very intimidating team to go up against.

davrub2003
09-10-2007, 04:56 AM
great great game. the last 3 minutes of the game was a seesaw battle. Tiu's 3 answered by ty's own version, escueta and salamat also contributed, casio scores first FG with a minute left, Classic ballgame.

This year's DLSU team is a far cry from their teams this past decade. As far as talent is concerned this team is notches below from the previous ones. That's why i thought they were overrated coming into this season, come to think of it, after rico casio ty and cholo, the rest are just fill ins and rookies (not impact rookies even). They lack the cardona / yeo type who singlehandedly killed their opponents and would possess a killer instinct which made la salle a very very intimidating team to go up against.

Not exactly that far from teams of the past. La Salle is still in second place (only to be tied by Ateneo in a game which could have gone another way). Considering La Salle was absent last year, they still did their homework to be in this position. Ateneo and UST could have shown better runs having played the championships last year.

Let's just say UE, Ateneo, UST (in that order) have better teams than ever.

Howard the Duck
09-10-2007, 09:45 AM
@ Howard
DLSU and Ateneo will battle in a knockout match to determine no. 2 seed in the final four and will slug it out in the semis.
Meanwhile, UST will be at no. 4 and will face UE in the other pairing for the semis.

Back to the topic:
One of the best games for this season. This is how basketball should be played with all the stars stepping up (except Casio who had a relatively quiet night) for their respective teams.

As to the drums:
It was quality over quantity as the Babble Band had the upperhand all game long.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

I stand corrected. ;D

Lasalista ba si frankie? :P

james_ty
09-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Wala ba 'tong replay?

meron on sky.* tagabundok na ako ngayon so I don't remember on w/c channel the replay is shown.

It's on Channel 61.

PointForward
09-10-2007, 02:29 PM
The protocol for end-game buzzer beaters is that the referees should not call the basket as good UNTIL AFTER THEY HAVE REVIEWED THE SLO-MO REPLAY. This makes sense as referees are generally looking at the action on the floor and not at the clock or the light, and can't get a good assessment of the relation of the shot's release to the clock. That referee (Mendoza I think his name is) had no business calling the basket good from the floor.

That, and the subsequent attempt to call an and-1, was clearly an attempt by a referee to influence the result of a game.

No self-respecting referee would dare make a phantom call in an end-game situation. Apparently the self-respect of this official was already paid for.

In the first half of yesterday's game, DLSU assistant coach Jack Santiago was hurling invectives at Ford. That fellow basketball-lovers is a no-no: coaches have no business cursing opposing players, especially in the college game. It just reeks of a lack of class, breeding, etiquette. But what can one expect from DLSU, that knowingly lets players in who have hardly a high school education, if at all? That has student-athletes who are hardly students? You reap what you sow, as they say.

We have two players who got married in recent months, both expecting babies. All our players have to get passing marks, and by the way, are only allowed 3 free cuts. These are not distractions for a Blue Eagle. These are the challenges we hurdle, and in the end, give us an edge the Archers are hard-pressed to come by: CHARACTER.

So go ahead La Salle. Face us with your thoroughbred athletes (who like horses, have no other purpose than that for which they were intended). Protest to your hearts' content. Curse us with your poorly-bred coaches. In the end, we will prevail.

tigerman
09-10-2007, 02:40 PM
@ Howard

Back to the topic:

As to the drums:

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

I stand corrected. ;D

Sinong Frankie?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Howard the Duck
09-10-2007, 05:57 PM
@ Howard

Back to the topic:

As to the drums:

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

I stand corrected. ;D

Sinong Frankie?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

daughter of kiko and ate shawie. i presume she was the kid accompanying senator kiko.

davrub2003
09-10-2007, 06:37 PM
The protocol for end-game buzzer beaters is that the referees should not call the basket as good UNTIL AFTER THEY HAVE REVIEWED THE SLO-MO REPLAY. This makes sense as referees are generally looking at the action on the floor and not at the clock or the light, and can't get a good assessment of the relation of the shot's release to the clock. That referee (Mendoza I think his name is) had no business calling the basket good from the floor.

That, and the subsequent attempt to call an and-1, was clearly an attempt by a referee to influence the result of a game.

No self-respecting referee would dare make a phantom call in an end-game situation. Apparently the self-respect of this official was already paid for.

In the first half of yesterday's game, DLSU assistant coach Jack Santiago was hurling invectives at Ford. That fellow basketball-lovers is a no-no: coaches have no business cursing opposing players, especially in the college game. It just reeks of a lack of class, breeding, etiquette. But what can one expect from DLSU, that knowingly lets players in who have hardly a high school education, if at all? That has student-athletes who are hardly students? You reap what you sow, as they say.

We have two players who got married in recent months, both expecting babies. All our players have to get passing marks, and by the way, are only allowed 3 free cuts. These are not distractions for a Blue Eagle. These are the challenges we hurdle, and in the end, give us an edge the Archers are hard-pressed to come by: CHARACTER.

So go ahead La Salle. Face us with your thoroughbred athletes (who like horses, have no other purpose than that for which they were intended). Protest to your hearts' content. Curse us with your poorly-bred coaches. In the end, we will prevail.

So, what is it that you are trying to point out? Your post is just a hodgepodge of unrelated themes. I can just guess this is what they taught you in English 101 at the Ateneo.

irateluvmachine
09-10-2007, 07:03 PM
too bad i had to leave for work with a minute remaining in the game. but while my "buzzer-beater" was counted and my supervisor hasn't marked me as late so far, rico maierhofer's wasn't, and that is that. my dad, whom i watched the game with at home, and was able to complete it, said there should be no grounds for protest or controversy, the buzzer sounded just as rico was heaving up his shot. sana wag nang magprotest ang la salle...they have a tough game ahead of them versus UE, and again...the focus needs to be on WINNING, not WHINING. both teams played hard all 40 minutes long, but in the end, ateneo played the better game...

great game, though...one of the best ateneo-la salle games i've watched.

ANIMO LA SALLE!!!

irateluvmachine
09-10-2007, 07:05 PM

not really a far cry, pero tama ka...la salle doesn't have that ritualo/cardona-type player right now...

gameface_one
09-11-2007, 07:34 AM
Headlines for a cliffhanger

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPORTING CHANCE By JOAQUIN M. HENSON
Philstar.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rather than analyze the game to death, I thought of 15 headlines that could summarize what was probably one of the most exciting duels in recent UAAP history.

It was Sunday Suspense Theater at the Araneta Coliseum last Sunday as Ateneo and La Salle slugged it out in a crucial UAAP senior men’s basketball game before about 20,000 fans.

The outcome was decided only after the referees viewed a TV replay machine to determine that La Salle center Rico Maierhofer’s shot was released a split second after time ran out. The replay showed the ball in Maierhofer’s fingertips at the 0:00.00 mark, nullifying the conversion which, if counted, would’ve sent the game into overtime.

Ateneo held on to win, 89-87, in a thriller that featured nine lead changes and three ties, the last at 79-all. The Blue Eagles’ biggest lead was 10, at 13-3 in the first quarter, while the Green Archers’ largest margin was 13, at 51-38 in the third.

Ateneo alumnus Manny Pangilinan called it “another epic game which only La Salle and Ateneo can write.” He said, “La Salle deserves equal credit for an excellent game” and in a text, added “see you at the finals!”

There was talk of La Salle filing a protest since one of the referees, Ronald Bermejo, signaled Maierhofer’s shot as counted at the buzzer. But even if the protest is filed, nothing will come of it because in effect, Bermejo’s call was overturned after the referees consulted the replay machine.

Rather than analyze the game to death, I thought of 15 headlines that could summarize what was probably one of the most exciting duels in recent UAAP history.

Eureka, It’s Yuri! Nobody imagined Ateneo guard Yuri Escueta would play like he did, except perhaps his cousin Olsen Racela and Eagles coach Norman Black. Escueta was Black’s magic, the rabbit that jumped out of his hat. He fired 16 points, including 3-of-3 treys, and knocked down the triple that erased the Archers’ 84-83 lead with 1:04 to go.

Tiu For Two. Twice, Ateneo guard Chris Tiu has stuck the dagger in La Salle’s heart this season. In their first meeting, Tiu buried a three that pushed Ateneo on top, 78-74, with 21 ticks left and sank two free throws to ice it, 80-77, in overtime. Last Sunday, he put in the killer triple to seal La Salle’s doom with 17.8 seconds remaining and finished with a team-high 19 points.

Jobe Well Done. Burly Jobe Nkemakolam came up big off the bench with 10 points, including 6-of-6 foul shots, and six rebounds in 15 minutes. Jobe bears a striking resemblance to San Beda College’s Jay-R (Baby Shaq) Taganas.

Long Came Up Short. Kirk Long, the hero in Ateneo’s buzzer-beater win over UST and one of the Chosen Few in recent Manila visitor Kobe Bryant’s elite camp, was not a factor. He scored only three points, all in the second period.

Sweet Charities. Spoiling La Salle’s chances to win was the Archers’ poor showing at the stripe. La Salle flubbed 13 while Ateneo missed only six. The Archers clanged three in the fourth period and they wound up losing by two.

Rico’s Recovery. It was the biggest basket that wasn’t. Maierhofer rebounded Jayvee Casio’s turnaround 15-foot jumper and hit the put back but the referees ruled it came after the clock expired.

No Casio and Carry. The roof caved in on La Salle’s star guard. Casio scored the Archers’ last five points – his only points the entire game – and missed the shot that would’ve forced an extension. He was AWOL almost the whole stretch, hitting 1-of-15 from the floor. If only Casio played half his potential, the Archers would’ve probably won.

Thanks to Salamat. Ateneo guard Eric Salamat stepped up to make a difference with 15 points, including 5-of-5 free throws, in 23 minutes. He rifled in a huge triple that tied the count, 75-all, in the fourth quarter. Curiously, his La Salle counterpart is also blessed with a grateful name TY Tang.

Atkins Diet. La Salle coach Franz Pumaren sprang a surprise on Ateneo by sending in rookie Simon Atkins to barnacle Eagles guard Jai Reyes who was held to only a triple and a free throw.

Sandal Sa Bader. La Salle unveiled a rising star in Fil-Bahrainian Bader Malabes who contributed 11 points, including a triple and two bank shots on daring incursions down the middle. The downside was he failed to score in the last period, when it mattered most.

KSP or Kulang Sa Pukpok. La Salle’s backup centers took a day off as P. J. Walsham, Ferdinand and Kish Co scored a combined five points. Co missed two gift shots which would’ve expanded the Archers lead to nine in the third quarter. The Eagles then ignited a 10-4 blast to finish the period.

Magandang Arao Bayan. Ateneo’s top scorer Ford Arao was blanked in the first quarter but still wound up with 18 points, 13 in the second half. His field goal brought the lead back to Ateneo, 83-82.

Double Black Eye. That was what Black gave to La Salle, sweeping both games in the eliminations. Black had to sweat for the twin wins but the hard work was worth every drop of perspiration.

Seeing Red. Pumaren showed up wearing a red, not green, shirt, probably because in the UAAP, red is the color of the season with the UE Red Warriors still unbeaten. Now, Pumaren hopes red will be the losing color in UE’s final elimination game against La Salle on Thursday.

Chiller from Cholo. La Salle’s graduating Cholo Villanueva provided chilling heroics from the bench, pouring in seven points in the first period and ending up with 18. His back-to-back baskets highlighted the Archers’ 8-0 run early in the fourth period. Ateneo, however, countered with an 11-2 bomb and Villanueva didn’t score again.

And that’s all she wrote.

dips15
09-11-2007, 12:29 PM

not really a far cry, pero tama ka...la salle doesn't have that ritualo/cardona-type player right now...

True... but none of the teams do... except maybe for Jervy Cruz of UST.

Ateneo has no one in the mold of Tenorio, Villanueava or Fonacier.
FEU doesn't have an Arwind Santos and UE does not have a James Yap.

The truth is, the UAAP is wide open this year. A lot of talent but nothing overwhelming. This year's champion will trully need to be the best team to win. Right now, it is UE that seems to have the best team. But of course, things can still change in the final four and the championships.

oreo
09-11-2007, 11:36 PM
That brilliant referee, Ronald Bermejo, tried to decide the game at every stage, most obviously in the end game. In the last one minute of the game, he called a ticky tack foul on Escueta to give Casio 2 free throws. That gave La Salle easy two points and, most of all, Casio's shooting groove.*

The height of Bermejo's partiality came in the last second shot of Maierhoffer. You don't call a ticky tack foul in the final seconds of a game to give a player freethrows which will decide the outcome unless there is an obvious foul which gave a player a tremendous advantage.* Let the players win the game on their own. Bermejo wanted to hand this game to La Salle on a silver platter. Good luck on how he will explain the loss to his patrons.

Ateneo could not get a foul in the fourth quarter. The fouls called were 9 against Ateneo and 3 against La Salle. Take this for example: In the first quarter, the refs called a defensive foul on a player who jumps straight up and is bumped or hit by his man jumping into his vertical space. This was the foul callled on Walsham,* when Salamat jumped into him, and Baclao, when Villanueva jumped into him to initiate the contact. In the last 2 minutes of the 4th quater, Tiu drove to the basket jumping into his man who has running beside him to challenge his shot. NO FOUL! That's ok. It's a let go situation since it's the end game. However, the calls made by Bermejo a few seconds later to favor La Salle simply betray his evident partiality.

Here is an argument for La Salle. I honestly hope they use it protest the game. Show your true colors.
If the foul called by Bermejo was for "contact" made before time expired, then there should have been free throws awarded to Maierhoffer. The fact that the referee made the call after the buzzer sounded is immaterial. You can't expect the referee to make a call and raise his arms simultaneously with the contact. As long as the contact is made when there was still time on the clock, there should be a foul. Respect the referee's decision.* That's his way of deciding the game.*

Go ahead Franz. File a protest.* ;)* *

oreo
09-11-2007, 11:56 PM
Jack Santiago tried dirty tricks by trash talking to Arao. When it's a member fo the coaching staff doing it, which they are not supposed to do due to their ascendancy over the players, it's called taunting or intimidation. It runs right smack into tenets of fairplay most reprehensible when employed people who are supposed to be respected on the court.

No wonder the players display the same kind of behavior. Remember Yeo trash talking the Ateneo coaching staff in 2004 or 2005 final 4 when La Salle already had the victory sealed. Remember the Arana jig which showed the model student's lack of breeding and magnanimity in victory. Remember Yeo taunting Arwind Santos when their paths crossed as the buzzer sounded in the La Salle loss in the finals. Salgado rushed in to deliver the treacherous punch.

Finally, do you still wonder why Jobe Nkemakolam got his souvenir from "Crminology Major" ilad and Ford took 2 swipes on the face, one from Maierhoffer and one from Walsham.
Check this out.

http://www.fabilioh.com/photos/main.php?g2_itemId=7063

oreo
09-12-2007, 12:03 AM
Remember when Ford Arao tried to block Maierhoffer's dunk and committed a foul in the process, Ford reached out to Maierhoffer to apologize. Dolphy Maierhoffer just walked away. The next play down, Arao faked off Dolphy Maierhoffer, who gave Arao a good "whack-the-ball-or-face" coming down. He got equal face and ball with the whack. Again, Dolphy Maierhoffer just walked away but this time with a smirk.* *;D

Kudos to Arao who kept his composure despite all the challenges and played a great game.* *

Guardian Angel
09-12-2007, 10:07 AM
I am very proud of the Blue and White. This is one of their "weaker" teams on paper. Not in the same talent level of the teams of '99-05. But they showed pride and mental toughness.

La salle was playing mind games from the start. In ateneo.edu, it was reported that La Salle officials, before the game, sarcastically wished Jobe and Rabah good luck. Jack the Ripper Santiago was taunting Ford Arao, who is young enough to be his son. Ilad was a bona fide criminal-ogy graduate taking cheap shots and trash talking. Walsham was the same. Lolo Cholo and DOlphy Maierhofer were all angas.

But that's all part of the game. And the classy emerge victorious in grand fashion.

FUnny how Mr. Suave exchanged some words with Ateneo supporters on the way to dugout. Ateneans suggested to him that he should just put the game under protest again, and this seemed to irk him the most. Nothing really wrong with that suggestion, coach. Just do it.

5FootCarrot
09-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Bakit naman "Dolphy" Maierhofer? ???

actionscript
09-12-2007, 01:59 PM
^^ Kamukha nya si Dolphy of the 60's. ;D

Or kahit si Epi Quizon. ;)

5FootCarrot
09-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Oh, I see. Well, he can't do much about that short of major cosmetic surgery. However, I would like to recommend that someone teach him how to shave more neatly. That scrubby beard he was sporting last Sunday didn't look menacing, just sloppy. :( Sorry, that doesn't have much to do with the game anymore, but I think it would do him (and the people who have to look at him) a world of good.

eggyboi
09-12-2007, 02:27 PM
ganun talaga.... ;D pag talo talo...
hahaha!!!

jayverns
09-12-2007, 11:33 PM
Bakit naman "Dolphy" Maierhofer? ???

hindi ba Mangyanhoffer gaya ng mga naririnig ko? :D

jembengzon
09-13-2007, 12:04 AM
Oh, I see. Well, he can't do much about that short of major cosmetic surgery. However, I would like to recommend that someone teach him how to shave more neatly. That scrubby beard he was sporting last Sunday didn't look menacing, just sloppy. :( Sorry, that doesn't have much to do with the game anymore, but I think it would do him (and the people who have to look at him) a world of good.

and this, carrot is a hopeful statement ? ;D
sorry, could not resist. back to topic :D

joelex
09-13-2007, 12:19 AM
totoo ba ang sabi na P30M ang budget ng ateneo bball team per year? Napaka swerte nga naman, pati si chris tiu na yaman yaman, p15000 per month. Sarap nga pala talaga maging atenista ano..

yuck_UE
09-25-2007, 03:32 AM
Remember when Ford Arao tried to block Maierhoffer's dunk and committed a foul in the process, Ford reached out to Maierhoffer to apologize. Dolphy Maierhoffer just walked away. The next play down, Arao faked off Dolphy Maierhoffer, who gave Arao a good "whack-the-ball-or-face" coming down. He got equal face and ball with the whack. Again, Dolphy Maierhoffer just walked away but this time with a smirk.* *;D

Kudos to Arao who kept his composure despite all the challenges and played a great game.* *

If Rico looked like Dolphy, si Arao ano? Bentong?

The ONLY reason why I want an Ateneo vs UE Finals is due to the fact na parehas bastos ang crowd nila.

Mind you, I'm NOT from DLSU.

Monfort
Al Hussaini
Nkemakolam
Laterre
Long

....sige kuha pa kayo ng mga porengers!

animoateneo
09-25-2007, 05:20 AM

The ONLY reason why I want an Ateneo vs UE Finals is due to the fact na parehas bastos ang crowd nila.

Monfort
Al Hussaini
Nkemakolam
Laterre
Long

FYI, Nkemakolam is a filipino citizen. He grew up in manila. Emman Monfort is also a filipino.

And Kirk? He's been here since he was 2. Around 90% of his lifetime was spent here. He may not be a Filipino citizen but he's Filipino enough for me.

Too bad you're not a la sallite, you almost act like one, well amost...

JonarSabilano
09-25-2007, 09:37 AM

Monfort
Al Hussaini
Nkemakolam
Laterre
Long

FYI, Nkemakolam is a filipino citizen. He grew up in manila. Emman Monfort is also a filipino.

And Kirk? He's been here since he was 2. Around 90% of his lifetime was spent here. He may not be a Filipino citizen but he's Filipino enough for me.

Too bad you're not a la sallite, you almost act like one, well amost...

Monfort, a foreigner? Bwahahahahaha.

Ingat lang, yuck_UE. Baka mamaya makarinig ka ng Ilonggo sa kanya. ;D

PointForward
09-25-2007, 11:26 AM

Monfort
Al Hussaini
Nkemakolam
Laterre
Long

Monfort!?! Nakarinig ka lang ng foreign-sounding, you assume that he's a foreigner! Have you seen the kid? Do you hear how he talks?

Last I checked Mindanao was still part of the Philippines. ;D

BigBlue
09-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Monfort!?! Nakarinig ka lang ng foreign-sounding, you assume that he's a foreigner! Have you seen the kid? Do you hear how he talks?

Last I checked Mindanao was still part of the Philippines. ;D

PointForward, Monfort is from Iloilo, not Mindanao

5FootCarrot
09-25-2007, 11:40 AM
yuck_UE, on the current Blue Eagles lineup, only two players don't have any Filipino blood - Laterre and Long. Despite his foreign looks, Rabeh Al-Hussaini is half-Filipino and, I believe, a Filipino citizen. You might also want to hear how he talks.

Actually, you might want to spend some time thinking and fact-checking before posting. I see you replied to something previously posted on this thread, but your comment about "porengers" frankly doesn't do anyone any good.

shyboy
09-25-2007, 12:33 PM

Last I checked Mindanao was still part of the Philippines.* ;D

PointForward, Monfort is from Iloilo, not Mindanao

Di lang pala Math, pati Geography. :D

atenean_blooded
09-25-2007, 01:02 PM
Foreigner si Monfort?

Sabagay. Hindi siya galing sa Republic of Metro Manila.

Jump_Shooter
09-25-2007, 11:14 PM
Matagal nang natapos ito. Doon na lang kayo sa Stepladder thread.