PDA

View Full Version : (2007) Whos better? UE or SBC?

Dark Knight
08-29-2007, 08:44 PM
Nearing the playoffs, there is no doubt that this two teams are the best in their respective league. UE is sporting an immaculate record at the UAAP while San Beda has only a solitary loss to show at the NCAA. Both have good players. Both are poised to enter the finals and eventually win. No team can match with them.

Now if we will match these two strong teams, who do you think is better. UE or Sa Beda? And why?

;D ;D ;D

mighty_lion
08-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Nearing the playoffs, there is no doubt that this two teams are the best in their respective league. UE is sporting an immaculate record at the UAAP while San Beda has only a solitary loss to show at the NCAA. Both have good players. Both are poised to enter the finals and eventually win. No team can match with them.

Now if we will match these two strong teams, who do you think is better. UE or Sa Beda? And why?

;D ;D ;D

Hard to tell. Pero kung gagawa talaga ng match-up kasama Juniors at Seniors Team B. San Beda by mile. :P

Howard the Duck
08-29-2007, 10:52 PM
UE ;D

irateluvmachine
08-30-2007, 10:10 AM
whoa...this is a tough one...

but i think i'll have to go with san beda.

LION
08-30-2007, 10:24 AM
UE has the advantage in terms of coaching, height and experience. Mas "beterano" na mga players nila.

UE is always a tough match. Their bigs are versatile, can run the floor well and can hit the outside shots. If their bigs are on a roll, UE is unbeatable.

San Beda, on the other hand, is actually a small team. Ekwe is the only big man who can deliver. Taganas and Maggay are short at 6'3 and will be eaten alive by Espiritu, Borboran, Gregorio, Thiele, Llagas, etc. who are better players than the 2 Sam Ekwe relievers.

However, we beat UE the last time we met in the Fil-Oil summer tournament.

So, I'd say its 60 - 40 in favor of UE.

Dark Knight
08-30-2007, 10:46 AM
Didnt you notice, most UE players came from NCAA and other leagues?

Borboran - JRU
Martinez - San Beda
Lee - SSC
Fampulme - Lyceum

LION
08-30-2007, 10:52 AM

Borboran - JRU
Martinez - San Beda
Lee - SSC
Fampulme - Lyceum

Did Llagas come from SSC - Cavite?
Espiritu - JRU Heavy Bombers?
Gregorio - UM Hawks?

oca
08-30-2007, 11:08 AM
Taking into account all factors, isa lang ang questionable up to this point - si Frankie Lim. (Na naman? ;D)

If Frankie Lim will maintain the same confidence in using his bench as he done these past 4 to 5 games, this will be a close game. Pero lamang ng kaunti sa akin ang SBC dahil sa paniwala kong hindi kayang tapatan ng UE ang best 5 ng Red Lions.

But if Frankie reverts to keeping players on court for very long stretches, kakapusin ang Red Lions and UE will win.

Kung lalaruin ito mamaya, I will give UE the win outright, as Frankie is untested in "very big games". Remember this is his very first head coaching season. Take note, talunan siya sa first acid test niya vs Letran. That last game vs JRU was a very "emotional game", wala gaanong saysay ang diskarte duon.

But going up against UE is basketball in purest terms. Diskarte ng coaches at skills ng players and labanan.

Pero after the NCAA playoffs, we should expect Frankie to be a better coach, hence the Red Lions should be a better team.

Kailan ba ito lalaruin? * ;)

bigfreeze_bibby
08-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Did Llagas come from SSC - Cavite?*
Gregorio - UM Hawks?

Yup, Llagas came from SSC-Cavite.

redlion123
08-30-2007, 01:06 PM
60-40 ue..mas cohesive ang laro ng ue..mas may diskarte..

christian
08-30-2007, 03:25 PM
Ganda ng thread! Sakit sa ulo... saka na ako sasagot kapag nakuha ng SBC ang back to back, and UAAP para sa UE, para sure ;D

erichubert
08-30-2007, 04:19 PM
The only possible scenario that this match up would happen is in the Champion's League( if there is going to be one this year) and in that situation I think UE will win hands down. Somehow UE plays well without pressure that is why they always win the pre-UAAP and post-UAAP tournaments. Of course it remains to be seen this season if UE will finally be able to overcome the pressure and win the UAAP.

Also, I think UE has the advantage in coaching and bench depth. Dindo is better and much more experienced than Frankie Lim. But San Beda has the advantage in terms of the starting five and their championship poise. Although, overall, I still give the advantage to UE.

toti_mendiola
08-30-2007, 07:11 PM
UE, by the way they are playing in the UAAP. Masyadong deadly. wala ka ming panagot sa post up ni fampulme. pag nag click 3 points ni espiritu mapipilitang lumabas si ekwe at donut na kami sa gitna pag pumuwesto na si fampulme sa low post.

AnthonyServinio
08-30-2007, 09:01 PM

Borboran - JRU
Martinez - San Beda
Lee - SSC
Fampulme - Lyceum

Did Llagas come from SSC - Cavite?*
Gregorio - UM Hawks?

* * *I think their only current homegrown player of note from the UE Pages is guard Marcelino Arellano.

* * *Here is a rundown of where the Season 70 UE players came from to the best of my recollection:

Val Hezy ACUNA - ?
Marcelino ARELLANO - high school graduate, University of the East
Fhadzmir BANDAYING - transferee, Southern City Colleges
Mark Anthony BORBORAN - transferee, Jose Rizal University
Jorel CANIZARES - transferee, Saint Jude College-Manila
Elmer ESPIRITU - high school graduate, Jose Rizal University
Gino ETRONE - transferee, Ateneo de Davao University
Mark Earnest FAMPULME - transferee, Lyceum of the Philippines
Kelvin West GREGORIO - high school graduate, University of Manila
Paul John LEE - high school graduate, San Sebastian College-Recoletos
Rudy LINGGANAY - transferee, Southern City Colleges
Narciso LLAGAS - high school graduate, San Sebastian College-Cavite
James Vincent MARTINEZ - high school graduate, San Beda College-Manila
Raphael Carlo REYES - high school graduate, San Sebastian College-Recoletos
Hans Paul Franz THIELE - transferee, Philippine School of Business Administration-QC

flsfnoeraekadad
08-30-2007, 11:02 PM
Fampulme came from UE HS, I think.

erichubert
08-31-2007, 10:52 AM
Fampulme went to UE High School but attended Lyceum for college, after 4 years in Lyceum he returned to UE this year for his final year of eligibility. UE's strategy of forming their team is very clever, they get the best of other school's program and put them together making them deep and experienced each year.

Sam Miguel
08-31-2007, 06:05 PM
I believe the starting units of either team would cancel each other out.

This means we have to go to the bench, where UE has the advantage, not much but its there.

GREGORIO, BORBORAN, LLAGAS, ARELLANO and MARTINEZ are the usual starters for the Warriors. FAMPULME, THIELE, LEE, BANDAYING, CANIZARES, ESPIRITU, LINGGANAY normally come off the bench.

EKWE, ALJAMAL, ESCOBAL, MENOR usually start for the Red Lions, with either LANETE or GAMALINDA depending on how Frankie Lim sees the opposition. MARCELO, HERMIDA, TIRONA, MAGGAY usually come off the bench.

UE has had different players come out with great games in most of their games thus far. Who would have thought the role playing likes of Espiritu, Llagas, Thiele, Fampulme and Canizares could pull off star games?

San Beda however has been consistently led by its Big 3 of Ekwe, Aljamal and Escobal. Sure Lanete and Gamalinda have their stretches but for the most part it has been the superstar Red Lions who have carried the team.

We might also want to take a look at the quality of the opposition each team has faced. UE has been sorely tested by two teams not as talented but very well coached, Ateneo and NU, and they remain unscathed.

San Beda was mightily upset by Rey Guevarra and the Letran Knightsin the first round, but for the most part have run roughshod over the NCAA and re not seriously challenged by the opposition.

Given all of this, I'd say UE is it.

LION
02-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Last year I picked UE. This year, I'd say it's SBC.

Gone this year are Borboran, Gregorio and Fampulme.

SBC lost Aljamal but will be reinforced by 6'4 Elvin Pascual and 6'7- 6'8 Kevin Emeka. The holdovers like Pong Escobal, Ogie Menor, Shaq Taganas, Borgie Hermida, Bambam Gamalinda, Dave Marcelo and Garvo Lanete all got better after Season 83.

After a year of adjusting to Frankie's new coaching philosophy, the Red Lions are now familiar with Frankie's system.

This year, SBC will have the stronger starting five and the deeper bench. Of course, I am assuming that Pascual and Emeka will be in the lineup. :)

joelex
02-13-2008, 08:10 PM
sam ekwe? hold over or wala na?

Nike Air
02-13-2008, 08:19 PM
sam ekwe? hold over or wala na?

Nakalimutan lang yan ilagay ni LION. Holdover pa rin yan which makes San Beda's frontline more formidable. Malupit ika nga nila. I am not aware with NCAA's ruling regarding fielding of foreign students in the game. Kung puede silang pagsabayin sa laro e sa tingin ko tapos na ang boxing.

danny
02-14-2008, 02:57 AM
Kung walang bagong rule na susulpot. With the way things are being handled in the collegiate leagues, there are no surprises anymore. Always expect the unexpected.

oca
02-14-2008, 09:01 AM
No new rules needed. May naka-set nang limitations. What we can expect is an amendment or modification to an already existing rule.

Pwedeng magsabay ang dalawang foreign-students during the game. Take note, Perpetual would have on the floor their Koreans at the same time. Pero dahil hindi naman kagalingan itong dalawang ito, it doesn't merit any form of discussion.

Pero pag pinagsabay niyo ang isang Ekwe at Udo, palagay ko ay pag-uusapan na yan.

To get back on topic, I agree that SBC will be a better team than UE next collegiate season. Pero hwag nang ituloy ang usapan, dahil dapat ihambing ang dominant team ng NCAA sa dominant team ng UAAP. UE, imo, no longer holds that distinction.

LION
02-14-2008, 09:04 AM
So I move to close this thread. Panalo kami sa bandang huli. ;D

Dark Knight
02-14-2008, 09:56 AM
So I move to close this thread.* Panalo kami sa bandang huli.* * ;D

Ditto. Its obvious. San Beda won the title in the NCAA while UE..............well, we all know what happened. ;D