PDA

View Full Version : 2007 European Championships

gameface_one
08-29-2007, 07:35 AM
Germany look to refreshed Nowitzki at Euros

Agence France-Presse
Last updated 10:35am (Mla time) 08/28/2007

BERLIN -- Dirk Nowitzki, the best basketball player Germany has ever produced, has put his NBA playoffs nightmare behind him and is ready to spearhead his country's challenge in next month's European championships.

Nowitzki was named last season's NBA MVP -- the first European ever to win the award -- but was powerless to prevent his Dallas Mavericks from crashing out to the unfavored Golden State Warriors in the first round of the playoffs.

The 2.13-meter (7-foot) German admits the 4-2 slump to Golden State took the shine off his history-making individual achievement.

When it came to the crunch, his 19.7 points a game in the playoffs just could not save the misfiring Mavs and questions were raised over his leadership qualities.

"The playoffs defeat affected me deeply because I was just unable to prevent what happened," Nowitzki said in a recent interview with Germany's ZDF television.

“The only positive side was that it gave me a longer holiday than normal. I took two months off and just cut myself off from basketball, which did me a lot of good,” said Nowitzki.

"I began conditioning training about a month ago. The result is that I am stronger and fitter than at this time last season," he said.

Nowitzki arrived at last year's world championships in Japan under-prepared and, with their undisputed team leader misfiring, Germany could only finish eighth.

This year in contrast he has looked refreshed and sharp in warm-up games, with his perimeter shot as extraordinarily accurate as ever for such a big man.

Nowitzki looked ready for the Euros as he contributed 17 points to help Germany edge Russia 66-65 in Bamberg on Saturday, and scored 18 points in the 69-60 loss to Italy 24 hours later.

Two years ago, Nowitzki led Germany to a surprise European silver medal in Belgrade and was named the tournament's MVP into the bargain. He believes Germany can repeat that feat this year.

"We have a strong team. We showed that in 2005. Spain will be the favorites as the world champions, but otherwise it's wide open," he said.

The 29-year-old said he was excited at the thought of finishing in the qualifying places for the 2008 Beijing Olympics at the Europeans, especially as it could be his last chance to take part in sport's greatest event.

The man who has amassed million of dollars and become one of the Europeans who has changed the face of the NBA said he was looking forward to being just another competitor at the Beijing Olympics.

"I think mixing with other athletes from other sports at an Olympics is something every athlete dreams about," Nowitzki said.

In Spain, he will get scoring help from Ademola Okulaja, who hit 18 points against Russia, but without the starry Dallas roster around him, expectations will as always fall squarely on the broad shoulders of the man from Wurzburg in southern Germany.

Wang-Bu
08-29-2007, 09:05 AM
Bukod kay Dirk Nowitzki sino pa po bang mga NBA players ang sasali sa Euro?

Maglalaro pa kaya sina Marc Gasol ng Spain at ang Pranses na si Roni Tauriaf?

Howard the Duck
09-05-2007, 10:48 PM
go darko!!!!!!!!!! :p

bigfreeze_bibby
09-06-2007, 08:46 AM
The Croatians nipped Spain, 85-84 via Marko Tomas' three ball with 3.1 seconds left to give Croatia the upper hand in group B competition. Slovenia also beat France 67-66 to take group D leadership going to the next phase of the qualifiers. Tony Parker had the chance to send the game to OT with two charities but then he made only 1-of-2 to seal Slovenia's perfect record after the preliminary round.

The Germans lost to Lithuania, 84-80 behind Sarunas Jasikevicius' 15 points, 10 assists, and 4 rebounds effort.

Wang-Bu, Marc Gasol and Turiaf are playing for their own respective squads.

flsfnoeraekadad
09-06-2007, 08:55 AM
Go Dirk!!!

Howard the Duck
09-06-2007, 11:32 AM
tanggal na si darko :D

aircanda
09-06-2007, 06:30 PM
anong position ung linalaro ng kapatid ni pau? NBA caliber dn ba ang laro?

CM_Punk
09-13-2007, 12:37 PM
www.eurobasket2007.org

SCHEDULE OF QUARTERFINALS

13.09.2007- Russia vs. France, Spain vs. Germany
14.09.2007- Lithuania vs. Croatia, Slovenia vs. Greece

BTV will be showing these games on local cable TV. Go Spain!!

mighty_lion
09-13-2007, 03:45 PM

Mark Gasol - Centro laro nya. Pero malayo ang agwat ng laro nila ni Pau. Typical center, medyo mabagal at bulky ang katawan. Kasama sa sa recent NBA draft.

You can check some write-ups about him on the following link.

http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/marcgasol.html

CM_Punk
09-14-2007, 07:48 AM
Spain and Russia advance to the semi-finals, awaiting the results of tomorrow's games to determine their opponents. Team Spain has 7 players who are in the NBA or were recently drafted by NBA teams (Gasol brothers, Calderon, Garbajosa, Rodriguez, Navarro, Fernandez) .

CM_Punk
09-15-2007, 01:21 PM
Semi-finals:

Spain vs. Greece
Russia vs. Lithuania

Howard the Duck
09-15-2007, 02:46 PM
hanep humabol ang greece, parang UST-LS :P

aircanda
09-16-2007, 11:43 AM

Mark Gasol - Centro laro nya. Pero malayo ang agwat ng laro nila ni Pau. Typical center, medyo mabagal at bulky ang katawan. Kasama sa sa recent NBA draft.

You can check some write-ups about him on the following link.

http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/marcgasol.html

salamat sir mighty lion..

naglaro pa ren ba c greece yung malaking black guy na kumaen sa US team last year? senxa na ah.. la kc kame basketball tv eh.. :( .. stupid btv

CM_Punk
09-16-2007, 12:10 PM
What a game between Spain and Greece! Two teams who refused to give up, and the game was only decided in the last few seconds.

Gasol, Navarro, and Calderon led Spain to victory, and will now face Russia in the Finals.

john_paul_manahan
09-16-2007, 04:11 PM
i think that is sofo.

he is not included... di siya fit.

i would know since i love the LA Clippers. (he is a second round pick of theirs a few seasons ago)

Semenelin
09-16-2007, 11:32 PM
What a game between Spain and Greece! Two teams who refused to give up, and the game was only decided in the last few seconds.

Gasol, Navarro, and Calderon led Spain to victory, and will now face Russia in the Finals.

Schortsanitis
wla sya pati si alvertis. si alvertis ata matanda na hindi kasali.

gameface_one
09-17-2007, 08:28 AM
Russia crowned European basketball champions

Agence France-Presse
Last updated 07:15am (Mla time) 09/17/2007

MADRID -- Russia edged hosts Spain 60-59 in the final to become European basketball champions late here Sunday.

American JR Holden bagged Russia's first European title just two seconds from time against the world champions who were losing their fifth Euro final.

The two finalists sealed their tickets to next year's Olympic Games and Lithuania also ensured their presence in Beijing 2008 by landing the third place play-off against 2005 champions Greece 78-69.

But one European heavyweight noticeable by their absence in China is France, who missed out on the Olympics after losing 88-74 to Slovenia to trail in eighth.

"It's hard to start from zero," said NBA star Tony Parker.

Semenelin
09-17-2007, 08:38 AM
i wanna watch the replay. foul trouble daw si AK47 bandang una tapos gumawa pa rin. see, even the russians are using naturalized players...

CM_Punk
09-17-2007, 09:49 AM
Congrats to Russia for beating Spain. AK-47 named MVP of the tournament. Most of the big guns of Spain had bad games, with only Calderon showing up to play hard.

Howard the Duck
09-17-2007, 01:17 PM
ganda ng final! classic!

jayverns
09-17-2007, 09:25 PM
got this info from the FIBA website:

The following 12 teams are entitled to take part in the Olympic Tournament for Men in 2008:

2 teams directly qualified:

- The host nation: CHINA
- The Gold medalist of the 2006 FIBA World Championship: SPAIN

7 teams directly qualified through the Continental Championships:

- Africa (1 team): ANGOLA
- Americas (2 teams): USA and ARGENTINA
- Asia (1 team): IRAN
- Europe (2 teams): RUSSIA and LITHUANIA
- Oceanía (1 team): AUSTRALIA

3 teams qualified through the World Olympic Qualifying Tournament for Men:

The World Olympic Qualifying Tournament for Men will be played in mid-July 2008, in a place to be determined, and will decide the final three berths for Beijing 2008.

The best placed non-qualified teams for the Olympic Games from the five Zones will be entitled to participate in the World Olympic Qualifying Tournament for Men. It will be a 12-team tournament which will feature: two participants from Africa (Cameroon and Cape Verde), three from the Americas (Puerto Rico, Brazil and Canada), two from Asia (Lebanon and Korea), four from Europe (Greece, Germany, Croatia and Slovenia) and one from Oceania (New Zealand).

Should any of the above-mentioned qualified team(s) not accept the invitation, the next best non-qualified team(s) from the same Zone will be entitled to participate.