PDA

View Full Version : Those Who Could Have Been

MonL
03-22-2006, 07:30 PM
I would like to start a thread to remember these well-known basketball players who for some reason or another by force of circumstance or by choice have not lived up or realized their potential, and faded to obscurity. For those who made a choice, it goes to show that there may be life after basketball, but for those who by force of circumstance has not lived up to their hype or expectation, may their lives be a lesson for our aspiring players.

Jet Nieto, 6-1 - Now Doctor Nieto

Michael Facundo,6-4 - There's life after basketball, after all...took his MBA and became a suit.

Danny Francisco, 6-6 - you guys at the Ateneo can spin a better story about him.I leave it to you.

Stevenson Solomon, 6-4 - Muscular center for the San Sebastian Stags, wasnt able to play a game for the Stags in the NCAA, but part of the team that beat the Danny Francisco-led Eagles for the national title. Became no more than a marginal player or trade bait in the PBA bacause of career ending eye injuries which made him partially blind.

Edgardo Carvajal, 6-6 Key player of Jose Rizal's last NCAA Champion team in 1972 along with Philip Cezar... A head injury necessitated a brain operation which rendered him incapacitated and he became a vegetable for the rest of his life.

Bonifacio de Jesus, 6-8 - Member of that great 1978 RP Youth team which featured JVYango, Joel Banal, Chito Loyzaga, Gary Vargas, etc. Never made the pros, and died mysteriously in the 1980s.

John Copada, 6-5 Reed-thin San Beda Red Cub, was on the 1982 edition of the RP Youth Team coached by Ron Jacobs. The starting center slot was his but left the team before the tournament began, and Lasalle's Tonichi Yturri took his place. Never been heard from ever since.

Raul Dillo, 7-2 - Tallest ever native Filipino player, was slow afoot and never really developed and became more of a circus act. Went to try out at different colleges, among them San Beda and UE in the 1990s, but has faded into oblivion and* last seen in a TV Patrol segment as having married a very tall woman and living a quiet life...

admuhs_upengg
03-22-2006, 08:31 PM

Michael Facundo,6-4 - There's life after basketball, after all...took his MBA and became a suit.

Good thread.

I think Jet Nieto even had a year of eligibility left but decided to enter med school instead.

Mike Facundo was in the Honors class from GS to HS and got his MBA at Harvard. Basketball to him was a hobby.

Cardel and Quilban.
Jun Reyes
Eddie Laure

bchoter
03-22-2006, 09:14 PM
Speaking of Gary Vargas. I thought the goggled flyer with the "pang-poster" jumpshot left the game a little too early. Some say he had a drug habit that forced him to leave the league prematurely.

To add to the list, the career-ending injuries Mike Bilbao suffered from a vehicular accident robbed him of 5-6 more productive years in the pros. Makes you also wonder how far fellow Green Archer great Lim Eng Beng would have gone in his career if not for injuries.

And how about William Pearson? A few years after Crispa's break up nothing have been heard from him since.

freak
03-23-2006, 12:59 AM
Good thread.*

I think Jet Nieto even had a year of eligibility left but decided to enter med school instead.

Mike Facundo was in the Honors class from GS to HS and got his MBA at Harvard.* Basketball to him was a hobby.

Cardel and Quilban.*
Jun Reyes
Eddie Laure

Eddie Laure is back in the PBA, he's currently with Alaska. ;)

cricohermoso
03-23-2006, 05:32 AM
Mike Hrabak?

Wesley Gonzales - soon to be "those who could have been"; seldomly used by SMB.

Nestor Echano - Anthony, whatever happened to Nestor? Diba he was with the Metrostars in 1998? And was he a UAAP MVP in 1992?

Rainier Sison - if he ended up in a team that can really utilize his skills. he came out in FedEx under Joe Lipa but was waived when coach Joe resigned.

Vince Hizon - if he didn't move to the MBA, he could have probably reached greater heights in the PBA

Richie Ticzon?

Oh yeah, Johndel Cardel blossomed with the Negros Slashers. I remember this guy cried his heart out when the Negros Slashers lost DJ de Jarlo.

Quilban - this guy held the PBA record for most assists in a game (28, i believe)

Biboy Simon - never blossomed in the PBA, despite the MBA record holder for most points in a game (52, against the Metrostars)

Gherome Ejercito and Omanzie Rodriguez - I think they're rotting at the Red Bull bench

Oh, I remember Dondon Hontiveros back with Tanduay in 2000. Alfancis Chua would only make him play during the garbage minutes of the ballgame. Good thing he was traded to San Miguel

lots of MBA guys? hmm.

admuhs_upengg
03-23-2006, 07:02 AM
Eddie Laure is back in the PBA, he's currently with Alaska. ;)

My point exactly, he's fallen so far off the radar, I didn't even know he was back in the PBA and I even watched the Alaska vs Coca Cola game at the Araneta. ;)

professor
03-23-2006, 08:03 AM
During the basketball show last night featuring the Red Bull lucky with Blue Eagles segment. In the practices they had while Coach Yeng was being interviewed, the prectice players seems to have Hrabak in the background. Can anyone confirm this?

freak
03-23-2006, 09:24 AM
Oh yeah, Johndel Cardel blossomed with the Negros Slashers. I remember this guy cried his heart out when the Negros Slashers lost DJ de Jarlo.

Quilban - this guy held the PBA record for most assists in a game (28, i believe)

Biboy Simon - never blossomed in the PBA, despite the MBA record holder for most points in a game (52, against the Metrostars)

Gherome Ejercito and Omanzie Rodriguez - I think they're rotting at the Red Bull bench

Oh, I remember Dondon Hontiveros back with Tanduay in 2000. Alfancis Chua would only make him play during the garbage minutes of the ballgame. Good thing he was traded to San Miguel

lots of MBA guys? hmm.

a lot of players who initially played in the MBA became one season wonders in the PBA..

a good example is Biboy Simon, he was the MBA's top scorer, he would almost always be the highest pointer in every game he played but when he tried to barge into the PBA, he was a marked man and he never got over the defense thrown at him.

though there are still ex MBA players still playing well in the PBA (Hontiveros, Ferriols, etc) the majority of the guys were either released/waived by teams after their first few seasons in the league.

Kid Cubao
03-23-2006, 09:52 AM
biboy simon was already way past his athletic prime when he finally entered the PBA. he must have been at least 32 years old when he debuted for fedex.

eugene quilban never corrected his wayward ways and was cut from sta lucia, his last PBA team, many years back. he was a gambler and womanizer, and i won't be surprised if he spent all his career earnings on booze. his last known address was in the cubao area.

mike hrabak continues to nurse an injury and was deactivated from the purefoods roster. there's no telling when he'll be back.

nestor echano is now the US. ditto gary vargas. willie pearson is considered a fugitive under philippine laws after he was served an arrest warrant for tax evasion. he is also in the states, reportedly in hawaii.

boni de jesus died in his sleep way back in the 80s. i remember a classmate clipping the news of his death and tacking it on the corkboard in our classroom.

bong solomon is now working as a concierge at a large hotel in dubai or someplace in the middle east. by the way, yves dignadice now works as a porter at the san francisco int'l airport.

never heard of what happened to john copada, though. he left the 1982 RP youth roster reportedly because of persistent migraine attacks.

Kid Cubao
03-23-2006, 10:04 AM
about danny francisco, he prematurely retired from the game after he was diagnosed with marfan syndrome, a congenital disorder that could turn fatal if he continued to pursue his very promising athletic career. read about the condition here: http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4672]

paralusi
03-23-2006, 10:41 AM
1990 pba draft top overall pick apet jao.

bchoter
03-23-2006, 11:03 AM
1990 pba draft top overall pick apet jao.
What if he landed on another team where a certain Allan Caidic will not be playing ahead of him?

MonL
03-23-2006, 05:32 PM
These players appeared as a blip on the amateur scene, and then faded out. Unfulfilled promise.

Eddie Viaplana, 6-2, F - Supposed to be the next Chip Engelland. Did have a sweet shot, though.
Bubong Lacson, 6-9 C. Big man skills weren't developed, and he remained glued to the bench on those deep Archer teams in the 80s.
Joseph Connolly. 6-5, C - Contemporary of Watson, et al in the mid-70s, big, bulky but slow.

Kid Cubao
03-24-2006, 07:46 AM
bubong lacson is now with PAL. needless to say he's their tallest employee :D

joseph connolly had a child with senator enrile's daughter katrina. he is now based in guam.

true.blue
03-24-2006, 03:02 PM
Baby Boy Morales - 6'0 star forward of the 69 champion Ateneo team with Arnaiz, Cleofas, Samson, Palou, Afable. Quick release, runnning jumpers. Got kicked out the next year, but recovered and rejoined the Blue Eagles to become a one-man wrecking crew. His legs were cut from under him by a Letranite on a fastbreak layup, hurt his knee and was out for a while. Made a come back in the MICAA under Meralco and 7-Up, but the knee injury prevented him from reaching his true potential. Sayang wala pang ACL technology nuon.

Gerry Versoza - Baby Dalupan's crack point guard of champion 75-76 Ateneo team. Never applied for the pros, went to the States instead to pursue a law career I believe in NY.

Francis Arnaiz - could have had a longer backcourt partnership with Sonny Jaworski at Toyota/Ginebra if not for a failed marriage and a drug problem that made him quit and migrate to the US. Now works for the State of California.

What about the Guzman brothers of San Beda and the Pineda brothers of Letran. Whatever happened to them.

salsa caballero
03-24-2006, 03:52 PM
I also wonder what happened to the heady Presto point guard, Rafael "Cho" Sison. After that ACL(?) injury, it seems he faded into oblivion.

pio_valenz
03-24-2006, 04:16 PM
Yup, Cho Sison: 1981 PBA Rookie of the Year. That ACL injury of his, I think, didn't heal properly simply because not much was known about the injury at the time. He did make it back to the Great Taste line-up in 1986, but he was damaged goods and was hardly used.

Para sa akin, ang pinakasayang na high school start was Tonton Abad of Adamson, '92 UAAP juniors MVP who had so many moves and could shoot the lights out on any given night. Sayang, binangko ni Virgil sa La Salle as a way of getting back at the kid for defeating his Blue Eaglets in the juniors finals. After that, nakabuntis daw and he was forced to support a family.

Yun ang talagang "what could have been."

admuhs_upengg
03-24-2006, 09:21 PM
Arnel Manosca of the Blue Eaglets and later on La Salle Green Archers. He was a little on the short side but he had the Big J's barrelling layup. Too bad knee injuries cut short his career.

Jaco D
03-25-2006, 07:31 AM
What about the Guzman brothers of San Beda....

The Guzman twins eventually played for Galerie Dominique and Great Taste.* I think in between their Red Lion days and their stint at the pros, they donned the country's colors for one or two international tournaments (Jones Cup?* Can't remember).* The reason why this sticks to my head is that while campaigning overseas the motorhead twins entrusted their badass colt galant to their nephew and we had a blast just having that puppy go balls-out down a traffic-free EDSA during the day.

As expected, while still playing at the pro level, the twins ran a speed shop that catered to PBA denizens, among others.* That "talyer" was where one could find the likes of Fil Gulfin when he first got bitten by the crankhead bug, and a new-to-our-shores Norman Black who had a clean looking Galant (can't remember again).* The twins eventually had a short, non-basketball related stint somewhere in the middle east, and last I heard are back in Inang 'Pinas.

A kid brother of theirs played briefly for the Eagles during the Jolas/Chot Reyes era.* He then moved to USTe to take up pre-med.* He should be a doctor by now.

ESCALERA JR.
03-25-2006, 10:27 PM
The Pineda brothers of Letran of the early 70's, Ricky, was able to play for the Utex Wranglers during the maiden years of the PBA. He died in a road accident a few years back. His brother Molet became a varsity coach for Letran during the mid 90's.

For the Guzman twins of San Beda, former bedans would be in a better position to discuss on their whereabouts altho i read somewhere that one of them still plays hoops in their alumni league.

ESCALERA JR.
03-25-2006, 10:48 PM
Just like Biboy Simon, another player with a "streak shooters" hands was Federico Lauchengco. Another example of a good player that overstayed as an amateur then went up the pro league at a time when his capabilities are already on the downtrend. Sayang, he can really shoot the lights out specially on a good night.

If things don't turn out well again this year, this same predicament will happen to Alex Compton. I hope he makes it this time in the PBA. Para siyang Mangga na sobrahan sa hinog, nalambog na tuloy at di na makain. TSK tsk tsk, sayang naman talaga.

bchoter
03-27-2006, 02:10 PM
Just like Biboy Simon, another player with a "streak shooters" hands was Federico Lauchengco.* Another example of a good player that overstayed as an amateur then went up the pro league at a time when his capabilities are already on the* downtrend. Sayang, he can really shoot the lights out specially on a good night.

If things don't turn out well again this year, this same predicament will happen to Alex Compton. I hope he makes it this time in the PBA. Para siyang Mangga na sobrahan sa hinog, nalambog na tuloy at di na makain. TSK tsk tsk, sayang naman talaga.
Before the SMB franchise took a leave of absence, Botchok Lauchenco, he with the sir Galahad 'do, teamed with Marte Saldana in the SMB backcourt and proved a tough pair against any backcourt.

MonL
03-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Just like Biboy Simon, another player with a "streak shooters" hands was Federico Lauchengco.* Another example of a good player that overstayed as an amateur then went up the pro league at a time when his capabilities are already on the* downtrend. Sayang, he can really shoot the lights out specially on a good night.

Before the SMB franchise* took a leave of absence, Botchok Lauchenco, he with the sir Galahad 'do, teamed with Marte Saldana in the SMB backcourt and proved a tough pair against any backcourt.

Marte Saldaña once shot 58 points in a MICAA game.... Another streaky shooter who like Lauchenco was past his prime when he entered the PBA was Ramon Cruz, who I believe was also on those APCOR teams that dominated the MICAA then...

bchoter
03-27-2006, 02:28 PM
How about Rudy Soriano? He and Danny Florencio were ahead of their time with their gravity-defying acts

bchoter
03-27-2006, 02:29 PM

Before the SMB franchise* took a leave of absence, Botchok Lauchenco, he with the sir Galahad 'do, teamed with Marte Saldana in the SMB backcourt and proved a tough pair against any backcourt.

Marte Saldaña once shot 58 points in a MICAA game.... Another streaky shooter who like Lauchenco was past his prime when he entered the PBA was Ramon Cruz, who I believe was also on those APCOR teams that dominated the MICAA then...
hw as so "past his prime" that his hairline was visibly receding :D

MonL
03-27-2006, 02:31 PM
Speaking of Mon Cruz, he was a member of that Philippine team to the World Basketball Championships held in Manila in 1978. Our tallest players on that team were 6-3 beanpoles Padim Israel and Leopoldo Herrera, who simply were overpowered by 6-11 Yugoslavian frontline players and that 7-3 barrel-chested man-mountain Russian center, Vladimir Tkatchenko….

MonL
03-29-2006, 05:44 PM
To make a short detour to the international scene, there were several players who became visible for a short time just by being tall. Japan had 7-8 Yasutaka Okayama, North Korea had NBA hopeful 7-7 Ri-Myung-hun, and the US had 7-8 George "Sky" Bell..

We had a glimpse of Okayama here years ago, when the Japanese national team played some exhibition games against the Northern Cement/RP Training Team of Danding Cojuanco. He was heavyset and very slow, though he tried out for the Golden State Warriors later...was Don Neslon coach of the Warriors then? That would explain it...eccentric kasi si Nelson.* In the Asian Games, coach Jaworski matched up Chito Loyzaga against Ri. I think Chito won sa tulakan..... ;D* Bell was featured once by Quinito Henson, having played for the Harlem Globetrotters' patsy opponent team, if my memory serves me right.....

esjay
03-30-2006, 10:44 PM
TOP COLLEGIATE PLAYERS with high hopes eventually became a disappointment in professional leagues

ive seen Tanigue playing in barangays, here in Malabon, a top point of the stags ended up playing where he once started. The expectations were so High, but evenrually didnt do good enough,

Mariquit, once a part of the caidic ladden team became a councilor
mon jose - lasalles flashy pointguard, coke scouts

add more

Kid Cubao
03-31-2006, 09:12 AM
mod, paki-merge na lang nitong thread with the "those who could have been" thread earlier created by monL. thanks :)

salsa caballero
03-31-2006, 11:13 AM
Funny how those names bring back memories...

Marte Saldana (no relation to Terry, I suppose) was a member of the RP Youth team that went to Brazil in 1979, I believe. While we got our undersized butts kicked sideways by the competition, Marte's 5-9 worth of grit and spunk as a point guard was such that he got offered a spot on one of the Brazilian teams -- Palmeiras or Corinthians ?-- something like that. Well, I guess the guy was too timid to leave the Pinoy comfort zone, so he opted to stay put. (Unlike Larry Mumar who once shot the lights out in the Indian league.)

In the 90's, when DLSU played a couple of exhibition games in the US West Coast, even Jun Limpot and Adi Papa (son of outside shooting legend Jun Papa) raised some eyebrows. San Diego State even made overtures to Limpot, but the latter reportedly did not relish the Aztecs' plan to convert him into a guard. Dunno' if Papa received an offer to play as well. We all know that another DLSU alum in the person of Ren Ren Ritualo also turned down an offer from overseas -- $10,000 plus board and lodging to play in the UAE. We should all be so lucky...

On the '78 World's held here at Manila, I remember the Brazilian team as being impressive as well. Marcel "I-prefer-Brazilian-girls-but-ummm-some-Filipina-girls-are-nice" De Souza was a 19-year old phenom who hit a last second shot to win a game. Oscar Schmidt was, of course, shooting the lights out. The Yugos led by Drazen Dalipagic and Dragan Kikanovic were of course, the best of the lot. The USA was subject of some controversy when they almost suited up a player who played pro ball, "Open Basketball" being unheard of back then. For the foreign teams though, what they took home a lot of was Magnolia Ice Cream! Interestingly, PBA-squad Toyota and Yugoslavia palyed a well-fought exhibition. Can't remember if import-laced Toyota, (the late Bruce "Sky" King and probably Andy Fields), got the win though.

Regarding the giants of the era, anyone here remember the lumbering 7-4 Mu Teh Chu of China, Yao Ming's tree trunk predecessor? The guy looked like he had the medical condition known as acromegaly. Tkachenko looked like ha had it too...How about the 7-2 Indian Sunil Panda? Or the 7-6 Argentine Roldan?

MonL
03-31-2006, 12:02 PM
Funny how those names bring back memories...

Marte Saldana (no relation to Terry, I suppose) was a member of the RP Youth team that went to Brazil in 1979, I believe. While we got our undersized butts kicked sideways by the competition, Marte's 5-9 worth of grit and spunk as a point guard was such that he got offered a spot on one of the Brazilian teams -- Palmeiras or Corinthians ?-- something like that. Well, I guess the guy was too timid to leave the Pinoy comfort zone, so he opted to stay put. (Unlike Larry Mumar who once shot the lights out in the Indian league.)

In the 90's, when DLSU played a couple of exhibition games in the US West Coast, even Jun Limpot and Adi Papa (son of outside shooting legend Jun Papa) raised some eyebrows. San Diego State even made overtures to Limpot, but the latter reportedly did not relish the Aztecs' plan to convert him into a guard. Dunno' if Papa received an offer to play as well. We all know that another DLSU alum in the person of Ren Ren Ritualo also turned down an offer from overseas -- $10,000 plus board and lodging to play in the UAE. We should all be so lucky...

On the '78 World's held here at Manila, I remember the Brazilian team as being impressive as well. Marcel "I-prefer-Brazilian-girls-but-ummm-some-Filipina-girls-are-nice" De Souza was a 19-year old phenom who hit a last second shot to win a game. Oscar Schmidt was, of course, shooting the lights out. The Yugos led by Drazen Dalipagic and Dragan Kikanovic were of course, the best of the lot. The USA was subject of some controversy when they almost suited up a player who played pro ball, "Open Basketball" being unheard of back then. For the foreign teams though, what they took home a lot of was Magnolia Ice Cream! Interestingly, PBA-squad Toyota and Yugoslavia palyed a well-fought exhibition. Can't remember if import-laced Toyota, (the late Bruce "Sky" King and probably Andy Fields), got the win though.

Regarding the giants of the era, anyone here remember the lumbering 7-4 Mu Teh Chu of China, Yao Ming's tree trunk predecessor? The guy looked like he had the medical condition known as acromegaly. Tkachenko looked like ha had it too...How about the 7-2 Indian Sunil Panda? Or the 7-6 Argentine Roldan?

Marcel De Souza at si Milton "Carioca" Setrini unang nakilala ng madlang Pinoy nung bumisita ang Brazilian club na Palmeiras. May dala silang import na sinulot ng Crispa, si Cyrus Mann....Si Oscar Schmidt ay itinuring na the Best Foreign player never to have played in the NBA. Bakit pa? Superstar na siya, mataas at tax-free pa sinusuweldo niya noon.... Sa 78 worlds, battle for third place ang laban ng Brazil vs. Italy, who was led by legendary Dino Meneghin. Halos patayin ng koponang Italiano yung referee nang i-count niya yung tira ni De Souza, buti kumaripas ng takbo.... ;D

Were you talking about Marvin Delph? Nasama siya noon sa isang Sports Illustrared feature tungkol sa up and coming collegiate stars. He was in good company, kasama niya ay isang puting manlalaro na ang pangalan lang ay Larry Bird. Isa pang Player sa US team noon ay si Ralph Drollinger, 7-2, na naglaro sa Athletes in Mission. Did spot duty sa Dallas Mavericks nung unang mga taon nila...

Si Mu, natatawa ako sa pag"takbo" niya, ang liit ng kaniyang takbo, parang nakasuot ng bakal na sapatos na nagpapaliit ng paa....Di ko tiyak kung siya o si Okayama ang nabiktima ni Itoy Esguerra ng isang matinding sahod.... hinabol yata si Itoy sa isang laro noon...

Naalala ko yung laro ng Toyota noon, ang import nila ay si Carlos Terry, yung first PBA import na naglaro later on sa NBA, sa Washington Bullets....panalo Toyota noon...may diskusyon noon na dapat Toyota at ang Pilipinas ang "de facto" world champs dahil dito.... :D

Naalala ninyo si "Ric-ric" Marata nang siya'y pumunta overseas to play in a semiopro league sa isang koponan na nangangalang Vancouver Nighthawks?....

Or the 7-6 Argentine Roldan?
Sino ba yung lumabas sa WWF wrestling na si "Giant Gonzales" na matangkad na may suot na costume ng maskuladong balbuning tao? :D Siya ba ito?

bchoter
03-31-2006, 12:13 PM
Is this the same tournament where Arnie Tuadles had an incident with a foreign player? (Brazilian?) I think it was Terry Saldaña's rookie year. And speaking of Terry, he should also be included in the list of "could have beens" as his career was disrupted by an injury (the horrible incident was clearly shown on TV). He was never the same after the injury.

salsa caballero
03-31-2006, 03:53 PM
Tama! Si Terry nga yun...Lupit rin nun sa ilalim. Naalala ko dat nang masire ang jersey kiya sa isang game.

Sam Miguel
03-31-2006, 05:58 PM
Speaking of Terry Saldana, he had a teammate on that Ginebra team named Crescencio "Dondon" Ampalayo (what is it with Cebuanos and the nickname 'Dondon'?) Whatever happened to him? He was a Rookie of the Year and a double-double mainstay for Ginebra and then he just disappeared after a series of injuries (ACL?) and sicknesses (Hepatitis?). My fondest memories of him were those incredible, indefensible dance steps-disguised-as- spin moves and those unblockable floating finger rolls over bigger players. And if I recall correctly, he is the only player to have completely memorized the banking angles of the backboards in the old ULTRA.

bchoter
03-31-2006, 06:05 PM
Speaking of Terry Saldana, he had a teammate on that Ginebra team named Crescencio "Dondon" Ampalayo (what is it with Cebuanos and the nickname 'Dondon'?) Whatever happened to him? He was a Rookie of the Year and a double-double mainstay for Ginebra and then he just disappeared after a series of injuries (ACL?) and sicknesses (Hepatitis?). My fondest memories of him were those incredible, indefensible dance steps-disguised-as- spin moves and those unblockable floating finger rolls over bigger players. And if I recall correctly, he is the only player to have completely memorized the banking angles of the backboards in the old ULTRA.
He also had the three pointer in his arsenal. He is one player who steadily expanded his game from a low post operator he became a slasher and a shooter.

MonL
03-31-2006, 06:20 PM
Talk about role players who were fan favorites...how about Ed Ducut and Rolly Buhay?

gameface_one
03-31-2006, 06:32 PM
Terry Saldana was the plastic man during the early 80's. He was unstoppable down low. Only one player was able to handcuff him effectively - Padim Israel. Was Saldana the first PBA player who came straight from High School?

Terry's protege was Ampalayo. After Terry got injured, Ampalayo stepped up and became the main scoring option of Ginebra. He was still picked up by Alaska in the early 90s but suddenly went to oblivion.

Ed Ducut - 6'5 Ginebra Center was the Team's #1 defender for Abet Guidaben. Nasisira ang laro ni Abet pag si Ducut na ang nakagwardya sa kanya. Of course, katulong din ni Ducut ang taunting ng Ginebra corwd on abet.

Speaking of crowd taunts, I just can't forget one game when San Miguel went up against Ginebra and Ricky Brown was still playing for the Beermen. One Ginebra fan from the Bleachers' section suddenly shouted, "BROWN GO BACK TO AMERICA. YOU ARE IMPERIALISM!" :D

bchoter
03-31-2006, 06:37 PM
Ed Ducut and Roli Buhay had the misfortune of playing behind Mon Fernandez. But as far as potentials, I think theirs were largely based on their height, atlhough Ducut was a little ahead in the athleticism department.

MonL
03-31-2006, 06:40 PM
Ed Ducut - 6'5 Ginebra Center was the Team's #1 defender for Abet Guidaben. Nasisira ang laro ni Abet pag si Ducut na ang nakagwardya sa kanya. Of course, katulong din ni Ducut ang taunting ng Ginebra corwd on abet.

And Abet's hairtrigger temper didn't help.... There were two things for which Camiguin Island is known for...its active volcanoes and Abet Guidaben.... :D

bchoter
03-31-2006, 06:41 PM
^ As volatile as the volcanoes in Camiguin :D

LION
03-31-2006, 06:59 PM
^ Crispa vs. Toyota game. Mon Fernandez posting Abet Guidaben. Fernandez dribbling the ball, drives to the basket with his patented elegant shot. Guidaben skies for a block shot. Sapul and mukha ni Fernandez. Bali ang ilong.

gameface_one
03-31-2006, 07:06 PM
^ Crispa vs. Toyota game. Mon Fernandez posting Abet Guidaben. Fernandez dribbling the ball, drives to the basket with his patented elegant shot. Guidaben skies for a block shot. Sapul and mukha ni Fernandez. Bali ang ilong.

GInebra vs. San Miguel game. After being blocked by Ducut from the previous play, Guidaben posts against Ducut who converts a medium jump shot right in his face. Crowd taunts Guidaben, "BOBO! PIKON!" Visibly irked by the Ginebra crowd, Guidaben inbounds the ball and passes it to the referee....outside tuloy. Violation....ball back to Ginebra. Guidaben was relieved by a disgusted Norman Black. Ducut was all smiles. :D

bchoter
03-31-2006, 07:08 PM
^ I bet he can't beat Jawo's flair for the dramatics. He gets hit on the face that blodies his mouth and required stitches (yata). Comes back (to the crowd's Ja-Wors-Ki chant). Pretends to ignore the injury but actually plays up for effects. Ginebra wins the game. Jawo is talk of the baranggay, err, town.

gameface_one
03-31-2006, 07:10 PM
^^^ That was a game against NCC if I'm not mistaken. He was elbowed by Jeff Moore on the face.

bchoter
03-31-2006, 07:13 PM
Another Ginebra game against a team I can't recall. Opposing team loses ball control due to Ducut's defense. Ducut rushes up court. Jawo throws a long pass to the streaking and all alone Ed Ducut who cathes the ball with ease at the three-point area. Drives hard to the hoop and makes the basket. But he basket didn't count. Ducut is livid. Replay shows he forgot to dribble after receiving the pass (at the 3-point area). Travelling! :D

bchoter
03-31-2006, 07:19 PM
Another Ginebra game against a team I can't recall. Opposing team loses ball control due to Ducut's defense. Ducut rushes up court. Jawo throws a long pass to the streaking and all alone Ed Ducut who cathes the ball with ease at the three-point area. Drives hard to the hoop and makes the basket. But he basket didn't count. Ducut is livid. Replay shows he forgot to dribble after receiving the pass (at the 3-point area). Travelling! :D
Speaking of Jeff Moore. He could be listed among the could have beens although he didn't have a drop of Pinoy blood in his veins. If Macoy was still president then I'm sure he would have been allowed to play in the pros as a local. But there was this incident when he was almost rendered 'could have been' by a Jawo tackle. I coudn't remember the exact sequence but the high flyer that he is, let Jawo stand beside him and that's a recipe for a disaster. Jawo did his usual tackle at hte height of Moore's jump and the later hit the floor flat on his back and with a rseounding thud. Good thing Moore was made of sterner stuff as he just shrugged it off and walked away. But it must have scared the hell out of him as he missed the free throws that came with the foul.

LION
03-31-2006, 07:21 PM
"Replay shows he forgot to dribble after receiving the pass..."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

^ namputsa ang layu ng tinakbo nun a! :)

bchoter
03-31-2006, 07:24 PM
^ May stutter steps pa pantantya :D

LION
03-31-2006, 07:27 PM
^ Ha ha ha! That's a nice one bchoter.

bchoter
03-31-2006, 07:30 PM
With matching raising of the index finger and pointing it towards his coach to acknowledge the great pass and feel good about himself :D

MonL
03-31-2006, 09:21 PM
Remember Carlson Malandi/Samlani? He played for Magnolia and his most memorable PBA game was his defensive rebound and follow up shot. ?!?* ??? To explain, he collared a defensive rebound, but he was guarded when he was about to make a pass, lost his sense of direction and shot the ball at the* wrong basket.....All Norman Black could do was keep him in the game...Give Black points for saving a cager's career.

ESCALERA JR.
03-31-2006, 10:35 PM
The elder Cabatu (forgot his first name) should have been a great player what with his height and heft and a matching "tuchang." The problem was his shooting percentage in the free throw line was horrendous. There was one game where he could have been a hero if only he converted the free throws, one shot to tie the game, or a winiinig game if he made both.

As usual, he missed both charities, thus also missing his rare chance of becoming a hero even just once. What made the incident even funnier, he was caught by the camera swearing P**** @#*

Buti na lang hindi nagmana sa kanya anak niyang si Jun-Jun,, tumitira sa tres, pasok pa, not counted nga lang during one game sa Lasalle heheheh!!!

admuhs_upengg
04-01-2006, 12:56 AM
All this talk about the past really makes me miss the old PBA. There's a channel that shows Classic NBA games, maybe they can buy up the rights to old videos of the PBA and the national teams (1973 ABC, especially) and have a Classic PBA games show. Calling Solar Sports :)

AnthonyServinio
04-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Remember Carlson Malandi/Samlani? He played for Magnolia and his most memorable PBA game was his defensive rebound and follow up shot. ?!?* ??? To explain, he collared a defensive rebound, but he was guarded when he was about to make a pass, lost his sense of direction and shot the ball at the* wrong basket.....All Norman Black could do was keep him in the game...Give Black points for saving a cager's career.
Who was his defender? No less than the immortal Ramon Ferandez, who claims to have trash talked him by saying "Sige itira mo!" while giving him a tight defense. Samlani obliged, as Fernandez eased his defense as Samlani attempted the shot! :D

freak
04-03-2006, 06:47 AM
The elder Cabatu (forgot his first name) should have been a great player what with his height and heft and a matching "tuchang."

This should be Sonny Cabatu, long time Ginebra-Anejo Rum Warrior for Jawo. ;)
He's also famous for his "baloktot" free throw aside from missing them. ;D ;D ;D

Agent 008
04-03-2006, 09:57 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Sonny Cabatu was a 3-time MVP sa PBL. Nasira lang talaga siya sa PBA dahil naging target siya ng heckling ng mga fans. Naaawa nga ako parati pag nagfi-free throw siya. He was not one of the sharpest knives in the cupboard but at least full-blooded pinoy siya.

bchoter
04-03-2006, 11:05 AM
I do remember this game. This sould rank among the funniest sports sequence ever :D

bchoter
04-03-2006, 11:06 AM
Sonny Cabatu's rookie year with Shell was pretty ok. I guess those were his best years in the PBA.

salsa caballero
04-03-2006, 06:37 PM
^ One thing's for sure, his son is going to have a more storied PBA career. Sorta' like how Ren-Ren's is more eventful than his dad's...I suppose it's really only Congressman Dodot who goes against the grain :P

Joescoundrel
04-03-2006, 10:58 PM
^ One thing's for sure, his son is going to have a more storied PBA career. Sorta' like how Ren-Ren's is more eventful than his dad's...I suppose it's really only Congressman Dodot who goes against the grain* :P

'Di bale Partner, at least misis naman niya si Demetria Mikaela De Los Santos Cojuangco...

chocoks77
04-04-2006, 10:15 AM
Anong nangyari kay Arnold Padaong, Eddie Laure at kay Estong Ballesteros? Sila naaalala kong malakas sa UAAP tapos nawala sa PBA.

redlion123
04-04-2006, 01:18 PM
san beda hs "could have been"

dennis ramirez-what happened to this guy? he left after the 89 nc season..
ralph rivera-injuries
jenkins mesina-sayang he should finished his playing years for san beda
tyrone bautista
dexter racho
aron manalang-6'5 center panahon nila ralph ata..not sure

Kid Cubao
04-04-2006, 01:39 PM
eddie laure is now a reserve player for alaska. estong ballesteros last played for coca-cola. arnold padaong continues to ply the "surot" circuit in pasay and manila.

shyboy
04-04-2006, 06:24 PM
Estong Ballesteros was one of several local cagers who played as imports in the Indonesian Basketball league just this year.

Agent 008
04-06-2006, 06:46 PM
I mentioned these names in another thread but medyo mas bagay sila dito.

Balingit and Feihl...nuff said.

MonL
04-07-2006, 07:43 AM
I mentioned these names in another thread but medyo mas bagay sila dito.

Balingit and Feihl...nuff said.

Sports writers tried to rattle Balingit's cage by quoting then draftee EJ as saying that he is much better than Bonel, kaya lang the expected fireworks between the two turned into a fizzle.... phooey. :P And what's this about demanding playing time instead of earning it?

Kid Cubao
04-07-2006, 07:55 AM
i never really considered ej feihl and bonel balingit as basketball players. to me they're just tall, big people asked to play basketball simply because they're tall and big. i'm not saying though that it's a bad thing, it's just that we have yet to uncover skilled basketball players who are 6'9 and above. for me the best pinoy basketball player who happens to be tall is still 6'6 danny francisco. sayang talaga.

Agent 008
04-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Talk about another "who could've been" who is 6'9"...(I'm sure you already know who this birdie is :D)

He could've been one of greatest centers of the country in the mold of a Fernandez. He's got the sense and skills. Too bad he doesn't have the heart.

AnthonyServinio
04-07-2006, 10:29 AM
Talk about another "who could've been" who is 6'9"...(I'm sure you already know who this birdie is* :D)

He could've been one of greatest centers of the country in the mold of a Fernandez. He's got the sense and skills. Too bad he doesn't have the heart.
Uhhm . . . is that player Vincent San Diego, formerly of DLSU? He is 6'9". Perhaps another 6'9" guy from La Salle, albeit from an earlier era, Raymond Lacson?

Agent 008
04-07-2006, 10:42 AM
Nice try, Anthony, but maybe you can try asking another nice blue birdie (not an eagle) about this "what could've been" hall of fame material player ;D

bchoter
04-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Talk about another "who could've been" who is 6'9"...(I'm sure you already know who this birdie is* :D)

He could have been a great player but atleash he has all the moolah. Who needs heart when you can just buy one?

bchoter
04-07-2006, 11:11 AM

Uhhm . . . is that player Vincent San Diego, formerly of DLSU?* He is 6'9".* Perhaps another 6'9" guy from La Salle, albeit from an earlier era, Raymond Lacson?
San Diego opted to rot in the DLSU bench rather than remain in the Espana campus and get all the playing time he needs to develop his game. Mark Kong was a cinch as a Tiger but decided to move over to the Archers' bench instead.

Mateen Cleaves
04-07-2006, 02:45 PM
Talk about another "who could've been" who is 6'9"...(I'm sure you already know who this birdie is :D)

Is it really a question of heart or head (as in toyo)? I still remember his play at the Thai SEA Games (was it Chiang Mai). The finals were in as hostile an environment as you could find. And he came up big (literally and figuratively) in that game. At least, for that tournament, you could not question his heart.

bombet
04-26-2006, 04:02 AM
I would like to start a thread to remember these well-known basketball players who for some reason or another by force of circumstance or by choice have not lived up or realized their potential, and faded to obscurity. For those who made a choice, it goes to show that there may be life after basketball, but for those who by force of circumstance has not lived up to their hype or expectation, may their lives be a lesson for our aspiring players.

Danny Francisco, 6-6 - you guys at the Ateneo can spin a better story about him.I leave it to you.

Stevenson Solomon, 6-4 - Muscular center for the San Sebastian Stags, wasnt able to play a game for the Stags in the NCAA, but part of the team that beat the Danny Francisco-led Eagles for the national title. Became no more than a marginal player or trade bait in the PBA bacause of career ending eye injuries which made him partially blind.

Edgardo Carvajal, 6-6 Key player of Jose Rizal's last NCAA Champion team in 1972 along with Philip Cezar... A head injury necessitated a brain operation which rendered him incapacitated and he became a vegetable for the rest of his life.

Bonifacio de Jesus, 6-8 - Member of that great 1978 RP Youth team which featured JVYango, Joel Banal, Chito Loyzaga, Gary Vargas, etc. Never made the pros, and died mysteriously in the 1980s.

John Copada, 6-5 Reed-thin San Beda Red Cub, was on the 1982 edition of the RP Youth Team coached by Ron Jacobs. The starting center slot was his but left the team before the tournament began, and Lasalle's Tonichi Yturri took his place. Never been heard from ever since.

Raul Dillo, 7-2 - Tallest ever native Filipino player, was slow afoot and never really developed and became more of a circus act. Went to try out at different colleges, among them San Beda and UE in the 1990s, but has faded into oblivion and last seen in a TV Patrol segment as having married a very tall woman and living a quiet life...

I remember that game between SSC and Ateneo for the National Inter-collegiate crown? Solomon was a revelation. Was that in 1989? Can't remember the year.

skywalker
04-26-2006, 08:50 AM

Is it really a question of heart or head (as in toyo)? I still remember his play at the Thai SEA Games (was it Chiang Mai). The finals were in as hostile an environment as you could find. And he came up big (literally and figuratively) in that game. At least, for that tournament, you could not question his heart.

Edgardo Carvajal could have been the best tall cager to have played out of JRC if not for that very unfortunate head injury. He was so much better than the Cezar brothers during their time at JRC. I think he sustained that injury when his head hit the top of the wall heading to the dugout of the Rizal Memorial. This is the reason as to why they installed a soft cushion at the top portion of the area leading to the dugout to avoid a similar incident. Take notice of that orange spot in case you visit the RMC.

toti_mendiola
04-26-2006, 10:57 AM

Raul Dillo, 7-2 - Tallest ever native Filipino player, was slow afoot and never really developed and became more of a circus act. Went to try out at different colleges, among them San Beda and UE in the 1990s, but has faded into oblivion and* last seen in a TV Patrol segment as having married a very tall woman and living a quiet life...

Big Bro MonL about Raul Dillo, he was my team mate a decade ago down fairview together with his cousin. Hehe. when the opposing teams saw him during the warm ups they were ready to pack up and leave. di nila alam piko ang laro ni raul. hehe. Minsan nung practice namin meron siyang hawak na anim na balut sa isang kamay, nagmukang itlog ng pugo eh. ngayon pa extra extra na lang sa encantadia. Madalas daw ma turn down si raul pag nag au audition sa mga casting parts eh, pano pati papel ng unano at duwende nag au audition siya. ;D

MonL
04-26-2006, 12:36 PM

Big Bro MonL about Raul Dillo, he was my team mate a decade ago down fairview together with his cousin. Hehe. when the opposing teams saw him during the warm ups they were ready to pack up and leave. di nila alam piko ang laro ni raul. hehe. Minsan nung practice namin meron siyang hawak na anim na balut sa isang kamay, nagmukang itlog ng pugo eh. ngayon pa extra extra na lang sa encantadia. Madalas daw ma turn down si raul pag nag au audition sa mga casting parts eh, pano pati papel ng unano at duwende* nag au audition siya.* ;D

Balita pa nga diyan ay sa isang scrimmage, patakbo pa lang siya sa center court, nakaka dalawang plays na yung team niya at ang kalaban nilang koponan.* zip-zap!* ;D*

The questions that beg to be asked are: is there still a chance for him? How old is he now? Can he be taught the basics still?* Can a basketball body still be formed out of him? Nowadays, the formation of a player not only involves teaching the game. There's also supervised conditioning programs, and possibly psychological counseling. I presume he's no longer eligible for collegiate ball, so perhaps a d-league team could take a second look at him...But the d-league/PBL also has an age limit, di ba?

keempee
04-26-2006, 01:50 PM
All this talk about the past really makes me miss the old PBA. There's a channel that shows Classic NBA games, maybe they can buy up the rights to old videos of the PBA and the national teams (1973 ABC, especially) and have a Classic PBA games show. Calling Solar Sports :)

i have a vcd of this 73 finals against korea. even gave a copy to arnaiz when he visited a couple of years ago. wala nga lang sound and the video is shot (galing betamax pa), but it still is serviceable. kanan lang ang dribble ng mga players non; harangin mo ng konti papunta sa kaliwa, titigil na ang dribble, hehe. jawo, a young mon fernandez, and tembong melencio were all there.

also have one of the classic 1991 game 7 of ginebra-shell. plus some ginebra games of the mid-90s (playoff vs smb, championship vs alaska).

i was trying to put up a collection of old games (esp classic toyota-crispa games), but it seems may problem ata with rights coz iba ang may hawak ng pba dati (vintage, and the one with dick ildefonso/emy arcilla before that). maybe we guys can share?

hanap ko are anejo-purefoods 1988 all-pinoy finals (yung binenta daw ni mon ang game 1 kaya nasipa ng purefoods, hehe); philippines vs usa 1985 jones cup featuring chip engelland, samboy and caidic; ginebra-manila beer games of 1986 (bates dunking right in guidaben's face at the buzzer); any toyota game (basta panalo ha, wag yung 16 seconds left, up by 4 points, already celebrating, at natalo pa sa utex); the first veterans vs rookie/sophomores all-star game in 1989 (the jawo-to-fernandez winning play and kilig handshake afterwards that got even veterans like tuadles and cezar laughing), the the toyota-crispa reunion game a few years back; and the 82 asian youth games (finals vs china, pero ok din yung vs korea na may suntukan).

baka meron din may copy ng 86 UP crown at 88 ateneo title nung napaiyak si dindo pumaren.

admuhs_upengg
04-26-2006, 02:18 PM
baka meron din may copy ng 86 UP crown at 88 ateneo title nung napaiyak si dindo pumaren.

That 1985 Jones Cup game vs USA was the one where Samboy had a monster game, 30+ points ata. I'd like to see the 1986 (?) ABC final vs. China. The 87 UAAP title game Ateneo vs. UE where the Eagles came back from 20+ points (??) with about 14 mins. left. The 88 UAAP title series Ateneo vs La Salle. THe 86 UP vs UE game was also televised so there should be a copy somewhere. PTV 4 was the channel that showed all these games.

keempee
04-26-2006, 02:25 PM
yun na nga! i doubt if meron may copy ng 86 ABC. i dont even remember it being aired on philippine tv. though january 1986 yon, so most probably, people were out campaigning that time.

both samboy and allan had monster games, along with engelland. samboy converted three straight 3-pointers to start the second half, which prevented the us team from pulling away. sabi nga ni jacobs, in 6 possessions which started the second half, the americans scored 6 baskets. tapos tayo, apat lang, pero lahat 3-points (the last one by engelland). so tied ballgame pa din after a 40-all yata na halftime score.

87, yep, 10 minutes na lang, bente pa lamang ng ue. i still remember the line "20 down, 10 to go."

the 86 UP game, with paras standing and clowning on the scorer's table.

classics!

kryptonite
04-27-2006, 02:38 AM

That 1985 Jones Cup game vs USA was the one where Samboy had a monster game, 30+ points ata. I'd like to see the 1986 (?) ABC final vs. China. The 87 UAAP title game Ateneo vs. UE where the Eagles came back from 20+ points (??) with about 14 mins. left. The 88 UAAP title series Ateneo vs La Salle. THe 86 UP vs UE game was also televised so there should be a copy somewhere. PTV 4 was the channel that showed all these games.

I bought a vcd copy of the DLSU-ADMU 1988 championship game from someone at aenista.net. I also have the 1987 championship game between ADMU and UE.

I was able to watch the UP-UE 1986 championship game on tv. Who was MVP during the 1986 UAAP season? Si Benjie Paras ba?

kryptonite
04-27-2006, 02:40 AM
yun na nga! i doubt if meron may copy ng 86 ABC. i dont even remember it being aired on philippine tv. though january 1986 yon, so most probably, people were out campaigning that time.

both samboy and allan had monster games, along with engelland. samboy converted three straight 3-pointers to start the second half, which prevented the us team from pulling away. sabi nga ni jacobs, in 6 possessions which started the second half, the americans scored 6 baskets. tapos tayo, apat lang, pero lahat 3-points (the last one by engelland). so tied ballgame pa din after a 40-all yata na halftime score.

87, yep, 10 minutes na lang, bente pa lamang ng ue. i still remember the line "20 down, 10 to go."

the 86 UP game, with paras standing and clowning on the scorer's table.

classics!

You were talking about the 1986 ABC title game? I know Engelland was not yet eligible to play in the ABC. Engelland played in the 1985 JONES CUP where we won the title against a Tommy Amaker-led US team.

keempee
04-27-2006, 03:42 AM
^

wasnt referring to the 86 abc with the game description. americans nga ang kalaban eh, so di pwede sa abc, hehehe.

magulo lang paragraph construction, sorry, hehe. first paragraph was about 86 abc. second was about 85 jones cup.

yep, no engelland yet in 86 abc. still and moore were our reinforcements then.

all three were in the jones cup the previous year though.

Ghostrider
04-28-2006, 05:46 PM
APCOR during those days had Yoyoy Villamin, Mon Cruz, Bai Cristobal and Padim Israel. They were always battling Ding Panganiban's Masagana 99 team with John Copada.

I agree that Mon Cruz was way past his prime when he and the other APCOR guys turned pro with Crispa. Toyota countered the next year with Ed Cordero, Terry Saldana, Tim Coloso, Chito Loyzaga (?) and Ricky Relosa.

Relosa and Villamin later joined forces for Hills Brothers when they became known as the "Bruise Brothers".

Bokyo Lauchengo and later on Rey Obias were dead eye shooters. Too bad their games never translated in the big leagues.

Other collegiate stars who never made it to the big show for various reasons, were Jerome Cueto, Dong Libed and Don King Sasuman.

salsa caballero
04-28-2006, 06:12 PM
Hi Ghost-

Sasuman made it to the PBA although his career was pretty uneventful. I believe he ended up with Shell(?) Btw, his real name is "Genesis" because he is their family's firstborn. Get it? Tukayo niya si Patricia Javier, yet another Genesis.

Si Cueto naman played point for a brief period with Swift. Did you know he was also the late Claudia Zobel's boyfriend? Another pretty actress, she. Arguably the prettiest of that generation's "bold" stars...

canmaker
04-28-2006, 06:22 PM
Pre,

Purefoods ang team ni Sasuman. As per quip of tv newscaster, noticing that SaSUMAN had gel-slicked hair:

" WOW, naka LATIK si SaSUMAN!!!"

Bwahahaha ......

============

Hi Ghost-

Sasuman made it to the PBA although his career was pretty uneventful. I believe he ended up with Shell(?) Btw, his real name is "Genesis" because he is their family's firstborn. Get it? Tukayo niya si Patricia Javier, yet another Genesis.

Si Cueto naman played point for a brief period with Swift. Did you know he was also the late Claudia Zobel's boyfriend? Another pretty actress, she. Arguably the prettiest of that generation's "bold" stars...

i-point
04-29-2006, 11:37 AM
Pareng kryptonite, ang suerte mo naman at meron ka palang VCD ng laro ng UE-Ateneo nung 1987 at ng DLSU-Ateneo nung 1988.* Ang tagal ko nang pinagnanasahang makakuha ng kopya ng mga VCD na iyan, dahil ang mga nasabing laro ay kininkilalang mga pinakamahusay sa kasaysayan ng UAAP.* Oks lang ba magpa-kopya?

admuhs_upengg
04-29-2006, 12:11 PM
Pareng kryptonite, ang suerte mo naman at meron ka palang VCD ng laro ng UE-Ateneo nung 1987 at ng DLSU-Ateneo nung 1988. Ang tagal ko nang pinagnanasahang makakuha ng kopya ng mga VCD na iyan, dahil ang mga nasabing laro ay kininkilalang mga pinakamahusay sa kasaysayan ng UAAP. Oks lang ba magpa-kopya?

Me too, me too.

kryptonite
04-30-2006, 12:06 AM
Ok lang. Ang problema nasa State ako ngayon. Nasa Pilipinas ang mga vcd ko. Kakausapin ko kapatid ko para sya ang kumopya para sa inyo. Hahanapin ko yung kilala ko sa atenista.net.

i-point
04-30-2006, 09:10 AM
Salamat pards. Paki-abiso na lang kung magkano'ng budget para dito ha. Kung ok lang sa 'yo, puede kitang padalan ng e-mail para sa mga detalye. :D

Ghostrider
05-02-2006, 02:04 PM
I'm pretty sure Cueto never made it to the PBA. Perhaps he was with the RFM franchise during its PABL games.

Regarding Don King, maybe he made it to the PBA, I emulated Marlou Aquino's game, and became disinterested during the period shortly before the entry of the fil-ams and the mba-pba war.

I have a copy of the VCDs from Pizza Guy - 87 Ateneo-La Salle & Ateneo-UE as well as 88 Ateneo-La Salle. I'll have to ask permission from Pizza Guy to recopy or hook you up directly with him.

Kid Cubao
05-02-2006, 04:13 PM
jerome was drafted by great taste. am not sure if he actually made its roster. his problem was of perception--for all his talent, he could not shake off the allegation that he was on the take. what happened was that he missed a couple of possible game-winners at point-blank distance, and thereon people always called him "benta."

having known jerome, i am standing by his version of events. according to him, he was actually being followed by a hitman of a notorious gambling syndicate. this hitman allegedly also stalked the likes of epoy jalmasco, boy viray, jun portoza, cesar baggay, and all those could-have-been hardcore greats. he said the hitman always wore a denim jacket and a camouflage cap, and his modus operandi was to sit directly behind the basket of the player he's tailing in the last five minutes of the game. from that place, he would threaten jerome with "pag na-shoot mo yan, magtago ka na!" kaya hetong si jerome, sa sobrang nerbyos, namimintis yung mga tutok na tira.

pio_valenz
05-02-2006, 04:42 PM

That 1985 Jones Cup game vs USA was the one where Samboy had a monster game, 30+ points ata.* I'd like to see the 1986 (?) ABC final vs. China. The 87 UAAP title game Ateneo vs. UE where the Eagles came back from 20+ points (??) with about 14 mins. left.* The 88 UAAP title series Ateneo vs La Salle.* THe 86 UP vs UE game was also televised so there should be a copy somewhere.* PTV 4 was the channel that showed all these games.

I bought a vcd copy of the DLSU-ADMU 1988 championship game from someone at aenista.net. I also have the 1987 championship game between ADMU and UE.

I was able to watch the UP-UE 1986 championship game on tv. Who was MVP during the 1986 UAAP season? Si Benjie Paras ba?

Re: UP-UE title game, the UP Information Office should have a copy. I remember for my birthday several years ago, my best friend who worked at the UP Admin building came over to my house with a VHS tape, which he said was his birthday gift for me. When I popped the tape into our VHS player, it was the UP-UE '86 title game! Dinekwat daw niya sa UPIO, but he had to return it the following day. Sayang, wala akong capability back then to do a tape-to-tape transfer.

Btw Eric Altamirano was MVP that year, not Paras.

kryptonite
05-02-2006, 10:29 PM
I'm pretty sure Cueto never made it to the PBA. Perhaps he was with the RFM franchise during its PABL games.

Regarding Don King, maybe he made it to the PBA, I emulated Marlou Aquino's game, and became disinterested during the period shortly before the entry of the fil-ams and the mba-pba war.

I have a copy of the VCDs from Pizza Guy - 87 Ateneo-La Salle & Ateneo-UE as well as 88 Ateneo-La Salle. I'll have to ask permission from Pizza Guy to recopy or hook you up directly with him.

I also got my copy from Pizza_guy too.

kryptonite
05-02-2006, 10:34 PM

Btw Eric Altamirano was MVP that year, not Paras.

Regular season MVP or Finals MVP? Thanks!

keempee
05-03-2006, 01:06 AM
^

finals mvp. im not sure if they gave out individual awards for the regular season those days.

LION
05-03-2006, 07:34 AM
^ I remember also that he was the finals MVP. It was his heroics in the last 5 minutes of the game that won the game for UP. Paras and Magsanoc were closely guarded the entire game and it was Altamirano's dribble drives which saved the day for UP.

MonL
05-03-2006, 07:55 AM
^ I remember also that he was the finals MVP. It was his heroics in the last 5 minutes of the game that won the game for UP.* Paras and Magsanoc were closely guarded the entire game and it was Altamirano's dribble drives which saved the day for UP.

Aha! Andun din siya, o.... ;D* I also remember Joey Guanio's shooting, and even Joey Mendoza let fly with a crucial three...I was seated almost behind the basket and* see up close Paras battling UE's big men underneath. What I remember too, before the game began, was seeing the whole UP team in the passageway from the dugout pumping and revving themseves up for that game....they were so mentally focused and determined to win when they finally went out to the court to play, and no one could stop them...

In line with this thread, had UE still had Allan Caidic, they could have been repeat champs that 1986 season....

LION
05-03-2006, 08:12 AM
^ Pareng MonL, 2nd year high school lang ako at that time. :)

That was a long time ago but I can still vividly remember Paras standing on top of the officials' table cheering and pumping up the UP crowd.

irateluvmachine
08-17-2007, 05:03 PM
wala pa yatang thread na ganito, so might as well start one...

this would be for highly-regarded UAAP and NCAA juniors standouts who failed to make an impact in the seniors, or who failed to even play a minute in the seniors division at all...

i'll start by asking whatever happened to these HS standouts, mostly from the mid-late '90s...

1. danny corsiga (SBC) - kasabayan ni jacques gottenbos, kerwin mccoy, etc. i think he was the top scorer in the '94-'95 red cubs but i never saw his name in a seniors lineup...

2. vincent robosa (ADMU) - played alongside e-vil, wesley gonzales, etc. used to see his name prominently in the juniors boxscores...

3. julius porlaje (UE) - shouldn't he be in 3rd year college by now? last time i heard something from the 2004 UAAP juniors MVP was that he was dropped from UP's seniors lineup...and that was in 2005...

toti_mendiola
08-17-2007, 06:09 PM
Danny Corsiga eventually found his way into the Muralla Knights team for a year or two. Then went overseas to follow his siblings.Pero bumalik di kalaunan eh bamalik din siyang pinas. Ilang taon ko din naging kakampi dito sa fairview yang mga batang yan kasama pa namin yung isang red cub na si Dexter Racho.

john_paul_manahan
08-19-2007, 04:04 AM
is that vincent robosa the guy who lives in san mateo, rizal? :) just wondering...

irateluvmachine
08-19-2007, 06:51 AM
^have no idea, dude...actually di nga ako 100% sure sa first name. basta may robosa sa mga mid-'90s blue eaglets teams, i'd usually see him scoring in double figures in the box scores, but somehow disappeared from view nung nag-seniors na sina villanueva at gonzales.

BigBlue
08-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Vince Robosa was a year ahead of Rico. He was not really that tall, I'd say 6-1 maybe 6-2 tops, but his heft made him a monster in the paint. Afaik, he was never even considered for the Seniors' team.

and JPM, maybe you're wondering, yes, he did run for councilor in 2001.

irateluvmachine
08-20-2007, 11:31 AM
here's another...

alvin banez (ssc-r), juniors mythical 5 in 2001.* he was selected together with jc intal, jay-r reyes, mark benitez and jon tabique...banez was the only player whose name i didn't see in a subsequent seniors lineup...

john_paul_manahan
08-21-2007, 12:06 AM
Vince Robosa was a year ahead of Rico. He was not really that tall, I'd say 6-1 maybe 6-2 tops, but his heft made him a monster in the paint. Afaik, he was never even considered for the Seniors' team.

and JPM, maybe you're wondering, yes, he did run for councilor in 2001.

no wonder the name is famillar... ;D yes, he did win another term...

irateluvmachine
08-23-2007, 05:14 PM
does anybody have any info on rodolfo sy from the san beda red cubs of the mid-'90s? i read in another forum that he was supposed to be the next big thing before drugs ruined his career...

residentshooter
08-23-2007, 05:51 PM
How about Tonton Abad? I think he played for the Adamson Baby Falcons (early 90s?). I'm not sure if he made it to the seniors level.

He used to play every summer at our village sportsfest. I think he's a shade under 6'0 and played the PG-SG spot really well. He's a great shooter too.

mangtsito
08-23-2007, 06:02 PM
^ I think he was recruited by DLSU, but never really played due to some problems with the coach who resented being denied a Junior's championship because of him.

irateluvmachine
08-24-2007, 07:52 PM
How about Tonton Abad? I think he played for the Adamson Baby Falcons (early 90s?). I'm not sure if he made it to the seniors level.

He used to play every summer at our village sportsfest. I think he's a shade under 6'0 and played the PG-SG spot really well. He's a great shooter too.

parang kasama siya sa lineup ng la salle nung mga '92 or '93...and he hardly played. his teammate, allen patrimonio, i think also won UAAP juniors MVP, but didn't live up to expectations as a green archer.

bluewing
08-24-2007, 07:58 PM
^have no idea, dude...actually di nga ako 100% sure sa first name.* basta may robosa sa mga mid-'90s blue eaglets teams, i'd usually see him scoring in double figures in the box scores, but somehow disappeared from view nung nag-seniors na sina villanueva at gonzales.*

the thing is, hindi na lumaki si vince noong college.

Joescoundrel
08-27-2007, 01:47 PM
Eman Nazareno was a great high school forward who made the Juniors Mythical 5 but never quite made the UAAP Seniors lineup except in his last year in college. Even then Eman was far from the star he once was. Its too bad he came in an era that had far more skilled players at the guard spot like LA and Macky, or he might have seen more action in the Seniors. Others in this era who were great high school players but could not quite crack the college game were Bits Tolosa and Gio Pasion. Eman and Gio at least saw action for Glory B, but Bits I think tried his luck with the track team in college.

In my time there was Bart Canon, Brando Cristi and present FEU Athletics boss Mark Molina. Bart was called the UAAP Juniors division's Charles Barkley, for his bulldozing strength and nifty post moves. Brando was the consummate high school center with his mass and toughness, earning the nickname "Stonewall". Mark was actually a gifted shooter and scorer, and a smart player at both forward spots. These guys saw some action in the college level but were never able to even approximate their stardom in the high school division. Bart and Brando were simply too small to match up against college post players. Mark had on and off success as a college swingman.