PDA

View Full Version : Who's the better Cuan?

BigBlue
08-26-2007, 09:02 PM
Mac or Japs?

Both pointguards on championship teams, but with distinct styles. Who would you rather have on your team?

flsfnoeraekadad
08-26-2007, 09:21 PM
Mac. Freethrows.

christian
08-26-2007, 10:55 PM
Mac sa shooting. Pero kung may shooters na sa team, Japs ako. Tapang and hustle, not to mention leadership.

joelex
08-27-2007, 03:37 AM
japs despite the shooting deficiency

mighty_lion
08-27-2007, 11:08 AM
Sorry lost ako, sino si Mac Cuan?

flsfnoeraekadad
08-27-2007, 11:14 AM
DLSU Green Archers point guard. Was part of some championship teams in the 4-year title run.

JonarSabilano
08-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Naaliw sa thread na ito. Kung gagawing Tagalog, magiging "Sino ang mas magaling na K'wan?" ;D

mighty_lion
08-27-2007, 11:22 AM
DLSU Green Archers point guard. Was part of some championship teams in the 4-year title run.

Ok thanks. Hindi ako ganun ka-familiar. Hindi pa kasi ganun ka-televised ang games nun.

But my one sided vote goes to Japs... Leadership and toughness despite shooting deficiencies.

flsfnoeraekadad
08-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Naaliw sa thread na ito. Kung gagawing Tagalog, magiging "Sino ang mas magaling na K'wan?" ;D
Parang...

"Sino ang mas magaling sa k'wan?" ;D

mighty_lion
08-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Naaliw sa thread na ito. Kung gagawing Tagalog, magiging "Sino ang mas magaling na K'wan?"* ;D
Parang...

"Sino ang mas magaling sa k'wan?" ;D

Better yet..

Sino ang paborito nyong k'wan? :P

eustacia
08-27-2007, 02:09 PM
It’s hard to compare the two, because although they are both PGs, they have very different approaches to the game.

Japs is a better slasher, Mac is a better outside shooter. Mac is very steady on court (very few turnovers), while Japs tends to be a bit “gigil” at times. And of course, Mac is a better free throw shooter.

Coolmanny
08-27-2007, 05:02 PM
It’s hard to compare the two, because although they are both PGs, they have very different approaches to the game.

Japs is a better slasher, Mac is a better outside shooter.* Mac is very steady on court (very few turnovers), while Japs tends to be a bit “gigil” at times.* And of course, Mac is a better free throw shooter.

I think I'll go for Mac, I remember a final 4 game when UST was forced to fould to stop the clock and Mac was very consistent in the free throw line

I also wish he could spend more time teaching his little bro how to shoot for our benefit

aircanda
08-27-2007, 06:13 PM
Japs. Maganda ang intensity ni Cuan. Nakakahawa sa teamates. Plus, always moving without the ball. If free throws in clutch? Ilabas si Cuan, ipasok c cortez..hehehe

Howard the Duck
08-27-2007, 10:19 PM
Mac since he has better hats ;D

Now if Japs can at least have some shooting skills (like shooting unmolested FTs) then it'll be great. Kahit FTs lang...

Joescoundrel
08-28-2007, 06:33 PM
Japs is the better one for me. He is the star pointguard on a championship team. For all of his shortcomings that is something his Kuya Mac can never take away from him. As good as Mac was for Lasalle he was never a star on that team. Even considering the star-studded lineup of Lasalle then especially in the backcourt, if Mac was trully a great player then he would have been a star on that team regardless of who his teammates were. Japs on the other hand showed he can run a good team and be a starter on a champion in spite of all his supposed basketball deficiencies. His oncourt leadership and all of the other intangibles more than made up for his lack of a shot. He passed, slashed, ran the drive and draw and the pick and roll to perfection.

THAT ultimately is what makes Japs better.

greencm
08-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Mac hands down. Simple lang. Mac spent a few yrs in the pros. I seriously doubt Japs will.

bananafrap
08-30-2007, 12:07 AM
^ hehe malay nman natin baka kaya din un ni japs. pero kahit di ko napanood si mac maglaro kc di ko na sha naabutan, bata pa ako nun eh hehe, dahil sa La Salle sha naglaro chempre kay mac na ako haha biased!ü ;D

atenean_blooded
08-30-2007, 12:10 AM
Mac Cuan.

pablohoney
08-30-2007, 08:52 AM
I'd go for Mac, as well.
Hindi kase siya one-dimensional, and his freethrow shooting is waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than that of Japs'. ;D
He wasn't known for his strong offensive threat, he was for me a more reliable defender.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mac played the 2-3, while Japs is a pure point guard. So maedyo unfair din ang comparison, since they played 2 different positions. Sa pagkakatanda ko. ;D

GHRanger
08-30-2007, 10:20 AM
Mac Cuan.
This guy was steady at the point. Not very flashy but good on defense. In a time when there was a RenRen doing the work, he did very well where he was supposed to do - orchestrate plays, play good defense, give the assist. And his FT shooting and averages were way much better. :D

But right now, let's probably give Japs until the end of his term at college ball before we can truly compare both them.

jayverns
09-03-2007, 12:35 AM
ok naman kasi si Japs Cuan, ang problema lang talaga sa kanya eh outside shooting.

pablohoney
09-03-2007, 11:00 AM
ok naman kasi si Japs Cuan, ang problema lang talaga sa kanya eh outside shooting.

Right.
Pero naka-tres yan near halfcourt.
Hindi nga lang counted. ;D

Howard the Duck
09-03-2007, 12:57 PM

Right.

counted yun ;D

sure ball si japs kung 25+ feet ang layo, anything nearer airball :P

aircanda
09-03-2007, 06:46 PM
ano pala nangyare kay japs kahapon?bkt binangko at nung pinasok parang nagkakalat?na-injure b?

Howard the Duck
09-03-2007, 07:55 PM
ano pala nangyare kay japs kahapon?bkt binangko at nung pinasok parang nagkakalat?na-injure b?
noong ateneo game pa siya nagkakalat

nel
09-03-2007, 09:41 PM
Japs suffered a bad fall and hurt his hip against a UP player. He had to be helped off the court, but happily was able to return to the game. Coach Pido did the right thing in playing him sparingly for the rest of the game.

Mac had the more complete game, and the ability to play either pg or sg. He also had a post up move even when playing as a pg, and I remember that he would occasionally be isolated against his smaller guard in some games, and he would sometimes play with is back to the basket whenever this opportunity arose. It didn't happen often, but he had the game for it.

Mac also had a fairly dependable medium range shot, and this gives him a distinct advantage over Japs. Japs is faster, though, and can usually beat his man on the dribble.

pablohoney
09-04-2007, 12:25 AM

Right.

counted yun ;D

I stand corrected, Howard.
Counted nga pala iyun. Sobrang naaliw ako kaya di ko na napansin ang scoreboard sa Araneta eh.
Sobrang bonus na yung pagkapasok ng tres ni Japs near halfcourt.

Siguro nagbunga ang pagpraktis nila ng tres at FTs ... biruin mo eh si Japs nakatres..

@ aircanda: pwede nating sabihin na "nasahod" si Japs, at masama ang bagsak. Walang foul na tinawag, baka kaya lalo siyang nanghina ;D

Again just so I'm not accused of being offtopic, Japs is quicker while Mac is more versatile. :)

aircanda
09-04-2007, 09:28 PM
ang isa pang magandang topic sir is "who is the better Espiritu?".. kung c elmer ba o c alwyn.. tngen nio?

Howard the Duck
09-04-2007, 10:26 PM
ang isa pang magandang topic sir is "who is the better Espiritu?".. kung c elmer ba o c alwyn.. tngen nio?

no match yan

kay anthony espiritu ;D :P

aircanda
09-04-2007, 10:31 PM

no match yan

kay anthony espiritu ;D :P

agree..hehehe... ;D

jayverns
09-05-2007, 12:23 AM

Right.

counted yun ;D

I stand corrected, Howard.
Counted nga pala iyun. Sobrang naaliw ako kaya di ko na napansin ang scoreboard sa Araneta eh.
Sobrang bonus na yung pagkapasok ng tres ni Japs near halfcourt.

Siguro nagbunga ang pagpraktis nila ng tres at FTs ... biruin mo eh si Japs nakatres..

@ aircanda: pwede nating sabihin na "nasahod" si Japs, at masama ang bagsak. Walang foul na tinawag, baka kaya lalo siyang nanghina* ;D

Again just so I'm not accused of being offtopic, Japs is quicker while Mac is more versatile. :)

pablo, naaalala ko nung PBL naka-shoot din yan sa tres buzzer beater nung Magnolia vs. Kettle Korn, kaya nag-double overtime yung game.

bchoter
09-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Mac is better all around but Japs is a better at distributing the ball and penetrating. College ball impact favors Japs.

true.blue
09-11-2007, 03:30 PM
OT, but what is really wrong with the way Japs Cuan is doing his FTs? No fluidity, no feel for the ball, parang he never learned to flip the ball into a nice arc in his whole life. Is he really confused as to whether he is right handed or left handed, as someone in another thread said?

eightyfiver
09-18-2007, 01:08 PM
Pressure plays a part. In pregame shootaround, he can shoot 10 straight FT w/o a miss. Naisip tuloy namin baka nauubos iyong buwenas niya kakapraktis before the game, hehehe. In fairness, they did a hack-a-japs yesterday and Japs didn't disappoint making at least 50%.

aircanda
09-18-2007, 08:17 PM
^^ hmm.. 50 percent is still bad for a pointguard sir? i think so..

marky1983
09-19-2007, 07:28 AM
id go for japs. japs likes to gamble on offense.. he tends to turn the ball over more frequently than his kuya, pero mas madalas naman ang mga spectacular plays niya :D all he needs to improve is his shooting and his ability to create under intense defensive pressure. IMHO, mashadong safe si mac. siguro ang mas magandang ikumpara si mac at ty tang.

robin1212
09-20-2007, 08:54 AM
I've seen both of them play and I should say I like the younger Cuan better. Take away Mac on the DLSU teams he played in and they would still be champs. But take away Japs from UST will make them just mere contenders.

kenbball
09-27-2007, 11:26 AM
MAC CUAN is better. yung bata minsan nagiging liability pa sa crunch time

bchoter
09-27-2007, 12:28 PM
"Si Mac College na nung nag point guard samantalang si Japs bata pa point guard na kaya mas magaling mag set ng plays si Japs"

-- from the father of the two ballers

scqg
09-27-2007, 02:09 PM
Pressure plays a part. In pregame shootaround, he can shoot 10 straight FT w/o a miss. Naisip tuloy namin baka nauubos iyong buwenas niya kakapraktis before the game, hehehe. In fairness, they did a hack-a-japs yesterday and Japs didn't disappoint making at least 50%.

don't tell me buong season may pressure. hehe. ;D 10 straight? i'd love to see that captured in video..hehe.

scqg
09-27-2007, 02:11 PM
id go for japs. japs likes to gamble on offense.. he tends to turn the ball over more frequently than his kuya, pero mas madalas naman ang mga spectacular plays niya :D all he needs to improve is his shooting and his ability to create under intense defensive pressure. IMHO, mashadong safe si mac. siguro ang mas magandang ikumpara si mac at ty t@ng.

japs' style can be tolerated in uaap but not in the pba. bangko agad yan pag nagkalat.

overall, MAC is the BETTER player. i don't even think japs will be drafted in the pba..not unless he learns how to shoot the ball..basketball is not just all about dribbling..it's also about putting the ball into the goal..hehe.

bchoter
09-27-2007, 02:52 PM
But Japs is better than Mac in putting the ball in the hole. Layups at tear drops nga lang but still betterh than Mac :D. They really are a study in contrast. While Japs likes to initiate the action Mac prefers to sit back and let teh play happen. Mac prefers shooting Js. Japs abhors them. Japslikes to take his man off the dribble or off the spin. Mac shoots jumpers. Mac converts his free throw. Japs is happy just to hit the rim. Even their contrasting styles of play is reflected in their TO tally. Mac rarely commits them while Japs has 2-3 a game.

On defense, Mac is more versatile because of his height. He has good defensive fundamentals and is rearely caught reaching in. His height allows him to defend even the opposing swingmen. However, Japs ain't too shabby either. His strenght and speed allows him to keep up with all comers. Plus he's an above average rebounder although more because of his, again, strength, and athleticism rather than positioning. Mac is good at blocking out.

So who's the better PG? At the same point in their careers I'll pick Japs. But Mac is still one up over Japs with his PBA stint.

pablohoney
10-01-2007, 11:34 AM
@ jayverns: yup, i remember that three. haha sobrang suntok sa buwan eh hehehe. ;D

Ontopic:

It's hard to compare the two as they don't exactly play the same exact position.

Pero kung all-around --defense, offense, FTs, rebounds, etc.... I'd pick Mac, as Japs is a liability on offense, except if running game, then panalo talaga si Japs.

Pero magaling din magtrebound si Japs, I think he is ranked # 1 sa rebounds amongst all guards... IMHO.

bchoter
10-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Banko din pala si Mac sa PBA :D. In fact, it looks like he's given up on another PBA stint.

Animo_Nation
10-17-2007, 10:56 AM
For me Mac Cuan is better because one thing he can shoot FT with accuracy. His jumper's are also reliable.

bchoter
10-17-2007, 02:18 PM
How do we truly gauge which is the better player? Is (very) bad free throw shooting and worse permiter shooting enough to say that one player is worse?

How about their playmaking abilities, which is their primary roles anyway?

Does it also mean that we no longer have to compare their ability to dribble-drive and finish or dish? Who can execute the pick-and-role better?

Or is Japs totally hopeless because of his lack of shooting?

bloksterism
10-21-2007, 06:55 PM
mac pare.

by the way, i wanna see jabs cuan play ball; sya yung younger brother ni japs. 1st year sya sa uste ngayon. i'm not from ust, but i know him coz we were classmates in claret in grade school

arrow_head
11-13-2007, 03:07 PM
I've actually had the opportunity of seeing both brothers play back when they were in Claret. Mac led the Claret HS Varsity to the 1995-96 PAYA Championship while Japs strutted his wares in the SBP and Pasarelle teams of the school. Japs, JC Intal and OJ Cua were teammates in grade school, before the so-called "exodus" happened, with JC and OJ landing in Letran HS and Japs in USTHS. That was also the time where the Claret basketball program begun to crumple, but it's good to know that Dexter Hipolito has been able to crack the Maroon's line-up for this season.

Anyways, to compare the two, Mac (or Ronald) was a two-guard and small forward in HS. The name of their starting PG is Proctacio, who is a good 6'1-6'2" but is able to handle the ball well. While Japs, given that he was taller than most of his batchmates, would play all five positions on the court (during intramurals, he would bring the ball down, post whoever is guarding him or slash to the rim, and harass the opposing PG as the ball is being brought down). And oh, both brothers don't shoot that much from the perimeter, it's just that Mac probably made an effort to fine-tune his jumpshot since his high-flying act would be limited once he gets into college . As for the younger Cuan, when he transferred to USTHS, he still relied on his quickness to get to the hole and score, but hasn't done much to improve his touch from outside.

If i were to choose who is much better among the two in terms of playing ability, i'd say it's Mac, since he was able to remarkably transform himself from a wingman into becoming the starting quarterback for a UAAP champion squad, as well as getting drafted and being able to play in the league for some time. Also, IMO, a point guard should have a decent jump shot and a deft touch from the stripe. That way, it'll keep defenses honest and would create opportunities for the other 4 on the floor. It is also necessary that the floor general be able to drain foul shots especially when the game is on the line. Ronald has these qualities while John Paul has been lacking in these areas, though he still has a year left to develop his perimeter game.

bchoter
11-13-2007, 04:06 PM
Japs just hit 2 out of 4 three-point shots in yesterday's CCL game against Mapua. And, according to those who watched the game, those were not desperatin attempts but were confidently taken.

So does the lack of shooting make one automatically less than the other? Who's the better distributor? Who set the plays better? Who had the bigger impact with their teams? If you take both of them from their teams which team suffers most?

mighty_lion
11-13-2007, 04:26 PM
Its hard to tag who is the better player on set. Tingin ko kasi depende din yun sa team. If you put Japs on that DLSU team maging fit kaya sya sa sistema ni Pumaren? Eh si Mac kaya sa sistema ni Pido para maiabot ang bola kay Jervy Cruz sa ilalim? Hindi ko nakita kung paano maglaro si Mac but how people here would decribe how he played before, mukhang isa sya sa mga key players ng La Salle. We all can dwell on how unreliable Japs jumper is but but we can try to compare Japs FG % against Mac and then for sure mas mataas si Japs. Japs is an underrated undersized slasher. Thats his value to this UST team. Same with how important Tony Parker sa Spurs. Norman Black once introduced the "hack-a-Jap" strategy just to take out the catalyzt of of the UST offense. For me that how valuable Japs is to this UST team.

BedanRoar
11-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Japs just hit 2 out of 4 three-point shots in yesterday's CCL game against Mapua. And, according to those who watched the game, those were not desperatin attempts but were confidently taken.

So does the lack of shooting make one automatically less than the other? Who's the better distributor? Who set the plays better? Who had the bigger impact with their teams? If you take both of them from their teams which team suffers most?

It's good to see signs of improvement. But, he has to continuously work on his outside shooting. also in yesterdays game, he missed a couple of free throws (which is closer and un-opposed compared to a three point shot).

bchoter
11-13-2007, 05:18 PM
How big is shooting in comparing two players? Pag ba nag improve ang shooting ni Japs we can now say that he is the better player? So far kasi that's the only issue raised against him.

When you watch both guards play it's obvious that Japs is the more natural PG while Mac is the converted one. The Dad himself said that Japs has better PG instincts because he was always a PG. Mac had to adjust and had none of Japs instincts. Japs plays the PG spot not only by training but by feel. This instinct has allwoed him to lead his teams to championships. Both in Juniors and Seniors basketball. And in both instances he played huge roles.

toti_mendiola
11-13-2007, 06:42 PM
Japs is better designed/engineered ergonometrically. Walang drag. Kalbo eh, si mac mahaba ang buhok, mabagal, kumbaga sa principle ng aerodynamics. ;D

bchoter
11-13-2007, 07:33 PM
^ Lalo pa namang nagbahaba si Mac ngayon. Kaya siguro di na rin nakabalik sa PBA.

pablohoney
11-14-2007, 06:27 PM
Sir toti, natawa ako sa "aerodynamics". ;D

Edi mas mabilis di lumangoy si Japs kaysa kay Mac, kung aerodynamics rin lang ang basehan. hehe

bchoter
11-20-2007, 04:45 PM

It's good to see signs of improvement. But, he has to continuously work on his outside shooting. also in yesterdays game, he missed a couple of free throws (which is closer and un-opposed compared to a three point shot).
Looks like Japs' efforts are finally paying off. He, again, converted a confidently taken 3-point shot plus ended up with a 4-5 clip from the FT line the last for of which were made successively and in crunch time.

So is Japs on his way to becoming the better Cuan?

arrow_head
11-27-2007, 11:30 AM
well, based on his performance yesterday against a Blue Eagle squad whose guard line will be fortified next year, it seems his last season will be a bleak one. He was just an eyesore when Chris Tiu dared him to take the perimeter shot on several occassions- - and not one did he successfully converted. There were none of his floaters and other short stabs...his game was not going that's why coach Pido decided to let Mirza and Ababou run the point during the 2nd half of the game...

bchoter
11-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Thankfully a season is not based on one game. And more thankful that he can learn more from it rather than be pulled down by it. Most of the plays called were for the post men. When the big men were shutdown by the Eagles that effectively took away one of his options. In the past he created scoring opportunities by driving to the lane. But the Eagles had good defensive rotation which took away his drop passes. That left him with taking his own shots, which, in this game, didn't drop. Not even his floaters.

joelex
11-27-2007, 01:35 PM
i feel like retracting my post before saying that japs is the better of the 2.

mac is average but japs has been terrible not only in shooting (understandable) nut also in setting up the offense and even in D. UST's PG deficiency is really not serving them well.

BigBlue
11-27-2007, 02:49 PM
when Japs plays well, he's head and shoulders above Mac. but as shown by yesterday's game, when he's off, hirap ang UST.

ankle breaker
11-28-2007, 04:33 AM
mac cuan is much better than japs.

bchoter
11-28-2007, 10:09 AM
That's just Japs' luck. One bad game and he's bad forever. Can't shoot the FTs and his whole game is bad.

addikt
12-07-2007, 07:21 PM
Well maybe Mac is better as a point guard than Japs..but Japs is more important to ust than Mac is to La Salle..

That DLSU team will still win its championship with Mac not around, but UST will not win its championship without Japs as point.

Also please consider that Japs' only downside is his shooting. In all other aspects he is much better than Mac. A coach can teach jumpshots and freethrows, but not point guard instincts.

addikt
12-07-2007, 07:24 PM
This comparison is just like comparing Mac Cuan to Paul Artadi. Artadi basically plays a lot like Japs. Well my question is who has a longer PBA career between the two? Maybe Artadi doesn't have a stellar PBA career, but well I think he now has a longer PBA career than Mac. ;D

bchoter
12-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Japs hit another 3-pointer in an FMC Open game against STI. He continuous to convert his floaters but missed an open jumper.

crees
12-13-2007, 08:48 PM
sa hair, si mac. hehe.. ang dulas, ang smooth!

ok.. seryoso na.

consistency wise, (me ganun?) i really go for mac. i used to watch him back in high school sa pbl and i know that he's gonna make it talaga sa pro league. japs on the other hand, on my observation. minsan ok minsan hindi. at ang freethrow shooting.. my goodness. kelangan pa talaga nya ng matinding pagsasanay. ::)

bchoter
12-14-2007, 11:13 AM
^ Consistently great? Consistently average? Consistently mediocre?

crees
12-14-2007, 06:55 PM
of course, consistently greater than japs. kay japs lang. ;D

bchoter
12-17-2007, 06:09 PM
^ Maybe you can put more meat to your "more consistent" claim by showing us their comparative stats. Of course stats doesn't tell it all but, at least, it's one factor that determines which is better.

bardo
12-28-2007, 04:00 PM
I think that their youngest brother John Ben Cuan is better than both of them

Mas maangas yung laro ni John Ben, mga claretiano kasi dati.

stonecold316
01-16-2008, 01:16 AM
Si Japs Cuan sakin. If you were able to watch him play for UST sa UAAP, makikita mo na he can make other players score points because of his excellent passing skills. Aside from that, maganda rin ang ball-handling niya at IQ sa paglalaro ng basketball. For this year, Japs was named the KFC best assist man after he averaged about 7 or 8 feeds a game. Impressive yun para sa akin.

Like what the other poster said, tanggalin mo si Japs medyo papangit ang offense ng Tigers. At napatunayan na yan sa ilang games nila in Season 70. It was a good thing that Jun Cortez, for some moments when he was on court, was able to produce quality minutes as point guard.

With regards to Japs free throw shooting, during their game against San Beda in the FMC last Sunday, he was able to convet 2 out of 2 freebies. Ang maganda dun, parehong attempt binanda niya sa back board. Astig!

stonecold316 :)