PDA

View Full Version : Best PBA draft class ever

erichubert
08-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Hi guys, we all know that in the NBA, the draft class of 96, 03 and 84 are widely regarded as the best ever. There have been a lot of analysis regarding this and different arguments have been given for each class. How about the PBA, which class do you think is the best?
Personally, I think of course the batch of 1988 and 1989 was the best and deepest. 88 had Lastimosa, Patrimonio, Codinera, Tanuan, Magsanok and Capacio. While 89 had Paras, Asaytono, Alvarez and the biggest steal of all Agustin. 93 wasn't bad too with Limpot, Pablo, Abbarientos and Racela. What do you guys think?

Howard the Duck
08-24-2007, 02:29 PM
2000 ;D

Sam Miguel
08-24-2007, 03:08 PM
I don't know if the 1988 "Patrimonio" rookie class can be considered a top draft class, considering the core of that rookie class practically went en masse to a then-fledgling Purefoods franchise. I don't even recall who went Number 1 that year.

I'd say the 1989 rookie class would be the better Draft Class, with two-time MVP (including the first ever ROY-MVP) Benjie Paras at the top of that Class. It also included one-time scoring king Nelson Asaytono, many-time champion pointguard Dindo Pumaren, and Mr Excitement Bong Alvarez, one of only two or three Filipinos to ever see action in a modern American Pro League (together with Vince Hizon for a team coached by Daryl Dawkins). I believe Zaldy Realubit, Peter Aguilar, Nani Demegillo, Boy Cabahug, Ricric Marata and another MVP and multiple PBA champion, Ato Agustin, were also part of that Draft Class.

I believe Jun Limpot, Vic Pablo and Johnny A were in the Class of 1991, not 1993. I think Noli Locsin was the top pick of the 1993 Draft Class, the same one that included EJ Feihl, Kenneth Duremdes, Jeff Cariaso and the legendary Dodot Jaworski, a neoptism pick if ever there was one.

bluebruiser90
08-24-2007, 03:17 PM
^The 1988 PBA No. 1 Draft Pick was Jack Tanuan who also went to Purefoods.*

irateluvmachine
08-24-2007, 03:30 PM
it's the 1989 draft class for me...hands-down. ;D

erichubert
08-24-2007, 03:53 PM
Limpot, Pablo and Johnny A. were part of the 93 batch. Noli Locsin was no.1 pick of the 94 draft with Evangelista, Victoria. The 95 batch was also good with Espino, Duremdes and Cariaso but it also produced a lot of disappointments in Feihl, Dudut and Bryant Punzalan.
I forgot about the 2003 draft that featured Mike Cortez, Enrico V., Jimmy Alapag, Harvey Carey, Cablay and Mamaril, I think Baguio was even a 2nd rounder that year so that should also get prime consideration.
On the other hand 2000 was probably the worst ever and I hope we would not get another draft like that. Imagine the 2nd pick being Marc Victoria who never really got to play much in the league. I think other members of the draft were Paolo Mendoza and Dino Aldeguer.

Sam Miguel
08-24-2007, 04:13 PM
I stand corrected on the draft years for Limpot et al.

I got confused there because I was equating Limpot's Draft Class to the core of the 1991 SEA Games team.

So the likes of Vergel Meneses and Bong Ravena actually turned pro earlier than their SEA Games teammates.

Which Draft Class included Bong Solomon then?

erichubert
08-24-2007, 06:13 PM
If I am not mistaken Solomon was part of the 92 batch of Vergel Meneses, Bong Ravena, Bong Hawkins. I remember he played for the 1991 SEAG team too that won the gold here in Manila. The 1991 draft was full of busts too including Eugene Quilban and Alex Araneta. I think the only player who really made it from this class was Art dela Cruz.

irateluvmachine
08-24-2007, 07:14 PM
^class of '91 was arguably the worst draft class till the class of 2000 (paolo mendoza, marc victoria, dino aldeguer, etc.) came around. aside from araneta and quilban (who was okay in his first few years, in all fairness), the class of '91 featured such luminaries ::) like ronnie lucero (played a grand total of ONE GAME for shell, who drafted him) and jun tiu, who has the dubious distinction of being one of very few first-round draftees never to play in the PBA.

kryptonite
09-04-2007, 10:25 AM
PBA Draft Class (including some Direct Draftees and Fil-foreign direct hires) partial list

Valenciano, Cuenco, Ampalayo, Cui, Merced (Samboy Lim, Calma, Teng, Pumaren, Elmer Reyes, Graves, Almario, Ytturi, Dignadice)
Caidic, Solis, Harmon Codinera, Salazar, Anthony Mendoza, Dennis Carbonilla
Tanuan, Magsanoc, Jalmasco, Polistico, Joel Santos (Patrimonio, Lastimosa, Capacio, Codinera)
Paras, Asaytono, Alvarez, Realubit, Romy Dela Rosa, Bobby Jose, Cabahug, Pumaren, Marata, Demegillo, Agustin
Jao, Jun Reyes, Babilonia, Bognot, Villanil, Villarias, Postanes, Esplana, Angeles
Araneta, Hawkins, Quilban, Gayoso, Santamaria, Palad
Meneses, Solomon, Escobar, Ramas, Ravena, Eric Reyes, Sasan, Chuatico, Jabar, BALINGIT, Guanio
Limpot, Pablo, Abarrientos, Lago, Cheng, Cardel, Boyet Fernandez, Bachmann, Racela, Delantes
Locsin, Evangelista, Victoria, Ticzon, Juinio, Castelo, Falcasantos, Hizon, Ong, Naron, Bolado, Jonas Mariano, Belmonte
Espino, Feihl, Duremdes, Chris Jackson, Punzalan, Cariaso, Edmund Reyes, Elmer Lago, Jojo Lim, Bal David, Orquillas, Jaworski,
Aquino, Rodney Santos, Ruben Dela Rosa, Gamboa, Morelos, Peter Martin, Fran
Andy Seigle, Belasco, Webb, Ballesteros, Gabby Cui, Edward Naron, Tonyboy Espinosa
Ildefonso, Castillo, Peek, Encarnacion, Antonio, Calpito, Henry Fernandez, Steven Smith, Jasper Ocampo, Dualan
Alvarado, Robin Mendoza, Erwin Luna, Gahol, Yee, Buenaventura, Allado, Gerard Francisco, Belano (Menk, Taulava, Seigle, Walkvist, Tony Dela Cruz)
Paolo Mendoza, Marc Victoria, Aldeguer, Gumatay, Billones (Raymundo, Tugade, Valenzuela, Torion, Harp, Pennisi)
Miller, Hrabak, Cagouia, Demape, Arigo, Adriano, Ortiguera, Mente, Morano, Tangkay
De Ocampo, Reavis, Omanzie Rodriguez, Calaguio, Se, Noble, Canlas, Ritualo, Avenido, Bajar, Dimaunahan
Cortez, Adducul, Laure, Carey, Cablay, Mamaril, Enrico Villanueva, Alapag, Salvacion, Tubid, Baguio
Alvarez, Yap, Pingris, R. De Ocampo, Thoss, Lopez, Sotto, Omolom, W. Gonzales, Artadi, Wilson
Washington, Cabagnot, Miranda, Salvador, Cardona, Canaleta, Holper, Hubalde, Najorda, Manalo, Fonacier, Bugia
Williams, Santos, Yeo, tenorio, Espinas, Isip, Aban, Bautista
Devance, Eman, Ryan Reyes, Intal, Kramer, Bono, Quinahan, Aljamal, Jonas Villanueva, Arana

Mateen Cleaves
09-04-2007, 11:54 AM
^class of '91 was arguably the worst draft class till the class of 2000 (paolo mendoza, marc victoria, dino aldeguer, etc.) came around. aside from araneta and quilban (who was okay in his first few years, in all fairness), the class of '91 featured such luminaries ::) like ronnie lucero (played a grand total of ONE GAME for shell, who drafted him) and jun tiu, who has the dubious distinction of being one of very few first-round draftees never to play in the PBA.

I'd still take '91 over '90 just because of Bong Hawkins. IMO, Esplana had the best career in the 1990 class, as listed by kryptonite.

Also, regardless of how Quilban subsequently wasted his career, he was still much better than Jun Reyes.

erichubert
09-04-2007, 04:55 PM
I agree, looking at the list I think the 90 batch was way worse, I thought Hawkins came from the 92 batch, since he came from the 91 batch that made that year much better. I think from the list we can see some of the greatest draft blunders in the PBA. For me some of the biggest were:
1.) San Miguel drafting Bryant Punzalan over Jeffrey Cariaso and then seeing Cariaso win the ROY.
2.) Presto drafting Apet Jao no. 1 overall when they had Caidic back then playing most of the minutes at the 2 spot.
3.) Alaska selecting Alex Araneta over Bong Hawkins in 91.
4.) Talk N Text passing on John Arigo and drafting Gilbert Demape instead (btw, I wonder where he is now?).
5.) Rich Alvarez going no.1 overall, if the draft were to be redone now, I think he might fall somewhere late in the 1st round.
6.) The 2003 draft, somehow those drafted in the late first round and the 2nd round (Villanueva, Alapag, Tubid, Baguio and Salvacion) have had much better careers than their counterparts drafted earlier (Mamaril, Adducul, Laure, Cablay and Carey).

pio_valenz
09-04-2007, 06:44 PM
I don't know if the 1988 "Patrimonio" rookie class can be considered a top draft class, considering the core of that rookie class practically went en masse to a then-fledgling Purefoods franchise. I don't even recall who went Number 1 that year.

I'd say the 1989 rookie class would be the better Draft Class, with two-time MVP (including the first ever ROY-MVP) Benjie Paras at the top of that Class. It also included one-time scoring king Nelson Asaytono, many-time champion pointguard Dindo Pumaren, and Mr Excitement Bong Alvarez, one of only two or three Filipinos to ever see action in a modern American Pro League (together with Vince Hizon for a team coached by Daryl Dawkins). I believe Zaldy Realubit, Peter Aguilar, Nani Demegillo, Boy Cabahug, Ricric Marata and another MVP and multiple PBA champion, Ato Agustin, were also part of that Draft Class.*

Yup, I agree. '89 was perhaps the best rookie class, with '88 a close second. In fact, those two rookie batches were so loaded with talent that in 1989 the PBA decided to have a Rookies-Sophomores vs. Veterans format for its All-Star Game. The vets won by two, thanks to a Jaworski-to-Fernandez play in the dying seconds.

irateluvmachine
09-04-2007, 08:18 PM
^class of '91 was arguably the worst draft class till the class of 2000 (paolo mendoza, marc victoria, dino aldeguer, etc.) came around.* aside from araneta and quilban (who was okay in his first few years, in all fairness), the class of '91 featured such luminaries* ::) like ronnie lucero (played a grand total of ONE GAME for shell, who drafted him) and jun tiu, who has the dubious distinction of being one of very few first-round draftees never to play in the PBA.

I'd still take '91 over '90 just because of Bong Hawkins. IMO, Esplana had the best career in the 1990 class, as listed by kryptonite.

Also, regardless of how Quilban subsequently wasted his career, he was still much better than Jun Reyes.

oo nga pala no...si hawkins pala class of '91. class of '90 had quite a lot of busts, but it was deeper overall.

Emon74
06-24-2009, 01:53 PM
1989 and 1993 were the best PBA draft class, I think Racela and Cardel were pick in the second round in '93, worst draft class was 1997, where two fil-ams started it all, Andy Seigle and Nick Belasco, the best local talent in '97 was Jason Webb, picked number 3 overall, his career didnt lasts long.

irateluvmachine
06-29-2009, 05:09 PM
1989 and 1993 were the best PBA draft class, I think Racela and Cardel were pick in the second round in '93, worst draft class was 1997, where two fil-ams started it all, Andy Seigle and Nick Belasco, the best local talent in '97 was Jason Webb, picked number 3 overall, his career didnt lasts long.

cardel was picked in the 1st round by alaska. didn't have much of a PBA career though, being an undersized 2. racela was a 3rd-rounder if i'm not mistaken. backup PG ng purefoods for his first few years, before emerging as a superstar for SMB...

Joescoundrel
07-14-2009, 09:01 AM
^ I believe John Cardel went to Alaska at a time when the then-Milk Men had both Jojo Lastimosa and Paul Alvarez. No way Cardel was going to get a break with those two on the lineup.

Emon74
07-14-2009, 10:18 AM
^ I believe John Cardel went to Alaska at a time when the then-Milk Men had both Jojo Lastimosa and Paul Alvarez. No way Cardel was going to get a break with those two on the lineup.

Paul Alvarez was part of the Alaska lineup in the first conference of 1993 but didnt play and was vocal about wanting out of the team, still Johnedel Cardel couldnt find a right team in the PBA, I think he'd be better off with San Miguel (where he used to play with in the amateurs) around 1995.

Mel
08-26-2009, 02:54 PM
I remember with Paul Alvarez, Jojo Lastimosa, and Cardel that Alaska then had the monicker "Alaska Air Force".

Emon74
03-13-2010, 01:06 PM
it's the 1989 draft class for me...hands-down. ;D

the 1989 draft class has to be the best, and among the 30 aspirants, lima ang hindi na pick dun, and one of those is now head coach, Junel Baculi!

Joescoundrel
06-11-2013, 08:58 AM
PBA Draft Class (including some Direct Draftees and Fil-foreign direct hires) partial list

Valenciano, Cuenco, Ampalayo, Cui, Merced (Samboy Lim, Calma, Teng, Pumaren, Elmer Reyes, Graves, Almario, Ytturi, Dignadice)
Caidic, Solis, Harmon Codinera, Salazar, Anthony Mendoza, Dennis Carbonilla
Tanuan, Magsanoc, Jalmasco, Polistico, Joel Santos (Patrimonio, Lastimosa, Capacio, Codinera)
Paras, Asaytono, Alvarez, Realubit, Romy Dela Rosa, Bobby Jose, Cabahug, Pumaren, Marata, Demegillo, Agustin
Jao, Jun Reyes, Babilonia, Bognot, Villanil, Villarias, Postanes, Esplana, Angeles
Araneta, Hawkins, Quilban, Gayoso, Santamaria, Palad
Meneses, Solomon, Escobar, Ramas, Ravena, Eric Reyes, Sasan, Chuatico, Jabar, BALINGIT, Guanio
Limpot, Pablo, Abarrientos, Lago, Cheng, Cardel, Boyet Fernandez, Bachmann, Racela, Delantes
Locsin, Evangelista, Victoria, Ticzon, Juinio, Castelo, Falcasantos, Hizon, Ong, Naron, Bolado, Jonas Mariano, Belmonte
Espino, Feihl, Duremdes, Chris Jackson, Punzalan, Cariaso, Edmund Reyes, Elmer Lago, Jojo Lim, Bal David, Orquillas, Jaworski,
Aquino, Rodney Santos, Ruben Dela Rosa, Gamboa, Morelos, Peter Martin, Fran
Andy Seigle, Belasco, Webb, Ballesteros, Gabby Cui, Edward Naron, Tonyboy Espinosa
Ildefonso, Castillo, Peek, Encarnacion, Antonio, Calpito, Henry Fernandez, Steven Smith, Jasper Ocampo, Dualan
Alvarado, Robin Mendoza, Erwin Luna, Gahol, Yee, Buenaventura, Allado, Gerard Francisco, Belano (Menk, Taulava, Seigle, Walkvist, Tony Dela Cruz)
Paolo Mendoza, Marc Victoria, Aldeguer, Gumatay, Billones (Raymundo, Tugade, Valenzuela, Torion, Harp, Pennisi)
Miller, Hrabak, Cagouia, Demape, Arigo, Adriano, Ortiguera, Mente, Morano, Tangkay
De Ocampo, Reavis, Omanzie Rodriguez, Calaguio, Se, Noble, Canlas, Ritualo, Avenido, Bajar, Dimaunahan
Cortez, Adducul, Laure, Carey, Cablay, Mamaril, Enrico Villanueva, Alapag, Salvacion, Tubid, Baguio
Alvarez, Yap, Pingris, R. De Ocampo, Thoss, Lopez, Sotto, Omolom, W. Gonzales, Artadi, Wilson
Washington, Cabagnot, Miranda, Salvador, Cardona, Canaleta, Holper, Hubalde, Najorda, Manalo, Fonacier, Bugia
Williams, Santos, Yeo, tenorio, Espinas, Isip, Aban, Bautista
Devance, Eman, Ryan Reyes, Intal, Kramer, Bono, Quinahan, Aljamal, Jonas Villanueva, Arana

Anong draft class ni Angelo "Long" David of FEU? I have this impression dapat 1995 din siya along with Bryant Punzalan.

Joescoundrel
10-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Speaking of draft...

Greg Slaughter applies for PBA rookie draft as Parks keeps mum on plans

September 26, 2013, 05:22 pm

Greg Slaughter is the consensus top pick overall in what should go down as one of the most talented rookie pools seen in the pro league in years.

FORMER Ateneo slotman and many-time national player Greg Slaughter heads the initial cast of applicants for the 2014 PBA Annual Rookie Draft set on November 3 at Robinson’s Place Ermita in Manila.

The 6-11 Slaughter, a key figure in the Blue Eagles’ UAAP championship run the past few years, beat the deadline set for Fil-foreigners on September 12 to become the first of an expected bumper crop of quality big men to adorn next season's draft pool.

Slaughter, also a vital cog in the NLEX Road Warriors’ dominant four-conference championship run in the PBA D-League, is the consensus top pick overall in what should go down as one of the most talented rookie pools seen in the pro league in years.

Two other top prospects - San Sebastian center Ian Sangalang and Letran's Raymund Almazan - have yet to sign up since homegrown players have until October 18 to file their applications.

Another possible No. 1 pick, Bobby Ray Parks of National University, has yet to bare his plans, with his agent Charlie Dy saying the Bulldogs superstar isn't thinking about his draft plans at the moment so he could better focus on his UAAP career.

“Di pa namin iyan (PBA application) nadi-discuss. Gusto niya lang kasing mag-focus muna sa UAAP para di rin siya ma-distract,” Dy told Spin.ph.

Joining Slaughter in the initial draft pool are 6-9 Fil-foreigner Isaac Holstein of Big Chill, 6-3 James Forrester of Arellano, Jett Vidal of the University of Perpetual Help-Rizal, Nate Matute of Jose Rizal University, former Adamson gunner Alex Nuyles, Jen Knuttel and Mike Silungan.

Holstein, a product of West Virginia State University, was part of the Gilas Pilipinas pool that placed sixth in the 2013 Dubai Invitational International Tournament last January.

abcdef
10-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Is this next draft class at least one and a half rounds deep?

Speaking of draft...

Greg Slaughter applies for PBA rookie draft as Parks keeps mum on plans

September 26, 2013, 05:22 pm

Greg Slaughter is the consensus top pick overall in what should go down as one of the most talented rookie pools seen in the pro league in years.

FORMER Ateneo slotman and many-time national player Greg Slaughter heads the initial cast of applicants for the 2014 PBA Annual Rookie Draft set on November 3 at Robinson’s Place Ermita in Manila.

The 6-11 Slaughter, a key figure in the Blue Eagles’ UAAP championship run the past few years, beat the deadline set for Fil-foreigners on September 12 to become the first of an expected bumper crop of quality big men to adorn next season's draft pool.

Slaughter, also a vital cog in the NLEX Road Warriors’ dominant four-conference championship run in the PBA D-League, is the consensus top pick overall in what should go down as one of the most talented rookie pools seen in the pro league in years.

Two other top prospects - San Sebastian center Ian Sangalang and Letran's Raymund Almazan - have yet to sign up since homegrown players have until October 18 to file their applications.

Another possible No. 1 pick, Bobby Ray Parks of National University, has yet to bare his plans, with his agent Charlie Dy saying the Bulldogs superstar isn't thinking about his draft plans at the moment so he could better focus on his UAAP career.

“Di pa namin iyan (PBA application) nadi-discuss. Gusto niya lang kasing mag-focus muna sa UAAP para di rin siya ma-distract,” Dy told Spin.ph.

Joining Slaughter in the initial draft pool are 6-9 Fil-foreigner Isaac Holstein of Big Chill, 6-3 James Forrester of Arellano, Jett Vidal of the University of Perpetual Help-Rizal, Nate Matute of Jose Rizal University, former Adamson gunner Alex Nuyles, Jen Knuttel and Mike Silungan.

Holstein, a product of West Virginia State University, was part of the Gilas Pilipinas pool that placed sixth in the 2013 Dubai Invitational International Tournament last January.

Sam Miguel
10-02-2013, 01:55 PM
^^^ That depends on who the Top 10 are.

Just off the top of my head these are the players (in no particular order) who should go in the first round:

Greg Slaughter
Raymund Almazan
Ian Sangalang
Ray Parks
Garvo Lanete
Jake Pascual
Ronald Pascual
RR Garcia
Kevin Alas
Isaac Holstein

That still leaves these guys available for subsequent rounds of drafting:

Nico Salva
James Forrester
Alex Nuyles
Eric Camson
Dexter Maiguez
Michael Miranda
Jam Cortes
Carlo Lastimosa
Oping Sumalinog
Joshua Webb
Carmelo Afuang
Mike Silungan
Jet Vidal
Nate Matute
Justin Melton
Jeric Teng
Jeric Fortuna
Rob Celiz
Justin Chua
JR Cawaling
Mark Bringas
Arvie Bringas
Chris Camus
Jovet Mendoza
Jeff Viernes

That's 25 guys after the Top 10, and I think at least six or seven of them have PBA-level talent although not quite enough to displace anybody in my Top 10.

We have not even considered any Fil-foreigners or local provincial talents who might make the deadline.

Joescoundrel
10-14-2013, 08:12 AM
Ginebra gets first overall pick in 2013 PBA Draft

By Celest R. Flores

INQUIRER.net

11:49 pm | Friday, October 11th, 2013

MANILA, Philippines—Barangay Ginebra, for the first time in 17 years, will have first pick in the PBA Drookie Draft.

The Kings hit the jackpot on Friday during the Draft Lottery at halftime of the PBA Governors’ Cup finals game one after the no.1 pick fell into the hands of Air21, which Ginebra has rights to.

The first round pick of the Express, which finished with a worst record this 2012 season, was acquired by Ginebra in a trade which involved John Wilson and KG Cañaleta last year.

PBA head statistician Fidel Mangonon said that it will be the Kings’ first no. 1 pick since the well-loved franchise drafted Marlou Aquino in 1996.

Among those highly-touted applicants in this year’s draft, scheduled on November 3, are big men Greg Slaughter and Ian Sangalang.

San Mig Coffee, meanwhile, will pick next after Ginebra as it acquired first round rights from GlobalPort, which drew second overall, in trade involving Josh Urbiztondo.

Joescoundrel
10-18-2013, 10:15 AM
Teng the ultimate target as Ross to be traded to Barako for sixth pick in PBA draft

October 12, 2013, 11:58 am

THERE may not be a reunion for good friends Sol Mercado and Chris Ross at Globalport afterall.

Just a day after acquiring Ross from Meralco in a four-play deal, Globalport has decided to trade the cat-quick Fil-American guard to Barako Bull for the sixth pick overall in the coming PBA rookie draft, a source said.

“A lot of people are saying lugi kami sa trade kahapon, because we traded away our best scorer in Gary David. They’re wrong,” said the source from the Globalport camp.

“If you are going to study carefully, tatlong picks makukuha namin for Gary. Just what we needed to make the team better and younger,” the source added.

On Friday, Globalport dealt David and rookie AJ Mandani to the Meralco Bolts for Ross, seldom-used guard Chris Timberlake plus second-round draft picks in 2016 and 2017.

[For full story, see 'El Granada' sent by Globalport to Meralco in four-player deal]

But the source from the Mikee Romero franchise bared that the transaction was just the tip of the iceberg.

“Tingin mo papayag si Boss Mikee na malugi sa trade?” insisted the Globalport source, who pointed out that with the Ross trade the team will have the sixth, seventh and 11th picks in a talented draft.

And with the sixth pick, the Globalport coaching staff is now looking to tab University of Santo Tomas Tigers star shooter Jeric Teng, who the coaches want to develop into a younger version of David.

Also on the wish list of the Sultan 900 Incorporated squad are draft applicants Nico Salva, Justin Chua, Raymond Almazan and Ronald Pascual, who still has to secure a release from Gilas cadet management.

“Globalport, after the draft, will be a brand-new team capable of becoming a contender for the next five years,” said the source.

Meanwhile, Spin.ph also learned from the same source that Ross might not stay in Barako Bull for long as he will also be used as a trade bait for a legitimate scorer and a steady guard.

Efforts to contact Barako Bull management were unsuccessful at posting time.

Joescoundrel
10-18-2013, 10:19 AM
Top UAAP guards Teng, Garcia join PBA draft

By Celest R. Flores

INQUIRER.net

4:42 pm | Wednesday, October 16th, 2013

MANILA, Philippines — Two of the best guards in the UAAP, after respectable careers in the collegiate division, have decided to take their chances in the pro league.

Far Eastern University’s RR Garcia and University of Santo Tomas’ Jeric Teng both submitted their applications for the PBA Rookie Draft on Wednesday, two days before the deadline.

Barely a week after the heart-breaking defeat in the UAAP finals, the Tigers’ trusty gunner Teng wants to continue his career in the PBA.

The son of PBA great Alvin Teng boosted his draft stock significantly with a tremendous performance in the finals after spending bulk of the elimination round with injury.

“I don’t want to wait for one year pa kasi. Wala masyadong exposure after UAAP,” Teng told INQUIRER.net.

Garcia, meanwhile, cut short his commitment with the national team as part of the cadet squad to make himself available for the draft.

The sly point guard believes he has a bigger chance this year of getting plucked among the pool of talent full of big men.

“Tingin ko kasi mas malaki yung chance ko this year kaysa next year. Ang daming guard next year, ngayon konti lang,” Garcia said.

Tamaraws’ head coach Nash Racela gave former UAAP MVP the advice to push through with his plans to go pro, Garcia said.

He has also sought the permission from the Gilas management, particularly national team mentor Chot Reyes.

“Ready na talaga ako,” Garcia said. “Kaya nung nag-decide ako na [magpa-draft], nagpa-condition agad ako ngayon.”

Joescoundrel
10-21-2013, 09:40 AM
Who is going where in the PBA rookie draft? Here's what coaches, officials say

October 20, 2013, 02:42 pm

THE PBA rookie draft is a good two weeks away, but this early teams are already poring over their respective wish lists in an 84-deep pool that should yield a couple of future superstars.

Spin.ph took a quick poll among the coaches and officials and here's the result.

The first three picks are more or less settled, with Barangay Ginebra bent on using the No. 1 pick overall on seven-footer Greg Slaughter, San Mig set to settle for Ian Sangalang if Slaughter is not available, and Rain or Shine keen to tab the best big man available after the two.

That should be Letran star Raymond Almazan, although Rain or Shine has two more big decisions to make in the draft since the Painters also own the ninth pick overall as well as the second pick of the second round of the November 3 draft which comes at 12th overall.

Rain or Shine team manager Boy Lapid said the ballclub is willing to listen to trade offers for the ninth pick but - if no ideal deal comes its way - assistant coach Caloy Garcia said they will most likely gun for the best shooter available at that point.

“Ok kami to trade that … depende kung sino (ang kapalit) or papaano,” said Lapid.

Garcia said the Painters would love to have Jeric Teng, RR Garcia, or Terrence Romeo but doubts if any of the three would still be available at No. 9. No wonder he regrets that Gilas cadet and former San Sebastian gunner Ronald Pascual opted not to join the draft.

“Gusto sana namin 'yung tipong Jeric Teng, RR Garcia at Terrence Romeo … kaso malabo nang umabot sa ninth (pick) 'yun … masyado nang malalim,” said Garcia.

“Gusto namin talaga isang shooter na anytime pwedeng pumutok … Sayang nga hindi nagpa-draft si Ronald Pascual.”

Garcia said former Ateneo back-up center Justine Chua is also on the team's radar.

Barako Bull should have the biggest decisions to make on Draft Day as it owns the fourth, fifth, and sixth picks overall - that is, assuming the Energy Cola change their mind on a planned trade with Globalport for the No. 6 selection.

Head coach Bong Ramos admit Teng, Garcia, and Romeo are on their wish list, although there are players like former Ateneo star Nico Salva who may also figure in the equation.

“Hindi pa kasi kami nag-meeting pero syempre kung sino ang best available talent. Pero nasa radar namin yung alin sa tatlong guards na 'yun,” said Ramos.

Globalport should be the most interested spectator when Barako Bull makes its decisions on the fourth to sixth picks since these would dictate what the Batang Pier would do with the No. 7 pick.

Coach Junel Baculi is hoping the team could get someone who can fill the shoes left by veteran gunner Gary David, who Globalport sent to Meralco in a three-team trade a week ago.

“Kailangan namin ng pamalit kay Gary David. Kung hindi man sa galing … kailangan 'yung laki dapat hindi nalalayo. So depende sa Barako ang draft namin,” said Baculi.

Former UST star Teng and reigning UAAP MVP Ateneo should fit the profile, although Baculi also revealed his keen interest in Fil-Canadian James Forrester.

The Alaska Aces are open to trading the eighth pick overall. But if the team finds no takers, it will most likely look for someone who can play back-up to starting guard JV Casio.

“Gusto sana naming i-trade eh kaso wala pang taker. Pero kung may gusto pa dyan … open pa rin siguro kami to talk,” said Louie Alas, Alaska's assistant coach.

“Pero ang gusto namin 'yung malaking perimeter shooter,” added the multi-titled amateur coach while also expressing interest in Forrester.

Meanwhile, San Mig governor Rene Pardo said the situation is still fluid with regards to the 10th and last pick of the first round, the decision likely to be dictated by the choices of the teams picking ahead of them.

“Masyado nang malalim 'yun. Pero just the same … we’d go for the best available talent,” he said.

Still, San Mig should still have plenty to pick from at No. 10 overall in a record draft pool that coaches insist will yield plenty of blue-chip prospects deep into the second round.

Other players expected to go early are 6-9 Fil-Am Isaac Holstein, former Adamson forward Alex Nuyles, and former UST Tigers starting guard Jeric Fortuna.

Also with a shot at landing a spot in the league next season are former FEU guard Jens Knuttel and fellow Tamaraws JR Cawaling and Mark Bringas, Ateneo veteran Ryan Buenafe and centers Carlo Sumalinog and John Paul Erram, De La Salle guard LA Revilla, Sam Marata (DLSU/UP), Carlo Lastimosa (Colleg of St. Benilde) and Blackwater Sports streak shooter Rob Celiz.

Here is the draft order for the first and second rounds of the draft as of 5 p.m., October 19, 2013.

FIRST ROUND:

1. Brgy. Ginebra San Miguel

2. San Mig Coffee Mixers

3. Rain or Shine Elastopainters

4. Barako Bull Energy Cola

5. Barako Bull Energy Cola

6. Barako Bull Energy Cola

7. Globalport Batang Pier

8. Alaska Aces

9. Rain or Shine Elastopainters

10. San Mig Coffee Mixers

SECOND ROUND:

11. Globalport Batang Pier

12. Rain or Shine Elastopainters

13. San Mig Coffee Mixers

14. Barako Bull Energy Cola

15. Air 21 Express*

16. Alaska Aces*

17. Talk n’ Text Tropang Texters

18. Alaska Aces

19. Rain or Shine Elastopainters

20. Barako Bull Energy Cola

*Alaska and Air 21 can change places prior to an earlier trade agreement

Joescoundrel
10-21-2013, 09:41 AM
Late entries of Romeo and Co. won't sway Guiao into going small with No. 3 draft pick

October 18, 2013, 06:42 pm

DESPITE the last-minute surge of high-quality guards in the upcoming PBA Rookie Draft, Rain or Shine coach Yeng Guiao remains firm in his bid to upgrade the team’s frontline by drafting a big man.

The Elasto Painters own the third and ninth picks in the November 3 event, but are so far keeping their choices close to their chest as the team’s selections depend on which players the teams preceding them will pick.

“At this point, it’s really hard to say who we will pick because even the No. 3 is not sure for now because we don’t know who will be selected,” Guiao told Spin.ph as he monitors the rookie applicants who tried to beat the 5 p.m. deadline on Friday.

Guiao stressed the need to reinforce Rain or Shine’s frontline in the aftermath of the team’s failure to defend its Governors Cup crown - and the last-minute applications of blue-chip prospects RR Garcia, Terrence Romeo, and Jeric Teng won't sway him from that stand.

The Elasto Painters bowed to a souped-up Petron Blaze side in their best-of-five semifinals, 3-1, which saw Boosters rookie big man June Mar Fajardo dominate inside.

“Basta sa amin, ang gusto namin eh malaki,” said Guiao, whose team is actually leaning on lanky Letran slotman Raymund Almazan, should Barangay Ginebra make Gregory Slaughter the top overall pick and San Mig Coffee selects Ian Sangalang at No. 2 as projected.

At the same time, Guiao said should a high-quality rookie guard is still available by the ninth pick, the fiery mentor and Pampanga congressman said the Elasto Painters are also open to the idea of drafting one.

“Masasabi ko lang, depende kung quality guard kasi siyempre, loaded na kami ng guwardiya. Medyo mahirap din kasing i-predict at that point because we’re drafting deep in the first round after ng No. 3,” he added.

Should Barako Bull decide to tab UAAP standouts Garcia, Teng or Romeo, Rain or Shine still have other potential picks to choose from in Arellano’s James Forrester and former Ateneo standouts Nico Salva and Ryan Buenafe.

So far, Rain or Shine already has former Rookie of the Year Paul Lee, and Gabe Norwood, Tyrone Tang, Chris Tiu, and Ryan Arana.

The official draft order will have Ginebra picking first followed by San Mig Coffee and Rain or Shine. Barako Bull then selects from fourth to sixth, after which Globalport takes its turn, then Alaska, Rain or Shine, and San Mig Coffee.

Joescoundrel
10-21-2013, 09:42 AM
Guiao sizes up prospects: Almazan is PBA material, Sangalang the best scorer

October 8, 2013, 05:43 pm

A DAY after Rain or Shine was dethroned as PBA Governors Cup champion, coach Yeng Guiao said picking a big man in next month’s Rookie Draft is a no-brainer especially with the way his team was manhandled by a Petron side led by rookie behemoth June Mar Fajardo.

With a chance to pick at No. 3 overall, Guiao said the Elasto Painters are dead-set on picking the best big man available in the draft pool to shore up their frontline currently manned by undersized centers Beau Belga and JR Quinahan.

“All teams look for big men, and there are available talents for this (year’s) draft, so it’s nothing unique or special for us. Even more for us, dahil our bigs are not that big, so we need size in our frontline,” Guiao told Spin.ph in the aftermath of Rain or Shine’s 3-1 loss in the semis to Petron on Monday night.

Air21 and Globalport, two teams expected to figure in this year’s lottery, will vie for the coveted top two picks although both the Express and the Batang Pier won’t get the chance to dip their hands in the expected bumper crop of rookies in the November 3 draft.

The Air21 pick is owned by Barangay Ginebra, owing to a previous player transaction, while Globalport already yielded its pick to San Mig Coffee.

Ginebra board representative Robert Non recently told Spin.ph the opportunity to draft a seven-footer like Greg Slaughter is hard to pass up, although sources said coaches of the league's most popular ballclub have their eyes set on the versatile Ian Sangalang.

Whichever way the first teams go, Rain or Shine will have a shot at either Slaughter, Sangalang, or 6-7 Letran star Raymund Almazan.

Guiao said he has had a chance to size up Almazan’s capabilities since the reed-thin slotman has joined Rain or Shine’s practice several times this year.

“Almazan is PBA material. Siguro, he will just need to get used to (playing in the PBA) dahil manipis ang frame niya so before he really gets effective, he’s gonna have to add a few more pounds, bulk up, and get used to the physicality,” said the fiery Elasto Painters mentor.

"Pero nakikita naman namin na di naman siya mahihirapan masyado."

Guiao said the 6-foot-7 Sangalang is also another attractive choice.

“To us, it doesn’t matter whether he’s (Sangalang) a four (power forward) or five (center). We have a use for a four or a five. He’s a smart player with a nice scoring touch,” he said.

Guiao said watching Sangalang play reminds him of legendary big man Ramon Fernandez, one of only two four-time MVPs in the pro league.

“Ang naalala ko parang si Ramon Fernandez, kasi matalino siya (Sangalang), marunong dumiskarte, and he doesn’t get rattled. Pero tingin ko rin, kailangan masanay sa banggaan at kailangan magpalaki ng katawan, pero among all the bigs, he’s the best scorer,” added Guiao.

Joescoundrel
10-21-2013, 09:44 AM
Eagles fly the coop as Ryan Buenafe, Erram join PBA rookie draft pool

October 18, 2013, 02:54 pm

RYAN Buenafe has applied for the PBA rookie draft after ending his checkered collegiate career with the Ateneo Blue Eagles in the UAAP.

Buenafe applied for the draft on Thursday, joining a long list of college players who immediately jumped to the pros after seeing action in Season 76 of the UAAP that includes RR Garcia of Far Eastern University and Jeric Teng of University of Santo Tomas.

FEU star Terrence Romeo is also mulling joining the draft as of posting time.

Another Ateneo stalwart, JP Erram, also applied for the draft, joining consensus top pick overall Greg Slaughter, Nico Salva, and Buenafe among the former Blue Eagles stars in a talented draft pool.

Buenafe was a key player in the Blue Eagles’ title run, winning four titles from 2008 to 2010 and in 2012. He won the Finals Most Valuable Player award in 2010 when Ateneo captured the crown at the expense of Far Eastern University in the Finals.

The small forward rounded out his five-year UAAP career by averaging 11.1 points, 8.2 rebounds, and 3.3 assists for the Blue Eagles in Season 76, where the team failed to make the Final Four.

Buenafe, who had also won titles with San Sebastian high school in the NCAA, is looking to join his cousin Ronjay in the PBA. Ronjay, a former Emilio Aguinaldo College star, is currently playing with Barako Bull.

Joescoundrel
10-21-2013, 09:52 AM
Last-minute arrival of Romeo, Garcia turns Globalport's No. 7 pick into gold

October 18, 2013, 07:13 pm

A SOLID back-up to Sol Mercado, or a quality player to fill the spot vacated by the traded Gary David.

Globalport is currently looking at either prospect as the team studies who to pick with the No. 7 pick overall in the PBA annual rookie draft two weeks from now.

Globalport coach Junel Baculi was thrilled to know Far Eastern University stars RR Garcia and Terrence Romeo, along with University of Santo Tomas shooting guard Jeric Teng have joined this year’s draft pool.

“That’s good news sa amin, na magpa-draft` yung tatlo. Para sa amin kasi, the more quality players in the draft, the better the chances we have na makuha ang isa sa kanila,” Baculi told Spin.ph.

The Globalport coach said team owner Mikee Romero has already given out marching orders for him to get the best available talent once team takes its turn to pick at seventh in the first round.

“Baka lumusot ang isa sa kanila (among Garcia, Romeo or Teng), siyempre, kukunin namin 'yun. If RR is there, we’ll get him or if Terrence or Jeric are still available, kukunin namin yun,” he added.

Baculi believes the No. 7 is still high enough to tab a high-quality guard.

“Kasi sa ngayon, as we continue to rebuild, we are looking for a backup point guard ni Sol Mercado, or even a guard na puwede rin namang makasabay ni Sol sa laro, at the same time, puwede ring mag-filln sa void ni Gary,” he explained.

The high-scoring David was shipped to Meralco last week along with rookie guard AJ Mandani in exchange for Fil-Am guard Chris Ross, Chris Timberlake, and two future second-round draft picks.

Ross’ status remains uncertain, though, pending Globalport management’s decision on whether to trade him again to another team or not during an expected busy offseason.

Sam Miguel
10-24-2013, 02:28 PM
These are the players who made the deadline for draft applications. Some of the listed heights are padded I am sure.

1. ALMAZAN, Raymond C. Letran Aug 2, 1989 Bataan 6’7” 195 C
2. APINAN, Jeckster A. JRU Jan. 9, 1987 Roxas City, Capiz 6’5” 190 F
3. BARONDA, Janno Perpetual Help Apr 23, 1988 Paranaque 6’2” 170 G
4. BERRY, Mark NU Nov 3, 1986 Tacloban City 6-4 190 F
5. BONGAT, Jeffrey M. UPH-Cavite Mar 29, 1987 Cavite 6’0” G
6. BRINGAS, Mark P. FEU Apr 27, 1988 Orani, Bataan 6’4” 210 C/F
7. BUENAFE, Ryan Clarence Ateneo De Manila Feb 1, 1990 Manila 6’2” 225 G
8. BULANGIS, Ildefonso Jr. JRU Mar 15, 1986 Cebu City 5’-10” 170 G
9. CALOMOT, Michael PCU Apr 27, 1987 San Juan 5’-10” 160 G
10. CAMSON, Eric Adamson Jun 12, 1990 Lemery, Batangas 6’4” 180 F
11. CARAM, Antonio Jose H. San Beda Jan 14, 1991 Iloilo City 5’8” 150 G
12. CAWALING, Ricardo Jr. FEU Aug 15, 1987 Cagayan de Oro 6’4” 188 G
13. CELIZ, Robby Cruz NU Sep 7, 1988 Cadiz City, Negros Occidental 6’4” 208 F
14. CHIEN, Jumel Louie Mapua Aug 13, 1988 Negros Occ. 5’-11” 185 G
15. CHUA, Justin Shawn Rodriguez Ateneo De Manila Jul 13, 1989 Manila 6’5” 210 C
16. CHUA, Randolph St. Benilde May 28, 1986 Manila 5’9” 180 G
17. COLLADO, Jessie Lyceum Subic Dec 3, 1985 Pampanga 6’4” 230 G/F
18. CORDERO, Darwin Southern City Coll. Jun 8, 1986 Puerto Princesa 5’10” 164 G
19. CUAN, Japs UST Apr 27, 1985 Pasig 5’8” G
20. CUSTODIO, Jopher A. MLQU Apr 2, 1987 Pangasinan 6’2” 207 G
21. DELA SERNA, Francis P. Univ of San Carlos (Cebu) Jul 27, 1990 Makati City 6’4” 190 F
22. DELGADO, Franz San Sebastian Dec 13, 1984 Socorro, Oriental Mindoro 5’10” G
23. DE LOS TRINOS, Ryeon UM Oct 19, 1985 San Mateo, Isabela 6’0” 180 G
24. ECHANE, Ezekiel Eric JRU Jun 7, 1985 Legaspi, Albay 6’3” 180 F
25. EGUILOS, Jaymo FEU Aug 27, 1986 Manaoag, Pangasinan 6’6” 190 D-League C/F
26. ERRAM, JP Ateneo De Manila Jul 7, 1989 Makati City 6’7” 230 C
27. EXCIMINIANO, Christopher FEU Nov 17, 1988 Olongapo 6’1” G
28. FERRER, John Michael San Beda – Alabang Mar 6, 1987 Makati 6’1” 190 G
29. FORRESTER, James P. Arellano Sep 3, 1989 Toronto, Canada 6’2” 200 G/F
30. FORTUNA, Jeric UST Nov 25, 1991 Paranaque 5’8” 160 G
31. GARCIA, Ryan Roose B. FEU Jan 12, 1990 Zamboanga City 5’11" 165 G
32. GLORIOSO, Jerryvi Santos RTU / CEU Aug. 20, 1985 Bulacan 5’11” 170 G
33. GONZALES, John FEU May 11, 1985 Manila 6’3” 195 G
34. GUEVARRA, Ronoel Jr. St. Francis of Assisi Jul 17, 1987 Manila 5’10” 170 G
35. HOLSTEIN, Isaac J. West Virginia State Univ. Sep 7, 1987 West Virginia 6’9” 210 C
36. IGNACIO, Janhell Justin Trinity Apr 27, 1991 Manila 5’10” 165 G
37. ILAGAN, Raymund St. Francis of Assisi Mar 20, 1986 Bacolod City 6’3” 190 F
38. INGCO, Angelo Lance M. San Beda Jan 1, 1987 Lipa, Batangas 5’8” 150 G
39. KNUTTEL, Jens FEU Sep 17, 1989 Heidelberg, Germany 5’11” 162 G
40. LANSANG, Ralph John PCU Nov. 2, 1986 Pampanga 6’4” F
41. LASTIMOSA, Carlo Dan St. Benilde Sep 3, 1990 CDO 6’0” 180 G
42. LOPEZ, Mark UP Jul 7, 1990 San Juan City 6’0” 185 G
43. LOPEZ, John JRU Aug 19, 1988 Pateros 6’4” 180 F
44. MACASAET, Reigner F. UM Sep 25, 1987 Manila G
45. MACONOCIDO, Raymond San Sebastian Apr 10, 1986 Caltrava, Negros Occidental 5’11” 170 G
46. MALINAO, Regilito UM Sep 26, 1986 Pandi, Bulacan 6’3” 180 F
47. MARATA, Joseph UP Jun 28, 1991 Quezon City 6’2” 187 G
48. MATUTE, Nathaniel JRU Feb 19, 1988 Las Vegas 6’0” 183 G
49. MELTON, Justin Mt. Olive College Apr 7, 1987 Angeles, Pampanga 5’11” 165 G
50. MONTECASTRO, Anjelo A. UP Mar 20, 1989 Mandaluyong City 6’1” 180 G
51. MONTE, Marlon PUP Aug 24, 1986 Guiguinto, Bulacan 5’11” 170 G
52. MONTILLA, Mark Universal College Oct. 8, 1986 Las Pinas 6’1” 175 G
53. NAJORDA, Dave S. San Sebastian Mar 16, 1986 San Nicolas, Ilocos Norte 6’5” 190 F
54. NUYLES, Alex Adamson Univ. Jul 25, 1989 Camalig Albay 6’2” 180 F
55. PADILLA, Alvin C. UP Jan 10, 1988 Quezon City 6’2” 189 D-League G
56. PANGILINAN, Mark St. Clare Nov 3, 1986 Caloocan 6’1” 176 G/F
57. PARALA, Michael Mapua Mar 4, 1988 Calamba, Laguna 6’5" 195 C/F
58. PAYOYO, Paul Jordan Trinity Univ. of Asia Nov. 19, 1989 Pampanga 5'10” 160 G
59. POLIGRATES, Eliud SWU Nov 29, 1986 Bagacawan, Mercedes Poro, Cebu 6’0” 190 lbs G
60. RAMISES, Rodel Mapua Jan 14, 1988 Davao 5’11” 160 G
61. REVILLA, LA DLSU Nov. 30, 1989 Bacolod 5’8" 150 G
62. RIVERA, Larry A. Trinity Aug 2, 1991 Bukidnon 5’11” 165 G
63. RODRIGUEZ, Gayford UV Jun 7, 1985 Cebu City 6’3” 198 G
64. ROMEO, Terrence Bill FEU Mar. 16, 1992 Manila 5’11” 175 G
65. ROMERA, Kliff Richard PUP Sep 19, 1985 Oriental Mindoro 6’1” 160 G
66. SALVA, Nicolas Raymond J. Ateneo De Manila Mar 8, 1990 Quezon City 6’4” 195 F
67. SAÑGA, Paul FEU Apr 21, 1987 Manila 6’4” 178 F
68. SANGALANG, Ian San Sebastian Dec. 20, 1991 Lubao, Pampanga 6’7” 220 C
69. SANGUYO, Justin Letran Sep 11, 1990 Manila 5’11” 185 G
70. SILUNGAN, Michael J. UP May 24, 1988 Chicago, Ill 6’3” 190 G/F
71. SLAUGHTER, Gregory William Ateneo De Manila May 19, 1988 Ohio 7’0” 245 C
72. SUMALINOG, Christopher Lou D. Ateneo De Manila Jul 11, 1989 Cebu City 6’3” 185 G/F
73. TAGARDA, Lucas UE Jul 23, 1987 CDO 5’-11” 170 G
74. TENEQUITO, Carlos UST Jul 19, 1985 Manila 6’1” 180 G
75. TENG, Jeric UST Mar 18, 1991 Manila 6’2” 185 G
76. TERSO, Joseph NU May 18, 1990 Manila 5’10” 160 G
77. TINTE, Vince UST Apr 21, 1990 Baguio 6’7” 190 C/F
78. USITA, John M. Shoreline Community Coll. Feb. 2, 1985 California 6’8” 255 C
79. VIDAL, Jet Perpetual Help Jun 14, 1989 Manila 6’0” 185 G
80. VIERNES, Jeff Alvin St. Clare May 10, 1989 Isabela 5’7” 140 G
81. VIJANDRE, John DLSU Jan 26, 1986 Taguig City 6’0” 175 G
82. VILLAHERMOSA, Jess Mar San Beda Mar 4, 1989 Valencia City 6’0” 170 G
83. VILLARIAS, Byron JRU Feb 25, 1988 Bacolod City 6’0” 165 G
84. WEBB, Joshua A. DLSU Nov. 14, 1989 Manila 6’2” F
85. YNION, Raffy Perpetual Help Oct 17, 1987 Antique 6’3” 235 F

Joescoundrel
10-27-2013, 11:28 AM
Barako rebuilding with college stars

Energy tryout for Teng, Romeo, Garcia

By Musong R. Castillo

Philippine Daily Inquirer

1:07 am | Saturday, October 26th, 2013

BARAKO Bull can build a younger core after the PBA Rookie Draft scheduled Nov. 3 at Robinsons Place in Manila.

With one of the most experienced and oldest nuclei in the league, the Energy will have three picks in the first round— the fourth to sixth choices overall— which they can use to grab the finest talent available and build up for the future.

With Greg Slaughter and Ian Sangalang expected to be the first two choices by Barangay Ginebra and San Mig Coffee, respectively, and Rain or Shine seriously going for Raymond Almazan, Barako Bull consultant Rajko Toroman said they will go for whoever is left in the deep pool.

In fact, Toroman invited several collegiate standouts to a recent series of tryouts, including Santo Tomas gunner Jeric Teng and Far Eastern’s Terrence Romeo and RR Garcia.

“We have seen the rookies; we have a good bunch of players in the Draft this year,” said Toroman.

Also showing his wares was former Ateneo ace Nico Salva, an undersized power forward who will surely go high in the proceedings.

“We don’t have a decision yet, maybe a day before the Draft,” said Toroman. “But definitely we’ll get the best available talent. A lot of them can really be an option for us. At least 10 to 12 players are strongly considered as first-round picks.”

Toroman called the shots in the last two conferences for the Energy and steered the squad to the quarterfinals of the Governors’ Cup.

Danny Seigle, Mick Pennisi, Enrico Villanueva and several other standouts have obviously seen better years in the league, yet, they continued to carry the fight for the Energy.

One position that Toroman wants to fill is the point guard spot and he is looking for a player who can share quarterbacking chores with Eman Monfort.

Meanwhile, Talk ‘N Text enters the homestretch of its training stint in Las Vegas where former MVP Kelly Williams rejoined the team after a year’s absence.

The 6-foot-7 Williams, who won the award while with Sta. Lucia, was forced into premature retirement at the end of last season because of a very rare blood disease. Williams will surely be a big factor for the Texters when the Philippine Cup ushers in the league’s 39th Season on Nov. 17.

The Tropang Texters, who won the Philippine Cup for a third straight time this season, are in the Impact Basketball Camp that specializes in physical conditioning and skills training.

They will fly in back to Manila on Nov. 7.

Talk ‘N Text has been the most dominant team in the last five years, but the Texters sputtered in their last tournament, the Governors’ Cup, after lending four of their superstars to the Gilas Pilipinas program.

Jimmy Alapag, Jason Castro, Ranidel de Ocampo and Larry Fonacier rejoined the Texters close to the halfway point of the eliminations, qualifying in the bottom half of the draw but failing to advance past the quarterfinals.

In the Commissioner’s Cup, the Texters exited in the Final Four after losing in the rubber match to Barangay Ginebra.

Joescoundrel
10-29-2013, 08:26 AM
Unknown to fans but idolized by peers, Cordero tipped to be a surprise in draft

October 28, 2013, 02:04 pm

MOST fans have not seen or heard about him, but this draft hopeful has been an inspiration and an idol to some big names in the rookie pool.

His name? Darwin Cordero.

The 5-foot-10 journeyman may be a nobody to most fans, but he was idolized by fellow Zamboangueno RR Garcia and admired by batchmates like Mark Barroca.

“Idolo ko talaga si Darwin nung bata pa ako. College siya noon eh, high school ako. Pinapanood ko talaga mga laro niya noon,” said Garcia, the former UAAP MVP out of Far Eastern University.

“Dunker po yun, magaling mag dunk saka may perimeter (shooting),” added Garcia, who bared that he even used to mimic the moves of Cordero as he polished his own game.

The 26-year old spitifire used to be the star player of South City Colleges in Zamboanga, where he used to play with PBA guards Mark Barroca and Rudy Lingganay.

He was recruited by some UAAP and NCAA teams, but he never got the chance to show his wares in the Big City as he felt homesick in Manila and decided to stay put in Zamboanga.

“Kukunin na dapat yan ng UE Red Warriors noon eh. Kasabay nila Rudy, kaso nga bata pa talaga isip niya noon. Nainip. Hindi makalayo sa mga magulang,” said well-known Zamboanga events organizer Reynaldo Navarro.

Cordero admitted he couldn't bear to be away from his family during that time.

“Hindi ko po kasi talaga kayang malayo sa pamilya ko noon eh. Na-homesick po talaga ako,” said Cordero, who eventually found himself touring the country with different ballclubs.

“Naglaro po ako sa Team Pacquiao. Matagal rin po akong nawala sa Zamboanga, mga two years din po yun. Kaya nasanay na rin po ako. Tumatawag tawag na lang sa mga parents ko pagnami-miss sila,” said the bachelor.

Like Garcia, San Mig star guard Barroca feels Cordero can cut it in the pro ranks.

“Ayos 'yan, matalino ang laro niyan. Magaling 'yan. Magaling. Nung nakakalaro ko 'yan dati dos at tres laro niya. Pero magaling mag handle ng bola,” said Barroca.

“May shooting 'yan. Saka mataas tumalon. Exciting player yan, nagda-dunk,” Barroca added.

Garcia said he sees Cordero as a smaller version of Gary David.

“Parang maliit po na Gary David yan na may dunk. Dunker po yan. Tingin ko jackpot po team na makakakuha dyan,” said Garcia.

Even before the PBA rookie camp on Monday, Cordero has been invited for tryouts by the Globalport Batang Pier and the Alaska Aces, where he got good reviews from coaches.

“Alam mo nagulat ako dyan. Ang galing na bata,” said Alaska assistant coach Louie Alas. "Point guard yan. Pwedeng sleeper 'yan. Natitiyak ko na may potensyal.

"Mabigyan lang ng tamang break at disciplined basketball.”

Joescoundrel
10-29-2013, 08:37 AM
Stats confirm Slaughter as No. 1 prospect

By Roy Luarca

9:38 pm | Monday, October 28th, 2013

Greg Slaughter towered over the other PBA Rookie Draft applicants yesterday, and it’s not just because of his height.

Putting his 6-foot-11 5/8 frame and albatross-like wingspan (85 inches) to good use, the former Ateneo stalwart and sure No. 1 pick also emerged with the highest reach (11 feet 6 inches) and the most 100-pound bench press (40) among the 77 hopefuls who were measured and strength-tested at Hoops Center in Mandaluyong City.

Benefiting from a month-long training in the United States, the 258 lb Slaughter showed his worth as top draft prospect by doing 50 situps, 62 pushups and 18 pullups during the biometrics testing of the record 85 applicants.

Barangay Ginebra will pick first during the PBA Draft on Nov. 3 at Robinsons Midtown in Manila followed by San Mig Coffee and Rain or Shine.

Expected to go to the Mixers is 6-5 5/8 Ian Sangalang, the 2012 NCAA MVP who led San Sebastian to the title that year.

The versatile Sangalang posted a 10-foot-10 vertical reach.

Rain or Shine is expected to make 6-7 3/4 Reymond Almazan of Letran as the No. 3 draftee. Almazan owns a 10-foot-11 reach.

Other top performers yesterday were 6-3 1/4 Paul Joseph Sanga, runaway winner in the situps category with 533.

Springy Justin Brian Melton did the most pushups with 104. He has an 11-foot-4 reach despite being only 5-9 5/8.

Mark Anthony Lopez topped the pullups contest with 53.

Others who sparkled were 6-7 1/4 Isaac Holstein, who matched Slaughter’s 11-foot-6 effort on his second attempt.

Fil-Hawaiian Maika Usita turned out to be the heaviest at 301 lb on a 6-7 frame.

Far Eastern University stalwart and reigning UAAP MVP Terrence Romeo was measured at 5-9 1/2, the same as his backcourt partner RR Garcia, the 2010 UAAP MVP.

Gunner Jeric Teng, who shone for University of Santo Tomas, was listed at 6-0 5/8.

Barako Bull will have the No. 4 and 5 picks and reports said coach Rajko Toroman is keen on Romeo, Garcia and Teng, with Arellano U 6-1 3/4 high-flyer James Forrester also on his radar.

Sam Miguel
11-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Big Greg Gin Kings’ top draftee

Surprise choices complete annual PBA rookie ritual

By Musong R. Castillo

10:42 pm | Sunday, November 3rd, 2013

The first three picks in the Annual PBA Rookie Draft went according to expectations, then surprise selections dominated the rest of the proceedings before a mammoth crowd at Robinsons Place in Manila.

Greg Slaughter, measured at 6 feet 11 5/8 inches, went to Barangay Ginebra as the No. 1 overall pick before San Mig Coffee made former NCAA MVP Ian Sangalang (6-5 5/8) as the second choice and Rain or Shine tabbed Letran ace Raymond Almazan (6-7 3/4) as the third selection.

“It’s still surreal, I still can’t believe I am with Ginebra,” said Slaughter after stepping off the stage to chants of ‘Ginebra! Ginebra!’ from the crowd. “My focus right now is to help the team win a championship.”

While the teams that owned the first three picks beefed up and got younger, the veterans-laden Barako Bull traded the next three selections and got older and weaker—providing the first unexpected twist in the ceremonies.

The Energy have been giving up draft rights and potential superstars ever since rumors of their disbandment circulated a few years back. Yesterday, Barako Bull again passed up the chance to infuse young blood into its aging nucleus.

James Forrester became the fourth choice by the Gin Kings, who gave up former Rookie of the Year Rico Maierhofer and Willie Wilson to the Energy.

Barako Bull then yielded the No. 5 pick to Petron Blaze, which dealt it away to Globalport, which in turn selected Terrence Romeo, the reigning UAAP MVP with Far Eastern University, in exchange for Yousef Taha.

Globalport also snagged the sixth overall pick by giving Denok Miranda to the Energy, with the Batang Pier tapping Ryan Roose Garcia, another former Tamaraw and ex-UAAP MVP.

With the natural seventh selection, the Batang Pier then added ceiling by choosing 6-foot-9 Filipino-American Isaac Holstein.

“Did we score a coup?” Globalport Mikee Romero, whose squad picked up seven rookies, asked the Inquirer in jest. “I do hope that we were able to strengthen our roster.”

Alaska, picking eighth, also took a gamble on former Ateneo gunner Ryan Buenafe before the Elasto Painters selected Alex Nuyles, the athletic ex-Adamson gunslinger who was out of action in the recent UAAP season because of a shoulder injury.

Justin Chua, one of six former Blue Eagles in the pool, rounded out the first-round proceedings after being selected 10th overall by the Mixers, the newly crowned Governors’ Cup champions.

Surprisingly going in the second round were five-time UAAP champion Nico Salva of Ateneo, snagged 11th overall by Globalport, and Jeric Teng, the former Santo Tomas ace, who was selected next by the Painters.

Original Gilas Pilipinas member JR Cawaling went 30th overall to San Mig Coffee, which seemed bent on adding ceiling and beef to its frontline.

Teams have five days starting today to give their selectees pay offers before the rookies become free agents. The maximum offer that a rookie can get is P150,000 a month.

Hostilities went well into the seventh round with a total of 44 out of the 79 aspirants picked. Those who weren’t fortunate enough to land a spot yesterday can still try out for other teams.

Sam Miguel
11-04-2013, 10:00 AM
PBA Draft: Slaughter goes to Ginebra; Romeo, Garcia to GlobalPort

By Celest R. Flores

INQUIRER.net

4:26 pm | Sunday, November 3rd, 2013

MANILA, Philippines — As expected, Barangay Ginebra selected towering center Greg Slaughter as the number one pick in the 2013 PBA Draft to lead the 44 out of 79 rookie hopefuls who got picked on Sunday.

The seven-foot Slaughter, the tallest player in the aspirants’ pool, is the Kings’ first top overall pick since 1996.

Slaughter, who suited up for Ateneo in college and also practiced with the national team, has been working out with the league’s crowd-favorite squad even before draft day.

Meanwhile, there were no surprises in the second and third picks as San Mig Coffee picked former San Sebastian stalwart Ian Sangalang before Rain or Shine tabbed soon-to-be-named NCAA most Valuable Player Raymond Almazan from Letran at third.

Barako Bull traded its fourth pick to Ginebra in exchange for Rico Maierhoffer and Willie Wilson. The Kings, meanwhile, selected Fil-Canadian James Forrester from Arellano.

3rd pick from Rain or Shine Elasto Painters – Raymond Almazan. PHOTO by Nuki Sabio/PBA IMAGES

The Energy had other plans for their fifth pick as they traded the rights to Petron for Mark Isip and Magi Sison. The Boosters, then, sent the pick to the GlobalPort Batang Pier for Yousef Taha.

The Batang Pier then opted for reigning UAAP MVP Terrence Romeo from Far Eastern University.

GlobalPort also got the Energy’s sixth pick in exchange for veteran guard Denok Miranda, then selected another Tamaraw and former UAAP MVP RR Garcia.

The Batang Pier, after making it to the quarterfinals for the first time in their young franchise history, got another rookie in Isaac Holstein at seventh pick.

Ryan Buenafe, the Blue Eagles’ heady forward who even missed the PBA Biometrics but later on completed the requirement, was picked by Alaska at eight in a surprising move.

Former Adamson high-leaping forward Alex Nuyles, who injured his shoulder and sat out his last playing in the UAAP two years ago, joined fellow draftee Almazan in Rain or Shine.

The Mixers, meanwhile, went for Justin Chua, a big man with a sweet touch from the perimeter, to close out the first round of the draft.

4th pick from Brgy. Ginebra San Miguel – James Forrester. PBA IMAGE by Nuki Sabio

The record-number of rookie hopefuls attended the drafting festivities at the Activity Center of Robinson’s Place Midtown in Manila.

In the second round, GlobalPort opened with former Blue Eagle Nico Salva at 11th pick, while the Elastopainters selected University of Santo Tomas’ hero Jeric Teng at 12th.

Fil-American guard Justine Melton, who impressed in the PBA Biometrics last Monday by showing his sheer athleticism, went to San Mig Coffee at 13th pick.

For Energy’s first pick of the night, they selected former Tiger and champion guard for San Miguel in the Asean Basketball League Jeric Fortuna.

Lanky big Poy Erram, meanwhile, reunites with former college coach Norman Black in Talk N’ Text, which got the fifth pick in the second round from the Aces.

Air21 and Talk N’ Text tabbed forwards Eric Camson and Robbie Celiz, who both shone with different champion teams in the PBA D-League.

Another Tamaraw in Chris Exciminiano, meanwhile, went to Alaska.

Little-known Gayford Rodriguez, who played for University of Visayas in Cesafi, was selected by Rain or Shine while athletic guard Carlo Lastimosa, surprisingly picked late in the draft, joined Barako Bull.

5th pick from GlobalPort Batang Pier – Terrence Romeo. PBA IMAGE by Nuki Sabio

In the third round, Joshua Webb went to Air21, sharp shooter Jopher Custodio to GlobalPort, Zamboanga pride Darwin Cordero to Barako Bull, La Salle guard LA Revilla to GlobalPort after Ginebra traded the pick for future draft picks, and former University of the Philippines’ gunner Sam Marata to Petron Blaze.

San Beda’s diminutive point guard Anjo Caram was selected by Meralco, flashy guard Eliud Poligrates by Talk N’ Text, Raymund Ilagan by Alaska, actor Ervic Vijandre by Rain or Shine and former FEU player JR Cawaling by San Mig Coffee in the third.

Angelo Ingco was drafted by the Express to start the fourth round after GlobalPort passed; marksman Jett Vidal from Perpetual went to Barako Bull as the third pick in the fourth round; 300-pounder Fil-Hawaiian John Usita was picked by Ginebra next, meanwhile, to the delight of the Kings’ fans at the venue.

Jose Rizal University’s Nate Matute, Mapua’s Mike Parala and Ateneo’s Oping Sumalinog wrapped up the fourth round picks as they went to Petron Blaze, Meralco and Talk N’ Text, respectively.

In the fifth round, Randolf Chua got drafted by Air21, followed by Maroons Mike Silungan, Alvin Padilla and Mark Lopez, who filled up Barako, Ginebra and Meralco’s choices, respectively.

Crisp-passing guard Jens Knuttel, who went to Ginebra, and Ron Guevarra, who went to Meralco, were the only picks in the sixth round before FEU’s Mark Bringas closed the drafting proceedings as he got picked by the Bolts in the seventh and last round.

Among the notable players who were left out were Joseph Terso, Raymond Maconocido, Paul Sanga, and Mac Montilla.

Sam Miguel
11-04-2013, 10:08 AM
Sigh of relief as Bringas becomes 44th and last pick of PBA rookie draft

November 3, 2013, 07:49 pm

MARK Bringas has the distinction of being the final player to be tabbed in the biggest - and perhaps deepest - draft pool ever in the 39-year history of the Philippine Basketball Association.

The former Far Eastern University stalwart was chosen by Meralco as the 44th and last pick out of the record 79 rookie hopefuls who made themselves available in Sunday’s proceedings that served as the league’s first official order of business for the new season.

The elder brother of controversial player Arvie Bringas was the lone player selected in the seventh and final round after nine teams earlier passed on their respective picks.

Until his name was finally called by commissioner Chito Salud, Bringas admitted losing a little bit of his self-esteem.

“Parang nawawalan na ako ng tiwala sa sarili ko nung hindi pa ako tinatawag,” he told Spin.ph shortly after the draft at Robinsons Place in Ermita. “Kaya sobrang saya ko nung narinig ko ang pangalan ko.”

He said there was no previous arrangement with Meralco – or any team for that matter – to draft him.

“Walang ganun. Kaya nga masayang-masaya ako kahit paano na-draft ako,” said Bringas.

At the same time, he’s aware that being drafted by Meralco doesn't mean being signed outright by the Bolts.

“Actually, hindi naman sigurado ako or `yung iba pa kung makaka-pirma. So lahat may chance pa rin. Pagbubutihan ko na lang para mapansin pa rin ako ng Meralco,” he added.

And in case he fails to hook up with the Bolts or with the rest of the PBA teams, Bringas said there always will be an option.

“May D-League pa naman. So kailangan magpakita ka pa rin para mapansin ka ng ibang teams,” added the young forward who plays for D-League side Cagayan Valley.

Sam Miguel
11-06-2013, 11:02 AM
Mikee Romero fires warning to Romeo and Co. as he shrugs off chemistry issue

November 4, 2013, 11:09 am

AFTER drafting three high-profile rookies with a history of animosity between them, Globalport team owner Mikee Romero was surprisingly the least bit worried that his new players won't get along.

They should. Otherwise they will have to sit out, he warned.

They Said It!

“Pag hindi sila umayos... may paglalagyan sila sa bench namin!" - Globalport team owner Mikee Romero

Chemistry - or the lack of it - suddenly becomes the main issue at Globalport after the second-year team used the fourth and fifth picks in the PBA rookie draft on RR Garcia and Terrence Romeo, two college stars who never meshed during their time together at Far Eastern University.

Although they never admitted any long-standing feud between them, it was clear Garcia and Romeo's inability to blend weighed down the title hopes of a Tamaraws team that was considered to have enough talent to go all the way.

Throw in former Ateneo star Nico Salva, who fought countless battles with the two on the court and had one very public war of words with Romeo who he criticized on Twitter for being a 'ball hog."

Still, Romero has no such worries the trio may have similar problems at Globalport, saying such distractions have no place in the pro ranks.

“Sa akin, diskarte na ng coaching staff 'yan kung paano sila patitinuin," said Romero, who was on the draft floor when Globalport made four major selections in the draft - including big man Isaac Holstein at No. 7 and Salva in the second round at No. 11 overall.

"But this is the PBA. They have to behave. They should realize that this is a different atmosphere, they are not the heart and soul of this team,” added Romero.

If they fail to get along, there's just one place for each one of them, Romero said.

“Pag hindi sila umayos … iuupo ko 'yan. May paglalagyan sila sa bench namin,” the Globalport owner warned, adding he has never hesitated in the past to ‘embargo’ any player who refused to play by the rules of the coaching staff.

“May isa nga akong player, reklamo ng reklamo. Inuupo ko ng matagal eh. Wala akong pakialam kung sino siya,” he said.

The Sultan 900 Incorporated president bared that this strict approach has worked when he won championships in the PBL, ABL and even in the Southeast Asian Games.

Globalport coach Junel Baculi, on the other hand, is looking at his odd mix of rookies as a challenge.

“Tinatanong mo kung ready na ba akong sumakit ang ulo? Dati pa naman na sumakit ang ulo ko sa lineup ko di ba?” Baculi said in jest.

He added: “Boss Mikee wants to rebuild our team and put in some good young players to the team. And we are happy with what we did today."

Asked how he intends to have Garcia, Romeo and Salva on the same page, the fiery mentor burst into laughter and said: “Pupunta nga ako ng Chinatown, magtatanong ako sa mga cook dun, para lutuin ito.”

Turning serious, Baculi said a trip to Cebu this week for a pocket tournament, also participated in by Barako Bull Energy Cola, the Alaska Aces and a team from Davao, is a good time to bond not only for the three rookies but for the entire team.

“Yun ang titignan kong magandang pagkakataon to give our boys the time to get to know each other,” said Baculi.

Joescoundrel
11-12-2013, 09:37 AM
San Mig coach Cone in no rush to break in Sangalang and Co.

November 8, 2013, 01:49 pm

SAN Mig Coffee coach Tim Cone is not in a hurry to break in the team’s four rookies with almost just a week left before the new season of the PBA formally kicks off.

Along with deputy Johnny Abarrientos, Cone is taking his time to teach the basics of the Mixers’ trademark triangle offense to new acquisitions Ian Sangalang, Isaac Holstein, Justin Melton, and JR Cawaling (30th).

And so far, Cone is impressed with the way the four freshmen are picking up the basic points of the team’s system.

“We’re not worried about looking at their (four rookies) skills. We know what they can do. It’s just a matter of giving them some basic understanding on the triangle so that when the regular players show up on Monday, they won’t be disruptive,” Cone told Spin.ph.

Of the four, only Holstein was acquired by the Mixers via the trade deal. The team dealt 10th pick Justine Chua and veteran small forward Leo Najorda to Globalport in exchange for the 6-foot-7 Holstein on Tuesday.

Cone is aware expectations are high on his rookie players especially Sangalang, a one-time NCAA Most Valuable Player selected No. 2 overall.

But the multi-titled mentor isn’t putting any pressure on his rookies to made an immediate impact in the season-opening Philippine Cup.

“We got an intact team so if our rookies are not ready after a week (of practice), it will just be fine. We’ll try to bring them along,” added Cone, fresh from steering the Mixers to the Governors Cup championship.

Cone believes intact teams, particularly defending All-Filipino champion Talk ‘N Text and Petron, have the edge this conference due to minor changes they had in their respective rosters.

“Teams that got to be intact are the teams with the biggest advantage this season and I think, Talk ‘N Text and Petron didn’t make many changes. So they will have a really good start and will have the edge,” he said.

Joescoundrel
11-12-2013, 09:38 AM
Drafted players still allowed to suit up in D-League

November 5, 2013, 07:35 pm

PLAYERS drafted in the PBA will still be allowed to suit up in the ongoing PBA D-League Aspirants Cup until they are signed by their respective mother ballclubs.

Tournament director Eric Castro said there’s no rule prohibiting drafted players from seeing action in the D-League with at least two weeks to go before the 39th season of Asia’s maiden pro league gets underway.

“Wala naman tayong rules na nagbabawal doon,” said Castro.

Instead of its usual August date, the Annual Draft was deferred to last Sunday to give way to the country’s hosting of the Fiba-Asia Men’s Championship.

Several of the rookie players drafted noticeably saw action for their respective D-League teams Monday and Tuesday, among them includes Blackwater Sports’ Justin Chua (Globalport) and Robby Celiz (Talk ‘N Text), Café France’s Eloy Poligrates (Talk ‘N Text), Ping Exciminiano (Alaska), Jens Knuttel (Barangay Ginebra), and Mike Parala (Meralco), and Cagayan Valley’s Mark Bringas (Meralco).

Chua even played a key role in the Elite’s 87-85 victory over Boracay Rum as he scored a team-high 15 points, including a crucial three-pointer late in the game.

Castro said he is assuming D-League players will only be prevented from suiting up with their respective teams after they have signed a contract since being drafted alone doesn’t guarantee them of slots with their mother ballclubs in the pro league.

“Hangga’t hindi pa sila nakakapirma sa PBA, puwede pa sila maglaro sa D-League,” Castro said.

Joescoundrel
11-12-2013, 09:39 AM
Garcia ripe for the PBA while Romeo needs to blend in, says coach Racela

October 18, 2013, 05:35 pm

NASH Racela doesn’t expect a reunion with Far Eastern University players Terrence Romeo or RR Garcia at Talk `N Text after the coming PBA annual draft.

Racela, the Tamaraws mentor who also serves as deputy of coach Norman Black, doesn’t see either the two still available by the time the Tropang Texters get their chance to pick in the second round of the November 3 draft.

“Oo, siyempre,” said Racela, when asked if he would be advising Talk 'N Text to pick either of the two if, for some reason, the two UAAP MVPs are still available when Texters' turn to pick comes.

So confident is Racela of his former stars' worth that he said some teams did not do their homework if either of the two do not get picked in the first round.

“Pero kung umabot sila sa amin, may problema ‘yung ibang teams. Mawawalan sila ng trabaho,” said the brother of San Mig Coffee assistant coach Olsen Racela.

This year’s draft just got interesting after Romeo’s last-minute application hours before the 5 p.m. Friday deadline. Garcia, his backcourt partner with the Tamaraws, already submitted his application a few days ago.

Racela believes Romeo and Garcia are certain first-round picks, stressing the two high-scoring guards are now PBA-ready based on their skills.

“RR has really matured in terms of playmaking skills. Terrence has the skills also pero even though kailangan pa niya ng konting maturity, nakikita ko na rin na he is slowly getting there,” said the FEU coach.

Racela said Garcia will have no problem adjusting to the PBA due to his experience of playing for the entire five years in the UAAP, and a few more with the national team and the D-League.

“I don’t think RR will have a hard time because of NLEX and Gilas. So I think RR will be okay,” Racela said.

The young coach had praised Romeo in the recent UAAP season for showing more willingness to play under a team concept.

But now that he’ll be playing with the best of the best, Racela said the reigning UAAP MVP will definitely have to share the ball even more.

“Part of the maturity (process) is to play under a team concept especially now that the PBA has really talented players. Ang importante is maging effective siya kasama nung mga magagaling,” said Racela.

Sam Miguel
11-14-2013, 08:19 AM
Rodriguez fails to crack RoS roster

Cebu Daily News

8:09 am | Thursday, November 14th, 2013

WHILE one Cebuano hoop dream came true, another fell by the wayside as former University of the Visayas superstar Jayford Rodriguez failed to crack the final roster of the Rain or Shine Elasto Painters for the upcoming PBA Philippine Cup.

This development was known yesterday after the teams bared their respective lineups and only one Rodriguez was penned in by head coach Yeng Guiao’s team – power forward Larry Rodriguez.

In contrast, Eliud Poligrates impressed head coach Norman Black and Talk N Text officials enough to make it to the team’s official roster, thereby putting a happy ending to a journey that saw the flashy guard from Camotes Island nearly quit basketball after he was banned from the Cesafi back in 2009.

Poligrates reportedly signed a two-year deal after making a good account of himself during the preseason games, wherein he averaged 14 points in outings against Air21 and GlobalPort.

For Rodriguez, the odyssey continues even after he was selected 19th overall by Rain or Shine in the recent PBA Draft. Unfortunately, he joined an Elasto Painters team that already had a glut of guards and wingmen, not to mention the selections of highly-touted rookies Alex Nuyles and Jeric Teng and an already-established core of Gabe Norwood, Jeff Chan, Chris Tiu, Ryan Arana, Jireh Ibanes, Paul Lee and Ty Tang.

Joescoundrel
10-25-2017, 02:03 PM
Dilemma for Narvasa as he sits on KIA-San Miguel trade proposal amid fury from fans

PBA commissioner Chito Narvasa said on Tuesday he's still in the process of evaluating a controversial KIA-San Miguel trade proposal that, if approved, would send the top pick in the rookie draft to the Beermen for a bunch of rarely used reserve players.

Narvasa said he is in communication with officials of the two teams as he decides on whether to approve, veto, or call for a revision of a trade that has come under heavy fire from media and fans alike.

"I'm talking to (KIA official) Bobby Rosales and (SMC sports director) Alfrancis Chua and we'll see how it goes," said Narvasa.

The league chieftain said there are a lot of things to take into consideration before making a final decision on the deal that could bring Fil-German prospect Christian Standhardinger to an already loaded SMB team alongside four-time MVP June Mar Fajardo.

In return, the Picanto, in the trade's current form, are supposed to get bench-warmers like Keith Agovida, Rashawn McCarthy, JayR Reyes, or other rarely used veterans.

Narvasa specifically pointed to the ballclubs' right to chart their own path balanced with the need to maintain parity in the league.

"People say it?s about parity of the league," the second-year commissioner said. "But people have the same right as anybody else in the team to decide their fate."

"They should be responsible for whatever comes from it. We have to consider also their position and the effect it has on the league,? he added.

Narvasa assured that whatever move he makes will only be for the good of the 42-year-old league.

"At the end of the day, it has to be about what?s good for the PBA, families themselves, and the teams themselves," he said.

The former Shell and Purefoods coach said a verdict will be made before the rookie draft on Sunday at the Robinsons Place Ermita since a trade will weigh heavily on the selections of the teams involved.

"I think (we'll come up with the decision) before the draft," he said.

Joescoundrel
10-25-2017, 02:11 PM
KIA letting go of no. 1 overall pick for three San Miguel players in pre-draft trade

San Miguel sent three players to Kia in exchange for the top pick in the upcoming draft, which could be Gilas stalwart Christian Standhardinger

The Picanto has struck a rather controversial deal with powerhouse San Miguel to trade away the top overall pick in this year's PBA rookie draft in exchange for role players JayR Reyes, Keith Agovida, and rookie Rashawn McCarthy, SPIN.ph learned from multiple sources on Saturday.

Gilas stalwart and Fil-German Christian Standhardinger is the consensus top pick for this year's draft set Oct. 29 at the Robinson's Place in Ermita.

Trade papers had already been submitted to the Commissioner's Office and remains unofficial pending the approval by commissioner Chito Narvasa.

Sources said trade terms had already been revised after the league vetoed an earlier proposal made by both teams.

Blackwater team owner Dioceldo Sy later confirmed the move, which according to him will further tarnish the image of the league if it will be approved.

"Commissioner Narvasa should do his role to balance the league," he said in a text message. "It?s already obvious KIA can't afford to manage a competitive team in the PBA."

This is the second time in three years KIA is giving away its first round draft pick.

In 2015, it traded away the no. 2 overall pick to TnT Katropa for former Gilas member Aldrech Ramos and veteran KG Canaleta. The Katropa used the pick to tab Troy Rosario.

Ramos and Canaleta's stint with KIA lasted for just a year as they were likewise shipped to other teams prior to this season.

Other players the four-year franchise has traded in the course of the season include Bradwyn Guinto, Paolo Taha, Karl Dehesa, Alex Mallari, and Mike Digregorio.

The contract of playing-coach Manny Pacquiao had also expired and the boxing great already decided to part ways with the team.

It's lineup decimated following the series of trades, the Picanto limped home with a 6-27 (win-loss) record this season including an 0-11 slate in the Governors Cup that assured the franchise of getting this year's top pick.

Joescoundrel
10-26-2017, 08:56 AM
Uytengsu says controversial KIA-SMB trade defeats very purpose of PBA rookie draft

ONE of the most outspoken team owners ever in the PBA has spoken once more.

Alaska team owner Wilfred Uytengsu expressed concern over what he and fellow team owners perceived as a one-sided trade involving KIA and San Miguel that is seeking approval from the Commissioner's Office.

Uytengsu, a former league chairman, said the idea of the draft is to strengthen weaker teams, which he said won't be the case if the deal between the Picanto and Beermen is allowed to push through.

"The purpose of the draft is to strengthen the weaker teams. However, what we have seen lately is these weaker teams end up selling their top draft picks because if you look at who is being traded in return, it clearly doesn't make basketball sense for the weaker teams, unless there is other consideration," said Uytengsu in a statement on Wednesday.

Under the proposed trade submitted to the Commissioner's Office last week, KIA is dealing the top overall pick in this year's draft for a slew of rarely used San Miguel reserves.

Initially, the Beermen were set to give away Jay-R Reyes, Keith Agovida, and Rashawn McCarthy. Later, the deal was revised and now involved veterans Yancy de Ocampo, Matt Ganuelas-Rosser, and Gabby Espinas, as well as McCarthy.

Big Fil-German and Gilas stalwart Christian Standhardinger is the consensus No. 1 overall pick in this year's draft.

Narvasa on Tuesday said he's considering a lot of factors and has already talked to the parties concerned ? Alfrancis Chua for SMC and Bobby Rosales for KIA.

"At the end of the day, it has to be about what's good for the PBA families themselves, and the teams themselves," he said during the final day of the Rookie Draft Combine at the Gatorade Hoops Center.

But Uytengsu still has his doubts.

"There is already a lot of doubt about KIA benefiting financially if this trade were to go through, and you have to wonder if they are even making the league minimum salary cap."

Uytengsu also questioned how both San Miguel and Barangay Ginebra managed to stack up former first-round draft picks without going over the league salary cap.

He mentioned four-time MVP June Mar Fajardo, Arwind Santos, Chris Ross, Marcio Lassiter, and Alex Cabagnot for the Beermen and the likes of Greg Slaughter, Japeth Aguilar, Joe Devance, LA Tenorio, Scottie Thompson, and Kevin Ferrer for the Kings, making him wonder if both franchises don?t go over the ceiling as far as players' salaries are concerned.

"It's difficult to comprehend how a team can fit within the team salary cap, paying those players all at approved maximum PBA salaries, while still maintaining a strong sixth through eighth players. I've done the math and it doesn't work," said Uytengsu.

According to the Alaska team owner, San Miguel has won five championships in the last three years while Ginebra, TnT Katropa, and Rain or Shine won one each. That made it 6-of-8 for the SMC Group - or a high 75 winning percentage.

He added San Miguel is expected to get even stronger should it acquire the rights to Standhardinger despite having won two of the three conferences staked this season.

But the Alaska executive is still giving Narvasa the benefit of the doubt, saying he expects him to eventually make a fair decision on the trade.

"The commissioner's responsibility is to enforce league rules such as the salary cap (team and individual), as well as ensure that dubious trades are not allowed," he said. "So I'm trusting he will do the right thing for the PBA."

Joescoundrel
10-30-2017, 10:51 AM
The 2017 PBA Draft Picks by round, from Spin:

First round:

1. Christian Standhardinger - SMB
2. Kiefer Ravena - NLEX
3. Raymar Jose - Blackwater
4. Jason Perkins - Phoenix
5. Jeron Teng - Alaska
6. Rob Herndon - GlobalPort
7. Rey Nambatac - Rain or Shine
8. Sydney Onwubere - Phoenix
9. Lervin Flores - Star
10. Mac Tallo - TNT
11. Jon Gabriel - TNT
12. Jett Manuel - Ginebra

Second round:

1. John Grospe - NLEX
2. Joseph Gabayni - Star
3. Renz Palma - Blackwater
4. Julian Sargent - Star
5. Louie Vigil - San Miguel Beer
6. Davon Potts - Alaska
7. Jom Sollano - Rain or Shine
8. Gwyne Capacio - Star
9. Jayson Grimaldo - Phoenix
10. Monbert Arong - TNT Katropa
11. Wilson Baltazar - Phoenix
12. Andreas Cahilig - GlobalPort

Third round:

1. Chris De Chavez - Kia
2. Gab Dagangon - NLEX
3. Biboy Enguio - Blackwater
4. Dan Sara - Phoenix
5. Zach Nicholls - GlobalPort
6. Pass - Alaska
7. Michael Juico - Rain or Shine
8. Jed Bulawan - Meralco
9. Thomas Torres - Star
10. Dave Moralde - TNT Katropa
11. Jerome Ortega - San Miguel
12. Elmer Cabahug - Ginebra

Fourth round:

1. Arvie Bringas - Kia
2. Felix Apreku - NLEX
3. Kyle Neypes - Blackwater
4. JK Casi?o - Phoenix
5. Gian Abrigo - GlobalPort
6. Pass - Alaska
7. Pass - Rain or Shine
8. Pass - Meralco
9. Pass - Star
10. Pass - TNT
11. Joseph Nalos - San Miguel
12. Pass - Ginebra

Fifth round:

1. Christian Geronimo - Kia
2. Pass - NLEX
3. Jhon Sumido - Blackwater

Joescoundrel
10-30-2017, 11:02 AM
San Miguel seals its twin towers

By: Randolph B. Leongson - Reporter / @RLeongsonINQINQUIRER.net / 05:07 AM October 30, 2017

Christian Standhardinger was selected first overall by San Miguel Beer as expected on Sunday afternoon, and after coming up short in completing the franchise?s second Triple Crown sweep in the recently concluded PBA Season, the Beermen have added a blue-chip material to make another go at it.

The 6-foot-8 Fil-German joins the star-studded team and will form a lethal twin tower combine with reigning four-time MVP June Mar Fajardo as the Beermen added yet another piece in an effort to extend their dynasty while matching up with sister team and newly minted Governors' Cup titlist Barangay Ginebra's frontline.

And while San Miguel got bigger, NLEX got the best small man in the 43-man pool as the Road Warriors made heady point guard Kiefer Ravena No. 2 overall, with Blackwater tabbing former Far Eastern U bruiser Raymar Jose at third, Phoenix Petroleum making Jason Perkins the fourth overall pick and Alaska getting the talented Jeron Teng at No. 5.

Standhardinger is expected to join San Miguel early in the Commissioner's Cup as he will have to play out a live contract with Hong Kong in the Asean Basketball League, and when he arrives, the Beermen can challenge the Gin Kings' combo of 7-foot Greg Slaughter and 6-foot-9 Japeth Aguilar underneath.

There are no other teams which can talk of at least coming close as far as size is concerned.

GlobalPort went with Fil-Am wingman Robbie Herndon at sixth, with Rey Nambatac, after being selected seventh, getting reunited with former Letran teammate Raymond Almazan and coach Caloy Garcia at Rain or Shine.

Phoenix tapped hardworking forward Sidney Onwubere eighth overall with Star also adding some ceiling by picking Lervin Flores ninth.

TNT KaTropa used the 10th and 11th picks to tab Cebuano guard Mac Tallo of SWU and Colegio de San Lorenzo slotman Jon Gabriel, respectively.

Ginebra claimed UP slasher Jett Manuel as the 12th pick to round out the first round.

NLEX continued to add youth to its frontline, tapping JRU forward Ervin Grospe to open the second round.

Star picked slotman Joseph Gabayni next, Blackwater nabbed slasher Emil Palma, forward Julian Sargent went to Star, while Louie Vigil went to San Miguel.

Davon Potts was selected by Alaska 18th overall, followed by Jom Sollano, who was tabbed by Rain or Shine.

Gwynne Capacio (Star), Jayson Grimaldo (Phoenix), Monbert Arong (TNT), Wilson Baltazar (Phoenix), and Andreas Cahilig (GlobalPort) round out the second round picks.

Joescoundrel
10-30-2017, 11:09 AM
Austria 'willing to wait' for SMB top pick Standhardinger

By: Randolph B. Leongson - Reporter / @RLeongsonINQPhilippine Daily Inquirer / 10:09 AM October 30, 2017

San Miguel head coach Leo Austria said picking Christian Standhardinger first in the 2017 PBA Rookie Draft will be worth the wait.

"I think I've said it before that for a talent like Christian, we're willing to wait even for one or two more years. It's still okay for me as long as we'll have him," Austria said.

Austria and the Beermen have every reason to want Standhardinger, who won't make his PBA debut until midway through the next season due to his commitments with the Hong Kong Eastern Long Lions in the Asean Basketball League, on the team.

The Fil-German big man quickly became a hot commodity the moment he bursted into the Philippine basketball scene as a member of Gilas Pilipinas in the 2017 Jones Cup, Fiba Asia Cup and Southeast Asian Games.

Standhardinger forms a fearsome frontline with four-time PBA MVP June Mar Fajardo and joins an already stacked roster featuring Mythical First Team members Chris Ross, Alex Cabagnot, and Arwind Santos.

But despite the fanfare surrounding Standhardinger's entry to San Miguel, Austria is still putting a premium on team chemistry.

"We still don't know yet what we could have from him since he's going to Hong Kong, but once he joins us, we're expecting great things from him. The important thing here and what we're after for is to have good chemistry. It took us a long time to have that and now that we do, it's just a matter of blending him in to our team," he said.

But based on what Austria had seen so far, it looks like chemistry issues won?t be that much of a problem.

"Based on what we saw, he's a good fit for our team. He's really a hardworker and that's what we like from him. He could give a lot of help for our team because you know, that's what we're always aiming for. We're always looking for excellence."