PDA

View Full Version : RP team using wrong strength training methods??

pachador
08-20-2007, 06:40 AM
RP team using wrong strength training methods??

Guys, this is a very important issue that the SBP and RP team staff really need to look into if true.

I have noticed during the run-up to the Jones Cup and later to the FIBA-Asia that the RP team was prone to various injuries and issues with game performance . At that time, I did not want to say anything because I wanted to be supportive, but in the back of my mind I was wondering if incorrect strength training methods or overtraining of the muscles was the cause. I say this because I have been lifting weights since the 1980s and I'm knowledgable with strength training principles.

However, a poster in PEX, bchemist who is a strength trainer for Sonny Thoss, Eman , and teams mentioned that and i quote:

"I'll give you a little feedback on what I learned of his training under the RP team. He disappeared for a few days to train with the RP team about 6 weeks ago(this looks like before the FIBA-Asia). What he said that stood out in my mind was how he was forced to lift weights with the RP team, even when they know he already has a program that has improved him, and will continue to do so. He still has a long way to go since his foundation training is not even complete before he is safe to under go plyometrics.

In short, he said that he was frustrated that the trainers kept insisting that he do cleans that were too light and kept insisting that he pull the bar too high. Once it caused him to be hit in the chin. He knows how to do the lifts, and has watched extensive footage on youtube since I wanted to show him how international master class athletes look in their form. That's secondary to the following: The trainers had him doing drop-sets, forced reps, and everything else under the sun that a basketball player should not be doing. As I always say, they're basketball players...not bodybuilders. He said that he was so sore during the practice that followed these training sessions that he could barely move his arms. Many of the players would be wearing ice-packs on their legs because they are so sore.

So if I was him, I'd probably just walk out. In fairness, there were several PBA players who DECLINED to play for the RP team for these very same reasons. They didn't agree with the training methods of both preparation, and then what went on in practice. Several other players who either practiced with the team and a few who even played didn't take it seriously. One player who shall remain anonymous said, and I quote, "Whenever I'm out there and I get the ball, I'm just going to take the shot. I don't care...I'm just going to shoot until I get pulled."

To be fair to both sides on this issue, why doesn't the SBP call a neutral 3rd party to determine the bottom of this issue because, we all want to minimize injuries to players as well as lessen game performance degradation due to overtraining. There is no fingerpointing, but rather find a solution to this issue.

Howard the Duck
08-20-2007, 10:11 AM
sa tingin ko nga ang training, more specifically the trainers are the weak link in RP sports in general...

pachador
08-21-2007, 03:42 AM
Bchemist's reply from PEX:
That's not the purpose of this thread. There is no lobbying for anyone to lose their jobs. The purpose of the thread is to call to question methods that are taught to basketball players, especially players as important as the RP team players.

If individuals from our organization were tapped to train the team, it should be due to merit through past performance alone.

If these calls to question go unheeded, it's at that point that the coaching staff should be re-evaluated. I've heard testimony after testimony of RP team players doing these methods and how it affects their play in a negative manner.

If one expects the RP team to win in the future, no stone should be left unturned.

Kid Cubao
08-21-2007, 07:57 AM
think of it this way: proper fundamentals + exposure + proper strength and training methods = basketball success.

the way i see it, dun pa lang sa proper fundamentals, questionable na tayo. many of our players couldn't shoot the open medium range jumper, convert free throws on a consistent basis, don't rotate back on defense, and don't recognize a sideline trap before it closes. ayusin muna nila ang mga yan, at susunod na yung mga iba.

yungha
08-23-2007, 10:05 AM
^ agree.

but i also agree on the aspect of strength training. just look at our players when they stand side-by-side with their foreign counterparts and it's evident that the opponents are stonger and better conditioned. even the supposed vaunted pinoy quickness and speed advantage are now offset by the opponents' superior conditioning. kumbaga maliit na nga tayo, mabagal pa.

pachador
08-28-2007, 12:15 AM
Here is another hint that the Strength training of the RP team needs to be reviewed:

Excerpt from article Boom Boom and the RP team: Learning from mistakes

By Recah Trinidad
Inquirer
Aug 28, 2007

RP basketball honestly needs an overhaul, a long-overdue makeover.

Unfortunately, there’s no honest effort to sincerely evaluate what went wrong and why RP flunked the Olympic exam.

Listen, please. After the cancellation of Bert Batawang’s world title bid, this reporter momentarily moved out of the Wild Card area in Hollywood, which he used to traverse on foot from his brother’s place around Melrose here, and strayed off to nearby Eagle Rock.

The idea was to scour for tips, tiny sporting gems, which could hopefully help solve the myriad problems hobbling RP basketball.

Call it a lucky break or whatever, but there on Saturday morning, at the Jack ‘n the Box at Eagle Rock, was the father of one of the RP team’s top scorers.( si Caguioa ata ito)

The breakfast talk, naturally, centered on the failed RP team, and his son’s stint under coach Chot Reyes.

Do remember that Coach Chot, ever the wordy gentleman, did not waste time and apologized for the debacle. But that won’t help, snorted the frustrated father.

“How come?”

“He did own up to his mistakes, but he should go a step further.”

“How?”

“He should be ordered to make a clean breast of what went wrong, so future teams won’t be committing the same glaring mistakes he did.”

“But won’t that be shameful, coming out in the open to tell how he bungled the job?”

“Well, he need not do it in public, he could make a written deposition, detail what he sincerely feels should be avoided by the next national squad.”

Agreed. We will forward the suggestion to basketball godfathers, led by Manny V. Pangilinan, back home and let’s see how they would pick it from there.

Given the break, we asked the frustrated father to detail at least two faults committed by Reyes.

“You know, my son managed to score big in some games, but only after he feigned tiredness and pain whenever they would be made to run in the morning before evening games.”

What do you mean?

“Well, he could preserve his strength and save his overworked legs by avoiding the unnecessary strain in the morning.”

You mean the players were foolishly wasted?

“Evidently.”

Another fault singled out was the forced fielding of Danny Seigle in the opening match against Iran, despite the fact that Seigle had not worked out with the team due to a lengthy injury.

The designated scorer flopped, thereby spoiling an otherwise fine team chemistry, and RP lost.

Seigle was not fielded against China, and RP won.

But then, he was again sent in the second half against Jordan, when he proved a liability, and RP predictably squandered its initial lead before finally failing to move onto the next round.

Should Reyes also be accused of having played favorites?

“Not necessarily, but it was clear he opted to rely on technicalities, rather than lean on tested strong game essentials.”

But you think Reyes would be honest enough to make the sacrifice of detailing his mistakes?

“Well, that would be a test of his manhood. It could also confirm his dedication to the cause of Philippine basketball.”

For flag and country.

“Well, if not, he should do it for San Miguel and Mr. Pangilinan, and hopefully for the boys out there looking forward to dream renaissance in RP basketball here.”

That’s it, learning from mistakes.

Meanwhile, our father of the hour swore Reyes should have no problem telling all because “he’s a terrific talker,” in the first place.

Mikhail
08-28-2007, 12:30 AM
^
puro negativity lang naman 'tong si Recah Trinidad e. Kala mo kung sinong ultimate coach kung magsalita.