PDA

View Full Version : Borboran steps up for hot Warriors

gameface_one
08-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Borboran steps up for hot Warriors

By Jasmine W. Payo
Inquirer
Last updated 03:38am (Mla time) 08/15/2007

MANILA, Philippines -- The University of the East Warriors have proven to be a potent yet puzzling crew for opposing teams.

Even with no dominant leader, the Warriors have remained unbeaten in eight games in the UAAP men’s basketball competition.

“We don’t have a go-to guy, I think that’s one advantage,” said UE coach Dindo Pumaren. “In our eight games, we had different top scorers. Even in close games, different players stepped up for us during clutch situations.”

And Pumaren hopes the Warriors’ offensive identity will remain that way.

In previous matches, among the Warriors who have shone include Mark Borboran, Kelvin Gregorio, Marcy Arellano, Elmer Espiritu, Jorel Cańizares, Hans Thiele, James Martinez, Mark Fampulme, Narciso Llagas and rookie standout Paul Lee.

“I’m very confident with my players right now,” said Pumaren. “We really just have to sustain this kind of game.”

Last Sunday, Borboran sparked the Warriors’ second-half turnaround for a 73-68 triumph over the Ateneo de Manila University Blue Eagles.

The 6-foot-4 Borboran, named UAAP Press Corps’ Anta Player of the Week, fired eight points in the first six minutes of the fourth period to turn a 55-59 UE deficit into a 69-64 advantage.

With the victory, the Warriors moved within a win of matching their 9-0 start in 1986.

“I keep reminding the players that we should keep our distance,” said Pumaren, noting that the Warriors have moved three wins ahead of their closest pursuers.

Defending champion University of Santo Tomas, De La Salle University and Far Eastern University remained tied for second with 5-3 slates.

The Warriors, though, are bracing themselves for tougher games ahead after posting an average winning margin of 18.3 points in their 7-0 sweep of the first round.

pokpok
08-15-2007, 04:05 PM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOO MARK BORBORAN... you are one of my favorite WARRIOR...

Wang-Bu
08-20-2007, 10:45 AM
Mawalang-galang na kay Coach Dindo, pero hindi totoong walang Go-To Guy ang Warriors natin ngayon. Wala lang sigurong BWAKAW (peace talaga Bon, heh-heh...)

Dalawa ang go-to guys ng UE ngayon, isa na si Mark Borboran, ang isa pa ay si Marcy Arellano. Kung titignan ang mga stats nilang dalawa ni hindi sila umeksena sa pagka-MVP. Si Mark ay nag-average lang ng mga 8 points at 6 rebounds nung Round 1, habang si Marcy nasa 8 points and 5 assists lang yata, pero SWEEP naman natin ang Round 1.

Pero nung pitpitan na ng itlog ngayong Round 2, lalo kontra Ateneo, ang mga nag-step up ay ang dalawa pa din nating veterans. Si Mark ang nagbigay ng points upang makakalas tayo sa Ateneo, habang si Marcy naman ang dumiskarte ng magandang play. Ang maganda kasi talaga sa dalawang ito alam ng lahat ng team na kayang-kaya nilang kumamada kung kinakailangan, hirap tuloy silang gumawa ng depensa. Kung kunwari Adamson ang kalaban mawala lang si Cabahug goodbye na, ganun din sa NU kapag napigilan si Jhanke, sa Ateneo naman si Tiu.

Sa UE kapag nag-focus ang depensa kina Mark at Marcy (at sa totoo lang madaling sabihin pero saksakan ng hirap gawin 'yon) may James Martinez kang kayang pumukol sa tres, Mark Fampulme na kayang gumawa sa poste, Barry Llagas at Hans Thiele na kayang mag-rebound, Elmer Espiritu na magaling magbantay sa poste at may sapat na liksi upang mag-3, Jorel Canizares at Paul Lee na kayang mag-slash. Lahat ng ito ay posible gawa ng awareness ng ibang teams na hindi pwedeng pabayaan ang dalawang superstar natin na sina Mark at Marcy.

ewe_rach
08-20-2007, 07:57 PM
sir wangbu, lalong naging evident yan ngayong second round. medyo kakainin ko lang ang sinabi ko last time.
go-to-GUYS meron ang warriors nyan. ;)

codiak
09-02-2007, 01:37 PM
new career high of mark borboran 23 pts with 3 reb. 3 ast. 1 blks last game against FEU. congrats mark keep it good work

codiak
09-05-2007, 09:10 PM
Borboran: UAAP’s Player of the Week

Tempo

Low-key yet efficient, Mark Borboran played another vital role in the University of the East’s amazing 12-game winning run in the UAAP seniors basketball competition.

"Mark has shown a lot of maturity this season. He has been keeping the team steady during tight situations," said UE Warriors coach Dindo Pumaren.

Flashing a sharp offensive game, Borboran unloaded a career-high 23 points against Far Eastern University to earn his second UAAP Press Corps-ANTA Player of the Week plum.

Borboran delivered the clutch baskets in the final canto as the undefeated Warriors scored a 79-72 victory over the hard-fighting FEU Tamaraws.

But aside from showing composure, the 6-foot-4 forward displayed shooting accuracy by nailing 4-of-6 attempts from beyond the arc and a perfect 5-of-5 from two-point range.

With Borboran at the helm, the Warriors will try to complete a 14-0 sweep when they wrap up the elimination round against the University of the Philippines Maroons and the La Salle Green Archers.

The 22-year-old Borboran, a native of Malinao, Albay, edged University of Santo Tomas slotman Jervy Cruz and La Salle guard JV Casio for the weekly citation awarded by scribes covering the collegiate beat.

yuck_UE
09-20-2007, 05:35 AM
khet nasusuka ako sa UE at sa crowd nito, isa to sa mga players na me respeto ako dahil walang hangin at talangka sa utak.

Dark Knight
09-20-2007, 10:19 PM
you really hate UE eh? ;D

ewe_rach
09-20-2007, 10:54 PM
hahaha! kaawa-awang nilalang! malaki talaga ang galit niyan sa UE. ::)

yuck_UE
09-21-2007, 02:21 AM
you really hate UE eh?* ;D

for your benefit, i like the UE players. i simply hate the obnoxious crowd. let me correct my previous post. I have nothing against UE as an institution, just their rowdy crowd.

Sam Miguel
09-21-2007, 05:14 PM
God, must be a relative of that Atayde fellow...

yuck_UE
09-25-2007, 03:56 AM
God, must be a relative of that Atayde fellow...

been following me huh? guess your a relative of FUE's Salgado. you are simply pathetic dude. Read my post which you replied to & tell me what's wrong with expressing opinions. i pity you

gameface_one
09-25-2007, 07:15 AM
^^^yuck_UE, final warning on this. If you have to hit back, do it in a non-direct, non-provocative, and "non-pex-like" way.

yuck_UE
09-26-2007, 04:15 AM
^^^yuck_UE, final warning on this. If you have to hit back, do it in a non-direct, non-provocative, and "non-pex-like" way.* *

If you'll review the trail, I just said I hated the UE crowd & what he replied was a direct insult.

gameface_one
09-26-2007, 09:50 AM
^^ I know but you should have done it in a less antagonistic way.

yuck_UE
09-27-2007, 05:06 AM

gotcha. to make the board cleaner, i would like to request that all my previous post & trails be deleted & I will create a new handle.

gameface_one
09-27-2007, 10:50 PM
No need to delete. Just create a new one if you wish.

pokpok
09-28-2007, 03:40 AM

dun ka magwala sa PEX.. disente ang gameface.ph huwag mong babuyin. ako si marimekko. nagwawala ako sa PEX pero dito hindi.. matuto kang lumugar.

Dark Knight
10-04-2007, 06:32 PM
In reference to the thread title, Borboran missed the supposedly game winning trey.

canmaker
10-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Critical time now for UE. As Wang-Bu so colorfully calls it, "pitpitan ng ba_ag" time na ...

The favored Warriors have to bring their "A" game to force Game 3.

Kudos to la salle's guards. Si Maierhoffer naman, injured na, subalit handang magbigay ng lahat para sa koponan nya (risking a more serious injury). Nakakabilb din

freak
10-04-2007, 09:19 PM
In reference to the thread title, Borboran missed the supposedly game winning trey.

I dunno, but I think that was not a good shot. With DLSU leading by one point, 14 secs remaining, I thought they were going to post him up. He has advantage over who's guarding him and may even get a foul in the process.

joelex
10-04-2007, 10:15 PM
mukhang concerned na concerned mga atenista ah ;D anyways go UE! From the looks of things, whoever wins game 2 has the crown in the bag :D

Howard the Duck
10-05-2007, 12:05 AM
sayang yung last shot nya, pwede namang dos lang, bakit kasi ang layo :P

sa_pula
10-05-2007, 01:28 AM
dapat foul si maierhofer dun sa last play ng dlsu kaso hnd nakita yung tukod kay espiritu tapos yung kay borboran tinawagan.malas na nga kanina sumasabay pa mga refs..

easter
10-05-2007, 09:10 AM
mukhang concerned na concerned mga atenista ah ;D anyways go UE! From the looks of things, whoever wins game 2 has the crown in the bag :D

Joelex naman. Gusto lang namin maki-nood ng magandang laro. Wala naman masama di ba? :D

keener
10-05-2007, 09:26 AM

Borboran made a more difficult three prior to that. His three tied the game at 63 before Rico's lone point at the line. He was more than capable of pulling of that last three. Kumanto nga lang.

joelex
10-05-2007, 03:29 PM

Joelex naman. Gusto lang namin maki-nood ng magandang laro. Wala naman masama di ba?* :D

yup exactly, nothing bad intended, its the same thing anyway if you guys won against DLSU and how the DLSU peeps would cheer for UE. What's funny was when i witnessed the DLSU and FEU finals 2 seasons back, a platoon of BLUE was behind the FEU bench, Chot Reyes was even calling the shots from behind. But again like what youve said, nothing wrong with it. Go UE!

Semenelin
10-05-2007, 05:48 PM

parehas tayo. 1 pt lead lng with enough time. maybe thats really the play but i think thats the advantage of DLSU, experience. i doubt if anyone will foul a UE player who is driving hard to the ring at kung meron man, freethrow ang kapalit. tamang tama prediction ng nakakarami, basta dikit, laki ng chance ng DLSU. sana manalangin ulit mga scalpers for a game 3. heheheh

easter
10-06-2007, 09:33 AM

Joelex naman. Gusto lang namin maki-nood ng magandang laro. Wala naman masama di ba? :D

yup exactly, nothing bad intended, its the same thing anyway if you guys won against DLSU and how the DLSU peeps would cheer for UE. What's funny was when i witnessed the DLSU and FEU finals 2 seasons back, a platoon of BLUE was behind the FEU bench, Chot Reyes was even calling the shots from behind. But again like what youve said, nothing wrong with it. Go UE!

Well ganyan talaga kapag talo ka makinood ka na lang. Anyway maganda naman laban so hindi rin aksaya ng oras at natuwa ka pa. :D

tigerman
10-07-2007, 07:17 PM
Sayang yung 3 mintis niya sa foul line in the dying seconds.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

buko4
10-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Sayang yung 3 mintis niya sa foul line in the dying seconds.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

looking forward, Mark Borboran would definitely be a better player. yes, he may have missed the game winner during game 1 and he may have missed the crucial freethrows in game 2 but i am sure the he will learn from this. by the time he plays for the PBA (and i'm sure he will make it), he would be a better and experienced player. head up mark borboran, there is still a very bright future ahead.

Howard the Duck
10-07-2007, 08:55 PM
sobrang malas lang talaga bwahahah

Joescoundrel
10-14-2007, 03:19 PM
Interesting what you catch when you watch replays and get to see game video from different angles.

Apparently Lasalle did not really change its defense for Mark Borboran, same help and recovery, same extended foul line and quadrant coverages.

What was with the sudden inability to move the feet though, Marky-boy? Your usual steps from the high post were not especially covered, and the help came from where you expected it to come, and where the practise sessions trained you to expect them. How come you looked godawfully lead-footed in the Finals? Nerves?

Tsk-tsk... all that hard work down the tubes when it mattered most. And to think people were expecting more from you. Being the veteran of this team, letting them down like this is just too unfathomable.

I certianly hope this isn't you reprising the role of Bon Custodio from last season.