08-14-2007, 12:22 AM
Its a race between

Cawaling (FEU)
Mirza (UST)
Paul Lee (UE)

:P

batangueño
08-14-2007, 12:41 AM
Mirza is not included because he is not a straight from high school rookie (he is a transferee from World Citi College). Only those who qualify under the "Jai Reyes Rule" can win the Rookie of the Year award.

So far, the leading candidate for ROY this year is UP's Mike Gamboa, followed by FEU's JR Cawaling.

pablohoney
08-14-2007, 01:49 AM
Mirza is not included because he is not a straight from high school rookie (he is a transferee from World Citi College). Only those who qualify under the "Jai Reyes Rule" can win the Rookie of the Year award.

So far, the leading candidate for ROY this year is UP's Mike Gamboa, followed by FEU's JR Cawaling.

JAI REYES RULE:
The rule that prevented some TIGERS to win ROY.

BigBlue
08-14-2007, 10:04 AM

JAI REYES RULE:
The rule that prevented some TIGERS to win ROY.

it also prevented a Maroon (Doruelo) and a few Warriors (Borboran, Espiritu) from winning ROY.

mighty_lion
08-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Sorry OT: what is Jai Reyes rule? Thanks.

BigBlue
08-14-2007, 10:27 AM

i think the gist of it is that only freshmen rookies are qualified to win the award, eliminating transferees and players elevated from their school's B teams.

mighty_lion
08-14-2007, 10:32 AM

i think the gist of it is that only freshmen rookies are qualified to win the award, eliminating transferees and players elevated from their school's B teams.

I see. Kala ko meron pang ibang twist. Thanks BigBlue!

Dark Knight
08-14-2007, 11:37 AM
So, di rin pwede si Paul Lee? He's a transferee from SSC right?

Howard the Duck
08-14-2007, 01:02 PM
scrap the ROY award na lang ;D

JonarSabilano
08-14-2007, 01:18 PM
So, di rin pwede si Paul Lee? He's a transferee from SSC right?

Nope. He was in UE's Team B last year. Was in the same batch as Eric Salamat in SSC HS, though.

Dark Knight
08-14-2007, 01:49 PM
Im confused. ;D

BigBlue said di rin pwede yung players elevated from Team B. So, if Lee is from UE's Team B last year, di sya qualified maging ROY.

OK, si Mike Gamboa na lang. ;D

CM_Punk
08-14-2007, 02:01 PM
Mike Gamboa for ROY, even if UP has a horrible team record. Still needs to lessen his turnovers and improve his defense, but Mike is still having a pretty good year, and might even become the best point guard in the UAAP after a few years of improvement.

pablohoney
08-14-2007, 02:05 PM
Can somebody please list all the rookies na qualified for ROY this season 70?
Thanks.

I think the JAI REYES RULE needs a little tweaking of some sorts. May logic definitely yung rule na ito, but then again, yung ibang ROY awardees in the past hindi naman deserving maging ROY eh. ;)

RuckuS
08-14-2007, 02:27 PM
^^ yes the Jai Reyes rule has logic behind it. it prevents "VETERAN" Rookies from winning the award. even the PBA has its own version of this rule. when MBA Veterans transfered to the PBA(ex. hontiveros, ferriols, aduccul, etc.) they were disqualified from winning the ROY because they had already played previously from another professional league.

but i do agree that the rule needs to be amended to allow players who will be playing FOR THE FIRST TIME in college to be qualifed. they should at least put an age limit because 25 year old rookies would have a distinct advantage over 17-18 year old freshmen rookies.

john_paul_manahan
08-14-2007, 02:37 PM
that is why the US NCAA has the Freshman of the Year and a Newcomer of the Year.

pablohoney
08-14-2007, 02:45 PM
^ Logical din.
Magkakaroon kaya din tayo niyan dito?

Dark Knight
08-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Are transferees outside the UAAP and di qualified for ROY or pati yung transferees within the UAAP?

Example : Mike Gamboa is from Ateneo HS, he transferred to UP. Is he qualified or not? I think he is because this is the case of Woody Co last year. Wait, Im not sure if Woody Co came from LSGH or Xavier. ;D

Kashim Mirza , assuming he is a freshman, came from WCC, transferred to UST, but he is not qualified.

bluegirl
08-14-2007, 04:48 PM
Are transferees outside the UAAP and di qualified for ROY or pati yung transferees within the UAAP?

Example : Mike Gamboa is from Ateneo HS, he transferred to UP. Is he qualified or not? I think he is because this is the case of Woody Co last year. Wait, Im not sure if Woody Co came from LSGH or Xavier. ;D

Kashim Mirza , assuming he is a freshman, came from WCC, transferred to UST, but he is not qualified.

di naman considered transferring ung HS to College eh.

Woody Co is from Xavier.

i think the logic behind the Jai Reyes Rule is that only true freshmen will be included in the run for ROY. why? for one thing, may mga teams na pinapahinog muna sa team B nila ung players nila. pag 20 yrs old na and mukha nang mama, tsaka nila papasok sa team a. anu nga naman ang magiging laban ng 17-18 yr old freshman sa isang rookie veteran?

BigBlue
08-14-2007, 04:51 PM
yep, we're talking about College Transferees - they are ineligible to win the ROY.

RockLobster
08-14-2007, 05:11 PM
but i do agree that the rule needs to be amended to allow players who will be playing FOR THE FIRST TIME in college to be qualifed. they should at least put an age limit because 25 year old rookies would have a distinct advantage over 17-18 year old freshmen rookies.

Makes sense. If the age limit for UAAP basketball players is 24 (tama ba?), then maybe "rookies" coming off their residencies or team B stints can still be qualified for the award provided they are, say, at most 20 years and 6 months old on the date the UAAP opens it's season?

that is why the US NCAA has the Freshman of the Year and a Newcomer of the Year.

This makes a lot of sense, too. The awards are self-explanatory.

EDIT: I saw in another thread na si Paul Sanga is one of the few "real" freshmen daw that FEU has brought out in the past few years. If so, then may dagdag na kay Mike Gamboa sa listahan ng qualified ROY candidates.

aircanda
08-27-2007, 06:32 PM
ok sana c mirza..pamatay kc tlga eh..saktong pamalet ni duncil.. but disqualified nga.. i'll go with gamboa, cawaling got some off games eh, like in the first round match against dlsu. c gamboa, may off games dn pro may mga big games naman unlike cawaling..

cmq23
08-31-2007, 12:25 AM
I think Kirk Long should win the Rookie of the Year award. He's been making killer shots and assists since the season started. Galing din nung buzzer beater niya against UST kanina!

joelex
08-31-2007, 12:33 AM
I think Kirk Long should win the Rookie of the Year award. He's been making killer shots and assists since the season started. Galing din nung buzzer beater niya against UST kanina!

agreed, he is playing outstanding ball and has keyed his teams' last 2 wins. he is playing like a veteran.

Howard the Duck
08-31-2007, 01:47 AM
kirk long for ROY :P

Semenelin
09-02-2007, 09:27 PM
ok, wag magagalit mga tao, magtatanong lng po. if rey parks goes to the Philippines to play college ball, let's assume he goes to a UAAP school. He will need to stay for two years(residency rule) before playing right? ibig bang sabihin nun hindi na sya qualified for ROY?

ermm.. isnt espiritu of UE a true rookie in his first season in the league? ???

dahil hindi pwede si sanga at si mirza, kay andi ako for ROY. bakit, rookie naman sya ah...

joelex
09-02-2007, 09:35 PM
ok, wag magagalit mga tao, magtatanong lng po. if rey parks goes to the Philippines to play college ball, let's assume he goes to a UAAP school. He will need to stay for two years(residency rule) before playing right? ibig bang sabihin nun hindi na sya qualified for ROY?

dahil hindi pwede si sanga at si mirza, kay andi ako for ROY. bakit, rookie naman sya ah...

bakit di pwd si sanga? college transferee ba siya and from what school?

ewe_rach
09-02-2007, 09:39 PM
^ paul sanga is eligible. he's a rookie from la salle college-antipolo.

Ranger
09-02-2007, 10:36 PM
I'm not sure if Sanga is eligible or a freshman rookie. I remember him playing in the filoil homegrown cup last year. He even made it to the mythical team..

bchoter
09-02-2007, 11:36 PM
Kirk is a long shot. He doesn't have the same playing time as the other rookies and he has to share time with Laterre

batangueño
09-02-2007, 11:58 PM
It seems like the race for Rookie of the Year is now between Mike Gamboa and JR Cawaling. Gamboa may have the upper hand as far as stats are concerned but Cawaling's advantage is that he is part of a possible Final Four contender FEU Tamaraws. ???

Howard the Duck
09-03-2007, 12:13 AM
if both teams are eliminated, i'd go for gamboa ;D

Semenelin
09-03-2007, 08:52 AM

bakit di pwd si sanga? college transferee ba siya and from what school?

tamad ako maghanap ng post ngayon pero may nagsabi na nagTeam B sya ng FEU. kung susundin natin na ang pwede lamang magROY ay galing HS, hindi na pwede si sanga.

batangueño
09-03-2007, 09:54 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but as far as I know and heard, Paul Sanga was drafted into the Tamaraws after he wowed FEU recruiters and crowds during an intramurals match. After seeing how Sanga played there, the FEU recruiters invited him to try his luck in the seniors kaya napunta muna siya sa FEU Team B tapos ngayon, nasa FEU Team A na siya. Kung ganun nga, hindi na qualified si Sanga for the ROY.

sa_pula
09-05-2007, 05:47 AM
sayang si paul lee.ng team B pa kasi eh.bata pa pala to 18 p lang..

bchoter
09-05-2007, 10:07 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but as far as I know and heard, Paul Sanga was drafted into the Tamaraws after he wowed FEU recruiters and crowds during an intramurals match. After seeing how Sanga played there, the FEU recruiters invited him to try his luck in the seniors kaya napunta muna siya sa FEU Team B tapos ngayon, nasa FEU Team A na siya. Kung ganun nga, hindi na qualified si Sanga for the ROY.
He definitely needs a haircut

cobym
09-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Even though I'd like to see Kirk Long or Noy Baclao bag the award...overall... I think Mirza has it. The kid will be a headache for UST's foes for years.

Howard the Duck
09-08-2007, 11:48 PM
any one has a list of all legit ROY candidates, kahit yung mga bangko?

AnthonyServinio
09-09-2007, 12:34 AM

AdU - Lester Alvarez
ADMU - Kirk Long, Bacon Austria
DLSU - Ferdinand
UE - none
FEU - JR Cawaling, Jens Knuttel
NU - Joseph Terso, Jewel Ponferrada
UST - none
UP - Mike Gamboa, Socrates Rivera, Mark Lopez, Dexter Rosales, Julius Wong

Note: I may have missed a player or two from the NU and AdU teams.

john_paul_manahan
09-09-2007, 10:26 AM
i think the adamson hs studs like olalia are in the lineup of adamson

Howard the Duck
09-09-2007, 12:48 PM

AdU - Lester Alvarez
ADMU - Kirk Long, Bacon Austria
DLSU - Ferdinand
UE - none
FEU - JR Cawaling, Jens Knuttel
NU - Joseph Terso, Jewel Ponferrada
UST - none
UP - Mike Gamboa, Socrates Rivera, Mark Lopez, Dexter Rosales, Julius Wong

Note: I may have missed a player or two from the NU and AdU teams.

Then it's Kirk for me ;D

se7en
09-09-2007, 10:22 PM
jr cawaling for me..

austin316
09-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Malabes!!!

Malabes!!

Malabes!!

bchoter
09-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Abay kalabisan namang panalunin si Malabes...
I'd rather pick the longshot Kirk

Apocrypha
09-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Kirk is an appealing choice, but I think JR Cawaling is ahead on stats.

GHRanger
09-13-2007, 03:34 PM
^ Agree. JR Cawaling has played more consistently than Kirk Long.

Jump_Shooter
09-13-2007, 10:34 PM
Cawaling is way ahead on stats. Surprisingly, Gamboa is second, just a head of Long.

JonarSabilano
09-14-2007, 09:56 AM
^A clear case of the Good-Player-On-A-Bad-Team Syndrome.

But hey, if his teammates had converted half of the passes they flubbed, or if Mike had cut down on his TOs, UP wouldn't have been winless, and the gap between Cawaling and Gamboa would be much closer.

Howard the Duck
09-14-2007, 11:33 AM
With what Cawaling did yesterday, he now has my vote for ROY ;D

ganado ang mga rookies tuwing UST ang kalaban :P

pablohoney
09-14-2007, 12:34 PM
^ Agree.
ROY na siya for me, since di naman pwede si Khazim.
Gamboa? Too inconsistent for me, and sobrang dami niya pang turnovers.

bchoter
09-14-2007, 01:26 PM
^ And it doesn't help when you're playing for a losing team. Cawaling, on the other hand, plays a prominent role in a winning team.

yuck_UE
09-20-2007, 05:26 AM
Cawaling definitely. other option is Gamboa or Long(but Kirk isn't qualified)

whoever thought that Paul Lee or Fampulme stands a chance(assuming they're qualified) has some loose nuts.

robin1212
09-20-2007, 09:06 AM
JR Cawaling is the hands-down choice for ROY!

bluegirl
09-20-2007, 09:26 AM

whoever thought that Paul Lee or Fampulme stands a chance(assuming they're qualified) has some loose nuts.

if i'm not mistaken, kirk is qualified.

zooma123
09-20-2007, 11:23 AM
Cawaling or Long -- either way, they deserve it.

Gamboa is a longshot given how UP played, point guard pa naman din.

erichubert
09-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Kirk is qualified because he is fresh out of high school. His being a foreigner doesn't have any effect on his chance to win any awards. :) For me its either Cawaling or Gamboa. Despite the woeful showing of UP, Gamboa was one of the few bright spots really, the fact that he played well despite the disarray the team was in should give him added points.

yuck_UE
09-21-2007, 02:17 AM

if i'm not mistaken, kirk is qualified.

my bad. thanks for the correction, just heard it from someone before that he's not qualified. :)

batangueño
10-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Congratulations to JR Cawaling of the FEU Tamaraws, 2007 UAAP Rookie of the Year. :)