PDA

View Full Version : Pumaren says Archers lacked killer instinct

gameface_one
08-13-2007, 08:35 AM
Pumaren says Archers lacked killer instinct

By NICK GIONGCO
mb.com.ph

IT WAS already way past 8 p.m. of Saturday and the Araneta Coliseum was already devoid of noise except for the swishing sound created by the utility who was sweeping the rubbish that had been left on the floor and the stands by the supporters of the winning and losing teams.

Family members of the La Salle coaching staff and players, however, were either loitering around waiting for the door to open or engaging in trivial pursuits as they keenly await for their loved ones to emerge from the lonely dressing room after absorbing a 81-73 overtime loss to University of Santo Tomas.

And when the door of La Salle’s dugout finally opened, they heaved a big sigh of relief.

But their excitement to go home was ruined as they saw the faces of La Salle players – all depressed and almost in tears.

They were locked up for almost an hour, and of course, everybody knew what transpired in that long period.

So they tried to light up the situation but to avail.

While their dugout appeared like a funeral house, the defending champions Tigers went out as if they won in a lottery.

UST’s win was a blast.

And for La Salle coach Franz Pumaren, he described their meltdown as surreal.

Ahead by 12 points with barely two minutes left in regulation, La Salle fell into a quagmire, leaving not only the coaching staff but its rabid gallery in a state of shock.

"Lessons learned," said Pumaren, still sounding bitter over the manner with the way the game ended.

"We were playing well in the first 38 minutes and I guess my players just became complacent. They relaxed," said Pumaren, whose last taste of loss at the hands of Santo Tomas took place in the 1999 finals.

Adding injury to insult was the fact that La Salle had to wait agonizingly for confirmation that JV Casio, who was taken out of the court for what appeared to be at first a serious knee problem late in the game, is actually well.

"Casio suffered a bruised thigh but he’ll be okay," added Pumaren, who also had to go through the proverbial eye of the needle in escaping the Tigers’ wrath in their first-round encounter.

And for the Tigers?

Well, all signs point to a roaring second round for the Tigers.

"Aarangkada pa ito," said winning coach Pido Jarencio when asked about what to expect from his underrated squad.

bigfreeze_bibby
08-13-2007, 08:57 AM
"Aarangkada pa ito," said winning coach Pido Jarencio when asked about what to expect from his underrated squad.

I don't think the Tigers are underrated. They are a good team on a momentum high as of the moment. They have this feeling na they can beat anybody na pakalaban mo sa kanila.

pio_valenz
08-13-2007, 04:08 PM

I don't think the Tigers are underrated.* They are a good team on a momentum high as of the moment.* They have this feeling na they can beat anybody na pakalaban mo sa kanila.

That's what being a defending champion can do to you. Been there, done that na sila, so they feel as long as they play their game, they will win. They played the last two mintues against La Salle the way they played overtime of Game 3 last year: very loosely. It was almost as if they were enjoying themselves out there.

Dark Knight
08-14-2007, 12:15 AM
The Tigers real test will be against the Warriors. If they beat UE, then they will have a big chance to go back to back.

christian
08-14-2007, 10:36 PM
IMO, if there's something the Archers are lacking right now, it would be TY Tang.

batangueño
08-15-2007, 12:07 AM
All the Archers need to do now is to play good team basketball. No more, no less. ;)

bigfreeze_bibby
08-15-2007, 06:58 AM
All the Archers need to do now is to play good team basketball. No more, no less. ;)

This I have to agree since even if Ty is not playing that well at present, at least someone from the bench will fill his shoes for his "off days". That's one crucial factor so that opposing teams will also have a hard time setting up their defensive strategies against the Archers.

flsfnoeraekadad
08-15-2007, 10:29 AM
I don't think so. They have been playing okay as of late. They need lang that Jordan-esque and Kobe-esque killer instinct. Once they smell blood or they sense fear and discouragement from the opposition, go for the kill na! No questions asked.

batangueño
08-15-2007, 02:02 PM
I don't think so. They have been playing okay as of late. They need lang that Jordan-esque and Kobe-esque killer instinct. Once they smell blood or they sense fear and discouragement from the opposition, go for the kill na! No questions asked.

They may have the killer instinct that Franz is looking for but if they still do not play team basketball (take note: masyadong umaasa lately ang La Salle kay JV, which is quite wrong), they would still be losing games. ::)

flsfnoeraekadad
08-15-2007, 02:33 PM
Batangueño, I agree. So I guess kailangan na ng Archers yung dalawa. ::)