PDA

View Full Version : The Big J to Coach Air21?

freak
02-13-2007, 11:06 AM
got this from inquirer.net..

Jaworski ready for coaching comeback

Inquirer
Last updated 02:07am (Mla time) 02/13/2007

MANILA, Philippines -- Robert Jaworski, who rode his basketball popularity to a seat in the Philippine Senate, will soon return to the scene of his countless exploits in the past as head coach of one of the most exciting teams in the Philippine Basketball Association.

Pasig Rep. Robert “Dodot” Jaworski Jr., the former senator’s son and namesake, said on Monday that his father, popularly known as the “Living Legend” of Philippine basketball, is being courted by at least two teams -- Air21 and Talk ‘N Text -- for a celebrated comeback in the pro league.

Dodot added in the interview with Pasig reporters that his father has already expressed willingness to return as coach and is now deciding on which team to handle.

“There were offers and he’s still thinking which team to coach,” said the young Jaworski, who briefly played under his father for the Ginebra franchise in the late 90s.

He said his father would start calling the shots for either Air21 or Talk ‘N Text in the import-laced second conference.

“There’s always a special place in my father’s heart for basketball,” said Jaworski Jr. “Let’s wait for his decision.”

After his retirement in 1999, Jaworski ran for senator and won. Sources said Jaworski is also being considered to serve as executive director of the BAP-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas, the new unified body of the sport in the country.

As playing coach in the pro league, Jaworski captured four championships, the last of which was the 1997 Commissioner’s Cup for Gordon’s Gin. He also mentored the all-PBA national team to a silver-medal finish in the 1990 Asian Games.

Winner of the MVP award in 1978 while playing for the Toyota team, Jaworski won his first championship as a playing coach in the 1986 Open Conference, when his Ginebra squad defeated Manila Beer in the Finals.

Jaworski was also the architect of one of the greatest comebacks in PBA Finals history after Ginebra rose from a 1-3 deficit to turn back Shell Velocity in Game 7 of the 1991 First Conference finals.

In 24 seasons in the PBA, the 60-year-old Jaworski, a six-time Mythical team member, played a total of 958 games, with career averages of 12.3 points, 5.6 rebounds, 6.1 assists and a steal per game. With a report from June Navarro

hmm.. watcha tink guys?

Kid Cubao
02-14-2007, 08:23 AM
the knock on jawo as coach is that his free-wheeling, seat-of-the-pants approach became an open target for methodical, scientific bench mentors. in jawo's waning seasons at ginebra, head coaches like tim cone, derick pumaren, perry ronquillo, ron jacobs, and norman black looked forward to meeting up ginebra for the chance of attacking the gin kings' weaknesses and drawing large crowds in the process.

what i am saying is that teams interested in hiring robert jaworski as head coach will be taking large risks as far as the bottom line--the winning part--is concerned. however, i am inclined to say that jaworski as a crowd-drawer is undiminished. for me, perhaps one way of bringing the living legend up to speed in today's coaching environment is to hire talented assistants who will do the heavy lifting for him in practice sessions and coaching meetings. and let him do the thing he is good at--his instinctive feel for game situations.

full battle gear
02-14-2007, 10:35 AM
Air21 confirms interest in Jaworski

By Musong R. Castillo
Inquirer
Last updated 02:26am (Mla time) 02/14/2007

MANILA, Philippines -- Air21 wants Robert Jaworski to handle the Express in the Philippine Basketball Association.

A statement issued Tuesday by the Air21 franchise said that Jaworski will meet with team manager Lito Alvarez on Thursday to discuss the possibility of the “Big J” holding a front-office position or, better yet, calling the shots for the Express.

“We’re very excited at the possibility of hiring him to coach the Express for the coming conference,” Alvarez said in the statement. “But of course, we would like to hear his thoughts first on whether he would like to be head of our basketball operations, or assume a full-time coaching job.”

Jaworski, arguably the most charismatic figure ever to play and coach in the professional league, is being wooed to take over the job currently held by Bo Perasol.

“He (Perasol) will slide down to assistant coach once the former senator agrees,” Alvarez said. “There won’t be a problem with coach Bo. As a matter of fact, he’s excited at the prospect of working with him.”

Jaworski won practically every award given to a player in the PBA, including the Most Valuable Player trophy in 1978, before becoming the first playing coach to win a championship with Añejo Rum in the late 1980s.

The 60-year-old, who won a seat in the Senate after a glorious 24-year professional career, won four titles with the Ginebra franchise. He was the man responsible for instilling Ginebra’s never-say-die attitude.

Alvarez said he isn’t putting undue pressure on Jaworski to transform the Express team overnight.

full battle gear
02-14-2007, 10:42 AM
Air21 in hot pursuit of Jawo

www.mb.com.ph

Air21, which has yet to enter the semifinals of the PBA since joining the league in 2002, disclosed yesterday that it will open negotiations with former basketball icon Robert Jaworski to be the team’s coach, hoping that the Big J’s legendary never-say-die attributes would rub on the Express.

The Express finished sixth in the ongoing PBA conference with a 7-11 elimination record and 10-12 final win-loss card counting the wildcard phase.

Air21 team manager Lito Alvarez said he is meeting with Jaworski tomorrow in a an exploratory discussion aimed at making the former PBA star and player-coach as mentor of the Express team which is owned by businessman Bert Lina.

"We’re very excited at the possibility of hiring him to coach the Express for the coming conference. But of course, we would like to hear his thoughts first on whether he would like to be head of our basketball operations, or assume a full-time coaching job," said Alvarez.

The Express team manager said the Linas have long been friends with the former senator, who has been a constant guest of honor/speaker of the Tour ng Pilipinas, which Philcycling president Bert Lina revived years ago.

Alvarez also said that he sees no problem regarding the future of their current coach Bo Perasol who is a regular Air21 employee.

"He (Perasol) will slide down to assistant coach once the former senator agrees. As a matter of fact, Bo is very excited to be working for someone as successful as Sen. Jaworski, marami daw siyang matutunan. And besides, empleyado naman talaga ng Airfreight 2100 si Bo kaya walang problema," said Alvarez.

Jaworski’s magic touch, according to Alvarez, might be what the doctored ordered the Express.

"Sen. Jaworski has been successful in every endeavor where he dipped his hands into. First as a player, then as a coach and more recently, as a senator. Just the thought of him coaching this team gives me the goose bumps," said Alvarez.

The Express team manager said he isn’t putting pressure on Jaworski to transform the Express team overnight.

"Even his former Ginebra team didn’t become a champion team in such a short time. But what’s important is the system that he will infuse into the our squad and the tremendous amount of learning that the players will derive. Those are unquantifiable, and only someone like Sen. Jaworski can bring into the Express," said Alvarez.

GHRanger
02-26-2007, 04:40 PM
Here's another note on the Big J.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadlines/sports/view_article.php?article_id=51458

---ooo---
Rest of the article snipped...
---ooo---

HOOPVINE: By now everybody should know that Koy Banal’s older brother Joel has become a member of the Alaska coaching staff … I heard about the get-together hosted by former Crispa Redmanizer Danny Florencio for former teammates at a place called Bar One in Robinson’s Galleria. Danny, who has doubled in size and weight since he migrated to the United States, introduced his new wife to the group which included Rudy Soriano, Rey Franco, Ernie de Leon, Epoy Alcantara, Billy Abarrientos, Bogs Adornado, Johnny Revilla, Philip Cezar, Atoy Co and Jun Celis, most of whom are now senior citizens or close to being one … I heard that the old gang had a fun time singing, dancing, and mostly just reminiscing about the good old Crispa days … I heard that the Big J is getting himself in good physical condition for a coaching job from Air21 that he is seriously considering.

----

Air21... Coach kaya tradeable din? :D :D :D

Bennie Bangag
02-26-2007, 05:45 PM
off topic:

is it possible that beth celis got her facts all mixed up yet again? as a longtime basketball fan, i don't recall danny florencio ever becoming a member of the legendary crispa redmanizers. as far as i remember, he starred for royal tru orange and toyota in the early years of the PBA. he hurriedly left for the states after he was implicated in a game fixing scandal, and as they say, flight is tantamount to an admission of guilt.

rudy soriano is now refereeing in the ongoing FMC3 tournament. ernie de leon used to be the PBA's top referee until his retirement. now he is active in interbank basketball leagues, having gone back to banking himself. billy abarrientos is johnny A's uncle. johnny revilla used to be one of the PBA's more notorious characters. and the big J should have just accepted a position in the new basketball body.

Mateen Cleaves
03-19-2007, 03:25 PM
Danny Florencio did play for Crispa in the MICAA. But he was banned together with Jun Papa, Epoy Alcantara, Rudy Soriano (?) and several others for point-shaving. I think, but am not sure, that when the PBA was formed, these guys were still blacklisted. By then, the core of the Redmanizers was built around Adornado, Co, Cezar, and Fabiosa.

It shouldn't be a surprise that Beth Celis knows the old-time Redmanizers because her husband, Jun, was himself a Redmanizer in the MICAA days.

MonL
03-19-2007, 05:15 PM
Danny Florencio did play for Crispa in the MICAA. But he was banned together with Jun Papa, Epoy Alcantara, Rudy Soriano (?) and several others for point-shaving. I think, but am not sure, that when the PBA was formed, these guys were still blacklisted. By then, the core of the Redmanizers was built around Adornado, Co, Cezar, and Fabiosa.

It shouldn't be a surprise that Beth Celis knows the old-time Redmanizers because her husband, Jun, was himself a Redmanizer in the MICAA days.

Danny Florencio was still able to play for the National Team in the 1974 Tehran Asian Games, though (I used to have posters or trading cards of my favorite national players obtained from Coca Cola's "under the tansan" promotions then, and I collected them all, that's why I remember these players very well :)). Rudy Soriano also played on Crispa's MICAA Champion team in 1974 and also had his Tehran Asiad Nationals stint in the country's* last "pure amateur" squad composed of the best players we could ever field in the Asiad prior to the advent of the PBA.

Jeep
03-20-2007, 10:29 AM
I used to have posters or trading cards of my favorite national players obtained from Coca Cola's "under the tansan" promotions then, and I collected them all, that's why I remember these players very well :).

OT:

...the bottlecaps, and one huge peso, got you a poster. i had about 5 of those, each one bigger than i was then! can't recall whose posters i had, but i can remember atoy co and francis arnaiz.

back to topic:

i never did like the big J. i know a lot of people did and still do, though, and that's why he is what he is today: the legend. that being the case, i feel he ought to have a seat in the new SBP-BAP, a chair emeritus or some similar honorific -- he and "the big difference," carlos loyzaga.

freak
07-05-2007, 01:52 AM
news of Big J's return of the comeback:

Talks underway for Jaworski return as PBA coach

By Musong R. Castillo
Inquirer
Last updated 05:44pm (Mla time) 07/04/2007

MANILA, Philippines -- Robert Jaworski will be making his much-anticipated return to the Philippine Basketball Association, the league he helped make great, in the next season.

That is, if a greater calling does not get in the way.

The 6-foot Living Legend, one of the finest all-around players this
country has ever produced, has resumed talks with Air21 management about a coaching job after the contracts of Bo Perasol and his team were not renewed.

Sources said that management had actually talked to members of Perasol’s staff and that only Perasol would remain with the Express for next year as he would be named Jaworski’s chief deputy.

Air21 and the former senator actually opened talks even before the
on-going PBA Fiesta Cup started, but nothing came about and the reasons for this were never really divulged.

Now, it seems that the only thing standing in the way for Jaworski’s
return is a rumored appointment as William “Butch” Ramirez’s replacement as chairman of the Philippine Sports Commission.

Malacañang had also asked Ramirez and his commissioners to also tender their resignations last week, and talk has been swirling around that Jaworski, a PBA pioneer who won titles as a player and coach, was being eyed for Ramirez’s position.

Team manager Lito Alvarez did not return text messages or answered phone calls of the Philippine Daily Inquirer, parent company of INQUIRER.net.

“It is very clear that we don’t have an explosive lineup like the other teams,” Perasol told the Inquirer over the phone. “And if a Jaworski is there [to coach], I’m sure the team will be fired up more
and will perform ever better. Plus of course, his name is good for our [Air21] brand name.”

Perasol, who is also employed as the global operations head of FedEx, Air21’s mother company, was responsible for the franchise’s best-ever
PBA finish of third place which happened in the Fiesta Cup last year.

He said that he would have no problems sliding down to an assistant’s
position.

“I am not privy to the negotiations,” Perasol said. “I don’t know any of
the details of their talks other than it [negotiations] have been on-going even during the conference (current Fiesta Cup).”

“Having a Jaworski would be great and I have no problems with that,” he added. “I am a corporate guy, and I just do as I am told and will be
happy doing it.”

In other Air21 developments, management reportedly turned down two trade offers from Coca-Cola and Talk ‘N Text for Gary David, the injured swingman who was one of the top local scorers of the tournament.

David, who averaged more than 24 points a night for the Express in the
tournament, will be ready by November, close to two months after the
next season opens. He is recovering from arthroscopic surgery that repaired a torn ACL.

Wang-Bu
07-05-2007, 09:01 AM
Bagama't idol ko si Tatang tila yata nahuhuli na siya sa modernong laro. Ewan ko lang kung merong kayang mag-assistant sa kanya na magagawang mag-insist na maging mas systematic ang mga ensayo at mga game plan ng sinomang koponan na hahawakan ni Jawo. Sa laki ng alamat ni Idol wala sigurong kayang magsabi sa kanya na dapat ganito o ganyan ang sistema ng palakad nila.

Kung ako kay Idol dun na lang ako sa SBP, tancha ko kasi mas malaki ang magagawa niyang mabuti dun kaysa kung magbalik siya sa pagiging coach.

Howard the Duck
07-05-2007, 11:33 AM
dati gusto ko sa a21... next season ayoko na sa kanila :P

gameface_one
07-05-2007, 01:03 PM
Jaworski returning to PBA next season

PSC chairmanship may deter Air21 stint

By Musong R. Castillo
Inquirer
Last updated 02:23am (Mla time) 07/05/2007

MANILA, Philippines -- Robert Jaworski will be making his much-anticipated return to the Philippine Basketball Association, the league he helped make great, in the next season.

That is, if a greater calling does not get in the way.

The 6-foot Living Legend, one of the finest all-around players this country has ever produced, has resumed talks with Air21 management about a coaching job after the contracts of Bo Perasol and his team were not renewed.

Sources said that management had actually talked to members of Perasol’s staff and told them that only Perasol will remain with the Express for next year as he will be named Jaworski’s chief deputy.

Air21 and the former senator actually opened talks even before the ongoing PBA Fiesta Cup started, but no deal was sealed.

Now, it seems that the only thing standing in the way of Jaworski’s return is the former senator’s rumored appointment as William “Butch” Ramirez’s replacement as chair of the Philippine Sports Commission.

Malacañang had also asked Ramirez and his commissioners to tender their resignations last week, and talk has been swirling around that Jaworski is being eyed for Ramirez’s position.

Air21 team manager Lito Alvarez did not return messages or answer phone calls of the Philippine Daily Inquirer, parent company of INQUIRER.net.

“It is very clear that we don’t have an explosive lineup like the other teams,” Perasol told the Inquirer over the phone. “And if a Jaworski is there (to coach), I’m sure the team will be fired up more and will perform even better.

“Plus of course, his name is good for our (Air21) brand name.”

Perasol is also employed as the global operations head of FedEx, whose Philippine franchise is owned by Air21. He was responsible for the third-place finish of the team in the Fiesta Cup last year, the franchise’s best-ever PBA finish.

He said that he will have no problems sliding down to an assistant’s position.

“I am not privy to the negotiations,” Perasol said. “I don’t know any of the details of their talks other than it (negotiations) has been ongoing even during the [current Fiesta Cup].”

In other Air21 developments, management reportedly turned down two trade offers from Coca-Cola and Talk ‘N Text for Gary David, the injured swingman who was one of the top local scorers of the tournament.

David, who averaged more than 24 points a night for the Express in the tournament, will be ready by November, close to two months after the next season opens. He is recovering from arthroscopic surgery that repair a torn ACL.

Mikhail
08-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Great Read!
original link: http://hoops.blink.ph/2007/07/24/the-robert-jaworski-–-air21-personnel-check-list/

The Robert Jaworski – Air21 Personnel Check List

I am excited to see Robert Jaworski wearing Air21 Jacket that has “COACH” written at the back, with numero siyete in front. Encircled, man. The “number 7” should be encircled, the deal is off if it has no circle.

Anyways, with reports that the Big J is coming back to the PBA, a lot of mobile phones are on a 24-hour watch waiting for a Robert Jaworski call.

Here are the possible guys that Jaworski and Air21 have on their checklist.

Noli Locsin - Part-time Power Forward and Cheap Shots Mentor

This guy, born 1971, could still play. The latter part of Jaworski-led Ginebra, I am big fan of Noli Locsin. Being only 6-2, playing power-forward and not being able to develop his outside shooting spelled is quick PBA exit. But playing for Jaworski’s bahala na rugged game, he could do some “damage” (I was informed that his “suki”, Nic Belasco is now planning to retire if ever Noli Locsin suits up for Air 21. Nic got a lot of solid hits from Noli back in 1997 and 1998 seasons).

Bal David - Cuteness Factor

For Air21 team, a team compose mainly of thugs-looking (Se and Torion), muscle bound players (Gary David and Arboleda), they need some semblance of cuteness. That’s where the immense cuteness of Bal David kicks in. Note that, Bal David’s work description requires him to do nothing. No playing time. No team managing. He will just sit on the bench and smile throughout the game. God, whatta cute fella.

Marlou Aquino - Scoop Shot Practitioner

His productive years, he played for Robert Jaworksi. Who knows, SLR might trade Marlou Aquino to Air21 for one delivery van. I hope SLR needs a delivery van.

Leo Isaac - Assistant Coach

Since Leo Isaac is beginning to annoy me with his TV style (stuff like, “Sinnnnnaaaaaabi mooooo pppaarrrtneeer!”, “Oo en noh!”), I’ll have a more peaceful PBA viewing if he’s Jaworski’s assistant. In the amateur circuit, he has proven that he has the mettle. But in the pro-league, he is not tested. What a way to jumpstart his PBA coaching career than by sitting beside Jaworski and hold that “court-board” and “nips-magnet”. When Jaworski says, “Homer Ito Ka!” and Homer says “ Eto Coach?”, Leo could then interrupt and say, “Siiiinnnnaaaabii mo paaaaa!”. And, when Jawo sings, “When I am 64″, Isaac with all his mustache glory, could step in a seasoned coach and trained by Jawo.

Benny Cheng and Wilmer Ong - Body Guards

It’s a trend that coaches are having some run-ins (Frankie Lim – Yeng Guioa – Pido Jarencio), Air21 might need to get the two to protect the Big J. Jaworski is no longer the Jaworski of old, he is the Old Jaworski (he’s senior citizen for God’s sake, he has 20% discount on Jollibee meal no. 7). The tandem of Ong and Cheng has 12 fouls, err, 12 punches combined to give per game. They’ll be given leather jackets with “Chekwa Assassins” at the back.

Dodot Jaworski - Team Manager

Hey, Dodot is unemployed (losing the Pasig cityhall), he is articulate and educated. He is the shoo-in manager for Air21. Plus, he is known to tag along his Dad’s racket (Jaworski’s Senate Office Chief of Staff 1998 – 2004 and Ginebra three-point bomber from 1995 to 1998 with career average of .07 points and 5 fouls per game. 348 career fouls committed just by covering Alvin Patrimonio).

Ryan Jaworski - Toyota Innova Driver

Without the Pasig political chaos, the death threats, the car bombs, I feel Ryan Jaworski would do well driving for his dad. Paging Toyota Balintawak, Air21 needs a new Innova. If time permits, I recommend Ryan Jaworski to beef up the Chekwa Assasins so all 210 pounds of him wont be idle. This job has drawback for Ryan. Being employed full-time by a PBA team, he will no longer be able to engage on PBA-NBA betting with rich highscool boys that could result again in gun pointing and potential drive by shooting.

Pido Jarencio – Stand-up Comic Assistant

With a safe haven (SMC), will he consider jumping ship? Will he ditch Danding in favor of Jaworski. My guess is no but I could only hope he will join Jaworski “bad-wagon”.

Peter Aguilar - Air21’s Agent to recruit, well, Japeth Aguilar

Jaworski gave Peter a break during his playing days. It’s but fitting for Peter Aguilar to give back to the godfather by applying for an Air21 job. The Resident Japeth Aguilar Recruiter.

Almost but not quite, or almost and cellphone quiet.

Philip Cezar - Just like Jaworski, he’s been out of basketball coaching some years now. I doubt if he can bring much. Wait, if Aquino goes to Air21, he can be the special assistant. He will continue the work he did for Marlou Aquino. He’s the guy who taught Aquino how to scoop your way to 10 points per game. From a 6-9 center who got a decent turn-around jump shot 12 feet and nearer, he turned Marlou to a freakin scooping giant. What a waste.

Chito Loyzaga - Qualified to be a team manager, but Dodot has the job now. Besides, Chito is under SMC now, he’s part of the “SMC-Revolvers” a.k.a. SMC team managers pool.

Rino Salazar - Jaworski’s been trying to call him the past week but Jaworski keeps on getting, “the subscriber cannot be reached please try again later”. Apparently, no signal in Alaska USA. A telegram was later sent the other day by the Air21 camp. Salazar respectfully sent back a telegram. I was able to get a copy of the telegram. And it says, “sory sonny am coachin here in alaska. Icoach d ubuntu eskimo brown bear hunters”.

Jayvee Gayoso – He was offered team PR manager position by Air21 but he declined. He said is too busy filming a remake of a flick (Daddy’s Angel) he did with Alma Concepcion. The title is Daddy’s Angel Ver 2. The filming is a bit delayed now coz every time Alma comes to the set, she has a new face. Another film that Gayoso will film before the year ends, is a new team up with Ruffa Guttierez. Ruffa will play, well, Ruffa and Gayoso will play the role of Ylmas Bektas. A true to life adaptation. It will be in the Basic Instinct and Fatal Attraction genres. The working title is said to be “Turkish Bath Grabeeee!” or “Mom! Grabeeee! Kill the turkey! It’s thanks giving day!”

Benjie Paras – Too bad, too bad. This guy sat out one conference back in 1993 because he wanted to play for no one but Jaworski. Just was off timing that when Jaworski came calling yesterday, Benjie is already 39 years old and he is busy with TV gigs (including a new sports show over at Channel 9). But the main reason he gave to Robert Jaworski, he’ll be very busy filming another movie. Opposite again, hot mama, Ruffa Guttierez. The title is “Dunkin Donato Grabe!” Plus, intimately, he said to Jaworski, he will not be able to accept playing for Air21 while Jacky Forster is cheering wildly for future PBA black import named, “Jack S. D. Ripper.”

Well, Jaworski said then, “I need a victory!” If he will be able to get the correct personnel and players, victory will come his way. I have given him a short-list above for a successful campaign, hope this will reach him.

Sam Miguel
08-07-2007, 06:12 PM
He can also get Rudy Distrito to scout for cons who want a second career once they are eligible for parole. ;D

pio_valenz
08-07-2007, 08:59 PM
This is far from a done deal. In fact, it might not get done at all.

bluetruck
08-24-2007, 08:10 PM
i think that the big j wants to be commish.

gameface_one
09-15-2007, 10:18 AM
Jaworski – coach or commish?

By JOAQUIN HENSON
The Philippine Star

PBA legend Robert Jaworski could be the next Air21 coach but if he’s offered the commissioner’s job, it looks like the Big J will opt to take over from Noli Eala instead.

That’s the word from a close Jaworski associate who declined to be identified. The associate said Friday Jaworski is in the US and will be back next week.

Air21 assistant coach Allan Gregorio said the Express is waiting for Jaworski’s confirmation on whether or not to call the shots for the PBA club this coming season.

At the moment, Air21 continues to practice everyday from 9 a.m. to 12 noon at the Xavier School gym with coach Bo Perasol supervising the workouts. Perasol said recently he will slide down to assistant coach if Jaworski decides to join the team.

Nothing is certain as to who will replace Eala as PBA commissioner. Sonny Barrios was recently named OIC to function as commissioner but it is only on a temporary capacity. Barrios said he is not available to work as permanent commissioner beyond the Philippine Cup conference opening Oct. 14.

It was rumored that the top three candidates to succeed Eala are Jaworski, business executive Lambert Ramos and lawyer Chito Salud. Freddie Webb and Chito Narvasa are also in contention.

Salud’s father Rudy was a former PBA commissioner. Salud, a lawyer, is now working as a consultant with Barrios in the PBA on a pro bono basis. He is the former president of the National Home Mortgage Finance Corp. and the Natural Resources Development Corp.

Jaworski, 61, has not officially retired from the PBA as a player although his last game was during the 1998 season, his 24th in the league. He led Barangay Ginebra to four championships as a playing coach in 1986, 1988, 1991 and 1997.

Jaworski’s return will be a big boost to the PBA which reached its peak of popularity during the Big J’s halcyon years. His charisma is what Air21 officials hope will inspire the Express to improve on its 22-22 record last year when the Bert Lina franchise finished seventh in the Philippine Cup and sixth in the Fiesta Conference.

Gregorio said the team is on the lookout for big men with Mark Telan gone to Coca-Cola and Mark Andaya to Red Bull. From the rookie draft, the Express got a lift from J. C. Intal, Doug Kramer and Marvin Cruz. Returning from last season’s cast are Arwind Santos, K. G. Canaleta, Wynne Arboleda, Aris Dimaunahan, Homer Se, Gary David and Ranidel de Ocampo.

David was the second leading local scorer, behind James Yap, in the Fiesta Conference until he was sidelined by an ACL injury last May. He is expected back in uniform in the first week of December. For the season, David wound up averaging 20.6 points, third in local scoring behind Mark Caguioa (24.6) and Danny Seigle (22.2).

In the Philippine Cup, Air21 will welcome back de Ocampo who was on loan to the national team during the Fiesta Conference.

Trying out for a spot in the Express roster is rookie draftee R. J. Masbang. Burly center Ryan Bernardo is not practicing with the team but is on call. Guard Jimwell Torion has been released and is now in Cebu.

gameface_one
10-25-2007, 09:44 AM
IN HUDDLE
Big J coming home soon

By Beth Celis
Inquirer
Last updated 03:41am (Mla time) 10/25/2007

MANILA, Philippines -- Manny Victorino’s colleague Abe King does not believe there was anything sinister behind the bullets found in the cager’s possession at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport.

“Manny must have left the bullets in the bag after shooting practice,” said the Washington-based Abe, who came to Manila recently to invite Manny and other Philippine Basketball Association cage legends to play a series of exhibition games in the United States in March next year to raise funds for PBA Legends USA Foundation, of which he is the chair.

Manny was on the way to Guam when he was held at the airport.

He was later released after posting bail.

Speaking of Guam, this is a place where visiting Filipinos usually get into trouble at the airport.

A fellow sports scribe was almost nabbed by Guam immigration when a sniffing dog detected an illegal substance in his hand-carried bag.

Immediately our colleague was asked to empty the contents of the bag. Nothing looked suspicious except for a sealed Manila envelop.

Our colleague told airport police that only his dentures were inside, as he gave them a wide, toothless grin to prove it.

The authorities later apologized. Our colleague learned his lesson. From thereon, he wore his dentures every time he traveled, cleaning them first very well before he did.

Horse owner Reli de Leon has good news for those who have been awaiting the return of Sonny Jaworski to the Philippines.

After a four-month stay in the United States where Reli said Sonny owns two houses, the Big J is coming home on Nov. 4.

“Sonny is now in the call center business, which is the reason for his protracted stay in the US. When he returns to Manila, he will look at the offers that came his way while he was gone,” said Reli, who bumped into Sonny in Las Vegas during the Pacquiao-Barrera fight.

“Sonny was driving a brand new black Hummer. He’s still very popular wherever he goes, basta may mga Filipino.”

BAP-SBP vice chair Ricky Vargas, team sponsor Jean Henri Lhuillier, and close relatives were at the penthouse of the Discovery Suites last Sunday night to welcome the RP ladies cage squad, the Seaba silver medalist, from Phuket, Thailand.

Discovery Suites owner Cynthia Tiu, who has been supporting the team, had planned a surprise party for the ladies that night. From the airport, they boarded a Victory Liner tourist bus provided by staunch supporter Marivic del Pilar, and went to the party place at the Ortigas Center.

Even if they failed to bring home the gold, Ricky V., who represented SBP president Manny V. Pangilinan, lauded the girls for performing way beyond expectations, and gifted each member of the 25-man delegation with a brand new cellphone and a P5,000 load. I learned that PLDT had also given the team some spending money for the week-long event.

For his part, Cebuana’s Jean Henri announced that he would be giving the team the P600,000 bonus incentive for a gold medal, instead of the P400,000 for a silver medal.

amdgc82
04-07-2008, 08:40 AM
Big J ready to take over Air21? (http://www.mb.com.ph/SPRT20080407121251.html)
By WAYLON GALVEZ
www.mb.com.ph

If the recent change in Air21’s coaching staff is an indication, the much-awaited return of Robert Jaworski will happen in this season-ending conference of the PBA.

Talks of a comeback by Jaworski, local basketball’s living legend, have been the topic since the league opened its import-flavored Fiesta Cup after the Express made some personnel moves.

The Air21 management hired as assistant coach Leo Isaac, Jaworski’s former player with Ginebra and currently the mentor of the Mapua Cardinals in the NCAA and Noosa Shoes in the PBL.

The team’s top honcho led by owner Bert Lina and team governor Lito Alvarez also terminated the services of three coaching staff members – Ching Ching Marcelino, Johnny Tam and Ricky Dandan.

The Express retained head coach Bo Perasol. Sources said that the set up is a sign that Jaworski will return to the PBA to coach Ai21, which currently sport a 1-1 win-loss card.

In the event Jaworski comes in as his replacement, Perasol said that he’s willing to hand the mantle to the revered mentor.

"Hopefully ganun nga ang mangyari," Perasol said yesterday. "Pero as of now, ang alam ko hindi pa din nakakapag-usap si coach and management. Wala naman din nababanggit ang management."

Last July, Air21 actually made a formal offer to the former senator to coach the Express at the start of the 2007-08 season that began with the all-Filipino Philippine Cup.

But Jaworski, who recently turned 62 years, left for the USA and reportedly is set to return home this month and come back to a league where he’s considered the most popular personality.

"He’s always welcome naman sa team. Magiging malaking tulong si coach para sa team. Walang problema kung maging part ako ng coaching staff or whatever the management deems na magiging effective ako," Perasol said.

Prior to his appointment as coach two seasons ago, the 36-year-old Perasol was the company’s Operations Chief in Southern Luzon Region.

The Bulletin tried to contact Alvarez, but he’s not available for comment.

When Jaworski and Air21 started negotiating, Alvarez refused to disclose the terms and conditions of their offer.

PBA coaches earn a maximum salary of R350, 000.

However, sources said that since Air21 is pursuing Jaworski, an icon who will certainly bring glamour to a team, it is possible that the Lina-owned franchise will add several perks in the proposal.

Jaworski, also known as the Big J, is a pioneer of the PBA who wore the No. 7 jersey of Toyota when the PBA opened shop in 1975. He was named the MVP in 1978 and was selected to the 25 Greatest PBA Players.

When Toyota disbanded after the 1983 season, Jaworski joined the La Tondeña, Inc. which owns Gilbey’s Gin, which later carried the brand name Ginebra.

Three years later, Jaworski took over as playing coach of Ginebra and his first coaching title came that same year when his team won the Open Conference against Manila Beer.

Jaworski won a total of 13 championships, nine with Toyota as a player and four with Ginebra as playing coach.

His last championship was the 1997 Governors’ Cup opposite Alaska in six games.