PDA

View Full Version : Noli Eala Disbarred, Steps Down as PBA Commish

Ghostrider
08-01-2007, 05:33 PM
http://www.gmanews.tv/story/53807/SC-disbars-PBAs-Eala-for-having-illicit-sex-relations

Ang bigat nito.

gameface_one
08-01-2007, 08:14 PM
(UPDATE) Supreme Court disbars PBA commissioner Eala
abs-cbnnews.com

The Supreme Court has disbarred lawyer and Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) commissioner Emmanuel “Noli” Eala because of his “grossly immoral conduct” that stemmed from an extramarital affair, ABS-CBN News learned Wednesday.

In a nine-page per curiam decision, the Supreme Court said Eala violated Canons 1 and 7 of Rule 1.01 of the Code of Professional Responsibility of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines in carrying on an extra-marital affair with a married woman prior to the judicial declaration that her marriage was null and void.

By doing so, the Supreme Court said, Eala “showed disrespect for an institution held sacred by the law” and “betrayed his unfitness to be a lawyer.”

The high court's ruling followed Joselano Guevarra's complaint for disbarment before the IBP-Committee on Bar Discipline (IBP-CBD) against Eala. The complaint was filed on the ground of gross immorality, alleging that Eala carried on an adulterous relationship with Guevarra's then-wife, Irene Moje.

Guevarra used a love letter addressed to Moje that he found dated on the day of his wedding.

The letter said: “BE MINE….AND MINE ALONE, and I WILL BE YOURS AND YOURS ALONE! I LOVE YOU FOREVER, I LOVE YOU FOR ALWAYS. AS LONG AS I’M LIVING MY TWEETIE YOU’LL BE!”

The letter sender turned out to be Eala.

Following their separation, Guevarra said he soon saw the respective cars of his wife and Eala's parked at the house that Moje had bought.

The complainant also learned that on Feb. 14, 2002, Moje gave birth to a baby girl. She identified Eala as the baby's father in preparing the birth certificate.

Low profile affair
Eala admitted having a relationship with Moje. The PBA chief, however, said that he kept it “low profile and known only to members of their respective families.”

He added that his “purely personal and low profile special relationship with Irene (Moje) is neither under scandalous circumstances nor tantamount to grossly immoral conduct as would be ground for disbarment.”

He also admitted having personal knowledge of the birth certificate of Moje’s daughter.

The Supreme Court, however, adopted the findings of the IBP-CBD Investigating Commissioner. It said that Eala’s statements taken with the Certificate of Live Birth of Moje’s daughter “sufficiently prove that there was indeed an illicit relationship between respondent and Moje which resulted in the birth of the child.”

The high court said Eala did not deny carrying an adulterous relationship with Moje. What he denied was having flaunted such a relationship, it added.

“Without doubt, the adulterous relationship between respondent and Irene has been sufficiently proven by more than clearly preponderant evidence,” the high court's ruling said.

It added that it was immaterial whether Eala carried out his affair discreetly as the case involved “a relationship between a married lawyer and a married woman who is not his wife.”

“While it has been held in disbarment cases that the mere fact of sexual relations between two unmarried adults is not sufficient to warrant administrative action for such illicit behavior, it is not so with respect to betrayals of the marital vow of fidelity,” the high court added.

Eala has yet to issue a statement following the release of the high court's decision.

The PBA chief is currently in Tokushima, Japan for the Philippine campaign in the 24th FIBA-Asian Men's Basketball Championship.

Howard the Duck
08-01-2007, 08:51 PM
RIP "Atty." in Noli Eala 8)

Dark Knight
08-01-2007, 09:37 PM
I see him getting the axe in the PBA.* :-X

BigBlue
08-01-2007, 09:45 PM
I see him getting the axe in the PBA. :-X

why? what for?

Dark Knight
08-01-2007, 11:33 PM

why? what for?

As long as he can continue doing his job, he's fine with me. This is his personal problem and as long it doesnt affect his performance, then, move on.

Im just worried about the "moralists" in the PBA who might take advantage of the situation. Pinoy pa. ;D

gameface_one
08-02-2007, 09:48 AM
High court disbars PBA’s Eala for affair with married woman

By Leila Salaverria
Inquirer
Last updated 00:14am (Mla time) 08/02/2007

MANILA, Philippines -- Philippine Basketball Association Commissioner Jose Emmanuel "Noli" Eala has lost his right to practice law for carrying on an extramarital affair with a married woman, documented through a love letter sent on her wedding day.

The Supreme Court en banc, acting on a complaint filed by the woman's husband, disbarred Eala for grossly immoral conduct and violation of his oath of office and the Code of Professional Responsibility.

"In carrying on an extramarital affair with (the woman) prior to the judicial declaration that her marriage with complainant was null and void, and despite respondent himself being married, he showed disrespect for an institution held sacred by the law. And he betrayed his unfitness to be a lawyer," the high tribunal said in an August 1 decision which takes effect immediately.

The affair also led to the woman bearing a daughter by Eala.

The disbarment complaint was first lodged with the Integrated Bar of the Philippines. The investigating commissioner recommended Eala's disbarment, but the recommendation was annulled by the IBP Board of Governors.

The complainant then elevated the case to the Supreme Court.

According to the high court, Eala did not deny that he and the woman had an adulterous affair, since what he denied was having flaunted such a relationship.

It also said Eala did not deny that he fathered the woman's daughter, and that a records custodian of St. Luke's Medical Center said the woman provided the information in the Certificate of Live Birth that Eala was the child's father.

It said there was enough evidence to support the administrative case against Eala. It junked Eala's contention that his relationship with the woman was not under scandalous circumstances, saying the Revised Rules of Court provide that one ground for disbarment is "grossly immoral conduct," not "under scandalous circumstances."

It also said it was immaterial whether the affair was carried out discreetly or not, as what was involved as an illicit relationship between a married lawyer and a married woman not his wife.

The high court said Eala violated his lawyer's oath to obey the law and also the Code of Professional Responsibility that prohibits a lawyer from engaging in unlawful or immoral conduct, and any action adversely reflecting on his fitness to practice law.

According to the complainant, the woman, then his fiancée, introduced Eala to him in January 2000 as her friend married to Marianne Tantoco.

The complainant and the woman got married on October 7, 2000. But a few months later, he noticed that Eala began calling his wife and sending messages saying "I love you," "I miss you" or "Meet you at Megamall."

In February or March 2001, he saw Eala and his wife on two occasions and confronted them, prompting the woman to leave the conjugal house.

Later, the complainant said he found a card in the master bedroom with the sentence "I Love You" in front and a handwritten letter inside dated October 7, 2000, the day of their wedding. The letter was signed by "Noli" and referred to the woman as "My Tweetie."

The high court noted that Eala admitted sending it.

The letter read in part: "I hope that you have experienced true happiness with me. I have done everything humanly possible to love you. And today, as you make your vows... I make my own vow to you!"

Eala also vowed to love the woman "until we are together again."

The complainant also said he saw Eala's and his wife's car parked outside a Quezon City house in which his wife lived, and that the two flaunted their affair by attending social functions together.

He also said Eala neglected his own family and flaunted his aversion to the institution of marriage by calling it a "piece of paper."

Eala, for his part, had denied that he flaunted an adulterous relationship and said that their relationship was in fact low-profile and known only to the immediate members of their families.

He also called his relationship with the woman a "special friendship" and said the relationship was not under scandalous circumstances. His reference to marriage as a "piece of paper" was with respect to the formality of the marriage contract, he added

gameface_one
08-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Commissioner’s disbarment shakes PBA, surprises execs

By Musong R. Castillo
Inquirer
Last updated 04:17am (Mla time) 08/03/2007

MANILA, Philippines -- Two members of the Philippine Basketball Association board Thursday said that morality is an issue as far as being commissioner of the PBA is concerned.

They were reacting to reports published Thursday about commissioner Noli Eala’s disbarment by the Supreme Court, which declared the former broadcaster guilty of adultery.

“Morality is an issue here because as commissioner, he [Eala] is effectively the face of all 10 PBA teams,” said the first board member, who requested that he not be identified.

“The leader of the PBA should have high integrity.”

He said that he shared the opinion of other board members that they need to talk with Eala first in a special meeting once the Philippine team gets back from Tokushima, Japan.

“We knew right before we took him [Eala] in [as commissioner] that he has an adultery case pending,” said the other board member, who also spoke on condition of anonymity.

“But being disbarred is another thing. We would have to look at the entire image of the PBA regarding this matter. Morality is certainly an issue here.”

The second board member also said that he is certain PBA chair and Talk ‘N Text board representative Ricky Vargas, who is reportedly in Hong Kong on a business trip with PLDT boss Manny Pangilinan, will call a meeting when he returns.

“We got the assurance from him [Eala, when he was being interviewed for the commissioner ship four years ago] that that case had already been settled,” the second board member added.

“That’s why we were surprised to read all about this.”

The Philippine Daily Inquirer tried to get comments from Eala, who is with the national team in Japan, through PBA media bureau chief Willie Marcial to no avail.

Extramarital affair

Eala lost his right to practice law when the Supreme Court en banc, in a decision announced Wednesday, found him guilty of having an extra-marital affair with a married woman.

Acting on the complaint filed by the woman’s husband, the Supreme Court said Eala was guilty of gross immoral conduct and violated his oath of office and the Code of Professional Responsibility.

Eala replaced the late Emilio “Jun” Bernardino at the end of the 2002 season, beating other candidates for the commissioner’s job like Chito Narvasa, Rey Gamboa and former executive director Renauld “Sonny” Barrios.

His position has been occupied by such luminaries as founding commissioner Leopoldo “Leo” Prieto, Rey Marquez, the late Col. Mariano Yenko, Bernardino and the eminent lawyer-sportsman Rudy Salud.

The high tribunal junked Eala’s contention that his relationship with the woman was not under scandalous circumstances, saying the Revised Rules of Court provide that one ground for disbarment is “grossly immoral conduct,” not “under scandalous circumstances.”

Wang-Bu
08-03-2007, 09:14 AM

why? what for?

As long as he can continue doing his job, he's fine with me. This is his personal problem and as long it doesnt affect his performance, then, move on.

Im just worried about the "moralists" in the PBA who might take advantage of the situation. Pinoy pa.* ;D

Sang-ayon akong matanggal na nga siya dahil dito. Hindi ordinaryong kompanya ang PBA kung saan wala namang pakialam ang tao sa mga pangyayari dito. Ngunit ito na nga tayo at nalathala sa mga pahayagan ang kaso ni Commish Noli. Masyadong high profile ang kasong ito. Publicly nalalathala ang ginagawang pagparusa ng PBA sa mga player nila kapag may ginawang "inimical to the interest of the league" o kaya'y "contrary to the tenets of sportsmanship", mga kasong may kinalaman sa inuugali ng player, lalo pa't public figures sila.

Ang punto ngayon: Papano magkakaroon ng sinasabing moral ascendancy ang PBA na humatol at magparusa ng mga tao nila kung ang mismong pinuno ay na-disbar dahil sa pakikipag-daupang kama sa babaeng mayroon pa palang sinasabi ng mga abogado na "subsisting valid marriage" nung sila ay kasalukuyang nagtatampisaw sa huwad na paraiso ng bawal na pagibig?

irateluvmachine
08-03-2007, 12:24 PM
"TWEETIE"...as in tweetie/tweety bird...i tot i taw a putty tat! :D

ayus si kume, kahit na nangangaliwa, charmingly old-school yung tawag niya sa kerida niya...

seriously, though...while i'm leaving it up to the PBA to decide on eala's fate...sayang naman kung matanggalan siya ng pwesto. i believe he's done a good job so far with his zero-tolerance policies, particularly on drugs...and what he's done to restore the PBA's popularity...though still not at it's mid-'90s level...

BigBlue
08-03-2007, 12:34 PM
Ang pag-ibig nga naman, kapag nasok sa puso ninuman hahamakin ang lahat, masunod ka lamang.

gameface_one
08-06-2007, 10:17 AM
Eala case to be brought to full PBA board

By Musong R. Castillo
Inquirer
Last updated 01:28am (Mla time) 08/06/2007

PHILIPPINE Basketball Association commissioner Noli Eala will have his day in another court--and this one he obviously hopes to win.

The Board’s ethics committee, in a lengthy meeting, decided to elevate the case of the embattled commissioner to the full board after deciding that “this is a major issue.”

Eala, who was appointed commissioner of Asia’s first pay-for-play league at the end of the 2002 season, has been stripped of his license to practice law by the Supreme Court on Wednesday because of an adulterous relationship with a married woman.

Rene Pardo, the Purefoods representative to the Board who also chairs the ethics committee, told scribes over the phone that the matter will now be for the whole board to decide on.

“So we can sit down and address the issue,” Pardo explained. “We will invite Noli so he can have his day in court. He will be given due process, of course.”

There were only six board members present last night – Pardo, lawyer Mamerto Mondragon of Welcoat, incoming chairman Tony Chua of Red Bull, Joaqui Trillo of Alaska, Ely Capacio and chairman Ricky Vargas of Talk ‘N Text.

One board member who was present said that there were some who called for the ouster of Eala and some who saw otherwise. This was not confirmed by Pardo, though.

“Because this is a major issue,” said the board member who asked that he not be identified. “Remember that he (Eala), in essence, is the face of all the 10 member teams of the league.”

Eala, who is with the Philippine Team in Tokushima, Japan, has refused to comment.

“Our chairman [Vargas] will call a special meeting for this issue alone,” Pardo continued. “We will discuss nothing but this matter.”

Eala was disbarred by the Supreme Court for “carrying an extra-marital affair with a married woman” which was documented through a love letter Eala sent to the woman on her wedding day.”

The Supreme Court en banc disbarred Eala for grossly immoral conduct and violation of his oath of office and the Code of Professional Responsibility, acting on the complaint filed by the woman’s husband.

“In carrying on an extramarital affair with (the woman) prior to the judicial declaration that her marriage with complainant was null and void, and despite respondent himself being married, he showed disrespect for an institution held sacred by the law. And he betrayed his unfitness to be a lawyer,” the high tribunal said in Wednesday’s decision.

Eala was named as replacement to the late Emilio “Jun” Bernardino at the end of the 2002 season to occupy the post the likes of founding commissioner Leopoldo “Leo” Prieto, Bernardino and the imminent Rudy Salud, also a lawyer, held.

The high tribunal junked Eala’s contention that his relationship with the woman was not under scandalous circumstances, saying the Revised Rules of Court provide that one ground for disbarment is “grossly immoral conduct,” not “under scandalous circumstances.”

pio_valenz
08-07-2007, 04:37 PM
He's already resigned.

JonarSabilano
08-07-2007, 04:47 PM
He's already resigned.

Has the Board named a replacement yet?

Sam Miguel
08-07-2007, 05:01 PM
He's already resigned.

Has the Board named a replacement yet?

Whoever it will eventually be I am certain it will be yet another dyed-in-the wool SMC kind of guy.

Or perhaps... how about that young-ish Panlilio fellow who works for Manny Pangilinan...?

pio_valenz
08-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Sabi ng aking bubwit sa PBA, OIC daw muna ang pipiliin nila to oversee the rookie camp and upcoming draft kasi this month na yung dalawang activities na yun. Baka daw si Rickie Santos ang OIC. Tapos once those two activities are done, that's the time they'll sit down and choose a new commish.

Sam Miguel
08-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Pio, given the kind of "posse" / "retinue" culture of Pinoys, what does your bubwit say about any of the Noli Eala acolytes presently on the PBA payroll, will they be disappearing soon as well?

pio_valenz
08-07-2007, 08:56 PM
^Wala pang balita, pareng Sam, although I assume you're referring to Perry Martinez. IMHO, he will most likely be replaced as well. Pero opinyon ko lang yun.

Jeep
08-08-2007, 10:10 AM
you work with people, you think you know them. not that i worked with the man, but his was a regular face during parent-teacher conferences, recollections, and other programs at my daughter's school. he would sometimes strike me as a pompous @$$, but the cesspool he now finds himself in is something you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy. with this unfortunate episode, i have a sick, queasy feeling it will be quite a spell before we see him there anytime soon.

sad. truly. especially for the kids. :'(

gameface_one
08-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Eala steps down as PBA commish

By NELSON BELTRAN
The Philippine Star

Noli Eala, who rose from the ranks of broadcasting to become the top honcho of the country’s biggest sports entertainment industry, on Tuesday resigned as commissioner of the Philippine Basketball Association in the aftermath of his disbarment by the Supreme Court.

“To ease the pain of the people who matter most to me, my family especially my children and to shield the league I truly care for with so much passion from any erroneous perceptions related to my disbarment case, I’m tendering my immediate resignation,” said Eala in a statement read before the media at the PBA office.

He was disbarred by the high court for “grossly immoral conduct.”

“It is a painful decision brought about by a painful personal circumstance but I have always believed that the PBA is bigger than any one man, one team, one player or one team owner,” Eala added.

Eala, 44, ended his statement by appealing that he be allowed to deal with his personal ordeal privately, then left his seat, returning back to his room followed by some staff members who were in tears.

He met with the PBA personnel a few hours earlier, bidding his farewell to them.

A former TV anchorman who succeeded the late Emilio “Jun” Bernardino as PBA take-charge guy at the end of the 2002 season, Eala said he’s leaving the PBA “cognizant and gratified that I have turned things around with the help of the PBA board, my hardworking staff and the greatest players any commissioner can ever have.”

He added: “The PBA has scaled new heights and reached new goals – financially stable, organizationally sound and still the biggest sports entertainment property of the Philippines.”

He quit his post in the PBA although he vowed to continue to pursue and exhaust all legal remedies in his disbarment case.

The Supreme Court, in a nine-page decision on Aug. 1, disbarred Eala due to a “grossly immoral conduct” that stemmed from an extramarital affair.

The PBA board held a special board meeting earlier in the day at EDSA Shangri-La Plaza and voted, 6-3, to ask Eala to resign.

Red Bull, Sta. Lucia, Alaska Milk, Talk n Text, Coca-Cola and Air21 counted for the majority vote.

It was Eala’s first day in office following his return from Tokushima, Japan where he served as the RP delegation head in the recent 2007 FIBA-Asia championship.

Eala had had big involvement in the RP team, playing a key role in the formation of the BAP-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas, of which he became a trustee.

Before the end of the 2003 season, Eala proposed to the PBA board a new two-conference format which is now being enforced. The board also approved Eala’s plan to move the league calendar from February to December to October to July, which took effect in 2004.

Eala served as PBA commissioner for four seasons. He was the league’s sixth commissioner after Leo Prieto, Mariano Yenko, Rudy Salud, Ray Marquez and Bernardino.

gameface_one
08-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Vargas commends Noli; search on for OIC

The Philippine Star

PBA chairman Ricky Vargas said the league would definitely move forward, working for a contingency plan and the immediate search for an officer-in-charge following the resignation of Noli Eala.

Vargas made the statement even as he “commended Noli for thinking about the league above self and for all his sacrifices.”

“I ask everybody to give him space to do whatever he needs to do and to sort matters out in his private and personal life, and in due time he is welcome to once again be a candidate for the position,” Vargas said.

The PBA executive board will convene tomorrow to work on a list of OIC candidates to be presented to the entire board Monday.

Among the possible OIC candidates, according to sources, are Freddie Webb and Chito Narvasa.

Being considered to work as full-time commissioner is basketball living legend Robert Jaworski.

“Of course, you can’t offer OIC job for the former senator,” said The STAR source.

The PBA is making an immediate search for an OIC since the league is tentatively opening its 33rd season on Sept. 23. Nelson Beltran

gameface_one
08-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Scramble for prized sports post begins

By REY LACHICA
mb.com.ph

WITH THE resignation of PBA Commissioner Noli Eala, speculations swirled as to who is going to take his place.

It’s mind-boggling.

A lot of personalities have popped out.

Big names in the basketball community, including past great players, former and present league officials and coaches, a commissioner in the amateur league and businessman are being floated.

But not one among them is sure to get the plum position – considered by many as a hot seat.

When the board voted 6-3 to oust Eala, text messages came almost incessantly.

But naming Eala’s replacement will surely take time since the candidates must go through a long process and must present a concrete program for the league.

The Board initially picked Purefoods’ representative Rene Pardo to be the officer-in-charge but the amiable official declined the offer.

"Since getting the replacement of Commissioner Eala would take time, he (Pardo) was offered to handle the daily affairs of the league but he refused," said a PBA insider. "We’re at the dark as to who will be the OIC."

A member of the Board, who requested not to be identified, said they will announce the OIC within two days, saying: "We hope we could have an OIC by Thursday, the Rookie Draft is just around the corner."

The draft is slated on Aug. 19.

But pressed to comment on who will be the likely replacement, the source said: "We have yet to discuss that matter but we have to have a commissioner the soonest possible. It’s a tough task but we have to screen the candidates thoroughly.

Among the personalities being eyed are former greats Robert Jaworski, Ramon Fernandez and Freddie Webb, coaches Chito Narvasa and Chot Reyes, former PBA Deputy Commissioner Tommy Manotoc, former San Miguel representative Ed Manlapit, PBL Commissioner Chino Trinidad, PBA Basketball Operations chief Rickie Santos and basketball amateur project director Mikee Romero of Harbour Centre.

Fernandez, who retired in 1994 and winner of four MVP titles, was suprised when informed that he was in the list of probable candidates.

"I will think seriously about it if there is an offer. But so far I have no idea if indeed I’m included in the list," said Fernandez.

For his part, Trinidad said: "If they (members of the Board) consider me as one of the candidates, then it’s an honor. I started my career in the PBA (as a TV sportscaster), and if not for my stint there I would not become the PBL commissioner."

Narvasa was one of the candidates interviewed by the Board in 2002 but Eala beat him for the post. Others considered that time were former PBA Chairman Rey Gamboa and Sonny Barrios.

Wang-Bu
08-08-2007, 11:09 AM
May nakakaalam po ba kung ano ang job description ng isang PBA Commissioner bukod sa magbihis ng maganda, manood ng laro at kumita ng limpak na limpak tuwing kinsenas at katapusan?

Wang-Bu
08-08-2007, 11:12 AM
Ang pagkakakilala ko kay ex-Atty Noli Eala ay bilang isang komentarista. Ni hindi ko maalala na siya ay nag-coach o assistant coach sa PBA. Papano niya nakuha ang pagka-Commissioner ng PBA lalao pa't ang naalala kong naging karibal niya sa pwesto ay si Coach Chito Narvasa?

canmaker
08-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Di ba puede si Coach Jaworskee, jaworskee, jaworskee !!!

=====

May nakakaalam po ba kung ano ang job description ng isang PBA Commissioner bukod sa magbihis ng maganda, manood ng laro at kumita ng limpak na limpak tuwing kinsenas at katapusan?

Wang-Bu
08-08-2007, 11:22 AM
CALL ako diyan Sir Canmaker...! ;D

yungha
08-08-2007, 11:41 AM
you work with people, you think you know them. not that i worked with the man, but his was a regular face during parent-teacher conferences, recollections, and other programs at my daughter's school. he would sometimes strike me as a pompous @$$, but the cesspool he now finds himself in is something you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy. with this unfortunate episode, i have a sick, queasy feeling it will be quite a spell before we see him there anytime soon.

sad. truly. especially for the kids.* :'(

jeep, i speak as a friend of the complainants so i'm biased, but in my opinion he deserves every bit of the humiliation he's getting now. he deserves no sympathy. what he did was sneaky, sleazy and underhanded and he thought his being a hotshot lawyer would allow him to get away with it. turns out there is hope for the philippine justice system after all. dapat nga ikulong yan eh.

BigBlue
08-08-2007, 12:20 PM
ano ba talaga? nag-resign ba or tinanggal si Eala?

Kid Cubao
08-08-2007, 12:26 PM
he resigned from his post. question there is whether he was asked to resign or he voluntarily resigned out of delicadeza.

BigBlue
08-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Scramble for prized sports post begins

By REY LACHICA
mb.com.ph

WITH THE resignation of PBA Commissioner Noli Eala, speculations swirled as to who is going to take his place.

When the board voted 6-3 to oust Eala, text messages came almost incessantly.

Dito ako nalito.

Dark Knight
08-08-2007, 01:42 PM
Its time to put in a former basketball player as a commissioner. This way, he can understand more the needs and problems of the league. Its like DOH should be headed by a doctor, because he knows more the ins and out of the business.

Im batting either Fernandez or Jaworski as commissioner. Fernandez already had experience when he headed the MBA a few years back.

Kid Cubao
08-08-2007, 02:40 PM
OK sana si mon fernandez, except for a few things:

1. noli eala was driven out of his position as PBA commissioner because of his disbarment by the supreme court, which stemmed from his "scandalous" relationship with a married woman that led to the dissolution of their earlier marriages to separate partners. kung ang ipapalit po natin ay si don ramon, then it would be ironic for noli eala to be succeeded by someone who himself was in the national spotlight not long ago for his litany of marital indiscretions ;D

2. don ramon's tenure as the founding MBA commissioner was itself rocky and tenuous. some quarters blame him for not lifting a finger when certain team owners got too greedy. you see, they say he was party to the corruption of the MBA's original objective of a truly grassroots professional league when they started competing with the PBA by dangling and paying multimillion-peso contracts to PBA stars, which ultimately strangled and bankrupted the league.

pudportot lang po ito...

Jeep
08-08-2007, 03:45 PM

sad. truly. especially for the kids.* :'(

jeep, i speak as a friend of the complainants so i'm biased, but in my opinion he deserves every bit of the humiliation he's getting now. he deserves no sympathy. what he did was sneaky, sleazy and underhanded and he thought his being a hotshot lawyer would allow him to get away with it. turns out there is hope for the philippine justice system after all. dapat nga ikulong yan eh.

yungha, being on the aggrieved end i'm sure the complainants are justified that eala got his just desserts, so to speak. having been proven beyond reasonable doubt that he is in fact the sleazoid people in the know say he is, he just found what he was looking for (sa tagalog: nakita rin niya ang hinahanap niya!).

i guess what i'm saying is i just wouldn't want to be in his shoes -- although if i actually did what he did then there would surely be hell to pay and i would rightly be reaping the same whirlwind he's reaping right now. but definitely, i feel for the children who are caught in the middle of this and haven't the slightest idea what they could have done to deserve all this. for sure, it's something he should have thought about before he plunged into all of this. that he may have (and chose to ignore it) or may not have at all speaks a lot about the man's character -- or the lack of it.

on the bright side, i agree with you about justice in this country: truly, the future looks good!

jkad
08-09-2007, 07:16 AM
This is just me but in a society replete with GRO's, VIP Rooms, "Happy", "Pegasus", "Air Force One", "Genie", sauna parlors, "sensation", "dukot", Anito, Victoria, short time, politicians, celebrities etc with multiple partners and multiple "panganays", separation and "living in" in all walks of life, a thriving sex scandal video industry...this whole "grossly immoral" episode is just a bit hypocritical.

oca
08-09-2007, 09:35 AM
This is just me but in a society replete with GRO's, VIP Rooms, "Happy", "Pegasus", "Air Force One", "Genie", sauna parlors, "sensation", "dukot", Anito, Victoria, short time, politicians, celebrities etc with multiple partners and multiple "panganays", separation and "living in" in all walks of life, a thriving sex scandal video industry...this whole "grossly immoral" episode is just a bit hypocritical.

Nataon na yung naargabyado ay nag file ng kaso. Yun ang pinagkaiba rito. At sa panig ng SC they have to hear the case. Their own rules compels them to do so and render a judgement.

Sa akin it seems hypocrital only if viewed from the larger perspective of society. Pero, do away with the technical and legal jargon, ito ay kaso sa pagitan lamang ng dalawang naturingang hombre.

Alam niyo, kung di magastos ang maghabla, at kung di super bagal ang usad ng kaso rito sa atin, tiyak maraming kasong isasampa patungkol sa mga "indiscretions". But people at large just don't have the resources - time and money- to go through all that. Kaya madalang tayo makarinig ng ganitong kaso, w/c makes it seemingly hypocrital.

Siempre, nandyan din yung katwiran na "...bahala na ang Diyos sa kanila."

But in this case, hindi issue ang resources at ayaw lumapit ng naghabla kay Lord. At yan, mga katoto natin dito sa gameface, ay 'di hypocrital.

gameface_one
08-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Board to sift through short list

By NELSON BELTRAN

The Philippine Star

The Philippine Basketball Association executive board meets Thursday at the PLDT office in Makati to make a short list of candidates for officer-in-charge who will run the league following the ouster of former commissioner Noli Eala.

Outgoing chairman Ricky Vargas, incoming chair Tony Chua, incoming vice chair Joaqui Trillo and treasurer Lito Alvarez will go through the names being nominated as they make the short list to be presented to the entire board for deliberation Monday.

Eala resigned Tuesday in the aftermath of his disbarment by the Supreme Court.

A number of cage personalities have been mentioned in the media as possible officer-in-charge candidates although only the names of former Sen. Freddie Webb, Chito Narvasa and Elmer Yanga were brought up during the special board meeting Tuesday.

"It’s okay with us if they float names. They’re welcome. We’ll take a look at them and make a short list today (Thursday)," said Alvarez, adding he will make his own nomination in UAAP commissioner Ed Cordero.

PBA operations manager Rickie Santos and Chot Reyes are to be nominated by another board member. There were also reports that PBL commissioner Chino Trinidad and sportsman Tommy Manotoc would be considered in the list.

Chua said he would push for an officer-in-charge who already knows the ins and outs of the league’s day-to-day operation with the its 32nd season set to unfold next month.

"On an interim basis, we have to get a guy who’s already familiar with the league and how it operates. Para hindi kakapa-kapa," said Chua.

The Red Bull board representative, who is to succeed Vargas as chairman, also plans to oversee the daily operation of the league until an OIC has been appointed.

Meanwhile, Alvarez said he would encourage the board to tap a corporate person to succeed Eala permanently.

"The board will surely make a criteria in the selection of the new commissioner. I will suggest that we name a professional who has management and marketing skills," said Alvarez.

One big name being mentioned for the position is basketball living legend Robert Jaworski who is reportedly in the United States.

"If he’s chosen and he accepted the position, it’s good for the league. And if it’s good for the league, it’s also good for Air21," said Alvarez.

Chua said the OIC would be given one conference to run the league and if he performs well, he may well be considered for the job permanently.

gameface_one
08-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Tough act to follow

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPORTING CHANCE By JOAQUIN M. HENSON
Philstar.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With his resignation as PBA commissioner, Noli Eala leaves behind a track record of achievements that his successor – whoever he is – will, no doubt, find difficult to equal, much less surpass.

With his resignation as PBA commissioner, Noli Eala leaves behind a track record of achievements that his successor – whoever he is – will, no doubt, find difficult to equal, much less surpass.

But the consolation for the man next in line is Eala has paved the way for the PBA to continue an upward trend for years to come. That, more than anything else, is Eala’s legacy. He hands over the mantle of leadership with no baggage, no skeletons in the closet and a clean bill of health.

For over four years, Eala was at the PBA’s helm, leading it out of the doldrums to a renaissance that brought the league back to the glory era when live attendance and TV ratings were on a high.

It wasn’t easy for Eala to mastermind the turn-around. He hurdled tremendous obstacles and defied enormous odds to pilot the PBA out of the woods. Eala presided in the PBA’s rebirth and with the backing of the Board of Governors, painstakingly positioned the league for long-term growth.

Eala couldn’t have done it alone. And he’ll be the first to tell anyone he owes it to the Board, the team owners, the staff, the players, the coaches, the media and all those who are the league’s lifeblood for the positive things that happened in his watch.

Eala followed in the footsteps of his illustrious predecessors – Leo Prieto, Mariano Yenko, Jr., Rudy Salud, Rey Marquez and Jun Bernardino – and achieved more than what was expected of him in such a short period.

Eala’s list of accomplishments reads like a litany of milestones – the institutionalization of the North-South All-Star Week, the rationalization of the two-conference format, the tweaking of the rules to make the game more exciting, the resolution of the Fil-Sham issue, the end to drug-related problems, his leadership role in FIBA lifting the country’s suspension, the crusade to rebuild respect for the Philippines in the global basketball community, the transformation of Draft-Day into a major media event, the expansion of the league, the establishment of a PBA Hall of Fame and the Leo Awards, the outreach program to bring the PBA closer to fans beyond Metro Manila and abroad, the conceptualization of a permanent trophy, the staging of invitational tournaments featuring foreign teams, the PBA’s relocation to Libis and the streamlining of head office functions for more efficiency, the settlement of the TV contract, the financial stabilization of the league, the restoration of public confidence, the innovation of the wildcard phase (to radically reduce the incidence of no-bearing games) and automatic semis berths (to reward consistently quality performance), the propagation of the PBA as a major source of news in media (including the internet), and the introduction of marketing tools (like the Give Me 5 Promo and the Hula Hoops gaming) to improve turnstile sales and TV ratings.

There isn’t anyone who can say Eala didn’t do a good job in his term. He brought passion back into the PBA and it triggered a widespread fever that led to a resurgence of mass interest in the league.

The Supreme Court’s recent ruling to disbar Eala for personal, not professional, reasons was a bitter pill to swallow. His decision to resign was unprecedented. Usually, Filipinos in high-profile jobs, such as Eala’s, hold on to their positions until they’re forced to vacate and bodily hauled out of office. But Eala, in a class act, opted to cut and cut clean, as they say. He never wanted to be a burden to the league and cause it unnecessary embarrassment.

During his administration, Eala set a lofty standard of professionalism, passion and integrity in managing the league’s affairs. He will long be remembered as the Commissioner who sacrificed everything, including himself, for the good of the league.

As for the PBA, it will go on, steered in the right direction by a Commissioner who has left a legacy of a lifetime. Eala’s imprint will cast a giant shadow on the league as it welcomes the challenges of the future with confidence, clarity of purpose and a commitment to the public to be better than ever before

gameface_one
08-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Wanted: PBA commissioner with skills, objectivity, integrity

Basketball background not enough--Alaska owner

By Musong R. Castillo
Inquirer
Last updated 03:44pm (Mla time) 08/08/2007

MANILA, Philippines -- The Philippine Basketball Association, being a multimillion-peso sports-entertainment business, should be run by someone who is a professional in running a large business.

“A background in the game itself is not the most significant aspect for me at this point,” Alaska team owner Wilfred Steven Uytengsu told the Philippine Daily Inquirer over the phone Wednesday.

“I think it’s time that the PBA board look for a professional executive and not necessarily with a basketball background. We need a professional management team with the necessary skills sets, and with objectivity and integrity to run the league as a whole and not look after the interest of one team or group of teams alone,” he added.

“I have been very vocal about this, even though I may have been the only one saying this [in the past],” he said.

The search for a new PBA commissioner has started after Noli Eala, who served for four years as top honcho of Asia’s first professional cage league, tendered his resignation Tuesday afternoon.

Uytengsu’s opinion was shared by Air21 board representative Lito
Alvarez, who said that a good manager backed up by a good technical man would do the job for the league.

Bert Manlapit, the former San Miguel board member, was one name which Alvarez mentioned, being a long-time corporate guy with erst-while ties to several multimillion, multinational companies.

“Of course, in the end, what we [board members] want us to be able to assure the continued success of the league,” said Alvarez in a separate phone interview.

Uytengsu, the only two-time chairman of the board who has not been that active with the league’s board of late, made it a point to be in that meeting in Mandaluyong because he wanted to “personally hear out Noli.”

“It was important to hear his side of the situation and to clarify any misrepresentations that may have been printed in newspapers,” Uytengsu added.

Eala beat the board of governors to the punch by resigning after it had voted 6-3 for his removal.

Eala was disbarred on August 1 by the strength of a Supreme Court ruling which found him guilty of “immorality.”

The 44-year-old Eala was able to air his side in a crucial board meet earlier that day, and Uytengsu felt Eala’s genuine “concern for the well-being of his family and concern for the league.”

“But the issues here [Eala’s disbarment case] were: one, whether he could continue to lead the league without prejudice to the Supreme
Court ruling and two, what impact would the [SC ruling] have in the eyes of the public.”

Several names as Eala’s replacement have cropped up, including that of former deputy commissioner and grand slam champion coach Tommy Manotoc, former senators Robert Jaworski and Freddie Webb, and four-time MVP Ramon Fernandez.

Chairman Ricky Vargas of Talk ‘N Text, in a statement sent to media offices Tuesday night, said that they were in the hunt for an interim replacement at the moment, since the 33rd season’s first activity, the
Draft, is scheduled two Sundays from now.

Although Alaska was one of the teams which voted for Eala’s removal together with Red Bull, Coca-Cola, Air21, Sta. Lucia and Talk ‘N Text,
Uytengsu stated that Eala did a good job in addressing attendance and rating of the PBA.

“At the end of the day, we needed to consider that ramifications to the league and how the PBA would be affected moving forward,” he said.

Those who voted in his favor were San Miguel, Ginebra and Welcoat, which gained its expansion franchise in Eala’s tenure. Welcoat actually batted that Eala stay for at least one more conference before stepping down.

Eala was the PBA’s sixth commissioner after Leo Prieto, the late Mariano Yenko, Rudy Salud, Rey Marquez, and the late Jun Bernardino.

gameface_one
08-10-2007, 07:51 AM
No dearth of able bodies for PBA job

By JOAQUIN HENSON

The Philippine Star

The list of candidates to succeed Noli Eala as PBA commissioner is growing and from all indications, the man next in line will come from a talented pool of nominees.

An OIC will be chosen from a short list of five in Monday’s Board of Governors meeting and will serve until the new commissioner is named. PBA chairman Ricky Vargas said Thursday there is no timeframe to appoint the next commissioner as the selection process could take anywhere from one to three months. The speculation is the OIC will work for one conference.

Former Congressman, Senator, PBA player and coach Freddie Webb said while he doesn’t need the job to survive, it’s his line and he welcomes the chance to make the league stronger.

"I know I’ll do well," he said. "It’ll be a challenge for me and I like challenges. My position is without the public, the PBA is nothing so I’ll do what I can to keep public interest always on a high note."

Ex-PBA coach and investment banker Chito Narvasa, who was interviewed for the job five years ago, said he’s available if the work involves more than just running tournaments.

"It depends on what the Board of Governors wants, what the league needs and what the job entails," said Narvasa, now the NCAA commissioner. "I heard the Board is looking for a corporate man and if that’s the case, I’m interested. My stint as NCAA commissioner is my first and last. Running a tournament isn’t for me. There’s no growth area, no development. You don’t need me to run a tournament because so many good people are available to do that."

Narvasa, 50, said if the job calls for a corporate orientation and not just a basketball background, he’s ready to throw his hat into the ring.

"I think the PBA should be managed like a business, not an entertainment center," said Narvasa. "I realize the attraction is the players. The commissioner’s job will involve setting the stage to showcase the players with the objective of generating revenues to sustain the entire operation."

PBL commissioner Chino Trinidad said he won’t apply for the job but if he’s called for an interview, he’ll show up.

"I won’t campaign for it," he said. "If the PBA calls, who am I to say no? I owe what I am Friday to the PBA. In my eight years as PBL commissioner, it was never a one-man job. We’ve always worked as a team and we’ve succeeded as a team. If I’m given the opportunity to help the PBA in any capacity, I would consider it an honor."

Former PBA commissioner Rudy Salud’s son Chito was also mentioned by reliable sources as a candidate.

Salud, 45, is a lawyer and was president of the National Home Mortgage Finance Corp. and Natural Resource Development Corp. Like his father, Salud has a passion for sports and the inclination to follow in his footsteps. There could be no more astute mentor as his father.

Other candidates include Freddie Webb, Ed Cordero, Lambert Ramos, Fritz Gaston, Sonny Barrios, Chot Reyes, Ricky Palou, Virgil Villavicencio, Bert Manlapit, Elmer Yanga, Philip Cezar, Al Panlilio, Ed Picson and Ronnie Nathanielsz.

Meanwhile, PBA chairman Ricky Vargas said with less than 10 days before his term expires, he is determined to hand over the mantle of leadership to Tony Chua of Red Bull in a smooth transition.

"I’m here to see it through until the next chairman takes over," said Vargas. "I plan to be in the PBA office (Friday) and review the plans with the staff. There are three big events coming up – the draft, the preseason and the opening. We want an OIC to become the face of the PBA during this transition period. My thinking is to outsource the three events, get an expert group to help in producing and marketing in coordination with our point men, Rico (Meneses) for marketing and Rickie (Santos) for operations."

Vargas stressed that the OIC will serve on an interim capacity as the bridge to fill the vacuum created by Eala’s resignation. The OIC may also be a candidate for commissioner

gameface_one
08-10-2007, 07:54 AM
Take your pick from among these candidates

By Beth Celis
Inquirer
Last updated 06:51am (Mla time) 08/09/2007

MANILA, Philippines -- After Noli Eala resigned as Philippine Basketball Association commissioner last Tuesday, several names have cropped up as a possible replacement.

According to PBA chair Ricky Vargas, there are also plans to install an officer in charge who will fill in the vacuum until a suitable replacement is found.

Let me list down some names that were mentioned and give you a minute background, so that you may assess if the candidate is qualified or not.

The names are arranged in no specific order or sequence.

No. 1 on the list is Robert Jaworski, who needs no introduction. Perhaps the most popular basketball figure in the country, the man they call The Living Legend has once expressed his willingness to serve as league commissioner.

Philippine basketball has produced only two senators. One of them is the Big J.

The other is Freddie Webb, whose name has also been floated.

In addition to sports and politics, Freddie has also been a success in showbiz.

Because he was one of three candidates seriously considered five years ago when the late Emilio “Jun” Bernardino stepped down as commissioner, it is only natural that banker Chito Narvasa be reconsidered this time around.

Like Freddie and the Big J, Chito has ample knowledge and experience of the game, having played college basketball and coached in the PBA.

A finance specialist, Chito is currently the NCAA commissioner.

Chito’s younger brother Ogie, a lawyer, is also on the list of candidates.

Ogie once served as commissioner of the Philippine Basketball League -- then known as the Philippine Amateur Basketball League -- and the defunct Metropolitan Basketball Association.

Is it true that Purefoods governor Rene Pardo is not interested in the position? I heard that some ballclubs want to offer him the post -- if he retires from his present job.

Another former governor, Bert Manlapit, then of San Miguel -- is deemed ideal for the position. I don’t know if he has retired or is working now for another company.

PBA governors who put a big premium on youth and dynamism have listed Chino Trinidad high on their list. As everyone knows, this is Chino’s eighth year as PBL commissioner.

Tommy Manotoc has concentrated on golf since retiring from coaching, but according to son TJ, he can find time for the sport that is second closest to his heart.

Tommy presently manages a country club in Calatagan, Batangas.

There are many other names in the unofficial list, like that of Ateneo sports director Ricky Palou. Former PBA executive director Sonny Barrios, former PBA governor Elmer Yanga and Lambert Ramos, whose name you probably have not heard before -- not in the context of basketball -- although he has a passion for the sport, just like godfathers Manny V. Pangilinan and Mikee Romero.

Lambert was president of Nextel until recently when he had to resign to devote his time to the care of his wife who has been afflicted with cancer.

In the meantime, I understand that there’s a loud clamor for Ricky Vargas to act as interim commissioner until the board finds the right replacement for Noli Eala. Some board members feel that Ricky and incoming chair Tony Chua of Red Bull, would make a most dynamic tandem.

gameface_one
08-10-2007, 07:56 AM
The Eala legacy

Inquirer
Last updated 05:25am (Mla time) 08/09/2007

MANILA, Philippines -- The search for the next Philippine Basketball Association commissioner should, at least, pick up from where the last regime left off.

And more than just being able to stand on a high moral ground, the next commissioner should presumably do better than the one he replaces.

With this in mind, the Philippine Daily Inquirer sports staff looks at the achievements left behind by Noli Eala, who resigned Tuesday following a Supreme Court ruling that disbarred him for “immoral conduct.”

Under his tutelage, the PBA, among others:

• Experienced a newfound financial stability that came hand-in-hand with the restoration of public faith;

• Morphed into a solid marketing and promotional tool anchored on an increased advertising market acceptance;

• Put in place a player development and assessment program through its annual rookie camp;

• Settled long-running controversies such as the drug and Fil-Am problems;

• Established now-anticipated novelties like the Christmas Day Game, out-of-the-country matches;

•Underwent a transition in its season format to accommodate the league’s commitment to the country’s participation in international meets;

• Played a crucial role in the formation of the country’s new basketball federation, the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas, and;

• Instituted the Leo Awards to add glamour to the yearend annual PBA awards.

Sam Miguel
08-10-2007, 09:36 AM
OGIE Narvasa was formerly a PABL Commissioner, right? Or is that some other Narvasa I am thinking of?

gameface_one
08-11-2007, 07:14 AM
Webb tipped as pro league OIC

By Musong R. Castillo
Inquirer
Last updated 01:26am (Mla time) 08/11/2007

MANILA, Philippines -- Looks like Freddie Webb is returning to the Philippine Basketball Association as its officer-in-charge.

Two officials involved in the Philippine Basketball Association executive committee meeting Friday disclosed that Webb is set to be recommended to the board of governors as interim replacement for resigned commissioner Noli Eala.

League chairman Ricky Vargas of Talk ‘N Text, who presided upon that meeting, refused to deny or confirm Webb's impending selection, saying the committee's choice has to be kept secret pending the approval of the entire board.

"Please allow me to not divulge it [the executive comittee's decision]," Vargas politely asked this reporter. "I would still have to justify [the choice] to the board so that when the time (Monday meeting) comes, we will have a consensus already.

"I'm actually calling each of them [board members] now."

But two separate sources last night confirmed Webb, the former star point guard and Olympian, senator and actor will land the job, besting four other candidates in the first round of deliberations.

Vargas, sources said, has already talked to Webb and is expected to justify the committee's choice to the board this weekend.

The board meets again on Monday and will announce the OIC, who will take over from Eala, the league's sixth commissioner who resigned Tuesday following his recent disbarment by the Supreme Court for "immorality."

Webb, a speedy guard, played for Tanduay from 1976 to 1978 before hanging up his sneakers. He went on to become an actor, won a congressional seat representing Parañaque before moving on to become a senator.

The other OIC choices were former PBA players Ed Cordero and Fritz Gaston, businessman Lambert Ramos and former PBA executive director Renauld "Sonny" Barrios.

"We came up with a set of criteria and Mr. Webb fits the bill," one source said on condition that he is not identified.

"Based on informal discussions with other members of the board, he has the numbers," said the other source, who also did not want to be identified, in a text message.

The OIC does not necessarily become the commissioner later on although he would have the inside track since he will have one full conference to show what he can do. His first function would be to oversee the PBA Annual Draft, scheduled on Aug. 19 at the Market! Market! shopping mall in Taguig.

gameface_one
08-11-2007, 07:16 AM
Barrios says he’s available for OIC job

By TITO TALAO
mb.com.ph

The call of duty has summoned back from private life former PBA executive-director Sonny Barrios who bared yesterday his availability for appointment as officer-in-charge of the leaderless 33-year-old professional league.

"If the PBA needs me for a transitory engagement, say, for only a few months, then I’m offering my services," said Barrios, who served the league for 18 years in various capacities, including as second-in-command to former commissioner Jun Bernardino and as OIC when Bernardino fell ill in 2002.

Barrios was among a short list of potential replacements for Bernardino that year, narrowly losing out to TV broadcaster and lawyer Noli Eala.

The commissioner’s post became vacant Tuesday following Eala’s sudden resignation in the aftermath of a headlinehugging Supreme Court decision disbarring him from practicing law.

Barrios, who is awaiting their first clients in a care home facility for the developmentally disabled which he and his family set up in Sacramento, said he can make adjustments in his schedule if the job is offered to him.

"I can put back for a few months our family project and be of assistance to the PBA if I’m needed," he said. "It’s my way of giving back to the league I love so much."

Among the first persons Barrios consulted when his name came out in the papers, along with that of former senator Freddie Webb, ex-PBA players Fritz Gaston and Ed Cordero, and corporate executive Lambert Ramos, was former commissioner Rudy Salud.

"He has been my mentor ever since and I relayed to him my intention to offer my services, but for OIC only," he said. "He gave me his blessings."

Barrios said he has one request in the event he is named, that he be allowed to bring with him his legal counsel.

"I hope to ask Chito Salud, the eldest son of Commissioner Salud, to be my legal counsel," he said.

The younger Salud, 45, once headed the National Home Mortgage and Finance Corporation and the Natural Resource Corporation.

The elder Salud, an astute lawyer who crafted the charter of the World Boxing Council, was brought in as counsel of founding commissioner Leo Prieto in 1975, while Butch Cleofe became the legal eagle of Salud when he took over the league’s reins in the late ‘80s.

gameface_one
08-12-2007, 07:56 AM
Webb a 7-2 choice by PBA board

By Beth Celis
Inquirer
Last updated 05:48am (Mla time) 08/12/2007

MANILA, Philippines—Yes, that’s what I heard too. Freddie Webb’s the choice of the PBA executive committee to sit as officer-in-charge until a permanent replacement for Noli Eala is found

Of course, Freddie could be the permanent commissioner too. But the immediate plan is to fill in the vacuum as soon as possible on an interim basis. No one is thinking long term right now.

The official announcement will be made on Monday, Aug. 13, after the board meeting where the matter will be taken to an official vote, unless the choice is unanimous.

From what I gathered, the voting in favor of Freddie is 7-2 as of today.

The way I understand it, a member of the execom has already talked with Freddie and he is inclined to accept, although he hasn’t given his final nod yet.

Freddie wanted to be clear about the process, the responsibilities, and the tenure among other things.

The former cage hero, who also went into politics and showbiz, was chosen from among five other candidates in a short list because the execom wanted somebody who is already familiar with the league.

Freddie was immensely popular during his playing years, the simpatico type who was friendly and accommodating to the fans. More importantly, he is somebody who will create an immediate impact.

“Helping us out in this crucial time will be a supreme sacrifice for Freddie if he agrees. More than anything, he will be doing us a big favor,” said one board representative. “We hope he says yes.”

In the event that Freddie declines, it will probably be because an OIC position does not appeal to him as much as a permanent one might.

Or so I heard.

Anyway, we will find out the real score tomorrow when the board convenes.

Now that he has retired from politics, the former senator and congressman is dividing his time between sports and showbiz. He hosts a regular sports talk show on radio and co-stars with Eddie Gutierrez in a sitcom entitled “Dalawang Tisoy” aired over Channel 9.

I’m just not sure if the show is still on.

Personally, I remember Freddie best in the sitcom “Chicks to Chicks” where he played the character of Jimmy Capistrano, devoted husband who remained loyal to wife Nova Villa despite being surrounded by sexy temptresses like Carmi Martin.

At long last, James and Kris were finally able to take their long overdue vacation.

They had planned to go to Bangkok for their wedding anniversary, but since James was invited to join the national team that time, the trip was cancelled.

As soon as James returned from Tokushima, Japan, the couple flew to Boracay with the whole family and James’ family too.

gameface_one
08-12-2007, 07:57 AM
PBA OFFICER-IN-CHARGE
A hard job, but I’ll take it–Webb

By Musong R. Castillo
Inquirer
Last updated 05:48am (Mla time) 08/12/2007

MANILA, Philippines—Like a real trooper, former Sen. Freddie Webb said that he would take the post of PBA officer-in-charge without thinking twice and with no strings attached.

“If offered (the post), for someone who has been involved with basketball practically his entire life, I wouldn’t think twice (of accepting),” Webb told the Inquirer over the phone yesterday while spending time in a mall with his family.

“And I wouldn’t mind if they pick anyone (for commissioner) after my term (as OIC) expires,” he added. “It will be their (board of governors) call.”

Webb’s name has floated as the likely OIC after at least two members of the league’s executive committee confirmed to the Inquirer that chair Ricky Vargas will endorse his appointment.

The board meets tomorrow to decide on the OIC with Vargas, the Talk ‘N Text representative, having already done the rounds with his fellow members “so that we will arrive with a consensus on Monday.”

Webb, though, said that he has yet to receive a formal offer, and that what he has gotten were only “feelers.”

A college star with Letran before becoming an Olympian as a star guard for the now defunct Yco team, Webb played for three seasons in the PBA with Tanduay (1976-78) and later had a brief stint as coach for Shell.

He went on to become a congressman after a stint with showbiz and later made it to the Senate.

The league started its search for an OIC after Noli Eala, the PBA’s sixth commissioner, resigned last week in the wake of his disbarment by the Supreme Court for “immorality.”

Several names have cropped up as Eala’s possible replacement, but the executive committee on Friday morning trimmed down a list of 19 candidates to five who will act as OIC.

Others who were considered for the OIC job were Renauld “Sonny” Barrios, Ed Cordero, Fritz Gaston and Lambert Ramos. All four of them, though, as well as several others, will still be included in the final list from which the board will pick its next commissioner.

The list of candidates for commissioners includes grand slam-winning coach and former deputy commissioner Tommy Manotoc, lawyer Chito Salud, corporate man Bert Manlapit, Philip Cezar, Chino Trinidad and national coach Chot Reyes.

“Make no mistake about it, it will be a hard job,” Webb said of being OIC. “But in the short span of time that I’ll have, I’ll give it my best. ”

The next PBA season opens on Sept. 23, with the OIC buckling down to work immediately during the annual Draft scheduled Sunday next week at the Market! Market!.

gameface_one
08-13-2007, 08:28 AM
PBA body to name Webb OIC Monday

By NELSON BELTRAN
The Philippine Star

The PBA board of governors will name the man who will temporarily take over from resigned commissioner Noli Eala Monday in a decision it hopes would be the best it could come up with since it would impact on the progress and development of the pro league.

The board names the league officer-in-charge in a meeting at the Makati Shangri-La Hotel at noon.

If the board would go through an earlier consensus, Freddie Webb would be the choice to hold the rein in the league at least on a short-term basis. The former senator was reportedly assured of seven votes on the eve of the meeting.

"It would be hard to reverse the decision. The executive board is all for Freddie Webb and it enjoys the trust of the governors," said a reliable course.

Four other personalities in former PBA executive director Sonny Barrios, UAAP commissioner Ed Cordero, women’s national coach Fritz Gaston and corporate man Lambert Ramos are the other candidates.

Webb, an Olympian and former YCO player who later on called the shots for Shell in the mid-80s, has said he welcomes the chance to make the league stronger.

The OIC is to run the affairs of the league during the transition period but could become the leading contender as the PBA’s seventh commissioner after Leo Prieto, Mariano Yenko, Rudy Salud, Rey Marquez, Jun Bernardino and Eala, depending on his performance.

"While the role of the OIC is a stop-gap measure, whoever is named will be a logical candidate for commissioner. It’s not a trial period because the OIC will serve a different purpose," said board chairman Ricky Vargas.

Vargas, however, said they welcome those who will apply for the job of permanent commissioner.

Nineteen names were considered for OIC. Vargas said some of them would still be considered as the board makes a new list of candidates for the full-time commissioner. The board is to form a special committee to run the search.

Vargas said the committee choice would consider a background on corporate management in picking the commissioner

"In the long term, we will transform the PBA into a corporation with a president and commissioners for marketing and operations," Vargas said.

The meeting is hosted by Alaska Milk with club owner Wilfred Steven Uytengsu treating the board following the Aces’ title conquest in the recent PBA Fiesta Cup.

It’s one of the last board affairs to be presided over by Vargas as he’s soon succeeded by Red Bull’s Tony Chua.

Howard the Duck
08-13-2007, 07:30 PM
bakit si sonny barios ang nasa news kanina ???

toti_mendiola
08-13-2007, 11:23 PM
Amorous lang siguro si Atty. Noli Eala.
Romantic at hanep ang diga sa mga love letters niya.

My everdearest Irene,

By the time you open this, you’ll be moments away from walking down the aisle. I will say a prayer for you that you may find meaning in what you’re about to do.

Sometimes I wonder why we ever met. Is it only for me to find fleeting happiness but experience eternal pain? Is it only for us to find a true love but then lose it again? Or is it because there’s a bigger plan for the two of us?

I hope that you have experienced true happiness with me. I have done everything humanly possible to love you. And today, as you make your vows . . . I make my own vow to YOU!

I will love you for the rest of my life. I loved you from the first time I laid eyes on you, to the time we spent together, up to the final moments of your single life. But more importantly, I will love you until the life in me is gone and until we are together again.

Do not worry about me! I will be happy for you. I have enough memories of us to last me a lifetime. Always remember though that in my heart, in my mind and in my soul, YOU WILL ALWAYS

. . . AND THE WONDERFUL THINGS YOU DO!

BE MINE . . . . AND MINE ALONE, and I WILL ALWAYS BE YOURS AND YOURS ALONE!

I LOVE YOU FOREVER, I LOVE YOU FOR ALWAYS. AS LONG AS I’M LIVING MY TWEETIE YOU’LL BE!”

Eternally yours,

NOLI

gameface_one
08-16-2007, 09:33 AM
Webb still a candidate

SPORTING CHANCE By JOAQUIN M. HENSON
Philstar.com

Freddie Webb was supposed to be named PBA Officer-in-Charge last Monday but instead, Sonny Barrios got the job.

The Philippine Star

Freddie Webb was supposed to be named PBA Officer-in-Charge last Monday but instead, Sonny Barrios got the job.

Newspaper reports quoted reliable sources as claiming Webb had the backing of at least seven members of the PBA Board of Governors and was a shoo-in for the position.

Webb even met with outgoing PBA chairman Ricky Vargas, new chairman Tony Chua and vice-chairman Joaqui Trillo to talk about the work ahead in a breakfast meeting at the Makati Shangri-La hotel lobby last Friday.

In the end, Barrios gained the unanimous nod because the Board decided to keep Webb as a candidate for commissioner. The Board didn’t want to rush naming Noli Eala’s successor and agreed the OIC would serve only in an interim capacity and not be considered for the permanent position.

That’s why, during a recess of last Monday’s Board meeting, Vargas phoned Barrios and was assured the former PBA executive director had no plans of serving beyond the OIC assignment.

“I’m happy that Sonny was chosen for the job because he’s definitely the right guy,” said Webb. “He’s very qualified. I was never promised the job although from what I read in the papers, I was a strong candidate. Just to be considered as a candidate was a big honor since I’ve been out of PBA circulation for a while. Maybe, God has something else in mind for me. I don’t think this was meant to be.”

Webb said he never sought the position.

“I was approached,” he said. “The PBA was in a jam and needed somebody to step in quickly. I was asked if I could be available. You know I would never turn my back on the PBA. I told Mr. Vargas I would be willing to serve without any conditions.”

When word leaked out that he would likely be designated, Webb said he got tons of text messages from friends and well-wishers expressing congratulations.

“I texted them all back, telling them it’s not a done deal, that nothing’s confirmed,” said Webb. “When I was told Sonny was named, I didn’t feel slighted. I wasn’t hurt. Like I told Mr. Vargas, it’s an honor to just be considered. I know Sonny will do a good job.”

Webb, 64, said he has no work commitments at the moment except for a one-hour Saturday afternoon sports radio program on dzMM. He has no pending contracts to do TV shows.

Webb, whose son Jason also played in the PBA and now does broadcast work, said he always finds time to go to the gym.

“I work out about 1 1/2 hours five days a week either at Slimmers World on Pasay Road or Gold’s Gym at Glorietta,” said Webb. “If I miss out, my body feels it. The workouts keep me going.”

Webb was elected councilor of Pasay City in 1971-86, congressman of Parañaque from 1987 to 1992 and senator from 1992 to 1998. The former PBA coach and cager saw action for the last Philippine team that played in the Olympics, joining Bogs Adornado, Danny Florencio and Jimmy Mariano in Munich in 1972.

Barrios, 59, said like Webb, he’ll never turn his back on the PBA.

“I owe too much to the PBA,” said Barrios who will delay relocating to Sacramento with wife Becky to start a care-giving facility for the developmentally disabled because of the OIC assignment.

Five years ago, Barrios was a candidate to become the league’s sixth commissioner but Eala got the job.

“Of course, I was disappointed,” recalled Barrios, an Ateneo product from elementary to undergraduate. “It was the Board’s prerogative. No one has an inheritance right to the position. Media described me as the natural and logical choice for the job but it’s neither nature nor logic that chooses. My training in 18 years in the PBA prepared me to accept whatever is the Board’s decision without question. The irony was after Jun (Bernardino) retired, Noli, who was hosting a radio program, phoned me for an interview while I was driving to work and called me the next commissioner. I told him the job wasn’t automatically mine even if I was then the executive director. Jun was just two days retired and no list of candidates had come out yet. Eventually, a list was made and Noli was named a candidate.”

Barrios said he’s certain Bernardino, who passed away this year, had a hand in his appointment.

“This is an opportunity for me to do what Jun would’ve wanted me to do,” he said. “The night before my appointment was announced, Jun was inducted into the PBA Press Corps Hall of Fame and I attended the ceremony to pay tribute to a dear friend. I was a long-shot candidate for OIC then. The next day was Jun’s wife Mimi’s birthday and it was also the day when the Board decided to name me as OIC. That had to be my blowout from Jun to celebrate Mimi’s birthday.”