PDA

View Full Version : SEASON 83 MVP

Joescoundrel
08-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Fellow hardcore hoops fanatics, who do you think SHOULD be the NCAA Season 83 Most Valuable Player?

I use the term SHOULD as opposed to "will" since I want the discussion to be as free-flowing and INTELLIGENT as possible.

If you pick OTHER as a vote option please post the player's name in your reply and tell us why you picked said player.

I'd say RJ Jazul of Letran would get my vote. On a Letran team that is no longer star-studded he has blossomed into a true team leader and has ably been the heart and soul of the Knights this season.

BigBlue
08-09-2007, 03:37 PM
is Sam Ekwe disqualified from getting individual awards, having been suspended earlier in the season?

bluegirl
08-09-2007, 03:41 PM
is Sam Ekwe disqualified from getting individual awards, having been suspended earlier in the season?

yup that's right.

Joescoundrel
08-09-2007, 04:07 PM

yup that's right.

Remember folks its SHOULD not "will".

I have thus included the venerable Mr Sam Ekwe in the poll.

christian
08-09-2007, 09:00 PM
The impact that Sam Ekwe brings on the court should be more than enough to get him his second MVP award, kaya lang... :)

Kelvin De La Pena, with the way he is playing right now, might be considered, and if he can bring his team all the way to the Finals.

mighty_lion
08-09-2007, 09:43 PM
Statswise and impact, Sam Ekwe. Hands down.
My homer vote --> Yousif Aljamal.

Kung effeciency rating ang pag-uusapan malayo si Yousif sa MVP contention. He is somewhere 5-8th in position. Cant blame him statswise kung bakit ganun yong performance nya. Just imagine if your the team going against San Beda, sino ang i-shut down mo dapat. With all the defenses that he was receiving as the primary marker, he is good enough in to maintain such scoring average from last year. Sa rebounding naman, as much as he can increase suchs stat, pag ang kakampi mo ay isang Sam Ekwe... alam nyo na. Scoring and rebounding is not just what he brings to the team. He brings leadership and something new this year is his ability to create scoring opportunities for his teammates.

I hope our King Lion gets the award this year.

Sam Miguel
08-10-2007, 09:41 AM
RJ Jazul is doing a splendid job of being the leader of a Letran team that no longer has a big name superstar. San Beda is still a team of wall-to-wall All Stars and Sam Ekwe is still the king of the stats line, but Jazul has held the Knights together this season and has kept them near the top of the standings. His selfless play and leadership has rubbed off well on another former B Team Knight, the overachieving Rey Guevarra.

mighty_lion
08-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Statswise and impact, Sam Ekwe. Hands down.
My homer vote --> Yousif Aljamal.*

Kung effeciency rating ang pag-uusapan malayo si Yousif sa MVP contention. He is somewhere 5-8th in position. Cant blame him statswise kung bakit ganun yong performance nya. Just imagine if your the team going against San Beda, sino ang i-shut down mo dapat. With all the defenses that he was receiving as the primary marker, he is good enough in to maintain such scoring average from last year. Sa rebounding naman, as much as he can increase suchs stat, pag ang kakampi mo ay isang Sam Ekwe... alam nyo na. Scoring and rebounding is not just what he brings to the team. He brings leadership and something new this year is his ability to create scoring opportunities for his teammates.

I hope our King Lion gets the award this year.

Not to mention he is eigth in average assist per game and the only power forward/center who is on Top 25 in assist dept in NCAA.

De La Pena and Hayes are deserving forerunners for this award also.

toti_mendiola
08-10-2007, 12:59 PM
Hayes, Menor and Pong should be among those on top of the MVP race. Sayang lang talaga at walang PCU, sana kasali din si Jason Castro.

mighty_lion
08-10-2007, 01:24 PM
post deleted. wrong button.

Wang-Bu
08-10-2007, 03:26 PM
Mas mabigat ang dinadalang responsibilidad ni RJ Jazul para sa Letran kaysa sa dinadala ni Sam Ekwe para sa San Beda. Nung Season 82 walang duda na talaga namang si Ekwe ang nagdala sa San Beda, kumbaga siya ang naging new generation na "Big Difference" para sa Red Lions. Pero sa Seaosn 83 hindi matatawaran ang kakaibang inangat ng laro ni Jazul na tumatayong pinuno na ngayon ng Letran, lalo pa't gaya na nga ng mga nabanggit ng iba, wala ng big time na superstar ang Letran.

toti_mendiola
08-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Not to take anything from rj jazul. But we should also credit the men behind those performances. Yung mga workhorse ng knights na nagbibigay ng mga intimidating screens and picks para makakawala siya sa depensa at mas dumali ang tira niya.
Si Kelvin dela peÑa ang mas palagay kong talagang kayod kabayo.

jayverns
08-12-2007, 09:43 PM
Ogie Menor
Pong Escobal

irateluvmachine
08-13-2007, 07:08 AM
if we are to base it on stats and impact alone, it has to be sam ekwe. unfortunately, his suspension disqualifies him from mvp honors, so i'll have to go with kelvin dela pena...

datu_pula
08-13-2007, 10:40 AM
if we are to base it on stats and impact alone, it has to be sam ekwe.* unfortunately, his suspension disqualifies him from mvp honors, so i'll have to go with kelvin dela pena...
Yes, it will not be Sam Ekwe, per the rules, --although there is no such provision-- or perhaps a resolution(?) of the NCAA ManCom exists to this effect.* The proper award to be given at the end of the 83rd season should be the NVP (next valuable player).* The Mythical 5 should be the Mystical 5, without Sam.* Ekwe, instead of being the Defensive Player of the Year, will be The Pensive Player of the Year, wondering how the Korean Lee who skillfully upended him got away with attempted serious injury and a congratulatory tap from one of his coaching staff.* I don't remember if Lee also was rewarded with charity free throws, for being kicked in the rib cage.* Sam has to be lectured on the '11th' commandment: Thou shall not get caught.* A variation: Initiate but never, never retaliate (read: pikon talo).

redbluegreen018
08-14-2007, 01:44 PM
Yousif Aljamal of course! ;D

st_ang3r
08-24-2007, 10:25 PM
dela peña...

Howard the Duck
08-24-2007, 10:49 PM
dela pena since di na rin pwede si aljamal dahil suspended ;D

danny
08-29-2007, 06:31 AM
dela pena since di na rin pwede si aljamal dahil suspended ;D

The suspension memo of Mancom dated August 8 (several days before the PBA draft), was delivered to San Beda on August 21, was reduced during an emergency meeting by the Policy Board on Aug. 22 was blocked by the TRO issued on the same date. When you posted your reply, Aljamal's suspension was already blocked.

Fast forward , Aljamal is still eligible for the MVP race after the amicable settlement.

mighty_lion
08-29-2007, 10:15 AM
I think this title is a tug-of-war between the following: Aljamal, Dela Pena and Marvin Hayes. Dela Pena is leading the efficiency stats though.

christian
08-29-2007, 10:28 AM
Lamang dyan si Kelvin, hindi gaganda ang laro ng MIT if not for KDP :) Pero, i'm still rooting for YOUSIF ALJAMAL! ;D

aircanda
09-01-2007, 08:45 PM
de la pena.. leadership.. si escobal ba hndi running?

indian
09-07-2007, 01:35 PM
de la pena.. leadership.. si escobal ba hndi running?

oo nga.. nasan nga ba si escobal sa race?
he's one of the smartest players in the league right now.

eggyboi
09-07-2007, 01:44 PM
ako bedista ako.. pero pag mvp na usapan.. deserving si dela pena if and only if he could steer his team to an uspet against san beda.... hehehe.... pero bilib talaga ako sa mamang un... :)

mighty_lion
09-12-2007, 11:15 PM
I think its Final na yata. Dela Pena is the MVP.

Congrats to Him!

Btw, si Dave daw ang ROY! ;D

chief
09-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Yep.... I agree that Dela Peña should be the MVP. Because in retrospect, Mapua wouldn't have gone far without his basketball prowess. But I also feel that the MVP award should come from the teams who placed in the Finals, because if their players are really good, they should've led their team to the finals.

joelex
09-13-2007, 08:51 PM
Yep.... I agree that Dela Peña should be the MVP.* Because in retrospect, Mapua wouldn't have gone far without his basketball prowess.* But I also feel that the MVP award should come from the teams who placed in the Finals, because if their players are really good, they should've led their team to the finals.

agreed. very well said

christian
09-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Yousif Aljamal placed second to KDP's PAV, only a point separates them, but that was before their final four encounter. Does anybody here knows the PAV's of the candidates? Thanks!

aircanda
09-16-2007, 05:57 PM
i thought suspended na c yousif 4 da rest of the season?
sori..kulang info q..

chba_dude
09-17-2007, 01:34 PM
As far as I know, hanggang stats lang sa elims ang ginagamit to determine the MVP.

jiggerman04
09-17-2007, 04:08 PM
As far as I know, hanggang stats lang sa elims ang ginagamit to determine the MVP.

hindi ba kasama ang votes ng mga media?

gameface_one
09-18-2007, 09:14 AM
Anybody’s race for NCAA hoops awards

Inquirer
Last updated 04:55am (Mla time) 09/18/2007

GAMES WEDNESDAY (Araneta Coliseum)
2 p.m. -- San Sebastian vs Letran (Juniors)
4 p.m. -- San Beda vs Letran (Seniors)

MANILA, Philippines -- Thanks to Sam Ekwe, the chase for the NCAA’s season-ending individual awards has become a wide open race.

With the San Beda College import getting disqualified following an infraction in the middle of the season, this year’s honor roll became a tossup among Mapua Institute of Technology’s Kelvin dela Peña, Ekwe’s teammate Yousif Aljamal and Jose Rizal University’s Marvin Hayes.

The Mapua Cardinals’ swingman topped the statistical race after the eliminations after powering his team to the Final Four.

The Fil-Canadian even delayed the scheduled surgery on a lump on his right knee to help Mapua, which eventually lost to defending champion San Beda in their semifinal duel last week.

Dela Peña posted 617 SPs after 12 games for an average of 51.4 points. He actually ranked second behind Ekwe, last year’s MVP-Rookie of the Year, who kicked Sang Lee of University of Perpetual Help in the eliminations and incurred a one-game suspension.

The misdemeanor automatically disqualified Ekwe from the awards.

Pro-bound Aljamal is in second place with 507 SPs for an average of 50.7 after 10 games.

The JRU Heavy Bombers’ do-it-all forward Hayes came in third with 530 SPs and a 44.2 average. The 6-foot-3 sophomore is also the frontrunner for the Most Improved Player award over Letran College’s Bryan Faundo and Dino Daa.

Faundo racked up a 40.4 average from 17.3 last season. Daa has a 40.1 average from 22.6 last year.

Red Lions slotman David Marcelo is ahead in the Rookie of the Year race with 28.7 SPs. Teammate Garvo Lanete is second (24.8), while Mapua guard Jonathan Banal is third with 24.2.

Six-foot-6 Jason Ballesteros of San Sebastian College is Defensive Player award leader with averages of 11.8 rebounds and 2.4 blocks. Mapua’s Neil Pascual is second (7.8rpg, 1.3bpg) and Dela Peña third (8.6 rpg, 2.3 steals per game). Marc Anthony Reyes

mighty_lion
09-18-2007, 09:19 AM
Ano yon SP?

edited: sagutin ko na rin statistical points. ;D

Mang_Roger
09-18-2007, 09:26 AM
The Einsteins' may have cost Aljamal the MVP plum for this season* :-\ :-\.

mighty_lion
09-18-2007, 09:30 AM
The Eisnteins' may have cost Aljamal the MVP plum for this season* :-\ :-\.

Ok lang yan.. A back to back Finals MVP is far away sweeter than a single Season MVP. A Rookie-MVP plum is not even close to that.* ;D Go Jamal! Para max contract ka kay Frankie. Haha.

Mang_Roger
09-18-2007, 09:42 AM
The Eisnteins' may have cost Aljamal the MVP plum for this season* :-\ :-\.

Ok lang yan.. A back to back Finals MVP is far away sweeter than a single Season MVP. A Rookie-MVP plum is not even close to that.* ;D Go Jamal! Para max contract ka kay Frankie. Haha.

True. But snatching the Rookie of the Year, Most Valuable Player and Back-to-Back Title (still keeping my fingers crossed) in the same season is a feat probably unmatched in the history of the NCAA.

LION
09-18-2007, 10:52 AM
If the basis for selecting the MVP and ROY is purely statistics earned during the eliminations round, then the lone superstar of a weaker team will have a built in advantage. He can pile up points to his liking. Thus, 2 years ago we have the spectacle of a Jay Sagad winning the MVP award despite his team finishing at the bottom ranking. How can that player be considered MVP when his team finished last?

Dapat isama rin ang statistics earned at least in the Final 4 to give premium to players who really contributed in making their respective teams finish in the top 4 of the league.

In my book, a player has no right to be called MVP if he can't make his team win.

oca
09-18-2007, 11:04 AM
If the basis for selecting the MVP and ROY is purely statistics earned during the eliminations round, then the lone superstar of a weaker team will have a built in advantage.* He can pile up points to his liking.* Thus, 2 years ago we have the spectacle of a Jay Sagad winning the MVP award despite his team finishing at the bottom ranking.* How can that player be considered MVP when his team finished last?* *

Dapat isama rin ang statistics earned at least in the Final 4* to give premium to players who really contributed* in making their respective teams finish in the top 4 of the league.

In my book, a player has no right to be called MVP if he can't make his team win.*

I think the "Sagad Case" has been remedied by giving players "bonus SP" for games that they played where their team won.

LION
09-18-2007, 11:58 AM
^ Then that is a step in the right direction. How many "bonus SPs" are added sir?

oca
09-18-2007, 12:22 PM
^ Then that is a step in the right direction.* How many "bonus SPs" are added sir?* *

Di ko alam ang detalye ng modification na ginawa nila. But looking at the leading MVP candidates, wala yung mga magagaling na players from teams at the lower half of the standings....

LION
09-18-2007, 03:40 PM
Ok thanks. Now, if we could combine the "bonus SPs" plus the SPs earned in the F4, then the players whose teams reach the F4 should have a bigger chance of winning the MVP. Ang MVP dapat manggaling sa F4 team at the very least. We should equate the MVP with winning.

a_ron
09-18-2007, 11:39 PM
RY Jasul...will be this year NCAA MVP..for the reason that he makes the crucial basket which the moast important basket..and he is consistent of his scoring i just dont know his average bt i think it is almost 20 a game..the letran knights rely always on Jasul and almost all the time jasul responded and gave the win to the knights...

mighty_lion
09-19-2007, 08:21 AM
RY Jasul...will be this year NCAA MVP..for the reason that he makes the crucial basket which the moast important basket..and he is consistent of his scoring i just dont know his average bt i think it is almost 20 a game..the letran knights rely always on Jasul and almost all the time jasul responded and gave the win to the knights...

Si Dela Pena na ang Season MVP.

Si Gabby Espinas ba Rookie-MVP and Finals MVP din nung 2003?

amdgc82
09-19-2007, 08:40 AM

Not 2003 but 2004, Robert Sanz was the 2004 Finals MVP

mighty_lion
09-19-2007, 09:02 AM

Thanks for info. So wala pa palang Rookie-MVP at Finals MVP on the same season. Magkaroon kaya nito sa UAAP at NCAA.

Howard the Duck
09-19-2007, 01:59 PM

Thanks for info. So wala pa palang Rookie-MVP at Finals MVP on the same season. Magkaroon kaya nito sa UAAP at NCAA.
Espinach and Ekwe were season MVPs and ROYs on 2004 and 2006, respectively.

gameface_one
09-27-2007, 09:51 AM
Mapua star De la Peña named MVP
mb.com.ph

Mapua’s KELVIN DE LA Peña was named the Most Valuable Player of the 83rd NCAA basketball tournament, besting Yousif Aljamal of San Beda and Marvin Hayes of host Jose Rizal University.

The 6-foot-1 Dela Peña, a third-year guard, became his school’s first recipient of the coveted individual award since Ruben Dela Rosa won the award 12 years ago.

Dela Peña, who helped Mapua reached the Final Four for the third consecutive season, accumulated a Player’s All-Around Value (PAV) of 51.4 after the elimination phase.

Statistics in the Final Four do not count.

"It’s really a big honor to be recognized for all the hard work and sacrifices I’ve done," Dela Peña said. "But I share this with my teammates and the coaching staff. Coach Leo (Isaac) really helped me improve my game this season. Without their help I don’t think I’ll be named MVP.

Dela Peña also thanked former MIT coach Horacio Lim.

Dela Peña averaged 15.8 points, 8.6 rebounds, 5.8 assists and 2.3 steals per game during the season.

The Mapua star was also named to the Mythical Selection where he was joined by Aljamal, Hayes and Letran forwards Dennis Daa and Bryan Faundo.

Hayes also bagged the Most Improved award, while 6-foot-8 center Jason Ballesteros of San Sebastian College was named the Defensive Player of the Year. Dave Marcelo was awarded the Rookie of the Year honors.

In the junior division, Ryan Buenafe won the MVP award, with a PAV of 76.9, beating out Keith Agovida of the JRU Light Bombers and John Noble of the Letran Squires.

Joining Buenafe, Agovida and Noble in the Mythical Selection are Arvie Bringas of SSC and Nicolas Salva of the San Beda Red Cubs.

Agovida also won the Defensive Player and Rookie of the Year awards, while Christian Dela Paz captured the Most Improved Player trophy. – Waylon GALVEZ