PDA

View Full Version : Eliminations First Round Game 8: UST

bigfreeze_bibby
08-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Our first match up in the 2nd round will be against the defending champs. Kazim Mirza is on a high as of the moment and I feel he, Ababou, and Jervy Cruz will be the key players to watch out. As seen on the game against NU, UST might (and all the other schools) ploy also the box and 1 strategy to negate JV Casio. If we want to win this ballgame, other players should step up and score outside of JV. Bader has to make his shots and Rico must keep himself from foul trouble so that we can use him more in the game.

If on our first round encounter we were lucky to escape an OT win with Kish playing center, I don't think that strategy will work this time around. We should play notches higher if we want to beat UST. Cover their tall shooters and try to prevent Jervy from positioning himself on his comfort zone.

Your thoughts guys on our first 2nd round assignment this Saturday.

nel
08-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Boss bfb, shouldn't the title be : "Eliminations Second Round Game 8: UST"? Looks like you've still got a hangover from the first round.

=======================

After the first round, there shouldn't be any major surprises from the other teams. We've seen what they can do, and they've seen that the Archers may have lost that "fear factor" because they can be beaten.

The Archers have rarely played with a complete lineup, and as a result are still working on the possible player combinations on offense and defense. The delayed return of Atkins and Ilad will mean that they have to work themselves back into the rotation and get back into shape after that enforced rest.

I suspect that Coach Franz has kept somethings still under wraps. He's been unusually calm during the games, even during tight situations, and this makes me suspect that so far everything's going according to plan.

UST is a tough team, and the Archers will have to focus 100% on defense because of UST's inside and outside threats. Cuan's penetrations will have to be stopped, as he successfully blew by his guard a number of times and successfully fed his teammates under the basket after their guards switched to stop his penetration. We may see some new wrinkles in the press and trap. I also expect more boxing out on defense and a renewed commitment not to give up too many inside points. UST will have to beat us from the perimeter.

On offense, Jv will be guarded by a much taller player, and may also face the box-and-one setup. However, Franz and his assistants will probably already have worked out counter measures. Rico will have to watch his fouls and stay on the court longer.

The mental toughness and focus of the team will now have to shift into a higher gear, and avoid the momentary lapses of concentration that plagued them often in the first round. I'm optimistic we'll see the same result as in the first round.

bigfreeze_bibby
08-07-2007, 01:32 PM
nel, sorry for the wrong mistake hehe. Mukhang may hang over pa nga ako sa first round. I am also hoping that Atkins can play already because this relieves JV of his point guard chores (bawas pagod din yan). Mirza already guarded JV in their first round encounter so tingin ko for the second round match up, matinding denial na lang siguro gagawin nila dyan.

Kid Cubao
08-07-2007, 02:21 PM
just prevent them from distancing with a scoring bubble like what they did to ateneo, and keep poised in the end-game. kaya nyo yan mga repapips. walang imposible if you play as A TEAM.

jembengzon
08-07-2007, 03:03 PM
it's ust that has to make the adjustments to dlsu, not the other way around. dlsu will play them as you always do: pressure packed, forcing them to play at a tempo they're not comfortable with, using transition offense to negate a height disadvantage. you'll make jervy move around more and work for his points, so that will tire him in the second half.

the real question is can they handle the dlsu pressure enough to go into their half-court game, and stretch the defense with their shooters to let jervy do his stuff inside ? the real objective of your press has been to force tempo of the game to your liking, and wind down the shot clock, if disruption doesn't work. they actually turned passive in advancing the ball upcourt, and by the time they went into their set play, the shot clock was winding down.

your transition game is key. dlsu guards aggresively attacked the ust interior when its outside game wasn't working, and ty tang got the defenders on their heels with short stop and pop jumpers from the foul line. just keep attacking the whole game, and you'll be fine.

flsfnoeraekadad
08-07-2007, 07:41 PM
just prevent them from distancing with a scoring bubble like what they did to ateneo, and keep poised in the end-game. kaya nyo yan mga repapips. walang imposible if you play as A TEAM.
Actually, nagkaroon din ng scoring bubble ang USTe sa amin. Kaya lang, mabuti maaga pa at nagawan ng paraan.

batangueño
08-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Aside from neutralizing Cuan and Cruz (which the Lasallian big men found difficult to guard), the Archers should also watch out for other Tigers who can step up for España's campaign such as Mirza, Ababou, Espiritu, Canlas and Allera.

The Lasallian big men should also be very careful about their foul troubles. If not for the performance of guards JV, TY and Cholo last time, the Archers could have choked and the Tigers broke their "jinx" against La Salle.

batangueño
08-12-2007, 09:33 AM
UST wins over La Salle, 81-73.

t was one of the more painful losses of the Archers that I have seen since the time I started following the team. I just can't believe that our boys let the ten-point lead over UST in less than one minute left in the fourth quarter be blown away like that. Oh well... ::)

Great game by JV and Cholo. Our guards did it again. However, I am hoping that JV is already doing fine after getting that injury during the overtime period.

Congratulations to UST! It was the Tigers' no retreat, no surrender attitude that caused them to snap the eight-year losing streak to La Salle yesterday.

jembengzon
08-12-2007, 09:37 AM
i think i speak for all the hardcore hoop junkies, regardless of school affinity, when i say we hope jv casio's injury isn't serious.* he's been your most consistent player.* and although we've all been painful receipients of his timely hits, we hope he gets well soon.* *:)

batangueño
08-12-2007, 10:25 AM
i think i speak for all the hardcore hoop junkies, regardless of school affinity, when i say we hope jv casio's injury isn't serious. he's been your most consistent player. and although we've all been plainful reciepients of his timely hits, we hope he gets well soon. :)

Thanks jembengzon. :)

We are all praying for JV's speedy recovery. He's our, so far, most consistent player. Except maybe for Cholo Villanueva, none in the current line-up (Bader Malabes is still too raw IMHO) is willing to step into the shoes of JV Casio.

We had a ten-point lead almost towards the end of the fourth quarter. If not for critical errors by some of our players, most especially that of TY, we would have gotten our 16th straight win over UST. :(

bluebruiser90
08-12-2007, 03:22 PM
La Salle just got caught by an emotional tidal wave ridden by the Tigers. Those guys just went bananas. They took tough shots and made them. La Salle lost some veteran smarts in the end game. Had they took time to just hold on to the ball, UST would surely just foul and send the Archers to the line who are almost money all the time. It would have also stopped the UST momentum.

atenean_blooded
08-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Is it just me, or are the nerves getting to Franz Pumaren?

In previous years, whenever we'd get to catch TV coverage of his crucial time-out situations, he'd be cool and calculating and very deliberate.

That demeanor was absent during the Ateneo-La Salle game (you could see the difference between his last time out and Norman Black's), and in yesterday's La Salle-UST game (where again, his attitude was different from Pido Jarencio's).

nel
08-12-2007, 07:05 PM
I'm sure he was frustrated as the Archers deviated from the system after building up that 12 point lead. They started playing out of sync and did a bit of freelancing. The Tigers just exploded and before the Archers could regroup the game was tied. The coach can only do so much, particularly when the players aren't able to follow the game plan.

When a team gets that hot and builds momentum, it's very difficult for the coach to get his team settled down. I think that if we had any other coach, that coach would have gone ballistic. I think we're roughly where the coaches expected us to be at this point of the season. Unlike in previous years, the teams are more or less evenly matched, so outside of UE's dominating performance, the rest of the field (probably except UP) has a chance at making the semifinals. I don't think Franz is pushing the panic button yet, but he has to be a bit steamed at the way the team performed yesterday. The team probably realized the hard way that they can't take anything for granted, and no lead is safe against the competition.

Anyway, congrats to UST for a brave performance and for breaking that long losing streak. The season's sure becoming interesting.

nnr_lexer
08-12-2007, 07:09 PM
JV Casio is indeed a class act on his own. Any news on his situation? Even we non-La Sallians as hoping for the best for JV.

canmaker
08-12-2007, 07:50 PM
La Salle also got hit with the local (UAAP) version of Murphy's Law :

Referee Manalac's Law ...

flsfnoeraekadad
08-12-2007, 07:57 PM

And what is that law???

atenean_blooded
08-12-2007, 08:11 PM

And what is that law???

It depends, if you want things rare, medium rare, medium well, or well done. ;)

batangueño
08-12-2007, 08:17 PM
Boyong Mañalac.

Hindi Buyung. Booooyyyyooonnngggg... May lambing sa dulo. Yong. ;D

flsfnoeraekadad
08-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Isa bang magic law yan? ::)

atenean_blooded
08-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Isa bang magic law yan? ::)

Magic. Kayang gawing bato ang ginto. ;D

batangueño
08-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Kaibigang atenean_blooded, hindi ba kailangan lambingin lang yang si Boyong at nang bumait sa amin? ;D

flsfnoeraekadad
08-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Anak ng tupang ina. Matindi nga! ;D

batangueño
08-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Papaano ba namin pwedeng kausapin yang si Buyung? ;D

atenean_blooded
08-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Ibang klase rin yang si Mañalac. Magic talaga. Kaya niyang mag-conjure ng foul out of nowhere! At heroic din yan. Kaya niyang mag-snatch ng victory from the jaws of defeat. ;D

Hindi ko alam kung kaya ng lambing natin si Mañalac. Pero baka kayanin siya ng lambing nina Ninoy Aquino, Jose Abad Santos, Josefa Llanes Escoda, at Vicente Lim. ;D

flsfnoeraekadad
08-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Ibang klase rin yang si Mañalac. Magic talaga. Kaya niyang mag-conjure ng foul out of nowhere! At heroic din yan. Kaya niyang mag-snatch ng victory from the jaws of defeat. ;DSuperstar player ah. Mala-Kobe Bryant at Dwyane Wade. ;D

atenean_blooded
08-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Ibang klase rin yang si Mañalac. Magic talaga. Kaya niyang mag-conjure ng foul out of nowhere! At heroic din yan. Kaya niyang mag-snatch ng victory from the jaws of defeat. ;DSuperstar player ah. Mala-Kobe Bryant at Dwyane Wade. ;D

Parang si Harry Potter. ;D

ewe_rach
08-12-2007, 09:18 PM
darn it rico! know ur role man! >:(
those hurried shots were uncalled for, truly out of ur prowess!
just go defend ur man, dont shoot when ur heart is not into it.
hayyy...

batangueño
08-12-2007, 09:35 PM

Hindi ba siya kaya ng powers ni Dolores Umbridge o baka talagang si Josefa Llanes-Escoda lang ang katapat ni Buyung? ;D

flsfnoeraekadad
08-12-2007, 11:24 PM

Hindi ba siya kaya ng powers ni Dolores Umbridge o baka talagang si Josefa Llanes-Escoda lang ang katapat ni Buyung? ;D
Baka si Chuchi. ;D

irateluvmachine
08-13-2007, 07:25 AM
darn it rico! know ur role man! >:(
those hurried shots were uncalled for, truly out of ur prowess!
just go defend ur man, dont shoot when ur heart is not into it.
hayyy...

tsk. as i said in another thread, la salle better break its habit of choking in the 2nd half/4th quarter...

manalac's law or no manalac's law..."bo-yong" or no "bo-yong" (LOL!!!), the 2nd half - particularly the last few minutes - is winning time, and i hope the boys put it together while the season's still in its midway point! >:(

bigfreeze_bibby
08-13-2007, 08:54 AM
Sa sama ng loob at inis ko ngayon lang ako magre-react on this thread. The team is the reason why we lost last Saturday. Wala nang iba pang dapat i-blame dyan. The players relaxed and didn't finish UST nung may pagkakataon pa. I can't blame the refs as well. All the reason has to be put to the team's bad plays as of this moment. Reflecting has to be done para bumalik yung killer's instinct nila for the rest of the six games left sa 2nd round.

quadx
08-13-2007, 11:14 AM
49 free throws to UST against 18 for La Salle.

That is why La Salle lost. The referees worked extra hard in the last minute because the lead was too big.

batangueño
08-13-2007, 12:54 PM
Sa sama ng loob at inis ko ngayon lang ako magre-react on this thread. The team is the reason why we lost last Saturday. Wala nang iba pang dapat i-blame dyan. The players relaxed and didn't finish UST nung may pagkakataon pa. I can't blame the refs as well. All the reason has to be put to the team's bad plays as of this moment. Reflecting has to be done para bumalik yung killer's instinct nila for the rest of the six games left sa 2nd round.

My thoughts exactly. ;)

Que andyan man si Buyung o wala, still, the Archers played like bad basketball last Saturday. Mas nakasama pa yata na si JV na lang ang palaging inaasahan at ayaw mag-step up nung iba. >:(

ewe_rach
08-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Sa sama ng loob at inis ko ngayon lang ako magre-react on this thread.* The team is the reason why we lost last Saturday.* Wala nang iba pang dapat i-blame dyan.* The players relaxed and didn't finish UST nung may pagkakataon pa.* I can't blame the refs as well.* All the reason has to be put to the team's bad plays as of this moment.* Reflecting has to be done para bumalik yung killer's instinct nila for the rest of the six games left sa 2nd round.

that should send them nuts. it is good to lose sometimes but not this kind of loss when it will only show that the reason is due mainly of one's complacency and overconfidence. darn it! they could have won that game! :'(

Fried Green Tomato
08-13-2007, 06:56 PM
In short, we had a BOBO LA SALLE Basketball last sat.

But whatever, congrats to UST! Another classic OT game last sat!

ewe_rach
08-13-2007, 08:01 PM
In short, we had a BOBO LA SALLE Basketball last sat.
But whatever, congrats to UST! Another classic OT game last sat!

ouch! :'(