PDA

View Full Version : Season 70 MVP

flsfnoeraekadad
08-06-2007, 10:02 AM
Guys, who do you think is the deserving one for Season 70 MVP?

Post your comments and you may also want to try the mini-poll that I also included. Hehe. :D

jembengzon
08-06-2007, 10:07 AM
jervy cruz, hands down.* he's producing a monster season, and his team is winning

BigBlue
08-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Jervy Cruz, itaga mo sa bato. The guy's a monster. Who's the last UAAP player to average 16pts AND 16rebs per game? Heck, who was the last UAAP player to rebound that much?

mighty_lion
08-06-2007, 10:20 AM
Bakit wala si Ford Arao sa list?* ;D* Honestly, this just like a marathon with Jervy Cruz leading the way and the runner-up* miles away.

flsfnoeraekadad
08-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Bakit wala si Ford Arao sa list? ;D Honestly, this just like a marathon with Jervy Cruz leading the way and the runner-up miles away.
Added Ford Arao. ;D

Sam Miguel
08-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Going by the last couple of seasons the player who puts up the best stat line usually wins the MVP, regardless of how his team did, a notable exception being Arwind Santos of FEU. If that trend holds Jervy Cruz is definitely it.

But if we go by how valuable a certain player is to his team, i.e. he has stepped up when he was most needed by his team, then that would have to be JV Casio. Lasalle is at 5-2 and Casio has played BIG in ALL those games. He leads a talented Lasalle team in scoring usually coming off the bench. He is now above-average to superior in every meaningful aspect of play. He is, quite simply, the best guard in the UAAP now and arguably among its Top 3 players.

One thing I am not too keen on with all this talk of an MVP though is something akin to what Charley Rosen of MSN often says: How exactly does one measure the value of a player? Is Mark Borboran of UE for instance no longer an MVP-calibre player because he's only averaging a little over eight points and six boards per game? If so does that mean that if he were available to be recruited that no school would ever get him? Yet UE is on top at 7-0 thanks directly and indirectly to him. How about scoring leader Patrick Cabahug? His Falcons are 1-6 although he is averaging something like 26 points per game. Does this make him less valuable as a player?

mighty_lion
08-07-2007, 08:24 PM
Sa ganang akin, MVP title doesnt really have to be the best player on the best team, the guy who holds the scoring title, the guy who does it all to win (pts, rbs, asst, blks), the clutch of all clutch nor the guy with the best stats among all. We can argue it out on different sides but all in all it will either be on the perspective of a realist or from that of a humanist. Realist focus on the aspects that have to do with getting things done which is to win. Humanist on the other hand are primarily concerned about the people aspects - for example, making sure everybody understands the game plan, develops in long-term and be able to work together. For me the it should be taken in between of a realist and humanist perspective and MVP title should be on the player that makes the most out of his teammates and team overall. And having said that:

Japs Cuan for MVP!* *;D

john_paul_manahan
08-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Cabahug: Offensive Player of the Year

Jervy = MVP....

Coolmanny
08-07-2007, 11:42 PM
correct me if i'm wrong but Bono won last year's MVP mainly on stats right?

Joescoundrel
08-08-2007, 09:14 AM
correct me if i'm wrong but Bono won last year's MVP mainly on stats right?

That's right Cool, as did James Yap in 2003 (or was it 2004?), Rich Alvarez the two times he won it, ditto Arwind Santos although in fairness those were FEU title years, to name just the most recent ones that come to my mind. Again in fairness, Ken Bono's Falcons made the Final 4 for the first time when he was named MVP last season, and he dumped 33 on a supposedly tough Ateneo D in theie Final 4 match up, unlike Cabahug's Falcons now.

Joescoundrel
08-09-2007, 03:15 PM
Sa ganang akin, MVP title doesnt really have to be the best player on the best team, the guy who holds the scoring title, the guy who does it all to win (pts, rbs, asst, blks), the clutch of all clutch nor the guy with the best stats among all. We can argue it out on different sides but all in all it will either be on the perspective of a realist or from that of a humanist. Realist focus on the aspects that have to do with getting things done which is to win. Humanist on the other hand are primarily concerned about the people aspects - for example, making sure everybody understands the game plan, develops in long-term and be able to work together. For me the it should be taken in between of a realist and humanist perspective and MVP title should be on the player that makes the most out of his teammates and team overall. And having said that:

Japs Cuan for MVP!* *;D

I agree. He should also be named belatedly as last season's MVP as well. Without his playmaking and smarts UST would be a sub-.500 team. He still can't make a jumpshot but who needs it if you're fast enough and strong enough to get layups at will?

Dark Knight
08-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Ford Arao.....is a joke. ;D Peace. ;D

batangueño
08-09-2007, 08:51 PM
It is a surprise that no one in this year's team standings leader, the UE Red Warriors, is a shoo-in for the MVP plum of Season 70. :o

mighty_lion
08-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Ford Arao.....is a joke.* ;D Peace.* ;D

Malayo pa ang end of eliminations. Who knows. Ford just need to adjust. Nabasa nung mga huling teams yong unang mga laro nya. I still believe. Hindi man sya maging MVP as long as kasama sya sa top 5 MVP contenders magiging masaya na ako. ;D

Go! Go! Gadget Ford!

mighty_lion
08-09-2007, 10:00 PM

Japs Cuan for MVP!* *;D

I agree. He should also be named belatedly as last season's MVP as well. Without his playmaking and smarts UST would be a sub-.500 team. He still can't make a jumpshot but who needs it if you're fast enough and strong enough to get layups at will?

Just to add how valuable Japs on this team. Take out Jervy Cruz or Jojo Duncil and UST Team is still a contender. Take out Japs, I just can picture out what will happen next. Thats my MVP (ala Steve Nash).

batangueño
08-09-2007, 10:06 PM
Just to add how valuable Japs on this team. Take out Jervy Cruz or Jojo Duncil and UST Team is still a contender. Take out Japs, I just can picture out what will happen next. Thats my MVP (ala Steve Nash).

you still have their "super 4's"- Allera, Ababou, Canlas, Mirza and Espiritu- in the line-up. ;D

bchoter
09-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Will it be back-to-back pivotman MVP?

When will they announce the winners of the various awards?

gameface_one
09-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Cruz way ahead in race for MVP plum

The Philippine Star

Despite his failure to help steer UST to its title-retention bid, Jervy Cruz can look forward to a successful UAAP season with a victory in the MVP derby.

Cruz, a vital cog in the Tigers’ improbable title conquest last season, leads all comers in the MVP race after garnering 75.86 overall statistical points, which comprises 50 percent of the criteria used by the league in selecting the league’s top player.

The power-playing 21-year-old Cruz averaged a league best 15.4 rebounds, 16.7 points (No. 3), 1.4 shot blocks (No. 4), and a steal and an assist to power the España-based squad to the Final Four.

However, the Ateneo Eagles booted out the Tigers in a knockout game last week.

At distant second is Adamson’s Patrick Cabahug, the league’s scoring leader with a per match norm of 21.3 points for 62.57 overall statistical points while National U’s Edwin Asoro is in third with a 60.79.

La Salle ’s JV Casio and Rico Maeirhofer, the MVP of the Nike Summer League and Fil-Oil pre-season tournaments, are in fourth and fifth places with 55.79 and 53.43 points, respectively.

Rounding up the top 10 are Ateneo’s Ford Arao (51.93), University of the East’s Mark Borboran (51.21), Far Eastern U’s Mark Barcael (50.21), Ateneo’s Chris Tiu (49.14) and La Salle’s TY Tang (48.93).

However, to clinch the MVP plum, Cruz must also earn the nods of the media and players groups, which comprise the other half of selection process. Joey Villar

hisbenz
09-27-2007, 09:40 AM
No qualms about jervy. he might even get the mvp award next season

mighty_lion
09-27-2007, 09:46 AM
Jervy Cruz, Hands Down!

Dark Knight
09-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Since most of you are gunning for Jervy, I'll go for Tiu. ;D

He really lifted the Eagles many times and is the epitome of a good sportsman.

gameface_one
10-06-2007, 08:12 AM
Cruz becomes first Tiger MVP in 12 yrs
By Joey Villar
Saturday, October 6, 2007
philstar.com

Jervy Cruz, who helped power University of Santo Tomas to its first UAAP crown in a decade last season, bagged this year’s MVP plum to become the first Tiger to win the coveted crown in 12 years.

The 21-year-old Cruz, who has blossomed into one of the league’s most formidable post-players and a vital cog in the RP team competing in this year’s SEA Games, will be named the Season 70 MVP in simple rites in Game 2 of the ongoing UAAP final between La Salle and University of the East.

“I’m happy,” the soft-spoken 6-foot-4 Cruz, a third year commerce student and a native of Nanticuan, Nueva Ecija, yesterday told The STAR in Filipino.

“But I would have been happier though had we won the title again,” added Cruz.

After a near improbable title run last year, the Tigers fell short of their bid this time, bowing to Ateneo in a Final Four showdown for the right to face La Salle for the No. 2 spot.

The last Tiger to win the MVP honors was Chris Cantonjos in 1995.

Cruz averaged 16.7 points to finish behind Adamson Falcon Patrick Cabahug’s 21.3 and National U Bulldog Edwin Asoro’s 17.6 while recording the league best 15.4 rebounds in spearheading the Tigers to the Final Four for the second year in a row.

Cruz, a first round pick by the Lina Group of Companies in the recent PBL rookie draft, said he hopes to win the gold medal next in the Southeast Asian Games.

“I hope we’ll win the gold,” Cruz said.

Cruz was way ahead in statistics with overall statistical points of 75.86, which comprised half of the criteria used in selecting the MVP.

Cruz also earned the nods of his co-players and the media to seal the highest individual plum.

Comprising the First Mythical squad are Cruz, La Salle’s Rico Maeirhofer and JV Casio, Ateneo’s Chris Tiu and University of the East’s Mark Borboran.

Tiu and Borboran reportedly eased out Cabahug and National U’s Edwin Asoro, who were coming in second and third places, respectively, in statistics, through player and media votes.

batangueño
10-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Congratulations to Jervy Cruz for bagging this year's Most Valuable Player award. :)

Kudos too to the other members of this year's Mythical Five: JV Casio (De La Salle Green Archers), Chris Tiu (Ateneo Blue Eagles), Mark Borboran (UE Red Warriors) and Rico Maierhofer (De La Salle Green Archers).

tigerman
10-06-2007, 08:47 PM
Congrats Jervy! ;D
One for UST!

As regards the mythical five selection, no offense meant for the Maierhofer fans here but I thought at least 3 players were more deserving than him. His best friend Ford Arao, his teammate Ty T@ng and King Bulldog Edwin Asoro. Rico was kinda inconsistent and while I must admit that Tiu was not a picture of consistency too, I guess he got the nod for his killler baskets vs. DLSU.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

gameface_one
10-08-2007, 07:37 AM
Centers stand tall as MVPs in Season 70

Monday, October 8, 2007
philstar.com

Centers dominated this year’s UAAP with Jervy Cruz of UST leading the MVP winners in Season 70 of the country’s varsity league.

Cruz, a vital cog in the Tigers’ improbable title conquest last year, took the top honors in the men’s category with a solid performance in the elims up to the Final Four, while Ateneo’s Cassy Tioseco and UPIS’ Tata Marata copped the coveted crowns in the women’s and juniors divisions.

Cruz also lead the Mythical selection that includes La Salle’s Rico Maeirhofer and JV Casio, University of the East’s Mark Borboran and Ateneo’s Chris Tiu during yesterday’s awards rites.

Tioseco, member of the national squad seeing action in the 24th Southeast Asian Games this December in Thailand, led the elite first group in the distaff side, including UP’s Sai Sadorra, La Salle’s Bernardin Yamamoto, UST’s Marichu Bacaro and UE’s Cindy Resultay.

While Cruz and Tioseco were shoo-ins for the awards, Marata’s feat was not.

Marata, a nephew of former pros Ric Ric and Bong Marata, pulled the rug from under the rest of the pack to snatch the highest individual plum despite not being named to the Mythical squad.

It was composed of La Salle’s David Webb, Ateneo’s Juami Tiongson and Jayvee Dumrique and National U’s Kevin Batac and Jovet Mendoza. – Joey Villar

bchoter
10-08-2007, 11:21 AM
An MVP that is not part of the Mythical 5? That could be a first.

mighty_lion
10-08-2007, 11:27 AM

Pa-Guiness Book of World Records natin. Only in the Philippines ika nga nila. ;D

LION
10-08-2007, 11:35 AM

Sixth man nila ang MVP. ;D ;D ;D

broomhilda
10-11-2007, 05:25 PM
While Cruz and Tioseco were shoo-ins for the awards, Marata’s feat was not.

Marata, a nephew of former pros Ric Ric and Bong Marata, pulled the rug from under the rest of the pack to snatch the highest individual plum despite not being named to the Mythical squad.

It was composed of La Salle’s David Webb, Ateneo’s Juami Tiongson and Jayvee Dumrique and National U’s Kevin Batac and Jovet Mendoza. – Joey Villar

How does someone not part of the mythical 5 become MVP?