PDA

View Full Version : the KING archer

ewe_rach
08-05-2007, 07:05 PM
who would carry on the cudgels for the dlsu green archers up to the very end?
give me your best guess better yet, your best analysis on your KING archer.

flsfnoeraekadad
08-05-2007, 07:07 PM
I think we shouldn't have a King Archer. Mahirap kasi baka the expectations and hype will be too much to bear for him. The team works hard for games and I think they should be all given credit for it. And it brings hype.

La Salle Basketball has been always anchored on a team game. Let's keep it at that. Mas masarap manood ng basketball kung lahat gumagawa.

ewe_rach
08-05-2007, 09:04 PM
come on now, just this once.. ;)

BigBlue
08-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Franz Pumaren?

flsfnoeraekadad
08-05-2007, 09:35 PM
Franz Pumaren?
Booooooooooooooo.

BigBlue
08-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Franz Pumaren?
Booooooooooooooo.

haha. bakit naman boo?

i mean you guys always say (and most of the time, i tend to agree) that it's really the system that makes DLSU tick. and Franz is the architect of that system. so why not?

flsfnoeraekadad
08-05-2007, 09:46 PM
Franz Pumaren?
Booooooooooooooo.

haha. bakit naman boo?

i mean you guys always say (and most of the time, i tend to agree) that it's really the system that makes DLSU tick. and Franz is the architect of that system. so why not?

Haha wala lang akong maisip na matinong reply. Light mode lang, pare.

nel
08-05-2007, 10:03 PM
The success of the Green Archers has always been based on the team game. No single Archer will win the game for us. If you want to name a King Archer, name all the players on the team. The UAAP championship is a team trophy, not an individual award.

Remember, there's no "I" in team. And it's never been a La Sallian practice to glorify one player over all others. Each player has his role on the team, and they all contribute to the team's success.

This question has been asked before in other fora, and you're getting the same answer - everyone on the team is the King Archer.

Sam Miguel
08-06-2007, 10:43 AM
This season it would have to be JV Casio.

He is carrying over his outstanding play from the preseason tournaments into this UAAP season. Casio has completed his transformation from smallish shooter to the complete package as a legit UAAP superstar. His shot is still as deadly as ever. But it is the other aspects of his game - handles, motor, defense, intensity, strength - that have been elevated to All Star level that has made him the best player in a talented Lasalle team.

shyboy
08-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Though many have insisted there has never been a King Archer, and that La Salle has always played it as a team, I still think there should always be someone who would be the catalyst for the Archers either on offense or in defense. It's that somebody who can force himself and score points in a jiffy when needed. Whether we like it or not, RenRen was definitely King Archer during his time. Then came Mike Cortez. MacMac was a demon both on offense and defense. Without him forcing turnovers and giving us points when we're down, I don't know how far we'll go in 2004. It was Yeo in 2005.

This year, it's been JV Casio providing the points when needed.

Ang Senador
08-06-2007, 07:37 PM
There is no doubt that JV Casio is the "King Archer" this year. This kid is the one who "rescues" La Salle at the most crucial of times.

ewe_rach
08-06-2007, 11:27 PM
nel and fls...

this is not to put up a "hype" on the archers. i just want you to share your view/s. im well aware that it is team effort that puts them on top but as shyboy said, there is still that someone who has that "nerve of steel" or "hothands" or whatever you call 'em that keeps the archers upfloat.
i wont start this topic to hype anyone but to at least give the most sincere aprreciation of a true "king" archer.

nel
08-07-2007, 08:36 AM
The problem with hyping one player over all others is that you can create an impression that all Archers are not equal, that there are some who are more important and therefore deserving of more attention and praise than others. Our players are human, and if any of them get to feel inferior or resentful, come crunch time they may make the wrong decision because of their feelings.

This team is composed of players who know what their roles are. Some will effectively be practice players this year, some will get minutes only during garbage time, etc, but they act their roles accordingly because it's what the team needs. When you start aggrandizing the exploits of one player over the accomplishments of the team, you can create a "superstar" mentality that will affect the team. Look at the LA Lakers, which is effectively Kobe plus whatever other 4 players they choose to put on the floor. In our site, one of our pundits has called Adamson a "Kobe-hug" team in view of fact that one player (Cabahug) seems to be dominating the team. That's the last thing we want, for any of our players to feel that they, or some other teammate, is more important or more equal than others. Our team isn't built around any one player, it's built around a system.

The Archers are a team with no superstars. All our players are good, and all are deserving of being on the team. All have helped the Archers get to where they are, no one more than any of the others. Let's leave it at that, shall we?

flsfnoeraekadad
08-07-2007, 07:43 PM
The Archers are a team with no superstars. All our players are good, and all are deserving of being on the team. All have helped the Archers get to where they are, no one more than any of the others. Let's leave it at that, shall we?AMEN, Sir Nel.

ewe_rach
08-07-2007, 08:07 PM
ok i surrender. i'll leave you with your opinion, i wont take that away from you.

flsfnoeraekadad
08-07-2007, 08:52 PM
ok i surrender. i'll leave you with your opinion, i wont take that away from you.

Salamat, ewe_rach. ;D

Tommy Vercetti
08-07-2007, 11:53 PM
hi! first post in gameface here. :)

i believe that the current Archer line-up is one wherein there is really no superstar. perhaps, what we can see there are role players who know when to step up when their services are needed. ;)

all hail Vice City. ;D

boy2hog
08-08-2007, 08:01 AM
nel and fls...

this is not to put up a "hype" on the archers. i just want you to share your view/s. im well aware that it is team effort that puts them on top but as shyboy said, there is still that someone who has that "nerve of steel" or "hothands" or whatever you call 'em that keeps the archers upfloat.
i wont start this topic to hype anyone but to at least give the most sincere aprreciation of a true "king" archer.

Or we can also call him The Ultimate Archer!

oca
08-08-2007, 10:05 AM
O, cige wala kayong king o superstar.

Pero tuwing may laro kayo na dikit, sa endgame, bakit niyo hinahanap o hinihintay kung ano ang gagawin ni Casio? Hindi ba pigil na pigil ang hininga niyo sa pananabik pag si Casio na ang may hawak ng bola?

Casio's demeanor oncourt may not fit the typical definition of a king or star, pero bakit yung gagawin niya ang inaabangan niyo? Siya ang hinahanap niyo?

Terminology lang yan...king, star, ultimate... Bottomline is, he is that player you would want to have the ball when it matters most.

Huwag niyong sabihin wala kayong ganyan. At never kayo nawalan ng ganyan.

LION
08-08-2007, 10:33 AM
^ Alam ko ang sagot diyan. Yun ang "role" ni Casio. Kaya role player pa rin. :)

Whether our friends from DLSU will admit it or not, there will always be a standout, a go to guy in a team and alll teams have a team leader, whether designated or not (the natural leaders).

But of course, we understand that they don't want to dwell on it or give it too much importance for good reasons, and I respect that.

nel
08-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Of course we have players who may be asked to take the shot because they may be better shooters than the others, and there are plays designed for that purpose. But someone's got to set up the play, someone has to set the picks and screens, someone may have to play the decoy, and someone has to get the ball to the designated shooter. In the Archers' scheme of things, it's a 5-man game where each player knows what he has to do during the execution of a play. Hindi 1-on-5 ang play, where we just give it to the shooter ala Michael Jordan and expect him to make it while the others stand and watch.

That's why we don't want to give any Archer top billing over his teammates. Everyone contributes to the success of the play. The team rehearses the play, and the other teammates act as defenders during practice. Ty usually takes care of the distribution, Kish, Rico, Bryan usually set the picks, Cholo and James usually make the cuts just in case the opportunity suddenly presents itself, and the designated shooter should get a clear look if it all works according to plan. A successful shot by Casio requires help from all his teammates, but most people only see the shooter, and think that he's the man. They forget that everyone helps make it happen.

Archer ball requires a total team effort and commitment. It's never been about just one player. That's why we don't name a King Archer. To us, they're all King Archers.

nash_bedista
08-08-2007, 10:35 AM
Casio for me, Big time shot, walang daga sa dibdib ;)

may 1 year pa si Jv sa Lasalle?

GHRanger
08-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Yes, JVee has 1 more year after this.

ewe_rach
08-08-2007, 06:51 PM

Salamat, ewe_rach. ;D

napagnilay-nilayan ko narin ito. ;)

Howard the Duck
08-08-2007, 09:20 PM
noong una akala ko si rico

ngayon si franz na.

atenean_blooded
08-09-2007, 12:08 AM
Casio.

bigfreeze_bibby
08-09-2007, 09:18 AM
Let's see if JV can live up to the billing come this second round. We all knew what he did back in the first round but as evident in the NU game, the box and 1 strategy was able to neutralize JV at some point so I take a look this 2nd round starting this Saturday as to who will step up in crunch time assuming that JV is shackled by his defender.

batangueño
08-09-2007, 02:59 PM
JV Casio is already a marked man come second round. Yes, he is indeed the one whom many can consider as this year's "King Archer" and he can step up his role should the need for it arises. However, the Archers must realize that basketball is a team sport and that "King Archer" Casio should not be the only one working for La Salle.

flsfnoeraekadad
08-09-2007, 06:04 PM
The team must all step up to make it easier for Casio to operate.

mighty_lion
08-09-2007, 06:18 PM
The most reliable calculator brand in town. Casio. ;D

batangueño
08-09-2007, 08:32 PM
The most reliable calculator brand in town. Casio. ;D

Exactly. ;D

Seriously, someone among the Archers should really step up should JV get into some sort of trouble. Bader Malabes is slowly having the outside shooting touch but it still needs polishing. Rico already has the outside touch but being a power forward, his role should be more inside while JV or Bader (or maybe TY but he should just do the point IMHO) takes care of the outside.

GHRanger
08-10-2007, 10:02 AM
^ IMHO, Bader needs to improve on his shot selection.* Malakas ang loob niya pero dapat calculado (forgive the pun) yung tira niya.* Si Rico ngayon medyo gigil, he's given up a lot of useless fouls lately.

The team must all step up to make it easier for Casio to operate.

Other than TY, magiging surprise package sina James at PJ Barua pag nag step up sila.

batangueño
08-10-2007, 06:24 PM
I agree with you, GHRanger. Si Bader, kaya nang tumira sa labas pero kulang pa talaga when it comes to shot selection. Hindi dapat basta-basta yung pagtira niya sa labas dahil masyado lang siyang bilib sa swerte. para kasing tsamba lang yung ibang tira niya sa labas na pumapasok kaya "lumakas ang loob" niya. Bader really needs to be developed as JV's reliever.

As for Rico, napansin ko nga yan. He might not need some training in anger management. ;D