PDA

View Full Version : Combined UAAP-NCAA league without a La Salle

chocoks77
08-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Is it possible or can someone just merge the two leagues without a La Salle in it? In the UAAP, DLSU is hell bent on giving shame to the league. After forfeiting all of their games including the championship in UAAP 68, being suspended in UAAP 69(UAAP flourished in 69) and the protest and mockery of ADMU's win and Commissioner's decision, DLSU seems to degrade the league with its view on sportsmanship. Meanwhile, over at the NCAA, De La Salle College of St. Benilde point guard Paolo Orbeta was caught red handed in game-fixing.

So I bat for a combined collegiate league without any La Salle for that matter.

Joescoundrel
08-03-2007, 10:34 AM
But my dear Chocoks what would life be like without Lasalle?

Wouldn't life be oh so boring?

chocoks77
08-03-2007, 11:34 AM
Sabagay, pero would not they be hurting the word SPORTSMANSHIP? Win at all costs is being taken into all levels. Hahahahaha.

Jeep
08-03-2007, 12:00 PM
precisely the thoughts i've had since after the filing of that infamous protest.

however, it just occurred to me that all these recent events have had precedents in the distant past. the older habitues of our forums might seek to clarify this, but i think one of the reasons why the ateneo left the NCAA was due to the rising incidence of hooliganism in that league, and i believe it was DLSU (then DLSC) or at least the predecessors of today's gangrene that was more often than not one of the leading instigators of such hooliganism. when the ateneo had moved to the UAAP, i was still in the AGS then (tama ba, jem?), but there seemed to be a collective sigh of relief on campus back then. the NCAA was still the more glamorous league then, but i think, collectively, we ateneans felt we could make a new start in the UAAP, with universities that aimed to give their best on the court and the field, and accept the game's outcome -- win or lose.

and now they are here, again, after a year's suspension, which apparently has taught them very little about sportsmanship -- accepting a loss fair and square, and moving on to the next game. so again, i ask, is there some way they can be expelled from the league? we did pretty well without them last year, wouldn't you think? in fact, maybe it's just me, but aren't there less commercial sponsors this year than last year? so if it's the economics that many are concerned about, season 69 was the best answer to that.

Sam Miguel
08-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Let us remember that it is not the easiest of things to remove a member of the UAAP who has - whether we like it or not - still been an integral part of the current success of the league. Say what you will about Lasalle but at the end of the day every one, and I do mean EVERY ONE, loves a winner. High school and college girls who are not even from Lasalle went ga-ga over former King Archers Renren Ritualo, Mike Cortez, Mac Cardona and Joseph Yeo citing only those of recent vintage. Popularity sells and sells a lot folks. A league without Lasalle is a league with one less major source of revenue.

Asking for their removal on the basis simply of this last protest - which if I may remind one and all is their explicit RIGHT to do so - is ludicrous, a kneejerk and highly partisan reaction to the free exercise of some one's vested right. The UAAP is now a major business entity, and every decision is considered from a business standpoint even more than from a sports standpoint. Dumping Lasalle does not make much business sense.

And let's face it: among all of the schools that make up the UAAP, who among them is so blameless that they may cast the proverbial first stone? As much as I am an Ateneo diehard I do not for one Manila minute believe EVERY THING Ateneo has ever done has been above-board and would stand the scrutiny of Heaven we always seem to demand from the people over at Taft Avenue and everywhere else for that matter.

I've been around Ateneo basketball a long time, and I've been around basketball in general even longer. If every league were to clamp down and expel every team that ever committed an infraction there would be no organized basketball to speak of.

UE has a recent history of scandal with Bonbon Custodio, ditto FEU with RJ Gerilla now, and yet I hear nothing from the Ateneo about removing those two schools from the UAAP. My father personally knew a lot of the legendary UE players from his days as a Finance major at the Recto campus and he has horror stories galore of how these supposed legends would throw games, place bets and consort with all sorts of lowlifes, and this was not unique to UE. I don't hear any cries of outrage asking for UE heads to roll.

Dark Knight
08-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Good idea but less profit for the league. We all know what DLSU can bring to he tournament.

Fans
Controversies
Sponsors
Controversies
Excitement
Controversies
Great Players
Controversies

;D

i-point
08-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Tama nga't umalis ang Ateneo sa UAAP dahil sa rambulang madalas mangyari habang at pagkatapos ng laro. Pero noong mga panahon na yan, ang may matinding reputasyon sa awayan ay ang Letran, hindi La Salle. Isa pa, San Beda ang kalaban natin nun (grabe talaga ang mga upakan pagkatapos ng Game 2 sa labas mismo ng Araneta, kaya ginawang closed-door na lang yung championship game) bago mag-desisyong umalis na nga sa NC.

Isang torneong wala ang La Salle? Asa ka pa.

toti_mendiola
08-03-2007, 01:11 PM
IMHO, what makes FPJ movies fun to watch are the likes of Paquito Diaz,Bobby Zhornack, Rene Hawkins et.al and the same goes with the collegiate leagues. ;D

Dark Knight
08-03-2007, 01:20 PM
IMHO, what makes FPJ movies fun to watch are the likes of Paquito Diaz,Bobby Zhornack, Rene Hawkins et.al and the same goes with the collegiate leagues. ;D

You mean La Salle ang kontrabida? ;D

toti_mendiola
08-03-2007, 01:31 PM
ahhhhh. Kontrabida pala ang tawag sa mga katulad nila. Kala ko gang! ;D

pio_valenz
08-03-2007, 02:13 PM
To be honest I'd rather be in a league with La Salle than with a school like PCU: overaged na nga, maling identity pa.

gameface_one
08-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Sorry friends but I have to lock this up. The Gen Discussions forum should not be perceived to be partisan and should likewise not be used to attract dissension and animosity among its members. This will trigger a lot of bashing from all sides.

Thanks.