PDA

View Full Version : St. Benilde player arrested for alleged game-fixing in NCAA

admu_addict
08-02-2007, 08:33 PM
http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/storypage.aspx?StoryId=86896

Agents of the National Bureau of Investigation arrested four people, including a varsity basketball player and a policeman, for allegedly forcing a college student to pay them P1 million in bet money, ABS-CBN News reported Thursday.

Nabbed Wednesday were Paolo Orbeta, a key player of the College of St. Benilde basketball team in the National Collegiate Athletic Association, and Inspector Aron Ilago, a graduate of the Philippine National Police Public Safety College.

Also arrested were two St. Benilde students identified as James Mangaran and Rajan Chandumal.

The four were arrested by NBI agents for extorting money from Wilfred Uy, also a St. Benilde student.

Uy said that the suspects were forcing him to pay them P1 million for losing a bet. He said he promised to pay P1 million if Orbeta will score less than 11 points during St. Benilde's July 19 game.

Uy lost in the bet after Orbeta scored 11 points. Later, Ilago visited Uy at his home and threatened him if he fails to pay them the P1-million prize money.

The suspects were arrested following an entrapment.

Henry Atayde, St. Benilde's sports consultant, said the school will look into the arrest of its cager.

Atayde said there were rumors around the school that Orbeta has been arrested for "game fixing." Other rumors said that the case was only a simple bet between two students.

He assured that the school will conduct a deeper investigation into Orbeta's case. He said if suspension or expulsion from the varsity team awaits Orbeta if he is found violating guidelines of the NCAA.

Atayde added that the NCAA board will wait for the result of the school's invesgitation before acting on Orbeta's case.

jollibeeaddict
08-02-2007, 09:27 PM
Bonbon Custodio... JR Gerilla... Paolo Orbeta. sino naman kaya ang susunod? ::)

cl.blue.24
08-02-2007, 09:35 PM
Bonbon Custodio... JR Gerilla... Paolo Orbeta. sino naman kaya ang susunod? ::)

Any volunteers?

lekiboy
08-02-2007, 09:40 PM
patay na naman!!! malas yata talaga ang TAFT!

cl.blue.24
08-02-2007, 09:42 PM

It's called Karma. ::)

jollibeeaddict
08-02-2007, 09:49 PM
hep! hep! hep! pwede bang 'wag nang mag-away? please lang. this is the time when all of us have to come together in order to crack down on these criminals who are out to corrupt the country's collegiate and amateur leagues.

flsfnoeraekadad
08-02-2007, 10:15 PM

It's called Karma. ::)
Wala pa nga kaming ginagawa sa inyo eh. ::)

jollibeeaddict
08-03-2007, 12:41 AM
news report of Orbeta and company being arrested by NBI for alleged game-fixing.

http://www.gmanews.tv/video/9928/NCAA-cager-Orbeta-nabbed-for-point-shaving

danny
08-03-2007, 02:05 AM
Anak ng patola naman.. binababoy naman ng kung sino sino diyan ang college basketball.

gameface_one
08-03-2007, 09:05 AM
Warriors scalp Tams, near first round sweep

By ABAC CORDERO
The Philippine Star

The UE Warriors wasted no time to whip the FEU Tamaraws, 89-60, Thursday and move one win away from sweeping the first round of the 70th UAAP season.

The Warriors ignored the humidity inside the Ninoy Aquino Stadium due to a malfunctioning air-condition system as they race to an early lead and never looked back for an enviable 6-0 card.

Coach Dindo Pumaren’s charges went up, 24-12, after the first period, and took a 49-28 halftime lead. In the third, UE was way ahead, 65-39, and enjoyed its biggest lead at 76-44.

“I’m very happy,” said Pumaren, so close to UE’s first sweep of the first round since 1986 when a team led by Jerry Codiñera went 7-0 only to lose to the Benjie Paras-led UP Maroons.

“We haven’t talked about Adamson,” added Pumaren of Sunday’s game against the Falcons. “There’s still one more game. And who knows? We have yet to discuss the game against Adamson.

The Tamaraws came off a big win over the Ateneo Blue Eagles, but failed to carry the momentum against the Warriors who shot 50 percent from three-point area for the second straight game (12-of-24).

In another lopsided game, Adamson crushed UP, 95-76, for its first taste of victory this season. At 1-5, the Falcons can now look down at the Maroons, still winless in six games.

Kid Cubao
08-03-2007, 10:30 AM
paolo orbeta could use a giant book of crossword and sudoku puzzles as well as a chess set. if convicted, he'll be away for quite a spell.

admu_addict
08-03-2007, 10:59 AM
paolo orbeta could use a giant book of crossword and sudoku puzzles as well as a chess set. if convicted, he'll be away for quite a spell.

i could lend him some of mine :P

Joescoundrel
08-03-2007, 10:59 AM

I think if its a felony conviction under these circumstances he could be facing 12 years and 1 day at the very least.

GHRanger
08-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Sayang talaga... I'm sure marami pa yan. Not just from CSB or NCAA.

I hope Paolo fesses at some point. Names, contacts... Para mabawasan ang NC at UA ng mga taong ganito... and for Paolo's sake as well.

At sana di nanaman half baked yung investigation ng NBI.

Dark Knight
08-03-2007, 01:08 PM
My Mythical Five

Paolo Orbeta - Point Guard
Mike Cortez - Point Guard
Alfred Gerilla - Center
Bonbon Custodio - Shooting Forwrd
?

Now, we need a Power Forward who are willing to earn lots of money. ;D

Wang-Bu
08-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Hindi ba nadamay sa ganyan si Willy Wilson? Ayan, pwede ng power forward 'yon kung pang-UAAP lang.

joelex
08-05-2007, 02:42 AM
nabanggit nga si howard flor sa mga thread dito na isa rin sa mga laglag diba? haha.

sama na din si papa james yap. napaalala sa akin kamakailan lamang ng isang kakampi ni yap sa UE na pagkatapos ng ilang mga larong talo ang UE at hindi karaniwang laro ang ipinakita ni yap, puro instik ang kausap sa cellphone. sino nga ba ulit ang backer ng UE warriors dati? UE vs AdMU semis game 1 2002.. ;)

gameface_one
08-09-2007, 10:14 PM
Charge sheet in Orbeta case available – NBI

By RIZAL S. OBANIL
mb.com.ph

IT HAS become a waiting game as far as the ongoing probe on College of Saint Benilde player Paolo Orbeta’s case is concerned.

National Bureau of Investigation-Anti-Fraud and Computer Crimes Division (NBI-AFCCD) Chief, Assistant Regional Director (ARD) Vicente De Guzman III, said that they are still waiting for a formal request from the CSB before they could provide a copy of the charge sheet to the said school.

"We still need a formal request from them of course... otherwise we can’t just volunteer our documents," De Guzman said in a phone interview.

CSB school officials who plan to conduct an inquiry on allegations that Orbeta offered to shave his points production in an NCAA game, said they could not do so because they still don’t have a copy of the charge sheet.

Henry Atayde, the board representative of CSB to the NCAA Management Committee, said that they couldn’t start the probe on something they know nothing about.

De Guzman, on the other hand, assured that they will conduct further investigation even as he held out on the latest developments in the case.

He said the NBI has not received any formal request from the NCAA to conduct any investigation on the supposed illegal gambling activities in the league.

De Guzman said that they have already consulted the NBI legal department regarding the downgrading of a robbery with threat and intimidation case they filed against Orbeta. The case was downgraded to light threats, paving the way for Orbeta and his companions to post a R2,000 bail.

However, De Guzman said that they will continue with the investigation since the Manila City Prosecutor’s Office ruled that Orbeta and his three co-accused be released for further investigation regarding the case for violation of P.D. 1602 or Illegal Gambling.

De Guzman said that because of this development, they will collect more evidence to support the case which they earlier filed.

Orbeta, a star player for St. Benilde, was nabbed during an entrapment set by the NBA last week following a complaint from businessman Wilfred Yu who claimed his life was threatened after a botched game-fixing deal.

Orbeta, 24, a fourth year hotel and restaurant management student, denied the accusations during a meeting with school officials last Tuesday.

irateluvmachine
08-10-2007, 01:42 PM
nabanggit nga si howard flor sa mga thread dito na isa rin sa mga laglag diba? haha.

sama na din si papa james yap. napaalala sa akin kamakailan lamang ng isang kakampi ni yap sa UE na pagkatapos ng ilang mga larong talo ang UE at hindi karaniwang laro ang ipinakita ni yap, puro instik ang kausap sa cellphone. sino nga ba ulit ang backer ng UE warriors dati?* UE vs AdMU semis game 1 2002.. ;)

OT...nasangkot din pala si howard floor sa game-fixing? i always thought NU dropped him because he's already 25 as of the start of the UAAP season...

back to orbeta...so that might explain his underachieving numbers in 2005 and the few games he played in '07. this is indeed a black eye on the face of la sallian basketball... >:(

pablohoney
08-14-2007, 09:38 AM
Orbeta certainly made people from Guadalupe look bad. ;D
What's happening to the collegiate leagues? Sa NCAA si Orbeta. Sa UAAP, of course in recent memory anjan yung kay Bonbon Custodio ng UE. Tapos sa FEU si Gerilla. Meron pa bang iba? Sana ay wala na.

Bakit hindi maisip ng players na masisira sila sa ginagawa nilang pagbebenta ng laro? Huwag sanang pabulag sa easy-money. May karma di ba? Baka yan na ang mga karma nila?

Dark Knight
08-14-2007, 09:52 AM

sama na din si papa james yap. napaalala sa akin kamakailan lamang ng isang kakampi ni yap sa UE na pagkatapos ng ilang mga larong talo ang UE at hindi karaniwang laro ang ipinakita ni yap, puro instik ang kausap sa cellphone. sino nga ba ulit ang backer ng UE warriors dati?* UE vs AdMU semis game 1 2002.. ;)

OT...nasangkot din pala si howard floor sa game-fixing?

I dont see any logic why someone would want Howard Flor to fix games. I mean, he's not a scorer and NU is always beatable. Kung si Fernandez or Asoro pa ang mag ge game fix, makatotohanan pa. ;D

oca
08-14-2007, 10:03 AM

OT...nasangkot din pala si howard floor sa game-fixing?*

I dont see any logic why someone would want Howard Flor to fix games. I mean, he's not a scorer and NU is always beatable. Kung si Fernandez or Asoro pa ang mag ge game fix, makatotohanan pa.* ;D

Hindi sa namimintang tayo at hindi ito tungkol sa sino mang player, pero ang pustahan ngayon ay di basta kung sino mananalo. May POINT SPREAD na pinag-uusapan. If a player gets so much playing time he can be a tool to influence point spreads.

irateluvmachine
08-14-2007, 10:15 AM
^OT ulit...langya, siguro sobrang excited ako pumasok sa work, nadagdagan ko ng extra "o" ang pangalan ni howard flor... :D

anyways, i agree with the above post...even a roleplayer...or a benchwarmer for that matter can play a part in game-fixing. in the philippines, especially in the US NCAA, betting on point spreads, if i'm not mistaken, is more common. an example of a top US NCAA player who got into hot water for point-shaving was john "hot rod" williams, former cleveland cavs forward/center. fortunately, the charges were dropped and he went on to enjoy a productive NBA career.

davrub2003
08-16-2007, 11:54 AM
What's happening to the collegiate leagues? Sa NCAA si Orbeta. Sa UAAP, of course in recent memory anjan yung kay Bonbon Custodio ng UE. Tapos sa FEU si Gerilla. Meron pa bang iba? Sana ay wala na.

Bakit hindi maisip ng players na masisira sila sa ginagawa nilang pagbebenta ng laro? Huwag sanang pabulag sa easy-money. May karma di ba? Baka yan na ang mga karma nila?

the serious charges, including game-fixing, against orbeta have been dropped.* the nbi is really a bunch of idiots.* you don't arrest and announce to the whole wide world that one is guilty as charged unless you really, really, really have substantial, uncontestable proof.* a few days later, everything was dropped and the only accusation remaining against orbeta is harrassment of a private individual.* in this forum, everybody harrasses everyone everyday, and nobody gets arrested. we're all happy here.

crazybedan
08-16-2007, 12:17 PM
parang story ng longest yard yan ah ung movie ni adam sandler...were he is accused of point shaving pero not really proven...so sa hule aamin sya and mg kaka winning streak ang csb* ;D sorry too late or-benta last yr mo na and and out na csb...i really admire his playing skills kaya medyo disappointed ako sayang ka kid :'( :-\

LION
08-16-2007, 02:08 PM

the serious charges, including game-fixing, against orbeta have been dropped.* the nbi is really a bunch of idiots.* you don't arrest and announce to the whole wide world that one is guilty as charged unless you really, really, really have substantial, uncontestable proof.* a few days later, everything was dropped and the only accusation remaining against orbeta is harrassment of a private individual.* in this forum, everybody harrasses everyone everyday, and nobody gets arrested. we're all happy here.

Told you so, from day one.* The NBI and PNP are really notorious* for making short cuts, opting to resort to sensationalized arrests* to give the impression that they are doing their jobs.* *

Of course,* Orbeta might not be exactly as white as snow or a lilly.* But then again, he should be presumed innocent more so now that the charges against him were dropped.*

Para matuto ang* NBI dapat kasuhan din sila for not doing their jobs well.*

oca
08-16-2007, 02:47 PM
Technically, maari ngang hindi game-fixing ang nangyari. But remember, this was an entrapment, willfully tumanggap ng pera ang bata.

After the media presentation, when Orbeta was asked a simple yet direct question about his involvement, sumagot ba naman ng, "I will talk to my lawyer...". That video footage was shown on TV same day.

Kung wala kang ginawang katarantaduhan, ano ba naman sabihin mong "Wala po akong kasalanan..." o "Wala po akong kinalaman..." o "Nataon lang po na dumaan po ako sa isang kakila kaya nandoon ako...".

Ngayon dalawa na silang walang credibilidad sa mata ng publico... pangalawa yung pinuno ng NBI section na may hawak ng kaso.

davrub2003
08-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Technically, maari ngang hindi game-fixing ang nangyari. But remember, this was an entrapment, willfully tumanggap ng pera ang bata.

After the media presentation, when Orbeta was asked a simple yet direct question about his involvement, sumagot ba naman ng, "I will talk to my lawyer...". That video footage was shown on TV same day.

Kung wala kang ginawang katarantaduhan, ano ba naman sabihin mong "Wala po akong kasalanan..." o "Wala po akong kinalaman..." o "Nataon lang po na dumaan po ako sa isang kakila kaya nandoon ako...".

Ngayon dalawa na silang walang credibilidad sa mata ng publico... pangalawa yung pinuno ng NBI section na may hawak ng kaso.

then why were the charges on game-fixing dropped?* normally ang entrapment operation like catching in the act of receiving marked money is whether the money is being paid for a specific purpose like in exchange for a favor (drugs, game-fixing, etc.).* an undercover agent, in this case an nbi agent or somebody else tapped by the nbi, is the one handing out the marked money to a guy like orbeta.* so nasaan na yung testimony na nakatanggap si orbeta ng pera?* bakit hindi binigyan ng prosecutor ng saysay ang evidence?

and normally, you don't incriminate yourself by just talking to the police or the media.* that's why they have to tell you your right to remain silent.* kasi even if you claim innocence, this can be used against you in a court of law.* that's why we have lawyers who do the talking and then confuse everybody, joke lang.

this is just for information for the benefit of everybody, not necessarily to argue.

PeterPaulMario
08-19-2007, 11:45 AM
I wonder what is Orbeta's explanation for receiving that amount of cash? I would grant there may be a "valid transaction" between him and the one from whom the cash came from. If it has no bearing to his being a basketball player, is it that difficult to make a public statement? Okay, subjudice. (Did I spell it right?) But isn't it unusual, no statement or story ( their/ Orbeta's version) has filtered out? If one is innocent, you will cry out to Heavens and declare you innocence. To friends or relatives. From there stories and or statements will filter out. But...

davrub2003
08-19-2007, 06:18 PM
I wonder what is Orbeta's explanation for receiving that amount of cash? I would grant there may be a "valid transaction" between him and the one from whom the cash came from. If it has no bearing to his being a basketball player, is it that difficult to make a public statement? Okay, subjudice. (Did I spell it right?) But isn't it unusual, no statement or story ( their/ Orbeta's version) has filtered out? If one is innocent, you will cry out to Heavens and declare you innocence. To friends or relatives. From there stories and or statements will filter out. But...

if orbeta makes a statement, that means he is giving up his right to remain silent. and if he does, it is not wise to give it to the media. he should give it to the police. but then, he will only talk to the police with his lawyer present. just think of the consequences that may happen after a police interogation and the suspect not properly represented. there are people who go to jail that are not guilty of a crime and this also happens in the usa much more in the phils.

if his case has nothing to do with ncaa basketball, that means it's a private matter between him and the other party and therefore there's no need to issue a public statement.

i think you should be more interested in the nbi's statement on why the prosecutor has dropped the charges rather than making orbeta say something that may incriminate himself.

and crying out to heaven's? just watch the news and you'd see drug addicts, murderers, burglars, forgers, terrorists, you name it. they all say they're innocent and do we believe them? doing this will not help their cases at all and may even aggravate them.

ochiong
08-19-2007, 09:38 PM
My Mythical Five

Paolo Orbeta - Point Guard
Mike Cortez - Point Guard
Alfred Gerilla - Center
Bonbon Custodio - Shooting Forwrd
?

Now, we need a Power Forward who are willing to earn lots of money. ;D

espinas???

bluetruck
08-24-2007, 08:03 PM
this is just the top of the iceberg. how about investigating the refs? if the syndicate can get to the players then i'm pretty sure that the refs are into it also.

magnum_motoki
08-28-2007, 05:45 AM
this is just the top of the iceberg.* *how about investigating the refs?* if the syndicate can get to the players then i'm pretty sure that the refs are into it also.

Maybe sir we could get in touch with CSB's MANCOM REP..Henry "Mr. Basketball 101" Atayde, to shed some light to these allegations maybe it's just a prank pulled off by WOW MALI... ;D ;D

LION
08-28-2007, 07:47 AM
Perhaps Henry Atayde has a new definition of game-fixing too.

mighty_lion
08-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Perhaps Henry Atayde has a new definition of game-fixing too.

Bagong brand ng Hair Gel for basketball players. ;D

christian
08-28-2007, 11:15 AM
Henry Atayde: "If you put on a basketball shoes and hold on to a basketball, you're playing."

To all those wants to play college basketball, just attend Mr. Atayde's Basketball Camp/Program, wherein his slogan says "Everybody is sure to play, just bring your basketball shoes and a basketball... even without dropping a single sweat!"

magnum_motoki
08-28-2007, 02:54 PM
I think CSB is on a streak.....

After 1 of its star players were caught on game-fixing allegations...Here comes "Mr. Basketball 101 Atayde" still smarting from the previous incident, compounded his school woes further......

Mr Henry Atayde, College of St Benilde's very own MANCOM representative "shocked and awed" us and the whole country on national TV no less, on how he practically put to shame himself and the school he proudly represents... Way to go sir. ::)

I suggest sir, you put your house first in order and not to mock the NCAA.

I guess you should've guested not on Hardball on ANC but on HARD-ON.... After all you got the hots for us..together with el presidente supan... :o ::)

bluetruck
08-28-2007, 02:58 PM
Henry Atayde: "If you put on a basketball shoes and hold on to a basketball, you're playing."

To all those wants to play college basketball, just attend Mr. Atayde's Basketball Camp/Program, wherein his slogan says "Everybody is sure to play, just bring your basketball shoes and a basketball... even without dropping a single sweat!"

henry atayde the SNAKE! INAHAS nila ang san beda para makalimutan ang csb / orbeta / lasalle brothers fiasco!

davrub2003
08-28-2007, 08:01 PM

henry atayde the SNAKE! INAHAS nila ang san beda para makalimutan ang csb / orbeta / lasalle brothers fiasco!

just to be clear about this, the orbeta case is now with the prosecutor's office after the nbi has recommended the filing of charges (but the prosecutor later dropped most of the charges leaving only one minor charge). whatever is happening in the ncaa now should not affect the orbeta case. the orbeta case will prosper if indeed there is against orbeta, with or without the aljamal suspension issue.

and also, mr atayde is being quoted out of context. this kind of posts is not helping at anyone at all especially those who are more interested in truth and fairness.

toti_mendiola
08-28-2007, 08:27 PM
As far as his press statements, he is the one out of context.

lekiboy
08-28-2007, 09:35 PM

henry atayde the SNAKE!* INAHAS nila ang san beda para makalimutan ang csb / orbeta / lasalle brothers fiasco!

just to be clear about this, the orbeta case is now with the prosecutor's office after the nbi has recommended the filing of charges (but the prosecutor later dropped most of the charges leaving only one minor charge).* whatever is happening in the ncaa now should not affect the orbeta case.* the orbeta case will prosper if indeed there is against orbeta, with or without the aljamal suspension issue.

and also, mr atayde is being quoted out of context.* this kind of posts is not helping at anyone at all especially those who are more interested in truth and fairness.

the attempt is admirable....but with atayde...naaahh...next time na lang.

davrub2003
08-29-2007, 05:15 AM

you can't be out of context if you are professing your own opinions. a person can be quoted out of context only. nobody quotes his ownself.

dread
08-29-2007, 05:28 AM

you can't be out of context if you are professing your own opinions.* a person can be quoted out of context only.* nobody quotes his ownself.

stating that on national tv.......

next question please :P

danny
08-29-2007, 06:21 AM
Our fellew gamefacer is correct, Bedans.

Stop.

christian
08-29-2007, 10:33 AM
But!!! ....ok..... ;D

LION
08-29-2007, 10:53 AM
Agree with danny.

We all know the reason why Mr. Atayde came up with that definition as seen on national television. I was also shocked and awed. :)

His statement has nothing to do with DLSU and CSB and therefore let's leave DLSU and CSB out of this. We have no issues with DLSU and CSB.

Everything has been settled already. Let's just move on and focus on the brighter side of things. :)

davrub2003
08-29-2007, 12:51 PM

you can't be out of context if you are professing your own opinions.* a person can be quoted out of context only.* nobody quotes his ownself.

stating that on national tv.......

next question please :P

WHAT??!!!

bluetruck
08-29-2007, 07:05 PM
this is an issue that needs to be investigated further. this* involves not just the ncaa but other leagues as well.* *it involves gambling syndicates and probably * the referees are also involved.* parang ayaw yata pa imbestigahan ng mga kinaukolan kasi ayaw madamay ang pangalan ng school kaya sinasabi nalang na isolated incident.* *there were already allegations of game fixing even as early as the* micaa days.* *this is our rare and probably only chance to go deeper into it ngayong merong nahuli.