PDA

View Full Version : Eliminations First Round Game 7: NU

bigfreeze_bibby
07-31-2007, 02:55 PM
Our first round schedule will end this Saturday against a dangerous NU team whom I always feel is a team can is really giving us a hard time everytime we face them. The team plays helter skelter basketball which makes it hard to defend since you don't really have an idea what they'll gonna do to you. In the past games with the Bulldogs whether it be UAAP or on off season tournaments, our press hardly works against these guys as they have masterfully employed an effective press break.

As for me, I think the key again for us will be our guard play plus some x-factors to bring into the game. I just hope that Rico will play smarter ball this time around (less silly fouls please?) and our big men can regain back their focus and strength against the NU frontline who is really good in terms of playing brawl and street ball under the basket. If we can adjust/vary the pressure formation and show different defensive formations to throw NU off their rhythm will also be a key for a 5th DLSU win on Saturday.

Will it be 5-2 for us or 4-3? Your thoughts please.

shyboy
07-31-2007, 03:04 PM
Ang x-factor dyan yung papapakalbo.

Lingao-Lingao isn't as effective as I thought he'd be. Fernandez isn't as streaky as Adamson's Cabahug. I feel Asoro is the key to NU's success this year.

It'll be 5-2 for us.

JVC
08-02-2007, 04:35 AM
NU relies heavily on their starting point guard (Janhke). He plays almost 30 minutes every game and has a very good assist to turn-over ratio.

If our guards could get him into foul-trouble early, I believe NU's backup guards would not be able to take up the slack.

bigfreeze_bibby
08-02-2007, 09:15 AM
But then as shown on our previous matches with NU, it's not all about the guards, it's the system of Manny Dandan working for them in breaking our press defense kaya most of the time we really have to rely on half court defense and good offensive game para talunin ang NU. Getting Jahnke into foul trouble early will help pero it won't guarantee a victory for us.

jembengzon
08-02-2007, 09:35 AM
bfb, agree with you here.* manny dandan is an underrated coach, who somehow gets his teams to play under your skin.* there are teams that are kontrapelo to certain teams, and NU is that type.* they have good invididual players - fernandez, asoro, janke, lingao-lingao, etc. -* who have a lot of streetball smarts in them.* to underestimate their abilities and coach dandan would be a mistake.

when coach dandan gets them playing on the same page, and motivated, they are dangerous, with fernandez's ability to stretch defenses,* janke's penetration, asoro's inside out and the bigs' post up games.* the other strength - or weakness, depending on how you look at it - is their ability to improvise, or "larong iskwater, going with the flow," which is great when within rhythm, or horrible when trying to mount a comeback and nothing's clicking.* their strength's are they have the talent base, and the system to beat the better teams in the league.

their weakness is mental - the ability to sustain concentration for 40 minutes, or gigil, wanting to put points on the board in a comeback bid, hence poor shot selection.* this actually plays to your team's strength of subjecting surprise pressing defense on the unsuspecting opponents.* * *if used properly, as you've shown* in the ust game, yoru defense can take the heart out of a team, and your players are* probably the most mentally tough in the league right now.*

putting the points on the board quickly, breaking them down with your defense in succession, and subjecting them to the press time and time again - that will be the key to taking them out of the game mentally.* you guys do that, you'll walk away with the win.* if Nu finds a way to break your press defense on a consistent basis, and gets you into a halfcourt game, they'll make a game of it, so your halfcourt defense will have to hold, until they start to panic and force shots.

bigfreeze_bibby
08-02-2007, 10:52 AM
There's one thing I am praying for: that is if NU will do what they did against Ateneo, that is to just throw those threeballs away kahit pilit yung mga attempts (provided that they will miss the shots of course), I think we can win on Saturday.

anghusay
08-02-2007, 09:21 PM
wag lang swertehin yung mga tres ng NU malaki ang chance ng DLSU. Raymond Aguilar is a very under rated big man for NU. IMHO, I think he is better than Lingao-lingao. also, I'm praying for another monster game from Casio and TY. Good luck to the Archers! lets get win number 5!

flsfnoeraekadad
08-04-2007, 09:39 PM
DLSU wins. Some notes:
- Better freethrow shooting for DLSU.
- Bader's break-out game. It came quite late pero it's good that it came during a crucial stretch.
- Rico and PJ committed silly fouls during the first quarter which really gave problems to the La Salle player rotation.

ewe_rach
08-04-2007, 10:41 PM
DLSU wins. Some notes:
- Better freethrow shooting for DLSU.
- Bader's break-out game. It came quite late pero it's good that it came during a crucial stretch.-
Rico and PJ committed silly fouls during the first quarter which really gave problems to the La Salle player rotation.

im glad that today was indeed his breakout game after a harmstring injury. those 2 3 pt shots were indeed crucial.
as for rico, well he had to sit again for too long due to his foul trouble and it was quite frustrating. but he made up to it during the last minute he was field in by coach franz.

good game archers!

flsfnoeraekadad
08-04-2007, 11:39 PM
I believe that some of Rico's unfortunate fouls are due to his "mapusok" and all-out attitude.

I mean he can play all-out but he has to control himself. Hindi lang sya maglalaro ng isang quarter. The team needs him now for most of the game.

bigfreeze_bibby
08-05-2007, 03:03 PM
We really have to look for additional scorers come second round because for sure marked men na sina TY and JV nun. NU showed a box-and-one defensive strategy kahapon and buti na lang Bader was there to save the day for us. Actually, kung na-convert din yung mga inside incursions ni James, it would've been a big help to us kaso di rin pumapasok kaya medyo nahirapan din tayo kahapon.

Anyways, a win is still a win no matter how hard or easy the game went. It's good to finish the first round at 2nd place. Improvements should be implemented from this point on. Eto na ang totoong UAAP season. I said this because by 2nd round, adjusted na mga teams nyan. They already know more or less the playing styles of all other 7 teams in the tournament.