PDA

View Full Version : Franz Pumaren as RP Youth honcho

Scout
07-17-2007, 06:33 AM
Now that it's public, I wonder how Ateneo took this bit of news....MVP's handpicking of Franz as RP Youth Head Coach is a testament to the mastery of his craft, isn't it?

i-point
07-17-2007, 09:40 AM
Pards, bakit mo naman nilagyan pa ng kulay ang balitang iyan? Wala namang umaalma. At saka, sa kabilang banda, puwede mo ring sabihing testamento ito sa kahusayan ni MVP, di ba?

LION
07-17-2007, 10:00 AM
We over look school affiliations when it comes to national interest. Kalimutan muna natin ang Ateneo at La Salle. Bayan muna.

Scout
07-17-2007, 12:22 PM
I was just asking, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers ;)

Wala bang umaalma? Meron ata eh.....

nightowl
07-17-2007, 12:26 PM
why no news on PEX and Gameface?

Franz Pumaren will do wonders for the National youth team. You've seen what he can do in molding the DLSU Green Archers; with better material to work with, Franz will have a great time as Team Coach.

Congratulations Franz!

Make the country proud.

bigfreeze_bibby
07-17-2007, 12:29 PM
This thread is considered probationary. *I'll monitor discussions to see if this goes wayward and if that happens, I'll delete this thread right away.

As to my own opinion on coach Franz's selection. *I am 50-50 about this. *Why? *Coach Franz has to split his duties as head coach of the Green Archers and as a newly appointed head coach of the RP Youth Squad. *I am not sure what will be the concrete effects of this in the future pero sana maging maganda ang resulta ng RP Youth Squad in the tournaments that they'll participate in. *I am also hoping that walang mag-suffer in both teams that coach Franz will deal with in their near future.

bigfreeze_bibby
07-17-2007, 12:33 PM
why no news on PEX and Gameface?

Franz Pumaren will do wonders for the National youth team. You've seen what he can do in molding the DLSU Green Archers; with better material to work with, Franz will have a great time as Team Coach.

Congratulations Franz!

Make the country proud.

I think there's a thread already put up in the General Discussion forums regarding the RP Youth Team. You may continue discussing anything about the team that coach Franz and his assistants plan to build up in that thread. This thread may or can serve as discussion thread for the possible future effects, whether short term or long term it may be for the Green Archers.

Kid Cubao
07-17-2007, 12:38 PM
about time that he was appointed RP youth head coach. he's gone full circle in a big way: he was first thrust into the spotlight as hector calma's chief backup in 1982. later on, he stewarded the philippine team when the director was sidelined for a prolonged spell after undergoing surgery and therapy in the US. congrats :)

oca
07-17-2007, 12:51 PM
This thread is considered probationary. *I'll monitor discussions to see if this goes wayward and if that happens, I'll delete this thread right away.

As to my own opinion on coach Franz's selection. *I am 50-50 about this. *Why? *Coach Franz has to split his duties as head coach of the Green Archers and as a newly appointed head coach of the RP Youth Squad. *I am not sure what will be the concrete effects of this in the future pero sana maging maganda ang resulta ng RP Youth Squad in the tournaments that they'll participate in. *I am also hoping that walang mag-suffer in both team that coach Franz will deal with in their near future.

I don't think you should worry too much na mapapabayaan ang Green Archers.

This is a Youth Team. Playing against the "manongs" of the PBL and non-PBL commercial teams will be enough exposure for the kids. Of course we should expect them to participate in few low key foreign tournaments to get a feel of the int'l game, but I don't think it will be as hectic as it is with the Men's NT. IMO, yung lang int'l competitions ang talagang kakain sa oras na dapat para sa Green Archers.

But after the ASEAN qualifiers, Asian championship na. In between, just how many youth events are there? At dahil hindi pa nakalatag ang programa, wala pa sa oras pag-isipan ang FIBA-World Youth. Matagal pa yan....as in.

blue scorpion
07-17-2007, 06:37 PM

As to my own opinion on coach Franz's selection. *I am 50-50 about this. *Why? *Coach Franz has to split his duties as head coach of the Green Archers and as a newly appointed head coach of the RP Youth Squad. *I am not sure what will be the concrete effects of this in the future pero sana maging maganda ang resulta ng RP Youth Squad in the tournaments that they'll participate in. *I am also hoping that walang mag-suffer in both teams that coach Franz will deal with in their near future.

Well, he does not have just two masters now. He has three remember that he is also a councilor in the third district of Quezon City. I do not know how Franz will take car of his three masters (La Salle, RP youth team and the third district of Quezon City)?

shyboy
07-17-2007, 09:27 PM
Well, many collegiate coaches do tend to have multiple responsibilities as they also do mentoring work in the PBL and/or the PBA. Jarencio with UST and San Miguel. Koy Banal, for a few years with 3 teams, FEU/SBC, Magnolia and Purefoods. In the past there were more, like Derek Pumaren, Joe Lipa, Louie Alas, Zamar. So I think this shouldn't be a real big problem for Coach Franz.

atenean_blooded
07-18-2007, 01:35 AM
This is great news. Pumaren's one of the most successful college coaches, arguably the most successful among his peers. I hope that he works closely with Chot Reyes, so that we'll have a steady pipeline of national team talents, and that he also pools together coaches from the UAAP who will undoubtedly contribute to the cause (ex. Adornado can help develop our shooters, Pumaren can train our guards, Black can train big men, etc.).

Mabuhay ang Pilipinas!

Bennie Bangag
07-18-2007, 05:41 AM
i was thinking along those lines, atenean_blooded. that is great news indeed. let's see how the chinese youth team backcourt solve the pumaren press samantalang hirap nga silang magbaba ng bola pag nakita na nilang may nakaabang sa midcourt ;D

bigfreeze_bibby
07-18-2007, 07:10 AM
i was thinking along those lines, atenean_blooded. that is great news indeed. let's see how the chinese youth team backcourt solve the pumaren press samantalang hirap nga silang magbaba ng bola pag nakita na nilang may nakaabang sa midcourt ;D

To think that they are tall and not good ballhandlers makes matters worse for them. I see things na may laban tayo in the youth level with all the talent that we see in the UAAP, NCAA, and the provincial leagues (Cebu, Negros, and Mindanao).

Kid Cubao
07-18-2007, 08:34 AM
i can already foresee that the chinese, taiwanese, and koreans will be forced to throw long but risky outlet passes if they can't inbound safely. dun pa lang sira na ang rhythm ng mga hayupak na yan, hahahahahaha!

nel
07-18-2007, 09:02 AM
While we may feel that La Salle may have something to lose with Franz's appointment (he may be out for part of next season, Sandy learning the ins-and-outs of the press), let's look at it from a bigger perspective. It's the national interest at stake here, the future of Philippine basketball is in his hands as well as those of his assistants (let's call them teammates instead).

Pumaren's game philosophy is better suited to the amateur and international game than the PBA coaches' approaches. He stresses teamwork, ball movement, with a healthy dose of outside shooting. No sets that rely on individual talent and one-on-one plays. Each player knows his role on the team, both on offense and defense. With a bigger talent pool to call on, he can form a team that can compete. Imagine the La Salle system plus nationwide recruitment of the best from all the schools. And this team will feed the seniors leagues and later on the PBA markets. Graduates of his team will have the needed team-first mentality, they will always be conscious about defense, and their fundamental skills will all be sharpened. That's good for our future.

About Sandy getting to pick Franz's brain, well, there's really no secret about what the system is all about. Sandy will definitely learn something, and I'm sure that Franz will also learn from Sandy. It'll make for a more competitive rivalry, which is probably preferrable to domination. I'll enjoy a close game with our rivals, and win or lose, it's still "Long live the Animo!".

GHRanger
07-18-2007, 09:43 AM
I agree, mas maganda ang posisyon ni coach Franz compared to coach Chot in terms of grooming the players. Habang bata pa tuturuan na sila ng fundamentals, defense, team play at pinakaimportante -- disiplina -- sa plays, sa shot selection, etc.

Sama mo pa si Senor Ato (kung okay siya), you have 2 disciplinarian coaches with a winning attitude.

I think the key here is to develop not a single pool but numerous competitive pools per location. Each pool will be supervised by Franz or a delegate with drills, training, etc that are in line with one another. From these Franz can pick up to form his youth pool. (pero it doesn't mean na disbanded na yung regional pools -- tuloy tuloy pa din dapat yung training nila.)

And yes, i'd like to see the nightmare press/golpe de gulat press/inbound(?) press/halfcourt traps on the chinese and arab states.

christian
07-18-2007, 10:38 AM
Maganda din ang magiging recruitment ng La Salle, as coach Franz will have inside track to the HS players :)

mighty_lion
07-18-2007, 12:34 PM
Agree. Coach Franz's signature full-court press and traps will make thier life miserable. I've seen some full court press D in international competition including college ranks pero walang itatapat yan sa pinoy version full court D (be it Franz, Badolato, Dindo & Alas version). Plus the fact yong mga junior players (high school and college) mas nagpapakamatay yan sa bola compared to professional ranks.

Scout
07-18-2007, 02:14 PM
Most likely young GIANts will play for the RP Youth IMHO.

;)

JonarSabilano
07-18-2007, 02:31 PM

;)

I think I know whom you're talking about.

If you're referring to the U-19 team, I don't think it'll be possible this year. For one, the World U-19 championships are ongoing as I write this. The player in question is 18 years old now and will be 19 next year, which will disqualify him from playing in any U-18 events in 2008. However, if he decides to go for the U-23 team, he just might get accepted, provided the tryouts don't fall right smack in the middle of the U.S. school year.

But then again, we're going OT here. All I can say about the choice of Franz as the youth team coach is that it's a no-brainer. He's the most accomplished active college coach active now, and with a brains trust consisting of no less than Seņor Ato and coach Sandy, our kids will be in good, capable hands.

BLUE HORSE
07-18-2007, 05:12 PM
The problem with forming U teams is scheduling. The various U teams are formed and the champ;ionships played during the summer break of American colleges. Gian Chiu and Japeth Aguilar should give the Philippine team the much needed height requirements of the U21 team. But who will be their teammates? The NCAA and the UAAP are in the thick of their league play while the championship of the world various U teams are under way. The UAAP and NCAA are loathe to release their star players to play for the national team while the league is under way unless both leagues change their scheduling and start the basketball season in October or January rather than July.

atenean_blooded
07-18-2007, 08:34 PM
Wonderful. If we can break their players' confidence as kids, maybe when our players grow up, we'll have a shot at the Olympics. ;D

bigfreeze_bibby
07-19-2007, 07:23 AM
In terms of schedule since napapag-usapan na rin yan, are we seeing a possible change of schedule for the collegiate leagues?

Ranger
07-19-2007, 09:24 AM

;)

If you're referring to the U-19 team, I don't think it'll be possible this year. For one, the World U-19 championships are ongoing as I write this. The player in question is 18 years old now and will be 19 next year, which will disqualify him from playing in any U-18 events in 2008. However, if he decides to go for the U-23 team, he just might get accepted, provided the tryouts don't fall right smack in the middle of the U.S. school year.

But then again, we're going OT here. All I can say about the choice of Franz as the youth team coach is that it's a no-brainer. He's the most accomplished active college coach active now, and with a brains trust consisting of no less than Seņor Ato and coach Sandy, our kids will be in good, capable hands.

It's not U-19... It's 19 and under...

JonarSabilano
07-19-2007, 09:37 AM

;)

I know. I just used U-19 because it's easier to type. ;D

Anyway, FIBA age-group tournaments go like this: Last year, FIBA-Asia held its U-18 qualifier for the World Championships. This year, since the players have turned a year older, the tournament is now called the U-19 World Championships.

Ranger
07-19-2007, 10:44 AM

;)

I know. I just used U-19 because it's easier to type. ;D

Anyway, FIBA age-group tournaments go like this: Last year, FIBA-Asia held its U-18 qualifier for the World Championships. This year, since the players have turned a year older, the tournament is now called the U-19 World Championships.

19 and under Youth tournament will be held July 2008. Gian will be 19 next yr and eligible to play..

JonarSabilano
07-19-2007, 11:06 AM

;)

I know. I just used U-19 because it's easier to type.* ;D

19 and under Youth tournament will be held July 2008. Gian will be 19 next yr and eligible to play..

The 19 and Under World Championships is ongoing now. The US team is bannered by Kansas State signee Michael Beasley and Dell Curry's son Stephen. They are currently 5-0.

However, Gian will be eligible for the U-21 Asian qualifiers, and if the Philippines gets through, he might play for the U-22 team the following year.

Ranger
07-20-2007, 01:45 PM
There will be a 19 and under also next year... kulit ata ah..

JonarSabilano
07-20-2007, 01:56 PM
There will be a 19 and under also next year... kulit ata ah..

I just checked the FIBA site. There will be a FIBA-Asia U18 championship for men starting Sept 1, 2008. The next U-19 will be in 2009.

http://www.fiba.com/pages/print/pages/eng/fc/even/cale/fibaCaleAll.asp8980.asp

Anyway, off-topic na. Back to Coach Franz.

Howard the Duck
07-24-2007, 11:33 AM
The only problem I can see is if franz will export his patented plays...

Joescoundrel
08-01-2007, 10:58 AM
The only problem I can see is if franz will export his patented plays...

Patent/s on...?

bigfreeze_bibby
08-02-2007, 09:17 AM
Regarding the plays, my own take here is that everybody knows how we play year in and year out. Wala nang secret dyan to other schools so I am not that much concerned na baka may ma-scout or ma-discover na plays yung ibang teams from coach Franz and from his playbook.

Joescoundrel
08-02-2007, 10:16 AM
I guess the bigger question is: What are the roles of the designated assistants going to be? Since Coach Franz was apparently not given the discretion to pick his own assistants, how do the designated assistants Sandy Arespacochaga and the very senior Ato Badolato fit in to this scheme of things.

GreenArrows
08-02-2007, 10:41 AM
From what I know, the proposed division of labor will be as follows:

Coach Ato Badolato will handle the training of the pool for players 14 and under (no snickering there, ok?)

Coach Sandy Arrespacochaga (tama ba?) will handle the training of the pool for players 17 and under

Coach Franz Pumaren will handle the training of the pool for players 19 and under.

Each of them will be given a free hand to appoint his own team of asst. coaches and trainers. This way, there is a progression in the development of the players.

Tommy Vercetti
08-08-2007, 12:18 AM
i hope Franz can really juggle his time both as La Salle head coach and as RP Youth Team coach.

all hail Vice City! ;D