PDA

View Full Version : The Future

George Best
07-10-2007, 11:09 PM
I've seen some junior games the past few months and I'm pleased to see 4 players who I think will lead us in the future. Take note, however, that I'm not hyping these kids but I'd like to point out their potentials.

1.) Joshua Webb (DLSZ) - this kid has it all. The strength, the moves, the body, the height and the spunk. I don't think I still have to discuss here what this kid is all about.

2.) Arky Go (DLSZ) - Yes. The left-handed guy who can shoot from the outside and drive to the basket. Very athletic and very scrappy.

3.) Ian De La Paz (LSGH) - Very impressive big man. Works hard on both ends of the court. Good good potential on this kid. I'm more impressed by him than Martin Reyes, at the moment.

4.) Nico Elorde (DLSZ) - a mature real pointguard at such a young age. Has quick thinking and plays smart basketball. Great potential to be a starting PG for any college team when he goes to college.

Apart from their obvious potentials, I seriously think these players can fit into the system that we are employing now. Athletic, agile, smart players who give their 100% everytime.

go_flames_go
07-10-2007, 11:24 PM
^ I haven't seen any of the junior games (being out of the country does that) but it's good to know that our homegrown pipeline of players is growing. This is evidenced by the good showing of both LSGH and DLSZ in their respective leagues. The performance of the zobel boys in the UP lineup also shows how our high school talents are getting the recognition and opportunities they deserve. I expect to see more highly recruited players from our high school system (hopefully not just LSGH and DLSZ). Mas maganda kung makaka-laro sila for us in the seniors level as well* :)

By the way, are these 4 players high school seniors right now?

bigfreeze_bibby
07-11-2007, 07:19 AM
Joshua Webb is in his senior year. I am not sure on the other kids. Martin Reyes of LSGH is also a good player based from what I've seen in some of the Greenies' games. He's the frontcourt partner of Ian De La Paz.

shyboy
07-11-2007, 07:42 AM
Vince Fran - LSGH
Matthew Sia - LSGH

Both are not playing for the Greenies in the NCAA at the moment, but they're seniors now if I'm not mistaken.

Rektikano
07-11-2007, 10:41 AM
Big Freeze, how about our 6'5" future who is in La Salle Taft already? hehe... ;D Open secret na ba 'to or tinatago pa ni Sir David64? ;D

bigfreeze_bibby
07-11-2007, 10:49 AM
Big Freeze, how about our 6'5" future who is in La Salle Taft already? hehe... ;D Open secret na ba 'to or tinatago pa ni Sir David64?* ;D

Mukhang kilala ko na yan ah hehe. Tingin ko tinatago pa yun. Di pa dapat malaman ng iba. 6'5" pa lang yan at 17 years old. Tatangkad pa yan ng ilang inches. I think he's in good shape with Joey S as his teacher sa low post.

boyscout
07-11-2007, 12:11 PM
I've seen Martin Reyes play for LSGH in the last inter Lasalle, he's pretty good and can fit the college system very well since he can run up and down the court with ease. Kayang kaya nya yung press defense play ng La Salle.

Webb is definetly above all other players right now in the Juniors division (NCAA and UAAP). I would rank him alongside Salva of LSGH/SBC and Buenafe of San Sebastian as top pick for next year's recruitment war. This kid plays with alot of intensity and emotion so people watch to either cheer or jeer him depending on which side they are on. A likely target of heckling by the blue side once La Salle and Ateneo meet.

Manguera and Okubo are two perimeter/3 pts shooters coming out of DLSZ. I would likened them to Migs De Asis and Martin Reyes for their shooting skills. They are also good defensive players who can implement the press defense very well. In fact, Manguerra contributed 20 pts in their first game against UE.

Fortuna is another player you guys should watch. He's the 15 year old starting pt guard who has very good passing skill, shooting skill and good court sense. Partner him with David Webb and they are like Mutt and Jeff of the Juniors Team.

Nico Elorde, Gwayne Capacio and Lugi De La Paz and others will still see action next year so they have time to hone their bball skills. Hopefully by the time they are in their senior year, they can lead the charge like what the current seniors are doing right now.

anghusay
07-12-2007, 08:11 PM
benjie paras has a son who is enrolled in lsgh grade 4 ata. same with danny ildefonso.

George Best
07-12-2007, 08:47 PM
I'm not really excited by 2nd generation stars especially that of past superstars. Although there are some who became really really good (Ritualo comes first to mind), majority were just overhyped because of their surnames. Does the name Dodot ring a bell? ;D

GreenArrows
07-13-2007, 06:48 AM
Big Freeze, how about our 6'5" future who is in La Salle Taft already? hehe... ;D Open secret na ba 'to or tinatago pa ni Sir David64? ;D

Mukhang kilala ko na yan ah hehe. Tingin ko tinatago pa yun. Di pa dapat malaman ng iba. 6'5" pa lang yan at 17 years old. Tatangkad pa yan ng ilang inches. I think he's in good shape with Joey S as his teacher sa low post.

Rek, bfb, I would suggest we not discuss him in this forum yet. People may think we are just trying to hype him. Let's keep it under wraps for the meantime and let his performance be his own unveiling perhaps next season. BFB, he is just turning 17 in September and is 6'5 1/2"

RAINMAN
07-13-2007, 03:48 PM
Re: The Future
Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 08:11:31 PM * *

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
benjie paras has a son who is enrolled in lsgh grade 4 ata.* same with danny ildefonso.

His name is Kobe Paras.* He's already 5'2.* A future 2 guard in the mold of soon to be LA Lakers Hall of Famer?

Ghostrider
07-13-2007, 05:20 PM
Re: The Future
Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 08:11:31 PM * *

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
benjie paras has a son who is enrolled in lsgh grade 4 ata.* same with danny ildefonso.

His name is Kobe Paras.* He's already 5'2.* A future 2 guard in the mold of soon to be LA Lakers Hall of Famer?

Isn't the older son, Andre also with you? I think he's the better baller.

Based on my own personal observation when he was still in the AGS, he was a quiet and polite boy more interested in arts and academics rather than physical endeavors.

Who knows, he maybe a late bloomer in sports. After all, both of his parents are very tall and you can't teach height.

Wishing all the best for the Paras brothers in LSGH.

admu14
07-13-2007, 10:48 PM
Big Freeze, how about our 6'5" future who is in La Salle Taft already? hehe... ;D Open secret na ba 'to or tinatago pa ni Sir David64?* ;D

itago na lang ba ito sa pangalang Vince Tinte?

George Best
07-13-2007, 11:31 PM
^^ No. Not Vince Tinte.

Itago na lang natin siya sa pangalang NC.

Northern Connection :D

bigfreeze_bibby
07-14-2007, 06:50 AM

Sorry sir pero hindi po.

Regarding ex and current PBA players' sons studying and playing basketball in LSGH sana matignan ito ng maayos ng coaching staff.* Sayang kung may makakawala na naman dito at lilipat sa ibang school.* It will be good if they can help both LSGH and DLSU-Taft in the future.

I think Gerry Esplana's son is also with LSGH if I'm not mistaken.

Rektikano
07-14-2007, 09:42 AM
Vince Tinte never made it to LSGH although he was with them in the pre season games. Another case of not making it academically.. :(

George, di na uso yung northern connection. Luma na yan.. :D :D

cl.blue.24
07-14-2007, 01:47 PM
Joshua Webb is in his senior year.* I am not sure on the other kids.* Martin Reyes of LSGH is also a good player based from what I've seen in some of the Greenies' games.* He's the frontcourt partner of Ian De La Paz.

Martin Reyes is currently a junior. Along with Ian De La Paz, they lead their team to victory. Both of them being the two leading scorers of the Greenies.

bigfreeze_bibby
07-15-2007, 07:07 AM
Vince Tinte never made it to LSGH although he was with them in the pre season games. Another case of not making it academically.. :(

George, di na uso yung northern connection. Luma na yan.. :D* :D

Nagulat ako actually nung lumabas yan hehe.

Wang-Bu
07-16-2007, 05:32 PM
Sana lumaki pa 'yung Capacio ng Zobel, gusto ko ng mga player na may tapang at angas, hindi katulad nung Capacio ng Ateneo, parang lelembot-lembot. Mag-utol ba ang dalawa?

shyboy
07-16-2007, 06:00 PM
^ Balita ko magkapatid daw yan, anak ni Eli Capacio. Galing Zobel din yung nasa Ateneo, na-pirate lang. Sabi nga nung isa sa Ap.com, mas magaling naman daw yung naiwan sa Zobel kaya okay lang din. Siguro lelembot-lembot din yung scout ng Ateneo kaya mali yung nakuha nila.

boyscout
07-16-2007, 07:28 PM
They are cousins. The one playing for DLSZ is the son of Glenn Capacio, I believe his name is Gwayne. The Capacio playing for Ateneo is the son of Eli.

shyboy
07-17-2007, 07:15 AM
^ Oops my bad. Napaghalo-halo ko na lahat ng nababasa ko. I need to take a short breather from all this basketball going on. :D

Rektikano
07-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Question is, kung gumaling ng husto itong si Gwayne, where will he go for college? Will Glenn Capacio allow him to go to La Salle and be under the tutelage of rival coach Franz or will Gwayne follow in the footsteps of former junior Archer Jorge Gallent who went to FEU for college?

Come to think of it, muntik na rin mangyari yan kay coach Leo Austria and Bacon Austria had coach Leo stayed on with the Falcons..

Speaking of Ely Capacio..Did you guys know that Ely graduated from La Salle Taft? ;D

orido
07-17-2007, 01:34 PM

Sorry sir pero hindi po.

Regarding ex and current PBA players' sons studying and playing basketball in LSGH sana matignan ito ng maayos ng coaching staff.* Sayang kung may makakawala na naman dito at lilipat sa ibang school.* It will be good if they can help both LSGH and DLSU-Taft in the future.

I think Gerry Esplana's son is also with LSGH if I'm not mistaken.

sa TFCA yun son ni gerry esplana

bigfreeze_bibby
07-17-2007, 03:20 PM
sa TFCA yun son ni gerry esplana

Thanks for the correction pre.

blue scorpion
07-17-2007, 06:32 PM
Question is, kung gumaling ng husto itong si Gwayne, where will he go for college? Will Glenn Capacio allow him to go to La Salle and be under the tutelage of rival coach Franz or will Gwayne follow in the footsteps of former junior Archer Jorge Gallent who went to FEU for college?

Well, depende siguro kung si Glenn Capacio pa ang magcocoach sa FEU pag magcocollege na si Gwayne. Baka hindi pa mag final four ang FEU at matanggal na kaagad sa head coach position si Capacio.

Bentot Jr
07-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Tito BFB and Tito Rek, totoo ba yung "southern connection"?

bigfreeze_bibby
07-19-2007, 07:21 AM
Tito BFB and Tito Rek, totoo ba yung "southern connection"?

Tingin ko if we're not that successful sa northern connection, then we should go to the opposite direction. I feel the connection down under can help us bring additional recruits for the next 5-8 years. Magagaling yung mga bata, I see potential in them and what's good is that for all positions siya, I mean ang sarap i-develop because you can see na gagaling pa sila.

Bentot Jr
07-20-2007, 11:42 AM
Rek and BFB, it was nice chit-chatting with you yesterday...
Btw, i suggest not talk about "CF" here in gameface.. we should keep it off-line.

kryptonite
07-30-2007, 08:17 AM

Come to think of it, muntik na rin mangyari yan kay coach Leo Austria and Bacon Austria had coach Leo stayed on with the Falcons..

Speaking of Ely Capacio..Did you guys know that Ely graduated from La Salle Taft? ;D

Ely Capacio played for DLSU Green Archers but I am not sure if he played in the NCAA before the Archers bolted the league.

kryptonite
07-30-2007, 08:20 AM

Well, depende siguro kung si Glenn Capacio pa ang magcocoach sa FEU pag magcocollege na si Gwayne. Baka hindi pa mag final four ang FEU at matanggal na kaagad sa head coach position si Capacio.

Kung ako naman si Glenn Capacio, I would consider giving my son the best education available for him. Education should be his priority before athletics just in case di umasenso sa basketball at least may fall back, di ba? Not implying anything.

GreenArrows
07-30-2007, 09:14 AM
Perhaps everyone is now aware that former Blue Eaglet GIAN CHIU, 18 years old and 6'8", is entering DLSU and will play for the Green Archers next season. Welcome to DLSU, Gian!

GreenArrows
07-30-2007, 11:01 AM
I was just told that high officials of a Katipunan school have been trying to convince Gian and his parents to change their minds and go to their school instead.

nel
07-30-2007, 12:05 PM
GA, Would you expect them to let him go just like that? It's natural for them to try to persuade his and his family to change their decision. After all, 6'8" cagers don't come by every day. I just hope that if Gian does finally study in La Salle, we don't see a repeat of the physical treatment that BJ Manalo got at the hands of his former teammates and the abuse he got from his former schoolmates.

kryptonite, I don't think that Ely Capacio ever played as a Green Archer despite his having studied and graduated from La Salle. Ditto for El Presidente Mon Fernandez.

Mateen Cleaves
07-30-2007, 01:08 PM
Perhaps everyone is now aware that former Blue Eaglet GIAN CHIU, 18 years old and 6'8", is entering DLSU and will play for the Green Archers next season. Welcome to DLSU, Gian!

Since he graduated from a foreign high school, would he not have to undergo two years of residency (regardless of which UAAP school he goes to)?

wolverine78ph
07-30-2007, 01:26 PM
Perhaps everyone is now aware that former Blue Eaglet GIAN CHIU, 18 years old and 6'8", is entering DLSU and will play for the Green Archers next season.* Welcome to DLSU, Gian!

So where is he now Sir GA?

bigfreeze_bibby
07-30-2007, 01:53 PM
Perhaps everyone is now aware that former Blue Eaglet GIAN CHIU, 18 years old and 6'8", is entering DLSU and will play for the Green Archers next season.* Welcome to DLSU, Gian!

Since he graduated from a foreign high school, would he not have to undergo two years of residency (regardless of which UAAP school he goes to)?

Correct me if I am wrong here but I think Gian has studied only 1 or 2 years abroad, that's why he won't fall on the 2 year residency rule.

greencm
07-30-2007, 02:07 PM
I remember seeing a team picture in the old gymnasium of Ely Capacio, Mon Fernandez and another notable member, Mike Bilbao. At the very least, they must have practiced together :)

GA, Would you expect them to let him go just like that? It's natural for them to try to persuade his and his family to change their decision. After all, 6'8" cagers don't come by every day. I just hope that if Gian does finally study in La Salle, we don't see a repeat of the physical treatment that BJ Manalo got at the hands of his former teammates and the abuse he got from his former schoolmates.

kryptonite, I don't think that Ely Capacio ever played as a Green Archer despite his having studied and graduated from La Salle. Ditto for El Presidente Mon Fernandez.

shyboy
07-30-2007, 06:44 PM

Sa wakas. I can now stop keeping my mouth shut. ;D

Gil_Andrews
07-30-2007, 09:33 PM

Sa wakas.* I can now stop keeping my mouth shut.* *;D

Sorry to frustrate my buddy GreenArrows and you guys but AS OF THIS WRITING, GIAN HAS NOT COMMITTED TO DLSU NOR TO ANY LOCAL COLLEGE SCHOOL.

He is already enrolled in Oberlin College and will go back to the US in September.

He may however consider playing under the guidance of Franz Pumaren for the 21 and under national team as long as this does not conflict with his studies abroad.

He and his family however appreciates the VIP tickets and the "hospitability" given to him by La Salle to watch the UAAP games.

Gil_Andrews
07-30-2007, 10:29 PM
I was just told that high officials of a Katipunan school have been trying to convince Gian and his parents to change their minds and go to their school instead.

GA my friend, I'm sure that nobody from team management nor any high official is trying to "convince Gian's parents to change their minds" because they did not commit to DLSU nor to any local school in the first place.

bchoter
07-31-2007, 05:05 PM
Two GAs . Two insiders. This is quite interesting

GreenArrows
07-31-2007, 07:06 PM
Yes, bchoter. But check all the fora. Nauna si Gil_Andrews. Wala pa atang internet, Gil_Andrews na siya! You know me, relative newbie lang me sa Net. Para bang totally INNOCENT AND PURE so to speak. ;D ;D ;D

GA, thanks for the clarification.

mltan
07-31-2007, 08:27 PM
i wonder who's telling the truth.....hmmmmmmm

Joescoundrel
08-01-2007, 10:56 AM

Sa wakas.* I can now stop keeping my mouth shut.* *;D

Sorry to frustrate my buddy GreenArrows and you guys but AS OF THIS WRITING, GIAN HAS NOT COMMITTED TO DLSU NOR TO ANY LOCAL COLLEGE SCHOOL.

He is already enrolled in Oberlin College and will go back to the US in September.

He may however consider playing under the guidance of Franz Pumaren for the 21 and under national team as long as this does not conflict with his studies abroad.

He and his family however appreciates the VIP tickets and the "hospitability" given to him by La Salle to watch the UAAP games.

Ateneo has a brand spanking new medical school if Gian really wants to play, este study locally... ;D

salsa caballero
08-01-2007, 03:13 PM
True...but really Joe, career-wise, it might be better for him to follow his Johns Hopkins dream. (local grads do get acccepted at Hopkins Medical School though :) )

ewe_rach
08-03-2007, 04:39 PM
True...but really Joe, career-wise, it might be better for him to follow his Johns Hopkins dream. (local grads do get acccepted at Hopkins Medical School though :) )

wow johns hopkins it is! if im given the chance, hehe syempre kabigin na! ;D

Tommy Vercetti
08-07-2007, 11:58 PM
i am wondering if Franz is looking for recruits in provincial Lasallian schools such as De La Salle Dasma, De La Salle Lipa, USLS, etc. baka doon tayo makakuha ng bago nating superstar. :D

all hail Vice City! ;D

asiy
09-11-2007, 11:18 PM
i know the season is still ongoing, but any update on the incoming recruits for the next season?

and question, where was Maanghas (forgive spelling if wrong) during the pre-suspension season?

bigfreeze_bibby
09-12-2007, 08:00 AM
Nothing's definite yet regarding recruits.* It's still too early to tell and discuss about these things.* As you have seen the various talk in other fora and threads, you may possibly get a hint on who goes to what as of this point but one thing's for sure, nothing is definite until we see those marquee players matriculate to a particular school for next season.

If you are referring to James, he is actually with La Salle already and with the Green Archer lineup since 2005.

LION
09-12-2007, 08:17 AM
^^ La Salle's potential recruits will always be classified until, as BFB said, they have actually matriculated. This is good policy because no school is really sure if they have a lock on a particular recruit despite "verbal assurances" or "commitment" from that player.

On the other hand, other schools publicly announce their potential recruits primarily to fend off other recruiters. In local parlance, "binabakuran".