PDA

View Full Version : Eliminations First Round Game 2: Adamson

bigfreeze_bibby
07-08-2007, 07:38 AM
On our next assignment, we will face another young and dangerous team in the form of the Adamson Falcons. I have seen them play in one occassion (I think it was the home and away game) and of course you cannot simply deduce possible outcomes based on one game alone. So what do you think will happen on this game? Will Patrick Cabahug fire up from all angles? Or will the Green Archers go on and book win number two in the eliminations?

jollibeeaddict
07-08-2007, 09:44 AM
the Archers would surely win over the Falcons with a breeze. remember that Adamson already lost its brilliant coach (Leo Austria) and its one-man team (Ken Bono). La Salle should, however, be aware of the presence of Patrick Cabahug and Roel Hugnatan.

bigfreeze_bibby
07-08-2007, 07:08 PM
If you have seen the game earlier of Adamson against Ateneo, Cabahug is one hell of a scorer but then has the tendency to take matters into his own hands and overshoots even if he has bad looks at the basket. What the Archers can take advantage of against Adamson is the bench battle. The bench players of Adamson are still untested and as you've seen also earlier, were not that reliable inside so expect more minutes for Cabahug, Hugnatan, and Canuday come our game on Saturday.

I don't expect as well to win big against this team. Just play hard, do not be overconfident and everything will be fine. I also hope to see improvements pn the next game especially the bench players to have more focus and limiting their turns so that we can take advantage Adamson's bench players.

cub
07-08-2007, 10:16 PM
chalk win number 2 for the archers. mahina lang ang adamson, parang yung kalaban nila kanina. :)

Kid Cubao
07-09-2007, 05:41 AM
win no. 2 for the green archers. simple as that. correction, carnage no. 2 for the green archers.

LION
07-09-2007, 07:26 AM
I think the MVP for the Archers this year will be Cholo Villanueva. Rico M., JV and Tyrone are good but Cholo is my favorite Archer.

This year is James Mangahas' break out year.

Rektikano
07-09-2007, 10:14 AM
I just hope we will have "comfortable" leads throughout the game so that Ferdinand can have some minutes. Ferdinand needs to have experience to compensate for Marko just in case Marko couldn't have a go for it this year. Also, he needs to have good preparations this year for he will take the place of Brian next year when Brian leaves. The same thing with Simon. It's good that he's already the chief backup for TY this year so that by next year, he's ready to take over the starting job.

nel
07-09-2007, 04:48 PM
I think that Franz will split the playing time at pg between Ty and Simon, maybe 60-40 unless the game gets tight and Ty has to be on the floor. Unfortunately, the frontline is kinda loaded, with PJ, Rico, Brian, James, Kish, and OJ, so Ferdinand will be hard pressed to get off the bench. I'd give us the clear edge here, assuming that the Archers can impose their will on the Adamson players from the start.

The Falcons are a relatively young team, and their bench is suspect. However, if they get hot and their shooters gain confidence, they can be a handful. We have to build a sizeable lead and control the game tempo to prevent them from getting any momentum. If the game is close at the end, anything can happen. Remember that they dragged Ateneo into overtime before eventually succumbing.

christian
07-09-2007, 05:05 PM
Kumusta yung injury ni Managahas?

bigfreeze_bibby
07-09-2007, 06:14 PM

It's a sprain and he can play on Saturday.

go_flames_go
07-09-2007, 11:43 PM

That's really good to hear. I was pleasantly surprised with his performance against the maroons. I guess I haven't been in the loop kaya medyo nagulat ako sa moves ng batang to. Did he play sa season 68? Saan ba siya galing? Ano basketball background niya? Parang bigla na lang siyang sumulpot eh (for me anyway)* :D

atenean_blooded
07-10-2007, 02:16 AM
The only way I see Adamson having a chance against La Salle in this game is if they jump to a 12-0 or more lead to start the game, since I've never known the Archers to be fond of playing catch-up.

Of course, that'll mean Cabahug will need to hit 4 treys or something like that. All La Salle will have to do is get him in foul trouble and then I'm sure La Salle's front line will make mincemeat out of Hugnatan.

The Archers are expected to win this one.

christian
07-10-2007, 10:58 AM

Thanks bfb, ilang years pa sya eligible?

bigfreeze_bibby
07-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Kumusta yung injury ni Mangahas?

Four years including this season. He's from batch 2005.

LION
07-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Kumusta yung injury ni Mangahas?

Four years including this season.* He's from batch 2005.

BFB,

Di ba magkasabay sila ni ogie menor? Ogie will just have 3 more years including this year. Unless hindi counted sa eligibility ng DLSU players yung suspension last year. If this is the case, blessing in disguise pa yung suspension.

shyboy
07-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Yes, di counted yung suspension as a playing year. But it'll count in the "7 year out of high school" eligibility period.

Rektikano
07-10-2007, 01:51 PM

That's really good to hear. I was pleasantly surprised with his performance against the maroons. I guess I haven't been in the loop kaya medyo nagulat ako sa moves ng batang to. Did he play sa season 68? Saan ba siya galing? Ano basketball background niya? Parang bigla na lang siyang sumulpot eh (for me anyway) :D

James Mangahas came from PCU high school. He was a rookie for us in 2005, part of the runner up team. While in PCU, he was one of the stalwarts there together with Rabeh Al Hussaini. His younger brother Allan Mangahas (who also came from PCU High) was almost an Archer himself but sad to say, things didn't work out. He's now in Mapua together with another former Archer, Randolph Soriano. Curiously, James never won the MVP in high school but Allan did in 2005. By the way, while James, who stands 6'3", plays both forward positions, Allan, at 5'9" is a combo guard naman.

Actually James has been showing good in the off season games this year starting from the HAIL to the Filoil and Nike leagues. At first, he just lacks the confidence but lately has been developing it quite well. The injuries to Peejay and Bader (who, in a way, play the same position as James) opened up opportunities for the guy and it's a good thing he took the initiative to grab it.

Now he realizes he's a vital cog to the team so let's hope he doesn't lose focus.

bigfreeze_bibby
07-10-2007, 02:20 PM
BFB,

Di ba magkasabay sila ni ogie menor?* Ogie* will just have 3 more years including this year.* Unless hindi counted sa eligibility ng DLSU players yung suspension last year.* If this is the case, blessing in disguise pa yung suspension.*

shyboy already answered your question pre. Our suspension last year didn't affect the eligibility of the players so James will have one more year as compared to his batchmates.

go_flames_go
07-10-2007, 09:40 PM

That's really good to hear. I was pleasantly surprised with his performance against the maroons. I guess I haven't been in the loop kaya medyo nagulat ako sa moves ng batang to. Did he play sa season 68? Saan ba siya galing? Ano basketball background niya? Parang bigla na lang siyang sumulpot eh (for me anyway) :D

James Mangahas came from PCU high school. He was a rookie for us in 2005, part of the runner up team. While in PCU, he was one of the stalwarts there together with Rabeh Al Hussaini. His younger brother Allan Mangahas (who also came from PCU High) was almost an Archer himself but sad to say, things didn't work out. He's now in Mapua together with another former Archer, Randolph Soriano. Curiously, James never won the MVP in high school but Allan did in 2005. By the way, while James, who stands 6'3", plays both forward positions, Allan, at 5'9" is a combo guard naman.

Actually James has been showing good in the off season games this year starting from the HAIL to the Filoil and Nike leagues. At first, he just lacks the confidence but lately has been developing it quite well. The injuries to Peejay and Bader (who, in a way, play the same position as James) opened up opportunities for the guy and it's a good thing he took the initiative to grab it.

Now he realizes he's a vital cog to the team so let's hope he doesn't lose focus.

Thanks for the background info, Rek. Talagang malaki yung improvement niya. Isa pang gusto ko sa kanya ... mukang walang yabang, laro lang tsaka sipag sa rebounding at depensa. Although, based on his game against the maroons, medyo kulang pa siya sa tira sa labas. Parang lahat ng puntos niya either putback, layup or back to the basket. Anyway good luck to him and the rest of the team. I hope he improves even more as the season progresses.

david64
07-11-2007, 07:16 AM
Actually, James M. can shoot from the outside, including 3's. He did that in the summer leagues, and other teams know that already, that's why he has already been considered a threat by the other teams.

Now that James has broken out of his shell, he'll do some damage for us on the basketball court. He's a good shooter that can go to the basket... and he has hops.

BTW, he will be ready for Saturday, and has started practicing already. The good taping on his ankle prevented a serious sprain.

LION
07-11-2007, 07:35 AM
Yes, di counted yung suspension as a playing year.* But it'll count in the "7 year out of high school" eligibility period.

Thanks.

Mangahas and our own Riego Gamalinda have the same height and almost the same skills. Pwedeng pwede sa PBA ang dalawang yan.

Lawdad
07-11-2007, 09:25 AM
The only way Adamson can upend DLSU is if the green machine doesn't show up.

Hate to say it, but this LaSalle team is strong, 3-deep in every position, relentless and focused.

Rektikano
07-11-2007, 10:36 AM
Going back to James, I can still see a lot of upsides from the guy. Marami pa yang pwedeng ipakita. And Sir David64 is right, James is an underrated jump shooter. Yan ang maganda sa kanya because he can also slash and drive kaya mahirap bantayan yan. Quadruple threat, 'ika nga. Shoot the jumper, Slash and drive, post up, put backs , the guy can do it all. Konting experience and confidence pa, okay na yan. Oh, and did I say, the guy can also jump and rebound? hehe.. ;D

nel
07-11-2007, 12:23 PM
No, you didn't. David64 said he had the hops. Is that contagious? If it is, I certainly hope the rest of the team gets it also. Hehehe.

shyboy
07-11-2007, 01:04 PM
Buti na lang he has the hops. Kay Ababou ang balita he has the heps...yan yung contagious. :D

Sorry guys, OT. :)

rush
07-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Going back to James, I can still see a lot of upsides from the guy. Marami pa yang pwedeng ipakita. And Sir David64 is right, James is an underrated jump shooter. Yan ang maganda sa kanya because he can also slash and drive kaya mahirap bantayan yan. Quadruple* threat, 'ika nga. Shoot the jumper, Slash and drive, post up, put backs , the guy can do it all. Konting experience and confidence pa, okay na yan. Oh, and did I say, the guy can also jump and rebound? hehe.. ;D

one thing he has to eliminate is his habit of kicking his legs after attempting from the perimeter with a defender rushing to block his shot. siguradong tatawagan ng offensive foul yan.

George Best
07-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Regarding James, who was the last inside player to play for us with such potential? I can't believe this is just the 2nd year of his eligibility. He can shoot and he can slash. He's got good postup moves too. If you even look at his physique, you'll realize more of his potential because the kid looks ripped already. After his impressive first game last Saturday, I can't help but think that we've just seen our potential go-to-guy in the years to come.

Funny thing about this is, we were more excited for Allan than James. Yun pala, the gem is already with us. Pakikintabin lang.

Rektikano
07-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Rush,

I think it's James' style regarding that habit of his. It's his way of getting power from his legs for his jumpshot. But I agree, some refs might call an offensive foul for that. Actually, natawagan na si James niyan during the off season games.

GeorgeBest,

Ok din naman si Allan. He wouldn't be NCAA juniors mvp for nothing. He's fast, can dribble, pass and has a wide array of offensive moves including jumpers and slashes. At one point last year, some of us even rated Allan more developed than Simon at that point. The father really wanted both James and Allan in one school but it was just not meant to be. I'm sure both Allan and Randolph can help Mapua's cause next year.

George Best
07-11-2007, 11:35 PM
I agree regarding Allan. May potential nga but somehow that time we overlooked James to the point that some even said that he's just on the team because we want Allan badly. It turned out to be wrong. Very wrong. Yun pala, the coaching staff saw something in him. Kaya pala they were always pushing him hard during the offseason because they can see his potential. Must be another case of 'magaling sa practice, kabado sa laro' syndrome.

Just to get back on topic: I'm a bit worried about this Adamson team. I still think that this is not a 2-man team. Kapag may nagstep-up diyan, mahirap kalaban yan. Madaling makalimutan si Cabahug once Canuday or some others step up so we must keep them out of their game. If you guys noticed, some of their players may be new to the UAAP but they play with discipline. They follow their play religiously and they are very patient with their offence.

bigfreeze_bibby
07-12-2007, 08:02 AM
Nakakapagtaka nung last game ng Falcons that Canuday wasn't able to get touches on the ball on the crucial stages of the game. Cabahug was just shooting recklessly kahit na wala na siyang ma-shoot. If Cabahug continues to do that in our game on Saturday, mas mapapadali ang buhay natin nyan due to lack of ball rotation, wag lang swertihin si Cabahug. I have to agree that Adamson's players do follow religiously their set plays.

Rektikano
07-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Agree with all of you regarding Adamson. Delikado rin yang si Canuday. The guy is a proven scorer plus, in a way, veteran na rin yan. If his triples and drives fall in, we might be in for a long afternoon. Plus it might open up things for Cabahug and Hugnatan. Hugnatan, I'm not too worried. I think our bigs can take him. I'm just curious what kind of defense we will throw at Cabahug. Everyone saw how he could shoot over anyone plus the guy's got range. Denial, perhaps?

I believe if we give Canuday a hard time bringing down the ball via the press, we will be in good shape. His backup is still untested, therefore if Leo tires out, delikado na Adamson dyan. Remember, Ateneo was able to come back when Adamson's big 3 went out of the game. But coach Bogs might have learned something from that already. Pundits were saying that he should have had left at least 1 or 2 vets in there when Ateneo went on that run. So let's see..

jollibeeaddict
07-14-2007, 06:42 PM
the De La Salle Green Archers blown the Adamson Falcons to bits, 99-75.

great game today by Maierhofer, most especially those back-to-back dunks that he did and posterized some Adamson Falcons. as always, great plays by Casio, Villanueva, Tang and Mangahas. La Salle was, simply, buried Adamson deep under the ground in spite of the early challenge posted by the Falcons lead by Cabahug. the Archers, with their athleticism and depth, would simply overwhelm a team like the Falcons.

as for the Falcons, well, for the most part it was another one-man show by Cabahug, with minor contributions from Hugnatan and Canuday. it seemed that in order to bring Adamson down, one team should bring these three main players, along with players such as Gonzalgo, down.

Mel
07-15-2007, 02:30 AM
I was so impressed with the confidence, relentlessness, and overall skill shown today by Casio.

bigfreeze_bibby
07-15-2007, 07:06 AM
The defensive adjustments made by the coaching staff worked well especially on Hugnatan. The timing for the double team is so good that Hugnatan had a difficult time reading the defense as to when to pass and when to shoot, most of the time resulting to a missed attempt. Cabahug's shooting kept them on the game but that's just it for the Falcons. I am also happy with the defensive ploys and coverages given to Cabahug. Canuday was the missing factor for this game for the Falcons.

On the offensive end, I've got nothing much to say regarding our performance yesterday. The plays were executed well and the players who has to take the shots delivered. Good thing also that we capitalized on our fast break opportunities which has given us the advantage in these past two games. Barua and Malabes got the necessary exposure that they needed in order for them to get back on track after thier respective injuries.

It's just another day in the office for the Green Archers and focus now shifts on the next game against FEU on Thursday.