PDA

View Full Version : Archers may bench questioned rookie

gameface_one
07-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Archers may bench questioned rookie

By Jasmine W. Payo
Inquirer
Last updated 05:55am (Mla time) 07/04/2007

MANILA, Philippines -- With the De La Salle University eager to rise from the horror of last year’s eligibility-induced suspension, the Archers no longer mind if they end up one-man short in their return stint in the 70th UAAP men’s basketball competition this Saturday.

The team announced that it is willing to go with a still-formidable lineup pending the submission of the complete eligibility papers of Fil-Bahraini Bader Malabes.

“Of course it’s better to have more bodies,” said Bro. Bernie Oca, La Salle’s representative to the UAAP Board. “But if we don’t meet the deadline, then he’s not eligible. We’ll just play with 14 (men).”

The board has given Malabes, a streaky rookie shooter, until Thursday to submit the documents from the Bureau of Immigration.

League rules limit the number of foreign players in each team to two.

La Salle has already listed Serbian Marko Batricevic and Indonesian Ferdinand as its two imports.

That means if Malabes doesn’t get documents proving his Filipino lineage, he will be listed as a foreigner, putting La Salle one over the allowed number of foreign players.

The Archers served a one-year suspension last year for inadvertently fielding two ineligible players in three consecutive seasons.

This year, the Archers return with Rico Maierhofer and TY Tang spearheading their debut against the University of the Philippines Maroons this Saturday at 2 p.m., right before the 4 p.m. clash between Far Eastern University and National University at the Araneta Coliseum in Quezon City.

Raging Blue
07-04-2007, 01:22 PM
Question lang po. Assuming Malabes is not able to submit the required eligibility documents to the UAAP board by Thursday this week, will he deemed a foreigner, for UAAP purposes, for the meantime? This means La Salle will have three foreigners in its line-up, including Batricevic and Ferdinand.

Considering La Salle already submitted a line-up with the names of the three players presumed to be foreigners, will they be technically violating the two foreign player limit rule-player and sanctions may result? Will La Sallle be allowed to drop one of the three presumed foreigners from their submitted line-up with no substitution allowed?

Considering reports Batricevic suffered a season-ending torn ACL injury, La Salle may insert Malabes as one of the two foreigners for the this season and redshirt Batricevic to save his eligibility. Presuming Malabes is able to secure the required Certificate of Recognition before UAAP season 71, can be be allowed to suit up as a Filipino by then and La Salle still be allowed to carry two foreigners in its line-up, presumably Batricevic and Ferdinand?

Jasmine Payo's article may have answered some of the questions I raised but we need clarifications on the latter issues I brought up.

Comments are welcome.

Bennie Bangag
07-04-2007, 02:20 PM
not an expert here, but bro. bernie himself considered the option of dropping badeer malabes if he can't secure the BI certification in time for the deadline. i'm almost certain this matter has been discussed in the last UAAP board meeting and that conditions have been set in case the documents being sought will not be produced.

malulutas ito pag mai-produce nila ang hinihinging dokumento kay malabes.

jembengzon
07-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Question lang po. Assuming Malabes is not able to submit the required eligibility documents to the UAAP board by Thursday this week, will he deemed a foreigner, for UAAP purposes, for the meantime? This means La Salle will have three foreigners in its line-up, including Batricevic and Ferdinand.

Considering La Salle already submitted a line-up with the names of the three players presumed to be foreigners, will they be technically violating the two foreign player limit rule-player and sanctions may result? Will La Sallle be allowed to drop one of the three presumed foreigners from their submitted line-up with no substitution allowed?

Considering reports* Batricevic suffered a season-ending torn ACL injury, La Salle may insert Malabes as one of the two foreigners for the this season and redshirt Batricevic to save his eligibility. Presuming Malabes is able to secure the required Certificate of Recognition before UAAP season 71, can be be allowed to suit up as a Filipino by then and La Salle still be allowed* to carry two foreigners in its line-up, presumably Batricevic and Ferdinand?* * *

Jasmine Payo's article may have answered some of the questions I raised but we need clarifications on the latter issues I brought up.

Comments are welcome.

i don't think medical redshirting is allowed in batriceic's case.* and yes, papano yan if malabes is classified as a foreigner and that brings dlsu's case to three, will they have to drop one ?* wasn't walsham also classified as a fil-foreigner or are his documents in order already ?*

shyboy
07-04-2007, 07:15 PM
From what I've heard, Walsham's papers are already complete and only Malabes' documents are pending.

I don't think there will be a problem if Malabes is eventually dropped from the team even if he's in the submitted lineup. We can use Noli Locsin's case in 1990 as basis. From what I remember, Locsin was declared ineligible three games into the season and those 3 won games which Locsin played in were eventually forfeited. La Salle nevertheless won all the remaining 11 games sans Locsin and went on to win the championship.

Basta siguro hindi maglalaro si Malabes, walang magiging problema.

George Best
07-04-2007, 09:22 PM
If Malabes fails to secure his papers then he is deemed ineligible. His eligibility status(no. of years allowed to play) is still complete.

If he is able to secure his papers and Marko is out for the season, he cannot replace Marko in the roster. Marko's and Malabes' names were both submmited to the UAAP eligibility committee. Whatever happens to Malabes' case, Marko loses a year of eligibility this year.

wolverine78ph
07-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Malabes will surely be missed in the Green Archers rotation, seeing this kid play during last year Fil-Oil invitational last year got me excited because he can shoot the lights out and is a very good player in the defensive trap of Coach Franz Pumaren.. :-[

bigfreeze_bibby
07-05-2007, 07:10 AM
Bader's BID documents have been secured and will be submitted to the UAAP eligibility committee today.

anghusay
07-05-2007, 08:04 AM
Bad news for the rest of the UAAP. I'm just wondering, why did DLSU wait until the last minute to submit Malabaes' documents?

bigfreeze_bibby
07-05-2007, 08:49 AM
I'll copy what GA had posted in ap.com with regards to securing these documents:

The BID Recognition papers have been issued as early as April this year. However, team management is making sure that there will be no doubt on Malabes' papers. So, we are also waiting for the signature of DOJ Sec. Gonzales to sign the DOJ AFFIRMATION of citizenship of Bader. The documents are on his table and he is expected to have signed it last night. With this AFFIRMATION, Bader will also apply for and get his Philippine Citizenship ID. This should all be ready by noon today. When we have all these papers, we will submit all of them to the Eligibility Committee.

Thus, we will submit the following:

1) BID Recognition - This is all the UAAP wants and was issued last April.
2) DOJ Affirmation - This is the document that the PBA requires of all its Fil-foreigners
3) Citizenship ID - This is issued to Fil foreigners so that they dont have to bring their Recgonition or Affirmation documents with them wherever they go. The ID serves the same purpose.

With submission of all three, there will be no room of doubt of Bader and Walsham's being Filipinos.

Bennie Bangag
07-05-2007, 09:32 AM
all's well that ends well. congrats to badeer, WELCOME TO THE UAAP :)

BigBlue
07-05-2007, 09:48 AM
whew... honestly, even if i'm not from DLSU, i'm quite relieved that this has been resolved already. for one thing all this talk of ineligibility, lack of documents, forged papers, its getting tiring. i'm looking forward to see Badeer play. I've seen him in the summer leagues and looks like he's got a lot of upside in his game. tama na daldalan. basketball na!

Rektikano
07-05-2007, 09:57 AM
all's well that ends well. congrats to badeer, WELCOME TO THE UAAP :)

...but his playing might still be delayed by a few games as he is still currently recuperating from an injury.

jembengzon
07-05-2007, 10:06 AM
I'll copy what GA had posted in ap.com with regards to securing these documents:

The BID Recognition papers have been issued as early as April this year. However, team management is making sure that there will be no doubt on Malabes' papers. So, we are also waiting for the signature of DOJ Sec. Gonzales to sign the DOJ AFFIRMATION of citizenship of Bader. The documents are on his table and he is expected to have signed it last night. With this AFFIRMATION, Bader will also apply for and get his Philippine Citizenship ID. This should all be ready by noon today. When we have all these papers, we will submit all of them to the Eligibility Committee.

Thus, we will submit the following:

1) BID Recognition - This is all the UAAP wants and was issued last April.
2) DOJ Affirmation - This is the document that the PBA requires of all its Fil-foreigners
3) Citizenship ID - This is issued to Fil foreigners so that they dont have to bring their Recgonition or Affirmation documents with them wherever they go. The ID serves the same purpose.

With submission of all three, there will be no room of doubt of Bader and Walsham's being Filipinos.

then a sincere congratulations to dlsu and specifically to walsham and malabes for ensuring the douments are in order. :) it's great to see that compliance after last year's hard lesson. hope other schools with pending players' eligibility issues follow suit.

wolverine78ph
07-06-2007, 12:05 AM
FEU is actually questioning both DLSU's Malabes and Walsham and ADMU's Kirk Long... >:(

GHRanger
07-06-2007, 09:47 AM
As far as DLSU is concerned though, Bader and PJ have been given the go signal from the UAAP. Contrary of course -- to Jasmine Payo's article. So before you guys read the article and start questioning, here is the excerpt from GA's post of AP.

As boss GA wrote:

--

DLSU photocopied the Affirmation and ID of Bader to the UAAP yesterday. After photocopying the docs, we faxed the same to the Eligibility Committee. However, in the photocopy, Br. Bernie signed on the photocopy "CERTIFIED TRUE COPY" along with his signature just to ensure that the document was genuine and that Br. Bernie himself was taking responsibility for them. When he signed, his signature overlapped the initials of two signatories in the ID. Thus, Mrs. De Leon of the EC said that parang kulang ang signatures.

When the original documents were shown to her a little over an hour ago, DLSU showed that the two officials initials were signed on the ID but was covered by Br. Bernie's signature on the photocopies. After seeing the originals herself and seeing all the necessary signatures, she assured the DLSU representatives that all the documents were in order. Like I said, we even gave the DoJ AFFIRMATION which is NOT required by the UAAP but required by the PBA. DLSU even showed the OFFICIAL RECEIPTS for the ID and all the documents we had.

--

So I believe for Bader, it's a done deal; we'll see him this season. A new assassin is in town, that makes 2 for DLSU.

gameface_one
07-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Archer’s eligibility papers fail to win over UAAP panel

By Jasmine W. Payo
Inquirer
Last updated 06:27am (Mla time) 07/06/2007

MANILA, Philippines -- De La Salle University has procured documents proving the Filipino lineage of rookie Bader Malabes, but the UAAP eligibility committee has remained unconvinced.

The panel will convene to discuss the eligibility status of Bader Malabes -- a streaky shooter from Bahrain -- after noting that the pertinent documents La Salle submitted Thursday lacked the signature of an associate commissioner from the Bureau of Immigration (BI).

La Salle faxed to the league copies of the BI certification of Malabes, including an affirmation from the Department of Justice, two days before the start of basketball competition this Saturday.

League rules limit to two the number of foreign players in each team.

The Archers have Serbian Marko Batricevic and Indonesian Ferdinand as its two imports.

Thus, fielding Malabes may put La Salle one over the number of foreign players.

The UAAP has asked the eligibility panel to decide on Malabes’ status by Saturday morning, just hours before the Archers debut against the University of the Philippines Maroons at 2 p.m. at the Araneta Coliseum in Quezon City.

Bro. Bernie Oca, La Salle’s representative to the UAAP board, earlier said the Archers were ready to compete with a 14-man roster even if Malabes was declared ineligible.

The Archers will return to action this season after serving a one-year suspension last year for inadvertently fielding two ineligible players in three consecutive seasons.

GreenArrows
07-06-2007, 05:40 PM
To write finis to this stupid episode, the UAAP Eligibility Committee has approved DLSU's Walsham and Malabes and Ateneo's Cassie Tioseco to play as FILIPINOS!

To Jasmine Payo, I guess you are wrong, AGAIN!